Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of April fourteenth, we are continuing with Running Point on Netflix. So with episode four, do janchi, which is the name of a Korean ceremony that.
Speaker 3: Families do with their one year old babies.
Speaker 2: And they've actually I've read about this before. They showed it on the thing. But they give the baby some options of things like some money or there was a ball, and I don't know.
Speaker 3: What the other things were.
Speaker 2: But basically it's like sort of trying to tell your baby's fortune or what their future will be based on what they pick from this array of goodies.
Speaker 1: So, yes, you would think that Isla would maybe be pushing the kid towards the ball. I know, but as we know, as we learned from the poor underpaid basketball player, the ball does not necessarily cut.
Speaker 3: With money, right, the poor kid.
Speaker 1: I have heard of that. You've heard of the Korean tradition. I have heard of the basketball tradition of having the rookie by everybody very expensive. I don't know where what I was reading that had that situation in it, right, I guess it's a thing that happens, which which is fine if everybody is getting paid a huge amount, but when the dinner is pretty much what that kid is making the entire year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like the rookie is always going to be making the least, you know. Yeah, Like, I guess unless there were some they got some kind of incredible signing bonus or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, well Marcus stepping up again and being the adult. Yes, he's the parent figure for this team. Sure it is finding a way to.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It, woul didn't necessarily do it without embarrassing to guy, but still did it. And yeah, that's good because otherwise the guy would have been a debtorous president and unable to come.
Speaker 3: Right to actually play.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's why that that's why Marcus did it because he.
Speaker 1: Needs he needs everybody on the courts so he doesn't have.
Speaker 3: To have to be playing all the time.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God to just get slipped the guy an envelope before they went to dinner in a little morech screet but that's okay.
Speaker 2: Well it seemed like he didn't even go to the dinner, like he didn't. Yeah, because he's kind of above all that, right right, so.
Speaker 1: Yikes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would be definitely the parental figure coming into bail failed out the kid.
Speaker 3: So thank you Marcus for being a stand up guy. Yes he is apprecia. Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: From a parenting point of view. There was a lot of this about how obligations to friends and family can sometimes mess things up for you, whether it's having to have your disgusting brother staying in your very nice and extremely clean, extremely clean dwelling, or having to leave a meeting very quickly to go help your friend with the ceremony or you know, having to pay for all your friends for a very expensive meal when you do not have money.
Speaker 2: And was the implication that Isla left without really closing the deal.
Speaker 1: I don't know, because it seems like she had, but that did. But maybe these guys then went behind her back and did something else.
Speaker 3: Yeah after she left.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, or just did what they wanted to do anyway and brought the Boston guy in on it. It was I imagine, we're going to see that dude again, and I hope we see Jerry. Yes, Jerry, it was Jerry.
Speaker 2: Jerry come up, Yes, parks and rec friends return.
Speaker 1: Yay, it's that guy. I remember that guy. He was a little more sharky than.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jerry would never.
Speaker 2: Cherry would just be like, you know, let me get you a towel, sweetie when she got out of the pot.
Speaker 1: Up right, and then he would trip on the wet deck and everybody would laugh at him.
Speaker 2: Yes, but uh.
Speaker 1: And yeah. Another thing parenting wise that you have to teach your children is that getting a good job does not necessarily mean you're rich. In this guy's case, he's got a pretty good job, pretty good paycheck, but yeah, for not in comparison to his teammates. It is, you know, a temptation of young people, including myself once upon a time, that oh well great I get a job, now I can buy this, I can buy that. Actually, my daughter sort of feels like that about her. Wendy Cellar Definitely, he's like, yeah, have at some point you have to not spend money, right, I know it's it's it's hard, Yeah, but you gotta look at the paycheck and use that as your frame of reference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: And we uh met Sandy's boyfriend played by Scott Evans.
Speaker 2: Scott Evans, I think we met him before.
Speaker 1: Did we meet him before?
Speaker 2: Yeah, briefly, because they established that, you know, he was there and that Sandy, for whatever reason, is hiding him from the rest of the family. I guess because he's a dog groomer, and that's he feels ashamed.
Speaker 3: I don't it's not super clear.
Speaker 1: Hey, you know, he'll never have to pay for dog roommate exact rightly family that he groomed the whole family dogs. Have we seen any dogs? Do these people own dogs? Shady if they don't own dogs. Yeah, I don't think we approve of that. Your studio audience a dog.
Speaker 3: Of course they're quiet right now? Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean because if Eila had a dog, you know, she would have like tripped over it, or she would have you know, it would have yanked her down the street in front of somewhat important or something.
Speaker 1: But maybe if she got a dog, she would be happier. Well, she's pretty okay, suspicious of people who don't have dogs.
Speaker 3: There we go. Can you hear it? Yes?
Speaker 1: From a distance, weighing.
Speaker 3: In, Yes, always.
Speaker 1: Get a dog, Get a dog.
Speaker 3: Isla, yeah, I get a dog. It's great thinking.
Speaker 1: On these people who aren't nice. Do you get a pit bull? You know, strike the appropriate note of fear. Right, a German shepherd? Get one of those like real sweety pie German shepherds that people are still scared of. I have one of those.
Speaker 3: Things? Just happened?
Speaker 1: Is the male here?
Speaker 3: Is that what it is? Oh my gosh? Or it's a bike. We we have a thing about bicycles.
Speaker 1: I don't know why they're they're dangerous, you know, yeah they can hit a dog, I guess.
Speaker 3: Ah. Anyway, yeah we didn't.
Speaker 2: We didn't get to see Jackie in this episode like at all, except for as a text message. They do have a siblings group chat. Now that's that's nice. Of course, that's nice that they included Jackie in it.
Speaker 1: There was some you know, some good sibling manipulation in you know, getting to stay in your brother's house right through various Yeah, guilty in guilt and that's uh, that's a thing that's our sibling content for this right, for sure, they did that that sitcom thing of setting up a responsibility at the beginning that you know is going to be impossible to make. So is she going to get back in time? Is she is? She sets up like the stakes for the episode. Is she going to get back in time? So she does get back in time, but the deal goes weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but also.
Speaker 1: Like scrap that didn't get turned up, well, I guess does it get turned around in the next episode.
Speaker 2: Usually, I mean in the past in the first few episodes that got turned around by the end of the episode.
Speaker 3: So this was a you know.
Speaker 1: A departure happened at the end of the Yes, a little wait, a little cliffhanger, which the cliffhangers are not the same. Now that you can just watch the next episode to meet right, Remember how you had to wait a week yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean just the season of White Load is just finished up, and that one was released week by week, and it's been a lot of talk about how like, yeah, that's that was the way to do it, because it should be the whole The whole show was building too, you know who died which all the seasons of WHITELOADUS.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: And you know, if you can just watch ahead.
Speaker 1: Then yeah, well see the problem is though, the once a week only works if you're watching it in real time. If you're watching it later on, you.
Speaker 3: Can just binge it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know in our day, well, I guess you could tape once there were VCRs, you could tape it and then watch it all on one time right by that time the season's over. Everybody's talked about if who cares? Right anyway? So did you watch the White LOADUS?
Speaker 3: I did?
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, I've been I do not watch things, but I read reviews of them, so then I people have not been happy with this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think Parker Posey giving what sounds like it was a pretty big performance.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, she was great. I think it's been mixed.
Speaker 2: I mean, some people have really liked it and some have you know, like, no, this was the worst one, you know, I mean, they're all about rich people doing terrible things and you think they're going to be consequences and then actually, no, there really aren't.
Speaker 3: So I mean, in.
Speaker 2: The second one, a rich person did meet their end, but it was not one of the more obnoxious rich people.
Speaker 1: Okay, And people enjoy watching this, do they?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Oh, one hundred percent. They like.
Speaker 1: Sounds like at our particular moment in time, people would object to that.
Speaker 2: They like because the conceit is the same for all three where in the very first episode, like usually at the beginning of the first episode, you see someone has died, but you don't know who or how, and so then for the next six to eight episodes you're trying to find out what happened. So it's Carrie Kuhn was in this carry Kuhn was in it.
Speaker 3: Yep, she was great.
Speaker 2: She was She was part of a trio of girlfriends that were on a girl's trip. And you know, three is not usually the magic number for any for.
Speaker 3: This kind of thing.
Speaker 1: We have discussed, we have discussed.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it did so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most of the recaps and reviews were calling it the Girl's Trip from Hell just because yeah, things didn't go But anyway, it's I mean, it's fun to see the the incredible, you know locations. The first one was on Maui or one of the Hawaiian islands, and then the next one was Sicily, and then this one was Thailand, and you know, so they're just these incredibly luxurious resorts, these places. Yeah, so yeah, there.
Speaker 1: Was we'll have to link to this in the show notes now that even though we're talking about a show that is not the show we're talking about. But Brian Grubb did a like Google reviews of the White Lotus resort.
Speaker 2: Somebody died and I would like my stay comped please.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: He also has extolled the virtue of a screen cap with Carrie Koon from that show, and the caption on the bottom is something like no no, no, no, no bleep that use this in all our group chat.
Speaker 3: That's right, Yes, that would work for sure.
Speaker 1: I just read about that show. I have no desire to watch it whatsoever. But as he's often my way of consuming entertainy, I listened to people talk about it on podcasts and I read Brian Grubb and Ellen exactly, but a running Point is fairly painless to watch. It's short, it's it's uh glossy. It has people I recognize in it, so yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 2: And it has a similar, you know, rich people gonna rich people situation.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, that dwelling that Sandy had. Is it a house? It's a house, right. I was quite sure if it was a house or an apartment, but it.
Speaker 2: Was no because at the end he walked up to it, okay, it was out running and he yeah.
Speaker 1: It's just extremely does not look look like anyhow. I mean, it's it's so neat and clean and nice looking. So clearly the man does not have children.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: His brother tried pretty hard to mess it up, but he's still it was still looking pretty glam.
Speaker 3: It was pretty much confined to the guests through. I would say, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think the next time i'm feeling depressed, I'm gonna get the McDonald's Wendy's.
Speaker 3: In and out Jersey.
Speaker 1: Dang it. Have you ever been somewhere there's an in and out?
Speaker 2: I mean, I've been to California, but I don't.
Speaker 3: I never end up getting in and out.
Speaker 1: When I was there, I got into in and out late in my life in California, and so I never got quite enough of it. But it's the hamburgers are very good and they are wrapped in such a way that you can eat them in the car. Yeah that's the in and out and uh very la yeah yeah yeah, and uh good good hamburgers. There was also a place called Fatburger that made the exact opposite. Hamburger was just something that you cannot possibly eat without getting stuff.
Speaker 3: All over it, right, you basically need.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is the gamut. But so anyway, anything else else we have here. From a parenting point of view, it's possible to be over confident. Watch out for that. Yes, if you have a feeling of I have done the great thing and now I'm just going to exit stage right and everything will stay the same, probably you won't to overthink that, right. Good note for Sawyer, I'm lost.
Speaker 3: Indeed.
Speaker 1: No, boy, that thing where you're texting somebody and you see their little bubble pop up and then it goes away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that happened to Sandy because he did a dumb thing.
Speaker 1: He did. He did not tell his family about his I.
Speaker 3: Really get the feeling that they wouldn't care.
Speaker 1: So they would not care, and he should have known they wouldn't care.
Speaker 2: But yeah, as you say, is but he's a little he's insecure as the as the half sibling before the youngest and the half blink from the oldest three until Jackie came along.
Speaker 3: So he should be like it.
Speaker 1: Doesn't even really count yet because he didn't grow up.
Speaker 3: With everything exactly.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he's he's obviously also that that fella might want to like invest in a comb. What is with his hair? It's a thing. It's clearly a thing because he's here the same no the sandy.
Speaker 2: Oh Sandy, Yeah, it's like the same.
Speaker 1: Peak of up every week. Is there gel involved? Is there? Maybe his dog, groom or boyfriend is the one who's making sars? Why he's embarrassed to talk about? You? Start asking? Is he the reason for that? Can we scritch you on the head there?
Speaker 2: Well maybe we'll Maybe we'll find out next week to that.
Speaker 1: Maybe we will.
Speaker 2: So next Wednesday, it's season one, episode five. It's called best Shirt And why did they keep doing this to me?
Speaker 1: I'm glad you're the one who has to pronounce them.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout roundup of things that we know how to pronounce.
Speaker 1: Theoretically. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash Shop slash Mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.