Speaker 1: Welcome to episode five seventy three of five and dive. It is Thursday, August twentieth. I'm your host, joined as usual by Jeffrey pattern Nostro, and it's only slightly less usually at this point by Zach Kreiser. Zach, thank you for being the guest host once again. How's it going.
Speaker 2: It's going well. It's Thursday, so I'm here exactly.
Speaker 1: You're part of the regular rotation at this point. If Jeffrey ever begs off, well I'm not gonna let him. But if he does, we know who to call. Jeffrey. How's it going on your end?
Speaker 3: That's going pretty well. I've been punished, I guess, for complaining about the quality of ads on MLB TV because they like literally, I think a couple of days after we did the whole banter segment with Colin, I'm sitting watching it might have been a Mets game, might have been a different game. I don't remember, and I'm whatever, I'm doing other stuff. I'm half paying attention because it's you know, it's a commercial and I'm like, is that the opening rift to Lette Craze the Septicon? And of course it is, because something else sounds like that, like you can't even really do a soundalike of it. So I look up, I'm like, what the hell is this an ad for? And it's Bush's Baked Beans, And I'm just like, are you like? I hope Kathleen Hannah is getting a good check for this, at least I know she's she's still touring, Like Bikini Kill just did a big tour and they I just got to email about the thirtieth the doing a thirtieth anniversary album, But now we got to get that that beautiful bean money. I guess.
Speaker 1: I don't know what else to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, obviously no one at bushes listening to the lyrics, not that they play the lyrics.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe they did, and that's why they don't play that. You know, it's hard to say. I don't think I have I really have any uh any banter at this.
Speaker 3: Point, I should know. The reason I mentioned I'm getting punished is it now plays every single commercial break. Yes, Liberty, Liberty, I get that commercial break.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we already did. Delibery. I continued to dislike the the personification of liberty is it personification?
Speaker 3: Is it's just like a ball, It's like a qualification, muppetification.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, the digitized muppet.
Speaker 3: Yeah that is you know it's not you know it's not a real puppet. No, they didn't know that's the puppet.
Speaker 1: That's c G.
Speaker 3: I yeah, that's c G.
Speaker 1: I absolutely. Uh, I don't they do need to figure out, like they played these same ads every single time, and I know they've got to have other Well, it wasn't.
Speaker 3: The whole point of selling it to ESPN is that ESPN had more or could sell ads or more interested in selling ads th MLB was.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I think, do.
Speaker 2: You actually watch it on ESPN's problem?
Speaker 1: No, I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, but I think, but I think you still get like ESPN still puts like their ads for ESPN stuff in.
Speaker 1: It for ESPN stuff, but they're not selling ads to other.
Speaker 3: I mean they assume they are still they like, I don't think MLB is still selling ads for.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Maybe they don't think the Google the Google.
Speaker 3: And maybe ESPN just inherited the advertisers.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well my issue isn't even I mean, I don't like a lot of the ads, but my main issue is the volume, uh and the number volume of times of seeing the ad.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean the actual volume. The ads are the volume broadcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, and yes we are just old people complaining, but which it's it's true, it's valid, but we are just old people complaining about this, but it is it. They have to know that someone who's logging into CE like for an MLB TV subscription or the ESPN MLB TV subscription is using it a lot to watch and they just put the same the same three ads. It's the same idea, like March Madness is grading in terms of the number of times you see those ads. But you do understand that it is a lot of inventory, but for a limited time in an event that is gets a massive amount of eyeballs, and so they're just giving the advertiser they charge them, you know, they rake them over the calls on the on the money, but they say, you're you're gonna get a lot of eyeballs on this and a lot of repeat eyeballs. Fine, this is one hundred and sixty two games of thirty teen you know fifty you know, fifteen matchups, right, Like, it's a ton of inventory over six months. Yeah, we don't need to take the same.
Speaker 3: Approach they're doing. Since they're doing like an MLB TV unwrapped. Now, I want to know how many times I had to watch the Liberty Liberty ad. I want it in there, like how many home runs I saw? How many strikeouts? How many Liberty Liberties.
Speaker 1: I don't know. How does the MLBtv unwrapped work if I'm watching it on different platforms Like I watched and I don't know, I watch.
Speaker 3: The same it's the same account R because they're still tied to the same it is email account as long.
Speaker 2: As you're logged into your account. It's like Spotify. It's like, you know, it's Whatever's.
Speaker 1: It didn't work for me last time, so I couldn't do it for whatever. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's here's what I want to know, not the R MLB TV wrapped. I want to know at like the year end advertising assessment meeting at Liberty how they rate.
Speaker 1: Which is which is at a five star resort somewhere?
Speaker 2: Because I from experience, I have to think that anyone who is actually engaged with MLB TV while these liberty ads on are on, would rather choose anyone else to see you.
Speaker 3: Say that, but like, there is value in just having your name repeating the name over and over again.
Speaker 1: Now you're looking for insurance. I mean, all these insurance companies do it. So maybe there's a like a diletorious effect or whatever going on, but like the fact is, like you're not necessarily going to look up your local like insurer or whatever. You're gonna be like, well, here are the companies that do it. Progressive Liberty, Mutual, Farmers, Farmers, All State, Nationwide, Geico, su Ye, right, Like it's like who does it these people? Okay? I had I had a h ACT issue a few weeks ago, and it was a so that we have a we have a regular H track company, but they were closed on Sunday, but the air conditioning wasn't working upstairs. It was like ninety degrees. So I had to call someone that day to see and I just looked up one of the two company or both the two companies that I see trucks driving around in the area, because I was like, well, are they open Sunday? And do they have good reviews? Like I looked into them whatever, But like I didn't look at every local company. I was just like, well, these guys are around there. I see them, you know, for an emergency. It it worked.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but what if they parked outside and blocked your driveway?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Maybe? Oh And speaking of which, so while we're on this is actually I said I had no no banter and it's it's gone long. But NJM. That's how I feel about NJM. Are you guys aware of that one?
Speaker 2: I don't know what that is, so I.
Speaker 1: Don't know if it actually stands for this, but they are saying in the commercials it stands for no jingles or mascots. It's an insurance company, and they do their entire premise of their series of commercials because every insurance company has to do this right now is insurance Annoya. They show it constantly on MLB TV. It's the guy singing Michelle Branch in a It says he has Insure Annoya and he's in a convertible and it like pulls up next to a position. Okay, well whatever, Well he's singing, and then it pans out and it turns out his car is on a tow truck because he won't actually drive it because he has insure Annoya. That is the best one of their series of commercials like this. It is essentially like here's an asshole. They should have MJM. And I'm always like, well, why would I want that? It appears to be insurance for assholes? Like one of them is just a woman who is putting like sunlight level daylight via whatever they're called, like stadium lights on her house at all times. And I'm like, and it's like her neighbors are unhappy in the commercial, Yeah they would be. And I'm like, great, so you've got this giant asshole. And they're like, Sally has insur anoia, blah blah blah, she should have n j M. And I'm like this, You're you're basically saying we're the insurance for the worst people on earth. Join us. I don't get it. I don't get it. Someone out there explain it to me, please. What's that?
Speaker 3: I was singing a Michelle Branch song, not a jingle.
Speaker 1: Well it's not a that was a full fledged song, Jeffrey, but it's still it's not the whole song, singing the chorus. No, you just straight up singing the song.
Speaker 3: Courus is a jingle? Fine and good for her her and Kathleen Hannah. I just living the life.
Speaker 1: See. But You're like, is Michelle Brinch still touring. I haven't gotten a problem an email about it. Probably all right, let's get into the show. I'm so sorry. Speaking of we have our first segment title. I don't want this, I don't need this. That's how we all feel about these commercials. It's how we feel about the AL Wildcard race. It will probably lead every single segment, every single show from here to the end of the season. We'll start with my my Orioles.
Speaker 3: I was writing so high you were, and then exactly what you predicted happened.
Speaker 1: I did. I do want to I do get to ride a little high because they said they're going to lose four in a row and we are three fourths of the way there.
Speaker 3: I do think we need to start every one of these segments. Was just trying to guess who the ALE Wildcard leader is because I guess wrong this morning when I started putting the doctor.
Speaker 1: Together, I have not looked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't the answer.
Speaker 1: No, I read I read your news.
Speaker 3: I know who it is, but I was pretty sure it was the Rangers. It is actually the Twins. Tomorrow it might be the Rangers.
Speaker 1: The Rangers are a mere half game back. Yes, they're closest.
Speaker 2: The Twins swept the Braves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that is.
Speaker 3: Yes, they are like great for the Braves. They got their three game win streak like the Orioles did last week, so they are now they have now toppled there now.
Speaker 1: Right, and anyone who's just finished a three game win streak will will retain the You.
Speaker 3: Just want to have the last three game win streak in this group, basically, I think the.
Speaker 2: Two gamer will do it.
Speaker 3: You're going to look up the last day of the season. You just want to see last ten, six and four, that's what you want to see.
Speaker 1: That's uh. Once once again, starting with with the third wild card. No, there is one six and four. I'm sorry I thought there was nobody. It is the Toronto Blue Jays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're winning today too, and they are winning today.
Speaker 1: Dazz can hit a home run. But let's stick with the Orioles for a second, because I don't did either of you watch any of or at least see the highlights.
Speaker 2: I mean I saw in particular, I saw a very specific highlight.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, the non home run, the foul ball. I don't know how that was a foul ball, am I am? I I'm not trying to be biased for my orioles. But like it went over the foul pole, and my understanding was over the foul pole is the same as hitting the foul pol Yes, understanding what's that, chef?
Speaker 3: These things happened in three dimensions. You're watching them on a two dimensional screen, Craig.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, look it's the But from best I could tell what were they watching? Then?
Speaker 3: Now they called it foul on the field, right, So they had to be right. They had to be They had to have a clear angle of it. I mean it was over the fell. I agree with you. I think I.
Speaker 1: Also think if they can mod I don't want to get into this because poor Mike Petriello had to get into people who don't understand how the home run distance thing works. But if they can track the ball and do the home run distance by taking its highest point in the parabolic arc, and.
Speaker 3: They sometimes have to adjust tho afterwards.
Speaker 1: So right, sure they but they have time to that can happen relatively quickly. It's not always hours later.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, If if they can do that, why can't they model a higher foul pole and also track the ball? If it's wrong, is it not? Probably a better estimate of what's going on then a guy who had to turn and spin and see it in real time.
Speaker 3: What we need to do is put a stadium floodlight on each foul pole. She like light the beam, you have a beam.
Speaker 1: I have not understood. I actually have not understood why they haven't done essentially the infrared or whatever, like something that ends up and have something on the ball that would tell you whether it Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well if soccer can tell you if it like touched somebody's hair, right, if the ball moved off hitting somebody's hair. You think with baseball as they would be able to figure out, you know, track them in real time with the radars.
Speaker 1: But right, I say they had that thing on soccer, the meter, then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think it's you gotta like you know, I hitting it over like this is a recurring issue, like trying to read it when it goes over the foul pol right, it goes left or right of the foul ball, you just look for the ball disappears or doesn't right.
Speaker 1: This is the Bryce Harper Hunter's trickland ball too, right, I mean, like people argue about that and that's that's fine. But like again, every every angle I saw.
Speaker 3: Sure look run on the field. I'm sure it would have been upheld as a home run.
Speaker 1: Right they said stands, They did not say confirms, And I understand that, but I also think they should be empowered to make like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I guess, But also I don't.
Speaker 1: Like this this the overturned confirmed stands, tryad thing. I don't think the call in the field should necessarily be given primacy. The people doing the review have more angles and more time and slower motion to make determination. Their best determination is the best determination.
Speaker 3: I've seen this suggested with the AR sometimes where it's like, I mean, obviously off sides or if the ball cross the line is pretty much automated at this point. But for like other stuff, the DAR should not know the call on the field before right right, But it was hard to do because they're watching the whole game as it goes, obviously, But like it's easier for MLB. I feel like where you're only sending you know, certain they have like thirteen monitors up or whatever, you're only sending certain calls there, like they don't have to know what the call in the field is. You ring a bell and you look, they look at this play and they look at the play and they say, Okay, Sayer, he's out right.
Speaker 1: Don't tell them someone saw it it is. But I also just think it should be the replace determination sure, whether they know it or not.
Speaker 2: Frankly, yeah, they should just make whatever the fifty one to forty nine call is, the fifty one should should ring. I think that's a perfectly reasonable way to feel. I don't know that. I mean, I don't know what the technology is like to actually do this with the over the foul pole thing. I think it's still just going to be a guy looking at the screen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: If they're fifty one percent confident verse forty nine, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just think if even if it's a guy just looking at the screen, I just think that's a better it's a better understanding of what what is going on than someone who had to watch it in real time and try. And it's true, we also doesn't mean it will be right one hundred percent of the time.
Speaker 3: We don't even have like cameras on every base right now, which something thing you think they could fig I.
Speaker 1: Guess that's the other thing is why is there not like just a straight, like a steady cam down the line? Yeah, right, like that should that angle should be on every like I'm down, both lines should just be a standard angle. Now, it doesn't always provide clarification, but it seemed like, again, combine that with some of the other looks and you get closer to you know, I don't know something substantive.
Speaker 2: Got a camera right on top of the foul pole looking straight at the sky.
Speaker 1: Look, if I had to deal with dirt cam, that was completely useless for a base cam. Again, they always do basse cam like they're showing us the base, but they're just showing us someone running at a base. It doesn't solve.
Speaker 2: It's never would have lost like exactly one of these foul pole cameras. Ever, it's the O'Neal cruise balance off the top. That's the only one that would have ever been hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah it is. Yeah, I don't know. I I Also, here's the other question. It was a tie game at the time, right, the Orioles lose this game by two. Yeah, maybe they make different picture decisions. Yeah presumably, But do you feel the lost hinges on this?
Speaker 3: I mean to an extent, Like that's the other thing. We're talking about this so much because it was a fairly high leverage situation both for the game and really, you know, for the oriel season to an extent at this point, absolutely, you know that's about it is like that somebody's gonna win this wildcard by one game or have tied and have the tiebreaker, right, Like, I don't think I don't feel like any of these al teams are gonna put a lot of daylight between themselves and the six teams in it right now.
Speaker 1: I will also point out, by the way, it was Pee Alonzo who hit it. Yep, As we noted last podcast, Pete Alonzo on an absolute tale he already had a home run in that you already had a home run in the game. Right He is slugging eight thirty seven over the last two weeks, He's up to a one forty one ops.
Speaker 3: Plus, and the Orioles have been under five hundreds, under five hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I will say I will also say this following up from last podcast. I think I already sent this to Zach in a chat, but I asked a friend of mine who's a big, big Orioles fan, because I said, like, is this what people want? Right? Is this exciting for people? Is it pulling people in the way MLB might want it to. And I and like, you know, just out of curiosity, what is this like for you? Like this is not a good team, but you're in it, And he said the things that you would normally expect, like once it doesn't really matter, like I'm not gonna apologize if they make the playoffs, like how they got there. I want them to make the playoffs unless he said, I if I knew Michael Oas was getting fired, I would accept not making the playoffs. But he said, you know, I want to make the playoffs. I said, but but like I was like, how does it feel though, and he was like, well, it's absolutely miserable watching them every game, but the time between games is not so bad.
Speaker 3: I think, like I felt a little bit this towards the end of the season with the Mets last year, like I'm mad, I have to care about this, and not just like that I have to care about this met scene that's playing badly, but also like I have to check this Red's Diamondbacks game out right in September, and like care about the outcome and how Tony Santalon is pitching, Like I don't like you don't like, that's not that's not fun. I feel like not a fun experience.
Speaker 2: I mean, the Orioles are a weird one because they're I mean, they care about Pete Alonzo right now, who's been there for less than a year. Their second best position player at the moment, I mean might be Christian Carnassio and Strand who's been there for Like, it's definitely.
Speaker 3: Christian and.
Speaker 1: Who is playing third base?
Speaker 3: Yes, Craig did not know that. I said this to you, Like the first time I noticed he.
Speaker 1: Was, well, Samuel Bisseillos they have d H DH I guess, yeah, I mean like he could barely play first I don't Andrew Vaughan is also playing third base? Are we like, what's happening?
Speaker 2: We're going back to the shift days but without the shift?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, exactly. Anyway, I cut you off.
Speaker 2: They're pining for the return of Blaize Alexander.
Speaker 3: Oh sure.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I just if it were like, oh, Gunner Henderson and Colton Cowser and Pi Alonzo were like carrying this team and everyone else is bad. Yeah, even the exact same record and same results would feel different, I think, But it is like, no Gunner Henderson's still in the gutter. Let's let's see what this team can do.
Speaker 3: I think there's also that.
Speaker 1: I mean, Simuel Besido is I guess he's back maybe so he's one of the top three players. I think they're happy with him, right, and there's some progress there. He's not dominating, but yeah, I mean, I.
Speaker 3: Mean for a twenty year older, twenty one year old rookie like he's having with injuries all year, yeah, and played through a lot of them, it's you know, it's fine.
Speaker 1: Kobe Mayo is up to a league average slash line, so he's been which means he's been pretty good of late.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Ik Kowser has been better recently too. But again, I think you're gonna get the problem is. I agree that if you make the playoffs and apologize for it, but you're gonna feel bad if they lose by a game and are like eighty and eighty two and missed out by a game. You're like, I cared too much about this in September. Nice anymore, I could have gone on more walks like.
Speaker 1: Right, No, he's he's miserable in the sense he says like watch and also I think obviously expectations play a big, big shart. They expected this team to be maybe not division winners, but like good, they expected a good team, like a good, solid team. And it's just every every game there's you know, I'm sure, I'm sure this is true every disappointing team, but like he was, like, the fundamentals on this team are atrocious, Like they just they don't play good defense. They like they screw They screw up basic stuff a lot, and that's part of how they got where they are. But it's also like, you know, it's not just that injuries sunk them. They've been injured for sure, But yeah, I don't know, and it's not gonna be the same story for every team, Like I think, you know, we've talked about if the White Sox lose the Central somehow and miss out on the playoffs, I don't know that their fans. Their fans might be disappointed in the end but happy with the season. Right is. It's a completely unexpected trajectory, and I but I still go back to, like I wonder if over a three year period, you're gonna if this keeps happening, And I don't know that it will. This is a weird number of We've had the sixth wild card for a few years. It hasn't happened this way like this many bad teams until now. But if this keeps happening you, I think you're gonna end up where the NBA is, where people just stop kind of checking in until I mean, I think the two months out of the.
Speaker 3: Playoffs, have ten teams in the playoffs with a play in game to sell to burious.
Speaker 1: Going to try to expand the play at least, that's right. I mean, that's that's the other part is is and you wrote about this, Zach, not in his most recent newsletter, but the one before, which I thought was fantastic. You know, Rob Manfred saying you had a great line. I think it was like Rob Manfred saying that we were really happy with, like we think we have the right number of.
Speaker 2: He was in a sweet spot. Yeah, you call it in the sweet spot.
Speaker 1: And that sweet spot will be also be seven teams when it suits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when the money is right, the sweet spot will get bigger. And that's just how it works. Like he's bragging.
Speaker 1: It's a torpedo, bat Zach. He's just moving the sweet spot right like, and they're.
Speaker 3: Going to go to the you know, they're going to go to TVs or ESPN, ABC, Disney, whatever and based or Netflix at some point maybe and just be like, look, if you don't you don't love me at my Guardian's raised, you don't deserve me at my Red Sox Yankees, right Like, It's like, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, but it's it's gonna be a problem. This is the thing. Like last year they had these Honestly, I think the NL race was as bad as this one. Last year. We just didn't realize it because the Mets fell from so far they ended up in the same place these teams are gonna end up. But you know, they they lucked into Red Sox Yankees and Otani playing in the wild Card Series last year, and it's like, yeah, that's gonna work.
Speaker 3: They might get it again this year.
Speaker 2: They're gonna get something every year that kind of works.
Speaker 1: And I think that well, honestly, even Seattle Detroit, right that was was that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: It was Cleveland Detroit, Cleveland Detroit, and then Detroit Seattle and ye okay.
Speaker 1: So I'm not Cleveland Detroit wasn't that nothing. It was it was a multi game, you know, it was a three game series or whatever. But yeah, yeah, no, I I get what you're saying in terms of of like it's always bad teams, but even the Giants who finished two games out were were five hundred, right, So the Mets had a huge fall from grace, but they were eighty three and seventy nine. Yeah, like that that is the.
Speaker 2: The I think the al third wild card this year will end up eighty three and seventy nine.
Speaker 1: Maybe do you think three teams?
Speaker 2: So that the the I didn't say that, right.
Speaker 1: Well, so that but that's kind of the difference, right, is that, like there's at least a little bit of depth at five hundred or above. Now maybe look now you want to tell me I'm picking knits. It's fair, right, I mean it's these were these were not good teams, which is the broader point.
Speaker 3: Now is but they were the West winner and the wild card going to get to eighty three wins?
Speaker 2: That would I mean, that is another factor. I don't know, but yeah, that would make it worse. I don't know. I think this is what it sets up as. This is how teams are incentivized. Which problem with this whole thing and also not a problem from the perspective of the teams and MLB. So that's where we're that's where we're at.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'm sure the Tigers are feeling like we made we really boosted our farm system, including guys that can help next year. And if we get in and we get in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's a head right, I mean, the weirdest thing and maybe the worst thing. It depends on your perspective. Maybe the worst thing that can happen is the Tigers are Mariners, or I'm gonna leave it at the Tigers or Mariners get into the playoffs at like eighty one and eighty one or eighty or under five hundred, and then they win the whole thing because they can. Those teams are good enough to win the World Series. Like in theory, they are obviously not good enough right this second, but the rock.
Speaker 3: Of that group they have a better change. Like, none of these teams are likely, but they have a better chance probably than the Twins or the Guardians.
Speaker 2: Or the Thes especially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel that's true for the I don't know if I see World Series winners look any anything. Sure, I don't like the Tigers. It's harder to.
Speaker 3: See without the pitching yeah. I will also point out George Craby gave up six runs in the first inning today, so.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah, the Mariners are used to give you enough runs in the in the last few days.
Speaker 1: I know they came back and won yesterday, but twenty two to nothing. My god, I Zach, I don't know not to put you on the spot, but I really did love that newsletter. I don't know if you want to get into any or you know, drop a brief version of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, might not have read it. The gist of the newsletter bandwagon dot ghost dot io free to read. The gist was there's no such thing as a Pennant race anymore because the I did a very long Kentucky Derby metaphor. But essentially, sports sell the thing that the audience is most interested in buying, and that can create that sensitives to some things we don't usually want to think about horse racing. That's gambling interests. And the reason certain horse that the age at the Kentucky Derby is what it is is not because the horses are the best. It's because that's when they're most unpredictable, and so we find the best horse at a time when they're not at their best yet. And that's pretty much.
Speaker 1: What we're doing.
Speaker 2: We moved the important race in baseball from first, which decided the World Series for so long, or from you know, second, which decided the NLCS the ALCS. We moved it down and down and down and down to sixth because the current thing that is sellable is immediate stakes. It is a one game playoff. It is more playoff series period. It is that like, what is the amount of money you can make in a mass audience in one weekend? And that's the playoffs And there's no regular season equivalent of that right now. For that, you know, baseball does not believe there's a regular season equivalent of that. And I think until you run into something that arrests that factor, you're just gonna keep getting more playoff teams and more of a race to the bottom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I have to tell you, I also immediately thought of March madness when you're talking about the the unpredictability when when you're describing and I, you know, I'm not that deep into horse race or anything, so I didn't know that was specifically the reason. It makes a lot of sense that it's like, yes, there's there's like a clear sense of some horses are better than others, but also so subject to variance that it's interesting. And that's it's a lot of college sports, a lot of minor league you know. It's actually part of what I really like about going to minor league games or tracking prospects is like you get a sense of it, but it's not it's not fato complete, right, Like it's not assured. And and so I thought a lot about you know, college football, college basketball, stuff like that, where again you get a lot of the way there, but not all the way there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it's it's what people want in a lot of things. I don't mind it in college football. I certainly don't mind it in college basketball. But I think baseball's ethos is such that the point has always been to find you know, the World Series has been the thing, and you want to see the best teams are at least a reasonable facsimile of the best teams, and that that ethos doesn't match well.
Speaker 1: I do think it should. I think it should be necessarily different at the professional levels than college Like when I seek that out, I seek it out in college sports for a reason, and not at the professional level. I think the professional level should be about being the best and being number one, and like having that that aspect of it, that determinative aspect of it. What I like about the various college stuff is like you get all the different you know, whether it's formations in college football, or you know, you just get those teams that press all the time in college basketball or whatever, like it's they're doing, it's a different. It's just a different.
Speaker 2: It's strategic variance because their little guys know their little guys, and they change their shape to beat the big guys, and in baseball does the exact opposite. It creates where everyone can be exactly the same and have the same rewards sticking their neck out.
Speaker 1: Exactly all right. So I interjected that on Zach's behalf because I really I did love it. But what I mean in terms of the A, I think it all applies here to the to the AL wild card. I don't know what other teams are we wanting to talk about Detroit.
Speaker 3: Want is such a strong word. Christ what other teams are.
Speaker 1: We scheduled to talk about? Jeffery, Detroit had a really rough loss last night.
Speaker 3: Kenley Dancing give up two home runs in the ninth, which is happening.
Speaker 1: Midlean Belt, high inner half cutters to Brandon Lau, I'm finding out.
Speaker 3: Hit two home runs. They want to make it three to two and then want to tie it in the ninth.
Speaker 2: I think, okay, Greg, this is the proper response. But this guy's stats slash slash line recently is insane. He has hit like five homers.
Speaker 1: No oh sure, no, no, I honestly didn't hear who he said. I did. I did see that he was. He had a very hot week and he was the part of the return in one of the Yankees trades. They trade a lot with the Yankees. I'm not keeping.
Speaker 3: Trade.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, a lot of maybe maybe catchers too like that? Yeah, oh right, this was It was when with Edgelen Paris, who was also a catcher. That was the Bedmard trade. Yeah yeah, no, I well again, and and Flores is having the hot week like as Merlin Valdez or whatever you know. I bring him up every freaking podcasts. I will also once again reference my friend Shocker, the Detroit fan. He just within the last hour, since every day I learn a new fact about the Tigers, and every day it makes me mad today is the Tigers have the most games played in baseball this year, in which they held the league through the sixth. The name so I said, they had a bad loss this week, but they've had a lot of bad losses. He went through in a chat the other day. After this this, I guess yesterday after Kenley's blown safe, they have four of the top I don't know, twenty blown saves, like relievers with blown saves in the league.
Speaker 3: It's I feel like they could have traded.
Speaker 1: For a reliever. Yes, I see with four.
Speaker 3: Even with selling at the deadline, you can still have like added two relievers just you know, just I think.
Speaker 1: You could have probably weased out an extra relief arm from the Dodgers, probably somewhere right like maybe not even Kyle Hurt or something, but like somebody just throw them in. They're not it's not going to be a ball breaker over trk Schoole. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I think they're gonna have to stop using the term pitching chaos after this particular derogatory.
Speaker 1: We're just gonna add derogatory.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: As we talked about the Twins, they've won three in a row. They have Why why is Walker Jenkins not here?
Speaker 3: It's a good question.
Speaker 2: Gotta be soon.
Speaker 3: It's pass. We're past the club back date. He'll have PPI eligibility next year as well.
Speaker 5: Emanuel Rodriguez currently upright, yep, he's currently hitting very well.
Speaker 3: And Byron Buckson is neither of those things.
Speaker 1: So so, just like it can't be that they have too many guys the Twins rest rest one of them ever, like rotate him around five days a week or whatever.
Speaker 2: They don't have to invent a position lower on the defensive spectrum than d h from Luke to play.
Speaker 1: He's playing right field.
Speaker 2: Anymore.
Speaker 1: If the outfielders, yeah, I mean I I was tempted to say the Trevor Laarna can't possibly be that good. But he's been pretty good.
Speaker 3: Fine, he's been fine, Booth the solution and the problem here well, But so he's the reason Cody Clemens playing second base instead of first is the reason Luke Keishall is in right field instead of second base, which he, as Zach is pointing.
Speaker 1: Out, cannot play because Royce Lewis is now at first, because brooks Lee is at third, because they called it Kayln Culpepper.
Speaker 3: Who's been good.
Speaker 1: Who's been good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, best players on the Twins are all the rookies who are It's like it's in verse, it's Byron Buxton and all the guys you've never heard of. That's one of the best players.
Speaker 1: All of those guys need time off, is my sense. So just bring up Walker to figure it out. This is why you have apparently Derek Shelton. I continue to not understand that higher personally, but like he's there, so have him figure it out. Uh, I don't know, and.
Speaker 3: Like again like a yeah, so, yeah, the Mariners had made a little they haven't even made a run. They're just sitting there two and a half back, which is closer than I thought. Oh, they're also losing badly today.
Speaker 1: Yes, you put in the doc here come the Mariners, and I wanted to ask you what you thought. What what constitutes here come?
Speaker 3: They are two and a half game fact entering players to record.
Speaker 1: They're four and six in their last ten. Yeah, sure they lost twenty two to nothing, they did, but here they come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can sell them a block away.
Speaker 1: They're they're deteriorating, but they're on the way. Rock Rodden is here.
Speaker 3: Rock Rodin is here. Yeah, pre tweeting about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, for sure. I mean that's a Colorado Rockies name. But if I've ever heard heard of one, I don't. I don't know. What. What do you want to say about the Mariners, Jeffrey.
Speaker 3: They're also only three and a half out of the division.
Speaker 1: Sure, yes, all these teams are bad.
Speaker 3: I know, Like it's.
Speaker 1: Rodriguez lost track of how many outs.
Speaker 3: There were and in nineteen to nothing game. I feel that's fair. I feel like he wanted the inning to be over. I get it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I understand that the that the blue Jay's Red Sox thing happened with the fourth out, but like there is a scoreboard he could.
Speaker 3: Miss the second time this year too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not great. It's not great. In the nl HM, things are slightly better than that. There are. The teams are have better, teams are better. Yes, the teams are better.
Speaker 3: Teams are not good.
Speaker 1: Teams are better, they are not good. The Padres holds the third wild card. They're eighty games over five hundred, so I mean, just again.
Speaker 3: I also just lost two of three to the Mets.
Speaker 2: So the Mets are a buzzsaw right now. I you know, I am.
Speaker 1: Like this is.
Speaker 3: This is as confident as I've been in a Mets bullpen and I don't know how long. And you haven't heard of any of these people than Codey Senga, who's closing?
Speaker 1: You know what? Yeah what?
Speaker 3: Daniel Daniel Duarte is nails. Nate Lender looks like the first lefty I cannot name. Jeffrey is still doing his thing. Oh I think he now has more strikeouts than walks.
Speaker 1: That's good. Yeah, here comes to me.
Speaker 2: Nate Lavender has immediately taken the Luke Weaver mantle of way better interview than a bullpen arm should be. Okay, you know, sure, it's going well.
Speaker 1: The the Diamondbacks are a game out, but they've you have to talk about the catel Marte situation.
Speaker 3: Nobody, like I say, we don't know anything, but it does seem like nobody knows anything.
Speaker 1: So he missed a game with some knee irritation.
Speaker 3: No, I mean before that, oh, before that, he came out of a game.
Speaker 2: I guess, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, So he right, he had some New Years.
Speaker 3: A week ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought it was with a game or two before.
Speaker 3: I mean it's a week ago now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, Then he just didn't show up for a game in Boston. He was in Boston.
Speaker 3: With rights, like he was in the hotel as far as I can tell, like he traveled that he didn't go to the park.
Speaker 1: He just did not go to the park. They placed him on the restricted list, which I will tell you, if you don't show up to the park, you're gonna get placed on the restricted list. I Jeffrey said, No, one really seems to know anything. He's with the team. He there is a potential injury.
Speaker 2: He's no, he's no longer with the team because now he flew back to Arizona to get his knee looked at right.
Speaker 1: Just get it looked at right. Okay. Yeah, So so I apologize, thank you for that. I I mean, like everyone's kind of like, I hope he's okay. Yeah, but it's it's nobody seems to really know in what capacity he may or may not be okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I'm see this has happened before, although not you know, there's the issue around the All Star break last.
Speaker 1: Year from his house being burgled.
Speaker 3: And there was some grumbling I guess maybe from either the locker room or the front office that you know, is he actually at his burgled house or is he somewhere else? And you know, there's like I'm just used to an ownership slash front office that will absolutely knighte this guy in the side for not showing up, or do you doing anything.
Speaker 2: Like this?
Speaker 3: And it has been a little I don't think. I don't know that they know. And they being the you know, Tori Lavello or the front office exactly what is going on, doesn't feel that they've talked to him. It seems unclear who has talked to him, if anyone.
Speaker 1: So I have a couple reads on this, and one one is so they made him very available, yeah over the off season, right, I think as an organization they are tired of his ship. Sure, whatever that shit is.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they allowed him to get ten and five rights by not trading him this offseason.
Speaker 1: They did, I don't know if they're justified in being tired of his ship or not. It's a very confusing situation because there was clear dissatisfaction with how long he took to come back from the Burgled House thing. Whether that dissatisfaction was from front office management, the manager management club, the other guys in the clubhouse. It's not entirely clear. Nick pikoro of I said Arizona Republic, I think wrote an article on this. Nick is a very good reporter with a long standing ties to a lot of people in that organization. I don't think he'd write it without knowing for sure. That's how people felt. It felt like real signal. And then I know Heraldo Perdomo it might have been. And I think some others came out and basically said like, no, we love him like he's the best. And obviously there can just be different people in the clubhouse who feel different things. It could be that people in the clubhouse felt comfortable voicing something anonymously and when put in front of a camera, uh or you know, a recorder and a notepad, said oh no, I'm not gonna knife him publicly. I will only do it, you know, behind a cloak. It could be that all the clubhouse, the guys in the clubhouse love him and not the manager. Or it could be the manager also loves him and not the front office. I don't know, but it's something. It's one of those there's a split somewhere, yeah, right, And and I don't think it's clear at all where it is. But someone, and I think it has to be at the very least the front office is tired of his ship, whatever his ship is. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's also a lot easier to deal with this ship when he's better than a one on five ops plus.
Speaker 1: Sure, Sure, when I mean this, that's a version of winning fixes everything. Sure, but even a one on five ops plus is in this in this team. Yes, I mean, it's tolerable, it's you know, but I don't It's also it's not just I remember from the time, it wasn't just the burgled house, like, it was about how quickly he came back from injuries, how many how you know, he'd.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in that Pechoro article, there was a lot of just like he wants days off was the overriding sentiment. Even when it's not the burglary or injuries. It was like, he just takes days off. And obviously he did take a day off in Boston, possibly of the Parrisbueler variety. Uh, And I I don't know, Yeah, I mean the real answer here is wait till Nick Piercoro figures out what happens, because that's pretty much what you do with the Diamondbacks. But I also wonder if not trading him is also signal in that every other team has figured out what his ship is and didn't want to trade for it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess, but also.
Speaker 1: Whether they figured it out or not if they don't know, every single signal the Diamondbacks as an organization have put out there is this guy's problematic in some way, shape or for him. Why would why would you pay full freight for him?
Speaker 3: But I mean also given how much he's making and given how good he is, like, also just give him the day off a week if you trade for him.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: That's like, I mean, if you know that's built into the whatever, Like.
Speaker 1: There are always guys who are head cases, like too much is too heavy a term for this, but like there are always guys who are difficult, yeah, or just like require high maintenance. Sure, right, that's that's the whole I mean again, to me, that's why you employ a manager.
Speaker 3: Yes, And like I think generally he like Levelo and he have gotten along pretty well.
Speaker 1: I think Tory Lavello is generally considered I consider him a very good manager.
Speaker 3: Like obviously this stuff has gotten out, but has not seemed to affect his play on the field or other stuff like the Diamondbacks play on the field at large. Right, No, this isn't. I don't think this has become like a Lindor Soto level thing. And maybe that's just the market he plays it. Yeah, that could certainly be part of it, but you know, it's he's been a very good player for them for a long time at this point.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I also again, like if he needs to take a game off a week to do obviously, if it's one oh five, that's one thing, but last year it was what ops plus something like that.
Speaker 3: Jordan Lawler is back and healthy now temporarily make that So yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should trade him to the Twins just for like keeping them out in one place.
Speaker 1: Now, you gotta trade. It's got to be Drew Jones, it's got to be an outfielder. It's uh no. So so we'll see, you know, we'll see. We'll wait for Nick Paccoro's article. The last thing here, The Phillies have won six in a row. By the way, they're eight and two in their last ten, too clear of San Diego now twelve games.
Speaker 3: Over front, they've gotten to al right, Aaron Nola starts that they continue to get those day will be fine.
Speaker 1: He's been okay for like, yeah, more than just the two starts, and Alec Baum has had He's hit close to five hundred over the last couple two weeks. It's basement if you're gonna get, If you're gonna get Aaron Nola starts that are pretty good, and Alex Bowm is gonna hit, it's gonna help the rest of the team work out pretty well.
Speaker 3: That does solve a lot of two very large problems.
Speaker 1: At least two very large problems.
Speaker 2: Have you seen how good Bryson's stott has been since?
Speaker 1: Very good?
Speaker 3: First?
Speaker 2: No, he's like a top twenty player in base position player base since May. It's really weird and I can't explain anything about it.
Speaker 1: Something to look into, certainly, Let's let's go to our next subject. I'm sure this won't take long at all. Lots of is to make money in this world, but I can't recommend insurance fraud. We're going to revisit the Dodgers and Mark Walter and Guggenheim, and I'm gonna say I need to. I don't I don't want to say Ecro I was, I don't know cavalier around around in our discussion last time. And what I would tell you is the further reporting I think has generated a lot of conspiracy that I still am pretty dismissive towards, but I would say has also revealed some things that I think are legitimately more concerning. Is that that fair? I am taking additional details more seriously.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think we've gone from like a one percent chance that in our consideration, we've gone from like a one percent chance this materially affects the Dodgers to like a twenty per sent chance it materially affects the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: So I'm I'm not that you mean by affects the Dodgers, I'm probably more at like five percent. But that's a five hundred percent increase, right, Like that's it's a it's a big increase. And the only reason I am at I am only at five percent is the Dodgers, unto themselves, are as far as we know, look, barring further revelations. Well you have to say that, right, No, And I do, and I do mean the qualification. I'm not just saying it as far as we know they are wildly profitable and they cover their massive expensives and then some. Right, so if that wasn't the case, I would be very very concerned about.
Speaker 3: How I mean, there's there's obviously a reason he sold the Lakers and is looking to sell his sharing Chelsea before him.
Speaker 1: Well, so the Chelsea the Chelsea share. I'm going to base this off one Athletic article, and Jeff certainly knows more about the European soccer side of stuff than I do. But the Athletic article I read made it seem like this was a long time coming. Sure because Todd Bully who he is, who is a co owner of the Dodgers, and he's in other ventures with Mark Walter, Mark Walter and Todd Bowley own I don't know twelve percent of of Chelsea. Uh, and Bully is like the chairman anymore.
Speaker 3: But he's transitioning.
Speaker 1: He was for four years or something like that, And it seems to me, based on this Athletic article, everyone fucking hates him, including the majority owners of Chelsea. So so it sounds like they were looking to sell their shares speaker because of this internal disagreement. Well before this stuff, it might be obviously, Oh for sure, I'm not saying there's no impact, but it doesn't. He's here's the other factors he's not selling. He has Mark Walter has an F one team, he has the Sparks, he has uh some tennis Cup.
Speaker 2: Thing, he has an entire professional women's hockey league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think that's right. So he's not selling these things. Yet it doesn't mean he won't. So I think the Chelsea now, it might just be that between the Lakers and the Chelsea Shares, he's going to get close enough that he doesn't have to sell those things because they're not as they're not going to be bringing as much money. Right, absolutely, but it's also not like he's selling everything and the the Again, I want to go back to the reason I'm not so worried about the Dodgers, though I think there needs to be some concern. Is they cover themselves so in a world where if they if this was a Peter Seidler Padres situation where they were outstripping their their market in a lot of ways, but he was happy to fund it and suddenly was under this kind of investigation or whatever, And honestly like his passing brings a lot of it's it's a lot of the same consequences. Right the next people were like, we got to do stuff different. We're not underwriting this. We can't underwrite this the way he did. Right.
Speaker 3: Well, you've also got this. Yes, the Dodgers paid it themselves. They're also the most you know, by far, the most valuable thing in his portfolio. And we don't know exactly how much money he owes. And even if the Dodgers make money, like if he needs liquidity immediately.
Speaker 1: Sure, No, so I'm not saying he wouldn't sell them, but I don't know that that means the Dodgers can't sure operate the same way right now.
Speaker 3: That doesn't mean I want to do it right.
Speaker 1: No, but but so so I had this conversation with someone who over texts as well. No, but also John Henry did this with the Red Sox and didn't sell the team and just decided I'm not doing that anymore. It's possible that could Mark Walter could also do that. I don't know that a sale or a change in change in philosophy that can happen at at at any point, but I think what has been proven by the way they've operated. Is at least we'll show hey, Otani is on the team. Just keep going gonzo and it makes you money. So I'm not really sure why you would pull back because it's it's working for them.
Speaker 2: I don't know that the Yeah, I don't think it's very likely that the change that this creates will be the franchise and the Baseball Operations Department operates. It's in some noticeably meaningfully different way soon, or in ways that we can attribute to this. But I think the likelihood is increasing that Mark Walter is not the control person anymore, you know. I think that is something that is even if it's temporary or like, you know, step away while he whatever deals with the SEC investigation.
Speaker 3: In the urban Meyer, I want to spend more time with my family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something in that realm, you know, disappears for a little bit.
Speaker 1: I need to spend more time with my accountants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, a lot more time with my accountants. That maybe doesn't materially affect the Dodgers in the on field way, but I think it it introduces the possibility that it materially affects the Dodgers. You know, if you're not in, if you're in with a less confident operator at the top, or you're doing as many of the things as they do.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know the answer. Maybe the answer is yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I guess I would say is I think people underrate the extent to which that possibility exists, even in the same control person. Yeah, And I would point to John Henry again for that reason. Now, I don't think it's the same as if it goes to someone else. Right. We see this all the time, right, The Lakers are an actual example of this, right like the kids did not run it the way Jerry ran it, and the Steinbrunners are an example of this a lot of time when times when children inherit a team, they don't.
Speaker 3: Have the learners. You can look all over the map here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well the illegitly the Cubs as well the Rickets. Right, Like, they don't have everything centralized in terms of control of the various companies. They get split among the various kids. And then those kids their little fiefdoms are not as profitable as everything was together, so they operate things differently. And because the teams are or can be money, right, they can be the source of profit. They run them they optimized for profit rather than wins. This could absolutely happen if Walter has to sell the team, if he's not the control person, right that that is, I think that's a higher possibility than if he is. I think it's a possibility even if he remains, as John Henry showed us, right, that's that. I just think those possibilities do exist. It also, I don't. I think there's a lot of conspiracy out there, and and I'm not I'm not trying to dismiss the conspiracy. I think there's a lot. We don't know.
Speaker 3: Are you saying the marshals the Supreme Court has told you that Jeff Passon is going to face the death penalty, and you've have no pleasure in reporting this, and there's no.
Speaker 1: Pleasure in reporting that. I don't know. I don't know specifically if Passen even has has said anything. It's it's just that No.
Speaker 3: The current conspiracy theory is that Jeff Passen has known about the Dodgers' financial fraud for years and hidden it from the public.
Speaker 1: Okay, I yeah, I think the most concerning thing I've seen in any of this, if I'm as as a Dodgers fan, if I'm a Dodgers fan, is that Walter went to Charter Cable and said, we can end our deal early for an upfront fee. And it's concerning on a number of levels, but the most well, they have the best TV deal in in the league. And the most direct reason it is concerning as a Dodgers fan is Frank McCourt basically lost the team because he went to Fox and accepted a well below market TV deal because it included upfront money because he had no money. Yes, now I don't think these are specifically the same thing. I don't think Mark Walter has no money. There's a there's a difference between liquidity and money that way, and and McCourt had parking lots, but then the real estate, the real estate market crashed and he handed them over to the league as worthless in lieu of in lieu of actually paying the money that they were collateral collateralized.
Speaker 3: For cost market a Dodgers game.
Speaker 1: Now, so then he lost. But then they actually had no money, right like once the parking lots were gone as collateral and and their value was worthless, like he had nothing. I don't that's not the case for Walter as far as we know right now.
Speaker 3: Now, the flip side of that is, like Guggenheim Partners writ large has far more financial entanglements with various places, right sure, Like so that's.
Speaker 1: It's there's also that like Guganheim Partners also doesn't own the Dodgers t w G. So like it's very it's it's very obnoxious getting getting into all of this stuff.
Speaker 3: And again, we had a long conversation, like a kind of like circular conversation on this in the discord, and finally I just said, like, are you asking me if money isn't real? Because if so, my answer is yes.
Speaker 1: If so.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't want to preclude some of these even some of the conspiracy things, because we don't know. We just don't have a lot of answers to to a lot of this stuff right now. But I would love for people to hold their horses a little bit bit. I mean, they're not going stuff but no, but it's there's just there's a lot to be proven out. Again, I had a conversation with someone and it was just a conversation, but it was about you know, it's like about this impacting the Dodgers, and I think especially in the near term. It's just not going to Yeah, you know, we'll see, we'll see. I'm not gonna say it won't.
Speaker 3: Ever, he would not be the first major League baseball owner to incur a serious federal investigation or security Do you have experience in that and come out the other side of it, Let's say, yeah, I also see old if you ow. If you ow one thousand dollars, you have a problem. If you owe a million dollars, the bank has a problem. Well, he might owe twenty billion dollars.
Speaker 1: So right. But also the other part of this is there are two ways of looking at what he's doing. Sure, in response to a sudden twenty let's call it twenty billion, because that seems to be the number. We'll see if it's more than that, it might be. But let's say a twenty billion dollar hole in a balance sheet. The way he's responded to that is selling one of his other assets for twelve and a half billion dollars.
Speaker 3: He doesn't get all of that, but yes.
Speaker 1: No, but okay, whatever, but he gets he gets a lot of it. He does, yeah, and potentially selling another one of his assets in Chelsea it's twelve percent, but you know, whatever, he's going to get some money out of that he's trying to fill and then he's going around to other places asking for loans. Right, He's reportedly going to Steve Cohen for loans. He's reportedly put his own shares in Guggenheim as backing for a loan and promised double digit returns. Now, there's two ways of looking at that. Yes, one is I know, but that's not that's not that's just just hold on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's two.
Speaker 1: Ways of looking at that. One is I was even going to go more recent than than made off, which is Sam Bakman freed. Sure, Okay, a lot of he's scrambling looked a lot like this, but it was premised on their their file like and and again there's some similarities in the in the filing being wrong, but they were knowingly Sam BigMan, it was a very small people and it was the people at the top who knowingly were like, yeah, we're just gonna put that in the file that no one that says, don't look at this, and it's a growing it's a growing hole in our balance sheet. I don't know. I'm going to go back to what I said last time. I don't know if Mark Walter is the person controlling that for these for Delaware Life and clear Spring insurance companies, it might have been someone else. It also is like they put on their official file, they changed the regulatory filings, and then they said we were wrong.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So there's again two ways of looking at it. One is scrambling to fix it in the Sam Bankman freed where it's all it's all illegal, right, Like, every single part of this is basically begging money to perpetuate the illegal scheme.
Speaker 3: Are you saying it's something like a crimes dot XL S GREG.
Speaker 1: That's not related. That's just not even the same. That's just this is what I'm saying. Yeah, I'm saying, don't be a conspiracist. Yes, yeah, those aren't. First of all, those those in't like two ownership groups ago, right or was that under McCourt. I don't even remember. But it's it's not remotely the same people, and it's a very different crime.
Speaker 2: It is very different crime new conspiracy. Can Mark Walter possibly own an insurance company if it's not advertising on amobiita.
Speaker 1: Now we're getting somewhere. But the other way is if there's suddenly a twenty billion dollar hole on your balance sheet? How else are you going to fill it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he has a lot of like obviously they have a lot of valuable companies outside of Well.
Speaker 1: But this is the point about the Sam Bankman freed thing is their entire thing. The only reason it looked any good was because they were hiding this hole. Sure, that's not the case for all of Guggenheim as far as we know right now, and it's not even the case for these companies now. It would change the way regulators rated their stability, right absolutely, But it's the other part of this is again like you have the Dodgers. The Dodgers are part of his portfolio and make money hand over fist. So it's not that everything in the portfolio is fraudulent, right. So again I'm not saying one of these ways is more correct or not. I think there are two ways of looking at it, and it will bear out. We will see which one happens.
Speaker 3: I think the more interesting aspect to me, at least in the shorter term, is how this affects CBA stuff. If, as has been sort of reported, he might be using this to hide or to limit how much revenue sharing money he's putting it.
Speaker 1: So my question on that, and it's an honest question, is how is there the way so their TV deal is different the bankruptcy court started at thirty four rather than forty.
Speaker 3: Well, this is more that he's writing loans against the business. But you can only count that if it's not loans from your own companies.
Speaker 1: Sure well, okay, I understand that part. But there's a lot of there's been over the years the way teams when they own rsns, Yeah, own the product that goes to the RSN. A lot of teams have sheltered a lot of money that would again that would otherwise go to revenue sharing, and they structure they because they're on both sides of those deals, they get to do that. I'm not saying the loan aspect isn't a novel iteration right like of that and not Additionally.
Speaker 3: All these teams can show a loss on paper if they want, right, not just the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: And I think that they do and have over the years when they've been on both sides of those arrangements. Sure I don't. I don't think in general the content of hiding you know, washing some money or hiding some money from revenue sharing via the RSN deal is new, the loan aspect might be in it. I'm not I don't know enough about that, so I don't. Again, I'm not trying to preclude some of that stuff. But the other part of of I did want to ask this because it occurred to me, like, do you think part of the reason he was willing to end the Charter deal for upfront money is the Dodgers are the hottest property in baseball right now and could just they might not even get the same deal, but they could just get another.
Speaker 3: Really, why wouldn't they Just it's weird, right because like, why wouldn't they just do it with Charter again? Like that seems to right, or just I could negotiate, like you could renegotiate from more front up you could like just renegotiate, extend the deal and get more upfront money, right, like you can?
Speaker 1: I would think, Yeah, Well, so I wanted to ask, like, I don't know, I don't like, I don't think part of the calculation, sure, I guess, And also, you know, what are maybe they want to get It might be that Charters not doing great.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Yeah, that's the other things like how much longer is this cable bubble lasting? Right, there's regional sports now we've already seen with ballet's pretty much fall apart, right, so.
Speaker 1: Well, and the other the other thing is we know MLB wants ultimately to get control of all of these at some point so that they can package them more nationally. Maybe he said, Charter, do you want out of this by let's say twenty twenty eight, when MLB wants every single thing available, And suddenly I'm in MLB's good graces.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, which I might need, which I might need, Yeah, which I.
Speaker 1: Which I might need for sure. But that's how these things.
Speaker 3: No, I don't work.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, I'm not saying you know, I don't. I would be surprised if this impacts CBA negotiations much. I don't know.
Speaker 3: They're already all mad at the Dodgers anyway, So yeah.
Speaker 2: I cannot see how this would change the Dodgers' stance enough to change the CBA negotiations if I'm being honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And I do want to go back to the thing, you know, Zach, where you said if it was one percent before, maybe it's twenty percent now. I do think if the Dodgers, and again, if it's if it's the case that the Dodgers are not actually making you know, if it's if it's accounting magic and they're not making money hand over fist or whatever, I think I'd even go beyond twenty percent in level of concern. I think that then becomes a huge, huge problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I I don't think it's accounting magic. I think profitable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, me too. And and because of that, because they're profitable on their own terms, not the largest from the you.
Speaker 3: Know, the not using these loans to find like the Shoho Tani annuity right.
Speaker 1: Right, well, and again, like I think to go back to the Seidler Padres aspect of this, I think the Padres could have could be profitable still at that level, but it needed runway, it needed burn, you know, churn in the short term that he was willing to finance. If the Dodgers were in that churn stage and suddenly that goes away, then it's a huge problem. If they've reached the point where it's more mature and they're just you know, the Padres continue to get three million fans a year through through their Turnstiles. You know, then it's it's a different situation of the ability to continue to propagate, you know, as it goes forward. So I went very long on that first two segments. I apologize, We're going to take a break, and we'll come back with the resolution. Welcome back to episode five hundred and seventy three of five and dive. We're on segment three. Paul is dead. I don't know who which, which one of you would like to answer the question of what the hell is going on with Paul Skins.
Speaker 3: So I am in a weird spot with this because obviously I had to care a lot about Paul Skins for eighteen months while he was a prospect, and now this requires me to watch more Pittsburgh Pirates games than I would otherwise intend to. But I mean, I have looked into this a little bit, and he's having a bad season by his standard, in which you know, obviously his fast fall velocity is down. He has almost a four ur but like it's like, are you striking out eleven for nine? Like the like the peripherals are still pretty good. They're not as good as last year, but they're still pretty good. And the thing is the the sort of gap between what you would call, you know, the covetching about his underperformance or the disappointment in his season versus like what seems to be coming out from Pittsburgh is like way more virulent than I would for a guy that just won the say Young last year.
Speaker 1: Right like.
Speaker 3: That, Like guys have these see like Jacob de Gram had a season like this, Like guys have seasons like this, even good pictures.
Speaker 2: I think if the Pirates were the same variety of bad they were the first two years, we would not hear anything about this. It's it's the combination of holy crap, they fixed the offense, Yeah, they.
Speaker 4: Kind of did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess it's a real offense what they used to have, and now the pitching is not good and it's not just it's not just scenes at all. But it magnifies the fact that they had an automatic seven innings one run last year and now they have an automatic six innings three runs or whatever. Not even that his e R is like three, you know whatever.
Speaker 1: It's top ten.
Speaker 2: His FIP is top ten among qualified starters. Like it's probably gonna be fine. The velocity is a little down.
Speaker 3: You can look, there are concerns here, but it's also probably like uh like his his like top line performance over states the.
Speaker 1: Ra is up just just just shy of two full runs, right, His FIP is up six tenths of a run exactly right, that's the difference. His d r A last year was seventy this year is seventy five. It's a number one starter.
Speaker 3: Right, And you can do that and like you can spit out again. I don't like some of it. I have not looked deeply into it. If there's some sequencing stuff, if there's the defense behind him isn't too good, which probably isn't like just like sequencing ball in some play strand raid, like he's given up more home runs, which I certainly could be part of it here. That's a quick way to inflate your era.
Speaker 1: I just.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, I think there's reasons to be concerned. There's not a reason to go to the media and be like, we think he's fat. Likes Yeah, so it was I think it was. John Parrato reported it, But there's been like other stuff around that that was the most sort of like we think he's out of shape or put on too much weight or whatever. But there was other stuff sort of hinting at that in the same I guess it's more than a news cycle. Now it's been a month or two.
Speaker 2: Of this.
Speaker 3: Where he's a big guy, right, like he's always been a big dude. I just, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: But not like a wide guy.
Speaker 3: I mean, not like a not like a wide guy. I guess he's built like I'm middle linebacker. He's broad shouldered and all.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's broad shoulder for sure. Yeah, I don't know. I mean, I guess I would generally say what you what you're saying in terms of the top line overstates kind of the peripheral decline. But there is some peripheral decline. There is some fastball anlosity stuff, and like you just look at if I just look at his stuff pro chart, he's got two pitches he actually uses that are above above average on his stuff, bro, and they're both sliders.
Speaker 3: Heavier and athletic.
Speaker 1: Is what the heavier and less athletic. Yeah, okay, you know his fastball is below average, his change up is below average.
Speaker 3: He's never like super popular.
Speaker 1: Stuff model, never like yeah, well no, it's never like the splinker, which was like his his super pitch for a bit. It liked some of the other stuff, and for it to be only two pitches and only sliders. Again, you don't you don't have to agree with this stuff model, this stuff model, or any stuff model, but it might explain kind of the limited he's Also, he's dropped a lot of ground ball rate. He's down to forty ground ball rate, so when he gets punished it's extra bases rather than right.
Speaker 3: But if he had a three point three or a three point four e R, I don't think it would be that fate still would.
Speaker 1: It keeps the vall, it keeps getting worse. I mean again, the Pirates fans that I that I see are kind of like it. It's just like he's not fully right. Why is he out there?
Speaker 3: They're still kindly, they're not even really in anymore. But like up until the last well weeks, they were.
Speaker 1: Sure, but I think over the last couple of weeks it's been kind of what, why are we continuing this charade when it's just like, let him take a breather. I guess I don't know if you've looked deeply into him, Zach.
Speaker 2: Or not, but like I did like a month or two ago, and I mean, the the things you find are just I did not go as deep as I think Alex Stumpf got like three D motion data, which is a great job, but no, I've not seen that. But his stuff is just watered down a little bit. His fast has never been some amazing shape. And when you take a.
Speaker 3: Couple of miles, people get real mad when you say that.
Speaker 2: Yeah you you you. You don't use the splinker as much. That played off it very nicely. He just becomes a more normal picture, a very good normal picture. But his stuff currently looks more like a normal pitcher. And I don't know. I think if there is a health reason that that's happening, yeah, maybe they should give him some time off. If it's like a mechanical thing and he just you know, I I think he could work through it and unlock the older way of pitching. Fine, like guys go through this. It's just that he's starting from such a pinnacle that we are monitoring it this way.
Speaker 1: I definitely think that's part of it. I do think there was also a sense, especially last year and the first part of this year, that like he decided to be a different pitcher every game, Like you know, some games he would just not throw his change up, he would not throw the splinker much, and it would just be like I can beat you this way. It was like he was twying with things. And then it was kind of like, well was he just is he not throwing it because it's not working now? And like that's a little more panic inducing when you go from the confidence of like I'm gonna choose which way I want to obliterate you to like, ken, is this working? Like and again you're you're right. You look at any of the more advanced metrics and it's just like this could be a reason. It could also be nothing. Right, Like you can look at and say, okay, his Z contact went up two percentage points from last year, which is not huge, but it's not nothing. It's also only a percentage point higher than it was his rookie year, where he was obviously fantastic, and that feels more like nothing. His zone ring is down two percent from either of the last two years, or three percent from his rookie year, and it's like, well, you know, maybe he's avoiding the zone because there's more Z contact, right, but like, is that working? Well? He's getting more chase than he did last year. But there's more contact on the chase than there was. It's not all whips, right, So it's like you can just you can go back and forth. None of it is very clear. It's very muddled.
Speaker 2: There's there's no smoking gun because there's no murder. He's still fine, you know, like no one's dead. I mean, I know the ubseet of this, the segment is he's dead, but he's he's not. It's just he's worse. I don't know. I don't want to minimize it because I think Pirates fans obviously have a very real reason to be worried about this and to to find this to be a big deal. I also think if you, if we like hit fast forward on life to next month or to next May, and you told me, oh, yeah, he has the exact same he Ra did the first two years, You're like, okay, yeah, that's fine, Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think maybe the way to look at it is worth worrying about, even if it's probably.
Speaker 2: Okay right, and it may torpedo, it may have torpedoed the Pirates season. That's the perfectly fair to be mad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there's so many reasons to be mad about the Pirates season. Uh, all right, let's go on to Around the Horn. I had not seen this. Actually, the Padres are officially sold. It was voted, okay, so congrats to uh was it Feliciano. I'm blanking on on his first name, and I will not forget his wife's person. I love that they always list them separately.
Speaker 2: Kwanza Jones, fantastic names.
Speaker 1: Phenomenal, Thank you, I mean, congratulations to the to the Padres fans out there. I mean, you know, we'll see, we'll see what it brings. It'll be interesting to see how he funds the team. He also was an owner of Chelsea, wasn't he.
Speaker 3: I believe there's so many people that own parts of various football clubs at this point.
Speaker 1: That yeah, I don't know if he still is, but he was, so, you know, he just you know, the NLS could be the NLS. Everyone in the NLS be a Chelsea fan. I guess I don't know. Uh, Max Freed has a bone bruise in his elbow. Uh. This this is related to the previous injury, wasn't it? And they were just will.
Speaker 3: Like I did not have any cognizance of Max Freed pitching for the Yankees, or how well he was doing this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when he's when he's pitching. Yeah, he's a good pitcher. I think. I think there was at least a hint of this before, and then he came back and was pitching, and people were like, if he pitches with a bone bruise in his elbow, isn't that just gonna get aggravated?
Speaker 3: Apparently it has.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, seemingly. I don't know, you got more of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like he gets this injury when he pitches, So there's a bit of a you know there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if the strategy is to test how long it takes before it becomes the problems so that they can see when to like activate him in the playoffs and then deal with it later. I don't know if if it is going to happen every time he pitches, they probably have to do something about that. But yeah, it really changes the way I view the Yankees if he is not involved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Carlos Rodon was back for them.
Speaker 2: I saw, uh yep.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's a complimentary or derogatory situation. Generally speaking, it's.
Speaker 2: A little bit of a Mario Warrio situation. See who shows up, You don't know what you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Get, you know. Obviously, Cam Schlittler and frankly Ryan Weathers have been Schlittler has been phenomenal, Weathers has been good, and they're both approaching, you know, the longest seasons they've ever had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is. It is like the Yankees are gonna make the playoffs, right, They're probably not going to catch the Rais, although it's not impossible, but they're gonna win like ninety two games and make the playoffs. And it just it feels like they're so like the sport does not orbit around them at all, like even in and like even in like a meaningful sense, right, Like they're just not even if they were having kind of like an okay but not great season, they were just.
Speaker 1: Being at least without Aaron Judge. Sure, there's a lot of gravity, there is, there's.
Speaker 3: Always Yeah, there's only so much you can make out of ten games of George Lombard Junior's DRS.
Speaker 1: I guess yeah, I can't. I can't get into defensive sample sizes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know whatever, It just feels like they're just like a generically good team now, right, Like they're closer to the Padres than they are to the nineties and two thousands Yankees.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think that's fair. I do think to that's point, like you go, you look at this team and a playoff rotation of Schlitzler Cole Weather's and I guess Rodan, you take your chance if it's a series that's actually that's very good. But to the point, Schlitzler will be in his longest season, Weathers has never thrown this many in means, I believe in a season he's up to one hundred.
Speaker 5: It's a good rotation, started the season late, which maybe is a good thing at this point.
Speaker 3: And how many of those has been good?
Speaker 1: By the way, I know Cole has been very good and ninety two to nineteen strikeout to walk create shield.
Speaker 3: And how many of you are they going to be clear favorites over Sunny Gray, Peyton Totley and Raner Suarez?
Speaker 1: No, probably not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the with with Schlitzler, Freed. You feel good about them against the Red Sox, against the Rays, against whoever you throw him up against Rich Schlittler and insert whoever afterward, I don't feel good.
Speaker 3: Like Ryan Weathers has a little bit of like the Hazes WIZARDO where it could just when it goes bad, it goes bad.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, Cole is the most convincing and I'm still not there.
Speaker 3: And Cole Lake, we know the like the cold tweet, right, like the cove He's got pitch six innings giving up six runs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but right I think Weathers is like a really great regular I don't know, I shouldn't say great, but like a really like a good regular season pitcher because like he can he can have those clunkers, but like if he's healthy enough to be on the mountain pitching and like over the course of a season, it's pretty good.
Speaker 2: M if you're gonna if you're gonna try to win the World Series, which is theoretically what the Yankees should be trying to do. Ryan Weathers should be the starter who's not good enough to start in the play.
Speaker 3: Should be in the David Peterson and move into the.
Speaker 2: Bullpender, the Patrick korby Justin Robleski. And he's not going to be doing that.
Speaker 1: Not available, No, I mean, well Will Warren will be doing that, and that's actually not that bad either. But but you would like to have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't want you don't want them coming in behind. Weather's already down three to one with the basis loaded either right.
Speaker 1: Well, and to your point about the Red Sox and their rotation you mentioned the Rays, zac, I mean they're gonna have health. You know, they're gonna have what is I forgot whether rasmuson or McClanahan got hurt recently, but one of the other ones, right, I mean, they have a decent top two as well, so well, they're all gonna have issues. But but without Max Freed, you don't necessarily favor the Yankees at least in those those pitching matchups. I mean, Rasmussen, McClanahan, Peralta for the Rays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we know what you think of the race.
Speaker 1: No, I'm I'm saying. I'm saying that that's not that's a that's a that stands up to what the Yankees have without Free. I'm saying that positively for the race. So yeah, I think it does. It does make a big difference. Uh. Lastly, tree Man Sini retires.
Speaker 3: What a story.
Speaker 1: I will lasting memory for me will be John Bernhardt's.
Speaker 3: G Yeah, and he had a he had a very nice career. I don't want to like, but yeah, that that is. Yeah, it's just a perfect moment in baseball Twitter history.
Speaker 1: Basically, Yes, just annihilated by a man who has immigrant.
Speaker 3: Song the opening Immigrants Sonnie on Andrew's head for the last three hours and he sure did.
Speaker 1: Which takes us to our game.
Speaker 3: We're doing trendy grid.
Speaker 1: This is Zach. Are you aware of trendy grid?
Speaker 3: I think they needed t You've done.
Speaker 2: Trendy grid grid with Patrick.
Speaker 3: Yes, So I will send you this not this one. I picked because I thought it would have a I thought it was fairly easy. And what has actually happened is there's a lot of good answers, but the good answers you pick might not be the right one. But I found I only got I thought I had five. I only got three when I actually clicked through and looked.
Speaker 1: So so I'm gonna do terribly.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so we're gonna get in the booth. We're gonna win the booth. Craig will go first, So you can take your headphones on the track or turn down or whatever I will. I will send it. I'll send it to the g chat.
Speaker 1: Okay, Patrick is getting this chest that's just the first one's gonna be thrilled. I'm gonna I'm gonna demand his answers later.
Speaker 3: Okay, Detroit and Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: That's a weird combo right off the bat. I'm not.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure. Oh man, who do I immediately go Detroit and Cincinnati. That's that's a weird combo.
Speaker 2: Boy, I I.
Speaker 4: I don't think.
Speaker 1: I can't think of any I'm gonna have to pass. I can't think of anyone right off the bat, I really can't.
Speaker 3: That's Detroit and the New York Mets. Okay, Detroit, Oh, Verlander Detroit?
Speaker 1: Sure? Wait? Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it? Sure?
Speaker 3: Which one do you want to pick? They both played for both teams?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I know that's what's What's it?
Speaker 4: Just?
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I'm gonna go Verlander. The problem is, I think the Mets side probably identifies Sure are more, but Detroit more Verlander?
Speaker 3: Anyway, go ahead, Detroit and under a three ra season.
Speaker 1: Oh so okay, I can I repeat. I'm just trying to think of who else I might want to Yeah, I'm just gonna pick.
Speaker 3: Forlander, Cincinnati and Toronto.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm, Cincinnati and Toronto.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm figuring out Cincinnati is like a weird spot for a dead spot for me.
Speaker 4: I know there's there's someone.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think that did j Bruce end up in Toronto?
Speaker 3: That would be a bad I literally tried to remember if.
Speaker 1: It feels like he almost certainly not. Uh?
Speaker 4: And like Adam Done didn't end up in Toronto.
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: And then you want to say, like one of.
Speaker 1: Those one of their pictures.
Speaker 4: Oh man, you know what I'm going with?
Speaker 1: Jay Bruce.
Speaker 3: Okay, Toronto and the New York Mets.
Speaker 1: Now, Jay Bruce did end up in the New York Mets. I'm pretty short. Yeah, But but Toronto, let's go with Carlos Delgado. I think that's a good choice.
Speaker 3: Blue Jay is an under three E R A. I think Royality, Red's and Marlins.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean, can I tell you the first first name that came to mind unhealthily? Dane Myers. Sure, I know, I know it's true. I know it's true. Reds and Marlins.
Speaker 4: Oh man, Oh no.
Speaker 1: Luis Caristillo never actually pitched for the Marlins. I don't think he was traded. I think he was traded. I don't know if he actually pitched for them. I'm trying to think who else was in that deal, because that might have been the more famous uh mm hmm, Frands's and Marlin's boy. Oh brother, I don't know Austin Kurns. I don't think he actually, I don't think he played for the Marlins.
Speaker 3: But I'm going to Marlin, Marlin's and Mets.
Speaker 1: God, I'm sure this is I keep thinking of Rays. I'm like, my mind is going to Kasmir and Zambrano is wrong Florida wrong, Florida franchise. Ah, jeez, let's say Louis Castilla.
Speaker 3: The other Louis Castilla.
Speaker 1: Sorry, yes, the second baseman Louis.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marlin's an under three E r A, that's.
Speaker 1: Andy al Contra.
Speaker 3: Right, true, I don't think.
Speaker 1: I guess I just passed on that.
Speaker 3: I don't have a I didn't think you did. I try to keep this moving along.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Am I supposed to be back?
Speaker 3: Yes, you're specially back. You have to beat I got to send this year too, but you have to beat three.
Speaker 1: Did I get three or is that just yours?
Speaker 3: Jeffrey, No, you also got three. You had totally different three than I do.
Speaker 1: I'll take it. I'll take it.
Speaker 2: It's fine.
Speaker 3: I don't have a way. Well, you're.
Speaker 1: No. I just thought of a good I mean, not a winning answer, good answer anyway.
Speaker 3: All right, I should send this to you, but we're already kind of like funny, so we'll just go in and see how you do it. Okay, did you send it to Zach or not?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I couldn't take his things an on top. Apparently right, you got it? All right, you have it in front of you for.
Speaker 2: Now. I see it.
Speaker 3: Yes, Detroit and Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Okay, uh mmm, I feel like there are a lot of players and they're all bad. First Baseman, that.
Speaker 1: Does describe the person I thought of belatedly.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be such a bad answer. Ah, Okay, I'm just gonna say I'm not afraid of Simon.
Speaker 1: First of all, I love that answer. I was gonna I didn't have an answer Zach, but I think belatedly I would have said I think Dimitri Young played for the Reds at some point, so I was.
Speaker 3: I will say I was surprised. I'll go over the answer to the end. I was surprised at who that this was the number one one until, like I remembered why he was a number one one Detroit and.
Speaker 2: The Mets, and the Mets, Curtis Granderson.
Speaker 3: Detroit and an under three e RA season, Justin Berlander, Blue Jays and Reds.
Speaker 2: You know, I feel like, well, no, he probably did.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: See the person I associate this is not my answer. The person I associate most of this is Joey Votto.
Speaker 3: But did he actually play for the Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I slammed my head and then I was like, wait a minute, he never actually got into a game.
Speaker 2: He didn't, he didn't play for them. So anyway, Oh god, I.
Speaker 1: Just remembered who did son of a bitch?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, if you want to let me know, I actually got this one.
Speaker 3: I was pretty happy. Let me let me address.
Speaker 1: Do you actually want a hint? It's a I don't think it's too heavy of a hint.
Speaker 4: Okay, do you want one?
Speaker 2: Not yet?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sure, give me a hint.
Speaker 1: Okay, uh. Missing it was a huge error on my part.
Speaker 2: Okay, so made a huge mistake. Well it didn't help that much.
Speaker 1: It's a hint, it's not you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did Scott Roland play? Let's go with Scott Roland. I don't remember if he played. He did?
Speaker 1: I think he did. That's a good answer.
Speaker 3: Blue Jays and Mets.
Speaker 2: M Noah cinder Goh he never played with the Blue Jays. Hang on, that's a trade answer. Uh uh, this is gonna feel stupid once I remember it.
Speaker 3: Oh horribly, Yeah, blue Jay is in Sub three e er a season.
Speaker 2: I think who would actually win this answer? People just gonna say Maybe people will just say Robbie Ray. Let's go with Robbie Ray.
Speaker 3: Marlins and Reds.
Speaker 1: Mmm mm hm.
Speaker 2: Not the most distinguished of franchises here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it occurred to me. The Reds were a real source spot for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Reds are the Reds are tough.
Speaker 3: You got this one too. I was pretty happy about it. It's the only one I could think of, and.
Speaker 4: It happened to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the only guy, the only guy I could think of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, you didn't think of Dan Myers.
Speaker 3: I did not think of Dan Myers.
Speaker 2: No, Craig, the only guy I'm thinking of is Jared Coe's art. So that's who we're gonna say.
Speaker 3: Marlins and Metz.
Speaker 2: Umm, Luis Castillo the Second Basement.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marlin's and Sub three era Jose Fernandez. Oh, congratulations, Craig, He wins three to one.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so uh I when I saw this was twenty six percent for Dodgers and Rights, I was like really, and then I was like, of course Tigers and Red Sorry uh Nicks, Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely definitely feeling dumb. He's just a Philly Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh So you would think Tigers and match would be either Sures or Verlander. I did think that it is neither. It is not Granderson either, which was a good answer.
Speaker 1: Was a good answer.
Speaker 3: Javier Bayaz for some reason. Okay, but but also like he was only there, like three Yeah, he was.
Speaker 1: Only a half season for a met that is that is interesting.
Speaker 3: Tigers and sub three r a is Verlander, h R Blue, Jason Red one Blue Jays and reds is and.
Speaker 1: One on that's error five that was.
Speaker 3: Jason mets Is are a Dickey, which I was a little.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, so I mean cinderguard, right, cinderguard.
Speaker 3: I figured, yeah, I figured like it would either Rays or Delgado, but it was not. It's not either of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that I'm I'm a little surprised. It's obviously, I said, we both said Delgado, Zach. I'm a little surprised.
Speaker 4: It's not Delado.
Speaker 2: He's the best player who played.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, Dicky makes sense.
Speaker 3: It's a big trade. He's coming off the saw Young I'm sure blue Jays and sub three ra is right Halliday, Marlin's and Red's is Johnnyquato. Yeah, okay, yeah, the only guy I could think of they like for both dames, I could not.
Speaker 2: I had nothing, Marlon not getting there.
Speaker 3: I think Luis Guestillo is a good answer. Jose Reis would have been a good answer. It is Mike Piazza, Sure, yeah, okay, yeah, Like I don't like I'm not and it's like not, it's twenty three percent, so it's not a low percent.
Speaker 1: That's what. Did he play? Seven games?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I guess like it's a fairly famous it's famous.
Speaker 1: Sure yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Marlin sub three e r a is Sandiel Contra.
Speaker 1: Okay, did Fernande? He was sub three? I'm that's must say. And I was like, oh, I'm surprised I didn't. I just straight up went to El Contra.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was more recent.
Speaker 1: H I did the the Blue Jays one. I also just went to Halliday before realizing like, oh, there's like a lot of guys I could pick from here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was trying to think of Dave Steve for a second and I was like, I don't think that's going to be the top answer.
Speaker 1: No, but like Clemens would have right, like he I'm assuming. Yeah, I'm for Toronto Henkin probably again. I don't know if that, but twenty one season, probably under three. I don't know. There's some options there. All right, Well i'll take it. I'll take the tie. I am interested. I know Patrick has seen I'm looking in the chat. I know he has seen the grid, so I'll be interested to see what he does. Well, we'll we'll quiz him next time around. Anyway. Thank you Zach for co hosting this episode. Thank you to our listeners for joining us on another episode of five and Dive brought to you by the Baseball Perspectives podcast Network. You can get in touch with the show at five and Dive at Baseball Perspectives dot com. We are wherever you get your podcasts. Search for Baseball Perspectives podcast network and we'll be in that feed. Thank you again, And if you've been waiting for the pod to be over, your time is now
Speaker 3: Actable Way who used to live