Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media.
Speaker 2: Podcast reborn every six hundred years. In Man's reckoning of time, the gargoyles joined battle against Man to gain dominion over the earth. In each coming, the gargoyles were nearly destroyed by men, who flourished in greater numbers. Now it has been so many hundreds of years that it seems the ancient statues and paintings of gargoyles are just products of man's imagination. In this year, with man's thoughts turned toward the many ills he has brought upon himself, Man has forgotten his most ancient adversary, the Gargoyles.
Speaker 3: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 4: A giant, hairy creature.
Speaker 2: Part eight part mats in Larkness, a twenty four mile long, bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 4: It's a creature known as the lockdeest monster Mobstert.
Speaker 3: That opening was a tiny excerpt from the nineteen seventy two made for TV film Gargoyles. It's not a great movie, though lots of people have had fun watching it. I suppose it's mostly notable for its special effects work by a young artist named Stan Winston at the time I'm recording this. You can check that film out on YouTube, and I put a link to it in our show notes at monster talk dot org. This week we're taking a look at gargoyles. Now, this is tricky since primarily gargoyles are strictly speaking, a physical work of architecture. We'll talk about that during the interview. I've wanted to cover this fabulous monster, but I didn't know quite how to tackle it, what angle to take. It's shown up in films like Disney's animated adaptation of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, the aforementioned Gargoyles, and the regrettable twenty fourteen film I Frankenstein, which currently sports an overly generous four percent approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. One of my hesitancies in covering this monster, despite its widespread public recognition, was the lack of consistency in the folklore and history. There's stories which say the creatures were named after the sound of the gargoyles the water that passed through its mouth, their story saying it was named after a monstrous dragon like creature, and there's a mishmash of legends about whether gargoyles are supposed to be figures of good or figures of evil. But despite the inconsistencies and the lore, one thing I think we can agree on is that gargoyles are art. They're a feature of Gothic architecture hundreds of years old, and they served both a serious structural purpose and a glorious artistic one. Thanks to our Facebook keeper James Niland recommending our guest this week, it's time to crank up our Cradle of philth albums and get our Gothic on with some gargoyle mornstutle.
Speaker 1: So. Matthew Duman is a photographer and graphic designer who grew up in Bethany, Connecticut. He attended the Gargoyle Free Campus of Central Connecticut State University, but while studying abroad, developed a fascination with the grotesque sculptures of the cathedrals of Britain. In addition to England, Matt has made photographic trips to Italy, Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. Matt currently works in new Haven, Connecticut. He began exploring the variety of sculptures found on the buildings of Yale University and as a personal and as a personal project, has researched and documented these New World grotesques, which are closer but no less bewitching than their European counterparts. Welcome to the show, Matt, thank you very much for joining us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks, thank you.
Speaker 1: So just to begin with, what is a gargoyle? I mean, I think most of us have seen them, but if you can tell us a lot a little bit about them, I think a lot of people think that they might have a spiritual or a superstitious purpose, or is it practical you can tell us a little bit about gargoyles.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a little of both. Actually these days, in modern times, the definitions have gotten a little muddled. There is gargoyles and there are grotesques. Now, grotesque is the general, the general architectural term for any kind of sculpture on or in a building, and it's usually a person, animal, or fanciful creature. Now, a gargoyle is a specific type of grotesque. Specifically, it's the ones that channel water, so basically, and that's where the that's where the word comes from. It comes from the old French word gigwe, which is spelled g A R G U I L L E. Which refers to the throat. Now that's related to the modern word to gargoyle because it refers to water going down your throat, which is what gargoyles, which is what gargoyles function as. So basically, a gargoyle is a specific type of grotesque and it's a basically a decorative range about very decorative.
Speaker 3: Can you tell us a little bit about the styles in the forms of these these So let me just say before we get into that. I've been wanting to talk about gargoyles because culturally, you know, they fit in as a monster in modern times, and all these sort of fictional narratives like the Gargoyles cartoon they were in. There was a Frankenstein movie that came out that was kind of horrible that had gargoyles is one of the kind of creatures as sort of protections. And then there was a Stan Winston movie back in the early seventies for TV. But historically they there's not like a huge amount of lore that I could find about gargoyles coming to life, or where do they arise from or anything like that. But did you when you were looking in the research, did you find anything about the people believing that they came to life or were real, or in any way representing anything except artistics or representations of monsters.
Speaker 4: I haven't found anything with people actually believing they were real or came to life. They're really more symbolic.
Speaker 5: So maybe we could talk about that.
Speaker 3: In the they come in a lot of different styles and in your book, by the way, your book has just a ton of beautiful photography for people who can't make it to yell to look themselves. You've captured really great photographs of all these different gargoyles and grotesques throughout the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'd be a great time.
Speaker 5: Would you want to go out by a coffee table? Yes, I got coffee?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Oh sorry.
Speaker 3: So the question was, so can you talk about some of the styles and forms that these gargirls come in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, there's the basic, basic style that everybody's familiar with which the name conjures up the like the demonic, frightening imagery, and that's that's a hangover from the medieval times where gargoyls were used on like churches and cathedrals, and there were it was. They were there for a few different reasons. One of them was like the the gargoyls and grotesques were on the outside, but the but the religious imagery was kept on the inside. So it was basically saying that evil was kept outside of the church. And also also also some people said it was just to scare away evil spirits so they don't come in to the church. Also they were used in maybe a little more practical sense you have. As I said, they had religious imagery and then they had the ugly gargoyles. Well, the gargirl girls were used too to accentuate enhance the beauty of the religious imagery imagery by by comparison.
Speaker 3: So I have kind of a follow up if you don't mind the what I I've read a lot of the ghost stories of m R James, and a lot of his work talks about it's fictional, but it talks about the sort of art that is inside churches in England, and like the art that.
Speaker 5: Sits on the end of church pews.
Speaker 3: And the art that's like sort of tucked away in various places. Did you get a sense of why there is so much grotesque art within the church. I mean, it's it seems to be a counterpoints as a sort of beauty and majesty, of sort of heavenly ideas that the church talks about in some ways.
Speaker 4: Well, that brings me to my to my next style. I was going to say, the the more allegorical grotesque. Now back in mid back in the Middle Ages, most of the common person that the peasants, they were pretty much illiterate, so the church had to depend on visual imagery two make us to get us point across. So grotesques and gargoyls were used to show concepts of morality and religion because basically they couldn't depend on the peasants, all the peasants being able to read those concepts in in books like the Bible, which I think is kind of funny that Yale adopted that sort of thing, because I think most post Yale students are pretty literate.
Speaker 1: Were all of the gargoyles creatures or monsters of some kind, or were any fashioned after people or famous people in particular?
Speaker 4: There's a whole variety of garagars. The demonic imagery is just one category there were. As I said, they could demonstrate morality with different figures, or they could be maybe a statement about the city that the cathedral is located in or in modern times, which we're talking about like Yale University, the school itself, they would be at Yale, there's a lot of depictions of Yale's mascot, Handsome Dan the Bulldog, and then there's also a lot of depictions of pictions of historical events in Yale's home city of New Haven, Connecticut.
Speaker 5: So why are there so many gargoyles at yell Well.
Speaker 4: Yale is one of the schools that revived the Gothic architecture style, and this new this revival of Gothic architecture on college campuses is called collegiate Gothic. Now, this was revived during in the nineteenth century, and it was and it had its roots in trying to raise the school's stature in society and ultimately to get more money and endowments. Basically, they would make they would build buildings that associated their or their institution with the medieval universities of Europe like Oxford or Cambridge, and then they would make them look old to enhance their dignity and venerability and to make them look timeless. So basically they looked they looked old. People couldn't really say how old, but they look like they've been there a long time, and they look like they will stand for a long time. And that carried over to their attitudes towards the school itself. The school has been there and it will be there, and its ideals had been there and will be there a long time.
Speaker 1: So how did you get interested in gog oyles and how did you come to write a book about god oyles?
Speaker 4: Well, it's one of those things. It's like a hobby that just snowballed. I grew up bethany Where I grew up is a little town right north of new Haven, so I was always going into new Haven. I always knew Yale had some great buildings. I never thought too much about them, but I always assumed they were hundreds of years old. And when I started working in new Haven, I was looking for a personal project to get into. So I knew Yale had some nice buildings. So I started photographing around Yale, and I knew. I always heard Yale had sculptures on their buildings, but I assumed that it was that they were very stuffy and historical, and that's that's nice. But honestly, I wouldn't I wouldn't write a book about just that. It was when I started seeing grotesque and gargirls that were very very funny and just playing bizarre that really that it's that humor factor that really drew me in. And I started taking pictures and my hard drive started filling up. And at the time at the time, I was doing some freelance work for a for a Yale professor and we got to be good friends, and I would always complain to him that I have all these images. I don't know what to do. And so he said, well, why don't you do a book? And now he probably said it just to shut me up because I was complaining about it. But but and I said, well, I can design it, and I can have the photos. I guess I can do it. And it was a good At the time, it seemed like a good challenge. I never I never had done anything like that before. So I just started putting to the other book and it was it was a challenge, but it was a lot of It's been a lot of fun too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love the fan that you went black and white because it's sort of ads to the gothic feeling.
Speaker 4: Well, that's that's another point I wanted to make When I first when I first started taking pictures, I took them in color and I still take them in color originally, but when I was but they didn't really have the punch the effectiveness. It's only when I started playing around with them. One time I put them in black and white and I realized you could it brought out the character of the grotesque a lot more. I realized that since most of these grotesques and gargoys are not painted, their features are are dependent on, you know, the light and dark areas, and the only colors that really would show up in the photo are maybe the sky or leaves of trees, things that are not the grotesques. So basically the color was only a distraction. So I so I would convert them to black and white, and the true character of the grotesques really pops and shiny.
Speaker 3: I think it's very effective. Yeah, So can you talk a little bit about how these are made? I mean, are they sculpted or are they poured into molds? How are these actually crafted?
Speaker 4: Well, many most of the grow tests at Yale, I would say, are are are cast from molds. But Yale does have examples of many different kinds of methods that they were made. They also have ones that were sculpted from a solid piece of stone, and you can tell those by you can actually see like the veins running through the stone, so you could so you could tell that was one solid piece that they sculpted from. There's also others that were carved into into wood, and then others that were cast cast bronze or so some other metal. So so there's a there's a variety of methods that that that that you can use to actually make a gargoyle, but most of them at Yale are I think, are cast cast concrete.
Speaker 1: And were gargoyles usually designed along with the building or were they something they were added off to the fact.
Speaker 4: At Yale, I would say in most cases they were designed with the building, and depending on the the building itself, the importance of the building. Sometimes they even had like the main library called Stirling Memorial Library Yale, that's actually it's built to look like a Gothic cathedral. It even has a confessional it's actually a phone booth, but it looks like a conventional for those They actually had a committee with the architect and dignitaries from the from Yale and some of the masons and compies of many people involved in the construction that they would choose iconography to put on the building. And now other buildings maybe that were a little less important. Maybe it was up to the masons themselves or or just the architect. But but at Yale, on the whole, they were put up when the building was put up. I've been to other schools where that wasn't the case. They would actually leave blocks on the buildings, and then later, maybe fifty sixty years later, they would come and carve something.
Speaker 3: So while you were putting the book together, did you ever happened to visit during a rainstorm so you could actually hear the gargoyles at work.
Speaker 4: I never really visited during the rain. I did visit many times during the winter where you could see the where gargoyles. You could tell gargoyles from regular grotesque because they have these these long icicle goates hanging out of their mouths, and and those made for some good pictures as well.
Speaker 3: It's curious as to what they sounded like when the water was getting out of them.
Speaker 5: Well, I was wondering, Yeah, I was wondering. Well, yeah, I like garbays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was yeah, yeah, Jim, I mean everybody sees them all the time. I rarely ever see them actually spouting water in any of the photographs or you know things I see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's true, because see I tried to the reason why I was down in the wintertime a lot of times was, well, there's a lot of trees. Even though Yale's in the city, there's a lot of trees around the campus. And I found out the hard way. I started photographing in the summertime. By the end of the summer, I figured I got most of the I think I got pretty much everything or that's that's around Yale, And then the leaves came off the trees, revealing a whole lot more I never saw before. So then I realized that was pretty naive to make a statement like that. So so now I never say that I've seen everything, because it seems like there's always something more to see. And whenever I try, I tried to fot I go to photograph something, I always try to go maybe in the winter or early spring, before the leaves come on the trees, so because a lot of them can be covered with.
Speaker 3: Naive You remind me of Karen had talked about evesdroppers, which I guess is not really directly naive, but naives droppers a funny portmanteau. Anyway, do you know anything about evesdroppers, these sort of carved figures built into the eves and the English architecture.
Speaker 4: Yes, I've read about them. That was I think Henry the eighth did put those installed those when he was I think it was that Hampton Court he who was renovating Hampton Court for his purposes. And yeah, they were usually put high up, high up near the ceiling. And those are an actual form of gargoy and I think I mean a form of grotesque, I should say. And I think they were there, as the name suggests, as Eve's was to to remind the anyone, either the court or the staff of the of the palace that well, the king is always there and he's always listening, so don't don't say anything negative about the king, because it'll always get back to them. And I always think that those are a those are a form of grotesque. Now, they're a little different from your normal grotesque because well, first of all, they're they're mostly they're painted and most of the at least the ones I've seen. The details are painted on them, the eyes, the the eyebrows, things like that, And I think the painting is intentional because the people on the ground level can see them a lot better. They stand out a lot better. YEA, so they are a form of grotesque, but but they're not. Most grotestes are are not painted. Though.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I watched a good documentary on eavesdroppers in Hampton Court a few years ago, and so I just wondered if there was a relation between the two of them, And I guess it leads me to ask, as well, can you ever get gargoyles that are even though they're designed as water spouts? Can you ever get indoor ones for any reason?
Speaker 4: I guess if you were, you were somehow channeling water indoors or through inside, maybe up near the roof. I've never really seen them indoors.
Speaker 1: Mostly decorative ones that people buy for their houses or something modern ones.
Speaker 4: There are many grotesques that I've seen indoors, but not really ones, not really gargoyles that channel water. I've seen that. I haven't seen too many those.
Speaker 3: If I remember correctly, these appeared in something like the six hundreds originally something is that about? Right, Like the first time we saw gargoyles being used, it seems like they're they've kind of like coming gone in popularity.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I was curious as to why they were originally developed if I don't know, if you actually looked into that at all. I was wondering what drove them. I mean, they're they're artistic, but they're also functional. And I just don't know why they seem to have stuck around for so long. They've i mean, they've been around for such a long time to not have any particular you know, monster lore around them. I'm not really sure what the deal is there. It's sort of a really sticky meme almost.
Speaker 4: Well, as as you said, in the old days, in the in medieval times, gargoyles actually had a physical had a practical purpose to to remove water from the building to and they didn't just dump it off the side. They were kind of like spouted it away from the from the building, and that was so so the water wouldn't just pour down the side of the building and start to erode it. Now, later on, in probably maybe the fifteen sixteen hundreds, they developed down spouts and so they could remove water just down the side in a pipe. So the use of guard boyles kind of kind of faded out a bit, but then the style was revived in maybe the early eighteen hundreds because but more as a kind of a decorative affectation.
Speaker 1: Do they exist in other cultures at all? Do they just go back to the Middle Ages or they go back further than that in other countries or cultures?
Speaker 4: Well, they I've seen them on like ancient Greek temples, and they don't really They're They're a little different from the gargoyles that you and groteste that you that you imagine when people think of grotesques and gargoyls, they think of something medieval. But I've but I've seen decorative elements on ancient temples from ancient Greek, ancient Greece around so that time as well, it.
Speaker 5: Was it was it draining to do all this work taking all these photos.
Speaker 4: Well, I have to say, I mean it did it did get do you get tough? But Blake, I have to say I just kind of went with the flow nice.
Speaker 1: Well, I was thinking he was going to end the conversation at this point and scene.
Speaker 4: And to be serious, the hardest part of doing all this was I had so many pictures, and I'm not a very organized person, and the hardest part was just organized all these photos and editing them all and and choosing which ones to use. And as I like to say, yell is more grotesque than you can shake a student loan application Act. But yeah, I had to develop little organization techniques. So I knew which building these photos came from, and which part of the building, which ones were close to each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so these actually so James Neland who does our Facebook administration. He handles our Facebook group and does a great job with it. He helps keep the friendly tone of the group. And yeah, it's awesome. But he recommended the book to us, and so I guess he's he's also from Connecticut.
Speaker 5: Do you know James sir? How did you guys mean?
Speaker 4: No? He I was doing a a lecture. I do lectures at library, and I had one scheduled for Cromwell, which is the time where James James lives in and and he writes about a week before the lecture, he bought a book and I after he when when somebody buys a book, I filled the order send it out and then I send them an emails thanking them and send them the send them the tracking number. So I did that and then he replied saying that he was, you know, the administrator of this podcast, and and that's how I got how I got involved in all this.
Speaker 5: Well, that's fantastic.
Speaker 3: It really is, I think something that our listeners will really enjoy.
Speaker 5: It's just full of monsters.
Speaker 3: It's got I mean, there's so many interesting and I mean when they say the word grotesque, I think that's very accurate.
Speaker 4: Well just in general, I like that word because it's a very it's it's very it gets a very visceral, visceral reaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was just really surprised to say that some Gogoyle's humor, yes, because I always thought they were grotesque, that they were supposed to inspire fear on some level.
Speaker 4: But especially these days, there's a whole variety of different kinds. And as I said, it's the I enjoy the humorous and the bizarre ones the most, and that's what really drew me into this project.
Speaker 1: Could you tell us a little bit about maybe some of the humorous ones, or the bizarre ones, or the scary ones that you've come across researching this project.
Speaker 4: Well, there's one. It's not actually on a building, it's it's on the base of a flagpole at Yale, and it's it's called Ledgered flag staff because it's memorial to a student, a former student called Augustus Canfield Ledgered, and it's cast bronze, and it was put up by his by his his friends now as Campfield Ledgard. He graduated from Yale in eighteen ninety eight, and then in eighteen ninety nine he was killed in the Spanish American War. And then about ten years later, well, in nineteen oh eight, his his friends, his Yale friends, put this memorial to him, and it has this really, really well grotesque face on it. And I was wondering after I read the story, I kept wondering, like, why would his classmates put such an ugly face at the base of their memorial to him? And then I was thinking about a while, and then I'm like, well, you know, Ledyard died tragically and much too early, so I think there was a lot of intent behind it, because you know, even on this campus of learning and architectural beauty, this ugly face serves as a shocking reminder of our own mortality and basically not to take life for granted.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at the picture because it's like on page ninety one of your book, is that is that?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 3: Pan? I'm not really sure what that represents exactly.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of people said it's it's bacchus.
Speaker 5: Oh could be?
Speaker 4: Could be because he has all these all these like fruits around him.
Speaker 5: Ah yeah, yeah, because I was.
Speaker 4: I was looking at it and it looks, well, it looks pretty grotesque, and it's over one hundred years old, and I was thinking, well, you could take off all that tarnish and it's still pretty darn ugly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even when it was new, it was probably ugly.
Speaker 3: We've talked about the popularity of gargoyles over the ages have risen and fallen, but it seems that a lot of the really old looking parts, the sort of artistic throwback, are not actually that old. Can you talk a little bit about how the gargoyles have come and gone over the history of the college.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll start this off with a little anecdote. A few years ago I was watching a documentary of Windsor Castle in England, and it was they were in. They were interviewing some of the staff. Now Windsor Castle, it's near Heathrow Airport, so almost all the time there's always passenger jets coming and going above the castle. And they were interviewing this guide and he said one time he was he was showing who was taking around a group of Americans. He made sure to state they were Americans, and one of the Americans was asking him, he said, why why would they build the castle so close to the airport?
Speaker 1: Sounds like an American?
Speaker 4: Yeah, nice, And I didn't do that in my American accent.
Speaker 1: But you were wearing a baseball cap.
Speaker 4: Turned around behind it, turned around behind it, so basically, and that's just to show that the Americans have a much different perspective on the age of things than Europeans. We see something that's, you know, two hundred years old, and we think, wow, that that's pretty old. Well, over there they have buildings from the Middle Ages. They have Roman ruins which are a whole hell of a lot older than two hundred years. As I said before, one of the basic goals of collegiate Gothic architecture was to associate the the institutions in America with the older institutions in Europe like Oxford and Cambridge, and because they wanted to seem timeless and venerable. And I always it always made me laugh because I was thinking, you look at these buildings like, wow, they're pretty old. But then if you really take it literally, like do I really think that you know, a group of a group of masons over here in the Middle Ages and built these buildings in like Chicago and all in New Haven and and all all these different places around the country. Of course not you know it's but but but still they go through great lengths to make you think they're a lot old. They're a lot older than they actually are. Now.
Speaker 3: It's kind of effected though, And it's interesting because I think you can kind of pull it off with with gargoyles and the sort of sculptural elements. But if you were to put say a stone pyramid up, nobody's going to buy that.
Speaker 5: It's not going to seem ancient, right.
Speaker 1: You know, except for yeah, different, I would have to say that two hundred years is old when Australia, anything in anything that's one hundred years old is old in Australia.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Now there are also building. Now, those a lot of buildings that were built at that were supposed that were the style, the Collegiate Gothic style added Zenith probably about the late twenties early thirties were built around that time. At Yale, though, you go in there and you see these buildings that were that are about, you know, eighty ninety years old. Then between them there's this little pavilion that's that's a big stone structure, looks just like the other ones, and it looks very old. But then if you look closely, you'll notice that on the on the cornerstone, it says two thousand and seven.
Speaker 1: Nuts.
Speaker 4: See it's it's that kind of like little trickery that makes me that makes me view Yale less as a community and more as like a theme park.
Speaker 1: Do they are they still adding to the collection of gog oyles at Yale? Is it just something finished with that that aspect of architecture or do they ever get damage? Do they replace them with new works? Is that there any changes or are they mostly fixed Up?
Speaker 4: Until a few years ago, I would have said, well, no, this the Collegiate Gothic style kind of petered out at the end of the nineteen thirties and then modernism took over and now there's all modern buildings and all different styles. But just last fall, Yale finished two new residential colleges, both in the Collegiate Gothic style with grotesques and gargoyles. Now, the interesting thing about these is these were made in the past few years, so again they looked pretty old, but some of them are very modern in their concept and themes, Like there's actually one of an iPhone. Really cool and that's what I that's what I like as well. They kind of anachronistic feel of it as well.
Speaker 1: That's fun.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to figure out how that would work for having a spout.
Speaker 4: Uh, well, that phone wasn't actual, that was a grotesque. They have gargoyles of Handsome Dan the bulldog with water coming out of his mouth. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So speaking of which, so you've got these they sort of like, uh, it's a couple of hundred years of history there, do they have a like?
Speaker 5: Is it possible to id the sculptors who crafted these?
Speaker 4: I really I really went in and researched and research, and I couldn't find too many names of the actual sculptors themselves. I did come up with a few names people who directed the the the proof production of the sculptures. They were Renee Chambalan, who was a who was an architectural sculptor. He did work in New York and Chicago as well. Now it said he was in charge of the sculpt the sculpture for Sterling Memorial Library. Now that doesn't mean he did all of the sculpture. I envisioned him working with the group of sculptors and masons and he would and he would be directing them as to what to what his vision was. But it's there's really as far as I found, there's very few records of individual masons and sculptors who worked on the buildings.
Speaker 3: Did you find any sense of a sort of Dan Brown level hidden mystery or meaning in any of the symbology.
Speaker 4: Well, there are. There's another type of grotesque that I like to call reclusive grow tesques, and they're basically grow tests that are kind of hidden. Now you think that you know, they spend money putting these, and they spend a lot of work, but producing the sculpture and putting it on the building, you think they want people to see it. Well, and then some of them are hidden, Like there's one on the Hall of Graduate Studies. They have these at the front entrance, they have these arches, and between the arches they have these and these niches, little alcoves that have a little decorated canopy on top, and those are empty, and but if you're really particularly curious, you can look up. You can kind of go really close and look up under the canopy and see this little face sticking his tongue out as you And I like that because I because you know, that wasn't for everybody to see, right, And like there's also in the library, just a corner with decorative work on it, but if you look up under underneath, there's a spider, but it's way up underneath, so it's not for general view. And as again as I was wondering why they would, why why would people go through the trouble to sculpt something which many people, you know, don't even see, And then I realized, Then I realized, well what am I doing? If I think when people actually look closely and see these, it inspires them to look closer at all the stone work and enhances the overall experience for them. I mean, something which I can can personally attest.
Speaker 5: Like Easter eggs.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, Yeah, I've heard of Disneyland that they have those hidden mickeys they're supposed to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what That's what I say, much like the hidden mickeys of the Disney theme parks. I'm a big fit. I'm a big fan of the Disney theme parks, like the imagineering and things that go into the behind the scenes. And I've seen a lot of relation between that the building of the Disney theme parks and the designing and building of a college campus.
Speaker 1: Interesting. It's very intricate.
Speaker 4: Yes, there's a lot of there's a lot of thought that goes into it.
Speaker 3: So you know, this topic is a little different from a lot of the monsters we've covered on the show in that I again, like we talked about, I don't feel like there was a huge I don't think there's a lore around the existence of gargoyles as real monsters, but as.
Speaker 5: An artistic feature.
Speaker 3: You know, they're all over the place, and they're they're gorgeous and interesting and I highly recommend the book. So if people want to get the book, uh, do you want to send them the Amazon or is it better to have him come to your web page or how what's the best way for our listeners to get a hold of this fascinating Well.
Speaker 4: It's available on Amazon, but it's also all available on my website as well. You probably get a little cheaper on on my website, which is www dot yalgogoyles dot com.
Speaker 1: Nice, okay, cool, So forgive me if we've already discussed this, But just how many goggoyles all there at Yale?
Speaker 4: I get this question so many times and I could only estimate many hundreds, is all I can is the most specific I can be, because I'm still finding I'm still finding new ones. And yeah, I've gotten to the habit of every time I go down there, looking around every little corner and nook and cranny, and sometimes you don't find anything. Other times you find all sorts of things that you never knew were there. That's what That's what really drew me in at the beginning, because as I said, I was familiar with the university from when I was a small child. It's just but now, when I when I started discovering all these creatures on the buildings, it gave me a whole new perspective. I would go down streets that I've been down many times in my life, but now I was seeing all these things that I've never seen before. So it gave me a new perspective on a familiar place.
Speaker 1: It sounds like the potential for a sequel or maybe to even just photograph the gargirls and different seasons. I think a book on each season.
Speaker 4: Well, that book came out, The Education and the Grotesque came out a few years ago. And since then, as I said, Yale opened up two new residential colleges. So I was there at the Gates Is on move in day when they when they opened it to students, and so I photographed them. Plus I've been to nine other university campuses like Duke and Princeton and University of Chicago and City College of New York. And that's what I'm putting together for That's what the book I'm working on now. It's called The Grotesque ten.
Speaker 1: Oh great, we'll have yeah, we'll have to have you back on to talk about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So when you were cataloging these what was the scariest imagery that you saw.
Speaker 4: Well, there's one at Trumbull College. Now it was for everybody likes it because it fits everybody's vision of a true grotesque or it's not really gargoyle, but that's what people think that that's what people call it. It's it's this lizard like demon with this with a ridge of spines on his back. And the reason why it's kind of scary was at first it was kind of far away and I had to stand on a bench with a big, big telephoto lens to see it. And I noticed it was holding a crown. And then I look closer and I see something streaming out of the crown, like is that hair? Is there a Is there a head in that crown? I couldn't see an actual head, and the only and the thing is, since it's far away and over the over the rooftops, I couldn't really see it from from many other angles. So I really don't know if there's an actual head in that crown, but it looks like there is.
Speaker 5: I mean there.
Speaker 3: You've got so many images in the book, and so many of them are just I guess it's a combination of grotesque and gorgeous.
Speaker 5: It's really really neat.
Speaker 4: Well, I tried to. I liked when they were close so I could really experiment with wide angle lenses and getting a you know, different angles on something, maybe from below or just I don't. I like just just seeing what I could do. And because I lived close to campus, I could always take a few pictures, go back home and look at them, and if they weren't right, come back and take them again and try something different.
Speaker 1: So does Yale offer any gargoyle tours or is this something that you've ever thought about offering.
Speaker 4: Actually I do offer that I do. I do gargoyle tours. I call them grotesque safaris to see gargoyles in their natural habitat. And I actually wear somebody gave me a photographer's vest years ago. I've never actually warned it to go photographing, just in my closet. And then I realized, well I could wear that. I can get some cargo pants, and then I bought a pit helmet online. So I go around, I meet I meet people down at old campus part of Yale, and I take them around. And now it's it's fun to wear that whole get up. But then I kind of realized there's a practical purpose as well, because this is in the middle of a city, and a lot of times there's a lot of students or just people milling around, so you have when you're on the tour, you have to know who to follow. The person the guide has to has to stand out in the crowd, and that helps me stand out. And people did so people.
Speaker 5: Did you have anys?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I have a little a sign that I made on the back of the of the vest that says the gargoyle Guide. Nice.
Speaker 1: So you get people coming up and asking you about the two of us. Yes, yeah, it's a great idea.
Speaker 4: I think after a tour I was walking across the World campus and one of the groundskeepers was like, Hey, the gargoyle guy. He's all yelling.
Speaker 1: You're famous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, apparently.
Speaker 5: That's so cool. It really is, Yes, symmetry, Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 6: Oh it is.
Speaker 1: It's just incredible. It's beautiful. And I've always loved gargoyles, being fascinated by them. So it's this is great that we're finally getting around to talking about.
Speaker 3: I have to say, I mean, it really is an effective means of making things look old. I mean, the whole idea of gargoyles, and we have this sort of cultural attachment to it as being a sort of medieval architectural feature, and just by slapping it onto buildings within the past couple of hundred years, it really does make them seem ancient.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, the Gothic style is a lot of features like you know, spires and wrought iron gates and all that is to make it make it old.
Speaker 5: Clothes, cigarettes and well that too.
Speaker 4: But the gargoyles have a little bit of an advantage because not only do they make it look old, they can actually convey a message. So they basically they can, as I like to say that the buildings can can wear their identity on their sleeves, like they could actually send literal messages instead of just implying a vague a vague notion of old of age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I still think a couple of hundred years as old.
Speaker 4: Well, well it is. Now on on this topic, there's one architect who went to Yale and he designed a lot of the buildings the Gothic that celebrated Gothic buildings of Yale, the library and the law school. His name is James Gambell Rogers. Now there's a lot of stories about him. There's one one that when he fit when he was building one building, a lot of these buildings have like slate roobs. Well, he saw the slates before he put them up, and he didn't like them because they were too new looking. They were right out of the factory. So the story goes that he had him buried in Long Island Sound for about eight months, and then after he dug them up again, they were nicely old aged and pitted and discolored, so then they looked they looked, you know, a couple hundred years old. Then he had them put up. There's another story about him. Uh, there's what. There's a bell tower in the center of campus called Harkness Towers, built in nineteen twenty one. The story that and he designed that as well and has it has a lot of sculpture on it and all when he and the story goes, and I'm not I can't say I completely but these are just stories that get embellished over the years. And I can't say I totally believe this, but it's a good story. When they finished the town, it was the tallest free standing stone structure in North America in nineteen twenty one. Well, but he wasn't satisfied with it because it looked too new. Well, obviously it just they just finished construction. So the story goes that he had acid poured down the sides to age the building. And the thing was that not only did age the building, it weakened the structure enough that they had to put steel supports on the inside to hold it up, so it was no longer the tallest free standing stone structure. Now, the reason why I had my doubts that story because that would take a lot of acid. That the tower is over two hundred feet tall, and it would take a lot of acid to cover that whole building. And the stories have him sneaking up to the top of the tower at night and pouring a flask of acid down the side. Now, but as I say, it's I'm not sure if it's actually true, but it's a good story.
Speaker 1: Nonetheless, Sure there's a lot of acid at Yale anyway. Well, because it reminds me of just a lot of the tourist scams overseas when people think that they're buying antiques and they're really just modern sculptures and various objects that have been aged or made to look old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a rich history and aging artifacts like soaking papers and tea and various other things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Well, there are quite a few of kind of aging techniques like that that that James Gamble, Rodgers and other architects used. One is when they sometimes you'll notice some of the stairs have a little kind of depression in the middle of the tread, and a lot of times sometimes they were actually molded that way. It's supposed to look like it's been worn down there.
Speaker 5: Hundred cheating is with.
Speaker 4: Also there's also things like you'll see a row of windows and then one window, one window of that set is all blocked up. But if you look closely, you'll notice that the blocks that block up the window are the same blocks that it's used in the surrounding wall, and only that they're aged the same, they're worn the same amount, which means they were put there at construction, so it was built with that one window blocked up. And I've mentioned before those niches, the empty niche, that's another device they used. They're at the front of the Stirling Moor Library. I counted there twenty two of those niches. Only one has a sculpture in it. The others are empty. Now it looks like the perfect place for a tall statute has a it's a little alcove and it has a has a flat base bottom. Well, you're supposed to assume that when the building was originally constructed quote unquote hundreds of years ago, you're supposed to assume that they all had sculpture in them. But over the long of the building's long and colorful history, those sculptures were either stolen or destroyed or or in one one removed in one way or another. So that's another way to make you, just make you assume that the building is older than it actually is. That's a grotesque pun for you.
Speaker 5: Okay, you've got my attention.
Speaker 4: Well, at one of the side entrances to the library, there's a lamp and right above the lamp is a is a beetle, a beetle sculpted in the in the in the concrete, and also on either side is the beatles larvae. I don't know what the actual scientific name of this beetle in its library is, but a new know do know that the common name for its larvae is the bookworm.
Speaker 5: Nice? Yeah, yeah, yeah, so that's pretty clever.
Speaker 4: So what, as I said, I was drawn in by the by the humor in these Yeah. Yeah, it's not just not just that they're it's it makes it fun to look at. I think it's kind of incredible that you can connect with someone, i e. The makers, the sculptors of these you can connect with them on a personal and emotional level over a gulf of you know, sixty seventy eighty ninety years. And it's more than just writing some writing some factual information on the wall. Yeah, it's actually connecting on an emotional and personal level, which I think is amazing.
Speaker 3: When when you've got to actually commit your pun into stonework, that's a that's a serious commitment.
Speaker 4: You gotta be serious about.
Speaker 1: I can see you doing that. Put a lot of attention to detail.
Speaker 2: It is, it is.
Speaker 5: That's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Well, Matt, we have a final question that we like to ask our guests, and that is what's your favorite monster?
Speaker 4: Well, I have to go old school with this and say the Lockness monster.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 4: Now, I've always loved water monsters, and I visited Lockness and I always thought it was and when it was there, I always thought it was incredible that there really isn't any solid proof of the existence of a monster. But but it's a it's a multi million dollar industry, the tourism.
Speaker 1: I didn't say anything.
Speaker 4: People are drawn there. And now that having been said, I also have a soft spot for Frankenstein because because who could resist a monster in a sports jacket?
Speaker 5: Well there is that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nice, that's fantastic. Well, Matthew, I really appreciate you taking the time to talk to us today.
Speaker 5: This was fantastic.
Speaker 3: Your book is beautiful. We'll put a link to it in the show notes. And you've mentioned the r L but you can mention it again.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's www dot Yale Gargoyles dot com. Great and uh we.
Speaker 1: Need a picture of him and his pit helmet for the Yeah, if.
Speaker 4: You if you can see you want me to say I have I have one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Senators will put it in the show this that'd be great. And thanks again James for making the recommendation. This was a really fun talk.
Speaker 1: Are you making him blush?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: It's a beautiful book and I really uh, I look forward to buying a coffee table so I can share it with my friends.
Speaker 5: So I'll have to get Tai Kia all right, all right, thank you both, Yeah, and have a good evening. And Karen, thank you for joining us as well.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you so much. Thank you, matt.
Speaker 3: Oh you've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 5: You just heard an.
Speaker 3: Interview with Matthew Duman about his book, An Education in the Grotesque, The Gargoyles of Yale University. A link to his book is in the show notes at monster talk dot org. Please stay tuned to monster Trak for some really fun upcoming topics. We've got Megaladon's Mothman, some more magic, and even some Bigfoot coming back. Monster Talks an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The opinions expressed on the show are those of myself and my guests and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Skeptic Magazine are the Skeptic Society. We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org, forge slash support. That's monster talk dot org, Forge slash support there. We have links to our Patreon pages as well as a donation button. A great way to support the show is to buy us books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love usbooks very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love Kindle and we can share our digital library with each other. Finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find new listeners. And please share our show on your favorite social media platforms. Monster Talk theme music's by Pete Stealing Monkeys. Thanks again for listening.
Speaker 6: I want to stay abreast of the latest from Skeptic magazine and the Skeptic Society. Want cutting edge skeptical articles delivered straight to your inbox every week, then subscribe to E Skeptic, the free electronic newsletter of the Skeptic Society. Visit Skeptic dot com to sign up.
Speaker 5: So we always start by reading bios, So there you go.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm going to say.
Speaker 5: That we always start by reading.
Speaker 4: Really I didn't. It wasn't where.
Speaker 5: It's surprising to everyone, including me,