Speaker 1: Hello, I'm Megan and I'm Danielle, and welcome to our podcast Off the Trails, where we will be sharing stories of mystery and misadventure that all take place in the outdoors.
Speaker 2: In this week will Megan's turn to share a story with us.
Speaker 3: Good afternoon today.
Speaker 1: Good afternoon, it is a rainy Sunday. It is kind of a nice day, though it looks pretty bad out.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess my good day is probably different than a lot of other people's nice weather day.
Speaker 1: You love the gloom the gloom day? All right. Well, I don't think we really have any business other than I know we posted it on Instagram, but just for any listeners who don't follow us on there, this episode is coming out on Monday, December eleventh, and then we will have the last twenty twenty three episode coming out on Monday December eighteenth, and then we will be taking the week off for Christmas, and we'll be back on Monday, January first.
Speaker 3: That's right, twenty twenty four, right around the corner.
Speaker 1: I know, it's crazy, it's crazy that we're already coming to the end of twenty twenty three, but that's our schedule, so everyone knows and Yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, Well I am excited for today's story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this one, I will say this one was a lot not that any of them aren't, but the sort of the topic of this one is a bit heavy. Again, not that many of them aren't, but I feel like you'll understand why as it unfolds. But I definitely found myself tearing up sometimes just because it just kind of hits you, right, Certain stories just sort of hit you, and this and I got it a little emotional.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I was gonna say. I think sometimes obviously a lot of the topics and stories we read and talk about and share, they're they're heavy, but for whatever reason, certain ones just hit you harder than others, for whatever reason. And I don't always know which ones are going to be those super sad ones or the ones that like stick with you longer than others exactly.
Speaker 1: And you wouldn't really expect that because this one is a survival so it's supposed to be everything is great, everything's good.
Speaker 3: But so it's interesting though, because other people have said that the survival stories sometimes are harder for them to listen to. I think because maybe in part we do go into some more details that usually with a death episode, we discuss more high level, but with some of the survival stories, obviously we have the gory details as told by the person firsthand. So maybe that's in part why they're sometimes a little bit harder to digest.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Yeah, it's or you know, with survival ones, we none of us who are listening can relate to the death episodes or the disappearance episodes. However, with survival ones, there's someone that's still able to tell a story, and maybe sometimes parts of those stories are too relatable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 1: So I guess without further ado, are you ready?
Speaker 3: I am ready?
Speaker 1: Okay. I want to start this off with a disclaimer because this story contains content about suicide, and if you're thinking about suicide, are worried about a friend or loved one, or with like emotional support, The nine to eight to eight Lifeline network is available twenty four to seven across the United States. When Pam Bales, a volunteer with New Hampshire's pemical was Wassit Search and Rescue Team, planned a solo recreational hike up Mount Washington in twenty ten, she had never suspected it would become the most unforgettable rescue of her career, one that would cement her legacy and search and rescue for years to come. And I just want to ask, because I always do ask you, have you does this sound familiar to you? Yet?
Speaker 3: Not yet?
Speaker 1: Okay? At the time of the event we're covering today, Pam was living in Thornton, a town in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Here, she was a volunteer with the local Search and Rescue agency for thirteen years. But Pam hadn't always lived in New Hampshire. Pam's mother was from Newton, Massachusetts, where she would take excursions up to the White Mountains to go hiking. When Pam was born, they were living in California, but relocated to New Hampshire while Pam was still a child. Her mother was a secretary for the Appalachian Mountain Club, and Pam followed in her mother's footsteps with an abiding love for the mountains. She would spend as much time there as possible. It was later in life when a friend suggested that with her nursing background, which we don't really have a lot of detail about her nursing background, just that she had it so, combining that and her love for hiking, that she should consider volunteering with the Search and Rescue Team in the White Mountains. And Pam thought it was a great idea and she found her calling. But it was on the fateful day of October seventeenth, twenty ten, when Pam would unexpectedly put all her skills to the test. Pam had been looking for a weather window to practice a training hike in the area her SAR team operated in. She wanted them to practice with heavier packs on a more steep and challenging route, and she thought Mount Washington would be a great way to engage and refine these skills. So she was sort of doing a dry run of this so that she could come back to her team and be like, guys, let's do this. This would be great, a great training exercise for Okay.
Speaker 3: So, so Pam was going to take the route herself and then, assuming that made sense, to take the full team another time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it certainly implied that and even clearly stated I should say that she was familiar with this mountain and this hiking route. Okay, but she just wanted to do it again and essentially just come back to her team and be like, Yeah, let's do this. I think this would be really beneficial for us. Okay, So a little bit about Mount Washington, and I know we've already discussed it in an earlier episode, but just some bare bones facts about it. Standing at six thousand, two hundred and eighty eight feet, it is the highest peak in the northeastern United States and is located in the Presidential Range of the White Mountains of New Hampshire. It is considered to have the world's worst weather as a result of three separate weather systems that converge over the top of it. The lowest temperature ever recorded is negative fifty degrees fahrenheit and the strongest wind reported is two hundred and thirty one miles per hour on April twelfth, nineteen thirty four. Mount Washington sees approximately two hundred and eighty thousand visitors per year, and there have been one hundred and six one reported deaths since eighteen forty nine. Back to October seventeenth. The forecast for the higher elevation that day was as follows. In the clouds with a slight chance of showers, highs in the upper twenties, wind chills zero to ten wins northwest at fifty to seventy miles an hour, increasing to sixty to eighty with higher gusts, and it was described as full on winter at the summit by the Mount Washington Observatory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would also classify that as full on winter. That's no joke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And obviously one of the big misconceptions about this mountain, if you're not familiar with it, is that at the base where we're all just living about here, at the same elevation as the base, it seems pretty mild, and the higher us end it, that weather can change drastically and you can very quickly find yourself unprepared.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely. The weather is it's almost like a different a different continent. Like you start making your way up the mountain and the weather is completely different. And I think even driving through the mountains on either side, the weather can be completely different. And then you're getting through like Franconia Notch or one of the other notches up in the mountains and it's completely different. So you really have to take that into consideration that, yeah, this is what the forecast is, but it's probably not accurate for the top of Mount Washington or along the along the route.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly like you know, you could be local to it and be like, oh, this looks like a great day for a and sure it is at the base right. Pam parked at the trail head that morning and set out on what she planned to be a nine mile loop that would take approximately six hours. Her root would take her up the Jewel Trail, which runs along the west side of the mountain, and that would bring her to Gulf Side Trail, which would take her up to the summit. On her way back down, she would take Crawford Path down to the Lakes of the Clouds Hut, down Amanusic Ravine Trail, and back to the parking lot, which would make it a loop instead of going out and back on just the Jewel Trail. Okay, And given her experience and knowledge of the mountains and knowing the erratic weather of Mount Washington, she had a backup plan, as everyone should. If the conditions become too risky. She would either turn around on the Jewel Trail and get back to her car from there, or she would cross west Side Trail, which was at about fifty six hundred feet elevation, and that would bring her own over to Crawford Path, which would then bring her to Aminusik Ravine Trail and back to the parking lot. So essentially, instead of getting all the way up to the summit, she'd be able to cut across a little bit lower on the west side trail. And her practice was always to leave a detailed itinerary on her dashboard as well as a copy with two of her teammates from the Pemica Wasset Valley Search and Rescue Team.
Speaker 3: So that's actually really smart to leave her itinerary in her.
Speaker 1: Car, right, I thought of that too. I thought that was a really good takeaway.
Speaker 3: Because obviously, you know, she told people where she was going, and ideally, if somebody doesn't return, your person, whoever you're told, is going to report you missing. But if your car is there overnight or for a couple of days, having that information on your dashboard for someone who's just peeking inside your car, that's really helpful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because of course there's going to be a little bit of a lag from what you're doing in real time to someone off site figuring out where you're at in relation to where you're supposed to be at, Like based on your itinerary, but someone like who is also in the parking lot, you know, someone goes up and comes down and says that car is still here. And I didn't see anyone, and they could just walk over to it. And if they saw the itinerary and there was a red flag just as a result of it being like I'm supposed to be back at four pm and it's six pm and you know they're not back, that might be enough to tip them off to contact you know, local police or local rangers or anyone who could look further into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's smart.
Speaker 1: So though there was snow at the trailhead, the sun was shining and the air was mild. Pam made a point to bring extra layers of clith, knowing how drastically different the weather at the base is from the summit. At this point, she was wearing a sports spra and hiking pants, and she had noticed pretty early on that the Cog Railway, which usually brings passengers all the way up to the summit, was stopping and turning around at an area called Jacob's Ladder, which is at about forty seven hundred feet elevation.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, can I enter it for a second go for it. What timer year was this October? I can't remember.
Speaker 1: October seventeenth, Okay, So them turning around at Jacob's ladder as opposed to going to the summit was most likely a result of limited visibility and inclement weather higher up. So the beginning of the hike was overall pretty pleasant and uneventful, as she suspected it would be. Her first selfie representing this stage of the hike was taken at around eight thirty am. And there are a few selfies that she takes along the way, and I'll be posting those with the episode. Ok And it's really kind of interesting to see how she starts based on her attire and the sky and you know, the background and foreground, and how it changes in you know, what appears to be pretty quickly. About thirty minutes later, around nine am, she was getting at the mile and a half mark up the trail and into the colder weather. She added a quarter zip, long sleeve and gloves and took another selfie. There doesn't seem to be the same sunlight as seen in the first photo lower on the trail, and there's more snow on the ground and piled on the trees around her. She was heading into temperatures about twenty four degrees fahrenheit and fog with fifty mile an hour winds. But Pam wasn't deterred quite yet, as she was familiar with this trail and was comfortable proceeding. So long as she could still see her own hands in front of her face, she'd be able to safely navigate the route. Swap that word, I don't know why I do that? Why do I change how I say it? She'd be able to safely navigate the root in inclement weather, but she also knew when to call it quits and turn around if the conditions became too risky, which she really seemed to stress that and wanted to reiterate that the summit can wait, Your height can wait. If there is anything that's making you uncomfortable about it, or it's starting to seem sketchy, or you're looking higher off the mountain and that weather is not looking great, just turn around, turn around, come back another day.
Speaker 3: It's not worth it, absolutely, it's literally not worth your life. And maybe someday we can get my friend Britt to share her Mount Washington story, because she did end up turning around on a day that the weather was just not safe. So she did have to make that decision that she's like, you know what, I'm not gonna sum it today and it's gonna have to be another day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And of course it sucks because you plan for it. You there's a lot of preparation that goes into it. You know, even if you have to go as far as to take a day off work or or whatever you're you're rearranging to make this happen, it's still not worth the risk if anything is telling you not to go forward with it. And I would actually be very interested having Britt on for an episode because I know she's an avid hiker and she's done like I know, she's done all the four thousand footers right mm hm she has, So I bet she'd have a lot of really good stories and some you know, helpful tips for people hiking. And she's very familiar with the White Mountain, so you know, I think that'd be a great idea. Absolutely, are you listening, Britt, we're volunteering.
Speaker 3: You right when you hear this, let me know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Ten thirty am, Pam had gotten above tree line and was closing in on the junction of Jewel Trail and Gulf Side Trail, and I'm going to be mentioning a few trails and their relation to each other and on the mountain, and I know, listening to it it might not make sense, But I do have a visual that I'll be posting with the episode. Like visual aids helped me a lot, Like you could explain something to me all day and I can't figure it out, but we will have like a map that kind of helps lay out these areas that we'll be talking about. So at ten thirty am, Pam had gotten above tree line and was closing in on the junction of Jewel Trail and Gulf Side Trail. At this point, she had added a jacket, goggles, and heavier mittens to protect herself from the harsher weather, which included dense fog and high winds. She was contemplating ending her hike early and following her Plan B to get back down on the mountain safely for going the summit. On this hike. The extreme weather and limited visibility told Pam that pushing for the summit was not worth the risk. But it was also around this time that she noticed a set of footprints in the snow, and though she had seen them along her hike, she hadn't previously thought much of them, given this was a public trail on a popular mountain, so it's not unreasonable to see other tracks. But as she took a closer look at them, she realized that these ones were different. They weren't hiking boots, but they looked like sneaker prints with no signs of traction, and that someone wildly unprepared for this mountain was on this mountain and in this weather. And I think that just goes to show her search and rescue brain always being on, because just looking at footprints, she's like assessing them. She's like, Okay, hold on, I've seen the singular set of prints. I haven't seen any coming back down. Haven't come across this person. And wait a second, there's no traction, there's no tread, there's sneakers.
Speaker 3: I mean, just think about when you're if you're wearing sneakers in a couple inches of snow, your feet get wet almost immediately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is not like easy terrain either. No, So that immediately raised a unalarm for her. She's like, Okay, that's not good. That's not someone's being very irresponsible here. So it was now around eleven am and Pam, even with all the proper gear and layers, was getting cold and knew that attempting to summit just wouldn't be safe. And it was at this point that I believe Pam is along the Gulf Side Trail, which runs parallel with Mount Clay Loop. She's above the Jewel and Gulf Side junction, but she's below the Gulf Side and West Side junction. She decided to add even more layers, putting an additional shirt on under her jacket and adding a face mask. She was sitting by a cairn, which is a stack of rocks, and she decided to make her way back down the mountain via west Side Trail. The clouds and fog created a zero visibility scenario, and now she was dealing with sleep too. The only thing keeping her on the trail though, was the footprints, like something just wasn't right about them, and she just couldn't let it go, and she was focusing on trying to get to the next cairn so that she knew that she was still on trail and headed in the right direction. When she noticed the tracks took a hard left off trail, and concerned with this person's misdirection, the harsh weather conditions, the impending darkness, and heading toward an area called the Great Gulf, Pam started yelling for the person and continuing to yell and blow her whistle. Pam was hoping to hear someone call back out to her, but she didn't. She was about point three miles from the Jeweling Gulf Side junction and one mile from the Gulf Side and West Side junction, either of which would take her back to safety. But someone was out here and she wasn't letting that go. She shifted her direction and started walking toward the uncertainty of the tracks ahead, which were heading in the direction of an exposed ridge line overlooking the Great Gulf. Winds were fifty miles an hour at this point, and she had on micro spikes, but unpacked wind swept snow between boulders created a risk for stepping too hard and sustaining a foot injury, an injury she could not afford if she wanted to get back down the mountain safely. Pam followed the tracks for about twenty to thirty more yards when she saw a man sitting between some boulders off Clay Loop Trail. Pam approached and greeted him, caught off guard by what she had stumbled upon. A man wearing tennis shoes. Shorts I did see, someone said shorts. One article said shorts, and one said like light pants either way, not mountain attire, not the right pants, not the right pants, not the right bottoms, regardless of which one. It was a light jacket and fingerless gloves, because fingerless gloves are you know, as long as your palms are warm, you're no worries about your fingers.
Speaker 3: The fingerless gloves are so strange to me because when I'm outside, it's not my palms that are ever getting cold.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, your palms are fine. Your little fingers that are cold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't get it. Even right now as we're talking, I'm now like holding my like my faux cold fingers.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I can see you just like clutching them and like warming them up, rubbing them against each other. Though he looked at her, he didn't speak to her, and there was like a sheen to his face indicating a lack of blood circulation, and his clothes were frozen. The jacket like the windbreaker he had on was crunching because it had a layer of ice on it, and so anytime he moved any small movement, it was just crunching because it was just frozen over. He was severely hypothermic, and it was at this moment that Pam knew this had just become a rescue mission. Pam recalled that her chief had always told her Star Team, never put yourself in a situation that you could also become a victim. Luckily, though she had extra clothes in her pack, she kept her own layers on, but she was able to remove his cold and wet clothing and dress him in her extra clothes that were dry and more suitable for the cold weather. And although he wasn't helping her, he wasn't resisting her efforts either. She had tried talking to him, finding out who he was and what he was doing there, but he just like wouldn't respond to her. And the first person that sort of came to mind was her friend, and I believe also one of her fellow volunteers, this man named John, And so she just started calling this man John, and so she just started addressing him. She's like, John, what are we doing? Here, we gotta go like you are hypothermic. This is very dangerous. We need to get back down the mountain.
Speaker 3: It's funny that when you said that, she started calling for somebody and using her whistle. I was thinking, how it must be so strange. She'd be calling for somebody who it is a specific person that you're looking for, but you don't know who they are.
Speaker 1: So how do you address them?
Speaker 3: Right? Are you just yelling hello? Like what? I don't know. I don't know what I would use to call for this unknown person? Right?
Speaker 1: This person that you know is here, but you don't know the first thing about them. You don't know if you're calling for a man or a woman, or like the name to refer to them by, Like yeah, So she's just like John, you're John. Okay, all right, John, let's do this. So she started talking to him in what would mostly be a one sided conversation, and with the new clothes on, she put him in a bivvy sack, which, for anyone who's unfamiliar, is a collapsible bag made of weather proof fabric that is used to provide shelter, usually for a single person. She propped him against herself. I assume to hopefully, you know, use some of her body heat to thaw him out, if you will, And she had some little heating pads that she was trying to strategically place on him as well, just to try and get him as warm as possible and as quickly as possible while they're still exposed to these really bad elements. The weather was continuing to get worse. The wind was stronger, and they could not stay where they were by that boulder. So about an hour after finding John, changing him and trying to warm him up, she slowly started to liven him up a bit. Though he was still mostly despondent, he at least seemed a bit more aware of his surroundings in what was going on, but he still wasn't saying anything to her. She urged him to get up and told him they needed to start moving. He was slow, but he did start following her, as reluctant as he may have seemed to do so. Now Pam had to get them back down the mountain, and she was working against wind and displaced snow as a result of the strong winds, and if it did start snowing, they risked losing the trail, so with low visibility, Pam was no longer able to see her own footprints from coming to find John, but she was able to see the prints from her poles, from her trekking poles. So they just had just these tiny like pinholes in the snow and she saw those through her goggles like and was able to follow those, which is really impressive, Pam.
Speaker 3: I am envious of your eyesight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like this, this woman is incredible. So John was keeping behind Pam and he was moving slowly, but at least he was moving, and they were, you know, trudging ahead. But when they got back to the junction of Gulf Side Trail and Jewel Trail around two pm, with only like three more hours of sunlight, he just shut down. He I don't know if he stumbled in the snow or intentionally fell in the snow, but he just fell and stayed there. And he's like, leave, just go leave me here, go go you go, and She's like absolutely not, get up and let's go, John, I'm not doing this, and she it was really sweet. She was almost like lecturing him, like I need you to keep going, we need to get we both need to get down, and he sort of just begrudgingly got back up. I just picture like.
Speaker 3: Picture like a toddler kind of having a meltdown, right exactly, And You're like, I don't think so, John up, now, let's go.
Speaker 1: So he did get back up, and he started following her. And to keep herself focused and to try to keep John's attention, because it's not like he was keeping a conversation with her or anything, she started singing Elvis songs.
Speaker 3: I mean, why not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So she was singing for herself fan for him, and she used her headlamp to stay on the trail because the trees, like the canopy was just kind of too thick to allow a whole lot of sunlight. Any little bit of sunlight there was was not breaking through those trees. So now she's also fighting against, you know, kind of this darkness. She reassured John that he was doing great, and she just continued singing. She was concerned by the snow coverage that was potentially hiding those boulders underneath, and he didn't have appropriate footwear for that track, and even that doesn't always save someone from injury as a result of misstepping with the best of hiking boots. So what she would do, is which I think is again just like Pam's incredible. Again, So she was risking you know these you know, kind of stepping through the snow into what could have been boulders underneath the snow, but she was stomping into it to sort of pack it down to give him a safer placement for each of his steps. I could not imagine what was going through like, you know, her mind while she's trying to stay focused on not only getting herself down, but getting this man down who doesn't seem like he really wants to cooperate with her, right, and she doesn't know what's going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's tough, where he's like literally has already said like don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: Just leave me here, right, And her main focus is just like I don't think this guy realizes how dangerous it is here. And yeah, so I can't imagine just what was going on during this whole thing while also combating the weather and just the descent down the mountain, which is you know, challenging in its own right. Eventually, they did make their way to more solid ground and below tree line, which is at about forty four hundred feet, though still being mostly quiet, John seemed to start giving little bits of information. He had borrowed a car. He wanted to go on a last hike before the big season, for the big season. What does that mean?
Speaker 3: I don't know, big big winter.
Speaker 1: Didn't Yeah? Did I like forget a word there?
Speaker 3: I kind of like, it's the big season, the big season.
Speaker 1: Okay. Well, Pam asked why he was so unprepared regarding the weather in his gear, and he just sort of shrugged her off. And at this point they have about three miles left.
Speaker 3: Excuse me, sir, why are you unprepared?
Speaker 1: Right? And he's like, huh whoops. Yeah, so just very dismissive of her and her concerns for him and her questions for him, and yeah, he was just like ah, not really giving her a whole lot to work with. So around six p they finally got back to the parking lot, which was otherwise empty. Pam and John's descent should have taken approximately two hours, but it took them closer to six hours. Back at John's car, Pam noticed it was empty of any supplies you would expect someone to have either on their person or in their vehicle for a hike like that. So there was no sustenance, like, no food, no water, He didn't have dry clothes or anything of the like. And she's like, why is the car empty? Why did you go up there in just very light attire? Like what are you doing? So what she did was she actually took his clothes and put them, I believe, like on the car heater to try to warm them up. And while his clothes were drying, she gave him some food from her own supply, and you know, after the after his clothes dried, she took hers back, he changed back into his, and she's like, okay, you know, like we both got to get home, like, please drive safe. She wished him well, and he just sort of dismissively thanked her and drove off. So Pam was in a bit of disbelief as to what just happened. As the adrenaline of the whole day started to wear off, and Pam sort of like was starting to try to process it all, she asked no one in particular, what the fuck just happened? She said that out loud to an empty parking lot. And this woman is like the cutest, sweetest woman who you can tell. She's someone who barely swears but when she does, she's like, oh, I shouldn't.
Speaker 3: Have said that, but I think that is exactly what I've been thinking this whole time. That, right, this person was just I mean, I know that hypothermia and the cold can impact your cognitive.
Speaker 1: Processing, it can disorient you, right, So I.
Speaker 3: Can understand beginning where he's not conversing with her, very short answers, you know, doesn't really have an answer for things like I can. I can see that. But at the point when you get back to the car and this woman has literally brought you down safely, you wore her clothes, she's given you food, water, whatever, and then you're just like, hey, cool, thanks.
Speaker 1: Right, And as you said, you've been thinking, and even her self, who's she's you know, she's like, what the fuck was that? And she would continue asking herself this for a week. So when Pam got home that night, she emailed her friend John and she was just detailing the entire surreal situation and the day's events, and as her colleagues caught wind of it, she was just inundated with questions from them asking like whoa like did you were you prepared for that? Like what kind of like takeaways could you give us, like what did you take from that that like we could maybe learn from in case like we come across this again, like someone who you know isn't really talking to you. They're he's he's not cooperative, but I suppose he's compliant with her efforts. So it was just such a strange situation to navigate because I would assume that, you know, up to this point, you would think like ten out of ten people that you're rescuing are just so grateful for it, and they couldn't get down the mountain fast enough with you, And you know, this was a completely different situation for her and different experience and reaction to the rescue.
Speaker 3: He did not the way you have described it. He was like disinterested in being rescued, all right, right, He was like, ugh, I guess I'm not really into it, but I.
Speaker 1: Guess exactly exactly right. And while Pam may have been prepared herself and was able to successfully assist someone down the mountain, one question just really bothered her. Why was John up there in the first place, and what would lead someone to put themselves in a situation like that. Okay, honestly, I'm going to stop right there. Because I'm already getting teary eyed. I'm really about to cry. So the Sunday following the rescue, Pam would get her answer, and it was nothing she could have prepared herself for. The team received an email from their chief Alan Clark stating he received a letter postmarked from Portland, Maine, and at this point, I'm going to have Andrew read the letter because I've been sort of trying to brace myself to be able to get through it, but I'm already getting a little teary eyed. It just like, no way, I can't do it. And I know, right I'll just I know I'm going to start crying if I tried to. I can already feel my voice getting shaky. So he's going to come in and read the read the letter.
Speaker 3: It's almost like having a voice actor.
Speaker 1: It is, and I suppose it's fitting. It's a man reading a letter from a man. Sorry for doing this to you. I'm like just getting reallyd.
Speaker 4: I hope this reaches the right group of rescuers. This is hard to do, but must try. Part of my therapy. I want to remain anonymous, but I was called John on Sunday, October seventeenth, I went my favorite trail jewel to end my life, whether it was to be bad, thought no one else would be there. I was just to go quickly. Next thing I knew, this lady was talking to me, changing my clothes, talking to me, giving me food, talking to me, making me warmer. And she just kept talking and calling me John, and I let her. Finally learned her name was Pam. Conditions were horrible, and I said to leave me get going, but she wouldn't got me up, had me stay right behind her, still talking. I followed, but I did think about running off. She couldn't see me. I only wanted to take my life, not anybody else's, and I think she would have tried to find me the entire time. She treated him with care, compassion, authority, confidence, and the impression that I mattered. With all that that's been going wrong in my life. I didn't matter to me, but I did to Pam. She probably thought I was the stupidest hiker, dressed like I was. But I was never put down in any way chewed out. Yes, in a kind of way. Maybe I wasn't meant to die, yet I somehow still mattered in life. I became very embarrassed later never really thanked her properly. But if she is an example of your organization and professionalism, you must be the best group around. Please accept a small offer of appreciation for her effort to save me way beyond the limits of safety. No, did not seem to be in her mind. I'm getting help with my mental needs. They will also help me find a job, and I have temporary housing. I have a new direction thanks to the wonderful people like yourselves. I got your name from her pack patch bumper sticker. My deepest thanks John.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you Andrew for bailing me out.
Speaker 3: I phone a friend. Yeah that is very emotional.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it's a tough one. It's yeah. So it took Pam three times to get through the letter as she was too overcome with emotion while reading it, which I'm not even part of that situation. But I get it, Pam, because same. Up until receiving the letter, she had no idea the circumstances surrounding John, and she just assumed he was an irresponsible hiker, and the whole time she was unaware that he was attempting suicide, actively attempting suicide right in front of her. And she had no idea and all she cared about was his safety and well being. And it's a lot. So a gentleman named Ty Gagney who is a CEO of a New Hampshire insurance company and a volunteer for the Andrewscoggin Valley Search and Rescue, and he's an author. He wrote a book about one of the rescue missions he was on. But he sort of summed it up perfectly. So I would like to share a direct quote from him. Let me try not to cry, Okay at some point. Actually, Nope, I can't do it. I'm far too emotional for the story and as a person in general. So Andrew's also going to read this quote.
Speaker 4: At some point in our lives, each of us has found ourselves walking with a sense of helplessness along a ridgeline through a personal storm, alone, devoid of a sense of emotional warmth and safety, smothered by the darkness of our own emotions. We sought that place just off trail, where we hope to find some way to break free of our struggles and strife. Sadly, tragically, some do follow through. Many are able to quietly self rescue. Others, like John are rescued by others like Pam Bales. The most valuable lesson I've learned through this powerful story is to be more mindful of caring for myself and seeking out rescuers when sometimes I find myself on the ridgeline, and to be more like Pam Bales when I sense that those tracks I see ahead in the snow, regardless of who may have made them, appear to be heading deeper into the storm.
Speaker 1: Thank you again, Andrew So. The essay titled Emotional Rescue was first published in the summer fall twenty eighteen issue of Appalachia Journal, and news of the harrowing rescue quickly spread across the country. Pam and John's story would be adapted into a twenty twenty two film titled Infinite Storm, starring Naomi Watts as Pam. Pam never heard from John again, but that doesn't lessen the impact he had on her. Pam feels that John is a survivor no matter what, and she just likes to think that he's he's still around and doing well. She also said that anytime that she has gone up to Mount Clay, she would sit and talk to him and check in on him to see how he's doing. He also well his story and this whole ordeal brought more awareness to her team as well, and it opened the door for them to ask and figure out how to handle those types of situations if they ever came across it themselves. It's obviously such a fragile situation, and Pam handled it incredibly, especially not even realizing the circumstances.
Speaker 3: Well, right, because the train or they train not people in general, but they train for, you know, technical rescues. Someone's had an injury or a fall or bad weather, but they're not necessarily prepared for a emotional and technical rescue where this person is in a state where mentally, emotionally they're not in a good place and physically they're in a very bad place.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. So, as you said, the technical rescue in and of itself, it poses its own challenges and risks for her to not only be trying to get herself down safely, but now someone else down safely. And then on top of that, unbeknownst to her at the time, there's this mental, psychological, emotional rescue that's also taking place. And this was just I think such a poignant story to share and it was. It was you know, emotional to read and research and write and obviously share because I had to be helped out twice. But yeah, so that that is the story of Pam Bales and the rescue of John.
Speaker 3: I love that they both had such a huge impact on one another's lives going forward. You know, if we're to assume that John, you know, survived and is doing well long term, obviously Pam literally saved his life, yes, but it sounds like John also had a huge impact on Pam's life. Even though you gave the disclaimer before you got into the story that you know this was going to touch on topic of suicide. I had kind of already forgot and that and just taking the story at face value. As you're sharing it and you know, telling it through Pam's point of view, I was thinking, Wow, this person's just unprepared, Like why are they not dressed properly, Why are they not wearing some type of waterproof shoes like all of these things, And yeah, you're taking in that face value, You're not. It's not human nature to assume that that person put themselves in that terrible situation intentionally to end their life. That's not it it goes against you in nature to even.
Speaker 1: Default to that assumption, right, right, yeah, And I think it was also very I mean, him writing that letter was huge of him to do, and I imagined that took well. Pam also mentioned she said it was just very brave of him, and it would it must have taken a lot for him to write that out and send it. And I did read in one source that there was a donation included in the letter, but obviously the letter is really what's important here, and definitely so yeah, and I found it interesting that in his letter he even acknowledges that He's like, I wanted to kill myself, I didn't want to kill anyone else, and this woman was not giving up on me, and so I knew that if I don't follow her now, I'm risking her life too, And that's not what I'm trying to do here, right at the.
Speaker 3: Very least, in that moment, Pam being responsible for him in return made him feel responsible for her. So even though in the moment he did not care what happened to himself, he felt a sense of responsibility because Pam cared for him, and he had to return that, you know, he returned that and ultimately saved his own life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, Like as much as she was focused on his safety because she's like I, even though you know, she needed to get back safely as well. But she was prepared, She had the right layers on, she had the right gear on her person. So she's looking at, you know this, what appears to be a very irresponsible person, a very ill prepared person, and his safety was really her priority at that point, And little did she know that at that same time, the only safety he cared about was hers, because if she wasn't up there with him, he had no regard for his own life or well being or safety. And so for them to not realize you know that, Yeah, it's just a yeah, it's a very heavy story.
Speaker 3: Definitely, But I also think a takeaway is that, again, we never know what other people are going through, what other people are dealing with, and sometimes just a even semi positive interaction or comment or gesture can be a defining moment in somebody's day or potentially even somebody's life, you know, depending on what they're going through. So just a reminder to be kind out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, any gesture, small or large, you really have no way of knowing the impact it has on someone else's life. So I think that is ultimately, as you said, just really the big takeaway from this, And just to reinforce this, if you are thinking about suicide, or you are worried about a friend or a loved one, or would like emotional support nine to eight eight. Lifeline network is available twenty four to seven across the United States.
Speaker 3: Great information, and I had never heard that story, so I'm so glad that you shared it.
Speaker 1: You're very welcome.
Speaker 3: All right, until next week, everybody.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening. Danielle and I do our own research and try our best to cross reference reliable sources to present the most accurate information we can. Please reach out to us at Off the Trails Podcast at gmail dot com if you believe we have mispresented any information during this episode, and we will be happy to correct ourselves in a future episode.
Speaker 2: And with that being said, if you enjoyed this episode, please rate and review us because it's feedback helps to continue improving the show for you. We'll give us a larger platform to reach more listeners. Follow us on Instagram at Off the Trail Podcast, where we share episode details and some fun, behind the scenes content, and most importantly, we get to interact with you and if you really like the show, for as little as three dollars a month, you can subscribe to our Patreon, where we have lots of great benefits for you to enjoy.