Speaker 1: Happenings. The group called Generation X, one of the leading punk bands of Great Britain at the time.
Speaker 2: We saw him on MTV in the eighties. He became Billy Idol, a star.
Speaker 1: It's his birthday today.
Speaker 3: Desert came dancing, that's not litter, Dangon came cop she said, Baby six Corner.
Speaker 4: Where the.
Speaker 1: Man with the fifth and the sneers.
Speaker 5: And all.
Speaker 2: The title track from the double platinum.
Speaker 6: Rebel Yellow album.
Speaker 1: In nineteen eighty three, I Want my MTV Billy Idols is sixty nine Today. It's hard to believe it is November thirtieth, last day of the month, twenty twenty four before we look ahead to look back at significant events had people tied to this particular date in history, including but not limited to these, the ceremonial end of Our Revolutionary War on this date in seventeen eighty two, when the US, the brand new United States, and Great Britain signed preliminary peace articles in Paris for ending that war. The Treaty of Paris would be signed a year later in September eighty three, but this was the beginnings of what became our country. Nineteen thirty six, on this date in London's Crystal Palace Exhibit Hall destroyed by a massive fire. Nineteen ninety three, President Bill Clinton signed the Brady Bill, which required a five day waiting period for handgun purchases and background checks of people who wanted to buy them. November thirtieth, two thousand and four, Japan, Jeopardy fans saw Ken Jennings lose into seventy four game winning streak. Let's see Israel approved the construction of three thousand homes and Jewish settlements twenty twelve. That didn't set well with some. A year later, movie fans saw Paul Walker, star of Fast and Furious, killed in a single car accident north of Los Angeles. Walker's friend Roger Rhodis, who was driving the car, also died, was only forty. Let's see this is the date in twenty twenty two, just two years ago when House Democrats he elected jakeem Jeffries to be the first black American to had a major political party in Congress. Woody Allen is eighty nine. Today, filmmaker Ridley Scott is eighty seven. Let's see historian and screenwriter Jeffrey C. Ward eighty four. Today, Terrence Malick is eighty one. Playwright David Mamett is seventy seven, Mandy Patinkin is seventy two, mentioned Billy Idol. Michael Beschloss, the Great Historian is also sixty nine, sharing a birthday with Billy Idyl. Colin Mokery Funny Guy is sixty seven. Ben Stiller is fifty nine. Today, Christy nom celebrates her fifty third birthday. Clay Aiken, former American Idol star, has a birthday today. Alicia Cuthbert is forty two. Chrissy Teagan I like to look at her as long as she doesn't open her mouth and talk, and chess Grandmaster Magnus Carlson turns thirty four. If it is your birthday, I hope it is absolutely the best birthday anyone could imagine. Doing the things you love to do with the people you love to do them with, and that is truly my wish for you. It is five forty one good morning, seven undter WLW almost December morning, sun and afternoon clouds. Today I will only reach thirty one, mostly cloudy overnight with some flurries and snowshowers possible mainly south of the city. Tomorrow, sun and clouds thirty one and sun and cloud mix on Monday with a chance of flurries and high then of thirty two. It is nineteen right now Friday night looks on Saturday even getting down to the nitty gritty and high school football playoffs Liam Tomlinson with all the details.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know you had a good season when you're playing into the cold this late of the year. The Tri state area had five teams advanced to their respective state championships. Beachwood handled Lexington Christian Academy forty four to twenty four. They played in the Kentucky two way State Championship against Owensborough Catholic. Cooper top Thailands sixty one to twenty three. Highlands led seventeen to seven and a half time. Cooper plays Warren Central in the five A State Championship. Moler defeated Centerville forty nine to ten. They will face all in Tanji Liberty in the Division one state Championship. Covington Catholic fell to Franklin County fourteen to ten. Anderson marches down and scores with under one minute remaining in the ball game to defeat Big Walton twenty eight to twenty four.
Speaker 1: They face Avon in the Division two state championship.
Speaker 7: Tat fell to Indian Valley twenty nine to twenty and Ryle makes their first state championship appearance in two thousand and six with a thirty five to seven win over Great Crossing. It's a rematch of the state championship matchup form Most six against Trinity Those Madness. In college football last night, Georgia defeated Georgia Tech forty four to forty two, and it took eight overtimes for the Bulldogs to get done.
Speaker 1: Eight overtimes.
Speaker 7: Georgia trail twenty seven to thirteen with five minutes left in the ballgame and managed to send the game to ot thanks to a quick touchdown of fumble by the Georgia Tech quarterback, then another quick touchdown. Iowa defeated Nebraska thanks to a fifty three yard field goal was time expired.
Speaker 1: Go guys.
Speaker 7: They won the game with only five first downs and trailed ten to nothing at the end of the first half. Typical typical Iowa football. Go out, what else we got? Leave big time college football Slate. Today it's Rivalry Week and Ohio State Michigan at noon.
Speaker 1: Kentucky Louisville. Also at noon, you can listen to the Kentucky Louisville game.
Speaker 7: On ESPN fifteen thirty you see football ends the season two nights. That game is at seven. You can listen to all the covers right here on seven hundred WLW. And the Bengals play tomorrow against the Steelers. Kickoff is that one. Pre game coaching is at nine. You catch all the best banks covered right here on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: You are warning we are together again. Gary Jemp Walker with you on the Saturday morning edition. And wow, kind of wistful about the end of my favorite holiday of the entire year. We got Christmas coming up. Dig that love New Year's Eve, but Thanksgiving is a number one with me and always has been. And my apologies because for the first time in a very long time, well first time since the COVID year in twenty twenty, because they wouldn't let us open up the bar, then I did not do Thanksgiving dinner at Huddles as people have thirteen of the last fourteen years. And a tip of the cap to everyone who feeds people at at any time of the year, but especially during this holiday. See and because I truly know what kind of work goes into it. And it's not an easy thing to be very rewarding and gratifying when you see the appreciation of people who might not have any other way to enjoy and celebrate the holiday. But it was a year at home with christ To two point zero and Brooksy the cat dog, and a very few friends and neighbors, and it was the same amount of work, only not the transportation and not the volume of food we usually do. But for those of you who have joined us in the past, and we're disappointed, I am truly sorry, but I hope you had a bountiful Thanksgiving, regardless of my participation or not. And all the people who get together and feed strangers this time of the year, whether it's you know, the charities or the rest instaurants who opened their doors to anyone, to the Jose House in Newport, and it's countless others, we're thankful and grateful for you, as am I. With that said, it's time for somemometry action.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Mametry, Good morning baby.
Speaker 1: How was your Thanksgiving? Sweetheart?
Speaker 8: Well, I didn't need it all week because of my triple maidor to that major surgery my dear, my mouth. I not only have one jaw bone. I was gifted with two jawbone surgeries, and he took the three. I'll come shrap now all in front of my mouth. So I had three marriages or surgeries in eighty two minutes. And I'm able to sing for you today. So I am truly thankful and grateful.
Speaker 2: Well, God bless you guys, saying I can think, Oh, all right, you.
Speaker 8: Sing, It's in my heart. The melody of God, It's in my heart.
Speaker 9: Humility of your love, It's in my heart. How you die to set me free, It's in my heart.
Speaker 8: It's in.
Speaker 10: My heart.
Speaker 9: I love you, Jesus A man. I love you, America, half of us. Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: I love you, Amity, and I feel great.
Speaker 8: I just don't have my voice.
Speaker 1: Sweetie. It's okay. I think your voice is beautiful this morning, especially since you're glorifying our God.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Love all right, take care and HeLa. We'll talk to you soon, mammetry after successful but apparently very very involved jaw surgery early this week. God bless her. Dick is hanging on and we will talk to him in moments on seven under WLW for some picking and some granted on a Saturday morning, and that means we head nor to our friend in Dayton. That'd be Dick from Dayton, and he's here, right here, right now. Good morning, Dick. What's going on, buddy? I'm good.
Speaker 2: Are you enjoying this nice frigid weather?
Speaker 11: Oh geez, it got cold?
Speaker 1: You know, Yes it did, Yes, it did. Do me well, I tell you what, Dave from Dayton has to know a couple important things from you, some dick picks, if you will.
Speaker 2: But before we get to that, I wanted to announce.
Speaker 1: That our friend Dave Backwidth Backgrath Backrath from Dayton, your friend and mine, yes, had a fantastic Thanksgiving with all of his kids home and the announcement of his oldest daughter getting ready to deliver his fourth grandchild.
Speaker 2: She is pregnant. It's a girl. Congratulations today.
Speaker 1: What do you think? Yeah?
Speaker 11: Great, guy, I'm hoping that the weather gets good.
Speaker 1: We can see you around, you know, round the thirtieth right today is the thirtieth You mean the thirtieth, Well, I'm not the.
Speaker 11: Thirtieth around your anniversary down there?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that'll be the twenty eighth anniversary if it actually if we make it that long, and that'll be sometime in February of March, and I hope you can make it too. All right, who wins today's Ohio State Michigan game?
Speaker 11: I say the Buckeyes will win twenty seven twenty four.
Speaker 1: I could have predicted your prediction, all right. Now, do the Bengals have a chance to beat Pittsburgh and run the table and make the playoffs? You're talking about playoffs?
Speaker 11: No, but they're going to beat Pittsburgh. I think they'll beat them thirty one to twenty four.
Speaker 1: Oh a whole touchdown?
Speaker 6: Huh?
Speaker 1: Yes, Well, I don't know. Pittsburgh's got that much offense, so that might be a little high on the Steelers side. But there are a lot of Steelers fans in town. Do you have any special message for Steelers fans who are in town for the game?
Speaker 11: Oh, Gary, Yeah, no, I don't. I don't want to talk about that.
Speaker 1: Okay, you don't even want to flip them the flying finger of fate? No, okay, that's good, you're a nice man. Anything else going on? Note, Dick?
Speaker 11: Oh, I have a little bit. It depended on the weather. This time of year, we don't play much the weather gets a cold and stuff.
Speaker 1: You know, so you can't you can't play music when it's cold. Is that what you're telling me?
Speaker 11: Well, I'm going to go Monday, but kettering, we're off till I think we go back to ninth. You know, we practice, okay, weather permitting, and then the strummer or the string vendors will play possibly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what about it?
Speaker 1: What about a Christmas concert? Dick?
Speaker 11: Come on, Oh, I'm forgetting u. The Beaver Creek Strummers will be back Thursday, weather permitting. They're supposed to have a concert. Oh in about about a week or so.
Speaker 1: Okay, you don't know where that is?
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's a the Beaver Creek Senior Citizen Center. I'll let you know next week.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Dick, you do that, and do me one more favorite. Say good night Dick, good night.
Speaker 12: Joy Jeff.
Speaker 1: Good old Dick from David still can't get him to say good night Dick, though we continue. Hey, pretty November the thirtieth, twenty twenty four, I'm Gary Jeff Walker, and aren't you glad you're not? Many have said the same. It is time to get things rolling in That means Dave from Harrison is standing by with some bad dad jokes.
Speaker 13: Remember when you ran away and I got on my knees and begged you not to leave because I go, but sir, well you left me anyhow.
Speaker 14: And then the.
Speaker 1: Day's got worse and worse. And now you see, I've gone completely out of my mind, absolutely totally out of my mind coming to take me away. And here we are in our post Thanksgiving report from the One the Only Dave from Harrison. Good morning, Dave, Good morning Garrett Jeff.
Speaker 4: Happy December Eve to you, my man.
Speaker 2: That's right, it's a d we December Eve weekend.
Speaker 4: As you would say, there you go, there you go, and what a thankful week it's been, you know, Dave.
Speaker 1: Thing that maybe Dave doesn't want everyone to know he has an incredible clan. The family is it looks like the United Nations when they take pictures together, and there are many, many of them, and it is just did you have a wonderful time? And did you get to see almost everybody or everybody?
Speaker 15: Dave?
Speaker 4: Yes, extremely blessed with friends and family and and just all the blessings.
Speaker 2: Yes, do you have anything for me?
Speaker 16: Well, Gary, Jeff, I was wondering if you might know what's small and red and.
Speaker 2: Whispers what is small and red? And whispers Dave.
Speaker 4: A horse radish?
Speaker 6: A horse radish.
Speaker 1: Like like, Dave, Dave, stop while you're behind Super Liam a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 16: What's the difference between deer nuts and beer nuts?
Speaker 1: Deer nuts and beer nuts?
Speaker 16: Tell me, well, deer nuts are just under a buck and uh, and beer nuts are about forty nine cents. Okay, So the two guys are talking, an American guy and a French guy.
Speaker 2: An American guy and a French guy.
Speaker 16: And the American guy he says, do you play video games?
Speaker 4: And the French guy says we.
Speaker 1: Hey, Dave, Dave, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 17: Jokes told by Dave from Harrison are not necessarily considered funny by the staff, management, or advertisers of seven hundred WLW or his parent company, iHeartMedia. If these attempts at humor have caused you to roll your eyes, made your im me churn, or we have considered the entire exercise to be a colossal waste of time, we deeply apologize. Now back to our irregular programming well.
Speaker 2: And we continue on this Saturday morning with our friend who likes to play with knobs and tubes and wires.
Speaker 4: Old radio.
Speaker 2: Rick, you've heard of the spirit of the radio.
Speaker 1: He is the man that makes the lights come on, and he's here with us on seven hundred WLW Rick Washburn, good morning, and how are you, my friend?
Speaker 16: Good morning Gary, Jeff. Well, it is cold outside, so tig are outdoor cat. The closest thing we have to proceed is onset. He doesn't want to go outside, so he is. He is a handful this morning. So hopefully now how old?
Speaker 11: How old?
Speaker 16: My head knocked me up?
Speaker 1: How old is it?
Speaker 16: Oh, he's just a kit and he's twelve.
Speaker 1: You have some of the oldest cats in recorded history at that house, so, which is a great thing if you're if you're a cat lover or a person who has cats, you love it when they get up there into the teens and then you know, occasionally the twenties, because uh yeah, they're your buddies, they're your friends.
Speaker 16: And he's the youngest of the whole clian and we always call him the kitten. And I know he's obviously gotten bigger over the years. But may got one of those Facebook notices of remember this memory from twelve years ago, and there he is as a kit, and it's like, wow, holy blank, yeah, no doubt really.
Speaker 1: So what are you working on this morning? Of anything? How are you receiving us? And give me the full report.
Speaker 16: Solid five by five. You're coming in on a nineteen thirty seven Filko. This is a model thirty seven six thirty X console. It's a three band AM and shortwave with the infamous or maybe not so infamous shadow dial tuner, which they'll go to their credit did not want to pay RCA for patent rights to the magic ittube, so they made their own. And it's basically little orange opening and two little fingers kind of come together or and I guess the way it works. It's partly mechanical, which is kind of cool, but it's kind of an opaque little or oval dial and this little needle moves back and forth, and the faster it moves, the wider the black range blocks out the light. I know I'm describing this worst ever, but basically it's like two fingers coming together or moving apart, and that's how you can tell if you've tuned in the radio eyes and just listen.
Speaker 1: That kind of helps to two fingers coming together means you've got a signal right, exactly right, Okay.
Speaker 16: All right, so I'm eighty dollars do this thing today would be about seventeen hundred and fifty bucks. And then the words of Judge right hold and ruthless people for the seven people other than myself that saw that movie, just effing finance it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing to in nineteen thirty seven. Eighty dollars.
Speaker 1: Is equal seventeen hundred dollars thereabouts today, and that's without Biden inflation.
Speaker 16: So, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: So it's it was quite an investment to buy a radio for the family, you know, and then a couple of years later they're trying to foist a TV on you, which I can't even imagine what the price of those first models was for a family. And that's why not everyone on the block had a radio that nice anyway, and certainly not everyone on the block would have a TV. I mean, there were times I remember listening to older relatives say, well, yeah, the mcginley's were the only ones on the block that had a TV. We'd go out over and peer through their front window, keeping Tom TV because they had a TV.
Speaker 16: But yeah, the radios were the main source of entertainment and especially news and so forth. You could go to the dealer and they treat it like selling the car would be today.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean to put it in perspective, think about what the average person's salary was, the average salary of the median salary of nineteen thirty seven. We were still in the Great Depression, and so it was really a luxury to have a radio.
Speaker 16: Absolutely. Hey, you want to go to the catalog.
Speaker 1: Sure, let's hear the description of this beautiful.
Speaker 16: Beast American and foreign. That's an interesting start until it says three tuning rangions with glowing beam, tuning range indicator, pen toed audio system. Well, I know that's sold all of us now, because you know what that means. No, Like, okay, the kind of tube?
Speaker 4: Does that matter?
Speaker 16: I love this fil Co color dial with fifty percent greater separation on foreign stations now number one. This is kind of cool because the tuning dial, the tuning knob, it's a two part knob. If you tune the center part, it's fine tuning. You tune the outer part, it's more coast course tuning. Excuse me, that works really well. The color dial, yes, it is a color dial. It's orange. It's not a second color to it, but I love this. The inclined sounding board filks. All the Filco models illustrated on this page feature the famous Pilco. The famous Pilco inclined sounding board the greatest single advance in scientific sound reproduction. Though it's marvels, you can enjoy a truly lifelike reproduction of speech and music. The slope directs the high noise treble up to your ears, preserving the sparkling brilliance of the original. The large sounding board area faithfully reproduces a low noise base, thus preserving the depth and snority of the original sonorty. Yeah, that's what it says, result clear lifelike reception as if the artists were present in quote in person unquote. Now, I'm sorry that your nineteen forty one Filco does not feature this particular option. However, if you go outside and find somebody that has a brick, you can borrow, put it in front of the cabinet and lean it back, slide and there you go.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. I know Kamala Harris wasn't alive at the time, but it sounds like she wrote that description in the catalog. That is a word relative.
Speaker 16: No doubt it was a relative.
Speaker 1: Okay, Rick, listen, have a fantastic rest of the weekend, and we'll talk to you hopefully next Saturday, if not before. All right, old man, take care, O love you too, Old Radio Rick at gmail dot com. If you'd like to get in touch with mister Washburn and have your old classic beauty shined up and ready to roll.
Speaker 18: As you work throughout the day, we'll see Temptress climb to the lobe. Maybe mid thirties. Chances for snow move in late, but out of here before you wake up tomorrow morning. From you severe weather station. I'm nine first Warning Meteorologist Cameron Harton on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Night yet on Saturday morning, and it is finally Steeler's week. Liam Angles host the Steelers tomorrow afternoon.
Speaker 7: Kickoff is set for one pre game covers because at nine thirty right here on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Have some exciting college football Yesterday and today it's rivalry week as we know, Yeah, rivalry.
Speaker 7: We kicked off with a bang between Georgia and Georgia Tech. Georgia top the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. Forty four to forty two. It took eight overtimes to decide a winner. In that one, Georgia trail twenty seven to thirteen with five minutes left in the ball game, and they managed to send the game to overtime and from there it was just two So after the second overtime, you have to do two point conversions, right, and it was nobody wanted to win at first, it seemed like, but eventually Georgia was able to get it done.
Speaker 1: Speaking of nobody scoring, Iowa Nebraska was a barn burner of sorts.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Iowa defeated Nebraska thanks to a fifty three yard field goal as time expired. Iowa trailed ten to nothing in the first half. They had five first downs and they managed to win this game against Nebraska at home. That's Big ten football and the cold.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Today, we've got a full slate of great games too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Rivalry week, unreal slate of games. Tonight you see host TCU for Senior Night kickoff e set for six. Pre game coverage begins at five cats all the action right here on seven hundred WLW Kentucky host Louis at noon. You can listen to that game on ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 1: Got Vanderbilt Tennessee and of course the big noon kickoff in Columbus at the Shoe, Ohio State versus that team from up north.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Ohio State feels like they're due to give Michigan one. It's been a couple of years and a lot of those Ryan Day trying to change the narrative about his tenure at Ohio State with that win.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's do some high school scores from last night.
Speaker 7: Yees State semi finals in Kentucky and Ohio and the Tri State had five teams advanced to their respective state championships. Beachwood handled Lexington Christian Academy forty four to twenty four. They will play in the two A Championship versus Owensborough Catholic. Cooper top Thailand sixty one to twenty three. Highlands led seventeen to seven at halftime and Cooper was able to turn it on in the second half. Moeller defeated Centerville forty nine to ten. They'll face owing Tangy Liberty in the Division one state Championship. Comington Catholic fell to Franklin County fourteen to ten, Anderson with under a minute left marches down the field to defeat Big Walnut twenty eight to twenty four. They faced Avon, Big Walnut, Yeah, Big Walnut High School, Big Fan Alright faces Avon and Division two championship tap fell to Indian Valley twenty nine to twenty and Rile makes their first state championship appearance in two thousand and six with a thirty five to seven win over Great Crossing. Their reward is Trinity in the six A state title game.
Speaker 19: I'm toasting you, sit, honey, we may meet through You'll never care me com play. L's were the whiskey grown lander James.
Speaker 1: I'm blue chasing those blues away and there's no better place to do it than at a bar. On a Saturday morning at six thirty seven, we had East my friends to how now Brown County, the lovely village of Ripley, Ohio and the Gang at Brookies. Good morning, Gang.
Speaker 20: Morning.
Speaker 1: So this is a big weekend for the oil baron of Brown County. His Ohio State Buckeyes are hosting that team from up north, whom I will mention Ohio State is not beaten in a while.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: They've also become known as the Cheaters up North.
Speaker 1: But you know, uh huh, well, let's let's not make excuses. Let's not make excuses for your past misfortune against Michigan.
Speaker 6: Doug.
Speaker 15: I call him the cheaters up North team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I we we got that the first time. I understand. Uh, how does how does Ryan Day keep his job if he doesn't beat Michigan today, Doug, that's the question.
Speaker 5: I think the overall no keeping yell is out there, well is out there.
Speaker 4: They couldn't match that.
Speaker 1: I mean, what match the win loss against Michigan in the last three or four games.
Speaker 15: I know, I know John Cooper had its problems.
Speaker 11: That's right.
Speaker 1: We got rid of Cooper too. Cooper win ten streat games and lose to Michigan and said you're out, get out of here.
Speaker 6: I know how it works, all right, rough, it's been rough.
Speaker 2: Hey, but today it all ends. Today it all ends right.
Speaker 4: Yes, let's hope. Hey, there's all kinds of things happening. Holy, you just won't believe everything tonight.
Speaker 5: Joe Collin will be here at Brookies next Wednesday is the Queen of Herts and that'll be right around.
Speaker 1: One hundred thousand for that One's cool.
Speaker 4: And I know this is the biggest event of the whole.
Speaker 5: Weekend is maybe kind of in progress that as we speak, the big Ginko tree just east of the downtown area is beginning to lose its leaves this morning.
Speaker 1: No kidding.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you want, you want to watch.
Speaker 5: A cool time lapse thing, go park across from it at the bank and watch Ricky Scott's front yard become.
Speaker 21: Yeah, I thought you.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to tell me that Jerry Jones is quit drinking. I didn't know what you're going to say.
Speaker 5: Oh, that'll never happen, but at least you have to stay in your car, probably to watch his sea vests.
Speaker 4: So well, it's just like rain.
Speaker 20: They just rained down the yellow It's just just one in my yard too, and it's half gone.
Speaker 1: What's that weather rock like Sherry, it's very.
Speaker 20: Fringing and Cole I was down on Front Street, parked down there this morning for a little listen to Yeah, boy that wind.
Speaker 6: It was chilly.
Speaker 20: And the museum down there is getting ready to light up their Christmas trees this weekend for those who have passed on. And there must be one hundred trees down there. I tried to count them, and so that's going to be a big event. They're gonna light those tomorrow, I think. And anyway, it's cold, cold, cold, so wear your heavy coat.
Speaker 1: Well, there is a flurry of activities and mister Bonns and I wish your buckeye's the best, but thank you. And recent history says it could be tough at the shoe today.
Speaker 11: Don't say that.
Speaker 6: Don't say that, all right.
Speaker 1: Man, y'all take care of have a great weekend. The gang had Brookies in Ripley and Steve from Etna with a pithy phone calling news of the week just minutes away. It's in places this morning and it'll feel like no warmer than the mid twenties by this afternoon. The weather rock has spoken Hi today thirty one, and there are some snow flurries possible tonight and Monday as we look.
Speaker 2: Ahead Lay ninth les on Saturday one.
Speaker 1: It's high school football playoff time. Liam Tomlinson with the details.
Speaker 7: State semi finals yesterday in Ohio and Kentucky. Beachwood handled Lexington Christian Academies forty four to twenty four. They played in the two way championship versus Allensborough Catholic Cooper Top Thailands sixty one to twenty three. Highlands led seventeen and seven and a half time, but Cooper turned it on in the second half, and they will play in the five A State Championship. More defeated Centerville forty nine to ten, will face all In Tangi Liberty in the Division one state Championship. Cumington Catholic filled the Franklin County fourteen to ten, and Anderson down with under a minute left in the ball game, marches down and scores a touchdown defeat Big Walnut High School twenty twenty four. They face Avon in the Division two Championship taff Felt Indian Valley twenty nine to twenty and Ryle defeated Great Crossing thirty five to seven, and they'll face Trendy in the six A state title game.
Speaker 1: Before we got some really hot college football rivalry games today. Yeah, this one not as much as a rivalry. But you see host TCU for Senior Night.
Speaker 7: Kickoff is set for six pre getting covered becaust of five catroll the action right here on seven hundred WLW. Kentucky host Louisville at noon for the Governor's Cup. You can listen to that game on ESPN fifteen thirty. Ohio State hosts Michigan at noon. You got Alabama Auburn, you got Tennessee Vanderbilt, which some years that's not a game, but this year, with Diego Povey in the way, this Bavy team's playing, anything can happen.
Speaker 1: Love me some doors.
Speaker 7: Last night, Kentucky defeated Georgia State and Basketball one of five to seventy six.
Speaker 1: There you go, Steam from Edna hanging on the Black Friday sales event is here at my castro c Ford in Milford.
Speaker 5: Really funny.
Speaker 22: Baby, it's cold outside, But baby, it's cold outside.
Speaker 1: Van Hoven at you dropping him. I'll hold your hands that just like Gino Marchetti. Beautiful the season and the forecast. Baby, it's cold outside, but it's getting ready to heat up because Steve from Edda is here to grace us with some Thanksgiving stuff.
Speaker 2: I guess I have no idea. Good morning, Steven, how are you?
Speaker 1: Good morning Gary, Jeff, and audience.
Speaker 21: As your Saturday Morning scribe, I'll call out conservatives too when they go overboard good. This week I found out that failed Boss of the Year Ellen DeGeneres is dragging her husband wife comfort dog whatever Portia de Rossi to England to escape the alleged tyranny of the Trump administration. I categorically oppose Trump deporting Ellen, which I view as a political stunt, because we all know anybody who has ever worked for Ellen she is an obnoxious ingrate and should burn in Hell. Thus Trump picked the most unlikable person he could find to be the first depoor t But since you cannot deport a live person to Hell, Trump and Ellen's attorneys apparently agreed to allow her to go to England because she feels she will have more freedom living under a monarchy than a constitutional republic here in the United States. And I think we're all agreed that Ellen has always thought of herself as royalty. Ah, that's for you, Ellen. And since the labor government over there wants to revise or scrap all the current sex laws in Britain, she will be right at home. She's already married her comfort dog. Lame Turkey. President Joe Biden honoring a long standing tradition, and was expected to pardon a Turkey this week. Most of you thought I would descend into a cheap joke and claim it was hunter Biden, But you would be wrong. Clearly, Joe would be moving too soon, because God knows what crap first Kid might come up with between now and January twentieth. So at eleven fifty nine am on Inauguration Day and not a day sooner, the prodigal son will be absolved of all of his political sins. No this week, no pardon for anybody by Joe. He found out that the tank up the Thanksgiving Gobbler has led a January sixth insurrection at a turkey farm run by homeless people who have taken over Central Park in New York. So basement Biden got New York City Prosecutor Extraordinaire Alvin Bragg, who claims turkeys are the reason he's a fat slob, to file riot charges on Tom Turkey, and the same judge who went after Trump has forced Tom to post a five million dollar bail bond or be jailed in a kitchen of a Manhattan restaurant, which we all agree is pretty much a death sentence. Oh, still coughing and choking on Ellen. Speaking of birthdays, Gary Jeff Ellen, degenerate, I'm sorry, degenerous is sixty six and catch this carinn Jean Pierre is fifty Yes, the Big Five.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 21: When I heard that, I thought they confused it with her IQ and they used to say Ronald Reagan could hide his age. Wow. Carinn is leaving the sinking ship early. She signed out. She signed on this week to be the pr person for the Menendez brothers who are still in the slammer for killing their parents. The boys have trotted out that abused child defense, which any lawyer will tell you is not a defense for murder unless you kill mom and dad in the act of physical abuse and you can claim self defense. And refusing to give you the car keys to the BMW boys is not abuse, it's good parenting. And you can't get away with killing your parents and ask the judge for mercy because you're now orphans. Speaking of bad guys named Benendez, Bob the former senator from New Jersey who is fighting those bribery charges may be able to plead insanity. He asked his lawyers, and I quote, if I kill my wife who spilled the beams on my capers, can I claim I'm an orphan?
Speaker 6: I think so.
Speaker 21: This week's Hutzpah Award goes to Meeko, which is suing the United States in American courts for manufacturing guns used by the drug cartels in Mexico. Hey, Jose, how about we suing you for transporting into the US fentanyl, rapists, murders, and drug and human traffickers. You know you could take our guns and subdue those bad guys while they're still in Mexico, couldn't you if you really wanted to? Oh my goodness, Well, Gary Jeff, it's only a couple of weeks and we celebrate Jesus' birthday. Hey, everybody, enjoy the holidays.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Gary, Jeff, Steve, I'm grateful for you. Thank you, sir.
Speaker 18: Wunny, but wind chills making it feel close to the single digits. As you work throughout the day, we'll see tempters climb to the lobe, maybe mid thirties. Chances for snow move in late, but out of here before you wake up tomorrow morning. From a severe weather station, I'm nine first Warning Meteorologist Cameron Harton on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 23: We have seventeen degrees and Cincinnati next to update coming up at seven thirty. I'm matt Resnewsradio seven hundred WLW DO News.
Speaker 10: Twenty four hours a day he was Radio seven hundred wlw.
Speaker 24: Insulate your home with US Insulation call three eight one three six two six three eight one FOAM or on the web at USA Insulation dot Net into.
Speaker 1: Another hour of the Saturday Morning Nation for this Saturday, November the thirtieth, twenty twenty four. I'm Gary Jeff Walker, and you are you and that is perfectly fine with me. And Steve Shulty did correct me. Mister Simpson was not part of the celebration in the studio when Cole Rane won the state championship twenty years ago.
Speaker 21: But I see tree so green.
Speaker 25: Red roses too, I seen them blue, and I think to myself.
Speaker 1: What I wonder, Oh what a wonderful world it is. And yes, Stephen, I remember very well, Steve uh you bringing matth to toe Shulty in the studio when they the Cole Rane Cardinals had won a state championship. I can't believe it's twenty years ago?
Speaker 16: Is that is that right?
Speaker 1: I mean geez, I mean talk about time flying by that That was that was nuts. It was great and very very uh very special memory for I know for you, especially as as a dad of a state champion.
Speaker 26: You got it. So today in this season of Thanksgiving, brought to you by the CO two Coalition, dot org gives us five things climate realists can be thankful.
Speaker 11: For this year.
Speaker 26: Okay, Their CO two is feeding the world, increasing carbon dioxide levels of turbocharging, plant and crop productivity. Baseball two hundred city lay up studies over many, many years has showed that increasing CO two concentrations by three hundred parts per million will increase crops studied by an average of for some crops actually double. Number two warming minor warming trend is not unusual, though unprecedented minor arming began more than three hundred years ago, lifting us out of the death dealing cold of the Little Ice Age from twelve fifty to eight fifty. In fact, that period from the late sixteen hundreds of the early seventeen hundreds was a brutally cold period called the modern or minimum. Number three. Sea level rise is small, non accelerating. Modern sea level rise began in the eighteen hundreds, well before industrialization and the rise of CO two, and continues at about the seven same rate today, which is about seven inches per century. Number four are human advancement. Warmer is better than colder. Before climate science has become politicized and lipinized. Warm periods were referred to by climates by scientists as quote climate optima because almost all species on Earth, warmer is better than cold. Both past and present warm periods directly are directly linked to advancements in science, technology, and the arts, as the abundance of food freeze people to pursue other things than just daily survival. And lastly, by not least five, more CO two means moisture soil. More CO two in the air means more moisture in the soil. Because more CIA two causes the pores or the stamata of leaves to be open for shorter periods of time, the leaves lose less water and more moisture remains in the soil, helping plants fight throughout.
Speaker 1: I'm grateful I know that. And you mentioned the CO two coalition CO two dot org, which the head of that is a man named Gregory Wrightstone. Doctor Wrightstone is a famed geologist and climate scientist. And his book is An Inconvenient Warming, which I have a copy of that he sent me.
Speaker 26: Well. He also has a new book very identity. This past week it's called A Very Convenient Warming, modest warming and more CA two are benefiting humanity.
Speaker 1: Right on, good good stuff all and happy Thanksgiving to you my friend, you too, Garry, Yeah, you got it. We continue on. Seven hundred WLW thousand will die by suicide.
Speaker 24: Butler County veterans are one and a half times more likely to die by suicide than non veterans. But that's one hundred percent preventable. Please reach out to us and call the Veterans Crisis Line at nine to eight eight, then press one. You have our eternal gratitude. We would be honored to help you and your family.
Speaker 6: Hello.
Speaker 27: Iim Ohio Governor Mike DeWine, Lieutenant Governor John Houston, and I are proud to join with the Ohio Department of Children and Youth in recognizing November as Adoption Month. Or the past year, in Ohio, nearly fifteen hundred children have been adopted from foster care or Children's Services custody.
Speaker 1: We want to.
Speaker 27: Recognize and thank every one of the families who have opened their homes and enriched the life of a child, in some cases multiple children. These adoptions are truly life changing events for everyone involved.
Speaker 1: We still have more work to do, though.
Speaker 27: Right now more than fourteen thousand, two hundred Ohio children are in foster homes or other out of home placements. More in three thousand of them are waiting to be adopted. If you've ever thought about being a foster or adopt your parent, go to Foster and Adopt dot Ohio dot gov. You can make a difference in the life of a child and help them live up to their God given potential.
Speaker 1: Thank you for making Ohio the heart of it all. Have about Christmas.
Speaker 28: The free iHeartRadio app loaded up with Holidays cheer. Listen to iHeart Christmas playing NonStop holiday music commercial free.
Speaker 1: Some might call it a Christmas miror.
Speaker 28: Go Christmas Agave iHeart Christmas is the perfect soundtrack to your holidays. Open the free iHeart app and search Holiday Now.
Speaker 1: Sounded so good? Yes, indeed tis the season.
Speaker 2: Coming up seven sixteen on a Saturday, dingle.
Speaker 1: And as you may have heard during the news, the Salvation Army doing the most good is honoring our friends the late Jim Scott with a Remember in December Red Kettle campaign that is kicking off. It's a special campaign designed to promote the need for volunteers during this year's Red kettle season, and I just have a quick story about Jim and the Salvation Army and the bell ringing campaign. I can't remember exactly what year it was. It may have been the best recollection, twenty sixteen or twenty seventeen. Jim had already retired from seven hunderd WLW, but he was at the studio still and he was doing commercials or something, hanging out and he caught me in the hallway, said Gary, Jeff, you got a second, and he pulled me in one of the production studios.
Speaker 2: I'm going, what's Jim Scott want with me?
Speaker 1: And he sat down. He said, I just wanted to ask you, and I think that I think this is perfect for you. I would like to ask you if you will volunteer for the Salvation Army and do a bell ringing stop. I said, Jim, you know, I never thought about it, but sure, I can donate a couple of hours of my time. It's not like it's going to kill me. And so we were. My wife Chris the two point zero and I volunteered and I believe it was a Saturday before Christmas. It was extremely cold like today, you know, windshills in the in the single digits and in the teens, and we stood at the entrance of the Newport Pavilion Kroger for a couple of hours. I brought my little boombox. We had Christmas music playing there in the lobby just as the you know, the big double doors open outside and then there's the entrance going into the store. And sat there around the red kettle for a couple of hours, and it was the most fulfilling volunteer work I think I've ever done it. It was such a great feeling just to be a part of that, and it was all because Jim Scott personally asked me to volunteer. So when you see the bell ringers and the red kettles this holiday season, whatever you can do. And we're a very generous people as Americans and as people who are in the greater Cincinnati area in northern Kentucky. But I will always think of Jim Scott at this time of year because of that moment when he said, Hey, Gary, Jeff, you got a second And it was some of the most valuable two hours that I spent that season, sure and probably in all my life. Thanks to Jim Scott and the Salvation Army remember in December.
Speaker 4: It's on.
Speaker 1: Time now for the Tom Davis Diaries I like to refer to as the and here is the afore mentioned Tom Davis Report. Good morning Gary, Jeff.
Speaker 29: This week John Mellencamp said it best play guitar, but first, it was an interesting meeting in London by two of the world's most unique people. Romisa Gelgi, the world's tallest woman, had tea with Geoti Amgi, the world's shortest woman. The difference between the two well, one is seven foot one while the other is two foot one. They say they had a nice lunch where they talked about makeup, skincare and manicures. A guy on YouTube says he's come up with the cure for dandruff, not washing your hair. He says that he hasn't washed his hair in eight years and as dandriff is gone, as well as his chronic scalp conditions, they've all stopped.
Speaker 2: But all is not well in the world of scalps.
Speaker 29: Head and shoulders is speaking up, saying that some hair requires shampoo to be its best. Meanwhile, Simon English of Beverly, England is doing all he can to get the flesh eating disease off his butt. So far, he spent four weeks in the hospital and undergone four surgeries after his butt cheek was infected. Luckily, doctors are expecting him to make a full recovery. And finally, keeping with a medical theme, Colin Miller was busy playing his guitar while doctors performed brain surgery on him. He stayed awake and kept himself busy for eight hours during the operation. He chose to stay awake to avoid losing mobility in his hands and fingers. He's now fundraising for brain tumor research.
Speaker 1: Next week. Playing grounded for four days.
Speaker 29: After one hundred and thirty two hamsters escape the cargo hold, have a great weekend.
Speaker 1: Is there a special time you like to listen to Scott's Loans? Sloney is so smart and funny and genuine. I love to listen to him.
Speaker 24: Oh I do too.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I put on something sexy to listen you naughty girl, And when my husband comes home. Yeah, it reminds me of how he's not slowney. Neither is mine.
Speaker 2: It sucks.
Speaker 1: Hey, I heard that. You know you're no slowney either.
Speaker 30: Scott's Loan, Monday morning at nine on seven hundred WLW and check out his podcast on the free iHeartRadio ad.
Speaker 31: Then, if you're suffering from a rectile dysfunction or PE, Proactive Men's Medical Center will get your sex life back in just one visit. They're painless. Breakthrough medical treatments eliminate ED and PE. Here's a specialist in men's health.
Speaker 1: I'm doctor. Some of ittz have viabra orcialis. Let you down.
Speaker 5: Proactive Men's Medical Center offers the most effective treatments that eliminate ED and PE, with men lasting longer than ever.
Speaker 1: Ninety eight percent of patients see instant results on their first visit.
Speaker 31: Proactive Men's Medical Centers breakthrough treatments will restore your sex life regardless of age or medical history. Your consultation and first treatment are free, Plus you'll see instant results in the office. Plus qualified patients will have their testosterone checked free. Call five one three eight six six, forty eight eighty six five one three eight sixty six forty eight eighty six to regain your sex life in just one visit, call now five one three eight six six forty eight eighty six.
Speaker 32: Ever dry waterproofing can fix your leaky basement or smelly Cross Space permanently. In the past forty years, they have fixed tens of thousands of basements with their patented system and lifetime warranty. Inspections are free. Call Ever Dry Waterproofing now open in Lexington and Louisville.
Speaker 31: Pellot Windows and Doors are rated number one by Cincinnati Homeowners for highest quality dan Hord for Pellot Windows and Doors of Greater Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Bring Home the Win with Pella.
Speaker 19: Jove childon on seven hundred WLW, home of the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 14: All right, Tony Pike joining me this morning. Tony, we had Thanksgiving football. Now we got to talk about after Thanksgiving football. You have an extra week to prepare for the Steelers. What do you do in that extra weekend? How do you beat the Steelers?
Speaker 15: You know, it's a little bit of a mix. You obviously want to get rest. You had a long season up to this point, a very physical and mentally demanding season. So you're getting away a little bit. You're you're taking time for yourself, but you're also putting that game plan. Pittsburgh is so good defensively that it's a little bit of a blessing to have extra days to talk about their defense, to look about what they do. Break everything down first down, second down, third down, red zone, every scenario that you can go down you're looking at. You're looking at percentages of when they do what, when do they blitch? When don't they blitz? When do they send four, five, six? So you're really breaking down and trying to look at everything from a tendency standpoint that Pittsburgh does to get ready for the game itself. And then you're you're looking back and you're going to watch what else is going on for the Bengals. A good first step last night because the Miami Dolphins lost. You need to watch what Denver does. You need to watch what Indy does going forward. You need to win some football games. So you're at kind of the scoreboard watching and put up a shut up time for this Bengals team.
Speaker 14: Hey, nobody really picked the Steelers to do much as your new quarterback, their offense, that just it didn't seem like they were the nineteen twenty seven New York Yankees.
Speaker 1: Are you surprised at the Steelers' success this year?
Speaker 15: I can't be, because you know, we talked about all the time, Mike Tomlins never had a losing season as the head coach at Pittsburgh, So somehow, some way, they find ways to do more with less. In my opinion, yes, it's an absolutely great defense, but they are with Russell Wilson right now. Okay, at quarterback, they don't have a dominant running game. George Pickens is a good young player, but they don't have a ton of star power on the offensive side of the ball. They're great in special teams, They're an elite defense, and they're asking Russell Wilson not to go out and make mistakes to swing momentum. And they're on a football games that way, and you know they have a true identity that comes straight from their head coach. You know what you're gonna get when you play Pittsburgh. It's gonna be tough. They're gonna knock down, drag you out. They're gonna get three four yards and a cloud of dust and try to strengthen the game a little bit. But I can't say I'm surprised because we've seen this year in and year out from Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 14: Now, all right, Tony Pike, thanks so much for your time this morning. It's the Bengals update.
Speaker 1: Imagine being Cincinnati's famous quarterback and having a massive problem.
Speaker 18: You win chills, making it feel close to the single digits. As you work throughout the day, we'll see Tempter's climb to the low maybe mid thirties. Chances for snow move in late, but out of here before you wake up tomorrow morning. Bring me severe weather station on nine first Warning Meteorologist Cameron Harton on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 23: It is sixteen degrees windshill feels like eight. Our next news coming up, Batie thirty, Matt Reees New's Radio seven hundred w.
Speaker 10: W news twenty four hours a day. He was a Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Mercedes Benze Ford Mitchell dot Com in to another hour of this Saturday morning edition for Saturday, November thirty, twenty twenty four. Gary Jeff Walker with a shout out to mister Evans and the Kagers who were gathering together to watch the annual Ohio State and that Team Up North rivalry game in the Big Ten. Came into the bar yesterday. So hello mister Evans and the case. I say mister Evans because as much as I remember meeting them, yes, I can't remember whether his first name was Mike Evans or Mark Evans, but a great bunch of guys, no doubt. This guy's name Mike. I don't forget his name, of course, I've been saying it for over twenty years now, Science money with a science minute.
Speaker 15: Yes, as a night scientist even be surprising it bell blinding me.
Speaker 2: With good morning, Michael.
Speaker 4: How are you we're getting up there?
Speaker 15: Are we? Oh?
Speaker 1: Geez? When I found out Steve Shulty's reminder earlier that it had been twenty years since col Rain, which his son was on that team, won the state championships, I was like just blown away because it you know, you hear old people like me say this all the time, but it seems like yesterday. It just yesterday, and you know, and it's been two decades now. It's it's amazing.
Speaker 4: I think I'm I think I'm the oldest guy at work.
Speaker 1: Are you really?
Speaker 4: I think so?
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, thankfully I've got a couple of octagens that come into the bar, so I'm not the oldest guy in there, but I'm going to give them a run for their money, that's for sure.
Speaker 33: I'm sleep deprived from the from the Georgia Georgia Tech Game last night.
Speaker 4: So we'll just move on for I start not and all.
Speaker 1: Oh that that was eight overtimes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Katah say it's gonna be yes, this is no.
Speaker 1: You know what I before you go, We've got some extra time this morning. I remember the Georgia Georgia Tech rivalry game on Thanksgiving weekend because my parents had some good friends, Don and Edith Farmer, who would we We always Thanksgiving together as families back in the day when we were kids, and I remember that they would play bridge and they would have the TV on watching the Georgia Georgia Tech game because Edith had gone to Georgia Don had gone to Georgia Tech. And this is a loving Christian couple who loved each other. But I never heard so many foul words come out of their mouth at each other while the game was being played. To goodness, these two wonderful Christian people who are good friends of my parents became mortal enemies on Thanksgiving weekend because of that football.
Speaker 4: Do you want to pull the rabbit ears off the team?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 33: Exactly, boy. So what you got that we got here? This is I dug this out of interesting engineering site. Now this is from the Journal of science robotics, and it was kind of buried in there, but I thought it was very interesting.
Speaker 4: They have created a nano robot and what it's a robot. And they made this.
Speaker 33: Robot out of DNA strand DNA strand, and they folded the DNA strand back and forth and.
Speaker 4: Actually made a hand out of it. And it's actually.
Speaker 33: Appliable gripping tool robot the size of the DNA DNA strand. And what they do is at the end of the fingers they'll ta certain things called DNA aptimers on it. Now, these aptomers are really chemical equivalent of antibodies, so they're able to take take the robot and for example, it's it's targeted for the COVID nineteen virus, it will actually go reach find find the protein on the virus and this this hand will actually wrap around the virus itself and keep it from entering into into a into a cell. And next, obviously you can you can make these DNA aptimers target other other type of viruses. Okay, you can cancer, you can you can do do a very multiple things with it. And they can also take this DNA, this DNA hand robot and they can attach with a fluorescent molecule to it, and you get enough of these uh DNA hands and wrap around the virus that when you when you act, when you pass it through a l ed or a laser, it actually fluoresces. And it actually can do an individual count by count a virus count in a certain amount of say a blood sample, to know how far how infectious you are, or how much you have in your the virus you have in you based based on sample.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about what about actually taking care of the virus. They need to find one that strangle the virus and kill it.
Speaker 4: Well, that's what this does. It wraps around the virus and kills it.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's that's wonder that's remarkable.
Speaker 1: Of course, it's probably easier with COVID nineteen since that also was a mad made product in a lab to begin with.
Speaker 33: I assume that they're going to be flying it to other type of flu viruses and well, sure.
Speaker 1: But it'll be much easier with one that they manufactured in the lab for the purpose of creating a vaccine and making the all sick. Right, Mike, It'll never get too old. I will never quit with this. Thank you, sir. Have a fantastic weekend and we are grateful for you. It's eight twelve and some change on a Saturday morning. It's seven hundred WLW, and then there's this. It's the last blast.
Speaker 30: You see these football bear Cats close out their regular season with a four quarter fight with TC. Oh my goodness what it's the bear Cats and horn Frogs and a big twelve squaw. I'll get the call live from the nest next, y'all to day at five on seven hundred WLW and seven hundred wlw's live stream on the free iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 34: Excuse me, I know you have a nine o'clock so I'll keep this short. I'm the business suit in the back of your closet. You wore me nearly every day before your office went quote casual. I used to be the CEO of your closet. Now I'm just that one intern no one ever talks to. I always thought you'd circle back with me, get granular, keep me in the pipeline, But nada, nothing. Don't you remember the McKittrick presentation. You spilled coffee on me and I still looked amazing during the breakout talkback Q and A. So I think it's time for me to move on. I've got a great resume and I absolutely crush it in interviews. Okay, let's make this a clean break shift the paradigm. The only thing I ask is that you think outside the box.
Speaker 35: Here and do this.
Speaker 34: Take me to Goodwill where I can really make a difference.
Speaker 36: Your donations to Goodwill create new jobs, training programs, and education assistance for people in your community. To find your nearest donation center, go to Goodwill dot org Donate stuff, Create jobs. A message from Goodwill and the ad Council USA Insulation.
Speaker 30: Three eight one fold visit online at USA insallation dot net.
Speaker 1: All right, here's the tale of the tape. This morning. Winter weather Advisory NOOW in effect from six pm tonight to ten o'clock tomorrow morning for Switzerland County in southeast.
Speaker 3: That's not.
Speaker 1: So bad and kind sad.
Speaker 2: All love the love of God.
Speaker 1: And were trying to be positive wherever possible on the program. One of the ways in which we do that is by bringing the Word of God to you via our friend Rick Green from Spirit Works Cincinnati. On a week that we really should all be very very grateful for all of our blessings, and it is wonderful to have you here, brother Rick, on a Saturday morning once again, and I am grateful for you.
Speaker 37: Hey, good morning, Gary, Kah. I'll walk up praying for.
Speaker 4: You and your listeners.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 37: Every time I hear that.
Speaker 4: Song, it just brings me so much joy.
Speaker 37: And it lines up with the scripture of the day.
Speaker 4: Gary.
Speaker 38: It's from John fifteen, verse twelve. It says, my command is just love each other as I have loved you. That's the word of God for today.
Speaker 10: Gary.
Speaker 1: That's a word to live by every single day.
Speaker 37: And you know, Jarl was thinking while I was on hold, and I kept reading the scripture over and over. Yeah, I personally think it's so difficult to accomplish this because we want to hold on to too much of us and not enough of Jesus.
Speaker 4: That's what I believe.
Speaker 1: Oh no, yeah, And one of my prayers more and more is less of me and more of Him.
Speaker 4: Amen. Amen, that's the only way.
Speaker 1: There's no other way.
Speaker 37: No, you ne forget a better day.
Speaker 1: So now, I mean, I don't know if you're you're willing and ready to die for someone else this morning, but he died for all.
Speaker 37: Of us, Amen, And then I'm so grateful for.
Speaker 2: It, and that's love. Thank you, brother Rick. Have a great race. Rest of your weekend.
Speaker 4: Brother. Okay, well you all have a blessed day, all right.
Speaker 1: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 2: Eight nineteen at seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 30: This morning at nine, Mike Allen goes full thor and wields his mighty Devil of Justice on seven hundred WLW digits.
Speaker 18: As you work throughout the day, we'll see Temptress climb to the low maybe mid thirties. Chances for snow move in late, but out of here before you wake up tomorrow morning. From your severe weather station, I'm nine first Warning Meteorologist Cameron Harton on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Seven hundred WLW Sports. We had some college hoops last night, Liam.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Kentucky basketball to Georgia State one oh five to seventy six.
Speaker 2: Are they going to play anybody? The wildcatch?
Speaker 7: I mean, they beat Duke already. They got two big time road games next week. They're at Clemson and the sec ACC Challenge, and they're on the road in Seattle to face Gonzaga.
Speaker 1: All Right, all right, right, uh, Kentucky playing football today.
Speaker 7: Kentucky is playing football. We got some college football Rivalry Week. Kentucky hosts Louisville for the Governor's Cup. That kickoff is set for noon. Pregame coverage begins at ten thirty. On ESPN fifteen thirty, you see host TCU for Senior Night tonight and to make become Bowl eligible on the season. Kickoff except for six. Pregame coverage begins at five. You can catch all that action right here on seven hundred wlw Ohio State hosts Michigan at noon.
Speaker 1: Tennessee goes to Nashville to face Vanderbilt.
Speaker 7: Go Go commodore Top twenty five matchup between South Carolina and Clemson. Notre Dame travels to LA to face USC. Alabama hosts Auburn, and the Iron Bowl in Arkansas travels face Missouri.
Speaker 1: It's kind of an intense college football games. Last night in this rivalry Week, we mentioned the Georgia Georgia Tech game. Eight overtimes, forty four forty two Bulldogs.
Speaker 7: Yeah, took eight overtimes. Georgia trailed by fourteen to five minutes left, but they got it done. Another game that was crazy while that was going on was Iowa Nebraska. Iowa was down ten to nothing at half. They won the game thirteen ten to thanks to a fifty three yard field goal. They only had five first downs and they were able to pull out a win.
Speaker 1: That's just Iowa football, just all kinds of crazy high school football results from last night.
Speaker 7: Yes state semi finals in Kentucky and Ohio, we had five local teams advanced to their respective state championships. Beach would handle Lexington Christian Academy forty four to twenty four. They will play Owensborough Catholic in the two way Kentucky State Championship. Cooper top Thailand sixty one twenty three Highlands led seventeen to seven and a half time. Cooper faces Bowling Green in the five Bay State Championship. Mole defeated Centerville forty nine to ten. They will face all In Tangy Liberty in the Division one State Championship. Covington Catholic fell to Franklin County fourteen ten, Anderson with a game winning drive in the last minute to defeat Big Walnut High School twenty eight to twenty four. They'll face Avon in the Ohio Division two Championship. Taffeld to Indian Valley twenty nine to twenty and Ryle defeated Great Crossing thirty five to seven.
Speaker 1: Facing Trinity in the six A state title.
Speaker 2: Game Bengals Steelers tomorrow.
Speaker 1: All the action right here in the Home of the Best Bengals covered seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 22: Sarah Spain for Iheartwomen's Sports presented by Capital One. Two games on the slate tomorrow as season two begins for the PWHL, the Professional Women's Hockey League. First, at two pm Eastern, the Boston Fleet take on the Toronto Scepters at Coca Cola Coliseum in Toronto. Then at five pm Eastern, the Ottawa Charge pay a visit to the Montreal Victoire. They face off at Place bell Arena in Quebec. For more women's sports stories, subscribed A Good Game with Sarah Spain on iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 12: Capital one is a founding partner of iHeart Women's Sports Network, The Capitol One w Well, Joe.
Speaker 1: It is cold out there this morning.
Speaker 6: Morning.
Speaker 18: Temperatures have dropped all the way down to around twenty but wind chills making it feel close to the single digits. As you work throughout the day, we'll see Temptress climb to the lobe. Maybe mid thirties chances for snow move in late, but out of here before you wake up tomorrow morning. From a severe weather station, I'm nine First Warning Meteorologist Cameron Harton on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 23: And we have sixteen degrees right now in Cincinnati at eight thirty six. Our next news at nine. I'm Matt Reese, NewsRadio seven hundred WLAD News.
Speaker 10: Twenty four hours a day. He was a radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Good morning kid, Time for gifts from Wally.
Speaker 1: Your host has obviously been overdosing on the Yellowstone Marathon. An old cowboy sits down at a Starbucks and orders a cup of coffees. He sits sipping his coffee. A young woman sits down next to him. She turns to the old cowboy and says, are you a real cowboy? And he said, well, it's spent my whole life breaking colts, working cows, going to rodeos, fixing fences, pulling calves, bailing hay doctor and calves, cleaning my barn, fixing flats, working on tractors, and feeding my dog. So I guess you'd call me a cowboy. She said, well, cowboy, I'm a lesbian. I spend my whole day thinking about naked women. As soon as I get up in the morning, when I shower, when I watch TV, I think about naked women. It seems everything makes me think of naked women. The two sat in silence. A couple of minutes later, a man sits down on the other side of the old cowboy and asks, are you a real cowboy?
Speaker 2: Said?
Speaker 1: Well, I always thought I was, but turns out I'm a lesbian.
Speaker 12: Seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati, available everywhere with the iHeartRadio app down number one for podcasting seven hundred WLW and iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 27: Have you taken your family to dinner recently and been shocked by the price of that bill?
Speaker 1: Listen recent set, my Brady, don't believe me. I like it loud.
Speaker 3: I'm the man with the box that can rock the crowd, ruping down the streets to the Hertdorp wancha d C bom race the competent. Sorry you can't understand, but I need a radio inside my hand.
Speaker 1: I mean to a b O s SI, but I kicked mob while your way.
Speaker 6: I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't live without my radio. And to visit with mo Ager on a Saturday morning and we say, hey, mo, what's up?
Speaker 6: What's going on?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 2: Just jamming to a little llll cool jay.
Speaker 1: You know the usual.
Speaker 6: I like it.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 1: I knew you would. So I'm gonna ask you first and foremost, what did you do for Thanksgiving? And do you have a a favorite way that you like to enjoy the turkey?
Speaker 6: My favorite way to enjoy the turkey is with someone else making it. And and I we it was very relaxing, It was low key.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 6: We were well fed.
Speaker 1: Any special preparation that you prefer, fried, roasted? I mean, what do you think?
Speaker 6: So? I smoked one last year and I enjoyed it. And this year we were back in the oven, and I think I enjoyed that just a little bit more. And I've done the fried thing like I I like turkey, so I'll eat it any particular way. I would say, of the ways I've done it, smoked was probably my least favorite. I love smoked meat. So this year we kind of went back to the original roasted in an oven. My wife makes an awesome brine, so it was it was very good. You know what.
Speaker 1: I didn't even Brian my turkey. And we had a small bird because it was just me and the wife this year. Didn't go to the bar and serve Thanksgiving dinner like I have thirteen of the last fourteen years. But it turned out tender and juicy even without the Brian. So I guess we did something right, perfect, not dry at all. Just yeah, just right right there in the sweet spot. Now, what's your favorite Thanksgiving weekend rivalry in college football? Because there are varied and many.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I mean, I am not, by any stretch in Ohio State fan, okay, but I love that rivalry with Michigan. And there's you know, a lot riding on it for Ohio State this year, a little bit less for Michigan. But it's you know, a lot of coaches will pay lip service to a rivalry, but I'm not sure how much it really means to them. I don't think that's the case with Ryan Day. I don't think that was the case with Jim Harbaugh. I don't think that's the case with Sharon Moore at Michigan. You know, those are two historically significant programs. There's always something on the line in that game. And you know, I mean for Ohio State, it's obviously, you know, getting to the college football playoffs, but also a game that Ryan Day hasn't won him quite a while, and I think he'd be the first to tay you. You know, you come to come to Columbus, you could have success against everybody else, just as John Cooper, you've got to be. You've got to be to rival up North and so I you know, they played at noon every year. It's just of all these Thanksgiving weekend rivalries, and there's a lot of great ones.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: The Iron Bowl is going to happen today between Alabama and Auburnrific Florida Florida State are going to play. But Ohio State Michigan really is And I'm not a fan of either, but Ohio State Michigan really is special.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Alabama and Auburn, I mean that's a rivalry so fierce that you know, the fans of the other team poison trees on the other school's campus and stuff just nuts for me today. While Ohio State Michigan is obviously huge and the one that everybody points to, I'm looking at Vandy, Tennessee. This is a huge game for my Vanderbilt commodorees to solidify their their bowl position and to beat the Valls. And it goes back to when I first was in radio in Nashville. I came back in like eighty four, I think, and we were doing a remote on the Vanderbilt campus before the Vandy UT game. And this is what turned me into it. I will never support the big orange kind of guy. There is a woman, probably I don't know. It's eight thirty in the morning first, and we're out there and it's kind of chilly there in Nashville, and people have campers set up and stuff for the tailgate before the Vandy UT game. And it's eight thirty in the morning. The game's not till I don't know, one or two o'clock in the afternoon, and a woman stumbles out of a trailer and she's got bloody Mary juice running down her T shirt with a cup in her hand, and she just said, Govals, I said, I can't root for that team. I just can never root for Ut ever again. Govals And probably was a nice woman and fairly attractive when she was dulled up, but not at eight thirty in the morning with bloody mary juice running down her shirt. So that convinced me that I was going to be a Vandy Commodo or fan that game and from that point on and Diego Pavia and the Vandy Commodoors have a chance to do something really special today.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no question, fun story, cool rivalry. That woman sounds like somebody I'd.
Speaker 1: Want to hang out with, though, uh yeah, before or after the Six Bloody Marys in the course of the is the course of the Six Bloody Marys. Georgia Georgia Tech last night, eight overtimes? How about that for a rivalry?
Speaker 4: Love it?
Speaker 6: I mean it was Georgia Tech went up twenty to six and you still didn't feel like the game was totally over because Kirby Smart's team has just, over the course of the last six seven years, figured out a way to win that football game. And then it's amazing to me when teams get you know, we talked about this with two point conversions in the NFL, When teams get in a situation where you know, it's it's two yards to go because you know, they obviously play alternating two point conversions, and they're fair debates about whether that's the best way to settle a great game like that, It it becomes amazing how uninventive the team's become offensively and I think that was kind of in play there last night. But that was a great scene and it's a really good rivalry. But also, you know, Georgia's college football playoff life was kind of twisting in the win last night. They still figure out a way to win. And heartbreak for the Yellowjackets because I think the folks down there were really I know that from being there last weekend, they were really pointing at that game as one that they could maybe win. George's now won what thirty consecutive home games by the skin of their teeth last.
Speaker 1: Night and last night Iowa beats Nebraska, And does it say more about Iowa? We already knew about Iowa and their total dearth of offense, I mean not just this season, but for seasons immeasurable. But what does it say about Nebraska that Iowa wins that game on a last second field goal and only has five first downs the entire sixty minutes?
Speaker 6: Says i always got a good defense and did a good job against Dylan Royola at the quarterback of the Huskers. There are certain games it's like when the Ravens and Steelers play. You know, the score is going to be like nineteen to thirteen. And in any Big ten game that Iowa plays where they have a chance of winning, you know, not where they get blown out, but where they have a chance of winning, you know, the score is going to be sixteen, thirteen, thirteen, ten, you know something like that, and thirteen to ten yesterday with a walk off game winning kick.
Speaker 1: So you see as Senior Night, the last game of the season for the Bearcats playing TCU, tee it up.
Speaker 6: Well, I think if if by ten o'clock tonight we're talking about a season that started with the Bearcats being five and two and it ends with them being five and seven, you know, quite frankly, not only is that going to leave a really rotten taste in everybody's mouth, I think that's that's going to be something that's going to be a really hard sell to a lot of Bearcat fans who are trying to feel like the program is moving in the right direction. And you know, if you go back, you know, five or six weeks ago, it really felt like, you know, this was this was going in the right direction. They won their fifth game, beat a good Arizona State team, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were five and two, at that point, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, folks were even wondering like could could they sneak into the Big twelve championship game? And since then, I think not only have they lost the four straight games, but they they've just kind of gotten progressively worse. You know, they were non competitive, I thought for the most part against Kansas State last week. And so I think the first thing for me is, you know, just mentally, where are the Bearcats right now? Because you know, being down there this week and talking to a handful of players, they've talked a lot about Senior Night. They've talked about, as every team does, we want to win this one for our seniors. They've talked about one to a ball game. But I just wonder if things start to go poorly early in the game on a cold night at Nippert Stadium, I'm not sure how many people are going to be there.
Speaker 37: You know, what do we see?
Speaker 6: Do we see any fight from U? See? This is a good TCU team.
Speaker 16: You talk about one of.
Speaker 6: The bigger overachievers in the conference, a TCU team that still has an outside chance of getting to the Big twelve championship game. They can beat teams in the air, but the Bearcat's biggest opponent the last few weeks, I think, frankly has been themselves. And I think the most glaring issue has been the fact that they just have they have totally gone gun shy offensive. They haven't thrown the ball deep, they haven't been able to take advantage of what I think still are are a good group of weapons. And so you know, there's obviously not a huge difference between being six and six and five and seven. But at six and six, you're probably going to a ball game and you have a chance to finish with a winning record. You go five and seven, you know, again, to go from five to two to five and seven is going to be I think a really really hard sell for this program this coming offseason.
Speaker 1: I was glad I was working at the bar yesterday because I don't have Amazon Prime at home, and we do have it at the bar. So I got to see my Kansas City Chiefs one more time eke out of victory against a team they should be pummeling, the Las Vegas Raiders. What is it with this Chiefs team? I mean they just outside of the Bills game, they just continue to win games that they look like they have no business winning or playing like they're gonna.
Speaker 2: I mean, what is the key there nineteen to seventeen against the Raiders.
Speaker 1: Huh Yeah.
Speaker 6: They allow the other team to hang around because they're not great offensively, and they keep the other team from winning because they've gotten some unbelievable luck in special teams play. They've gotten some really good special teams play, and they've been terrific on the defensive side of the football. And you know, you just as you're watching the Raiders drive down the field yesterday, if you're like me at least, you're wondering, like, all right, how's Kansas City gonna pull the rabbit out of their hats? You know, obviously it's it's it's remarkable, but you know, you do wonder. It's like, how for for the greatness of Mahomes and Reed and Kelsey and and that franchise, and and they are to be admired as much as people in Cincinnati don't want to hear that, Like is this formula going to work? And what is going to be an excruciatingly competitive AFC? You know, I mean, obviously the Bengals have a very uphill battle getting into the postseason. But let's say they got in as the seventh seed. That's that's that's the best seventh seed arguably in the history of this of this format, seventeen per conference format. That's how good this this conference is. And so I just I wonder, I wonder is this formula going to work? But I think what you can think is a Chiefs fan is you know, last year in the regular season, they weren't great, and then what happened. They got into the postseason. Travis Kelcey looked like Travis Kelcey again, Patrick Mahomes looked like Patrick Mahomes again, and they figured out a way to beat teams they were not favored to beat. But it is it has been remarkable this year how they have figured I mean, it's it's like the the opposite of the Bengals right where they've had these games right that they were, you know, a player two away from winning and they haven't been able to make the right play or something has gone against them. And the opposite has been true this year for Kansas City, including in the game the two teams played against each other.
Speaker 1: Who's terrible tomorrow, the terrible Towels or the Bengals.
Speaker 6: The Bengals defense you know what I'm what I'm curious is, you know, the Steelers the last two weeks offensively have not been great. You know, they won a game against the Ravens from two weeks ago, but they didn't score an offensive touchdowns they like, And then yeah they did, and then last weekend in the or last Thursday and the snow against the Browns kind of the same thing. Can the Bengals defensively take advantage and and how is the Christian in the secondary going to be exposed by Russell Wilson and the Pittsburgh offense that hasn't been great over the last couple of weeks. I trust Joe Burrow to score. I trust Joe Burrow to play well against whichever defense is out there. But with the benefit of a little extra time to prepare, can Lou and Aroumo get this defense to play at a league average level. I'm not sure the answer is yes over the course of the final six games of the season. But if the answer is yes tomorrow, frankly they should win the football games.
Speaker 1: All right, And we'll see Moe have a wonderful rest of the holiday weekend, and we will talk to you next week.
Speaker 6: I hope you got a man.
Speaker 2: Thanks sure, Mike Allen counselor. What's going on, my man?
Speaker 1: I'm pretty good?
Speaker 2: How about you? How's your Thanksgiving? It was wonderful? Yeah, yours?
Speaker 35: It was great.
Speaker 1: Ate a little too much as usual, but it was nice. Well you went to you did hoiity toydy because I'm too lazy to cook. We want to spend the money. Spend the money, counselor the buffet at Palm Court.
Speaker 35: What's on the show this morning, Well, we're going to talk about the Democrats governor's resistance to Trump. They're trying to get that together. Also going to talk a little bit about Tom hom and you gotta love that man. I do you know he threatened to lock up Denver mayor. I hope he does. University of Maryland, Gary, Jeff, they have established a fat studies program. I'm not kidding you of fact studies. Fat studies program. And it's funny. You're gonna laugh if you hear it. I'm gonna talk to James Bogan. He's got a lot going on this week with respect to biological man participating in the Mountain West Women's volleyball tournament.
Speaker 2: You're gonna take a little break from politics. Talk to J. T. Townsend.
Speaker 35: He's an author and true crime detective. He's going to give us an update on the nineteen sixty six brick A murder and also on the sixty first anniversary of the Kennedy assassination.
Speaker 1: All right, it's Saturday midday. We'll be at huddles with all those rivalry games, including OSU Michigan at noon's see you, then slinging drinks for Hillbillies and others on seven underd WLW