Speaker 1: Two time, two time World Series champion, just a monster year. Last year led the Dodger bullpen in more ways than one. And this interview is three months in the making. I remember exactly where I was when I set up this interview in Dallas, Texas had Nick and Sam's Dodgers player relations Wanderrado was sitting across from me as I text Blake Trin about coming on the show as he signed his extension with the Dodgers. Blake, it's great to see.
Speaker 2: You Know.
Speaker 3: What most people don't understand here is that when you're a free agent, you like to be the one to tell your family first about you signing a deal. And Dave's the rat that told this slapstick in Houston.
Speaker 2: Oh you were in Dallas. How close is up to Houston?
Speaker 4: The guy was from Washington State.
Speaker 2: It wasn't. The guy was from Houston.
Speaker 3: Some dude from a sports reporter in Houston, which people in the sports world in Houston are slightly disrespected right now for good reason.
Speaker 1: Anyways, Well, can you you actually explain this to me again?
Speaker 4: Right o?
Speaker 2: Let go to mic Dave. So here's what's gonna you know. Here's not Dave.
Speaker 3: It's my show right now. So here's what's happening. Well, you gave it up. So Dave texts me and says, hey, word on the street is you're a Dodger again, and here's the specifics.
Speaker 2: I'm like, how that crap? Do you know that Dave?
Speaker 3: Well, apparently Dave in this I don't even know this dude's name in Houston were sitting also with one discussing specifics.
Speaker 2: Dave, it's my time to talk. I've got the microphone, I can talk, and so he's like, when can I get you on? And the rumor's true? And I was like, I.
Speaker 3: Don't want to find about Dave because I started to pass physical. Apparently the whole world knew before I knew, and so I told Dave that when it was official, I would get on the show with him. And then there was some random miscommunications that led us to spring. You can tell by his cynical la if that he knows I'm right he was the mole. So Dave, continue with your show.
Speaker 1: Number One, it's not my fault. People like to confide in me. Number two, Blake Trinon did not confide in me to give me that news. Number Three, I never tweeted any information out.
Speaker 3: That's just interesting that you knew Houston guy, Dave Guy. Now I find out three months later or however long it was that you were in the same state as this guy.
Speaker 1: I thought this guy was the kid that you were playing catch with during twenty twenty on your street from.
Speaker 2: Wahwa Tosa, Wawa, Tosa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for not actually saying where I live, Dave. I was that close to never doing your show again. Hey, yeah, I try.
Speaker 1: I love I love how you explained this to me, because I don't think we as media and also fans don't realize in the eagerness to break news, you want to break it to your teammates as well as your family.
Speaker 3: So the problem is, I've got, you know, blessed a lot of good people in my life. So I've got like hundreds of peop texting me like, hey, congrats, is it true?
Speaker 2: Is it true?
Speaker 3: And I'm like, well, if I feel my physical this is gonna be a weird conversation. And so everybody's asking these questions and I gotta tell everybody know it's not true, and then wait and then text everybody all over again and say, hey, it was true.
Speaker 2: So It's kind of like, you know, everybody wants to be the first look at me.
Speaker 3: Look what I did, I, you know, slap my fingers on a couple of digital icons on a phone, and I should get a pat on the back for being a great reporter. No, it's like, why don't you let the player have a chance to reveal it and to you know, their family and friends, And then I find someone like Dave because he's taking time to get to know me and be a friend, or so I thought, and then he could release it.
Speaker 4: I never released anything.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's what's so weird. Some dude in Houston.
Speaker 3: So somebody in the office knows this guy, and we need to get to the bottom of the day.
Speaker 4: I feel like he was from Pullman, Washington.
Speaker 3: Thirty two ounce tomahawk steak for you. If you figure out who the mole is?
Speaker 2: Are you? Are you willing to fess up right now?
Speaker 4: I am not the mole? How dare you?
Speaker 1: I'm insulted you would even say that, because I have another question. During your long winded answer right there, was that a humble brag when you said I have hundreds of friends? Are you saying that you're that beloved and we as mere mortals only have maybe a twenty person inner circle, but Blake Tryning has hundreds of friends.
Speaker 2: Are you ready to eat crop? Are you ready for this?
Speaker 3: I come from a big family, so first knock me on that. Secondly, I come from a small town and they are all big followers. As anybody does anything from a small town, you support them. So yes, hundreds, I would say, like probably close to two hundred people on any given day of something big happening, whether it's the World Series or the big signing.
Speaker 2: I do get text Dave hundreds.
Speaker 3: And it's funny that Dave tries to pull this out because his fifty followers. He's really jealous that I've got two hundred followers and he's got a sports show.
Speaker 2: How does La put you?
Speaker 3: How do you get to hold a Dodgers icon on this thing when you got fifty people listening right now, I'll have you my two hundred and fifty, two hundred and fifty people listening.
Speaker 1: Number One, you made me break the cardinal rule of giving up the mic. That's number one rule in broadcasting. Never give up the mic when you're doing Boise state play by play. Just remember that.
Speaker 3: I'm a jack Rabbit. So thank you. My wife was a voice to say Bronco. But I'm a South Dakota state jack rabbit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go back to the text hundreds of close personal friends of Blake Tryning when you won the World Series. When you won the World Series, how much did your phone light up when you got back to it after the celebration, Just the whole experience for you.
Speaker 3: I had over five hundred text messages and it took me three days to respond, and I was fried.
Speaker 2: But I did my best to respond to everybody.
Speaker 3: And the hard part is is, because you know, God puts a lot of good people in your life, you want to respond to everybody, and then they want to start asking questions about what it was like. And so then it's like, guys, just give me a couple of weeks and I'll talk as much as you want. I just I need to I need to kind of like calm down a little bit.
Speaker 2: So but it was great.
Speaker 3: It's really it's really kind of a cool thing to see that many people who are enjoying following your career, and uh, but it is.
Speaker 2: It was quite a bit afterwards to to.
Speaker 3: Get your mind reset and have some like, you know, mental clarity because it's it's winning World Series.
Speaker 2: Amazing. It's crazy you don't.
Speaker 3: Think about how much it zaps your energy after it's done, Like you don't really think about how much you're getting tired through it when as soon as that final pitch is done.
Speaker 2: I remember getting on the plane.
Speaker 3: I can barely walk and I was like mentally tired and felt like I had a hip replacement. It was just so weird, but uh, it was just it's just from like the extensive workload, you know, in that Game five, probably which I still felt good when I was pitching, but afterwards, I remember doing the parade and I was like getting my hip worked on.
Speaker 2: I'm like, were are the off season? I'm getting my hip worked on.
Speaker 4: So I I think back to that World Series.
Speaker 1: Obviously, Freddy's Grand Slam is a moment in time that will be forever remembered, but and I know there were a lot of great moments, but for me personally, the second moment that flashes into my mind is when Dave Roberts came to the mound in Game five and Freddie Freeman believed in you. Dave Roberts believed in you, and you believed in yourself. Do you remember that moment or is that one of those blackout type of things where you're in the miro.
Speaker 3: And I, you know, I've not really had a lot of the time to talk to Dave about it, you know, like he's he's right and coming out right there. But I remember seeing him in a moment like, frick, Dave, like, what are you doing out here?
Speaker 2: Like I gotta know.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to like pitch around him a little bit because Stanton's a better matchup even though he's on fire. I just use my strength. It's a better matchup if I executed. And when he came out, he's like he gave me like the hands. I was like, hey, calm down, I just want to talk and I haven't made my mind up yet. So he comes out and talks to me, and then.
Speaker 2: We were good to go.
Speaker 3: And then Freddie Thing came into play after the first pitch to Stanton because I go to third base, so Stam pops up to right field Mookie MOOKI grabs a ball, throws it into third to the lead base. I'm looking at Max, like Max, give me the ball, and Max throws me at the ball. And I just walked to the mount and I'm like, if he was willing to put me in for more batter, then one pitch is in the issue, Like it's gotta be He's gotta be thinking that it could have been a five or six pitch at bat. So I got four or five pitches here to make this one happen. And I just got on the mount and I didn't see him coming out on my peripherals, and I was like, yes, because I wanted to make sure that I did my part to clean up the ending as best as I could and give the next guy whoever was coming in and know it's gonna be Walker, I thought was gonna be hohtti a clean inning to finish the game instead of a one plus and uh finding out afterwards that Dave was kind of on the top step trying to figure out if he wanted to and Freddy gave the hands down and.
Speaker 2: Like, hey, back off, like I think you know the best move here is. But that means that that means a lot to me.
Speaker 3: That my my my stat like my coaching staff and manager and my teammates, you know, still thought that I was the right guy because I believe I was for that moment, and but it means more when you know that they think the same thing of you.
Speaker 1: So how did this offseason feel compared to when you wanted in twenty Obviously the world is a lot different, but you finally got to experience a parade in LA You got to experience everything that comes with winning the World Series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was great. It was really cool.
Speaker 3: You know, I think you get recognized more, which is you know, like a blessing an a curse, right, It's like, yeah, sometimes you just want to blend in and just be with the people without being.
Speaker 2: Recognized a little bit.
Speaker 3: But at the end of the day, it's like, it's pretty cool to see how many people cherish that World Series in the LA area, even I mean nationally globally.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter where I'm at right now. I walk around and people are like, oh, like, congrats on the World Series.
Speaker 3: Remember going to a Boise State football game to go watch Ashton genty because I had to go see him in person, And I walking up the steps and I had like five or six people just yo, congrats Champ, Congrats Worlds. I'm like, the hell I thought my buddies were playing a prank on me, Like, I'm not used to being recognized in public, but I mean I easily ten fifteen times at that game, and it's not even like a baseball town, so it's kind of nuts to me. But yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's been a little bit different.
Speaker 3: The worst part probably about it all was seeing my contract release before.
Speaker 2: Before I got to do anything about it.
Speaker 4: That guy in Houston, Yeah, some random blake trying in source.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on a zoom call with a guy in Dallas. It was weird.
Speaker 1: Weird, right, really weird. I was enjoying my steak dinner. I didn't want that to pop up. I started getting my phone buzzed. Then I sent you the screenshot of the tweet.
Speaker 3: Well, I've heard from a lot of people. Yeah, my last one was fine, Dave. Before we started talking, we start talking, all of a sudden, you start leaking. You know what, I know, Brandon Gums is around here somewhere, and I'll make a phone call to free Friedman.
Speaker 1: So I was gonna compliment you before we back out of here. The last time I saw you the you know obviously you know the world. Yes, I'm going to compliment you right now.
Speaker 2: This is good.
Speaker 3: You're trying to smooth things over. You see these people. This is how you get the foot out of the mouth.
Speaker 1: This is the great Blake trying and spin. He couldn't confide in his favorite media member.
Speaker 2: Didn't have to You already had it. How can I confide if you already have the information I was.
Speaker 4: I was relaying to you what was out there publicly.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do a do you have a Twitter? Yeah? All right, do a Twitter? Fan pool was Dave the Mole.
Speaker 1: I have a radio show and people are going to listen to this and they won't respond.
Speaker 2: I need I need a poll. Somebody put a pole up is Dave the Mole? Yes or no? And we'll let the people decide.
Speaker 1: I want you to come in studio and take a phone calls, or I could come to your bungalow here in Arizona.
Speaker 2: Yeah I don't have a bungalow.
Speaker 3: Yeah sure, If we can work out a day for the studio and take phone calls, well we'll just we'll do a roast Dave on on on air, Like anytime that you guys all these years, you guys have listened to Dave. If you've been you know, kept your sanity enough over the last like, however many years have been able to follow him? For?
Speaker 2: How long you've been doing this?
Speaker 4: This is my fourteenth season.
Speaker 2: I wonder know.
Speaker 3: How many people have followed for more than three straight? That's what I want to know.
Speaker 2: Who's the diehards?
Speaker 4: So many? So many?
Speaker 2: You look, this will be good, this will be good. We get on the phone. I want to hear the best and the worst of Dave.
Speaker 4: What you'll be on a headset.
Speaker 2: I don't I've ever been in a studio. It's like it's like you're saying, Oh, you threw a good pitch. Yeah, it's called a fastball.
Speaker 4: Damn, Keyk's back.
Speaker 2: To knows Hey, key K, you think he's a mole? Do you think he's a mole?
Speaker 3: Somebody liked to my contract before before I got to tell my family.
Speaker 2: Guess who was in Dallas.
Speaker 1: It's some guy in uh while with Tosa, like three months before.
Speaker 3: Damn, dang, dude, dang.
Speaker 2: He's got them people. He's just laughing through the pain.
Speaker 4: Who brought who decided to bring back key I.
Speaker 3: Mean together he and I have won two World Series.
Speaker 1: With the Dodgers's right, the trifecta. How many of you month see Blake Tryning, kek Hernandez World.
Speaker 3: The only world series that the daughters have been to since I've been here, have been with me and Keyky, and we've won.
Speaker 2: Of just saying MOOKI as well, MOOKI. Also, I can't I can't leave muk out. That's fair.
Speaker 4: You look refreshed.
Speaker 2: I think it just burnt all my energy out right now.
Speaker 1: Gosh, I just boosted the morale of the Dodgers anchor of the bullpen. This will get you through at least the next three days.
Speaker 2: We paid seventy two for an anchor.
Speaker 1: He loves David Vasse already. By the way, Yeah, you should be nervous.
Speaker 2: You guys are two peas in a pod. Two peas in a pod deflectors.
Speaker 4: That's not true at all. I feel like I'm being a cuth.
Speaker 2: You ain't cal him down, David.
Speaker 3: Hey, I think the people are ready for this show to end. Okay, and we'll pick up for the next one.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is just one segment. I still have a lot of show left.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, who's the next guy?
Speaker 1: Well, we'll recap the Buffalo. No, I'm gonna talk to the fans now. This is you're the centerpiece of the show.
Speaker 3: All right, well, just so you know, you'll never wear my glove, but I got to hold your microphone.
Speaker 1: Damn, I can't wait to get a nice pearl baseball. It says two time World Series champion Blake trying it.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna sign up till I retire, so hopefully. It says four times, Oh, I love it, that'd be cool. Why why what?
Speaker 3: You don't try to make it sound like it's a bar to anybody else.
Speaker 4: Like you said, that's special to me.
Speaker 2: Thank you? All right, have a good one day.
Speaker 3: I feel like, man, this is like this is like people who don't know how to say goodbye, sorry Pa, over and.
Speaker 4: Out, over and out. Thank you, Blake.
Speaker 2: I'll be that