Speaker 1: And now your host for Morongo Casino Dodgers on Te tam.
Speaker 2: Chase everybody, and welcome in to Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 3: You hope you're enjoying your Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Your Los Angeles Dodgers ninety two and sixty three on this season, first place, the top the NL West. The magic number to clinch the division still remains at five after a win over the Rockies in this series opener. The Dodgers dropped the second game of this series last night, but they look to get the series win today with well, what is supposed to be a really good pitching matchup for the Dodgers as Yoshinobu Yamamoto goes to the mound for the blue first pitch coming up at one ten. Between then and now, we got a lot to get to here on Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, You're gonna hear from David Vasse, our Dodger insidner. He'll go one on one with Jackson Ferris, the Dodgers' top minor league pitching prospect who was honored just a couple of days ago. We'll hear from Dodger manager Dave Roberts will dive deeper into this pitching matchup. We got your Dodgers magical moment coming up in about thirty minutes. Shortly, we'll hear from Kirsten Watson from Sports Net LA. In a just a few minutes, we'll check in with Tim Nevertt and Rick Monday out at the Galpin Motors Broadcast booth. Well, last night, the Dodgers let one get away as Bueller's not quite back yet, but he's getting there. Walker Buehler got the start, the right hander trying to show he's good for the postseason. Win five and a third innings, allowed four runs on five hits, but he's struck out nine along the way. He gave up a run in the first, two more in the second as the Dodgers found themselves down three to nothing. In the third, though the Dodgers' offense able to get a few backs show Hey O Tani a two out walk. Next batter Mookie Betts with a breadth the fresh air moment of the game.
Speaker 4: Hitch the Mookie swings hits a drive tat to left. This ball heading back at Mookie Bets his ain't take for the season. Mookie makes it a three to two games Marcus.
Speaker 5: When Betts heads around.
Speaker 6: The bases, he'll touch home, getting old Tanaim Harbi.
Speaker 4: Seventy one and seventy two for.
Speaker 2: Mookie Bets two run home run for Mookie.
Speaker 3: Dodgers down three to two.
Speaker 2: The breath of fresh air moment of the game brought to by a Tar Mechanical looking for reliable heating and air conditioning services here in southern California. A Tar Mechanicals, your trusted partner, Omar Brittany, the founder's great people.
Speaker 3: Their service is more than just a solution.
Speaker 2: It's the breath of fresh air from the moment you call to the completion of your project. A Tar Mechanical delivers friendly, honest service at a fair price. Dodgers down three to two, and the fourth when again a little two hour magic, this time from Hunter Fordusia an RBI single, scoring Max Munsey and the game was tied at three, but not for long. Walker Bueler on the mound went back out to pitch the fifth inning when the Rockies retook the lead.
Speaker 7: Third baseman Ryan McMahon is oh for two East swings. It's a high fly ball to left in deep pay Oscar back to the wall. It is gone an opposite field home run and the Rockies have retaken the lead on a two out round tripper by Ryan McMahon. It is four to three of Colorado.
Speaker 2: Solo home run from the Ford to modern day product says, the Rockies took a four to three lead. That is the top tier player the game sponsored by Arco Quality top tier gass for less. Dodgers trailed four to three until the ninth Daniel Hudson on a relief trying to keep it a one run game. When Daniel Hudson gave up a two run home run, Rockies take a six to three lead. The Dodgers, though would load the bases in the bottom of the ninth, would come up empty. Rockies go on and win it. Dodgers had their opportunities. They stranded the bases loaded twice. They were one for eight with runners in scoring position. Dodgers pitchers need to do a better job at finishing off batters. For of the Rocky six runs came on a two out, two strike hit, including Charlie Blackman's two run home run in the ninth inning off Daniel Hudson. With the loss, the Dodgers now ninety two and sixty three. The magic number remains at five and today the rubber game of this three game series. Yoshinobundamamoto on the mound, first pitcher, one ten and with more we head out to the Gallpin Motors broadcast booth as we welcome and say good afternoon to Tim Nevern and Rick Monday.
Speaker 7: Guys, Tim, thanks very much getting ready for this Sunday matinee at Dodgers Stadium, final home Sunday game of the regular season, as the Dodgers take on the Colorado Rockies. It's the rubber game of this three game set. Dodgers dropping the game to the Rockies last night six to three, and enter today's game three games up on the San Diego Padres with an overall record of ninety two and sixty three.
Speaker 4: Anytime the Rockies at sixty.
Speaker 7: And ninety five or thirty two games behind the Dodgers and in last place in the National League Western Division. Pitching matchup features Antonio Senzateela no decisions in an era of six. Eshinobo Yellamoto will pitch for the Dodgers. He is six and two two sixty three. This figure is to be the penultimate start for Yamamotos regular season as he prepares for the playoffs. And last night, Rick, we take a look at the ballgame. The Dodgers just really didn't get much going offensively. They had a a home run from Moki Bets in the third ending, looked like they were getting something going, but went flat the rest of the way.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I think opportunities really kind of dictate. Dodgers just one for eight when they had runners in scoring position, Rockets had thirteen advance in that same situation. I'm really reminded to think about this this morning. I'm reminded of Dave Roberts postgame comments Thursday night in Miami after the Dodgers clenched another postseason birth and his message to his book club as they proposed that toast. He says, look, don't lose sight of the fact we have games to play. Here's the exact quote. Stay hungry and have a sense of urgency, and we're not seeing right now the last couple of games that sense of urgency, and the clock is ticking and the Dodgers need to close things out or the magic number is really nice, that's down to five. But in order to win their twelfth the nationallygue Western Division title in the last thirteen games. There has to be more sense of urgency on the field and of getting that done. But the job is still out there.
Speaker 7: Last couple of years, they've had it wrapped up the division much earlier than this, but this is looking like it's coming down to the wire again. The magic number five with seven games to play, and they're playing a team in the Rockies in which they have won sixty three of the last eighty nine meetings and have three more with them next weekend in Colorado.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think a couple of things too, talking about the sense of urgency. For what I'm seeing from an offensive standpoint, Dodgers are not being as selective as hitters as.
Speaker 5: We normally see.
Speaker 8: They really near the top of the list as far as pitch selection to swing it and according to counts and what the scoreboard shows. The other part, too, is the defense has been at times somewhat ragtag, and it has allowed a lot of opportunities for opposing teams.
Speaker 7: Shohotani didn't hit a home run last night.
Speaker 5: That was news.
Speaker 7: He's been unbelievable lately, but he did factor in when he walked in the third inning. And scored a run, and he singled and stole his fifty third base of the season in the ninth innix. Yeah, still contributing. But I was surprised.
Speaker 8: I think everyone was surprised that he did attempt to steal in the ninth inning, because had it been a better throw, he would have been out. And this is not about stolen bases at this point. This is about trying to come back, and the Dodgers missed a chance to have their thirty ninth come from behind victory and last night's game. But again, a couple of things from an offensive standpoint, defensive standpoint, and then two, what we will see from yam Momoto in this afternoons ballgame because he is averaged right at I mean, barely above five innings so far this season, and now he's coming off another start, coming off the injured list.
Speaker 7: So all the Rockies and the Dodgers, Game three of this three game set, the rubber game. Dodgers come in ninety two, sixty three and the Rockies are sixty and ninety five.
Speaker 5: First pitch right around the corner, tim all right.
Speaker 3: As we cut you down to first pitch.
Speaker 2: Dodger fans get that game day meal on at Shaky's Pizza Parlor. What are your Shaky's Pizza checking the Mojo's right now and shake dot com coming up here at Dodgers on Deck, you're gonna hear from the manager Dave Roberts. We'll check out with David vase Agens the very latest. We'll dive deeper to this pitching matchup. Got your magical moment coming up, but 'up next to your Otani You rewind and we'll visit with Kirsten Watson. We're leading you up to first pitch on this Sunday Dodgers in Colorado, Rockies.
Speaker 3: Thanks for being with us. I'm Tim Kates's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Is Lorongo Casino, Dodgers on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 9: Y'all on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's Dodgers and Rockies, Yoshinoba, Yamamodo, Antonio Cinctela, the pitching mancha. First pitch from Dodgers Stadium is coming up at one time.
Speaker 9: This is the Otani.
Speaker 7: Ree Why bottom of the ninth six three Rockies and Otani's rings hitch up to the gap left center field. That ball is gonna get down pasta diving Nolan Jones and a long single for Otani and the first man and now he will send it home. There goes Otani for second base. Pitches swung on and missed, and Otani's in with a stolen base stolling bass number fifty three for show Hey.
Speaker 2: Otani, shoey Otani goes one for three on base three times after getting hit by a pitch, drawing a walk and you just heard the stolen base and the ninth inning. And it's fifty third of the season, so right now, show Yotani fifty two home runs, fifty three stolen bases with seven games to go, Otani rewind. Brought to you by eto enzoi ot Jud Japan's number one green tea and the tea the Shoeyotani loves and drinks. They'll be a local DISO stores, Amazon and etoin dot Com.
Speaker 3: That's it, O e n dot Com.
Speaker 9: This is Kirston's corner with Kirston Watson.
Speaker 2: Hey, Kirston now joins us from the stadium before the finale of this three game series against the Rockies, and a little bit of a lineup change Kirston before first.
Speaker 10: Pitch, Yeah, so Max months. He was originally in there playing a third base, but if you recall yesterday, he was attempting a defensive play at third dived for it, and so that dive has left him pretty sore today. So Dave Roberts said that they're gonna take him out, that he's been scratched. So Keikey Hernandez is playing at third base today. They are they feel like this is nothing too serious, just give him the day today, and they believe that he should be back in the lineup on Tuesday to start the Padres series. So just a little bit of soreness from.
Speaker 3: Yesterday, that is certainly good news.
Speaker 2: And for this Dodgers team, five games still is the magic number he got the Padres Loomy with the three game series beginning on Tuesday, kind of feels like there's still a sense of urgency, Kirsten.
Speaker 10: I think there's an extreme sense of urgency. It feels like, you know, I know, on the pregame show for the TV side, Jarry Harrison Junior is always like, you know.
Speaker 9: Must win.
Speaker 10: It genuinely feels like these games moving forward are a must win for them to have the buye for not having to play in the wild card and even just to win the division. I mean, look, like you mentioned the Padres win last night, the Dodgers lost to the Rockies. So now the Padres are only three games back. If the Padres win out moving forward, they will take over the division because also they have the tiebreaker over the Dodgers. They're a team that has whether when we were in San Diego, when they played here, they have found a way to show up against this Dodgers team and they honestly kind of like take over. So the series coming up with them, it's gonna be a big one, but it really starts today. And so you know, even Dave Roberts kind of said before the scrum with him even started, he was like, you know, there's a feeling of payback because that lost tonight, that one hurt. You could feel it in the clubhouse afterwards. As much as yes, it's just the Rockies, Yes it's September. You know, you would think it's kind of a whatever, let's just get through, but no, these these game, this game and specific is incredibly important. It's also important for Yoshinobu to you know, continue with his build up, to plan for him is five or six innings to get up to ninety pitches because it's time for you know, these guys need to get ready for October and hopefully that means a fi week before the DS but if not, if things don't go as planned, they will be in the wild cards. So it just tells you how much more important this game is and the games moving forward are for this team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 2: This is the Dodgers team the last couple of years hasn't been in this situation here in late September, Houston.
Speaker 3: We appreciate it. We'll check in with you after the game.
Speaker 2: Dodger fans and hands you're listening experience by downloading the iHeartRadio Apple Listening at HD. It's a great way to take it with you on the go on your mobile device, your tablet in your car, all powered by la Care Health Plan serving all Angelinos, Lacare dot or still to come here A Dodgers on Deck will dive deeper to this pitching matchup, David Vatsago's one on one with Jackson Farris, Dodgers Minor League pitcher of the Year. But up next we get you an injury report and we'll hear from the manager himself Dave Roberts leading up to Dodgers and Rockies on this Sunday first pitch of one ten. I'm Tim Katson. This is Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunts on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck continues as it leads up to first pitch Dodgers and Rockies, Moroco Casino Resort and Spa, A Grand Slam for good times. Dodgers and Rockies finishing up this three game series. We'll see each other next weekend in Denver. Yoshinobu Yamamoto and Tonio Sincitela the pitching matchup, first pitch at one ten.
Speaker 9: This is the LA Dodgers Injury.
Speaker 2: Report, presented by UCLA Healthy, official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Max Munsey scratched from the lineup today. Dave Roberts says he's got side soreness from diving for a ball last night.
Speaker 3: Should be good to go for the Padres series. We'll keep an eye on that.
Speaker 2: Austin Barnes on the iel with the tow fracture Tyler glass now done.
Speaker 3: For the season.
Speaker 2: Ryan Elbow ten to night is Clayton Kershaw working his way back, hopefully off the iel with the left big toe injury. Gavin Stone still trying to figure out that elbow inflammation is going.
Speaker 3: To die down. He can get back about this Dodgers team.
Speaker 2: Anthony Bonda, he is rehabbing that fractured left Pinky hopes to be okay for the postseason. He is working out to try to come back. All right, let's head back out to Dodger Stadium and check in with the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Any answered, Dave?
Speaker 4: Do you think questions for Dave?
Speaker 5: Dave? Can you just describe Dave? Can you talk about the pressure in.
Speaker 9: The dugouts with Dave Roberts.
Speaker 11: Certainly this is not a postseason game, but given you have four starts in this case Yoshinobu to prepare for the postseason, it's that same mindset. And so I know he feels that way. Our guys feel that way. So it's a good kind of it's a good exercise. It's a big game.
Speaker 4: I'm considered.
Speaker 10: Do you feel like a build up for him though, has been really good? He said. The plan for him is kind of that five and six innings, hopefully getting around ninety pitches you feel good about just kind of what his build up has looked like since coming.
Speaker 9: Off the io.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, absolutely, And I think that you know, like I said, he's pitching big ball games, but for him to get into the sixth inning, potentially get through it, get the pitch count up to ninety with another start after that, I think that there's more stress in the postseason, so you've got it kind of really get that foundation to prepare for the stress of every postseason pitch.
Speaker 12: Would you like to see your guys come out today with the urgency of a postseason game, obviously without close the races and what's in front of you here?
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 5: I mean we have what.
Speaker 11: Seven games left, and so I do think that we've had that since Atlanta, since this third game in Atlanta, I think we've played with more edge, more intent. So yeah, I just want that continued.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's it.
Speaker 1: Ask the obvious question, but like, is this texture important this year that you guys close up the division to get.
Speaker 6: That by just with where kind of pitching staff is that habit set you up in Brocktobert.
Speaker 4: It's the goal, it's the goal.
Speaker 11: Certainly where we're at, it would be helpful, and like we just talked about, is it's in our own hands, So that would be a certain welcome and it's something that we still got to earn. We've still got some work to do.
Speaker 9: You know what the pitching it's gonna look.
Speaker 5: Like for this weekend.
Speaker 11: I think we're just gonna stay on schedule. Yeah, so just kind of how the guys have been, that's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Dave Roberts down the dugout, brought to you by Service Titan. Dave Roberts is a Titan in his own right. He's got a plan before his team hits the field. You need one too for your growing contracting business. Let's Service Titan help you implement it. Learn more at Service Titan dot com. Let me continue here on Dodgers on Debt, We'll check in with David Vase get you all the latest, including update on maximunci lead you up to first pitch on this Sunday Dodgers and Rockies. I'm Tim Kates's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 9: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on.
Speaker 1: Deck on your home for the blue All season law.
Speaker 3: It's Dodgers and Rockies.
Speaker 2: Yoshinobu Yamamoto, Antonio Cincintela, the pitching mancha first pitch coming up at one ten.
Speaker 3: The umpiring crew for today's game.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by Fred Loya Insurance celebrating fifty years providing reliable and affordable car insurance for you and your family.
Speaker 9: Joining Tim Cakes on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 4: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 9: This is Dodger insider David Bassi.
Speaker 2: All right, David, we find out a little bit ago Max Munsey scratched from the lineup. Should we be worried about this for here the final week of the season.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure about that, Tim.
Speaker 12: Honestly, I know things can get you know, the information we get sometimes is not completely transparent. But Dave Roberts said he just made a diving play and he heard his side going down on his right side, and that was the same side that kept him out for quite some time.
Speaker 4: I will say this. I spoke to Max.
Speaker 12: Munsey earlier this morning after his on field drills. He never mentioned that he was hurt or there was something to be concerned about. He has been very forthcoming with me when it comes to different bumps and bruises, including getting hit by a pitch on his right elbow in Miami by that position player. So right now, I would say it's just being cautious and the Dodgers have a day off tomorrow and they want him as ready as possible to go for that Padre series.
Speaker 2: David has driven by Ford it there's one thing we like. Its choice is fine yours with the Ford F one to fifty gas hybrid all electric tough.
Speaker 3: This mark can only be called F one fifty.
Speaker 2: Daniel Hudson last nine DV gives up a home run late that made it a three run deficit.
Speaker 3: What's the deal with Daniel Hudson?
Speaker 2: What is his role maybe going to be moving forward here the rest of the season.
Speaker 4: Well, here's the deal with Daniel Hudson.
Speaker 12: Sixty one innings pitched this year in sixty three appearances. That's the most in both categories since twenty nineteen, when he.
Speaker 4: Helped the Nationals win the World Series.
Speaker 12: So for a thirty seven year old reliever who has been counted upon since day one, that's a heavy workload and the numbers reflect that. In the second half, twenty four appearances with an era close to six with five home runs last night to Charlie Blackman, and Daniel Hudson is one of the toughest guys you'll find in Major League Baseball, as was evident when he pitched through basically a broken knee last year before he had to have surgery on it. So you know, right now, it just feels like the workload may have added up on Daniel Hudson. And when we talk about the Dodgers need to win this division to get five days off, you can include Daniel Hudson needing those five days off.
Speaker 4: But the Dodgers have.
Speaker 12: Done as much as they can to manage his workload in the second half. They gave him three different opportunities of extended days off six days, nine days, and five.
Speaker 4: Days, so they're trying to do as much as they can.
Speaker 12: But the reality is he's thirty seven years old and has pitched more innings and games than he has since twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: It's September twenty second, David today, Tommy Lesora's birthday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the Dodgers have done a great thing.
Speaker 12: They started a Tommy Losorda Lead Blue Award, and the previous two winners were rosz Wyman and also John Schumaker.
Speaker 4: This year, it's longtime Dodger Catcher.
Speaker 12: World Series MVP Steve Jaeger, and we'll hear from Steve on Dodger Talk a little bit later Rick Monday.
Speaker 4: We'll have some stories to share about it.
Speaker 12: But it's a great way for the Dodgers to honor the memory of the great Hall of Fame manager Tommy Lasorda, who was really him and Vin Scully to me in Los Angeles, are the two greatest ambassadors for this Dodger franchise and really helped to get to the popularity.
Speaker 3: It's that right now, no doubt about that, David, great stuff.
Speaker 2: I'll check back you with you in just a couple of minutes. Have you signed up to win Dave Roberts autograph jersey yet? Well, you can sign up for your chance to win at visit and visit waterfola dot com waterfola dot com and after taking a brief survey sharing what you've learned on smart water use, you could win an autograph jersey from Dave Roberts.
Speaker 3: That's waterfola dot.
Speaker 2: Com coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll hear from Jackson Ferris will dive deeper into this pitching matchup. But up next you Dodgers Magical Moment Dodgers Rockies first pitcher one ten. I'm Tim Kats's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: As we were saying.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Jack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Y's the Dodgers and Rockies.
Speaker 2: Yeo Chinoba Yamamoto on the mound, final game of the three game series.
Speaker 3: First pitch it one ten?
Speaker 4: Who wants.
Speaker 9: It's time for the hawfe Magical Moment Ditch Magical Phone presented by Hawfey Hot Tails.
Speaker 2: We go back four years ago today, September twenty second, twenty twenty Dodgers taking on the Oakland A's in front of one hundreds of cardboard cutouts and attendance through the COVID shutdown to watch the Dodgers clinch their eighth straight Divisional title.
Speaker 6: McGhee about to throw his eighteenth pitch, one ball, two strikes, Murphy strikes out swinging and the Dodgers make it eight straight Western Division titles. Next goal to remove the weight of and the weight since nineteen eighty eight. The Dodgers are the National League Western Division champions.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 6: It may have been a shortened season, but from beginning to end, the Dodgers were the class in the National League.
Speaker 4: They had the best record pretty much from day one.
Speaker 6: As they are now hugging one another in the dugout.
Speaker 4: There is not what you.
Speaker 6: Would hope forward expect the postgame celebration after clinching.
Speaker 4: This is different for the Dodgers. The outcome is.
Speaker 5: Just the same.
Speaker 2: Of course, Dodgers would win the division and go on and win the World Series four years ago in twenty twenty. This Hofey magical moment brought to by Hofey Hot Dogs is so cal treasure for over one hundred years. Visit hoffeybrand dot com to find out where you can purchase cravele ish offfee hont Dogs. When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck still check back. You know Rick Monday lead you after first pitch Dodgers and Rockies. I'm Tim Katson's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio network.
Speaker 9: Is Lorono Casino.
Speaker 1: Dodgers on Dodgers on Deck, y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: This Dodgers and Rockies on This Sunday afternoon, Yoshinobu Yamamoto and Antonio Cincintella. The pitching matchup of this series finale, first pitch coming up at one ten. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Zenji handcrafted Sushi, made fresh daily on site. Pick up delicious sushi before the game at Ralphs and other local supermarkets near the deli counter. All right, still to come, We'll get you the keys to the game. Boss will dive deeper to this pitchy matchup.
Speaker 1: But first and now joined by David Basseying, Here's La Dodgers broadcaster and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 5: Rick.
Speaker 12: It's a beautiful they at the ballpark, and today the Dodgers are remembering their Hall of Fame manager Tommy Lasorda because he was born on this day in nineteen twenty seven in Norristown, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 4: And I know Tommy meant a lot to you.
Speaker 8: Well he did, because I first ran into Tommy. He was a scout at the time out of Santa Monica High School and he was scouting me as both a pitcher and as an outfielder. And I've told the story before, is it Tommy. You know, he was also the coach of what they called the Dodger Rookie team, where they sent out letters they being the Dodgers, to young high school guys are ready to graduate. I was seventeen, just graduating, and it was really sent out to guys that they were attempting to sign to a contract with the Dodgers. And there was a series of three different weekends of trying out, and Tommy Lasorda was the coach of that Dodger rookie team, and he eventually had my mother and I had dinner one night, offered a contract. My mom put down the pen the first time, at second time, she put it down. The third time she was ready to sign, and she finally put it down says, no, my son needs to go to college to begin with, he gaets hurt, or we can't make it as something to fall back upon. So that was my exposure to Tommy Lasorda. And then who would have thought later on in Tommy's first full year as a manager, that's the first year that I was traded from the Cubs to the Dodgers, and here's this guy that tried to sign me so many years ago. So I knew a lot about Tommy, and most of the guys on that team had played for Tommy at the Triple A level, so everybody was in pretty much synchronized to understand that Tommy knew how to push the buttons to motivate us, to challenge us, and maybe at times to irritate us.
Speaker 5: And he did it very very well.
Speaker 8: He knew the buttons to push for David Vasse, what would motivate you to do this?
Speaker 5: Or that.
Speaker 8: He understood the buttons he had to push for Dwayne McDonnell or with me, and he was marvelous of doing that, and especially with younger players. So this now carries on a tradition of those players and people within the organization that had meant a lot to the history of the Dodgers over the years.
Speaker 12: In nineteen seventy seven was the year you became teammates with today's Tomulus sorta award winner, Bleeve Blue Award, that is the one and only Steve Yeager.
Speaker 8: The Boomer, the Boomer, and we were roommates in spring training and I wrote Steve, actually, and we'll get insign.
Speaker 5: And personal here.
Speaker 8: About five years ago I wrote Steve a nice letter electronically and basically just told him is that you know, we've gone through a lot together. You know, we've laughed together, we've cried together, we've grown up together. And he was really the brother that I never had, you know, growing up as an only child, and we just hit it off for different reasons and that friendship continues and it's one of the nice things. Of course, if you think about the ball clubs that we were privileged enough to be a part of, not only were they winning teams, they were winning people. And by that I'm talking about good people. And that's the important thing, because that's not always the story. When we go to our workplace, whatever it is. You know, sometimes you get along. Oh there was a bickering here and there, but you know, we're together for eight months out of the year, a day in and day out of competing and sometimes, you know, the nerve endings get a little bit afraid, but overall, very privileged to be a part of good teams with good people.
Speaker 4: What made Steve Jeger so special as a player and a teammate.
Speaker 8: I think because he never wanted to give up. I think this is because a lot of people maybe coming up had doubts, you know, saying are you good enough? You're not good enough? Will you be able to make it? You don't hit well enough? Well, I defy anyone to say that anybody was better than him catching wise. And the first knee jerk reaction, well what about Johnny Bench? Okay, what about Johnny Bench? Look at Jeger. I saw him in a day out. Nothing against Johnny Bench, Hall of fame, a catcher and hit her two is what he did. But even little things like for Steve Jaeger in spring training.
Speaker 5: I told you the story before.
Speaker 8: There were pitchers in Dodgertown in having bullpen sessions in what they referred to as the string area, and there were about four different mounds side by side by side, and the pitchers would attempt and bet who could get a ball passed Steve Yager and make a pitch, And many of the pittures were disappointed because they could not get the ball passed. Steve took it personally if a ball got by him and he had to go to the backstop or anywhere around home plate to get the baseball. Quick story when lou Brock, the Great lou Brock would get on base and I remember one instance, in particular in Saint Louis is it Rock Before the game, he goes, Steve, I'm gonna steal some bases on you. I'm gonna go, and Jag just looked at him and goes, let me tell you something. You don't want to embarrass yourself. And then Steve would look at the Brock when he did get on base and Brockwood yell in from first base. I'm going, Yig, I'm gonna go, and Yeg, we just look at him and laugh. He goes, I've told you, Luke, don't embarrass yourself. I'll gun you down at second base.
Speaker 12: Hey, that was the competitor that is Steve Jeger, and that's part of the reason why he is today's Timulus sort of.
Speaker 8: Well, here's the other part, and here's why we were long, long lasting friends. Isn't on the exterior very tough guy. I got to see that teddy bear inside.
Speaker 4: I bet you did.
Speaker 12: He's a great guy and we all love Steve Yeger, a big part of Dodger history.
Speaker 5: Don't try and run on him. I won't hilly him embarrass.
Speaker 12: You, all right, Rick, Well, hear from Steve on Dodger Talk tonight. You've tipped me off to a few different questions.
Speaker 8: A couple of little yeah, a couple of little questions, and I look forward to listening to it on the postgame Dodger Talk.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 12: Ray, we'll check in with you a yeah, right, thanks buddy. Yeah, there's that Teddy Bear Rick Monday. We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 2: All right, Thank you, David, Thank you for Dodgers fans. Start your future to California Community College. Financial aids available to help you with tuition, books, and yeah, sometimes even the rent.
Speaker 3: It's time to take that next big step.
Speaker 2: Classes can fill up quickly, so enrolled today and I can go.
Speaker 3: To college dot com.
Speaker 2: Still to come here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll get you a preview this pitching matchup. Rick will be back with Tim. Never gets you those keys to the game. But up next we go high and tight with the Dodgers Minor League pitcher of the Year, Jackson Ferris. That's next, Dodgers Rockies first pitch coming up at one ten. I'm Tim Kats's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network book.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunters on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Rocky has closed out this three game series. Dodgers looking for the series win after winning the opener on Friday night, dropping the game last night. Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the mound, first pitch coming up at one ten Dodgers Baseball to buy our friends at Children's Hospital Los Angeles. When you need the very best care for your child, there's one place to go. Children's Hospital Los Angeles rank number one in the entire state of California for pediatric care. Find the right doctor for your child at CCHLA dot org.
Speaker 1: And now what will likely be vast a fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 3: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 9: This is high and tight.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 12: The Dodgers announced their minor league player and pictures of the year on Friday, and we're joined right now by the picture of the year, a man that was traded during the off season by the Cubs to the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: And what a steal it was for the Dodgers.
Speaker 12: I was told by a Mason McGuire and Mark McGuire somewhere in Irvine.
Speaker 4: Jackson Ferris joins us.
Speaker 13: Thanks for having me man, glad to be here.
Speaker 12: You got a lot of presents about yourself. You and Dalton Rushing feels like you guys are knocking on the door and ready to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 14: I mean, I'm just trying to have a good year and just hope to get on that I get a call eventually.
Speaker 12: So what can you take away from your season and being in this organization for the first time?
Speaker 14: I would just say that being a starting pitcher just is like going deep into games and longevity throughout a year. Like how healthy can you be getting laid into this year? So like you get into this time like everybody wants to play postseason baseball, and the Dodgers are going to give us a great opportunity to do that, and you just got to be healthy and answer the call whenever you get a shot. So that's one thing, probably the biggest thing I learned throughout this year.
Speaker 12: We've heard so much about the Dodgers development of pictures, So what have you learned the most about the way they do things?
Speaker 14: I just feel like the Dodgers aren't really scared to kind of screw up almost, so like they trust themselves and they trust what they do. And I have all my trust in all the coaches in the minor leagues, and so whatever they tell me, I'm going to take out with an open hand and then just hopefully it works out.
Speaker 12: So in this stage of your career, do you have to have a certain leap of faith to make changes?
Speaker 14: I would say a little little bit yeah, because like it's your career, but you also have to trust these people who know what they're doing and know what they're saying. And it's like you almost are hesitant, but you just have to open up to all these people and get to know which coaches are really there for you and all that. And that's kind of the one thing that you just got to learn throughout a year, like which coaches are really going to be there for you through rough times and good times, and then just kind of go to those guys whenever you need them.
Speaker 4: Jackson Ferris is our guest. You know that name.
Speaker 12: He was treated to the Dodgers during the off season, but you are going to get to know him a lot more in the coming years. You actually threw a combined no hitter or almost a no hitter at Great Lakes, eight no hit innings before you were taken out. We hear about this so called zone. Were you in that zone that night?
Speaker 13: Yeah? For sure.
Speaker 14: That was just one of those nights where everything was clicking. It didn't matter like if I was getting a hard hit ball, because you go deep into a game like that and you don't give up a hit, you're gonna give up hard contact. So defense was always just placed in the right position. Defense helped me out behind me. Coaches told me in between innings how we need to attack the guys coming up, And just felt like everything was clicking that night.
Speaker 12: What clicks for you the most? Is it the slider? Is it the fastball? Is it the curveball? Can you tell us a little bit more in LA about Jackson Ferris?
Speaker 14: I feel like it's always going to be a fastball, like especially this year, I really ticked up in Vlo compared to the last couple of years. So it's always going to be my fastball. And then outside of that, it was kind of my slider was really my go to whenever I got into a jam, Like what pitch.
Speaker 13: Did I use to get a strikeout? It was fastball slider always.
Speaker 4: Do you got that, Uncle Charlie though?
Speaker 13: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 14: Once I got moved up to double A. They were really really adamant on me throwing my curveball as often as ponsible because that is what my second best option was out of high school.
Speaker 13: So now I throw that a lot. Again.
Speaker 12: I was looking at the size of your hands, because the legend ghosts that Sandy Kofax had extremely large hands and fingers to be able to wrap his hand around the baseball, which gave him that great curveball.
Speaker 4: It seems like.
Speaker 12: You you were blessed with decent hands to throw that curveball.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, that's my opinion. Coach back home.
Speaker 14: We started throwing like a double tate ball and a softball for a month before I could even throw a curveball with a baseball, And so that my pinion, coach back home is really the one who kind of pushed me towards an old twelve six curveball that I throw.
Speaker 12: Now, well, you know there's a lefty right now on the Dodgers that is known for his fastball, his slider, and his curveball. How much have you heard the comparisons to Kershaw?
Speaker 14: So growing up, that was really the guy who I looked up to the most in baseball. It was always him, just not necessarily motion or mechanics wise, but just stuff wise, like big fastball coming out. Kind of always got told he had control problems, which out of high school, that's what I was told I had, so just trying to fine tune those and then always having the twelve six curveball to throw and then developing a slider later on, which I've got.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 12: Keep grinding down there and awesome to meet you. I've heard great things about Jackson Ferris.
Speaker 13: Thank you. Great meeting you. Glad to be here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt. Get on that mount Jackson.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I wisht that's the goal.
Speaker 4: Eventually, we'll send it back to you.
Speaker 12: In the studio, Tim Jackson Fair in the house with Dalton rushing, we'll send it back to you, all right.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot of DV. Jackson Ferris a name to keep an eye on. Moving through the minor leagues quickly, could be on this Dodgers team here in the next year or so. Dodgers Baseball brought to you by Shakey's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers audio broadcast. When it's game day, it's group day at shakys dot com or lead you up to first pitch on this Sunday Dodgers and Rockies. Up next, we'll dive deeper this pitching matchup. Don't go anywhere. I'm Tim Katsus Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Tap on your home for the blue all season.
Speaker 2: Law Dodgers and Rockies on this Sunday afternoon, final game of this three game series. Day off tomorrow and then the start of a three game series against the San Diego Padres.
Speaker 3: First pitch today coming up at one ten.
Speaker 1: And now before the Dodgers hit the dineck, we look at the pitching.
Speaker 2: Matchup presented by your Southern cal forty of Toyota Dealers. Turn your trail dominating off roading dreams into a reality in an all new twenty twenty four Tacoma.
Speaker 3: See your Toyota Dealer today. They make it easy.
Speaker 2: Antonio Cinctela on the mound for the Rockies, twenty nine year old right hander out of Venezuela, no wins, no losses, six erra.
Speaker 3: He's in his eighth season in the big leagues.
Speaker 2: He's missed most of last year and this season because of Tommy John surgery. Before that, in twenty twenty two, his season was cut short because of an ACL injury to his knee. Making just his second start this season, fastball slider change up last time out in his debut here in twenty twenty four, three plus innings, he threw sixty seven pitches, allowed two runs on four hits, truckout two against the Diamondbacks. Against the Dodgers fifteen career games, thirteen starts, he's four and.
Speaker 3: Five with the five ninety eight RORA.
Speaker 2: He tossed seven scoreless innings against him in his last start at Dodger Stadium. That was in September of twenty twenty one. Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the mound for the Dodgers, six and two, two sixty three. Erara, twenty six year old right hander making his seventeenth start this year, his third since coming back off the IOM shoulder injury. Last time out, four shutout innings, four hits, three strikeouts, and a no decision against the Braves. This is the second time facing the Rockies. He saw them June first six innings, one run, seven hits, seven punchouts in a win. In fact, it was his last win before going on the il Yoshanoba. You have a Mooto Star brought to you by Eto inns Oyo, Japan's number one green team. The tea that sho Heyo Tani loves and drinks available to local Diso stores, Amazon and Etoin dot Com. That's it, O e N dot Com. Dodgers Rockies. We're fifteen minutes away from first pitch. Keys to the game our next on Tim Kase's Los Angeles Dodgers audio note.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Jack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's Dodgers and Rockies first pitch coming up at one ten. Dodger fans and Hansher listening experience download the IoT radio op Listen to HD Paul Howard by our friends at Lacare Health Plan serving all Angelino's Lacare Org. All right, back out to the booth Rick Tim guys.
Speaker 7: Tim, thanks again. It's going to be a beautiful day for a ballgame here at Dodgers Stadium. Nothing like a day game here at Chavez Ravine is the Dodgers and Rockies play the rubber game of this three game set.
Speaker 4: The pitching matchup.
Speaker 7: Antonio sends a tello against Yoshinobu Yamamoto, both coming off of injuries. At Tonio sends a tell a Tommy John surgery and this will be his second start since coming back from the sixty day injured list and the Rockies looking forward to having him back. But he's just getting in some work before the regular season.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And I think with Yamamoto, I don't think this is a question. And Dave Ro I'm just going to be asked to this before the ball game. How many pitches are you going to go? I'm not concerned with the number of pitches. I'm concerned with the competition that he has. I mean, this is a tune up. This is just, hey, go out and pitch for X number of pitches. This is to go out and compete. And I think that's at the top of the versus how long he's going to be in the game.
Speaker 7: For Yamamoto just his third start after that three month stint on the injured list, but he's looked pretty good since coming back. He's allowed just one earn run over eight innings with eleven strikeouts combined against the Cubs and the Braves, so getting after it against the Rockies this afternoon rubber.
Speaker 5: Game of the three game set.
Speaker 7: Dodgers looking to take two out of three against Colorado heading into the day off tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Tim all Right.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Speedy Cash, official sponsor of every LA Weekend. Find out more at Speedycash dot commerce stop in a LA area Speedy Cash Store.
Speaker 3: Dodgers Rockies.
Speaker 2: Final game of this three game series is next Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the Mountain.
Speaker 3: When we come back, enjoy it. I'm Tim Kase has
Speaker 2: Been Wrongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network