Speaker 1: Welcome to Bedtime Astronomy. Explore the wonders of the cosmos with our soothing Bedtime Astronomie podcast. Each episode offers a gentle journey through the stars, planets, and beyond, perfect for unwinding after a long day. Let's travel through the mysteries of the universe as you drift off into a peaceful slumber under the night sky.
Speaker 2: I want you to try kind of a thought experiment the next time you find yourself outside on a clear night, like a truly dark night. Maybe you're out camping away from the city lights.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, getting away from the light pollution is key for this.
Speaker 2: Right exactly. Yeah, So you're out there, and I want you to look up and just locate a patch of the sky that appears completely, unequivocally empty, just a black void sitting there between the stars of our local galaxy.
Speaker 3: Just absolute nothingness.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But here is the thing. Imagine staring into that absolute nothing and realizing that you are not looking at empty space at all.
Speaker 3: You're really not.
Speaker 2: No, you are looking directly down the barrel of a cosmic monster, basically, this astrophysical engine that is shining, you know, trillions of times brighter than.
Speaker 3: Our own sun trillions, which is a number that's just it's hard to even wrap your head around it.
Speaker 2: Really is, and it's just so unfathomably distant that by the time its light reaches your naked eye. The physical laws of the universe, stuff like the inverse square law and the actual expansion of space, have reduced this blinding, galaxy consuming inferno to absolute invisibility.
Speaker 3: It's completely invisible to us. And you know that realization forces a complete recalibration.
Speaker 2: Of your perspective.
Speaker 3: It totally does, Yeah, to realize that the darkest, quietest patches of our sky are actually harboring the most violent, luminous and just chaotic environments in the entire cosmos.
Speaker 2: It's wild. And that profound dissonance, you know, between what we actually see with our eye and what is truly out there in the dark, that is the foundation of our entire conversation today.
Speaker 3: It's a big one.
Speaker 2: It's massive, yeah, because we are looking at the recent discovery of the oldest intrinsically brightest objects ever observed in the universe.
Speaker 3: The absolute record breakers.
Speaker 2: Right. But the reason this is sending total shockwaves through astrophysics isn't just about logging, you know, a new record in some celestial catalogs.
Speaker 3: Some the Yeah, not at all. It's way bigger than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The sheer existence of these objects actively fractures our standard models of cosmology. Like it's a glaring paradox that tells us our entire timeline for how the early universe formed is either missing a crucial chapter or is just fundamentally wrong.
Speaker 3: Fundamentally wrong. Yeah, because the standard cosmological model we use, which is called Lambda CDM, it sets very very strict speed limits on how fast structures can grow after the Big.
Speaker 2: Bang, okay, speed limits on mass.
Speaker 3: So when you find these massive structures existing at a point in time when the universe honestly barely had time to cool down, you aren't just finding a new type of star or a new galaxy.
Speaker 2: You're finding something that shouldn't be there exactly.
Speaker 3: You are finding an anomaly that threatens to just pull the thread on our entire understanding of early structure formation. We are literally being forced to ask how something could acquire that much mass in a fraction of the time that physics says it requires.
Speaker 2: Right, which is just a massive headache for physicists. So to understand this paradox. I think they first need to dissect the engine itself, right, because we're talking about thirty one newly discovered quasars.
Speaker 3: Thirty one of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and for anyone casually following astronomy, I feel like the term quasar gets thrown around a lot, and you know, it's often used interchangeably with black holes. But they aren't actually the same thing, are they.
Speaker 3: No, they really aren't. They're related, but definitely not the same. So a quasar, which actually stands for quasi stellar radio source, just as a bit of trivia, is the intensely luminous region right at the center of an active early galaxy.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's a region, not an object itself, right.
Speaker 3: And it's powered by a supermassive black hole, But it's the activity that actually defines it as a quasar.
Speaker 2: Kidving, So like what the black hole is doing right in that.
Speaker 3: Moment, precisely like a dormant super massive black hole. For example, Sagittarius, a star right at the center of our own milky Way, that is not a quasar.
Speaker 2: Because it's basically on a diet right now.
Speaker 3: It's just sitting there, Yeah, exactly, it's fasting a quasar requires an active, just catastrophic influx of material. It is a highly specific, very transient phase in galactic evolution.
Speaker 2: I mean, it doesn't last forever.
Speaker 3: Right, it's fleeting on cosmic scales. The black hole is gobbling up the surrounding accretion disk of gas, dust, disrupted stars. Just an absolute feeding frenzy, an absolute feeding frenzy.
Speaker 2: And the luminosity generated by this process is just staggering.
Speaker 3: Oh it's blinding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, We're talking about a localized region of space outshining its entire host galaxy by a th of hundreds or even thousands thousands of time.
Speaker 3: Is brighter than billions of stars.
Speaker 2: Combined, which is just wow. But this is the part where I feel like the mechanics often get glossed over in standard science reporting, because the defining characteristic of a black hole is a gravitational well so speed that beyond the event horizon, the escape velocity is faster than the speed of light.
Speaker 3: Right, nothing gets out, not even light exactly.
Speaker 2: So if the central engine's primary function is to lock matter and light away forever from the observable universe, the blinding light we see obviously isn't coming from the black hole. Itself.
Speaker 3: Right, The light never actually crosses the event horizon to come back to us. It is a product of the macroscopic traffic jam sitting just outside.
Speaker 2: Of it, a cosmic traffic jam.
Speaker 3: I like that, Yeah, because as massive quantities of material fall toward that deep gravitational well, conservation of angular momentum basically prevents it from just dropping straight in.
Speaker 2: Because everything in space is spinning, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, it's all swirling, so it forms this flattened, rapidly spinning structure called an accretion disk.
Speaker 2: Okay, an accretion disc, which always makes me think of spacecraft re entering Earth's atmosphere.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a really good analogy, actually, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because a lot of people assume the heat of reentry comes from the spacecraft rubbing against the air, right, like rubbing your hands together to get warm, right, Just basic friction, But it's actually ram pressure. The spacecraft is pushing the atmospheric gas out of the way faster than the gas can physically move, which compresses it. And that intense compression is what generates the superheated plasma. So in an accretion disc, you have a somewhat similar dynamic, right, This extreme friction and compression just scaled up to a galactic terrifying level.
Speaker 3: That re entry analogy captures the thermodynamics perfectly because in the accretion disk orbital velocities are higher the closer you get to the center, so the inside lanes are moving way faster than the outside lanes, just like a racetrack exactly. So you have these concentric rings of plasma just shearing against one another at significant fractions of the speed of light.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And this differential rotation creates immense friction. But it is even more complex than just physical compression. We are dealing with highly magnetized plasma here.
Speaker 2: Okay, magnetized plasma.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's this thing called the magneto rotational instability or MRI. Not the brain scan, huh No, definitely not the brain scan. This MRI creates intense turbulence within the plasma and it acts as the main mechanism that actually transfers the angular momentum outward, which is what allows the mass to finally fall inward.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, let me make sure I've got this. So the magnetic fields are kind of acting like the brakes on a car. They transfer the spin energy out which slows the matter down enough so it can drop closer to the event horizon, and that heats it up to hundreds of thousands of degrees in the process.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, the gravitational potential energy of all that infalling matter is converted into kinetic energy, and then through that viscous sheer and the magnetic turbulence you mentioned, it turns into thermal energy.
Speaker 2: Heat, just mind blowing amounts of heat.
Speaker 3: Insane amounts. The plasma gets so unimaginably hot that it emits this continuous, screaming barrage of ultraviolet and X ray.
Speaker 2: Radiation, and that light is the quasar.
Speaker 3: That is the quasar. You are literally seeing the death knell of the matter right before it crosses the threshold and disappears forever.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's a messy eater at a cosmic buffet, and the glowing crumbs around its mouth are what we see from Earth.
Speaker 3: That is exactly it. And it is a violent but very brief era for the galaxy.
Speaker 2: Brief meaning what a few million.
Speaker 3: Years, yeah, roughly, Because it's not a steady state. The black hole basically clears out its immediate neighborhood, right It's blasting away a lot of the remaining gas with its own intense.
Speaker 2: Radiation pressure, like blowing away the smoke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And eventually the fuel just runs out, the quasar phase ends, the lights turn off, and it leaves a quiet, quiescent galaxy behind.
Speaker 2: Just a normal galaxy with a sleeping giant in the middle, like our Milky.
Speaker 3: Way exactly, Which is why capturing them in the act is essentially an exercise in cosmic archaeology. You have to look back to the specific epochs when galaxies were young, gas rich, and undergoing these violent mergers that funnel all that material right into their centers.
Speaker 2: Which brings us to the real core of this new data because we know what equas are is now. But the significance of this specific discovery by astronomer Damian Yang and his international team it lies entirely in when these thirty one quasars existed?
Speaker 3: The when is everything here?
Speaker 2: Right? Because in astrophysics, since the speed of light is a hard physical constant, looking across vast distances of space is functionally identical to looking backward in time.
Speaker 3: It is the ultimate non theoretical time machine. It really is, Yeah, because we aren't inferring the past through geological strata or fossils. We are directly observing the actual photons that left these accretion discs billions of years ago.
Speaker 2: Right, They've just been flying through space this whole time, exactly.
Speaker 3: The delay in the light's arrival provides us with a literal, live broadcast of the early.
Speaker 2: Universe, live broadcast, and these specific quasars we're talking about today, they are situated at the absolute extreme edge of our observational horizon, very edge.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: The accepted age of the universe is thirteen point eight billion years, and the light from the oldest pair of quasars in this newly discovered group of thirty one, it dates back to when the universe was roughly six hundred and seventy million years old.
Speaker 3: Which is just incredibly early. We really need to contextualize that six hundred and seventy million years. That is roughly five percent of the current age of the universe.
Speaker 2: Hacent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so for a human life span of say eighty years, that is the equivalent of looking at a four year old child. Oh wow, Okay, We are observing the cosmos in its absolute infancy, an era immediately following the very first large scale structural formations.
Speaker 2: A cosmic toggler, and the two absolute farthest objects in this data, which actually broke the previous twenty twenty one record by about twenty million years. They have these specific designations that highlight just how far back we are looking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the catalog names right.
Speaker 2: So we have eucl J one seven two and two nine sou nine er two point seventy five plus sixty four one zero eighteen point one, which sits at a red shift to seven point seven seven.
Speaker 3: Rules right off the tongue, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Just And the other one is eucl J one two five three zero eight point five to five plus seven zero five four three two point three, which sits at a red shift of seven point six'. Nine but for anyone, listening who isn't you, know spending their days looking at cosmological data, spreadsheets we should probably unpack why red shift is the metric used here rather than just saying thirteen point one billion light years.
Speaker 3: Away that's a great point because distance is actually a very fluid concept in an expanding.
Speaker 2: Universe, right space itself is.
Speaker 3: Stretchy exactly when that ultraviolet light was first emitted by the quasar's accretion disc thirteen point one billion years, ago the universe was physically smaller than it is, now and as that photon travels through space toward us over billions of, years the very metric of space itself is expanding underneath. It and this expansion literally stretches the physical wavelength of the.
Speaker 2: Photon so light that started out as highly energetic shirt wavelength ultraviolet, radiation it gets stretched out like a cosmic slinky as the universe expands while the light is in transit like a.
Speaker 3: Slinky, yes by the time it finally reaches our telescopes here in The Solar, system that ultraviolet light has been stretched so far that it has shifted out of the visible spectrum.
Speaker 2: Entirely, wait, really it's not even visible light.
Speaker 3: Anymore, nope it's shifted all the way down into the near. Infrared so THAT zz value the red shift number like seven point seven to. Seven it's a direct measurement of exactly how much that light has been. Stretched oh, okay it tells us exactly how much the universe has expanded since the moment that photon was, emitted which in turn gives us the most precise measurement possible of its age and its.
Speaker 2: Distance, Okay so a red shift of seven point seven to seven means the wavelength of the light has been stretched by a factor of eight point seventy seven compared to when it was first. Emitted that is just an incredible mathematical. Tool it's. Brilliant we are basically intercepting a thirteen billion year old signal that has been physically altered by the growth of the universe itself. Exactly and the reason astronomers are spending you, know millions of dollars in years of telescope time hunting for these specific high red shift objects isn't just to set records for The Guinness.
Speaker 3: Book definitely.
Speaker 2: Not, no these quasars exist during a very, specific fiercely debated transitional era called The epoch of. Realization, yes The epoch of.
Speaker 3: Realization this is perhaps the most, critical poorly understood phase in the universe's entire.
Speaker 2: History, okay let's set the stage for. That.
Speaker 3: Sure so to set the, stage about three hundred and eighty thousand years after The Big, bang the universe finally cooled down enough for protons and electrons to bind together and form the first neutral, atoms which was mostly. Hydrogen. Okay this process is universally called, recombination.
Speaker 2: Which is honest slightly confusing terminology because it was the first time they ever, combined, right not a. Recombination, yeah that.
Speaker 3: Is a classic quirk of astronomical naming. Conventions we're not great in naming, things fair, Enough but the result of this combination was that the entire universe became filled with this pervasive dark fog of neutral hydrogen. Gas there were no stars, yet there were no, galaxies.
Speaker 2: Just a giant dark cloud, exactly.
Speaker 3: Just an expanding cooling cloud of primordial. Gas this era is very aptly named the cosmic dark, ages.
Speaker 2: Right and because neutral hydrogen is fantastic at absorbing ultraviolet, light even if there was a light source in, there you wouldn't be able to see it from far away, anyway, Right.
Speaker 3: Exactly the fog was optically, thick it would block.
Speaker 2: Everything but obviously we don't live in a dark fog of neutral hydrogen. Today you can see the. Stars the universe today is mostly ionized. Plasma so something had to happen to clear that massive cosmic, fog.
Speaker 3: Right and that's something was. Gravity gravity slowly went to work on the fog very slight density fluctuations in that primordial gas began to clump together and collapse under their own.
Speaker 2: Weight forming the first.
Speaker 3: Star, yes it eventually ignited the very first generation of, stars which we call population three stars and the earliest infant. Galaxies and as these objects lit, up they began pumping out, massive massive amounts of ultraviolet.
Speaker 2: Radiation and this is where the actual reionization. Happens oh, no we got, it because that ENERGETIC uv radiation blasts, out hits the neutral hydrogen atoms in the surrounding, fog knocks the electrons away from the protons, again and turns the gas back into an ionized.
Speaker 3: Plasma, right and here's the. Key ionized gas is transparent to.
Speaker 2: Light, oh, so.
Speaker 3: These early stars and galaxies were essentially carving out these expanding bubbles of transparency within the dark.
Speaker 2: Fog like blowing bubbles in dark, water.
Speaker 3: Exactly until eventually those bubbles expanded so much that they, overlapped the fog was entirely burned, away and the universe became transparent on a.
Speaker 2: Macroscopic, scale and let there be.
Speaker 3: Light let there be. Light but studying how this, happened the exact timeline and mechanics of it is a massive observational challenge because.
Speaker 2: You're trying to see through a, fog to watch the fog.
Speaker 3: Clear, precisely you are trying to study a process that is obscured by the very fog it is trying to. Clear it's incredibly, difficult.
Speaker 2: Which is Where Daming yang's brilliant methodology really comes into, play because he describes using these ancient redshift seven quasars as. Lighthouses that's a great term for. It, Yeah because a quasar is so blindingly, bright its light acts like a high power beam cutting straight through whatever neutral fog is still left in its path toward.
Speaker 3: Us, Right, so astronomers look at the spectrum of the quasar's light when it finally arrives here On. Earth if the light passed through a patch of neutral hydrogen on its long, journey that hydrogen will absorb very specific wavelengths of the, light leaving dark gaps.
Speaker 2: In the, spectrum kind of like a. Barcode exactly like a.
Speaker 3: Barcode the most notable gap is called the Gun peterson prof and by reading those, gaps by reading that, barcode we can tell exactly where the neutral fog, was how thick it, was and at what specific point in time it.
Speaker 2: Existed, okay that is, Genius BUT i do have to push back a little bit on the lighthouse analogy, here or at least the utility of. It oh how, So, well if you are standing on a rocky coast in a really thick, fog a lighthouse beam only illuminates the narrow column of aera directly cuts through, right just a straight. Line you can see the water droplets in that specific. Beam, sure but you are still completely blind to the vast dark ocean surrounding. It so if aquasar only gives us a single pencil thin core sample through the intergalactic, medium how can one beam of light possibly tell us about the large scale topology of the entire early? Universe are the models just assuming the rest of the universe looks exactly like that one random core.
Speaker 3: Sample, No and that is a fantastic, point because that exact limitation is what plagued all the early real ionization. Studies, really so it was a, problem a massive. PROBLEM a single sightline is subject to huge cosmic. Variants if your one quasar happens to be sitting in an unusually dense patch of neutral, gas or maybe in an area that cleared out unusually early compared to everywhere.
Speaker 2: Else then your entire model of the universe becomes totally skewed by that one single.
Speaker 3: Anomaly, Exactly you cannot extrapolate global cosmology from a single skewer through the intergalactic.
Speaker 2: Medium, okay so how does finding thirty one of them solve the? Problem does it just give us more?
Speaker 3: Skewers it gives us a statistical. Distribution moving from just one or two known quasars at this extreme red shift to thirty one is literally the difference between a single flashlight beam in a dark forest and a widespread network of searchlights all pointing at you from different. Directions.
Speaker 2: Ah, okay so they cross over each. Other.
Speaker 3: Right with thirty one distinct sightlines distributed across completely different regions of the, sky astronomers can actually begin THREE d tomography of the early.
Speaker 2: Universe tomography like A ct.
Speaker 3: Scan exactly like A ct, scan we can start to map where the ionized bubbles, are how large they have grown in different, sectors and we can trace the timeline of when they finally percolate and merge. Together we move from an anecdotal observation to a comprehensive THREE d map of the cosmic.
Speaker 2: Fog, wow we are essentially charting the topography of the dawn of. Light that's just an incredible achievement for, humanity really. Is and here's the massive twist in the narrative for. Today while these thirty one lighthouses are exactly the tools we need to solve the mystery of the Dark, ages the very fact that we can see them at all has exposed an entirely, new much more alarming.
Speaker 3: Problem, yeah this is the big.
Speaker 2: One we have mapped the, fog, sure but the lighthouses themselves shouldn't physically exist. Yet.
Speaker 3: Right this is what we call the perplexing mystery of, mass and, honestly it is the intellectual climax of this entire data. Set it is the paradox that is actively keeping theoretical astrophysicists awake at.
Speaker 2: Night right, now let's lay out the sheer scale of the problem here so everyone understands why this is panic. Inducing these newly discovered quasars are powered by super massive black. Holes and we aren't talking about stellar mass black holes that are you, know a few dozen times the mass of our, Son.
Speaker 3: No not at.
Speaker 2: All these black, holes, wait billions of times the mass.
Speaker 3: Of our son billions with A, b and we are observing them when the universe is only six hundred and seventy million.
Speaker 2: Years, old, which like we said, earlier sounds like a long time to a, human but on a cosmic, scale it is less than the blink of an. Eye the studies co Author Joseph, henowy he summed it up perfectly when he, said every step further back in time makes the puzzle more. Perplexing it really.
Speaker 3: Does it's a massive.
Speaker 2: Contradiction to put it in. Perspective for you, listening imagine walking into a kindergarten classroom to preserve a group of five year. Olds, right you expect to see children who have grown at a biologically standard, rate.
Speaker 3: Little kids doing little kid.
Speaker 2: Stuff, Right but sitting right there in the middle of the reading, circle cross legged on the rug is a fully, grown heavily, muscled seven foot tall adult, man.
Speaker 3: Just towering over.
Speaker 2: Everyone it completely breaks your understanding of the biological. Timeline you know definitively that a human being cannot accrue that much bone density and muscle mass in just five. Years the time required simply does not. Exist that is.
Speaker 3: Perfect analogy because the astrophysical equivalent of that timeline. Constraint the biological limit of bone growth in your example is governed by something called The eddington.
Speaker 2: Limit, okay what is The eddington?
Speaker 3: Limit so black holes do not just consume matter, Instantly there is a strict physical speed limit on their, growth as matter falls into the black hole and heats up in that accretion disc we talked about it emits intense, radiation the blinding, light, Right and light actually carries, momentum so that outward radiation pressure physically pushes back against the inward pull of.
Speaker 2: Gravity oh, so if a black hole tries to eat too, fast the light it generates actually blows the food away from its.
Speaker 3: Mouth, precisely it chokes on its own. Light The eddington limit is the exact balancing point where the inward gravitational force equals the outward radiation.
Speaker 2: Pressure, okay so it can't eat any faster than that. Limit.
Speaker 3: Right so if we assume a black hole is feeling at its absolute maximum theoretical rate The eddington, limit we can calculate its e folding.
Speaker 2: Time which means what.
Speaker 3: Exactly it's roughly how long it takes for a black hole to double its. Mass under standard, physics that e folding time is about forty five to fifty million, years.
Speaker 2: Okay fifty million years to double in. Size so let's run the math on the standard cosmological model with that limit in. Mind if the very first star is formed around two hundred million years after The Big.
Speaker 3: Bang which is the accepted, timeline, yes.
Speaker 2: And the most massive among those first stars collapse to form seed black holes of maybe one hundred solar. Masses that means you have about four hundred and seventy million years between when they were born and the six hundred and seventy million year mark where we're currently observing these gi koisars, exactly.
Speaker 3: Which gives you roughly ten e folding times ten chances to double in. Size so if you double one hundred solar mass black hole ten, times so one hundred goes to two hundred and two hundred and four hundred and so, on you get roughly one hundred thousand solar.
Speaker 2: Masses But Damian yang's team is observing black holes that are billions of solar masses.
Speaker 3: Billions we are off by a factor of ten. Thousand. Wow, yeah the math definitively proves that you cannot grow a billion solar mass black hole from a stellar remnant in four hundred and seventy million. Years using standard decretion, physics it is. Impossible it is.
Speaker 2: A profound glaring hole in our understanding of. Physics it means one of our foundational assumptions is just straight up. Wrong like either they found a way to cheat The eddington limit and eat vastly faster than physics should, allow or they didn't start as stellar mass.
Speaker 3: Seeds those are exactly the two leading hypotheses that are currently tearing the astrophysical community. Apart right, now it's a huge.
Speaker 2: Debate, okay let's look at the first, option Super eddington accretion eating faster than the speed.
Speaker 3: Limit Right, so there are theoretical models suggesting that under very specific weird, conditions like a highly disorganized chaotic accretion flow or what we call a slim, disc the radiation can actually get trapped inside.
Speaker 2: The flow so it doesn't push the food away.
Speaker 3: Exactly which allows the black hole to gorge itself way faster than the theoretical, limit but sustaining Super eddington accretion for hundreds of millions of years continuously without blowing the entire host galaxy. Apart that is a severe.
Speaker 2: Stretch it sounds like grasping its straws to make the math. Work. Yeah so what about the other, option the heavy sea, hypothesis the idea that they didn't start as the corpses of stars at, all but were basically born as.
Speaker 3: Giants, yes the direct collapse black hole theory OR. DCBHs this theory posits that in the very early universe you had these, colossal pristine clouds of hydrogen gas that didn't just fragment into thousands of smaller stars like they normally.
Speaker 2: Do, well wouldn't they fragment because of the.
Speaker 3: Intense back ground ultraviolet radiation from other early, stars which prevented the gas cloud from cooling down and breaking. Apart so, instead the entire massive cloud collapsed under its own gravity directly into a black.
Speaker 2: Hole no scar phase at, all just gas cloud straight to black.
Speaker 3: Hole, Right and that creates a seed that was already ten thousand to one hundred thousand solar masses right from the starting.
Speaker 2: Line oh, well if you start the race at the halfway, line hitting a billion solar masses by the six hundred and seventy million year, mark suddenly becomes mathematically feasible.
Speaker 3: Exactly it solves the timeline.
Speaker 2: Issue but to prove either of these, theories we need observational, data. Right we can't just rely on theoretical math and need. Ideas we need an instrument capable of finding a needle in a universal, haystack which brings us to the actual technological marvel that enabled this discovery in the first, place The Euclid telescope OH.
Speaker 3: Euclid it is an absolute game changer for. Cosmology it's A European Space agency mission launched just recently in twenty twenty, three And Damon yang specif secifically CITED euclid as the tool that completely transformed this.
Speaker 2: Field how, so what makes it so special compared to Say Hubble.
Speaker 3: Well to put its efficiency in, perspective previous quasar hunts relied heavily on ground based observatories or very highly targeted space. Observations it literally took decades to, slowly painstakingly build a catalog of ancient quasars pointing.
Speaker 2: A tiny strotha sky and hoping you see something.
Speaker 3: Exactly BUT, euclid in just two years of, operation has essentially doubled the known number of these redshift seven.
Speaker 2: Objects that's. Insane it achieved in twenty four months what previously took the entire global astronomical community decades to. Do it's a. Powerhouse and the reason it is so incredibly effective comes down to where it is parked and how it sees the sky right because euclid is not in Low earth orbit like The Hubble Space. Telescope it is positioned at lagrange point two OR l, two which is about one point five million kilometers away From.
Speaker 3: Earth, yes and the orbital mechanics OF l two are absolutely vital for infrared.
Speaker 2: Astronomy why is? That why does it need to be one point five million kilometers? Away what advantage does that specific hovering spot give us over just being In earth's immediate.
Speaker 3: Orbit it's all about. Heat when you are in Low earth, orbit you are subjected to a brutal thermal.
Speaker 2: Environment because The earth is.
Speaker 3: Hot The earth is incredibly, bright both in reflected sunlight but also in its own thermal infrared. Glow, plus when a satellite is in Low earth, orbit it constantly passes in and out Of earth's shadow right day, night day, night every ninety, minutes.
Speaker 2: Oh meaning it it experiences massive temperature swings.
Speaker 3: Exactly and those temperature swings cause the structural components and crucially the mirrors to physically expand and contract over and.
Speaker 2: Over. Uh and you cannot take a deeply, exposed highly sensitive image of a very faint infrared source thirteen billion light years away if your telescope mirror is physically warping because The sun just came.
Speaker 3: Up, exactly it would be a blurry. Mess by placing euclid AT l, two it sits in this gravityational sweet spot where it orbits The sun at the exact same rate as The, earth.
Speaker 2: So it's always in the same spot relative to. Us.
Speaker 3: Right it constantly keeps The, earth The, sun and The moon directly behind, it so it employs this massive sunshield to block out all that local heat and, light allowing its, instruments specifically the near infrared spectrometer and photometer AND isp to radiatively cool down to highly stable freezing.
Speaker 2: Temperatures and from that perfectly stable cold vantage, point it just gazes outward into the deep cosmos without any.
Speaker 3: Interruptions and what it is doing out there is surveying an unprecedented volume of.
Speaker 2: Space, YEAH i saw a graphic from the study mapping THE euclid survey against the cosmic. Background if you look at an all sky map like the one from The Plank mission in twenty, fourteen the dominant feature is this, bright glowing horizontal band slicing right across the middle.
Speaker 3: Right which is the plan of our Own Milky way, dollancy.
Speaker 2: And it's packed with, gas dust and, stars which astronomers actually refer to as the zone of, avoidance which is such a cool, name like A solfai. Movie it totally, does but it's called that because looking through The Milky way to try and see the deep universe is like trying to look at the faint stars while standing directly under a glaring street.
Speaker 3: Light you just can't see anything past the. Glare So euclid intentionally points away from the galactic. Plane it surveys the high galactic. Latitudes the survey footprint sweeps across these massive dark swaths of the.
Speaker 2: Deep sky casts a wide, net very wide.
Speaker 3: Net it is designed specifically for wide field. Imaging it doesn't have the extreme magnification of something Like James, web but it has a massive field of. View it is actively looking for the anovelists red, dots the high red shift quasars hiding among billions of standard.
Speaker 2: Galaxies so you could cast the, widest most sensitive net in astronomical, history and it identifies the thirty one yellow and red dots out of a literal sea of background. Noise but finding them is only the first half of the, operation isn't it just the first? Step, yeah because euclid tells us where the impossible monsters are. Hiding but to figure out how they grew so massive so, fast we have to transition from the scout to the magnifying, glass which introduces the next phase of the, investigation relying on The James webs based. Telescope oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: The synergy between euclid And James web is what will ultimately resolve this entire mass. Paradox as Daming yang, NOTED jwst has already begun follow up observations on these newly discovered. Quasars the data is literally currently being downloaded and processed as we.
Speaker 2: Speak which is so. Exciting so IF euclid is the wide angle lens mapping the, Forest James web is the microscope examining the cellular structure of a single.
Speaker 3: Leaf that's exactly. IT jadabst possesses unparalleled infrared spectroscopic, capabilities specifically with its instruments called integral field.
Speaker 2: Units what are those? Two?
Speaker 3: Well WHEN web points at one of these new, quasars it isn't just taking a pretty. Picture it is literally dissecting the light pixel by pixel to analyze the chemical, composition the velocity of the gas swirling, around and the temper of the accretion disk.
Speaker 2: Itself it can actually look at the host galaxy surrounding the, quasar right because right now we just see the blazing light of the black holes Feeding, frenzy.
Speaker 3: Right the glare hides everything.
Speaker 2: Else but if we want to know if it grew via Super eddington accretion or if it started as a massive direct collapse, seed we need to see the environment it grew up in.
Speaker 3: EXACTLY jwst will allow astronomers to measure the metallicity of the gas in that host, galaxy meaning how many heavier elements have been forged by early star. Deaths it will measure the kinematics the movement of the host galaxy to see just how massive the galaxy itself.
Speaker 2: Is are these giant black holes sitting inside equally massive giant galaxies or are they vastly outgrowing their, hosts.
Speaker 3: Which is a crucial, question and all of this feeds directly Into Joseph henery's ultimate vision for this. Research he stated that the goal of compiling all this data is to construct a quasar chronicle of the first billion.
Speaker 2: YEARS a quasar chronicle that sounds, epic but what is that the chronicle actually look like in? Practice how does it solve the?
Speaker 3: Timeline, well a chronicle implies a sequential, narrative, right a story with a, beginning, middle and. End right, now we only have isolated static. Snapshots we see the giants sitting in the kindergarten, class but we don't have its medical records or its baby. Pictures we don't know how it got.
Speaker 2: THERE i just know it is there.
Speaker 3: Exactly so the quaser chronicle aims to populate the. Timeline if euclid confine quasars not just at six hundred and seventy million, years but maybe at five hundred, million four hundred, million and three hundred million years after The Big, bang we can finally chart a real growth.
Speaker 2: Curve, ah we can see if the mass drops off linearly as we go, back which might support the heavy seed theory because they started big or if the mass drops off, precipitously which might indicate a, sudden violently fast period of Super eddington.
Speaker 3: Growth, precisely the chronicle will provide the missing transitional fossils of early cosmic. Evolution it will definitively tell us whether we just need to slightly tweak the physics of accretion, disks or if we need to completely overhaul our entire understanding of how matter behaves in the primordial.
Speaker 2: UNIVERSE i, mean we are standing on the precipice of a profound paradigm shift. Here the architecture of the, cosmos the timeline of its, infancy the mechanics of its most extreme. Engines all of it is up for debate right now because of thirty one distant red.
Speaker 3: Dots it's thrilling time to be in the, field it really.
Speaker 1: Is.
Speaker 2: YEAH i mean to synthesize the scale of what we are witnessing here, today we have decoded the violent frictional mechanics of supermassive black holes actively consuming galactic. Material we have leveraged the metric expansion of space itself to look back thirteen point one billion years in.
Speaker 3: Time using the universe as a.
Speaker 2: Lens, yeah we are utilizing these ancient quasars as cosmic lighthouses to perform THREE d tomography on the neutral hydrogen fog of the dark, ages mapping the.
Speaker 3: Unmappable.
Speaker 2: Exactly, Yeah yet the very tools we are using to map the early universe completely break the mathematical limits of how fast masks can, accumulate forcing us to question the foundational physics of structure. Formation and it is the unprecedented wide field infrared capabilities of The euclid telescope that has finally dragged these paradoxes out of the.
Speaker 3: Dark it is the ultimate testament to the scientific. Method, honestly we build better, instruments we look, deeper and the universe obliges by revealing complexities that prove our existing models are totally.
Speaker 2: Inadequate it's a beautifully humbling, realization it really, is which brings me back to the thought experiment we started. With, today when you look up at that seemingly empty patch of night, sky you now know it is hiding ancient billion solar mass engines that mathematically shouldn't even.
Speaker 3: Exist they're right, there hiding in plain.
Speaker 2: Sight but it leaves you with a much, deeper far more unsettling question to think. About if our fundamental models of the universe are missing something as massive as how these colossal black holes manage to form in the blink of a cosmic, eye what other basic assumption about the reality of our universe are completely entirely, Wrong.
Speaker 3: That's the real.
Speaker 2: Question what other impossible structures are hiding out there in the, dark just waiting for us to build a telescope powerful enough to prove them. Real