Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of the Gingers in dot Net. I'm John Klebby. Your host with me today is Caleb Wells.
Speaker 2: Hey y'all. How's it going?
Speaker 1: Hey y'all?
Speaker 2: So you and I Yeah, Hey, that right, the original two amigos. It's been a fun ride so.
Speaker 1: Far, I think so. I mean we're a little past a year when we first started. Yeah, I think you know that we're getting more listeners. So thanks to all the people that are out there, it's doing great. We hope that you're enjoying the show and you know, keep up the listening, spread the word and give us feedback.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, So what do you.
Speaker 1: Want to cover today? It's just you and me. We don't have a guest to talk about.
Speaker 2: So figured we could talk a little bit about my new job. Not the company or the clients, but the code right. I have come into a fairly well developed application. They've been working on it for maybe nine months or something like that. But everything is in net right, which is our wheelhouse, and it's all in VC. You know, it's all Azure and some of the stuff is you know, stuff that I haven't worked with in a while, or we're with at all. So it's been it's been interesting to kind of come back into this realm where front end middleware back in the whole deal is all Microsoft products.
Speaker 1: So the entire stack. No, no front end frameworkscript framework R in it.
Speaker 2: No Angular, No, well not not in this project. Well we'll see going down the road there the company work forward there there honestly the pretty technology agnostic and so you know, I've been told that, you know, if another project comes along and I move to that, I can choose. But that's when they just choose to stick with I guess Microsoft, because they're using a lot of the Azure data analytics and data storage stuff. So they're using data Lake and power Bi and some Synaptics stuff, a bunch of stuff that I'm still digging into and learning. But the application, you know, is your typical class libraries, an NVC web app, and then a Blazer admin app, which I figured you would you get kick out of. Yeah, laser service side, okay, but yeah, you know, like like I said, they're they're pretty like you know, hey, if you can get to work and or any problems, you can use whatever tech you want.
Speaker 1: How they helding state on the admin I guess that it's it's admin. It's not such a big deal if that it's not it's change reset does have any issues.
Speaker 2: Okay, Right up until this last sprint, admin was only accessible by people at my company, not any of the client users. I actually spent this sprint changing that to set up permissions and access because they want to start letting some of their users into the admin site. But again, like you said, it's not it's not public facing, so that that's not not such a big concern. But I thought we could talk a little bit about m VC, and I don't you know, I don't know how significant these changes are in the past year, and for people who have been using it all along, they may not be it changes at all. But one of the things that I found really interesting is the Razor pages right, which is not it's not the original way in NVC right, which you've got separate classes and then separate HTML views right with Razor in them. It's not Blazer right, which has got all of kind of a MISSI mash inside of their own files. This is very similar to the old school code behind right, where you have a c S HTML and then you have a little arrow and you click the arrow and you get the code behind right, which at first it seems like maybe you're taking a step back, but once you start using it, it's really not the case. And one of the nice things is right, they're both there in the same place, easy, easily accessible. So but you know, dig in into that and that's been it's it's been interesting, but it's been good, you know, it's It definitely brings back memories.
Speaker 1: So it's all done. It's all done.
Speaker 2: Core yep, yep, all door, okap three point one, yes, three point one, okay, all right.
Speaker 1: Are they look going forward to dot net five coming out next month?
Speaker 2: I don't know that they're they're all that concerned about it, really. I'm looking forward to it. I think it'll be it'll be good. I don't know if this project will be transitioned and if it is when it's definitely kind of in a state of flux where we're having to add a lot of features and build on it and then go back and refactor the stuff we do wrong in the quirks and whatnot. But we'll see. I think dot net five is going to be great personally.
Speaker 1: I see I've seen the betas coming out for dot net five and been meaning this to fire something up and just kind of poke around a little bit and see, you know, how much does it feel different or is it just kind of just a normal evolution of dot net?
Speaker 2: Got you right? Right? Well, hopefully it won't fill that different. Yeah, yeah, because it feels different, then maybe they did something.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean C sharp nine things like that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, yeah, but you know, so I've been been digging into the razor pages and you know, having to tweak startup files and environment variables and all that kind of stuff that's you know, anciilaria, but takes up, you know, a day or two, right when you run into an issue. One of the other things that they're using fairly heavily is areas in NBC. And I know areas have been around for a while now, years, maybe even before that Core I'm not not positive on that. But with this application, it's multi tenant, right, so our client is basically reselling this. When they get a client of theirs come in, we basically add in appropriate areas and update the canfig files and spare everything up for this new tenant, right and that, and that's really a perfect use case for areas, right.
Speaker 1: So I've never used areas and I heard of them, but I don't really don't know how they're used. So for our listeners, you know, tell us what what an area is and you know what us for.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So so right in NBC, you have your your index and your underscore layout page and your view imports, and if you start all the all that stuff that combines to make paging in VC right, areas is basically an extension of that, and it sits on top of your base set up and your base layout and your base index right. And so the way that we have it set up is you come into the website, you know, at the base r L, and you're shown you know, kind of the marketing selling stuff, right. But if you update the sub domain on the RL for one of our tenants, then we've got it set up to where it will actually go look in the areas for the tenant folder in the areas for that tenant, and inside of there you have your own version of log and partial underscore layout, index view imports. You don't have to, but in our case the way that we've developed it, each tenant has their own. Once they're on look and feel right and they want to have their own splash images and their own branding and all that. And this is a good use case for areas. Right. You can have one hundred and you still have a base layout and base CSS that everything derives from, but you can then tweak it on a case by case basis.
Speaker 1: So areas are kind of a way to organize everything and make everything that's grouped together, kind of way for a encapsulation or separation of concerns, that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, right, because we don't want you to go to the website and get the look and feel and the info for one tenant on top of another. Right, And I'm sure there are obviously other ways areas can be used, but I just found this to be an interesting way that they've approached the multi tenant aspect of this application. So that was another thing that you know, I've dug into and picked up. One of the other interesting things that I'm having to do more of a deep dive into is power bi and power bi it's another Microsoft product. It's kind of like data analytics right on steroids.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: You have users that go in and they can pull information from database stores and they can build charts and graphs and filters and all this aggregation of data, which is really the big selling point of our application. This application in particular actually started out tracking and managing COVID data for different hospitals or publicly accessible data that we pulled in, you know, and aggregated into one place and were able to see some trends, you know, and long term data modeling right and powerbon works in a number of ways, but in order to provide it to end users or customers who don't necessarily have access to it without paying extra licenses, you have to jump through some hoops to embed it into a web page for the end user. And they've got you know, this long wiki and a lot of documentation all they've got a playground. But power Beyon, I think, really is one of their newer offerings, right like in just the last couple of years, and so it's continued to and their added functionality and things are changing and you know, you kind of have to work around some of the limitations. So one of the interesting things that they've done is they're actually so they've created a partial that's used by all these areas, and inside that partial, it has an embed tag in it which basically becomes an iframe, right. But in order to populate that IMPEG tag with the appropriate data based on tenant, right and keep that segregation, they've actually created a tag helper, which is a built in functionality in the VC, but it allows you to basically target certain elements and tell it what attributes to look for and how you're going to be providing those attributes. And so what they've got set up is when you go to a tenant and you then log in and you're presented with a list of all the reports they have access to. When they click on one of them, it then starts this task process acing and it starts to build the view context for that page, and in our case, it's building it and then it's getting values out of the tag helper context and then pushing them into the viewbag for that page, which is interesting. And then it's pulling those attributes out of the view bag and pushing them into the embed, which then caused power beyond it says okay, yeah, you're legit, and it loads up the associated report. So I thought that this is something I haven't dug into much and hadn't really seen used in this way, but it's it works really well, it's it's honestly very it's an elegant way of doing it because, right, you have one tag helper class that is extending the Microsoft tag helper. You have one partial that's being reused among all of the areas, and then you just have to you know, embed that partial in the appropect page in the areas and you're off and running some cool stuff there. So this is all Azure, right, Yeah, all the power beised stuff exists in Azure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything for this application is it Azure or is it a hybrid model?
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything's Nasu're sorry. Yeah, we have the admin app and the web app, their apps running in Azure as services. Yeah, it's yeah. Locally though, of course, I'm I'm you know, testing on my machine. One interesting thing that they've set up though, and you just made me think of this, is this app also uses Cosmos dB a good bit, right, which is no SQL. You know, that's the simplified it's no SQL. But we don't have a local developer Cosmos or SQL server or anything like that. They actually have it set up inside of Azure to use your local one two seven zero dot zero dot one, but then use our staging keys and data and Azure ties that all in so locally, I can do an F five spin up my DEV and have access to all the data in staging locally because they're not.
Speaker 1: Using any of the emulators using no.
Speaker 2: No. I don't know if it's something that's common in Azure, but it's something that my coworkers got up and running, and it makes developments so much simpler, right, because it's one less thing you have to worry about. It's all managed somewhere.
Speaker 1: Else, right. And the project that I'm using, we started out using Cosmos TV and we switched over to using blob storage really as the storage mechanism because it's blob starts is a lot cheaper than Cosmos. Yeah, but then we're we're using their emulators for doing local development work.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, if you want, you and I can talk more about this offline. But I thought that was interesting. I was like, Oh, that actually works. He's like yeah, yeah. The only downside is we don't actually have and maybe it's not a downside. We don't have a dev environment for Cosmos or for power for any of that stuff. We just have a staging and a production and devn staging use the staging and in our case that actually works out well because, like you said, this stuff is expensive, you know, tens of thousands of dollars a month depending on how you're using it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's yeah, it's my project.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: They've they've got week four different environments, you know, devs, a test stage, and a production type of type thing. And we're really looking at, you know, what is the most efficient use and that's why we went to you know, and we don't need that instant transaction ability that cosmosdb has that kind of load for the most part. If something comes to that point, we'll switch and use part Cosmo dB, but just using blob storage ends up working out well for us.
Speaker 2: Good, right, I guess a lot of it depends on the client too. Our client is not really concerned about money. Well, you know, as long as it's not one hundred thousand dollars a month, they're not contented.
Speaker 1: It's good to have clients like that, right, right.
Speaker 2: You know, that's actually one of the things my coworker said when I when I came on there, like, just so you know, this application is on the bleeding edge, right. Everything we're doing was either in preview or is still in preview, and so we're figuring it out as we go along. But I've been in it now for a month, and man, it works out well. The guys that I'm working with are smart, you know, they know what they're doing. They've you know, you have some red blocks and there's some things where you cut corners with the client. You come, I can clean it up, but oh no, it's it's well built and they've got a lot of the figured out, a lot of neat ways of utilizing the Microsoft Stack to benefit us in the client, you know, and have minimal time on, aren't you And you get a tenant spin up and it's not it's not a lot of rigmarole or a whole new application, right, So it's good.
Speaker 1: So you like the Bleeding Edge? Is that one of the things that kind of made you you don't want to switch?
Speaker 2: No, you know I switched because well it was it was time. You know. I like a challenge, right, Yes, I do like to push myself and I like figuring new things out. And I felt like I had kind of gotten in a bit of a runt, you know, I've gotten too comfortable in the last job. Bleeding Edge is nice as long as this not like cut your arteries, bleeding edge, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely know what you mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like bleeding edge as long as it works, it's production ready and there's enough documentation for me to figure it out.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: You don't have to be fully baked. It doesn't have to have you know, one hundreds of pages documentation. I just you know, you want a minimum, you have a minimum expectation of what it's going to do in a production environment, and then you know I can figure it out from there, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I gotta prefer to be on the cutting edge, not the not the bleeding edge, maybe the dull cutting edge.
Speaker 2: There you go, right, right, You're beyond web forms right at least for yep, yep.
Speaker 1: I am not working on web forms in my main position anymore right now. So I still do some side stuff that I've got to deal with the web forms, but I'm still trying to get out of those as quickly as possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, but no, it's amazing what you can do with just the net stack. And I guess you could really say that about anything, right if someone was a PHP wizard. It's like, it's amazing what you can do with PHP, right, But I don't do PHP. But you know, I think we've talked about this in previous episodes, where dot net is everywhere, right, and it just keeps, for lack of a better term, expanding and getting its tendrils and all these places you wouldn't necessarily expect Blazer, right, which to me makes the dot net framework that much more valuable for me, right because it is it is my primary stack, right, It's it's what I'm the most familiar with. It's where I have the most experience. And if I can just continue to bend on that, man, I'm roman are you doing testing?
Speaker 1: Are you doing tests, different development or anything along those lines.
Speaker 2: Not yet. Like I said, I think this project has been too little to bleeding edge. Right. The iterations are pretty quick, which is good, but right, TDD is something you need to practice at you you need time to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could really speak to that right now my current project. You know, I haven't done a lot of testing before, but they really want to do a lot for this and it's just I'm just finding that, you know, it takes me three four times as much time writing all the tests to get the code coverage and all the different things written, unit tests, integration tests, functional tests. You know, three or four times I'll spend a day working on the code and then three or four days working on the test for that code. It's like, man, that's a lot overhead, you know, so if you well make sure.
Speaker 2: Over time, it's worth it. Right, as long as they're good tests, they're not brittle, right, and you're actually you know, running them and using some kind of right continuous integration, they're absolutely viable, especially the larger application gets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm learning. I'm learning brand new patterns, you know, for writing code to make things that are testable, because you know, before in my code, I guess a lot of thing was probably a little too tightly coupled and I couldn't break it out and separate it to be tested. And you can't do that if you want to have good tests.
Speaker 2: Nope, Nope, you cannot.
Speaker 1: We're using the mock you framework and we're also using auto fixture with x units. So these are all new technologies that I haven't used it before. So it's it's interesting, but it's just it's right now. It's slow, you know, trying to figure out how that's done well.
Speaker 2: From the sound of you picked all good ones. I've used all those before as well. For instance, you know, and you it over ex Unit and in you it is great. But for for my needs and for the way I was testing and building things out, ex Unit was a better fit. So well, I think if you're good, we'll wrap up for day. We'll make this a short one, but we'll be back. Guys. Right, we're not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're not going anywhere. It's almost the holiday season. But we got some guests lined up, so stays tuned. Yep. Do you want to do picks? I can do it a quick pick. Okay, I think I'm going to pick drive in movie theaters. I remember they were. They were very common when I was a kid. My mom used to take me and my brother's out to them, things like that. You know. I also remember being a real little kid and some friends wanted to go to movies, and you know, they'd throw me down on the floor of the car and put a blanket over me so they don't have to pay for.
Speaker 2: Me to get in. Oh yeah, so.
Speaker 1: That kind of thing. But you know, it's it's a way to be social existence in these times and get out of the house. And watch something entertaining and still be safe, so good in movie theaters.
Speaker 2: Or my pick perfect, Well, my pick is run in line with what I've been talking about related for work. Then let me pick out my own PC as long as it was under two thousand dollars, and I ended up getting the HP Specter X three sixty and man, this thing is sweet and the display is ridiculous, so nice. Nice.
Speaker 1: I've got two Lenovos and one Dell laptop. Actually have three Lenovo's, one personal ones for my company that I work for, the other ones for a company that I'm working on a project that they got to have you know, security and things like that, so it's its own laptop. And then I have a a Dell for another project they're working on. So I've got two desktops and four laptops and they're all kind of they're all good. I've always had good luck with Lenovos, so those are good. But the Dell that I'm working on has been working just fine well as well. My desktop. I got an Alien War PC, so it's really souped up and ready, and I've got a VR headset on order, so now trying out some of that stuff.
Speaker 2: So well, you can never have too many PCs. That's right.
Speaker 1: Don't tell my WF.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll keep it between us, all right, all right, Sean, thanks Cab, Yeah, thank you, and we'll see y'all later.
Speaker 1: Yep. If you want to reach out to show you want to get in touch with me, get me on Twitter at dot net superhero. All right, thanks guys, we'll catch everybody on the next episode of Adventures in dot Net.