Speaker 1: And hello, how are you happy? Wednesday? Today?
Speaker 2: It's the twenty first day of January, year of Our Lord twenty twenty six monument Tom Sullivan. And I'm not quite sure how to put this together. If we do it in chronological order, We're starting with this morning. I'm working our way through the day. But the news about Greenland, the big Davos meeting is going. Like I said, usually Davos is a big board. It's a playground for a bunch of CEOs and so forth and political leaders and they go to Davos and they.
Speaker 1: But this time.
Speaker 2: It's all shaken up. It's all shaken up by President Trump wanting to get Greenland and NATO and Europe, and everybody is mad at each other and they're all in this. They're all coming together in Davos. And well, it started off one direction, and the President gave a speech this morning. By the way, on the way to Europe last night he left Andrews Air Force Base on the Air Force one, the seven forty seven, and it had electrical problems and apparently the plane went dark on their way, so the pilots turned it around brought it back. President was late, but he got on the backup plane and wound up in Davos a little bit late this morning. But so he gets there and the first thing he's got to do is they's scheduled to give a speech to the assembled leaders and a lot of them are European leaders and NATO leaders and members of NATO. And while the president, somebody talked to him and he backed off immediately in this speech right out of the gate about he's not thinking about using military force.
Speaker 3: People thought I would use force. I don't have to use force. I don't want to use force. I won't use force.
Speaker 4: All we're asking for is to get greenland, including right title.
Speaker 3: And ownership, because you need the ownership to defend it. You can't defend it on a lease number one legally is not defensible that way.
Speaker 2: So everybody was signed a little bit of relief from Wall Street jumped up on the news that he said I'm not going to use force. But he did go through in his speech. It was about an hour and a half long, and then he took some questions after that, so it was quite a deal, but it looked like he was looking for an off ramp to back off of his I'm going to get Greenland no matter what. And besides that, I mean, President can't do that, you know, latterly, you've got to have Congress.
Speaker 1: I mean, all the various things.
Speaker 2: That we have bought over the years that we've always had Congress involved in every single one of those. But he went after, he went after Europe in general, calling them basically insulting them. He did call out and was they said later he was very rude. But Mark Carney, the head of Canada, and Maccrone Emanuel Macrone, the head of France, and he went after the Premier of Switzerland. So he's a lot of our allies. And the reaction was, even though he said I'm not going to use force, there was a lot of shock in that room, a lot of shock. So Rebecca Heinrich, who is a national security analyst, weighed in with this.
Speaker 5: President Trump goes back and forth between talking about how he wants Europe to be strong and then criticizing, of course, the Europeans for not spending enough on NATO, talking about making that he has led NATO to get stronger, and then criticizing the fact that Americans don't get much out of NATO. And if I can pull those things together in a way I think for our viewers that makes a lot of sense, which is that NATO is great for the United States when it's strong, because Europe is still our largest trading partner. I think last year it was something like Europe had one point six trillion dollars of American imports and they invested half of foreign direct investments, which means American jobs and prosperity here at home. So President Trump is urging Europeans to stop, you know. He criticized Germany under Merkel for getting rid of nuclear energy and praised the current German Chancellor Mertz for moving away from that again. And then, of course on Greenland, I really appreciated President Trump disabusing anybody of this notion that the United States would even consider military force against this great ally of the United States, and he moved the conversation back into the category of the United States needing to strengthen the security of Greenland. For NATO, it's good for the United States and Americans, and we have a treaty that already allows us to expand our forces there, and the Danes are willing to collaborate. So my hope, based on the President's remarks today is that we're moving back into more productive negotiations within the context of the NATO alliance.
Speaker 1: Well that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 2: So as the day went on, the President had meetings with a number of world leaders that were there, and that everybody started talking about maybe some sort of negotiation. Nathan Sales is a Farmer Ambassador at Large on counter terrorism in the first Trump administration, and this is how he saw what was going on.
Speaker 6: Well, Harris, I think that's the big takeaway, and it's an important message. Greenland is important to the United States international security, but there's a question of ends and the question of means, and we want to increase our presence there, but we want to do that in a way that doesn't needlessly antagonize our allies and doesn't cause major problems long term for the United States. So I think it was a welcome message for the President to take military force off the table. I think what's going to happen going forward. It's not clear that the Europeans are prepared to negotiate over Greenland's future, So let's see what happens in these side meetings in Davos. This matters to the United States, but Europe gets a vote, Denmark gets a voute, Greenland gets a vote. So let's stay tuned and see how these talks.
Speaker 1: And the talks went on.
Speaker 2: Like we said earlier, a president went from meeting to meeting to meeting with all these various heads of state. So Nathan Sales says, yeah, negotiations was needed and it could work out for the US down the road.
Speaker 6: We have conducted transactions like this in the past that have proven to be enormously beneficial to the United States over the long run. And you know, William Seward, Secretary of State, who orchestrated the purchase of Alaska from Russia, also was very interested in trying to acquire Greenland around the same time and ultimately was not successful in doing so. But the key difference between those transactions and today it takes two to tango. There has to be a party on the other side of the table that's willing to say, you know what, yes, we're prepared to sell this asset to you in exchange for money. And right now Greenland is saying no and Denmark is saying no. So if they continue to say no, that doesn't mean that the game is over. We still have opportunities to advance American national security interests there in Greenland. We have great basing rights under a nineteen fifties era treaty. We can increase our military presence there, we can develop natural resources there, we can sign deals to make sure that the Russians and the Chinese never have access to Greenland. So if we're not able to obtain Greenland through a commercial sale, that may well be the case. Plan B has to be boosing our presence there with one off agreements with the Danes and with the Greenlanders for the benefit of American national security and our economy.
Speaker 2: Well, I think President Trump was surprised because of the fact that he thought. I think he's used his technique in the past. I guess in some cases it's failed, but mostly he's been very successful with this kind of tough approach. And the tough approach didn't work, and it did not work. Like Nathan's sales said, Europe said no, Denmark said no, Greenland said no, everybody said, NATO said no. Everybody said no, We're not going to go with your idea. We're not going to do it. So this is the president, after sitting down and meeting with the head of NATO who he gets along with you for everybody.
Speaker 1: The title completely.
Speaker 7: Now can the people of the UK rest assure the deals comnation the fact that it looks like they have the concept of it. It's a long term deal, it's the ultimate long ternal I think it puts everybody at a really good position, especially as they security and minerals.
Speaker 1: Have you read the Look, how long would you deal with mister president the.
Speaker 3: Internet?
Speaker 8: It just takes to Denmark to just speaks to Dunmark or time.
Speaker 1: Money.
Speaker 6: Well, it's sign forever will there will there be the deal anywhere?
Speaker 2: Have Well kind of hard to hear because he was in the lobby of a building and its echoing and there were a lot of reporters asking questions. But he came out of the meeting with the NATO head and basically said we got a long term deal and involves minerals, and so there was some sort of deal announced. Nicholas Burns, who used to be an ambassador to NATO for the United States, reacted this one.
Speaker 8: Well, it sounds certainly better than yesterday's news. It sounds a little bit promising. Mark Ruta, the NATO Secretary General, has always had a way of working with President Trump, and I think President Trump clearly respects him. We'll have to see about this. The devil will be in the details. But the obvious off ramp here is that Denmark and the European Union are not going to permit the United States just to take Greenland for a price. And so if the deal here is that the United States can and build up our military forces on Greenland, and there's a nineteen fifty one agreement between the United States and Denmark that prohibits it and excuse me, permits it and welcomes it, that might be the off ramp. It won't be Greenland being sold to the United States. It won't be, as President Trump said this morning, by force of arms. It will be a deal between among NATO members and that's what should happen. I hope that's what this agreement means, but we'll have to see more details before we can be definitive about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and those details are lacking. There was a post to truth Social and it read as follows. It said, based on a very productive meeting that I have had with the Secretary General of NATO, Mark Rute, we have formed the framework of a future deal with respect to Greenland and in fact the entire Arctic region. This solution, if consummated, will be a great one for the United States and all NATO nations. Based on this understanding, I will not be imposing the tariffs that were scheduled to go into effect on February first. Additional discussions are being held concerning the Golden Dome as it pertains to Greenland. Further information will be made available as discussions progress. Vice President Jed E. Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Special ENVOYE. Deed Witkoff, and various others as needed, will be responsible for the negotiations. They will report directly to me. Thank you for your attention to this matter. So as you can see, Wall Street popped about six seven hundred points on the word that there are no tariffs going into effect that he announced just a couple of days ago. The problem with this is Ken Griffith, who's of the wealthiest people in the country. He's a huge hedge fund guy. He used to run it out of Chicago. He moved the whole operation to Florida because of taxes and the problems in Chicago. But he's at the Davos meeting, and he was speaking to the audience earlier today and this is what he said.
Speaker 9: I think the biggest issue is no one's confident with the US terror policy is going to be two years, four years, six years, eight years from now. And before you spend hundreds of millions of dollars or billions of dollars to build a manufacturing plan, you really want to believe that the policy that is the anchor of that decision will be permanent in nature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is driving people crazy. The business community is absolutely pulling their hair out because Donald Trump's on again, off again, on again, off again tariffs. Forget the whole discussion about tariffs, just the fact that whatever they're going to be, make them and keep them there for a long for the future. This is President Trump before the NATO meeting, in which he was still trying to find out a way to take control of Greenland.
Speaker 3: I'm seeking immediate negotiations to once again discuss the acquisition of Greenland by the United States. If there is a war, much of the action will take place on that piece of ice. Think of it. Those missiles would be flying right over the center of that piece of ice.
Speaker 4: All we want from Denmark for national and international security and to keep our very energetic and dangerous potential enemies at bay. Is this land on which we're going to build the greatest golden dome ever built.
Speaker 2: So again, after the meeting with NATO, everything went completely A one point eighty was, well, we have found a framework work and JD. Bans and Marco Rubio and Steve Whitcoff are going to be the ones negotiating this whole deal. So the whole talk about war, the whole talk about taking over Greenland went out the door right after the NATO meetings. So it was quite a day starting off with we're not you know, starting what he first arrived, it was we were going to maybe use military force. His speech was we're not going to use military force. Then later in the day he says we might still have it the war takes place, and then finally never mind, we're going to have we've reached a framework. We're not giving details, but we've reached a framework. So it was it was a one no question about it as today went on. So that was don was the President's there again tomorrow, So just hold your hats on tight. I have no idea what's going to happen tomorrow. You don't know with him what he's going to do. Let's get some phone calls in. We haven't done this for a while. It's my fault. I apologize. The phone number if you want to call, leave your comments good, bad, or indifferent. The phone numbers eight five, five two nine, five sixty six hundred eight five five two nine five sixty six hundred. Find the number also if just go to my website at Tom Sullivan dot com. So let's begin with Rumba from Central Florida.
Speaker 10: Hello, Tom, this is your irregular regular caller Rumba from the Center of Florida. Happy New Year, and just the thought on our president, since it's becoming real obvious that I think we have a president who's now run by his ego. His ego seems to be out of control. I really think he gets up every morning and says, what can I do? Now? They can get me onto the news, the internet and the newspapers, and it is becoming real obvious. Somebody pointed out, I don't know live on your show, but he seems to be the new PT Bono. He's a barker, and it's like I am now the greatest show in Eric and he's just making a case of an example. Some years ago Chase, Vava and Capital One started closing his accounts. Well now he's suing Chase and Capital One. And it's so interesting that those three banks are three of the top ten credit card issue with in America that he's going again. So I think this is also he plays revenge. This is his way of telling your banks, well, you mess with me, and now I'm going to mess with you or else. So anyway, I just found that really curious that that seems to be the way this thing is. The whole thing in Greenland is just awful. What's going on and what he's trying to do and what he says. It's just it's gotten obnoxious. But as you said, that's the way he is. But I think his ego has just run away and it's becoming really obvious to a lot of us that this is something we're stuck with for the eternity for now. So anyway, just a thoughts for today. Glad to hear you're still out there on the podcast every day. Be well, catch you later.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks Rumba.
Speaker 2: The only thing is you have to realize Donald Trump yes, yes, his ego is huge. I mean, but that's he's always been this way. This isn't something new. Some people are going, oh, the old guy's going losing his mind. No, he's always been this way. He loves to get the attention. I mean the famous stories are what he would call New York media and say that he was somebody else and proclaim how great Donald Trump was. So no, that's that's just who he is. Let's see, Eric, comrade is uh as called let me let me play one of his calls.
Speaker 11: The question about Greenland is who needs it more? Denmark or United States? Obviously you can see those little countries Denmark wanting that huge island in America. I mean, it's unnecessary for that country from the security, even from economic they don't develop it at all. So the United States needed and Trump brought this inconvenient question, one of this. He always brings inconvenient questions and people just like, oh man, we don't want to think about it, we don't want to answer this question. But these guys keep bringing them and making people uncomfortab it's he's all. He's just trumped them for sure.
Speaker 2: Thank you, well, said Eric. And yes, the president is not afraid to ask inconvenient questions, and it makes people all nervous when when he does that. But he's done that for a long time. Uh, Gino in Reno called and it was really long and it timed out. I don't know how long you can leave a message, but I think it's just a couple of minutes.
Speaker 1: So he called. He called back here here's Gino.
Speaker 12: Hey, Tom, Gino and Reno. I got cut off. I reached the maximum length of the comment line. A lot to say it, It's been a while anyway, I just want to end with I'm so delighted to be able to listen to you. I missed the conversations, but I still love being able to hear Salty and the comment line lady and a few of the other regulars. It's like old home weekend. It makes me smile. Keep up the great work, brother, enjoy your weekend, and we'll see what madness this weekend brings, and all look forward to hearing you share it with us on Monday.
Speaker 2: You can well, now there's funny of madness. We don't even have to wait for the weekend on something like that. Let's see what else have we got here? Oh, the comment line Lady Laurie, She weighed in, of course, always good to hear from her.
Speaker 13: The federal government is bringing whole milk back to school lunch rooms. It was originally banned because it was thought that whole milk would cause obesity in children. But that fear is unfounded because I've never yet seen a child drink milk in a school cafeteria.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're right. Maybe little little kids, but but yeah, the older you get.
Speaker 1: No, you got to.
Speaker 2: We's wrong with milk? I like, I like whole milk. I don't know if I drank it when I was in school. But so with that kind of a late session today, but I want to get right to Wall Street because it started off this morning the future's markets were down, not dramatically, but they were down. I saw the Dow down over one hundred points before the market opened. President goes to Davos, starts with the speech about I don't want to use the military boom. The market turned around, went up one hundred and fifty two hundred points from being down over one hundred, and then he got to the point where the announcement came out that a framework of an agreement has been reached and the market popped. It went up seven hundred points. Didn't finished there, but it's still way up today, up five hundred eighty eight. The now back above forty nine thousand to forty nine thousand and seventy seven. The price of the S and P up seventy eight, the NASDAK up two hundred and seventy, gold up seventy dollars, people still nervous, seventy dollars up to four thou eight hundred and thirty six.
Speaker 1: I think that's a new record.
Speaker 2: And oil went up a little bit today, up to just under sixty one dollars for one barrel of oil. So that's it for today. Thank you for coming by. We will be back tomorrow. I hope to see you then.