Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. But one of my favorite memories from my wedding where I probably wouldn't have said play Shout because it is a hack wedding song.
Speaker 2: It's played at every wedding.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite memories is my uncle who's now dead, God Rest the soul, Uncle Jim dancing going to that song and getting everybody at the wedding to dance to that song and him basically doing a grand plier.
Speaker 2: What a grand plier, you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Like, there's this point of the song of the Shout where it gets really softer and you kind of shrink down to the floor like you do at a wedding, and my uncle Jim Man, he dropped it like it was damn hot and got right back up again.
Speaker 2: It was incredible.
Speaker 3: Well, if it feels different today, it's because we have tariffs now. They took effect overnight. Business executives warning of potential recession. Some of the top US trading partners are retaliating with their own import taxes. The stock market has been uh the I've never seen this word before, at least in this context.
Speaker 4: It's been quivering today.
Speaker 3: The Dow is back and forth, up and down, positive and negative. Right now it's back positive by about three hundred and eighty points. Sm P five hundred is up sixty six points. Nasdaq is up three forty two. I mentioned that as of right now, gold is the biggest mover. Gold is up one hundred and twenty dollars an ounce. It's now over thirty one hundred dollars for an ounce of gold.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: The family is continuing to mourn the loss of their thirteen year old son. This is the little boy who was reported missing last Sunday from the valley went to his soccer coach's house in Lancaster, a guy that the family had had in their home, a trusted soccer coach, travel soccer coach. Thirteen year old boy Oscar, very talented soccer player. The family came here from Al Salvadora a couple of years ago. Ends up that the body is found up there near Oxnard. The soccer coach even helped look for the little boy when he was still in the missing category. That's how close he was with the family. Well, now we're learning that this guy assaulted a fourteen year old boy back in December of twenty twenty two. So if he was charged sooner, would Oscar still be alive? That was the question on the table to the DA in La County. Nathan Hawkman.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Channel seven was able to ask him that question, and here was the response.
Speaker 5: So why just now.
Speaker 4: Are we seeing charges filed in this twenty twenty two case.
Speaker 6: When we got the case, we asked for additional interviews, We asked for additional forensic evidence to be analyzed and completed, and unfortunately that the additional interviews were not finalized until very recently.
Speaker 4: Was there ever a ball dropped there? Yeah, because it does seem like that happened long ago and the timing.
Speaker 3: Some may say, well, well, it's interesting charges were just filed on that yesterday after the DA.
Speaker 7: Often, in order to get to the completion of the case, the individuals involved in the case have to be at a point at which they're willing to fully come forward and provide all the information that we need in order to make prosecutorial decision.
Speaker 6: That didn't happen fully until yesterday.
Speaker 3: He's so infuriating on many many levels here. I mean, let's start with the fact that that sources have been telling media outlets throughout LA that this guy was in the country illegally. You could start you could just start right with that one, okay, but that this guy's been here long enough that he's been able to develop relationships, that there are enough people that know about this guy, that neighbors had said, yeah, you know, he always seemed to have kids around the house, but he didn't have any kids.
Speaker 4: Apparently he married.
Speaker 1: Apparently according to his social media it's littered with pictures of him and kids at his house, and him coaching soccer, and him with more kids, and.
Speaker 2: He was here illegally. Does that play into anything?
Speaker 1: Did this get to the desk, a desk of George Gascone and his underlings who would protect the legal immigrants? I don't know, but there's so many dropped balls here. I mean, twenty twenty two, when did Hawkman come into the office.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to.
Speaker 1: Say, if you December of last year, December last year, I mean, I'd be shifting the blame all day long. If I were a Hawkman, Yeah, I'd be saying this is this one didn't happen on my watch. And furthermore, I've put out an edict to all my das. If you've got any of these sexual assault allegations that we haven't gotten to, you're gonna stay up and work round the clock in overtime, and we'll pay for it to freaking clear the decks here, because not another little boy is gonna die on my watch, or a little girl or adult or whoever. As long as we as long as the red flag is up and somebody has revealed themselves to be an assaulter a sexual assault of children, we are going to investigate that, no matter what the office hours are.
Speaker 3: So there's a weird there, and it seems like this guy ended up in kind of a gray area, this Mario Garcia Aquino, where there were people who made accusations against him.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: There was the fourteen year old in twenty twenty two. There was the sixteen year old just over a year ago in Palmdale. So these two cases, both of them make allegations against this guy. That doesn't happen randomly, that doesn't happen on a whim. This is not some you know, social panacea where kids all of a sudden and make up stories about coach Mario. That's the hardest part about it. But because according to Nathan Hawkman, because of some investigative issues, whether it was the kids didn't want to testify, the families didn't want them to testify, they couldn't find other corroborating evidence, whatever it is, it falls into that gray area where it sounds like everybody has a suspicion about this guy, but it doesn't rise to the level of an actual law enforcement action.
Speaker 1: Here's the problem in in LA it shouldn't be a problem. You're having people who don't speak the language, who are here illegally, that do not want to tell the cops what they know. That's just the way it's always been in Los Angeles for a very long time, and there should be ways around it. And if you don't have witnesses the way cooperative witnesses the way you have in other cases, there's got to be ways to make them cooperate. There's got to be ways to work around a there's not a language barrier anymore, but there's got to be a way to work around a cultural barrier or i'm scared of ice under this administration barrier or whatever it is to protect these children, who who who come here for a better life. I mean, it's just it's so anthetical to like what this whole family came here for and was I don't know, I just I think that's not an excuse. Hawkman's excuse is not a viable excuse in my mind. Oh, there was interviews to be no, no, no, no, Like you get a whiff of a kid being molested by a coach, not even a famili not that there's a good child molestation story, but not even a familial relative, like a familial assault, but somebody who's got.
Speaker 2: Access to other children. Kids come on.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing is, there's there's got to be a question asked of whoever was employing him. Was it people that were, you know, hiring this guy to coach their kid individually?
Speaker 2: Sure it was off the mark.
Speaker 4: Was it a team?
Speaker 2: I bet it wasn't.
Speaker 4: I bet it.
Speaker 1: He's a traveling soccer coach. It was also a guy from El Salvador. You know there's commonalities there. Your kid loves soccer. Here's this guy who knows where you came from. Maybe you've got some people in common or what have you. You trust him he's going to teach your kids soccer that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Fifteen years ago, when I was a coach for my kids soccer teams, they went through a full back. That's different, I know, and I'm not saying, and I remember being so annoyed by it, like.
Speaker 4: What the what am I going to do?
Speaker 3: First of all, I have a kid on the team, right, and I'm not going to take advantage of my pay.
Speaker 2: That's just organized sports. This was not.
Speaker 3: That's and that's an issue that's going to come up in situations like this.
Speaker 4: I mean, but what do you do.
Speaker 1: You've moved here with your family family from El Salvador three years ago, you don't speak the language. You meet other El Salvadorans in the community, that's who you hang out with. This guy coaches soccer. Your kids got this talent for soccer. Why wouldn't because why wouldn't this be something that happened.
Speaker 3: It would be hard for me to believe that there wasn't somebody who's like, yeah, but you don't want there's something about that guy.
Speaker 4: I mean, word like that spreads pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised, Well, I wouldn't be surprised if in this.
Speaker 1: Case it took two years. That's not that long of a time. You know, the damage has been done pretty quickly. But the fact that they got wind of this two years ago and nothing was done is.
Speaker 2: A real problem.
Speaker 4: Hey, California has a legislature. Did you know that? And some of those lawmakers have ideas that actually make sense.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's weird how they're going to go after AI chat bots.
Speaker 4: When we come back.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: The quivering Wall Streets numbers continue to quiver as of right now, though I just looked it up during the break there, the Dow is flying. The Dow is up seventeen hundred points right now, which is about five percent some p five hundred. NASTAC also seeing quite a spike over just the last couple of minutes here. One thing that the Treasury's thirty nine billion dollar auction of ten year notes saw some pretty strong, very strong demand. I guess that's probably what it was.
Speaker 1: I don't know the Treasury report well that they were auction. The Treasury auction met with strong demand. Is going to bounce back. The doubt of sixteen hundred ghosts I don't think. So there's got to be a phone call that was made. Somebody knows something. But again, you don't get that excited over the freaking Treasury.
Speaker 3: Auction because this is also coming in. Fox is reporting that Trump is going to say he's raising tariffs on China up to one hundred and twenty five percent. As of right now, they were at one hundred and four percent, so he's going to go even higher.
Speaker 2: Well, of course he is.
Speaker 1: So everyone get out their genitals. Were in for a urination match, and Trump and China are the main card.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: The what card? The best card, the main event, the I'll say main event, yeah, but what what is the card?
Speaker 2: Terminal?
Speaker 1: Undercard? So well, you would be there with the main main event in the undercar. So we're the undercard. If we were to urinary measure, if we were to measure our urination utensils.
Speaker 3: Got it a urination utensil. I was trying to keep it clean, you did, and I appreciate that. But someone's going to complain that you've mentioned genitals.
Speaker 1: You did wait until ten twenty five, so it's not like we talk about genitals a lot in our body. Now she brings in the cameras I talk about Jena, the genitals begin to do. There is a bill send It Bill two forty three in Sacramento that would try to regulate AI chatbots.
Speaker 4: Remember that story out of Florida.
Speaker 3: Kid killed himself after talking with this AI chatbot for a long time.
Speaker 4: Mom sued.
Speaker 3: Mom sued the company character Ai, which is based in Menlo Park here in California, and to address this problem, state lawmakers in this bill would require operators of any chatboard chat bot platform to remind a user at least every three hours that the virtual characters.
Speaker 4: Are not human.
Speaker 3: They would also have a protocol for addressing suicidal ideation. It would require chatbots to report the number of times that their human companion brings up suicide ideation or actions, along with other requirements. It's just one way that they say they're trying to tackle the potential risks posed by AI chatbots as they're getting more and more popular.
Speaker 1: I read an opinion piece over the weekend and I forgot to bring it to the show, but it was about the proliferation of these romantic chat bots and how popular they really are, especially amongst the young people. And we've talked about it before Is it just training wheels? Is that learning how to do something before you're ready to actually do it.
Speaker 3: Well, there are people we talked about it a couple of weeks ago. There are people who advocate for that because it gives especially younger teenagers, the ability to make some of those dating mistakes without hurting anybody's feelings.
Speaker 1: Right, And I remember that conversation of people advocating for them to be training wheels, Right, But is that the purpose that the people who are actually using it are using it for. Are they getting addicted to this because in the opinion piece, the takeaway was kind of like, Yeah, they're going to tell you things you want to hear.
Speaker 2: They're going to tell you the compliments.
Speaker 1: They're going to be there when you want them, They're going to respond when you want them to all of the things. And the problem with these relationships is that there is no give and take. That's the thing about relationships that's so wonderful. You know, you get sick, your wife makes you soup, your chatbot is and that's a major part of relationships, is the give and take and being there for each other in that regard, and the chatbot never needs you. The chatbot never needs you. You never give anything that is chat pot. The chatbot could be there to listen to all your problems and things. But if you're not doing something for your chatbot, then you're not getting what you need out of the relationship. Because part of that is the joy your wife gets giving you that soup when you're sick. That's part of what builds a relationship of give and take and being there for each other. If it's a one sided thing, it's not a relationship.
Speaker 3: That's These things tear. They terrify me. Not because I'm afraid of an AI chatbot. I'm terrified about down the line what it does to someone's mentality if they don't have that huge action.
Speaker 1: But I mean, it's like porn, right, It's we had this conversation about porn ten twenty years ago of like, oh, kids are watching porn and it's gone so out of control that they're not going to be able to have sex normally.
Speaker 2: Ever did that happen, Maybe it happened. I don't know what.
Speaker 4: When's last time he had sex with any eighteen year old? It's been a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, See, I don't think I ever had sex with an eighteen year old.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that no, I did.
Speaker 1: I did anyway, let's move on, moving on a long time.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, I realized that it was a minefield. I wasn't trying to jump into and apparently I just both feet both feet.
Speaker 2: All right here, everyone saying, you know, throughout the hallway.
Speaker 3: Again, something's going on on Wall Street. The Dow is up about two thousand points. We'll see what's going on.
Speaker 1: Trump authorized a ninety day pause on tariffs, says the Breaking News, And that's exactly what that phone call was.
Speaker 2: Because wow, for him the last night.
Speaker 1: To say everyone be cool, don't be a pannikin relax. For him to do this, somebody got to Trump big time because he is not somebody to waiver. But I mean, he did do the pause back in what February was it, when it was Canada and Mexico. So maybe he's just trying to stop the bleeding on Wall Street. The phone was probably ringing off the hook. Elon Musk in the room as well. So this is I don't know why this image just popped into my head. If you're torturing somebody and you're trying to get secrets out of them, right.
Speaker 2: You're having sex with an eighteen year old.
Speaker 4: No, we're moving past that and pretending it never happened.
Speaker 3: You have somebody on a meat hook, right, They're chained up and they're hanging out of a meat hook, and you've got a battery and you're going to shock them right in their sides, right, and you're trying to torture them to get the information out of them. They say, I'm not giving you up any information, and you say, I'm going to shock you and they say, no, I'm not giving you any information. And then pow you hit him with that first shock and they go, okay, all right.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you. I'll tell you whatever you want to know. This is then you turning.
Speaker 1: Really freaking dark mind And I almost used a bad word. That was really dark. That was a really dark scenario you painted. You know, I'm going to go to the news. We're going to go to the news.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 2: I've heard enough about it.
Speaker 3: Her Caroline love It, White House Press Secretary there and Treasury Secretary Scott Bessant. And again this just before, just before we went to the news. At the bottom of the hour, we noticed that the Dow had jumped up a couple thousand points five to six percent, and.
Speaker 1: We thought somebody got on the phone, something happened, somebody got worried of something, because it wasn't about the Treasury auction. And then we found out that he ordered this ninety day pause on tariffs except for China. And I believe Beset when he says that this was the plan all along, because in my mind, this was the plan all along. It was never about the other countries. It was about China from go.
Speaker 3: And he tried to push against that, but but it's he tried to say that this is not just about China, it was to expose any bad actors.
Speaker 4: But that's clearly what they were trying to do in the first place.
Speaker 1: It was assic for me, being a girl middle school bully girl technique of you try to get everybody on your side. It's you showing your power in front of everybody else, and then when you zero in on who you want to have as your rival, you get everybody else on your side. And that's exactly what the United States did. They saw China as their rival. They went up against everyone in the schoolyard and then decided to pull all the weaker personalities, all the weaker countries, into their orbit and say, okay, we're all.
Speaker 2: We've all everyone's.
Speaker 1: Playing nice with me except for you, and now it's the world against China.
Speaker 2: That's essentially what they're doing here.
Speaker 3: So officially the president. It's not official because it's a truth social post, but I mean the words that the President used. He plans to keep the administration's global baseline tariff increase of ten percent in place for all countries. That is still enough, at least according to the Treasury Secretary, That in and of itself is still enough to get those seventy five countries to come to the table to begin their negotiations to figure out what we're going to do with all of these individual trade agreement.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing, they don't matter.
Speaker 1: We talked about this before, those issues with other countries, they don't matter. It is apples and oranges, but it's not. It's like oranges and freaking orange peels. None of our contracts with those other countries mean crap.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's China that matters.
Speaker 4: China is the big one.
Speaker 3: They do matter because if you're talking about like European Union, if you're talking about Canada, if you're talking about Mexico, if you're talking about Vietnam, if you're talking there are countries where India there are sizable trade agreements that we have that are going to have an impact. None of them and even if you add them all together, they might not They might not reach what we have with China. Right.
Speaker 1: But India is a curious one that you bring up because India tries to kind of play both sides of the playground here.
Speaker 2: India tries to pretend.
Speaker 1: That they're our ally, but they're very close, maybe the closest trade partners with China. So India is not going to be like, oh, f and you China, I'm going with America.
Speaker 2: That's not going to happen.
Speaker 3: No, But I think that they wanted the minor players. I mean your pointed that these smaller ones don't matter. They do want those minor players to be able to be sure, to want.
Speaker 2: To be able to say great optics are great China.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But when you get down to the math, we don't bring in stuff from the other countries to the percent near the percentage of the percent it's an f and joke.
Speaker 2: You know when you look at this.
Speaker 1: Let's let's go down the list of the seventy five other countries they're talking about, right, and look at what our trade is with those countries.
Speaker 3: Right, five million dollars with Lithuania or whatever the exactly sample might be.
Speaker 4: I know that, you know.
Speaker 2: I love the.
Speaker 1: Optics that the whole world is on our side and how I want it to be.
Speaker 2: I want Trump's plan to work, I really do.
Speaker 1: I think it would be great to move all of the manufacturing back to this country.
Speaker 2: I think it would be great to take all these.
Speaker 1: Contracts, rip them up, throw them out, start over to where we benefit better.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I just think that we need to be honest with what we're dealing with right now, and that's China.
Speaker 2: And that's a.
Speaker 1: Very fragile situation you've got there with Shi Jinping and what he's promised his people. He's promised his people that think the same things Trump has promised us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and as we mentioned yesterday, neither of these guys backs down. There's no there's no political future in for either one of them.
Speaker 4: If they are appear to have backed down.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. I said a bad word.
Speaker 4: Why are you apologizing to me?
Speaker 2: I feel bad.
Speaker 4: You're the one who's got to go to the FCC, not me.
Speaker 3: President Trump did announce this ninety day pause of the higher tariffs against these trading partners that went into effect earlier today last night overnight, if you want to call it that.
Speaker 4: And again the exception is China.
Speaker 3: As of about midnight d C time, the tariff on goods coming in from China was set at one hundred and four percent. After China then retaliated and increased the tariffs on American goods going to China, President Trump just a short time ago said it's going to go from one hundred and four percent up to one hundred and twenty five percent.
Speaker 4: So not only has he.
Speaker 3: Been able to in his work in his idea to isolate China, he's got all of these other countries, dozens of them. Scott Besson said that there are seventy five plus that are coming and you know, dropping a dime to call us and let us know that they're ready to negotiate.
Speaker 4: That these countries are now aligned with us.
Speaker 3: They are now pointed towards us because they know how important our trade is with them.
Speaker 1: Don't be surprised if you hear the term market manipulation, that was that that was maybe one of the goals here. I don't believe it to be the case because President Trump is talking about tariffs forever and wanting to do this, and you've got timing of this. Timing of it is odd in the middle of the day, the middle of a day, like why now? And that was one of the questions, why right now? And that's why Bescent said this was the president's plan all along. You have to follow the money on that one. That's that's a book that comes out in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 3: All right, Swamp Watch, of course is coming up. We'll talk a little bit more about this. We're getting some more information about what Scott Besson, the Secretary of the Treasury said the thinking behind all of this with the President has been saying on social media. But again, a ninety day pause on the tariffs except for China.
Speaker 2: It's on man.
Speaker 3: Gary and Shannon will continue in just a moment. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio Lab