Speaker 1: Well again, we'll go back to non profits.
Speaker 2: You know, the old adage God will help those that help themselves. I think the men and I community and rurald Texas missed that memo. With ourkgior now in charge of the Department of Health usills on the rising along with others supposedly eleminated diseases. Here our belief ruling over reason and a lack of trust in established institutions. We are now on the precipice of some serious health crisises in the United States, especially in isolated communities where there is a serious lack of education and outreach to the wider impact of health access.
Speaker 1: We see how faith.
Speaker 2: Alone can lead to deaths that can be avoided with one simple shot. The story is from AP News by Devi Shastri on March fourth, twenty twenty five. Okay, my friend Eva, I got questions for you. So for my first question, you mentioned family decision making over well being. So I wanted to know your thoughts on families making decisions for their children for example that is going to cause harm and where is that line between parental right versus you know, because based like on our previous story.
Speaker 1: For Monday, how do we decide. You know where that line.
Speaker 2: Is when we're talking especially about parents being able to give like vaccines, are not choosing not to give vaccines to their kids.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that we have this idea. We insist that no one has the right to tell my family how to live, tell me and my family how to live, which I generally agree with. But I think what happens is you have decision makers in these families that believe they are making decisions in the best interest of their family, and that belief that they are matters a little bit. But what's happening in reality is like they most people just kind of like once they stop being required to learn, they don't anymore. So you're not like taking in new information and learning about like, hey, this is how vaccines really help, or you know, this is what medical research says about this particular thing, or this is why measles is worse? Then what will happen if you know what might happen if I do vaccinate? Right? So, and I think that's the problem too, that people tend to look at information in a vacuum. And so if you see that, you know there have been this many injuries from vaccines as a result of this or that vaccine, and you don't compare that to what's going to happen if you don't vaccinate. That's like me saying, you know, every if I say, every autopsy we've ever done in history has revealed some amount of dihydrogen monoxide in the cadaver at the time of death. If you don't already have the context that dihydrogen monoxide is just water and it's vital for life as we know it, then that makes it sound like that's somehow related to this high rate of mortality. But it's just a thing that happens to coexist and I happened to be there and not having it is much much worse than having it. But when you just look at that information without its context, you're going to scare yourself away from things that are more likely to help you than hurt you.
Speaker 1: No, that's a really good point.
Speaker 2: And Kelly, you mentioned like, you know RK Gear's you know, lack of vaccine education and class, and you know, it was like, oh, well, he knows what he's talking about.
Speaker 1: So I obviously.
Speaker 4: That I saw a quote in the article from Senior Senior Pastor class and do I trust all vaccines. No, And I give from Kennedy that he doesn't trust all the vaccines either, and he is very well educated in that. I'm not so. I mean, he's trusting Kennedy's education in vaccines. So I started thinking, I don't think Kennedy ever had any education in that. And I actually did a little bit of research around just doalve down the RFK rabbit hole, and it turns out well. First off, he was quite the little juvenile delinquent. He was even in a gang called the hyannasport Terrors, which to me is fucking hysterical. I'm not making this up either. Like he a lot of his family members said that he was addicted to drugs and he led other family members down the path of drug addiction. And honestly, besides the comical gang thing, he sounds like the people I was hanging on with the Dan Angel and the truth. He did a tuck funnel work on for environmentalism, legal work, but no vaccine background in any of that. He took a lot of corporations to court for pollution, which again good for him. Seriously, no vaccine education and any of that. The first, the first environment the first activism I ever did when I was a kid was for environmentalism, So I'm behind all the stuff he did when he was younger totally. But again, no vaccine education. He's an outstanding resume, but nowhere is there any training on vaccine, on healthcare, nothing. So this senior pastor is not trusting vaccines that have been tested and trusting a man who has not been tested.
Speaker 1: No, I agree with you, So, Tracy, I have a question for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, like and for example, and like Mennonite Amish communities, these isolated communities, they might not have the same access to education health education as like the general public. So we understand that there is a lot of religious privilege going on right now. Where do you think you mentioned like demonstrable harm in your notes and you know, where is that line, like, where is your kind of feeling about like lack of education versus you know, the health of our role of public populations like children.
Speaker 5: Well, Hannah, well I called you hand Helen. I'm just not gonna accept the lack of education as an excuse. Even the most poorly educated person can understand that when your child stops moving and responding to you and starts to smell a little funny that that means that they died. And when you look at all the kids in your community and you say, huh, well, they're dying a lot. And then you look at another community and you say, oh, my goodness, the children aren't dying as much. I wonder why there's no amount of removal from education, from our technology that is going to excuse this negligent behavior. There's no amount whatsoever. If your child is dying, unless you want back to keep happening, you take steps to fix that. I don't really understand. I can't understand not wanting to keep your child.
Speaker 4: From That's not what it is. It's it's it's I don't want my child. The problem is misinformation, not being well informed, but being well misinformed. So you have all these parents who are saying, oh, I had the measles when I was a kid and I lived, But if I give my kid a measle shot, they're going to be autistic. And I don't want my child to be autistic. And that's where that's where this fear comes out of. Now, of course, nobody's going to get become on the spectrum just because they got a measles vaccination. It's just not fucking happening. But there's so much misinformation out there teaching people this. I went through it with my kids. My ex wife brought it up, and we actually did some research, thank goodness, I you know, know how to research stuff, and we found out all this bullshit wasn't true, and my kids are both fact fully vaccinated. But but there is so much misinformation out there that it's easy to be led down the wrong path with it. So I'm sorry, I'm off my soapbox.
Speaker 2: Now there you go, so so HELI like your your kids on the younger end, like when my kids, like back in the early two thousands, when like the chicken pox vaccine came out, my daughter was like, Hey, we have the chicken pox vacne.
Speaker 1: Do you wearing kids to have it?
Speaker 2: I was like, yes, I didn't even question it because I had trusted in vaccines. With your you know, fully engrossed in the Internet age where misinformation happens all the time, did you struggle with those certain decisions when it came to vaccination or we're just like, I'm like, or did you have what sort of education did you have that you could sort through the bullshit? To really understand, like, you know, what's going to impact your child.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I was fortunate enough to already be somewhat reasonable by the time my son was born. Uh So I asked, I was already on the side of like, okay, like vaccines are not a bad thing. And I was. Actually I was in EMT school when we found out we were expect so I was learning medicine. I was kind of like learning how to like think critically and how like evidence is gathered. And that was really sort of my first introduction into like like data gathering type process. The teacher I had was fantastic. But so when it came to like me, when it comes to like, you know, medical decisions for my son, I talked to his pediatrician, who has all of his medical history, who has all of the knowledge and the education and the experience to look at the situation and evaluate him. And I can say, what do you recommend, and that pediatrician can say I recommend this, and I'll say, okay, And as long as like it's not obviously the wrong thing, Like who am I to suggest that I know better than a pediatrician that's twice my age. Probably I don't think I don't think they're that old, but uh yeah, and and and there's nothing wrong with being twice ways, but the fact that they they have the experience in their field to understand like, did I learn a little bit at one point?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Could I have had a conversation about like pediatric emergency medicine with that doctor at some point?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Maybe? Did I ever know more about them than pediatric medicine? Zero percent? Is that likely? I think that zero percent likely that that ever was the case. So yeah, I just trust what the profession, the professional, the experts say, unless it's clearing me wrong.
Speaker 1: So do I weird?
Speaker 3: That's not to say I'm sorry, sorry, I don't mean to keep going.
Speaker 1: Well, that's not to say that's.
Speaker 3: Not to say experts can't be wrong, Like it's not intended to be an argument from authority, like they can't be wrong. And if you feel like something's not right, yeah, of course check it. But like when the expert is saying like, hey, like the chance of injury is relatively low, and then like Kevin on YouTube is like, no, this is exactly what's going to happen. And I know it because I read about it on Facebook, Like I'm the doctor, is a better source than Kevin.
Speaker 4: Wait wait, wait what did Kevin? Wait? No, wait Kevin?
Speaker 3: It was Kevin.
Speaker 4: Kevin?
Speaker 1: So Kelly as the elder here.
Speaker 2: So do you think that, like, you know, because people haven't lived through you know, children die of measles or being affected by polio, for example, because those diseases have been eradicated for you know, especially like through when you were growing up and when I grew up, you know, with those diseases.
Speaker 1: Haven't been a thing like do they.
Speaker 2: Do you think that it is because like people aren't actually seeing these really extreme deficits of health to their children that is keeping them from understanding what it is, or do you think it's like something else.
Speaker 4: I think that's part of it. Sure, I mean that's that's definitely part of it. I had measles when I was a kid, I had chicken pox. I lived through all that stuff, and none of my kids did, None of my nieces or nephews did. So I see that as a reasonable of excuse for why some parents don't do it. And and a lot of now I'm older, but a lot of parents today they didn't see any of that when they were kids either. So they don't really understand that. You know, when the whole when the whole school got measles, one or two of the kids died from it. You know that they just don't get it. So I think that is definitely definitely a part of it. I think what I was saying before was a part of it too. I don't care about the whole thing. I just care about my child and what could happen to them. So there's kind of a bit of selfishness put involved in it too. And then we get also a lot of misinformation being put out there about how it's against your you know, a good a good follower of Jesus would never have something like this stuck into their body, you know, So that that's not helping either. There's a there's a whole bunch of different factors, but that's definitely one of them. It's definitely one of them.
Speaker 2: And I I think that feeds into the ignorance a lot. But but like you know, this particular article mentioned like the Mennonite community, which.
Speaker 1: Is you know that, and they are kind of a.
Speaker 2: Weird community because they're they're in between, they're not quite a must where they're completely isolated from you know a lot of society, even though they're constantly being influenced by it, like the Menonites kind of like you.
Speaker 1: Know, to the line between the two, you know.
Speaker 2: So they're exposed to certain levels of you know, secular life, they're exposed to certain levels of education. So I have to wonder again also too, because they are part of these religious sects, how much information are they getting and is the and do they know how to vet?
Speaker 1: And I guess that they don't, so, Tracy, Hi, and what what is your kind of feeling.
Speaker 2: With when it comes to medical expertise and where they're getting their information from? And should seculars a society be moving into these isolated communities to help educate them better even though their religious beliefs don't really.
Speaker 1: Want them to.
Speaker 5: So an important thing to understand about these religious sects. I know quite a few Amish families, and I've I've looked into the Amish quite a bit. I haven't really looked into the Mennonites. But this is this is my understanding. Whatever medical advice that they're given is then relayed to their elder, and then the elder tells them what it is that they're going to do that's not a vetting process. That's the elder checking with their tradition and their religious thoughts and interpretation. It's not a vetting process at all. They don't have one. They don't research these things. They just sit at at a surface level and whatever. And Kelly's right, there may be some misinformation that's been spread in there well, and they're not interested in debunking that information or looking deeper into it. They are only interested in their tradition. And I do think that we kind of owe the children. And I'm going to go off on this later about appealing to children, but I think there's a demonstrable harm here. There's five things that are needs, that are absolute needs that you will die if you do not have one of these things as far as I'm aware, and I could definitely be wrong, but they're food, water, shelter, medicine, and I had another one and I wrote it down food water, shelter, medicine, air. And they are depriving the children of one of those five things. This is I don't where's the line at which we're saying it's no longer a personal choice when you're depriving somebody of one of the things. They absolutely need in order to continue living. That's I do think we need to do something. I don't know what it is, but I think something needs to be done well.
Speaker 2: And it kind of ties back to we were talking to before about like, you know, even when we're talking about doctors.
Speaker 1: Being able to like you know, pick and choose you know, who.
Speaker 2: They're going to serve, it ties back into this, like with with parents also being able to choose what kind of medical care their children receive.
Speaker 1: We have to be able to find a balance between the two. Like and I think.
Speaker 2: That the lack of education, the lack of there's been erosions as Eli mentioned that you know, he's going to defer to his pediatrician tell the moment that his like you know, his Spidey sense goes, that doesn't seem right, let me go to you know, get more information, maybe get a second opinion, whatever that is. So I'm going to ask, like, Kelly, do you think it's like that lack of skepticism or so much skepticism that you you know, don't trust anyone and stuff for like an alter in your community, or you have so much skepticism that you don't trust anyone except for like you know why you listen to Kevin on Facebook?
Speaker 4: What's what that Kevin guy, that guy fucking knows everything? Doesn't know shit? Man, Man, I'll tell you a lot of viewers still a subscribers, like two point three million. It's it's really a tough thing because I don't you know what, I totally forgot your question again because I was thinking of something else. And I apologize.
Speaker 1: Just go on all you're thinking about it.
Speaker 4: It's fine, cool about what Tracy was saying earlier about you know, and I'm totally in agreement with man. I don't think you could. You can probably go on there in there with a truckload of information and they're not going to believe it because that information doesn't fit what they want to believe, where the misinformation does. Right, I want to believe this miss and I don't care if it's missing. They don't even care if it's missing. They don't know that it's information misinformation because they don't bother to check it out, because they lack that skepticism. I tied it back in your questionnaire, see that because they so so You're right. I mean, it's just like there is this there is a lack of skepticism on that side, and there is an overabundance of skepticism against authority figures. So you know, it's a weird thing, right, You got too much on one side and not enough on the other, and we're and you can't draw the line where the right amount of skepticism is, can you. I mean, it's a really weird It's like Loki's wager if you know what that is. If you don't know what Loki's wager is, go look it up.
Speaker 2: So, Eli, you mentioned like the leave it to your mother's things in your nose.
Speaker 1: As a mother, I was Myra went so, but what was your point with that?
Speaker 3: With the Lincoln to I am glad you're asking not only for the chance to clarify, but because it actually what has been spoken, Like what has been said is kind of reminded me of this. There seems to be this idea that mother knows best. It used to be father knows best. Now it's mother knows best. There's some combination of like, once you become a parent, you are imbued with the undeniable knowledge of what the absolute best choice is for your child, and that just isn't true, right, And I like this could be like in the wrong context, construed to be like anti mother, anti woman. I don't want it to be taken that way at all. I don't think even myself as a parent, I do not have infallible knowledge about what the best choice is for my son. And that's why I rely on experts like educators and like psychologists if that were to become necessary, psychiatrists in under the same context, medical professionals, whatever professionals that are in areas in which I have no knowledge, that's who I defer to when I'm seeking knowledge. And I just don't. And it is that improper application of skepticism because people don't like to have been wrong in the past, so they don't like to admit that maybe one of the choices I made for my child in the past wasn't the best choice, and now if I change my mind, now I have to admit that I didn't make the best choice before, and now I'm a bad parent. No, you're a bad parent if you continue to make the work like the not best choice in light of overwhelming evidence that the choice you're making is not the best choice. That's what makes your bad parent. Learning from your mistakes and teaching your child to learn from their mistakes and to admit when they got something wrong. That's what's going to make That's what makes you a good parent, because that makes your child an acceptable, like tolerable person to be around.
Speaker 5: Talk an, let's just look like a shelf of bibbleheads.
Speaker 2: I would I would ask the other people to be able to follow it up, but I don't think anybody could say it better. So, if you're interested in more content from us, here are the nonprofits.
Speaker 1: Find a video because there's all types of stuff, So do the thing.
Speaker 2: And also I'm going to remind you again to like and subscribe and ring bells because pray to the algorithm gods. By everybody comments and comments