Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBS, Boston's new radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much, Nicole.
Speaker 3: This is Dan Ray and I am here every Monday through Friday night, with some exceptions, but pretty much every Monday through Friday night, along with my producer partner, Rob Brooks. He is back in the control room at Broadcasts Central. So during the first hour, as you know, we are back to regularly schedule program after our election special last night, and we'll talk with four guests during this hour about good activities and events or developments or trends that you need to be aware of. Let me just take a quick moment and remind you that we will be talking about the stunning results of this election. This I had said that I was hoping for a decisive election victory.
Speaker 2: I felt that it would be better.
Speaker 3: For the country if one of these candidates won decisively, and I think one did, so we're going to.
Speaker 2: Talk about that.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk with Dave Paleologus Polster, I think, one of the best pollsters and someone who we've relied on for years. During the nine o'clock hour, you can call in and ask questions. I think we'll break it down for you We're still looking at the numbers. There are still a couple of states that haven't been called. But this is an extraordinary election. The Vice President of the United States, Kamala Harris, did extend her congratulations to President elect Trump and also delivered what I guess would be characterized as her official concession speech this afternoon at at Howard University in Washington, d C. School from when she graduated. So we'll get to all of that. We have four hours tonight plenty to do. So if you have thoughts on the election, on the results, whether you're happy, unhappy, or whatever. I do think it's time for us to put some of this behind us, some of the language, and try to look at each other not so much as enemies, but people who have a different opinion. But I'll get to all of that. I just wanted to set the table and get that out before we started. So tonight we are going to start off with Bill Pennington. Bill is going to tell us about an event, a couple of events coming up this weekend the group that he represents. He was the founder of a group called Run for the Troops. Bill Pennington, Welcome back to Night's Side. Obviously, the title of the group run for the troops, I think is self explanatory, but let's let's drill down a little bit here, and what are we talking about coming up in the next week or so.
Speaker 4: Well, Friday night at an Indian Ridge country Club, it's actually a celebration dinner. We honor our veterans and recognize them and just give thanks and give these the civilians a chance to meet and chat with you know, the one two. Because of their sacrifice, we have our safety and our freedoms. It's a win win and we expect probably seventy five veterans and Bobby half the crowd will be veterans, so it'll be a great night. And then on Sunday we do a couple events. We call it Forever Young and it's targeted to grandparents and their grandchildren. One time around the track, real simple, we don't care how you get around. You can push grandma, you can push your grandchild, you can walk, you can run, and it's a good way from camaraderie, gets the kids off the cell phone and actually interact with their grandparents or even their parents. And then we do the big event, the five k walk and run at nine o'clock in between, we do a big veterans ceremony. Probably one hundred and fifty vests participate on that and bagpipes, color guard and this year, let's do this.
Speaker 2: Let's do this, Bill.
Speaker 3: I don't want to overwhelm people out there because I feel they have to be like that, be a stenographer to get all this information. Let's take each of these events. It's part of this upcoming weekend. So let's break them down one at a time. You said the dinner. I think you said the Indian Ridge Country Club.
Speaker 4: Correct, yep, and andover mass yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, okay, So how can folks, assuming that they'd like to go to the dinner, are they tickets still available? What's the what's the deal with with that?
Speaker 4: Well, we can always squeeze a few more in, But if they can just go to our website, it's Run for the Troops m A dot org. The all the events are listed on there and they can readier right now on there, or they can email me at W Bill Pennington at gmail dot com and we'll we'll squeeze in.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll we'll we'll do all of that.
Speaker 3: I just want to what I'd like to do is I have a fairly linear mindset.
Speaker 2: I like to talk about one thing, so let's not mix it out of here. Let's just keep rolling here. We'll get it all in. There's no need to rush here, okay.
Speaker 3: So run for the troops data Friday night, what time six o'clock.
Speaker 4: Seven o'clock, six o'clo six o'clock.
Speaker 3: Indian Ridge Country Club in andover for people who live up north of the city. Everyone knows where that is, and they can buy tickets and uh and make reservations and enjoy the evening. And again, give me the website where those tickets are available. Let's just focus on the website.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's run for the troops.
Speaker 5: Ma.
Speaker 4: Well, let me try it again. Run for the Troops five k m dot org.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that website is for everything. Run for the troops the number five km dot org.
Speaker 2: Okay. That's so we got that one taken care of.
Speaker 3: Now, this giant where people can can bring their children, their grandchildren, their grandparents and do a lap around a track. Which school is that going to be held out? That's Saturday, right.
Speaker 4: That's Sunday?
Speaker 2: No, that Sunday.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's goods. See where we're making progress here, Bill, just hang with me. Okay, we're gonna get this all done. So that's on Sunday, and Sunday is the tenth, if I'm looking at my calendar correctly, November tenth.
Speaker 2: Where is that event?
Speaker 4: Okay? It's at thirty six Bartless Street, and it's behind the Town Offices, which is connected to the Doherty School, which town and over Massachusetts.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's great. Okay, So it's right near the Dougherty School, and that's free. People can just participate.
Speaker 4: Correct, We're just charging ten dollars to cover the cost of metals and refreshments.
Speaker 3: Okay, fair enough. And then you'll also have on Sunday. Was it two road races, a five K and a ten k.
Speaker 4: No, it's a five K that starts at nine o'clock and in between. I know I'm gonna confusia, but there's a better, big veteran ceremony in between eight and nine o'clock that we do too.
Speaker 2: That's okay. I'm a little confused, but that's okay.
Speaker 3: So the first thing in terms of sequence is the walk around the track yep, and then the veterans ceremony yep, and then the five K.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Now, we got it. Now, we got said the dinners.
Speaker 3: Friday night, nothing on Saturday, Sunday, Dorothy School, Dougherty School in Endover. Start off with the nice leisurely walk around the track. Everyone's everyone's invited. You asked for a ten dollar donation, and then you have a ceremony honoring veterans, and then the five k. Okay, I think we got it, Bill, and again I appreciate it very much. Give the website one more time and I'll let you go. Website one more time.
Speaker 4: Bill, it's run for the troops five K and dot.
Speaker 2: Org perfect, perfect, Well.
Speaker 3: I hope some of our listeners up in the whole, you know, surrounding community up there north of Boston and over and environments participate. I have no idea what the weather forecast looks like, because I didn't watch the weather tonight, but I hope you get weather like today and you'll have a great event. Thanks Bill, I appreciate what you do. It's a great organization, run for the troops. Thanks Bill.
Speaker 4: Thank you there, You're right, You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Okay, we come back.
Speaker 3: Good to ask the question is there really such a thing as a healthy soda?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Apparently there's a lot of brands out there that are marketing some soda as healthy. That almost sounds oxymoronic. We're going to talk with a guest, Marion Nessel. She wrote a book on the soda industry and is the emeritus professor of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health at NYU, New York University.
Speaker 2: Stick with us.
Speaker 3: We'll be back with Marion Nessel, and maybe we'll talk about whatever soda you have in your refrigerator. Back on Nightside. My name is Dan Raith, the night after the twenty twenty four election. We have a lot of conversation coming up between nine and twelve, but we have three more guests, special guests to talk to in this hour. Please stay with us here on Nightside. We're gonna have a great show tonight.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the window World night Side Studios. I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: I'd like to welcome Mary Nessel.
Speaker 3: She's written a book on the soda industry and as an emeritus professor at of Nutrition, Food Studies and Public Health at New York University. A great college professor, Nessel.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 6: I'm just fine, beautiful, love you.
Speaker 3: I love your last name. It reminds me of candy bars. I love that nestl nystl e uh oh. I know that you see you, professors, you anticipate questions. I was hoping for you. Okay, So the question is is there really such a thing as a healthy soda? Look, I've gotten rid of pepsi. I used to drink pepsi A I got rid of it. I realized forty one carbs in every pepsi Along the way. It helped me lose some weight and get much better shape. Smartest thing I did I drink. I drink water at my meals. Food tastes much better. But there are some brands out there that are marketing some sodas as healthy. Kind of sounds a little oxymoronic to me.
Speaker 6: A healthy soda, well, the first question is how much sugar does it have? The second question doesn't have artificial sweeteners. If it's water with a little fruit juice in it, I'm forish. Even if it's fish water.
Speaker 2: Even if it's what type of water? Just took a water fishy? I drink tap water with ice cubes and it's great.
Speaker 3: Maybe I throw a piece of lemon or a piece of lime in there.
Speaker 2: And I got all the flavoring.
Speaker 3: I want is the sodas out there that are now coming on the market, because that's what people want that actually are good quality. That you've done the studies, I haven't any that you'd recommend.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm just absolutely amazed when I go into a supermarket to see the numbers of bottled waters, fruit flavored, some of them sparkling, some of them with juice in them, very low in sugar. Many of them are not artificially sweetened. And I think you could find plenty of them. The question is whether it's sweet enough for you, and that we've gotten used to drinking really sweet drinks and that's not very good for our health. Unfortunately.
Speaker 3: I can tell you when I knocked off pepsis, and I used to be a pepsi guy. If I went to lunch with you, I'd have pepsi with I'd order a glass of ice water, but I wouldn't touch the ice water, and I'd have two or three pepsis. And all of a sudden, I realized what am I doing to myself. I'm in the gym working out. All I'm doing is throwing carbs down at lunchtime. Now you're never going to find me at lunch, and you'll never find me with a regular pepsi or a regular coke in my hand.
Speaker 2: I just I learned that.
Speaker 3: And once you learn it, and you and for a couple of weeks you get off it. You know, very easy habits to break. Have you ever done any study a study on how tough or how easy it is to get away from sweetened sodas compared to say, some of the other addictive activities that people have, whether it's chocolate bars or cigarettes' what's.
Speaker 6: The It depends on who you are, you know. The research on addiction says that about somewhere between ten and fifteen percent of people who have an addictive personality and they feel like they're addicted to sodas, they've got a real problem. I think for other people it's not a problem to lose them at all. And my first advice for any but who's trying to lose weight is drop the sugar sweetened beverages. Get rid of them. They're calories you don't need, they don't add nutrition in anything nutritious to your diet. Get rid of them. Number one thing to get rid of is the sugar sweetened beverages.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The other thing that.
Speaker 3: Is to me is interesting is that if you replace them with there's a lot of I love fruits, I love macintosh apples, green grapes, red grapes. They all have sugar. You know, you can help. You can get sugar through good sauces as opposed to twelve on soda cans.
Speaker 6: Well, but you don't get you don't get nearly as much, and you have fiber and other kinds of components with it. It takes a lot of grapes to add up to the sugar that's in a standard sugar sweetened beverage that might have thirty or forty grams of sugar in just one can. It's not the little ements that our problem. It's having this enormous amount of sugar in a liquid form that's absorbed very very quickly. It messes up your metabolism. It's not a good thing to.
Speaker 3: Do, no, no question. Now you've written a book on the soda industry. If that book is still available and people wanted to get a copy of it, can they go to Amazon? What can they do if they'd like to get a copy of the book.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm just order it from your bookstore.
Speaker 6: From some online source of Soda politics taking on big Soda and winning.
Speaker 3: So the title is Soda politics taking on big soda and winning winn Yeah, that's always good.
Speaker 2: As we found out last night, if you were a Trump supporter.
Speaker 3: But the point is, I'm assuming that you're not a big hit in the in the boardroom, the corporate boardroom of Pepsi or Coke.
Speaker 6: Oh, I probably not, although I've although I've met very high officials in those in those companies on various occasions. They've come to visit me in my office. They're very respectful, they're respectful.
Speaker 3: Are they doing the same thing if if if soda consumption you know again, you know, we'll call soda. What we mean obviously is Sprite and Nepsi and root Beer's and all those fans and stuff. Are they increasing the overseas market? When I travel, I see Pepsi and Coke wherever I go, it's it's available. I know that the cigarette companies export now a lot of cigarettes overseas. Uh.
Speaker 6: Well, the soda companies have a real problem because the peak year of soda consumption and the United States was nineteen ninety nine. That was a long time ago. And it's been going down steadily ever since. And so if you can't sell in the United States, you've got to sell someplace. And the particularly Co Cola developed a worldwide distribution system during the Second World War where they said they would supply Coca Cola to every soldier that the United States had deployed anywhere, and the government built bottling plants for them all over the world. So they sell it everywhere, and the you know, other people haven't learned the message about maybe too much sugar isn't good for you.
Speaker 3: So well, that's set up when you think about it, when all those troops from World War II came home. That's why pepsi and certainly Coca Cola was the beverage of choice. I'm sure in America that the fifties and sixties into the seventh.
Speaker 6: And that's why they were all smoking too, because the cigarettes were free. But you know, yeah, so things have changed and the you know, I'm not opposed to drinking and beverages. I just think this is something you have to do in very small amounts.
Speaker 3: What do they say everything in moderation, Professor, Professor Professor Meritis Marion Nessel, Thank you very much, for joining us tonight. Give us the name of the book one more time in case folks wants it. SOA Politics, Perfect Soda Politics, either on Amazon or at your bookstore.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Professor, enjoyed.
Speaker 6: Talking with you, my pleasure.
Speaker 2: Thanks. Have a great night.
Speaker 3: Soda Politics, taking on big Soda and winning by Professor Marion Nessel like the candy.
Speaker 2: Bar an E s t l E.
Speaker 3: All right, We're going to go back with a very interesting guest dealing with and the reason it's interesting. I've recently read about this how long can you stand on one foot? And the answer may predict your fall risk. I'm not sure I buy that. We're going to talk with doctor Kenton Kaufman. He's the senior author of the Mayo Clinic study and a musculo skeletal research professor at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he knows a lot about this. I'm gonna be.
Speaker 3: Really interested in this conversation. I hope you will be as well. My name is Dan Raynge. Listening to Nightside and WBZ ten thirty and the Am dial here in Boston, Boston's news radio. You all can also can find us on the iHeart app pretty easily. Just download the iHeart Radio app. It's for free and you can listen to us literally anywhere in the world, any hour of the day. Back on Nightside right after the news break at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: It's Nightside Withst's News Radio.
Speaker 3: Delighted to welcome doctor Kenton Kaufman. He's a member of the Mayo Clinic Faculty Mayo Clinic Research. He has done a senior author on a study of musculoskeletal research. Professor at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. I've read about this recently, doctor Kaufman, as to may be a relationship as to how long you can stand on one foot and the answer may predict your fall risk. I get that, but have also said I've also seen that there's some correlation between not only the length of time you can stand, but other factors. Please tell us about it, because I'm so happy to have you on tonight. First of all, welcome to Boston and welcome to Nightside WBZ.
Speaker 7: Thank you for the invitation to be with you, Dan, and look forward to our discussion. The study basically look at a number of factors that have been known to identify aging and older adults, and it compared all those factors and found that the ability to stand on one leg was the one that decreased the quickest with aging. And so that's a good predictor of, you know, how healthy you are as you age.
Speaker 3: Okay, so when we talk about aging, are we talking about people over fifty? Are we talking about people over eighty?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: What sort of a you know, continuum did you study?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Great question. We started. We had people ages fifty to eighty three in this study. The average age was sixty five. There was twenty people below age sixty five and twenty people above age sixty five.
Speaker 2: Oh, was that a large enough sample?
Speaker 3: Again, I'm not christ questioning it here, but you know, in Major league sports, the Minnesota Twins will rank since you're in Minnesota, will bring up some rookie who will hit three hundred for the last two weeks of the season, and they'll find out that he had twenty at bats and six hits, and the baseball professionals will say, well, that's a small sample size. Let's see what he does next spring, and go ahead, doctor only, I'm having some fun with you.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a good point. All these findings are statistically significant. I would say they're also clinically significant. Certainly a larger study would have been better, but these data work were found to be significant.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's break it down. So you're saying any adult should be concerned if they're unable to stand in a one legged position for the constand for five seconds? Is that I'm just looking kind of at the bottom line statistically here.
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's correct. We asked the game that the individuals in the study a target of thirty seconds, and some of them could hit that target and some of them could not. For the individual's underage sixty five, the average time was twenty three seconds, and for those above sixty five, the average time was eleven seconds.
Speaker 3: You're all pretty you must have had some pretty good adults there. I I'm on the wrong side of fifty, but I don't know that I could stand on one leg. I got a bad left ankle, which I've compromised from too much sports and high school and college.
Speaker 2: In my younger years.
Speaker 3: How do you compensate for someone who's got a you know, a real problem with a knee problem or an ankle problem. Do you discount what length of time they can stand on legs that have a joint problem.
Speaker 7: Well, you know that's part of life as you age. And you know again, if you can stand on that leg for over five seconds, you're probably not as much at risk of falling as if you can't. So, yeah, we took healthy older adults in the community that we study.
Speaker 3: Okay, now you correlated with longevity as I understand it, meaning if you have someone and they're unable to do this at a certain age, whatever that age is, sixty sixty five, seventy seventy five, tell us about the longevity. What does that mean? I don't want my listeners tonight going to bed thinking they're going to die in their sleep. But what does that mean? Put aside falls for a second, let's talk just longevity.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so this study was a cross sectional study, just looking at a group of older adults. To really look at longevity, you would need to follow the same person over time to see if there's any predictive ability.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: So therefore longevity really was not really has not been study here.
Speaker 2: The question is your proclivity to falling?
Speaker 7: That's correct. Well, actually the question was about balance but but balance is the you know, loss of balance is the leading costing of falls and older adults. So in essence, it's just to be about falling too.
Speaker 3: I was watching a video last night of some exercises that people can do to improve their balance, and essentially it showed people standing straight up and you know, basically bringing one leg up to the one side of their body, putting that leg down, bringing the other leg up to the other side of the body. And then there was some some some pretty simple you know, which seemed to me to make sense. Basically people standing straight on their you know, on their legs, standing up and taking the leg and moving the right legout, you know, thirty thirty five degrees, bringing it back, bringing the left leg out thirty to thirty five degrees, and doing it, you know, twenty twenty five times. Any of those exercises helpful. Can people improve their balance by doing extra specific exercises?
Speaker 7: They can? And some of the things you were mentioning are exercises for balance, and you know that. I think the message for your listeners is is that, you know, if you're having trouble with balance, then maybe look at some of these exercises that are easy to do that you can do at home.
Speaker 2: Okay, And then let me ask you one personally. Okay.
Speaker 3: I spend a lot of time in the gym, and my favorite machine to work is the elliptical because they don't have to worry about impact, you know, joint impact. And so what I try to do is I try to do ten minutes without touching anything, without holding it on anything, keeping my balance, and then as I get a little tired and I move up, you know, the the greater resistance, you know, I'll hold on with something like that help your balance if someone's doing you know, ellipticals where you're standing, you know, you want to be an athletic position while you're doing it.
Speaker 2: You don't want to be standing up straight.
Speaker 3: You want to sort of be kind of leading into it. Is that something that would help people to improve their balance?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, And that's a that's a real good test to balance because you're you're moving and you have to shift your late from side to side.
Speaker 3: Good Okay, Well okay then and then I've stumbled into a couple of things that that that I will.
Speaker 2: Continue to do.
Speaker 3: Is there any way in which people can either get access to the study or get access to information about the study. Is there any any website we can refer folks to.
Speaker 7: Oh, yeah, that's a great question. So this is an open access journal, so there's no charge for them to to access to the article. It's in a journal called plus one. I'm I don't exactly have the exact, uh, you know, way to go get it, but it's something they can access, and I'm sure they'll be away for on your website for them to find that link and be able to access it.
Speaker 3: Looks to me like the plus one is spelled not like like plus like addition, but it's p l O S or Am I.
Speaker 7: Missing something that is correct? PLS one?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: And I'm sure that if they just google plus one p l os not plus p l U S p l O S one, they'll they'll be directed to it.
Speaker 2: Google is pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they get you generally to the website pretty easily. Doctor Cobblin really enjoyed the conversation. Thank you so much for giving us your time. The Mayo Clinic is such a wonderful institution. We have great medical facilities here in Boston, obviously, but the Mayo Clinic is one, along with the Cleveland Clinic that they we stand in hour of those two clinicses and others around the country. We have great medical facilities in Boston, but there are a lot of great medical facilities around the country as well. Thank you so much for the work you've done.
Speaker 2: On this issue.
Speaker 7: You have great facilities in Boston. It's a pleasure to be with you this evening. Thank you for your time.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, Doctor Kenton Kaufman, senior author of the Mayo Clinic study as a research professor at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Now when we come.
Speaker 3: Back, we are going to talk with a second group, a representative of a second group dealing with veterans, because obviously we have Veterans Day coming up on Monday, November eleventh, is just around the corner. Going to be talking with Bill Moore, founder of Project New Hope. We'll be back on Night's Side with our next guest on the other side of this very quick break on Wednesday night, the night after the election that we have been talking about and thinking about for months, and for that matter, for years.
Speaker 2: We'll be back right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nights Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: All right, I want to welcome Bill Moore. He's the founder of a group called Project New Hope. Bill, explain to us exactly what Project New Hope is and how long it's been in operation.
Speaker 2: Welcome to night Side.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I'm an Air Force veteran and I retired. Thank you, sir. I retired, and about seventeen years ago and fourteen years ago I started Project New Hope to offer free weekend retreats and week long retreats for veterans in their families. We focus on We have male veterans retreats, Women veterans retreats, couples retreats, we focus on TBI PTSD, just a whole host of almost of retreats and stuff.
Speaker 3: Just where are the where are the retreats? How are they in one location essentially located or are they wells?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well we have them. We also use grotten Wood. It's in Groton, mass We go up to Oldoche Beach, Maine. We host retreats up there, and we do most of our retreats up in Westfield at a facility called Genesis UH and those are week long retreats. And then New we just started them last last year and it's they're called the katinam at At TCM. And if you have a veteran struggling with PTS, guild anger, you know, fear, physical pain, limited beliefs, the patina at At TCM resolves and dissolves these problems. And it's based on neuroscience and brain based hailing that helps the people get over the trauma without having it to relive any pain.
Speaker 7: Are really.
Speaker 2: How do veterans find you?
Speaker 5: So they go on to our website projectnew Hopema dot org and they click on to the tab that says retreat and we'll list all the retreats. We have one coming up tomorrow we're leaving for for a week and it's up in Westfield, mass And it's a men's TCM retreat and that will be our last one for twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: So over the course of the year, how many of these retreats are held? And I'm just wondering how many service personnel and or you know, their spouses are off significant others are accommodated, Yes.
Speaker 5: Sir, So these new retreats here, we're limited to ten veterans. So the male veterans retreat and the women veterans retreat is ten each and we bring in five trauma based specialists. Each trauma based specialists is assigned two veterans. The couple's retreat is five veterans or military members and their spouses and we do a lot of the you know, equining therapy and yoga and reiki and reflexology and massage and hot therapy, and it's it's really incredible. And if any of the listeners just want to go into our website and just click on retreats and scroll down and read some of the testimonials and see some of the photos of these retreats, it's just it's really incredible what's taking place here, this transformation.
Speaker 3: Now, how did you get involved? Were you dealing with some of these issues yourself? At some point in post military?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Some one hundred percent service connected and I had PTS and I was a social worker for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I worked for dc UP before I retired. I had twenty five years and I was always out looking for different things here and my wife and I were down in Flower, Uh with kind of snow goods and we came across the TCM retreats that were being offered down there, and we reached out to Michael Katina and you know, had multiple conversations with him, and I asked him if he would consider host and retreats here in Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: And no idea who Michael Katina is or who is Who's Michael?
Speaker 5: Well, Michael, Michael Katina is the the gentleman that created the Katina method. He created, Uh, this brain based healing module that we that we utilize. And uh, he goes all over the country talking about TCM and hosting retreats and in different countries and stuff, and uh, it's truly incredible what he's offering.
Speaker 3: Now, do you do you work full time on this or is it or is it has it become a vocation or is it When I say an application, I use that have a word application in the best sense where you're actually, you know, volunteering time or are you part of the team that administers this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I'm the founder and president of a Project New Hope and I retire. The VA put me at one hundred percent service connected and I retired about seventeen years ago, and so I just volunteer my time here and I run Project New Hope And you know, everything else that we offer here, okay, And.
Speaker 3: If folks either want to take advantage of the opportunity, they can go to a Project New Hope for Massachusets obviously all oneword dot org. Yeah, if you want to looks like you're accepting people to work as volunteers as.
Speaker 7: I understand this, Yes, sir, yes we have.
Speaker 5: We have one full time employee, my operations manager, and we have eight part time people, but the majority is volunteers. And besides the retreats, we also we have a food pantry, a baby pantry, we have a veterans coffee social that meets every Tuesday. We do acclaim assistance here of this, you know.
Speaker 2: And where where are you located?
Speaker 3: Obviously you're in Massachusetts, but where's the hub of activity?
Speaker 5: So the main office here is in Worcester on seventy James Street. Also wee one twenty nine A and then we have an office up in Westfield.
Speaker 2: Mass Right.
Speaker 3: Okay, So that way, folks either who need some help are invited to get in touch with you at that website, Project New Hope m A all one word lowercase dot org or if people would like to support you. You certainly are not going to turn away people who want to financially support you. I certainly get that and respect that, and thank you for everything that you've done on behalf of Veterance.
Speaker 5: Thank you, sir, I appreciate it, Sir, Thank you very kindly.
Speaker 3: Okay, Bill Moore, who's exactly direct and chair the board of Project New Hope. When we get back, we're going to be talking about a new president, the forty seventh president of the United States. Many people thought this would not be decided, maybe until Friday or Saturday. Well, it was done this morning. For around five am. Most of us were asleep at least I was woke up to find out that, yeah, what it appeared the direction that Donald Trump was heading in. And we're going to talk with Dave.
Speaker 2: Paley Logus about that and going to get your reaction.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised, as anyone, I will admit, I'm stunned that Donald Trump was able to complete this return to office.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that coming back on night side