Speaker 1: And welcome to the Big Podcast. How are you on this Thursday? Today's the second day of April, Year of Our Lord, twenty twenty six. My name is Tom Sullivan. So we had a perfectly good show put together for today reaction to the President's speech last night and all of those matters going on, and then all of a sudden middle of the day today we find out that Pam Bondi, the Attorney General of the United States, is now the former in general. She was fired by President Trump. And this is I guess the timing of it is somewhat of a surprise, but I have said on this podcast I'd have to go search for it. I know I've done it at least twice where I have speculated on the fact that Pam Bondy is on the wrong side of President Trump and he's not happy with her. And primarily it was around remember the remember the Epstein story. I know that kind of disappeared, hasn't it. But it'll no, it'll come back, I presume. But in the meantime, when she was saying that I've released everything, and then they found out they hadn't, and she looked bad, and she looked like she was covering up and then I thought she was going to be given the acts. Well today it happened, and the President untruth's social I will read it to you. Pam Bondy is a great American patriot and a loyal friend who faithfully served as my Attorney General. Over the past year. Pam did a tremendous job overseeing a massive crackdown in crime across our country, with murders plummeting to their lowest level since nineteen hundred. We love Pam and she will be transitioning to a much needed and important new job in the private sector to be announced at a date in the near future, and our Deputy Attorney General and very talented and respected legal mind, Todd Blanche will step in to serve as acting Attorney General. Thank you for your attention to this matter, President Donald J. Trump. So, I I don't know what it was that caused this kind of came out out of the blue, even though a lot of people were expecting her to be the first one in her cabinet to be fired. Instead, it was Christy Nome, which we'll get to in a minute. But this is the way that usually when somebody's fired, they say yes, they're looking forward to their next career advancement and that will be announced soon. In other words, she doesn't have anything lined up, but apparently she's getting nothing but kisses on the way out the door. John Yu, who was a former deputy Attorney General, said this about the exit of Pam Bondy.
Speaker 2: Excellent point, Sancho about the timing, because maybe that's when Trump finally made up his mind, because it looked he had to leave that oral argument thinking that he's going to take a loss on what is one of his core central policy agendas and immigration. He just lost a tariff case at the Supreme Court a few weeks ago, and maybe after sitting in the courtroom watching how his attorney general was in charge of representing these positions at the Supreme Court was doing, he said, maybe we need a change. Maybe I was persuaded to take these risky cases up to the Supreme Court. And now that I see that we're on the lose. We've lost tariffs, we might very well lose on birthright citizenship. Maybe I need to have different lawyers.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Look, being President Trump's lawyer is not a long term job, right, It's not about tenure. He switches lawyers like people switch shirts and clothes. So we shouldn't say at pambond he's somehow been singled out. You know, remember at this time in his first term, right, he was about to get rid of Attorney general sessions or replace them with Bill Barr. And that's the interesting question next is what kind of person is he going to replace Pam Bondi with. Is he could go for some inside Washington person of experience like Bill Barr, or go out outside Washington like he did with Pam Bondy in the first place.
Speaker 1: So John, you brings up the question outside of Washington or Washington insider. And with all the problems, if the House goes to the Democrats, then there's a high speculation that they will launch an impeachment. And you've also got to get somebody through the Senate confirmation to be your next attorney general. And the Senate theoretically should stay Republican. But it's close, it's very close. So in order to play it safe, let's see if John Hugh's thinking along the same line.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I was thinking to If President Trump and his visors think that they're going to lose the House, I have every expectation that the House is going to launch an impeachment inquiry, just like they did in his first turn, and they will try to remove him from office. You would want someone, i think, who is more of an inside Washington, DC person who's gone through this before, someone like a Bill Barr from last time, someone who's already had experience fighting or working on impeachments, because that's going to drag down install the Trump administration again just like it did in his first arm. You need experienced hands, I think, to mount an effective defense.
Speaker 1: And the politics of it also plays into the hand here for both the Senate and the House.
Speaker 2: That's an important issue for the White House to consider, because of course they want to get it done before the November elections, because even though the odds aren't high. You know, our friend's Carl Rove, who's out of the studio to in Austin. He'll tell you, right, there's some chance that the Democrats could take the Senate. If that's true, you don't want to have a confirmation hearing for the Attorney General with the Democrats in charge. So they got to get it through it seems to me by the end of the summer.
Speaker 1: So what does Byron York think about all this with the Washington Examiner.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, up until last month when the President fire Christy Nome, he had he had a remarkably stable first year in office. By this time in his first term in office, he had fired three cabinet secretary as a Secretary of State Health and Human Services and the Veterans Affairs Secretary, and he'd moved another one, the Homeland Security Secretary, out of office to replace the White House Chief of Staff whom he had also fired. So there's been a lot of turnover, and there had been a lot of comment this time around that it was a much for stable administration. I think one thing that happened with the Christi non firing is that it went really well that the President did it. He found a good replacement, the replacement was quickly confirmed in the Senate, and things are moving now and they're not not a big drama. So I think the president has seen that perhaps he can make changes he wants without having a whole lot of hoopla around it.
Speaker 1: And speaking of hooplaw, apparently there are people in the conservative media ranks that are afraid to talk about this. But Christine nom was back in the news with a bunch of hooplaw this past week. Her husband never Nobody could figure out all these accusations about Christinome having an affair with Corey Lewandowski, and nobody could figure out what about the husband, he's right there. What's his story? Well, the story is that he has been a cross dresser for some time. He dresses up and puts fake boobs under his shirt, communicates with other crossdressers online, has paid dressing models men that are dressed up as women money to the tune of about twenty five thousand dollars. And Christineoam said that she and her family are devastated. She had no idea, but you can't help but think maybe she did. And that's marriage wasn't all that great, which is you tie the whole thing together. But it's a big hooplaw and no, I mean, who knows what goes on in somebody's house. She wound up shooting a couple of her animals. And this guy is running around dressed up and he's not trying to hide his face, and a bunch of photographs have come out of him dressed up as a woman, wearing women's clothes, and it's and his face is clear as of Belle. So a couple of problems in the Christinome household. But back to the problem today with Pam Bondy. Shannon Breem, who covers the Supreme Court she is a lawyer, had this to say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Ben, I think that the Democrats are definitely going to push the envelope on that as much as possible. And listen, we've seen this on both sides of the aisle. Remember it was a bipartisan vote and threat of potential contempt that got the Clintons to sit down and have conversations that they were under congressional subpoena to have as well. I would imagine that Democrats are most certainly going to push to hear from Pam Bondy, whether they're referring her to her as the former AG or as a private citizen. They have a lot of questions for her, and we've seen a lot of back and forth. We saw what happened with Peter Navarro and Steve Bannon when they refuse to go testify. So a lot of new precedents have been set with them with the Clintons. So I don't think Democrats are going to give up on that conversation easily.
Speaker 1: So, in other words, expect the hooplaw involving Pam Bondi, even though she's out as ag that they'll do a circus as much as I can, especially if they retake the House. They will have all kinds of hearings to bring Pambondi, and she has been pushing back hard on them in prior testimony, so I think they're eager to try and make her come back and be tough on her. And then one more Mark Penn, who's the democrats strategist and polster, also had a sense that this was going to happen.
Speaker 6: Well, no surprise from the Hill, Republicans giving her mostly mild praise but raising some questions about the Epstein files, and Democrats trashing her as much as possible and just using it as kind of a way to attack the president. So I don't think you're getting anything unexpected here. I think really that the President does most likely doing this now because he thinks he could get a pick through in the Senate, you know, during this time, and of course the Democrats are going to take whatever pick he makes and try to discredit it and blow up an issue and say how he's politicizing Justice Department. All of that. It's just kind of the natural flow of events in Washington these days.
Speaker 1: That was the surprise news story for the day. We didn't see that one coming about the speech last night. Oh and let me go back one more thing about Pam Bondi. The President was frustrated with her because he wanted her he said so in oh on certain words on his true social He wanted her to go out and prosecute Leticia James, the Attorney General of New York, James Comy, former FBI director, and also to defend his desire for tariffs in court, and all of those were lost. There wasn't a case the courts throughout Leticia James and James Comy's cases, and on tariffs, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the fact that he's got to go through Congress. We haven't heard anymore on that. And by the way, it's been one year and one day. Liberation Day wasn't April first, April second of last year anyway, It was a year since the tariffs have been put in place. So the question then becomes, how have they done? Have they changed anything as far as our trade deficit, are we getting more business with our foreign friends around the world. Well, Jamison Greer, the trade representative, had this to say in an interview earlier today.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, Trace, it's not what I think, it's what the facts show. When you look over the past year, manufacturing productivity has gone up to the highest level it's ever been. The past two months, we've had record breaking export numbers for the United States, over three hundred billion dollars in exports in January and February. We've seen the trade deaths that go down by twenty four percent since April. So Americans are making more stuff, they're getting paid more to make it, and they're selling more of it overseas. So on every account, it's been a big WINDID.
Speaker 1: Listen to me at any length of time. You know, I'm not a fan of tariffs, because again it's not my opinion, it's the facts. I'll use what Jamison said. The facts are clear, trade death trade tariffs are a negative for the economy for about any way you measure it. So I'm going to take Jamison's career to task because he says our manufacturing productivity is way up. Well, that's because there's most manufactured, not most. Many manufacturing jobs have been lost. Manufacturing employment is way down. So if you now have producing a product and you used to have five people working for you, now you've only got two people working for you, productivity looks like it's increased, but manufacturing jobs are way way down. As far as record exports, he couched it by saying over the last two months, well, two months, isn't much of a trend. Are exports? Yes, they are up exports. Let me look at my list here for February three hundred and fourteen billion. Last April, when the tre deficits were put in, our exports were two hundred ninety one billion, So our exports went from two hundred ninety one billion up to three hundred and fourteen billion, not a big increase. Most of it was gold and natural gas exports. As far as imports go, our trade deficit for the month of February, which just came out, fifty seven billion dollars more that we bought of their products than they bought of ours. So we're upside down by fifty seven billion. A year ago we were upside down by sixty billion. So can you say it's improved. He said that what do you say, trade deficits dropped by twenty four percent, It's dropped from sixty billion to fifty seven billion. I don't know. You you can rank that however you want. It doesn't look like the tariffs have really done that much one way or the other over the last year. And speaking of economic news coming out today, first time jobless claims, now, this is good news. Two hundred and two thousand first time jobless claims two hundred and two thousand people who got pink slips in the last week. That's not good, but it's a lot better than it has been. So that's starting to slow down. In other words, firing of people is starting to slow down, which is a good thing as far as interest rates go. A lot of this is because of the havoc going on, the chaos and in the world regarding oil prices and so forth. But our mortgage rates were announced this morning by Fanning Freddie Mack and they went up to They've been going up for five weeks in a row. We're up to the average mortgage rate in this country now six point four to six percent. A year ago it was six point six four percent, So basically about the same. That's where it was a year ago, but it's going the wrong direction. It's going higher, which is just not good news. So let's get to the story I was planning on starting with today, which was did you watch the President's speech last night? It was eighteen minutes in the White House, which is kind of interesting, Pam BONDI was at that speech last night. But any case, a lot of reaction to the President's speech. I was surprised that it was a little bit of going over what has been done. President does that alloted to his speech writer, likes to go back over what was done. I don't know what was new other than the fact that he said that there are going to be another two to three weeks roughly of where we're going to be bombing them. He said back to the own age if they don't open up the straight of horror moves, so he was threatening but also saying basically, we got a couple two or three weeks more. In any case, I thought the speech was fine. It was just again kind of marking place with where we were. Let's start with Brett McGirk. I find him to be very informed. He was former NSA guy, for the Middle East, for Iran in that whole area. He's worked for four different presidents, so he's pretty apolitical. Let's see what Brett McGirk thought about It.
Speaker 8: Started with the necessity. We talked about the necessity, the objective, that what's the plan. I thought the necessity laying out the bill of particulars in Iran was fairly effective, not entirely accurate, as he just pointed out. I think it's important to remind people of what Iran is about. It is a real threat. There are reasons to be doing what we're doing. I thought when he laid out the objectives and the plan, I don't think we heard too much. And my takeaway was that we might be in for an escalation of this war. I mean, he said, if there's not a d he put back on the table, not said he said, I deal good, the energy targets, everything else he'd been talking about. So if we were thought we might hear a de escalatory speech. So we're going to wrap this up in a couple of weeks. Actually heard something quite different that and he said he visits the family's at Dover and he said we must honor them by completing the mission, and then he basically threatened Iran that there's that we're going to prepare to send you back to the Stone Age. So I think this war's going to continue for some time. That's what That's what I heard, well, and that's inconsistent. I mean, one thing, he complained about the abomdministration and sanctions relief and everything. But if if Iran comes out of this controlling the Strait of her moves and being able to meet our ships that go through there and taking a cut of every ship, they're going to make hundreds of millions and billions of dollars. So that if that is the outcome here, strategically, that is not good if our objective is to contain Iran. Yeah, he called on our allies to come in and help in the Strait, and we might be willing to help, but I heard him say we kind of would lead that mission from behind, hoping that our allies might step up, which I'm not sure they're going to do. Becau it's a difficult mission, he said, it's easy, it's not. You got to have assets that can Caitlin shoot down anti ship missiles and drones.
Speaker 1: It's hard.
Speaker 8: We did this in the Red Sea with a small coalition. It's a very difficult military mission and strategic equation. I and the way we're talking about our allies every day, I don't see the allies really signing up to take on those mission. They should, I mean they should, It isn't they're interest to do it. I which just stay on them. But I think the straight up her news remains a very unresolved issue here. I didn't really hear an answer.
Speaker 1: So McGirk thinks that this may escalate, that it may go bigger and last longer. And the big question everybody's asking is, since they sent ten thousand marines plus twenty five hundred sailors plus there's already fifty thousand troops in the region US military troops in the region, are they sending them just for show or are they going to actually do boots on the ground. And that nobody had an answer to. Let's see Mark Short, former chief of staff, to Mike Pince, this is what he thought.
Speaker 3: I think he has a lot of support Leland. I think what you've seen is that there's a lot of influencers who proclaim that they speak for Magan and demonstrated they don't have a lot of influence that the majority of the President's support follow him personally and support him personally, and I think that flows throughout the Republican Party. I think he's got a lot of latitude there.
Speaker 1: So from Mark Short to former chief of staff for the President Mick mulvaney, Oh, I.
Speaker 9: Think they're worried about it because they think they know he can deliver. The question is are his threats still credible? The answer is absolutely they are.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 9: He's keeping the Iranians general guessing. He's keeping everybody guessing. That's how Trump works, right. But as long as the Iranians know we have the ability to do all of these things that he says, you have to take those threats credibly, including troops on the ground. I think he wants a deal. I think I think that's his preferred end game here. In fact, it's the quickest way to end things. I think the quickest way to open the straits, for example, is to just have a deal tomorrow to open the straits. If you have to do it arly, it could take weeks, if not months.
Speaker 1: Segment to do that. But look, I.
Speaker 9: Think that first of all, I'm not sure how many people in around actually would see the speech, it would just be the leadership. But they have to take the threats credibly. So when he says I want to talk or I'm going to blow you back in the stone Age, there is credibility.
Speaker 6: To that threat. And I think that's a you.
Speaker 1: Know, we're looking at Bill. He was responding to the fact that there are some so called mega influencers that are turning on the president and Mark Short doesn't think that's real. A guy who's been involved in international negotiations, General tith Tellogg looked at it this way.
Speaker 10: Full credit to President Trump. He's a first president that had the guts to do what he's done, and then the world breathes a lot easier because of that. But I think that theocratic government of Iran needs to be addressed. It's revolutionary. The Iranian Revolutionary Guards is a lot different than the army. They are two shepherd organizations, and as long as you got people like that in charge, with all conditioning they've had for the last forty plus years, I think there needs to be a complete change of government. You know, when you move from one to another, there's still radical and it's a radical government that it must be changed because you can always re arm, you can always try to rebuild something for the lord. As long as they have that theocratic government, that radical government in charge. I think we're gonna have problems with him in the Mid East. And the President has addressed that. Great credit to him on the first term. And there's this term as well.
Speaker 1: I heard a commentator on ABC last night talking about about regime change and he said, you can't replace Hitler with Himmler. Himler one of the top age to Adolf Hitler. They were from the same glove. So you can't replace the regime with another person of the theocracy. The same with the son of the previous Ayahtola. Know, you've got to have more than that. And the President seems on one hand that he's willing to talk to this new guy who is part of the old regime. I don't trust him, and Keith Tellogg doesn't either. Speaking of generals, how about General Jack Team.
Speaker 11: Well, first of all, I thought that speech was he ready nailed it and an update to the American people, clearly telling him again why are we doing this and how critically important it truly is for the stability of the Middle East and our own national interest and then gave us a sense of where we are. And it is remarkable the success that we've achieved against Iran's arsenal, that they had huge ballistic missile arsenal, huge drone arsenal, and certainly some other issues out there in terms of nuclear weapons and how we're going to deal with that's the straits of a moves, etc. But I think we're a little over thirty days into this operation. We're clearly more than halfway the timing he gets from his commanders. In other words, the President has always said, this is a condition based operation. I've assigned objectives for you to accomplish, and based on your accomplishing, those objectives will drive the length of it. He has been told by Prime Minister net Now and they need three weeks. He's been told by Admiral Bradley Cooper, he needs two weeks. That's the reason for the two to three weeks is taking place here. And he's going to let those assigned objectives drive the completion of this operation, and that is the right thing to do. Let the commanders make these calls. They're not people in the White House to make the call. And that's the way you want a national lead to behave in terms of working with his subordinates. So we have some work to do, and it still cleaning up drones and missiles to be sure. In nuclear he brought that up a little bit in terms of what's out there. I think he has a choice. Does he try to do more destruction of that capability or does he go in there and try to take that capability out. Anyway you look at it, he doesn't want your weapons. Obviously you get anywhere closed to the Iranians being able to execute it, which has been as number one concern about Iran from the outset. So we can have some assurance that he's not going to let that happen. And he's been steadfast and resolved about this. I give him a lot of credit. There's always impediments, there's always disappointments that take place, and he's got a media pounding all over him telling him there's no strategy here when there's a clear strategy. We don't have any objectives, and we have very defined objectives. By the way, if you ask these commanders out there and the IDF or in Sentcom, do they have clear objectives and what the end state is? You bet you they do as clear as they've ever had. So that's all good news. Work to be done for sure. Here in terms of some presidential decisions about nuclear straits of a moves, how do we handle that? And also car Gallen, which represents ninety percent of the distribution of oils just sixteen miles off the coast.
Speaker 1: One other point you would and brought up with the speech. He did not mention NATO, but lately he well, no, he kind of did a side slight to him talking about the fact that they need to go get it themselves if they It was like his true social speech yesterday hosting yesterday about we don't need straight up horror moves. You guys in Europe, you want to go get it, go get it, and don't you know, be brave. There was a little bit of that last night, but Mike Pompeo was asked specifically about are we bailing out of NATO.
Speaker 12: I think that's likely true, and it breaks my heart. I'm being someone who believed NATO was a very important set of allies for decades. I served an army in NATO operations in nineteen eighty six to nineteen eighty nine. But to watch them be so feckless not to be able to convince their own people, their own domestic audiences, of this matters, to explain to them why they're safer as a result of the United States, with our friends in Israel have done, and then to assist us in that mission set. I think, as Senator Graham said earlier on your show, I think there will have to be a fundamental rethinking about how it is the United States make sure we figure out exactly who our allies are and what we can depend on them for. I think there's a lot of work to do when this is over. President Trump said tonight, I hope they'll rethink their model and they'll get ready and go grab this. I hope they do too.
Speaker 1: And finally, not a political person, but a think tank person. We've used her a lot lately, Rebecca Heinrich from the Hudson Institute.
Speaker 13: No, I think that actually is a point where the Europeans are frustrated that they didn't know what the United States plans were. They were not asked to participate, and so that's part of their frustration. I do think that this kind of gets to my second point. This war, President Trump said, is going to be much shorter. He provided some historical context of these longer wars, and I think the opening up the Strait of Hormuz is he's kind of hinting that this is going to be something that's going to have to happen after we finish our primary objectives, which is to really weaken the Iranians ability to project power outside its borders. And then you're going to see I think the plan is an international coalition to escort these tankers. Kind of threw the Strait of Remussein to open that up. But that's going to be I think something that's going to happen from the President's perspective now after we finish our primary objectives, because he does want other allies to participate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so her point is that they were never asked to get involved in this war in the first place, so to come along later and say you got to get involved, as she thinks, that's what the NATO members are upset about. But the question about will NATO survive. Mike Pompeo kannie ify and we'll see what happens with our friends over in NATO. But in this speech, the President said that this is what I was listening for was he going to cut and run or was he going to say we got to finish the job. He said the job must be finished and that the core objectives are in sight that horror moves, the straight of Horror moves. He said, well, reopen naturally. Rebecca Heinrich talked about the fact about you know, guiding and having some sort of other ships guiding ships through the strait of horr moves. Now I mean you they're not on the shoreline shooting at them. They can be one thousand miles away operating the launch of a drone and blow up a ship. So this it needs to be what the President I think was referring to about reopen naturally, is when all of the hostilities come to an end and we have disarmed Iran, then you can open up the straight of hormoves. But that's not going to be right away. And even if even if they could open this straight tomorrow, there's something like four hundred ships that are in the region waiting to go in to pick up oil. Well, can you imagine going to a gas station in your car number four hundred in line. It's going to take a while. This is not going to be the price. If there's an agreement and the iron it collapses and straight is open, prices will have a drop, but they're not going to go way back to where we were a month ago. It's because there's going to be a shortage. The ships can't load it up and get it around the entire world to get the global oil prices lower. In addition to that, like I said, there's going to be a line a mile long waiting to do that. But this has shaken. I had a lot of damage to the infrastructure, so all that has to be fixed. The President also in his speech last night, said there will be aggressive strikes over the next two to three weeks, and no mention, not a peep about ground forces. So it was just a presidential speech. There were no questions being asked by the media. But that's the rundown on what happened. So we got the attorney general has been replaced. Today. Last night the President gave us more direction about the war. Interest rates are going up, mortgage rates are up. Five weeks from the row. The trade deficit one year old, trade tariffs one year old, and the trade deficit is about the same as it was before. Our exports are up just slightly. So all of that is I don't know. I don't give this an a for improving the economy and didn't improve it at all in my humble opinion. Speaking of the economy, shall we take a look at Wall Street demonstrated again today just how spiky this market is this morning after the president's speech last night. Like Brett McGirk said, he thinks he got out of it. He thought that the president's speech showed that we're going to be escalating our war effort, that it's not ending anytime soon. Well, Wall Street kind of got that impression too, because the Dow opened up this morning down six hundred points. That was at nine to thirty Eastern time, down six hundred. Then there was a rumor that the Foreign Minister of Iran was working with Oman to come up with some way to open up the straight of hor moves. So the market went from down six hundred to plus two hundred, an eight hundred point move in about twenty minutes. Then the market started going, oh, I guess this is all a bunch of headlines driving things. So the rest of the day the Dow was back to underwater, not by a lot, but it was upside down. The Dow finished down sixty one to close it forty six thousand, five h four, The S and P up seven, the Nasdaq up thirty eight, price of gold down one hundred and twenty dollars to four thousand and six ninety two, and oil went back up today it was treading around one hundred and twelve dollars. West Texas Intermediate finished up eleven dollars and sixty cents at one hundred and twelve dollars for a barrel of oil. So that's it for today. Thank you for coming by tomorrow. The markets are closed for good Friday. We will be back tomorrow and I hope to see you then