Speaker 1: Hey everyone, it's me Stephanie Wilder Tailor. This is Drunkish the podcast. But you knew that the goal of this podcast is to have fun conversations about sobriety without preaching. Just keep it real and please please help me grow and go rate and review if you have one minute. I'm really excited about today's episode. I have Eleise Bryson. She's got twenty years sober. She's the founder of the Sober Curator, which is a lifestyle website all about sobriety. They have stories, poetry, they talk about non alcoholic drink options, they recommend quit lit books, and so much more. So go check them out. We will get into all of this and how she founded this website in the episode. So here's a lease, and we are here with a lease. Thank you so much for coming on the show with short notice, and uh this is this is airing tomorrow, so I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Well that is short notice. Thank you for having me, Stephanie. I'm thrilled to be here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't do a lot of it's not a lot of bells and whistles on this podcast.
Speaker 4: I it's it's you pretty real. Yeah, live to you know, live to tape, but edit.
Speaker 1: I let your story flow and let unless you say some stuff that later.
Speaker 4: You're like, uh oh that has happened, said too much?
Speaker 3: That has happened. I unfortunately learned the hard way.
Speaker 2: One time I shared some stuff that my mom did not know about me, and it was okay, like I she shouldn't she should have known that about me, but she should not have heard it from a podcast versus me just telling her.
Speaker 3: So I learned that once.
Speaker 2: And then one time I shared some things about the father of my child and like a day later, I had to call the podcast or be like, I'm sorry, you have to take that out, like or I'm going to have to make amends and I don't want to do that, so can we just take it out?
Speaker 3: So I have learned. I have learned.
Speaker 1: Yes, my friend and I wanted to come out with a t shirt line that was something like I don't have room for you on my tent step like you know, little.
Speaker 3: That's good, that's good.
Speaker 4: The only people you know if you know, you know.
Speaker 3: I love inside.
Speaker 2: I love inside bench bench bench talk or inside talk, whatever it is.
Speaker 3: I love that I've been here for that all day long.
Speaker 1: One time I went to this meeting, and I called my sponsor afterwards and I was so mad, and I said, all these I shared at this I shared at this meeting, and all these people were like, I said, I don't just don't know if I'm an alcoholic. I'm just not sure, Like I mean, I'm going to like I'm I'm I'm staying sober, but I just don't know if I want that label. And I said, all these people shared the well, I know I'm an alcoholic, and I was I was like, and they were directing that at me, they were judging me, and I was like, I think I need to do a ten step on the on the whole meeting.
Speaker 3: The whole room, the whole room is on the list tonight, folks.
Speaker 4: My sponsor said, or you just let it go.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, there's also that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, that would be a lot less work. So tell me about yourself. You we we were just talking before I hit record. You're twenty years sober.
Speaker 2: Just turned twenty yeah, May first to twenty twenty six first, Yeah, because I'm telling you, cool kids get sober in May.
Speaker 3: Also in the other months, but there's just May is a big month.
Speaker 2: Something must have happened or happens every May, because I just noticed. You notice after enough decades, right when you're in places at celebrate anniversary, birthdays, whatever you want to.
Speaker 3: Call it, Like some months have a lot more than others.
Speaker 2: Like January is another really big month, and that one's kind of obvious as to why.
Speaker 3: But I've just noticed that May is a big month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's kind of hacked to get sober in January.
Speaker 4: So I want it to be different, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will say.
Speaker 2: So my date is May first, and that was before May the fourth, be with you, and I'm a star wars nerd so I'm a little like I contemplated one year. I was like a little relapse, just a little three day or like, so I could get the date that I want.
Speaker 3: And then my sponsor at the time, she's.
Speaker 2: Like, was like, or you could just change your date, like there's not like a date police, And I was.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, but also but it wasn't that day.
Speaker 2: But I mean probably I had enough in my system it could have been that day, like you know, but anyway, I stuck with the OG date. But I do think if I if I ever have to do it again, I'm gonna be thoughtful about the date because you use it so frequently, so it's an important day, like you know, you know.
Speaker 1: When I first got sober. The truth is, I'm admitting this to you for the first time. I don't know if I've said this ever. The truth was that May twenty second was the last time I got drunk.
Speaker 4: May twenty third actually my sobriety date.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but somehow in my head at the beginning, because it makes sense, I was like, Okay, May twenty second, that's my last. Then I finished drinking, and I just never really it just never occurred to me for a long for a couple of years, and then I was like, you know, if you really think about it, I wasn't sober on May twenty second.
Speaker 4: I was sober on May twenty third. But then I was like, I was sort of it. That was my birthday.
Speaker 3: I'm going to change it.
Speaker 2: And I already got my birthday tattooed on my body, so like there's kind of you know, I'm committed at this point. And somebody asked me once what happens if you do relapse, and I was like, you know, here's the thing. I would just add the new date and maybe put a thin line through the old date, because me relapsing doesn't mean the old date didn't matter. It mattered in a big, big, big, big big way, right, So it doesn't. So that's the other thing about dates is they can be important. You can lose them, and they don't lose their importance because they're still part of the journey, part of the process. And I say this because one of my best friend's sons just got sober and wait for it, his day is May the fourth, and I was like, dude, I don't want to and that means he's like not even sixty days sober at this point, right, or just barely sixty days. And I was like, dude, I don't want to put the pressure on, but like, you have picked the best date and you don't even know it. So just like, if you relapse, I'm still gonna love you, I'm still gonna support you, but I will probably have a resentment that you had the best sober day of the year and you threw it away.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hope that helps him.
Speaker 3: I hope so too. Sure, right, the pressure, So.
Speaker 1: Tell me a little bit about your story, like what was going on more than twenty years ago, more.
Speaker 2: Than twenty years ago, so more than twenty years ago, like twenty and a half years ago. I woke up, I was I had I had gotten I woke up I live in this I grew up in a small town between Seattle and Portland, and I had moved back there when I first had my son. Young single mom, I got sober, I got not sober. I definitely did not get sober at twenty. I got pregnant at twenty, so young single mom. I had gone to college, lasted in Seattle for like two years, and I was back home immediately pregnant and trying to figure out my life.
Speaker 3: And then I fell into.
Speaker 2: A job in advertising at the local newspaper. And I'm really good at it. I'm really good at talking. I'm really good at talking people into things. I'm really good like listening to what people need and then like, here's the solution, and a salesperson that's over drinks. So it was literally the perfect job for me until it wasn't right. And so I woke up one day and I had burned most of the bridges in this very small town, and I was like, I got to get out of here. And my kid's dad and his stepmom lived like north of Seattle. So I was like, I'm gonna move to Seattle. I'm gonna work for the Seattle Times, and I'll be closer to his dad, and I'm just going to start my life over.
Speaker 3: Because you know, those of us that deal with deep.
Speaker 2: Addictions, like we love the concept of a clean slate and a do over, like right, We're obsessed with it.
Speaker 4: We have a name for it. We call it a geographic.
Speaker 3: Do call it a geographic?
Speaker 2: And so literally from the time I woke up that morning and was like, I got to get out of here because I had I had stirred up some major drama, right, some major drama, and I.
Speaker 3: Was like, I got to get out of here.
Speaker 2: Thirty days later, like to the day I was in Seattle, I had the job at the Seattle Times, and I was starting over, right, And it was then in that six month window that literally all emotional hell broke loose. So I had had a lot of consequences from my drinking over my career I started around sixteen, A lot of consequences, A lot of shady things happened. I did a lot of shady things, right, because when you put your plate yourself in shady places with shady people, like shady things will happen. But this six month, like the last six months of my drinking career, nothing really shady significant happened, other than because I had removed myself from one environment and put myself in a new environment where I didn't know very many people. My drinking at home really escalated, like really escalated, because up until that point, I was just the good time girl, right like I'll go out any night of the week and we'll have a great time, and I'm a lot of fun until I'm not kind of girl. Right Well, now I'm I got my son, I don't really know anybody, so.
Speaker 3: I'm drinking at home alone a lot.
Speaker 2: And that's where and I don't know, like I felt it in my body, something shifted.
Speaker 3: I'd always been a blackout drinker.
Speaker 2: That was not new, And I had always been when I start drinking, I can't stop.
Speaker 3: That was not new.
Speaker 2: But there was something else that shifted that I can't I've never been able to like really like label properly. It was I like I really lost control and and then it was like I was I was breaking every rule I had, Like I don't drink before eight pm, or I don't drink on Tuesdays.
Speaker 3: That's not true. Daco Tuesday. I always drink on Taco.
Speaker 2: Tuesday Market, Like you know, I like it, just things like like I know why, I really no longer had a handle on it. And the I had started carpooling with this woman I was working at the Seattle time. Started carpooling with this woman. She was sober and if we car pulled together. She also lived in the area that I did, and it was a pretty healthy commute into the city, like an hour each way, and we would get free parking, and parking was expensive then. It's expensive now, but it was expensive then, and I wanted to save as much money as I.
Speaker 3: Could so I could buy my alcohol and the other things I use with that.
Speaker 2: And so here I am stuck in the car with a sober woman like two hours a day, five days a week.
Speaker 3: And I didn't and didn't.
Speaker 2: She's not somebody at first I would have like chosen to hang out with. But you spend that much time with someone, you get to know them, or at least she got to know me. Because I was monop monopolizing the conversation as I'm doing right now. But I just started telling her all of my junk right and she would just sit there and listen to it, and she'd be like, yeah, I know what that's like. I very similar. If you ever want to know what I did, I'm happy to like share it with you.
Speaker 3: I'm happy to take you to a meeting.
Speaker 2: And I was like, no, thanks, Like I don't even really like you, so I don't want what you have, but just keep listening to my stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, boring, just keep listening to my stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, time march on and that inevitable weekend came and I called my sister and I was like, I really can't do this anymore.
Speaker 3: This is really getting out of control. Like I could see the end.
Speaker 2: I could see I hadn't lost anything. I also had not gained anything. I think that's doesn't get talked about enough. I think we talk a lot about what we lose, but like all the things I didn't gain because I couldn't because I was either drunk or hungover. Right, but I could see that I was going to lose my house, or lose my driver's license because I was definitely a drunk driver, or lose my job or lose custody of my kid. Like it was like it was all about to tip and I somehow had this foresight like it was going to go down badly. And I called my sister, who was a chaplain at the time. She's a therapist now specializing in drug and alcohol addiction. I like to take credit for her career. She just never appreciates that. So I think I really helped her find her way. And she had me call one of those eight hundred hotline numbers, which was in Seattle. It was inner group, and you know, there was some really happy person on the other side of the phone telling me to dump out my alcohol. And I was like, you're crazy. I'm not going to dump it out. I'll give it to one of my friends. But like that's like I don't even recycle, but I'm not doing that. Like that's crazy. And so I called my sister back and I was like, that didn't really work.
Speaker 3: You know, she wants me to jump out the alcohol. I'm not doing that.
Speaker 2: And she's like, why don't you call the carpool lady And I was like, uh, carpool lady.
Speaker 3: So I did.
Speaker 2: I called the carpool lady and Carpoolady took me to my first meeting, which I of course hated.
Speaker 3: To be clear, it was an Alano club.
Speaker 4: I hated it.
Speaker 2: I hated it so much so then I made the very quick decision of that's not for me. That's not going to work, that doesn't work, it's not for me, right, And so then that set me off on my little adventure of interviewing going to different therapists. I went to a couple of treatment centers and did like an intake form, and weird, all of them were suggesting that I like Sandra Bullock twenty eight Days.
Speaker 3: And I was like, listen, I'm a single mom.
Speaker 2: I have a career. I don't have time for that. Like there has to be like is there a pill or something you can give me? I love pills, Like there's got to be like a pill, you know. And they're like, no, no, have you tried? Have you tried a twelve step room? And I was like, up, totally did it and not for me? Right? And and she then prodded, she was like, can you tell me a little bit more why? And so as she prodded, I gave my answers and she's like, well, there is there is a there is a meeting here at the treatment center for women only on Tuesday night.
Speaker 4: I was I knew, I was.
Speaker 1: I knew they were going to say, have you tried a women's only meeting?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 2: And because women only, no, thanks, like men only sign me up, you know, but like uh so I was like uh, And she's like, listen, I think if you tried this one.
Speaker 3: It's mostly for inpatient, which we still really.
Speaker 2: Commend you do, but the people that come through the program and then come back like from outside, you could come to it. And I was like, I'll keep that in mind. And then she told me they had an outpatient program, and I was like, I can do that.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna skip over in patient.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go straight to outpatient because I'm just so advanced at everything in life. And I'm gonna wait till summer break and my son will go stay with my parents and then I will work during the day, I will outpatient at night. I will see my son on the weekends. I Am going to project manage my rock bottom, right And they were like, this doesn't this is not a good idea, but okay, if this is the only and at this point. It was like we were like in April, right, and so she was like, well, what are you gonna do between now and then to not drink? And I was just like, I'm gonna drink. What are you talking about? Like, I don't have to not drink for another like thirty days, Calm down, right, And that's what she was like, again, the meeting will be here, and I'm like I'll sure, okay. Well, then some time went by, and then inevitably I had one of those weekends of so much shame, guilt and shame.
Speaker 3: And you know, I was just telling this story the other day of my last drink.
Speaker 2: If I had known that my last drink was going to be my last drink, I would have done a much better job, because my last drink is sad and pathetic. It was a Sunday. I had been bend shrinking all weekend and I woke up very hungover on the couch and my son was watching SpongeBob. I can still see the room very clearly. We had one of those really big, old, the old school big screen TVs that were like just as wide deep as they were wide, you know the one I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, And how old was your son at this time?
Speaker 3: It was nine at the time.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's almost thirty now, and I was looking around immediately I woke up and I needed a drink right And the only thing that was left over was this warm bottle of opened wine or champagne. It was light in color, so I don't remember now, and he had the night before he had started filling it with gumballs, trying to get me to stop drinking it. That was my last drink is warm unopened or warm wine that had been opened overnight.
Speaker 3: Filled with gumballs. Like that's sad, you know, it's sad.
Speaker 2: And so so I ended up going to one of those meetings on that Tuesday night, and what do you know, I heard my story over and over and over and over and over, like every single woman had the like exact details of my story.
Speaker 3: Not there were no like even variants.
Speaker 2: There was no wiggle room for me to be like, no, you're not like them I had.
Speaker 3: I just really confronted the reality of, oh, you are an alcoholic.
Speaker 2: I'm very comfortable with that word. Some people aren't, and it's okay if you're not, I am. I am too, But it takes like I wasn't.
Speaker 3: Then, right, I wasn't then, And I was like, you are.
Speaker 2: And and the thing is I had said it before, but i'd said it like a badge of honor, as like a joke, like yeah, I'm a professional drinker. Okay, I never got paid to drink, to be clear. And I was so overwhelmed. And I have told this story many times before too, but I ran out of that meeting.
Speaker 3: I got in my car.
Speaker 2: I didn't stay to hold hands, I didn't stay to put my chair away. I ran because I confronting reality in public brings on emotions.
Speaker 3: Which I didn't know what to do with, and I needed out.
Speaker 2: Like if one person had like looked at me funny or tried to hug me, I would have completely lost my shit. And I ran to the car, and I was so mad at God. I grew up in a Christian home. Both my grandfathers were pastors. I went to a private Christian school where my mother was the teacher. Right, so I don't have I don't have a problem with the concept of God or a higher power. I was really mad at God because I was like, Okay, you know, I'm chubby, I'm single, I'm a single Mom, I'm.
Speaker 3: Barely living paycheck to paycheck, and.
Speaker 2: Now you want to take my vodka away, like you're just mean, you know, you're just mean and you don't care about me, to take the well the only thing around that's been there for me, which is obviously not true, but that's what I thought in my head. And as I was driving back to my house, I was shaking my fist at God, just like, if this is really it, give me one more sign.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: And as I'm demanding a sign from God, a ding goes off in my car and it says.
Speaker 3: Perform service. And I was just like, I had to pull over. I had to pull over.
Speaker 2: And yes, I know I needed an oil change, not the point of the story. I was demanding a sign and I got perform service. I also did not realize how funny that line would be over the years, right, Obviously, I had no idea. I pulled over to the side of the road and I just something cracked open, like surrender. I just cracked open and I started like you know when you laugh through tears, and there's just booger and laugh and crying, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Just sitting there and I'm just like, because.
Speaker 2: My God has a sense of humor. He was like, Okay, she's demanding a sign.
Speaker 3: Let's give her one.
Speaker 2: See what she does next, right, And I was like, what I mean, Okay, fine, you win, I'm done. I'll do whatever. I will literally like, you're right, I'm done, and just total surrender. And I wish there was some way you could package that up and hand someone told her total surrender, but unfortunately it's a very personal experience that you just have to get to when you get to it. In my that's what I believe. And as I was sitting there surrendering and just like I give up, fine, I will do whatever, I look back into the dash and the perform service had gone away, and what came back up was my cast tank and it showed I was just a little bit below a quarter of a tank, not quite yet on empty. And then what I heard, as if there really was a person in the passenger seat, which yes, I was hearing voices that is where I was in my addiction. What I heard then was God saying, you can do this.
Speaker 3: Now. The next time I come back for you, you will be past empty.
Speaker 2: And I mean I heard it, and I was just and that to me was my burning Bush moment. And by the grace of God and a bunch of other things, I haven't had a drink since that night, which was April thirtieth, two thousand and six.
Speaker 1: So did you go back, did you go into treatment into like a thirty day or did you continue?
Speaker 2: Did you stayed on my project management self will plan. I did not go to the thirty day because I still convinced myself I couldn't afford it, couldn't do it. I had good insurance at the time, but I just like I couldn't do it. But I did do outpatient and I did start hanging out in church basements every single day, and I did. I did everything everyone told me to do, and you know what, it worked. I did get sober and I did stay sober. But I around year three or year four, I didn't want to drink. I didn't want to live because what had happened is I hadn't actually changed anything. I had managed to not drink for three or four years. I had managed to not put any drugs in my body for three or four years. My career had taken off. Now I'm at a magazine. I'm running this fancy magazine so I got my dream job. By getting sober, great, I became a raging workaholic, and I didn't change anything else, meaning I was still making a lot of bad, questionable decisions with my dating life. You know, there was still a lot. I still was not managing money. Well, I was still like, nothing really changed other than I wasn't drunk. And so where that left me was actually more depressed and more shamefull of shame, and more broken at year three or four than I was a day three or four, right, And that was scary to confront the I don't want to live because I was a mom and I was like and he was still like very young, you know, he was like thirteen at the time, now four fourteen at the time. And so that is what it took for me to not only meet with a doctor and a therapist and get on a plan medically, but I also then actually stopped sitting in rooms and I started doing step work. And step work is where my life changed. That's where everything changed. But the workoholism continued. And where that left me was at ten years sober, I had emergency heart surgery. So at the age of forty, Yeah, at the age of forty, and that is that was a direct result of the alcoholic drugs I had put in my body for sixteen years and then the stressful life I was living for the next ten years. Right, And so I have definitely one big walking cautionary tail.
Speaker 3: And I will say what happened then, even.
Speaker 2: Though I had worked the steps at that point a couple of times, and I've been sponsoring lots of people, and I will say, for me, helping other people through their step work was more beneficial than me going through it myself. And I stand by that to this day. And that's why I will still help people to this day, because I get so much out of it. And at the end of the day, I'm still super selfish, but almost dying at the age of forty, being wheeled into emergency heart surgeries, you know, saying goodbye to my son, saying goodbye to my parents, not knowing if I was coming back out. That'll change your perspective on how you do a lot of things. And so the last decade has been trying to figure out a career with work life balance, which I've done a really good improvement.
Speaker 3: There. Am I perfect?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 2: No do? I still tend to work too much sometimes, absolutely, But I've got checks and balances in place, right, and everything I was doing ten years ago for my recovery I still do and a little bit more because I'm of the camp that this is a progressive thing that I'm not ever going to be cured from.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have to define me, but it's progressive.
Speaker 2: Meaning if I were to pick up a drink today, I believe I would be worse off today than I was ten years ago, twenty years ago. So if this thing is progressive, then I have to be progressive in what I do for it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: And for those of you that buy insurance policies, think about why you buy insurance policies, right. You buy them because it gives you a sense of protection. And I love insurance policies. I will put insurance on anything. I've got insurance on my dog, right, Like if I buy an appliance and they're like, do you want insurance?
Speaker 3: Yes, I do.
Speaker 2: I want insurance on everything because it gives me the sense of false control. But it also when things do go sideways, it does help. And so I believe there's a lot of things I have to do for my insurance policy on my recovery and that I'll actually have to come has to come first, because if I'm not sober and work and being in recovery first and foremost, none of the rest of it matters. I'm not a good friend, I'm not a good daughter, I'm not a good mom. You know, I'm not a good anything. If I'm not working on constantly improving the areas that I naturally gravitate towards big an asshole are being super selfish, and so I am on a long journey. I'm definitely not there yet. I've learned a lot of things. Unfortunately, there's still a lot of things I seem to have to keep repeating, which sucks. But I look if I when I look back now, if I would have said, hey, lease of twenty years ago, if you just do these actually really simple things so I like to overcomplicate things, If you just do these really simple, simple things repeatedly, you're going to get all of this. I would have never believed I would have had the life that I've had over the last two decades twenty years ago, never in a million years, And I wouldn't have dreamt big enough for myself right the.
Speaker 3: Dreams I had were eh.
Speaker 2: The dreams I got were wow, you know, And so I'm actually very excited to see what's next because in a book somewhere it does say the best is yet to come.
Speaker 1: So do you still work for a magazine, because I know you've built you'r the Sober Curator, And I mean, I want to hear, how long into sobriety did you start working making your career about sobriety.
Speaker 3: So that's such a good question. I didn't for a long time.
Speaker 2: So when I was at the magazine for a decade and then I left and went to a TV station, an NBCTV station in Seattle, and I worked on their lifestyle shows. Oh wow, okay, And because we were producing two lifestyle shows and one YouTube lifestyle show locally. So that's the same thing. That's like taking a magazine and bringing the content to life. And that was also during a time where social media was shifting into more video content, more and more and more video content. You know, we weren't quite we were just we were just starting the tiktoks of the world and the instagram reels of the world, and YouTube was becoming much more mainstream and I was it was I was there during the pandemic, and so up until twenty twenty, I did not recover out loud on the internet because I was told at the level of press, radio, and film. And that's all what I was told is press, radio and film.
Speaker 3: Right. So, but if you met me in person and it came up.
Speaker 2: In an organic way that I could be helpful, I wasn't shy about it, but I was most definitely not putting it on a hat or a shirt or LinkedIn.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: But then when the pandemic happened and we all many of us got pushed to work from home, and I was then given the gift of time. So I was no longer commuting, I was no longer going to events, I was no longer traveling. That's a lot of time now just at home. And because I'm a heart survivor, I was being extra extra cautious because in the early days of COVID, we didn't know what we didn't know right, right, right, So I was definitely the one wiping her groceries down. Yes, I was that girl. And after we had been there for a couple months and realized, oh, this is going to be much longer than the three weeks, they told us this is going to be We're going to be here for a minute.
Speaker 3: I was like, well, you have two choices. You can either finish watching the rest.
Speaker 2: Of Netflix, or you can do something with your time that when this is over and we all come back to the normal world, you feel proud of. And so that is when I decided to launch the Sober Curator. It was actually six years ago this week that I sat down at my parents' dining room table and pulled out my laptop and was like I had at this point. I I had run a city magazine, I had worked at a big TV station, but I was like the boss of the people that were building the website and doing the social media and writing the content and editing the content. I wasn't doing any of those things, right, I'm just the mouthpiece. But I was like, I should be able to figure this out. So I taught myself WordPress, and I taught myself graphic design, and I taught myself how to write the way that I talked. So then it kind of sounds like me. I mean, it does sound like me. But then I knew like with this project, because I knew what I wanted. I at that point there was a sober community online, right, their sober influencers exist. There was now a bunch of books, There was now a bunch of podcasts, Great awesome love seeing that would have used much of that in early sobriety. But as a person at that point fifteen years sober, it didn't speak to me as a woman in long term sobriety, which I think anything with two digits is long term. And so I was like, where is the space online for people in long term recovery? Because we still have problems. Things are still hard, life gets lifey. Our problems are just classier, right and.
Speaker 3: So we and we yeh.
Speaker 2: So I just I couldn't find it, and so I was like, you know what, I'm just gonna build it myself. So that's what I did. I sat down at my parents' dining room table. I mapped out a plan. I launched the site by accident before it was ready. The original name was The Sober Critic, which I thought was clever, and then I was like, oh no, Like one week in I was like, oh no, people are going to think I'm criticizing the different path of recovery, which I'm not. Right, I don't care, and so our whole thing is like, I don't care how you get sober.
Speaker 3: I don't care why you get sober.
Speaker 2: I don't even care if you don't like the word sober, but if you're not putting substances in your body on purpose so that you can show up fully present and just deal with the life, the life that can serve to you, like I want to have a conversation with you, and I want to keep you motivated. I want to keep you inspired, I want to keep you entertained. Right, And so, the Sober Curator is a lifestyle hub, and we write a rout. We write about non alcoholic drinks, all the kinds, except we don't cover the ones with THHD in them because I am trying to hold space for everyone, and I don't If you drink those, that's fine, but I need to hold space for the people that don't, too, right, so we don't. We were very intentional about what we do and don't cover on the drink side, and the drink side is not for everyone.
Speaker 3: Some people can be very triggered by that.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it's like to be in early sobriety and have all those options because they didn't exist when I was sober, but they probably would have been triggery for me. I can have them now if I'm out at a fancy dinner, I'm like, sure, I'll try your mocktail off your menu.
Speaker 3: But am I making cocktails at home that are alcohol free? I'm not. I'm drinking diet coke, you know.
Speaker 1: I remember a couple of years into the writ, No, maybe it was really early. Maybe it was in my first year. I remember going to a restaurant and ordering Tremi sue and oh yeah, having a bite of it and being like, oh, oh yeah, wow, this really tastes like alcohol. And then I had a whole thing in my head because I was like, well, you're not going to get drunk off Terremi Sue or kids couldn't order it, you know, but it still felt wrong and not awaken the beast right, And I was like, well, it's still tasting so much like alcohol that I'm very uncomfortable. So I didn't eat it. And then I felt weird about it and told my sponsor and she was like, you're fine. It's about intention, and it is about yeah, but it was a it was a kind of a little wake up call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of like, oh, labels, Yeah, read labels and know your body right, and I have had. I did that once with a cherry Jubilee and it was just having that one bite and I was like, oh oh, and I.
Speaker 3: Knew I wasn't going to get drunk off the dessert right right right. And I probably even had like two more bites.
Speaker 2: I know I didn't finish it, but I will say it stayed in my mind for a couple of weeks, and so that's all I needed to know to that was the research I needed to know. It's not for you, right, It's not for you. It's not worth it, It's not worth the risk. We also write about we write about fashion, we write about merchandise. I love finding sober business owners that are doing their thing and maybe they're not recovering out loud, but they just they're a sober business owner. I want to I want to get to know them. I want to help promote their companies because if given the choice to do business with someone who's sober, I'm going to pick them. Every time we cover travel, we love covering travel and events. We have a very row bust events and retreat calendar, and then entertainment is really our stick. So we do a ton of book reviews, podcast reviews, movie reviews, TV show reviews, music celebrities, anything that is in pop culture that ends up in the sober zeitgeist. I'm trying to like grab a hold of. So a good example of this was at the beginning of July, the original manuscript with Bill W's handwriting went on sale at Christy's Auction in New York and it has actually been purchased by the foundation that runs the Bill and Lowis House wherever that is. That foundation has actually purchased a manuscriptisodes now it's returned back to its original owners, if you will. But that manuscript has been in other people's eccentric rich people's eccentric collections for many years and sold for many millions of dollars to the different places. So that's something that's interesting to me, right, It's interesting to me that that is still something that's been preserved and archived, and it's interested to me the hands that it's changed and the daughters. The man who owned it passed away and so the daughters were selling off a lot of his pieces of collection, but they save that one for last, because that was the one he was most important to him. I just think, you know, these are things that are interesting, and that's what we're trying to do with this number curator is to archive this stuff in real time, so we can kind.
Speaker 3: Of archive what happened in the past.
Speaker 2: But we're also trying to like, we're not going to be able to predict the future, but we're trying to see where things are going.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Now we've got the layer of AI involved, and some people are using AI in their sobriety tools. I have yet to figure out how to have AI write my fourth step, but you know that's fun.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you, like, what are a couple of movies about sobriety. I'll tell you one of mine, Yeah, one of my favorites. And I'll tell you one of my favorite books. But I am a sucker for When a Man Loves a Woman Meg Ryan, Andy Garcia. I'll tell you why I love it so much, because I feel like there have been a lot of movies about alcoholics, and you know, or people who not necessarily alcoholic, but people who are trying to be alcohol free. I kid with I'm making a joke about some people don't want it. We don't want to label ourselves. But you know, there's been movies about addiction. Let's just say a lot of them, and a lot of them have to do with And this goes back to what we were talking about at the beginning, about the getting sober and then once you get sober, that's the goal, and then everybody lives happily ever after. What I really liked about When a Man Loves a Woman was that so Meg Ryan, you know, is like a happy drunk, pretty pretty functional, except that she's she's like us where you know, she has a nice life, but she get when she drinks, she does it too much, and you know, shit happens, and so she falls through her shower. She hits her kid and then falls through her shower door and the kid thinks she's died, and it's very sad and she has to go to rehab. And then when she gets out of rehab, her husband, who's very hot Andy Garcia is really seems to be being the greatest husband ever. He's very he cares about her, he's trying to, you know, and she gets the ick from her husband because now she's sober and she's like, ough, he's so codependent. He's infantilizing me, and she wants to just hang out with her edgy, new sober friends, and she's mad and irritable. And then Andy Garcia, whose name I forgot in the movie, so we'll just call me Andy Garcia, is like, I like, this is not okay, Like I would like to have my wife not tell me her skin crawls when I touch her, basically.
Speaker 4: And then they're gonna get a divorce. They're going to get separated. And I was like, this is the dealing with like.
Speaker 1: Real shit, Like it's not easy, the aftermath of getting sober, like some stuff changes, it's hard, and that's the part that's I think the some of the important story to tell is how do you get through that and how do you lean on your friends but also confront some of your own issues. And I don't know, I thought it was a really good movie.
Speaker 3: It's a really good movie. It's a classic for a reason for sure.
Speaker 2: And unfortunately, the way the alcohol is portrayed in movies and TV shows is, you know, we either see the traditional rock bottom in the first thirty days, but then we never know what happens to them after that. I also so at the Sobercurator. We have a private membership if you will. All the content on the Sober Curator is free, got almost three thousand pieces of content.
Speaker 3: Our newsletter is free.
Speaker 2: But earlier this year we started backstage with the Sober Curator, which is it is a paid membership, but think of it as like masterclass but interactive, and a podcast but interactive. You come and you are learning something and oh, by the way, everybody in the room happens to be sober or they're a sober ally right. And so we recently had Ted Mandel from Notre Dame is a professor at Notre Dame and he teaches a class call a course called Drunk on Film where he exposes the way that Hollywood portray's alcohol in a way that it sets it up to be not what it really is, you know, glamorous and without consequence and whatever.
Speaker 3: And so he just came and.
Speaker 2: Took us through like a one hour version of his course, and I have to tell you, I got so mad watching it because I can see now the movies that I watched in the nineties and the two thousands why I was so influenced to drink the way that I did. But then was baffled so that I had these consequences, but the characters in the films didn't, you know, And so that was a fascinating thing. What I'm hoping as we're archiving all these reviews on is it a good job of showing addiction? Is it too stereotypical? Like I want to see more characters in films and movies that have five years sober, ten years sober, fifteen years sober, and it's part of the storyline, it doesn't have to be the only part. And we're seeing that. So like The Lincoln Lawyer, if you've watched that series, I think it's on Netflix. He's a detective. No, he's an attorney, excuse me, but he does a lot of detective work for his cases. He's sober, and so once in a while you'll hear him say something that is a language that those of us that hang out in church basements will pick up on. There was also a show that came out. It had two seasons I believe, called Single Drunk Female and Yes. The main character it was about she was twenty seven. She lost her job because of her drinking, and so the show follows her in the first one year of her sobriety, and she goes to twelve step rooms and her mom is super codependant and her mom was Ali sheety. Her aunt is Molly Ringwald. Like it's great, you know, but what the characters that I actually identified with in that show were her sponsors. In season one, her sponsor had ten years right. In season two, her sponsor was actually played by Busy Phillips, and she was twenty years sober, but she was a kleptomaniac, you know. And so it was just like, that's what I want to see because I've evolved in my recovery journey and now I want the movies and the TV shows. I want them to catch up. And so but in order to have that happen, we have to be talking about it, I think. And so that's what we look for when we're looking for movies. I think my favorite, though if I had to say my favorite of all time, I could narrow it down to two. I'm always going to vote twenty eight Days with Sander Bullet because to me, that's a classic. I even during the pandemic, made a Peep's diary of it. I thought it was very clever and then and that one's just obviously she's drunk. She goes to rehab for twenty eight days. That's the storyline, she gets sober. We don't know what happens though afterwards. So I would love to see twenty eight days later two or something and now it's like her daughter has to go to rehab.
Speaker 3: I think that would be a really great sequel.
Speaker 2: I've also loved Flight with Denzel Washington because there's a few and Denzel Washington is ten years sober irl, and so I do think if you pay attention to celebrities, actors, actresses that are truly in addiction it have been through addiction and are now sober, and you see them play a character with addiction, they will play it better than anybody ever can because they're drawing on lived experience. Jamie Lee Curtis is another example. She plays an alcoholic mom in The Bear and there's an episode I think it's like season three years four, you know, the one where she makes.
Speaker 4: Some mens yeah, uh huh yeah.
Speaker 2: Like there's that's she's drawing from lived experience. That is I'm sorry, And she is an amazing actor. She's won awards, but like, I don't believe in even even the best actor on earth. If they don't have the lived experience, they're not going to be able to do it the same way. This is the hill I'm willing to die on because I just think it makes a difference, right, And so that's the kind of stuff that we love stories like we learned from stories, and so that's why I think it's very important that the stories start to evolve, because I believe that recovery is evolving.
Speaker 1: Here's a book that I love that I read years before I got sober, and I'm sure you love this book too, But Drinking a love Story.
Speaker 3: It's a Caroline Nap Journal Library. You must, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've read that book probably four or five times, and you know, over the course of many many years. I'm saying because, like I said, I read it before I ever got sober. But wow, what a great book. Not a perfect person no spoiler alert, she dies.
Speaker 4: So sad.
Speaker 1: Then I read a book by her best friend whose name is Gail. Now I can't remember the book, but it's about their friendship, which was a really beautiful book that I liked very much.
Speaker 4: So what do you think?
Speaker 1: I mean, Like I said, before I hit record, you were saying that you do you feel because I think that sobriety has become much more trendy and many people talking about it, which I appreciate. I think it's been normalized. So when I got sober seventeen years ago, it was still there was a lot of shame about especially for me because I was a mom. So I don't know if you know this book. So I had written a book called Sippy Cups or Not for Chardonnay, which was a huge book, and I talked a lot about drinking in the book.
Speaker 4: This was not a book written sober.
Speaker 1: This was a book written by an alcoholic who was trying to justify my drinking as being hilarious and a lifestyle. You know, I did not know better. I started writing the book when my daughter was only a few months old, and I was an edgy, you know, comedian who was like, I don't have to lose my personality.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I wasn't drinking as much as I probably portrayed in the book. But the point is when I got sober many years later, it became news because here's this person who had written all about how great drinking as a mom is and defending drinking and then all of a sudden, I wasn't drinking, so the New York Times was interested. Way too many people were interested, and I was very newly sober. So by the time I was like six months sober, I was doing interview.
Speaker 4: I was very certain that I was done drinking.
Speaker 1: I like you had the gift of desperation and was done. So it wasn't even though I was still for the first year like, I don't know if I'm a diagnosable like alcoholic, like what is like? I still feel like my drinking was different than other people's. I was doing that for like the first year until I decided a year in doesn't really matter. I don't want to drink, and I don't want to drink more than I want to go back to drinking, so who cares. I'll call it alcoholic. I guess I'm an Alcohol'll call it that, you know. And then I got used to that, and it's totally fine with me now. And I appreciate the word because I am a black and white thinker and I need to think of myself as I need to be somebody who's like, I can't drink not well, I don't know, I might not be an alcoholic.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'm just alcohol free.
Speaker 1: It's like, well, that's fine, But that, to me, that implies that there's a chance that I might be able to sneak in. Once I figured this all out and I've done alcohol free for a while, I could reintroduce alcohol and be different. And I just know I reached a point where I was like, no, I'm just never going to drink again. But my point that I was going to make is that for a long time, it was very difficult to do these like TV appearances, and because I would get a lot of like shitty comments online, or you know, when an article about me came out in the New York Times, all the comments were like she should have her kids taken away. And I feel like we've made a lot of progress in being able to share stories of the normalcy of just being a sober person in the world and talking about some of the things that you used to only hear in meetings. I think have become accessible to regular people.
Speaker 4: Being able to listen to.
Speaker 1: A podcast like this and hearing what people's lives were really like and hearing you talk about being a single mom and drinking and having your son put gumballs in your wine. That used to be the kind of thing that could just fill people with shame and not want to ever share.
Speaker 4: Something like that.
Speaker 1: And I think that now it's become not cool, I don't want to say that, but normalized, so that people who maybe struggle but are like I don't know if I'm I don't know if I want to do all that, like get sober, but they can start to hear themselves, you know what I'm saying, without having to go to rehab or make this giant leap into going to twelve step meetings. If they don't think that's for them, don't you think that this is kind of a very good thing that I do grow many many more stories about people being sober.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And as we rap, like, I will just say, like I believe the type rises all boats and there's a path for everyone.
Speaker 3: Some are more well traveled than others.
Speaker 2: But I think that you said something earlier on that is the key point of all of it.
Speaker 3: It's your intention and what are your intentions?
Speaker 2: And then there is a medical side of it, like some of us need medical help, right because in some cases quitting cold Turkey can be very dangerous. So uh, but I think that people are having conversations about it, and people are rethinking drinking in the workplace. I've done a lot of speaking around that, especially for people managers, like if you're going to do team building culture building activities and alcohol is involved, that's fine, but don't make it the only activity and make sure there are other options, right, And I'm not talking water and coffee and diet coke, although I will drink a dit coke every time. Options you know, they need to also have a pretty glass, you know, don't make them feel like they're sitting at the kids table.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I like that.
Speaker 1: I think that's it's important work, and I think that being willing I'm just because I'm interested in the fact that you started out being like I sh shouldn't be public about this because anonymity for me, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't believe.
Speaker 1: I don't believe in that, and kind of didn't from the beginning. Even though I got a lot of pushback when I was on TV, I wasn't. I certainly wasn't saying anything about how I did it.
Speaker 4: But I don't. I don't see anything wrong.
Speaker 1: I see everything right in being willing to share your story in public because that's the only thing that makes it accessible to other people. They have to see that alcoholism isn't just you know, people drinking, you know, out of a brown paper bag under a bridge somewhere. That alcoholism is tons of people that you know that maybe don't tell you that they're sober, but that if you were at a party with them and they were. You know what I'm saying, like so many of our friends. I mean, you and I are sober, so we probably talk about it.
Speaker 4: We're more open about it. And I think.
Speaker 1: That somehow I meet a lot of people that don't drink.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing, because.
Speaker 4: I'll say, everybody's talking about it's over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we think everybody's talking about it because we're talking about it, and our algorithm is talking about it. But people are not talking about it, not as much as we think they are. And so that's why I think we have to keep talking about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's easy to make that assumption, but then you have to remember that your algorithm caters to everything you put out and everything you consume, So it's just going to give you more of that. It's going to keep reinforcing. That's what the conversation is but it's but it's it's not it's your algorithm. And so I do think more people are talking about it than that we're ten years ago. But I still think there's a big, big hill to climb.
Speaker 1: Well, the reason that I started this podcast is because there are there are other podcasts, but they are not funny or you know, they're they're a little more earnest. And when on my other podcasts, which is called for crying out loud, I talked every time I talked about being sober or sobriety. That's when I got the most reactions people messaging me, people saying like, oh, it really helped me when you're super honest about, you know, being sober and you're honest about what it was like before, And that made me go, well, maybe there is a space for just straight up like let's tell our stories. And so I think it's been helpful to people to have that without lecturing, you know, without saying there's only one way to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, Yeah, yeah, all.
Speaker 1: Right, well so will you find so we go to the sober Curator Tellercurator, oh shit, yeap, the sober Curator dot com.
Speaker 3: We have a newsletter called the Sober Sip.
Speaker 2: We sent it out on Mondays and Wednesdays and it gives you a highlight of anything we've published in the last week to keep it easy for you to make sure you don't have any fomo and miss out on something. We're on also social media platforms because we have to be. Most of my traffic comes through search or comes through the l MS, so but we are on social media because if you're not there, people think it's weird, but it's not really where our audience comes from. But we do distribute all of our content through those channels. And then yes, we have a group podcast. Season two just started. We're on YouTube, Apple, Spotify, iHeart all the places, but come hang out with us.
Speaker 3: We're up to some fun things.
Speaker 1: Okay, everybody. You'll find all the links in the description of the episode. I would just thank you so much, Elise. It's it's it's been a great episode. It's been great talking to you.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: It's done in lind