Speaker 1: All right, thanks for being with us. My name is Sandy, This is JB yell Lo. Trisha's here too. Hi everybody, and good news for Longhorn and Aggie fans. I don't know if you guys saw this, but the Lone Star Showdown back to being the day after Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: Oh awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Texas and Texas San and im. I'm gonna play at six thirty on November twenty eighth at dk R. It's the SEC Conference finale. It's the first time since two thousand and seven that the game will be played on Black Friday, where it has traditionally over the last hundred years been played. So that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Texas homes again.
Speaker 1: We're back. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah we are. Man.
Speaker 2: That's great though. I always look forward to that because you can and you can watch the Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day. It just was always a great weekend.
Speaker 1: Make yourself a turkey sandwich. Yep, sit there, watch the Longhorns play until ninth Game two at six thirty. So there won't be any drunk fans there.
Speaker 2: No, my gosh, not at all.
Speaker 3: It'll be perfectly fine.
Speaker 1: I mean a lot of people have been pent up with their families for Thanksgiving for three or four, they're ready to go, right, They're gonna get out of the house and tailgate and be at that game. So that's pretty cool and of course a long way away, but a reminder you can catch the game here on one oh three point one as well as the Longhorn Baseball They start today with a three game series against the University of Florida. Craig Way has got the call, and for my money, Craig Way is the best play by play guy in college sports. I mean, he does everything.
Speaker 2: He does and it's so much more important in baseball. Yeah, not to belittle what he does with football, he's amazing with that, but baseball's just translates better.
Speaker 1: To that radio. I mean listening. I love listening to baseball and the radio, Yeah, I love it. Other things that you guys need to know about some list that Austin made and one at Austin that Texas did not make. We'll start out with this will get your attention, This will get everyone's attention. We watch this, watch stand back and watch hold of the air and watch this. A study by Smutfinder whoa Whoa, which is an online erotic story site ranked the United States by kinkiest using five metrics, adult content, adult store, fetish related terms, only fans, creators in the strip clubs. I'd like everybody to know, lone star state. We're checking in at number four, and we are excelling, excelling in adult content searches and only fans creators. Wow, yeah, we check in at number four. Any guesses as to what might be the kinkiest state?
Speaker 4: Ooh, Florida.
Speaker 3: Oh you right, Florida, I say Florida.
Speaker 1: Note with Jake. No Nevada, Oh.
Speaker 3: Nevada was right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people do weird things when they go to Nevada.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And then they got the lethal legal brothels.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Outside of there, Colorado's also on the list. They get freaky in Oregon as well.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: To the east, New York is in thirteenth place, and only New Jersey. They're pretty vanilla. Least kinky Jersey. Yeah, least kinky.
Speaker 3: I've expected a little bit of a look from Jersey. Nothing at all. Huh.
Speaker 1: No, doesn't surprise me that South Dakota is towards the bottom of the list too. Yeah, Rhode Island, you're doing Rhode Island?
Speaker 3: Oh, Texas we're riding in at number four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's one a list that we did not get onto is one of the best states list. In that best state, by the way, do you have that trush?
Speaker 3: Yep, it's the state of Utah.
Speaker 5: Utah best state in America, according to the US News and World Report Utah. I don't know about y'all, but I think I'm happy that we're on the Kinkiest List.
Speaker 3: I feel like that makes us a little spicy.
Speaker 1: Right, given kink your best I too, I know what you think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we're supporting the kink here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Utah best State. I have never been to Utah, but I've heard it's absolutely beautiful. I've never been has anyone.
Speaker 2: I've driven through some of it and it was stunning. I just didn't have time to spend in it.
Speaker 1: On that park cities, that area of Salt Lake. Ye.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I mean, but also, let's again make ourselves feel good for being on a Kinky List, because what of the some of the top five categories that they chose, Utah was for fiscal stability, economy, and infrastructure. Education. Come on, you want to live in Utah, you want to live in Texas, right.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna live in Texas for sure. Yeah. But we did Austin number one for barbecue.
Speaker 5: Yes, according to yelp, number one barbecue city in the US according to yelp.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't in Austin till the last decade or whenever. Maybe Franklin's. And then when Terry Blacks moved in from Lockhart, right, m yeah, because it used to be more of it was like Lockhart, Taylor. It wasn't going to be in Austin.
Speaker 1: No, you had to leave town. You had to go outside of Austin. Yeah for those places, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not not in Austin. But that's good.
Speaker 1: They got smart. And then where were we for that with your uncles and them at the bar? What were we in Lockhart?
Speaker 3: How long ago?
Speaker 1: A couple of years ago we went out there. There was some celebration for something.
Speaker 3: We were in Lockhart that was in Lockhart.
Speaker 1: Then they and then he was telling his first his uncle was telling me. Rick was telling me. He was like, oh, yeah, some new guy moved into town. Thinks he's pretty hot stuff with his new barbecue and Lockhart and I'm boy, you've got to have a lot of guts.
Speaker 2: Don't roll into Lockhart.
Speaker 3: Your barbecue is the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm like, you got to be really confident of your barbecue. I say, I tell the same thing to Pet. We've had this discussion before. But people visiting they always reach out like, hey, where can I get some good barbecue? Anywhere? Yep, it's all good.
Speaker 2: They won't survive if it's not any good.
Speaker 1: Right, You're not going to get bad barbecue in Austin, Texas. You any place, the first place you see go there, We'll go there. It'll be great.
Speaker 2: I need to try love barbecue. It gets it gets put in that list of top three. I've had Terry Blacks many times. I've had Franklin's at events. I've never waited in line.
Speaker 5: I haven't either, but I would love to have it. I've never tasted it or waited in line either.
Speaker 1: What's your true test? JB? Tricia like this if this is if this is good, then everything's going to be good.
Speaker 5: Or if this is the brisket, yeah, brisket number one. And then also huge for me is the sauce.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, because like there's some sauces that are just kind of flat. I can't remember who it was their sauce was way too peppery. I just think the sauce is very important.
Speaker 1: I'm personal the salt lick sauce.
Speaker 2: They do it. They do a spicy salt lick barbecue sauce. But I'm giving it a what I'm giving away my go to because it's a trailer and I'm screwing myself because they run out already all the time. But Brown's Barbecue.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right.
Speaker 2: You've been a little trailer in front of corner bar at South Lamar and Mary, And I mean if you they run out all the time, so you can't plan on it, like call ahead.
Speaker 3: Or fingers crusted kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they when they run out, they run out. But it's one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: It's so good. Do they do like a lot You say it's a truck, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like a it's like a big trailer.
Speaker 1: Do they do brisket, ribs the whole thing or are they just like no ribs, just brisket or.
Speaker 2: They do they do them all it they'll run out quickly. Brisket and ribs, baby back ribs and brisket are the first to go.
Speaker 1: I'm going to vote for the best chopped beef sandwich at Smoky J's at the corner of six twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: And that's been there forever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh that's right, yeah, forever.
Speaker 1: That is a great appreciate them every single day.
Speaker 2: When she was yeah, you know who has a good chopped beef barbecue sandwich. You're gonna be surprised when I say this, or maybe not.
Speaker 1: BUCkies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh you've had it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Baron and I crave them when we're on road trips. Yeah, let's get one of those BUCkies choppy sandwich.
Speaker 1: They are good. Boy, we sound like big time radio, don't we. We sound like big time radio sandwich about choped beef sandwiches. What mix? What's your favorite bread? But no, those Bucky ones are good. And there's knockoff BUCkies showing up all over the place. They're called the Texan.
Speaker 3: Yeah they're trying.
Speaker 2: I've saw somebody share that online. The interior looked the same, the way the back wall was with the bathrooms looked the same. Yeah, the same food choices.
Speaker 1: You can't even the fudge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even a fudge.
Speaker 2: You can't fock them for doing it. Like, okay, let's just do the same thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I follow two ladies who are comedians on on social media and they have some shows in Texas and they stopped at a BUCkies for the first time and she said, this is a gas station and just panned around the gigantic store that is BUCkies and she's like food home decor, chopped beef sandwiches, was like a gas station, this is a gas station.
Speaker 1: I went into the Texan in Port Ransas and it's it's like, you're going to BUCkies. I mean, really, is.
Speaker 3: It cheaper than BUCkies?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't think you can get out of BUCkies for less than one hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: I know, difficult, gotcha.
Speaker 1: Coming up on the show tab, We're going to talk to Stephen Presley about all things that are going on in Hollywood and that includes he's going to tell us that he says, one of the biggest stars in the world is coming to Central Texas and if you play your cards right, you could actually meet him. Also going to tell you about an eighties movie excuse me, an eighties TV show that's been remade into a movie. So stick around. That's about seven twenty five with Steven up. Next. Tricia has the story We love what you got.
Speaker 5: All right, our local meteorologists they're weighing in on how many triple digit days we can expect this summer. Oh okay, I mean it's all over the board. I'm going to tell you who my pick is my favorite?
Speaker 1: All right, stay with us story we love coming up on Austin's eighties station. What O three point one meteorologists in Austin are predicting how many one hundred degree days we're going to have this summer. We'll get to it in the story We Love in just a second. But bye, gosh, bye golly. We got us an American pope right, and I MA, I couldn't freaking believe it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I would love to know your thoughts on that. I panicked when I saw that. I just like, I'm just like America. Just lay low, Just lay low for a while, please, America.
Speaker 3: Opposite of laying low.
Speaker 2: This is exactly. It's like the scrutiny that an American pope is going to take. Yeah, oh my gosh, don't screw this up. Yeah. Do you know anything about him?
Speaker 1: Not as much as everybody else. You know, He's from Chicago, went to UH graduating from Villanova. He worked in Peru with some of the poorest people in Peru. He is a Augustine ordered priest, you know, and he's clearly a smart guy. I mean, did the whole damn thing in Italian yesterday. How many languages he speaks. But they said he was kind of a you know, not really attached to any any group or clique or anything like that within the the conclave, and they just found him. I mean, hell, it took him less than twenty four hours there, right. They deliberated on jurys for longer than that.
Speaker 2: I couldn't find any flaws in this guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same uh. Leo the fourteenth is.
Speaker 5: His pope name, Robert Prevost his name his name.
Speaker 1: So what's kind of interesting I haven't dug into it yet, is that a guy that I went to high school with a friend of mine from high school went on to become a priest who did a lot, did years in years of missionary work in Peru. So it makes me wonder he's got to know him somehow, you know what I mean. Peru's not that big of a country.
Speaker 5: I know you said that earlier. I thought that was funny. It's not a really big country. I mean, I think it's because of the profession that he's in, right, Yeah, yeah, sure, But.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Maybe I'm going to reach out to Chris and see if he knows him. So it's weird when you meet a guy you knew in high school. There's two guys I went high school with at a priest and when you see him I've gone to mass when they've said masks both times and talked to him afterwards, and you still call him by their first name, you know what I mean, instead of father Mark or father said Chris, you big goofball. You know what I mean. It's just it's weird, very strange.
Speaker 2: I didn't have any friends going down that path. You didn't know that that would be it would be bizarre.
Speaker 1: It is different. It's it's strange, but you know you're up there. I was like, I went to I was going to confession once and I asked the guy that came out of the thing and I go, hey, is father Mark in there. He's like yeah, I'm go okay, I'll do it another time. You didn't know everything.
Speaker 5: Live from the Lester Holt Studio.
Speaker 3: Here's Tricia Delicia. All right, So every year XI.
Speaker 5: In First Warning, their weather team tries to predict how many times as is going to hit the hundred degree mark or above. I think they kind of do it just kind of a little bit for fun, but also just to kind of get an idea of what we're in for. They make it very clear though, that making any kind of weather predictions more than like a week out incredibly inaccurate. They are just I'm sorry to say, this is k x ayn's First Warning weather team. Okay, and you know k x ayn is my favorite because of Jim Spencer. I'm still a little upset that he's semi partially retired. But Jim does weigh in on what he's predicting as to the number of one hundred degree days we're going to have.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to tell y'all what they said.
Speaker 5: There's like six of them, six or seven of them, and then we can decide who we like the best based on their number, because one hundred degree plus in Austin, my gosh, do you release last year though?
Speaker 3: I think that we only had thirty two days at one hundred or above. I know this.
Speaker 2: Number is total days over one hundred, not total days in a row. Because we know we've gone.
Speaker 3: Total days crazy in triple digits.
Speaker 1: OK.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm telling you it felt like it was more than thirty two. So Tommy, so the average is twenty nine. Twenty twenty four, we had thirty two days predicting for this coming summer. One of the meteorologists, Tommy House, said thirty eight days. Nick Bannon, I believe he's the chief meteorologist who replaced Jim Spencer forty days. And then here's my guy, Jim coming in at forty one days. We go all the way up to one of them predicting forty five. Kristin Curry, she's the meete relogist. You and I like Sandy Girl fifty six, and then Rich Siegel says fifty eight. So we're anywhere between thirty eight to fifty eight days of triple digit sun heat.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with Kristen.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with Jim.
Speaker 2: I want to guess we have more days over one hundred than that entirely when you think about it, you tickets. It's kicking in now, and we could have some in May. We'll definitely have him in June. Oh yeah, and then we have a lot of triple digit days late September. Yeah, so it just seems like if we only have thirties, that's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. By the way, the year with the most days of one hundred degrees or more and Austin was twenty eleven when we had ninety days. Yes, I remember that. It wasn't just one hundred, it was one hundred and seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, it was one hundred and six.
Speaker 5: I remember walking out of a target and walking to my car in the parking lot and it smelled like the tires were melting on the asphalt, like it smelled like burning tires. It was ridiculously hot for human beings.
Speaker 1: So how many going with I'm going.
Speaker 5: With Jim Spencer forty one. I'm going to agree with whatever Jim Spencer says.
Speaker 2: What about you, Jimmy, I think it's going to be more. I think they're being conservative. It'll be in the upper fifties, close to two months worth.
Speaker 1: You guys want some more fun facts about we did and that back in that year of twenty eleven, twenty seven days straight over one hundred.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why wow, it's just incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's set on the how anything survives, but it does. And we get through it and we run off a lot of people that can't take it, which is good, and then.
Speaker 5: We just bitch about it the next summer when it happens again, Like we live here, why are we still shocked when it's hot?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the thing about Austin heat, and I think JB coined the phrase it's a special kind of hot. Yeah, it's just it's hot for so long, you know. I mean, it's just hot for a long long time. But I love it. I'll take it. Having grown up in cold weather, I don't want any any part of that.
Speaker 2: You never you learn to be comfortable wearing wet clothes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's gross. You know, you were saying that it goes well into September.
Speaker 3: JB. One hundred days plus.
Speaker 5: The latest one hundred degree day on record was October thirteenth last year. Last year, last year, October thirteenth, we had one hundred plus day.
Speaker 2: That's dipping right into acl Fest and all that. Yeah, never thing used to do it in August.
Speaker 1: Then they used to do it in August.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they kept moving it back, and then they moved it to September, and then they've moved it even farther back because the out of town visitors, depending on where they're from, just could not handle heat.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, they're just dropping.
Speaker 1: Well, we got TV that big radio conference is coming to Austin in August. Those people are gonna die.
Speaker 2: They're gonna walk outside and go never mind.
Speaker 1: Banana, Joe's gonna go into cardiac arrest Omlet's gonna have a tough time. Slug O the Banana. You know, those guys are gonna have a tough time. You turn Laverne, She's gonna die. Who is it?
Speaker 3: Mozetta the mood Settu Mozette of.
Speaker 1: The Mood set of just stay home, Mozetta, it's too hot for you. Uh well, all right, we're gonna find out. We're gonna be here. We're gonna find out, stick around and find out. Uh still to come on the show today. Up next, we talked to Stephen Presley, who's gonna tell us about The Rock's new movie and also an eighties TV show that's been remade into a movie. Stick Around. Stephen Presley joins us next on Austin's eighty station one three point one. Our friend Stephen Presley joins us. You can follow him on Instagram at thunder Pop TV, same handle on YouTube, and we've got a lot to cover today. And something that you brought up a few weeks ago, and it was really interesting because it was a movie was released with no marketing budget and you said they were really relying on word of mouth. The name of the movie is Sinners. The stars Michael B. Jordan and it's just a big surprise hit this spring, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they took a huge risk, you know. I think there was some budget for marketing, but very minimal compared to your normal big Hollywood movie. Yeah, but the movie ended up becoming a huge hit. It took over the top spot from Minecraft surprisingly the week that it came out, and it only had a five percent drop off its second week, which is very unusual nowadays for because movies now come out have a huge first week tend to drop off considerably their second week. There's there's exceptions, you know, obviously the movies that go on forever, but many of the movies have had huge drop offs in the second and third weeks, but only third week only a twelve percent drop off. So this movie's done really well. One of the interesting other weird or different things about this movie is its director Ryan Kugler made a deal with the studio that he gets ownership back of this movie after thirty years.
Speaker 1: Oh wow. Wow.
Speaker 4: It was a deal he made with the studios. So it's a new model that a lot of people think could become the future of movies the way he negotiated this, this deal with the with the studios.
Speaker 1: So basically after thirty years he gets it back and he can re release or market or do whatever he wants with it.
Speaker 4: Sal Yeah, whatever he wants.
Speaker 1: Huh. That's interesting. It's a different way to do I think I'm surprising to get the people that put up the money to do that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, it's one of brothers, so a big studio.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I heard it was a really good movie too. I know a lot of people have seen it and they're like, it's good.
Speaker 4: Vampires, vampires, vampire movie set in a period it's a period piece too.
Speaker 1: So does anyone have like the intellectual property rights to vampires? You know what I mean? Or is it just one of them didn't when Brohm Stroker have the original? Like you know what I'm saying, Like, can anybody go out there and make a You can't go out and make a Starship Enterprise and put it on in a movie.
Speaker 3: But you can make a space movie.
Speaker 1: Right, But I mean, yeah, but do you know what I mean? Can someone? I guess no one owns the Vampire.
Speaker 3: I don't think they do.
Speaker 4: You know, even Frankenstein is open source, like anybody can go and write. I researched this.
Speaker 1: I care.
Speaker 4: I was actually considering an idea for a Frankenstein book and that I was hoping to turn into a movie. And I still maybe maybe I'll still do it sometime. But yeah, Frankenstein's open. You can go and do anything you want on Frankenstein.
Speaker 1: That's because it aged out right after a certain number of It's a long time I mean, when did Frankenstein come out one hundred years ago?
Speaker 3: Long time ago?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: I love it that you always have ideas, Steven, always full of ideas and like you, you're like and you actually try them too.
Speaker 3: I think that's great.
Speaker 1: You're like Michael Keaton and Night Shift. You're right edible trash. Yeah, that's a callback. Now, speaking of movies, The Smashing Machine, this is Dwayne the Rock Johnson my boom quite the title.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Smashing Machine and it's Dwayne the Rock Johnson And this is the funniest I read some of the threads. The trailer dropped last week for The Smashing Machine. A lot of people were stunned by the change in appearance, Dwayne Johnson transforming himself to play Mark Kerr the m M A legend. But some of the funny comments of the threads when the trailer came out last week. One was Dwayne Johnson making his acting debut. It was funny playing a character that's not the rock right?
Speaker 3: Is this boxing or is it wrestling?
Speaker 1: Mma?
Speaker 2: Mma?
Speaker 1: He so.
Speaker 5: I follow him on social media and he was posting a lot of video of him training.
Speaker 3: He trained a lot for it.
Speaker 5: And one of the funniest ones after he put out a few videos of him training with the stuntman, he was like, why do we have to do it in underwear? The little pants that they wear to train in to fight and they look just like underwear. He's like, why does they got to be underwear? Why can't I put on some shorts?
Speaker 1: Did he did he slim down for this or did he You said his physical appearance had changed? Is he smaller?
Speaker 4: Well he has hair, oh, by way of a wig and he also the way he talks, the tone of his voice, he talks differently, you know, and also his mannerisms. He's changed quite a bit of his mannerisms with this. You know, this film, it's an A twenty four film, and A twenty four makes what I call Oscar bait. They make these art house films. They promote him really well, but they put these films out to get the critical claim claim, to get the to get notified, to get noticed during awards season.
Speaker 1: That's their thing, like, let's get so and so and Oscar here.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, so I don't see I mean, I don't see Dwayne Johnson winning an Oscar, but who knows, maybe getting a nomination. You know, they got Adam Sandler in nomination.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they used to say that about McConaughey.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, well yeah it's true.
Speaker 1: And he got one for Dallas Buyers Club, so he deserved it too. A great speech too. I can't remember it, but I remember his speech was really good speech. Moving right along, by the way. Stephen Presley is our guest. Find him on Instagram at thunder Pop tv, also same handle on YouTube. An eighties TV show being made into a movie, and you say it's been done once before. What do we got?
Speaker 4: Yeah, here we go again. Miami Vice has been confirmed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, collective grown, it would be a modern Miami Vice though right, not yet not that cheesy eighties.
Speaker 1: How can they make it not be cheesy eighties? That's what times?
Speaker 3: What was so great about it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but don't forget they did this already once and I fact that it was a two thousand and eight with Colin Ferrell and Jamie Fox. And Jamie Fox they made an updated, what at the time was a modernized version of Mimi Vice. Now, since that movie came out, people have been calling for them to do an update of the original Miami Vice universe, something that connects to that original universe, and Don Johnson's talked openly about it several times, saying, hey, you know, we we we have ongoing talks about doing something else with our version of Mimi Device. But it's really tough because it's very much of its time and to do something, you know now with that would be challenging. But here's what's interesting. This, this particular version is going to be done by the Top Gun Maverick people, So the same the director, Yeah, same writer, writer, director team. So I connected the dots and said, well, if this is is this, if this is another remake, Glenn Powell, maybe your crocodile.
Speaker 3: Kind of the golden boy right now, isn't he?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And they like him. The directors like him. They've worked with him, they know, and yeah, uh you know.
Speaker 2: They they save a lot of money on wardrobe. The suits are expensive, but you don't have to buy shirts or socks.
Speaker 1: Uh. Glenn Powell's a local guy though, right, He's from He go to ut.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he lives here. He moved back to Austin. Matthewmc coonniey. Matthew McConaughey actually is the one that encouraged him to come back to Austin after he made it big.
Speaker 1: Oh so that's he's kind of taking him on it. It's like a it's mentoring him a little bit, a little bit. Yeah.
Speaker 4: They see each other at the games, of course, on the sidelines quite a bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Matthew and his Naga hide jacket. Luck.
Speaker 2: He's a sideline life coach now too.
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, you nailed it. Tugh. He just looks wet all the time.
Speaker 4: I know, Yeah, well he is wet.
Speaker 2: I have seen him.
Speaker 1: He's leaving a Diddy party. I mean he's oil, that's what it is.
Speaker 2: A friend of mine said that about meth heads. They always look like they just showered or desperately need to shower between right, he's always looks like that he just stepped out of the shower.
Speaker 4: I hope her hears out that jacket after the Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Coming up more with Steve and we're going to talk about how you can invest into a movie studio. This is pretty cool actually, and you don't have to have a lot. The minimum to invest in is pretty cool. It's not much. We'll tell you about that. Also, the biggest movie star in the world is coming to Austin. If you play your cards right, you might get to meet this person. Find out who it is. Coming up more with Stephen Presley on Austin's eighty station one oh three point one. Stephen Presley is our guest. He joined us every Friday. We talk movies, we talk pop culture. You can find him on Instagram at thunder Pop TV. Same thing on YouTube. There's a cool new thing. It's called Legion m and this is where regular people can invest into a movie studio. And it's got some legs to it. With some big names behind it. Steven's got more info.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we can all become movie studio investors today. We can right after we get off. We can go to our computers or phones and we can dial in a there's a twenty six day window currently to become an investor in their latest offering to jump in and yeah, for a minimum of one hundred dollars and I think like eighteen cents you could. That's the minimum they require. You can become an investor. And a lot of big names attached to this project, this co op movie studio, William Shatner, Nicholas Cage, among among other organs. Freeman, Yeah, and also Yeah, and stan Lee before he passed away. Rest in peace to stan Lee also endorsed this studio.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: I think it's cool. It's like two dollars and fifteen cents a share right now, and you can invest into it. I could see is taken off. I really could because it's such a the economy of creators right now, there's so many and it costs so much less to do. I could just see this. I could see this happening. Jabe, what's your take on it?
Speaker 2: It sounds like a celebrity scam on the surface surface level, like totally we're getting scammed into something, you know, like Hoktua girls selling us bitcoin kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, But.
Speaker 2: You know, the part that's interesting is it gives an opportunity for some films to get made that would never get made. You know that they just don't what I like about it. You could do riskier films, you know, because you mentioned McConaughey, Like, wasn't he earlier, Like wasn't he even kind of bank rolling Dallas Buyers Club just to get it finished on its own?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think so. I think he paid out a pocket to get that finish and it was just such a eight film. But Hollywood's scared of those. They like superheroes and and sure things.
Speaker 1: Yeah so and remakes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if we get more interesting stories told and then you get those runaway inexpensive hits, that's what they're banking on, right, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think it's cool.
Speaker 2: It might be fun to throw the little money in there, just to keep an eye on it, see what happens.
Speaker 1: That's where I was like, throw a couple hundred dollars.
Speaker 5: At it just for fun, right, and what that just explodes down the road.
Speaker 2: Not to mention. You know, you're hanging out at a bar. You can tell them when people ask, oh I invest in films.
Speaker 1: You're not lying.
Speaker 2: You really did, right, You could say it with confidence. Dollars comes out way better than podcaster, way better.
Speaker 1: That might pull me away from my go to what do you do for a living? Broccoli farmer? Really broccoli?
Speaker 2: That's because you don't want to talk to people, right, that's a conversation stopper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. Movie move the investor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, people you're interested.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the young girls with a big smile will be paying attention to you.
Speaker 3: Because they want to be in them, but not the ones you're interested in. Broccoli.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you said.
Speaker 5: Your follow up blind to that was like, Yep, if you've eaten broccoli in the past six months or so, it's probably came from my farm.
Speaker 1: I said, if you've eaten broccoli in America in the last fifty years, it's probably come from my family's farm.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Weird, like like you rounded off at a nice fifty.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you know what girls like?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean the looks on some people's faces when I tell him that group around you nice meeting you. Who's this big movie star, biggest movie star in the world coming to Austin or around here and you play your cards right, you could meet them? Who is it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's actually San Antonio, then Dallas and it's Tom Cruise. Really is going to be here on May twenty second, he Annow said yesterday on his Instagram channel. He said, Yeah, I'm gonna be san Antonio first. Well, first he's gonna hit San Antonio. He's traveling to Fort sam Houston. He wants to tour it and meet some people for the military there, have an official meet and greet. Then he's gonna head to the theaters in San Antonio. Now he has not announced which theaters because good idea probably would get a little bit crazy with people showing up to see him. But he's gonna show up at theaters mystery theaters in San Antonio during the premiere of the last final installment of the Mission Impossible series, and he's gonna surprise fans at various theaters in San Antonio. Then he says he's gonna get on the plane and I actually I actually ask chat GPT. Does Tom Cruise fly commercial or does he fly himself when he travels the US, and oftentimes he does jump in one of his planes and flies himself from city to city.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So he's gonna he's gonna get in one of his planes. He's gonna pilot himself to Dallas and he's going to He said, I'm gonna go have some good Texas barbecue in Dallas, and then I'm going to go visit some other theaters in Dallas and surprise people there. Now, I did do a little bit of sleuthing, and he has connections to both Regal Cinema and AMC AMC theaters because he worked as a consultant on their popcorn buckets. For Mission Impossible.
Speaker 1: One, you had to have two keys for it exactly.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a bar line. Bs. I designed popcorn buckets.
Speaker 1: For movie theaters.
Speaker 2: If you've had popcorn in the last fifty years, probably bucket designed by my family.
Speaker 1: That's what we did. That's what we've done, you know, that's what we do. We make popcorn. Got to make them, someone's got to make them. A lot of money and popcorn buckets. That's kind of cool. Though. Tom Cruise is gonna be out promoting this movie by going to uh to theaters, which kind of just made me remind me of something. Our daughter's on a bus right now on our way to Corpus Christy to go see the Blue Angels. Oh yeah, which is kind of a cool thing to see the Blue Angels for these that don't know that the US Navy's aerial team. They fly jets and do cool stuff. And her are TC groups on a bus right now, Yeah, down there to see it.
Speaker 5: Sandy and I were like, if you guys, if y'all need some chaperones, we might be available. We haven't chaperoned anything else. We just want to see the Blue.
Speaker 2: Angels on stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on trip Stephen, what was the date on the tom cruise in San Antonio?
Speaker 4: May twenty second? He'll be making his rounds Antonio Dallas.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: I think he'll have his new girlfriend on a de armas with them.
Speaker 4: I wondered that. Yeah, that's going to be interesting too. Another another thing to watch for to see if she joins him.
Speaker 2: I didn't know he has a new girlfriend. Is this arranged like some of them were back in the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ontology stuff, right, I don't know is she a scientologist?
Speaker 5: I don't think so will she.
Speaker 3: On our way?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's part of the deal.
Speaker 1: Isn't it?
Speaker 2: Until she doesn't want to be anymore?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've seen this, Tom, we've seen this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely definitely seen it for sure. Always good visit with you, Steven. Make sure you follow them on Instagram at thunder Pop TV, same handle on youtubetube. And we'll do it again next week. Thank you, Steven. A good weekend. Take you more. Coming up on Austin's eighty station one oh three point one. Trisha's rocking a blonder, shorter haircut.
Speaker 3: It's my summer cut. Yeah, not unlike when you take your dog for a summer cut.
Speaker 1: You get your boys summer cuts. JB.
Speaker 2: The dogs sometimes you we'll get them a little buzz cut. They're a little wiry terriers and yeah they'll get a little summer trim Yahn.
Speaker 1: You get a little carried away one time, too many beers and shave warning my dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did my dog.
Speaker 1: I remember that. It wasn't didn't look great if I remember, right, it's not good.
Speaker 3: You get the next day and you're like, what happened to you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: He's all you did it?
Speaker 1: Did you get in trouble when you did that with your wife.
Speaker 2: Oh, she just shakes her head at me all the time.
Speaker 1: But I'm curious. So and it's an interesting world that we don't know about JB. Double reason for me. One, I don't have any hair, so I don't have to worry about get my hair cut by someone else. But two, it's a big deal when girls change their hairdresser. As we like to say, like our grandmother said, their beauty.
Speaker 3: Operator getting a new beauty operators high right, you broke up.
Speaker 1: This is You've had two breakups in the last year.
Speaker 5: I've had three breakups in the last year. It's very stressful. Your beauty operator is sacred. And if you find one that you really like that consistently does a good job, it isn't ridiculously expensive, not difficult to get into them. Then your girlfriends ask you, and you kind of don't want to tell your girlfriends because then it just makes it harder for you, exactly. But I had been going to this one salon for like six or seven years, the same guy. He did a great job. Then the last like two times I went to him, it was a little it was like, something's weird.
Speaker 3: This is I don't know. It's strange.
Speaker 5: And then he moved to a different location that was super super far south that I was like, I can't drive all the way there. So I stayed at the same salon and I tried a new girl there.
Speaker 3: It was awful.
Speaker 1: She talked all the time.
Speaker 5: Well all they all like to talk, yes, but she did. She talked a lot. But also I was like, I just want it kind of like a little bit of blonde. I have naturally very dark brown hair. I looked like Cruella Deville. I had like the bright blonde chunk and then a my natural dark brown chunk. And it took her four hours, and then I had to go back to get her to fix it.
Speaker 3: It took another three hours. So I was like, I'm not going to go to her anymore.
Speaker 1: So do you when you leave one hairdresser do He.
Speaker 5: Had to go, Hey, listen, here's what happens. You're getting ahead of me. The girl who made me look like Cruela Deville's at the salon. I called and I got a different hairdresser at the same salon.
Speaker 3: There's a bunch of them there.
Speaker 5: And while I was in the new hairdresser's chair, the old hairdresser walked by me four or five times and we made eye contact and it was incredibly uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: You don't normally. I'm not going to write her a letter and say I'm not going to go to you anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, because that girl had messed my hair up so much, the new hairdresser, it took her four and a half hours in a ridiculous amount of money to fix the damage that had been done by the other previous girl who was walking by me giving me the evil eye.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 5: So I was like, I gotta find a whole new place. I called my friend Courtney. She told me where she goes. I went there the other day and I would like to report that I think I found a new hairdresser and a lot of this dress has left my body, Thank you God.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you make it official? Do you exchange rains?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: I told I here's how you make it official. I went ahead and booked my next to points.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: It's a girl and her name is Ashley, and she's very sweet, just the right amount of talking, not constant, but not silent, and awkward, right right right right, three hours in and out, and that included my initial consultation, which I can't remember the last time I was in out in three hours. I know, y'all, and y'all have seen my hair. It's not like it's anything incredible. Why it takes so long, I don't know. I do not know.
Speaker 1: Because they want to get you in and out. It's not like they're charging you by the hour, right, they want to get you in and out as fast as they can.
Speaker 3: Do you think of my haircuts, Sandy, Oh, I get short.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it. I mean you'll be unhappy with it in two weeks, I think I will. Yeah. I mean what happens is Tricia just her hair gets to a certain length and she doesn't do anything with it. Then she just puts it in a ponytawil Right, you're two weeks from that.
Speaker 3: My hair doesn't for that fast.
Speaker 5: Part of the reason my hair was so long before this cut was because you are always doing the grow it out, get long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see what happens.
Speaker 5: And I always say, as soon as it's long enough to be in a ponytail, that's all you're going to see.
Speaker 3: And so finally I just I told her. I was like, chop it off, let it go.
Speaker 5: But I'm a little blonde, little peppy with my blonde a little bit right. Summary summary is my summer cut, my summer color. But a beauty operator very important for most girls, especially when you're doing any kind of color. I mean, it's it's just one of those relationships that when you find it good, when.
Speaker 1: You hang on, yeah, mesmerizing. I'm just interested in this because it's a whole deal that I don't have to deal with.
Speaker 3: I know, I know.
Speaker 5: So anyway, look you see here. I would just go to Supercuts and get it trimmed a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's try.
Speaker 2: Too complicate it. I have like three different barbers I go to out of convenience because I always like, want it now, and so I'll look online do they have one? In the next hour?
Speaker 1: I saw something cool, Jbe I thought of you. Actually it's very random. But on ESPN they were doing a It's old. It was done in two thousand and seven. Remember when they did the documentaries thirty for thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, any of the thirty for thirties are good worthwhile. They're so well done.
Speaker 1: And they did what on the Sugar Ray Leonard Roberto Duran fights and it was really cool because they were following Sugar Ray and he got in his car and he drove to a barber shop. And the barber shop was one guy in an airstream trailer with a barber pole out front. He had converted his whole stream into a barber shop. I'm like, that's genius, that's very cool.
Speaker 2: There's the one that's like a tiny house on wheels in East Austin, just off like Caesar Chaves and maybe Chillery. I go buy it on the bike all the time, and I just think that's just just a little pop up. I think if a building's under four hundreds square feet or something, you don't even need a permit, like you can just pop Yeah.
Speaker 1: But does this this one you're talking about East Austin, does it move around?
Speaker 2: It's usually in the same spot, but it's just a little trailer and there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, really smart clever. Yeah yeah. So well, I'm glad you're settled in for a little while. There'll be a pissing match between you and your beauty operator in the next six twelve months.
Speaker 5: I'll never fight with my beauty operators. I just silently break up and never go back.
Speaker 1: That's what I used to do when I was single. It just changed my phone number. It was just easier. Make sure you join us again Monday seven until eight o'clock for the jb In Sandy Hour and a reminder a chance for you to one thousand bucks coming up at nine on Austin's eighties station one O three point one and streaming on the iHeartRadio app