Speaker 1: Big Food and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo. These guys are your favorites, so like say subscribe and raid it Live.
Speaker 2: Stock and.
Speaker 1: Greatest on Yesterday and listening watching Limb always keep it squatchy.
Speaker 3: And now you're hosts Cliff Barrickman and James Bubo Fay.
Speaker 4: Clifford Bobo Erd, how are you doing?
Speaker 5: Uh just uh enjoying the day?
Speaker 4: Nice?
Speaker 5: Well cool? We should get to the squatchy part.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, this is of course our our This isn't a Q and A. This is our semi occasional topical episodes, a nice topical thing you want to rub all over your arms and shoulders, where we take on topics and things that we find interesting. Because what we how we do this is, you know, like Bobo and I were avid readers, were check out the news all the time, and whenever something crosses our desk that we think is interesting and the least slightly pertinent to our favorite subject in the world sasquatch, we send it to Matt Prud, our producer, the levely and talented Matt Prude, of course, who has a new book out everybody should good buy. And then he puts all these things together and we just kind of pick and choose. Hey, here's a news article that we enjoyed and we think is interesting. We discussed it for a while, so it's our topical episode. Welcome to our topical episode. So, Bobo, do you want to start? Does our a particular news I didn caught your attention or do you want me to go first?
Speaker 5: Well, I think I brought it up before.
Speaker 2: I think we I brought it up, but I didn't have The article in front of you was polar bear are throwing rocks and chunks of eyes to hunt walruses and seals. And I remember hearing that and I was like, oh, how to be a sasquatch? And they just mistook it for a squat for.
Speaker 5: A bear, polar bear or whatever.
Speaker 2: And then I also guys telling me both these were around here up in Humble area. One guy telling me a bear, a black bear threw a stump at him, like a chunk of a stump at him, like picked up to his legs and his front reared up on his back legs and picked up his front legs and like checked it at him. And he said it went like twelve to fifteen feet in the air. Like not like just you know laterally like it didn't almost hit him or nothing. And then I knew another guy that said a bear picked up a big rock and like threw in his direction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and you know, well, just straight to the source here. It's from Smithsonian magazine and the title of the articles polar bears take down walruses by hurling rocks and ice. New research corroborates Inuit knowledge of the animals cleverly using new tools, and certainly, if polar bears are doing this, other species of bears are very very very likely doing this as well. And some of the interesting takeaways for me, at least from this article is that, first of all, the native people in the area knew they did it. Duh, yeah, duh. Exactly. If you want to know what's going on in the woods, ask a native person. They have tens of thousands of years of history in that particular area.
Speaker 5: I spent three months there with my grad student. You know, I'll tell you.
Speaker 4: What's exactly exactly three months versus ten twenty thirty thousand years. Come on, yeah, yeah, of course. And of course it was documented. It was documented in eighteen sixty five. Some dude Charles Francis Hall was his name. An Arctic explore, he published an Inuit account. So he published a Native account of a polar bear attacking walruses, and he wrote about it, and he published it and talking about how he hurled the polar bear hurled a large rock down upon the walrus and basically crushing his skull. So, and of course Native people knew about this, they had seen these things before. So I think there's a couple of lessons here. Number one, Yeah, native knowledge. Listen, listen, listen to it. It's important they generally know what's up, you know. And on top of that, I've heard so many big footers, and I believe I've even said it too, that sasquatches are the only thing out there throwing rocks. And clearly I'm wrong, and everybody else who said that are also wrong.
Speaker 2: Well, it depends that define well, I mean not defined, but it depends. I mean, they're not throwing them forty yards or forty feet. I mean they're throwing them kind of down, you know, kind of they need they need the vertical height to get you know, any distance.
Speaker 5: It seems like, I mean, when.
Speaker 2: Squashes are throwing rocks, I mean they're you know a lot of times they're whizzing by stuff like that. Bears not doing those kind of rock throwers, but like those bigger rocks, mean they can kind of come rolling down it, like you hear them crashing down a hill like they got that that could definitely be a bear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it seems like most of the throwing going on with these bears is kind of downwards, like toppling things off the side of cliffs or whatever and then crushing their prey down below. These you know, twenty thirty fifty mile an hour fastballs coming in, going through the tree tops and hitting stuff above you. I'm still inclined to think that those are sasquatches.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, undoubtedly. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So anyway, you have two big takeaways. Yeah, bears, they turn out they throw rocks. Go figure. And by the way, with accuracy. I thought that was another interesting thing. Here. Let's see I want I'm kind of scrolling through the article here. Let me find where it says this.
Speaker 2: It says the bear bounts the cliff and throws down upon the animal's head a large rock, calculating the distance and the curve with astonishing accuracy, and this crushing the thick, bulletproof skull all described.
Speaker 4: In his astonishing accuracy. I love it, And of course, you know, I don't know, Maybe I just have different well I certainly have different opinions than a lot of people or whatever. But the scientists, they said the most significant part of this is that a bear is able to look at a situation, think of it in a three dimensional space, and then figure out what it might have to do to be successful. Really is that the most like, I don't know, I think they're underestimating bears.
Speaker 5: Oh dude, everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo. Will be right back after these messages. So three to six months doesn't seem like a long time right in bigfoot Land. It's not very long because we've been looking for sasquatches for decades and decades and decades. But when you think about what can happen in three to six months, like, what would you do in three to six months? I'm going to give me six months go squatching squad of course, of course, and how much do you think is going to get done during that time? In squatching you're gonna see one in six months? Probably not but in three to six months, what you can see if you're not going to see a sasquatch is thicker, fuller hair regrown from hyms our sponsor HYMNS. Not bad for just three to six months.
Speaker 2: What if you start using HYMNS now in six months, just imagine that thick, full.
Speaker 5: Crop up there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because HYMNS will give you a convenient access to a range of hair loss treatments that work all from the comfort of your couch.
Speaker 2: They make it pretty simple, man. They use real doctors. It's clinically proven ingredients and they use like finesteride and monoxaville.
Speaker 4: And I love that. I did no doctor visits because first of all, doctors who wants to go see a doctor? Nothing personal doctors. But also you make an appointment now you get in August or something. Forget that. So this process is simple and one percent online. And I know you have access to the internet because you're listening to us right now.
Speaker 2: You can pick how you want to do it, like chewables, oral spray, serum treatments, whatever, whatever you want. I mean, they can work with you in customersage with your preferences.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like it could be a one time thing. It could be ongoing care. No insurance is needed at all, and it's all at one low price and that covers everything from these treatments to the ongoing care.
Speaker 2: If you so choose, well, then why I said, the proofs in the pudding, And there's hundreds of thousands of subscribers that trust it and you know, give it positive reviews.
Speaker 5: So there you go. There's your pudding.
Speaker 4: Thick hairy search for free online visit today at hymns dot com slash beyond.
Speaker 2: That's hi ms dot com slash beyond for your personalized hair loss treatment options.
Speaker 4: Hymns dot com slash beyond.
Speaker 3: Results vary based on studies of topical and oral monoxidal and finasteride Prescription products required an online consultation with a healthcare provider who will determine if prescription is appropriate. Restrictions apply. See website for full details and important safety information.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean scientists and a lot of people in general. Under stuty animals is that chimpanzees combined calls to communicate new meaning. I mean, that doesn't surprise me at all. It's like, yeah, I mean, of course.
Speaker 4: They do, yeah, of course, of course, And of course this was published on fizz dot org. Like fizz as in short for physics dot org. It is a great science blog and they routinely publish a lot of articles that I know that I'm interested in. And so yeah, again, scientists are underestimating these animals, and I see this all just scientists, by the way, It's just people underestimating these animals all the time. And that's why I get so perturbed. My feathers get all a fluff when people say, well, if you think these sasquatches are just big dumb apes, well they're big, and I think they're apes, but they're not dumb. And it kind of shows how little people understand how fantastic and what high level of cognition these other are are brethren these other ape species have. Yeah, they communicate. Yeah, they're basically talking to each other to some degree. And you know, birds talk to one another, but an entire song will will express a meaning, you know, and humans we have things that express meaning and we can rearrange them. So are our language ability is a little bit different than theirs because it's a little bit more advanced. But to think that chimpanzees were not capable of that, I think that's kind of ridiculous, you know. I mean, chimpanzees are extraordinarily intelligent animals. They're not the smartest of the apes generally speaking, for problem solving skills. That's that trophy goes the orangutan from what I understand from my reading. But chimpanzees are very, very intelligent, so of course they wouldn't just express a mood or express a thought. They would probably rearrange it to express higher level, more complex thinking that they are clearly capable of.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it was like, well, as you're talking about not the most intelligence species, what was it? If you give a gorilla a screwdriver, he'll forget what it was. But if you give it chimpanzee a screwdriver, he'll he'll figure out how to stab you with it. If you give it to an orangutan, he'll figure out how to escape with it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, they don't even need a screw drivers. I mean, their their hands are so strong they can actually undo the bolts and whatever their in their enclosures. They people and zoo keepers in general have a very difficult time keeping orangutans in the cage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I've seen videos of that. God I wish I could remember that saying. Our guests a couple weeks ago told us that one about the screwdrivers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and gorillas. They just kind of like give up on it. They said, who cares man? So I kind of like that kind of like the grill attitude, like who cares man?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, But you know, as far as getting back to the article here about the combination of calls with chimpanzees, how many times, Bobo, have you heard a combination of noises being omitted by a purported sasquatch?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Several?
Speaker 4: Well, Well, describe tell us, tell them, tell us what what you heard?
Speaker 5: Please.
Speaker 2: I can't describe the sounds, but I mean it was like it was definitely put together a different guy.
Speaker 5: I even know how to explain it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I've only really heard them do one or two noise like a rizon who like that kind of stuff and with the end going like that, like kind of that warbly thing that is very often associated with the vocalizations. But I can't think of any time I've heard them do something like, uh, well, I have knocks and whoops. I've heard those things together, whistles and whoops. No, no, I'm sorry, whistles and knocks. I've heard that as well, but I can't think of like them going or anything like that, like changing the actual but caluisation being exhibited.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess one thing I noticed is at the end of the Ohio House, like the drop off that weird warbly part at the end.
Speaker 5: I've noticed that's gonna be different, for sure.
Speaker 2: I wonder how length of the call, like when they just go, like when they do those like twelve second whoa versus like a five second or a four second one.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've heard a variety of that sort of thing, but never never a combination of different sounds. Never in that sort of way, you know, So it makes you wonder, well.
Speaker 2: Samurai chatter, I mean that when I've heard that, that's like a bunch of different sounds.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, see, I've never heard that though I've only heard the recordings, and so far that's a sample set of one. I want to I'd like to hear it for myself or hear a slew of other recordings so I can, you know, learn a little bit more about what might be going on there.
Speaker 2: Right, It's gonna be interesting to see this AI is in these quantum computers and stuff get put to this stuff, like what they're going to figure out like with all the analyzation of all the calls, and there should be some good breakthroughs.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this idea of combining meaningful vocalizations, you know, if we do it, we clearly do it, and chimpanzees do it, then our last common ancestors about six million years ago, give or take a little give or take a few months, so they did it too, So everything passed the everywhere in between here and there, they probably did it as well. They probably did as well, which of course means australopithes scenes and all of our course, the other hominin's and all that sort of stuff. But it makes me kind of wonder since I've never heard sasquatches do it, it means it doesn't mean they don't do it. Of course, some people think that these are pretty much silent species, which I think is kind of a ridiculous statement, knowing what we know about vocalizations at this point. But yeah, I would think, yeah, it seems to be ignoring a lot of the data, that's for sure, But I don't know. I'd like to hear a vocalization of multiple sounds multiple what was the word I'm looking for compositions, I guess, but I'm not aware of any vocalization recordings of that. But then again, maybe they're just not trying to express anything with that, or maybe I'm overthinking it, and that's exactly what the whoops and knocks or the whistles and knocks are.
Speaker 2: I still I can't wait till we figure out how many knocks means.
Speaker 4: What or if that's even consistent.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, yeah, it doesn't mean anything at all. It's just like one guy bangs three times, they got banks once or four times or whatever. It's suspended because these more hyper he's got more testosterone, or she's more talkative.
Speaker 5: Or you know, quote unquote talkative.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's uh, I can't I just can't wait till we start learning this stuff, you know, instead of just speculating all the time.
Speaker 4: Well, hopefully we're learning a little bit now, but with you know, good record taking and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: But speaking and then we got another another article about underestimating that's the homo the lady about how they're intelligence. They had a brain went through the size of the of a human like us, but it turns out they are more complex thinkers than we gave them credit for, or like with the whole burials and the hashtags and the symbols.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course, and this is from the Rising Star Cave in South Africa, and this is on ABC News is abcnews dot go dot com. Article published in early June about homon Alidi, of course, which is another human name, not maybe not ancestor, but human relative. It's a hominin for sure. And these things were kind of small, and they're very archaic in a lot of ways. They showed a lot of characteristics of early hominins, but also some things with later homonyms. So there, and of course there's a lot of interesting things about homon Alidi. First of all, all of the fossils from this one's species have been found in one place, in one place only, the Rising Star Cave in South Africa. So and this one find, of all these different hominin fossils, I believe more than doubled all of the hominin fossils in the world. So now one, this one particular find, gave us more hormon fossils in one find than we had collected in the previous one hundred and fifty years' Well, really, what's really amazing about it to me is the scarcity of fossils. Yeah, yeah, because it turns out there aren't that many fossils people. I think that we hear about them so much, and we get this idea that we have all these different fossils and all these different examples of all these different hominins, and it's just simply is not true. It just simply is not true. We have barely any you know, of the billions of these different animals that existed, we have barely any. I was talking about this in the shop the other day, is people, how come there's not more fossils? And you know, yeah, that whole thing that we get all the time. And I brought up the idea of Trannosaurus rex. You know, everybody knows about t rexes, you know, Jurassic Park and all that jazz in. A recent study suggested that there were a couple billion of these over time. And to my knowledge, and I believe I'm correct on this, and if I'm not, please let me know. I don't mind. I don't mind being wrong. From what I understand, we have yet to find one fleet skeleton. So all of the rearticulated fossil skeletons of Tyrannosaurus rex are composites of different animals put together. But even though there are billions of these things over time, we have yet to find one complete fossilized skeleton. And a lot of that is true of hominins as well. Oh yeah, there's always bones missing, always bones missing. But back to the homo on Alite things. There seem to be deliberate scratch marks on the wall inside this cave system, and there's triangles, there's hashtag signs. We don't know what then, We have no idea what these carvings with these scratch marks mean, but it seems to be that these were used by homon Alidy for something. So there's some sort of symbolic thought going on here, some sort of symbolism, which is one of the defining characteristics of what humans are about really for the most part, although that again, that line is very much blurred every time we learn something new about another one of these animals, whether we're talking about ravens or other covids or dolphins or something else that like, oh, yeah they do that too, Yeah, yeah, maybe humans aren't aren't as special as we thought.
Speaker 5: They're the first social media presence hashtag in those graves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess so. I guess so Hashtag and Aliti they.
Speaker 2: Lined up the yeah, because they scratched it into the rock surface, and they line up right over the each one lines up over a grave.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm going to read a paragraph out of this real fastest, and what I like about is this. The finding was striking and shocking and erases the idea of human exceptionalism that humans are different than animals and special due to their big brains. Home On Alite had brains about the size of a chimpanzee, and yet practice ritual burials, a behavior previously assumed was only done by humans. Lee Burger says, Lie Burger is the name of the paleoanthropologist who's in charge of this entire dig. But again, I don't know. I'm not sure. I have totally one hundred percent agree with everything he just said there, because I think that, yeah, are they actually is this actually examples of ritual burials because they're scratching on the wall. I don't know, we don't know that. I think it's very possible. I'm not saying it's not. But I think that perhaps at this point, maybe it's a little early. I don't know, what do you feel about that, Bobo a little maybe a bit earlier? Yeah, I mean I think it's very possible and a super intriguing idea. But again, it's to say it is that this is ritual burials. I don't know. Maybe maybe it's like, oh, dude, there's a dead thing there, let's scratch the wall there because it stinks. Who knows?
Speaker 5: So wanting to sign up to step in it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. You don't want to step in that, man.
Speaker 5: I mean, how often are we going to find another thing like that to corroborate?
Speaker 4: You know, like, no, I would love to How about how fantastic would it be to find another cave system or another example, any other example of homoog.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, just if we have something to compara in another cave, so it would be we'd get some answers then, And.
Speaker 4: You know, there's a lot of speculation. He goes on, say they've made they might have even been placing artifacts in graves with the bodies, but no examples have been found to that. But you know, what that does show is that I mean, I think it's a pretty safe bet at this point to say that sasquatch brains proportional to their bodies are are barely larger than chimpanzees. Okay, they're big animals, and therefore they have big brains. But you know, whales have real big brains too, and of course whales are real, real smart. But the larger the animal, the larger the brain is going to be. But that doesn't necessarily equate with higher level thinking or symbolic thought, or intelligence or problem solving or any of those things, because there's a certain certain amount of mass in the brain that is required to run a larger body. It's just a fact. And by looking at the Patterson Gimlin film subject and comparing it to like other skulls, like there's doctor Meltrim is a great presentation where he lines up the skull of paranthropist boise I and shows that it is exactly exactly proportional to the Patterson Giblin film subject face like the mouth, the chin, the nose, the zygomatic arches, everything about it, the orbital's eye sockets, everything lines up exactly. And I find that to be pretty pretty interesting. And also but you can see that that wonderful composite photograph. Where the sasquatch in the in the PG film is turning its head, you can see huge psygomatic arches, a very very flat face, very very congruent to the the paranthropists, which I really like that idea about it. Clearly the thing doesn't have a huge brain in there. It does not have a huge brain because most of the heads seems to be taken up by chewing structures. That's what zygomatic arches are, That's what sagital crests are. They are anchoring points for muscles. So that that gives us a little insight into what sasquatches are doing out there. They're chewing on big, heavy things. They're they're they're eating things that are pretty tough to chew. In other words, probably bark and in the Cambian layer of trees and you know, all sorts of things that are just kind of hard to get your teeth into. You can see that in the PG film. And so there's not a lot of room left in the cranium for the brain. And also the way that the face is, as I mentioned, very very flat, and then the forehead retreats. Really, I think Grover Krantz noted that it retreats an almost ninety degree angle above the brow ridges. There's not a lot of room in there for the frontal part of the brain that makes us so human in so many ways. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't have symbolic thought, or that they aren't strategic thinkers, or that they don't see their environment in a three dimensional actually four dimensional way like planning ahead for example, like these other animals like chimpanzees and stuff too. I think that it gives us some indication, but it isn't an end all be all to the thinking capabilities of sasquatches.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just like an engine compartment, Dude. You can look at a Super the way they put their engine in, or a Porsche or a Chevy. I mean, it's given you powers, it's getting the job done. But the layouts different, the physical layouts. So maybe they got something like.
Speaker 5: That, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, And I think that's the big takeaway from this particular article about home and Aliti, is that small brained. Yeah, it's an indicator, but it's not the end all be all it doesn't tell us everything we need to know about him. And again, I think, as you mentioned, it kind of goes towards underestimating what the other critters are doing than creators. I mean, any other primate, you know, it underestimates what might be going on inside their brain, and perhaps maybe a little less underestimating them and perhaps overestimating ourselves. Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo. Will be right back after these messages. But you know, one final comment on this home and a laity thing. Lee Berger, of course is the anthropologist, a paleoanthropologist in charge of this whole dig, and hats off to him, hard hats off to him really because he's a splunker. Now he had to lose a lot of weight to get into this cave. Yeah, how's that, man? I mean, that's that for dedication. I mean, you've done that, you know how this it's not not easy to do bobs.
Speaker 2: And he's still and he's still I mean he still got hurt trying to He forced himself through so so determined torres rot in her cuff and dislocated his shoulder.
Speaker 4: I couldn't even imagine doing that dude, I can know how stressful would that be? Just like I get a little claustrophobic nowadays, you know. Yeah, as I grow older, certain fears pop up in me that didn't exist before. You know, claustrophobia is one of them.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I look back at finding bigfoot, climbing all these trees and stuff that you guys had me do. I don't think I could do that now. Man, this fear of heights things kind of taken over too. Damn.
Speaker 5: I'm a little more cautious.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, Well I've said it before, is that I don't know if I can ever forgive Melissa for giving me a reason to live. Yeah, before I didn't give a damn.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: It's like, yeah, I'll do that whatever. It's a cool way to die if I have to go. You know, it's better than you know, dying in a hospital with tubes up all my orifices if that's the word. I'm not sure what plural of orifice is. But anyway, but but nowadays, like gosh darn it, there's a reason for me to go home.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that's a good reason.
Speaker 4: And sochi, yeah, and sochi and sochi. But you know, I'm honestly, Melissa has taken the number one slot there. So getting married though, you know, it's one of the I mean, I'm already married, of course, hobbies you are. Yeah, I gonna do it again. Can't get married too much? Yeah, yeah, no, but Mellis and I are married. But yeah, that reminds me, Bobo, didn't you almost get married once? It's some Tahitian woman.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, we were down in Tahiti.
Speaker 4: Yeah so you got you did almostly. I've heard stories of this, but I'd like to hear it straight from your mouth, and I think this is a good opportunity for a Bobo story. Time wall agather around.
Speaker 5: It's Bobo story, dude. He's going to see some things that'll bo.
Speaker 2: Classic.
Speaker 3: Any scene he's flying, He's gone a kid kill me once again, it's Bobo story. Any description of felonious or criminal activity is being told here strictly for entertainment purposes, and is in no way an admission of guilt or even true for that matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I almost did get married and inadvertently down Tahiti. We were down there in eighty six for the World Championships at Outrigger Canoes like Polynesian canoes like Hawaii five o and uh they're like six mankates six man canoes and we had one man's and twelve man's like double old canoes. So we were down there racing. It was it was rad and uh, we were staying. They had a standing in a village. We were just staying in empty school because it's so expensive down there. We just like were just laying on like little pads and just you know, just had a sheet because it's so warm and you just it.
Speaker 5: Was it was chilling. But we lived with the villagers.
Speaker 2: We weren't near any of the tourist areas, and uh, every day we'd go down like we were like celebrities there. Our canoes in Tahiti's like it's like football, basketball, and baseball bix together. Here. It's like ninety plus percent of the population active the participating member of a canue club. Like the old people like you know, help it's a big deal. It's like their whole culture is how they lived. It was life or death if you had a canoe or not. You know, to fish and go to island, the island and all that. So we're down there and I'd go to this one, I'd help. I'd help the women pull in the nets. Every day they'd set up these saying nets, you know, they'd swim them out and then swim around it. We'd all pull them up on the beach and they they talk to me, and I just laugh and smile, and I didn't know what the hell they were saying, and they didn't know what I was saying, but we just point and laugh and make, you know, hand gestures or whatever.
Speaker 5: And they'd always like, they'd always like, bring this one little chevy girl.
Speaker 2: She was like five foot tall and just a little butterball, big smile, like super friendly. So every day I was down there, you know, for like a couple of weeks and be like, you know, I'd be talking to them and they'd bring you know, they always push a little girl up front.
Speaker 5: I'm like, oh, good morning, how are you?
Speaker 2: And I knew how to say that kind of stuff by that point. And then they'd say things to me and ask me questions and I'd go yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Well I didn't find out till later because we were getting ready when we were going to go over to Maria, the other island off Tahiti, and the chief of the village pulled my passport, wouldn't give it back because apparently I had agreed, because then we brought it in a translator.
Speaker 5: It was actually Marlon Branda's son. Really, yeah, he was our translator, and he came.
Speaker 2: He came over and he was just like he just starts laughing and laughing and pointing at me and the points at the girl and he goes, you're engaged. He's like, you've been telling them all the last couple of weeks you're going to marry her. I'm like, why No, I was just been saying good morning and stuff like. He's like, no, dude, they've been they said, they've gone over the plans with you multiple times, and you keep agreeing.
Speaker 5: I was like, no way. Then the old ladies talking to the mom and it was the mom and the grandma and the little girl. Well that's who was there. Every day.
Speaker 2: Those three would come up to me, usually the mom and grandma first, and they'd call a little girl.
Speaker 5: Over and yeah. I was just like I wasn't thinking anything like that. And then I was like what, no, No, I was just trying to be polite, and he goes, well, you agreed, like the chiefs holding you to it. You're not leaving. They're not going to let you leave. And I was like whoa dude, Like this is not good.
Speaker 2: Some of the men came over and her, like grandpa and dad and nouveles. They came over and like I was real popular in the in the village, like they all loved me. But they were all like going, like you you're not leaving. And then they came up and the grandpa and the dad and some munveles that are like going, uh, well you like to surf, you know, because you know they know I served, and so I was like yeah. So they said, well, we're gonna you get five acres because the natives can just go and take empty if there's somewhere there's nothing built, they can go and claim five acres and build a house on it and it's there, or build a shock whatever.
Speaker 4: I like a different homesteading ap sort of thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And so there's a spot Hypedia it is this left reef break that is like a world class surf spots, one of the famous sport. I mean, everyone knows about Chopu, but there's another spot on the other island that's real popular too, and they're like, you can have five acres of beach front. And they hooked me up with this half French, half Tahitian guy that had a electric he was an electrician, he had one of the only electrician businesses in TI the Islands, and he's all, yeah, he's gonna he agreed to hire you. And I started thinking like maybe I could get married, you know, and serve. And I was like, it was like having five acres of a tropical surf spot would would have been pretty epic. But so then they said, yeah, well you go over to Hippati and you can check it out. They wanted me to go over there with the family, a couple of family members, and I was like, man, this is not happening. So we got done with the racings. The racing season was over, and so the World Championships was done, and we had we still had like a I don't know, like a week to go or something. So we're just like, oh, let's let's go out to Maray, you know, and take the ferry over there, and and everyone else flew over there, but then I wasn't allowed to leave. I didn't have my passport, so I ended up talking to some guys got a chipped on the on the freighter that brings supplies because we were dialing with the locals like we were like, dude, we were like rock stars down the under them. So we ended up going there that we sneaking the club med. Like the the guys like all security, local guys like knew who we were. They let us sneaking a club ed and like you didn't need any might even just eat and drink, and so we're just parting it up. So we were just trying to find like single girls that we could look up with so we'd have a place to stay. And so I ended up meeting these girls from Missouri. Their their family owned the biggest bank in private bank in Missouri or whatever the like the three states around there or whatever, and so they had tons of money and they had like the big suites, and so that ended up being there's two sisters that me and my buddy.
Speaker 5: Crash over there. And then they gave us like a.
Speaker 2: Bunch of their points like drink ticket stuff like whatever, like you get these shells or beads whatever, these beads, and so we were we were just like partying down and then they had an arm wrestling and beer drinking contests had like slamm beer then do an arm wrestle.
Speaker 4: And well that is Bobo written all over it right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were just u in there and and uh being another guy Kevin accidentally like injured the guys that we were we were going against. And uh, this one dude, he was he was totally buff and he was like he was an Asian guy.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 5: He was Filipino. I remember his mom was Filipino's. Dave was English.
Speaker 2: He was real tall, but he had like real thin bone structure like, and he was so buff. He built up way too much muscless. What the doctor said later was he built up way too much muscle for his skeletal frame.
Speaker 5: He was just ripped. He was. He was. He was a paddler with us, and so like they said go, he.
Speaker 2: Went full bore and there was two teams racing and his arm, dude, like it sounded like a gunshot went off.
Speaker 5: I just froze.
Speaker 2: It's it's just it was just crap. It'sund like a thirty odd to six. And his face he was dark. He was real dark skinned, like you know, he was real tan, dark skin, and he literally was the first time I seen someone turned white like that, like just turned like all of like just like in the second his face turned white. He lets out this horrific scream and all of a sudden, his arm like let go his arm it what had happened was the bone, so the humors was snapped in half and well it snapped clean through in two different spots, and then his muscles just flung his arm up like behind his twisted it behind his back of his hand slapped him in the back of it his the back of his hand slapped in the back of his head.
Speaker 5: Ah, and then he just fainted and dropped.
Speaker 2: But the other guy that got hurt wasn't with us, like he wasn't one of us, and his elbow snapped where you get Tommy John surgery that uh, you snapped your the elbow ten and ligament.
Speaker 5: That guy's arm snap too.
Speaker 2: And then so then they were like, oh, so they grabbed me the other guy that we're armed wrestling, and they brought us into the offices to fill out paperwork for the insurance like.
Speaker 5: Okay, who are you guys? What room are you in? It?
Speaker 2: We were like giving fake answers like what and then they started realizing we weren't from there, and they called They had some French guys like security working inside, like there were the Tahitian guys that there was. There was a few French. The French owned Club Bend. So it's like guys from France that spoke French. They were or they all speak French there. But so they were like they put us under arrest and put us in this room and then they locked it.
Speaker 5: All up, and it was like a really nice dream. It was like a Plantations like plantation.
Speaker 2: Style, and it was just this beautiful, like well decorated room, like nice hardwood, like teaque furniture and wow.
Speaker 4: So even even the jail at Club med is nice.
Speaker 5: It was it was the it was this.
Speaker 2: It was the manager's office whoever was like the head person of the whole place's office, and they brought us in there because we were filling out they want us to. It was like at midnight or one in the morning, so they locked us in and part of the lock in thing was like they had those storm shutter windows you don't sell, like those hurricane shutters or storm shutters, yeah, fuller, So like they just had like a little lock on them. So we just went up and broke it down and jumped out the windows and so we escaped. We were like wanted we were like they were looking for us. So the locals helped us get off.
Speaker 5: The island, just took the barge back. That took a little little mission, and.
Speaker 2: So then I had to go back, and then I was trying to get my passport to get out of there.
Speaker 5: So we went back and then we ended up.
Speaker 2: I can't remember exactly how I got my I got my passport back. Oh yeah, I agreed to marry her, but I was going to go home and get more money and bring my parents back and flat back. So I left, like I couldn't go back, but I could go back. Now it's been like thirty years whatever, but almost forty Jesus thirty seven years. So anyways, yeah, I agreed to all this stuff, and they were like they had a party for me before I left, you know, like coicked up a pig and all this, and so I was he said, yeah, I will be back. I can't wait to be part of the family. My parents are gonna love all of you. And I'm going to go back and get go to the bank and get more money and come back. And so I left and then I actually had some mail correspondsible like they had like someone right for him, like translate it.
Speaker 5: It's like where are you? You know you promised us and you know, guilt tripped me.
Speaker 2: And then they were like sent me that kind of threatening letters and if I ever come back, they're gonna take care.
Speaker 5: Of me in a not a good way.
Speaker 4: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo. We'll be right back. After these messages. Ended up not marrying this woman. I wonder where she is now. Was he kept in touch?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Then so when I got I finally got my passport and I barely made it for our flight because we had a chartered plane.
Speaker 5: Well, because we didn't drink dude from January first until the Championships at the end of July, like we weren't we couldn't have one beer the whole time. So we we did do the whole Nationals, like the whole team, the US guys, we none of us drank a beer the whole time. So when we got done with the racing, we just started partying like hard.
Speaker 2: So on the way back we had a chartered seven forty seven, and I was I was getting pretty Me and another guy went up and stole the well that we charted the back half of the plane. The front half was like normal people, like regular people, and like the first class. I went to the first class tod and just grabbed the liquor cart and just ran back of it, rolled it back, running back into the into the coach where we were just started. I just started throwing handfuls of mini bottles to everybody and throwing out beers, and you know, it caused a full scene. And then then I started a dog pile, jumping on this one guy, like dog pile and like I ended up breaking three seats.
Speaker 5: In a row.
Speaker 4: Probably couldn't get away with that nowadays, no, dude.
Speaker 2: Then they ended up they ended up taking me and they were gonna they were gonna divert the plane in Hawaiian and Hawaiian have me, and like about five or six other guys arrested, and uh yeah, we were we were housed, man, We were just three sheets to the wind. And then so they ended up putting those jump seats that the stewardess sit in looking backwards. They strapped me into one of those and put on some little cheesy hand like cinch ti thing, and I had to sit and if I got out out of my seat, I was there going to divert the planet and have me arrested in Hawaii. So I had to sit there and like everyone's throwing stuff at me the whole time and heckling me, and he deserved it.
Speaker 4: Oh, I totally did remind me to go in front of you in line if we ever go through customs together again.
Speaker 2: Did you remember coming out of China, Bunny Maker, that was he throws his carry on case up there and it's just filled like that vision thermal imagers.
Speaker 4: Oh, that was in Dubai. Man, it was both.
Speaker 5: It was China. It was China and Dubai.
Speaker 4: I just remember like in Dubai where they pulled them over, so to speak, and we're upset about all the technology he had and and then you thought it was a good idea to snap a picture and the flash went off. Yeah, oh man, that was that was kind of scary.
Speaker 2: Man, they got they got chapped. The China part was that took way longer. That was like a thirty five forty minute hit. Bunny Maker through that one and kept going like.
Speaker 5: A television star, and international television started.
Speaker 2: Like what he's like, I looked for yah En big Foot YETI and they're like because they didn't really speak English. Those guys they're like soldiers or whatever like and I explain, like I'm just watching them trying to explain, like you know it, it's all frustrated people think he talks like that was just one of the funniest things.
Speaker 4: We had trouble getting the batteries out, the lithium batteries for the cameras, so Adam Vosky almost had to stay in China with those because they're so expensive and that that we had our time getting them out, even though we got them in, but that was a complication. And then of course you and I thought it was a good we were flying first class and I wasn't used to first class. I'm still not, but we've got to fly first class over there, which was cool. But part of the deal with first class is at these lounges you can go into and there's free food, and there's free drinks, and there's places that you can shower. I mean, there's private, there's there's it's weird, you know, it's how the other half lives. But you and I went in the lounge and we're thinking, oh, our poor producer friends have to plot fly coach for all the way back. So we just thought we thought it was a good idea to put a bunch of free beer in our backpacks and we're going to distribute them amongst the production so they didn't have to pay for a couple of beers on the way back since we got all this free beer. And then you and I had backpacks just full of beer cans. And of course they decided to search us on the on the way back in the plane, and they they were just bummed and disappointed. I mean, the I don't know what the Chinese equivalent of TSA is, but they looked at us in a very disapproving manner. I know in my backpack I had thirteen beers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that was what the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that they weren't very happy with us leaving China. They're probably happy that we're leaving, but it was a little sketchy man because they could pull you over and keep you for practically nothing there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was they let you know, like like discovery.
Speaker 2: They lady to me like five times before, like the week before we left, Like I got calls from like Keith and Margie and whoever else, like the leg like uh Marylands, like Lelald Department, going like Bubbo, you have to keep it. Like they are so worried at getting like doing something like get thrown in jail down there. They's warning like we don't have the pull down it like we do other places. You are on your own if you get busted or something we can't get. Yeah, and we got what we got there. You you could tell that was the case. That was the case once we got there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we always had those people with us and stuff that are clearly like FEDS, you know, like Chinese federal agents of some sort, keeping an eye on what we're doing and all that sort of stuff. It's kind of weird, such levels of paranoia for such a harmless thing like a big Foot TV show.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: Well, Bob, that's quite a story. I'm a little sad that you didn't get married. You narrowly escaped that one. But how would your life be different? Man, You'd be living in some beachfront, probably with a woman you'd fall in love with over the years, surfing a lot fifteen kids dying of skin cancer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, I almost died down in Tahaiti on our races.
Speaker 5: Just one race.
Speaker 2: One of the races we did was you start off at Papietti, the big harbor on Tahiti, the main island, and then you cross the channel. It's like, I think it was like seventeen miles or fifteen miles or something, and you'd cross the channel to Morea circle the whole island of Morea, and then back across the channel. I think it was like sixty something miles and we were about halfway into it. And it's called the nine Manners. It's sixpence to the boat at once. And then you have an escort boat, so they go in front of you the escort boat, and then three guys will jump in the water and they space themselves up in a row, line up straight, and then you pull up the canoe. As you pull up next to them, you drop your paddle in the canoe and you roll out the other side so they can climb in. They can climb a board. We had spray skirts like a like like like a kayaks. They put that like fabric over the openings. Then Sinsons rounder your waist.
Speaker 5: There's no water getting in the kayak.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, we had those.
Speaker 5: In the canoe.
Speaker 2: So there's like six six openings with like a draw stream with an elastic cord. And we were on the we were yeah, I think we were at Captain Cook Bay actually off Morea and it's real tricky. We were trying to kind of inside the course and we ended up hitting the reef and splitting a big hole in the canoe bottom and we started sinking, and my coach said, I said, I felt I felt good, so I wasn't getting out. I was like, I'm staying in Like I could pile it for a long time.
Speaker 5: I could. I could, you know, do thirty miles or or whatever. No problem.
Speaker 2: So I was like, I'm just gonna tie myself into the get this skate spray skirt on tight. So there's not water because we were having tons of it was rough. There's a lot of water coming over the boat. So I sensed it up really, I sensed it up tight. And I was strapped into the boat and I couldn't get out, and then we hit that reef and then we just started sinking fast. We were people trying to bail and like within real fast, I mean like ten seconds, we were underwater and we landed on the reef and my head was about two feet blow of the surface three feet of the surface of the most like my hand I could type my finger, test could break the water. But I was tied in with these knots like and I nodded that spray skirt around me. I couldn't get out. I was tied in, and I didn't get that good of a breath before I went under. I started sitting locked in the locked in the boat, like just sitting there looking down. There's all these black tip restarts all over us, like all around us, like hundreds of them, but they're not that bad. But I just remember like fumbling and fumbling, couldn't get it, couldn't get it. I achieved my figuring out, I didn't have figured out for untying the thing. I smeber like just calmly that going. I'm gonna die if I'm gonna start swallowing water right now if I don't just calm down and do this properly. So I slowed down and just untied it and got to the surface just just as I was starting to swallow water like breathe water. So it's kind of kind of sketchy, as like they they were trying to get a knife off the escort boat. The escort boat couldn't get close to us though because of the the reefs. So it's like like there's nothing anyone could do.
Speaker 4: Sounds like you shouldn't go to Tahiti anymore.
Speaker 5: Haven't been back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can see why, man, I'd be back in the.
Speaker 2: Place was awesome, so beautiful. It's like if you go like the best like tropical fish tech you've ever seen. There's millions of those fish and they're giant. They're like, wait a minute, you've ever seen in captivity, Like they're everywhere.
Speaker 4: It is so awesome, sounds like a wonderful place. End up almost dying and getting married and all sorts of other things. Accidentally getting married. Yeah, nothing wrong with getting married, of course, but accidentally I don't know.
Speaker 5: Man, agreeing to get married, not knowing you're agreeing.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, Bubbo, we've already gone over time. We've barely touched any of the topics unfortunately, but we do have a members episode we're going to record right now for you know, just of our just our members, and of course, if if you're interested in becoming a member of big Foot and Beyond and being part of our Beyond Bigfoot and Beyond team, just go the website or get clicked the show links down below and follow the membership sort of things, And it's basically a little bit. It's a subscription sort of thing, and you get an extra forty five minutes or an hour of Cliff and Bobo every single week, just in case you can't get enough of us. I don't know, a lot of people seem to enjoy it. I get a lot of good feedback. We really really deeply appreciate everybody who supports us like that as well, by the way, so thank you very much for out there listening and for our members.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess people really liked my last Boo storytime on the Patreon page of the Flying Incident.
Speaker 5: I guess people love that one. Well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there's certain Bobo story times that are suitable for the regular episode, and certain other Bobo story times that are only suitable for our members who definitely, definitely definitely want to be there. And so yeah, I've gotten all sorts of comments and emails about that particular event clash. I'm not sure what to call it except for an amazing Bobo story time, but anyway, Yeah, so if you're interested in checking that out, just follow the show notes below there's going to be linked down there, or go to the website bigfit to me on podcast dot com and then follow the links to the membership section. And that's what Bob and I are gonna go do right now. So Bobus, why don't you sign us off and we'll jump onto the members episode.
Speaker 2: All right, folks, thanks for jinas again. Sorry to get too much Bigfoot related stuff going this one, but next week next week.
Speaker 5: But until next week, y'all keep it squatchy.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening to this week's episode of Bigfoot and Beyond. If you liked what you heard, please rate and review us on iTunes, subscribe to Bigfoot and Beyond wherever you get your podcasts, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram at Bigfoot and Beyond podcast. You can find us on Twitter at Bigfoot and Beyond that's an N in the middle, and tweet us your thoughts and questions with the hashtag Bigfoot and Beyond.