Speaker 1: You are listening to the biggest all night show in American radio, the other side.
Speaker 2: Of biggat all night show on American radio.
Speaker 1: Oh that's the only reason that mattaas Boom Boom from Hollywood would agree to come on this show when he confirmed through Nielsen that it was the biggest all night show in American radio. Because when you write as well as Matteas Boom Boom from Hollywood rights, there's a lot of pressure to stage the information in a professional and sparkling setting.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I'm fat. Nielsen has adjudicated this as being the greatest all time show in all night radio.
Speaker 1: So see, I don't I don't say greatest, I say biggest.
Speaker 2: Well, and and you know great in size and big in heart and biggest big is great. It's stupendous. What more experts are necessary? Well, perhaps we should get to the core I'm here for, because otherwise we'll just be repeating what is well known. Right.
Speaker 1: But one second you hear about Hayden Pannetier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was really sad, I mean young, too young. Of course, I think she's most remembered for her movies, the screen movies. But that's just very sad to die so young. It's just criminal to hold her whole life ahead of her.
Speaker 1: So, my friend, yes, please give us an update and then I'll quiz you later.
Speaker 2: Great Well, first of all, you piqued my interest at the beginning of this program by your curiosity, which is for such a great driver of this program, which speaks so many fascinating conversations about these amusement parks that seem to be abandoned, and there's so many of them, and the connection between railroads that go to them, and I immediately thought of salt Air. Now, of course, salt Air was on the south shore of Great Salt Lake. It opened in eighteen ninety three, and there was a train that used to go there, forty five minute train ride beginning at nine thirty in the morning. People would go out every forty five minutes to do this. They'd burst into song when they'd go out. There was a big thing on the south saw of the Salt Lake, and that was a place that by the nineteen fifty eight season had just closed. It was sort of forgotten, old, run down, and it lasted another twelve years and eventually it was demolished after an arson fire in nineteen seventy. But how this connects to movies is that one of the all time creepy horror films was filmed at this abandoned musement park, which is probably why if you're an old movie buffer the late night movie show, you have this inset idea that these abandoned amusement of parks not only exist, but are creepy haven's for ghosts. And the name of the movie was Carnival of Souls. It came out in nineteen sixty two. This is a really low budget movie and the eerie abandoned pavidion that burned down is photographed in this movie, and it's the ghostly focal point where the main character in the movie is drawn to dance with phantoms. So I think this movie on the Late show or in the sub run at the lower half of a double bill, and now it's a cult classic, certainly adds fire to the flame of this abandoned amusement park fascination that runs everywhere. And it's really it's an interesting movie, and it is very interesting these old amusement parks because when you think about places, and it's true of theaters or children's playgrounds, when you see them out of context, especially in movies. They use this as a wonderful device where something isn't right, or they make it black and white. Suddenly the mundane and normal become scary or weird or out of place. And that's all part of the imagination of these filmmakers and storytellers that have brought that to the fore.
Speaker 1: It's interesting to me that the economics of an abandoned amusement park, even six Flags in New Orleans. Six Flags in New Orleans, an abandoned amusement park, there's no mechanism, economic mechanism or rules in townships and cities to take them down. They okay, they're abandoned, and that's it. We don't know anything about it. But wait a minute, you're six Flags. You must have a few bucks to take these down, just for the safety element. Some wacky kid says, you know, I'm going to go up on that roller coaster, and it's two in the morning, and they're drunk, and it's wet and slippery, And it is amazing that there has not been more any accidents I know of of kids hanging out in abandoned amusement parks.
Speaker 2: It's true, and of course there's always the popular insurance fire aspect of it too, so parts of it can burn and they can collect on that too, so they can still make money from these well.
Speaker 1: As Michelle Gibson. As Michelle Gibson said, a lot of from eighteen fifty to nineteen hundred, there were a lot of things that were destroyed by fire, and it wasn't for insurance because it didn't work like that then it wasn't established enough. Then it was just to get rid of it, to put in the New World Order. And the New World Order had electricity that came with a bill that was the New World Order. You want all this energy, you're gonna have to pay.
Speaker 2: For indeed, Well, let me get back to movies, Walter. I. I just am so fascinated by everything that's discussed in this program. I can't help myself.
Speaker 1: But it's a very compelling program. It's a very compelling program, and it deserves many awards.
Speaker 2: I agree. You know, American movie going just had the single biggest weekend it's ever had. That North American theaters took in four hundred and twenty nine million, one hundred and seventy two thousand, six hundred and fifty six dollars between July thirty first and August second, which is the highest grossing domestic weekend on record. It broke the four hundred and two million frame that Avengers Endgames set back in twenty nineteen. So here today, gromestic grosses stand at six point two billion through Monday, the earliest crossing of the six billion mark since twenty nineteen. Four films have passed a billion worldwide in twenty twenty six, the largest such class since before the pandemic. So this is exciting times for the movie industry. Look at Superman right now at two billion, twenty one million, eight hundred and thirty one thousand, six hundred and seventy dollars. Just last weekend alone, from the fourteenth through the sixteenth, it did seventy million dollars. Other movies, The Odyssey's in the second place right now with five hundred and five total aggregate in US and Canada, The End of Oak Street, which is sort of a new dinosaur, not Dinoshore, but dinosaur movie twenty one millions, Paw Patrol, which is a cute comedy for the kids twenty million dollars, and Kat's Eye Wildhearts, which I've not seen four million dollars in place number five at the box office right now.
Speaker 1: Now, what would you say is the reason for this astonishing volume of business.
Speaker 2: Well, it's got to be Zendaia.
Speaker 1: That's right. It's got to be Zendaiya. And it's got to be Zendaya. And that kid who's Spider.
Speaker 2: Man, that's right, Tom Holland, who is mister Zendia.
Speaker 1: Mister Zendia. And that's how he'll be the rest of his life, just like Travis Kelsey've been mister Swift the rest of his life.
Speaker 2: There is Those are the two highest now grossing actors in the history of the movies.
Speaker 1: That's amazing And I'm so glad Lauren Bacall isn't alive to hear that. I is there. What are you going to watch this week? What's coming up? Matteas Boom Boom in Hollywood?
Speaker 2: A movie that I sort of teased last which has got Willem Dafoe as an old New York poet that has gone to work in the post office. No one remembers him to a bunch of rich kids that feign the fact that they're sort of artistic and hangout in these rather bohemian places sort of rescue him and bring him back and try to make him part of their circle. It's an it's an interesting thing, but it's a really great Dafoe is a fine actor, and it's it's really great. Martin Scorsese produced this thing, and it's it's really quite good. I'll talk about it some more this coming Friday morning on this program.
Speaker 1: You're a terrific contributor to the program. Have you seen any of the low level television that I've urged you to watch? No?
Speaker 2: You know, I keep asking for it, and the people at Apple have said they were going to send me our look at the Russian program and of course the wonderful program with the young teens, but I haven't. I have yet to see those two, but I have. I was just sent a program called Zorro as Jean Doujardin, famous French actor. This is a French take on Zoro, which is a small mini series that's going to start soon, and their little half hour episodes, and they're really quite funny. They sort of update Zoro. It's almost tongue in cheeks Zoro, and since it's French, it's very sexy, very sexy and very fun. So it's not the Zorro of our childhood. It's a more hip Zoro for today.
Speaker 1: The childhood. The childhood Zora was a horrible television show. It's just a crappy television show. Any anybody who's romance about that show hasn't seen it in seven hundred years. It was terrible black and white, it was cheesy acting. I saw one or two episodes as a mere child, and it was almost as bad as another show that nobody remembers. See if you can remember this, Did you ever see a show about trucking called Cannonball?
Speaker 2: No, it must have been a spin off of Cannonball Run.
Speaker 1: Huh, No, it was way before Cannonball. Oh, and it was here's the subhead of the title in any catalog that would make anybody run. It was sended syndicated Canadian production in black and white. In black and white, a syndicated Canadian production in black and white. And it was about the day to day life of being an eighteen wheeler and about dealing with other eighteen wheelers. And they always seemed to be a fistfight. For some reason, when these guys got to a parking lot, they needed to have a fistfight, and then there was always the tension between what was in the back of the truck and the police, always tension about that it was go ahead.
Speaker 2: Perhaps that burning smell that you had coming from Canada a few weeks ago may have been the only copies of that being offered up into the sky.
Speaker 1: I can't believe I had forgotten about it. I don't know. I was looking at some TV catalog for shows or something, and I saw it. I said, oh, really, it's interesting. How many episodes of this were Canadian syndication. Oh my god. It could not have gotten lower. It could not have gotten lower than Canadian syndication. Now, of course that's very exalted. Many people like Canadian syndication, like that Shit's Creek show that was Canadian syndication. But this was long before any of the levies were involved. All right, how do we find you online?
Speaker 2: Matias Bomball's Hollywood on Facebook, m A t i as Bomba lapostrophe s Hollywood just like the City. Mattias Boomballs Hollywood on Facebook. Thanks so much, Walter.
Speaker 1: No, thank you, thank you. Mattias boombom in Hollywood. The Other Side of Midnight, Walter sterling,