Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ramira on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio just search I on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Eye on About herel Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve Rivera, your blake eager, and I was gonna ask you. You've been around town all your life except for the time you left. Uh, when did baseball become part of your life and maybe impressionable for other people to watch?
Speaker 3: Ten years old day nineteen two two? For me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that you started paying attention and you saw this guy's pretty good or whatever?
Speaker 3: Oh, how good? Although I was playing with yeah oh to eight eight year old?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a kid in my little league that through absolute fuzz. And I think I got to play majors when I was nine, maybe ten.
Speaker 2: So don't tell me in your in your recollection and your memory bank, who are the top three five best player as you saw from Give me a time, give me.
Speaker 3: I mean, listen, it's gonna say.
Speaker 4: I think my generation for two Sonans is by far the best generation for baseball players in tu Son's history. I mean, you can make the argument, right, you had the Duncans, you had Harriston, you had Kensler, you had JJ Hardy, you had Would I'm just I'm just naming the Jamie Vermilia you had. I mean, just naming the big leaguers. Right then you start going down the list of guys. Every team you played had two guys that were pro guys. Mhm uh, I mean Pallaverdi had three top draft guys. You know, you had Jared Fuel, you had Will Smith, you had Jason Hannah. Like, it's it's why every literally every school you played had a minor league.
Speaker 3: But how so that's not Gilbert de Vera.
Speaker 2: That's not the same now right, It's not the no, no, no to the high school baseball Listen. And I hate to say this because I ran an academy for pretty much my adult life. But the development stage is now where you're just trying to go out and win trophies, like they're just trying to pick him pick the best players and go win.
Speaker 3: There's no development so high school level.
Speaker 4: And this isn't a knock on anybody, but there's no there's no sense of what high school was. There's a few out there, like there's some good high schools out there, but as a whole you look around, it's just you're not seeing developed competition. Why is that because you play year round. You've got coaches telling twelve year olds they need to pick one sport like it's absurd.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and you're against that. I'm one against that.
Speaker 4: I don't want to listen no offense to anybody, but I don't want a baseball mentality on the mound. I want a football mentality, Like, give me somebody that's not scared to run over somebody. Right, it's plus you're telling you're telling people like I tell you about this with girls softball, Like, I don't know how those girls by the time they're sixteen, you're just like, I never want to play the sport ever again. Right, you're spending every single weekend of your life and it's not like you're going to Phoenix. You're traveling over the country. Hey, I don't know how parents afford it. And then it's not a knock, but you don't have the development at that level. It's just you're trying to play as much you can. You're trying to take as many swings as you can. That's not really like there's too much going into the sport at this point. There's too much information out there to do that. I think it happens with soccer two I happened. I think it happens with every sport. Right you're getting into academy model. From a soccer standpoint, if you're in Europe or you're in South America, you're going into academy when you're ten. I mean you're looking in Asia America too. It's the same thing.
Speaker 2: Chinese, like Chinese ping pong players are going and playing at like six years old. So how would you fix it, or at least not fix it. Fix this is not the right word. How would you handle it?
Speaker 3: That's a really good question. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you can reverse the course we're on. But you're looking at look at the NBA. Look at where NBA players are coming from. Like the international game is huge, right They're they're not just playing basketball all year round right there, You're you're finding different athletes and going through the system. You're looking at baseball. Baseball is an international sport, but they're starting early, starting earlier, and the emphasis has to be on I think the mentality that winning doesn't really matter at a young age.
Speaker 3: They shouldn't.
Speaker 4: Who cares, Like nobody's asking nobody's asking me if I want a TENU championship on a resume, like nobody cares.
Speaker 2: Just what they'll guess what. We live in a place where that's all that matters, you know, who cares the most?
Speaker 4: Parents, that's and the coach is always wrong, the umpire is always wrong, you're my son's never wrong. My son he's not playing enough. It's like, well, you've got three big league coaches in the dog, Well he needs to play more. It's not the spot for you, like he's not good enough. Yeah, no, no, no, I don't. I don't disagree with you at all because it's true.
Speaker 2: And the parents, right, and they talk about winning, winning, winning, it's not about winning, it's about getting better.
Speaker 3: And it's my age, it's my age culture, right.
Speaker 4: I mean you look at parents all my age that were not raised like that, that are raised now. And we've had this conversation a couple of times that the action has to stop with them and they have to say, listen, I don't care if they get a trophy, like I don't care if they get a ring, like are they becoming better human beings?
Speaker 3: Should be your number one question.
Speaker 4: Are they second questions should be are they having fun?
Speaker 3: Maybe you can flip flop both of them.
Speaker 4: If both some of them are, yes, you're in a really good situation in life.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, I totally agree with you, and I wish more people would think that way. How realistic is it today to have parents think that way?
Speaker 4: I mean, you're asking the person this is what I went through, right, I mean you're you actually coach like it's not realistic, it's and it's not realistic.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's say we had unrealistic in every fifteen we have fifteen kids.
Speaker 2: You're just a number fifteen kids, and of the parents, how many of those believe that? I listen, there's a handful of people that But yeah, agree, Yeah, it's not like it's not one hundred percent across the board. But how many times did your parents ever talk to a coach? My dads were friends with them. So, but he's not your playing. He didn't talk about that.
Speaker 3: I was good. I was good, But no, that never happened. Never happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, if I wasn't good enough, because what I wasn't good enough? Yeah, it's wild to me yeah, no, it ended with my time. I think with my and I had friends whose parents did that, you know, and we knew who they were.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you couldn't stand them. There were our friends. It's not that was in it.
Speaker 4: We just says, why he's just not good, and that's a hard it's maybe it's just not the line where they want to go, right, Like maybe they're just not athletic, and that's okay. Yeah I'm not very smart, that's okay, right, I try to make do with what I've got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's not enough fit in where you fit in, right, or getting where you fit in, or well he's a heckless Evins player, or he's a heck of a guy to help with a whatever.
Speaker 4: I'm an only child, so obviously you can take that how you want. But my parents did a really good job at a very young age of making sure that to choose a path that I was that I cared about. But I like I thoroughly. I enjoyed going to work, right, and that's that's not always the case. You don't always get that option, true, right, So outside of that, there should be some kind of self sustainability where it's work life balance, whatever you want to call it. Yeah, I think you're putting so much pressure on these young kids to perform at a level that's unrealistic to the most quest degree that you're you've got You've got eleven year olds that are and listen, they came to me taking pitching lessons, taking any of the lessons, taking catching lessons. Then they're going to a personal trainer, and then they're going to like, let's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe step back a little Todd marinovi Che, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Give him a bucket of rice, get your hand in there, see how much you can develop those forums, and then go from there.
Speaker 3: That's funny.
Speaker 2: No coach Nopus said this last time he was on you were on here, But I think this is when he was personally on, said one of the parents or one of the kids talks about you know, because he teaches with his sons. Right, one of the kids came up and said something to me. I got a calls. I'll bring up the story. It was when I was on Okay, Hello, you're on the air nine of the ball. Who's this Hello, You're on the air.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hello, Jim, turn off that radio you call him from the past. Hello, Hey, what happened. You turn off the radio so you can get us in real time? What's off?
Speaker 5: And I couldn't even hear you?
Speaker 3: Guys, Hey, it's yes, Well your thoughts? What's up?
Speaker 5: Well, we're talking about I spend a little time at I coached for eight or nine years in the Little leagues and juniors and pony leagues. And Blake, is that your guests name?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I hope.
Speaker 5: So I agree with what you said that and what Steve said, primarily that you know, you've got to sell the team and the parents on the idea that.
Speaker 6: This is done.
Speaker 5: Best with twelve people who man who play a role, not necessarily a position, but they play a role which we map out them as their performance changes or grows during the year. And sometimes your role is, you know, have your butt on the bench.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jim, let me ask you real quick, how long did you coach? And who was your last year?
Speaker 5: Oh? Man, twenty ten was probably the last year I did it. And I coached for ten years.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so not a long time. But sometimes so when did it start to change? Maybe it's probably started to change before you, but did you see it change on you?
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what I what I noticed, Steve is you know, and one of the reasons I got involved is kids had a hard time having success hitting the ball. Just a really difficult process to master, and nobody really masters it, but to gain some consistency, I should say. And and so we tried to give kids and I think we did that. Jay would attest to that, we give them the fundamentals, and our two or three approaches of that, Blake's probably hurt all of them.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: We focused on rotation, a little bit of batley lag and looking for a fastball out over the outside part of the play if you want to hit the ball consistency. So kids had a hard time with, you know, learning to hit, learning why they're not hitting with another thing. And then soccer. I mean I wasn't a soccer guy, so I don't want to come down on that, but I mean, baseball, you're swinging at a hard ball, that's what is it, two and a half inches in diameter something like that, and it's harder to hit it than it is the mythic soccer. You're dealing with a ten or eleven inch ball, and if you whiff on a soccer ball, you must be blind. So just the contact. The field of success is a little different, a little easier to achieve, and so we started seeing the numbers in the league start to slowly drop. Yeah, and that was ten twelve more years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, right, Okay, Well, thanks Jim for the call. Gotta go.
Speaker 3: Okay, I appreciate it, right, thanks for listening. Kay, welcome. So so Blake, So you.
Speaker 2: Were on the call, But did you talk about I don't know if you were here when we talked about this though, that he was.
Speaker 3: Teaching the kids and talking the kids.
Speaker 2: And maybe batting or whatever it was, and the guy says, well, you.
Speaker 3: Need to do Lopez is telling you need to do this. Do this, coach. Offensive players are the ones who make the money.
Speaker 2: No, don't get paid to hit. Yeah, don't get paid aunt right yeah not coffee baby.
Speaker 3: That's a unbelievable to me.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Literally, you have the chance that you're talking him, one of the greatest college coaches of all.
Speaker 3: Time, like some ten eleven twelve year old saying this. Yeah, that's it is Back in.
Speaker 2: My day when I told when Jason Terry was playing and he was, you know, defensive player and he didn't make the All Star team or something coach, you know, well, defensive players don't drive Cadillacs. Then he kind of looked at me. Shut up. You know, he was kind to me, but because it's all stupid. Yeah, I mean, what does it matter? Just win, just playing.
Speaker 4: It's like Jack McDowell, right, the old picture for the White Sox and everybody like he didn't have great eras, but they won a lot of games, right, That's all that matters in the today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, crazy crazy about sports, especially with the kids. And it's gonna get worse because it's all end the result. Yeah, I mean, we'll see. You wouldn't go back, would I go back?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And do which part? Coach? I I hope.
Speaker 4: I don't want to Alma helmbta No, I mean I did it forever, right, Like that was a phase of my life that I think I'm over with. I'd like to continue on what I'm doing now. Yeah, everythink I provide more to the community at this point. Yeah, but you know what I'm saying, it's give him the chance, and it gave me some scratch and I would lose my mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, especially at a certain teaching, certain age of kids. Yeah, you've got it's just yeah, well I'll give you this. Uh could you coach? What agentes or you had? My academy was nine, you to I had up to eighteen years. Okay, so you had you had a bride. I went to go substitute teach here when the paper closed, just to pass the time and earn some money. I did it for a friend who went and got all my grades here. So it's it's junior high. You know me, I'm gonna I'm gonna be helping with pe YadA YadA. I'll enjoy the kids have fun. It was the worst experience of my life.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They were using words I've never even heard of. Yeah, and I'm thinking to other people, says, how is this allowed?
Speaker 3: What did they?
Speaker 2: Just as long as the building name burning, we're doing okay, and I you last of the week, last of the week.
Speaker 3: I couldn't deal with it. Were you so?
Speaker 2: Were you a substitute or yeah? I was a substitute. So yeah, first of that strike one What year was this maybe five six years ago? Probably pretty COVID And I'm thinking, oh god, I'll never.
Speaker 3: I couldn't do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was too stressful and I didn't want to do it anymore. I just so I didn't I played after a week. I mean, it's that's that's an occupation to me. That's wild, right, because you're you're a teacher. You've got to have a college degree, right, Yeah, you're gonna and there's plenty of teacher jobs out there.
Speaker 4: You're gonna find a position. It might not be in the place that you want to, but you're probably gonna find a position. But you get on campus, especially in Arizona, especially in Tucson, you're making thirty four thousand dollars a year, you can't dictate, you can't take away cell phones from kids like they're they're.
Speaker 3: Literally able to do it.
Speaker 4: And then after that you've got to answer to their parents and you're like, what am I doing?
Speaker 3: Why am I doing this?
Speaker 4: Like I get I get a lot of occupations, and I listen, more power to them. We definitely need great teachers that obviously a special person. It is that is a sometimes a very thankless job, and you're definitely not doing it for the money, no question. But you know what, you get two months off a year to go figure out another job, right, and then realize.
Speaker 3: You've got to go back. Yeah, you gotta go. Yeah, right now.
Speaker 1: It's your chance to win one thousand dollars. What just enter this nationwide keyword on our website. Bonus, that's bonus.
Speaker 6: Enter right now.
Speaker 3: Are you ready?
Speaker 7: Ready to discover your soul, your wild sidne, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 3: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 7: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 3: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco Yuki Tribe.
Speaker 8: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Tim, We'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 9: Spring is in the air and the school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete.
Speaker 3: Creative Awards with fifty two years as.
Speaker 9: Your top awards and promotional product supplier. Give them an award they can be proud of. They have trophies, plaques, acrylics, art class fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street, across the street from Pema College downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com at.
Speaker 10: Noble Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity. Got to commitment to Lyndrix syon credit rates and available loan programs of subject to change the NUNT notice.
Speaker 3: Did you know?
Speaker 11: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking to start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in.
Speaker 3: Sports cards and trading card games.
Speaker 12: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all check them out at Showtimecards dot com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trush showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 9: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a wildcatfan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Baccall five two oh seven to four to Zho twelve thirteen, broud sponsor of I on the Ball.
Speaker 13: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 6: Mining so important.
Speaker 14: It's the foundation of everything that defines the society. Everything you see is a product of mine, No matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the intervals a process.
Speaker 6: That's why mining is so important.
Speaker 15: Gobm dot com.
Speaker 8: Looking for quality windows without the weight, come to the Window Depot. We carry a huge selection of mill guard windows in stock now and ready for pickup. Need something custom no problem, from new construction to full home replacement. Will help you order the perfect mill guard windows built to fit your space, style and budget. Whether you're a homeowner or contractor, the Window Depot makes it easy to get the windows you need fast. Visit the window Deepot dot com to find a location near you and see why we're your mill guard window experts.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteenth fifding. I want to take part in the show called up Steve now went five two oh four one, six seventy four fortnight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera. You're Blake Eager Now on the phone. I think we have Corey Williams Corey's issue.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, how you doing fine?
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 6: I can't complain, can't complain? Good, good, good, It's a little hot.
Speaker 2: Everybody's under the same conditions. Then let me ask you back nineteen ninety six, you were senior. You're playing in a Desert Classic.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And when you're playing in the Desert Classic, what are you thinking in a few months, I'm gonna be ready for the NBA or what what is the hope of a twenty one year old and twenty two year old?
Speaker 6: Well, the Desert Classic you're bringing back fond memories. For me, I was a fringe player.
Speaker 16: I was a guy who because I played at Arizona, we had a solid program.
Speaker 6: I came on strong my senior year.
Speaker 16: I had a very very thin shot to get my name called.
Speaker 6: At the very end of the draft, they were saying that I could go anywhere between fifty two and fifty eight. Now, you know, I was just like hoping just to hear my name called. I knew I wasn't going to be a lock first round guy.
Speaker 16: I knew that if I just wanted the opportunity to try to make a team in the NBA.
Speaker 6: So for me, everything happened very fast.
Speaker 16: My performance in the NCAA tournament turned the head of a lot of scouts and I quickly got added to some of these lists for the Desert Classic and the Chicago pre draft workout, so I got thrown in the mix of the very end of my career. So I was just blown away that I was considered one of the top forty seniors in the country. I was super excited to have the opportunity to play. So for me, I just was on cloud nine. But I was also felt pretty confident. I felt like I was an undiscovered secret. I had kind of been a team Arizona, but getting to the next level you really had to show yourself. So I was excited about the opportunity.
Speaker 3: And I can't remember what exactly happened.
Speaker 6: I did not get drafted.
Speaker 16: One of my claims to fame is being a part of that nineteen ninety six draft, and if people google it, they will see that, to my my opinion, is probably the best draft in NBA history when you look at the level of players that were in.
Speaker 6: The nineteen ninety six draft. Also in nineteen ninety.
Speaker 16: Six, I believe there were twenty six underclassmen that declared.
Speaker 6: That was the first year of the big.
Speaker 16: Push of underclassmen coming out early, and there were some pretty solid players that came out early, and they altered the draft and I just ended up on the outside of the second round.
Speaker 6: And I know now I'm not bitter about it. It is what it is.
Speaker 16: It was a hell of a draft class that was the beginning of people leaving school early in ninety six.
Speaker 6: And you know, I still ended up having a good career and a great experience.
Speaker 16: But yeah, ninety six was was was a definitely a life altering time for me and for the NBA as well.
Speaker 2: So if you're Caleb Love who by all intensive purposes, we think he's an NBA guy, right, Coach Lloyd believes that wholeheartedly, as he should, but everyone's many people aren't saying that he is. Well, what would he be thinking one? And what do you think his hopes are?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 16: I think the crazy part about it is there's a group of men who decide what names get called later on the night. They don't pay attention to Instagram, they don't pay attention to Twitter, they don't pay attention to Nil, they don't pay attention to people's mother's, grandmother's well wishers or girlfriends. So what happens tonight is a few people's opinion, and their opinion comes out in the form of the draft. The very last player added to the nineteen ninety six as a classic was a guy nobody had ever heard of from a little over university called Derek Fisher. He just got added at the last minute. Somebody got hurt and Fisher was the last guy added, and we all know what an NBA career he had. So the big thing for guys, no matter what names get called tonight, you still write your own story.
Speaker 6: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 16: There's so many different ways into the NBA now more than ever, whatever happens on draft night is not the be all end all of it.
Speaker 6: You've got an opportunity to.
Speaker 16: Play, You've got an opportunity to play summer league basketball, You've got free agency, you can go to Europe and call your way back to the NBA. But you can't look at this as the coronation because I know guys whose names.
Speaker 6: Did get called and.
Speaker 16: They never played any beyond their rookie contract. So I think so much is made of it as a benchmarking for talent and an ultimate goal. But your ultimate goal is to get better every year as a player. And yes, obviously make it to the NBA at one point, but where you get picked, if you're Gilbert Arenas, did that really impact? Did that decide whether or not Gilbert Arenas was going to be an NBA player?
Speaker 6: I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, But gil was the second round.
Speaker 3: Pick, yeah, early second, and he was the.
Speaker 6: Cover of NBA two K. So you've got to look at it.
Speaker 16: And it's hard to tell a young person nineteen twenty twenty one years old to have an older person's perspective on tonight, but they you've got to because no matter what happens tonight, you're gonna have to.
Speaker 6: Show up somewhere and hoop. So you didn't get your mind right real quick. If you like your draft spot, if you don't like your draft spot, if you did get.
Speaker 16: Drafted the corner, everything changes. There's no empathy, there's no sympathy. You're in the business of you now. You know you've got to be a one man. You got to sell yourself, You've got to perform.
Speaker 6: You got to have your head right, your mental health, your physical health, all of it is now on you.
Speaker 16: And I literally say the training wheels have come off your career right, and it's literally up to you at this point.
Speaker 3: At what point, because You're a bright dude.
Speaker 2: We all know that, and I know that very well having covered you, and you know our friend you you're When did you realize it's a business. If you already knew going in, you probably already knew what's going in.
Speaker 16: I realized it was a business when I went to play for the Milwaukee Bucks the summer of nineteen ninety six. They had already drafted Ray Allen, so they really didn't need a two guard, but Johnny Newman was getting.
Speaker 6: Old and they wanted to replacement. So I'm in there playing with Sherm Douglas and I'm absolutely killing it.
Speaker 16: In summer camp, We're going two times a day. I'm knocking down every shot I throw up. I'm playing defense, I'm grabbing boards. Chris Ford is looking at me, like, man, this kid can play, This Williams kid out of Arizona, and I'm like, not only I know I'm coming in auditioning for Ray Allen's backup, but I'm a pretty good player and I've got a chance to make this team. Steve, I've got a real chance to make the Milwaukee Bucks team in the fall, because they literally don't have any two guards. About the fifth day of a five day two a days, but we'll go two hard practices a day. On the fourth day, three or four guys come into camp that were never there, and a handful of.
Speaker 6: Us get bumped and cut.
Speaker 16: Right before we take the flight to Los Angeles to play in the Long Beach Summer Pro Am. I got cut from the team because the three or four guys that they.
Speaker 6: Decided to take and added the last second.
Speaker 16: They were being added to the team as a favor to Magic Johnson. They had got through playing in one of his amateur semi pro tour situations, and he called in a favor with Chris Ford and said, hey, can you let my guys play for the Bucks this summer? And four legitimate hoopers that had busted their butt all week got cut a day before we were set to go to LA to make room for some guys who.
Speaker 6: Played at UIC.
Speaker 16: Not to trash their program, but they were not even nowhere close to being on our level, but they were touring with Magic Johnson's little semi pro all Star team. Magic called in a favor. We got bumped, and that gut wrenching me laying in a hotel crying experience introduced me to the business of basketball. It wasn't loud Olsen where the best guys play. It wasn't you have a good weekend practice you get rewarded with minutes.
Speaker 6: It wasn't merit based anymore.
Speaker 16: It was a business, and who your agent was and who your friends were had a great deal of impact on who got opportunities.
Speaker 6: I'm so glad I learned that lesson.
Speaker 16: Four months out of college, not even four months, two and a half, three months out of college.
Speaker 6: It was July.
Speaker 16: I was in a hotel crying my eyes out because I had never been wronged like that before.
Speaker 6: And you know, we.
Speaker 16: Talked about meritocracy in sports, that's why people love them, because they are a meritocracy. But the business side of it, who gets opportunities, whether we're talking about Bronnie James getting with the Lakers and all the dust up and that that caused, or you know, who gets invited to camp, and who makes teams and who doesn't make teams. It's so layered that you have to develop thick skin instantly, otherwise you're just simply not gonna make it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mike Kin, I think yeah, No, Corey, I mean what you were you able to do and everything like that was incredible. But so at that moment, what was your what was your thought process? What was your next step in that journey? Because I think I think we've all been in that position in some kind of way or shape or form in life. What did you do in that in that moment that got you to.
Speaker 3: This point because you're so successful.
Speaker 6: Well, it was a lot.
Speaker 16: Of what my father put in me and a lot of what I picked up from Coach Olsen. I had my little pity party for about twenty five thirty minutes. Then I walked down there and asked me with the coaches and we met.
Speaker 6: I'll never forget we.
Speaker 16: Met at the lobby and the matter of the marriag got down there in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and I shook everyone's hand. I said, thank you for this opportunity. I just wanted to know, you know, what do I need to improve on? Can you give me any feedback to make me a better player? Obviously you know I wasn't good enough for this. And it was met with absolute silence. They did not say anything. They offered me no feedback because they knew that wasn't what this was about.
Speaker 6: And I'll never.
Speaker 16: Forget looking at Chris Ford. He couldn't even look me in the eye.
Speaker 6: And I knew a Scott feeling sorry for myself.
Speaker 16: B don't burn any bridges, go shake their hands, be professional.
Speaker 6: You'll get another opportunity.
Speaker 16: And I had a very similar situation happened, but the other way. The following summer, I played for the Phoenix.
Speaker 6: Suns and they had no room for me.
Speaker 16: But Danny Ainge loved my hustle and he said, I normally, you know, we've got Jeff Honisek and Jason Kitt we don't need you, but you busted your butt in camp. If you can pay your own way to Salt Lake City, you can play for the Suns this summer. I can't fly you on the plane, but if you're there, we'll get you in a jersey.
Speaker 6: And that was one.
Speaker 16: Of the situations where you know, fortunate and luck swung my way, but I earned it. But the quickest thing I did in that situation is you stop the pity party and you don't burn bridges, and you try to become solution based, like, Okay, what do I want and how do I make that happen. It's hard to change gears after you've been punched in the gut. I mean, as adults, we've been through those situations before. But man, for the kids that don't get called tonight, you got to bounce back.
Speaker 6: If you really love basketball as much as you say.
Speaker 16: I mean, I played basketball anywhere they would let me for the following twenty twenty six months. Twenty seven months after leaving college, I played in Manila, I played in the Philippines. I rode on buses semi pro. I remember playing in Canada for two hundred and fifty dollars a week, chasing the dream, and then finally the moment I was ready to quit, everything fell into place and I played another eight years in Europe after that. So mentality is everything. You write your own narrative, you write your own script, be professional, and make sure you give yourself opportunities, don't burn bridges, create alliances, and you're.
Speaker 6: Giving yourself the best shot of their career.
Speaker 2: So now here we are with Caleb Love, a guy who's not listed in many places whereas muck drafts, but we see that he has that ability to play at the next level.
Speaker 16: What are your thoughts, Caleb Love when you talk about an NBA player you're talking about a game changer, and Caleb Love is no question a game changer.
Speaker 6: He was at the head of everyone's scouting report for the last two years at Arizona.
Speaker 16: Not a lot of players who have been the go to guy for two years in a row at Arizona, so.
Speaker 6: He, by that definition, is an NBA level player.
Speaker 16: When you talk to coaches what's the key to beating Arizona, the first name out of their.
Speaker 6: Mouth was we got to stop Caleb Love.
Speaker 16: Why because he can knock down five or six three pointers like somebody getting out of bed.
Speaker 6: He's that good.
Speaker 16: Now, The fact that he saw every gimmick defense known to man, He saw every variation they sent defenders at him, gimmick defenses all season, and he still managed to have a quality season shows you that there's a lot of talent there and a lot of time. You have guys sitting on players hoping that nobody else drafts them.
Speaker 6: You even have guys bad mouthing guys.
Speaker 16: We always plan to take Kayle Love with the thirty second pick, but we didn't want anybody to know that. So the the prognostictors are all full of it.
Speaker 6: The websites are all full of it.
Speaker 16: The only people who know what's gonna happen are the people in that war room.
Speaker 6: Steve.
Speaker 16: There's gonna be names called from Europe tonight that you and I have ever heard of. It's going to be a domino effect. But the thing about it is, you know, with two ways in the G League, there's tons of success stories. There's more pathways than ever to the NBA.
Speaker 6: So I think Caleb loves an NBA talent.
Speaker 16: I think any team that has a good insight presence, you want to surround those guys.
Speaker 6: With a player like Caleb Love. He without questioning his size and strength.
Speaker 16: His ability to shoot the ball, He's a no brainer. I I would say, talent wise, You've got to show me anybody else in the country that's revered as much for their outside shots as Caleb Love was.
Speaker 6: That's this past year.
Speaker 16: I mean, if you're if you're taking scorers, there's only a handful of guys that I think shooting on.
Speaker 6: The level of Caleb Love.
Speaker 16: So I'd be surprised if he went undrafted because there's just not guys that can shoot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you got guys that.
Speaker 16: Can jump and dunk and rebound, and there are no defenders. Let's just get that out there in the open playing defense. But man, the name of the game is knocking down shots, and Caleb Love can do that. You can make them a defender, you can you know, make them a team player.
Speaker 6: But man, what you can't do at.
Speaker 16: This stage of a player's development. You can't fix anybody's jumper. If you're if it's draft night and your jumper is so so, it's probably not going to improve over the course of your career.
Speaker 6: So I'd be surprised, But I think he's definitely an NBA player.
Speaker 16: I would I would be taking Caleb Love early second round, no question about it.
Speaker 4: When's the last player that was drafted just because of his defense? Or who was that? Because you just said that, I thought about that.
Speaker 16: Ninety six was the year Alan Iverson was in that draft, and it was also when you started to see a change in Reggie Gary was drafted out of Arizona to go to Cleveland and he was known as a defender.
Speaker 6: Ninety six. You know, Jason Kidd was a West Coast guard a couple of years, a year or two earlier. Who win the earlier draft?
Speaker 16: Who was you know, assist guy? They didn't take him for us jump shot. They took him for his ability to run the team, being a bruiser and a defender and a shot blocker. They stopped using draft picks on those guys in the early two thousands. I don't know specifically who it was, but I do know when they remove move the hand check from the NBA game to free up Allen Iverson, they made a conscious effort We're gonna be all about scoring, and the teams followed too. You used to be able to get a job in the NBA Steam You remember there in the eighties and nineties, there was two or three goons on air.
Speaker 6: Yeah, guys who just got to check the foul people.
Speaker 16: Michael Jordan had enforcers, Isaiah Thomas had enforcers. You know, every team had two or three guys whose job it was protect the star and protect the rim. And you know, it's funny because everybody looks at Draymond Green and I'm like, Draymond Green is just the guy through some miracle time travel. He's in eighties basketball play, Yeah, and he's playing. You guys are so enthralled by him. He's every team had three Draymonds in the eighties and even more in the seventies. So you look at you know, getting drafted for your defense, getting drafted for your ability to rebound. Now you're shooting in the dark. You're drafting a nineteen year old kid with one year of basketball under his belt for a coach who knows if he listened or paid attention, and then previous to that, it's just five years of AAU basketball Right, Well, that's that's the profile of your first round pick.
Speaker 2: Well, you're right, and guess what happens to be Arizona has one of those guys in in the Carter.
Speaker 6: Carterbryant.
Speaker 16: You liked what you saw, but you didn't It's hard to figure out.
Speaker 6: What you're seeing is crumbs on the table.
Speaker 16: Okay, they forgot to box out Carter because they were focused on Toby. Oh he got the three because Jayden broke. Like, what with the things that you saw out of Carter? Why are you seeing them? Are you seeing them because he's he's coming off the bench, or are you seeing them because he's the fourth or fifth option and nobody's thinking about him. See Caleb Love and Jaden had the ball in their hands out front.
Speaker 6: They're seeing hedges.
Speaker 16: Teams traps, second defenders coming, They're seeing junk defenses boxing ones.
Speaker 6: Carter Bryant was.
Speaker 16: Not the defensive focus of the coaches in the Big Twelve. And that is not to take away from how great he is. I think Carter Bryant is on some Tracy McGrady type trajectory.
Speaker 6: He's going to be a hooper.
Speaker 16: But he's very hard to evaluate because he didn't have the offensive weight of the Arizona basketball program on his shoulders. At no point was that placed on his shoulders. Could hit a couple of three. When he would hit a couple of threes, and he'd shine and look good. You know, I'm in the barbershop arguing, well, Carter Bryant should play more minutes. That's like saying Corey Williams hit four threes in the Final four against Arkansas, he should have played the whole game. No, I hit those threes because we had two NBA guards that were cold and Nolan Richardson was daring me to shoot. I wasn't a four to three pointed game player as a sophomore Arizona. But you know that it all fit all factors into it. Carter Bryant's skill set, his height. But what I love about the kid, he's got so much heart. He's a good kid. He's going to be a hooper. But somebody's gonna have to bet on his upside and his promise because we don't have a huge cross section of work to look at.
Speaker 6: When you talk about Carter Briant.
Speaker 2: Right right, I mean last thing real quick, if you can't know, I totally agree it. He'll probably go in the top twelve for sure.
Speaker 3: House things. How are things going at the Tucson Summer League?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 16: You know it's boys and girls ages ten to thirteen. What else could be better? I mean, we're having fun. We're playing basketball, you know, just letting the kids play free. We have coaches, but it's really an open style of play. That's the age where kids fall in love with basketball, and that's our whole folkus prevent, you know, create a safe space for these kids to hoop, learn about themselves, play with kids from all over the city.
Speaker 6: And really enjoy basketball.
Speaker 16: Because you know, once you start getting co coaching and training and club, you know, basketball can beat the life out of gas if they're over exposed. So we're just trying to slow that process down and give the kids, a fun, fun outlet, knowing that the current culture and climate of youth basketball perfect.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Corey. We'll take uh, we'll take a look at what happens tonight. Appreciate your time as always, no problem. You gotta take care of than Corey Williams. He's talking about exactly what we were talking about at the end with you just enjoy enjoy your time when you're playing ball, no matter what it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, uh we got to go about a minute. Uh no, what he just said right now is like the greatest thing ever. So when I was coaching in Sweden, we would do these school visits to pe classes right to try to get because nobody knew about baseball over there, right, it's hockey.
Speaker 3: You'd live or die.
Speaker 4: So you get these kids to come out to the baseball field and you literally just let them play the game. And that was the greatest time ever because I would just throw it and run around and play with them, just kids being kids.
Speaker 2: And it's a great novel. Hell novel is up right? Yeah, yeah, okay, take a break, come back.
Speaker 3: If you're an.
Speaker 2: Arizona Man's basketball fan, you'd know it's been successful for nearly forty years now, take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 6: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 17: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 18: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve Arizona.
Speaker 12: Health from leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty.
Speaker 3: Second and will not What's your goal? A new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college?
Speaker 9: PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreeer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance.
Speaker 3: With the Edmund.
Speaker 2: Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three three to three.
Speaker 6: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 17: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health of course to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else.
Speaker 18: At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading manage and exercise equipment On twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 19: Craving, Tucson's Best Burger, the Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years, and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary, Summer Bash and year end celebration, So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 20: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's pieas means more money in your pocket, let's hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less is More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union where less is more federally insured by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio wipp This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to me on the bar here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty on Steve Rivera, your Blake Eager.
Speaker 2: We have a little time, maybe seven minutes before we call it a day. We want love with Corey Goo's good stuff, good show today, mister Eager. Despite us Jason Gardner and Corey Williams. Yeah, I mean, you couldn't asked for two better guests. You did a great job. It's funny because I didn't know some of the stuff that I knew about the because that's why I asked the question about the cactus plastic or the summer thing in Phoenix, but I didn't realize the Milwaukee thing. I didn't realize a couple of other things with Corey because he had a pretty good career overseas, and like I say, with Caleb, whether he's in the NBA or not. I wish I had his career hit his future, because he's gonna.
Speaker 3: Have his career future.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think when Jason Gardner said it, we obviously knew it, but I didn't even think about it. I mean, to be an All conference player in three different conferences and three of the five power conferences. M h, it's pretty impressive, right, highly regarded ACC and Big twelve at that point, right, Maybe not so much Back twelve in the last couple of years or decades or maybe two decades, but yeah, very very very highly regarded. And you know what the difference is now is basketball is such a sport where and I've seen this from a financial standpoint, you can make a living playing overseas, oh right, and have quality, really good living very on.
Speaker 3: So you can't.
Speaker 4: You really can't do that in football. There's really nothing overseas anymore. That German League's pretty much dead.
Speaker 3: Then fail one.
Speaker 4: Uh, baseball you can, it's just very specific a lot of Winter League.
Speaker 3: But I mean, how is.
Speaker 2: Life if you don't mind me, how was life at Double A or whatever you do? It's grind, yeah, but financially, oh.
Speaker 4: It's not great. You're not going to get I mean you're not as a minor league player. Now, it's way better. They're they're in the union, right, so they have salaries. They fall into the same union as Major League Baseball for MLBPA, so they much better than when I was playing. But you don't really make that much money until your six year can you can renegatiate your contract after and the miners. Yeah, so then if you've got double, A, triple A major league experience, you can make quite a bit of money.
Speaker 3: And then you make a lot of money in Winter League.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, but but again you're getting to do what you want to do and the only thing you really want to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much. Yeah, it's I mean, it's professional sports, right.
Speaker 2: Sure, what did you say? Okay, this is what I want to do the rest of my life too? Two and you can you can say that confidently. But you were thinking this too.
Speaker 4: The only the only time I don't think I've ever said another profession in my life.
Speaker 2: I was giving given me by bottle. I want my bottle. Yeah, yeah, I still asked for the bottle though. Yeah. It makes sense. Your only child, Yeah, that comes with its own complications.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I am the only child with both my parents and both sets of grandparents here, and I was the only part was spoiled.
Speaker 3: I was unbelievably spoiled. Yeah, it kind of makes sense now, Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, it definitely made the checks, all the boxes, all all all, uh, all roads to lead to spoiled.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We get a chance for one call if you'd like to call five two o four one six seventy four forty if you want to call and agree with with anybody that's talked today about even today's kids sports. We talk about this a lot because you coached them and I kind of coached them. You had kids, sucker kids. Yeah, it's not it's sports. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I did X. My ex was a soccer player, so she started with it. I was on the road a lot with the teams, so uh and then they turned out to be pretty good players.
Speaker 3: So that's good. Yeah good. You've talked about that before. Yeah, yeah, that's incredible.
Speaker 2: So I mean, come on, anybody who's a parent with who has kids who play sports and turned out to be Okay, you're pretty good.
Speaker 4: My poor, my poor dad came to every soccer game I ever played it. And then let's just say I was not a good soccer. Well, it takes a it takes a knack because I wasn't either. But I'm sure he was at every baseball game then too. No, he never came to my baseball. No, my dad would sleep. But my dad would sleep on my couches in college. You drive all the way to Denver to come watch. Very cool and so my mom, that's special. That was super special. Hell, you're on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 3: Who's this? I see?
Speaker 15: This is done?
Speaker 9: How you doing?
Speaker 3: Hey? Don good?
Speaker 2: We got about three minutes, three minutes, Okay, I.
Speaker 15: Just wanted.
Speaker 2: Oh you broke and I went to the drive through. Yeah, you broke it up. We wait, wait, started again and started again because you broke up.
Speaker 15: I just want to pick up what we were talking to you guys were talking about the youth.
Speaker 3: Sports and stuff earlier. Yeah, and I coached.
Speaker 15: I coached Little league and up the pony and stuff from ninety five to six. And I did some recreational stuff, like in winter ball with some of the guys. We went and played before we got to we were still in the majors, and we went played high school rules for one year just for the heck of it, and stuff just to have some fun and stuff like that. And had I had a friend that he had a daughter played ball.
Speaker 3: Here in town. She went to a Pac.
Speaker 15: Ten school and didn't make it to the spring with the pressure that the game came and stuff. And we always thought that, you know, for most kids, they only have certain amount of innings in them and when they reach it, they're done. And I always thought it was unfair for the girls to play competitive ball. They have to play tournaments all the time, so it's blood and gut every weekend, not like where the boys play in a Pony league or American Legion and stuff, and you get to play a whole season and then at the end of the season you get to play the tournament for the championships.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you're absolutely right down. But they had Bobby Socks forever. That was kind of the league structure, wasn't it for the girls?
Speaker 15: Well it was, but then when girls started Bobby socks is kind of well when back when I was doing it at the at the turn of the century, it seemed to be it seemed to start lagging a lot. It didn't it didn't seem as big as it was when when my sisters were playing back in the eighties, and I just think that. You know, I got to be All Star manager a couple of times, and I had I had parents come to me like, hey, my son has been raising money and doing all this stuff and he has his church camp and this and that and he but he didn't want to lose his spot on the All Star team. And I said, hey, your kid earned his spot here. He can go to camp, but just know he's going to be behind in the you know, the coach trying to get the team together from all the guys from the different teams and stuff. But hey, let him go to camp. And he's still an All Star in my in my eyes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, always we got to go.
Speaker 15: I always hated the guys limited the rosters too.
Speaker 3: But okay, thanks guys, Hey, thanks thanks for getting us to the end. Here we are. Thanks for coming in. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah sure of course, uh thanks for coming in. Yeah, thanks for having me. Sorry I was running late. No, no deal with adult situations. You you'll run your laps after today. Thanks everybody for listening. I'll be in tomorrow. I see what goes on. I'll be here Friday and then get on Monday and taking some time off. Let us know where you're saying so we can all send you nasty notes. Please come to Denver, she said no,