Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock. This is your wake up call for Monday, August fifth. Good morning, I'm Amy King. Okay, at a great weekend, IM I told you. I telegraphed what I was going to do, and I think that if there was a gold medal handed out for couch potatoes, I would get it. Had fun watching a lot of weird Olympics. I'm like, what is this target practice?
Speaker 4: What is this?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: What I didn't see is break dancing. I know that was a new event this year. Didn't get to see that. Also, if you're heading out and planning your wardrobe for this morning, don't dress form. It's hot. There's like seventy degrees when I left my apartment and that was like, you know, two hours ago. But that's okay. We'll cool down a little later this week. Here's what's ahead on wake up called. We got a lot coming up for you today and tomorrow's I just mentioned or expected to be the hottest days of a heat wave lingering over southern California, and excessive heat warning is in effect until eight tomorrow night in the San Fernando, Santa Clarita, and Annelote Valleys and the I five Corridor. A heat advisory is also up until eleven tomorrow night in the Santa Ana Mountains and foothills in Orange County. The wild ride on Wall Street's expected to continue today. Stock futures are way down ahead of the opening bell. Dow futures at last check had tumbled more than seven hundred and ninety points. Nasdaq was even worse, down more than eight hundred points. In pre market trading in P five hundred is seeing a drop of roughly one hundred and fifty points. We'll keep you updated on the stock market numbers once they start trading this morning. The fastest man in the world is Team usays Noah Lyles. He won the gold in the one hundred meters with a time of nine point seven nine seconds, just five one thousandth of a second ahead of Jamaica's Cashane Thomas or Thompson. Rather, it's the first win for Team USA and the one hundred meters in twenty years. We're going to be getting the latest on what's up at the Olympics, what happened over the weekend, and what's in store for today with ABC's nez De La Katera. That's coming up in about fifteen minutes. And in just a couple of minutes, we're going to be talking with ABC's and Flaherty as things continue to heat up in the Middle East. At six oh five, it's Handle on the news. The veepsteaks are on, with a decision expected by tomorrow. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty five four hour newsroom. A police chase that involved two cars, speeds over one hundred miles per hour on the freeway and a head on crash in South LA has ended in North Long Beach. The pursuit last night lasted about two hours. Police for chasing a black car that had the wrong plate. The driver eventually got out and got into the back of a white Lexus that's the car that crashed, and one person was seen running away. The driver kept going and was later arrested in Long Beach. That explains why I got a text from Tim Conway June. Your last night. He's like crash on Channel nine. He loves his police chases. The La Keady Sheriff's Homicide Bureau has had a very busy weekend.
Speaker 6: Investigator say there were at least four murders and one deputy involved shooting. On Saturday night, a man in Carson was found shot to death following a drive by shooting. Witnesses said they heard multiple gunshots. Also Saturday night, a man was found shot to death following a car collision at the intersection of Bentley and Greenleaf and Compton. Four other guys in the car were injured. Early Sunday morning, a man was found shot to death laying between two parked cars on Rowan Street. And also early yesterday morning, investigators say a woman was shot to death by her boyfriend in Lancaster. He then tried to shoot himself. He's in critical condition. Steve Gregor, King of Fine News, the.
Speaker 1: US, UK and other governments have urged their citizens to leave Lebanon because of a possible war between Israel and Hezbola. A Hesbolah commander was killed in an Israeli strike in be Route last week. Israel or Iran rather blames Israel for the assassination of a Hamas leader in Tehran. Iran has vowed severe retaliation. The US and other Western countries have been trying to de escalate tensions across the region.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 1: We're going to be talking with ABC's and Flirty in just a minute. As the heat increases in the Middle East, Hurricane Debbie has made landfall. ABC's Andrew Dimbert says the storm has already caused some flooding and power outages in the Tampa area.
Speaker 2: Grain totals could reach a foot or more along Florida's Gulf Coast, where Debbie could produce six to ten feet of storm surge.
Speaker 1: He says. Forecasters are predicting Debbie will make landfall around midday today, but it got in a little bit early and actually made landfall this morning. Georgia and South Carolina could also see flooding from the storm. Up to thirty inches of rain is possible in some areas. Let's say good morning now to ABC's and Flaherty, our Pentagon specialist. And Iran has threatened revenge for the assassination of a tap Helamas leader in Tehran last week. What is the US doing to help get ready for whatever is coming.
Speaker 7: What we heard from the Deputy National Security Advisor yesterday, John Seiner, saying, we're preparing for every possibility. We're not going to give too many details because it wouldn't be in our best interests. But of course you have to imagine what they're doing behind the scenes is scrambling to create that diplomatic coalition. We saw last April when Iran launched about three hundred and fifty attack drones and missiles at Israel. It was the US, UK other allies that helped to intercept them. And we know that the US is delivering the message the region that look, it's not in anyone's interest to have a wider regional war. So you know, we saw people like Jordan's foreign minister flew to Tehran. This is the first official visit to Iran in some twenty years to the Islamic Republic. So really an unprecedented situation, and you're seeing, you know, Tony Blinkin talking to G seven partners saying this is a very urgent situation.
Speaker 1: Well, and we were discussing last week that it's like how do you de escalate because Iran feels like it was attacked, Israel feels like it was attacked and they tend to strike back and forth as like it's sort of an eye for an eye thing. So who who says, Okay, I'm not going to strike back. You know, how do you yeah, negotiate that.
Speaker 7: What's interesting is there were actually two assassinations in a matter of hours last week, which it was unprecedented. I'd never seen this before. But you had to hitpule a senior commander in the root. And if we acknowledged that, they said that they fired that missile in direct retaliation for Hasbulat killing twelve children playing football and the goal in hypes. Now the senior Hamas leader, this was a bomb that appeared to be smuggled into Tehran into his guest house in Tehran. He was one of the Hamas leaders negotiating the hostages that release and the ceasefire, and that we don't know when that bomb may have been smuggled into that guest house. Israel hasn't confirmed or denied it. That could give a roun some mobility to scale back their attack and say, you know, we just don't know how they're going to respond to that. So you know, the US, of course, they they're not they weren't aware of this attack. They Biden spoke with net Now afterwards, saying that he needs to move towards the ceasefire, obviously complicated by the killing of this Hamas leader. But you know, of course, the US just delivering that message over and over again. It's not in your best interest to keep retaliating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then because Israel hasn't claimed responsibility, like you said, it might be kind of an out or an option not to directly retaliate, but they but Iran is saying, yeah, we're retaliating, and it's going to be pretty bad because we went or not we because Israel went and directly attacked somebody in Iran, which they really haven't done before. Does that open the door for then Iran to go after Israeli cities.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we have heard that the Iranian government has directly blamed Israel but also the United States for that attack, and they say that they've called this state of national mourning for three days that ends today. And you know, of course everybody is nervous that Iran is going to directly attack Israel. We're also nervous that Iran will directly attack US forces in the region. There are tons of thousands of forces in the region. So we know that the Pentagon has sent additional navy cruisers and destroyers which can shoot down these fallistic missiles in the Middle East, and has also sent them to Europe. It's been sending an additional squadron of fighter jets to the Middle East preparing for that possibility that US troops could be under attack. So really, we know that President Biden is going to huddle with his national security team in the situation room today about two pm. This will follow a phone call he's going to have with King Abdullah of Jordan around eleven am Eastern times. So we know that there is a lot of movement, a lot of concern, and it's what happens next, is anyone's guests?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, and we'll be watching it. ABC's and Flaherty thank you so much for the information this morning. We appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Cooling centers have been opened in La as temperatures across southern California hit the upper nineties and triple digits. Extreme heat is expected for the LA area through at least tomorrow, with some areas getting up to one five, maybe even one ten. Temperatures in part of Riverside County have already topped one ten. Palm Springs is expected to hit one sixteen today in excessive heat warning US up until at least eleven pm tomorrow. Ellie Kenny Sheriff's deputies have fatally shot a man in Paramount. The deputies had responded to a family dispute last night on Quimby Street near Downey Avenue. Deputies spoke with a family, but it's not clear what led to the shooting. Two LAPD officers have sued the city of La claiming they were taken off an elite federal task force in retaliation for complaining that then Chief Michael Moore was working to put black officers on new Mayor Karen Bass's detail and not only recruiting the best officers for the job. One of the officers who filed the lawsuit is black. The suit claims that Chief Moore was just pandering to the new mayor. The suit says that Mayor Bass was not aware of this activity. A judge in Washington, d c. Has denied former President Trump's motion to dismiss the federal election interference case brought by Special Council Jack Smith. Trump's lawyers filed the motion last month after the Supreme Court ruled that presidents are immune from prosecution while carrying out official acts. The judge will now have to decide if Trump can be prosecuted for his alleged efforts to overturn the outcome of the twenty twenty election. Another hearing is set for August sixteenth. UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer has condemned an attack on a hotel housing asylum seekers in the north of England following a stabbing attack that killed three children. This is not protest. It is organized, violent thuggery and it has no place on our streets or online. Fully struggled to hold back a mob of far right rioters over the weekend who tried to break into the hotel. They smashed windows and tried to set a fire inside. Protesters also through chairs and other objects that officers injuring at least ten of them. Nearly one hundred and fifty people were arrested over the weekend. Somebody at the Orange County Fair has won a million dollars with a lottery scratch off ticket. Lotto officials announced it on Friday. The person who bought the ticket at the California Lottery Live booth apparently went back to the window to see if they had really won. The winner can claim the prize by going to one of nine lottery offices in the state or by mail. Maybe you need to win the lottery if you're going to throw your kid a birthday party. I was reading this story that the cost of a child's birthday party is now averaging three hundred fourteen dollars three hundred and fourteen dollars. A factor driving the pricey parties is a party theme based on a child's latest obsession, whether it's bluey or paw Patrol or something else. But apparently that can rack up the prices. And USA Today had in a statement that they've noticed a clear trend toward birthday parties or children becoming bigger and more elaborate. The younger the kid, the less expensive the celebration. I say, you know what, when they're one or two, and I'm not a parent, I understand you want to celebrate, but when they're like one years old, they're not going to remember it. Nobody's going to know this. Get them a cake, they'll be fine. Although in southern California, I bet this trend is I bet if they just did this in California, it'd be a lot, a lot higher because you've seen this stuff in Beverly Hills where they bring in snow and they've got bounce houses and they have everything catered. So three hundred and fourteen dollars on average for your kid's birthday party, if you just make a cake, it's less than five dollars. I'm just saying. The largest fire in the US has burned through more than four hundred and one thousand acres. His fire crews battle the flames in extreme only hot, dry conditions in northern California. The fire that has destroyed more than five hundred and sixty homes and buildings, is thirty one percent surrounded. A second San Diego based aircraft carrier is headed to the Middle East as tensions increase between Israel and Iran. The Pentagon says the USS Abraham Lincoln is making its way to the Middle East with F thirty five C stealth jets on board. San Diego based USS. Theodore Roosevelt has been deployed to the Gulf of Oman since January. The Wildlife crossing over the one on one Freeway and a Gore Hills is one step closer to completion. The deck has now been fully laid down and crews are going to start work on the side walls. The wildlife crossing spans ten lanes of the freeway, making it one of the largest of its kind in the world. It's expected to be complete by late next year or early twenty twenty six. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. Stock markets took a tumble on Friday and things are not looking much better for today. Let's say good good morning now to ABC's Inez de Laktera in Paris, bonjorinz Bohoo.
Speaker 8: You are, says intro.
Speaker 1: I love it, I love your enthusiasm. So let's talk about it was a heck of a weekend for Team USA. They're just racking up the medals.
Speaker 4: It was a crazy weekend. I think it was some of the the i mean, most intense competitions we've seen to date in these Paris twenty twenty four games. So we had we had some swimming, we had Katie Ledecki competing in her last race of these Games, the eight hundred meter freestyle. I got to go to that. That was incredible. She of course won the gold, so adding to her collection with fourteen medals. Now we had a bunch more swimming events that we had Bobby Fink last night winning the gold in the fifteen hundred meter freestyle. He set the new world record. You had the women in the four by one hundred medley relay. They also smashed the world record and beat the competition by five seconds.
Speaker 9: It wasn't even close.
Speaker 4: Just so many different events. Track and field is another big one. As swimming wraps up, you've got athletics getting underway, and so track and field is a big part of that. And you had to Carrie Richardson winning the silver in the one hundred meter dash. She was kind of stunned there by the athlete from Saint Lucia. And Noah Lyle's another big name on Team USA, also winning his first gold medal in the same event on the men's side, So the men's one hundred meter final, he becomes the fastest man in the world and it is the first time in twenty years that an American has won that event.
Speaker 1: I love that I was watching the one with Shakiri and was expecting her to take gold. The man, that Saint Lucia woman, she just went exploded.
Speaker 7: It was crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I mean to Carrie, you know, I mean, the silver is still incredible. There was certainly she was favored to win the gold. But it's her, you know, I'll say, at their first Olympic. So she's just getting started and we are seeing her again on Thursday. He still has a good chance of winning that event.
Speaker 1: The other one I thought was really fun that I hadn't I don't think I've seen before, was I don't know what it's even called the four by relay, but it's like the mixed one where it's got two men and two women on the team, and.
Speaker 4: I just that's right. Yeah, that's another interesting one. Yeah, yeah, the medley relay.
Speaker 1: The medley relay. Yeah. So I've really enjoyed the track. I tend to like the swimming and the gymnastics better, but have really enjoyed the track. I just think there's this kind of cool energy about it. And then also on track, we have a gold in the shot put. That guy from is from Boring, Oregon, which is my home State. Is that four in a row for him?
Speaker 4: That's right, Yeah, he's incredible. So you know, Ryan Krauser is his name, and yeah it's unpresident and his a third a third straight shot put gold medal. So yeah, I mean, we have so many challeented athletes us me to say, I think, especially on the athletic side, and it's moving so fast. There's so many different events, and that's gonna be what we're watching really all week. It's going to be more athletics, more races, Swimming wrapping up, gymnastics wrapping up today. I know you're a big fan of that. Some disappointing news on the gymnastics side buriler alert.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so I don't know if you had an chance to see it, but yeah, so Simone Bios and Sunny Lee were performing in the it was the beam final today. They've got the floor final later on and they both fell off the beam, so a bit of a bloomer and neither one made the podium.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they're probably tired. They've been racking up the medal. Simon has three gold medals. Soon you want to bronze over the weekend. Abroads in the individual all around, so they might just be a little tired, so they're fine. They'll be taking themselves on floor later later this afternoon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they get a pass. They've been spectacular. Any huge surprises.
Speaker 7: I think.
Speaker 4: I think the gymnastics this morning was a bit of a surprise, but at the same time I feel bad thing that we put so much pressure on these on these women and they're absolutely killing it. Beyond that note, I mean, I think you know, there was there was the Shikiri coming in second was a bit of a surprise, but again high hopes for her for later in the week. And something else that we were watching was the everything going on with the Sen river. So they did have the uh the triathlon relay, the mixed triathlon relay this morning, even though there have been concerns about the water quality. There were two athletes that had to withdraw from the race citing illnesses, so the Belgian athlete unclear with what they had, and then the with athlete who says he had a stomach confection, and both of them competed in the individual triathlon. So it's unclear if those things they're linked. But they did swim in the sen earlier, you know, last week and so, yeah, concerns for some of the athletes.
Speaker 9: Help.
Speaker 1: I understand them wanting to do that because it's the Sene River and isn't it historic to swim in it. But if it's that dirty, why didn't they just just like say, here, let's just look at the sin and go swim somewhere else.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, absolutely, And we even had so you know, they did go ahead with a mixed treason relay this morning and tis they did well. We did win a silver in that, so Morgan Pearson won one a silver in that. But he spoke out this morning and he was saying just the currents were crazy. It's not just water quality, just the river itself has very strong currents and that that made it especially challenging.
Speaker 7: But they're not used to that either, So that's another part of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and then before we let you go, what's the metal count?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we interesting the metal count. We were doing so well. I mean, we're still doing incredibly well. There was a point yesterday where we were in the league, we were tying China for nineteen gold medals with we had seventy one last night, so leaving in the total metal count, we did so China won two more medals this morning, so they're ahead in the in the gold medal tally now, but we are still leading in the total metal count. We have seventy two as of this morning.
Speaker 1: Totally count well and lots more games to go. Thank you so much and as we'll talk to you tomorrow. Can't wait.
Speaker 9: Thank you all right.
Speaker 1: I can't believe that spoiler alert about Simone, but you know what, Wow, she's just wow. And like I said, she gets a pass like she's so spectacular. Can't wait to watch her on floor. Police have released surveillance images of three people suspected in the murder of actor Johnny Whacter in downtown LA. The LAPD put out the images yesterday. Whacktor was shot and killed in May when he confronted some men who were trying to steal the cattle at a converter off his car in the middle of the night. Remember he's a general hospital actor or was. Police say The killers took off in a black four door Infinity Q fifty with a tan interior. One guy had tattoos above his left eye and on his right cheek. News brought to you by Simper soleras the LAPD has secured another one hundred thousand dollars to address illegal street takeovers.
Speaker 2: Speltzman John Lee was able to secure the votes of eleven other council members to dedicate more money for policing the takeovers in his district in the northwestern San Fernando Valley. He says the takeovers when drivers meet up at a specific intersection in block traffic and street racing are growing concerns for his constituents, and since the state hasn't yet strengthened the criminal consequences, the valley needs more policing for this issue specifically. The funding comes from a couple of different community enhancement programs and was approved to be reallocated by a vote of twelve to two in downtown La Michael Monks KFI.
Speaker 1: News Japan's benchmark nie K two twenty five stock index has lost twelve point four percent in the latest round of selloffs, following drops in the US markets, Stocksville on Friday and worries the US economy could be headed toward a recession. The Fed left interest rates unchanged last week because of inflation and a report Friday showing hiring by US employers slowed much more than expected in July. The Torrents All Stars need your help to get to the Babe Ruth League World Series in Texas. The team hosted a pancake buffet breakfast at The Crest yesterday. If you didn't make it, you can still donate to the team's go fundme page under support Torrents fourteen U All Stars World Series Journey. Quite the title, but anyway, it's on GoFundMe and I think if you search it you'll probably find it. They need the money to pay for airfare and hotels and rental cars. They've raised fourteen thousand dollars so far. Their goal is forty thousand. So if you want to help the Torrents All Stars get to the World Series in Texas, go fund me is where you can donate. Today and tomorrow are expected to be the hottest days of a heat wave lingering over southern California, and excessive heat warning is up until eight tomorrow evening in the San Fernando, Santa Clarita, and Antelope Valleys and also the Interstate five Corridor. A heat advisory is also in effect till eleven pm in the Santa Anna Mountains and foothills in Orange County. White House Deputy National Security Advisor John Finer says ceasefire in Gaza is priority number one. He says a ceasepire and hostage deal would be the best outcome for both the Israelis and the Palestinians. This comes after top Hamas and Hesbolo leaders were assassinated recently. Iran has vowed to retaliate against Israel for the killings. Japan's benchmark stock index has plunged twelve point four percent, compounding a global market decline set off by investor worries that the US economy could be headed for a recession. At six o five, it's handle of the news shocker. Some Olympic athletes dove into the Sen River for the triathlon and some of them are sick. Now at five point fifty, we're gonna be talking to the co founders of Torpedo Coffee right here in LA And it's not just another coffee shop. Really inspiring, great story, you're not gonna want to miss it. One of the top films this summer featured someone you never saw on screen, but as our very own Steve Gregory found out, you definitely heard.
Speaker 6: If he didn't know him you'd never think he was the guy behind the music for some of the biggest films in Hollywood, including Bad Boys, Ride or Die. Lauren balf stands tall and has a big presence. He's got silver hair, it's slipped back and when he walks in the room lights up. He's jovial, laid back and creates a fun working environment. I was invited to one of the scoring sessions for Bad Boys inside the famous Newman scoring stage on the Fox Studios lot. That's the same stage where the music was recorded for Star Trek, the motion picture Pirates of the Caribbean, The Sound of Music, and Jaws. This was a rare night time, four hour recording session. The first downbeat started at seven pm sharp. The studio orchestra includes some of the most talented musicians in the world. They don't rehearse like traditional orchestras. Instead, they sight read in a rapid fire of one piece of sheet music after another. The large soundstage includes the controlled booth where the composer listens to the performance along with the director, producer, editor, sound engineers, VIPs and others. Large soundproof glass separates the people in the booth from the musicians.
Speaker 9: Bross please thank you staying the bras.
Speaker 6: Lauren stops the orchestra when he hears something he wants to change, or when the director producer chimes.
Speaker 11: In after Bob, Bob, a big accent on each note, but have a comma after each one.
Speaker 6: Can you take, for instance, this music cue. It was being recorded to match a scene in the film. Here's how it sounded while I was standing on the soundstage. That's the string section. Now they added the brass and woodwinds, and finally with additional audio mixing and sound effects. Here's how it sounded on the film Bad Boys. Director A. D. L. L RB was excited to hear the score come together. The film had been on hold because of the pandemic. He says he loves movie scores.
Speaker 12: This is one of my favorite parts of the filmmaking process. In fact, if I was not a film director, I probably would have been a film composer.
Speaker 6: Talk about working with Lauren.
Speaker 12: Lauren is really a fantastic guy. I think you know. I mean when you listen to his coorse, the epic movies that he did, Michael Bay movies, but also like the second season of the Crown and it's also called do you see all these video games. It's a blessing. And he's such a sweet guy and so talented, so it's a it's a big honor and privilege.
Speaker 1: Are we going here?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 6: In a very rare moment, a Deal and Lauren decided they wanted their voices on the score. So when the musicians took a break, those two walked onto the soundstage.
Speaker 11: You know what, this made this much easier.
Speaker 5: Can we just keep the clicks?
Speaker 6: Can we just leave the clicks?
Speaker 11: How we'll just do it every four times?
Speaker 6: I was really trying to figure out how these grunts were going to fit into the score, but then I heard it in the opening theme of the movie. By the way, they grunted thirty nine times before getting the right one. As the late night recording session wrapped up, Lorn and a Deal seemed happy and signed with the results. In fact, Lauren's been given hugs to the musicians.
Speaker 11: I started coming here twenty years ago, probably yeah, okay, so so yeah, you know, it's like the London musicians played at my wedding and I've known them for twenty five years.
Speaker 5: It would be nice, so I paid them.
Speaker 11: Out of curse, you know. So so now you get to you know, they become part of your family after a while. When you're here all the time.
Speaker 6: Listening to everything that you did tonight in the order you did it. How do you feel it's going to fit together with the with the pictures.
Speaker 12: Well, it's it's going to elevate everything so much more. You know, we're always looking for that goozbam moment, and the music really delivers on that front. So yeah, I just got wait to finally have everything nice Nice finished.
Speaker 6: The full score is available for download per wake Up Call. I'm Steve Gregory k if I News.
Speaker 1: Love that. How fun is that? It's so fun to go behind the scenes and see how things come together, because I know when you like, we just went to a movie last week and you just sit back and you relax and you enjoy it and you don't even necessarily think about the music because it's just part of the whole experience. So it's kind of fun to just take that piece out of it and see what goes into it. Thank you, Steve. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Lebanese militant group has Bolah says it has launched a drone attack on northern Israel. The Israeli military says it injured to Israeli soldiers and started a fire. As Bulla said in a statement it targeted a military base in response to attacks and assassinations carried out by Israel and several villages in South Lebanon. Experts say the attack did not appear to be part of a more intense retaliation that is expected. Israel and has Bola have been trading rocket fire since the war in Gaza started last year. News brought to you by Simper Solaris Burglars have hit a home in Pacific Palisades twice in a matter of hours. The first burglary at the home on Ambury Street was reported about ten pm Saturday. We'llice say the thieves got in through a second story window. Another break in was reported about four thirty in the morning. That time, the intruders smashed through a sliding glass door on the first floor. This woman tells Katla there have been break ins in the neighborhood before.
Speaker 10: It's definitely scary to know that there's people with weapons like going into the houses.
Speaker 1: Police say. The burglaries over the weekend were likely done by the same two men. Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has denied leading the charge to have President Biden drop his run for reelection. She says he was at the top of his game, as she put it, before he made the decision to drop out. She also told CBS Sunday Morning yesterday that Biden is a Mount Rushmore kind of president. You've got Teddy Roosevelt up there, and he's wonderful. I don't say take him down, but you can add Biden. Biden was born in nineteen forty two, about a year after Mount Rushmore was completed. The Dodgers are back in La tonight to take on the Phillies, with the first pitch going out at seven to ten. You can listen to every play of every Dodger's game on AM five seventy LA Sports Live from the Gaupin Motors Broadcast Booth, and you can stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five seventy LA Sports Go. Blue Buena Park police officer has been injured when a driver apparently ran a stop sign and crashed into his patrol suv. It happened shortly before two this morning at Knot and Naomi Avenue's. The officer was taken to the hospital. Kamala Harris has met with Arizona Senator Mark Kelly, Minnesota Governor Tim Walls, and Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro at her home in Washington, d C. They are among the seven people being considered to be Harris's running mate. Harris is expected to announce her pick by tomorrow. Someone who went to the Orange County Fair is a million air I've never made money going to the Orange County Fair. The California Lottery has a booth at the fair, and someone bought a scratch off, a multiplier craze scratch ticket worth a million dollars. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, RFK Junior has a really interesting story about a dead bear he dumped in Central Park. Okay, let's say good morning now to Jose Ariano and Mike Delarocha, the co founders of Toeppedo Coffee. And if you're wondering what that is, it's an award winning coffee company that builds bridges between Mexico and the US. They say, one origin, one person, one coffee. At a time. Good morning Jose and Mike, thanks for joining us this morning on Wake Up Call.
Speaker 5: Good morning.
Speaker 1: He So, tell us a little bit about what, first of all, tell us about Torpedo Coffee and what makes it different because there are coffee shops all over southern California, but yours is unique.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I think, well, first off, thank you so much for having this on your show. I think what's really unique is all of our coffee is single source that comes from this beautiful generational farm Embta Cruse, Mexicill so single source coffee. But more than anything, I just think it's the love and the purpose that we put into the coffee. We talk to our farmers every week, and when we say every couple of coffee helps our farmers, that's true. But it's also every couple of coffee helps those of us that have been impacted by the mass incarceration prison industrial system. And so we're also connected to homeboy industry, so we're able to provide jobs for formerly incarcerated individuals. And really like leaning into the fact that most of the world's coffee, the greatest coffee, I would probably argue, comes from Latin America or Africa and so we want to celebrate the cultural richness of our ancester homeland of Mexico.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you said definitely, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Well, I was gonna say the other part of it, and and why giving like people opportunity is so important and.
Speaker 9: You could taste it in the product is because it's made with love. And so when you when when.
Speaker 3: Mike's mentioning like that marginalized population, also the farmers too in Mexico, because our you know, as Michael was saying, it comes directly from Vetta Cruz, straight from Veta Cruz, straight to the shop in Pasadena.
Speaker 9: And uh, and.
Speaker 3: It's made love out there, you know, the intention behind the way that it's grown, harvested and roasted.
Speaker 9: It's just the intention is just like you.
Speaker 8: Know, our farmer Carlos just pours.
Speaker 9: War the love into the copy from the exception of it. And then when it gets over here, the people that we've given opportunity to that some of them it's their first you know, it's their first opportunity.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 9: Some of them never thought they'd be a barista. And when they're given the oppertually they're so grateful for it. It's like they pour forth so much love into the coffee. It's just you know, for me, it's just, uh, it's just wonderful to watch you know how people, when given the opportunity, will really, uh really pour forth so much love and care and and great intention into their into the into the work.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, And guys, you just recently, I believe, just recently partnered up with Homeboy Industries. What does that mean for you?
Speaker 11: Guys?
Speaker 9: Oh, yes, that means that means so much, I would say too. Well, so'm I was a former trainee and on Boy Industries eleven years ago, and uh I was able to work my way up the ranks to vice president and uh it goes back to opportunity.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 9: Father Gray, you know, gave me an opportunity, and I took that opportunity and I ran with it and and and I'm just so honored, uh that I get to do what I do and for us that people wanted to create something similar, uh similar yet different, you know we were We are now in a position where a Homeboy Industry is behind us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you too, can you tell us a little bit more? Because Homeboy Industries is helping people who were in gangs and in prisons. Uh, you know, get an opportunity like you just talked about, So you kind of you worked your way up and then took that and now you're basically spreading it on and making more opportunities for more people. So that's that's going to make you feel good.
Speaker 9: Oh, it's great.
Speaker 3: I remember early on years years, you know, my my first days at homeboy, my first month, I ran into a home meeting and he said to me, and I didn't understand it at the time. He said to me, he said, you only keep what you have by giving it away homely and I didn't understand what that lands because I didn't have.
Speaker 9: I didn't have much at the time, and I'm like, damn giving it away, Like you know, I need I need a same day, you know, I need to keep everything I got.
Speaker 3: And now, being where we're at as a company, I understand what he meant by that, you know, giving away information, giving away opportunity, of giving away the process.
Speaker 8: And it's been Yeah, it feels me, you know in a way that I never I never thought i'd be doing the work that I do. I just out, you know, I'm a former gang member, formerly incarcerated all my you know, I grew up in the gang culture in the nineties and all my family were gang members, and to.
Speaker 9: Be doing what I do now, Uh, it's just yeah, like you said, it really it really feels amazing.
Speaker 1: It really does breaking the cycle. So then when you talk to people and you're getting them to come and become involved with Torpedo Coffee or even you know, we're with Homeboy, how do you convey that because, like you said, when somebody told you that, you had no frame of reference for it. So how do you give people that frame of references? You say, you can make a different life for yourself.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think we show them more than.
Speaker 3: We can tell them by just creating opportunity. And Mike can speak to that when we first kicked off the internship program with Homeboy. Mike, do you want to talk about Paul, You want to talk about that process.
Speaker 9: A little bit?
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think Osea is absolutely right. I mean number one, I just I'm I'm truly blessed to have a partner in jose And I think it's it's it's our actions more than our words when folks come in that feel, that that sense of warmth and love that jose was referencing earlier on with the coffee, And I really do think it takes the village, and it takes a community of hope and kinship, which that Beto and Homeboy are able to do even exponentially more now because we have more businesses and we have more baristas, we have more employees. But again, I think it's like trainees or anyone coming through whatever process, we share the same heartbeat and we're able to provide not just that community, but with Homeboy as a partner, the services that folks may need, and that can be anything from counseling to employment to housing. And so we're just blessed in the position that we are right and now as a company and excited for the future.
Speaker 1: Okay and Mike, because unfortunately we were like out of time, and I would love to talk to you more about this. Where do people find more information about Torpedo Coffee and where can we go get a cup of that coffee made with love right now?
Speaker 5: So you can get it online at the Petohocoffee dot com and you can also come to our first brick and mortar at in Pasadena six nine to five East Colorado Boulevard at the Romans Bookstore, the oldest and largest independent bookstore in southern California.
Speaker 1: And more locations expected to be opening sometime in the near future.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, yeah, awesome.
Speaker 1: We will be watching for it. Jose and Mike, thank you so much again. The co founders of Torpedo Coffee love to see people doing good and making the world a better place. Appreciate it a lot.
Speaker 9: Thank you all, Rank you, Thanks Erry.
Speaker 1: Love their story. I gotta go get a cup of that coffee. This is KFI and KOST HD, two Los Angeles, Orange County southund Weather from KFI. It's gonna be another hot one sunny after some amazingly morning low clouds, mainly at the beaches. HIGs will be in the eighties at the coast, nineties for Metro LA and in LANDOCI Heat advisories up for the valleys and high deserts through tomorrow, with highs in the upper nineties to about one to ten couple degrees cooler tomorrow and then cooling down five to ten degrees more on Wednesday and through the rest of the week, with highs in the seventies at the beaches, eighties for the metro areas, nineties in the Valley, still over one hundred. For the High Desert. It's sixty seven in Tustin, sixty eight in the Hobra, eighty two in Palmdale, seventy two in Pomona. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer Cono, also traffic specialist Nick. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed an a of Wakeup Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.