Speaker 1: Welcome to the Auction Brief.
Speaker 2: There's a joy in these games or.
Speaker 1: Not, taking you on a journey through fantasy football, the law, and life. We saw your It depends on how much you want. And now you're legal analyst and auction draft expert here to help you.
Speaker 2: Dominate your fantasy drafts. Your host, Drew Davenport.
Speaker 1: There are full hearts.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, welcome into the Auction Brief. As lady said, I'm your host, Drew Davenport and thank you for joining me for another solo effort on the MIC. As we head into the middle of August, Oh my god, where has the time gone? This summer? We have pumped out a lot of content here on the Auction Brief, But folks, you're here for the penultimate episode of the summer. That's right, No discussions with Drew next week. We only have the Auction Manifesto left. That is the final episode of the summer. Next week and today we have one more solo effort on the MIC. But Discussions with Drew is over for the summer. And before I get any further into the show, I just want to say thank you to all the guests once again for coming on and making it an incredible summer of discussions with Drew. We had some more great guests. They all brought it and gave us all the player evaluation information that we could handle this summer. I think it was another great summer for discussions with Drew and I hope you did as well. And I hope you enjoyed the new format this summer because I had fun breaking it up and I really like dropping two different episodes every week keeping people interested throughout the week. So no discussions Withdrew next week. But I want to thank everyone that came on this summer and made it such a roaring success. We had Jim Coventry, rich Rebar, Marcus Grant, Brian Drake, Joe Dolan, JJ Zacherieson, Matt Harmon, Scott Pianowski, Michael f Florio, and John Dagel. That is quite the murderer's row. Tons of great analysts, tons of great information. Thank you to all of them, And please go out there and support these folks work because they gave the auction brief time for free to come on and help educate you and help you win your fantasy leaks. So give them just a little bit of support, maybe a like on a tweet, a retweet, check out their article, give them a page view, anything that you can do to support other content creators that have helped out the Auction brief and that have helped you out of the goodness of their heart. I'm not making money, they're not making money. We're doing the show for free for you to help you win fantasy leaks, and that's what we want to do. So anyway, thank you all for tuning in for discussions with Drew. But we have some big business to take care of, and it's perhaps some of the most important business of the summer.
Speaker 1: Of course, the Auction.
Speaker 2: Manifesto is important next week, but today's episode is going to be important as well because we're going to discuss five elite auction skills that you need to have in your skill set because we can be good auction players, but until we learn some of these things, we are not going to be elite. So before we get to that, let's get the preliminary stuff out of the way, and an important piece of housekeeping known as the drum roll.
Speaker 1: Please the Listener League.
Speaker 2: Yep, we are back for another year of the Listener League. I will be scheduling the date here before too long, once I get a couple other drafts locked in. So if you want to get in the listener League, I'm going to give you the information today and in next week's episode of the Manifesto. That information will come in the form of just a small task that you have to do. Here in just a second, we'll talk about that. But I will have the date locked in by next week. I just need to get some stuff scheduled so that I don't have any conflicts and I can devote the night to drafting with all of you. So preliminary stuff out of the way. I'm Drew Davenport FF on Twitter. You can also find the Patreon network for just four bucks a month Fantasy Football Lawyer and hey, get some of the best draft boards in the business. Get them ordered now. It is that time. Give them time to get your order without having to do express shipping or any of that stuff. You can get out the door for around fifty bucks for some of the best draft boards in the business. Use my code auction brief for ten percent off. Auction Brief for ten percent off. I think they're the best draft boards in the business. I say it all summer, I say.
Speaker 1: It every year.
Speaker 2: I love FJA fantasy draft boards. All right, the moment you've all been waiting for. How do I get in the Listener League. First of all, let me just say number one that if you were in in the Listener League last year, you are not eligible to play this year. We just got to give other people a chance. So if you were in it last year, take a year off. You can come back and try to enter again next year. But the other thing that you have to do to be in the Listener League is, of course listen to the show. Right And let me just say this is a request. This is just something that I'm asking. This is not required to get in the Listener League. But if you're a big fan of the show, go leave me a five star rating or help leave me a one. If you hate the show, but leave me a rating. It helps to get rated.
Speaker 1: And I have a four.
Speaker 2: Point nine I believe on Spotify and Apple and that's that's a good rating. Hey, you know, my show was I believe, ranked thirty seventh in the podcast Fantasy Sports space. I know that doesn't seem like a really high ranking, but frankly, it kind of is. Because I looked at some shows that are ranked around me, and there's some pretty big names, and I'm proud of that. So the auction brief is doing numbers this summer and I'm really happy about that. So anything that you can do to help, in the form of leaving a positive review, leaving a five star review, a five star rating, that stuff helps. It helps the show. So that's not required. That's not part of the Listener League, but I thought i'd mentioned it here because this is a labor of love and it would really help me out if you could do that. But the actual entry into the Listener League is a little bit easier than that. If you're somebody who listens to the show, all you have to do is name for me two players that I talked about in the fourteen Guys to Unlock your auction episode. I want you to give me your two favorite players from that episode that I named of the fourteen players that can unlock your twenty twenty six auction. DM me that give me that information either on Patreon DMS or on Twitter DMS. Give me your two favorite players, and if you want, here is a fun little side game. You will get an extra entry so you can double your chances of getting in the listener league, if you can name for me the player that I just do not like, that I think kind of sucks at football, but who I might have to be reluctantly in on this year. If you listen to the show, if you're diehard listener, this one's going to be easy for you. And let me just give you a hint. It is not Christian Watson. Okay, it's not Christian Watson. So that's your hint. The clue is a player that I think sucks at football, but who I might have to be reluctantly back in on this year for fantasy football is blank.
Speaker 1: Who's that player?
Speaker 2: So if you can name me two players from the fourteen players episode, that's your entry. You get in an automatic entry for that. And if you can name me this other player, that's another entry, so you double your chances of getting in. When I have the drawing, have the drawing and announce it on Twitter here in about the next ten days something like that. You'll have two episodes to hear the entry information this weekend next week, and then I will do a drawing and we'll get to the business of having the draft.
Speaker 1: All right, that's your listener league. Information for this year.
Speaker 2: I know everybody has been thinking about it because I've been getting questions about whether or not I'm doing it again this year. So yes, we're running it back for another year of the Listener League. All right, so what are we doing today? Well, we're talking about elite auction skills. And why are we talking about specifically elite auction skills. Well, I think that is the crux of what we are doing, not just today but in general when we talk about how to become better at auctions. And the reason I'm not just talking about these auction skills that I like is because that's too broad of a brushstroke to be painting on August thirteenth.
Speaker 1: We need to be.
Speaker 2: Drilling down and figuring out what's going to make us better when we get in our auctions this summer. So next week is the manifesto that's going to have that thirty thousand foot view, but it's also going to walk you through an auction and what you should be doing at every step, how you should be attacking your auctions this year. And that's going to be sort of a self contained episode. But today I don't want to talk about that stuff. The nuts and bolts. What I want to talk about is the fact that all summer long, I've been telling you the people who win are the ones who can do simple, repeatable things, who can avoid mistakes, and who can be the most solid auction drafters around. And when you do that kind of stuff, it's pretty easy to go in and quote unquote win the room or win the draft, and that stuff's fairly straightforward stuff. But I've been telling you a little bit of a fib all summer long. Fib So anybody use the that term anymore? Everybody back in nineteen six my kids always told me FIBs. I've been just you know, this summer, I've been telling you that that's what you need to do and what you need to focus on. And I believe that that is true. People who don't make mistakes, who are solid, who do repeatable things, who do things that are straightforward and easy things to do. You can become a very good auction drafter by doing those things. But the reason I tell you that I've been saying all of this this summer, and it's a bit of a fib, is that I don't believe that you can become an elite auction drafter. I don't know if you can become the best of the best. I don't know if you can become really, really really good at this thing unless you can do some other things that require some nuance, that requires some work, and that requires some time to develop. And those elite auction skills are something that I need you to still be thinking about because we can't just talk about being solid and boring. We have to talk about our ceiling as well. And that's where I want to start today's show. Let's talk about reaching our ceiling in auction drafts by developing some elite skills. So for today, it's my five elite skills you need in your auction draft rooms auction talk. So the reason these skills are considered to be elite skills is because there are skills that, by and large somewhat elude definition. They're somewhat amorphous or nebulous concepts. I talk about that all the time. They're hard to sort of keep into a box. It's like a puddle spreading across the counter. You can kind of block it and redirect it, but it's not easy to necessarily put those things in a box and say these are neat and tidy, and here's the bow. But I would submit to you that those are the margins in which we can make strides that people who don't work on their craft are not making. And that's what makes you better. And remember that when we stack little things and we get better at them incrementally, we can look back in a few years and say I increased my expected value because of working on my nominations, and therefore my auction game is four point four percent better this year than it was two years ago. So now instead of a roster that I think can be a ninety six out of one hundred, that roster is a ninety two a couple years ago, and this year you made it a ninety six.
Speaker 1: So the reason that these.
Speaker 2: Skills are so difficult is because they take time and because mastering them does involve a little bit of risk at times, and it involves an understanding of the draft room that not everybody has. And if you don't have it, that's okay, because the only way to get it is to recognize that you don't have it, or to recognize what it is that you need to be working towards in order for the skills to be something that you can say you own so these elite skills are important because I've picked out five of them that I believe you have to have, and if you don't possess them already or you don't know how to work on them today, that's what we get to talk about. And then what I want you to do is, let's say that you've only done three auctions in your life. I don't want you to go into your auction draft room and go, I have to do these five things this year. That is not how it works. You need to be comfortable with your ability to handle an auction draft room before you can start working on some of this stuff, because not all of this stuff is possible for you to do. You're just in your fourth auction of your life and you're just trying to keep up, and you're just trying to enter the numbers and keep people cap straight and keep your own par sheets straight, and figure out what the heck you're supposed to be doing on your next nomination. That's okay if you're still at that level, don't worry about it, but you still need to listen to this episode because until you try to incorporate some of this stuff, you'll never get past, Hey, I'm boringly good. And remember what we talked about last week when we talked about the fourteen guys that can unlock your auctions. We talked about unlocking your ceiling. And I made the poker analogy of opening your three bet range and starting to unlock the ceiling for your big hands. And you need to unlock your auction draft ceiling. And you do that with these skills because you can be good and get good results, or you can be great and get elite results.
Speaker 1: So if you.
Speaker 2: Can't incorporate these things yet, you can start to work on them. And that's how skills work. You can just kind of chip away at it. Well, I'm going to do a little bit better with this, and I'm going to do a little bit better with this. But if you don't think about it, and you don't hear it from me, and you don't say, okay, these are things I can think about, then you'll never get better. You'll never start to work on it. You'll always be Okay, Well, I can vary my nominations, Okay, cool, Well, everybody can do that. I can do that in four seconds. A billy goat can do that, Okay, by walking over to a random nomination and picking a player out of a hat. So refining those skills is what makes you elite, and working on them even when you think that, hey maybe I'm not quite ready, or hey maybe I can't work on those all Now, that's okay. You work on a little of it, You work on a little part of it, you work on three of the five, you work on one of the five. You work on little parts of each of the five. All right, So I hope I'm making that point well, even though I'm kind of rambling a little bit because I kind of want to hit it from different angles so that you understand. This is not hard and fast stuff like, hey, you're going to suck this year if you don't do these things. But I think you have to start working on them. Let's get to point number one. Of the five elite auction skills you need. The first one is one that I think you're going to probably say, hey, yeah, I know what he's talking about here, but I don't think that you necessarily do. And so I want you to think about that a little bit as we talk about all five of these, because not everyone is going to be exactly where you think. I'm going to go with it. You know, I'm going to talk about nominations. Oh here he goes about nominations again. But we're talking elite stuff here. We're talking about stuff that's the top of the auction game.
Speaker 1: So stick with me here.
Speaker 2: When I give you my tag, it may not go where you think it does, all right, So number one is picking your plan, building your par sheet, but picking your plan, and I give it that tag because all of your skills flow from your ability to figure out what's going on in that draft room. And so I need to remind you of something that the par sheets were building have a couple different goals, because yes, I think it's the most effective guide for an auction draft room, and I love the par sheet, but it's not just a guide, Okay, it is not. It serves another purpose. And that's how we start today's point about picking your plan, because par sheets themselves are a constant referendum on your ability to know what is happening in your particular draft room. And that changes from room to room. Right if you go into your ten team home league or your fourteen team expert league, or your half PPR league versus your full PPR league, your six point passing touchdown versus your four point passing touchdown.
Speaker 1: All of that stuff changes.
Speaker 2: Right, And so the referendum is on you to not know the settings and the skills or the settings and the scoring that you need to be successful, but also what is happening in your room, and that is what makes it an elite skill. So the par sheet is a referendum on your ability to predict what's going to happen in the room. That's tough, right, That's why it's elite. How can you predict what's going to happen? Because let me tell you how that looks in practical use here. Okay, let's make this crispy. Your par sheet is your attempt to predict what the players you want will go for in the auction room. And here's the example I'm going to use. If you believe that you don't want one of the top receivers, one of the top five or six guys, but that you want to drop down a little bit of a tier and you want to go for the AJ Brown, Drake London types, and so you say, hey, I think I want to go for Drake London, but I'm going to go, you know, for that range. Of course, we never want to dial in just one player that we want, but I want to go in that range.
Speaker 1: And then you.
Speaker 2: Put on your power sheet that your wide receiver one is going to be forty six dollars. Now, think about a typical draft room. I'm not talking about all the different variations that we have where that can change, but think about a typical draft room where Drake London is nominated. How often do you think he goes for forty six dollars? Almost never, write in typical rooms, he's not seen as that type of player. Now, again, different settings can affect this, and blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: I understand.
Speaker 2: So we have to give examples where we're kind of talking in a vacuum and that's not how auctions work. We get that, But suspend your disbelief for a second, and let's say you write down forty six dollars for your wide receiver one. Well, of course you're going to get Drake London for forty six dollars, right, because that's a poor price that you're aiming at, unless your league is somehow just all excited about wide receivers, which, now maybe that looks good, But in a typical room you really want him for, you should really write on your sheet thirty nine bucks, right, or you should write forty or forty one at the most.
Speaker 1: But forty six it's not a good target, right.
Speaker 2: You're not predicting what that player is going to be had for in the room. You're just over way overshooting it. What good does that do you to consistently be off in your predictions? And if you're going to know that you didn't do something right. If you walk into your draft room and you have written down I want to spend forty six dollars on my RB one, but I wanted to be Kyen Williams, Well that's that's kind of dumb, right. But also if you said I want to spend forty six and you have to spend fifty nine, or you spend thirty three, you're off thirteen bucks. You didn't do something right, okay. And that's what happened to me in The King's Classic, where I said I want to spend thirty two of my Wide Receiver one, I spent forty nine. Now that was just a decision I made to go for an elite player. Now that there's a difference between spending because you see an opportunity and consistently just misvaluing the players. I thought, I'm on Raj's price for forty nine dollars was okay, even though it screwed me on my par sheet. There's a difference between Hey, I spent up or I got a deal so I completely changed my par sheet. There's a difference between that and you being unable to figure out what the room's about to do. How well you know your league and then revising that opinion every year is the entire game, Okay, that's the game following the trends year to year. Even my home league that I've been doing for twenty five years, there are still trends that develop every year. People come into the draft with a different idea of what they're going to do every year, and so you have to follow those trends, and you have to look back three, four or five years. How's my league going to react? Each year? In your league is not a self contained bubble, right, It's not just a hey, I'm doing that this year and then forget about it.
Speaker 1: You have historical.
Speaker 2: Trends, and so your ability to pick a plan that's good for that league tells you how good you're getting in the room, and that's why it's an elite skill. And I really believe that I've gotten better at this in the last three to four years, and I think I've gotten significantly better at it because I used to just build my par sheet's like this is what I want to do, and that's not what we're doing. We're doing it based on what we think we can do, what can we achieve, and that's how we're unlocking our ceiling, right We're unlocking the ceiling by saying I think I can get X, Y and Z players if everything goes perfect. It's not going to go perfect. But when you build a perfect plan, even when it doesn't go correctly, then you know you've got your lead dialed in and then you know how you can take advantage of the league. So this is a really important one and that's why I led with it. I think that the most elite thing you can do is to nail your par sheet numbers so well that when you walk in you get certain guys within a couple bucks of what you wanted to pay for them. That's how you know that you really are in tune with what's going on in that draft room. And you're going to be in new league sometimes where you're not to be able to figure that out. But your goal then is to figure out what you didn't know ahead of time and to adjust on the fly as the draft, starting off in the first one, two, three rounds, because that stuff's going to be how you make or break your auction, and you can't just be like, well, I do know the league, okay, so your party it's going to be off that year. But if you get back in that league, you need to dial it in closer, and then every year after that you dial in that sheet closer and closer. So your ability to predict what's going to happen in the room is influenced by not only the scoring and the lineup settings, but how well you know the league and the league tendencies through the history of the league. You must get into this stuff or you'll never be the league. The second auction draft skill that I believe is an elite skill to unlock your ceiling is that you have to play players. You have to play humans. This is a very human exercise. Snake drafts lack any reading of people that actually really matters. You just wait and see who they're gonna pick. You don't have to play off of them. Now, you do have to play off of them from the standpoint that, hey, is this run gonna happen?
Speaker 1: Is this?
Speaker 2: But you don't play off of other humans when you're actually making your pick or when you're actually watching them pick. It's just an exercise. And okay, now I'm rebounding off of them. But in an auction, there's all kinds of human dynamics at play. And until you know how to read humans and how to play them while you're in the middle of the auction, you'll never be elite. You have to work on this stuff. And I'll say it again when I have the conversation about gut all the time. It's something that sticks with people, and I want you to listen to me one more time this summer. Gut is not wild ass guessing. Gut is not Hey, he I thought he was gonna do it and then he did it. No, that's not a thing you have to say. I thought he was gonna do it for X, Y, and Z reasons and then he did it. Or I thought he was going to do it for these reasons and then he did not do it. And that involves thinking about it after the fact. Just like in point number one, you don't go into an auction, screw up your parshy and go back to the drawing board. See you in twenty twenty seven. No, you have to revise what you're doing. In same thing with humans, you have to figure out what they did after the fact to see if you were right or not. So many people skip that part of it and that drives me nuts. You can't skip the last part because you have to think about why was I wrong?
Speaker 1: Why was I right?
Speaker 2: Was my reason correct? You know the old Simpsons episode about when they saw a bear in town and then they you know, they pulled out the bear patrol and Lisa's like, uh, that's not the reason there's no bears. There's just not any bears in the springfield. And then she says, well, you know, that'd be like me saying that I have this rock and it keeps tigers away. And Homer's like, tell me more about this rock, and she's like, well, let me, do you see any tigers?
Speaker 1: And he's like, hmm, good point.
Speaker 2: I mean, you get it right that So sometimes you're gonna think he's about to do this, and then he does it, but your reason for thinking that he was about to do that is wrong. Like you weren't even right about it. You were just that's just like being like, oh, I'm out on this player. Then he gets hurt and you're like, see, well that's not a thing. You have to be right for the right reason, and you have to be wrong. Sometimes you're going to be right and that results still wrong. Okay, I'm confusing you here, but just remember you have.
Speaker 1: To look for the result.
Speaker 2: What was my impression, what was my thought? Be intentional about naming a thing that you think is gonna happen and then seeing whether it happens. I think there's a lot of different things that this unlocks. So playing against humans is and I talk about all the time about the levels of price enforcing, and playing against humans takes you to another level. Because level number one is market price enforcing. We've talked about that when players are just too cheap and you're making sure that you bid to get the price up there, and then you're backing out or you're getting a really good deal because you decided to enforce and the league that you have them. But then the next level of that is making human plays is playing off of what people are doing. I really believe that playing humans is one of the last things that you add to your auction skill set. It's hard, It's really hard, and especially behind a computer. If you're in an online auction, you can get an impression of people, though, you really can if you pay attention to their bidding patterns and how they act. And is this person impatient? Do they type in forty five when beijeon comes up? Are they annoyed that it's taking too long?
Speaker 1: Hey? Whatever?
Speaker 2: Were gonna have a break or no, I don't want to break like I gotta get done. I gotta go to work tomorrow. They say things that tell you things. Are you paying attention to the things they're saying. People are gonna tell you what they are. They're gonna tell you how they're gonna act. They're gonna tell you. They're gonna say stuff. Hey, I've been drinking and went to dinner with the wife, had two bottles of wine. Let's get it going, boys. They just told you something. Most people are not sitting down in a room and trying to throw out false tales. I promise you, even the best of the best they're not doing that. So watch them and you can use that humanity against them to bid them up. And I tell you all the time, don't do it unless you're really comfortable with it. And I'm gonna give you the caveat again, don't do it unless you're really comfortable. You have to be comfortable that you know that person really well. Pay attention to certain types of guys, rhythm bidders, Guys that you can get into a rhythm with them and they'll just go with you twenty one, twenty two, twenty three. They get into a rhythm and they keep going. Look at managers who have a change in behavior. That's when we've talked about in previous summers. You can go back and listen to that stuff. But a change in behavior is a huge tell. Is there a guy joking around with somebody next to him and then a players called out and he's quiet, starts paying attention. Well, what do you think he thinks something about that player?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: That player is important to him for some reason. Change in behavior is huge. How about the table captain. You ever set at a poker table and somebody sits down and they just immediately start raising and going crazy and calling people and forcing the action. They consider themselves to be the table captain. They're a really aggressive personality. You're going to see aggressive personalities. Use that against him. Let their aggression be their undoing. Let them get into some heavy bidding early on, and then just stop. Stick him with people, take him out, Take him out. They got two hundred bucks like everyone else, They want to run around being a menace and thrown up forty three bucks and every player that goes because they think it's gonna go for more.
Speaker 1: Stop. Let them have a player for forty three bucks. Let them get a little bit of a deal.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what so they got aj Brown for forty two when he should be forty six, So what, let him have him. They're gonna do that twice and all of a sudden they're gonna be out. They're gonna have forty two bucks left and need fourteen players.
Speaker 1: Let them do it.
Speaker 2: Use their aggression against them. How about the guys that just nominate people they like They really like players, right, how about guys that like players from certain colleges.
Speaker 1: There's used to.
Speaker 2: Play in a league with a girl who liked Alabama players. You knew when an Alabama player came up it was gonna be an inflated price. Use it against them. That's their problem, right, that's not your problem. This is the game. Use those human tells. Take their money. That's how you become elite. Take their freaking money. Force them to be on all the time. You want them to be uncomfortable. If you know, for example, that a player is gonna go for thirty bucks and the bid is twenty, then you need to say twenty one immediately. Why let me ask you this. What's more comfortable When the bid is yours and you just get to sit there and you get the player for the price you want, or when the bid is on someone else and the clock's ticking down and you have to decide whether you're going to act. If you're the one who's always acting, you're the one who's always uncomfortable. If you're the one who always knows and is just sitting there waiting for the other person to act, you're the comfortable one. You're the one who gets to sit back and say, are they going to bid again? So let's say that you know this player is worth thirty bucks and it's twenty you should say twenty one immediately, because then that person is always on, and you know what that does to them? Not only does it make them uncomfortable, it pisses them off. They get frustrated. Right, So you say twenty one quickly and then they wait and wait and wait, going once, going twice, and they say twenty two. Then you go twenty three, twenty four, twenty five. It's gonna bug them first of all because you one up them immediately and irritate them. But on top of that, you know that you're gonna pay up to thirty bucks for this player, So why would you wait?
Speaker 1: Why would you wait?
Speaker 2: Making them always beyond makes them uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: When you're the one who.
Speaker 2: Gets to sit back, you're the comfortable one. This is human psychology. If you don't use human psychology in your auction game, you will never be elite. The third auction skill that I believe unlocks your ceiling is talking about options, having options, And what do I mean by having options? Well, I believe that the way that you unlock the best rosters is to never bid yourself or nominate yourself.
Speaker 1: Into a corner.
Speaker 2: The best auction players always leave themselves out at various points during the auction. It's just like the best poker players don't ever paint themselves into a corner where the only move is a wild all in bet. And if you're consistently finding yourself unable to react, unable to bid on players that you should be bidding on, unable to execute your par sheet, then you're probably not leaving yourself very many options throughout the draft. So becoming an elite auction drafter is about knowing when to pass and knowing when to preserve your flexibility and the options that you have in front of you. Now, I don't want you to consider this a blanket rule, because you know as well as I do that there are certain times when you have to strike, when you have to act, and you have to spend some money, and that limits your options for a little while. But the more you limit the options that you have, the less you can work the room. Did you immediately pay for Jamior Gibbs and you paid sixty eight dollars? You limited your options there for a while?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Did you pay twenty four dollars for Colston Loveland when he was the first tight end up? You limit your options? And why does that matter? Well, twenty four may end up being a good price for Colston Loveland. But what if brock Bauers goes for twenty nine? What if he goes for thirty one. Now you may think, okay, I still like my twenty four, but my point being, Bowers is a thirty five to forty dollars player this year, and he just went way under that for whatever reason. But you didn't have the option to bid because you already had Loveland.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: What if you took a deal when you had three roster spots left and you had thirty one bucks left, but you took a deal on a six dollars player because you thought, oh what a great deal. You just limited your options. Now you've only got two roster spots left, you got thirty one bucks, or you know whatever, you paid six bucks, you got twenty five bucks.
Speaker 1: You don't have enough. There's not enough.
Speaker 2: Players left to spend, so you limited your options. If you're low on money, if you take yourself out of the draft and you can't price en force, you can't take deals. Okay, Well, look, sometimes you got to overpay for elite talent. I get that, but I think more often than not, what I'm talking about here with options is sometimes it's okay. Passing is the play. Many times it is and it feels weird in the moment, like, gosh, I should have been on that, but it would have limited my options too much.
Speaker 1: And that's okay.
Speaker 2: Let the deal go because it limits your flexibility. And most of the time, what I'm talking about here is taking deals on replacement level players or marginal deals. So why take a great deal on Quintin Johnston. I like the player, but why take a great deal on Quinton Johnston. He's a marginal player. He's a replacement level player for fantasy football purposes. How about think about like this, What if you paid twenty five dollars for Jalen Waddle. You had twenty three dollars allotted on your par sheet, and you take Wattle for twenty five because you think that's a reasonable deal. But you've done two things there. You went two dollars over, which is okay sometimes, but then also you did it to take a deal that's marginal. It's a one to three dollars deal. I mean, it's a lot more than a twenty six to twenty nine dollars player. Not really, So you got it for twenty five, Okay, Well that's not bad, And maybe it's what works for your par sheet, and maybe that's what you need it at that time. Maybe things are becoming scarce again auctions. You can't think about the infinite variables. But the point is this is kind of an example. It's like, well, did that help me? Is that exactly what my part she needed? Maybe it is, or maybe you limited your options there for a player that you didn't really get that great of a deal on. You have to jump in sometimes and sometimes by taking whatever deals or by landing the players that you want to land, you are going to shut off part.
Speaker 1: Of the draft.
Speaker 2: But part of being elite is recognizing when you do it, is recognizing that you are shutting off part of the draft and what does that do for your nomination strategy and how you attack the rest of the draft. We're going to hit that in just a minute in inflection points, because once you do that, once you land a player, you shut off a portion of your draft, You shut off a portion of the options. I'm not saying to not do it. I'm saying to recognize it and then recognize the effect it has on your ability to move forward. All right, let's talk about number four, and number four is one that I know that you're going to have the temptation to turn your brain off when you hear me say it. But folks, nominations.
Speaker 1: Are the key. And it's the key for two reasons.
Speaker 2: One because you're going to be better out than everybody, but two because people don't really care about it. So there's like a golf there that develops because of their and your enthusiasm. So let's say that you both start out as auction drafters. You're both a five okay on a scale of one to ten, and your nomination strategy is just right up the middle. You're a five, they're a five, and they don't really They get into the draft and every move they make moves that meter up and down. That's a good nomination. Okay, Now you're a six or seven, that's a bad nomination. Now you're a three or a two. Let's say that we get to the end of the draft. A lot of people are gonna be just a flat out one or they're gonna be like negative by the end of the draft because they didn't do anything with their nominations. And the reason I say that is because if you are gaining positive expected value with your nominations, your rating goes up from five, theirs goes down. The golf widens because they don't use it and you do. And it's not just hey, I got better, they're still a five and now I'm a seven. Now they're like a two now and you're a nine. So the golf widens by how much you use your nomination strategy. And I don't want to talk about being variable here because that's so simple. Like a monkey could do that, all right, a monkey could not, you know, vary their nominations. And we know that you have to do that. You have to nominate people you like and you have to nominate people you don't. And we talked about like, hey, early on we nominate the targets in the middle rounds, we might be nominating players that you know, we want other people to spend money on because we're waiting on certain players. You know, later we want to fill people's rosters. Right, we've done all that, But how is how do you become elite? Okay, three ways that I want you to become elite and think about becoming elite with your nominations. Number one is stopping runs, all right, stopping positional runs and stopping value related runs. Positional runs are you know people all of a sudden woke up and realized that tight ends exist in this auction. You had nominated any of them through two and a half rounds, and all of a sudden, brock Bowers goes and a couple of you know players later tradement, Brian gets nominated. If you're sitting there wanting Colston leveland or you want Tucker Kraft, or you want Tyler Warren and all these elite guys are going off the board, you got to stop that tight end run, right, And I think the best way to do that is to cool the room down again. And I want to go then choose an elite player at a different position. So there's a bit of a time between that last nomination and the next one. So, okay, you really want Tyler Warren. A couple tight ends just went. How do I change it up?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Well, let's see AJ Brown is still available. So I'm gonna go over and I'm going to nominate AJ Brown and I'm going to let that bidding go. I'm gonna let it go a little bit slower than I normally won. So everybody can calm down about tight ends. Tight ends can fall out of their head. They're going to think about aj Brown for a while, and then when the next person nominates, they're less likely to go back to that positional group that you were worried about. So nominations can serve to stop positional runs. You can attempt to turn everybody's heads in a different direction with your nomination. It's also a value related nomination. Sometimes people are just running away with the spending or they're not. You need to heat the spending up, or you need to calm it down. Sometimes this is just hey, we're nominating all elite players, Like everybody chill. Here's Jordan Addison for.
Speaker 1: You to chew on.
Speaker 2: There are ways that you can influence the runs that are happening, either value wise or positional. All right, So stopping runs is an elite way for you to think about your nominations. The second elite way to think about nominations is beating scarcity. And this doesn't seem elap but I promise you it is. And you know a quick word here about tears. We work on our tiers all summer long, and they're really important. And let me just say, by the way, my tears and auction values will be out here in the next couple of days.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry for the delay.
Speaker 2: I'm just too busy and that's something really important and I'm sorry it's not out there yet, but it will be out there soon. And beating scarcity is interesting because a lot of times you can have tiers and you can think, hey, this is the end of a tier. But other people have different ideas and they think, now I can wait on different players, and sometimes you'll see prices you don't expect because your tears are just flat out different for the people. So remember that. But in general, beating scarcity is something that you can predict. You can see that stuff coming and you have to beat this scarcity. And a lot of times people are going to be like, oh, well, there's four wide receiver twos left, I'm not nominated one of them. Well, no, you can't wait, because you're going to get caught up there and you're going to have to pay too much. You need to get one of those guys out there quickly and then land them. That's an instant, that's an emergency in that situation because you have to beat that scarcity. So that's a second way we can be elite in our nominations is realizing that waiting is not how we play the game. The final way that I would say that we haven't talked about a lot is there's oftentimes going to be the hammer in the room and it's not you, and you need to get used to the idea of trying to hammer the hammer because that person's holding all the money and you need to go and say, what do they need? What is their roster lacking right now? Who may they be sitting on. There's certain people that you can say, hey, look, this person is waiting on this last player, or this guy's an Eagles fan and he's waiting on Davante Smith, whatever the case may be. You got to get him out there. And one of the things I want you to get in the habit of remembering is don't sit there and dream about that last player on the board when you don't have the hammer. All right, Let's say we get late into the draft and Terry mclaurin's still hanging out there. He shouldn't be out there, and he's a twenty seven dollars player normally, but he's going to go for nineteen or twenty now because it's too late. Now you don't necessarily have the money to compete with the hammer.
Speaker 1: Sit there and just say.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna wait on Terry McLaurin and I'm gonna get them later, because you know what's gonna happen. You're not gonna get them, and then you're gonna have passed on deals that were good for your team at that point. So you need to stop dreaming about that last player on the board when somebody has the hammer. Instead, you need to nominate that player so that the hammer has to use their hammer. Remember how we talked about that. When you use the hammer a lot of times, you lose it, and that's what you have to do. You have to hammer the hammer sometimes. So there are elite ways that you can start working on your nominations. There are simple ways. We talked about those all summer long. Elite nomination strategy goes further. It uses your human tells, it uses your playing against humanity, and we're gonna stop runs, we're gonna stop positional runs, we're gonna beat the scarcity. We're gonna hammer people that need to be hammered. That's how nominations can become an elite asset to you rather than and just who's the top guy left on the board? All right, that's number four. Let's talk about number five. Number five is my favorite one, and it's a topic we haven't talked about at all this summer, and that is inflection points. And inflection points are hard to talk about on the show. And I know I spent a couple summers ago an entire episode on it, and I had intended to do that again this summer, but I think this is a better way to do it, because this is how I want to end, mostly end the conversation this summer on the auction brief before we get to the manifesto. Because inflection points are one of the most difficult things to point out and one of the most difficult things to read in the moment.
Speaker 1: When they're happening.
Speaker 2: And that's why it's an elite skill, because you need lots and lots of raps to figure out the inflection points. And a lot of times you're going to be wrong on the inflection points.
Speaker 1: And what do we do?
Speaker 2: Everybody say it with me, We go back and look and see whether our predictions about the inflection points.
Speaker 1: Were right or not.
Speaker 2: You can't do it without that last step. Don't forget. You can't do it without the last step of examining whether you were right or not. What is an inflection point? I say it all the time in an auction draft. It just means that the room shifted and things are going to change. You have to be able to predict those things as an elite auction drafter, and not only that, you have to be able to see them coming and act on them in a timely manner. But I don't just want to talk about inflection points in the room, because I believe the real elite skill here is personal inflection points, and the intersection of the two is how you become the best of the best. We talked a little bit about the King's Classic Room, where I thought that the spending was really disciplined in the room and we were going to see a spike in prices at some point.
Speaker 1: We did see that.
Speaker 2: It took a little while longer than I thought, but we saw it, you know, in the Hoary Cap sum at the other night, the Superflex auction.
Speaker 1: I thought that people spent a.
Speaker 2: Little bit too high on the position groups early on, and note enough money went to the quarterback market. If I were in that room, i'd have five quarterbacks coming out of that draft because people weren't respecting the quarterback position in a superflex. So you can see that kind of stuff happening. But that's a room inflection point. That's an entire league inflection point. You can't just operate off of league inflection points because sometimes it doesn't matter for your roster. Right Why would it matter that the room is suddenly about to pay a bunch of money for wide receivers if your roster already has your wide receivers. It's the intersection of the inflection point in the room with your inflection points on your roster that lead to elite results. So let me leave you this episode with a hypothetical that I think might make your brain scramble a little bit, but I want you to understand that it is incredibly complicated. At the same time, you don't have to psych yourself out by saying, boy, that's too hard for me to learn. What you have to do is say I will get there someday because I am paying attention to all those factors. Maybe I'm not able to assimilate them perfectly, yet maybe I'm not able to weave them together perfectly. Yet maybe I'm not able to say, hey, these variables bounce off each other in this predictable way. Yet, But the fact that you're thinking about it means you're training yourself and you're developing. That was a really sweet drum roll? Did you guys like that? Let me do it again, you guys, you guys like that? So drum roll please? What are we developing here? We're developing our gut and not always do we have to sit around and go, this is happening, and this is happening, and this is happening, and I am able to elaborate that these three factors exist in the room. That's not what it's about. It's about training your brain to figure this stuff out on the fly. And pretty soon you're having gut calls and you're saying, hey, I think this is about to happen, and that gut call is correct because of your skill and experience, attention to detail and working on the skills. So the hypothetical goes like this. Let's say that your plan was to spend a little bit of money at RB two, and you have twenty eight dollars on your par sheet for your RB two. Your plan was to spend in the upper thirties at wide receiver one, but you overspent on your wide receiver one significantly, so you're behind your par sheet. There are still plenty of wide receiver twos available, guys like Terry McLaurin, Ted McMillan's, guys like that. And when I say plenty of let's say that there's four or five wide receiver twos left in the room. And let's say also that your room has been a little timid on the spending at wide receiver two.
Speaker 1: So guys that are.
Speaker 2: Normally twenty six twenty seven to twenty eight dollars players, maybe they've been going for twenty four or twenty five or twenty three. It's just been a little bit cool in the room towards wide receiver twos. Now you also notice in the room that the money's starting to come down. But there is a reasonable amount of money on most rosters, somewhere between forty and seventy bucks. You're getting some maximum bids that are starting to get lower because people need thirteen players on their roster still.
Speaker 1: But you're getting fairly deep.
Speaker 2: Into the draft and you're realizing that the money is starting to dry up. Just a little bit. Set this scene with all of these factors in your head, and then Derrick Henry is nominated record scratch. What do you do? The hypothetical is this, there are some wide receiver twos left, but the wide receiver twos spending has been a little bit cool. You wanted to spend upper thirties on a wide receiver one, but you overspent was to spend twenty eight dollars on an RB two. Derrick Henry's up. What do you do? The decision that you make in this moment is a personal inflection point because Derrick Henry ends up going for thirty one dollars. That's a pretty good price in some rooms. Dereck Henry is going for twenty nine dollars. You had allotted twenty eight, but you're behind your parshet and you're thinking to yourself, I could make up some money at wide receiver too or RB two, and now Derrick Henry staring me in the face as a good value. Do I take Derrick Henry as my RB two. That is a personal inflection point for your roster. And the reason it happens that way is because there's a marriage of your personal inflection point and the point in the room, Well, what's the point in the room. The point in the room is that the market is about to see a spike at wide receiver two. Right, because the spending has been a little bit cool so far, scarcity is starting to creep in. It's not there yet, but it's starting to creep in. But if you take Derrick Henry and you already overspent for your wide receiver one, you're taking yourself off the board for those remaining wide receiver twos. Right, You're shutting off that portion of the draft for yourself. So there's a personal inflection point for your roster as well as the league. You have to marry those two wide receiver two prices are about to go up. Do I want to wait on Derrick Henry and say somebody else can have a deal because I need to pull money off of RB two or wide receiver two? Which one am I pulling money off of to make my par sheet work? Because I'm already behind from my overspend on wide receiver one. Do you see how all these things are in a circle. It's just circle. You run around and around and around in your head, and when Derrick Henry comes up that will dictate how your draft goes forward. If you land him, you shut yourself off of the wide receiver twos that are left. If you don't land him, you need to go then and nominate one of those wide receiver toos and land them. Do you see how that influences the decisions that you have to make, because you can't pass on Henry and then go pass on the wide receiver twos if they get expensive. You made that decision, and if the spike happens before you can do anything about it, then you may have to overpay because that's the corner you painted yourself into. That's the decision you made. That's all right, and sometimes it's not going to work right, and that's when mistakes happen. But that's not a mistake that you can foresee. It's a call you made at the time. Hey, I don't want to bid on Henry because I think the wide receiver twos are the prices are too low. I want to get one of those guys. But before you can get to him, the price goes up. That's not your fault. You still had a reason it didn't work, but you figured out why it didn't work. Think about all those factors. What is the market about to do? Did it do that? What can I do to react against the market? And then when I do, what does that mean for my roster? The marriage of the inflection points in the room with your personal inflection points is how you make elite decisions in an auction draft rum. All right, folks, I think that is it for today. I think we have talked long enough for getting close to an hour here. But don't forget that. You don't have to have all these skills right now. You just need to start working on them. And the five elite auction skills I want you to start working on are picking your plan, playing against humanity, playing human tells, leaving yourself options as you move throughout the auction, developing elite nomination skills, and recognizing in inflection points for your roster and in the league, and marrying those two things to give you elite auction results. Thank you so much for joining me for another auction brief episode solo on the MIC. I hope you enjoyed the five eleague auction the skills that you need to have. Next week we bring it all home. Next week we're going to synergize everything that we've learned this summer in an auction manifesto that walks you through an auction draft and how you should be approaching your twenty twenty six auctions, my master auction Plan, the Auction Manifesto. Next week we wrap up the summer of the Auction Brief and we go back to work talking about how to win our titles throughout the season instead of throughout draft season. But hey, just because the Auction Brief ends does not mean the content ends for the summer. You can find me on Twitter at Drew Davenport FF. You can find me on the Patreon network at the Fantasy Football Lawyer. You can still reach out and talk to me about auctions anytime you want, and believe me, folks, a lot of people do. And I just want to tell you if you've ever written me a message or set me a DM on Patreon and I haven't written you back. Number one, I'm probably still planning to do that. I'm going to try to work through that stuff this week. But also number two, I see your messages. I try to get to them, but the anxiety I have from the forty or fifty or sixty messages that I have hanging out there. I tell you what, it's off the charts, but I'm doing my best to get to all that stuff. So hang tight. I am here for the long haul to help you win fantasy football titles this year. The draft is just the first part. Stick with me all season long. We are going to win some fantasy games, all right.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to.
Speaker 2: Use your code Auction Brief at FJA Fantasy Sports and get those auction draft boards ordered.
Speaker 1: Folks.
Speaker 2: It is that time of year, drafts are starting. I'm making par sheets. Now's not the time to slack off. Now is the time to bring your energy level up and get ready to go. Put in the work. I promise you'll see the results. Thank you so much for joining me. It's been another fun episode of the Auction Brief. I hope you enjoyed it. And the Auction Brief is adjourned and I am out. The Auction Brief is adjourned. That'll do it for this week's episode. See you next time on the Auction Brief