Speaker 1: The makers of Campbell Soup present the Campbell Playhouse, Orson Wells.
Speaker 2: Producer.
Speaker 3: Good Evening, Missus Orson Welles. Our story has promised is Huckleberry Finn, and our guest is Jackie Cooper. But since that promise was made, another star has joined the cast. Walter Catlett, whose face you remember from at least a hundred movies, whose voice of most recent memory is unforgettable in Pinocchio, in which mister Catlet created for mister Disney the character of j. Worthington, honest John fowl Fellow, the Fox, and who I'm still talking about Wall the Catlet will enact for us tonight the taxing role of the Duke. Also with us in the Campbell Playhouse are Clara Blandick, Robert Warwick, Clarence Muse, and William Allend. These and others await their cues to play as many of the Mark Twain characters as we could cram into a single broadcast. They will strive to please you every one, But right now they'd like me to read to you in a loud, clear voice the words printed on the title page of tonight's story. I quote persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted. Person's attempting to find a moral and it will be banished. Persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot by order of the author. Now before Huckleberry Finn Ernest Chappele has something to say about entertainment and other sort of chapel, sir, thank.
Speaker 4: You arson, wells, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: When you entertain at dinner, your first concern is the pleasure of your guests. You want to be sure that they enjoy themselves and enjoy the food you serve. And to this end, don't you often play safe and served chicken? I imagine you do, because you've noticed that nearly everybody enjoys chicken in some farm roast chicken or fried chicken.
Speaker 5: Or chicken frick a sea.
Speaker 4: Let's say, as much as you yourself probably enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm sure it must be this general liking for chicken that has.
Speaker 4: Made people take so wholeheartedly.
Speaker 3: To Cambell's chicken soup.
Speaker 1: One after another, families have tried this chicken soup and found it rich in chicken flavor, clear through from its golden surface to the very bottom of the plate. They've seen how it's brought fairly glistens with chicken richness, and they've relished the.
Speaker 6: Fluffy rice and the pieces of tender chicken meat in.
Speaker 4: It in every plateful. They've told others.
Speaker 1: How much they like Campbell's chicken soup, and so its popularity.
Speaker 3: Has grown and continues to grow.
Speaker 1: Have you tried this deep flavored, home like chicken soup of Cambell's.
Speaker 3: Why not enjoy it tomorrow?
Speaker 1: I promise you, just as sure as you like chicken, you like Campbell's chicken soup. And now orson well starts our Campbell Playhouse presentation talk about tim starting Jackie Cooper.
Speaker 3: Last week we said that this week we broadcast Mark Twain's Sockleberry Finn. Well, you're expecting then a dramatization could clear concise ladies and gentlemen, you will hear no such thing. We're sorry, but we think Carckoberry Finn is too good a book to be dramatized, exactly speaking, and so we won't. We won't even try a nicely parted version of the story. We couldn't do it anyway. We don't even have to. For one thing, the story hasn't got what you'd call a nice plot. The principal part of it, of course, relates to the deathless saga of a voyage down the Mississippi by the most celebrated wrath the world has ever known. We're going to tell most of that story, and as many of the others as we can, and as nearly as possible. In Mark Twain's own words, you'll forgive me, please, but I must inject what may seem at first to be the personal note. Ladies and gentlemen. It would appear that during the course of this past week there have been circulated rumors, rumors, evil, unfounded and unfair, nasty, vile rumors whose sources I cannot place, and whose origins I am at a loss to discover. It has been said that I will perform the role of Huckleberry Finn. You'll all be relieved. I am sure to hear from my own lips that this is not the case. Must be said, however, in all candor, that I restrain myself none too easily to be Huckleberry Finn, even for an hour. This was not likely to be put to one side. However, I'm as happy as possible and as proud as I really ought to be to welcome now to the Campbell Playoffs, that gifted and very young performer who will be Huckleberry Finn and who is actually Jackie Cooper.
Speaker 6: I'm mighty proud to meet you, mister Wells.
Speaker 3: Goberry Finn and a friend of Mark Twain's as always welcome here.
Speaker 6: Mister Twain did write proud by me in his story, didn't he?
Speaker 3: Right, Proud is a bit of an understatement, hug Well, when I think at the very beginning of the book, you don't know about me without you've read a book by the name of the Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
Speaker 6: That I thought you wasn't gonna play Huckleberry Finn.
Speaker 3: Mister Wells, Oh, pardon me, all right, huck.
Speaker 6: You don't know about me without you have read a book by.
Speaker 2: The name of the Adventures of Tom Sawyer. But that ain't no matter.
Speaker 6: That book was. That book was made by mister Mark Twain, and he told the truth madely.
Speaker 2: There were some stretches in it, But then I never seen anybody but lied one time or another.
Speaker 6: Without it was Aunt Polly or the witty Douglas.
Speaker 2: Anyways, that book winds up by Tom and me finding the money that the robbers hid in the cave, and it made us rich. And the widow Douglas, she took me for a son and allowed she would civilize me. It was rough at first, going to school every day and living in the house all the time, consider and her dismal regular and decent. The widow wasn't all our ways, but mostly things was going pretty smooth. That is till the night I killed a spider. I was a setting in my room.
Speaker 6: And I have just a paragraph or two, Huck, no more than.
Speaker 3: A paragraph or two, Thank you well. Huck was sitting in his room, tired and lonesome, trying to think of something cheerful, but it was no use. He felt so lonesome he most wished he was dead. The stars were shining, the leaves rustled in the woods, ever so wonderful. And there was an hole away off of Hoohoo, and about somebody that was dead, a dog crying about somebody that was gonna die, and the wind was trying to whisper something to him the way out in the woods. He heard that kind of a sound of the ghost makes wants to tell something that's on his mind. The candle was almost burned away.
Speaker 2: That's more than a paragraph or two, mister Wells. All right, that's right, mister Wells. When this year spider went calling up my shoulder, I flipped it off and lifted the candle, and before I could budget, it was all shriveled up. I didn't need Miss Watson's slave Jim to tell me that that was an awful bad sign and would fetch me some bad luck. But I thought maybe I might as well know the worst, because then.
Speaker 6: The thought of my pap came into my mind.
Speaker 2: Mighty powerful folks claimed, you know that my pack was dead.
Speaker 6: But something inside me told me better.
Speaker 2: So I put out the candle and climbed out the wind, and shinned down the light and rod and started out to Jim's place.
Speaker 6: For Jim had a hair ball as big as your fist which had.
Speaker 2: Been took out of the four stomach of an Ox, and he could do magic with it.
Speaker 6: And inside I wouldn't knows anything of what you want? Don't know now, huh? Think about the bath pretty considerable.
Speaker 7: Well, let me see, let me see what the spirit done say. He's say, he say, you old fall, don't know yet what he wanted to do. Sometimes the spect you go away, and then again he spect you stay.
Speaker 6: This's he's and let the old man take his the old way.
Speaker 8: The Jew's all right.
Speaker 7: You want to have considerable foot in your life and considerable joy. Sometimes you want to get hurt, sometimes you want to get sick.
Speaker 6: Well every time you want.
Speaker 3: To get well again.
Speaker 7: He wants to keep away from the water as much as you can, and don't run no risks. He's down in the buildings which just want to get hung.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Jim. It isn't everybody can rest easy. You know for sure he's going to be hung. I was kind of low spirited.
Speaker 2: Next morning, and I went down to the front garden and clumb over the stile where you go through the high board fence. There was an inch new snow on the ground, and I've seen somebody's tracks. I didn't notice anything at first, but next I did. There was a cross in the left heeled boot made with big nails to keep off the devil.
Speaker 6: Then I knew. And that night when I lit my candle and went up to my.
Speaker 7: Room, there sat tapping his own self, said rise.
Speaker 9: Yeah, here's Leason stars crows. Hey you're a good zeed of a big.
Speaker 8: Bug, don't it?
Speaker 7: No, I don't stops him.
Speaker 8: In under your lip.
Speaker 9: Hey, put on consider her many frills as I went away, and I'll take it down.
Speaker 8: Pay the fire. I got down with you.
Speaker 10: You're educated, too cold, read right?
Speaker 9: You get better in.
Speaker 8: Your own man, now, don't you, cause he can't. I'll take it out of you.
Speaker 9: Who knows you your good middle and set high?
Speaker 8: Fool foolish? Who told you you could the window? She told me? Widow?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 8: Who told the.
Speaker 9: Widow she could have put in her shovel? Bouts say?
Speaker 8: It ain't gone her business?
Speaker 6: Nobody never told her.
Speaker 8: I learn how to meddle.
Speaker 6: And look here, you drop that school.
Speaker 9: Yet I learned people to bring up a pirefore on airs.
Speaker 6: Over your own pammy, what's that young on the wall? Well, it's a picture of the widow gave me. It's just a little old.
Speaker 8: That'll do with that.
Speaker 6: I'll give you something better than that.
Speaker 8: I'll give you a card.
Speaker 11: Ain't you a sweet sanded down there? A bed bed cullers, looking glass, piece of copper on the floor. Your pappy's got to sleep with the hogs and the tang hos.
Speaker 12: I've never seen.
Speaker 8: It's like that song.
Speaker 9: But I'll take some of them pills out of here before I'm coming here.
Speaker 8: I there an't no end to your heirs. You say you're rich.
Speaker 6: Yes's so, I ain't got no money.
Speaker 8: That's a lie.
Speaker 9: Yes that she's done it. You get it.
Speaker 12: I want it.
Speaker 6: I ain't got only a dollar and I want it.
Speaker 8: Don't make no difference what you wanted for you just shell out.
Speaker 12: Well, you can have the dollar biking every dollar.
Speaker 9: Hey, you gonna bet your bottom dollar.
Speaker 8: I'm a gun.
Speaker 12: I'm on that.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna take a you woman if that gits that share and you're would have doug this. Once you're bad enough, they can come get you because there's a law. I've said a child belongs to parents. They want you. They're going to penny me understand that.
Speaker 8: Are you coming over your path?
Speaker 6: I'm not going.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, y'all, I don't know. Pepa can't leave.
Speaker 3: H don't you think you need a minute to recover? Huck, You know you just got hit and the kids you're I'm all right. I think you better let me take over for a little while.
Speaker 2: Oh, you ain't fooling anybody, mister Wilder. You just want to read some of mister Twain's book yourself.
Speaker 3: Well, old man Finn took cock over to the ill Noise short when old log hot word was woody, and there was no house with this hut, a place where the timber was so thick you couldn't find it if you didn't know what it was. He'd lock hockey and go off with the gun, which he'd stolen someplace, and get game fish and trade him for whiskey and fetch it home, get drunk and lick hug, and then reach for the drug again, saying he guess he'd add enough in that jug, but too drunks and urium treeman, and he had too.
Speaker 2: It's all just as much, Twain says. But I finally fool Papp and I got away. I was as scared of being followed.
Speaker 6: I didn't want nobody knowing where I was. Pap was a widow, Douglas or Judge Thatcher, nobody, So I just bided my time.
Speaker 2: I had an old saw hit out, and when Pap was gone, which was considerable, I'd hack away at the boards of the cabin till I made a whole big enough to get through.
Speaker 6: And one day Pap went away in town to get drunk. I found an old canoe and.
Speaker 8: Hit it up the creek aways.
Speaker 6: But it was the wild hog I caught in the marshes that gave me my real idea. It was pretty good, if I do say it myself. Only I did wish for Tom Sorry to be there.
Speaker 2: I knowed he'd have taken an interest in the business, and would I added some fancy touches.
Speaker 3: What'd you do, huck?
Speaker 6: Ain't you gonna let me tell?
Speaker 3: Of course, I was just asking.
Speaker 8: Well, here's what I did.
Speaker 2: I shot the pig and fetched it in and laid it on the floor of the cabin, and hacked into his throat with an axe and laid him down on the floor to bleed. And I dragged him clear down the river bank, leaving a trail all along the way.
Speaker 6: I pulled out some of my hair and blood of the axe is good.
Speaker 2: Stuck it on the backside, and after hacking up the cabin considerable, I slung the axe in the corner. And when I was done, I could have sworn and have been a murder committed, and I was dead. And then sticking the pig in the sack, I jumped in the canoe and took off down stream.
Speaker 3: Well Hawk followed the river for a couple of miles and more, and the further he got along to that river scene stretching miles and miles and miles, it seemed the moon was so bright he could calm the drift logs that went to slipping along black and still hundreds of yards up in shore, everything was dead quiet. It looked late, It smelled late.
Speaker 2: You know howidays the sky looks ever so deep when you lay down in your back in the moonshine, and how far a body.
Speaker 6: Can hear on the water such nights.
Speaker 2: I had a little laugh all in myself, thinking about how all them boats was cruising about, looking from my drowned body and me lying within shouting distance. It was about three days later that I saw fire through the trees and a man laying on the ground.
Speaker 9: It was MS.
Speaker 6: Watson's Jim. Hello Jim, I says, hello, Jim. Don't you hurt me, don't don't let me doom.
Speaker 8: I ain't never done no harm to a ghost. Ghosts alls like dead people.
Speaker 6: And don't put for him.
Speaker 7: You can go and get on back in the river again where he belongs, and don't you do nothing to old Jim as all as your friend.
Speaker 6: I'm not dead, Jim, that's what you say. Well, if I was dead, could have said.
Speaker 7: I'll pretend, Jean. If I find out your ears, I'll quit pretending, all right, Jim?
Speaker 8: How you come to be here?
Speaker 7: Maybe I better not tell why?
Speaker 2: Jim?
Speaker 8: Well there's reasons.
Speaker 6: But you wouldn't tell on me if I was attended, would you huck blamed? If I would?
Speaker 7: Jim, I believe you.
Speaker 6: Huh Uh, I'll run off, you run off, Jim. Mind you you said you wouldn't tell. You know, you said you wouldn't tell her.
Speaker 2: Well I didn't. I said I wouldn't, and I'll stick to it, honest engine. Well I ain't going back.
Speaker 6: There anyway, thank you.
Speaker 8: Huh.
Speaker 7: Look at them young words coming along flind the yard or two at the time and enlightening.
Speaker 6: What about them young birds? Oh that's a sign that's going to ring. Well maybe it is, maybe it isn't.
Speaker 8: But I can't tell him who. You can't. You can't, you mustn't. That'll be this.
Speaker 6: A lot of things are bad luck, aren't they.
Speaker 8: Jim.
Speaker 2: You can't go against the signs. It looks to me as though all the signs was about bad luck. Aren't there any good luck signs?
Speaker 7: Mighty few? Dana used to nobody, what you wanna know? What good luck's gonna come for?
Speaker 6: Won't keep it all?
Speaker 7: If it's got hairy arms in their hair breasts, it's a sign that she's wine to be rich. There's some use in a sign like that case. It's so far ahead.
Speaker 6: Because you got hairy arms and a hairy breast.
Speaker 3: Jim, it was to use to ask that question.
Speaker 7: Don't you see I have.
Speaker 6: It's raining, Jim, ain't'll surprise me. I see the signs.
Speaker 7: Destiny.
Speaker 6: Child chickens know when that's goining to ring.
Speaker 7: Sold to be buried.
Speaker 6: We got to get them out of these wilson and get some face warm.
Speaker 7: I know, cap enough the eyes on the field.
Speaker 3: Rain for twelve days. The river went on rising. We went clean over the banks, and one day they caught a little section of a lumber after, just big enough to hold all their things, of which they had considerable. By now eating some women's clothes, they found a deserted shackle on the river. In the thirteenth stay of the rain stopped.
Speaker 6: I reckon, I slip over the river. Jim and find out what's going on.
Speaker 7: That's raised my idea.
Speaker 6: Huh, but you got to go in the dark and look mighty sharp.
Speaker 3: How about the women's clothes?
Speaker 6: How about them? Jim, do I look like a girl?
Speaker 3: He looks back the most beat for you?
Speaker 7: And with that sunbotty on, your heat tied tight down, seeing your face and be like looking down at the jine up a stove fighting.
Speaker 6: Want to be sure you don't hitch up your dress? What you means me in your bitch's pocket?
Speaker 12: Well, lan sakes, little girl, come here, thank you man?
Speaker 10: And what might your name be?
Speaker 12: Sarah Walls? Whereabouts do you live in this neighborhood? And Norman Hooker pills some miles ball.
Speaker 13: Well, it's a considerable way to the upper end of town. You better stay here all night. Take off your body.
Speaker 8: Oh no, no more.
Speaker 12: I'll rest a while, I reckon and then go on. I ain't a fear of the dark.
Speaker 13: We've got plenty of excitement around here. A young boy called Huck Finn was killed the other day. For a while, some people thought that he's on path did it? Almost everybody thought it at first.
Speaker 6: You'll never know.
Speaker 13: How nigh he come to get lunched, but before night they changed around and judged.
Speaker 6: It was done by a runaway slave named Jim.
Speaker 12: Why he What was you gonna say?
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 12: Nothing, ma'am? Are they after him?
Speaker 13: Well, you're an innocent is three hundred dollars laying around every day for people to pick up.
Speaker 10: Some people think he ain't far from here. No, I'm one of them, but I ain't talking around.
Speaker 12: What did you say your name was Mary Williams.
Speaker 13: I thought you said it was Sarah when you first come in.
Speaker 12: Oh, yes, my dear Sarah, Mary Williams. Mary, Sarah's my first matom some gord, he sir, God me.
Speaker 10: Mary, I see Sarah, Mary.
Speaker 12: I wonder if you do a favor for me anything you're saying, Man, hold this ball yarn for me here? Catch?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 12: Oh shucks. I didn't mean to drop it, ma'am, just as I thought.
Speaker 10: Now, what's your real name?
Speaker 8: Is a Bill?
Speaker 12: Or Tom or Bob or what?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 12: Please don't poke for a little girl like me.
Speaker 8: Mom.
Speaker 13: If I'm on the way here, now, you can tell me your secret and trust me I'll keep it, and what's more, I'll help you.
Speaker 12: What's your real name now?
Speaker 6: George Jones Hoyscot.
Speaker 13: Ma'am, well try to remember it, George, you do a girl tolerable, poor blessed shit child. When a girl tries to catch anything in her lap, she throws her knees apart. She don't clapp them together the way you did when you catch that ball.
Speaker 2: Yarn.
Speaker 13: Now, I'll Followong Sarah, Mary Williams, George Jones, hoys rot and if you get into trouble, you send word to missus Judith's loftus, which is me, and I'll do what I can to get you out of it.
Speaker 12: Thank you, ma'am. You've been off a kind of pulling gr She ain't never watch that.
Speaker 6: I mean to a little boy, and he ain't never gonna forget it.
Speaker 12: Hey, thank you, ma'am.
Speaker 3: If i'd been in your spot with that woman hawk, I think I could have done better. But we'll just forget about that.
Speaker 6: You could not have done better, mister Wells. Even Tom Sawyer couldn't have done better.
Speaker 3: I said, we forget about it for days. Huck and Jim on the raft slid down the water as the Mississippi bomb for Cairo. At the bottom of Illinois. They traveled at night, laying up along the Missouri shore in daytimes. Mornings before daylight, Hug could slip into a melon patch and it'd be nice and cool for their breakfast, and they laid through the day swimming a little maybe or how could show off his education? He'd read the gym out of a book they'd picked up in one of their excursions. Considerable in this book about kings and dukes and hurls. How much do you king get?
Speaker 2: Why they get one thousand dollars a month as they wanted. They can have just as much as they want. Everything belongs to them.
Speaker 8: Ain't dead, ghee?
Speaker 6: And what you got to do? They don't do nothing? They just sat around?
Speaker 8: No is that so?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 6: They're just lazy around or go hawking or other times.
Speaker 2: When things is due, left us with the parliament, and if everybody don't go, just so he whacks their heads off.
Speaker 6: But mostly they hang around the harem, around the witch harem.
Speaker 7: What's the harem?
Speaker 2: The place where the king keeps his wife? Don't you know about the harem?
Speaker 6: Solomon? Oh he had about a million wives.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, so I didn't forget it. A hand's a boarding house, I reckon. Most likely there was racketed times in the nustry.
Speaker 6: And there's other kings, Jim.
Speaker 2: There's a little sixteen that got his head cut off from France long ago. And there's a little boy the Dolphin that would have been king, but they took and put him in jail.
Speaker 3: And some say he died there pool living fella.
Speaker 6: Some say he got out and got away and he come to America.
Speaker 3: That's good, but he'd be pretty lonesome.
Speaker 6: He ain't no kings.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's up. No, then he can't get no situation.
Speaker 8: What do you wanna do?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 2: No, some of them gets on the police, and some of them learns how to learn people how to talk.
Speaker 6: Prince. I don't French people talk the same way he does.
Speaker 2: No, Jim, you couldn't understand a word they say, not a single word.
Speaker 7: No, No, I'll be deen busted.
Speaker 8: How to do that? Come? Oh?
Speaker 6: I don't know, but it's so I got some of the jabber out of a book.
Speaker 2: Supposing a man was to come to you and say, Polly Voo Franzine, what would you think.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't think nothing.
Speaker 6: I'd take him and bust him over their head.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't let nobody call me that shucks.
Speaker 6: They ain't calling you anything. It's only saying do you know how to talk French?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 6: Then white, wouldn't he see it?
Speaker 8: Well? He is saying it.
Speaker 6: That's a Frenchman's way of saying it wants a blamed, ridiculous way.
Speaker 7: I don't want to hear no more about it.
Speaker 6: A sis in it? Look ahead, Jim. Does a cat talk like we do?
Speaker 8: No? Cat?
Speaker 7: Don't?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 8: Then does a cow? No?
Speaker 6: Cow, don't either? But does a cat talk like a cow or a cow talk like a cat?
Speaker 8: No? Don't.
Speaker 2: Well, it's national right for him to talk different from each.
Speaker 8: Other than ain't it cool?
Speaker 6: And then the inter natural right for a cat and the cow to talk different from us?
Speaker 8: Why? Most surely it is?
Speaker 2: Well, then why isn't it naturally right for a Frenchman to talk different from us?
Speaker 10: You answer me, that.
Speaker 7: Is a cat a manho?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 6: Well, then there ain't no sense in a cat talking like a man.
Speaker 8: Is a cow man?
Speaker 12: Or is a cower?
Speaker 2: Cat?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 6: She ain't neither of them?
Speaker 8: Well, there they ain't got.
Speaker 7: No openings to talk like either one or the other of them.
Speaker 6: He is a Frenchman a man?
Speaker 7: Yes, Well, then then blame it. Why don't he talk like a man.
Speaker 8: You answer me that.
Speaker 3: Well, fucking Jim Judge. Three nights mar bringing inside of the lights of Carro where the Ohio River comes in. They could sell the raft and get on a steamboat and go way up the higher amongst the free states, where human be safe, maybe out of trouble. So for three days and three nights they floated on, Huck and Jim, alternating on watch see most A dozen times one or the other of them thought they saw the lights of care over. Every time it turned out to be nothing but a little settlement the sentiment. Then suddenly, on the evening of the fourth day, Oh.
Speaker 8: What's a word on you now?
Speaker 9: Jim him nice to you all day?
Speaker 6: So many lights game. We've been pulled before.
Speaker 9: It's Cato.
Speaker 8: He's a nice Carol.
Speaker 9: We'll say, well, we'll save jump up and crack up your heels.
Speaker 8: That's the good old Carol.
Speaker 12: Laugh. I heard his findation, Jim, I reckon, you're right, look at them.
Speaker 6: Life's Jim left like a Christmas tree.
Speaker 12: I'm going over and take a ton no.
Speaker 6: And see tell me for there you and here my cook put in the bottle.
Speaker 8: How you being more comfortable that way? Let him go Jim good by, Uh he.
Speaker 7: Goes ooh to h the only white gentleman that he ever kept his promise to old Jew.
Speaker 2: Well, that was quite a priviio, huck. I guess saw mister Wells. Only I was getting sicker and sicker.
Speaker 5: I didn't know what to do.
Speaker 6: It was my bond and duty to Miss Watson not to help a runaway slave.
Speaker 2: But Jim had always been mighty good to me, and his last words seemed kind of to well to take all the.
Speaker 6: Tuck out of me. I went along slow, not knowing what to do.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: Then along comes a skiff with two men in it with guns.
Speaker 15: Say, why.
Speaker 16: What's that?
Speaker 8: Flows in yonder?
Speaker 6: He's a raft a minnes only one.
Speaker 12: Sir Wells.
Speaker 17: Five slaves run off the night up yonder about the head of a man, your man white.
Speaker 6: Oh god, well, be good, why he he's white?
Speaker 15: Mister al right, boy, to see any one away slaves?
Speaker 9: You can help now you can make some money, right, goodbye, sir? All hold them no runaway slaveship by me if I can help it.
Speaker 2: Well, they went off, mister Wells, and I got aboard the rat, feeling bad and low, because I knowed very well I've.
Speaker 6: Done wrong, and I see it.
Speaker 2: Warn't no use for me to try and learn to do right. A body that don't get started right when he's little, well, he just.
Speaker 6: Ain't got no show.
Speaker 2: Then I thought him minute, and I says to myself, hold on, now, suppose you'd have done right.
Speaker 6: Suppose you'd have done right and give Jim up. Would you have felt better than what you do now? Well, I was stuck. I couldn't answer that, so I reckon, I wouldn't bother no more about it. But after this allays do whichever comes handiest.
Speaker 2: At the time, you.
Speaker 1: Are listening to the Campbell Playhouse presentation of Puffaberry Finn, produced by Awson Wells and starring Jackie Cooper.
Speaker 5: This is the Columbia Broadcasting System, and now Orson Wells.
Speaker 1: Resumes our Campbell Playoffs presentation of Pacoberry.
Speaker 3: Fin starring Jackie Cooper.
Speaker 8: Wells.
Speaker 6: Two or three days and nights went by. I reckon, I might say they swam by.
Speaker 3: You'd better let me take over a while, Huck. I'm sure you're tired.
Speaker 6: Oh I'm not tired, mister Wells.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you're tired, Huck. Two or three days went by, I reckon, I might say, they swum by. They went along so quiet and smooth and lovely. Some monstrous, big river down there, sometimes a mile and a half wide. Huck and Jim and run at night in high daytimes you only always in the dead water under a tow head, and cut young cottonwoods and willers, and hide the raft with him. They'd slide into the river and have a swim so it's to freshen up and cool off. And then they'd sit down the water where it's about knee deep, and watch the day like them, not a sound anywhere, perfectly still, just as though the whole world was asleep, only sometimes the bullfrogs cluttering. Maybe now I'm in a raft.
Speaker 6: Sliding by, please mister Wells.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 2: Then one morning, about daybreak, I took the canoe and crossed over a shoot to the knee shore. I wanted to get some berries for Jims in my supper. Just as I was passing a place for a kind of a cow path across the creek, it comes a couple of men tearing up the path as tight as they could put it, and a hanging on to a couple of the radiest, fattest carpet bags.
Speaker 8: You ever did see boy boys?
Speaker 18: Save us?
Speaker 8: Hid you guys the new boy? If you don't, they just.
Speaker 2: Here on afros let us sen Jim, Jim Gravelholme to.
Speaker 18: Jim, I'll come home, my boy.
Speaker 8: You will never regret it this year, good teed no sart boy, you have saved the life. Two lives, young men, two lives.
Speaker 2: Don't you too know each other?
Speaker 8: Not till we just met on the way, so to speak?
Speaker 3: What got you into trouble?
Speaker 8: Brother, well Sae, I've been selling a little article to take off the tartar from the teeth, and it does take it off too, and generally did enam along with it. But I stayed about one night longer than I all do. What about you, Bob Well?
Speaker 3: I've been running a little temperance survival and that that town about a week. But somehow or another little report got around last night that I had a way of putting in my time with a jug on the sly, and a fellow routed me out the morn, told me the people was gathering on the quiet with their dogs and horses, and they'd be along pretty soon and give me about half an hour start, and then they'd run me down if they could, and if they got me, the hard feather man right me on a rail shore. So I didn't wait for no breakfast, day went hungry.
Speaker 8: Say I'm ref and we might double team it together. What do you think?
Speaker 3: I ain't indisposed? What's your line print of bitrade?
Speaker 8: Do a little patent medicine? He had a actor tragedy, you know, take a turn at mesmersement phrenology and then there's a change. Occasionally, keep singing geography school for change. Sling a lectionis sometimes. Oh, I do a lot of things. Most energy in it cons handy as long as it's not work.
Speaker 3: I have done considerable in the douct way in my time, laying on the hands at my best, to preaching too and working camp meetings and missionarying around dear lass, what are you laughing about?
Speaker 8: To think that I should have lived to be leading such a life and be degraded down in such company? And Donia skin ain't to comp me good enough for you? Yes, tis good enough for me, but as I deserve. Who fetched me so low when I was so high? I did? I did it myself. I don't blame you, gentlemen, far from it. I don't blame anybody. I deserve it all for let the cold world do its worst. One thing. I know that somewhere there's a grave waiting me. The world may go on just as it's always done, take everything from me, loved ones, property, everything, But it can't take away my little old grave. Someday I'm gonna lay it down in it and forget it all. My poor broken heart will then be at rest. I ain't blaming you, gentlemen. I brought it upon myself, Yes I did. I did it all myself.
Speaker 3: Brother, brought you down from where where was you brought down from? Uh?
Speaker 8: You wouldn't believe me the world ever believed. So just let it go. Let it go, Let let it pass, Let it pass.
Speaker 2: No matter.
Speaker 8: The secret of my birth, secret to your birth?
Speaker 12: Do you mean to say?
Speaker 8: Brother? Do you mean to tell gentlemen? I am going to reveal it to you, for I feel that I may have confidence in you. A right, gentlemen, I am a duke A do No, you can't mean it.
Speaker 9: Yes, my great.
Speaker 8: Grandfather, the eldest son of the Duke of Bridgewater, pledge to this country about the end of the last century to breathe the purer Freedom married here and died, leaving the son his own father. Dying about the same time, the second son of the late Duke seized the titles in the estate. The infant real Duke is ignored, and I am the lineal descendant of that infant. I am the rightful Duke of Bridgewater, gentlemen, and here am I for Lord, Lord from my highest brother men despised, but the cold world ragged Lord, the heart brooking and degraded to the companionship of fellas.
Speaker 6: Oh no, no, don't go crying there, mister Duke. I'm powerful sorry for you.
Speaker 8: Thanks hell that helps. That helps, if there's.
Speaker 6: Anything we can do to help you.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 17: Well, now, if you were just to bow to me when you speak or call me your lordship, I wouldn't mind.
Speaker 8: In fact, I wouldn't mind me called me playing Bridgewater, because after all, that's the title, not a name.
Speaker 6: Of course, your lordship.
Speaker 8: Then if you want to wait on me in a time, Not that I like it, but it's what I've always been used to.
Speaker 6: If you hear that, Jim, I reckon, I'll have to learn you to say your lordship.
Speaker 7: I can drink of water right now, be necessary, would your lordship, I can drink the water right now, sir, Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 8: But hey, you've got the idea. Fine.
Speaker 3: I my regret to say, brother, but you ain't the only man who's had troubles like that.
Speaker 19: No, no you ain't.
Speaker 3: You ain't the only person that's been snaked down wrongfully out in the high place. No, no, you ain't the only person that's had a secret of his birth.
Speaker 8: Hold on, what do you mean?
Speaker 3: What builds water? Can I trust you to the bit.
Speaker 7: Of death the secret of your being? Come man, speaking build water? I am the late Dolphin. You're the late watch Yes, my friend, it is too through your eyes.
Speaker 8: It's looking at this very moment on the poor.
Speaker 3: Disappeared dolphin, Louis the seventeen, son of Louis the sixteen and maryanth Nor.
Speaker 8: For you at your age? No you mean you're the late Charlemagne. You must be sixty seven hundred years old at the very least.
Speaker 3: Trouble has done it too. Trouble has done it. Trouble has brung these grows here in this premature voltitude.
Speaker 9: Get you.
Speaker 3: You see before you in blue jeans and misery, the wondering exile trampled on a suffering, rightful King of France.
Speaker 6: The King of France, the son of the King of France, the King.
Speaker 3: Of France, by now, and if you want me to feel a bit easier and better, if you was to get on one knee when you spoke to me.
Speaker 6: You always call me your majesty, and always.
Speaker 3: Wait on me first at meals, and don't sit down in my presence until I asked you then help a lot, Yes, your majesty, Why why.
Speaker 8: Should you be so first? What's this bout sitting down in your presence? Now? Bill's water, Bill's water we ought in the fight.
Speaker 3: My father was very friendly with your great grandfather and all the other dukes of Billswater. They was a good deal thought of by my father and was allowed to color the palace considerable Bill's water.
Speaker 8: Now, don't call me Bill's water, breakwater, Bridgewater.
Speaker 3: You and I should be friends?
Speaker 8: Well, all right, very well, your majesty, A great like it's not going to be together a flame long time in this poison rat. So what's the use of our being sour?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 8: Everything's uncomfortable in my father weren't born a king? Is it? There's no fault. You weren't for her to do. So what's the used worry? Make the best of things, the way of finances. I that's my motto. This ain't no bad thing that we've struck here, you know, funny of grub an easy life. Come on, give us your hand, king, Come on, let's be friends, friends, friends non forever now and forever no king. Yeah, what is it, bille Water? I got some friends of actioning in my head. You know, there's revival meeting just throwing down the river at peace, and I better hang for him to tread the boards again. I can teach the king here, my friends, some of the fine rudiments of acting built Water.
Speaker 3: I've been looking at your handbuilt about your being correct the younger jury lay in London, and I think maybe there's as much to be made out of this play acting business is in a revival meeting anyways, I'm just a freezing some pressure.
Speaker 8: Well fallen granduate the first good time we come to. We'll just hire a hall and do the sword fight from Richard the Third and in the balcony scene we do him, she, Romeo and Juliette. Of course, I always have to do my specialty the sort we from halet.
Speaker 3: Well, that's all right by me, do but right now I got a hankering for bid, and it's mighty wet tonight time plague. What was this exercise? I haven't had it?
Speaker 14: What do you say we turn in?
Speaker 8: Will the far pleasant young host will show us the beds in question? I'll be willing to join you in nocturnal repose your matches.
Speaker 3: For the Yeah, well there's only two beds.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's Jim's and mine. Mine's a bit better, being a straw tick and Jims is a shop.
Speaker 1: Take.
Speaker 6: Well, there's always cobs in a shop tack.
Speaker 3: Well, now, sir, I'll just take your bit that your grace built water. I should reckon the difference in rank. Would have suggested to you that the corn shot bed were just bitten for me.
Speaker 7: We won.
Speaker 3: Your grace, will take the self.
Speaker 7: I will not, Oh, yes, you will.
Speaker 6: No, I won't water?
Speaker 8: All right you, grace? Well, this used to be my faith, always to be ground into the mire under the heel of oppression. Misfortune has broken my once hotty spirit.
Speaker 12: I yield.
Speaker 8: I submit is my faith. I'm alone in the world. Let me enjoy my suffering, Let me alone to suffer go way, go way way good we.
Speaker 15: Ladies and gentlemen, hurry, urry, horry, horry, horry, horry, horry, hory, howry step this way one night only the world when I am Virgilian's David Garrick the Younger and Edmundtine the Elder of the Royal haymark here a white chapel, putting lane.
Speaker 8: Ticket in London, London, jetan in London, England, in.
Speaker 15: Their sublime sakety revival, Step back this me.
Speaker 8: Ladies and gentlemen, listen to hamlet.
Speaker 15: Jim mortal Soloe by the illustrious Garrick, done by him three hundred marking three hundred consecutive.
Speaker 8: Knights in Paris.
Speaker 15: In Paris, Frans Gabe boy is gabree here for one night only an account of imperative European engagement.
Speaker 18: Step by hurry, herryry, horry, hurry, ladies, gentlemen, Admission questified, says children tenants ten cents a tin diamond pen posa hurry, hurry, hurry, hery horry hi.
Speaker 8: To be or not to be? That is the bare bodkin that makes calamity of so long life?
Speaker 16: Or who would podles pare you burnawood do contidentcity tails the respect moscimus pause, who would bear the vipson scorns of time? Your pressor's wrong and shut charge yourn in customary suits of solid back.
Speaker 15: But that's the undiscovered country from which four no travel returns breeze, fourth contagion of the world, and us the native view of resolution.
Speaker 17: Like the poor captain in the edge, he's sickling all with care consummation about little with let's falk you, oh not ty ponderous and marble jaws.
Speaker 9: What gets into another earth vector?
Speaker 6: And damn me who first?
Speaker 12: Christ hold enough?
Speaker 6: I suck that to the end, mister Wells, because it ain't often.
Speaker 2: You get a chance to hear the greatest poetry ever written recited as smart as all that.
Speaker 6: But when they started to do it the fourth time, I kind of figured I had got everything worthwhile out of it already, so I thought i'd go, particularly when I noticed a lot of people on.
Speaker 2: The outside of the crowd with buckets of tar in their hands. It wasn't going to be healthy around there in a little while. That warn't hard to see, so I beat it out and made it just as quick as I could.
Speaker 6: Down to the river to where I left Jim in the raft. Hey, Jim, set or lose Jim. We're all right now, I ditched him.
Speaker 8: We're shut of him.
Speaker 6: Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Where are you?
Speaker 8: Jim? Hey boy?
Speaker 12: Hey you hey?
Speaker 2: You know anything about a slave that was dressed in brown pants and blue shirt, one sleeve tore off?
Speaker 6: Whereabouts down a.
Speaker 12: Silas Felth's place? Someone had catched him, catched him, said he was a runaway slave.
Speaker 14: Who New Orleans?
Speaker 6: Where's the Felps place?
Speaker 12: Not two miles on the way.
Speaker 15: Hey.
Speaker 6: I didn't wait to answer him, mister Wells.
Speaker 2: I was too full of trouble, full as I could be losing Jim right away, and I knew there wasn't but one thing to do.
Speaker 6: Light out for the Felt's place and just trust the luck.
Speaker 8: I must say.
Speaker 6: My luck held out.
Speaker 10: Then life, and you all keep killing me? Quiet time? Good morning, ma'am?
Speaker 8: Is this the Phelps place?
Speaker 14: It is?
Speaker 10: But well then alive?
Speaker 8: It's you last at it?
Speaker 6: Well, mom, I wouldn't have known you.
Speaker 20: You don't look much like your mother's a reckon you would Did you get your breakfast on the boat?
Speaker 2: Tom?
Speaker 6: Yes'm I got it on the boat.
Speaker 10: We've been expecting you for days, Tom, but kept you get a ground?
Speaker 6: Yes'm where's your brother?
Speaker 10: Said said mom? Yes, didn't he come with you?
Speaker 6: Norman said didn't come?
Speaker 10: Well he was supposed to. Sally here, Well there's your uncle.
Speaker 12: Now what do you mean, Syler's the.
Speaker 10: Boat ain't come in?
Speaker 8: Well, if it did, it just come? Who's that?
Speaker 6: I'm sensir? I mean Tom, Yes, sir, Tom Sawyer?
Speaker 8: And who's that?
Speaker 10: Who is who coming up the road there?
Speaker 8: Who's that?
Speaker 2: Excuse me, ma'am. I didn't mean what I said. I'm said what Well, then who's that?
Speaker 8: Who you reckon?
Speaker 14: It is?
Speaker 6: I ain't got no idea.
Speaker 8: Who is it?
Speaker 12: Tom Sawyer?
Speaker 3: Just one minute, Huck?
Speaker 8: Did you say Tom Sawyer? Aunt?
Speaker 6: Sally said Tom Sawyer?
Speaker 3: Tom Sawyer?
Speaker 6: Oh, Tom Sawyer. Well there ain't never been but one Tom Sawyer.
Speaker 8: That's right, Huk.
Speaker 2: But still, well you can imagine, mister Wells. By this time, I was so confused, I'm most slam through the floor. But if the old man and the old woman were joyful, it warn't nothing.
Speaker 1: To what I was for.
Speaker 6: It was just like being born again.
Speaker 8: I was so glad to find out who I was.
Speaker 6: I had only one worry. Now that was to get to Tom before he got to the farm and tell him the way of thing.
Speaker 9: Oh boy ho, Now hold on that Tom Sawyer stopping man huckle Berry Finn.
Speaker 6: Well, you don't want to come back and have before I ain't come back. Tom ain't been going honest injined j Nichols.
Speaker 8: No, I won't ever murdered at all.
Speaker 2: I played it on him just to get away from pack. You come here and feel me if you don't.
Speaker 6: Believe me, Reckon, you're real alright, alright, not Tom.
Speaker 2: There's something going on here nobody don't know but me, and that is there's a slave here that I'm trying to steal out of slavery.
Speaker 6: And his name is Jim, or miss Watson's Jim. Watch Jim.
Speaker 8: I know what you'll say.
Speaker 6: You'll say it's dirty, low down business. But what if it is? I'm a low down and I'm gonna steal him and I want you to keep mum. Not let on, William.
Speaker 12: I'll do more than that, Huck.
Speaker 6: I'll help your stealing in a little cabin just back at the barn. You're meaning that little old shed, Yep, it's as easy as pie. Stealing the body out of there. Yeah, that's the trouble.
Speaker 8: This whole thing is just as easy as can be until.
Speaker 14: That makes it so rotten difficult to get up a difficult plan.
Speaker 8: It got in there all the difficulties.
Speaker 14: Now you gotta have a rope ladder and you got a shitty down it and break your leg in a moat. Yea, I wish there was a moat to this cabin, you know, if we get time the.
Speaker 8: Night of the escapable dig one.
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 2: But what I or what do we want of a mode when we're gonna snake Jim out.
Speaker 6: From under the cabin?
Speaker 2: Wouldn't do Yeah, there ain't necessity enough for it.
Speaker 8: Huh, necessity enough for what?
Speaker 6: Why this saw Jim's leg off?
Speaker 8: Good lamb?
Speaker 6: What do you want to sew his leg off for anyway? Or some of the best authorities has done it.
Speaker 14: They couldn't get the chain off, so they just cut their hand off and shoved and a leg would be better still, So well, let it go.
Speaker 8: But he can have a rope ladder. We'll terear for sheets.
Speaker 6: What a nation can he do with a rope ladder?
Speaker 8: Do with it?
Speaker 14: He could hide it in his bed candy. That's what they all do, and he's got it too. You don't ever want to do anything that's regular. Well, all right, Tom, fix it your own way. But if you'll take my advice, you'll let me borrow sheet off in the clothes line, and borrow.
Speaker 10: Our shirt too.
Speaker 6: What do we want of a shirt for Jim to keep a journal?
Speaker 14: On?
Speaker 8: Journals?
Speaker 9: Your granted?
Speaker 6: Jim can't write him, I suppose he can't write.
Speaker 14: He can make marks on the shirt, canny if we make him a pin out of an old pewter spooner, or a piece of old iron barrel hoop, or a.
Speaker 2: Best candlestick or something, and what will he make?
Speaker 8: Ink?
Speaker 14: With iron rust and tears? But that's the common sort, the best I'll thought. He's used their own blood. Jim could do that. And when he wants to send any little common ordinary in my serious message to let the world know where he's captivated, but he can write it on the bottom of a tin plate where the fork and throw it out the window. The iron mask always done that, And it's I'll blame good way too.
Speaker 6: Jim ain't got no tin plates. I feed him in a pan. But we'll get him something can't nobody read his plate?
Speaker 12: That ain't got nothing to do with it?
Speaker 6: Then all he's gotta do is to write on the plate and throw it out. You don't have to be able to read it. Why half the time you can't read.
Speaker 14: Anything a prisoner writes on a tin plate or anywhere else.
Speaker 6: Then what's a sense and waste in the plate?
Speaker 12: Why'd blame it all?
Speaker 6: It ain't the prisoner's plate. Well, it's gotta be somebody's place, ain't it, Reckon?
Speaker 8: We'll have to dig him out.
Speaker 2: With our case knives, then, Tom, there just ain't no sense in using case knife's to dig jim out in that cabin.
Speaker 6: Well, you wouldn't want us to use shovels, would you?
Speaker 8: It's too easy?
Speaker 6: But Tom founded this foolish Tom, don't make.
Speaker 8: No difference how foolish it is. It's regular.
Speaker 6: It's just gotta be done this way, huck.
Speaker 14: Sometimes it takes weeks and wheeks and weeks forever and ever. A one prisoner dug himself that way out of the castle, deep in the harbor of Marstall.
Speaker 8: How long was he at it?
Speaker 4: Do you, reckon?
Speaker 6: I don't know, thirty seven years? And he come out in China, but Jim don't know nobody in China.
Speaker 12: Listen to this letter. Don't betray me.
Speaker 6: I wish to be your friend.
Speaker 20: There is a desperate gang of cutthroats from over in the Indian Territory going to steal your runaway slave tonight. I am one of the gang, but have got religion and wish to quit it and lead it honest life again, and.
Speaker 10: Will betray the hellish design.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 20: They will sneak down from north AND's along the fence at midnight with a false key and go in the slave's cabin to get him. I am to be off the piece and blow a tin horn if I see any danger.
Speaker 10: Instead of that, I will bar like a sheep so as they get in and not blow at all.
Speaker 2: Then whilst they're getting.
Speaker 20: His chains loose, you slip there and lock them in and can kill them at your leisure. Don't do anything but just the way I'm telling you. If you do, they will suspicion something and raise.
Speaker 12: Hoop jebbery who I do not wish any.
Speaker 10: Reward that you know I have done the right thing.
Speaker 12: An unknown friend, Stylus, you've.
Speaker 8: Got to do something, you are Sally, Oh, we got to get help. Silas.
Speaker 12: Round up men from the village with guns. Bring them here at.
Speaker 8: Once, stylus.
Speaker 6: Time time.
Speaker 8: What is it?
Speaker 6: The house is full of men with guns?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Is that so?
Speaker 6: She hain't got bully?
Speaker 8: How many?
Speaker 1: Most?
Speaker 8: Hundred? Why?
Speaker 2: Houck?
Speaker 8: That ain't nothing?
Speaker 14: If it was over to do again, I'll bet I could catch two hundred. See if we could put it off my worst.
Speaker 8: Here are you all? Said? All right?
Speaker 6: I will slide out and give the sheep signal.
Speaker 8: Bam.
Speaker 14: Now run for it.
Speaker 6: Careful Tom, that's the fans. Hurry, Jim, come on to wait.
Speaker 12: I can cut my pants on the butter. Here you are you shore? We gotta try and make a hut. There ain't no well away there.
Speaker 6: Oh, go on, go on, Tom.
Speaker 10: Don't mind me, Tom, Tom, Well, I'll be blowed if it.
Speaker 6: Ain't the young ones you mean?
Speaker 12: Man? This is your kin, Bob.
Speaker 9: Yes, the rascals want them hert Man, I don't even know what it's all about.
Speaker 6: Miss getting away.
Speaker 9: Hey, we'll shut you.
Speaker 6: Up this time where you can't get away, get a doctor quick.
Speaker 10: Tom's been shutting the bay.
Speaker 12: Hurry you can't shut him up. You can't aunt Sally.
Speaker 6: He's a spree of cleaners, walks the ear out of his head?
Speaker 10: Whatever does the time leave you? I mean every word I say, Aunt Sally.
Speaker 6: I've known him all his life and you're talking about said.
Speaker 12: Sorry that's said, Aunt Sally. He ain't seen it.
Speaker 6: Oh slow, use now we might as well tell the truth talk.
Speaker 3: I'm Tom Sawyer, but this here is Huckleberry Finn.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 10: I never not thinking Huck was dead.
Speaker 8: I didn't tell you.
Speaker 2: But oh, miss Watson passed on away two months ago, and she set Jim free.
Speaker 10: In her will.
Speaker 8: And what on earth did you want to set him free for him? Me?
Speaker 10: Seeing he was already free?
Speaker 6: Now that is a question I must say. And just like a woman, why houck?
Speaker 14: And he wanted the adventure of it, and we'd have been willing to wait neck deep in blood for him.
Speaker 10: Well, I reckon, I ain't think that scams in all my years before Lance takes alive.
Speaker 7: Yeah, now, huh, what I tell you? What I tell you up there, Jack Sniley, I told you I got her breast and what the sign on it?
Speaker 6: And it's come true? He is he is Danna don't talk to me. Signs is signed.
Speaker 14: And another thing, Huck, your pap ain't coming back anymore, Hucks.
Speaker 2: Tom.
Speaker 6: They found his body floating in the river. So your money is all yours now, Huck, all yours.
Speaker 8: And Jack was.
Speaker 19: Everything a happy ending, hey, Huck, Well, that depends on what you call happy, mister Wells.
Speaker 3: I should say you all ought to be happy.
Speaker 8: Well, that's just it.
Speaker 2: You should say it just so happens that I'm Huckleberry Finn and mister Twain wrote the book about me, and I'm the one to say, all right, Huck, you say well, Tom's most well now, he.
Speaker 6: Got his bullet around his neck and a WatchGuard.
Speaker 2: For a watch, and he's always seen what time it is. So there ain't nothing more to write about. And I'm a rotten glad of it, because if I'd have.
Speaker 7: Known what trouble it was to make a book, I wouldn't attack it.
Speaker 6: And I ain't gonna know more, but I reckon I got a light out for Indian.
Speaker 2: Territory pretty soon, because Aunt Sally's gonna adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand him.
Speaker 6: I've been there before.
Speaker 1: You have been listening to the Campbell Playhouse presentation of Huckleberry Finn, produced by Orson Wells and starring Jackie Cooper.
Speaker 4: In just a moment, mister.
Speaker 1: Wells and his guest players will return to the microphone. Meanwhile, one quick reminder. You'll be serving soup frequently these early spring days, won't you.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you will.
Speaker 1: And in letting Campbell's make your soup for you, as I hope you will, May I suggest you think often of Campbell's chicken soup. You'll find its full, rich chicken flavor will delight everyone at your table. They'll enjoy too, the fluffy rice and tempting pieces of tender chicken meat that help to make this chicken soup of Campbell's so homelike in taste and good nourishment.
Speaker 3: Have it tomorrow, why don't you?
Speaker 5: If you will, then I know with your very first.
Speaker 1: Spoonful you'll understand why I say, Just as sure as you like chicken, you like Campbell's chicken soup.
Speaker 3: And now, ladies and gentlemen, Orson Wells and his guests, Ladies and gentlemen, I present mister Jackie Cooper.
Speaker 12: Good evening.
Speaker 2: Say I'm sorry about that little misunderstanding we had over.
Speaker 6: Who was to read the book.
Speaker 8: That's all right, my boy, quite all right.
Speaker 3: Mister Cooper, Ladies and gentlemen turned back the calendar a few years tonight in movies. As you know, he's just done himself, very proud over the paramount lot in booth Tulkington's seventeen till next Sunday night, and mister Benny and June Moon, my sponsors, the makers of Campbell Soups, and all of us on the Campbell Playoffs remain as always obedient for yours.
Speaker 1: The makers of Campbell Soups join Arson Wells and inviting you to be with us in the Campbell Playhouse again next Sunday evening when we present Jack Benny in June Moon. In the meantime, if you've en George Tonight's Playhouse presentation, won't you tell your grocery so tomorrow when you order Campbell's Chicken soup. This is Ernest Chapel saying thank you and good night.