Speaker 1: It's Night's Eyes Dan, I'm going you Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much Medicine. As we move into a Monday night and another week of Nightside here on WBZ, Boston's News Radio ten thirty and your Am dow Rob Brooks is here. Rob is actually going to have a few nights off later this week. So if you want to talk to Rob tonight's the tomorrow night of the Night's to call. Other than that, he'll be gone for the rest of the week on a very well deserved few nights off. Rob takes probably the least amount of vacation as anyone I know. Does a great job for us here on nightside every single night. Now we we will talk later on tonight about the future of Massachusetts vocational educational schools. We're going to talk about that. Also in just a minute, we'll talk about hazards on the roadways and whether or not we should open up Alcatraz, as President Trump is suggesting. As a prisoner, as a prison I was there by a year ago, it looks fine to me. Well, I don't know. I wouldn't want to spend a night there, that's for sure. I think anyone who would be contemplating going there would be on their best behavior. Anyway, we are, as I mentioned, we're going to talk about voke ed proposals here in Massachusetts. I happen to have the point of view that we need more vocational educational technical high schools in Massachusetts. And joining me is a leader in the fight for that, former Massachusetts Lieutenant governor and currently he's the president of the Worcester Chamber of Commerce. The appellation is supposed to be for a former lieutenant governor. Governor, so I will introduce you as governor. Welcome to nightside. How are you, Tim Murray?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm saying good to be with you, and we rolling into Monday.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes we are. Look, this is a very serious topic. I'm somebody and I'm know you are somebody who really believes in voke ed voke ed technical education for young people who may not be inclined to studying you know, Shakespeare and Shelley and all of those those great British authors in British in British literature courses. Not everybody is college you know bound these days, and a great way to find a career is through vocational schools. We have dozens of vacational technical high schools around the Conwealth of Massachusetts. And I guess whenever it's something in Massachusetts is going well, somebody always comes along with an idea to mess it up. What's going on?
Speaker 3: Well, no, that's the case, but you're absolutely right. I mean, one of the most positive stories that when we talk about public education today is our vocational technical schools and our agricultural schools. There's thirty regional vote techs in the state, but at our comp hentsive high schools across the commonwealth, more and more communities are putting Chapter seventy four vocational technical programs into those schools because kids and parents want it, and it's about preparing young people for college and or career, giving them those options, and candidly, that's kind of the way of the future in terms of what employers want and need. Unfortunately, you know, Governor Healy has put a proposal on the table that doesn't dramatically expand you know Chapter seventy four vocational technical education, which they're looking to do is kind of ration what we have by introducing a lottery system admission system by which students would be accepted into the vocational technical programs as the stands. You know, currently many of these school districts stand have the students apply, because number one, this is a more costly form of education, and number two, you want to make sure that the students genuinely interested in it. And so students apply when they're in eighth grade, and to some extent, as it stands right now, student's attendance, their grades, and their student behavior are factors in whether they're accepted. And the proposal on the table by Governor Healy basically says, to an eighth grade student, she's been working hard academically to achieve, she's got herself up to go to school every day, has not been a problem with behavior. That student, now with this proposed lottery is being told that hard work doesn't matter. They're going to be equal to a student that has not strived or worked hard academically, been absent, unexcused up the twenty six times, and had behavioral and had behavioral problems. And so you're penalizing young kids, young people for doing the right thing. Now, I believe that that other students should also be afforded opportunities to pursue Chapter seventy four education, which is why we need to dramatically expand it. We need a march plan right now to expand Chapter seventy four programs across the board and DAN just you know, in the last fifteen years, more or less a program that Governor Patrick and I started with the support of the legislature was now known as the Capital Skills Program. The Biker Pleto administration continued to support that, working with the legislature, but targeted grants to vocational technical schools and traditional comprehensive high schools to add programs and seats. And we've added nearly fifteen thousand seats across the state with just this targeted program. Now, the Millionaire's Tax Path or Fair Share Amendment, this significant you know, revenue on the table, and what we need is leadership that's going to say we're going to you know, have universal access for Chapter seventy four programs. We're going to work with the MSBA and Treasurer of Goldberg. We're going to look for waivers for instructors and some of the key trades. And you know, instead of that, we're being creating winners and losers with this lottery system in urban communities and rural communities and suburban communities, and it just doesn't make sense. We should be expanding this, not rationing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's such a no brainer. And the fact that leadership in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts now after having turned Boston Latin School into a zip code school, no longer is it a school of academic excellence. It's a zip code school here in Boston. And now they're going after these trade schools or vocational educational schools, which are great pathways for young people who may not be inclined to pursue four years of college and the additional expense that that costs to come out with a sociology degree, which is probably going to be kind of a dead end in many respects sadly. Uh. And to now not make education available to kids who for two young men and women, I should say, who want to become electricians and you know, plumbers and uh and and skill people with actual skills by which they'll weren't they'll earn a living for the rest of their lives and become you know, contributing supporters of the of the Commonwealth of the Commonwealth just doesn't make any sense. At at nine o'clock we're going to be talking with Jamie gass Uh the Pioneer Institute at Boston. Uh, dive a little deeper into this. Look, you were on Beacon Hilltim, you were a legislator, a lieutenant governor. How is this stuff like this in Massachusetts always seems to go off the rails when it's working. Well, why do people want to mess mess mess with it? Is it just because they feel that somehow there's some short term political gain for their for their next election. Is that what drives this stuff. I'm not trying to put you in a box here, but I'm just y, Yeah, I'm frustrated as as a taxpayer who pays a lot of money that they've come wealth and sees it wasted in a lot of ways. Go ahead, I'm sorry, go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean they're you know, political narratives or ideologies, but you know, the fact of the matter is this is look, you know, the folk tech programs and districts should absolutely be reflective of the districts and the communities from which the you know, students or the district is from. And there were some some schools where there were some legitimate issues that were brought up. But the Commonwealth has the ability to remedy that and to you know, take because of a handful of schools, and just recently in March of twenty twenty four, the state Department of Momentary and Secondary Education and their compliance report to the Federal Department of Education. So there were four schools that did not fully represents sending communities. Well, the commissioner has the ability to go in and make those tweaks and changes, so you don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Here, you've got a system that is working extremely well. If there are a handful of communities as reported by Dessi, that are not reflective, then go in and make some of those changes. But one of the challenges that some of the vocational administrators will tell you and believe it or not, that in some areas of the state, superintendents won't let vocational technical personnel from the high schools come in and talk to seventh and eighth creators about the opportunity because they don't want want those vo techs. They don't want those students leaving to go to the vote tech school because the money follows the students. So and particularly in some of those communities where there's some of the concerns around whether they're they're diverse diversity in terms of reflecting miscending districts, some of those same districts or the districts that don't allow this NAVA mass associations, vocal vocational school administrators and superintendents to go in and talk to those those communities. So access is an important factor here as well.
Speaker 2: All right, well, look, Tim, I appreciate that you're still involved with this obviously as the president of the Chamber of Commerce. Out there, you know your city, you know what serves your city best, and I just hope that you stay on it. We're going to talk about this at nine o'clock and talk to hopefully parents as well. And please keep us in fond of this because this is one that I really firmly believe in in that education is not one size fits all. Not everyone needs to go to Harvard, Yale or Princeton, as simple as that. And let's help people find what do they say, they say, if you love what you do, you never work a day in your life. And let's grand kids who love working, you know, with mechanical their skills, their mechanical aptitude, Let's give them. Let's open every door for them as possible. Timur, a former lieutenant governor, still looking up for the interests of the people of Worcester in Massachusetts, appreciate it very much.
Speaker 1: My friend.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Dan.
Speaker 2: All Right, when we get back, by the way, at nine o'clock, we're gonna be talking with Jamie Gass as I mentioned of the Pioneer Institute, and I hope that some of you will weigh in on this. When we get back, we're going to talk about the air traffic control mess that this country is now dealing with. And far be it from any one of us to be up at an airplane and have our airplane not followed closely by some traffic control. We will talk about that coming up right after the break on Nightside.
Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, if any of you have watched on television news lately, both locally and nationally, you know we have a big problem at our busiest airports with air traffic controller shortages. With us is Mike Catton, former helicopter and commercial airline pilot Newport is having a really rough time. Mike Catton, Welcome to Nightside. Thanks thank for joining us.
Speaker 4: How are you tonight, and I'm great, thank you for bringing me on what's going on here.
Speaker 2: I remember as a young television reporter back in the early nineteen eighties when the air traffic controllers went on strike and President Reagan fired air traffic controllers, and I think that they brought military air traffic controllers in until they reconstituted the workforce. That's my recollection of it. Is that your recollection?
Speaker 4: That is my recollection. And it's interesting you brought that up. I haven't talked about that today at all, but I was a helicopter pilot in the US Army in Fort Riley, Kansas when that happened, and I'm curious why this walkout didn't trigger the same type of action from the administration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know. The walkout was in Newark, correct, That's the one airport where people have walked out or has it spread to other airports?
Speaker 4: As far as I know, it's only Newark at this point.
Speaker 2: My understanding is watching tonight's evening newscast that there was a period at some point over the weekend when their screens went blank for ninety seconds and they had no contact with planes landing or taking off. For a full ninety seconds, which must have seemed like an eternity.
Speaker 4: That's true, And I saw the same report, and I can tell you these men are consummate professionals, men and women, and ninety seconds with them that must have been extremely stressful and frankly sheared terror for them. Yeah, communication like that.
Speaker 2: So my question is we had the crash that took the sixty seven lives over the Potomac in early January or January this year, and many of those folks were from an associated with the Boston skating Club. So although the horrible accident was over the Potomac, it was felt greatly here in New England. They were parents, there were coaches, there were skaters amongst the fatalities. Crazy that they're running helicopters at night, black Hawk helicopters at night into the Pentagon, and that apparently there was that's part of the problem. We'll hear from the National Transportation Board like nine months from now as to what the cause was. And I'm sure they're going to find that somebody was at the wrong elevation. But put that aside, how have we gotten to this point all of a sudden? It seems as if the bottom's falling out of the system. Where has been use a military term, the preventive maintenance for the last ten years. Did they not see that there was a surge of people retiring. How did we get to where we are today? Is my question?
Speaker 4: Mike Well, first of all, I'm just condolences to the entire Boston area up there. I can relate to this up I was fourteen years old and I was very close to the site where the Marshall football team crashed through Marshall University. So I understand what this does to a community and how did we get here? We have, in my opinion, and I can back this up, we have avoided updating and modernizing the airspace system for years, and I'm talking about shortly after nine to eleven. You may recall that Al Gore chaired a committee, a focus group, whatever you want to call it, about modernizing the system. Recommendations were made to improve the system, upgrade the technology. Money was appropriated, It went into an account somewhere, it never got spent. Depending on who you talk to, some will say the money is still there. Some will say the money's already been spent on another program. But we are in a dire situation. As far as the technology goes, I've been in the rooms up there at Newark. I was based in Newark for fifteen years, and I've toured the facilities and it is old equipment. As far as hiring, they got behind the hiring curve. You may remember a couple of years ago coming out of COVID, they called it the Summer of Love. Up and down the East coast. Jacksonville Center was the choke point, and that's a huge choke point, and of course the Northeast is a huge choke points. You have all the airports up and down there at Boston, LaGuardia, JFK, Newark, and many corporate airports up there that people don't talk about either. So it's just been a perfect storm of events in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the technology needs to be updated. Okay, how are they going to get an infusion of more traffic controllers, more competent traffic controllers on such short notice. I just don't understand why someone some being counter wasn't sitting there and saying, hey, you know how many of what percentage of the traffic controllers are going to retire into twenty fifteen? The percentage they're going to retire in twenty twenty. They could see this stuff on the horizon, Mike, you know that, and I know that. How could they miss this?
Speaker 4: They know exactly. They have charts showing the years and the number of retirements, just like we had at the airlines. You can find any airline how many pilots were retiring the pilots. The airlines got behind the hiring curve with pilots too. The reason that they are behind the curve right now, you ask how long does it take? It takes us several months to spool someone up to get them out of the academy in Oklahoma City where that they can come to a facility and start training again for the local traffic in the local area in that facility. Getting people to come to work is part of the problem. Also, people don't want the lifestyle and nighttime long hours. And lastly, one of the incentives they have offered is the administration has offered for people who are planning to retire but have not reached the mandatory retirement age. They're offering them a twenty percent bonus for every year they continue to work until they have to retire.
Speaker 2: You know, any major League Baseball team. They have on the wall, every general managers will on the wall, has every position, and they project who's going to be our shortstop five years from now. He's a kid in single A ball because our shortstop now is thirty one years old, and we got to change that. If they can do that for Major League Baseball teams, they should be able to do it for something as more important, with air traffic controllers. Mike, I appreciate your time. He gave us some good perspective and insight in this, and let's hope, for the sake of any one of us, could be up there in one of those airplanes and all of a sudden we find out that we're on a plane that is adversely impacted not by power failure, not by an engine blown out, but but just just by simple inadequate human anticipation of what needs to be done going forward. Appreciate your time left to have you back.
Speaker 4: Thank you, I appreciate it, and have a great night you too.
Speaker 2: Mike Caton, former helicopter commercial airline pilot. And we get back when we talk about collections on defaulted student loans may affect millions of people's credit scores I'm not surprised at that. I think that probably is going to be one of the impacts. We're going to talk with Janie Spooner. She's an expert on lending and credit and the market president of the Great Planes Bank South Lake. We'll talk with Jannis Spooner right after the break.
Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, back to our nightside news update. We do this every eight o'clock hour on Nightside. We don't get we give the phone callers arrest. Well. We will talk a little bit later on, beginning at nine o'clock about the the problem that is being created by some of the commonwealth to not expand vocational education, but to basically limit it and put people in some sort of a lottery, which to me seems crazy. If kids want to students want to go to vote volgade schools, they should be of they should be allowed to do that. Those are the best best jobs that I think young people can get. They'll always work, which kind of brings us to our topic at hand, and that is a lot of students have gone to colleges and universities and they've gotten fairly useless degrees, and they've come out and there's no one knocking the door down to uh TO to hire them. And now it looks as if the Trump administration is going to once again attempt to begin to collect on these defaulted loans with us as Janet Janice Spooner, she's an expert on lending and credit market president of the Great Plains Bank, South Lake. So, Janice, what what are we about to see happen in the next few months? The the bell is tolling on these loans, what are these students going to have to do? File bankruptcy or what's.
Speaker 4: Going to happen?
Speaker 5: Honestly, I think this isn't just a debt crisis, It's a generational economic emergency. The five million barbers heading into default represent far more than mispayments. They reflect the system that's honestly failing an entire workforce generation.
Speaker 2: Well, I agree with you, really, I do agree with you. The problem is they took these loans to go to these schools which are overweight with administrators. You know, the cost of higher education for thirty years outpaced inflation. You and I both know that as people who are perhaps a little older than most kids who are just out of college, did people not see this coming.
Speaker 5: I don't think they saw it coming at all, because sometimes we as consumers stick our head in the sand. It's so much of the nation is in the highest credit card debt, much less student loan debt or both that they don't want to face it. But now it is vital that they take notes and listen and check to see if they're in default, because repayment on both private and federally backed loans has already started and it's progressing, and now they can actually go after you because it's considered in default, which is by definition two hundred and seventy days plus has due. So they're going to bring very significant collections and trying to get this money started to be repaid.
Speaker 2: The Biden administration, unlike the Trump administration, kept holding out false hope to some of these student loan bowers. I think they did it for political purposes, and now, of course the Biden administration no longer is in power. Trump administration is taking a different tact. It seems to me that the alternative, particularly in terms of the government loans, would be to have What the Bide administration was trying to do was let's forgive the loans, and let's have others pay for the college education that people secured through the loans. But now they're not willing to pay for the loans. So people who never went to college and who started businesses or joined the military and now we're working, we were kind of in the point where who's going to pay? And a lot of the the young people who owe these loans will hope and there's going to be someone else, But looks like that hopes nothing more than a pipe dream at.
Speaker 5: This point, Yes, just a pipe dream. And I think it is really the most critical advice I could give is check to see if you're in default, because and I say check, so many people have moved in five years time. They might not even know they have a new servicer and that's happened. So they really need to check at studentaid dot gov and log in with their fsaid and look, see, don't ignore, because they can the treasury they're going to garnish wages.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you work for a bank, So how difficult will it be for your bank and other banks across the country to go into court. I don't know. You know how many you know defaulted student loans? You have not none of our business. But how is this going to happen? So the student is going to be told that there's a default hearing in some court of proper jurisdiction, that default judgment will issue, I guess, and at that point the person who they owe the money to will be able to find out where they work and garnish their wages. I mean, it's going to get pretty ugly.
Speaker 5: It is going to get ugly. In the Treasury Department. They're ready to garnish wages. They're going to take tax refunds, and they can even really garnish even Social Security. So this is real. The irs knows where obviously people work. This is a governmental system. They can do cross checks, et cetera. And their only legal obligation is to notify you in writing and offer a rehabilitation or consolidate your loans. But once I notify you and you don't take action, if you're in default, that if they're coming to get your money.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let me ask you this question, if I could, is there a difference between that class of former students who took a pell grants, government loans or whatever, the type of you know, vehicle they used at which government paper versus if someone came to a private bank and said, you know, I want to get a loan. Uh, and the private bank, the private bank, I assume is is on the hook themselves.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: The government is not going to enforce loans given by private banks, I assume, so private banks will have this go ahead. I'm right, Well, I bank, So the private bank could come after you with the same ferocity as the government if they if they so desire.
Speaker 5: It depends on what state, because I'm in Texas, and we in Texas have different classes of collections, and I could not go after a consumer and garnish their wages. It would be a default and it would go to collections. But the government can in every state go after your wages.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what you're saying is it almost might be in some states better for the students who are the former students who are in default to owe a bank, the private entity than the federal government. It's what I'm hearing you say. Almost you might have a chance to delay it or maybe even potentially avoid it if it's a bank, than the federal government. Is what I'm hearing you say. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
Speaker 5: Not wrong. It still has significant impacts on people and their credit credit scores, because once you default, whether it's with the federal government or with a private lending institution, then it goes against your credit and the lower the score, the higher the rate you're going to pay on anything.
Speaker 2: But that's assuming anyone else will lend your money down the line as well. Yeah, yeah, hey, Janis, Yeah you have. You have simplified what is a complicated problem and a difficult problem for many people. I'm empathetic to them, but you know what, Unfortunately someone has to pay the piper, and it's a little unfair for students to turn around and expect other taxpayers who didn't have the benefit of that college experience to pay for their their years in academia. I appreciate you taking the time and being with us tonight. Janni's very nice to talk with you.
Speaker 5: Great to talk to you as well. And I will say again people check your student loan accounts, start with an action, take note, and take a step forward to prevent this catastrophic event to happen to you.
Speaker 2: All right, Thank you, Janes, appreciate it very much. We'll talk again. Thanks you so much when we get back here On Nightside. After the break, we're going to talk with a psychologist, a licensed professional counselor. We've talked with her before, doctor Lee Richardson from the Brain Performance Center. Apparently children and teenagers are increasingly self diagnosing themselves with mental health issues like ADHD, autism or anxiety based on some other something else that they learned about in social media. I'm not sure that that's a good trend. I think the professional should be left to do that sort of work. But we'll talk with doctor Lee Richardson about this apparent phenomena, which we read about in the magazine Psychology Today. Back on Nightside right after the break.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray. I'm w BEAZ Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Want to welcome back a prior guest, doctor Lee Richardson. She's a licensed professional counselor and founder of the Brain Performance Center. Doctor Richardson, welcome back to night Side. How are you.
Speaker 6: I'm great, Thanks for having me back.
Speaker 2: So Psychology Today is reporting that kids and teenagers are self diagnosing themselves with with mental health issues like ADHD, autism or anxiety based on something they viewed on social media. Let me ask you this is there a little bit of overdiagnosis going on here.
Speaker 6: Do you think absolutely? I think so. I think. You know, you get on social media and at that age teenagers, adolescent true looking to trying to figure out who am I, what am I struggling with? And we're all struggling with something, and they see somebody on TikTok and or any social media that says, oh, I have no motivation, Oh oh that's me, that's me, or you know I have constant mood swings me too, me too, And it's almost like we're leading them down the path. Now, you may identify with a symptom, but does that mean you really have the diagnosis.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you, we have learned over recent years how detrimental social media, some of the social media can be. I mean it is clickbait, is what the phrase is? I myself? You know, I'll see, you know, something on that pops up on my screen. You know, the ten greatest plays in baseball. I'm a big baseball guy. I want to see who they put in these, you know, and they're interesting and you watch them, but at the end of the ten seconds of the couple of minutes it takes to watch, it's like I've seen plays like that before, Guys jumping over the wall catching a ball, somebody who you know who runs into the stands and catches a ball. But that's that's clickbait. And so I'm the fish that likes the baseball clickbait. Somebody else likes clickbait. Of whatever, we can, we just get rid of social media. I guess it's here to stay. It's never going away.
Speaker 6: No, it is here to stay. And you know, I have to say, I think that there there is some good associated with the social media around anxiety and ADHD, because if it helps kids recognize the struggles that they're having, that's a good thing, because being lost is a lot worse than I think that you've identified a solution. So I think there's some good. But the bad is is what they're identifying with. Is it true? Is it boss? So I think that you know, what we have to do as a as a community here as a society, is to put there is some good on social media, and the good is if it makes you ask some questions and if it helps you to self reflect and get some help, that's a plus.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, all of us have anxiety at different points in our lives okay, and I'm wondering if anxiety or whatever is not something that we should learn to live with and kind of move out of. I think that all of us when we're awkward teenagers and we're worried about something as simple as actne you know, you worry about it, but you get something that clears it up or you grow out of it. I mean there's a lot of these things which you know, I can remember, you know, I wanted to be a second basement or a shortstop, and then they started throwing curveballs at me, and I said, I got to become a pitcher. And I did okay for a while, and then in high school and college I got lit up a few times. Then I realized I'm not ever going to be a major league pitcher. You deal with it. Isn't that just part? Have you caused me? Some anxiety is part of growing up. Isn't anxiety a good thing occasionally to experience? Or am I nuts?
Speaker 6: No? I think there's good. There is good anxiety. Oh my gosh, you're getting married and you get so nervous and you get so anxious. What if I walk down the aisle, what if I trip on my dress. I mean, there's a lot of good anxiety. It's a natural reaction, it's a response your body has. And I think that we do as we grow up. The brain's not fully developed until you're in your mid to late twenties. And as we do grow up and that brain gets fully developed, we you know, we do learn to roll with it, to hit the pause button, to stop and say, okay, is it really that big a deal? But in those teenage years, you don't have the brain capacity to do that. And if you don't have the support system, if you don't have a family or friends that can help you know that you can talk to about it and help you understand. You know, yeah, you do lack of motivation about once a week, but who doesn't. I mean, we have to learn to put it into context.
Speaker 2: I got to tell you I have anxiety every night before I before I start my show, I'm anxious to have I thought of anything. Is there some guests that I haven't researched well enough? I have. I I think you've got to have anxiety. You're gotta have anxiety.
Speaker 6: I think it gives you, It gives you your edge, you know, it keeps you on your game. You use that as a double check. Okay, am I really ready for this? Have I done everything I should have done? And I think if you can keep it in balance, you get on your show, you take a deep breath, and everything ten.
Speaker 2: Seconds one once the once you start for ten seconds, it all goes away. I have anxiety every time I get in a car to drive because I know that there are knuckleheads out on the road who are not paying attention to what they're doing. I don't know about you.
Speaker 6: Maybe you don't maybe get.
Speaker 2: Your car huh. You agree with me on that?
Speaker 6: Absolutely? I mean, and does that help you stay on pay a little bit closer attention?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, absolutely?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Now there are things that I have anxiety about over which I have no control. When I get on an airplane, I know that I'm not flying a plane, and I gotta tell you take offs and landing are never a lot of fun. But if I want to get from point A to point B, you got to go through with it. I have anxiety. You want to go to the dentist to get a tooth glean, to get my teeth cleaned. I mean, it's you know, I could be a patient of yours. For weeks.
Speaker 6: It's read my mind.
Speaker 2: No, But I'm serious. I mean, I I just think that in the life, anxiety is part of life. Now. It's not to say that I'm I'm I think that people who are trying to deal with full blown autism, God love them. You know. That's I kind of imagine what that would be like. Adhd uh, you know, not as bad, But you know, I just I don't know. I think we have we have oversold a lot of these things to make people to be convinced that any discomfort, mental or otherwise that they that they feel has to be a crisis in their life. And I don't think that it has to be a crisis.
Speaker 6: I don't think it judgs for for everybody. But I think there's a side of anxiety that you don't know. And I mean, I work with clients that are so anxious you struggle getting on the plane. They can't get out of bed, they can't show up at work.
Speaker 2: So I want to struggle getting on the plane. By the way, doctor, I get on the plane, it's just when the plane starts to take off, them saying, okay, make sure we buggle up. Yeah. No, I guess there are people I don't know how you deal with people like that, and I don't know how those people deal with their lives and how they got to that point. You must have to figure that out, I assume because you're the doctor.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, there are four things that puts a brain in a dysregulated state, and anxiety is a disregulated state. Genetics, fisco ahead trauma, emotional trauma, and stress.
Speaker 2: What about democratic White House that puts me in a.
Speaker 6: I'm not touching that.
Speaker 2: I'm having fun with you, that's all, you know. I'll tell you someone who felt no anxiety was former President Biden. He didn't have a moment of anxiety in the four years he was there. Look, I look, this is a serious subject, and I realized that that we've treated it, or I've treated a little lightly. I'm just hoping people will, you know, chill a little bit, sit back and relax a bit, and realize we're lucky to be here. You know, we could have been born three thousand or ten thousand years ago and be in a cave cowering at night with a fire and hoping that the animals didn't find us. That would have been real anxiety.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, you're talking about the days eat or be eaten.
Speaker 2: So all right, doctor Richardson, I always enjoy talking with that. I took a little liberty with you tonight. I hope you don't mind, okay, I just wanted to at all lighting the topic up a little bit. Okay, thank you.
Speaker 6: So much, and it needs to be lightened up.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, doctor Lee Richardson. How can folks find you at the Brain Performance Center? Give us that website.
Speaker 6: They can find me on LinkedIn, doctor Lee Richardson. They can find us on Facebook, Instagram, v Brain Performance Center dot com.
Speaker 2: Sounds great, doctor Lee Richardson. We'll have you back talk soon, okay, thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: When we get back, right after the nine o'clock news, we're going to talk with Jimmy Gass of the Pioneer Institute and talking about an effort to make it tougher for kids who want to get into vocational educational schools in Massachusetts to get into those schools. We're not talking Harvardale in Princeton here. We're talking about kids who want to go to voke at schools, find a career, and live a productive life. We should be expanding vocational education schools. In Massachusetts. Shame on the legislature, and shame on the political powers in Beacon Hill that we even have to talk about this back on Nightside, right after this