Speaker 1: On Welcome to the CEO pre Show for episode four sixty three. For sixty three yes totly shit Yes, brought to you by the wonderful patrons at patreon dot com slash CEO Podcast, whether they like it or not. That's where you go if you do like the show and you want to support, because the pre show is a lot of fun. Now we do a little bit longer pre show. We talk about some topics on my super professional phone.
Speaker 2: Hey man, all the pross look at their phone during the show?
Speaker 1: Yes, all of the members of the CFP.
Speaker 3: The fuck is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Exactly? Commander Format Panel, much like the Popper Format Panel.
Speaker 3: What the fuck is that?
Speaker 1: It's like a governing body that makes the rules for us to follow because Magic doesn't have enough rules, so we need more rules by people that make the game but don't make the game. But you remember the keg I thought those people and the the Rules Committee, the RC, I was looking for the words the RC vaguely. Yes. Well, the CFP is seventeen members, much of which are the same as the old what is it? Rules Committee, the RC and the old Commander Advisory Group. Now they're the CFP. They've had to sign this gag order to make sure they never say anything bad, but they are encouraged to voice their agreement or disagreement with WATSI rules to I guess save face with the greater magic community.
Speaker 2: In the contract that they signed, how much larger and more bolder and colorfuler do you think the word was agreement as opposed to smaller and harder to read disagreement.
Speaker 1: I don't know, you know what, we're being a little bit facetious.
Speaker 2: All this is like how many of these seventeen members are wearing a SpongeBob SquarePants T shirt right now?
Speaker 3: I'll bet you I'm ready. I'm ready.
Speaker 1: We're not talking about Vegas because we're gonna get upset because we're not there. Correct, we're not doing it, But I did Asperando. Is there a more polarizing universes beyond IP than SpongeBob.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say no.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say no.
Speaker 3: I don't think there is.
Speaker 2: I really don't. And like you think, oh, what if they did something ridiculous like Doug, well, let's too small?
Speaker 3: What about care Bears? Well?
Speaker 2: I think that care Bears would probably actually make a pretty cool secret.
Speaker 1: Yea more endearing to many people's childhood right lots think of my little pony that was like received by the Bronis and general people and it's for charity people dog that SpongeBob is throwing all that out the window.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this is how far okay, can we can Can we go this far? Is this how far we can go? And then with lock, it'll just eat shit and we won't have.
Speaker 1: To worry about ones like oh I'm ready.
Speaker 2: We don't have to worry about like just every ip ever that releases a new something just has a secret layer too, because that's what that's This is the door we're knocking on with SpongeBob.
Speaker 1: I would argue, SpongeBob is knocking on my door and it's me doing the Jack Nicholson meme.
Speaker 3: I'm ready, but he's not gonna buy it or anything.
Speaker 1: But like you know, so, you know, maybe I'll go to Fusion Gaming Online dot com and get a get an open one, use a special Parbaco Cco summer, save myself some money double lull. Yeah, well they get them, we can get So I've gotten secret layers from open, secret layers from Fusion in the past, and so of you.
Speaker 3: I went a singles. Yeah, yeah, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, fresh shield ones from there too. Actually, that's yeah, a little a little harder to come by usually, right, unless they're those because there's those like waves of them where they kind of suck. But there's like one card that I want in them, so I can get them for like ten bucks less than I would have spent otherwise, yes, which is cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then he let the business dad is eat the shipp into Canada.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. I'm not an idiot. I just play one on the internet.
Speaker 1: So anyways, I want to mention SpongeBob because it's really like any polarizing thing in the magic community, and like many things in the Magic Verse at large, it is interesting to me, fun to talk about, entertaining for me. I hope it's entertaining for people, because man, I no shit. Like I open up a Facebook comment with a picture of the SpongeBob secret Layer like promo art from Vegas, and it's posted one hour ago. There's four hundred and ninety comments on it, and it's like, if you could colorize the comments, you would just have an alternating string of Christmas lights, like red green, red green, red green, red green. I hate it. I love it. I hate it, I love it. This is ruining magic. Oh mind, take all my money. I hate it. I love it, I hate it.
Speaker 3: I love it. Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mad Face Heart, mad face Heart, mad face Heart.
Speaker 2: Just like it's just like the Walking Dead, right, oh sa.
Speaker 1: And just like Lord of the Rings, just like Transformer. They're ruining magic. Oh my god, this is the end of magic. Yeah, we'll talk about more of that stuff on an upcoming CEO. I know the patrons have said that they want more discussion and thoughts and dialogue, right, because there's there's other changes, like well, here's what's not changing is they're gonna pump out sets every month. Yeah, and it is what it is at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I think I think generally people are over that and they buy what they want. Yeah, And because.
Speaker 2: We've figured it out, we've normalized to the situation.
Speaker 1: Because people buy what they want. Watson's just like, here's more stuff. If you don't like this one, by the next one, if you don't like this one, by the next one, Right.
Speaker 2: I think that's what or should you say or should I say? Do you think that's why they're doing so many outside eyeps to kind of buffer that if people don't want it, there's somebody else that will. They're trying to appeal to other people like, yeah, it's like, well, let's just say SpongeBob gets his own set.
Speaker 1: Let's just say that, Oh, I'm.
Speaker 3: Ready like the Magic Players.
Speaker 2: Let's just again, let's just say, ah, man, this I don't want anything to do with this crap. I'm not to buy it. Yeah, But then all the SpongeBob fans and collects like, oh, this is some cool SpongeBob merch that I should I'm gonna go out and buy some of it. And that way Watsy like hedges their bets that none of their sets are a complete flop. Yeah, and they've got three of those now a year that are kind of guaranteed to get some kind of outside of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like insulating. Right, That is one of the reasons there. There's umpteen reasons that that they do so many universes beyond right, it's to get.
Speaker 3: There's one reason, yea, just one.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what it comes back to, right, that that is the handle of the umbrella, the excitement leaving my wallet going into Hasbru's wallet is the one reason, but there's a whole bunch of things that kind of funnel into that. Right, Yeah, there's lots of reasons why it will make money, where like an upside down umbrella and oh yeah, that's a better analogy.
Speaker 2: Catching all because it catches all the money.
Speaker 1: Right, that is a better reason. But yeah, lots of products to insulate from, like people spending or not. If you like graft my expenditure on sealed product over the last year, right, like you'd see a very distinct trend in I haven't spent a whole ton of money on product save for the Lord.
Speaker 2: Of the Ring, Lord of the Rings, And that's how it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to get new people in is another way. Right, Let's take the SpongeBob fans. Let's bring them in. Let's take the Lord of the Rings fans. There's already crossover, let's bring them in. Let's take the D and D like the magic adjacent people who who are into D and D. They know what magic is. Maybe they've even done magic campaigns, because there are those, Let's bring them in. Let's make a D and D said forgotten realms, right, and Boulder's Gate Forgotten Realms.
Speaker 2: Balders Gate is in the Forgotten Realms.
Speaker 3: Yeah, d shit.
Speaker 2: Then they did Warhammer, which is kind of the same thing, but on the other side, like of the you know, they're sitting together on a bench, they're next to each other. Yeah, like us exactly. And now we're looking at what are the.
Speaker 3: Next one's coming up?
Speaker 2: There is Marvel and Final Fantasy, next spooder Man spider Man is I think that's part of the whole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I'm gonna count that as Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm kind of pumped to see more than I didn't think I was actually gonna get excited for the Final Fantasy.
Speaker 3: I was like, Okay, I'm just gonna wait.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be all like lightning and snow and all the bullshit and a bunch of.
Speaker 3: Assholes in a car. First image they share Kefka.
Speaker 2: Palazzo from Final Fantasy Vix the best villain in the entire series, not close. It's like they know what they're doing, right, It's like, damn it, yep, fucky watsy, they got chat, they gott I'm gonna I like that one card.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to see the preview.
Speaker 1: Well that that is to say, you like one hundred percent of what you've seen so far.
Speaker 3: And that's rare for me.
Speaker 2: That's because it's even a cool picture there. You go, like a clown guy and there's some magic stuff he's like and you just know that he's just burning kids with a laser because that's what he does.
Speaker 1: That's what he does. Yeah, what do you think the Secret Layer are gonna be like for that? You think they're gonna get some of the old like old school art style, old school like Nintendo screenshots. Put them on a card.
Speaker 3: I would love to see.
Speaker 1: That'd be cool, bet you producer garys exciting for that.
Speaker 2: And Gary's gonna like this if they did like a Final Fantasy one that looked like Final Fantasy one. Yes, all the boxes on the screen and like the text is where the you hit the goblin for this many damage and that says what the spell does.
Speaker 1: Like they just did with the Fibble tip with with the lightning bulls.
Speaker 2: Exactly yeah, yeah, exactly like that, but like a little bit less HD pixel art and just straight up eight bitch garbage k you can make with parler beads in your bedroom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or and it's still got like the old school Tube TV pattern over it, like when you try to take a photograph of a Tube TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, literally, give me a.
Speaker 1: Photograph of Final Fantasy one, slap it on a magic card.
Speaker 3: I would I would.
Speaker 2: I think that would be cool and I would certainly invest in that.
Speaker 1: Next level, next level. Okay, So then when we go to like a magic car or not a magic con but a command fest or a face to face weekend like Calgary coming up, and you know, face to face always got the big cards right, and they do lots of showcase arts. So this is what we do.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: We talked to we talked to our good friend uncle Kelly. We say, hey, we're coming to this thing. Producer Gary likes Fantasy uh huh. Producer Gary, he likes Final Fantasy one.
Speaker 3: Sure does.
Speaker 1: And we say we need a big card for him. We get a big card, pixel art photographed Tube TV showcase.
Speaker 3: Oh, that'd be cool.
Speaker 1: We get a big card. We hang it in the damn studio.
Speaker 3: That would be really cool.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would certainly contribute to making that happen.
Speaker 3: That would be really neat.
Speaker 1: Super secret tech. Though, don't tell producer Gary. Okay, I don't think he's got his headphones, and so I don't think he can hear us.
Speaker 3: I think the windows open.
Speaker 1: No, no, he can't hear Okay, good, is he's over there. I'm still looking for my fourth big card to complete my set in studio CEO. Right, so if we get that card I just talked about, I'll probably just keep it. No, we're here. I wasn't sure if he's gonna hear.
Speaker 2: The window and the door is open.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah whatever.
Speaker 2: This is a big, luxurious studio, but it's not that large.
Speaker 3: It is that luxurious though it is.
Speaker 2: Come on, there's cookies and sodas and no beer in the fridge.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well that is that is his faulty. Okay, last thing I wanted to talk about. We talked about SpongeBob Final Fantasy. We talked about the CFP. The the seventeen people that are eleven of them are the same. It does let us know that maybe the right people are in those positions.
Speaker 3: That's important.
Speaker 1: That is important. And I do know a few of them that were on the RC and KEG and so do you. And a few of those people are repeat members of the CFP, and I do know that they have good minds for commander as a whole, like the format, and they're here's here's an important one everybody. They're good communicators. That's very important. They know how to both broadcast their voice, whether it be in the written word or on some form of content what we do. But they're also good one on one communicators and can hold conversations and they can teach and educate people one on one and just like I don't want to say influence people, but they can. They can really make people understand the value of their viewpoint.
Speaker 2: And some of them fucked around and found out and they're not going to do that again.
Speaker 1: Also, yes, also yes, Also there as.
Speaker 2: Much as there was a bunch of terrible stuff that came out of that, there was a lesson learned and I feel we all learned it and going forward things will be better. And it's important that we have people that first hand we're like, oh shit, involved in that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's important now that these people are working right alongside WATSA to funnel up the information to WATSI to say, hey, WATSA, here's what we think, and WATSY is going to make the decision, and then these people can say, yeah, I agree, or I don't agree, And ultimately, if something very extramet happens like the Dockside Jeweled Lotus man of Crypt non communication prior to ban issue, because I think that's what the issue was. If something like that happens again, I'm sure these people are still gonna get dumped on. So good on them for like being a martyr for the community. I hope that it's communicated clearly and often enough that the general public that every person knows that it is a Watzi decision at this point, So that's cool. Last thing I had to talk about is combat damage when double blocking. That change that's changing with Magic Foundation.
Speaker 3: I am actually and you know me in big changes. Yeah, I'm really happy with this this change.
Speaker 1: Yes, really am.
Speaker 2: I thought that the way that I'm not even sure how many people are watching this played when Damage used the stack, but Damage using the stack was both confusing and really abusable.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I used the out of the time.
Speaker 2: I miss it because of that, But that's because sometimes I can be a degenerate jerk bag and I just want to get people, and I feel like the way that things are right now today when we play Magic, while it doesn't happen as often as.
Speaker 3: When damage uses the stack.
Speaker 2: There were situations where you could get somebody and especially like a newer player that's just learning how to assign combat damage. When you're teaching them how to do it and then just give them the finger and what you told them what happened doesn't happen. Yeah, can get frustrating. Yeah, and so I'm happy that this change is happening. It just kind of upfronts everything and make things work. I think the way lots of people thought it worked anyway.
Speaker 1: Yes I was, and I've played Magic for a long time, and sometimes I'd still have to ask and being like, okay, when I block with two guys, and this is not how it works, but this is how it makes sense in my head if Magic is being if creatures are on a battlefield in front of me and I say you too, dummies, go block that big fricking guy, right, you first? You second. I ordered the blockers as the blocking guy. You're gonna block first because I said so. Yeah, but that's not how it worked. The attacker would come in and be like, hey, I'm gonna pick these two guys, smaller one first, so I'm gonna kill them, and I.
Speaker 2: Say, hey, punch that little one first. Yes, right, you're guy dummies? Why didn't you block and the order I told you to? And I'm like, yeah, because I'm the boss exactly.
Speaker 1: Right now with the change in here, I got, I got the thing right up here. Here's the change. Damage assignment order order no longer exists. If a creature is facing multiple opposing creatures in combat, that creature's combat damage is assigned and dealt as its controller desires during the combat damage step. So whatever, there's more. Other players won't necessarily know what's going to happen. Okay, So if I have a five to five and you have a one to one and a five to five, yeah, and for some reason you block with both of them, I can pick where my attacker's damage goes, and you can pick where your blocker's damage goes. I'll assign one to your guy and four to your other guy, yeah, or all five to your five five and your one one lives exactly And it doesn't matter what order I put the blockers in to deal lethal damage to the first one and then get or don't get the second one, And it doesn't matter where you want the damage to go, I'm gonna just assign it, and you're gonna assign yours.
Speaker 2: And people are probably saying, lisn't that how it works anyway?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, The way things work right now today is if this exact same situation happened, I would say, Okay, that one one is real pain in my ass and I want to make sure that it dies.
Speaker 3: Fuck this five to five. I'm losing my ead.
Speaker 1: Like if you're attacking me with a five to five and I've got a five to five blocker.
Speaker 2: And a one one blocker and I'm gonna kill that one one because it's important to me that I kill that one one.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say, Okay, I'm gonna kill your one one, and the rest.
Speaker 2: Of the damage will go to your other guy, and it's gonna live, and I.
Speaker 3: Don't give a shit.
Speaker 2: You Actually, now, the way the rules are written and set up, you have the opportunity to give your care your one one protection from my creature or make it so big I can't kill it or do something to it. And then I'm fucked and I can't kill your one one, I can't kill your five to five.
Speaker 3: I still lose my five to five. And then I'm like, as a new person, I probably just quit the magic forever. And as an established person, I'm like, oh.
Speaker 1: I got this. I got this.
Speaker 3: That sucks.
Speaker 1: I got this. I attack Brando with a five to five, I just block it with brash Taunter. I was gonna say, you have a five to five and a brash Taunter and for some reason, like maybe my guy got to menace Ooh gotta be blocked by two guys. Yeah, I assign one hundred percent of the damage to the five five. Brash Taunter takes no damage. Correct, Oh beat the system. Yeah, brash Hunter is standing there with his middle finger up, takes no damage.
Speaker 3: But he did block the creature.
Speaker 1: He did block, and I just chose not to damage him.
Speaker 2: And then I tapped him and he get five. An Brashunter is so versatile and handsome.
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah. Or you could tap them before combat damage and fight and deal combat damage to your five to five if my damage trigger matters. Right, So there's there's still there's still lots of like nuance and subtlety to combat. This isn't dumbing it down, which is often the the argument or when when people When people are adverse to like rules changes, they say, well, combat damage using the stack added so much complexity. Now they're dumbing it down for new players, right remember the M ten rule change when when all this happened.
Speaker 2: Yea, now I can't attack with a maze ofth and kill your guy and then maze of m dude on a combat.
Speaker 1: Exactly f you. Yeah, so it's it's not dumbing it down. There's still there's still plenty of complexity within the magic rules.
Speaker 2: Yet, I'm sure that we'll find other ways to get you know, caught up in stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm sure there'll be other ways that we can find to make judges do and say this fucking commander player that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we're going to run into one of those, probably with our deck today.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, because there's.
Speaker 2: A couple of things that I had to look up to make sure that it worked the way that I think it does.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it didn't work the way I thought it did, so you know, I looked it up.
Speaker 1: I don't know specifically what you're talking about, but I can imagine because I had the same thought because I actually want to play this deck there, that's all I'm gonna say about it though, we all know what They all know what we're playing, do they?
Speaker 3: Yep, we told him last week.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, So if you watched last week's show, you can tell us in the comments and get entered in to win the booster pack of freaking magic cards if you're a loser, or if you want tokens which are amazing huh or stickers also good.
Speaker 3: Also very good. Yep, then you couldn't have those things, I guess.
Speaker 1: Let us know a couple of things. Okay, let us know what the commander for tomorrow is, but you got to have watched last week's show. Let us know if you're excited or fucking hate the SpongeBob crossover. Let us know what you think about damage, the blocking changes, and let us know if there's any changes that you foresee to the Commander format as a result of the Commander format panel.
Speaker 3: Here's something that I want to know too. What do you think is the most polarizing ip they could bring in?
Speaker 1: Oh that's a good one, yeah, what what would be the most polarizing things would be?
Speaker 2: Like, if it's not SpongeBob, what is it? Because I'm sure that there's other things that we're not thinking.
Speaker 1: Of within reason, like don't don't give us like some.
Speaker 2: It can't be I spit on your grave because obviously that would be more controversial.
Speaker 1: No, no, I got this. Uh secret layer world politics, Oh, secret layer religion. Oh. Let's let's let's limit the search.
Speaker 3: I'm glad. I'm glad that we removed those ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Let's limit the search query to like nonfiction ips. No, sorry, fictional ips. There we gotional eyepiece.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there we go.
Speaker 1: I didn't say science fiction EPs. I didn't say fantasy ips. It's fictional eyepiece things that didn't actually happen in the real world. Let's limit it to that, just to save ourselves some arguments in the comments.
Speaker 2: Yes, good call, good call, well done, well done.
Speaker 1: Okay, we did it. CCO pre show four sixty three. Your brando here with Ryan. I am not getting brash taunters blocked in or damaged in combat. Hit our theme song burberber