Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: What else is going on? Time for.
Speaker 3: Time for what happened?
Speaker 1: Well, we mentioned as the news was breaking, California is filing a lawsuit has filed a lawsuit against President Trump in response to the administration's deployment of the National Guard. Attorney General Rob Bonte said the deployment deployment trampled the state's sovereignty, planning to seek a court order declaring that Trump's use of the National Guard was unlawful and asking for a restraining order to stop the deployment. That will be all filed this afternoon. Gavin Newsom said yesterday on MSNBC commandeering a state's national guard without consulting the governor of that state is illegal and immoral. Setting up the fight between these two and that's what we kind of touched on off the top of the show, is immigration protests or nothing new to Los Angeles. The national politicizing of the urination match between Trump and Newsome is.
Speaker 4: When would do you think we'd find out information about this lawsuits? If it's filed this afternoon. Is it something that's done in hours or is it going to be it's already been done, you know, I mean some sort of a decision on it.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the chain of command on that is. I don't know. I have not done enough research on that.
Speaker 4: There is a gathering right now at Grand Park there in downtown LA, a couple of blocks away from where things were popping off last night. This is what they're saying is a peaceful rally at Grand Park. They are demanding the release of David wuerta union leader with the SEIU. He was arrested on Friday outside the Federal Detention Center for getting a new shoving match with federal agents out there.
Speaker 5: He is scheduled to make a court appearance.
Speaker 4: I don't think he's made his court appairs today, but he has been charged technically. Rallies are also taking place in other cities, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, DC. There've already been arrests in New York City.
Speaker 1: The television networks are so hungry for headlines and footage they continue to use footage from yesterday with the tag of breaking news, without the tag of recorded earlier. And it's driving me insane, and simply because we're expecting a protest to have begun right now in Los Angeles. Delores Werta, now ninety five years old, was rumored to be at this one.
Speaker 2: We don't know the scope.
Speaker 1: If it's a fragmented protest, if it's super organized and will be in one place, we just don't know. But like on Fox News right now, they're showing they're showing old footage of the incinerated way mode yesterday.
Speaker 4: That's new footage in that they're trying to remove them right now right.
Speaker 1: Well, because like we mentioned, these cars burn forever with the battery and then if you throw a water on them, that just makes it worse.
Speaker 2: We've gone down that road before.
Speaker 1: But again, this latest is the lawsuit filed by the California Attorney General saying that Trump was unlawful in deploying that National Guard. Trump, to his end, did say, or his people said that they do have this legal provision that allows them to deploy federal service members when there is a rebellion or danger of a rebellion against the authority of the government of the United States. They're arguing, I'm assuming that the administration told Ice to do its thing. ICE is doing its thing in Los Angeles, and there's a rebellion against that. Now, where the state's sovereignty and the state's jurisdiction comes into play, that's up for the court to decide.
Speaker 4: There should have been a whole lot more than this, But forty two people were arrested at the at least five law enforcement officers were injured. Between the Sheriff's Department, the LAPD, ANDCHP, they collectively arrested forty two people.
Speaker 5: Again that they could have arrested a few hundred.
Speaker 4: Last night, they said that the ones that were arrested were taken in for things like failure to disperse, assault with the deadly weapon on a peace officer, looting and arson.
Speaker 2: There are other things going on. Have you heard about Barbara.
Speaker 1: Tropical Storm Barbara's become a hurricane forming in the Pacific off the west coast right Mexico. Yeah, so right now, it's about one hundred and fifty five miles southwest of Manzanillo. Where's that? I don't know where that is? Mexico, Thank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Then, right on Barbara's heels, Tropical storm Cosme is brewing up as well, we've.
Speaker 2: Got a manhunt in Vegas.
Speaker 1: There was a guy who shot a couple people in front of the Bolagio fountains. Apparently this happened about ten forty last night. Gunfire officers arrived. Two victims laying on the sidewalk shot. They both died, and whoever the shooter was took off, So they're on the look for that guy.
Speaker 4: Coastguard still looking for what they believe would be the remnants of a twin engine Cessna four to fourteen that crashed yesterday afternoon, not long after it took off. The plane was headed back to Phoenix a day after it flew out from Arizona, made its way from one of the airports and was kind of headed out towards the water before doing a giant you turned to go back towards Phoenix and was lost somewhere in the ocean.
Speaker 5: They believe that they have a.
Speaker 4: They believe that they have a what you call it debriefield, but they're not saying specifically if they have located the actual plane.
Speaker 1: And then we had the plane crash, the skydiving plane that crashed in Tennessee. Multiple people injured, two dozen skydivers on board, that twin engine propeller that crashed yesterday after noon. This was just seventy seven miles outside of Nashville. All right, just briefly, because I know this is a story that you have been totally focused on, and I wanted to make sure to be the one to break this to you.
Speaker 5: The housewives of Mormons.
Speaker 2: No, and that's the secret lives of Mormon lives. Wash your mouth.
Speaker 1: A judge has just dismissed the lawsuit filed by Justin Baldoni against Blake Lively.
Speaker 5: I know it.
Speaker 1: She sued him for sexual harassment and retaliation. He countersued, and the judge has thrown it out. This was a four hundred million dollar lawsuit accusing Blake Lively and her husband, Ryan Reynolds of defamation and extortion. Judge ruling that Baldoni can't sue Lively for defamation overclaims because allegations are exempt from libel claims seems pretty on its face easy to dismiss that one if that is the rule.
Speaker 5: Yeah, up, next, up next.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty. Oh.
Speaker 2: This is a good one for you.
Speaker 5: I'll let me get the music.
Speaker 1: Idiots music to My Ears for two hundred dollars, as repeated many many times.
Speaker 2: It hit by Beyonce. They're the people who run the world.
Speaker 5: That's so perfect.
Speaker 1: Thank you Jesus, Thank you Jesus for this moment.
Speaker 5: Beyonce says, they run the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all I can think of is who runs the World's not the lyric and then she answers it girls, girls. Oh that was pretty perfect, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: It was so bold.
Speaker 4: Into that one the other quick Hollywood story I wanted to tell you about outside of that, a huge justin Baldoni legal swinging a mess. Warner Brothers is going to split into two public companies by next year. Warner Brothers Discovery said that the streaming and Studios company will include Warner Brothers TV, Warner Brothers Movies, DC Studios, HBO and HBO Max, as well as all their film and TV libraries, and then the global Networks company will include CNNTNT Sports in the US and Discovery Top free to air channels in Europe, digital products like the Discovery Plus streaming service and bleacher Report, and on that news stocks. The shares of Warner Brothers jump by more than eight percent before the before the market open today and has still been in positive territory most of the time.
Speaker 1: We are following the protests, of course, and any sort of a new protests that happens today.
Speaker 2: This all began on Friday night.
Speaker 1: National Guard, of course, activated by the President amid these ice immigration raids. Troops deployed in LA operating under the standard rule for use of force, meaning de escalation is the primary focus and goal as opposed to, you know, shooting anybody. They're only authorized to use force and self defense. Deadly force is not authorized, obviously, so we'll.
Speaker 2: Stay on top of this.
Speaker 1: Right now, in downtown Los Angeles, there seems to be a large group of people at this rally.
Speaker 2: We know that's happening.
Speaker 1: Delores Werta, of course, longtime labor union crusader, ninety five years old. Now she is said to be at this rally. Always brings a big turnout whenever she is there, and so that's what we're seeing right now. A lot of SEIU T shirts, of course, the blue familiar time T shirts at these protests, a lot of signage. Everything seems to be chill. I think, is this the great park? I would imagine this grand park Grand Park downtown there, which is the park right adjacent to where you saw all the action in the streets yesterday, right in between City Hall, the backside of City Hall where all the movies are filmed and criminal courts building there. So we will stay on top of this. Again, Grand Park seems to be the scene there.
Speaker 4: President Trump is holding an event not connected to the protest, but he is taking questions right now, so if anything comes out of those, will definitely will bring those to you as well. Of course, the president's decision to call in the National Guard is, like you said, the subject of this lawsuit that has been filed today, and I don't know the timeline on it in terms of how quickly a court can turn around an issue if they decide to to issue an injunction, and then this is one of those issues that would be fast tracked through the different levels of court system. If in fact it has to go as far as the Supreme Court, it would happen very quickly. There are issues about how many National Guard troops can be called up and then how long they would be stationed throughout the streets of LA So that's all part of what is going on. But again the President is taking questions and when he'd love to see if he can here.
Speaker 5: He is a taking questions.
Speaker 6: Right, it's going to cost it's not even believable to bread and to people sitting here. Would you it was going to cost X dollars and it might be one hundred times X.
Speaker 2: Would have paid for this for about fifty million time children.
Speaker 5: You're right he was talking about he's making fun training track that never got built.
Speaker 6: We could have put Lincoln in judge with no experience. He would have done a good job.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, he's not going to do better than Shohn and Cara Zingers on my speed rail. Okay, briefly, Well, we ran out of time for Ed. We got to push Ed.
Speaker 4: That's all right if yeah, that's a good point. I was going to ask a question about Ed the zebra in Tennessee. He's been on the loose for a long time and they've finally been able to capture him. So we'll introduce you to Ed and postulate about what he might have been doing for the last few days.
Speaker 2: I would love to postulate about what Ed has been doing the past.
Speaker 5: Postulate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had to make up for he be no jeepers.
Speaker 5: The hogwash.
Speaker 2: Listen is it was leaving my mouth.
Speaker 1: As it was making its way from my head out of my mouth, I thought to myself, hogwash is the best you can come up with, and then boom, it was out living its life.
Speaker 5: Gary and Shannon will continue in just a moment.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI am six forty.
Speaker 4: President Trump was speaking from the White House, was asked several questions by reporters about the events here in southern California. That is a considerable number of people that are gathered right now by the way in Grand Park who are gearing up for well, they're taking part in what they say is a peaceful protest. They are demanding the release of a union leader who was arrested on Friday. Guy named David Huerta was arrested outside of the federal detention center because he got in the way of federal vehicles and then decided that the best way to express himself was a shoving match with a federal agent. That's not going to go very well anyway. He is in that same detention center now and is going to face federal charges. This rally, protests, demonstration, whatever that was put together by the Service Employees International Union is also being echoed in several other cities throughout throughout the country.
Speaker 1: Slice Stone has died eighty two years old. Of course lie in the family Stone my goodness, at the age of eighty two. Two of his actual siblings were in the in the band dance to the music everyday people, thank you, you know all of you know all the music.
Speaker 2: But I didn't know that. I didn't know that there was a two siblings in that in that in that group.
Speaker 5: Hence the family part.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, yeah, I guess.
Speaker 4: President Trump at the White House asked questions about the situation here in southern California where he went around Governor Newsom and deployed the National Guard to the streets of La to try to keep the peace.
Speaker 7: The president is trying to manufacture.
Speaker 4: This is a reporter actually reading from the lawsuit that was just filed by Gavin Newsom and Attorney General Rob Bonta.
Speaker 7: The President is trying to manufacture chaos and crisis on the ground for his own political ends. Federalizing the California National Guard is an abuse of the president's authority under law.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, it's interesting you watched the same clips as I did. Cars burning all over the place, people riding and by the way we stopped it, we were able to make it much better, but it still looked pretty bad. And in watching clips last night, people were saying, this is really a big problem, and until we went in, if we didn't do the job, that place would be burning down, just like the houses burned down. They were in big trouble last night, Peter, you know it, and the night before and the night before that, And I feel we had no choice. I don't want to see. I don't want to see happened, what happened so many times in this country. I watched Minneapolis burn, I watched look at what happened in so many different parts of California. You take a look at what happened in San Diego. There's so many different places where we let it burn. We want to be politically correct, We wanted to be nice. We wanted to be nice to the criminal. What you're doing is destroying the fabric of our life in this country. Now, we did the right thing. We've been given credit for by people that I would least suspect why. I would say that some of the people that came in and said, thank goodness, they said, some of them, thank god that Trump got involved. And I'm very happy I got involved, and I think Gavin, in his own way, is probably happy I got involved. You go ahead.
Speaker 7: What do you make of the fact that he says, you want a civil war on the streets of America.
Speaker 6: No, it's just the opposite. I don't want a civil war. Civil war would happen if you left it, if you left it to people like him. And I liked him, you know, I always got along with him, never had a problem with him.
Speaker 5: But he's grossly incompetent.
Speaker 1: And that is complete rational thought from Donald Trump right there, which is unusual. Now, the biggest news over the week, I guess that the comments that made the biggest headlines were from Trump's borders are Tom Homan, who appeared to I would say threat, and Gavin Newsom and Bass, but just put them on notice if they plan to continue to get in the way of federal aids. Holman said, I'll say it about anybody. Because he was specifically asked about whether his threat of detaining any obstructionist would include people like Newsom and Bass. He said, I'll say it about anybody you cross that line. It's a felony to knowingly harbor and conceal an illegal alien. It's a felony to impede law enforcement doing their job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when pressed on it, he he said that she had she being Mayor Bass hasn't done anything yet that would require him or make her arrest. A bull, but it was just a reiteration of yeah, listen, no one's above the law here.
Speaker 1: So then Newsom one night later responds angrily and calls Homan a tough guy.
Speaker 4: Oh, I have that part here. This was from last night's MSNBC interview.
Speaker 7: When the borders are said to me yesterday, he did not rule out literally arresting you get norm Mayor Bass if you interfere in his him.
Speaker 8: Yet he's a tough guy.
Speaker 3: Why wasn't he do that?
Speaker 5: He knows where to find me.
Speaker 8: But you know what, now, your hands off four year old girls that are trying to get educated, Put your hands off these poor people are just trying to get live their lives. Man trying to live their lives, paying their tax has been here ten years.
Speaker 5: The fear, the horror, the hell is this guy come after me? Arrest me? Let's just get it over with, tough guy. You don't give a damn him faking. I care about my community. I care about this community.
Speaker 1: Him faking, almost using the F word was was good, good acting theater for me. Now, Okay, so Trump was just asked today about that comment. Last night, Trump's on the White House lawn and he's asked about Newsom's provocation of Homan, whether Homan should arrest the governor, and Trump said, I would do it if I were Tom. I think it's great. Now Tom Holman is going to be on our station talking to John in about fifteen minutes. Yeah, so it's gonna it's all teeing up quite nicely. John COBALT's show coming up. You're gonna have to listen because this is all just percolating. It's all coming to the surface right now. And I'm anxious to see because this line of attack has been ratcheting up. I'm interested to see what he has to say. Following Trump saying just do it, arrest him, Gavin saying come get me, tough guy, I'm super interested to see what the take is.
Speaker 4: Well, Tom Holman enough is law enforcement savvy enough, his experience and his different jobs, he knows that he's not going to arrest the governor unless he actually no.
Speaker 1: But it'll be interesting to see what his line of rhetoric is at this point.
Speaker 4: I'm curious is who's I don't know if this is the right term. Who's the first one to blink here? They're just going to continue to ratchet up the war of words, going after each other. I could arrest him if he gets in my way. Oh yeah, tough guy. You know where you can find me. Does Tom Holman come back and go meet me at the bike racks out?
Speaker 2: I think Tom Hullman's got to be the adult in the room.
Speaker 4: He has an opportunity to and that would be Listen, whoever wants to take the high road here, it's.
Speaker 5: Wide open, no traffic on that freeway.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 4: The ongoing discussions about these immigration protests here in La. There are about a thousand people, it looks like at least, that have gathered at Grand Park there between the big municipal buildings, city hall, county courts, county building back tucked back in there. They are demanding the release of David Guerta, who is the president of the Service Employees International Union California, scheduled to make it a court appearance today in federal court because he was arrested on Friday after getting into a shoving match with federal ah outside the detention center who were trying to create space so that the vehicles could actually pull into the detention center without people getting in the way.
Speaker 2: There was a.
Speaker 1: Report earlier that according to Northern Command, there were five hundred five hundred Marines prepared to deploy to Los Angeles. CNN is going with sources say that five hundred Marines are being mobilized in response to LA protests. And again, as I said starting the show, it kind of becomes the conversation of if you've been around here long enough, you know that there are immigration protests from time to time, much bigger than the ones we saw over the weekend. I'm not saying they were insignificant, but this was something that our LAPD has been trained and retrained and overtrained to deal.
Speaker 2: With and to corral.
Speaker 1: There's been a lot of complaints from people that they did not respond as quickly as they should, as quickly as some people would have liked them to respond. But make no doubt about it, the LAPD knows how to deal with this kind of a skirmish, shall we say, calling in the National Guard? Maybe political, Like I said, Trump does not know that we have these.
Speaker 2: I don't think he would know. Why would he know?
Speaker 1: Going back decades at Los Angeles is kind of where these immigration protests are from time to time. Maybe he responded with National Guard because, like you said earlier, he saw what went on in Portland and in other cities under Biden's watch, and he said, I'm not going to allow that to happen. I'm not going to allow protesters to tear around the streets of America. But the idea of mobilizing marines, now technically it was his watch. That's right, that's right, but he to that end.
Speaker 4: It was one of the things that he campaigned upon, which was that we have seen the degradation of America's urban centers and we're losing them to things like this. We're losing them to a normal every day I should say, every day, a normal, peaceful, loud demonstration that then turns into violence against police officers, vandalizing people's personal property, the torching of way Mos, the destruction of every square inch of storefront that now becomes either broken windows or tagged with graffiti. I was amazed that they got that freeway cleaned up as quickly as they did overnight to allow traffic on the one on one Again. Of the thousand or so people that there are that are in Grand Park, some of them have made their way down to the detention center once again. And we can see there in this crosswalk that is which is about three blocks. It's not that far, but it is one of those it's one of those indications that this you know, as yes, the plan may have been all along for them to walk from Grand Park to the detention center because it is such a short walk.
Speaker 1: They do it every protest, every rally that is in the area of City Hall, Grand Park, that area right there, they always make their way to the Federal Detention Center because it's two blocks away. It's it's a it's a four minute walk there. And I just want to say, to be wary of the echo chamber that is Twitter for the rest of the country.
Speaker 2: And we touched on this as well.
Speaker 1: This is a very small area of Los Angeles and LA is not one specific hub as you know, we saw it with the fires as well.
Speaker 2: La is burning.
Speaker 1: Well, there's two parts of LA that are on fire, yes, but the entire city is not burning. Just like this protest, it is isolated to just this very small area of downtown where most federal and county and local employees were told not to come to work, and they've been told not to come to work every time there's been a protest planned.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's interesting because when when Mayor Bass said that earlier today, she got some pushback for suggesting that this that she was somehow minimizing what happened over the last couple of days.
Speaker 5: And that's that's not to minimize anything that happened.
Speaker 4: And everybody that was, you know, that broke the law, absolutely smack them upside the head and get them out of here. It's just that in terms of safety and what is going on in the city of Los Angeles, the protest that you're seeing, I mean from the Waimo taxis that were torched yesterday, it was less than a block away from where those CHP units were on the freeway just below there that were damaged as well. And then the people who had to be escorted off of the bridge. Therefore, I mean it was all in a really relatively small, small area. That's not saying that it wasn't important, it wasn't impactful, and it wasn't dangerous because it was all of those we've seen much bigger, but we have seen bigger in many cases. Reminder, by the way, it's Disneyland Resorts seventieth celebration, and it's not a celebration without you.
Speaker 5: With all the sites and laughter in fun, everyone's excited.
Speaker 4: KFI wants to give you a chance to win a family four pack of one day one park tickets to whether Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park to join in on the limited time event. Keep listening to KFI because that's where you're going to find out about your chance to celebrate with us. Offering subject to restrictions and change without notice.
Speaker 1: All right, John Cobelt coming up next. Tom Homan is his guest. The man of the weekend, i'd say, of the hour. But this is a name that has risen to the top of the headlines in terms of going after Newsom and Bass for failing to do anything, in fact, not paying attention to what ICE's directive has been in California and Los Angeles, so we'll hear directly from him because the President says this is the guy that should arrest. Gavin Newsom and Karen Bess, we'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 5: They drive everybody lessens.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show, you can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app