Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's do it, ladies and gents. It is hour number two here on a Wednesday afternoon coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. Take us with you wherever you go, listen live on the hour or radio app Listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com for those just now joining us. I think we had a fun first hour, and I'm sorry you missed out on it, but we'll tray in here in the second hour. We'll try to recreate the magic, if we can call it that. But I do want to hit on I think the biggest story right now when it comes to college foototball, but it kind of doesn't seem like a huge story. And that is the decision that the NCAA Committee on Infractions made earlier today when they handed down a heavy suspension or a heavy penalty, I should say, including a suspension for someone who no longer coaches college football and will never coach college football again. So Jim Harball received a four year show cause, including a one season suspension from the instabla's Committee on Infractions in connection with violations of the COVID nineteen dead period in twenty twenty one. I got to be honest with you, I wasn't even sure this. I didn't even know this was something they were still I didn't even know this was going on, meaning they were in the midst of a Committee on Infractions case. So a lot of people probably hear that, and you know, you're just driving around. You hear a national update and you're not really paying close attention, but you hear somebody getting a four year show cause and a one year suspension, and you hear Michigan. You just think, wow, man, that's what they get for sign stealing. I guess in this Netflix documentary that's about to come out, I guess Connor Stallions was singing he was telling on everybody. But no, this is actually for something not in not even close to I mean, it's something from many years ago that doesn't meet that. I mean, there's no even if like in a perfect world, I'm sorry, I'm distracted. There's a lot of noise going on out side. Was that coming through?
Speaker 3: I hear it too, and it wasn't coming through, but i's outside my hallway.
Speaker 2: To you rarely hear people being that loud right outside the door. Somebody must have made a really funny joke. I've completely lost my train of thought. But anyways, if that's if this was any other coach, any other program, and there was in fractions from recruiting violations during the dead period in twenty twenty one from COVID, I feel like it would have been a much lighter penalty, And you know, it probably would have happened long ago. Now, what I don't know is that did they do this because he's just stop cooperating with him because he doesn't owe them anything right, Like it's it's similar to whenever the guys who left Louisville were wanting were being hit up by the nc double A to talk about the Louisville instead A violations, they didn't have to. Mean, the NTABA doesn't have subpoena power. They can't make you talk. Now, I mean, the school probably will beg you to talk and cooperate because your decision not to cooperate hurts them. Even if even if it is something that you're gonna be honest about, that's a bad thing that is going to potentially be, you know, confirming the allegations they're they're you know, they're alleging you still need to cooperate or they're gonna look at that as you know, you're hiding something and they're gonna holp a school accountable. But like with Jim Harball, like he doesn't he doesn't care at all about the NC double A because he's never gonna coach in college football again. Even if they didn't give him this punishment. I don't think he was ever gonna coach in college foot again. He came to Michigan to do what he wanted to do, and that was bring them a national championship. He had to cheat to do it, but he did it, and he'll never admit it. But clearly, I mean, I'm sure he didn't get any fingerprints on it, like a lot of coaches in that position would do, right if they know there's some things going on that are giving them an advantage over others. They got others doing the dirty work, and they're not going to be involved in any communication about it. They're not going to have any fingerprints on it, as I said, because that's just what you would do if you're going to go about it, you know, the smartest way possible. So again, it feels like a big story. But to me, it also kind of feels like nonsense because inn s douaa. I mean, I feel like, and I laid this out earlier, I really feel like they thought they did something big here that they put out a put everybody on notice. Hey, despite the perception of our organization right now, we're still out here and we will punish those who do not follow our rules. But you didn't. You punished somebody who like it. I can't even call it a punishment, Like that's like me getting suspended from the NBA. Oh bummer, because without that suspension, man, I'd be starting for the Denver Nuggets, Like what are you doing here? I also, to be fair, know that they've got to they you know, they've many times given out show cause and punishments that include suspensions for guys that aren't coaching because they got in trouble. But he's not coaching because he left, So I don't know. I just to me, I think this actually turns into another day where people find themselves pondering what are we doing here? Like we need the NABAA to do anything we need. We need the instuablea tournament, but we could probably do something without them. It would be the same. And life without the inc DOUBLEA tournament, the best sporting event in the world is a world I don't want to live in, but I'm sure we'd get by. I used to fear change a lot more than I do now, but with football, we don't need them at all. I mean, like the nstaas could exist if they only were governing the non revenue sports and the Division two, Division three level or the lower level of Division one. But right now, man, it is so clear this is a billion dollar business. Players are going to get paid a lot of money. There's going to be so much money coming into these universities from sponsorships they didn't previously have on the field, on their stadium, on their uniforms. Heck, the Big twelve is going to have a big sponsor on their referees during games, so everybody's going to be getting paid. There still is going to be rules in place, but we don't need the instead a A to do it. Have the power for and I guess we'll throw Notre Dame in there too, have the power forward. Notre Dame vote on somebody to be the commissioner of the college football. You know, we don't have to call it college football because it's really not college football anymore. This is this is very much pro sports. So there'd still be rules in play, should still have to abide by. You still have to do things on the up and up. But like inst double A's just not then they're irrelevant anymore, and they have been for a while, to be honest with you, and their decision today just proves what we've already known, and that is that they're out of touch and they're delusional if they think that that, if they think what they did today really did anything, they're delusional. All right, again, it's Coffee and Company. We are feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us here on a Wednesday fall. Lines are open if you guys want to jump in. We did take some calls earlier, so faboh two five seven seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to call in text line faboh two six five three zero seven ninety It's the L and N Federal Credit Union TEXTLM. Before we get to the text line this this is this is good news for women's college basketball. Speaking of the East of LA, the Division one Board of Directors propos a new revenue distribution model for women's hoops. So this is similar to what currently exists with the men's basketball tournament. So this proposal, if approved, would allocate a pool of money that starts at fifteen million for the upcoming INSUAA Tournament next season, and then it's going to increase to twenty five million by the twenty twenty seven to twenty eight tournament. So the distribution formula, it's the same thing as the men's tournament. And what this does it aims to reward teams based on how they perform in the Big Dance, which obviously there's been a long standing disparity in how the NAA distributes revenue between men's and women's sports. So women's basketball, and I hope it's sustainable because I do think clearly you had a real explosion of just elite talent that became famous in a way I've never seen a women's college basketball player become famous. And I'm not just talking about Caitlyn Clark. I mean Angel Rees also became like a very I mean, she's a celebrity, and it's you know, because she's a basketball player, but you know, she's known by people and is in circles with people of celebrity status that probably never watch women's basketball, and if they do now, it's probably because of the attention that you know, the stars of college basketball the last couple of years have brought to the game. I mean, you still have some really good players out there. The young lady at USC, I forget her name, but she's I mean, she's got a chance to be one of the all time greats. Obviously, is it Paige Buker's Is that her name? She's back at Yukon's. She's been at star for quite some time. So the women's tournament man women's college basketball. I mean I went from somebody who really only watched when Jeff Wallas's team was playing and really only kept up with it when it comes to how what's going on impacts Louisville women's basketball, and that will still I'm not gonna lie to you and act like I'm all in watching a ton of women's hoops just year round, because I'm not. But the entertainment value has gotten has gotten better. And it's not to say that you know, you won't find some poor play here and there, but I mean, the highest level of women's college basketball in recent years I think has been a pretty damn good product, and the viewership has shown that. And if you want to give all that credit to Kaitlin Clark and some of it to Angel, that's fine. But like maybe if you don't ever see a player like Kaitlyn Clark again, which maybe you won't, maybe the attention that she and the other stars in the last few years brought to the game created fans that would not have existed without them, if that makes sense. Or speaking of watching games, this is one of those studies that I'm interested in, but I question how accurate it really is as far as how they went about it. But this study was put together by Talker Research on behalf of squad Locker, and it's to determine how many games a year die hard sports fans watch. They call them raging sports fans, which I mean, I'm a big sports fan. I don't know where the rage comes in. I mean, I have a rage if my team loses. In fact, I have more rage now if like I lose a bet that was a bad beat or something like that. But they say that sports fans watch one hundred and twenty games per year. So they pulled two thousand American sports fanatics to uncover just how emotionally invested fans are, how much they pay to follow along and represent their teams, and how sports have given fans have returned on their emotional and financial investments. So the survey split sports fans into different categories depending on their level of commitment to their team or player. So it says here a third of the respondents thirty two percent said they're moderate fans who watch a few sports games here and there. Half forty eight percent labeled themselves as big fans who watch most games, and a fifth, which is twenty percent, are all in and self identified as raging fans who watch every single game they can. So it says here, being a raging fan comes with a price tag. Raging fans, again, these are the most die hard or they report they spend on average eight hundred and seventy nine dollars and forty cents on tickets to live sporting events, concessions, apparel, collectibles, memorabilia, and streaming services per year. I mean, I per year. I mean, I've spent more than that, but I don't, I mean don't even I don't even pay for tickets to like Louisville games, Like I don't feel like that, Like I don't think that's a lot. And again that's not because I'm like, you know, eight hundred and seventy nine bucks. You know, I spent that on lunch today. That's that's not the way I'm trying to come off. But like, think about it per year, Like if you go to a game, you go to one game, and you go and you get concessions, what are you spending one hundred and fifty bucks? I mean, maybe I'm out of touch with the cost of things, but last I check, things are pretty expensive. So per year, I mean again, streaming services, it's tough to know, right because right now there's not a standalone sports streaming service, right, So if you pay for YouTube TV, I mean I only watch it for sports. So therefore I guess I would say annually, and gosh, what I'm paying for YouTube TV now, I think it's like sixty bucks a month, so times that by twelve. Yeah, I mean I just feel like that that number is off. If you go to games like even somewhat like even if you go to like three games a year, I feel like you're spending more than that on just being there at the game and concessions, parking and all that stuff. So U And look, I don't watch really any game from start to finish unless it's a game that features a team that I really really care about, or it's a big game like a national championship game, a playoff game, something like that. And if it's a game, I bet on I'm not watching the whole thing unless again, we're talking about a standalone prime time you know, Super Bowl matchup kind of thing where this you know, the conference championships that kind of thing, and with our phones, Like, are we really watching that closely? The only again maybe this is just me, but the only game I'm I'm literally dialed in from start to finish if I can, you know, maybe maybe something happens where I got to you know, I gotta go help my kid with something like you know, like life can get in the way a little bit. But the only games that I would really care to make it an appointment to view and make sure I have, you know, my all of my attention focused on the game is is like a Louisville game, and that would have to honestly be like a big game. I mean, I'm gonna watch every game they play, but when they're playing Popcorn State the but Hoole Tech in a non conference matchup and they're up fifty, I mean, I might, you know, pop open my phone and miss a few plays here and there because you know it's that kind of game. I mean, are you with me? John? Absolutely?
Speaker 3: What was the number that you said of the amount of games watched per year per fan?
Speaker 2: Was that on? Was that one of your stance? Yeah? So one hundred and twenty games per year. Let's see, let me double check the numbers here. So the one third of the respondents said that they they watch a few sports games here and there, which I don't know what the hell that means. The diehards labeled themselves as big fans and they watch almost every game they can, whereas twenty percent are they all in and say they watch every actual I'm sorry. The twenty percent is the ones who say they watch every single game they can. So when they say one hundred and twenty games per year, they don't really say, like.
Speaker 3: Like what sport or anything else.
Speaker 2: They don't say what sport. They don't say, uh, they don't say you know how that's divided, right, meaning like do the diehards watch one hundred and twenty? Do the raging fans watch one hundred and twenty? Orre they just saying that collectively, you know, because.
Speaker 3: When I think about what I'm dialed into, if I if I'm just putting Indiana basketball and football the two biggest things same here too, that probably what's that maybe fifty games something like that. Yeah, if that may maybe not even that much.
Speaker 2: So like put it this way, if Kentucky is on, I'm gonna watch, but not watch the way I watched Louisville. So did I still watch? You know what I mean? Like just to say you watched the game? There's a lot of ways that could be interpreted, right, Like did you check it out and keep up with what was going on but not watch every play? Did you sit there the entire time? Like, for example, if Kentucky's playing somebody at noon and you know, Louisville's not on until the night, and I have Kentucky's game on at noon and you know, at the end of the first quarter, they're up three touchdowns, and I feel like they're going to cruise and it won't be like a potential upset that I you know, that I'll get to enjoy. I'm probably not going to watch another second of it. Technically, did I still watch it? You know what I mean? Like this is and here and the other thing too.
Speaker 3: If you include like NBA or MLB, those those seasons have eighty plus games, one hundred and something plus games, So I mean, if you're dialed into one of those teams, I mean, maybe that number does check out.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there are some people out there that do this, but I have a hard time believing people who claim that they watch every game of a baseball season or an NBA season, Like I just I mean, I don't know how you would be able to do that unless you genuinely have no life.
Speaker 3: Maybe one of those things where they maybe they treat it kind of like a podcast, like they're on so often that maybe while you're driving just just off on the phone. Is just there's background noise and you're trying to take it in while you're driving from point A to point B.
Speaker 2: Right, So this is a little bit of more of a this is just some more context to the to the study here, it says, looking at how playing a sport growing up influences sports fandom, seventy one percent of sports fans reported they played sports as a youth, and twenty eight percent played at the college level, and those who played sports growing up, almost half said that they dreamed of playing sports as a professional. Of course, that's a no brainer, It says that, and it turns out that turning on the TV or attending a match has a real life impact on fans. Thirty percent of responding supported they like to pick a sport they used to play after watching the pros, and a fifth even want to try a new sports see. Like, I mean, when I think of people watching sports like NFL, college football, college basketball, NBA women's college basketball, I mean, MLB whatever, maybe I don't ever think of the behavior to be, Oh, this will get more people interested in playing. Well, I mean you can go play. I mean, if you watch the NFL every Sunday, are you inclined to like go buy yourself a helmet and go find a field with people and like, what do we like? I've never once had any interest in determining that type of behavior. From a fan, meaning when they watch, oh, I need to go. I need to go get in shape because I'm going to go out there and try to make it in the league. Like, this is a stupid study. I'm sorry I brought it up. It's stupid. What a wasted time. I apologize.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a waste of time. Why is everything going to be a wasted time?
Speaker 1: Sometimes?
Speaker 2: I mean it just I just feel like it's stupid. It is the way they went about it, because again, watching something is so loosely defined.
Speaker 3: So I thought whatever you said initially before you explain it, that it meant that the impact of watching a team for the first time like influences your fandom.
Speaker 2: I think there's truth to that for sure, Oh of course. But like if you're polling, like if you're but if you're asking people now, if you're watching the NFL now as a grown man, how is that going to make you want.
Speaker 3: To go play football? In terms of playing it? That's that's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean, look, I actually find it fascinating. Maybe that's not the right word, but like, I think it's quite clear when you're a kid, when when the emotional attachment to a team hits you right, because it's just like my son, he's four, and it's I mean, I kind of had to tell them that, you know, the lot familiar in the Ville game, they tied and they all hugged it out at the end. I didn't know. I didn't, I didn't. I didn't tell them about the Hawk tour from Nanu in the in the blowout, that was.
Speaker 3: That was you know, deer first like rage moment as a U of lhow.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely yeah, whenever Louisville lost. Uh in when Louisville lost in the n c DOUAA tournament. But I was so young, it wasn't rage, It was sad tears. Uh it was. It was when Louisvill lost in the NCAA Tournament in nineteen ninety seven to to North Carolina and Duan Whet got hurt. I made all the way to the Elite eight. The team had Anton Jamison, Vince Carter, and I was really sad because at that point I was just at the age to where like I'd watched Louisvill basketball before then, and I was very much a fan, and you know, all I talked about was Louisville basketball. I remember learning as a young kid at like six and seven about players that played in the eighties before I was around, just because I was obsessed. I mean, I have a pretty I have a pretty obsessive and addictive personality to where even as a kid, like I was all in on whatever, I was all in on. I was all in on it. But it was more of just like like at the young age, it wasn't really about the competitive side of it. It was just about like, man, this is awesome, Like I love this team, and you know, I e whn they would lose, like I'd be bummed, but like they could have lost at a certain age, they could go over thirty two and I would be like, I don't care. I love them. These are my favorite players. Like I would just I would be a young kid. But once I saw them go deep in the tournament at the age of eight seven eight, that was when it was like, Okay, this is pretty special, Like they're doing something really cool here. I saw the bracket. I'm like, oh wow, like, man, they were only a few winns away from cutting down some nets or something. I'm not even sure if I knew that was the thing at the time, but that was when that was the first emotional thing for me to where I was like, all right, this is sad, this is I don't know if I want to do this anymore. I don't want to feel this pain again for you. Go ahead and tell me yours, cause it's going to make me feel But I'm prepared. I'm prepared.
Speaker 3: And I don't know that this is the first one, but this is the earliest one that I remember. But when when Indiana this was the twenty I guess twelve or thirteen team, the team that won the Big Ten but cut down the nets after they lost to Ohio State when they lost that game.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it was.
Speaker 3: I think I was just so just into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: And that's the first time I ever cried watching an Indiana team lose. And to top it all off, that's when they cut down the nets after a loss and got made fun of.
Speaker 2: Well, that was that was a special team for you, because that was honestly the first team they had that you were old enough to know what was going.
Speaker 3: On, and they were really good well, and you saw a lot of those players go through the really hard times, the six win season, ten win season, that type of stuff.
Speaker 2: It was the breakthrough for Cream. Yes, you know, they still had a good run. They just came up a little short in the tournament, and they still won the Big Ten regular season, didn't they. Yes, Yeah, I quick break. We'll keep it rolling along here. It's coffee and company, feel both. Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. You've got a soft spot for Keith Urban. I like it.
Speaker 3: I've seen Keith Urban at the Young Center before.
Speaker 2: He's talented. Man, I don't consider him to be like country, but I don't really know if that matters or.
Speaker 3: He's one of those who veered over from the traditional country and like, you know, the early two thousand since to the pop style bro country into the twenty tens. See, I don't maybe calling him bro country, bro country, but it's still more pop country nowadays.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I kind of find name as one of those guys that I don't know, I don't know where to put him, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So him and Brad Paisley two of the best country guitarists. I feel like.
Speaker 2: Brad Paisley, I just feel like he's always been really really corny and lame.
Speaker 3: And they're both very corny, but Here's the thing though, what they get. They can both play guitar very.
Speaker 2: Well well like and I would totally trust your judgment on that. I would have no clue although I have heard both are great guitar players before. But like some of Brad Paisley's songs were just like, look you there, I gotta buy. Yeah, it's just it's like, honestly, it's kind of cringe for me. With Keith Urban. I don't feel like there's really been ever any like, not to say I've liked every one of his songs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fell in Love in the Back of a cop Car. That's a little corny and cringey.
Speaker 2: Is that is that Urban?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is it?
Speaker 2: I didn't think I knew that. If I heard it, I probably would be that. Ye, clearly that's Keith Urban. Yeah I didn't. Are you sure that's him? I'll take your word for it. Serious, Yeah, I mean I'm looking up his discography.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Here, Also Blue Ain't Your Color? I think that's one of his two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's more like a love song.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I feel like he's one of those guys that, although country has clearly been the you know, if you look at all of his like all of his hits and you go to like which ones got it charted? It's mostly country, So I mean that's that's what it's mostly.
Speaker 1: Know.
Speaker 2: Gosh, he's got Where the Black Top Ends? That song is twenty three years old. That makes me feel sold. Do you know that song?
Speaker 3: That's from what his debut album?
Speaker 2: But for the grace of God, God, he's good man. He has some really good songs. And now these songs are old. We're talking twenty plus years old raining on Sunday. Like I don't maybe it's just a different time in country, but.
Speaker 3: Like crazy, so he started off like in the nineties era that you love, and he's kind of just always been around.
Speaker 2: Days go by, you'll think of me, who wouldn't want to be me? Making memories of us? Like he's really good. I would. I've never seen him live and I've never really had any interest, but he's He's got a lot of hits, man. And that is one of the things now that I'm adding to the list John of things that make me feel old is to see when a song came out. I'm like, yeah, that's four or five years old. No, it's plus years old. Crazy to me? All right, it's coffee and Company Field by Thornton's here. You're crazy if you're not fueled by Thornton's like we are, so sign up to become a member. You still get that free red bull. By the way, I'm not a red Bull guy, more of a Monster Energy Drink guy, but yeah, you can get a free red bull for signing up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program. You also save money at the gas pump, and there's all kinds of other perks that come with it, because if you're a member, you're gonna make that the place where you stop to get gas because you're saving money. And oh, by the way, you're gonna be tempted to walk in there and see all the great other items they have at Thornton's. You can still get eighty nine cent humongous Fountain drink Fizz Freeze. They've got three for seven with the Monster Energy drinks, which is a pretty good deal compared to what the prices are elsewhere. That's my go to. They've got some new items and they're new to me. I just haven't seen them yet because usually when I go there in the mornings, they've got all their delicious breakfast food. But yesterday, I'm sorry, earlier today I was there and I saw they've got some new mini tacos available. They look delicious. They also have some pretzel bites, so check them out Thornton's. You know, I believe that they have changed the stigma out there when it comes to gas station and convenience store food because nowadays, I feel like people don't have the same mindset of like, oh man, I'm only going to eat at a gas station slash convenience store if I have to, and those no other options. Now people are be lining over there for lunch during their lunch break at work to go get some of those delicious food items they have, So again, shout out to our friends over there Thorntons. All right, we were talking earlier about the you know, the raging sports fan and how much money you spend per year on tickets and subscriptions to watch games, merchandise, concessions, all that stuff. And appreciate the effort on that study, but I didn't find it to be super accurate or you know, useful. But somebody did send this in which doesn't fully give any update to the survey we referenced but I was talking about tickets, like if if you go to a few games a year, I mean, you're going to be spending a lot of money on tickets because they're not cheap. But this is a list of the most defensive tickets for games this year for the upcoming twenty twenty four college football season, and right now, the most expensive ticket by ninety eight bucks is Texas and Texas a and m first game as a conference foes. In fact, when the last time they played each other? I guess, gosh, I bet it's been been well over ten years then so the age. So the average price for that ticket to get into that game is six hundred and twenty five dollars. Army Navies coming in at number two. Kind of a surprise there at five hundred and twenty seven dollars. Then you have Texas and Michigan. When do they play? That's early, it's an early game. It's like is that week one? Maybe week two?
Speaker 3: I think it's week two.
Speaker 2: And then Texas and Oklahoma that's just you know, an annual rivalry game that is going to be big time. I'm sure that's an expensive ticket every single year. And now this is a conference matchup, and man, seeing these two schools next to each other, knowing that it's it's not a non conference game, is weird to me. Ohio State and Oregon two teams that I'm pretty sure everybody has in the top five, certainly top ten, and it's gonna be a big ten matchup, and the cost for that is three hundred and sixty five dollars. So the rest of this list features, you know, the big brands, Notre Dame and A and M. That's three fifty nine, Georgia and Texas three to fifty five, Tennessee and Georgia three forty eight. Alabama and Tennessee is three thirty nine. And then this is random as hell Colorado and Cincinnati three hundred and three dollars.
Speaker 3: Where's it held at?
Speaker 2: I would assume it's going to be held at at it in Boulder, But I don't know the Colorado connection, Like does Colorado not have any other games against good teams? I mean, Scott's head have won three games last year? Didn't he four games? Maybe? Like why would that be the game the Colorado fans have, you know, have.
Speaker 3: Maybe there's a special promotion We're I'm aware, Ever, like a weird halftime show or something.
Speaker 2: I'm secured, maak get a weird Uh. This is the list of the top twenty five. And what if I told you that the Indiana Hoosiers have a game in the top in the top fifteen for non conference? No, just any game. I mean these these are these are not this is this is conference or not. This is just the most expensive ticket prices for any game. Man, So I guess that's probably. Is it really just Ohio State or Michigan? It's Northwestern?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 2: Now? Is this the year where Northwestern is playing in their new arena or the new stadium.
Speaker 3: It's a temporary stadium and it's right next to the whatever body of water that is that they're up against in Chicago.
Speaker 2: Have you seen the.
Speaker 3: It looks really cool, but they're playing in something that looks like a high school, you know, stadium that was just put together type of thing for this year.
Speaker 2: I'm googling Northwestern football Indiana to it's Indiana Hoosiers at Northwestern. This is on October the fifth, and it is in Chicago, And yeah, you can get in for one hundred and ninety five dollars right now.
Speaker 3: It's because they know that hoo's your nation is going to be sicked up by this.
Speaker 2: That is so weird for them to be included in there, because every other game is like, you know, Colorado and Sinccenati's kind of weird too. But you got Georgia Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Florida State, Michigan with Washington, which of course will be a conference game and it'll be a rematch at the national championship.
Speaker 3: One thing that could explain the high ticket price for Indian Northwestern is that there is a large alumni base of Indiana in Chicago, and maybe there's expecting because of the unique stadium that there will be a lot of Indiana.
Speaker 2: A multiple capacity. The temporary stadium is ye very small, and that's what it is. Then that's got to be why that would be like that. But anyways, just referencing this graphic that is from this CFB report account, which is one of those face accounts that gets a ton of traction with just different graphics they put together, like this one here that has the number of wins against top ten teams since twenty fourteen, so of course that's the era that is the College Football Playoff era. So the three teams that have the most top ten wins in the last ten seasons. Alabama has twenty three, Ohio State is twenty two, and Georgia has twenty. I don't really think there's any big surprises here, although let me give you the list here just in order. I mentioned those three BAM, Ohio State, Georgia, LSU has seventeen, Clemson fourteen, Oregon ten, Michigan nine. Michigan State has nine top ten wins. That just seems weird to me, doesn't it? Like that just seems off.
Speaker 3: I mean, they did have a big year when they got to the College Football Playoff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they must have also had some upsets along the way that really were outliers, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Mark Dantonio, when he was the head coach in Michigan State, they were normally so whenever it was the Big Ten East, it was normally Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan State. Those were like the really good year in and year out opponents. But when Mark D'Antonio was no longer the head coach, they kind of took a step back.
Speaker 2: Did they go straight from him to Tucker?
Speaker 3: I believe so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense. So anyways, Louisville came in with three top ten wins, which Florida State that was certainly one, and outside of that, I mean, I don't really remember where the other other two would have come from. I mean, you'd beat Notre Dame last year, but they didn't finish top ten. Who am I forgetting? I feel like a real idiot now because I'm sure people are screaming, don't you remember that huge win when we knocked off a top ten team, because I don't really remember the last ten seasons, you know, fourteen that was gosh, that was Bobby's first year here and they didn't have any I mean that that was the knock on Bobby when Bobby was here until twenty sixteen when Lamar won the Heisman. I mean, they did beat a really good Florida State team that ended up actually being a top ten team when it was all said and done that year, But I don't remember the other big ones unless they're counting it to when you played and not really where they were at the end of the season, which I guess that's probably what they're doing anyway, because you can't I mean, if their top ten when you play them. That's all you can control, right If they aren't when you don't play them, it's you know, so Kentucky had won, which that has to be the when that they had, it's one of these two wins. When they beat Florida in twenty eighteen, I think it was. That Florida team was pretty good. I think they might have been top ten at the time. And then when they beat Penn State in that bowl game they were They were also, I think a top ten team at that time. So one of those two would be their one. Here are the schools that have zero. Let's see Rutgers, Texas Tech, Colorado, SMU, Wake Forest, Ucla, Maryland, and Vandy Indiana has won and that would have to be one of their COVID wins, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably what it was Penn State, they were number eight to start the season.
Speaker 2: That's a big win.
Speaker 3: It was a big win.
Speaker 2: All right, quick break, we'll come back and wrap up the four o'clock hour. Keep this thing going along. Something else I wanted to get to at some point that I mentioned earlier in the show that I kind of forgot about is a list of jobs in the Olympics that you would have never guessed existed that are kind of wild and kind of cool, to be honest with you. So we'll get to that, and we'll also get back to the text line some good stuff coming in Bobbo two six five three zero seven ninety the L and N Federal Credit Union text line don't go anywhere, hang out right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. I kind of felt like it was disrespectful to put those two in the same conversation, and you only did it because you're speaking of their ability to play guitar, not hits. But Keith Urban is, I mean, Keith Urban is so much better than Brad Paisley in my in my opinion that I'm sure nobody cares, but when it comes to music. But John asked me for a corny Brad Paisley's song, and I said, yeah, I have to. I mean, I had a couple. I'm like, I got to look them up to see and yeah, this one, this one.
Speaker 3: I like to check you for tics. That's another one.
Speaker 2: I mean, when you're late, every sound just like him, don't know, I mean, did you.
Speaker 3: Ever have a MySpace by the way he references MySpace.
Speaker 2: Oh, sure, of course, back in high school. Absolutely because that.
Speaker 3: Was back when I was too young to have that kind of thing. I'm curious.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that was what did you did you know like what it was at the time. You were probably too young then, weren't you.
Speaker 3: I had older like I guess cousins, family members who used MySpace.
Speaker 2: You were probably a really little kid, weren't you. What was like the.
Speaker 3: Prime year two thousand and four, it sort of been around seven years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty young. He also had a song called Accidental Racist. I don't remember that one man. Yeah, I haven't heard the pants and it's about like who wears the pants and the relationship famous people. I don't know if I remember that one. The check you for ticks is certainly up there. I'm still like guys.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I think I think that. What I like about Brad Paisley is that I don't think he takes himself too seriously. I think that kind of that's the clearly to it.
Speaker 2: But like it, there's a fun line in being funny and corny, you know what I mean? Like there's a huge out there. Is he still around? I mean he's not dead, but like I haven't heard anything new from him.
Speaker 3: He hasn't had Let's see, he hasn't had a charting hit since two thousand. Let's see Tire twenty twenty, he had a sing a song called No I and Beer. He He's had songs come out since then. That's the only one that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe that maybe that shtick has faded a little bit. Uh So, real quick before we get to the top of the hour, here the latest on the T and T crew right the inside, the NBA group, Chuck Shaq, Ernie Kenny, those guys big new yesterday as Charles Barkley announced he's not retiring and he's going to stick with TNT. So the question I asked is, like, what are they gonna do? And now the Wall Street Journal has reported that they could turn that studio show into sort of a all sports like a you know, or they do what they do, but not just about the NBA, but about all sports. And I'm not saying that would be terrible and it might be good. I just I don't know. I feel like that will be a forced thing like that. I don't think you can do that naturally and it not seem uncomfortable. I mean, let's be honest, there's a lot of people who don't really think that those guys are that in tune with actual NBA basketball. I mean, I respect their opinions on basketball, but the only one up there that's really talking a lot of x's and o's even really at all, is Kenny, and he's kind of the character that I think people don't value that much, but he does bring that aspect to it. He talks way more ex's and o's than Chuck and Shack, and Chuck and Shack are legendary players and they share opinions, and I actually think, you know, nerding out too much on x's and o's is not a good way to develop a humongous base that they have for that show, because that can really just that'll just turn people off that don't really want to get into the into the weeds on basketball, and they don't do that. They're entertainers their personalities. So with that said, it could work, but I don't know. I've here's what I don't know the answer to. I love those guys. When I see them on the NCAA tournament coverage, I get upset because they don't know anything about college basketball and they don't care, and they don't hide the fact that they know nothing. It's almost like they don't take it serious or something. And again when I say what, I don't know the answer to is, am I bothered by that because I'm sensitive to the sport I love? Or am I bothered by that because you know, I think they should be more professional and do more prep Like I don't. I think it's probably more me just being sensitive to college basketball because we hear the people on ESPN, even the crew on Fox. I think Fox is a great crew of guys that cover college basketball. I mean they really do. I don't know. I know a lot of people don't go. I mean even CBS Sports, meaning like the guys like Gary Parrish and and Rothstein. Yeah, I mean those are guys who like that. That's their life. I mean, they have other things going on, I'm sure, but like that's when it comes to their career. They're known for basketball college hoops. So whenever we get to the most important part of the year, the one that the only part that really matters in the grand scheme of things, for better or worse, that's just how it is in college basketball, where there's more eyeballs on the sport than ever. We have people talking about it that don't care to even educate themselves a little bit about the teams and whatnot, and they get a lot of things wrong and then just laugh about it, and like that just bothers me. I don't know, I mean, I'm just being honest with you. Maybe maybe I need to, you know, chill out and not care, but it always has bothered me. So I think if they did it about other sports, I probably wouldn't even notice, you know what I mean. And let's be real, Like Steven A. Smith, he was an NBA guy like that is that that was his laying NBA beat writer. That was how he became a journalist and now he's now he just you know, makes fun of the Cowboys every day along with NBA coverage boxing. I mean, like he's there to get to be in an opinion entertainer and that's really you know, that's what Chuck Shack and those guys are. Ernie and Kenny. I mean, Ernie's more of the of the quarterback of the crew, if that makes sense, kind of setting it up. He's really the host. But if they did that and they just had it to where it's the same show, but they're not just talking NBA. They're talking all kinds of other sports too. I'd watch now. I don't know if I would end up, you know, being a regular viewer, but as good as they were all together for the last hover many years, i'd certainly give it a shot. All right. Our number three is on the way. I always want to say our number five. That'd be a lot of me. Would we have done it before. Would be a little too much of me. But where I get mixed up is that it's actually the third hour, but it's the five o'clock hour. So stive with us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety mm hmm.