Speaker 1: It's nice size. We did Ray and Undoing and Mazy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much, Al Griffin. Yet five areas ever, is tough to win a game. Tough tough to win a game. But hey, tomorrow's another day. It's still early. It's as simple as that. It's still early. Okay, we have reached the twentieth hour, and I think everybody who listens to Night's I knows it. In the twentieth hour, we try to lighten things up a little bit, get you to the weekend with some positive phone calls, and so we will do brushes with celebrity tonight. Haven't done it in about three months. It happens to be my favorite topic. I came up with the topic many many years ago. I'm quite proud of it, and I'm quite proud of some of the callers that we have who have met some very interesting people under different circumstances. Sometimes that met him outside of baseball park, sometimes that met him on the streets, sometimes they've been on an airplane. I want to know the most interesting person and the most interesting celebrity that you have met, and also whether or not they treated you well. So we call that the good the bad and the ugly. I mean, if someone who had some celebrity was gracious and kind, that's great. If they were a jerk, you could tell us they were a jerk, simple as that. So suffice it to say, we will open up the phone lines as always six one seven, two, five, four ten thirty, six one seven nine three one ten thirty. And by the way, the celebrity that you met doesn't have to be the Queen of England. I mean all of us in our lives have bumped into someone who was a celebrity. It might be a local athlete, it might be an actor, it could be a singer. Sometimes it's a politician. And what was your experience? That's the it's it's just I think it's a great topic. We have two lines six one seven, two, five, four ten thirty and six one seven nine three one ten thirty. As we line up our phone calls. What I would like to do, as I often do, is there's one to kind of review the week a little bit as quickly as I can. Here we started off on Monday night at eight o'clock talking with Matt Brown, a young guy from Nowood, Massachusetts who was paralyzed in a hockey accident back when he was only fifteen years old. He's written a book called Line Change, which is a great book for any young person to read. Matt Brown now runs the Matt Brown Foundation and it is a wonderful foundation. He will be in the marathon. He'll have a team in the marathon. I think he's now been involved in five marathons, so feel free to check out that book, Line Change. We talked about workplace bullying. We talked with Bob Monroe, the chair of the Conquered two hundred and fifty Executive Committee. Big two hundred and fiftieth anniversary coming up on this April twenty April April nineteenth. The day will be celebrated on the twenty first, but the actual two hundred and fiftieth anniversary is on April nineteenth. The Battle of Concord and then Lexington. We talked about workplace in civility. We spent an hour on Monday night talking about the disclosures from Red Sox Center Field, Red Sox left Field to Jared Durant, who had admitted in a documentary that he had contemplated suicide. Spent a couple of hours talking about Big Drop of the market on Monday. We spent two hours doing that. On Tuesday night, talked about the TikTok deadline being extended, a book by Jonathan Horn about the fate of the Generals, Douglas MacArthur and Jonathan Mayhew Wainwright. Very interesting. Talk with doctor Martin Dibbs about a surgical robot assisting in a liver transplant. And talked with Michael Arkush about the Golf one hundred. I had a lot of fun with that. If you're a golfer, that's a book you might want to think about. Nine NPM on Tuesday night, we talked about a story that was in the Globe today. Beth Ttell talked about checking in with people on the Karen Read case, people who had strong feelings a year or so ago when that decision came down, and whether or not people had changed their minds in their thoughts on that case. Talk with Jason Kelly about the bankruptcy of the site twenty three in Me and how you can get all of your information back from twenty three in Me as it goes into bankruptcy. That is a a company that people sent their DNA voluntarily to find out their Ancestry non ancestry dot com twenty three in me. The market was down on Tuesday, so we had another hour about the market being down big on Tuesday at eleven on Wednesday night, talked about tariffs and cars with John Vincent of US News and World Report. Talked with a Globe correspondent Adelaide Parker about Boston's first pod hotel. Talk with sale the Mayor Dominic Pengalo about Salem four hundred and talked with Doug Canter about credit card costs they're going up. Talk with Ed Flynn he wants more ethics amongst the Boston City Council. That of the day that it was announced that Tanya Fernandez Anderson has been indicted for a federal corruption charges. Talk with Jared Dillion about President Trump's decision at Delay Tactics. That was the day the stock market went up. We talked about that at eleven o'clock last night. Talked with Cheryl Lang about the Stepping Strong Center, which came out of the tragedy of the Boston Marathon. Talk with l Ellis Les I should say ls Nazemy about the foundation to be named later. Talked with Ed Grokowski about take a child, the work day and beyond coming up later this month. And talked about with Dennis Holland about the Great Detachment. We may talk to him again. Talked about that Canton train truck collision. That will be the story that we will highlight on Sunday night at eleven o'clock and we run the best of nights. There were a lot of great calls in that hour. Talked last night with Tatsu Ikeda about his newsletter which is on substack, and we had his take on the market and he was a really great guest. And we talked last night at eleven about the reaction to the stock market drop on Thursday. So there were three days that dropped and then two days including today that it bounced back up. Early this evening. Talked with the dean of the medical School at the University of Michigan, doctor Marshall Unki. We will have him back. Talk with Colt Stevens about that Monster Jam going on tomorrow at Chillette Stadium you can check it out. And talk with Chris Porter about Lowellstown and City Festival that's coming up not this weekend but next weekend. And talk with doctor Farmi Faua about Skippy Meals. She's a cardiologist can make people more susceptible to heart attacks. And talked for an hour with Chris Muse. I'm a Superior Court judge who was the lawyer who, along with his dad, Bob Muse, freed It took a herculean effort to free Bobby joe Leister. Also former Springfield mayor Mike Albano who was on the Governor's Council who voted the commutation for Bobby joe Leister. Justice under God. That's a great book if you're a lawyer, if you ever thought about being a lawyer, or if you just want to understand how Bobby joe Leister was unjustly incarcerated for fifteen years for murder he didn't commit, and how he then came out and spent thirty years helping people in the inner city. It was a great article. And talked last hour with Mark Filman about from Charlie Allen Renovations of Cambridge. He's a design build contractor. So that's been the week. Hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have. Now we're going to go to brushes with celebrity and we're going to start it off with Joe and Belmont. Joe, you did get to call back? Everybody gets a hall pa here in the eleven o'clock hour on Friday night. Who's your Brushwood celebrity?
Speaker 3: Joe Danzi Man. If he can't do it, no one can. The Irish singer, uh, Brendan Boyer was called Island's Elvis Presley. He bought me drink? He did? He bought you a drink at the Statust Hotel in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: Well, good for you, Joe. That sounds like a great experience and he treated you well. Now is he a singer? Is he? The Irish singer that I know is John McCormick, who's a great Irish tenor. Is that what this guy is as well?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Well, he was one of Ireland's famous rock and roll singers. I guess he did a lot of Elvis stuff in Irish songs.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you Irish songs that l elve is near to my heart. And his last name is Boyer.
Speaker 3: Did you say he is Brendan Boyer? B O y e R b o y e A right.
Speaker 2: It's like the Great Baseball family. Ken and Cleet Boyard, a couple of third Basement, one with the Cardinals, one with the Yankees. Joe, you got us off to a nice strong start. Thank you much as always appreciated, Joe.
Speaker 5: Talk soon, my pleasure.
Speaker 2: Dan, right back at you, Joe. We'll take a quick break. Coming right back on Nightside. More brushes with Celebrity. The only line is six, one, seven, two, ten thirty. I want to hear who you met during your life doesn't have to be recent. It could be twenty years ago, it could be thirty years ago, or it could be yesterday. Your brush with celebrity and how did they treat you? We call it the good, the bad, and the ugly. Obviously, Joe had a nice meeting with an Irish singer, Brendan Boyer in Vegas. That sounds like fun. Back on Nightside. Right after this, it's night Side with.
Speaker 1: Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Greg in Ontario. Hey, Greg, welcome back. Who's your brush with celebrity? Greg?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I had a handful of them, but the most the ones that stand out in my mind are Dicky Betts and Dan Toller of the album Brothers Band.
Speaker 2: I haven't realize Yeah right, yeah, they were huge.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my brother lives down in Florida, and he became friends with Kim Betts, which is Dicky Dicky's daughter. And in twenty fourteen, I got a phone call from my brother and I got my huge Alvin Brother's fan and so it was my brother and he said, you got to get down her, bro because I've been invited to Dickie's annual friends and family barbecue. Yeah, Spirit Ranch down in Sarasota, Florida. So so I get down there and go and I bring my guitar and we go there. He put a great spread on was all for charity. And the beautiful thing about this Dan it was I lived my dream. After Dicky Betts and his band played, which is great Southern, you can get up on stage and anybody who played an instrument you could jam out. So I got on stage with Dickey Bats and we were just jamming up with a couple other guys that were you know, we're guests as well, and it was unbelievable to saw my guitars and showed me how to play my favorite song, which is Jessica by the Olmn Brothers.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm telling you, Greg, that sounds like a great time. How long ago was this did you say what year was this?
Speaker 6: This is a back twenty fourteen.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll say that's a memory, memory of a lifetime. I'm jealous. I'm not a musical guy, but I know who the Allman Brothers are were and great, great, great band, No doubt Greg is always I thank you much. I figured you're going to tell me a hockey player living up in Ontario.
Speaker 6: Well, actually I played with Timmy Kerr in the seventies. He was my friend, childhood friend. He played for the Philly Flyers for about I get to about ten eleven years and so yeah, I guess I played minor hockey with him up here, Triple A Hawk, and then he got drafted, Uh you know, way back in late seventies, early eighties.
Speaker 2: So he had eleven years with the fly He had eleven years with the Flyers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he had three fifty goal seasons and he almost broke h He almost went ahead of Gretzky one year for goals.
Speaker 2: I think it was give me his give me his name again.
Speaker 6: What's the name names Tim Kerr t I M K E r R.
Speaker 2: All right, Well you know that one I missed. Flyers were a tough team. Uh, boy, I had to be honest with you. I ripped hockey players, but he was. Yeah he's right there, right there. Uh, pretty pretty good sized guy six three and a winger, and yeah, you got him right here. He had a good career. He was the eighties and wrapped up with the Rangers and the Whalers. That's three hundred How many goals you get here? Am I reading this right? Three hundred and seventy goals? Not bad? Whoa good one?
Speaker 7: That's ignition.
Speaker 6: But you know, I remember back in the day we were playing actually we were playing for the Old MAHA championship here in Ontario. I'm going back to nineteen seventy six, and he was our ringer on our team. I mean in Mitchell hockey. The guy would score from the redline. I kid you not. And so like, right in the middle of the Old maj playoffs, like we're on the road to win the championship. We ended up pointing it. But the Kingston Canadians, which is the Ohl club up here at Junior Club, they came and shouted him and they took him from us that year. And I'm like, oh my god, you guys can't do that. You're killing us here.
Speaker 2: But tell you what he had. He had four fifty plus goal seasons from eighty three and eighty four through the eighty six eighty seven season. Fifty four, fifty four, fifty eight, and fifty eight. That's pretty consistent. Whoa a good player? Yeah, good player, Hey, Greg, thank you much. That's a great and thank you so much. Two of them, two of them. Doctor you soon keep rolling. He You're going to go to Kenon Leminster Kenyon next on Night's side, you're Brushwood celebrity.
Speaker 8: Dan, you got to give me about three minutes to set up this thing, because what happened and the way it happened is just as good as who I met. Okay, December third, nineteen seventy two. The only time I've seen a Patriots game, I was eleven years old. It was it back to the old Shafer Stadium.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, when the luminum seats, Yeah, luminum seats, I remember those, Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 8: They're just this leechers and I'm eleven years old. It's the Dolphins undefeated season, and of course the Patriots lost to the Dolphins that day necessarily, but if you remember the old Shaffer Stadium with the parking too, oh yes, my Dad, me and my cousin David, and we can't find a parking area. We down Route was it root one?
Speaker 2: Root one always was, always is always shall be.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So we're down like a mile and a half down Route one, praying for a parking space. There's this little gas station, a Texico station on the left. It says Rico Petrocelli Texaco, and so we now baseball dan to me back when I was eleven, that was that was the be all and end all. I played shortstop in Little league. And so we pull in there, and you know, I got to go to the bathroom so bad that I says, guys, can I just go into the bathroom real quick? And my father jokes, he says, maybe you'll meet Rico Petrocelli because it's Rico petrocell tex obviously owns it. So I go in there and who is standing there and a three piece suit looking over the books? But Rico Petrocelli, now dummy, and me right, I'm so starstruck that I go to the bathroom with my mouth slack jawed, and I go in, I come out. I'm like a zombie. I wandered back to the car and my dad jokes. He says, was Rico in there?
Speaker 2: And I says he was?
Speaker 8: And of course they thought I was kidding. I said, no, he was.
Speaker 7: He says, did you talk to him?
Speaker 8: He got his autograph? And I says no. My mon says, you idiot. We all get out of the car and we go in there and my father introduces me to Rico Petrocelli and I shake it. Rico didn't say a word, he just smiled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good guy though. Rico's great, great.
Speaker 8: Guy, and like my dad's like he plays short stuff too. You know you're his hero, YadA, yeah, yaha.
Speaker 2: And so you know how many how many kids have told how many dads have told Rico Petrocelli the kid played shortstop? Absolutely number six.
Speaker 8: Rico just takes out a piece of paper out of the death he signs, He signs his autograph, hands it to me, smiles, shakes my hand again, and off to the game.
Speaker 3: We went.
Speaker 2: Great, great, great story, great story. Ken. You did it in about two minutes and fifty three seconds, perfect perfect timing. Thanks Beal, we'll talk sooner. Great one. Uh, next time I see Rego, I'm going to mention this story to him and see if you remember show. Okay, I promise, good ahead, Okay, goodbye. Let's keep rolling here, Let's keep rolling six one, seven, two, five four ten thirty six one seven, nine three ten thirty George in Westbridgewater. George, you're brush with celebrity. Who would that be? George?
Speaker 10: Well, the time of my life was. I spent sixty years as a professional clown and magician. And I traveled to New York City to buy magic one day and the owner of the magic studio says, boy, am I glad to see you. He says, I got somebody in the other room that you've got to come in and teach him to do some magic. Yeah, the bests in New England, he says, come on in. So I walked into this room totally blind to who is going to be there, and the guy goes, hey, camp. I brought in the best clown magician I could find, the teacher to do some magic, and he turned around his muhammad a lead.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 10: He shook hands and his hands swallowed mine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he had the hand like you wouldn't believe. I said, boy, with hands like that, we can disappear anything. And we spent I spent six hours going over children's magic with him. Not many people mill it, but he was a great philanthropist. He used to take kids from Hollam to his training camp and he'd give them a free summer of camping, food, clothing, everything, and he would go there about once a week or once a month or whenever he could and do magic for them.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 10: And so that's why he wanted to learn magic. And when he got through, when he got through doing the magic and so forth, he said, what do you want picked anything in the store of yours And I said no, I said, the only thing I want is an autograph. So he signed to one of the magic catalogs for me, and on the front of the catalog was a picture of zig Freed and Roy. And the next year I was in Vegas and I took that with me and I asked the girl to take it out to zig Freed and Roy and asked them if did signed the autograph on the other side of the page, and she'd come back and she gave me back the money, and she says, you can't do that, and I said, oh, they wouldn't take it. No, No, you got to come backstage, and they want you to come and tell them how you got uh Muhammad Ali's autograph on the other page. Whoa I got to sit in the dressing room with zig Freed and Roy and one of the big cats and explain how I gave me who whoa.
Speaker 2: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa whoa. Were you saying one of the big cats were in the dressing room with you?
Speaker 10: Yes, yes they had. One of the cats was their pet, and it was de Claude.
Speaker 2: He was would give claud Did it have any teeth? Oh? Yes, But oh, George, George, you're a brave man. I would have gone in there unless they had Muhammad Ali with me as a bodyguard.
Speaker 10: When you got the time, I'll tell you the story about the Unpaided Lion Act that I used to perform with.
Speaker 2: Okay, George, next time, that's a good one. I met Ali in an elevator in New Orleans during the nineteen eighty eight Republican Convention. He went there. He was a friend of believe it or not, Utah Senator Frank Hatch. Got on the elevator, I was holding my year and a half old son in my arms. It was just Muhammed, you know, the champ myself and my son for a few floors, and of course I knew exactly who he was. Introduced myself and he was getting on in his you know, he would have been dealing, slowing down a little bit. I did a little shadow boxing with Daniel, my son Daniel, and you know, of course he's very gentle and you know he's jabbing away a little bit. Really nice guy. So every time I tell my son, do you remember when you shadow box with Muhammad Ali? He looks at me like I'm crazy. A lot of people do that to me. George. We'll talk soon, buddy, have a great weekend. That fabulous story, fabulous story. We'll be back on Night's Side. Only line is six one, seven nine.
Speaker 1: And you're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're gonna pick up the pace a little bit. Your brush with celebrity Diane is in Berricka. Diane. Who was it that you met and what were the circumstances?
Speaker 9: Oh boy, I could be on this show for four hours with all the people I met.
Speaker 2: Oh I know who this is. You have done nothing but meet celebrities. Give me your give me your top three in the last year. Okay, let's let's narrow it down.
Speaker 9: Diane, go ahead, Okay, Bob crafts Okay. Golf and Mike Tyson.
Speaker 2: Where you meet Tyson?
Speaker 9: He was at the Patriots game in Miami with a son.
Speaker 2: Mike Tyson. How did Tyson treat you?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 11: He was nice.
Speaker 9: It's like he stops the pitches and you know he you know, he was going through the tunnel to get in. You know, because I was on the field, I get to go to the warm up in Miami, so he, you know, wanted to get in the tunnel. I think, you know, to go talk to the players because they it was like towards the end. But the funny thing that happened this year, I took my eight year old grandson. So he's obsessed with Tyreek Hill. So because we were there with the Patriots, I told him, please don't put on the jersey until, you know, maybe the game starts. Well, an hour after being on the field, he put on the Tyreek jersey. Well, just as he did that, bought Craft comes out and I don't know why he thinks he knows me, but he comes over, gives me a hug, and then he fist bumped like a lot of people that were there. So then my grandson was standing in there with his fist up and so I said to him, oh, this is my grandson Payton. And he looked them up and down and he kept walking, and so my grandson yelled to him and he goes, you're gonna read me hanging Bob, and everybody started laughing. He because he was living a Dolphin jersey. He wouldn't pay absolutely.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like you got to come dressed properly.
Speaker 9: Yeah, eight years old, and he knows he had the Brady jersey on before, you know, like.
Speaker 2: You, Bob Kraft is the Patriots older he I'm sure he felt a little disrespected. Well, Scott Zolac is a good guy too. Zolac is one of the real good guys in the business.
Speaker 3: So uh oh.
Speaker 9: I met Mike Tyson in the hotel and he turns around to me and he goes, aren't you Diane. And my grandson's like, how do you know football players.
Speaker 2: Do what you tell him? What you tell him?
Speaker 9: I said, well, you know, I've been working there for twenty five years, so of course I know them.
Speaker 2: You bet you, you bet you great.
Speaker 9: I loved David ninety four. You know he got like eleven autographs, like all the players were so nice.
Speaker 2: Dam But you know, Diane, you and I could do brushes with celebrity every night for the next year and you could come up with it.
Speaker 9: But people don't know my friend Diane.
Speaker 2: By Diane has worked a lot of the events around the country. That is how she makes her living, moving from rock concerts to two big events of all all types and sizes. Diane, I got packed lines, so I got to let get go.
Speaker 9: But now I know that I thought you would like that, and I wanted to say.
Speaker 2: Hi absolutely and say hi to Peyton for us. Okay, thanks so much. I will talk to you soon. Let's keep rowling here. Going to David in Watertown. David, you were next on Nightside. I always good to hear from Watertown. Who's your brush with celebrity? David?
Speaker 12: Oh, Dan, I'm a long time, first time caller.
Speaker 2: This is your first time when we got at the studio, audience and stop giving you a standing ovation.
Speaker 12: I've been listening to you since you started, and I just wanted to tell you that my family met you around nineteen ninety five when you were reporting for Bus there was a hurricane coming in in Falm at the Tides Motel and we were staying there. Yeah, and you interviewed my daughter at the time. She was eleven years old, and I just wanted to tell you she is now a sister with Malarauga.
Speaker 2: No, I know, Mother Olga. I know you do.
Speaker 12: That's why I called you.
Speaker 2: Oh what a great story. So she's down at the convent and I assumed the confident in Quinsy.
Speaker 12: They're in Quincy now, yeah, oh, I know, well, and it was ironic that you met her when she was eleven, and I know that you know Mologa very well.
Speaker 2: Has she told Mother Olga? Has she told Mother Olga that she and I are old friends?
Speaker 12: She probably did, I'm not sure, but he is Sister Elizabeth Francis.
Speaker 2: Well, please say hello to Sister elizabeths Francis from me. Where did she go to school? Because I'm so impressed.
Speaker 12: With Fount Alpernia in Newton, and then she went to Sacred Heart in Connecticut.
Speaker 2: Great great colleges.
Speaker 12: She graduated with her master's from Boston College and before she she just became a nun. She's been there about eleven years. But she just made her final vows two or three years ago.
Speaker 2: Well, let me just take a quick story, David, so you know, and maybe you can pass this on. As you know, there was a period of time where their rectory was next door to our home.
Speaker 12: I know that when she was there, yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and and when they would go away on retreat in the summertime, Mother Olga drafted me to be sort of their caretaker, to make sure that no one bothered the house right. And and then she would say that when you know, when you go in every day to check things around, you would say, you know, please please sit in the chapel and send some some time meditating with Jesus. And I did that every day, oh yeah, and it was well worth it. And Mother Olga was a special person in all of her nuns, the daughters of Mary of Nazareth. They're all very accomplished young women from great colleges. They're intelligent, and they're so dedicated to her. And of course the story Mother Ogre is an extraordinary story. That is amazing, David, that is amazing. I actually remember that story. And I'll tell you why I remember that story. One of the portions of that story, if it's the same story. I found a baseball game going on that on that night in advance of that storm, and there was a baseball team, an amateur baseball team from Australia that was playing on the cape, playing a local, you know, amateur team down in Folmouth. And I remember interviewing some of the Australian players as well as your daughter. So yeah, that probably was the same story, David. That is a great story. Please say how to your daughter for me.
Speaker 12: I'll do that, Dan, please send it A nice talking to you and you do a great job there, and I really enjoy you every unit I listened to you well, David.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. I really hope to meet you someday. I often head over to Watertown to a gym over there, so maybe sometime I'll see you.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: There's a dunkin Donuts right by the gym, and oftentimes as a reward, I stop in there. So if you haven't said yes, I do, yes, I do. You gotta have a reward. Okay, that's right, that's right. Thanks David. What's a wonderful story. I'm happy Happy Easter to you as well, okay, and the blessed Easter. Thank you very much.
Speaker 12: Thank you bye, good night.
Speaker 2: All right. That's it's amazing the people that I have met along the way. Eleven year old girl who now twenty years later she's a Catholic nun. Paul and Nashville, New Hampshire. Paul, you're next on nightside.
Speaker 4: Welcome, Okay. Nineteen sixty eight, when Nixon was armed for president, went down to Rivera College and met him and his wife and his daughter and the press people out there. I went to sea. I don't think an autography said get lost, So I headed to amends room and I walked bumped into Mike Wallace. He got his autograph.
Speaker 2: Mike Wallace was a friend. He and I did a piece on sixty Minutes together on the Salvati case. I really got to know Mike during that story. Wonderful guy. So they wouldn't let you get Nixon's autograph?
Speaker 4: Was that that said get lost?
Speaker 2: You said, Who's whose autograph were you looking for? You missed it?
Speaker 4: Chet Huntley?
Speaker 2: Oh, chet Huntley? Oh so Hutley Hutley blew you off? But Wallace was was nice. Well, isn't that interesting? Okay?
Speaker 4: So the second one was I saw America up in Manchester in nineteen eighty eight and I bumped into Dewey Banal. He's part of America, got his autograph.
Speaker 2: Good for you, Paul, these are good ones. You know, when you guys in New Hampshire, you get to see all the presidential contacts. That's one of the great things about seeing most. Most people could say, oh yeah, I've had President Clinton, President Bush, President Obama. You know at my kitchen table. That's that's retail politics at its best.
Speaker 4: In nineteen seventy four, I was servant most in Alaska and I came up and fifty feet of Harry Reasoner.
Speaker 2: You got, well, you got I think all three networks. Reason was an ABC, Hotly I think was NBC, and Wallace was CBS three, the three big covered. Paul, great, great stories. Thank you so much. Talk to you soon. A great weekend. Let me get one more in here before the break if I can. I'm gonna get Sharon in debt him. Sharon, who's your celebrity you'd like to talk about?
Speaker 9: Hi?
Speaker 6: How are you Dan?
Speaker 2: I'm great, Sharon, Thanks for calling in.
Speaker 13: I'm acres from Stone.
Speaker 9: But do you know.
Speaker 2: My man, let me just say this, My pal Rob wrote dead him, So I gotta throw Rob under the bus here, Sharon from Stonehem. It's a little different side of the city.
Speaker 13: Rob Okay, Hey, if I mentioned the name Ray Mercer, do you know.
Speaker 4: Who that is?
Speaker 2: Ray Mercer? If you mentioned Robbie Mercer, I would have said the New York Yankees, But I should Ray Mercer.
Speaker 13: Give me a Ray Mercer was a boxer and he was in the Olympics and he did phenomenal for us in the Olympics. How about so I'm at him a number of times. How about Mickey Ward?
Speaker 2: Mickey Ward, of course from Lowell. He was a boxer and Lowell great boxer pound for pound absolutely, So you're a boxing So.
Speaker 13: No, I am a national anthem singer and I have sung and they've both been at events that I have sung at. And Mickey Ward actually now when he sees me, he goes, oh, you're the national anthem singer. He won't know my name, but he knows that. But more importantly, more precious to my heart, was I met Michael J.
Speaker 2: Fox. Yeah, Wow, that's a great one one.
Speaker 13: And I met him on the vineyard years ago. Yeah, my daughter's actually connected a number of times. My parents had a place on the vineyard but my daughter was a gymnastics coach and his daughter was during the camp and he's there and Tracy was there, and I was all of a sudden starstruck and I'm like, I'm my god, there's Tracy and.
Speaker 2: Michael is Michael Fox's what Michael j Fox's what?
Speaker 13: Yep yep. And I was like, don't do it, don't do it. Because so they were videoing. Michael was videoing the gymnastics event and his friend was like, hey, Michael, the you know, the shaky thing isn't working, and he took the camera from him and Michael went out into the open area and I followed him. I'm like, don't do it, Sharon, don't do it. And I did and I went out and I'm like, Hi, I just want to tell you I'm so impressed with everything you've done.
Speaker 2: And he said.
Speaker 13: Ye, sorry, and he goes he goes, Hi, I'm Michael, and he just put out his hand and I shook his hand and I said Hi, I'm Sharon. And he just puts everything at ease, and he was the most he is the most wonderful man going through the most horrible disease.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh that's great. You know you know something, Sharon. That's a great Those are three great stories that just looked up Brady Mercer nineteen eighty eight Summer Summer Olympics. Yeah, excellent, Sharon, I got it. Ron, I took you quickly there. I'm sorry about the confusion and Sharon rather stone him and get him. But it's Sharon from Stoneham. Great stories. Thanks so much, Sharon, Thank you great, you too, have a good weekend. Okay, we're gonna take quick break. I got Ron and Weymouth, Christina, Denim and Ron and Newton, and we're gonna get them all in. I promise. Right after this.
Speaker 1: Break, you're on Night Side with Dan Ray on WZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're gonna try to wrap it up here. We're gonna go for we have four callers. Let's get them all in, Ron and Newton. Ron. Who's your celebrity this week? Oh, I got to hit the right button. That's my mistake.
Speaker 5: Ron, you were next on I SI Hi, Dan, a great topic. My celebrity is Jim Lovell from Apaulo thirteen.
Speaker 2: Wow. Boy, that's out of this world.
Speaker 9: I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I have a book right in front of me. He signed. It happened to be at a disaster response conference for a week one conference and a buddy of mine from San Diego said, one morning, Hey, I've got tickets to the annual Hall of Fame induction for the astronauts, and you want to go? I said sure. So we had a breakfast and add some you know, some discussions, they had some some lectures, and then they had a book signing and terrific. Show my hand. I've got his book Apollo thirteen right in front of me.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 2: Now, wow, that's that's that's one for. That's one for. That's one for the family lineage. I'll tell you that's that's got to stay in the family library.
Speaker 5: Okay, Dan, I still get the boarding pass for that flight.
Speaker 2: That's great. I'm like, I'm like you. You you keep it all together. You go back and say that was the plane, that was the book. That's perfect. And maybe you got the ticket to the breakfast as well.
Speaker 5: I probably do.
Speaker 2: Alright, Ron, I gotta run here, I gotta get three more in, buddy. That's a great one. Jim lovel Wow, thanks buddy. Talk soon. Let's go to Christine and Dead and Christine, who's your celebrity this week. I have cool Oh go ahead, gotta be quick, okay, sure the best yep, okay, that's that's the that's from the Willnda family, the high Wire yep.
Speaker 9: Okay, yes, yes, mister Rogers.
Speaker 2: Mister Rogers, okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 9: And Joey McIntyre.
Speaker 2: That's that's getting local. How'd you meet mister Rogers?
Speaker 14: My t TD Teeker was his brother. He came to his house one time. We were at by teacher's house and he said he had brother was going to combine and surprise us.
Speaker 5: And it was Fred Rogers And was his brother living den him was Frock Storry.
Speaker 2: Wow, didn't know that that you can't. That's a tough one to beat. That's a tough one to beat. Christine, thank you very much. That of all. Look Bobby yours the best, no question, will lend up mister Rogers though, that's tough to top. Okay, thanks, thanks Christine. Well I makes up Ron and Weymouth rom again you and at least one more Go ahead.
Speaker 7: Ron, Okay, Mine is more like I met a VAP by telephone. As strange as it seems, that was a cap on his help. After I get out of the Air Force. I worked in North Hollywood. I was ripping out Ero Flynn's old house was up an Appian Way.
Speaker 2: I believe it was h and uh Ern.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Ero Flynn, Ero Flynn's house. And the guy who bought it was the writer Sterling Silopon. So I was working as a coppertain's helper then, and he said they all went out and they said hey. Sterling said to me, if someone calls, just take the message from him because I got to go. So I'm the only one there. So the phone rings, I answered it and he says hello. I said hello. I said hello. He said hello. He says, I hear ancho.
Speaker 6: Who's this?
Speaker 7: He says this the butler. I said no, this is the competent.
Speaker 2: Who's this?
Speaker 7: He says, this is mister Mayor. This is mister Mayor.
Speaker 5: Is Sterling there? I said no. He had to go out.
Speaker 7: He said take the message. He said tell him mister Mayor called about the sixty six job. And I said okay. So Sterling came back in a very nice guy chills and he said any calls. I says, yeah, I'm mister Mayor called about the sixty sixth job or something like that. He says, oh, you mean the route sixty sixth I'm writing, Oh yeah, I'll call him right away. And she said, next time your boss goes down and get some pots down in the downtown. He says, just take one of the jags where the jaguar. So I was able to get a ride in stealing green, beautiful, green light, green Jaguar. I'll never forget that. Talk about a vip ron.
Speaker 2: That's that's the day to remember, buddy. That's a good one. Thank you man. I have a great weekend.
Speaker 7: I never forget that, never forget so funny. You're so gracious, mister mayor MGM.
Speaker 2: Thanks man, talk to you soon. Next up, final one of the night Wolf in Boston. Wolf. Have I ever had your called before? Is this the first time for Wolf?
Speaker 11: This is my first time?
Speaker 2: Got a round of appla for Wolf? Who would it be? Wolf?
Speaker 11: Mentally eighties my treance at the time. She's working at al Touredos Route one in Norwood. Remember the place I've.
Speaker 2: Heard of it? Yes, I don't think I've ever been there, but I know where you mean.
Speaker 11: Go ahead, so anyway you should pickle up round one, she caused me. At eleven, She says, you're not going to believe this. Peter Chris is there from Kiss, right, so I grew up with Kiss. You know, I think i've seen him at twelve years old. Anyway, I go there and people getting autographs. It's not too busy. So when I go up there, he's signed an autograph from me and he points to the goal with him. He said, this is my wife, Lydia. I think he said Lydia. So he signed my autograph and he asked me for my address. But I looked back at Lydia and I said Beth, and she nodded her head to get the reference.
Speaker 2: No, I don't.
Speaker 11: Know, Chiss man, I'm Beth the only number one son Peter Chris Wild. It doesn't matter. But out of twee.
Speaker 2: Oh, I got it, I got it, I got it, I got it all right, all right?
Speaker 11: Well, anyway, he left my girlfriend a real good tip that Christmas. We got a Christmas card from Peter christ.
Speaker 2: Wow. That's a great one, welf. Thanks man. I'm flat out a time. The show's over, but thank you so much. It was a strong one to end on. Talk soon Okay, thanks very much, have a great one. We are done for the night. Done, for the week. I want to thank all the callers, all the listeners want to thank Rob and Marita. Karen helped out this week as well. I will end as always, all dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's my pell Charlie ray Is who passed fifteen years ago in February. That's where your pets are who are pasted. They loved you when you loved them. I do believe you'll see them again. I will be on Facebook night Side with Dan Ray in about two minutes. Join me. There have a little special information for some of my special callers. We will see you Monday night of great weekend. Everyone,