Speaker 1: Now once again it's time to keep that weekly appointment with our good friend and host, doctor Whitson good evening.
Speaker 2: Actawaite, good evening, mister Bell, as usually your punctual to.
Speaker 3: The minute, draw up your chair and make you so comfortable.
Speaker 4: Thank you person.
Speaker 1: I see that you have the old black tin dispatch box out again, Acta Watson. I did use that you were going over your notes on tonight's.
Speaker 2: Cave element boy, and among the records I came across some notes of cases that I'd almost forgotten.
Speaker 4: The shocking death of crosbi Is a banker, the Addulton tragedy.
Speaker 2: And some daughta on the unusual contents of the ancient British barrel.
Speaker 1: Those stories sound pretty intriguing, acawatsin I.
Speaker 4: Shall pipe some other evening, mister Bell.
Speaker 2: Tonight, I'm going to recount an adventure that took place in the heart of the beautiful English countryside. I call it the adventure of the tolling Bell well Let's story again in the small country vilege of Carnforth. Holmes had recently brought to a successful conclusion affair of the barrow in furnace wheel chair murders, and we decided that a few days rest in nearby Carnforth would do us both good before returning to.
Speaker 3: Our arduous life in Baker Street.
Speaker 2: We were staying at a small but comfortable inn. Early on the morning of the third day.
Speaker 4: I remember Holmes and I were.
Speaker 2: In our bedroom waiting for those two essentials without which an English country gentleman could not start his day, the early morning cup of tea.
Speaker 4: And a jug of hot water for shaving.
Speaker 2: As we sat there at the open window, a nearby church bell was tolling a funeral knell.
Speaker 4: There must be a funeral in the village home.
Speaker 1: An astonishing deduction water.
Speaker 4: No need to make fun of me dressing.
Speaker 1: So I suppose, so heserto o Curtie Watson that the history of bells is full of romantic interests.
Speaker 4: I can't thought much about it.
Speaker 1: Almost every historical event has been accompanied by the sound of bells. They summoned soldiers to arms as well as Christians to church. They sounded their alarm and fired two mountain invasions, and many a bloody chapter in history has been rung in an outside there.
Speaker 3: You seem to be a mine of information on the subject.
Speaker 1: Yes, Watson, it's a fascinating subject, Come in, come in, good morning, my dear.
Speaker 5: I brought you to your shading water.
Speaker 2: Missus Nickers said to say.
Speaker 5: Your breakfast to be ready enough.
Speaker 1: Now spend it marry in, Oh Mary, the church bell is tolding a funeral nil. Do you know who's being buried?
Speaker 6: Said I do so. I wish it was me?
Speaker 4: Never little thing. Well, what's the matter with her?
Speaker 3: I have no idea.
Speaker 4: Perhaps father or mother just died, or a young man. Yes, I bet that's it. She's a pretty girl. She'd obviously been crying when she came in. Pers that's her fuel set. They're burying now and Onston.
Speaker 1: You have the sentimental imagination of the true storyteller. But we've come here for holiday. You must give your imagination a rest, too, So drink your tea, remove your whiskers, and we'll go downstairs and investigate those kippers.
Speaker 6: You like jeshippers, gentlemen.
Speaker 4: Excellent, Missus mcholl, excellent, you're even better.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, by the way, Missus mckoll, we heard the funeral bell tolding earlier on Do you know who was being buried?
Speaker 2: As I do?
Speaker 6: Two souls are being buried, and the one of them was a murderer.
Speaker 4: A murderer lord, this peaceful village.
Speaker 1: What happened Missus Nickoll?
Speaker 7: Fear All thread Gold, the corn merchant and I his wife had been gallivanting around with a young fellow from Bolton cut her throat he did, and annunged himself.
Speaker 6: Marty.
Speaker 2: Thank you got The peaceful countryside is not as peaceful as it's.
Speaker 1: Made up to the home, a fact that I've frequently had occasion to point out to you. Watson has the morning post to write yet Missus Nickoll, here.
Speaker 6: Comes Olgilli the path. But it now I'll see if you got anything for you?
Speaker 3: Murder?
Speaker 4: Would you make him with homes?
Speaker 1: What is there to make it?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 1: Watson, a jealous husband murders a faithless wife and then commits suicide. A tragic story, but a simple one.
Speaker 3: Top of the morning to you, gentlemen.
Speaker 1: The morning, Gillian. Any letters from me today are.
Speaker 3: Miss Elms two letters.
Speaker 8: One of them's got some newspaper clippings in it, I think.
Speaker 1: And you've got a post call from a mister Lestrad.
Speaker 3: He wants you back in London bed.
Speaker 1: Mister Holmes, here.
Speaker 4: You upon my soul, Gilly. You've been reading mister Holmes's private correspondents.
Speaker 1: Bless your lord, Dr Watson. If I didn't read other people's correspondents, how would I know what's going on in the village. You were right, Gillian, it is newspaper clippings. By the way, you heard about the murder of missus Tredgold. I suppose heard about it.
Speaker 4: I told the bell this morning at the funeral. You'd have said that you're the bell ringer as well as a postman.
Speaker 8: Bless your half, yes, doctor president of the Cooral Society too, as well as big.
Speaker 1: On the parish council. You're a busy man, gillim that I am, sir.
Speaker 3: Take this afternoon.
Speaker 1: Now I'm to ring.
Speaker 8: Those bells agaate, not another funeral, no, sir, A wedding this time. Heard young same pierin is marrying the Slater girl. And you might say I'm responsible for bringing them together. Got some of their letters mixed up? I did, and they looked each other up to exchange.
Speaker 1: Them, and they pressed over.
Speaker 3: Before you know what's happening.
Speaker 8: They're getting married regular cupid, you might say, I am.
Speaker 7: They are with your other people want their letters. Mister Olmes doesn't want to skippers spoil but your an idle chatter.
Speaker 3: All right, missus crave apples and vinegar.
Speaker 8: One of these fine days you'll smile and the world will come to an end.
Speaker 3: Good day, gentlemen.
Speaker 7: Talkative, old busybuddy is oh, mister Olmes, Missus Lacklan's in the old The poor old lady is most anxious.
Speaker 1: To talk to you, Missus Lacklan.
Speaker 6: She has the simster shop.
Speaker 7: In the Eye Street, her only son and not away from home a few months back. I think that's what she wants to speak to you, Am.
Speaker 4: I would go my friends here for a risk, Missus mill.
Speaker 7: I told her that, doctor, but you won't go away without seeing mister Holmes.
Speaker 1: Oh very well, ask it to come in please, missus Michall, yes, oh, I do you bother to see her home?
Speaker 4: Sounds like a crivial matter.
Speaker 1: The disappearance of an only son could never be a trivial matter.
Speaker 4: And I'm approval for you, not for her.
Speaker 6: This is mister g Holmes and doctor Watson. Dear, thanks Jermy, Good morning, Sep, good morning morning.
Speaker 1: Please sit down, Missus Ecklan. That's it now, what's the trouble.
Speaker 9: It's Tom, sir, the only son he left me four months ago, and I've not seen her in a ride of him since.
Speaker 1: You've had no message from him since he left, not one word.
Speaker 4: I feared out of my mind.
Speaker 2: Sir, you any idea of his reason for leaving the village, Missus acra nunswir.
Speaker 5: He was a good boy and who worked hard, and he didn't fool around with those flippity give girls in the village.
Speaker 9: I sneak he's met with foulply gentlemen, and I want you to find out about informing mister Holmes. I'll i'll sigh in the village that you're the greatest detective in England.
Speaker 1: Missus Lackland. I'd be glad to help you, but you give me no clues to work with. I'm afraid that the.
Speaker 9: Money you want I got twenty pounds in the post savings.
Speaker 1: It's all yours if.
Speaker 5: You can bring my Tommy home to me, but at least tell me your.
Speaker 1: Safe Missus Lackland. I wouldn't dream of accepting a fee. However, I shall give your problem some thought. If I arrive at any conclusions, I'll get in touch with you at once.
Speaker 3: God bless you, mister Holmes.
Speaker 4: Good morning to yourself.
Speaker 1: Good day morning, oh thing. I don't see how you can help her, Homes, nor do I at the moment. But a young man who has grown up in a small village like this may have led a life that his mother is totally unaware of. Who said that you had to work on one of your stories today?
Speaker 2: Years I had a letter from the editor the Strand magazine, yes to requesting a manuscript as soon as possible, splendid.
Speaker 1: Then you stay at the inn and work on your latest masterpiece while I scar the village to see what may be found out about the missing young man.
Speaker 3: Well, there you are, Homes. I was beginning to think you'd got lost, fellow.
Speaker 1: I trust you had a profitable session with pen and paper, and I've done.
Speaker 3: About half a chapter.
Speaker 4: I would have done more if it hadn't been for those infernal.
Speaker 1: Belt and the wedding ceremony that the weather gilleas told us about this morning, I'm tired.
Speaker 10: Oh well, what did you find out about missus Lachlan's son, Among other things, that he had a secret love light unknown to his mother, and the object of his affections was none other than the maid who brought us our tea.
Speaker 1: This morning is a talk to No, it's a half day off and I was unable to find her. Hi an actual question when she brings outia tomorrow morning, Come in, Marian, Oh missus Michael, Good.
Speaker 6: Morning, gentlemen. Here's your tea in shaving water.
Speaker 1: Where's Mary this morning?
Speaker 6: She didn't come to work. Must be yell again.
Speaker 7: Unreliable girl and no better than she ought to be if you ask me, it's no job for me to be carrying tea and not water.
Speaker 1: Upstairs, I hear the village bell tolling for another funeral? Does can't forth have a burial every morning? I really don't see how the population can run to it.
Speaker 7: It's another suicide, sir, another suicide. Good Lord Old John Larabie, the baker. He was expected some money from his son in Australia. It never came, and they saw clothes down his shop and the YOUNGI will you be wanting a couple of oiled eggs your breakfast?
Speaker 6: Gentlemen?
Speaker 4: No, I haven't much of a lapt and thank you. Yes, that woman seems absolutely heartless. She almo smacks her lips.
Speaker 1: When she tells us about these tragedy. Yes, Watson, I noticed it. This peaceful village is beginning to seem strangely sinister to me. And since you have no appetite for breakfast, perhaps you'll join me in a little excursion as soon as your dress. Of course. Where are we going to see the maid Mary? I'm anxious to talk to her before another funeral belt begins to toll.
Speaker 2: Christ must be the cottage homes they said it was the one with Hannah Sucker over the gate.
Speaker 1: Yes, and there's Mary sitting on the plot.
Speaker 4: She got up. She's coming, She's coming up the path to meet us.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Mary, I'm sorry you're not feeling well.
Speaker 5: To what wh will you come here? I'll ask about mayas what should the servant girl matter?
Speaker 1: The gentleman?
Speaker 5: Not you?
Speaker 4: Oh, you misjudges, my dear, I assure you know Watson.
Speaker 1: Let's be honest and admit we didn't come here because of our concern for Mary's health.
Speaker 5: And what did you come here?
Speaker 4: Sir?
Speaker 1: Missus Lackland asked me to try and find her son, Tom. Yes, Tom Latland, I thought you might be able to help me. Marian could help you.
Speaker 5: Mister Romes, I'll be open yourself too.
Speaker 1: Come, Ginny.
Speaker 5: Guiney can is there a letter for me to die.
Speaker 3: No Lea, there's nothing for you again.
Speaker 8: There must be, must be there, no LUs If the letter would come, I'd bring it to you as fast as my legs would carry me. You know that morning, mister Holmes, Dr Watson left some letters at the inn for you.
Speaker 4: Doctor.
Speaker 1: You had a letter from a lady.
Speaker 8: Reeked with the smell of vial as it did, And it was written in greeting Conravee.
Speaker 4: Amazing deduction.
Speaker 1: That sounds like your young friend from days.
Speaker 3: How did you know about well?
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't have a young friend from Daily's.
Speaker 1: What's quite gilly? You told another funeral Delta Dayton to him.
Speaker 8: Ay sir, And the tragic thing it was, feature might call it Oldlarrabie angry self because he didn't get money from his son in Australia.
Speaker 1: I found him mighty. I was the one to cut him down.
Speaker 8: And write in this post beg was the letter he was waiting for, the letter that have saved his life.
Speaker 4: God, what a gossip piece of iron that it was.
Speaker 8: Bet it was Well, gentlemen, I'll be on the way, good day, good day.
Speaker 1: Perhaps that letter will arrived tomorrow.
Speaker 5: I'll never even Tom, he's ashamed.
Speaker 1: That's why he deserted me, deserted to marry. You speak almost as if you were his wife. I am miss what what?
Speaker 5: We were married secretly and notched dear five months ago, come Tuesday, And.
Speaker 1: He never told his mother, did you?
Speaker 5: She thought I was beneath him. Tom said, he go and get a good job and then return here. Fetch me back with him.
Speaker 3: We went awhile right, but he never.
Speaker 1: Came back sickly when he left. Did he give no clues to his destination? No hint of any kind. Mary.
Speaker 5: Well, we did want to say, Mary, I'm going to clear out to this puddle and make my fortune, even if I have to bury it, And then said bury me fortune. That's a joke, isn't it do.
Speaker 1: I don't know what he meant by I think I do, Mary Watson. We're taking a short train journey as soon as possible.
Speaker 4: Oh where are we going?
Speaker 2: Asked?
Speaker 1: We're going to the town of Bury in search of this young lady's husband.
Speaker 5: What makes you think Tom might be? And very mister Owns.
Speaker 1: Regards the famous fortune caught, And it would seem possible that when your husband joked of burying his fortune, he was talking of going to the mills there.
Speaker 5: Wherever it is gone, they won't be coming beck to me.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, no no, don't talk like that. But dear, remember you have friends. Missus Lachlin, Oh how much long as home's going to be?
Speaker 2: Leaves me standing outside the factory gates if I were plastic coach.
Speaker 4: Now there he is home.
Speaker 1: Hellow Watson, permit me to introduce you to mister Tom lapland don missus doctor Watson. How do you know, doctor Watson?
Speaker 4: How do you do?
Speaker 3: Never mind how I do, young fellow, the lad how do you do?
Speaker 4: Your behavior has been absolutely shocking shocking?
Speaker 1: Now what are you talking?
Speaker 2: Leaving your dear old mother and deserting your pretidical bride because you're a shamed of her.
Speaker 3: You're a scoundrel, sir.
Speaker 4: You just have a good hossware thing and I have a good mind to give it to you.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you're talking about, doctor Watson, but I don't like the words you use. And if it's violence you want, I don't mind telling you. I'm amateur cha heavyweight champion of the county. You are Oh no, need to become aggressive more none, Let's waste time on being at Criminius. Watson, let's get back to the station as fast as we can. The return of the prodigal is long overdue. We must give them every opportunity to kill the fetid car. Hi, there's Mary's us. I'm dying to see you, and after this reunion time, I suggest that you both go over and see your mother. I'm sure she'll forgive you. Yes, mister Rownes, I'll do them to wander.
Speaker 4: Your sudden appears may be something of a shock.
Speaker 1: I think it's a shock that Mary can handle. Must be out doors locked knock again.
Speaker 4: If you don't mind, she gon be a sleep. Great heavens, that's a revolver shot.
Speaker 1: Come on, Watson, help me break in the door now, Doctor Watton, that was a fine place to break off your story. You left me right on the edge of a cliff. Had the young girl shut herself?
Speaker 2: She shot at herself, mister Bell, but fortunately a last minute lack of courage it made her shot go wild.
Speaker 4: Holmes and I and the young.
Speaker 3: Bridegroom verse into the house and wrested the smoking revolver from her hand.
Speaker 4: I must confess that the union between the two.
Speaker 3: Young lovers is a touching sight.
Speaker 2: In fact, I felt considerably older than I was as Holmes and I stood there listening to Tom reassured.
Speaker 1: Mary Darling, it's all right. I'm here.
Speaker 5: Who told you? Are you did come back to me? I thought you never would try to kill myself?
Speaker 1: But there there, Mary, Everything's going to be all right. Now you will be.
Speaker 5: Obsoute time.
Speaker 1: And now Tom, I think the time has come to reassure Mary that you did write to her. Now. Of course I did, Mary Darling, and I sent your money and told you that i'd be back here to take it very as soon as I'd saved up enough. You wrote to me too, twice a week when I wrote to mother too.
Speaker 5: Then what I did not get the letters?
Speaker 1: And the answer to that should be obvious, My dear Billy, the postman deliberately withheld them from you.
Speaker 4: Quite helped why.
Speaker 3: I have my.
Speaker 1: Suspicions, strong suspicions, but I have to get proof. Tell me Mary. The day before yesterday, mister Frettgold murdered his wife. Do you know how he learned of her infidelity?
Speaker 5: I'm not sure, but for bid.
Speaker 1: Dear missus.
Speaker 5: Nicker said that it was through some letters that got mixed up the letters addressed to her but.
Speaker 1: Delivered to of G again precisely. Surely the whole terrible Captain begins to take shape. Tom Yes, mister d I'm going to lay a trap to spring it. I shall need your assistance, of course, mister Roone's will do anything. Wait here with mir until darkness falls. Then muffle yourselves up and go to your mother's house. Wait there in hiding, and let no outsiders see you until you hear from me.
Speaker 4: Since you two love.
Speaker 2: Birds have been separated for four months, I don't imagine that will be too hundred pleasant.
Speaker 1: Quiet Watson, you understand, Tom Yes, good and come on, Watson, watch your plan, homes I'll tell you as we go. One thing I can promise you, before the sun is very high tomorrow, I shall free this village from one of the most subtly evil powers I've ever come in contact with.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Good morning, missus mccodning.
Speaker 7: I always said that Mary was an O good girl, and now she's killed us A But of course I had to come to wealth here.
Speaker 4: It's got a charge on missus mc I must say.
Speaker 2: In any case, The vicar says that the poor girl was of unsound.
Speaker 1: Mine, Yes, madam, you can't blame her.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll be getting into the church homes as fast is beginning to get on my nerves.
Speaker 4: What are we accomplishing by burying an empty coffee?
Speaker 1: You will soon see your chap. Come on, let's slip into the best rays.
Speaker 4: That's way. Well, where are we going? Homes? Up the stairs, beneath the belfry?
Speaker 1: Here they are I supposing.
Speaker 4: Gilly turns last year when he finds out we know his secret.
Speaker 1: Then we must handle him to the best probility once no, I must say I do not relish the thought of a tussle.
Speaker 4: High in the belfry of the church then must be insane.
Speaker 1: Obviously that's why his palm must be destroyed. Let's know, apparently leads to the belty. Keep your wits about your wasn't.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Gilly?
Speaker 8: Mister?
Speaker 1: Oh god?
Speaker 7: The answer you want to see me a love?
Speaker 1: That's nice of here, Not omen I get up here. We haven't come up here to see you At worst, Gilly.
Speaker 3: We know your dime policle work only too well.
Speaker 4: Yes, Galley, we know your secret?
Speaker 1: What secrets that you are mad with power?
Speaker 6: Gilly?
Speaker 1: You've tried to control the destiny of this village. In your position as postman, you have the power to give life and death.
Speaker 8: That's tie, and it's a great power that makes them hell feel good, almost like a god.
Speaker 2: You my say, Second, you scoundrel, you were responsible for the murder of Missus.
Speaker 3: Turckle Is, sir, that I was, and for the old man deserve.
Speaker 1: You were responsible for John Larabi's suicide. Went you that I was?
Speaker 2: L makes my tough boat way off the village, counting I swore, I make a whit.
Speaker 4: Learn God, your.
Speaker 1: Reign is over.
Speaker 4: Gilly.
Speaker 3: You'll never toll the pell again.
Speaker 1: The only one you will hear will be a pleasant You can't touch me, mister Olmes.
Speaker 3: You've got no roof.
Speaker 4: There's nothing you can do.
Speaker 1: Don't be too sure. I'm influence to pick your job away. You take me away from me bells.
Speaker 4: I live for these bells. You wouldn't take me away from them.
Speaker 1: You couldn't live without the power they give you, could you?
Speaker 4: Gilly?
Speaker 1: You're trying to try there who are destroyed? Gilly, Yes you've already failed. Mary's alive alive, but the cuff in the very corner is.
Speaker 3: Full of stones.
Speaker 1: You will be the laughing stock of the village.
Speaker 9: Gilly, they're a laugh at Guinea.
Speaker 3: You can't text me your.
Speaker 4: Own Yes, she's running up the ladder leading to the bell car.
Speaker 3: Come tack your cock. He's mad as a ha.
Speaker 4: Right, what's he gonna do off there?
Speaker 1: He might set part of this people can be gellny madness. I'm gonna fetch him, Holmes, No, Watson, he drew a knight as he fled, And with that wickedy staircase and the narrow opening leading into the bell chamber, you would never stand a chance it gets you on the first left.
Speaker 3: How are we gonna get him down?
Speaker 1: There's only one way. He's in a tiny lost containing his beloved bells. We'll see how much he loves them at close quarters. I doubt if even he can stand the noise in that confined space. Where's that bell rope?
Speaker 3: Come down, Gilly, come down from there?
Speaker 1: No, not until you come down, gill In, I can't down.
Speaker 3: Don't ride my lad You are mad, gilly In, mad with power?
Speaker 6: Come down here?
Speaker 4: I say, why come Gray? Ken't he hold himself out of the belt, Holmes, he hasn't a.
Speaker 1: Chance of surviving that, Paul, I have no intention of causing the un happy man to jump through his death. Watson, though I cannot help but feel that his poor demented mind may find out happy oblivion this way, rather than in the confines, but than asylum.
Speaker 4: If you're probably right home.
Speaker 1: It's been a shocking case, Watson. Shocking, and once again it proves the old saying that violence does, in truth recoil upon the violent, and the schemer falls into the fit which he digs for another Now, doctor Watton, what about next week?
Speaker 4: Well, let me see what's next week.
Speaker 2: I think I'll tell you a rather gruesome story about how sharlock Holm saved the life and the sanity of a certain Count Romagne. I call it the Adventure of the Carpathian Horror.
Speaker 1: Two