Speaker 1: I want to mention something that's fascinating. If people go to USGS dot gov, this is fascinating. The past day, thirty nine earthquakes worldwide and I'm amazed at this. So USGS is incredible. I want you to describe the organization the government agency in the moment. But I'm looking here, doctor, fifty four earthquakes the other day. Thirty nine earthquakes in the recent twenty four hours, and some as high as a six point two on the Richter scale. That's incredible. I mean, is that something you see all the time, that number of earthquakes or is this something that's just all.
Speaker 2: The time to you all the time. And so the thing is, so let's talk a little bit about earthquakes and why yes, absolutely well, we think of the Earth we live on as something that's rigid, solid and just completely sturdy, but the Earth is really a dynamic planet. There's always motion happening at depth, and we are living on the very very very surface cross the cross of the Earth is really really not thick. I mean, in the ocean's five to ten kilometers and the continental continental cross is twenty five feet seventy kilometers of fifteen to forty fifty forty five miles. It's not that sick. I mean when you think of the radius of the earth, which is what doctor skuy yes, if.
Speaker 1: You look at it, I look at the right, I look at the diameter, and twenty six miles. I guess I'm stuck on mileage. And you know, it's amazing doctor, the guest that we have. Everybody talks, I guess in the scientific term of kilometers. But maybe I better get with the program and understand the conversion, right.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, yes, but anyways, just a matter of scale, this is we're just if you think of you blow bubbles with soap, we're just the surface of that. That's where we're. So that's a cross and there's multiple layers in the earth, and you know, there's a core that's solid, there's a part that that liquid, and then there's the mantle that's kind of a transition transitional space there. And the crust is really the upper stiff part that is there. And what happens in the mantle underneath us it's semi fluids, it's not completely solid. There's convection cells underneath, and and what what is a convection convection cell is that you have a motion of matter and heat that goes kind of in a circle and it kind of feeds things like your one what do you call that? The what do you call that? I'm sorry? In the airport, the the thing that moves so the crust, the crust is pushed by you know, like a conveyor belt. And physically we have if you remember from like let me country school, great, you know high school, there's a lot of there's tectonic plates, right, So the cross itself is kind of formed by these these shapes that embricate next to each other and they're just touching each other, and we have not underneath imagine these convection cells that really want to push the plates and move them. So the earth is there and there's always this motion, and eventually the plates they want to move, they want to move, and eventually those the forces are too strong and something breaks and that creates an earthquake. And the biggest earthquakes, as you mentioned, along the Pacific Ring of Fire, they happen in the in the zone, in subduction zones where the oceanic crust those under the continental cross and creates massive earthquakes. And then after that there's other areas where there's a little bit less act, and if you're in the middle of the continent, you would think, well, you know, that's completely stable. There's still a lot of forces happening there that even though you're far away from a limit or the contact of a tectonically, there's still a lot of forces. And at some point the crust just a little bit, and an earthquake is just the material that breaks very fast, and that's what causes earthquake. And the Earth is constantly adjusting, and so these earthquakes happen all over the world all the.
Speaker 1: Time, a living, breathing entity of the Earth, as doctor Gouley is describing, getting in in the theater of the mind, your conversation and your questions, of course, makes the show possible. With of course are great. Yes, the contact number one eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two. We hope that everybody out there will have questions and concerns about earthquakes, as we did do a deep dive into this interesting subject. I want to bring something to the attention of people on the West coast of the United States and see your contribution to this. In your opinion, the Cascadia Subduction Zone. This is an area, as you probably know better off the Oregon coast and in the year seventeen hundred, this incredible, they say, and I'm reading this eight point seven to nine point two earthquake happened off the coast of Oregon, creating a gigantic tsunami and also it being felt over all the way across the ocean to Japan. But here's the concern, and not to alarm people if they're listening to us in Oregon or Washington, that probably was one of the most devastating near part of the United States, I think in recent history. But isn't that incredible? I mean, describe that because could it eventually slip again? This san Juanda Fuca I guess plate off the coast of California, Oregon and moving up into Canada. That's an incredible stories that you can comment on. That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, And there's again so I know it's hard to explain. I'm gonna try to explain that visually. It's already talked about those tectonic plates, right, and the Earth doesn't change volume, it doesn't grow, it doesn't shrink, it's the same, so it needs to when something moves, if something something is created, something needs to get destructive. And what we have in the middle of our oceans is those ridges where there's new cross that forms and it pushes the oceanic cross towards the continent and then it arrives near the continent, and the oceanic crust is very dense, much denser than the continental cross, and it kind of sinks on the neat right, and I'm simplifying here. It sinks a little bit. But as it sinks and it dies into it, really it sticks in it. And that's what creates those earthquakes. And so this subduction zone, that's what it means. Subduction is going on there. It's the oceanic cross that goes on there. And that's what's happening on the all the West coast actually not just America, South America as well Chile. The largest ever recorded earthquake in nineteen sixty was a nine point five just offshore of Chile.
Speaker 1: So amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it happened also in Cascadia. It will happen again when we don't know exactly when, but for sure it will happen again. It's going to be similar to what was seen in Japan just a few years ago, or Indonesia in two thousand and four. These types of earthquakes are subduction earthquakes.
Speaker 1: And I got a point to bring up here, doctor, this is amazing according to the information I'm getting here, the wand if you could play it off, that Pacific Ocean area only slipped by sixty six feet. Now imagine we can measure and look at what sixty six feet is causing that much of a disturbance in in an ocean, causing a tsunami to be felt. And according to this report, it states that inland in Oregon way back, a massive title wave wiped out a big portion of forest over there. So the earth is obviously, you know, constantly changing, constantly, a dynamic in dynamic events, that's just incredible for people to comprehend.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely fascinating. It's a force of nature that when you go through, you live through an earthquake, you realize that nature is extremely powerful. And you mentioned the tsunami. There's multiple mechanisms that cause that. But we have this subduction. So imagine that the oceanic cross again is diving underneath, gets stuck, gets stuck, and then there's an earthquake, it gets relieved sometimes and quite often what will happen is then the constant across kind of goes down a little bit, and then the near shore gets flooded, I mean permanently for a long time. But the tsunami is generated because there's a sudden motion underneath the ocean. Right, there's southern movement that can be like sixty right. It just imagine, well that all the water needs to go somewhere and to lift big volume, and it needs to go somewhere. So the tsunami then is generated from the movement of the cross due to the earthquake.