Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Taylors of Tech podcast with your host Mike. Hello, how's it going. You might notice that for those that are watching the video, there is no video portion of the podcast this week, and that's because I'm here with a guest. And the guest I have today is a special one one that I hold in high esteem and that I care about a lot, My wife, Carrie. How's it going? Hey, everybody, Carrie hasn't really been on many podcasts or really much recording, because I think you're maybe on the TV once or twice, but otherwise this is sort of new to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think this is my first podcast ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Unfortunately, Drew and Randy were busy this week, so you've got me and Carrie for this one. And so I thought that we would maybe talk about some technology that we've gone through in our lives, kind of growing up in the early or mid nineties and seeing how things have progressed, but mainly kind of working our way up to today and what we use in technology, because well, it's kind of interesting hearing what other people have used, what they've been exposed to, what kind of phones that they grew up with, what was their favorite phone and all that, So that'd be somewhat simple and easy for you, since you're not really the biggest tech guru that I know around.
Speaker 2: I am not the biggest tech guru. This is true. You are the tech guru of the two of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you remember the first technology or piece of technology that you ever interacted with?
Speaker 2: Well, we had a regular TV growing.
Speaker 3: Up, was a regular TV, so we my parents had a box TV. It was ginormous and heavy and it had this huge TV stand that it set in. Quality was terrible, but as kids, it was pretty. It seemed big and was cool. And then my parents had a computer, but it was one of the old monitors, so it was this giant cube. And then the computer itself was like I don't know, it must have been like a foot and a half by like tall by six inches wide and.
Speaker 2: More than that, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It was like it was big, a big, chunky CRT Dell monitor or something like that.
Speaker 3: Well, there was the monitor and then there was like the computer itself. Either way, both of them were way.
Speaker 2: They were both huge.
Speaker 1: It was very beige.
Speaker 2: It was beige.
Speaker 3: It was like a beige white color and collected dust really easily. Because the top of it had little air holes to ventilate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not really the best idea putting air holes on the top, especially in a dusty environment where things could just get into there and cause issues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it always did because it was stuffed into the desk that we had, which the desk had kind of this top tier thing, so it wasn't very reachable and so there was like dust collection and things like that.
Speaker 1: Top tier being like a shelf or an overhang or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, kind of like a shelving unit that it sat in with a desk.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it sounds like a lot of boxy stuff at the beginning of your life that you remember a.
Speaker 2: Lot of boxy stuff.
Speaker 3: And when the internet would go out, we'd have that traditional dial up that would.
Speaker 1: Ring through the house, the whole entire house pretty much.
Speaker 2: You could hear it.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was loud.
Speaker 1: So did you have a separate line or was it just one line that you would disconnect from the phone into the computer or.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably not something you'd remember entirely. Yeah, it's probably something your parents remember very vividly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably they probably remember, but I can't I was too young, sure.
Speaker 1: And I guess you didn't really watch too much TV on that big television, or.
Speaker 2: We did not because we had bunny ears.
Speaker 1: For for those that don't know what bunny ears are in some of maybe those old classic cartoons or anything else. The almost like what you see on old cars on the road today, it's pretty much two antennas either kind of like a stick slash probe or even in some case it looks like bunny ears. It's a looped piece of metal, two loops of metal, and you would adjust them to try to get a signal out to whatever towers or satellites or anything else that's trying to communicate with to get a signal to the display in which did you have just the sticks or did you have actual loops?
Speaker 2: It was just the sticks, okay, And.
Speaker 3: I think we got about four channels. Four channels, so we did not have cable TV. We just stuck with the bunny ears, which my parents still have only four channels today.
Speaker 2: They don't currently have cable What.
Speaker 1: Years it again, twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: They do streaming, They do streaming, but they.
Speaker 1: They have internet now, they.
Speaker 3: Have internet, but they still only get I think for maybe five channels and.
Speaker 1: Jeez, yeah, I remember the last time I went to your parents and they just got that new Internet And it's like that direct line of site type of system where it's pretty much a dish that you have set up by someone or you can set up, and then you are either instructed or the person who's installing it figures out what direction the tower is that this company owns or is using. Yeah, and you point as much as you can directly, hopefully there's no trees in the way to that tower, and so then that way, it's a direct line of site quote unquote signal that allows you to have this wireless internet system without having to take cables all the way down long swaths of roadway or forests or anything else and pay that much just to give someone an Internet connection. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And for reference, my parents do live somewhat in the middle of nowhere, so that's a good.
Speaker 2: Option for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much. Yeah, And I guess why I brit it up as interesting comparing that to what we were using at the time, being starlink, where it was kind of the same idea of it's a line of sight scenario, but instead of trying to connect to a tower, not like maybe a mile or two away. It's now trying to beam up a signal from space. Did you like our starlink? I guess a little tangent.
Speaker 2: I which which one?
Speaker 1: Which the one that we have at home.
Speaker 3: I like it, but it was kind of slow for some of the things that you use it for. But it seemed to do like pretty decent with streaming, which I think is a majority of what you and I probably use it for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, typically we sit on the couch in the evenings and watch whatever.
Speaker 3: That and just having our phones connected to it so we're able to have service.
Speaker 1: Right. We've had a couple of repair guys out recently, and each time that they come out they say, there's not really any signal out here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I gets slightly disgruntled, and then we pretty much just have to echo the same thing that you just said is, Yeah, that's why we got the internet so we can stay connected still, which seems like our our lives are very much connected to the Internet. It almost seems like it's a public utility now instead of novelty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it would still like it because it's not It wasn't fiber. If the power went out and we could still use the internet like with with alternate means.
Speaker 1: But right it was no longer uh we're not. When we had startlink, it wasn't dependent on two systems that are wire based. Yeah, one was Internet or I guess dish base, and it just needed power while the power needed well a connection pretty much.
Speaker 3: But I mean it was slow doing certain things, but seemed to work decently.
Speaker 2: The downside I think for us is the trees.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have a couple of trees on our property that tend to be a little bit of an issue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that I think that line of sight made it a little bit difficult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't really work for everyone, right, Yeah, for those that either are in cities for some reason that need starlink but there's adjacent buildings there in the way, or I guess I think trees is probably a better example. Is especially those that are either in the suburbs or maybe not even in the suburbs, kind of out in the sticks, but there's still either some heritage trees or just trying to get approval to get trees removed in some of these sticky situations can be an issue. But you need internet or at least you want internet that provides better speeds, right, But in many other people's cases, those that don't live in the desert, they have to deal with foliage or at least if you're living right by a mountain or just some weird complex topography, just how much line of sight or skyview the Starlin kaz.
Speaker 2: The other thing was the setup for it.
Speaker 3: Trying to find a place on the roof that we could put it where it would be able to see, and then taking the line from outside and bringing it inside to the router was kind of a hassle.
Speaker 1: That is the complicated part, trying to get the outside things in without cutting holes too large or through already openable orifices in the house like windows or doors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think what we.
Speaker 3: Did worked probably best because we didn't have to drill any holes into No.
Speaker 1: There was actually some stuff that was already utilized in our house. I guess the previous tenant had a dish like for dish TV, and so we're able to utilize a lot of the holes that they already drilled. Yeah, and just PLoP in the Starlink cable, which was a little bit bigger. At least on the end, Starling didn't really make it easy for the end to get through these holes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the plug was larger, like, yeah, the head of it or whatever.
Speaker 1: So you'd make the hole big enough just to put the plug through, and then the rest of the wires like, oh, you can put two of these wires in this hole. Yeah, kind of an annoyance. I think Drew had the same issue when they started with the Gen one starlink dish. The plugs you had to pretty much drill out a hole that was big enough for those plugs. I think on the Gen ones it was even a bigger plug.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think that, like the mounting was difficult for us because we ended up not actually mounting it to the roof.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We just let it sit on there and then put some sandbags on it, hoping it would slide off.
Speaker 2: On its legs. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, not on the dishpart. Yeah, that'd be a little bit hard for it to get a signal.
Speaker 2: There just wasn't a good place.
Speaker 3: That was part of the placement problem was there wasn't a good place for us to put it where it had the line of sight and it could be propped up with.
Speaker 1: Some sort of mount Yeah. So I guess maybe I guess we'll continue on this conversational tangent that we're on. What do you think of our fiber in it that we have now?
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 3: It didn't really change anything for me personally because I don't use I really don't use that much internet, so that was nice. What was also nice is if they installed everything. Like with starlink, we had to install all the you know, the wires and cables and different things, but with the fiber, they came out and installed it, which was nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was nice not being the installer this time, not having to do all that work and do all the research and figure it all out in troubleshoot. It just coming from a company that I guess we are used before for cable, right, it's quite easy just to well, the connection was alri pretty much. Well it wasn't already there, but they they already had a line coming here before, so it's easy for them just to follow that same path that they had to our house.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I think for you it's been hugely beneficial to have the fiber versus the starlink.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It makes podcasts like this possible. Though I guess this one's not video based, so it'll go up a bit quicker with whatever I put on for video watchers, but for audio listeners it was never really an issue in the first place. Those would usually upload pretty quickly. But yeah, I do appreciate the fiber a lot more, even for trying to game online. Sometimes with my buddy, we would play Halo and all that with starlink and he would tell me I'd glitch around a bunch, But now I don't really glitch around. Instead. Well, I guess the servers sometimes have issues, but otherwise it's not my connection, which is great. It's nice not having that barrier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it makes it a lot easier.
Speaker 1: Agreed. So going back to your time with technology, So you remember the first devices that you had, being a big square TV and a big beige motter with holes on the top and all that. What was the first technology that I guess you owned for yourself. I guess that'd maybe be an iPod or a phone or something like that.
Speaker 2: No, so I had a DS.
Speaker 1: A Nintendo DS. Yes, okay, I don't think I know about this.
Speaker 2: I didn't use it a ton, but it was the one. I don't even know what it was. You flip it open, it has a screen on the top.
Speaker 1: In the bottom that's Nintendo DS. Was it silver? Yeah, okay, well, I guess there's silver, blue, and I think pink at the time, maybe, but it.
Speaker 3: Was silver, And I think I had like a handful of games and a carrying case for it.
Speaker 1: Is there a specific game that you'd play on it?
Speaker 2: There was Is It Treasure Planet? That movie? That cartoon It came out like probably twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: Well, don't make me feel too old. I mean, I guess us too old, but even so so, there's a.
Speaker 2: Is It Treasure Planet? I think? Is the movie?
Speaker 1: I'm sure? Yeah, the guy that kind of has the middle part in his hair, right, it's brown, and then there's like some captain with a big arm and then some pink goo thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, there was a game for that movie, and I think I played that one probably the most. I think there were some other ones, but I don't remember what they were, so I probably didn't play them very much.
Speaker 1: Okay, but that was the first piece of technology that you owned that you remember carrying around or at least having in your possession.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and I played it, you know a little bit, but I don't think I was ever super attached to it, like I had to have it or I played it every day.
Speaker 2: It was just kind of like, I don't know, I wasn't.
Speaker 1: As into it. Ah. Yeah, that's where we differ. I was very much attached to the hip with every single thing. When I got my game Boy, it was just it was amazing with the idea that I can take this around with me. Though I don't think I took it to like grocery stores when my mom took me to grocery stores for grocery shopping. But I do remember just the the wonder of the fact that I could take this device or wherever. I guess mainly where i'd play it is in the car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely could see you being attached to your technology even at that age.
Speaker 1: It's yeah. I think the first piece of technology I remember interacting with is my mom's old G three Mac kind of like if you remember, we had the upgraded quote unquote upgrade, the next gen version of the iMac, the green one that I bought yep and gave that to Mom as a second home gift, and all that second home gift being she was wanting a new Mac and I wanted to replace the iMac because I wanted something a little bit nicer and newer, and so second home being it's got its new second life, right, second owner and all that. What am I getting out with this? But yeah, the G three iMac, the original one, and I remember mom having one. I think it was blue. I remember interacting with that as I think my first piece of tech like TV existed, right, but something that you actually do in put an output with the computer was definitely that thing in our lives. But yeah, I think I I was attached to my DS, but I don't think it was. I don't think it was the first device they had on me. But okay, so when did you get your first phone then, and what phone was that? Did you start with a flip.
Speaker 2: Phone or so?
Speaker 3: My first phone was a flip phone. It did not have a camera on it, okay, and you had to buy minutes for it. Oh it's one of those phones. Well one of those plans, one of those plans. So you had like a certain you know, certain amount of calls and text you could send, and of course, because it's a flip phone, you're texting would be like three clicks, one click, three clicks to get to whatever letter you wanted, and it took forever to write out what you were saying. But I didn't have very many people I was texting at that time because it wasn't it wasn't really a thing that people did yet.
Speaker 1: Well, you didn't really have like that much of a social life, right, Yeah, I mean you had your friends at school, but maybe not all of them had cell phones. And also the world wasn't really surrounded by this much technology fitting in your pocket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was the phone that I got was like my aunt's leftover phone that was you know, it wasn't like a brand new phone that I got. It was like a hand me down phone, and I was just happy to have some form of a phone because it was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: So I think it was like blue and silver. I don't know what brand it was.
Speaker 1: Was it kind of traditional where you had the single thick hinge on the top and then you'd flip it open with your thumb pretty much.
Speaker 3: But it was small, I mean as far as like something handheld goes.
Speaker 2: It was just just any bitty Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure wasn't huge. Yeah, things didn't really get too big at that point yet. But I guess we worked from this is a little bit past our time. I think original cell phones that had a whole entire satchel, yeah, that you would wear on your side, very big piece of technology, and they finally got it eventually to a miniature size for the consumer, but still had a decent amount of battery life and uh, just feasibility for whatever use cases that you had, which is pretty much. It wasn't even texting was like, that wasn't the focus at the time. It was being able to call someone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then I think at that time too, like you know, my mom had kind of like a similar, you know, flip phone, but hers had a camera, and.
Speaker 1: So was that something that you really wanted after seeing what your mom had and what you had?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 3: Really it wasn't like, oh man, I have to have the phone, but I will be honest, I really did want a camera on the phone just so I could take pictures of like I don't even know, just random things like our pets or like a plant, which you know, those picture qualities were awful, you know, the camera quality was just terrible.
Speaker 1: I'd say, yeah, you gotta give a little credit to those little things.
Speaker 3: I mean, for the time being, it was really impressive, but they were just highly pixelated and they took forever to load.
Speaker 2: Once you got what either you sent or got a photo, it.
Speaker 1: Have the little like line by line and or the loading loading circle.
Speaker 3: And then of course if you ever sent a picture that seemed to like take up extra minutes, if.
Speaker 2: You were on that type of plan.
Speaker 1: Jeez, yeah, I forgot about that. Phones not having cameras. Yeah, that's kind of a requirement these days with a lot of our phones is does does it have a camera?
Speaker 3: I think all modern phones have cameras, right for most smartphones, Yeah, unless you have one of those like dumb phone. Really yeah, I don't want to say dumb phone, but like, well it is like are the really simplistic ones that have like the you know, just regular buttons.
Speaker 1: And I think the name dumb phone isn't uh. I don't think it's derogatory or meant in vain. I think it's mainly meant to distinguish it between what we call these days smartphones. We don't really call things. I guess we still call things phones, but there is that phone versus smartphone delineation that kind of has melded together at this point, and so to delineate a smartphone, or I guess a phone in general to what we see emerging on the market a little bit more or maybe not becoming. It's still an option that you can get. It's just it used to be really hard and it seems like it's become a slight bit more available. Is a dumber phone that doesn't have apps or cameras or yeah, Bluetooth maybe.
Speaker 3: I remember too, like getting that phone there was like, you know, you could only do so many things as an option on there, and I remember you'd go through and like pick out your ring tone. That was one of the things that was like cool to do, was to go through all the different like ring tone styles and then select which one you thought would be cool.
Speaker 2: So I remember going through.
Speaker 3: And like they were they were you know, looking back there probably all terrible, but that was one of like the highlights of getting a phone back then, as like, oh yeah, let me pick out.
Speaker 2: My ring tone.
Speaker 3: It has to be something cool because later on you could set different ring tones for different people eventually, but at first it was just just like basic, you know, this.
Speaker 2: Is the ring tone.
Speaker 1: Do you ever buy any ring tones or download any off the internet?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Okay, did you I remember getting Don't Fear the Reaper.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if that is.
Speaker 1: Oh goodness, I forget what the song is from. But they just took the clip well no, well, no, I think it was even the I don't think it was even chip tune. They pretty much just sliced that part of the song of I'm forgetting the song name. It's on the tip of my tongue pretty much. But they just took a clip I had that song and put it in as a ring tone, and then you could buy it. I think it was like nine nine cents at the time or ever. I remember getting it, and then I think realizing after that, I think you can I don't know if you could record your own ring tone, but you could upload an audio file onto it. And I felt slightly stupid. But then now looking at the chords that I have, for a lot of those phones, they didn't really have plug ins to computers. So even if I was that tech savvy, I don't even know if I could have unless at the time I knew that's something I could really do and get into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just.
Speaker 3: Such emerging technology. I think not a lot of people would probably know how to do that.
Speaker 1: No, Instead it was pretty much does it have a menu on the phone where you could download songs? Yeah, almost like what app stores are today, but very very basic level of it of just do you want a ring tone?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then they eventually started offering more as like maybe not default ring tones, but a set of ring tones that you could choose from, which I thought was nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other thing that those early phones did is you get individual text messages. Like now, when you get a text message, it's a conversation with a person back and forth.
Speaker 2: But previously it was like, oh.
Speaker 3: This text and one text and at least on the phone that I had, So eventually you'd run out of memory space and you have to go back and delete the most of your text so that you had enough space to receive more text messages. Sure, but it wasn't aligned as like a conversation is now, where it has consecutive messages.
Speaker 1: I remember mine almost being like a consecutive message thing. It's just you never really looked up into the other messages. It was kind of just in the moment of someone sent you a text yeah, and then you'd respond or maybe you just let's sit there for a little bit and then respond later. But yeah, I guess I could kind of vibe with that a little bit, or at least I understand that. But yeah, definitely with smartphones with bigger screens and that touch interface and all that, it's set up more like a chat room.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I think now on my current phone, I have you have so much memory and so much storage space that I don't bother to go delete text messages or like previous conversations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, think about all of the links, all the photos, all the notes, all the everything that you've sent, not just to me, but friends and family. All that data is still being saved either on iCloud because you have an iPhone, yeah, or in the storage on your phone, And that's a lot of data that you're just not touching. I know, have you ever thought about archiving all that info somehow?
Speaker 3: Or I mean, you have gone back in the past and deleted some of the random things that I felt like I didn't need. But other times I just leave, just leave the old conversations there.
Speaker 2: I'm so bad getting rid of them.
Speaker 1: So it's an ever growing pile of archive that you're not properly archiving. You're just carrying to the next phone, I guess yes, or oh goodness, let.
Speaker 2: Me look to see how far back my last conversation.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if I want to.
Speaker 2: Know, Okay, so just for starters.
Speaker 1: So right now, Carrie is showing me the list of what looks to be an endless list, and I message of group chats, text with people, so it never ends in which that's just those are old conversations that you.
Speaker 2: Use to conversations.
Speaker 1: The oldest one I see in there is from twenty twenty. But I'm sure a lot of the ones that either you and I have, or some of those back then still go back further if you tap into them and then scroll up to the earliest message and all that or even so, I mean, that's kind of the hard part about trying to figure out with some of these phones is yeah, you see the most recent message, but how far does the conversation go back, and if I message actually kept those messages from the previous phone or if it just started the new message off. Because I think at least I don't know about this phone they have, So I guess for those that are listening and are curious, Carrie has a iPhone fifteen regular in blue, but I guess you couldn't really tell it's blue even though it's got a blue Was it a leather case or pseudo leather case?
Speaker 3: They're like they're alternate, like their new case that they had the.
Speaker 1: Is it the one that oh it's got the cloth on the back kind of yeah, so it's like a rubbery is a rubbery or it's kind of soft, so it's almost like a leather feel on the edges and then a clothier feel on the back. I know a lot of people didn't really like how that ages over time, but I think what's going for you really well is that you've got the leather wallet sitting on the back, in which definitely you taking it off right now you can see how clean and new it looks like on the cloth. But even so, there still are a few scratches on there from either when you've dropped it or excellently scratched it with your nails taking off the wallet or something else. But I don't know. I kind of dig the new case, even though it might have been a flop for Apple to make and for customers to try out and decide, Nah, this isn't it so far?
Speaker 2: I like the durability of it.
Speaker 3: It has a few scratches, but I previously had the silicone cases on the last I think I had two silicone cases on the last one.
Speaker 1: I had on the iPhone twelve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they just wore out on the edges and then they started to peel off, So then it was just like a plastic case on the corner, and I didn't like that it was falling apart so easily.
Speaker 2: Where's this one?
Speaker 3: So far has not shown any signs of peeling apart or like falling apart. It's just the normal wear and tear that a case goes through.
Speaker 1: Do you recall how long those cases would last, like cut a year, a year each, Yeah, wow.
Speaker 3: And that was at the end of the year mark. They were like in serious and obvious disrepair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the plastic and the rub well, I guess plastic and rubbers kind of you book it us. But pretty much the edges of that case were peeling off, coming off all four corners, everything, even the back and the edges and all that. Yeah, So you'd say, well, I guess how long have you had this case on your fifteen regular It's been Once you get that phone was it December.
Speaker 2: I want to say January or February of this year.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's been about seven months that you've owned this phone, and I guess it's been a good phone because you haven't really complained about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I really don't use phones to their full capacity.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you're a good example of just the average person who buys an iPhone or I guess the smartphone in general is that you're not looking to get the best camera, or the best user interface, or the fastest read and write ability or charging speeds. It's more of just I need something reliable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I pretty much use it for messaging, calls, photos, internet, and.
Speaker 2: I use the calendar on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we tend to use our shared calendar a lot for setting up events, dates and everything.
Speaker 3: But as far as using like the notes app or even just a ton of like apps in general, I don't use.
Speaker 2: It a bunch for that. And you know, we have the home.
Speaker 3: App that we use, but otherwise it's not it's not heavily used.
Speaker 1: So you think the case is going to last more than a year, then, from what you can tell, I think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, I mean it seems to be holding up so far. Like I said, the norm it has like some scratches from wear and tear, but otherwise the case itself is not falling apart.
Speaker 1: Doesn't seem like a deal breaker. Is some of scratches on the back cover? Then no?
Speaker 3: I mean, like I expect that when you use a phone that you're going to end up with a level of wear and terear which includes scratches.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you use a lot more technology than you used to? And by I guess used to, it's more of I guess that's relative, like five, ten, fifteen years and all that. Do you feel like you've become a little bit more tech enthusiasm or enthusiastic?
Speaker 3: I mean, growing up, we really didn't. We weren't like a heavy technology based family. I would definitely say meeting you, you know, granted we've been together for like twelve years, but I've probably used more technology with you than I would have if I didn't meet you.
Speaker 2: But even now, I don't use a ton of technology.
Speaker 3: I mainly use my phone and occasionally I'll use the computer or the surface, but otherwise otherwise I'm not And I do use our smart speakers too, I guess, yeah, sometimes cue some music sometimes cupe music on the smart smart speakers, but otherwise I can't think of another piece of tech that is just in the forefront of my life.
Speaker 1: You might be consistent with your tech usage because, as you said before, you had a Nintendo DS and it wasn't like the center of your world, but it was nice to have from time to time when nothing was going on, you could just flip it open and play Treasure Planet or whatever. Right, and now you kind of do the same with or a Nintendo Switch that we have.
Speaker 2: Right, I guess that's true. I do like the Nintendo Switch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, instead of playing Treasure Planet, which I don't know how that game looks now, probably terrible. Yeah, but now you play Animal Crossing New Horizons or ever the newest version of Animal Crossing.
Speaker 2: That is true.
Speaker 1: It came out in twenty twenty, and you seem to get a lot of enjoyment out of that.
Speaker 3: I do, but I probably play it the same amount that I would play the DS. I probably play this a little bit more, but it's still not something that I do daily.
Speaker 2: Or even weekly.
Speaker 1: You kind of hop on it maybe once or twice a month to kind of get your fill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely would say during college years, I was more into using.
Speaker 2: The computer and surface for school activities, But.
Speaker 3: Now that that's not a part of my every day, I just use like the computer that is.
Speaker 2: Offered at work. Sure, and even then i'm.
Speaker 1: It's which is an iMac by the way.
Speaker 3: It's one of the new ones.
Speaker 2: I don't quite know. I think it's like one of this one we had that was green.
Speaker 1: Use a green iMac.
Speaker 2: No, it's not green, it's silver, but it's the same type.
Speaker 1: Of Ah, so it's the gray one. Okay, Yeah, I don't know what one that is silver? Gray? I guess, well there's a was there a black one? I forget. I'd have to look at the store again to see what colors they offer. Yeah, I think there's a gray one.
Speaker 2: But even then, My job is not heavy computer based.
Speaker 3: Sure, I don't spend a ton of time on the computer either at.
Speaker 1: Work, right. Yeah, it's mainly just for data logging or other stuff like that, mainly just keeping track of stuff correct where mine is little bit more technical as an engineer, of course, so I'm spending a lot of time on it. Oh goodness, you said something in there that I was going to hook on. It was a oh now, I remember so you mentioned. I guess when you went to school you were relying on computers the line you mentioned before, the surface in which, for those that may remember when I first started on these podcasts, I think mainly on the EV podcasts. I didn't start on a mac when we would record those episodes. I started on a surface pro in which I got or I had one, and then you took mine when I went on a vacation.
Speaker 3: Now let's okay, let's restep You were on a like a quarter system for school, sure, and I was on a semester semester system. So I started school before you did, and you had offered for me to borrow your computer for a little while.
Speaker 2: So I could take notes more easily.
Speaker 3: I liked it so much that you decided I could keep it and you would get yourself the.
Speaker 1: Pro I suppose that might have been what happened.
Speaker 2: Is what happened.
Speaker 1: So we ended up having two surface pros. Well, I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think your first one was a pro.
Speaker 1: It was a pro. They're both pros. Yeah, I didn't know that you thought yours is just a regular service. I even know if they make a regular surface it. I think it's a surface pro or yeah, well the ones that we had was a surface pro, but they've since made a whole bunch of other ones in the lineup.
Speaker 3: Because I thought the one that you had was better or newer or something than. Yes, the previous one that I had.
Speaker 1: I had a faster chip in mine, and I think a little bit more storage, yeah, because I used it for I think a year or maybe yeah, it was about year, and I enjoyed it, but I saw the limitations of oh, it doesn't have as much storage as I need and it takes a little while to boot up a few things.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so then when you took or sorry, when I gave you there you go, gifted you mine, I thought, Okay, this is the opportunity that I can upgrade my system a little bit because I know what my use case is for the device I did.
Speaker 3: I did really enjoy the notes, like the Windows Notes application on that because it was really useful for keeping track of different classes and dates that we.
Speaker 2: Would go over things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one note yea.
Speaker 3: The downside, I would say of the surface or just tablets in general, is the detachable.
Speaker 1: Keyboard, right, so on iPads the folio case, it kind of just uses the magnets on the back of the device to hear it to it and then and it uses some type of rigidity on the joint. So then when you've got the keyboard, it stays as one unit pretty well because there's a lot of different contact points for the iPad, but for the surface.
Speaker 2: It's just cliping on clip magnetic.
Speaker 1: Well, it's little magnets, but it's only on the edge, yeah, pretty much, or the thin side of the device. And so if in the case that happened with you, if the surface ever goes over the edge on its kickstand, the rest of the device might not make it with it because the magnets would be not as strong to hold it up over an edge, and so the tablet, being the expensive thing, would go ahead and fall, but the keyboard that isn't as expensive would just stay on the desk.
Speaker 3: Which is what happened to me, because the desks that they give you in college are tiny, at least the ones they had.
Speaker 2: At my universe, and.
Speaker 3: Especially in the auditorium type classrooms where they have the little pull out type like I don't know, desk card surface from the chair, those are so tiny, there's no space to have a kickstand and the I don't know what I would call it, the butt of the surface.
Speaker 2: There's like the kickstand, and then there's where the joining.
Speaker 3: Of theboard tablet the tablet, and then there's the keyboard itself, and there just wasn't enough space.
Speaker 2: So what happened in one class is typing along.
Speaker 3: The kickstand went off, the surface went with it, and it shattered the screen. The good news is I was able to get it repaired and it was fine. But there was a chance we could lose the surface and all the data along with it, which would have been a huge bummer.
Speaker 1: Did you have a Microsoft three sixty five count at the time.
Speaker 2: I don't remember, probably, so I guess maybe it would have been.
Speaker 1: It would have been backed up, probably, and you could access it from a different computer, which I like. That's what I really enjoyed about having the surface is I could log into whatever computer anywhere. So in the case of oh, no, someone stole my tablet for my car, I ended up going to a gym or some other part of town with my surface for some reason, maybe I had to pick something up after school, and then oh, someone stole the surface. Well, it's not a complete loss because probably at the time I was connected to Internet in taking notes, and so the notes backed up to the cloud and then all I had to do is go to another computer after my surface was quote unquote stolen. This never happened, but in the situation or hypothetical, I could easily just grab the notes and I wouldn't lose all that information, thankfully, And the same goes with you probably.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just super because it was like the first newer piece of technology I had had in a while, and it was a gift, so I felt really bad about it going over and cracking the screen.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Before that, I had a Dell laptop and I really enjoyed that actually lasted a long time.
Speaker 2: The downside was the battery eventually got old.
Speaker 1: Dells don't really age. Well, they don't from what I could tell. They don't the ones that I've got my work or a few at my work there are workstations, or those that I've observed from other co workers, both laptop and tower. They don't last long. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I did actually really like the Dell computer I had. It was blue.
Speaker 1: And typical like late two thousands looking things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very much so. I think I got it when I was going into high school.
Speaker 1: Okay, so a little bit past late two thousands.
Speaker 2: Maybe a little bit past that, right. I loved that thing.
Speaker 1: It was. It was heavy, Yeah, most computers were at that point. I guess max were maybe the only ones that were getting lighter and lighter. Well, I feel like there was a few pocketable tablet or not tablets, but uh, laptops at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just expensive, Yeah, I just really expensive.
Speaker 1: I remember a few, in particular, going to Best Buy and seeing these very small laptops. I don't remember what the name like where they came. They could have been Lenovo, they could have been some third party company that doesn't exist anymore. But I remember seeing them and they were just tiniest things, like maybe a little bit bigger than my iPad many, but probably a lot bigger than my iPad many.
Speaker 2: I might be I know exactly what ones you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: They were little, tiny ones and I wanted one of those because they were small and compact and it was cool. But at the time, you know, being an angsty teenager, I really wanted to have a CD player in my computer so that I could listen to my CDs through my headphones, through the computer.
Speaker 1: Can you tell how old we are, y'all listening to CDs?
Speaker 2: I still have all the CDs. I haven't gotten rid of this.
Speaker 1: We love our little four and one player that we have, and which it's inspired us to get a whole bunch of LPs and all that. Yeah, and we have some cassette tapes from family that we sometimes listen to, either during the holidays or when it's just a nice Sunday afternoon and we want to put on some tunes.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: It's a nice little players.
Speaker 2: Nice little player. It plays a lot of.
Speaker 1: Things, but also play CDs. It does play CDs, which you can't say for that one laptop, and which I think I probably made the same decision, is why would I get a laptop that doesn't have a CD player right when CDs are the rage right now, like they're never going to go away, right, And I could with some of these laptops. They're powerful enough to play DVDs.
Speaker 3: Right, And I wanted to be able to play DVDs too, because I could watch movies on the computer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in your room, in my room, you don't have to share the TV with Mom and Dad, right.
Speaker 3: That was also part of it, as I wanted to listen to my music and I wanted to play DVD, so then I didn't have to be like you know, I could be a weird teenager and like you know.
Speaker 1: It's kind of funny what the phone is replaced, because I recall going into your room and you had that laptop on your little small mini desks. Yeah, and then you had some speakers connected to it. It was your media center.
Speaker 2: It was my media center, and then it just.
Speaker 1: It's miniaturized so much over the years to where, like you said before, I mean, you don't use it as much as you admitted, But we've got speakers around the house. You don't even have to plug into them. You just bluetooth to them or airplay, I guess because we've got Apple speakers and play music whenever you want without having to plug them in. We're back in the day.
Speaker 3: I had it. I had, so the way I used my laptop was I used it as a laptop, but I also kind of used it as a quote home computer because I had it set up to where I could have it plugged in or not plugged in, and then either attached to the speakers or not. But I remember really appreciating having those speakers because I liked listening to.
Speaker 2: Music in my room.
Speaker 1: I think we still have those speakers.
Speaker 2: I think we still have them too.
Speaker 3: And then the other thing that kind of emerged, I think even before I got the computer was the iPod.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you remember what iPod you had?
Speaker 3: I had the I think it was the Nano, the blue one. It had the screen on it hm and I think we still have it.
Speaker 1: It was a smooth curve field to it. Okay, So I think it was the Was it the newer generation of Nano? Because I remember I had the older generation of Nano.
Speaker 3: They came out with a black and white Nano and then they came out with ones with all the colors, and I had the ones that ended up being all the colors, and I had the blue ones.
Speaker 1: I was the older generation. I had the black of the black and whites, and which I like that because I found, especially with the iPhone fourteen pro that I have, I really like square devices. Yeah, kind of like my original iPhone, the iPhone fives when they finally got out of their AT and T exclusivity contract, and I think the five Seed came out around that same time as well. But I liked the square field to it, and how maybe not I guess looking at now, is kind of like an aerospace look to it. But I guess aerospace is a little bit curvy in streamline. I guess brutalist. Maybe not brutalist, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think that's the right term for it.
Speaker 1: Very edged, defined edges in boxy, I guess is what I was raving over with the five s and what I liked about the fourteen pro. But going back to it, the iPods, Yeah, I really liked about my Nano's was very square, easy to hold, even though square kind of digs into your hands a little bit. Yeah, this one was fine with me. It didn't really dig in my hands. But the fact that you could put a whole bunch of songs on these things and carry them around and it was just such a great little device.
Speaker 3: The downside is that you could only download music from like one computer or like one account or something like that, and okay, at least that's what I remember.
Speaker 1: So you had to plug into the home computer.
Speaker 3: You had to plug in to the home computer to get your songs, or you had to download all of your CDs onto your iPod, which I eventually did.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you got your CDs, you put them into the home computer and then and then.
Speaker 2: You I don't know if you transfer or whatever it was.
Speaker 1: But you transfer to it itoons and here's all of the songs in your iTunes playlist. And then you plug in the iPod and then you just say, all right, the songs put onto the iPod. It take a bit.
Speaker 2: It would take a bit.
Speaker 1: I remember. It wasn't quick or fast because the read and write ability of those little devices or even the chords that were using just they weren't high speed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and because my family was not a technology family, just for us to be able to do that was like, oh my gosh, this is so cool. But we could not figure out iTunes. So I had no music from iTunes on my.
Speaker 1: Wait, son, how'd you get songs on your iPod?
Speaker 2: I only had so all of my CDs that I had.
Speaker 1: Okay, they ended up on the iPod how.
Speaker 2: Through the computer, So like you'd put the disc.
Speaker 1: You didn't know how to buy songs on.
Speaker 2: I don't even think I had an Itunes's account.
Speaker 1: I don't even know, like I think you needed iTunes for the iPod? Okay, Well, I know how else, but that's something i'd have to verify, because a lot of stuff in early Apple days I don't remember too much. I remember the hardware, right, I vaguely remembered the software, but I didn't really pay attention to it too much. It was more of just this is a computer to me, and this is a device that I use.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so what we did is we like it, took the CDs, put them in the like disc player for the computer, and then I don't know if they went onto like an iTunes. I guess there's some place. I guess maybe it had to go on iTunes.
Speaker 1: I feel like it had to go through iTunes because how else would the iPods.
Speaker 2: I guess that's true.
Speaker 3: So maybe I did have an iTunes account and then it went from there onto the iPod.
Speaker 1: Maybe your family just didn't want to buy music, and that's what you're associating it with.
Speaker 3: No, because my I don't even think my family knew how to operate the majority of.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you were the tech whiz then for the family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't want to say whiz. That's that's a real bold term.
Speaker 1: You were the more tech affluent for the new age technology in the house. Yeah, even though that you weren't the one plugging in a whole bunch of chords everywhere. You were mainly just I want to listen to my CDs in my pocket now, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Which was comical that you say that, because I mean, I am not a technology person by any means, but I.
Speaker 2: Take figure out how to put the music on my iPod.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Typically you just throw me at the problem when it's a technology issue, or in the case of recently, we're trying to assemble some albums and so you're just plug it in, and I want this album on the computer so that way we can stuff do this for me pretty much pretty much my go to even so I get to it and I have difficulty with it. I'm starting to get to that age in my life where I'm not that up to date on how some of the Apple data transfer techniques are, and so I just plug in the phone in which I could probably just air drop a lot of stuff. But for the size of albums that we're trying to put together, I don't know if air drop would be the best approach to plug it in? Is what I do, and then from there, I just have to highlight all the photos in the default photo viewer, and it, as far as I can tell, in the photo app, it doesn't low you to liked albums. So I have to highlight all these photos from your phone and then transfer them over to a specific curated or created album on the photo app on the computer.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So even still, it seems like I'm also falling behind a lot of a lot of areas of tech. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So so yeah, that's I mean, it's always evolving, always changing.
Speaker 2: It's hard to keep up with all of it.
Speaker 1: Do you remember what your first smartphone was?
Speaker 3: So I had the NV two, which is not a smartphone. Eventually, when the NV two came out, it was like the one that was like a flat regular phone on the front and then you opened it up and it was like a keyboard.
Speaker 1: It was like a hot dog bun of a phone.
Speaker 3: Or it was so excited about that phone because it was like my first new phone. Because all the other phones that I had, I think I had like two other like old flip phones, but they did have a camera, which was exciting.
Speaker 2: So that Envy two was my first like brand new phone.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the beauty of the NV two if I remember it right, it had buttons on the front so you can interact with the phone without having to open it correct and which is something that Sam Sung touts these days with their flip and fold phones, which is kind of fine. We've gone full circle there where now you can do on the new fold and Flip six, you can do so much on the front screen, even though it's a small screen on the front, and then you can open it up and it's a lot taller, a lot wider screen.
Speaker 2: Well, at the time, it was like one of the only phones.
Speaker 1: That had a full keyboard, right you would open it up, So typically it's just tiny screen on the top and then the nine to ten buttons or whatever on the front. But with this one, you would open it up, it would fold out and now you've got a whole keyboard, but the screen. You'd have to rotate the device, right because on one side it's the keyboard, the other side it's actually a hidden screen. Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 2: So I was really excited about that.
Speaker 3: I don't think it classifies as a smartphone, but it was my first new phone that I was really.
Speaker 2: Enthusiastic about and had a camera.
Speaker 3: And then I think my first phone after that was the Samsung Galaxy.
Speaker 2: I think that was my first smartphone.
Speaker 1: Wow, was that probably like the Galaxy three or something like.
Speaker 2: That, maybe the two. I have no clue. I can't remember one of the early Galaxy generations.
Speaker 1: I wasn't paying attention to smartphones at the time, really.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think again, the culture and our upbringing was different at that time to where we weren't really thinking about the next best thing. It was more of just once your phone was due for an upgrade after so many years in which these phones would last a while, you just you'd go to the at least for me and my family would go to the Verizon store.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what we did too.
Speaker 1: And then it's just whatever they had there that was either covered by your plan or your parents were willing to buy you right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we would go to Verizon and then like, no prior research, you know before going in.
Speaker 1: Well, why would you go on the internet and try to figure stuff out?
Speaker 2: You would just go into the store.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you would fiddle with the phones, so you'd kind of like, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, they're on their little podium and their little podiums blogged in all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'd kind of pick one that, oh, this one looks cool, and this one has a really good color.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your env was Envy two was I think purplish paper or something like that.
Speaker 2: It was maroon is the color?
Speaker 1: Oh, maroon?
Speaker 3: I think the options were like maroon or black ew, I know, so maroon.
Speaker 1: It was, Yeah, maroon, definitely. Why would you get a black like? Yeah, I think all of them were like kind of gray or blues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was a teenage girl at the time. Maroon was you know, that was trendy.
Speaker 1: I remember there's one that I really wanted to get because I kept on getting the samsungs as well. I had two of the regular classic looking flip Samsungs, and then I think I ended up going for something that was like your Envy two, which was the double flipping Samsung phone that I had. I don't think you ever got to see that one, but pretty much you would be able to fold it up like a regular flip phone, but you could also fold it out, so it did both kind of like what the Galaxy fold.
Speaker 2: And flip to I know exactly what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: So it could open up like a hamburger or a hot.
Speaker 3: Dog, because then you could text, Like if you turn it sideways, you had like a keyboard, change to it right.
Speaker 1: And then you'd flip it back down and then you'd flip it up.
Speaker 3: I had a double hemps regular keyboard. Yeah, I do remember that phone. I don't know if I remember you having it, but I do know exactly what phone.
Speaker 1: No, but the other phone I wanted to get at the time instead of that phone before I got that one was a Orange flip phone. It pretty much was like my regular Samsungs, but it was orange, and it was touted to be a sporty outdoor cell phone a lot more rugged. It could get wet and it would not be an issue, but I don't think you could submerge it. It probably was. I'd have to look up some Internet archives to see what it was. Even with like the self or the old flip phones that I have here, it's hard to get information for them because even if like you put up like the serial number, you might not get that many hits on Google or bing wherever you use. So even with like that Orange one, I don't know what I would do to try to search it up. But anyways, that was my tangent. So you went from the Envy two to a galaxy and and probably after that maybe another galaxy, or did you hop onto the iPhone after that?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I had another galaxy or if I went for an iPhone, but I did get an iPhone someplace in there.
Speaker 1: Do you remember which one you got? Was it squared off or was it curved?
Speaker 2: I honestly cannot remember.
Speaker 3: I think my first iPhone was either the four or five.
Speaker 1: You were with Verizon, so it had to be at least a five S for five C.
Speaker 3: In that case, I think it was the five, but not the five C because if I've used the color.
Speaker 1: One right, five C, Yeah, maybe the C stood for color I forget Drew and Randy would have a lot more information on that, So then it was the five. They were made out of plastic.
Speaker 2: Okay, I did not have one made out of plastic.
Speaker 1: You had a metal one. Yeah, you probably had an S then, or you went to the six, which wasn't squared off. It was rounded off, I believe on the sides. Yeah, that's when they did a big jump from what it used to look like being very squared off or I guess. Originally it was rounded on the back and then square on the front, and then they just did square on back, square on front for a little bit, and then they went to round it on the front and back.
Speaker 2: Too many descriptions.
Speaker 1: They flipped through so many different designs, it's just been insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I stuck with the iPhone, I think for a few different phone rotations, like every two years when you our plan had its upgrade.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: I stuck with the iPhone, and I had otter boxes on all of them because I would drop my phone.
Speaker 2: All the time. They were not as durable as they are now.
Speaker 1: No, they're a little bit plastic y now.
Speaker 2: So I had I had the otter box on or.
Speaker 1: Are you talking about the ones?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 2: The cases?
Speaker 1: Did they come apart when you dropped them? I forget the case, Yeah, I remember with like some of the cases i'd buy for my five s they would just fly off into different pieces.
Speaker 3: If I was a cheap case, yes, But I ended up always getting the utter box because I dropped my so many times that I felt it was necessary to have something more durable. Plus, my lifestyle at the time was a lot of outdoors type things, so it made.
Speaker 2: Sense for me to have a more protective case on my phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess if I think about it now, those outdo boxes were actually pretty pretty durable, pretty durable because you had pretty much put like the plastic housing around it first, and then you had formed the rubber.
Speaker 2: House the hard rubber.
Speaker 1: It was a whole process. And then also making sure that there's nothing trapped between the phone cover casey for the screen and the screen on the phone, which made it a little bit plastic ear, a little less responsive to touch, but at least it kept it safe. Well.
Speaker 3: You could take if you didn't want the plastic like bit in there, you could take it out, which I think I.
Speaker 1: Did with my for the front, for the last front glass.
Speaker 3: I think I took the plastic y like material out, Okay, I think I did on maybe not all of them, but I do remember taking it out on at least one, maybe.
Speaker 1: Two of them, okay.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 3: It would be unfortunately if something got stuck in there like dog hair or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd go to blow on it it's not moving like, and then you have to take it apart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And they were really hard to get apart and put back together again, which I don't know if there's still like that, I'm going to assume.
Speaker 1: So, but yeah, you're not really rocking the hunter box cases anymore.
Speaker 2: I'm not because they started to make the phones.
Speaker 1: More durable, sure, or even just the cases are. I guess we go more for aesthetic these days, just because the phones are pretty, like you said, durable or at least dense to where it's not like if you drop, like a flip phone or your Envy two or anything like that, the plastic keys would just fly all over the place or with glass as it was at the time, it was just easy to break.
Speaker 3: Or well, I mean, I feel like I still go for durable because you know, like the silicone cases were not durable, and that's why I didn't like them, is because they were falling apart.
Speaker 1: They weren't they had long, very bad longevity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they just they did not hold up to just everyday wear and tear. And I don't think I'm currently that hard on my phone. You know, it ends up in my pocket or like on the counter or in a purse, but I'm not throwing at places or like doing anything where it rubs a lot.
Speaker 1: Sure. So yeah, and also being a teenager, you're a little bit less careful with things, probably true. Even though your your parents have now boughten you and trusted you with a device that you get to call your own, which is very exciting, you still very much had whatever going on that day, and it would fly out of your pocket it or you'd leave it somewhere or something like that, and it would just get beaten up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and then certain so like women's clothing, they don't make pockets big enough for you to put your phone in.
Speaker 1: Or just no pockets at all, just no pockets at.
Speaker 3: All, And so then you end up like putting your phone in all these like random places to be able to take.
Speaker 1: Your phone with you and a purse or a satchel, or you just hold it or you hold it, or.
Speaker 3: It ends up like in between like your body and your sweatpants or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Right that you have on.
Speaker 3: Because especially with the front, pockets on women's jeans are not big enough to hold a cell phone. So now the majority of people put them in their back pocket. Plus I also think it's a comfort thing so that when you bend over, your phone doesn't jab you in the abdomen.
Speaker 1: So you typically put your phone in your back pocket, then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's never in my front pocket unless I'm wearing like sweatpants around the house. Sure, Otherwise it ends up in my back pocket.
Speaker 1: Are you fine with how big phones are these days? Like you're fifteen regular? Does it seem huge? Does it seem like a decent size? Do you wishoes bigger or smaller?
Speaker 3: I think it's a decent size. I definitely don't want anything.
Speaker 2: Larger than this.
Speaker 3: Part of it is because I like having only one hand to use my phone, and if I got a bigger phone then I'd have to use two hands to press a button across the screen, which I don't really want to do, right, So I like having it be a one handed device at least for the size of my hands and this phone size.
Speaker 2: I'm also.
Speaker 3: I also wear glasses, so having something smaller is also probably not ideal. And the other part is I feel like I've had the same sized phone, or roughly the same sized phone for several years, so I'm also just used to the size.
Speaker 1: That it is. That makes sense, yeah, and which it kind of has maintained that same size in terms of the chassis as far as I can tell it. I guess it does inch larger and larger by the day. But what they do is they also decrease the bezel width on the edges, and which for those that don't know what bezel with is being, I think you what.
Speaker 3: It is because it's your screen, Like the size of your screen gets bigger and the edges get smaller.
Speaker 1: Right yep, Oh you got it. Maybe some of that information has rubbed off on you over time with either having drew over or me talking about.
Speaker 2: It, or maybe I just know things.
Speaker 1: Maybe you just know things. Yeah. Wow, I actually wasn't expecting that. I was thinking that maybe want things a little bit small or something like that, and which you kind of you did hint at that, Like it'd be nice to be able to fit in your front pocket and be able to reach your thumb over to the other side of the device without having to grab it with another hand.
Speaker 3: I mean I can reach my thumb across. It's a long reach, though, and my hand is like severely tilted sure to go diagonal across, But the majority of your buttons are down where your thumb is anyway. Uh huh, So I don't know that I really press anything in the top screen. I think the most like that you sometimes get is if you're in like a web browser, like you need to click something up there, But sometimes they'll pop up in the bottom.
Speaker 1: It just depends. I think what's interesting about your use case of a lot of Apple devices is your second most used Apple device isn't a Mac or an iPad or anything else. It's actually the Apple TV.
Speaker 2: The Apple TV. Do headphones count because I do use my headphones?
Speaker 1: I guess that as an accessory? Yeah, because I do use I was thinking like mainline products that Apple cells, but I guess AirPods sell enough. I think it's been told that if it was it had its own company, it would be one of the most profitable products or at least companies out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I do use my headphones for workouts and I use.
Speaker 2: Them for calls.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. So maybe the Apple TV is like your third most used Apple.
Speaker 2: Product then probably?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Probably? Okay. Do you like AirPods?
Speaker 2: I do like my AirPods.
Speaker 1: Does it satisfy everything that you have as a average user, I guess of technology?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I pretty much just listen to music on them.
Speaker 3: I like the feature that you can either have ambient.
Speaker 1: Noise or not sure be able to hear stuff around you or noise cancel all of it pretty much.
Speaker 3: Right, Because there are times in my workouts where I just want to be zoned in and I just want to have my music playing and not focus on anything else, and other times where it's like, oh, I should probably be a little bit more aware of my surroundings, and so then I have the ambient, you know, sound on or if somebody's trying to talk to me, but I probably do, Like I don't even know if I know how to skip if there's a way to skip songs on the air pods.
Speaker 2: This is so bad.
Speaker 3: I think I just know how to pause and unpause the music.
Speaker 1: Just by clicking on the stem with your I.
Speaker 3: Just squeezed the stem on like my left side, and then it pauses and unpauses.
Speaker 2: But I don't really know how to do anything else.
Speaker 3: I don't know how to turn up and down the volume or skip songs from the headphones themselves.
Speaker 1: I don't think AirPods can turn up and down the volume. But what if I told you, instead of doing one squeeze, you do two squeezes, and that's how you skip a song.
Speaker 2: I did not know that because if I want to skip a song, I just go to my phone and I but to go next.
Speaker 1: Well, to be fair, it's not intuitive unless you're reading into either the manual or looking in the settings and all that. Yeah, I think there's even settings for you can tell one stem to do one thing and tell another stem to do another thing. If you long hold, that's another thing. You can long hold on them.
Speaker 2: So my long hold is forgetting the ambient.
Speaker 3: Noise to go on and off, right, I think the shorthold is for pausing.
Speaker 1: I think there's a setting the UK justin there where it will change it to you talking with the Apple assistant. Huh, not to trigger her in our house and all that. That's why I call our Apple assistant. But yeah, that's something I disabled. I think I chose to have both of them be noise cancelation mode or ambient mode as you like to call it.
Speaker 2: I also don't know how they operate on phone calls.
Speaker 1: Like what do you mean? So?
Speaker 3: Like is like, I don't know if there's a way on there to like mute or unmute yourself from the headphones.
Speaker 1: Oh, I monkeyed around with it for a bit. I never really messed with the settings, but I tried that once and I accidentally hung up on someone.
Speaker 3: Okay, I also don't know how to hang up on there. I basically just use my phone as like the control center, and then the headphones are just for the audio.
Speaker 1: You're pretty much use them like EarPods in which, uh, for those that might not know or at least don't remember, the EarPods were the wired version of what the AirPods are. Yeah, the original headphones that Apple made.
Speaker 2: That's pretty much what I use them for, at least in the phone calls case scenario.
Speaker 1: Sure, you're not interacting with anything on the headphones at all. It's just on the ice, which it's intuitive and it works because the phone is pretty much the everything put into one device, right, and especially being a phone, you want to make phone calls on it, right, and so hopefully it's got the controls on it for you to be able to start and end calls and or emerge calls or yeah, dialogue. You don't like it.
Speaker 3: For the most part, if you're in a phone call, you don't need to look at your phone or use your phone in a phone call. So for the most part, it's like you make your phone call and then the which is where you use your phone, and then you don't use it for the length of the phone call. And then at the end you can hang up or if they hung up on you, then you have to do anything.
Speaker 2: You don't have to do anything.
Speaker 1: You're on the phone anyways, probably just to make sure that the call is done.
Speaker 3: But so like, there's not like use case unless you want to turn the volume up or down on your phone call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think you know, but.
Speaker 3: Normally if you have a level that's comfortable, then you don't have to worry about turning your volume up and down so you can hear the person on.
Speaker 1: The other side. Sure, sure, yeah, And I don't think Apple there might be a setting in there for turning up and down volume, but I don't think that's a thing yet.
Speaker 3: I am so at the basic levels of technology use well.
Speaker 1: Like I said before, you're very much an average user of technology. You don't have to be the most technologically savvy person to use all this available. All these devices are products that we have in today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think I need to incorporate more technology into my life. I think no, it's fine where it's at.
Speaker 1: What did you think of the vision pro or the metaquest. When Drew brought his over and I was testing on mine for a little bit, I.
Speaker 2: Think it's too much for me personally.
Speaker 3: It's something I don't think I would I don't want to say ever use, but the likelihood is very.
Speaker 1: Low, so not really looking like the future uh computing or anything else.
Speaker 2: Not for me.
Speaker 3: I think that it would probably be great for other people or you know, maybe like younger individuals, probably because they're a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Immersed in technology. Sure, But the other thing is.
Speaker 3: Like, unless you hook up what the person using the vision goggles or whatever it.
Speaker 1: Is, the VR headset, Yes, the.
Speaker 2: VR headset up to the TV. As a bystandard of somebody watching another person use the VR headset, it's a I don't want to say bored, but like it's a.
Speaker 3: Little boring to watch somebody else play with a VR headset. Versus if you're playing a video game on the TV, then other people can at least see what you're doing, not necessarily be a part of it, but feel like there's still I don't want to say immersed, but I guess.
Speaker 1: Kind of right, that's something that you liked Compared to when I was testing out the metaquests. Three. You didn't like the fact that you couldn't really see everything that I was looking at as much unless I really connected it to the TV, which took a lot work on my end to get it all connected. But then just booting up a video game on the PlayStation or the Xbox or the switch or whatever, it was just as easy as turning it on and the TV turns on its own, or we have to turn on the TV and it's easy for you to look at when you're walking by.
Speaker 2: That one that's easier.
Speaker 3: The other thing is it's not that exciting to watch somebody flail about a room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unless they're really getting less they're.
Speaker 3: Really into it, but for the most part it ends up being like somebody standing in like a two foot radius and their head is just moving side to side and up and down. Their arms are not I mean, they can be involved, but for the most part it's just like a person.
Speaker 2: Standing moving their head.
Speaker 1: Sure, which is.
Speaker 3: Also not very interesting to watch as a bystandard. No, and again this is why I don't think this piece of technology is really for me. No, or it just makes me sound old because I'm not. There's not something that I don't know. Maybe I'm just I'm just not used to it. Maybe if I grew up with it, it'd be different.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's maybe a generational thing. Maybe you think Gen Alpha or ever is more in tune with that tech, then.
Speaker 2: Probably, But I don't know anybody who.
Speaker 1: Is jen Gen Alpha, I don't think, yeah, or Gen Z I guess yeah. So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like i'd have to see what the young kids are doing these days.
Speaker 3: To know if it's the end thing or not, because I don't know. I don't know if it's like if that generation is more immersed in it or not.
Speaker 2: I couldn't say sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our whole spiel is not really tuning into live streams on Twitch or on YouTube and all that. The closest we get is maybe watching something live on YouTube, but otherwise it's all videos that have been uploaded. Yeah, of whatever that we're interested in that day, whether it's funny video compilations on the internet, or some raccoons or fish or whatever or something else. But yeah, we're very exciting people, aren't we. Right.
Speaker 3: I do see the benefit of the VR headset if you could download movies on it, which I.
Speaker 1: Think you can, right, you can watch movies on them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for if you are going on a car ride.
Speaker 1: Or a flight or a flight.
Speaker 3: And you know it's gonna be you're gonna be sitting for a long time, and maybe you don't want to watch what everybody else is or you just kind of want to slip away into your own like little world for a little bit. I do think it could be beneficial for that because in a car, like you know, family road trip or something, kids are in the backseat, if they're immersed in their VR headset, that means they're probably not fighting with each other and they're we're throwing things, and they're probably not asking mom and dad like are we there yet?
Speaker 2: Are we there yet?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It's something that we definitely did growing up, is just waiting to get to the destination mm hmm. And there's not much that we could do besides just sit there and look out the window.
Speaker 2: Right, play like.
Speaker 3: Game car games and things like that which only last for so.
Speaker 1: Long, right, or even like not even long drives. It could just be like a fifteen to twenty minute drive and it's still agonizing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But granted, like the VR headsets are expensive.
Speaker 1: So yeah, who was buying a VR headset for that.
Speaker 3: A VR heads like not even if you have two kids too and you wanted them to not fight over having like one VR headset.
Speaker 1: A Switcher DS is probably a better bet. Yeah, So, I mean.
Speaker 3: That would be in my you know, experience, that'd be like a bougie family if they're having like because even the Medicals ones are there like six hundred dollars or so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Medicquest three is about six hundred dollars. I was thinking the uh yeah, never, you can get a cheap one like a Medicquest two for around I think three hundred two to four hundred dollars. I think in which for the Nintendo Switch Light, which isn't like ours, like there's no joy cons. It's one whole unit, kind of like a game advance if you're remember those, Yeah, I think those costs around like two to four hundred dollars as well. I'd have to look at the prices again, so it might just be in the same price bracket. For if you're trying to get something for the kid to play with in the back of the car and you travel a lot or you have to drive a bit to get to your neighborhood to wherever destination, it might be worth it to pay that much to either have as an entertainment device at home and in the car, but not at the destination.
Speaker 3: I guess it just depends on how much you value your you know, kids, being immersed in something like that, and if you think it's worth it or not, and if you have the like extra spending money to do that, you know, yeah, that's not like a cheap investment.
Speaker 1: So or how comfortable you are having your kid have a screen right there less than an inch from their face, right or I guess two screens technically, because for the VR headsets it's one each yea.
Speaker 2: And growing up.
Speaker 3: There, I was like, don't sit too close to the TV, you'll burn your eyes out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And now everyone's just rectangle right to those yikes.
Speaker 3: So I can't imagine it's great for your eyes to have something that close to them.
Speaker 2: So I think that's probably an individual.
Speaker 4: Parental choice, you know, Yeah, that must be an interesting choice for a lot of people in our age group slowly having kids and all that slowly eventually having kids and all that making those decisions in which we probably sound really old compared to a lot of the audience who are listening right now.
Speaker 1: But I mean, we just went through a whole podcast talking about old tech and what our experiences were. Like, I'll leave this for you kind of at the end of this podcast. Are there any questions that you have for me at least that you want to put on the record of the podcast, or whether you're curious or not of what tech that I enjoyed most or how.
Speaker 3: Much more immersed in technology do you think you were like versus me. I obviously have limited technology experience, but it I mean, you're a gamer and I'm a gamer.
Speaker 1: Well, you like when I met you, you know, oh yeah, I was alluded to the Xbox three sixty. Yeah. I definitely valued video games a whole lot more than you when we're growing up.
Speaker 3: I mean I never played like a true video game until I met you. Liked nothing on Xbox or True station. Well, like, I played the DS, but I don't know if that really counts as a video game. Okay, Well I didn't play anything with like a controller far away from like the TV or anything.
Speaker 1: Sure, I mean the closest you got was probably a WE.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, the Wei is probably the closest even so everyone pray.
Speaker 1: It seems like everyone had a Wii at the time, which it was a very it was almost like the I guess having like the PlayStation in a way. It seems like a lot of people at the PlayStation, mainly because it was a DVD or Blu ray player and all that, so it's nice to have around as an entertainment device. But then also for well, I guess for both watching TV and playing video games. Yeah, to answer your question, I definitely was a lot more obsessed with tech and which kind of shows where I am right now. I mean, we're talking on a tech podcast right now about tech. Well, I guess more of a history of it. But I guess I'm dodging the question little. But yeah, I was definitely a lot more invested in tech compared to you. If I were to put it like as a number, I would say, you're maybe like a three or four when we're growing up.
Speaker 2: Of like level pieces of technology, like how immersed I was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in terms of like level of immersion out of ten, you're maybe like a maybe like a two or three, and I was probably around like a seven. Yeah, Like I wasn't like hopelessly lost in tech, but definitely after school every day I would come home, boot up the game cube and play Super Mario Sunshine or Mario Kart Double Dash or something like that, either with myself or with Mom or anyone else in the family or friends. So, yeah, what about.
Speaker 3: Like computers did you have, Like do you remember your first like your first computer, not your family computer, but my first computer?
Speaker 1: Uh well, I was thinking that. I was thinking the question was going more towards what was the first like computer game that you remember playing? And that was definitely something like Putt Putt, Putt Putt's Adventure and all that. But uh, my first computer I remember having that I got to own was a was it a Lenovo laptop? I want to say that sounds about right. It was like a silver one. Yours is blue. Mine's a silver and which mine was actually a little bit skinnier than yours, if I recall, not by much, and it was a good laptop. I still have it. I can't log into it. I don't know what the password is. I'd probably need someone who can hack into laptops to get in, but who knows. If it still has a lot of the data on there, or not, or if at some point I messed up on the password and it just recovered itself, or not even recovered, it just wiped all the information on there, and maybe there's nothing left. So yeah, I do remember that laptop. It was a decent laptop, but I remember it just felt a little underpowered, and uh, what'd you use it for? What did I use it for? That's a great question. I mean it was at the time when I was in like eighth grade, going into high school. My mom bought it as a present because she thought I was probably gonna it's a new era of or I guess a new generation of kids. And before you had to I guess for computers. I remember going to the computer lab. Yeah, you'd have to go to the library or the computer lab or something like that.
Speaker 3: But with.
Speaker 1: Our generation, laptops were becoming a lot more feasible in terms of financial purchases, and so I remember my mom thinking, yeah, you'll probably need this, or it'll be nice for you to have this if you need to type up something, which I technically didn't need it. There's a computer at home, there's a computer lab at the school, right, And I wasn't It's not like, I, oh, I need to type this under a tree, Like what high schoolers going to do?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: Unless like while eating an apple and being studious?
Speaker 1: Oh very much. Yeah, I was that. We were that fancy when we were kids, you know, at whatever high school we went to. Yeah, so now I remember that lab. It wasn't a bad laptop. But I don't think. I don't think I was ready for a laptop until probably at the end end of high school, right.
Speaker 3: I think when you start to get into college is probably where you need a computer more, at least in our generation.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's changed now, but sure.
Speaker 1: Also at our time, laptops weren't that powerful. They were kind of just word processors, where if you want to do something a lot more interesting, like making a video or I don't know, just doing a lot more complex things like I guess I made a few stop motion videos in my time. When I was a kid, I didn't use the laptop. I used the home computer because that had all the plugs necessary for the iSight camera that we had, or I guess some regular webcam and then just using the snapshot feature or some other third party software to capture a whole bunch of images and then stitch them together. Yeah, the home computer was more than enough, where the laptop felt a little bit more limited. So even though our laptops had disk drives, they didn't really seem that much impressive as a as a memory or GPU intense system.
Speaker 3: I think I still typed my homework and things on our home computer because you had to hook it up to the printer. Right, If you had a laptop, you either had to like download a disk and get that software, or you had to be directly plugged into the printer, which was also a hassle because you had to unplug it.
Speaker 1: And who knows how old your printer was at the time. If it was an older printer, yeah, it might have a specific plug in, which if you had that specific plug, you're more inclined to keep that old computer because that means that's how you can still use that printer and or that tower or mod.
Speaker 3: Or Yeah, so I think I still used even though I had that laptop. I think I still used our home computer to do the majority of my assignments on just because I needed to print things out. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at the time, we didn't really live in a we were in a digital age. The dawn of a digital age. But it's not like there was a canvas portal or whatever online web page that you could upload your assignments to.
Speaker 2: Because it was eventually in like late high school, early.
Speaker 1: College, ye, starting to catch one, but at least early high school or in our grade schools school, no way, that just wasn't a thing you had to You had to get the piece of paper from the teacher, take it home, fill it out, and then take it back or uh, they would give you the assignment on that piece of paper, but they'd tell you need to type this out on a computer at home or in the computer lab, and you'd go into the computer lab or the computer at home, type it out, it take a while, and then hope that the connection to the printer was good. Right, there wasn't anything going wrong with your computer or the printer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your printer had to be shipshape, which, as we all know as a society today, printers suck.
Speaker 2: They're still terrible. They haven't improved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say in terms of like the printer game, it's like the Hunger Games. But everyone kind of just fell off of a cliff. I no one really gave an attempt at trying to survive along in this hunger game.
Speaker 3: Printers enrage me. I think that that's the point that why they make printers is to enrage people. I don't think they actually make them to print things. I think they're just made for frustration.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like, well, it was the beginning of the modern day subscription service because it would work for a while, but then you'd have to quote unquote resubscribe. In the case of these printers, you'd have to buy a new printer or get someone to come and fix your printer.
Speaker 3: I know one time when my parents got a pair of scissors stuck in their printer and they had to have fun come out and get the scissors arms up from their printer.
Speaker 2: I don't know how the scisster's gotten there.
Speaker 1: I'm even more confused.
Speaker 3: I don't know how they had somebody like a service person come out and fix the printer.
Speaker 1: But now, I don't think I've ever jammed scissors and a printer.
Speaker 3: I don't know how they did it, and maybe it just slipped down where the paper went in or something.
Speaker 1: But that's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yes, But now you can buy a printer cheaper than you can buy the ink for the printer so you can just keep buying new printers instead of buying ink, which is such waste. Something is wrong here. It's not adding up.
Speaker 1: On that note, thanks for joining me babe for this podcast. I appreciate it, and thank you for listening this week. I hopefully we've got Randy and Drew back for next week. We still wanted to get a podcast out to y'all, it's just our schedules didn't work out. So we had my wife join and it was a fun time.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me all.
Speaker 1: We'll catch you next time. Have a fantastic day. Bye.