Speaker 1: It's night time with Dan Ray. I'm dull you Beasy bond in news radio.
Speaker 2: Tonight will be much cooler than recent. Here Gone Today is going to be big, the most watched daytime service of the year, over six million worldwide by one the King of the world.
Speaker 3: Your whole ministry is set up to serve the Gemstones.
Speaker 2: Shame yourself, well, praise bd he. Why does that he leave me out of everything?
Speaker 4: Being leaders?
Speaker 5: That's men's business.
Speaker 2: No more of a man than Kelvin is why God argue with today.
Speaker 5: Good afternoon, Jesus, thank you for letting me to be born into this world as a Gemstone.
Speaker 2: I grew up in a rural area. What she's trying to say is that she is a poverty person. I grew up in a hard working, middle class family. We weren't rich, but we also weren't poor.
Speaker 5: And we also don't really care if that's kind of a boring lame or the story.
Speaker 2: Nothing better than the Gemstones, the righteous Gemstones on HBO and joining us right now is one of my good friends. As we continue our series of Boston Guys doing Well in Hollywood. We had Michael Mallley on, we had Chip Hamilton, on and now we have Chris Pappers on the Pride of ALGONQA and high School Happy.
Speaker 4: How you doing, Oh Gary, how you doing, mister Tangle, I'm doing great.
Speaker 2: Listen, it's great to talk to you. And I just want to run down some of your credits here because one of the things that I find amazing, and I talked about this you probably weren't listening, but at the beginning of the show, it's almost like the Ray Donovan thing. It's like, could Ray Donovan really go half a Hollywood is from Boston. It's amazing to me, it really is. Half of Hollywood's from Boston. All the guys working on I don't know if it's because as Bostonians and New England nights, we have so much pain that we need to go out and do something creative.
Speaker 4: But it is quite a pain. It is quite a painful profession.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 4: If you hit the nerve, you hit the nerve on something there.
Speaker 2: But you know you've written, you'd be Halloween. You worked with Sandler on that wrong way, Missy producer, do over the right I'm sorry, I'm sorry, sorry, let me get that wrong. The Righteous Jemstones also on Unhitched, where you worked with the great Rashida Jones. So you've had a great run and a great career and I just want to talk to you about the ride. So, you know, what do you think is it about people from New England? Because I mean I got to get Donnie Wahlberg on here and some other folks. What do you think about it is people from New England that make great writers or great creative people?
Speaker 4: You know, maybe that we're all like arcastic, son of a bitch is grown up. I think that might have to do something with it about it, So I don't know, it's a good question. Yeah, when I came out to l A, you know, uh in Santa Monica, and it took me about five minutes to figure out that, uh Sonny McLean's And they even have a Boston bar out there, right, you know, it's almost like they have you should have like a Sonny McLean internship out there that just bred a bunch of Boston people. But but yeah, no, there's a lot of connections, a lot of I remember when I first got out there, there's a lot of like Emerson people out there from Boston. I remember they had they have a lot of internships that I met a lot of good people that had come out there. But you know, it's just just like one of those things. I don't know, you tell me, you know why. What drove me out there was you know, it was kind of on my own. I didn't really follow anybody. I kind of went on my I drove out solo. And when you get out there, you know, it is kind of the land of the lost out there. But you know that's one thing that's a little bit of a saving grace, is like the connections that you make, ironically are the deeper ones are all from the people, uh, from the East Coast. You know, our friend Chris Meyer, he was one of the first people I met out there, and you know that's how I hooked up with the Fairly Brothers. But I met him even before I met the Fairlies or before he met the Fairlies, and uh, you know, I guess us Boston people kind of like find a way to kind of connect.
Speaker 2: Isn't there like a Newemen basketball game out there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it was just it was yeah, it was like the courts and Santa Monica and it was kind of a melting pot, you know of whether it was Boston. I mean it was really you know a group of people from everywhere, but it was really a way to connect with with people. I mean even Woody Haw some movie playing out there. Don cheatle I had a great story about, Uh, this isn't a you know, a Boston guy. But I went out there to run a game once and we needed a fifth and this guy kind of this like six foot six a Donnis who's like twenty two years old, walks out and I'm like, hey, you want to actually kind of run? We just own the court for the whole day. Uh, And I'm figuring like this guy has to be a professional athlete. And his name was Jason, and I'm like, what are you doing out here? And he's like, yeah, I'm out here for the NFL Draft and I'm like, oh really, I'm my god, guys like the most athletic person I've ever witnessed in any sport. And then I remember I went home and I looked in the first round in my Sporting News magazine and it was Jason Taylor that was ended up drafted by the Miami Dolton And they had one blurb in the Sporting News and it said could be the most athletic player in the whole draft. And I was like, oh, yeah, he was a good athlete.
Speaker 2: Oh oh yeah, yeah, there's no doubt about that.
Speaker 4: Who but those courts, but those courts were like, you know, really a melting pot. And how I kind of how you kind of made your friends your connections and you know, uh, it was kind of a big thing for me.
Speaker 2: Well, I heard Bill Lawrence tell the story. Who was actually a writer on Friends for a season. But as we know, Bill Lawrence went on to do Spin City. I believe Spen City. But Ted Lasso and he and George Clooney before Clooney was Clooney were playing basketball and Lawrence said, yeah, I got on this show Friends. I don't know if it's going to go. And then cluding said, yeah, well I'm on the show.
Speaker 1: Er.
Speaker 2: They've used the name a hundred times. It doesn't look that good, right, And they were sitting there talking about it, like playing hoop. It's a big it's a big thing in Hollywood, you know, it is the families, right, didn't fairly used to take courts with them on sets.
Speaker 4: They you know, not as much as like Sandler. You know, he plays like everywhere. But but yeah, we would like we would have games all the time, you know, Pete and Bob whenever they would go on set. I mean they would make the sets amazing, like you know we've had we would have a crew egg tosses, you know what I mean. Uh, we just stopped for ushing and those guys. We just have all the crew everybone who would pair up for an egg toss at the end of the day. But but yeah, I mean, you know, that's how you meet people when you go you know, when you go out and you make the jump, you kind of have to figure you know, stuff out, and you're going to meet people, and uh, you know the weird thing is is these people become your good friends first and then you kind of like branch out from there because everyone you know, at the time when I moved out there in the mid nineties, you know, Hollywood was you know, it's a different story back then now from now to you know me, the nineties was like just a great error to kind of go out to LA and try to you know, try to make it. You know, there was no internet. There was like you know, trade magazines and you know, you just hope one day you were gonna your name would be in the trades and selling the script, and uh, you know it was. You know, I look back on it now as such a nostalgic time, you know. Uh. In these days it's just streaming and you know, the games changed COVID. Everything's done still through zoom meetings instead of in person meetings. Uh, you know, it's just a different world. Now.
Speaker 2: We are going to continue our conversation with the Great Chris Pappus from Malgonquin High School, as we continue our series with Boston guys doing well in Hollywood. That's all coming up next year on WBZ.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from The Window World, Light Side Studios on WBZ the News Radio.
Speaker 5: Dark forces are at work, evil forces that wish to destroy our family.
Speaker 2: The Lord has always had Gemstone's back.
Speaker 4: They don't messing with the male.
Speaker 5: The Lord is easy pickings.
Speaker 2: I refuse to be blackmail kind of. I mean, that's pretty much exactly what this is.
Speaker 4: Can you go down for this?
Speaker 2: You better keep our names out your mouth. You'll stop trying to step to me.
Speaker 4: Did Jesus flash me? Do it again?
Speaker 2: See what I did?
Speaker 5: You live dumb with them glasses on, wearing them it's.
Speaker 2: Fashion to night daytime dummy. Maybe Johnny sees it was right. Any of this family has become an abomination. What day you just threw Jesus across the room? No it was a karate person. No, that wasn't a karate person.
Speaker 5: That was Jesus.
Speaker 2: Writer and producer from The gem Stones. Do you want to see Chris Pappus to continue our series of local guys doing great in Hollywood? And I do want to get to the JEMs Stones real quick. But Danny McBride and the key to that whole show, pap is just everything is said seriously, right, but it's hilarious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's uh, it's really Danny's baby and Danny's vision and you know, us writers here we just we support his vision. But but yeah, it kind of comes from uh, it comes from truth. You know, he grew up in the South and he was kind of a witness to all the stuff and uh in these megachurches, and you know, obviously there's a lot of comedy to mine from that, but you know, but it definitely comes from like you want to believe that these people are you know, believers, you know what I mean, especially from the top from John Goodman and uh, you know, and you know we do a lot of flashbacking too to kind of you know, deep root, that kind of realistic approach, so we can go a little hog wild with the comedy.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, it's also tough though. As you told me when this started, is they don't make fun of religion because you don't want to insult people. But their believers, the Gemstones are believers. They just want to make a lot of money doing it.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly, you know, And it's it's a core though, you know, when the when the show's kind of running, running its best and it's it's it's on track. It's really this three spoiled kids, you know what I mean, right, and the fact that it's like, you know, that's really how you get away with it. It's like, you know, it's kind of the rich megachurch dad and it's a business. It's like the family run business. And but like you know, he has these hill these grown you know, grown men and women are his children, but still act like their children. And uh, you know, whenever we're writing and whenever we can get the three of them in scenes together, is I think when we all feel the show hits stride.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Edie's great, Edie Patterson, correct.
Speaker 4: He's Yeah, he's like just such a talent like she she writes with us. So you know, there's only about six writers, including Danny and Edie. So you know that's the other part of this. Uh, to be in such a small writer's room with really fifty percent of the core cast with Edie and Danny is amazing. You know. It's like, you know, it's very rare that you could do that. It'd be hard pressed to find another show out there that that does that, where you have the two of the main leads in the writer's room, and and so it's kind of a it's almost an advantage. You know.
Speaker 2: Well, she's also a member of the Groundlings or wasn't she a Grounding?
Speaker 4: Yes? And she does improv like Edie's just what's great about easy, Like she just hones her craft. I mean, not only is is she a great actor, she's a great writer too, And so we collaborate a lot together and it's so much fun working with Edie and she's such a cool person. And a little fact there you mentioned Unhitched, right, and that was a TV show that we created. I believe it was two thousand and eight, right, and and we ran that. We casted that show, you know, with bit actors, and we always tried to find special people, and we actually we casted her and she made the cut in a in one of the episodes of Unhitched when it was one of her first jobs.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 4: And I didn't know her at all. Right. It was kind of like, we're all kind of like, oh, she's really funny, let's hire just the funny ones. And then you cut to you know, a decade and a half later and or you know, ten years later, maybe when we first started the writer room. I didn't recognize her. And she kind of was like, you know, I was brought up on hit. She's like, you know, I was kind of I'm like what, I gotta be kidding. She's like, yeah, that's look my first job. I was like, oh, that's wild. So but she's yeah, she she does improv shows, you know, down here in Charleston, she does some improv shows. When she's in LA. She does improv shows. You know, she's just a pro, that's what she is.
Speaker 2: She plays Judy Jimstone. She said, people who follow the show obviously know who we're talking about, but Judy Jimson along with Adam Devine who plays the brother, and then Danny as well. But one thing I want to mention, she was great and knives out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's great, knives out and uh yeah, I mean she's great.
Speaker 2: That was a serious turn. That was not a comedic role.
Speaker 4: It was not a comedic role. So I mean she could you know, she can act, you know, but she can also wing it. You know. It's and I you know, and you see it. I mean when you let her go do her thing, you just kind of stand back and watch. She's great. You know. When we write pages and a lot of times we'll read them out loud. It's always fun to just to sit back and listen to an eatye one, you know that's great.
Speaker 2: What is the writer's room like? Take us through that whole experience. You've been in a number of them, But what are you know, in general some of your experiences and what is it like with the Gemstones.
Speaker 4: Well, like I just said, like the most unique thing is having you know, what is it forty percent of the writers are the actors, you know what I mean? So having those two people in it, and you know, it's just real intimate. We kind of operate out of Charleston. We kind of you know, I was in La for you know, I don't even know from ninety four up until two thousand and nine eighteen, and then we kind of McBride just said, hey, do you want to go right on the show and pitch this whole thing about South Carolina? And so we moved the family to come here and and it was you know, it is really a family, you know, with him and his family and other people.
Speaker 2: Uh happy. How does it work? Like just so like when you start from an idea, how does an episode get written?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: How does it give us the detail?
Speaker 4: I guess you start, I mean you start with anything, right, You start with kind of like what are you trying to do in the series? Right? What's this year about? And really it just starts out as kind of like really just a big idea, and then you kind of just focus it down and really you try to generate storylines for all the lead characters, and so you know, some episodes might be heavier and some of those main character storylines and or some of them if a main the best is when you have a main storyline that affects them all, you know, like, you know, the best moment I could you know example I could give you is like in season two, they show up at this New York Time Jason Schwartzman's little place that he's like a New York Times article writer doing a piece on them, and they slip in his blood and fall, you know, and they run out and get in the tesla. Like that's when the show for me works its best. But you know, when you break it down, you really just kind of need, like you know, before you start like writing dialogue or writing out the script, you just kind of have to outline what the stories are and what the arcs are for the season.
Speaker 2: How long does that take?
Speaker 4: How many lot of energy?
Speaker 2: Because I think I don't think people understand how much time it takes to do what you guys do.
Speaker 4: We you know, we uh, you know, we're lucky enough to have you know, Danny likes to like really go down a lot of roads. And so for example, this year on season four, we started right at the beginning of January and we finished in about June, so it's about six months. But it's only nine thirty minute episodes. Now some may go longer, some might be forty five minutes that might before, but generally speaking, it's about a half hour show. And so you know, you're good six months on nine half hour episodes now in contrast to what people might see, let's say like a multi camera sitcom like like Frasier, where you shoot like twenty two or twenty four episodes of half hour you have about you know, six to eight months to write those. We take you know a lot of time only because we go down a lot of roads. You know, we like to try different roads out. So we go through and write you know a lot of scripts and go down a lot of storylines that are dead ends, and we're not afraid to, uh, to just start over, you know, like to.
Speaker 2: Give us a dead end case if you don't mind sharing if you can, I understand, but like a dead end of what like for example, like you guys had this great idea and you were trying to get it.
Speaker 4: And oh, oh for an example, yeah example, yeah, like you know, I think it won one for this season. We had an episode where Jesse was going to get pulled over or he did get pulled over, and you know, he ends up getting arrested and evades the cop and you know, we're like, what can happen from that? And like, you know, do we get the sheriff involved in the power of the gemstone? You know what, like do they squash this guy? And did this guy get fired? And as he come back as like a villain? Like again, those are for an example, let's try and and play that out, you know. But sometimes if you have a storyline like the one I just pitched out and it goes down a road that maybe doesn't affect some of the other siblings that you know, you don't want to necessarily write storylines that kind of deviate from what I explained about earlier, which would be the kind of like have storylines that trigger the whole like the siblings, the three siblings.
Speaker 2: Right right, because that's when they're at their best.
Speaker 4: That's what that's their best, so you know, but sometimes you know it can you know, maybe we could figure out how that could affect all three of them. So, you know, we wrote a lot of scenes that were really funny. Danny wrote a great scene that I was just talking about about Jesse and uh and it was really good. We really wanted to keep it, and we kept it for a really long time and and Hopefully we don't have to use it again because I'm telling everybody about you know, but that's an example of going down roads. But like it was because this great kind of like episode or scene was written that kind of elicited some like, you know, a deeper story, and so we try to navigate those what those story turns could generate. Maybe they generate like a good villain or a bad guy, or a funny character so or funny situation. So it's really just trying to you know, stimulate our creative energy to kind of go down these separate roads.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just I'm glad you explained that, because I don't think people understand how much work it takes to make something back. They just they don't. Oh, let's just come up with an idea. And but I do also want to get into some of your other experiences as well with Sandler, and that's coming up next. Chris Pappus is our guest as we continue to talk about Boston guys who have made a big in Hollywood. Walton Goggins is another guy I want to cover two because I think he's been a breakout star since The Gemstones. That's all coming up next here on WBZ.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 5: This is a family business. Daddy's faculties are waning. The next logical leaders would be Ambury myself.
Speaker 2: Oh not the only married people in this family. Me and Bija are also strongly betrothed. Not a real family, no kids, flag them. I like that one. I don't got time for kids because I'm trying to keep this fresh physique.
Speaker 1: Fine, I'm not trying to be all loose and stretched out like Amber's played.
Speaker 2: Out for Strowming. This is a house that's jack y'all, remember the silence. Jesse and I are blessed to be teaming up with Lyle and Lindy Listens on a new business.
Speaker 1: Venture, Zion's Lands, a Christian timeshare resort on sunny beaches of floor.
Speaker 4: We got to align ourselves with the best, I mean, only pure thoroughbreds.
Speaker 5: That's exactly how we see, y'all, too powerful Christian horses type folks.
Speaker 4: Is junior in mine from Memphis.
Speaker 5: This hot piece of tale.
Speaker 2: That's my daughter Judy.
Speaker 1: Oh excuse me, and it's one of our girlfriends.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not a lesbian partner. I'm her husband, b J.
Speaker 4: There's something else y'all should be aware of.
Speaker 2: A reporter is in our backyard. I'm doing a piece on your family. Do you think I have a tussled with the press before? Well, story I got isn't. I'm you don't answer which one in my family or you after?
Speaker 4: Who are you trying to smear?
Speaker 2: We are in this reporters cross heres. There you go. The Gemstones love it on HBO. Chris Pappers, a writer and producer on the program, is joining us here. Also a local guy that's done great as we continue our series of talking to local people in Hollywood by do you know Chris Bauer at all? From heels? Chris?
Speaker 4: I don't know Chris Bower.
Speaker 2: He's coming on tomorrow night at nine o'clock. I had O'Malley on, so Mally came on and I said, when I took this gig, I said, I'm feeling for Ray. I want to talk to the people I want to talk to. So that's what I'm doing. So Bower's coming on tomorrow night and I which I can't wait for because I loved him well.
Speaker 4: Speaking of sorry, I was speaking of O'Malley before Boston Connections. Uh, I was actually watched the Super Bowl at O'Malley's house when Welker dropped that ball. Caught it should have caught it, should have caught it. Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a tough one to take. I was actually at that one. Yeah, that was that was a tough that was. It was even tough for being here in perfect person, Pappy, I'll tell you that. Let's talk about Walton Goggins. Now, I know he was on Vice Principal, Vice Principal, but now he's kind of blowing up a little bit after the Gemstones and he's done some serious work as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's done Falling and he got nominated you know a bunch for that and that series. You know, it's based off the video game. I think it's on Amazon Prime. And and then he's just you know, he went he actually got to town here in Charleston about I don't know, three weeks ago, and he was in Thailand shooting White Lotus three. Yeah, he's right, yeah, he's not slowing down.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: That's a busy man right there. So but he's obviously you know, well.
Speaker 2: Risen, Pappy, I mean, Chris, you've worked with God. I mean you got Sandler Danny, I mean Goggins, John Goodman, we mentioned Edie Patterson, Adam Devine, U you've met with You've worked with some great actors. What is it? What is the key? What what makes it? What? What makes it work for them?
Speaker 4: I mean for the actors in general, like the actors.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean you've worked with some really heavy hitters. I mean even Sandlert, you know, like like U be Halloween. You made a lot of money. Good for you and you know, kids love it. But like you know, I'm him riding the bike. It's not my thing, but you know, I'm a grown man.
Speaker 4: Well, I produced that. I did not write that. Adam wrote that.
Speaker 2: He wrote I thought you wrote the I.
Speaker 4: Did, yes, and so wrote the treatment. But I didn't write the whole story, okay, you know. And but that was an Adam thing. He just was like, hey, you know, can he do you mind if I write this one of them? You know, my partner I want to. He writes these movies with Hurly. He a lot and uh, you know I've written a few for him as well, and so I would say, you know, one of the things is if there's common denominators, like what you're trying to get at with you know, all these people from what I see, the successful ones like yeah, guys like Danny, guys like Adam, they can really write, they can really direct, and they can act, and so it's really, you know, pretty impressive to you know, be a part of that and see that and just and they're also like workhorses. You know, I work hard, but I don't work nearly as hard as Danny or Adam Sandler, you know what I mean. Those guys just are relentless, And when you work with them, it's almost kind of like I'm like the out of shape guy having to like keep up with the guy who's in shape running like a twenty mile marathon, right, you know what I mean, Like, you know, like you're going to be sore the next day, you know what I mean. So when you work with them, you have to be ready. You know, you really kind of have to make sure you're kind of locked in and understand it's a seven day a week job. When you're kind of especially when you're locking into either a movie with a start date or you know, obviously with a shooting date for television, it's the same thing.
Speaker 2: What about a guy like John Goodman, who's like Hall of Fame, you just go down that list from I mean the movies I mean are incredible.
Speaker 4: I mean yeah, i mean he's just you know, I mean he's just a classic. I mean he's a pro too write. I mean he you know, that guy just rolls rolls in. He knows kind of what to do, how to turn it on. He's been doing it so long. I mean, you know he was an originally a stand up guy and he was and yeah.
Speaker 2: No, no, he was a stand up comedian.
Speaker 4: Yeah he was. Yah, yeah Goodman. My buddy who I met out here who was part of the improv, he was Bud Freeman steps On. He was telling me stories like he used to tell me stories where John Goodman would. He'd be like getting up to go to high school, like he grew up and went to Beverly Hills High. He just get up and like get a cereal and look down and there's like John Goodman just you know, passed out on his sofa. You know, we like a lot of stuff on that coffee table.
Speaker 2: I'm sure a lot of sugar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of sugar, a lot of pepper, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, But a guy like Sandler, who you've worked very closely with, who you know the Due Over, which was a script that you wrote, Kevin wrote that he did with with Spade and so forth. But like when I see Sandler turn it like with the Myriad Stories or Uncut Gems, you know, that's where he really blows me away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I mean, you know again, it's I think it's just, you know, it's just when you've been the business for as long as some of these people have, you know, you want to try and you want to try to do new things to keep it fresh. And that would be my kind of educated guest on like how they're able to do it and do it so successfully, is that you know when you've crushed it, like let's say Sandler, you know, young Sandler and Billy Madison days probably could not do Uncut Gems right away, right right right, But as you you know, as you once you have, you have goals that you accomplish, and you know, and he's a workaholic. I mean, you know, if you look at like Sandler's body of work, He's produced sitcoms that have been hugely successful, like Goldberg's and the one that Spade was in. Those things ran years and years. He's done Hotel Transylvania movie, like those you know, that whole franchise, animated comedies, he's done. I mean, he's done everything, really and so I think it's really just like a Adams, like one of those people who you know, he'll look at like an instrument and just be like, I'm going to learn to play that, and he just can. He's just one of those guys that he's just a determined dude, you know, in a New Hampshire guy, you know. So yeah, yeah, you know, but he's a good and he's just kind of a cool dude. Like he's like really nice and really welcoming, and you know.
Speaker 2: Similarities between he and Danny.
Speaker 4: Workaholics, you know, but not like they're not you know, not over the top, but like you know, they just really really care, you know, and they're really and they're not settled. They don't want to settle for stuff, you know. And I would say that just and they probably kind of knew what they wanted to do when they were really really young, you know, and I just feel like they just had that itch and they scratched it at a really young age and they were pretty driven and pretty focused and uh and they just got good at whatever they did. You know McBride, you know the fact that he didn't really set out to be an actor. He just loved movies. Right.
Speaker 2: He's a camera guy.
Speaker 4: It's a camera guy. He was an editor. I played basketball with a guy who hired Danny who Danny was like an editor. You know when he first came out to lay, Danny was you know, he was he was. He had a lot of different jobs like that and so but he was just relentless and you know, and then these guys want to kind of do their own thing. And so that's the other thing is they get to that point they do their own thing and they never looked back.
Speaker 2: Well also, I should know this the oh God his first movie that Jody Jody Hill has part of. They went to North Carolina and made it the Karate Movie. Anyways, it was yes, yeah, but Danny, they just needed a guy, I mean Danny, they needed a guy to play the role. And he said, okay, I'll do it. You know it was it was that thirty five thousand dollars budget. We can't afford anybody, so you do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then you know he he does that he gets noticed for it. And then Will Ferrell, you know, he kind of you know, took him in and really, you know, gave Danny the confidence that he needed, just like you know for me on a much much, much smaller scale like the Fairly Brothers.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I know, Pete and Bobby were very good to.
Speaker 4: You absolutely and still are. They're just great dudes, you know what I mean. And and they just keep going and going to you know what I mean, Pete winning Oscars and you know, doing movie after movie and Bobby too. Now, so you know it's you know, it's been a lot of like a kind of a fun ride and fun to watch all these guys and just because you know him, you know, kind of win well.
Speaker 2: I mean, Green Book was great and it just showed you know, how talented the guy is. Any any you know, Pete could do more than look something about Mary was legendary, but you know he could do more than that.
Speaker 4: Again, but there goes to show you, right, the same thing that we just talked about Pete Fairley doing you know, comedies because he's killing them right right, and then he can pivot. You know, you get older, you you know, you want more challenges you know, that was a pretty big challenge to do that movie, and uh, you know he pulled it off, you know, because he's relentless. You know.
Speaker 2: All Right, we have to find out what's coming up next for Chris pappas the Pride about Gnquain High School, and we're gonna do this. We wrap things up next right here on WBC's Night Side. Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio. It's done. Figure out your lives.
Speaker 4: You're scared. Your kids gonna bloat pretty much. Yeah, you so hel bent on running this church the way you did it did The only problem is you ain't you?
Speaker 1: Daddy?
Speaker 4: Just thine facts is the party, our ministry.
Speaker 2: It was the receipt over two hundred medium donas h heady baptoos. I'm scared, Jesse, what if we don't have what it takes.
Speaker 4: We just have to refuse to fail. I'm going to do that together.
Speaker 2: Do we have to include you even that much? These are the brothers Tomorrow's Fire.
Speaker 5: This is a militia Jemstones and Montgommery oil and Vinegaren fire and I will the end.
Speaker 2: Of times called? Are we to believe that these bony Bakers will be called to the Kingdom of Heaven. The Resurrection Boy, restore the kingdom.
Speaker 5: The road we have been traveling on has been bumpy as of late.
Speaker 1: Somebody needs to make sure everything's gonna turn out.
Speaker 4: Okay, we'll get killed a promise.
Speaker 2: We will try to avenge. You take care of my wife and kids. Say what what's up? Yeah, I feel like your kids are old enough.
Speaker 4: I mean it's a big ask, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: We don't know what our schedules are.
Speaker 2: The Jemstones eighty Patterson, they're playing Judy Chris Pappis with us writer and producer from the Jamstones, local guy making good. How much I had living on the Gemstones is there?
Speaker 4: Well, we stick to the page because you know, we spend a lot of time on those scripts. That being said, I mean, you can't help but to ad lib, you know, especially you know you have Divine and Eadie Danny in a room together, so you know, there's definitely some singers, you know, you know when we go when they go to shoot, I pivot out with Kevin who I write with, and uh, you know, we go and do other works like you know, movies and other stuff and uh, and then it's a lot of fun because then we get to see fresh rough cuts and we can tell I could tell in two seconds the ad libs. You know what I mean, right, And it's a lot of fun, you know what I mean to see those and to you know, talk to you know McBride and you know, see what was in his head when he went and you know, pivoted or did did like a little change and you know, it's it's good to separate yourself, you know, from that process too.
Speaker 2: When we had Nashville New Hampshire's Michael Maley on, I did not realize that he didn't really make it, he said until he was thirty two, when he did the O'Malley Show. He was thirty two. I said, I thought you were like a kid. So how many scripts have you?
Speaker 4: Do?
Speaker 2: You know how many scripts you've you've written? Total?
Speaker 4: I have no idea how many scripts? Like that's a lot. Put it that way, one hundred, I would say, yeah, probably, Like if you're talking TV and you're talking, I would say definitely. If you're talking like you know, when we write on Gemstones, we write a lot of scripts that you know everyone does. Danny, you know, we write a lot of times we just try and we'll write a script and like, you know, two days just to kind of throw it down.
Speaker 2: Well, I think if you are a Gemstones, it has to be a hundred. I'm just curious like the ones that didn't make it. See that's again, you know, if.
Speaker 4: You're talking about like you know, you're talking a long time, so you're talking, you know, I guess I got to tally up the years here. So I've been in the let's see w Jason's what two thousand and two something like that, so twenty two years and then ten years of writing before that. You know, I'm writing probably you know, two or three scripts a year. So yeah, it's definitely over one hundred. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And and the thing that people don't realize is how many don't make it? You know most of them?
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot. Well, you know, the ratio is when when I came out to LA, they're kind of like, no matter who you are, it's really one out of every eleven scripts that the studios buy, right, they will make okay. And they were kind of like, you don't want to be the guy who's oh for ten and I was kind of I was getting close. Gary, I was kind of a guy who was like, oh for nine and then uh and then you know, we got lucky with or with Unhitched, and that was kind of the first one to get made, and the it just it actually turned into a whole show. It wasn't just even a movie. And so that was great, even though we had done like you know, punch Up and stuff that did get made, that did get made, but like but the real you know, the the solid credit really wasn't until then and then uh but yeah, so it's uh, it's you know, it's you really have to be uh determined. Well.
Speaker 2: The thing that I know, I know that Chris Pappas route was eight AM hits. We start writing, yeah, right, we write, and then you're I mean that's it. I mean you've got to write like six hours a day.
Speaker 4: It is. You know, it changes though when you have kids, because that rule. You know, it's like when you have kids, suddenly it's kind of like, oh, I'm gonna be up late tonight rule.
Speaker 6: Right right right, you get to do it, yeah exactly, So you know, it just is what it is a lot of times, just to change stuff up, I'll go away, I'll just check out and you know, rent just a house for like two or three days, and Kevin and I who I you.
Speaker 4: Know who I write with, will just hole up and just write, you know, around the clock for three days so we're not interrupted if we have to get to a deadline.
Speaker 2: You know, you still pulling that scam.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm still pulling that scam.
Speaker 2: Just buying it.
Speaker 4: It might be a beach house sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but this is you know, when you were going, I go, what are you doing to you know, Kevin and I were going, we got a house in Palm Springs, I go doing it's a work week, yeah, okay, yeah, all right, okay, good job.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's been great talking to you. We got to wrap it up.
Speaker 4: Due time flies, I know, dude, Well, I love you and I really appreciate everything. And uh and I hope to see you soon. Man.
Speaker 2: All right, Chris Pappusunquin High School, as we consider you our series of Boston guys doing well in Hollywood. Pappy, We'll see you later, all right, brother, have a good night, take care and of course you can catch The Righteous Gemstones on HBO. You know, if you haven't watched it, just get Caught Up started season one and it's just hilarious. And the thing about it is is that, you know, I could have talked to Chris about the jemmer Stones all night, but I wanted to get some other stuff too. But there are so many great characters on there, like you, you know, you discover an Eddie Patterson and everybody knew you know, you knew about Adam Devine, obviously Daty McBride, but I really wasn't up on Walton Goggins. And this guy has come on and done amazing things on this show. But Tim Baltz is another actor who plays the husband of Edie Patterson, and he's kind of like the browbeatn type of husband type. He's hilarious in this show. So check it out if you're looking for something good to watch on TV. All right, final Hour coming up here, Gary Tangerine for Dan right here on WBZ. Things that are unassumingly condescending. Next, w Easy Boss's is Radio