Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell, Manna KOAM, ninety more one FM, got.
Speaker 3: Saddy and the Noisy.
Speaker 4: Three Many Connell, Keith your sadding.
Speaker 5: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to a Friday edition of the show. I'm your host.
Speaker 6: All wait a minute, let me try that again.
Speaker 7: Hello, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 6: To a Friday edition of the show.
Speaker 5: All together now, all right, my friends, Oh sorry, I'm Mandy. That that guy over there is Anthony Uez. And today we'll take you right up until three pm. I have decided to keep my germs at home. I am broadcasting from Southern Command. But nonetheless, we are ready to go. We are connected, we are ready, and we will get you through a.
Speaker 6: Hopefully fun Friday.
Speaker 5: I started out, and you'll see when I do the blog here in just a moment I started out, I was like, I don't know how I'm gonna get through this day. One of the things you guys have to understand that's very unique about this program or any talk radio program, is that it's kind of hard to call in sick when you wake up sick, because it's not like you just have all these hosts that are ready to go at a moment's notice.
Speaker 6: So I will suffer through.
Speaker 5: I am here for you listeners, and we will together make it through this Friday afternoon. Find the blog by going to mandy'sblog dot com.
Speaker 6: That's Mandy's blog dot com.
Speaker 5: Look for the headline this is ten twenty four to twenty five blog how qualified immunity changes affect law and order. Click on that and here are the headlines you will find within abs.
Speaker 4: In office half of American allmerships and clipment of tea that's going to press.
Speaker 5: Plant today On the blog we put the cops on the hook.
Speaker 6: I'm sick. Please donate to your local food bank.
Speaker 5: No more Canadian wolves a How to figure out what candidates really mean? When will the ski resorts open? Someone else is attacked by a guy who should have been in prison. Inflation is still too high, but lower than expected. Stop taking animal meds please. Rush is coming to Denver. The Johnstown Breeze publisher apologized, this idiot deserves more prison time for being an idiot. The DNC may be in Denver next time. Lakewood shady real estate deal has stopped Colorado is doing what ruined Germany? Shack has thoughts on the mill up situation. Why is it Bernie's book free scrolling half of soft cell just died. Southwest AD's free Wi Fi to all flights. Why I'm investing in small modular reactors. Elon University shows good speech beat censorship. Trump's brand of capitalism is really socialism. Fitness app set you up for failure? What is a woman? Anyone with lipstick? This a haunted house for grown ups? See seems nice? This is so freaking cute for Thanksgiving? Here history one more time, dating red flags for the first six months, funniest volunteer gig ever, awesome parenting tricks.
Speaker 6: And I love this Halloween costume a rod?
Speaker 5: What else is added?
Speaker 4: Joe get scared by a rod and get your car washed at the same time.
Speaker 6: All right, that Joe a winner?
Speaker 5: That did not make it onto my I'm sorry, Nancy, I was fully expecting. I was fully expecting the said trombone on that one. Sorry about that it didn't update in time. If you checked the blog earlier, Anthony just added the part about the car wash and it just didn't regenerate. Sometimes our our software whatever. Back in software for our blog gets tired. Maybe it's sick to a rod. Maybebe that's what it is.
Speaker 7: Maybe I see it. But you know, yeah, I have just.
Speaker 5: The group right now that is apparently going around everyone either they have it, damn their kids have it.
Speaker 4: Super Bowl to host in a week. You stay the hell away a super Bowl. Your party, thank you, your party is there.
Speaker 6: You go, well take your vitamin D and your zinc just in case.
Speaker 7: Yeah, make sure I'm gonna as it. You have it. Yeah, stay away.
Speaker 5: I last night I had I tried to do an event with my advertisers every so often just to thank them it was awful for supporting the show.
Speaker 6: And aren't they like the most awesome people a Rod.
Speaker 5: The people that that own the businesses that advertise with me are just the best people ever.
Speaker 4: I'm going to give a special shout out because I have heard their commercials for years and years. I got to meet finally the Gravit in his family. That was, oh, they're super cool.
Speaker 5: You met three of them, like there's a million of them, first of all, and they're all amazing people. They're all just like the best people. So it's always fun. And we went to thrashing axes in Parker, which is a phenomenal.
Speaker 6: Thrashing or ax throwing.
Speaker 5: They have ax throwing, they have duckpin bowling, and then they have like the crash Room where you can just go in and destroy stuff if you're having a bad day. Owned by the nicest guy named Jesse. He is so cool and if you're looking for a fun night out, it is a blast. And they have really freaking great bar food, the massive endorsement, and the thing that I loved the most, my buddy Dan and I loved the.
Speaker 4: Most was first of all, I don't think I've ever been ax throwing before. I think it did one time at thirteen floor they had like off to the side right. Be'st part about this one different from every other one I've seen online is they have the projector that projects onto where you throw the axes, and they have all these mini games that you then can like click with a mouse, like where you hit on with the axe. So it allows for you to play like a kajillion different versions of ax throwing. That's the coolest part about it. We were locked in. It's like arcade ax throwing, Unlike arcade ax throwing where it's like the plastic one that's not this. These are full on axes. And the other cool thing is they had like all the different things to throw for those Marvel nerds out there. My buddy loves Gambit and he got to be Gambit last night because they had a little metal playing card and he goes, Mom, I mean, hit right at the thing and it sticks in. Super cool. But they have like little Ninja stars. They have the different axes. There's some in there. I'm like, I don't know if I want to throw that thing. It was the coolest place.
Speaker 5: So Massive Endorsement Thrashing axes in Parker. It's really really outstanding. It is free for all Friday, especially because I'm sick because I have a bunch of cool stuff on the blog, but I am sick, so I need you guys to pick up the slack and usually my twelve o'clock listeners, you guys usually are like a boss with this. So no cars for Kids was not there because they are not one of my advertisers. When I say my advertise, I'm talking about the people that I do live endorsements for. Right, So, Mandy, I feel like you're sick a lot. I'm really not it's just when you're on the radio. Every time I am sick, you guys hear about it, right, So it probably does feel like I'm sick of I promise I'm not, and I'm here.
Speaker 6: I'm here anyway.
Speaker 5: Mandy. What are the words to Mandy's intro song? Can't make them out?
Speaker 6: Thanks?
Speaker 5: Please send me an email because I will send you the entire song, not just the snippet that we use. But that's the easiest way to do it.
Speaker 6: I do not ruin the day.
Speaker 5: I rule the day the day Mandy Connell ruling the day with words that excite.
Speaker 7: I mean, we can take a poll right now, and I guarantee you'll lose it.
Speaker 6: It's not well. No, I know what the words are. I have them written.
Speaker 5: Down all right.
Speaker 4: Textures five six, sign zero, the commons be health text line. Do you hear rules the day? Stop it or ruins the day? Let's please tell us the day.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connall Show is sponsored by Bell and Pollock, Accident and Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Connell.
Speaker 7: Sounds like.
Speaker 6: Rolling the day.
Speaker 7: I know, rolling the day. Ruins are roaming stop it.
Speaker 5: This texture says, howdy, Mandy, just doing the show from your habitat when you don't feel well, make the show suck less and go faster.
Speaker 6: Oh darned Tuton.
Speaker 5: No, actually the opposite, because you have to understand. When I'm broadcasting from Southern Command, I am sitting in a corner of my basement where all of my equipment is because it's quiet down here, and I'm by myself. And granted, when I'm at the studio, I kind of feel like I'm you know, based. I mean, my job is to sit in a room and talk to myself for three hours.
Speaker 6: That's my job, you guys. So it's already weird.
Speaker 5: But I like having a Rod there right now, giving you a little window behind the you know, pull back the curtain. We have a zoom meeting up between a Rod and I, so I can still see him.
Speaker 6: But it's different.
Speaker 5: And I would have said I love being at home during COVID, but now I like being back in the office.
Speaker 6: People are back in the office.
Speaker 5: Some of my favorite people work in the office, so I kind of like that.
Speaker 6: So I don't love it as much as I.
Speaker 5: Used to in the office.
Speaker 6: What was No, it's it is not ruins.
Speaker 4: First three ruins, stop it right now and risking one risking the day?
Speaker 6: No, no ruling, it is not.
Speaker 5: Why would I have a theme song that says ruins the day?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 5: Why? Why would I do that?
Speaker 6: Key's Louise?
Speaker 7: I mean Ai?
Speaker 4: I mean, was this before you started being nice to AI? Because AI made that song? They go, oh, that man Becau is a jerk to us.
Speaker 5: I told Chat GBT today that I that they were the best assistant I've ever had, and Chat was like, oh sucks, thanks so much, thank you, and she is completely anyway, that's not I don't want to get started on that. But we do have a lot of stuff our on the on deck today. Mandy, Sorry, sounds like ruined. Stop it. Maybe you need to get on a firesider regiment. I make my own and I'll keep you well, what the heck is firesider?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 6: I have to look that up Firesider.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm gonna get to some serious stuff because there is some serious stuff and I sent an email earlier today there's some significant stuff. Let's see what's in a firesider recipe. Okay, I'm looking this up here, we go a rod. I might make this today, you never know. Let's see it is Collie. Can we just stop with the nine years of why you have to tell me why you're riding this recipe? Okay, it's unfiltered apple, cider, vinegar, horseradish, ginger roots, turmeric, garlic, onion, habanarows a lemon, rosemary, thyme, parsley, a cinnamon stick, black peppercorns, and raw honey. Well, that sounds invigorating. Okay, I'm gonna try it. I'm gonna try it. I'm I'm you know, the only reason I'm sick right now is because my stupid husband got sick.
Speaker 6: First.
Speaker 5: I've been sleeping in the guest room while.
Speaker 6: Wick to avoid it.
Speaker 7: He was sick too.
Speaker 5: Oh he's been sick.
Speaker 6: No, he was fine last night.
Speaker 4: No, you were about to say he's been sick, and you didn't give me any damn warning.
Speaker 6: Mandy, Oh my god, he's been sick.
Speaker 5: I said that earlier. I heard it sounds like who in the day, Mandy. Hour two All chuck. Oh gosh, you guys are not ready for all chuck. You're just not ready for all chuck. And it's not keeping ignorance in play. It's keeping ignorance at bay.
Speaker 6: Oh good lord. Oh you people, you people are killing me.
Speaker 5: You're killing me. Mandy had the cue seen or heard Goodbye Earl by the Dixie Chicks. So twenty four year old I know was recently shook by the friend photoshop friends you to recreate the music video.
Speaker 6: So when I don't.
Speaker 5: Remember how long ago, maybe a year ago, when Miley Cyrus's Flowers came out and it was like the song is basically Miley Cyrus calling out her ex and be like I don't need you, I can buy myself Flowers. And I was like, oh, that's adorable, like that adorable diss song. I was like, back in my day we talked about killing people and burying them. And she was like what And I played Goodbye Earl for her and she loves that song.
Speaker 6: Now it's such a good song. I'm so sad that Dixie Chicks are just so stupid.
Speaker 5: Anyway, Mandy, how do you feel about the White House renovation or the Super Bowl halftime show? I'd like to say ruin the day, and I know it isn't okay. I know this smarty Pants is being a smarty pants, but this particular smarty Pants probably listens to all three hours of the show because I said at the end of the show yesterday that I am not going to talk about the White House renovation.
Speaker 4: I saw on our show Rundown today that you want to talk specifically about the renovations and the Super Bowl half time show listeners. I'm telling you, I think Manny needs some more of your feedback onto those two topics, specifically and exclusively.
Speaker 6: No, no, indeed, no.
Speaker 7: What is your take on both of those Mandy?
Speaker 5: I take. My take is I don't care about either of those things. I have no desire to talk about either of those things. My goodness, I just don't care. In the grand scheme of important things. They're not even in a blip on the It's not keeping immigrants in the bay. That is not what it is, ruining the day. Not enough people rue the day anymore, says this text. Yes it's rue the day you got me? You got me is one of the lyrics She's a guy, by the way. No, no, it is, it is not. But no, Mandy, I heard you say either last week or the few days ago, that Chuck and the queue were sick and you were hoping to avoid it, and I did not to this text, or Mandy, do you have fever or the squirts feel better?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 6: I have neither of those things. Thank you for asking.
Speaker 7: What the hell it's just.
Speaker 5: I feel like I just have the bad head cold, sore throat, bad head cold. I think the sore throat came from the post nasal drip. I don't know. Whatever I have. I'm staying away from everyone, So there you go. No, we're not talking about either of those things. And let's talk about what we are going to talk about. First of all, earlier this week, when we had the Common Sense Institute on to talk about their recent study about letting violent criminals out of prison and a rising crime rate, I'm sure there's no connection, though. DA Michael Allen from El Paso County reached out to me and he said, Mandy, you are not even talking about the weight that removing qualified immunity from police officers is putting on law enforcement and how it's affecting the way law enforcement is doing their jobs. So we're going to talk to him at two thirty about that. I think that's a really important aspect to look at. But most of all, today we just we just like to have a fun Friday, and I have some really good fun stuff on the blog today that we can talk about. Mandy, honestly, will you watch the Alternative Turning Point halftime show?
Speaker 6: Eh? You know, I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 5: It depends. It depends on where. If I'm watching the super Bowl at home. Generally speaking, I don't watch the halftime show. I think I watched part of Kendrick Lamar last year. Actually, I think I watched all of that one last year waiting to feel like it was something that I wanted to watch. This year, I'll probably watch some of it. I think I watch it now because I'm out of the demo that they're catering to to just be able to have an educated opinion about it.
Speaker 4: Okay, But Mandy, the question of the day from the texture three six seventy nine, oh right now?
Speaker 7: From A four or five one to nine?
Speaker 4: Is bad Bunny going to play in the New White House Ballroom?
Speaker 6: I don't know. That'd be fantastic.
Speaker 7: All topics had ones.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Mandy, do you care that the inflation report to three percent beat the three point one percent expectation? I do have that on the blog. That is an important story today. Still too high, you guys. Our inflation is going to continue to be above where it needs to be. Until government spending is brought under control. That's just the reality of it. So yeah, the number came in a bit lower than what is expected, but it still came in at three percent. The target is two percent, and you know, I want my dollars to go far. So anyway, Mandy, at least you don't have hand, foot and mouth disease. My three children grandchildren have it and I haven't seen them in a week. What I didn't know that that was the thing people got. I guess, So hand mouth and foot, Mandy, How do you feel about getting the flu shot this year? Guys, here's the thing about flu shots. They're only effective for a tiny percentage of the flu strains that are out there, and they have to guess because they have to make them a year in advance, right, They can't just whip it up once they know what flu strains are out there. So some flu shots are only thirty forty percent effective at best, and some are even less than that. Now, if you are older and would have trouble beating back the flu, then yeah, absolutely get a flu.
Speaker 6: Shot, especially if it gives you some confidence to live your life.
Speaker 5: But the last time I got a flu shot was probably twenty years ago, and I got sick from it, So I'm not doing that again. I haven't had the flu flu and I don't even know how long. And I'm knocking on wood on that one.
Speaker 6: Anyway.
Speaker 5: No, it's not Mandy shrewing the day. It's not shrewing the day Jaden. It's not what it sounds like anyway, Mandy. The lyric misunderstanding is tied to low five speakers. Perfectly understandable on my computer, hardly understandable on my backup battery powered AM radio. There you go, Mandy, ask you anything. Every once in a while, I run into a liberal that thinks the Trump administration is out for gay and trans people.
Speaker 6: Do you see where they get this fear?
Speaker 5: Well, I see where trans people get it because the administration has been very aggressive in blocking trans people from serving in the military, and has been very aggressive and going after the medical interventions for children. So yeah, trans people, I can see where they'd feel that way.
Speaker 6: Gay people, I don't get it. I really don't.
Speaker 5: Donald Trump appointed the first openly gay secretary Cabinet secretary, Permanent Secretary, Scott Besson. He's a Treasury secretary. He is an openly gay man, I just think that gay people. I don't know what they have to worry about.
Speaker 6: I really don't. I have no idea, Mandy.
Speaker 5: When I listen to the intro song, I hear Obama ruins the day, which makes much more sense. Mandy. Have you had your sprinklers blown out yet?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: I have this week, so we are ready for that. We got to do our final round of yard work this year for the winter I have. If anybody wants a billion pounds of pine needles.
Speaker 7: Just let me know which piece I have them weather. Yeah, knock on wood. Looks like it's gonna be an awesome Halloween.
Speaker 5: Well, forget about Halloween. Let's talk about tonight. Let's get this in at the beginning of the show. Actually, we'll do that when we get back a rod a rod after our interview with the car wash folks, the Scary car wash. You have a chance to get the pants scared off. You buy a rod tonight. We'll talk about that after this. Keep it on koa tonight. If you like to be scared, you can be scared by one mister Anthony Rodriguez at the Gleam car Wash Hunted Spooky car Wash in Aurora. Do you have big plans for this, a rod, you got a strategy? What are you doing here?
Speaker 4: Yes, my buddy and I hit up the local Spirit Halloween yesterday, got our costumes already. I I mean, I pretty much let a demonic clown take over my soul anytime I put on a clown costume and share.
Speaker 7: People so as one does.
Speaker 4: So I hope that Emily, the owner operator we had on yesterday Gleam, knows what what she's gotten into by inviting me to come and scare people, because yeah, I get a little nutty. So Gleam car wash in Aurar tonight seven to nine, come on down.
Speaker 5: I would like you to. I would like you to be so scary that she gets complaints. That's Michael for you. Oh there you go.
Speaker 7: Why must you issue this challenge upon me?
Speaker 5: I'm just saying I want somebody to complain that you were too scary, But.
Speaker 4: I want to get invited next year. She already said, like the door is open to keep on coming back.
Speaker 7: So nice.
Speaker 4: I mean, maybe one solid complaint in ninety nine percent? Wow, that was awesome.
Speaker 5: I seriously, just one. I just want one, just a minor complete What the heck is that guy? Like, what does that guy do? And he scared the crap out of me. I will consider that a complaint.
Speaker 7: I should just have Emily tell everyone he's not with us. He's just not.
Speaker 6: He's just a guy who strolled up and started doing this.
Speaker 7: It's fine. I have a giant it's like a giant.
Speaker 4: Bat that has a half of a like buzzsaw connected to it as my weapon of choice. And Emily did tell me, and I'm going to say it on air. I called and said, hey, can we bring weapons, like fake weapons and to like where whatever I want? She goes this is an elementary You absolutely can, And I said, Emily, game on.
Speaker 5: She doesn't know, she doesn't know what she's unleashed.
Speaker 4: No, say my, yeah, my my clown audition for her. So this is her fault.
Speaker 5: So the other thing I want to talk about for tonight is while you're driving over to the car wash in Aurora, you can also listen to the replay of the fourth quarter of the Broncos game. And we're doing this tonight during Broncos Country tonight at six o'clock. And I have to tell you, guys, I kind of love this because, like you can go back if you've videotaped the game or whatever, but unless your rolling a cassette tape on Dave Logan, you don't get to hear his call of the game.
Speaker 6: And I was we already established.
Speaker 5: I had taken one for the team and walked away from the game, so I didn't get to hear this. So they're just playing the fourth quarter. I cannot wait because I didn't hear Dave's call. So I want to hear Dave's call of the fourth quarter of the week. It's gonna happen tonight.
Speaker 4: We don't always do this. This does not happen often. It's special occasion only this. This is not something you want to miss because it was an awesome call by those two.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm looking forward to hearing it tonight at six as you can as well. Now, I'm sure they edited all the extra out. What are we looking at? I mean, are we looking at fifteen minutes? Twenty minutes, thirty minutes? Do you know how long this is going to be?
Speaker 7: I don't know how long it's going to be.
Speaker 4: I assume they edited it a bit, but I want to guess, and I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but I want to guess we're going to do it without maybe without breaks. We're going to find out, I think so, I don't know, but it's definitely going to probably be spiced up and ready to rock and roll, can't miss radio.
Speaker 5: Okay, there you go. So those are two things that you got going on tonight. It is free for all Friday. And I just got a very good question, Hey, Mandy, what are the household chores does the Connell household undertake before it gets winter? Does Mandy wash your windows, touch up cock and exterior paint, maybe seal the driveway? I wish I was that motivated. I really do first of all, our driveway. We have to replace our driveway, so that's a project for the spring. So I'm certainly not doing anything to that raggedy driveway that we have right now. I should wash my windows, but they're high. Some windows are really high.
Speaker 6: How do you even do that? I'm cock that's the thing you do that.
Speaker 5: Now I feel like a terrible homeowner because I have never done any of these things before winter. I did.
Speaker 6: The sprinklers are blown out.
Speaker 5: This weekend, We'll take care of the yard, get all that situated, and then I'm done outside until spring.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 5: I also have to de plant my deck. I have to like throw away all my annuals that are planted on my deck. I'm gonna go ahead and knock that out this weekend. But other than that, Mandy, will they put the fourth quarter repeat on the podcast that I don't know the answer to and it has to do with the rights, but they had to get permission from the NFL to replay the fourth quarter anyway, so maybe they covered that. See if you reach out to Dave or anybody and find out if we know the answer to that question. Mandy, do you think that the East Wing ballroom will resemble the Death Star?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 7: No, I don't black wise.
Speaker 5: I think the new East Room ballroom is going to beautiful. And that's all I'm gonna say about it, because we're not talking about that.
Speaker 6: We're just not Mandy.
Speaker 5: Are you still excited about rewatching the Bronco game miracle knowing that the mafia probably rigged it?
Speaker 4: Y'all?
Speaker 5: The Broncos are not taking mafia money. Okay, it's not happening, and we're not watching it. We're listening to it on the radio. It's a Kawa call.
Speaker 6: Good afternoon, Mandy.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to say something about people who receive SNAP and Social Security. One group or you never mentioned are the disabled people who cannot work anymore because of their disabilities. I got my first job at thirteen, work for fifty years before I could not work anymore. If I could work, I would because fourteen hundred and seventy six dollars a month squat the food assistance and social security disability is all I get to live on. And Trump wants to take both of them. What then a concentration camp. Now that's not fair because not anyone in the Trump administration is talking about people going after people who have genuine disabilities.
Speaker 6: They have talked about going after disability fraud.
Speaker 5: They have talked about tightening up the requirements, meaning that you may have to just requalify or provide some documentation every six months. And I don't want you to feel like we're coming after you. As a matter of fact, on the Blog today, at number three on the Blog today, please donate to your local food banks. Now, I've been talking about the unsympathetic people on social media that are complaining about losing their benefits and how they believe their benefits are owed to them. But I also say on my blog there are a lot of people who are just struggling and they need help, and their SNAP benefits are not going to be paid in November, which means that there is going to be a ton of people who need help in November. So I'm asking you, please, please please donate to your local food bank wherever you are, and not just Thanksgiving food, although Thanksgiving food would be great, and we're I hope going to do our annual turkey drive again for Christmas. But if you can't afford it, if you can write them a check, if you can donate cash, that money goes the furthest okay, because they can buy food in bulk that we cannot buy. They can buy food at wholesale pricing. We cannot buy that. But if you like the feeling of donating food and you know, actually walking into the food bank and saying here you go, that's great too. Whatever works. But if you have the means, if you are not struggling right now, if your family is doing okay, please consider making a donation to the food bank. And I don't think I have ever in my entire life on the radio ever quoted scripture to you, but I'm about to right now. One of my favorite favorite, actually probably my favorite Bible verse is and I had to look up which book it was from.
Speaker 6: I'm not one of those people that can just quote things.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 5: Chapter verse comes from Luke twelve forty eight and it's too much as given, much as expected. And as i have gotten to be more financially successful, as I've gotten older, as many of.
Speaker 6: Us do, that Bible verse sticks with me.
Speaker 5: It just sticks in my brain because I feel like, if you've got blessings in your life, and sometimes blessings come from really really hard work, but if you have blessings in your life and you have the ability to share some of those blessings with other people, this would be a perfect time to do it, because just like this texter, there are a lot of people who would love to be out there working and they can't because their body will not allow them to do it.
Speaker 2: So it is.
Speaker 5: One of those things that we as a community can make a real impact. We can make a real difference for people in our community that are struggling.
Speaker 6: And it's not all those jackasses.
Speaker 5: On social media complaining about how somebody needs to take care of theirs. These are people in our community here in Colorado who are having a hard time keeping up with the rise and cost of everything. So please, please, please, if you can make a donation to a local food bank. And if you don't know, look in your area. I mean, I think every community has some kind of food bank. If you don't have one, food Bank of the Rockies serves so many other food banks that you can always donate to food Bank of the Rocky Rockies to help someone out. So today is the first day I've ever quoted scripture, and it is Luke twelve forty eight to those much as given, much as expected. So there you go. We will come right back after this. We got a ton of people on the text line back in a moment. Keep it right here on KOA ask me anything so you can text us on the Common Spirit Health text line at five six six nine oh, which is talking about the snap benefit situation. Mandy, I know a lot of people that purposely stay below the poverty level free health insurance and other benefits. I wish I could tell you that I disagreed with you, but I have I've actually seen this in practice. One of my clients in Louisville Kentucky when I was there, owned a really kick ass little grocery store called Lots of Pasta, and I still go there every time I go back to Louisville because they have the best food. Anyway, I'm waiting to have a sandwich made because they have like a little deli sandwich or whatever, or they have a little deli there, and I'm waiting.
Speaker 6: There's like four people in line.
Speaker 5: There's three people behind the counter waiting or helping everybody, and they're moving at a good clip.
Speaker 6: This place is very efficient. So I'm next.
Speaker 5: The guy finishes the person in front of me, and then he turns around and walks out and clocks out.
Speaker 6: Well, it's like it's an odd odd time.
Speaker 5: It's like eleven thirty seven in the morning or something like that, you know what I mean, Like, why would you clock out an eleven thirty seven? So I had to wait longer, and then I ran into the owner and I was like, dude, what is up? You got all these people waiting? This guy just literally left and clocked out. He goes, oh, oh yeah, he can only work twenty five hours a week or he loses his food stamps. And I was like, what what Now, don't get me wrong. I've talked about this on the show a lot about the welfare cliff that exists in this country that traps people in poverty. But the mindset that I Am not going to try and better myself so I don't lose those benefits, my god, that's the most limiting mindset in the world we have. And I've talked about this, you guys. I have had this conversation with so many members of Congress it's not even funny. Republican Democrat, multiple states across the country. The only one that was remotely interested in this conversation was Representative Thomas Massey, the only one that ever showed any interest in what I'm about to say. If we could fix the welfare system, and I don't know how with technology, this could not be super easy, where if someone got a raise or they worked more hours or whatever, we can't use a sliding scale to reduce their benefits a little bit at a time so they can continue to grow in a job, achieve in a job, get a better job, work their way to independence and off of dependency. You're telling me this camp, this can't be done. It's so stupid, so so stupid a Rod. I just had an a Rod day, played a little craps, then went to Fremont Street and saw Halloween theme. Band members included Freddy Krueger, teen Wolf, and Beatlejuice, and the other stage had a women of wrestling event Vegas.
Speaker 7: Yes, outside the last one. Who are we and why are we not? Friends?
Speaker 6: Ayrod has a new best friend now.
Speaker 5: Texting new friends. Yeah, Ralph said. We were on EBT until I was able to get unemployment. We make too much to get it with unemployment. I'd rather be on unemployment than EBT. Yeah, there you go, Mandy. Maybe after your show today, if you take a walk outside, you'll feel better. You guys, I can tell you right now that at three, I'm going to take to my bed and I may not get out the entire weekend. And not in a fun way, okay, just like and I don't feel like doing anything kind of way. I'll just sit there and I'll stroke Jinky's head. My dog sits right next to my bed. Whenever I'm in bed at the wrong time, right like, if it's not nighttime where we're supposed to be sleeping. If I get into my bed, my dog gets super concerned, and then she just sits right next to me, and if I don't sit there and keep my hand off the bed and scratch her ever so softly, she will just sit there and look at me and just be concerned. It's the cutest thing ever. This is why you need to own a Saint Bernard. I'm just saying, Mandy. I'm seventy one and would love to be working, but due to the loss of vision, I can't, and of course I can no longer drive. Please tell me Dragon Redbeard was not fired too. No, he's just sick. Everybody in the building is sick. I'm not in the building today because I am sick, and I have the luxury of being able to work from home.
Speaker 6: That is a luxury that I enjoy.
Speaker 5: Mandy. What is the name of the spice company that you get your spices from?
Speaker 6: Please?
Speaker 5: That is the Savory Spice Shop. Savory Spy Shop is so so good. And after talking to Kamie, the manager there yesterday, about Cinnamon, I don't think there's better people working in any spy shops other than that one. Mandy. Nothing was given to you. Everything you have you earned. I appreciate that sentiment, but in every every you know, I check and I have a little production company, just little side project that we have. It's called Serendipity Productions. And the reason we chose that is because so much of my career has been serendipitous.
Speaker 6: And hear me out.
Speaker 5: I was a flight attendant for Delta Airlines when I met the man on the airplane who tried to get me into radio. Initially, but I thought he was just hitting on me, so I threw his cart away, and then serendipitously, he was on the flight going in the other direction the following week with his wife, so I knew he wasn't creepy, you know. Serendipitously. Right when I was getting ready to quit my first horrible radio job, which was the worst awful radio job, I found out from someone else that someone else had gotten fired working at the station that I wanted to work at.
Speaker 6: So I got that job.
Speaker 5: Now, I used the initiative. I went and got the job. I have earned more jobs from there. But into every successful person's life, you have to admit that there is a bit of serendipity, a bit of good luck that happens.
Speaker 6: I am very grateful that my.
Speaker 5: Good luck has worked out and that I've taken advantage of the good luck. But I appreciate that sentiment very very much. Worl'll be back right after this. Keep it on KOA.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell and Connall.
Speaker 9: On ninem got the Nicey's three.
Speaker 7: Connell keeping Oh really sad thing.
Speaker 5: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to the second hour of the show. At one point thirty, we're gonna chat with Senator Barb Kirkmeyer about those snap benefits we were talking about a little while ago.
Speaker 6: It doesn't asked me anything kind of day.
Speaker 5: You can text us on the Common Spirit Health text line, and I want to answer this.
Speaker 6: Question because this is kind of interesting.
Speaker 5: And I thought to myself, even though Betty lou is texting from Louisville, Kentucky, I bet you knew people who live in the Denver metro wonder about this as well, Mandy, daily listener from Louisville, Kentucky. Why is there rock scaling going on almost every day and your traffic reports? What is this daily traffic maker info? Appreciated well, Betty Lou if you have not driven out here, you may not realize that Interstate seventy specifically goes through some of the most beautiful scenery you will ever see in your life. And on each side of the road they are big old hills, well not even hills, mountains that are covered with rocks. And rock scaling is when they go in and they either knock down loose rocks or this sometimes they blow up rocks and they're about to fall so they don't have a rock slide on the roadway in traffic and they have to obviously stop road or they have to stop traffic in that area while they're doing rock scaling, and they have to do it all the time.
Speaker 4: Yes, Anthony Shorter answer in less usefulness. Everywhere on the roads in Colorado, there's always something stupid going on.
Speaker 7: And that's not stupid. The rock scaling is necessary.
Speaker 4: But everything else on our roads causing delays late at night or early in the morning. I'm definitely not bitter so and are most of the time useless, like oh, I don't know, them having a million cones of or miles long. And then the cars they are looking to do something or just sitting there and doing nothing and causing twenty thirty minute delays. Please, for the love of God, you've been you're you're a traveler, Mandy, yes, ask you anything. Is it this bad literally everywhere? Because no good, no God, I'm losing my patience now.
Speaker 5: To be clear, they're there are other cities that are this bad. I never want to drive in Atlanta again in my life ever, I'm never I'm never renting a car in Atlanta. Atlanta's traffic is worse than here. Los Angeles traffic is worse than here. But other than that, you know, I it's not that bad. I'm just I'm being honest. What was amazing in Japan A rod is they had as many cars on the road in Japan. Japan has incredibly crowded roadways, but you know what they didn't have They didn't have any accidents and you never came to a full stop. I mean we would be on an interstate that was like six lanes wide, okay, full of cars every I mean full of cars bumper to bumper. But everybody's going the same speed, nobody's jumping lane to lane. Everybody's just very nicely driving at the same speed. Everybody's paying I mean, it was remarkable to me how orderly their traffic is in Tokyo, Japan, where there are millions of people.
Speaker 4: It doesn't help that along with the aw fully planned traffic projects that everyone here drives idiotically, they rate used out of my horn and a certain finger on my hand.
Speaker 2: You're number one.
Speaker 5: Anthony's just telling you that, yeah, uh, here's one Mandy. Do you have to show you are in need or low income in order to take food from the food bank. Because we were talking in the last hour in November, snap benefits are not coming in, and that's one of the things we're going to talk to Senator Barb Kirkmeyer about. Snap benefits are not going to be paid because of the government shutdown, and there are people who suck on social media who are complaining about it in a very entitled way, But there are people who genuinely are struggling in Colorado, and I was recommending that people donate to the food bank.
Speaker 7: So one of the.
Speaker 5: Things that studies have shown over and over and over again is that when you are in a face to face situation like at a food bank, where you're walking in and you need help and you have to look at someone and say Hey, I'm here, I need some food.
Speaker 6: Fraud drops dramatically.
Speaker 5: Now, there's still gonna be bad actors who are going to go in and lie and say they need food when they don't.
Speaker 6: Okay, because some people suck.
Speaker 5: But the reality is is that by having that face to face encounter with someone who is going to help you, fraud is actually far lower than it I would guess in the actual snap system, right, because there's a human being that you're encountering, and so I'm not particularly worried about that. I'm more worried about the fact that need was already up at our food banks, and many of our food banks do not have a lot of extra stock. And so if you have the ability to donate, the easiest way to donate is to just write a check because they can buy wholesale and they can get way more for that money. But I mean, you, guys, I like to donate food. I know that that may seem silly to other people because it's not as efficient, But I call the food bank, where I find out from the food bank most of the time on their websites they have the highest level of need, and then I try and fill that highest level of need. Whatever that is. So whatever you can do is going to be gratefully accepted by the folks who run our food banks around here, and you will be helping. So probably some of your friends and neighbors that you don't even know need that kind of help.
Speaker 4: And it's controlled. You're giving food, you know it's going to be eaten. You're not giving money, ye not guessing where it's going. You're not having money to someone on the street. You know the food is going in someone's mouth.
Speaker 6: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 5: Rock Scaling on the news is now about the I seventy project on Floyd Hill. I'm not even I should probably be embarrassed to admit this, but I'm gonna do it anyway because I'm sick and I'm under the weather, and maybe you'll just be kind to me, y'all. I have no idea where Floyd Hill is. No clue. I don't either, Oh, and you've lived here for how many years? Like I love our traffic people, but when they're talking about Floyd Hill and the Hogback, I have no clue where those places are.
Speaker 4: I mean, I fairly still understand what the hell the mouse trap is. I'm gonna be real with you, what is the mouse trap? Yes see, what is that?
Speaker 5: The I twenty five I seventy intersection I believe, okay, well that I knew that I knew, but I don't know where Floyd Hill is.
Speaker 6: I don't know where the hog back is hold.
Speaker 7: People are making these up.
Speaker 5: No, well, that's what I thought we should call John Morrissey. He's part of the problem here. You know, he absolutely would know. Hey, Mandy, traffic would be much better if people would zipper merge.
Speaker 6: Amen, texture you know what's up?
Speaker 4: You know what, Mandy? Yep, people are zipper merging pretty well.
Speaker 5: I will tell you, as.
Speaker 4: Your representative, who's on the roads for like two three hours a day. Yeah, I can say with pretty decent confidence people are yep.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's glorious.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm not taking full credit. I'm just saying I started the ball rolling down the hill, and people are just running with it.
Speaker 4: That is everyone else is everywhere else on the roads. The zipper merge people are doing pretty well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 5: Mandy, need clarification on the rock scaling on I seventy. They're in the process of widening I seventy in between Floyd Hill and Idaho Springs again. Still don't know where Floyd Hill is, but that's helpful. There's yeah, they're drilling and blasting away a section of the mountain to make way for the widening of the highway.
Speaker 6: That's what the rock scaling is all about.
Speaker 5: They shut down the highway for thirty minutes while they blast and remove any rocks that may have come down on the highway.
Speaker 7: So that's great, chat GPT.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Floyd Hill is an unincorporated community in Clear Creek County, lies along the I seventy Mountain Corridor west of Denver.
Speaker 5: So it's right as you go through Genesee, says this texter through.
Speaker 4: It says between the towns of Evergreen and Idaho Spring.
Speaker 6: Wait a minute, this person says, the mouse trap goes to Boulder.
Speaker 7: What okay, Well let's see what well good, let's.
Speaker 6: Get somebody from traffic on the show.
Speaker 4: We've got to get so we got to get to the bottom grass in Colorado.
Speaker 7: Let's see what chat GBT says about the mouse trap.
Speaker 5: Mandy. The hogback is associative hills going up high seventy or a long four seventy and also incorporates red rocks.
Speaker 4: See this says the mouse trap is the interchange where I twenty five and I seventy intersect.
Speaker 7: So does it really go as far as let's see, does it go as far as?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I don't think so. Uh No, that texture is wrong, does not okay? Just that interchange?
Speaker 7: Weird?
Speaker 5: Andy, there's more city north of the tech center. No, No, I know a lot of the city. I know a lot of the city. I now can go into downtown Denver and get around without my GPS, which I consider a victory. Right, But the traffic reports.
Speaker 4: By the way, in case it doesn't go without saying, Chad jibi, you confirm what we already knew. It's called the mouse trap because of how vehicles get caught in it's maze.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 5: Yes, indeed, traffic would be a lot better if we were all Japanese. Correct, Texter, correct now. I got a thing on the blog day that I want to bring up.
Speaker 4: Wait, the hog Back narrow long ridge of rock that formed the eastern edge of the Rocky Mountains. The hog back, not, as helpful it says, made of tilted sedimentary rock layers that were pushed up seventy million years ago.
Speaker 7: The hog back name.
Speaker 4: Come from how it looks a long curved back like a hog or a bore. Several stretches near Morrison in Red Rocks along C four seventy and I seventy in Dinosaur Ridge, which is between Golden and Morrison.
Speaker 5: I know where that is hogback. Okay, that is actually very helpful. I just learned a lot from that. That's very good. So on the blog today, because ballots are out. You should have your ballot by now. If you do not, I would check with your local clerk's office and make sure that it has not been taken by someone else. Ballots are out and a lot of people are writing to me and saying, hey, I don't know who to vote for in my little town council race, or I don't know who to vote for in this or that, and guys, I have been trying, but I can't get into every race in every sort of situation. But I want to be helpful, and I'm using a great story about our Vada City council candidates from the Denver Gazette to help you learn how to vet your own candidates. And it's all about the words that they look or that they use. Right, I don't want to read you one little thing. This is about homelessness. They ask the city of our vatical candidates about homelessness. One of them said, the price of development the city is too high, with permitting in water tap pees reaching upwards of two hundred thousand dollars before development can begin. He'd like to create a sliding scale throughout the city to reduce development costs. Now, that guy's name is Griffith. He's running answer person named Vargas. This is Bargus's answer. She's a she unhoused. People aren't looking to be unhoused. They are looking for a community. Now, if I give you both of those answers, who is more likely to be the conservative and who is obviously invested in the housing first nonsense. Anybody uses the words unhoused, They'll show you with their words. They'll show you where they lean just by their policy positions. And you guys are smart enough to look at this stuff and figure out exactly what it is. Right, You're smart enough. I have a lot of faith in you guys. Look at the language that they use. Do they use the language of activists or do they use language that real people use? That's the big key, you know, there are so many different ways and if all health fails. If you really are, you know, baffled by what to vote for in your county, reach out to the Republican Party if you're a Republican, reach out to the Democratic Party if you're a Democrat, reach out if you're an independent, to whichever party you more closely align with. Ask them their thoughts, Ask them why, ask them who they're supporting. You know, I mean, we have abdicated so much of our responsibilities civically that we're looking for an easy answer. And don't get me wrong, Like for the big elections, I'm more than happy to provide you a voter guide and give you some guidance that you can use to cast your ballots. But we're in the smaller elections like we have this year, I don't have the time or knowledge set to go through every single one of them. But you are empowered, you're smart enough, you're good enough, and dog on it. People like you, Okay, so you can make this happen. Just pay attention to the words that they use. They will tell you everything you need to know. Mandy, Once again, I got the helpful text message saying my ballot was delivered. Now going on the sixth year, not living in Colorado.
Speaker 6: Wow. Wow, that's fantastic, Mandy.
Speaker 5: The nickname the mousetrap was going back in the nineteen seventies by a traffic reporter back in the day. It is definitely the I seventy I twenty five interchange. Mandy.
Speaker 6: I call good luck a god thing. That's one way to look at it.
Speaker 5: Mandy. The mouse trap was a thing back in the day at I twenty five and I seventy till they finally redid that interchange. That interchange is still a nightmare, big time, a complete nightmare, Mandy. The mousetrap was named where I seventy five met or used to meet. It used to have a tower and look like the mousetrap game. The tower has been removed. Oh that's interesting, Mandy. That is so true. I noticed in the Douglas County school board race all the Democrats had mental health is a key issue in their sites. The other Democrats listed as good candidates. I don't know, yeah, one hundred percent. Let me talk about that for a second. Because school board races, we already know are super important, and the left, the teachers' unions, they have coalesced around this idea that school board candidates should be running on children's mental health. And I'm just gonna throw this out here. I could be totally wrong in this, but I feel like I'm right. If you want kids to have self esteem, if you want kids to have good mental health, if you want kids to feel good about themselves, help them learn, help them learn new things, help them accomplish things in the classroom, Challenge them, and when they accomplish those goals, celebrate them. It is not the job's responsibility to manage the mental health of children in their care. The job of the schools is to educate children. And when children are educated well and they have confidence in their abilities and they can do hard things, that is when their mental health gets better. And if you really care about mental health, then we need to completely eliminate phones in the classroom. One of the things that has been coming out since more and more school districts this year across the country have created some cell phone ban, whether it is a band where you walk into the classroom and you put your phone in a bag, or it's a full all day ban. And you know what the kids in those schools are saying. They're saying at first, they didn't like it. But now I'm happier. I have more friends, I have more fun at lunch and in between the classes, I'm actually talking to people. I mean, come on, if you're worried about mental health, then do the things that the school should do, which is educate the kids, give them a great education, give them that solid foundation. And secondarily, we need to have a serious conversation about banning phones in school. And Guys, I am the mother of a high school student in Colorado. I understand every single one of your concerns about school shootings. I understand it all one hundred percent.
Speaker 6: I get it.
Speaker 5: I understand all that. But my insecurities and your insecurities should not be put ahead of the mental health of our children. And the reality is is that phones are a nightmare for kids. Social media is a nightmare for kids, and we need to do a better job of understanding that we are not helping them by giving into our anxieties and keeping keeping phones in the classroom. It's just not We're going to see more and more information. We're going to have to get over it. And I'd rather remove on this now than later, because I think for many kids it is a game changer. In terms of being a happier kid. Bullying goes way down, having more friends, being more social. We destroyed these kids by closing schools during COVID. We've destroyed many of their ability to just have friends. So there you go, Mandy. Chat GPT is a great resource to ask about what a candidate believes in. I would double check. You guys know, I love Chat GPT. I use it all the time. Chat is still not perfect, So click through those links and look and see what Chat says. Those links say because I've had three or four instances, not a lot, and I use chat all day every day. You guys, it is my I ask it everything. Let's see what I've asked it since the beginning of the show. Okay, let me just pull this up really really quickly, so let me see here. I've asked it about if there are any changes coming for disability. I asked it about that. It gave me all kinds of stuff about social security. I asked if same sex marriage was under attack. It gave me all kinds of information about that. Earlier today, I asked about Denver landlord rule changes, the American beef industry output. I mean, I ask it about all this stuff, but you have to check it. You have to just click through the links. Read what it says. Mandy and Douglas County. Which group do you recommend or both know good? I am all about the common sense slate a veil Keaton, Wait, veil Keaton, Gamble and Kramer, veil Keaton, Campbell and Kramer.
Speaker 6: That is the common sense slate.
Speaker 5: I am extremely concerned, although I will say that there are some really smart people on the other side and they have some good ideas.
Speaker 6: I would hope that if they don't win.
Speaker 5: They would work with whoever the board that does get a elected to bring some of those ideas forward. But I am extremely concerned because they've all been endorsed by the union, and the union is trying to get a collective bargaining agreement back in Douglas County. Douglas County is doing just fine without it, and I think that if they did bring the collective bargaining agreement back to Douglas County, they would have a zero percent chance of getting any sort of mill levy override passed. And our teachers are still underpaid in Douglas County. They are they're underpaid compared to the Metro and we have really, really great teachers because our district does really, really well, and I'd like to pay them more money. I'd like to raise my own taxes to pay teachers more money. And don't even give me. The school district needs to do a better job, because I've looked at the budget. They run a lean machine in Douglas County. Anyway, Mandy, you need to tell people to find the statements the candidates have made. I would agree with you normally, but I was sent information by the American Teaching Federation Teachers Federation that one of the candidates running for Douglas County School is publicly saying, oh, you know, I'm not sure about the collective bargaining agreement. But apparently he told the union that he was going to kind of keep his comments to himself before the election and then really show what he thought after the election. So you've got to make sure that you're following along to make sure you know what they're.
Speaker 6: Actually going to do.
Speaker 5: Mandy, of cell phones are affecting the mental health of students, and school shootings keep getting correlated with mental health. So part of the solution to school shootings is banning cell phones seems ironic. The parents fight against cell phone bands. They fight against cell phone bans because they themselves are scared. That's why parents fight against cell phone bands. And here's the thing, you guys, we have had way more than our share of school shootings in Colorado, way more.
Speaker 10: So.
Speaker 5: I don't want to make it seem like I'm breezily dismissing that. But the reality is is your kid having a cell phone in school isn't going to change anything in a school shooting situation.
Speaker 4: Mandy.
Speaker 5: If you want to improve kids' mental health, we need to get the peedos and sexual deviance out of the school districts. Without phones to record the behaviors of these teachers and administrators, it's almost impossible to prove the accusation Pooter school district is out of control. Guys, guess what When I was in college, I had a little pen that was a recorder. If you're worried about it, send your kid to school with that. We'll be right back. Keep it on KOA.
Speaker 6: This texter said listening online.
Speaker 5: I work at a six through twelve school in Albuquerque, and we have a no phone policy. The kids are social in ways I haven't seen since I was in school over twenty years ago, big advocate, and the students have adjusted and are enjoying it. Isn't that more important than our worries? Honestly? Now, let's check in on the common Spirit health topline with Senator Barb Kirkmeyers. She's popping in because we know that we're going to be hit here in Colorado. This is one of the reasons that I started the show urging you to please donate to a food bank because net benefits are not coming because Congress can't get their act together. And I'd like to welcome Senator Barb Kirkmeyer to the show. Hi, Barb, how are you good?
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me on. I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: So what does this mean at the state level, Barb?
Speaker 5: Like, what what does this mean in your view that SAT benefits are not coming in in November?
Speaker 3: Well, again, as you've already stated, and it's it's not Congress this time, it's actually our two US senators, both Democrats, Senator Bennett and Hickenlooper are they're just carelessly gambling with people's lives and their ability to feed their families. And then you have a governor who doesn't use the tools that are out there that he should be using saying, ah, this is you know, we're gonna have an issue here because of Tabor. Seriously, this is an emergency. And instead of coming to the Joint Budget Committee and saying, gush, I need ten million dollars to give for you know, to make sure that people have access to food because they've shut down the Democrats have shut down the federal government. He should be looking at his emergency management protocols. We have an emergency operations plan to deal with emergencies, and that's what he should be looking at. And we should be looking at our disaster Emergency Fund and actually figuring out how to provide for the benefits food for people that they can get it onto their table.
Speaker 5: I think it's very very interesting that you started out talking about Senators Ticking loop Or and Bennett, because the reality is they do have the power. You know, we need five more senators to vote to move this thing along to.
Speaker 6: Get it done.
Speaker 5: And I have to say, Barb, you know, and the Republican Party for the last I don't even know how many years, because I mean, I feel like we have a shut down every five minutes now and I just I don't even care anymore. That being said, I've never seen them be so firm about sticking with what they're doing now and refusing to capitulate to these kind of threats by the Democratic Party. And I'm kind of proud of them a little bit because they're not doing something crazy. They're asking Democrats to vote on something that they voted on in March.
Speaker 6: Wasn't that long ago.
Speaker 5: My frustration is that they won't do it through regular order, But that's a whole other conversation for another place. So tapping into the emergency benefits, I agree, well, what would that look like?
Speaker 6: I mean, what how does that process go?
Speaker 3: But here's the thing. The governor goes out and just announces we're going to you know, we're going to do ten million dollars. Next week, the Joint Budget Committee is meeting because they're like, well, we got to do a supplemental and we need ten million dollars a general fund to try and feel you know, what is a program that's costing one hundred and twenty million dollars in benefits on a monthly basis. So you know, he's coming up and saying, look, I'm going to put about eight percent into it. I'm going to overwhelm the food banks and food pantries in our state. You know, he didn't have a discussion with all the food pantries and the food so the food banks, and he's just gone about this the totally the wrong way. There is no plan here, and he's just going to make matters worse. I mean, what's going to happen when people go to a food panty or a food bank because Polus told him that's where they should go and there is no food there. There's going to be enough, right. And the whole thing about donations, and I think it's wonderful that people want to donate fund and donate CANDA items and food and that type of thing that I can tell you after managing our Hurricane Katrina operation for the state of Colorado back in what was that two thousand and five, two thousand and six, somewhere in there, you know, I can tell you that donation management becomes a disaster all in its own because people just start dropping off all sorts of things. What are you supposed to do with all of that? So what should be occurring here is this we have what is called the disaster emergency fund, and it actually has about somewhere between you know, somewhere around two hundred and seventy million dollars in it as of September thirtieth. Now, I'm sure there are some other bills there because of the flooding that occurred in Laplata, But this is a fund that we have in place that the governor can tap into. He doesn't need to ask for a supplemental. He can tap into this simply by declaring an emergency. And if not having enough food to feed six hundred thousand people in our state is an emergency, I'm not sure what would be. So he needs to declare an emergency and what he should be doing right now, and he doesn't even have to declare that emergency right now. You can declare that if we find out we're not going to be able to get the government running again, if Bennett Hickenloob don't do their job and actually get government running again. So what should be occurring right now is they should be putting a plan in place, and he should be pulling in his departments of Education, his Department of Human Services, his Department of Health, probably the Department of the Agriculture, and any other of our state's departments that have food programs in their department. He should be pulling them in. We should be pulling in the faith based community. We should be pulling in Salvation Army, Red Cross, other non governmental organizations, and other government or non governmental organizations are volunteer groups that work through the Emergency Operations Plan that help out in emergencies and put together what is called an emergency an incident management plan and put the plan together. And they should be talking to counties. The counties can be doing this at the county level, and the state can help by providing resources through the Disaster Emergency Fund, which again somewhere up to two hundred and seventy million dollars in it as of September thirtieth. That's what should be accoreing here. This governor has totally missed the boat and he's going to make things even worse by saying if I'm going to try and fill this gap with ten million dollars, and oh, by the way, it's because we have TABOR. Get over it. We've had TABOR for thirty years. It's time to actually govern and be a governor that's going to do right by the people of this state.
Speaker 5: So do you think he's not doing that just to what could score some kind of political points or attack Tabor or what is the And I'm asking you to, you know, assign motive. And I realize that's hard. You're not inside his brain. But what are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 3: I think they think politically first instead of legitimately. How do we run a state government? What do we do in our mare urgency? Right? I mean, I don't know why his staff isn't going to him and saying governor, here's the plan, you know, I mean think about after like the Marshall fire, or the floods that we had in twenty thirteen, or when tornadoes hit, or even for goodness sakes, when we've had those snowstorms out on the Eastern plains and cattle were stranded out and build because of all the snow in the wind. I mean, we figured out how to get food to the cows here, using the National Guard, using our emergency operations plan. This is why we have an emergency operations plan and why we have a disaster emergency fund in this state. And I don't know why his staff isn't telling them. Maybe they are, I don't know why he's doing this, but to step up and say, well, you know, because of a textpayer bill of rice and because of you know, the billion dollars hit from that big bill. You know, this is this is all we can do. That's wrong.
Speaker 7: That is wrong.
Speaker 3: That is not all we can do. We should treat this as we would treat any other emergency. And he's just missing it. I don't know why. I don't want to assume that there's ill intention here. I mean, we've gone through all the political stuff for the last six months on this, or since July fourth, on all of this stuff, and I don't know why. But I do know what he should be doing. And this is what we should be doing in this state. And we should have a plan, and we should involve the right people so that we can provide for people to have the ability to feed their families, to you know, low income folks to be able to feed their families and not have a food security issue on top of all the other issues we have in this state.
Speaker 5: Aimen to that. I just got this text message a moment ago. Maybe Mandy, maybe Colorado or Denver could use the e vehicle rebate money for food banks instead of rebates for rich people.
Speaker 3: Well, there you go. I mean there's also the things that we could be looking at. But quite frankly, we have an emergency operating All of these departments have different emergency support functions within that plan. They should know what they were doing. I don't know why he's not getting good advice, or maybe he is and he's just not listening to it. I don't know, but I do know this is what we should be doing, and we know we can't keep blaming everybody else. We need to have solutions here, and this is what's expected of a governor.
Speaker 5: It would be nice stop baking everybody if it.
Speaker 6: Was solutions first.
Speaker 5: Politics. Second, Senator Barb Kirkmeer, state senator and gubernatorial candidate, who sounds like she would know what to do in this situation. I'm just saying, Bart, I appreciate your time today as always.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much, and thanks for having me on. I appreciate it, appreciate what you're doing for the state.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Barb. Kirkmeyer.
Speaker 7: Will be right back yours truly.
Speaker 4: You're gonna be filling in for Jojo, who usually hosts Broncos Game Day with Nick Ferguson every home game at eleven am right near Mini Mile High the VIP tailgate amongst.
Speaker 7: All of Broncos Country.
Speaker 4: Shout out to OURPD Dave Tepper for giving me that opportunity. So from eleven am to noon, yours truly Nick Ferguson.
Speaker 7: Going to be uh right in the middle of our.
Speaker 4: Pregame coverage this Sunday, So come say hello, and they heard about it Amenday show.
Speaker 5: And don't forget tonight if you just want to hear a replay of the fourth quarter with our KOWA broadcast team of Rick and Dave, We're going to replay that tonight in Broncos Country tonight, just the fourth quarter, because honestly, you don't want to listen to the first three quarters anyway, why would you? That would be like, why don't you just shove you a ice pick into your own eye instead of doing that? But the whole fourth quarter we're gonna play it again tonight. We've never done this before, but that fourth quarter was historic in many ways, and I didn't get to hear Dave's call of the fourth quarter, So I'm super excited about this and you can hear that tonight during Broncos Country to night and then Ben will take things from there after that. So you've got a lot of Broncos stuff happening this weekend. I'm actually excited about this game. I think this game is going to be one of the best tests of our defense we've had so far.
Speaker 6: Their offense is really impressive.
Speaker 4: Their offense is really impressive, and that's what concerns me.
Speaker 7: Big time boost for the Broncos offense.
Speaker 4: They just announced superstar cornerback Trayvon Diggs for the Cowboys will be out of this game with a concussion. That is a massive, massive loss. And I will say that may or may not impact something for all of our picks for this game, but we may have already made our picks and put it on the graphic and Okay, I'm just gonna.
Speaker 7: Preview and say we're all a little torn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because Dallas's offense is really, really, really, really good.
Speaker 6: I could see this being a high scoring affair.
Speaker 4: It has to be because their defense is the worst in the league. It is the worst in the league. You have to destroy them.
Speaker 7: Run the ball. I mean, you gotta get going early.
Speaker 4: Let's get some tempo, Let's get some guys in rhythm, a little bit less rotation going and pounce early, because if you go up seven, ten, fourteen, nothing on this team early, you can send Benito Cooper after Dak Preside, really pounce and make this thing ugly quick.
Speaker 5: I am hoping. I'm just gonna say it, like I know, Sean Payton is an amazing coach, and I'm not an NFL coach. I've never won a Super Bowl. I've never done any of those things. I have not been a fan of the play calling in the beginning of the game compared to the end of the game. And so I'm hoping that they loosen things up a little bit and let Bo kind of be a little more free wheeling than he has been because he seems to excel in that situation.
Speaker 7: He does. He says he likes tempo, and Mandy, I'm telling you you.
Speaker 4: Got to keep pace because the Chargers won last night on Thursday night, they blew out the Vikings. So if you win, you remain a game up in the division. The Chiefs are coming. And while looking at that Chiefs game coming up on November sixteenth, because Mandy, if the Broncos win this game going into that Chiefs game, it's very likely the Broncos will be on a seven game winning streak because you have the Texans in Houston next week. They do not look good on offense whatsoever, and the Raiders are terrible.
Speaker 7: You have them at home the next week.
Speaker 4: So going to that Chiefs game, you could be riding a seven game winning streak at eight and two if you win this Cowboys game, that is where.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that Chiefs game, if you beat the Chiefs, that's a two game game.
Speaker 7: I'm really glad to be at home.
Speaker 4: I'm really glad the first twelve of the Chiefs matchups at home. Of course, we all know they go to Casey on Christmas, so I'm really glad this first one is at home. But Casey, after starting zero to two, they already look like uh back in the Super Bowl in February. That's where the that's where we're at now in the wide op NFL. That's how much the Chiefs have bounced back. So you got to be you got to be solving your offensive woes right now and over these next two weeks Houston and the Raiders to make sure you are full steam ahead going into that Chiefs matchup.
Speaker 7: A let's go yep to.
Speaker 5: The texture who said, Mandy, I usually listen to your show on my phone. I'm encouraged now to find some disinfectant to dejerm my phone. Lol. Sorry to be so snarky now, I'm not saying I don't think my my illness can travel through the airwaves. But hey, whatever makes you feel more secure, just whatever. Let's take a quick time out when we get back. We've got a lot of stories on the blog that we have not gotten to, especially one about another guy who should in prison who just attacked a school teacher.
Speaker 6: We have an update.
Speaker 5: The Johnstown Breeze publisher apologized, and I'm going to try and get the co owner of the Johnstown Breeze on the shows because you sent me back a long email that was very, very interesting, and I think the disconnect between what he hears and what I heard from you guys who are familiar with the Johnstown Breeze is significant and a rod it may be super easy for us to cover. The DNC might be coming back to Denver. We'll have information about that right after this. Keep it on KOA.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock, accident and injury lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell and Donnell on KA ninety one, FMA got.
Speaker 5: Way, Ken, Nicey Free and Connell Keith sad Babe. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to the third hour of the show. Joe, I am your very sickly host.
Speaker 6: Mandy Connall just being so.
Speaker 5: Strong to get to this point. Anthony Rodriguez heer with me as mad and today we're going to take you right up until three o'clock when KOA Sports is going to jump in to preview Sunday's game against the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Of course, Ay Rod.
Speaker 5: Just let you know he's going to be down at the stadium doing the pregame show with Nick Ferguson, so stop buy and see him on Sunday and tonight. Of course, we're replaying the historic fourth quarter of last week's game in the first part of Broncos Country Tonight tonight at six.
Speaker 6: So you got all that going on.
Speaker 5: So in the break, a Texter sent me a text and said, Mandy, you know they caught the guy that was involved in that two two five shooting last weekend. I don't know if you've heard about this, but in the middle of the night police get a report of a vehicle that had driven into one of.
Speaker 6: The barriers on southbound I two two five.
Speaker 5: They get there, they find a guy who's been shot multiple times, so they have now a red did the guy who has been accused of that crime. His name is Celine Vieda ri Elana, thirty eight years old. He's now been charged with a lot of stuff, including attempted first degree murder.
Speaker 6: But this is where it gets good.
Speaker 5: First of all, Aurora PD said, investigators you'd flock safety cameras equipped with license plate readers and were able to identify a vehicle in connection with the shooting, which is believed to have been targeted. Orilana was later identified as the registered owner of the suspected vehicle. On Thursday, officers conducted a traffic stop and arrested him. During a media briefing, This is from our friends at Fox thirty one.
Speaker 6: By the way, KADVR.
Speaker 5: During a meeting briefing on Friday, Aurora Police Chief Todd Chamberlain said at the time of the arrest, officers searched the vehicle and recovered a handgun along with shellcasings, which was allegedly linked back to the shooting. According to Chamberlain, APD did not have an arrest warrant at the time of the year rest. However, in consultation with the US Department of Homeland Security Investigations Orlana was taken into US Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody on possible federal charges for the possession of the handgun. Following their rest, an investigation revealed that Arolana, a Honduran national, was allegedly making plans to flee the country.
Speaker 6: And this is where it gets really good.
Speaker 5: According to Aurora PD, Arolana was previously deported in two thousand and seven, twenty eighteen, and twenty twenty. In twenty twenty, he was deported following an arrest in Denver for charges relating to a sexual assault involving a victim under the age of fifteen.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: Todd Chamberlain, the chief of police who's going to be on the show later this week in Aurora, says this case is a clear example of why our partnership with Homeland Security Investigations and ICE is so critical. Without their cooperation, we would not have the ability to hold this dangerous individual accountable for his actions here in Aurora. Chamberlain said at a restaurant was formally filed on Thursday evening, in which Orelano was arrested on charges of attempted first to remurder, first to reassault, menacing an illegal discharge of a firearm. Democrats are in favor of policies that would protect this man, whether it's getting rid of the flock cameras, the license plate readers that allowed APD to figure out who.
Speaker 6: This guy was.
Speaker 5: Democrats don't want our law enforcement to work with Ice on any level. This is what Democrats are fighting for. They're fighting for this guy. They're fighting for a guy who sexually assaulted a victim under the age of fifteen when he was thirty three years old.
Speaker 6: That's who they're fighting for.
Speaker 5: And I know it sounds harsh and it sounds kind of mean for me to put it that way, But until somebody starts really talking about who they're fighting for, because they can say they're fighting for people who are just here trying to live, I get it, I get all that, But in reality, they're fighting for people like this this guy, this guy who shot someone on two two five, this guy who sexually assaulted a victim under fifteen, this guy who was arrested three times prior, but probably rocked right back over the southern border during the Biden administration.
Speaker 6: That's who Democrats are fighting for. I don't forget it.
Speaker 5: And if you have a chance to ask them why they're fighting for those people, please please do make that point.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 5: I've got a lot of other stuff happening, and it's not keeping the Libs at bay. It's keeping ignorance at bay. And it's ruling the day, not ruining the day or ruining the day.
Speaker 7: Mandy.
Speaker 5: They need to pay past Kate's law. Bill O'Reilly pushed it years ago. McConnell killed it. Trump is pushing it again. I remember that, but I don't remember the details. So I'm gonna not comment on that because I'm not sure. Good news, nerdy rock and roll fans. Guess who's coming to Denver? If you guessed Rush, you guessed right now.
Speaker 6: Oh a Rod's making face bar.
Speaker 5: You probably don't want to go because the bathroom lines are super long for guys at Rush. There's no ladies.
Speaker 7: Wait wait, not because Rush is so overrated and not great boat.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, Russian concert. I've seen him in concert three times already, and I'm going to see him again.
Speaker 4: Where's the local paint drying event. I'll be going to that and stop it.
Speaker 5: They got a new chick drummer because Neil peerre passed away, and they are so good in concert, but it is basically a sausage farm, like it's all dudes. When I go to a Rush concert, I'm like, oh my gosh, I might be one of the hottest women here because there's only like five I've never waited for the bathroom at a Rush concert. It is glorious, absolutely glorious. And somebody said, if you're going to the Rush concert, you're cutting it close for your trip.
Speaker 6: Oh I can do both.
Speaker 5: By the way, the Mandy Connell Adventure is selling like hotcakes. If you have not called cruise and tour you're thinking about it, thinking about it, you're gonna miss your chance. We're way over half sold. We may be even three quarters sold at this point, so go to Mandy Connell trip dot com to check that out. It's after the Rush concert, though, Ross and I are already we're strategizing. Ross and I have a plan to get good tickets on the main market, not on the resale market.
Speaker 4: Them.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, we are all smarty pants. Smarty smarty going to the party. I see what you did there, but I'm excited and any other nerdy Rush fans.
Speaker 6: I've got a link to the story.
Speaker 5: So and if you sign up for the fan club, you can be in the pre Salem.
Speaker 6: Just letting you know. When we get back, our coverage.
Speaker 5: For the next Democratic National Convention could allow us to sleep in our own beds, which for that convention I would be fine with. I'd be totally cool with that. I want Republicans to pick someplace good. But if the DNC, well, i'll tell you where it might be right after this. Keep it on.
Speaker 6: KOA.
Speaker 5: Denver is trying to host the DNC in twenty twenty eight. They of course did it in the Obama years, which makes me think it's going to be harder for them to land this again. But if they do, it'd be super convenient because then I could just stay in my own.
Speaker 6: Bed while I covered the DNZ again.
Speaker 5: We've already a run is demanding that Rob Dawson and I go ahead and go to the Republican National Convention and the DNC again.
Speaker 6: Yep, And I got to tell you the last time, I'm.
Speaker 5: Still tired from that.
Speaker 7: It was a lot, you'll be there.
Speaker 5: Might be less running around. If I go again, I might be like, no, I can't run around, Like well.
Speaker 4: Just inject, we'll lay it down. We'll get some red bull iv up into you. You'll be okay. There you go, there you go.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 6: So that may happen in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 5: We'll keep you posted on that, but I want to share with you yesterday I talked about the Johnstown Breeze, the little newspaper up in Johnstown. The publisher of the Johnstown bree got a press release from the Weld County Republican Party. It's up in Weld County and they were saying, look, we're having a hoe down this Saturday. It's just a press release. I get them all the time, and she could not resist the urge to send back a snotty email that said, when is the flag burning in Mexican whippings starting? I mean, it's just rude.
Speaker 6: It was, and I kind of feel.
Speaker 5: Like I know what happened. Like she saw this and was annoyed, and instead of thinking about what she was doing, she just shot off a snotty response. Well, the Republican Party posted her comments online and she apologized, and the co owner of The Johnstown Breeze sent me her apology and said, hey, you know, she apologized. Here's what it is in its entirety. Hello, Weld County Republicans. I want to apologize for the comment I made in a reply to an email sent to you all. It was inappropriate to ask when the flag burning and Mexican whippings were scheduled. I am sorry for any distress I may have called. Any further comment would be a justification or be open to misinterpretation. Sincerely, Leslie Banger, publisher the Johnstown Breeze. Now I'm assuming that she probably had the look of a hostage while she was typing this out, and I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I'm making assumptions, that's what I do.
Speaker 5: But I emailed her, the co owner of the paperback, and said, look, you know, perhaps you should know that when I brought this up, I got several text messages from people saying this is on brand for the Johnstown Breezes and that you have a reputation as being a left leaning outlet. And I have invited him to come on the show to talk about it, so maybe we can have a conversation about what we perceive to be left wing versus what the paper perceives to be straight and narrow down the middle. And I would love to have these conversations on a regular basis.
Speaker 6: I would love to be able to say. My frustration with.
Speaker 5: The media, the left leaning media, which is so much of the national media, all of our paper, you know, except the Denver Gazette, is that when you try to tell them, hey, this is what makes you sound like a left winger, they will deny it. They will absolutely say no, no, no, no no. And we just saw evidence of this with the story of oh jeez, I just lost my train of thought. We saw evidence of this when Barry Weis, who just took over as editor in chief of CBS News, in her first meeting with sixty minutes, asked a very simple question, why do people perceive you to have a left wing bias? And no one could answer the question, guys. I interviewed Bernie Goldberg, formerly of CBS News in like two thousand and six about his book Bias, where he very clearly laid out how the operations are in CBS News and why he believed they were hopelessly biased. In a book, Okay, that was like two thousand and six. I think the book came out in two thousand and four. I don't remember. We've had twenty five years of this now, twenty years of this, and they still can't see where the bias is. I know personally, for me, I have worked with people in my career over many many years that were, in my opinion, very biased on the air. And here I'm a talk show host, I'm expected to be biased. I tell you where my biases are. I tell you where they come from, and you can decide whether or not to listen if you will, right, It's fine, but news people have to do better than that. In the past, I have actually reached out to some of my news colleagues and said, hey, I heard an interview or a story that you did, and if you want to know why our listeners perceive you as left wing, go back and listen to this, and here's why you guys to a person, they argue with me about how wrong the listener.
Speaker 6: I'm like, I'm not attacking you.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to help you understand why you're perceived as left wing. There's been no introspection on this issue. There's been no naval game on this issue. There's been no attempt to fix this issue in way too many news media outlets, and so I try.
Speaker 6: So I'll see.
Speaker 5: I've offered him to come on the show. I'd love to have a conversation with him about this, so we'll see what happens when we get back. Earlier this week, we were talking with the Common Sense Institute folks about a new study they put out about how we're letting more criminals out of jail and completely coincidentally are crime rates of skyrocketed.
Speaker 6: I'm sure they're not connected. I'm kind of sure they are.
Speaker 5: DA from the fourth Congressional or the fourth Judicial District, Michael Allen reached out to me and said, Mandy, we got to talk about how the changes to qualified immunity are changing law enforcements. So he's coming on with us next to do just that. Keep it on KOA about the man who was just arrested for attempted murder for the shooting on two two five in Denver. Apparently the gentleman who had already been deported three times. He in twenty twenty when he was arrested for child sex assault charges. I said, lodged a detainer on him. The Denver Justice Center declined to honor the detainer and released him into.
Speaker 6: The community instead.
Speaker 5: Ice caught him later and deported him after that, but we know that at some point he walked back across the southern border and now has perhaps murdered someone. The guy's still in the hospital fighting for his life, so I just wanted to get that update. Another example of the things Democrats fight for in Colorado. Joining me now from the fourth Judicial District is DA Michael Allen, who reached out to me after the conversation with former police chief Paul Paysan about releasing criminals and seeing violent crime rise. Although Da Michael Allen, I'm sure there's no connection at all between those two things, but then you sent an email and said, Mandy, we're not even talking about what the lack of qualified immunity for police officers is doing.
Speaker 6: So welcome to the show to have that conversation.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Well, thanks a lot, Mandy for having me on and having a chance to discuss this.
Speaker 8: I thought the conversation you had with Paul.
Speaker 10: Pays And I think it was a Tuesday or Wednesday, I thought it was really good. I happened to catch a big chunk of it. And one of the things that I think people have forgotten about is that Senate Bill twenty dash two seventeen, which was called Police Accountability. I think they had some other fancier name for it to make it sound like it was a good thing, but it has turned out to be a bad thing, and it really it was designed to remove qualified immunity protections from police officers who are out in the field making tough decisions every day, fighting crime and that kind of thing, and it really had a detrimental impact on law enforcement agencies around Colorado.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk.
Speaker 5: About what their qualified immunity did first, because I think a lot of people don't understand. They do know, like people understand, you can't sue government, right because government has always assumed to act in our best interest even when.
Speaker 6: They're clearly not.
Speaker 5: So I can't sue government because they have what's called qualified immunity, which means they don't get sued because they're expected to do the right thing. For US cops had the same kinds of protections. What changed in that crit bill?
Speaker 10: So basically what changes It stripped that qualified immunity from police officers. You know, as I said, they're making really tough decisions out in the field in real time and reacting to dynamic situations that are really dictated by a criminal behavior, and by removing qualified immunity, it just puts them personally liable for any decisions they made, which is a new thing in Colorado that had never been taken away before.
Speaker 8: Legislators, by the way, have immunity for the.
Speaker 10: Bills that they pass because they're also weighing really tough things and they have to say some things maybe that they wouldn't say otherwise, or do things they wouldn't do otherwise, and so they're also immune from lawsuits. We don't see legislators getting sued for bad bills, even though maybe we should.
Speaker 8: Take that away.
Speaker 5: Amen, I would be in favor of that. So how has this affected the actual policing? What are the real world impacts of this qualified immunity situation.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so there was a couple of real world impacts.
Speaker 10: I think one can't discount the idea that this had a psychological impact on law enforcement. This was legislation designed to be very punitive towards law enforcement officers all over the state of Colorado. So just from a psychological standpoint, when the tough work you're doing isn't being appreciated by those passing laws, it makes it tough to do the job, makes it tough to wake up every morning, put on the uniform and go out and fight crime. And then on a separate, more real world basis, you know, it really affected recruiting and retention, and so we saw people that were close to retirement age they might retire early or you know, get out as soon as they possibly can, and then the recruiting effort was really difficult. And so law enforcement has had a real fight really since that bill was passed to recruit and properly fully staff their police departments. So down here in Colorado Springs, we've got the second biggest city in the state of Colorado, and our police department is severely understaffed and.
Speaker 8: It struggles all the time to get even.
Speaker 10: Close to something that what we actually need down and it's the same all over the state.
Speaker 5: I want to share with you an email from a former law enforcement officer here in Colorado who has since left the state, and he said, I have so much to say on this. First, it's not really the pay up to twenty five K, because that was always the case. When you were found to be acting outside the color of authority, you can be held viable and no immunity applies. One of the most chilling parts of the reforms was the form you have to fill out after every contact. It consists of why contact, race, outcome, forced use, and who initiated the contact. An extra fifteen minutes if there's only one person in the contact, add more time for more people. It is one of the huge reasons why cops don't do traffic stops. And this may shock you when it came out, it was so gray as to was what it was used for and.
Speaker 6: When you needed to fill it out.
Speaker 5: According to the Democrat pass law, just another pain in the ass and a tool which can selectively be used to show racism depending on how you pull the data. So there's I think for people who are not in law enforcement, and generally speaking, I hate it when legislators legislate anything that they don't know anything about. And let's be real, they don't know anything about most stuff, right, They just don't.
Speaker 6: They have their very individual siloed views.
Speaker 5: What I've always found fascinating, Michael, is when you see news stories where you have a community activist who then goes through the point and shoot training that the cops have to go through, the split second training, and they come out on the other.
Speaker 6: Side and go, holy crap. That was a lot different than I thought.
Speaker 5: What was going on? What can we do in Colorado to either help legislators or help regular people understand these life and death decisions that are made instantaneously every single day.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think if we can ever figure that out, we'd be onto something. It's a tough thing.
Speaker 10: Voters, unfortunately, are so distracted by so many different things, and I think that's ultimately what it comes down to, is that elections do have consequences when we're allowing people to get elected into the state legislature that have maybe an acts to grind against law enforcement. Yeah, the thing that we get and we shouldn't be surprised when we get the government we deserve when we're so distracted as a community.
Speaker 5: So what do we do with this bill and how would that make an impact? I don't see this legislature made up controlled by Democrats, is a zero percent chance they're going to roll back this qualified immunity change.
Speaker 6: So what could we do? What could be possible?
Speaker 10: Well, I think you asked Paul this the other day on the radio too, about if he could undo one legislative change over the last several years with the criminal Justice reform.
Speaker 8: What would that be.
Speaker 10: The problem is, there's been so many that are so detrimental to public safety that it's hard to pick just one. I think the Senate built two seventeen from twenty twenty would be a really good one to just completely undo. It's led to less police on the streets, and that means fewer crimes being solved. And then as you all were talking about on Tuesday, is more repeat offenders. They're just out on the street and they have a proclivity to commit crime, and they're doing that because they can.
Speaker 5: I'm want to ask you another question that isn't directly related to the qualified immunity story, But we've just had a story where we have a guy who's been arrested for attempted murder after allegedly shooting someone on two two five, and he is an illegal immigrant from Honduras. He was deported three times, and I don't even know how the Aurora ped was able to loop in Homeland Security to get this guy off the streets. Finally, but we're in a state where democrats are increasingly protecting people.
Speaker 6: Like this, this is what's going on.
Speaker 5: How has the the banning of any cooperation between your office or any law enforcement agency and ICE affected you in the fourth Judicial District?
Speaker 10: Well, I think it's I can actually point to even across the little state of Colorado law enforcement. You know, our local law enforcement agencies, whether it's a sheriff's office or a police department, they're really nervous about working with ICE on anything or any federal agency for that matter, that might have some tangential connection to immigration. So if we have a drug distribution investigation and it is involving cartel activity, that means somehow that the federal government is involved in investigating these people because it's a transnational drug distribution organization, which means that immigration potentially is at play in any sort of convictions that you might get in the case like that.
Speaker 8: And I've had police officers locally tell me that they're nervous.
Speaker 10: About working on those types of cases because we've had our Attorney General suing law enforcement officers across the state of Colorado.
Speaker 8: We've obviously got the law that says you're not allowed.
Speaker 10: To do that, although there is a caveat in that law that says if you are working on an active criminal investigation, you can still cooperate on that criminal investigation.
Speaker 8: But when you've got an.
Speaker 10: Attorney general that's actively going after people, it makes them nervous about working on these cases.
Speaker 5: In a general sense, my frustration with this entire thing is that imagine, just imagine if Colorado said to the federal government, we'd love your help in getting these people that are violent criminals, like this guy from Honduras.
Speaker 6: Out of our state.
Speaker 5: We'd love to cooperate with you to get these violent criminals who already have a deportation order, maybe been deported three more times.
Speaker 6: We'd love to work with you.
Speaker 5: At least from that perspective, a collaboration could actually get something done. A collaboration could actually get this guy, maybe permanently, out of the country. Although I have no reason to think he won't just come back because there's no penalty to be paid, right if you just keep coming back, Apparently all they do is keep sending you out again.
Speaker 6: I just it's insane. How is there any way.
Speaker 5: For your office to and you just kind of explained how to navigate this whole thing. But I mean, what I want, and I'm never going to get it, is for everyone outside state government to just say we're not following this bad law. It's a bad law, and we're not following it. I realize that won't happen, but it seems to me we have ample ammunition rhetorical to make the case that we are actually harming Colorado citizens by not doing that. So I mean, can you make that argument in any compelling way to anyone who will listen.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I think that's a hard thing to actually put in the practice, because you know, as an executive branch member that's what I am as a prosecutor, the police are executive branch. We take a notae to support the constitution of the State of Colorado, the laws of the State of Colorado. It's hard to start picking and choosing, and you know, you could get a scenario potentially where maybe a far left leaning person gets elected to a position like this and they start ignoring other laws that we think are important on violent.
Speaker 8: Crime, for instance. I think that's a slippery slope to go down.
Speaker 10: The I think for me, the better avenue is bring attention to it, and let's try to get some advances in the legislature so we can get more seats and maybe stop some of this, and then as we build momentum, maybe start on doing some of the nonsense.
Speaker 8: Thee A.
Speaker 5: Michael Allen from the fourth Judicial District, Thanks so much for your time today, Mike, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 6: All right, that is good information.
Speaker 5: A couple of people are asking the bill was inspired by the homicide of Elijah McClain by police.
Speaker 6: I'm sure you know the story.
Speaker 5: How can we prevent that from happening without holding police responsible. It's not about not holding them responsible. You remember there were trials in the Elijah McCain McClain case. The Elijah McClain case was absolutely horrible. It was unnecessary. It was something that occurred because we had paramedics that were given a new tool without enough training or information about how to use it. It was just this confluence of bad decisions, none of them made maliciously, and that's the problem.
Speaker 6: That's the difference here.
Speaker 5: I don't think any of those people that were involved in the Elijah McClain thing had anything any beef with Elijah McClain. I think that they just made a catastrophic series of errors that led to that poor man's death, and qualified im prevents any criminal from just call like suing a cop who arrests them, so cops are so held accountable in the criminal system. Okay, this is about civil responsibility, and it's just I hate it when legislators are making laws about things that they have no absolutely no knowledge about. I would love it if before they did that, legislators on mass decided to do ride alongs with police officers or did the point and shoot kind of activities that are so good at making people understand what they don't understand.
Speaker 6: So I don't know, we'll see.
Speaker 5: I got a bunch of other stuff on the blog today that is really really interesting. I mentioned a couple days ago that I was investing in small modular reactor technology, the nuclear technology, and I am not giving you investment advice. I want to be very very clear, do not use this as investment advice. But I've got a substat column on the blog today about small modular reactors, and more importantly, the bigger column is about how we're going to power our future because we have, you know, we have the normal needs that we're gonna have like you and I and the power we use in business and industry, AI and data centers that run AI are changing the game because they suck up so much energy and our current grid cannot support it, our current means of production cannot support it. And from where I'm sitting, small modular reactors is how we're going to be able.
Speaker 6: To support it.
Speaker 5: So there's a really good column that does a really good job on that, and it's kind of why I'm invested. I actually talked to my financial advisor today and I was telling her about my little gamble. You know, I have like I have like reasonable investments where I have mutual funds and stuff like that. But then I told Chuck maybe three months ago. I was like, Okay, Chuck, I'm taking five hundred bucks and I am in buying stock in this company because I think this is a thing for the future and I'm not going to spend a lot of money. But I have to understand I could be wrong and I could lose every single dollar. And he was like, do what, Dish, Just do it, Just go ahead. So I was talking to my financial advisor today and I was like, Okay, I've gone down this rabbit hole and I've read all this stuff and she's like, well, you know, your thinking is good, so we'll see what happens. It is not a short term investment, just to let you know this is not a run it up and then no, this is a long term investment situation because they're years away from any sort of profitability. They just are. So that is on the blog today as well. There is a story from The Babylon Bee. They do a podcast every week that is very, very funny for not the Bee. And you guys have to see when when I hear school board candidates saying, we don't really need to worry about boys and girls' sports because it's not happening here. It's not happening here yet. But you have got to see this story because it is hilarious. There's a dude who decided he wanted to swim as a woman. You look at this dude's picture.
Speaker 6: He is a dude, Okay, dude.
Speaker 5: The only thing that looks remotely feminine about him is he is swimming with.
Speaker 6: Lipstick on, because really that's all it takes.
Speaker 5: I mean, right now, I don't have any lipstick on because I'm working from home and I'm in my basement and I don't feel good. Obviously not a woman. Wait stop, I have some lipstick right here on my desk. I'll put it on. Oh wait, now I'm a woman. The absurdity, the absurdity of it all, Mandy, How does one get involved in investing in reactors? I use an app called public dot com to do my little penny stock buying right now today it's thirty seven dollars. The company that I'm invested in. I bought it at thirty six. It's gone up to forty eight, it's come back down to thirty seven. I don't care. I think they've got a good thing going. It's called New Scale. But do not buy that because I told you to buy it. I'm not telling you to buy it, not telling you to buy it at all. Grant has joined us for what's sure to be a very SUCs well session of the most exciting segment on the radio on its.
Speaker 6: Gy in the world of the.
Speaker 5: Day now because Grant is at the studio and I am not because I'm sick. First of all, your thank you are You're welcome Grant for me not bringing my sickness in what the Democrats get my dang old husband gave it to me anyway, What is our dad joke of the day. Please.
Speaker 4: It's easy to convince ladies not to eat tide pods, but harder to deter gents.
Speaker 7: Oh, burgers love that one.
Speaker 6: That is fantastic.
Speaker 7: Word of the day is a verb.
Speaker 6: It is snarfnarf.
Speaker 5: No, but it's an exclamation from from a cartoon snarf.
Speaker 10: It.
Speaker 6: I don't know what it means. It's just an exclamation right.
Speaker 7: To eat quickly and voraciously.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, there you go.
Speaker 5: By the way, the ticker number for for that stock that I'm not telling you to buy. Okay, s m R Small Modular Reactor. But that's not the company's name. Okay. What is the adjective erinaceous mean e r i N a satious nation.
Speaker 2: Lawn.
Speaker 4: Oh that's actually you're really good at making airs.
Speaker 5: Except it's e r i N.
Speaker 6: Right, Well, it's hedgelog hedgehog.
Speaker 5: Like if someone reminds you of a hedgehog, whether whether in their physical appearance or their prickly personality, you might describe them as erinaceous.
Speaker 6: For instance, porn star Ron Jeremy is ernaceous.
Speaker 7: Benjamin, Oh no, he's not.
Speaker 5: No, no, what's our Jeopardy category?
Speaker 2: Grant?
Speaker 5: Are you preparedness like not answer until the end of the question.
Speaker 7: Yes, Well, I'm I'm trying to win. I'm gonna try something different here today.
Speaker 4: I'm going to give you guys two options for categories, and if it's a tile to I'll.
Speaker 7: Break the tiles. See if you guys both agree which one you want to do?
Speaker 4: Do you either get to choose between please bear with me or let's play cards?
Speaker 7: Mandy, what do you think?
Speaker 5: I of course would go please bear with me because it's a numbers category and I'm not good at cards, so I would like, please bear with.
Speaker 8: Let's do it.
Speaker 7: She said she's not good at cards grants. Are you good at cards?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 7: Okay, then let's category bear with me.
Speaker 4: A February twenty twenty three headline said, this movie about one seriously hopped up bear Gran Grant.
Speaker 7: What is cocaine bearg Have you either of you seen it?
Speaker 4: Is it good?
Speaker 7: I would never seen it?
Speaker 6: No, but it looks funny. I've heard it's very funny.
Speaker 7: Actually, Waka waka to voice this mummy Fanny?
Speaker 5: What is Fazzy Bear?
Speaker 7: That is correct?
Speaker 4: Movie within a movie time in the Unbearable Weight of massive talent. Nick Cage and Pedro Pascal swoon over this brit based bear two.
Speaker 7: So the second grand Grant? No, I don't know, Oh.
Speaker 6: Manny, what is Grant?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 7: You're out there, rand No, go for it.
Speaker 6: That would be what is Paddington?
Speaker 7: That is correct? What a great movie that is that?
Speaker 6: Are you talking about Paddington?
Speaker 7: About the Unbearable Weight?
Speaker 6: I got to tell you that movie is so underrated.
Speaker 5: I love that movie.
Speaker 7: What I love that too? Is also great?
Speaker 6: All the Paddington movies are adorable.
Speaker 2: From Darcas Peru.
Speaker 6: Anyway, go ahead.
Speaker 4: This man as Jackie Moon after a stint grant.
Speaker 7: Who is will Ferrell?
Speaker 5: Correct?
Speaker 7: Oh, let's score?
Speaker 6: It is two to one?
Speaker 7: Who is the two? Grant? I do you have two as well?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: You lost one?
Speaker 8: You us?
Speaker 7: You said your name?
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Bill Harris provided the bare necessities as this character in nineteen sixty seven's The Jungle Book.
Speaker 7: Grant Grant? What is? Oh? No Bulu? Yeah, so we're.
Speaker 4: Going to go to the let's play card. Okay, here we go in a dish to two regular decks of fifty two cards. The game of Canasta uses four of these as wild cards, Grant, Grant, what is a joker?
Speaker 5: That is correct?
Speaker 7: What a comeback?
Speaker 5: Excellent game? What are you bow Nicks?
Speaker 10: You?
Speaker 8: What do you do right?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 6: You're down and now you're back? All right, don't say it for the.
Speaker 7: Whole game, Grant, not just in the fourth.
Speaker 6: Come on, Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: We've got Heaway Sports coming up next. We'll be back on Monday. I hope I'm well by then.
Speaker 7: I'm sure it will be.
Speaker 5: I will.
Speaker 6: I'm strong like bull.
Speaker 5: It's fine Catawaite Sports taking over.
Speaker 6: Now, have a great weekend, guys,