Speaker 1: In the week that Royalty visited Wakefield, a man who is the namesake of Rugby League Royalty has announced he's joining Wakefield in twenty twenty seven. Princess Kate headed to Bellevue this week and that's basically a year ahead of when Leeds Is Cameron Smith will leave for Wakefield. Yes, it's more than one Cameron Smith in this world. I don't know if you knew that. I'm not content with trips to Vegas and the Catalan region Wigan. Now want to take Warrington to Dublin, where I'm sure Sam Burgess will be more than welcome to dance on tables after a loss. Welcome to the seventh seventh episode of Super League three sixty, a podcast primarily about the British game. My name is Lee Addison.
Speaker 2: My name is John Davidson.
Speaker 1: How are you, Johnny. You've been a bit tired the last couple of weeks. I'd hate to keep you up late when I'm getting up at daft o'clock in the morning. You know.
Speaker 2: I'm doing only heavy lifting and the breaking all the stories, you know, promoting things get around the games, interviewing people.
Speaker 1: So you know, the only heavy lifting, the only heavy lifting you're doing, is that head of yours? I'm a coach in Australia, John a journo in the UK. If you want to know more about us, please read the description or listen to old pods because we've got loads to get through today. John So podcast has been aired on the Ashes, Rugby League and Rugby League Coach podcast platforms, so if you're listening to those there, please gradually switch over to Super League three sixty, which I think a few of you are doing now, and also it will be on YouTube on the Rugby League Coach channel. Sorry, I messed the video up a bit last week and made it tiny, so John's head got smaller on that. But if you check any of those things then you won't miss a thing. John's tweet of the week quote more shit takes about people with zero fucking clue close quote. Sorry about my profanity, but I'm quoting my friend here, John. What was that about? John?
Speaker 2: Ah, just just when you read certain things in the media from people who either should know better or shouldn't be basically priding in the media.
Speaker 1: So you're talking about rugby league media, I mean to.
Speaker 2: Be honest, it's it's it's it's general media. I wouldn't say it's just rugby league with you, but I think I think there are a lot of sometimes people interview players, coaches, officials, whatever, and they just and nauseam just swallow what they're told. They don't question, they don't sort of you know, there's no sniff test, and they just reproduce it. And I don't think that does anyone any good.
Speaker 1: Rugby league tweet of the week at r L. Sorry at Culmery Pimp said to Buzz Rothfield, who will talk about a bit in the r N r L segment, said have you apologized to Madge yet? I assuming reference the fact that he said he was over coaching. Buzz replied for pointing out he was over coaching them, they won comp because he backed off you goose. So that's the rugby league. I should maybe call it rugby league conversation of the week, Socials popper Lee of the week. It's been quiet. But on my YouTube channel at Joseph Counda eight nine eight four, and he had edited this too, said to me, you comments does not make sense. I don't know what you are talking about, and I replied, neither does your writing. So it's been a quiet week. We've been good. John. You've got some questions on social media though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got some feedback about this podcast episode. Obviously, some really good news about Magic Weekend. Obviously, ticket sales I think they're about forty seven thousand the top of my head, I think the Hill Dickinson Stadium holds about fifty two to fifty three, so it's on track to be the biggest attendance in Magic Weekend history in the UK, which I think off the top of my head, since there's something around about sixty eight thousand over the two days in Newcastle. But obviously it's in July, so we've got a long way to go. But yeah, I was there for the second Ash Test. It's a fantastic stadium. My only complaint is that the Press Pops is about four k's in the sky, so when you're as lazy and unfit as I am, it's a fair ever getting up and down. But no, it's a fantastic stadium. I think it creates a great atmosphere. Obviously Liverpool is a is a great city to stay in and go out, and obviously Liverpool is a lot closer to Saint Helen's, Wigan, Lee Warrington, a lot of those clubs. So yeah, it's baiting for a great weekend in July. And it's funny because there were certain people in Super in the RFL who wanted to scrap Magic this year because it is a loop fig sure, but it is one of the It is a great concept. I've always been a big splorer, but obviously the NRL borrowed at shall we say, a few years ago and it's been a big hit in Australia and it's good that it's continuing and it's great to see, you know, growing as an event. It's long ever due.
Speaker 1: Are they adding this fixture on?
Speaker 2: I e.
Speaker 1: If it's Wigan versus Saint Helen's, will that be the third one of three?
Speaker 2: Yes? It is, it is.
Speaker 1: It is the only loot fixture, right, that's a bit weird, I guess. I guess the stadium experience that a lot of people had last year was a positive. Also the fact that England really aimed up in that game. I mean they weren't smart, but they played to football. They roughed, They roughed Australia up a little bit and the game was close for at least fifty five minutes so so, and in terms of your comment about the press box being in the sky, I mean all the press do is shit takes about people with zero fucking clue, So we don't need to sorry for again. I'm just call so any other any other questions on on.
Speaker 2: Well, we did have a we did have a quote from James Valley about the upcoming London Broncos v Bradford Bulls Challenge Cup tie which is not this Sunday but the following Sunday. That is a very very juicy tie and I will be at that game. I'm really looking forward to it. I've never been to the Cherry Red Record Stadium or Plow Lane which is the home of Wimbledon AFC in Southwest London. But yeah, there's obviously been lots of chat and talk about the London Broncos side that it's a you know, the best team that the champions have ever had, and obviously it's coached by a former and ROL coach and it's got an XCEN role players and P and G internationals and et cetera, et cetera. So yeah, it's going to be a great tie, you know, a big challenge for Bradford who are going to Super League, but a lot of people think they will struggle. So yeah, it's going to be a beauty for the game. It's going to be on a BBC on the R play, So yeah, let's.
Speaker 1: And that's a good segue for us to talk about where this podcast is going in the next couple of weeks, because the week after that it's not on the BBC. No, but the they'll they'll they'll edit it too much and make us change attack of what we're saying the the podcast. Because the season's about to start, we're hoping we will be going recording Sunday night. Monday. Man, it'd be out Monday morning in the UK at some point on Monday in in in England, in Australia. The Also, we're going to be doing random podcasts at random times, so I guess we just suggest people just click on whatever they subscribe to Super E three sixty on Apple or Spotify or and just check for the podcast because we're going to be doing bits more. We'll have the odd guests on and because we're in the habit at the moment, aren't we of everybody gets this on Friday, but I guess what I'm saying is next week will probably be the last Friday, and then well, no, it won't be the last Friday. It will it will become at a different time. I've made a massive botch of saying that we're probably going to be recording on a different day there, But we're also going to be doing more content, aren't we.
Speaker 2: So we are I mean the season, I mean, obviously the charge CAP's been we're heading the third round. But the season, as in the Super League season officially kicks off in.
Speaker 1: Two weeks, two weeks February the twelveth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the launch is next Wednesday, which I'll be at in Manchester, and then I'll be at the opening game. He will be drug by okay Are and then a week later we've got the Brisbane Broncos and ok Are in the World Cup Challenge, so lots of big juicy ties to get stuck into.
Speaker 1: John will be the intrepid reporter keep saying, is everyone who's listened to you just think you sit on the house all the time. But the key thing is people are sending us quoquestions now. So if you want to send me questions, you can email me Admin at Rugby League Coach dot com to tay you or get me at Rugby League Coach on Facebook, Instagram, well everywhere really apart from X where I'm at RL coach on the net. But please only message me on Instagram and Facebook. John.
Speaker 2: You can get me on X Johnny d Davidson and you can get me on Facebook at John Davidson Journalists. We also had one last comment from Paul Franks who asked, who is the next RFL CEO? Now I can't answer that because I believe the process is still going on. There's been a lot of rumors about who has applied for the position. The rumors include Warrington CEO, car Fitzpatrick and okay, our CEO, Paul Lake, and I have actually spoke to Carl and he denied that he applied, but there is lots of speculation about that and whether it will just be a shuffling of the chairs of the existing people of the RFL, which has known to happen before.
Speaker 1: So John, I'd hate to you know, Trump you're here, but a big high profile CEO in the Australian sporting world called me this week for all the gossip if you like, or all the word on the street of what is happening in Super League and in the rugby Football League and rugby league in England in general, because he listens or watches this podcast and he spoke to one of the big hitters in British rugby league a day later, so when we stopped recording, I might tell you who it is. Well, yes, there's interested everywhere that you're yes, yes, And I think I think if this guy was to get the job, well, first of all, because he's over in Australia, it will strengthen tie between Australia and England in rugby league terms. His first name wouldn't be shame with it. No, maybe I don't know. I'll have to ask him. And and it also would be an excellent appointment that people would be really happy with me.
Speaker 2: I've learned that now I will be happy about everything, Lise. Some people will be and some people won't be.
Speaker 1: That's we're talking about not being happy. I am noting the amount of players in Super League now that are of stately caliber, and I am also very cognizant of the fact that the game is in a state of flux at the moment. Things are changing the NCL has come under the RFL structure, the contracts that a duel have been scrapped, a super League expanded from twelve to fourteen, all that kind of thing. My question on what one to have a chat about is why are clubs still use eng agents to get state league quality players so using the path of leaf reef resistance when right in their backyards there will be players in the championship and top amateur that just need some polish who would do a bet, who would do just as good a job. So if you think about getting a player from overseas, you have to find them housing, You have to find kids, schools, flights, flights home if they need those. It's quite expensive and it's also quite a lot of work. That's just with say four or five players. You need people on the ground helping to set the house up and making sure all the home comforts are ready for when you've flown over okay as a player. So we used to do this in England for NROL quality players and sometimes some of the big hitters. Now it seems clubs are doing the same for players who play for the state league. In more and in more and more, on more and more occasions. Why are clubs doing this John when England was so poor, when England haven't won the Ashes or a World Cup for fifty odd years, and there's players underneath in the system. And it's got back to this because it used to be used to be quite significant. The top amateur teams were better than so many professional teams twenty five thirty years ago. I think it's starting to get back there a little bit now because I know of many player who are choosing to drop to the championship because they can work full time and then earn something in the evening and then combine the two amounts of money, they have a better lifestyle. But also many of them have a loyalty to their amateur club and also loyalty to the game as a as a as a part of a community. Why aren't clubs spending more time looking at what is in the backyard?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's a number of reasons in my opinion for that. I think just a point on the amateur teams. I don't think that gap is closing because if you look at the recent Challenge Cup results, you know there was one hundred nils Nils.
Speaker 1: But the team that wasn't That wasn't Worth Brow or Fat o'heath or Thornhill or somebody in the somebody elsewhere.
Speaker 2: There was a there was a real mixture of.
Speaker 1: Who did some of the not who did some of the Northern teams play.
Speaker 2: I'd have to look at the fixture list of the top of my head, but I know there was a there was a list of amateur teams and they all got you know, spanked. And I mean, it's not surprise when you've got semi professionals against amateurs. It's not like soccer where you can park the bus and play long bowl.
Speaker 1: I get that. It's more about that. It's more about the system. John. It's more so. I know this week or last week there might have been some results that are are not great, but a seventeen year old or an eighteen year old that's really talented but just missed out on Super League selection for whatever reason, they might decide to go down that pathway. So for the next five years they may get less training, less professionalism, So their standard of football is going to drop a little bit over time, isn't it right? That's my point. This isn't I don't think we can take a snapshot and goal and goal this this is where we're at. You said it yourself, and I'm going to I'm going to link in what I was going to bring in in media watch. I went to bed last night. Just before I fell asleep, something that really helped me ghostly was an article that came through from John Davidson about the rugby league brain drain in England.
Speaker 2: And let me just before you continue on, that is actually something I wrote four or five years ago which popped up on my Facebook memories and I reread it and I thought I'll repost this because I think it's just as permanent now as it was then.
Speaker 1: And so if you think of that brain drain, imagine how many players have turned their back on the game because of the lack of pathway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's not It's not just players, as I wrote, it's coaches, it's people in marketing, it's journalists, it's CEOs. Yeah, there's countless, countless people.
Speaker 1: So instead of looking at a snapshot in time, what I'm saying is, if there's a brain drain, can you imagine how many players are turning their back on the game of rugby league in England because there's so many overseas players and then imagine those players are state league quality players. Yeah, no, it's a good point. I mean I've just bought the results of the second round of Challenge Cup and there is a mixture in terms of the amateur teams. But keith Lee sixty six, I think, is it Heworth or I don't even know where they are at sixty six nil, Hands upbeat Sanging forty four nil. Swinton Lions beat ince Ro's Bridge forty four to twenty six, which is a competitive game. Barrow Road has beat Williamson Dude seventy six to four. Sulford beat Hammersmith Hills Hoist which is a kiweosie club in London forty two to ten winners. Vikings be his Crusade seventy six nil. It's not a result service.
Speaker 2: Thank to you.
Speaker 1: I get the idea. But that's a snapshot in time, John right. So some of those players at Wigan Saint Dude's wat Brow wherever it is, eight years ago, nine years ago, ten years ago, they may have decided I'm just going to play for my amateur club. That's if they stay in the game. If there's a brain drain where we're going to feel it in playing stocks because all in theory, all the better stocks will rise into the professional ranks. Yet, so if you're going to if you're going to leave the game part of this brain drain that you're talking about, you're more likely to stay in it if you're going to get financially recompensed for your work, aren't you. Yes, of course there's a lot of rugby league players and there's a lot of sports people in general who don't necessarily enjoy the game like they used to, but they do it because they get paid for it. So the brain drain. So I admit I might have been wrong about the the closeness of amateur clubs right now to English professional clubs, I understand. But I'm talking about the the chats I've had with people over the years about people who've left the game, people who could have played professionally. And I still go back to my point, why aren't Why aren't we providing a scenario that makes these players think that they have a fair crack and instead, why are we getting state league players?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's a great expense. Yeah, there's a couple of reasons for that. I think partly. I think a lot of the scanning and recruitment is quite of a poor standard. I think some clubs just rely on a handful of agents who have connections in Australia.
Speaker 1: It's easy, you just pick up the phone and go who should we do? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And are there are exceptions to that rule and they do fantastic recruitment and they have people on the ground Australia and they have relationships and they recruit really well, but a lot of them don't. A lot of them it off YouTube or past performances. I think also there's a belief and you could say this is right or wrong, but I mean there's a lot of points to it being right in many ways, but that doesn't mean it's in every case. But there's a belief that the development systems in Australia are better than the UK. So if you get a twenty one year old half back from Redcliffe, for example, not Redcliffe, I don't know, Tormba, he's going to be better than a twenty one year old half back from Sheffield because he's played at a higher standard through his junior years, he's had a better level of coaching. So I think that's another element. I think the other element is obviously there is really no reserves football. Let's be honest. There they played five or six games a year, so that was scrapped years ago. It's kind of try to be brought back but not really worked. So there is a big gap for that academy level. So if you end your academy level whatever it is, eighteen nineteen, and then you're not in a super league system as in you're in not in that top thirty, or you're not playing regularly, where do you go You go to the championship or you either go on play amateur or you effectively retired, don't you. So there's a big cut off point at that level. Yeah, yeah, and that's yeah, And people have been banging on that for a while, so I think that's how the issue. The other issue is participation, Like participation is been declining, if not stagnant. I mean the fact that female participation has grown in recent years, which they put together to say, oh, look over or a participation is going all right, but it isn't. It's gone downhill. And the thing is there's not really anything done by the head office to promote participation. Schools rugby is almost non existent in my experience rugby league. There isn't really like there is an Australia you know rugby league schools. It's not pushed by schools even in rugby league areas, and there's not really development offices. They've all been sort of cut back in places like London and the Newcastle and the Midlands. That was ten or more years ago. The funding has gone, so we're not really pushing, you know, trying to get kids picking up you know, Steven's and then improving the overall participation. So the playing boat is definitely reduced. The depth of talent is not there. But I do agree with you Lee in the sense that I think there is definitely plays in the championship who could do a very good job. There are like diamonds to be found to be polished. I just think a lot of clubs probably think it's safer to go with some ossie who's been in an hour old system for a couple of years than you know, some kid.
Speaker 1: It's lazy, it's path of least resistance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think it is. I think it is lazy, but I think that's the way, that's the way, and to be honest, I think a lot of fans probably see that they'd rather have some ossie who's played two games for the Newcastle Knights and most of his career World Cup, then you know, a young junior from I don't know, Halifax, Like I think.
Speaker 1: That there is that the turnout they turn out for locals in their backyard.
Speaker 2: Though oh yeah, I'm not saying that fans don't want to see that. You know, their local juniors do well and whatever. But you know there's all a seat on social media the reaction. You know, we've signed so and so from the NRL or so and so from Australia, like he must be good. That's the kind of stereotype and it's not always the case, as we know not. And you know you mentioned about bringing players over, like homesickness is a real thing, you know, the classic cultures. Some people can't handle moving fifteen thousand miles across from the other side of the world away from their friends and family. That they struggle. And also you know that the temperature is a big thing. The way the game's refereen, there's lots of things, there's lots of things to adjust. The other I just add last the other thing I think that there is an element is obviously the League One is gone this year we have the Championship and League One merge. But there's a bit of a watering down between the divisions, like it's not like where the NRL is so far up here and then you have sort of new sols Queensland Cup and then you have you know below that Ron Massy and you have your Group nine and your Group eight whatever. Super League is not that far ahead of the Championships. It's not on a big pedestal. It would be.
Speaker 1: Great and the range of standards in the Championship will be massive this year. I would have thought there'll be that's that's hard time teams playing against full time teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've got you've got teams like London and Oldham who are I mean Oldham are full sorry London a full time. Oldham have got a lot of X full time players or you know, I've got a massive budget and then you'll have teams that are on you know, an eighth of that budget or if not less. So there's already divisions within divisions and there will be in Super League you'll have whole KR and we're going to Leeds and then you'll have York and Bradford and Toulouse and there'll be light year between them. That's yeah. So souper playing in Super League, isn't it attractive proposition? I think if you're earning okay money as a part timer in the Championship.
Speaker 1: Now Leeds did have a player called Cameron Smith though, and do have a player called Cameron Smith.
Speaker 2: Yeah, correct you there, there's there's another famous Cameron Smith.
Speaker 1: It's that golfer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, with the mallet.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I said, there's more than one Cameron Smith. I'll correct you back, said one Cameron Smith talking about me. There's actually three we can think of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there's only one who is maybe the greatest rugby league player of falls.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. I think you need more coke zero. So I was actually I was, I don't. I don't want to sound negative, but Cam Smith leaving Leeds I'm thinking which and our row clubs are signing for. And also this thing that it's a year ahead of of when he plays. I mean, rugby has got to get rid of.
Speaker 2: This and just in ra but it's also bizarre and that he's on his testimonial year. He just had its testimonial game against Bradford. So if you're on Leeds fan and you know he's leading at the end of the year, you probably are you going to go on and support the testimonal.
Speaker 1: And I assume one of the reasons he's going to Wakefield he was born and raised in Pontefract. I think so when I was looking at the motivations, why he might be doing that or has he become surplus to requirements at Leads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think my understanding is they've got they've got a good croup of long local juniors there. Presley Cassell is one of them, and they think they can get very value over some of those young players. So they're sort of with some.
Speaker 1: State league players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it happens. It happens in Rugula League.
Speaker 1: Staying at Leeds Jared O'Connor after he featured on Super League three sixty And I must apologize for the YouTube video that it was because I put these videos in first. That's how Jared O'Connor, son of Terry's saying at Leeds for an other two years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not a big not a big surprise. He had his first child he's partner had his first child last year. I think he's very settled in Leeds. I think his partner's got a really good job and very close to his family. So you know, I think there's a lot of interest, you know, from from Perth, from Many there was interest from Warrington, Catalans. He had an approach from Hofc before so braided highly. But yeah, I think he is very happy where he is. And you know he's been at Leeds for five years and no surprise that he put pen to paper for another two seasons.
Speaker 1: Ignacious Party is off to Witness, so he's dropping a division.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one that's been bobbing around for a while. Had a number of people confirm that to me over the weekend. He's been at and Helm's for a couple of seasons now. Obviously he was sort of midway through there. Four came out from the New Zealand Warriors. But getting on. I think he's about thirty four now and he did actually re sign with Saint Helens about November. I think must have been after Paul Wells are left. But obviously the talks and it wasn't a popular decision by the sim Helens fans. I think they think they've seen the best of him. So Witness seemed to be seem to have had some new investment recently, quite active in the transfer market, and he looks like a player that they'll either get either on loan or permanently. I'm not sure how that will wind up, but it looks very likely in the new future.
Speaker 1: Zach Sinnia Cass has been offered out on long to all the clubs as he found a home yet for twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: No, I know he's been offered to a few championship clubs, but yeah, obviously Cash just signed up. I can't remember the guy's name, but they just signed a center from well from the Newcastle Knights, and so I was cuptown. I think he played a couple of games in the NRL, but they're fairly stopped at center, and obviously with Ryan Carr coming in, I think he wants to put his own stamp on the squad. So yeah, they are looking to offload him at the moment.
Speaker 1: So he's going to obviously struggle at this time of year to find somewhere unless somebody can accommodate some of his wageeroord assume as well. So Sheffield in that division have some stadium issues. Yeah, they've been it's about two and a half years.
Speaker 2: They've been looking to build a new stadium on the other side of Sheffield, on the sort of Dronfield. And now the guy who owns Sheffield Eagles is Jeremy Levin, who also owns Sheffield f C, which are off the top of my head six or seventh division Association football team. This proposed site that I have in Sheffield, I think basically they have been you know, people aren'thappy about the trafficker woud add it would be a five thousand seat stadium, a five thousand capacities adium, should I say, And the council still hasn't approved anything, which is you know, a year or more after so it seems like that's dead in the water and they're looking at another site which is actually closer to where they are now at the Olympic Legacy Park, which is the old done Valley side. But the problem is where they are now it's just it's one stand, there's nothing else. It's not a great ground. I watched the Sheffield Eagles game on the Eyeplayer on Sunday and they looked like there was about three people there, which is not a great you know, it's not a great look for you know, obviously Sheffield is not a rugby league city. It's dominated by Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday, but it's a fairly big city and it's a place where there is potential. But it's just not happening there for the Eagles, and they were in Super League.
Speaker 1: It was a warm.
Speaker 2: Challenge Corp in ninety seven ninety eight, Wigan the biggest upset. Yeah, so they do really need a new stadium, but it doesn't seem to be happening. So yeah, it's not a great bit of news for the Eagles.
Speaker 1: Oldham have some stadium dramas too, a bit of a.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's been a bit reports and then Oldham come out with a statement. There seems to be a bit of a dispute between Oldham Rugby League Club and Oldham Athletic with Boundary Parker Stadium which they've started back sharing and it seems like their chairman Bill Quinn has been banned for a year so they can't play a Boundary Park at the moment, which is not great, but it's just the rugby league is the sport that keeps on giving the as you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good play. Saddleworths is very nice there. Yeah, I've been to Saddleworth Rangers. This is nice.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're going to get a couple of thousand in there, but.
Speaker 1: You have to take ten on one side because of the canal or whatever. Yeah. Is anyone firming for the England job at all in your intrepid journalistic world.
Speaker 2: Not that I've heard about anyone. Obviously, there's been confirmation. Willie Peters has said publicly he's interested, Brad Arthur said publickely he's interested. Many Pete said publicly he's not interested.
Speaker 1: Well, so one one organization in particular seems to be interviewing anybody who's ever coached and then putting it out as a story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's that's just standard standard players there. But yeah, there's no there's not been any talk behind the scenes that I'm aware of. I mean, there isn't a game before well before the World Cup, is it. Obviously they'll make a decision before there, but I don't think they're in a massive hurry to make a decision in the next few days or is the next no coach, no.
Speaker 1: CEO, things are looking great. And then on the subjects of things looking great, I think it was Steve Mascot who did something this week about the Sky TV money.
Speaker 2: Yes, in one of his columns he reported about some conversations that had gone from some figures in Australia. Whether it was through IMG to those figures in Australia, I'm not sure. Obviously it was Steve's columb but caused a bit of disquiet. Basically the belief in Australia that Sky, after obviously the TV deal super League TV deal ends at the end of the year. They're in talks with Sky and other prospective partners about a new deal, but there is speculation down Under that after this next deal that Sky won't bid. So that, I mean, if that is true, that is really worrying and dangerous.
Speaker 1: It makes the concept of coming into bed with the NRL even more crucial because well, I am of the belief Peter Land is keen on the Super League for TV deal purposes so that it can offer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, a global TV deal makes a lot of sense in many ways, and there are other there are other ways and reasons for why global kind of tie up works internationals, you know, big events in places like London, et cetera. There's there's lots of types. But yeah, if and it's obviously a big if at this stage. But if Sky, you know, weren't to put in I think it's twenty one twenty two million they're putting in at the moment a year, the game, the professional game would be in huge, have huge, huge issues. The problem is there isn't competitive tension. So if you're Sky, you haven't got T and T or Paramount or de Owne saying I will give them thirty or forty million quids. So yeah, people like, yeah, that's the thing. They're a business, they're not a charity. So you know, Super League GARIFL rugby League, you can needs to get bigger, more popular, more publicity to make itself more attractive to sponsors and broadcasters. But unfortunately it hasn't well, it hasn't been really doing that for quite a long time.
Speaker 1: In our show notes, you sent me a message NRL in Las Vegas when the Americans are shooting everyone.
Speaker 2: That was that was another part. I mean, it was an interesting point in Steve's column, and I think Christian Nikolis, who I didn't see. I didn't read the story, but I think he did a piece in the cnymore herold about that. Maybe it was from the chief of Nevada Police or chief of Las Vegas place saying everything will be fine. But yeah, I think it's it's a legitimate point in Steve's column. Obviously, Look, everyone who watches the news can see what's happening in America at the moment. It's part of my French pretty fucking alarming, and there's people getting shot in the streets left right in some city. So I think, and actually it's it's It's interesting because I was chatting to another journalist and to a super leig CEO this week and he asked me, actually, you know, what had been the coverage of what's the kind of reaction to Las Vegas from the English point of view this year? And I think it's been a lot quieter compared to last year because there's not there's for a few reasons, there's not really an angle to this year. Obviously, Leeds and wholek are going. It's great for them, great for their fans who are going, But what's the different angle compared to twenty twenty five that was the first ever Super League game in America, and you know it was kind of bright, new and shiny, and Michael Buffer was over and Wigan and saying let's get ready to rumble. The build up hasn't been as big. And then you look at the political landscape in America how that shifted, you know, war with Greenland, whatever you want to call it. Read I'm ready and then let me finish. And then there's been I've seen stories about you know, people being turned back at least the strains being turned back with visas at more to control because they check your social media and if you've written anything anti Trump or whatever, then they send you're packing. So well, whether it's has an effect or that in terms of the turnout in Las Vegas, I don't know. We'll we'll find out. But there's people askedpking to you who who you know aren't that kind of go because of the climate over there.
Speaker 1: Right, Let's which which country do you want to talk about first? You want to talk about British going over to America or Australians from Sydney going over to America? Which ones do you want to start with first? Because Sydney have have you do you do you consume the news from Sydney in particular areas of western Sydney. The place is like Chicago. There's people getting shot dead all the time at the moment. I've done some deep analysis of this over the last few years, and there was actually a TV series that came out, a drama over a decade ago called Underbelly in Melbourne about the gangland War in Melbourne in the early two thousands of late nineties and in Sydney. What did you say? Sorry, so there was more than.
Speaker 2: A decade, but anyway, don't don't get you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, anyway, two decades. Yeah, but I compared the amount of shootings in a two year period in Sydney compared to the Melbourne Gangland War, and there's more shootings in Sydney. So people in Sydney have probably statistically got more chance of getting shot than people who travel to Las Vegas. Now. The other thing is Las Vegas. Las Vegas is twenty three hours drive away from Minneapolis, where there seems to have been a few a couple of issues in the last few weeks. So this is like people getting worried about traveling to Cairnes because people are getting shot in Sydney, and you know that's ridiculous, right, you know that's absolutely ridiculous. So that's Australia, of all Britain. I don't live in Britain anymore, and all I seem to read about here about Watch is that London has a knife problem. London has a stop and search problem and the chances of you getting stabbed or whatever it may be. So that again is another example of it's going on. Things are going on in Britain now. I go to London all the time and I feel really safe. I think it's great. But what I'm also acknowledging here is that we get certain news items forced our way. Now. If you look at the say the Trump approval rating in the UK and Australia, it's very low. Yet the man is obviously popular to an extent, so much he got voted in for a second time. So I think there's an element of hysteria going on. Ria is a it's basically a continent, and there's a problem in There's been a problem this week with ice enforcers in Minneapolis. What that has got to do with Las Vegas, I really really really don't know. I really don't know have you got an answer to me, because it'd be like literally be like you're going to a Cowboys game and being worried about and there's people in Canterbury Bankstown who are going to Sydney and this is where in these areas are a lot of where the dramas are.
Speaker 2: There's lots of answers to that. Lee and I don't really want to get bogged down out and Money had dickheads on social media. But I think by any measure, what's happening in the USA, it is unstable from the outside booking and people can disagree with that, that's that's fine, But I think there are people with the gitimate concerns and the thing with us and when everything else it is happening in other places, that's much just happening in one city.
Speaker 1: Oh I know that. But anyway, Wigging and Warrington are on about going to Dublin in twenty twenty seven. Yeah, do we can play any games at home anymore?
Speaker 2: You you joke, But someone actually posted a moan about that on Facebook. You know, it's too expensive for going duble And I hope they're refound the season ticke right, Look, people have this weird obsession. You don't have to go to every game like obviously if you've got a season ticket, you want to go to every home game. But there's going to be things like this, like Magic Weekend, like Vegas, like playing in Paris. It's about growing the game, it's about expanding it.
Speaker 1: So but what's the strategy what we're going to do in Dublin for the next ten years after being there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a different question because we're going and Warrington don't run Super League, they're not in charge of the RFL.
Speaker 1: So my point is you just said it's about growing the game, John, It.
Speaker 2: Is about growing the game because I think rugby league in Ireland actually has a There is potential there because it's a very successful rugby union country. It's got strong heritage links to the UK. There's a lot of players actually, even Australian players who can play for Ireland. The connect as I said, the connections are really strong. It's a great place to live, it's a sporting country and I think there is potential there. So I think having a Super Leigue game in Dublin would not only interest some people locals in the city, if it's marketed right, if it's pushed right, and yeah, I mean we're great. It'd be great to have a ten year strategy, which is, okay, we're going to have a game this year and I'm going to do this to that. That's probably wishful thinking.
Speaker 1: But even to be honest, should it shouldn't be?
Speaker 2: No, it should it shouldn't be. But look, we all know, we all know how these things go. We don't need to get bombed out of that. But look, even if it is literally I'm going to go over to Dublin, you know, with my family or whatever and have a good time. Much like Magic Weekend. That's great too. Like it happens in Brisbane, doesn't it in the Magic Round and it gets people from all over Australia, New Zealand. I go to it's a party in Brisbane for a couple of days. Don't make a weekend of it in Dublin. And you know, maybe fans, maybe it'll build a TV audience in Ireland. Look, I think you've got to try things. I have no dramas with all that, I have no dramas with all that. It'll be it'll be something exciting, something different to look out. My problem is a lack of long term development on the back of it. Ie, you've been to this rugby league game, this is the touch point. Yeah, then you've loved it. Here's how you consume it now, Lee, I've said this. Yeah, the reason I want to get bogged because I've said it and written it for so many years. But it's the same with the Challenge Cup final in London, same with the First Ashes Test. It should have been people with London Bronco merch or pushing tickets or saying, you know, here's your local rugby league team. You know, England should have been out doing clinics in the schools before the game.
Speaker 1: It's easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's lots of community and issues we could be doing and should be doing, but there's not generally someone at head office who's organizing this or demanding it or coming up with these strategies. But look, you've got to start somewhere. And I think, you know, Dublin is a I've been in Dublin many times. Great city. I think the arena I've not been there. I've been to Croak Park. I think I did the tour there once. But obviously they're not going to get one hundred thousand in for for Wigan and Warrington, but the yas arendas where links to play and I think it's about eighteen five hundred, so it's a good good size. Yeah, I think it's a it's a win win for rugby league and.
Speaker 1: Then the whole k are. I don't know when they'll play at home with all their jobs everywhere, but they're choking about Amsterdam against twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they played in Amsterdam against York in twenty twenty twenty five, sorry, in January. That was the first of the kind of a plan mention. Obviously, they won the title and they went to the going to Vegas and they've got a World Cup challenge. So it's a bit too crowded the schedule this year. But Amsterdam again is another one. Obviously it's a short ferry ride from Hull to Amsterdam. It's a great city. There is you know, a Dutch rugby league association. There's a lot of rugby union players there. They're trying to grow the game there and I can't remember exactly what the crowd was but it was something like two thousand ish, So again, you know, even if it's just a fun away day I think you've got to create these events for people because you know, Lee like the way sport's gone in this century more recently, it's two events, isn't it. Yeah, that's why you get your mic Tyson and your your Jake Paul and these kind of circuses.
Speaker 1: You know, that tennis game where the events it's not it's moved away from that traditional kind of you know, part two events essentially, So you've got to you've got to move with the times. I think most podcasts at the moment in the rugby league world are doing season previews. We're more nuanced on that, John, We are more developed, we are more challenging. But we're going to preview the teams and want to choose seven this week from the fixture list, the first seven, and then we'll do the next seven in the in before the season starts at least, and we'll just but we'll just have to be quick fire a suppose. So, how are York now it's going to go this year? And who she will look out for?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean that's they're going to struggle. I think it's going to be a huge They've never played the Super League before, They've got a lot of you know, players who were semi pro for most of their career. It's going to be a huge step up for them. I think they'll be in that bottom you know three or four teams. You know, they've got some some Super League and some experience in there, and the likes of Paul Vaughan and Josh Griffin. But yeah, it's going to be a tough year for them. I think again talking about new markets, like, I think it's great the Super League's going to York. I think there is potential in that area, but it will be hard for them on the field.
Speaker 1: Are Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I think they're well primed to defend their title. I think they'll be in the top two or three. They've obviously lost some experience in Joe Burrea Hargroves and Mickey mclaurum, and they've let Calepie Tangan go to Warrington. But they've got Lawton in from North Queensland. They've got very you know, strong squad across you know, their spine, their forward pack, their back line, a lot of experience there, the likes of Michael Lewis, Jes Litton a year older, you know England internationals. I think yeah, I think they can have another very successful year.
Speaker 1: Catalans are an interesting one because first preseason under a new coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean they could be anything. They could be a top fourteen, they could be a bottom four team. It was a pretty disastrous year for them last year's seven, mcnamary getting sacked. Joel Thumpkin's coming in and they've basically gutted the squad. You know, they've got Lewis Dodd, Toby Sexton, Tino, Tino's brother Isaac, Charlie Stains. It's a real kind of weird mishmash kind of squad with some a couple of French players in there as well, and it's really hard to see how they're they're going to go. I mean, it's going to take them a while to gel and and some of those players like Sexton and I can't pronounce his name. You pronounced it for me, brother.
Speaker 1: Isaac oh Fa solum Alawe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that was mad. Yeah, I mean him and Tob Sex and they are going to Perth next year anyway, so they're not there in perpin On very long. I don't think they'll make the playoffs. I think they'll be mid table.
Speaker 1: Ish, but I should have made you do predictions and hould you to account.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think it'll be a difficult season for them. I think they'll struggle.
Speaker 1: Holdersfield going to be unleashed.
Speaker 2: Again. I mean Huddersfield last year was basically fucking horrible for them. It's been pretty bad for a few years. I think it really depends on injuries. They've had a lot of injuries the last couple yes, that seem quite cursed. Their recruitment's been okay, but I can't see them making the top six. I can see them finishing seventh, eighth, ninth maybe and probably getting more wins this year than they had last year. But again, it will won't be easy. I think a lot more right on George Flanigan junior. They're fullback who I think is one of the best young British players coming through. Quite exciting to watch. But yeah they Oh yeah, I can't see a top six.
Speaker 1: I have to think it's a really big time in the history of the club quite frankly, with the potential change of ground and whatnot. Warrington Wolves a big year for them, big year for Sam Burgess because they slipped. Yeah, pressures on a bit, Yeah, pressures on him and he was inches away from getting sacked. And obviously Steve McNamara's coming as his assistant. Apparently he's doing a great job.
Speaker 2: But yeah, George Williams leaving at the end of the year, a lot of changes pulled, one gone, that Dufty gone, some issues with discipline last year, so yeah, they they need to improve, they need to fire and make the top six. I think if things don't go well there early, I wouldn't be surprised to see a change.
Speaker 1: And it's an easy change because Steve McNamara was the assistant coach.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly and I don't think I'll have to check this, but I don't think Sam Burgess has got a contract for twenty twenty seven. I think his contract ends at the end of this year. I could be wrong about that, but yeah, I think I think Warrington need to need to start well. They've still got, you know, some great players at that team. You and Irwin's a really exciting young halfback, one that Andrew Johnson's you know, sort of nominated as as an exciting prospect, so hopefully he gets some game time. Kate Taylor Ray, the fullback, is also a young talent, so yeah, interesting times for the Wolves.
Speaker 1: Saint Helens have a new coach, Paul Rowley.
Speaker 2: Yeah again, big change there, Paul Rowley coming in, Willans getting moved on, a club legend, Jackson Astin's coming in. They had really problems with their spine last year, so Haston comes in. They've still got Lomax there, who's obviously you know, there was some issues with the attack and they tried to move wells be around Tristan Saylor didn't really work as a six. Yeah, Saint Allen's is a really interesting one. They've They've lost a few players, a few back rollers have left on the holf c born In, Dave Klamor and Jacob host from from Australia. It's hard to really get a finger on how they're going to perform this year. I mean, they scraped into the six and they were only one went away from a Grand Final. But I think they probably overachieved. And yeah, I'm not expecting them to be a top three, top two club.
Speaker 1: But in the last club, sorry the last club'll talk about Todaily Leopards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they've been rising for a couple of years. Adrian Land has done a fantastic job there and I yeah, I think they will be in that top four. I think it'll be challenging for league leaders. Still got a very strong spine there, lock A Lamb, great half back, to Pape, great hooker. They've got some really really strong forwards there and the fullback dive of Armstrom coming back from injury who sadly got injured last year. But he's a talent as well. So I think they can have a really good season.
Speaker 1: Over to Australia for a little bit, I genuinely think, and this is part of media watch, but it's also when our l news. I think the biggest news in Australia this week rugby league wise is that Buzz Rowfield Phil Rothfield retiring after fifty years as the, if you like, the main rugby league journalist at the Daily Telegraph and a latter years has been a TV personality as well as a journalist. How do you reflect on somebody like Buzz Rothfield his career and the fact that he's putting the pen away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he's had a very long career. I think has probably been a polarizing figure. Yeah, for kind of a love hype figure for a lot of fans. I think he's been an expert Lloyd hack in the sense that he's very good at gathering news, a lot of contacts, a lot of sources. I did have a little bit to do with him in Las Vegas last year, which go into but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know was he was he good to deal with or was he Ah, well he was wrong about me?
Speaker 2: He was relatively good to deal with. Yeah. Was he fair? He was fair? He was fair actually, But look, I know other people who have claimed he hasn't been fair. I've read a lot of the work I think, love him or hating him, He's definitely, as you said, he's been an institution of Rugby leagu journalism.
Speaker 1: For Is he somebody that you looked to, looked up to as a kid? I suppose, or are you not?
Speaker 2: Probably someone I would say I looked up to in terms of my own style. But I definitely respect his ability to break news, and I think he's always probably been fairly fearless, you know, in terms of copying criticism and taking certain stances. But yeah, I wouldn't say I've agreed with everything he's written or said or done, but I do respect, you know, as a as a journalist. Then I think he's made a massive contribution to sport.
Speaker 1: He's a massive loss, isn't he. I mean I'm feeling that already because the news is so slow in in rugby league world in Australia at the moment. I mean, the next item I've got is Jack Bird leaving the Tigers and Phil Sammy is staying at the Titans. I mean, Jack Bird has been around a few clubs. He's flown around a few clubs, I should say, and this talk he might end up in Super League now, I mean at least he's played plenty of NRL so and Phil Sammy is an underrated player in my opinion, who who has played Origin and he had a great season twenty twenty five, and just in Josh Hannay has decided he's staying there this year now, So not the Titans. Any comments on any of those who's going to sign Jack Byrd?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think he's had Super League interest for a law. I don't think he's wanted to make the move, and right I think it necessary. I think it's probably a last result for him. So yeah, I think he'd be looking to pick up a contract. I mean Jack Bird's one of those players that you kind of I think about when he burst on the scene, it looked like he could have been anything. You know. I think he played a bit of origin for yourself, Wales, but he just sort of had injury after injury, didn't he and sort of moved, you know, from the back line ind to the forwards a bit. And I am not to be too harsh, but it seems like he never really kicked on or and I could be wrong in that perception, but never maybe fully realized his potential, whether that was because of injuries or what. But yeah, I think you'll probably get a contract somewhere in the NRL. I'd imagine whether it be you know, just outside of Top thirty or on a standby show we said, I don't think you'll make the move to superlu Johnny's job.
Speaker 1: I'm going to bring this in for you because I've decided what Johnny's job is this week. The amount of client journalism getting sprung these days is alarming. Hard to see how these people sleep at night quote unquote mhmm, yeah, who are you jabbing there? Anyone in particular?
Speaker 2: Oh, lots of people. But yeah, I think I don't want to go into a dietribe, but journalists, I don't want to go into it three times on this podcast. Yeah, you're really sticking a knife for mate. You'll get me hung by bowing words. But look, I think there seems to be some dispute about the role of journalism from some people and from some journalists. You know something that you know, you shouldn't write anything that isn't that that is damaging or questions you know you should just if someone tells you think you should just print it. You're just a rugby league thing. It's just a general thing. It's in rugby league, it's in in journalism generally. You shouldn't be a mouthpiece for for anyone. You know, you obviously people tell you things, and you feel allegiances to your sources and whatever, but you've got to be honest. You pursued of the truth. And you know it's clear not only in rugby league, but in other things that that certain journalists are or either used or allow themselves to be used and then conveniently look away or don't say anything when when certain things happen. And for me, you know, you've got to You've got to have that obligation to to the truth and you know, to be honest. Yeah, And it's not something that that everyone obviously follows or sees or believes.
Speaker 1: But yeah, there's a strange thing in rugby league. It's like anything that isn't warm and fuzzy he gets classed as negative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the rugby league example of that is that you have to be a cheerleader daily league.
Speaker 1: Yeah. As if anything that you say, question it examinishes, it diminishes it a little. Yeah, as opposed to if you break an egg, you can make an omelet approach, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Or the fact that you want something to be better or bigger or greater because you love it and you're you're passionate about it. Yeah, that's the attitude. That's an attitude that has pissed me off for a long time. And I get I get painted as someone who's who's negative or whatever, but when I'm just calling as I say it and being honest. But that's the one approach. Everyone says they love honesty and they love the truth, and most people don't.
Speaker 1: Actually, that's right, you're talking of the honesty and truth. Lee's laugh this week is about the Royal visit or firstly, I want it to be known to anybody who will hit listen to me that I'm not a Royalist at all. I think it's the biggest council house in the country and the most expensive one. And then yeah, anyway, but Princess Kate who went to Wakefield this week, she seems lovely and genuine. I remember watching her greet the players at the quarter final in the last World Cup in Wigan and she just seemed a warm, genuine person, just genuinely interesting the conversations she's having and whatnot. That said, at Wakefield, everyone was on eggshells a little bit, but all smiles. But there was one lady. She wasn't rude to her, but she didn't even look at the Princess and it looked like a little silent snub and it actually may not may or may not have been, but she was next to her on the the Princess was stood to her left and she was sat at the table. She didn't even look at her. You know, it could have been like.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's like the doosey if you look directly, he might turn the stone. I don't know.
Speaker 1: And then she went out to the field through the well. She went to the dugout and there were three male school kids there, or they looked like males. You never know these days, they could identify as something else. But anyway, there was three school kids there and they actually the boys looked like they wanted to be anywhere else but where they were. It was hilarious, right, And the school girls that Kate then went to speak to, they were the exact up as it, and it was. It was interesting. I wonder if the boys would have picked up if Kate's husband was there, for example. I don't know. I don't know, but honestly, the boys just were like it's as if they'd been taken away from the games or something that the computer gets. That's what I like. But anyway, the school girls were really engaged with there and obviously happy to be in the company of a princess. All the headlines the reason I found this story, it was all things like Kate gets sporty, Kate tries a hand at rugby, et cetera. And she was given a ball and she held it for four seconds I counted. So talk about being honest, and you.
Speaker 2: Know, well, the whole, the whole royal thing is basically just an media marcounter to promote it continually. I think, I think you're smart enough to rip.
Speaker 1: And then she got a she got a shirt from Wakey, no frame or anything, just a shirt. So if you happen to be in London and see Kate Middleton running around in a Wakefield shirt, give her a wave. So it was it was just pure I like, don't get me wrong that it's the only time I've ever watched a Royal clip on purpose and it was just hilarious. It was just it could have been nineteen sixty if it was in black and white. It was it was a.
Speaker 2: Glass There's a lot of people who'd like it to be on sixty late.
Speaker 1: True. True.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've covered some topics today, Johnny Boy. Yeah, it's supposed to stick to sport. You know, sport and politics shouldn't mix.
Speaker 1: The're the one who mentioned the shootings and my analysis video now is always a separate video. Did London Broncos this week their game against Witness and they've got some things that some opposition might have a look at quite frankly, but also I mean it was their first game of the year, so they're not going to be perfect. But basically basically, very good go forward, hard to stop in terms of momentum. A good half back with the ball in his hand on the defensive side of the ball, play to the edges and you might get some joy. It's basically what I'm saying. So all play fast and it'll might give away penalties. And I had to laugh. The commentator was calling Reagan Campbell Gillard, Regan Campbell, Gillard. It was yeah, so is it Gillard or Gillard?
Speaker 2: It's Gillard, isn't he No, it's skill had its just He also couldn't pronounce witness. What was he saying? I can't, I can't, I can't. I did watch the game. I can't remember how he said it, but he mispronounced it every time.
Speaker 1: Which kind of is it like the AI that I used to chop up our videos and says witness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he's just a Southern and he's never heard of witness.
Speaker 1: People in brad brief. People in Bradford would call it witness as well, because they call it Bradford. So all right, Johnny, I'll see you. When I see you, book will definitely be doing more content, not unless I see you first. Take care