Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. What feels good.
Speaker 2: It feels good that today, despite the despite the fog and the clouds, baseball season just started.
Speaker 1: Oh that's exciting. I was just saying, if I was a baseball fan, i'd be out at opening Day.
Speaker 3: You're a fan.
Speaker 1: You're a fan. Yeah, crazy, that's what it is. Well, i'd take it off. I'd take the day off you have in the past. I know I could have gone, but I guess the opening day prices are just punitively expensive these days.
Speaker 2: Well, the Dodgers happened to be the champions, so right, yes, I mean that's me.
Speaker 3: I've gone.
Speaker 2: A couple of years ago, I had friends that I had a friend buy me tickets for the second game of the season at Dodgers Stadium. They were playing the Giants to open the season, and right before the season started, I got those for my birthday.
Speaker 3: So I got those back in January, so I knew I was going.
Speaker 2: And then right before the season started, another friend of mine had somebody bail out. He called and asked if I want to to go to Opening Day, and I thought that would love to two nights in a row would be great. I'd love to see the difference between the two. We sat behind the dugout for Opening Night and at the time the Giants were I mean, they're on the first base side because the visiting dugout, and that's where we were sitting, and they're just rolling balls to all of the people that were sitting in the front row.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they were friends and family of the team or whatever.
Speaker 2: But the pomp and circumstance of Opening Day, the bunting like it.
Speaker 3: It was great. It was my first ever Opening Day.
Speaker 2: The next night, there were about eighteen thousand people there, not the forty thousand that were there for Opening Night, and it was that much more to me, It was that much more enjoyable. Yeah, a smaller crowd, a little quieter pomp and circumstance out the window, but it was just a better time.
Speaker 1: I just get excit. I was saying, like, well, anyway, we should get end.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers, of course, are hosting the Detroit Tigers today. Four o'clock is the first pitch at Dodger Stadium, but all of Baseball opens today. I think twenty six of the twenty eight teams will start today. The first games start right at noon our time. Milwaukee is in New York to take on the Yankees, and then Baltimore is up in Canada. They'll be taken on the Toronto Blue Jays at noon.
Speaker 1: I sent a friend yesterday the emoji the fist, the American flag and the fire emoji, and they ain't get it. You wait what they ain't get it? And I'm like, we are too tied to this signal story. We are too in the know where people are not getting my esoteric signal app fight the Hoothy's joke via emoji. The fact that the intelligence boss is sending triple emoji texts about war plans was lost on the gent pop battle plans, excuse me, battle plans, because.
Speaker 3: Remember there's a difference.
Speaker 1: There's no war right right right right.
Speaker 3: And there's a lot of discussion about this.
Speaker 2: Signal app, the story about it, at least that it's totally being blown out of proportion.
Speaker 1: Exactly my point.
Speaker 2: And listen, you can say it on both sides, like no one died was a this was not a potentially not a criminal act it was just stupidity at the highest levels. That being said, someone has to pay a price. Again, I don't know what it is.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: If somebody gets fired, I don't know. But somebody resigns, loses their job, you can't. I guess you could put it on this unnamed staff member in Mike Waltz's office. But that doesn't do anything to anybody. There's no teeth in a punishment like that. Obviously it would be for that low level staffer, but not for the people who are most responsible for Well.
Speaker 1: This afternoon there will be an emergency hearing. An advocacy group has sued, claiming Department secretaries and intelligence chiefs ignored federal records laws by using the auto delete features on the signal app. Yeah, Republicans have been downplaying this. The editor of The Atlantic, of course, added to the chat. He continues, the Atlantic does to milk this thing. Mentioned times the text Chanin died methods of at tax on who the rebel targets. We know all of that. Anyway. The hearing this afternoon was ordered by Judge James Boseberg. Does that sound familiar.
Speaker 3: That's the immigration guy.
Speaker 1: That's the guy that Trump is fighting with currently, so he says, I see your fight, and I raise you. It's just set for about one pm hour time this hearing.
Speaker 2: All right, okay, so all that's going on in the background, we'll be talking about baseball and Opening Day. Not everybody has to be a fan of baseball. I get it, totally understand. Some people think it's boring. That's those are the people who have lower IQ's, and that's fine.
Speaker 3: What is your favorite baseball movie?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, you don't have to be a baseball fan to love a baseball movie. And while I would like to pick some of the I do love all baseball movies. I love Eight Men Out, I love sixty one. But when I think about my favorite baseball movies, I think about the ones that I go back to repeatedly. I go back to Major League, I go back to Bull Durham. I can quote those, you know, sixty one and Eight Men Out. While I enjoyed them, I can't quote them. You know, I loved Moneyball, I loved the one with the Girl and Clint Eastwood.
Speaker 3: Oh something about the Curve.
Speaker 1: Yes, great movie. I've seen that one multiple times, but not nearly as many as I've seen Amy Adams, not nearly as many as I've seen and many times as I've seen Bull Durham or Major League. And part of that is that Major League and Bull Durham were just on like all the time growing up. Major League was one of those movies that would play on your television repeatedly through the early nineties. And so that's one of the reasons. Trouble with the curve, Trouble with the curve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, there's something also about a baseball that allows that lends itself to storytelling like that that other stories don't.
Speaker 3: It's harder to do a great basketball movie.
Speaker 2: There are some, there are it's harder to do a great football movie, there are some.
Speaker 1: But baseball speaks to romance, I think better, the romance of the game, the romance of the legend, of all the fields being different, all the specifications being different, everything. I think baseball movies can pull more from every facet of life than some of the other sports.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so later on, let us know what it is that is your favorite baseball movie on the talkback feature on the iHeart app, hit that little button and leave us a message, like when you.
Speaker 1: Think about Miracle on Ice or Hoosier's great sports movies, right, But you don't have Susan Sarandon bang and two guys on the same team. You don't have that thing.
Speaker 4: To Gary and Shannon on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Generally consider myself claustrophobic. I'm going to have a thing about tunnels through the jungles of Vietnam. But I think that's because of a past life. But the idea of being in a just recreational submarine like that not going to do it.
Speaker 1: We learned about Vietnam at a very formative age, and I think that's why those memories lodged themselves. I remember having nightmares at like six fifteen, sixteen years old learning about the Vietnam War. I think that's what it is. You're very impressionable at that age or past life or past life. I didn't know you believed in past life.
Speaker 2: Well I'm not saying I do, but I don't know where else I would have a fear of the tunnels in the in the gorillas used by.
Speaker 3: The viet Cong.
Speaker 1: I like this open minded Gary who knows who knows the Gary that I know? It would punch that tunnel right in the face. You won't be a.
Speaker 3: Little baby Tunnels.
Speaker 1: I guess in your past life, I.
Speaker 3: Was stronger, stronger man.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we have talked a lot about the signal app the signal chat that went wild.
Speaker 3: Of course, Michael Waltz.
Speaker 2: The National Security Advisor, was now taking blame for inviting the editor of The Atlantic magazine into this chat that was regarding the Hoothy Rebels and the planned attack by American forces on the Hoothy Rebels in Yemen. A couple of different problems with it. Obviously, that guy should have never been in there in the first place. Somebody didn't look at the list of people who were involved in this chat. They got a little loose and free with their language, despite the fact they're literally talking about killing people the American flag, the fist, and the fire emoji. Now I'm not saying that there's not a place for that. I'm saying, in the off chance that any of this gets out, there has to be some amount of understanding the the gravity of the situation. Now, there was some contention yesterday. I don't know if you saw this, but Congressman Seth Moulton had suggested that Pete Hag Seth was drinking when he wrote the battle plans, or at least the timing of what was going to happen in that in that signal app he may be he's listened. That was a huge issue one. He's never going to drink as long as he Secretary of Defense.
Speaker 1: Well, I got to say in the communication that I read, Pete Haig Seth came across better than I gave him credit for so, drinking or.
Speaker 2: Not, And he was not the one who did the fish the emotions.
Speaker 1: Now, Pete Haig Seth actually had like detailed, logical, politically based plans for how they should move forward.
Speaker 2: In the discussion that went back and forth between he and the Vice president about what why now? What are the what are the implications of waiting thirty days? Why we do it now? What he would say to the president. So heg Seth is now the one who is under some pretty close scrutiny because even Republicans are concerned about the way he handled at the very least sensitive military information but essentially classified.
Speaker 1: What did you think you thought that Pete Haig Seth was going to be above board all the time. He's a rogue person that you put in a political machine.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. The Trump chose him to shake things up. The Senate confirmed him so that he would shake things up, and he's doing things that are not by the book. Again, I hate when if I say that people are going to go, well, you're defending the stupidity of the No, I'm not. That was a stupid thing to do for everyone involved in that chat, all nineteen eighteen administration people and one editor of the Atlantic magazine stupidity, idiocy. It was ridiculous that they were able to do that, and no one caught the fact that there was a journalist in that chat room, let alone the fact that they should not have been using the signal app to talk about this stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, And it kind of makes you wonder what other conversations have they had in a lackadaisical.
Speaker 2: Manner, every one of them, every one of them, think about it. In the last two months, this has been sort of a fly by the seat of your pants kind of administration, and they've done all kinds of things. Trump and this team have worked at a lightning speed when it comes to getting things done. But that also means that the go fast and break things attitude comes with a lot of mistakes, and we've seen that in the form of jobs that have been cut by DOGE that then to the workers have to turn around and be rehired within twelve or twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: That's why I've said time and time again, I'm not built for it, but I understand the way government and school boards and other things are built for bureaucracy because that's how things have to get done. There has to be protocols, there has to be accountability, there has to be a chain of command. All the things that I viscerally hate and loathe, which is why I don't have one of those jobs, needs to happen, move fast and break things happens when you're innovating, when you're in Silicon Valley in the Elon Musk world, of course, what is it? And then ask for permission later. That's what you do, right or no, you don't ask for permission, You ask for forgiveness. That's the thing. That's how things get done well in government, That's not how things get done. And you can't be a disruptor in the same way that you are in every other arena.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's also it's disingenuous to say if this was the Biden administration, Democrats wouldn't have a problem with it.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know. I hate playing that hypothetical thing.
Speaker 1: I don't think it would. I think all hypocrites. I think that you wouldn't hear any of this. You certainly wouldn't have heard the pearl clutching you heard on Capitol Hill yesterday.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean to say that if this was the roles would simply be reversed.
Speaker 3: Yes, not as if.
Speaker 1: The Republicans would be pissed, right, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: As well they should be, and Democrats every right have every right to be pissed about this stupidity of what had happened.
Speaker 3: What happened was.
Speaker 2: We're taking It is opening day for baseball seasons, so we're taking your comments on what is the greatest baseball movie of all time?
Speaker 3: Greatest baseball quote, whatever it is.
Speaker 1: There was an article in the Hollywood Reporter about the ten base but ten best baseball movies of all time. And there's someone here I didn't even know about or seen.
Speaker 2: Well, that's also the Hollywood Reporter trying to be kind of hipster attitude towards it's a band you've never heard of, Like they get some of those.
Speaker 1: Bang the drums slowly. I thought that was about AIDS. That's nineteen seventy two movie. Do you know what I'm talking out?
Speaker 3: They got pre dated AIDS by Yeah I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's the movie about AIDS?
Speaker 3: Philadelphia? No, Dallas Buyer's Club.
Speaker 1: It's something that sounds like bang the drums slowly about AIDS.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Named the two and the band played on Boom, bang the drum slowly, and the band played on Titanic. No, which one and the band played on? I don't know. I know it's about AIDS. Oh, because I just googled movies about AIDS to figure it out.
Speaker 3: You said I mentioned two movies. Yeah, which ones?
Speaker 1: The Dallas Buyers Club?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, the two big ones that I remember right? And also and the band played on It's a distant third, but we'll give it with Matthew Modine, it's about AIDS. In nineteen eighty one, epidemiologist Don Francis, who's Matthew Modine, learns of an increased rate of death among gay men and urban areas. The startling information leads him to begin an investigating the outbreak, which is ultimately identified as AIDS. I don't know where the band comes into this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seems.
Speaker 1: To be just boiler plate AIDS. All right, Gary and Shannon Top ten eight movies?
Speaker 3: Come, Wow, something more fun? Top ten? Didn't we just baseball?
Speaker 4: Didn't?
Speaker 1: We Just talk to someone yesterday who said they listened to the show, and they go, what the hell is this?
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: President Trump has announced twenty five percent tariffs on all cars shipped to the United States. These tariffs are set to take place, going to effect next Thursday, I believe it is Thursday morning at twelve oh one, just after midnight. Aimed at expanding our auto manufacturing power here in the United States.
Speaker 1: We have our cars thanks to parts and vehicles and companies that exist all over North America, Canada, Mexico, US. There's the free trade agreement in place which allowed this to be the way we've done business for a long time, no tariffs among them. Would we like to have all the cars built in this country, Yes, but it is punitively expensive to do so, which is why they've outsourced parts and vehicles and all of it. Services to Canada and Mexico.
Speaker 2: Well, and think about how just the location the geography of auto manufacturing has changed. I mean, your point is that we outsource a lot of the parts. They come in here and they're assembled here, but may not officially be made here depending on how this definition goes. But places like Korea have doubled or tripled their percentage in terms of the number of cars that we import from that country. Japan is actually down. Part of it is because we've seen the increase in production in Korea.
Speaker 3: But Mexico.
Speaker 2: Think about the number of cars that we get from Mexico probably blow you away the percentages because it's somewhere around twelve or fifteen percent because of what we've seen this dissemination of manufacturing. When it comes to cars, now, that question of what qualifies as an American made car.
Speaker 3: Trump was asked about it yesterday on the car tariffs.
Speaker 5: How do you assure that the car coming into the country is fully built. Could have an automaker in Germany say leave the tires off a car.
Speaker 6: We're going to have very strong policing. And it's pretty easy to do. If parts are made in America and a car isn't. Those parts are not going to be text or tariff, and we'll have very strong policing as far as that's concerned.
Speaker 5: How are you sure Americans then that this will not cause a long term increase in prices?
Speaker 7: Well, look, I think we're going to have a market the likes of which nobody's ever seen before or not in this country. You know, we had the best market ever in my first term. It was the strongest market ever, the best economy ever. Think you're gonna have I think this blows.
Speaker 4: It away, all right.
Speaker 1: So Trump says he's been in touch with the big three uh Stilantis, Ford, and GM, saying if they've got factories here, they're thrilled. If you don't have factories, are going to have to get them going and build them. They all have factories here, but like we've been talking about, parts and other things come from other places. All three company stocks fell in after hours trading. Shares in GM plunge more than seven percent, Ford and Stillantis those operate Jeep, Ram, Chrysler Dodge both fell more than four percent, Similarly with shares in German automakers and Asia car makers as well. Japanese PM told lawmakers. All options against the tariffs are on the table. It's it may be just a who needs who more kind of equation. Yes, we need Japan and their computer systems to put in all our cars these days, or Japan, Asia, Korea, all the things, But do they need us more than we need them? And I don't know the answers.
Speaker 3: To that well.
Speaker 2: And that's why he's doing this that we've seen it not just in auto, but we've seen it in lumber, steel, the industries that he has either threatened or imposed terrafs on. His playbook so far has been to apply maximum pressure onto these things and see what squirts out the sides.
Speaker 1: Right, So twenty five percent could be just the opening salvo, and.
Speaker 2: She's done before. It may not even go into effect on April third. He has the opportunity or the possibility of saying there's been enough movement by these other governments and these auto manufacturers to either bring manufacturing back to the United States or make an effort to keep manufacturing in the United States, that they will then reduce or do away with these proposed tariffs. Again, it doesn't happen until next Thursday. We've seen it before. It could change between now and then. About half, by the way, about half of the sixteen million cars, SUVs and light trucks that we bought last year, about half of them were imports.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Since Opening Day of Baseball. We're taking your favorite baseball movies. A little bit later in the show, we'll go through and talk about some of the.
Speaker 3: People will come right, yes, they will.
Speaker 2: Is this other thing that we miss? This is Vin Scully starting baseball season?
Speaker 1: Just basically Vin Scully period.
Speaker 2: I was looking through to find some sound from you know, Opening Day Baseball, and there's just so much Vin Scully stuff that we have.
Speaker 1: Well, why don't we play it throughout the show?
Speaker 3: We can if you like.
Speaker 1: I think that that would be apropos of opening days.
Speaker 3: It's time for a quick terror in the skies.
Speaker 5: Like you Zero and I or you're a day Roger off my plane, Roger Rogers.
Speaker 3: Let's our Victor Victor en.
Speaker 1: I have had with these monkey fight and snakes on this money.
Speaker 4: It's Gary and Shannon's Terror in the Skies on KFI.
Speaker 3: I'd never realized that, but I would prefer to have snakes that fight monkeys, wouldn't you. I mean, if you're gonna have a kind of a snake, you'd want a monkey fight.
Speaker 1: No, I'd want my monkey to fight the snake. I picked the monkey in that fight.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess I want that.
Speaker 1: Monkey to f that snake up. San Francisco International is always in the news, right, it's just too big not to fail. And San Francisco International happened to be where a flight was diverted a recent flight from China to La Why because the pilot forgot his passport. And as it turns out, according to law, the passengers have no grounds. I guess when it comes to human error. If your schedule is thrown off, if you've got to spend the night in San Francisco, or whatever costs that are incurred because your flight is diverted because the pilot forgot his passport, it's on you according to the law.
Speaker 2: Well, and here's what I think is funny. It happened twice within about a week of each other. So and with the same airline again, United. I have a friend, he's a pilot. He does not fly for United, but he talks about the way news travels between pilots between flight crews, and I mean you see other pilots, the other flight crews. I mean, the crew that's working the back of the airplane may change when the crew that's working the front air of the airplane doesn't.
Speaker 3: But they talk.
Speaker 2: Hey, did you hear that Bob forgot his passport last week while we were supposed to go to China and we turned the plane around. That kind of thing is surprising that it would then happen again a week later.
Speaker 1: Well, when you think about passports, think about the generation we're in. Look no further than your local cockpit to find your pilot that looks way too young to be flying a plane, But here they are. It's because you've gotten older. These pilots have lived in an age where everything is on their phone, that they need credit cards, all the things are right on their phone. It's not as frequent for this generation to think about, well, okay, what do I need? You've got it all. It's right there.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: So I think that plays into it more so. I mean, you're getting more pilots that are not coming from military service. They're civilian pilots, and they're younger, and they it's not they don't have cash on them, they don't have change. They have keys in their phone, maybe keys, maybe keys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought about that when I bought a car that required a keyfob but no actual key, you know, had the push button start. Not to show off, not to brag, but I'm saying it had a push by the car, I would lose.
Speaker 3: I would leave.
Speaker 2: I would forget the keyfob a lot because I would. I was used to for the first forty five years of my life having a key to start the car. You couldn't get into the car without the as well.
Speaker 1: You don't even need a key to get in your door, right, you just it's just somewhere near you now, like this knows that you're there. It smells your pheromones and it opened.
Speaker 3: But I but I didn't.
Speaker 2: You're eating the wrong food if the car can smell you come, it's true. But that's a point I didn't think about. Just the idea that a pilot these days, they even if they're going passport.
Speaker 1: Passport is something your parents remember, and it is a weird.
Speaker 2: Thing to have to remember. Uh, you're carrying a little booklet around with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I wonder and I wonder where we'll go with passports in the future, if it will always be the little book you carry around, or if we're going to move into well.
Speaker 2: People will put ID chips in their RFID chip in their thumb or something like that.
Speaker 1: Sure as I already have like six chips in my hand. Why because I'm hungry?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: Coming up next, the Sheriff's Department is getting into the DNA game.
Speaker 3: Or re getting getting re into getting into it again.
Speaker 1: You gotta love it when the cops screw up DNA.
Speaker 8: It's not their fault necessarily, but we'll explain what is it ever their fault Ely County Sheriff's Department. You missed any part of the show, you can always go back and check out the podcast, whether it's in the iHeartRadio app you just type in Gary and Shannon. Anywhere you listen to your podcast is where you'll find us.
Speaker 1: Also, if you want to vomit and kick start that weight loss plan, we've got super fresh, obscene details about the Jeff Bezos Lauren Sanchez wedding.
Speaker 3: Great you've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us long on KFI Am six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap