Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Just a few minutes ago, the official notification in front of the square in the Vatican.
Speaker 3: And that's that's the black smoke.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, that comes much later.
Speaker 2: What the smoke is during the whitecla the white smoke though, the white smoke is the announce we have a.
Speaker 1: New pope, right, so there is no I know we've been down this road before. I just don't remember where the road ends. Is there black smoke that ever comes out of that apartment.
Speaker 2: If they're burning the ballots and they have not chosen a pope during conclave.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's when the black smoke comes. Black smoke, So black smoke does not signify death. No smoke signifies I don't think there's any smoke for the death, okay.
Speaker 2: But the College of Cardinals will do the conclave sometime after the funeral. They have said that the death starts the official mourning period, which they just announced a short time ago, that Pope Francis officially died this morning Vatican time, that the body will be placed in a coffin, and outside of the usual kind of pomp and circumstance that surrounds the death of the Pope, that this Pope, Pope Francis, wanted to do it pretty low key and in fact will only be in a wood coffin. It won't be in the wood and the ceremonial lead coffin and the you know, the three different versions of it. It's just going to be him in a coffin laying for viewing, probably starting on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he wears all.
Speaker 1: The stuff, the papal vestments and is exhibited the Pope's death, triggering the nine days of mourning known as the noven Diale.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I'm probably screwing that up.
Speaker 1: Do the thing with their hand, Oh I see, okay, Originally an ancient Roman custom, Italy also declares typically a period.
Speaker 3: Of national mourning. Do you want to know the.
Speaker 1: Words just to to say the Pope has died in Latin or Italian?
Speaker 4: Which language?
Speaker 3: Never mind? This is never mind? Just ignore me. Why do you listen when I speak?
Speaker 4: It's a great question. I do not know the answer to that.
Speaker 2: God, let me let me bridge two worlds here and say President Trump did sign an executive order to fly flags at half staff.
Speaker 5: I just signed an executive to do that, putting the flags of.
Speaker 3: Our executive of order for flag.
Speaker 2: Federal flags and state flags at half mast in honor of Pope Francis.
Speaker 4: He was a good man, worked.
Speaker 5: Hard, he uh, he loved the world, and it's an honor to do that.
Speaker 2: You mean, usually the executive orders we hear about are the big ones.
Speaker 4: I'm sure there are smaller ones like that that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've never heard an executive order signed a fly federal flags at half mast. I've just heard federal flags will be flown at half mast.
Speaker 4: But who says, yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 6: Is that?
Speaker 1: Is that Trump putting him interjecting himself into the death of the pope?
Speaker 3: Is that him making it about him?
Speaker 1: I don't think so, okay, because listen, I celebrate it from somebody who makes everything about them.
Speaker 3: That's me.
Speaker 1: If you're making the death of the Pope about you, well done, game done.
Speaker 4: It's time for swamp watch.
Speaker 5: I'm a politician, I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we got The real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 3: The other side never quits.
Speaker 5: So what I'm not going anywhere So that you.
Speaker 3: Train the swap, I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been.
Speaker 6: You know, Americans have always been going president, but they're not stupid.
Speaker 2: A political plunder is when a politician actually tells the truth that people voted for you with mass swamp watch, they're all counton with Well, we mentioned that many times this morning. I think the most lasting Washington DC issue today is going to be the President going after the Fed Reserve chair Jerome Powell. This morning on Truth Social he ratcheted up pressure on Powell, called him a major loser and said that the US economy's going to slow down unless interest rates are lowered immediately. He said that there is virtually this is the president, virtually no inflation in the US. Costs for energy and most other things are on the decline, he said, but there can be a slowing of the economy unless mister too Late, that's his nickname for Jerome Powell, a major loser, lowers interest rates now in all caps, markets don't like uncertainty. This is perhaps the definition of it. The Dow is down thirteen hundred points. Right now, the S and P five hundred is down three percent, Nasdaq is down three and a half percent.
Speaker 1: US dollar has fallen to its lowest level since twenty twenty two. We've talked about investors running to things like gold, which hit a record high price. Today the benchmark and ten year treasury yield crept up as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't really know what he gets out of this.
Speaker 1: I don't either, because other than he's still pissed off that Jerome Powell spoke at that lunch last week and said that the tariffs could mean will mean inflation at least temporarily. And this is and everyone's been saying this, but I think Trump sees it as his guy is saying that, which is disloyal and therefore you're dead to him.
Speaker 2: Well, I was going to say that he did. Jerome Powell was a Trump nominee, and there's still some debate as to whether or not a president can remove a FED chair like that if there's other avenues to do it, and nobody wants to see that take place. I think Pete heg Seth did get a vote of confidence from the president. Pete Hegseth the Secretary of Defense said doing a great job. Trump said that he Seth is doing a great job despite what appeared to be attacks from disgruntled employees.
Speaker 4: That's what they've said. Now.
Speaker 2: The latest report out of the Pentagon is that Secretary Hegseeth once again shared information in a signal chat group the detailed and imminent attack against the Hoothies. We knew originally that there were Cabinet members on it and a guy named Jeffrey Goldberg who was a writer for The Atlantic. Now there's a second group chat that was apparently in that same time frame, right in the middle of February, that was his wife, a brother, his personal attorney, and that there was information in that chat about that same or similar attacks as well.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, today, a prominent Republican on the House Armed Services Committee, the first sitting Republican lawmaker, is calling on Pete haig Seth to get the act.
Speaker 4: Is this Don Bacon?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Don Bacon says that many Hill Republicans are privately uneasy with hag Seth, and they have been from before go that they have been uneasy with this when his name was floated. He doesn't have a lot of experience, Bacon said, a former Air Force general by the Bye chairs a subcommittee on cyber issues.
Speaker 3: He said, I like.
Speaker 1: Him on Fox, but does he have the experience to lead one of the largest organizations in the world. That's a concern, he called him. I loved this and it sounds very trump esque. An amateur person. Yeah, an amateur person.
Speaker 2: Another descriptor that I've heard before, not about Pete Hegseth, but that I love is non person just that there's no personality.
Speaker 4: There's nothing there.
Speaker 2: I mean, Pete Hegseth has plenty of personality, but in terms of insults, this is what Pete hag Seth said this morning at the Easter Egg role pording the pedagon.
Speaker 5: Back in the hands of war fighters.
Speaker 7: Anonymous smears from distrunctive former employees on old news doesn't matter.
Speaker 6: So I'm happy to be here at the East reg Roll with my dad putting my kids because you know, this is what we're doing it for, these kids right here. This is why we're fighting the fake news media. This is why we're fighting slash and burn Democrats, and this is where we're fighting posters, posters.
Speaker 5: This group, no, no, this.
Speaker 1: Group right here, this seems like that he sounds like an amateur person. Well in that clip here's here's you know, I didn't even find his I found him to be impressive in that signal chat. And I said it when that when that was leaked, I thought he sounded like a leader, like well thought out and making kick an ash absolutely but also succinct for his communications.
Speaker 3: And I thought, I mean, you can agree with him or not.
Speaker 1: I was just saying objectively, he's making sense in this chat in terms of the plan moving forward and what they're going to pin it on and all the things. But when you hear him off the cuff like that, he does sound like he has no business in Washington.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a it's the reaction of I feel like I have to punch back. Yeah, And that's the frustrating thing about I want that guy, whoever, whoever is leading the Pentagon, whoever the Secretary of Defense is, I want him to have that same attitude of we have the most lethal fighting force in the history of the world. Yes, put power back to the war fighters. To use his phrase, don't get caught in these politics, don't And I know that you, I know the immediate reaction is you want to punch, punch back, pushback against these things because you say they're bogus. If their bogus, ignore them, do your job, do what you know that the attitude of I have to go back and immediately react to everything that's brought up against me. That's the part that doesn't seem to be one of those leadership qualities that you would want, right I think. So that's the other quick story out of DO is that Christy Nolan had her purse snatched while she was at a restaurant in DC. Three grand in cash, her passport, her makeup bag, her DHS access card or apartment key, and a bunch of other stuff.
Speaker 3: That's unfortunate, is it.
Speaker 4: Elon Musk is going to be leaving.
Speaker 1: He says he's tired of attacks. We'll talk about what we know when we come back.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: There is a report in the Washington Post that Elon Musk is reportedly leaving his government role because he's tired of what he sees as a litany of vicious and unethical attacks from the left. We don't know when he would leave as a Department of DOGE, the Department of Government Efficiency. His Special Government Employee status will expire at the end of next month. A person familiar with his thinking. That's a funny way to put that, especially when you're talking about someone like Elon Musk. I don't you know Elon Musk is familiar with his thinking. This person thinks that his work at DOGE won't be disminished, diminished excuse me because of his departure, noting that staffers have already established themselves across a slew of federal agencies, but his influence in the administration is appearing to wane. The New York Times reported last week that the acting Commissioner of the IRS was being replaced after Scott Bissent, the Treasury Secretary, complained that Elon had preferred had his preferred candidate installed without Bessent support, so he's annoyed him. Musk has also annoyed other cabinet members, allegedly by failing to coordinate with them in cost cutting moves. In the meantime, web Bush securities analyst Don Ives said that Musk should leave his government role and once again focus his efforts on TESLA, saying that the company is facing a Code red moment.
Speaker 2: I assumed that he was always going to be a numbered I mean, the days would be nice for Elon Muskin.
Speaker 1: There as they should be with anyone who gets in to disrupt, be a disruptor in government.
Speaker 3: Get in, disrupt and then leave. That's what they do.
Speaker 4: Go in, make a mess, leave.
Speaker 2: I mean, the whole plan for him is to cut back on ridiculous amounts of spending and his you know, his key line of waste, fraud and abuse that he's looking for.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this. You see office space. Did the bob stick around?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: You've probably had at some point in your career somebody come in fire a bunch of people. Do they stick around. No, you're looking at what eighteen months, two years. They come in to do what they're coming in to do, and then they leave.
Speaker 4: Okay, but what's he going to do now? I'm non politically.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's already a political figure and it'll probably be a political figure for the rest of his life.
Speaker 4: What does he do to help Tesla?
Speaker 2: I mean, people have a negative attitude towards this guy anyway and the products that he's making. So what does stepping back from government do in order to benefit Tesla.
Speaker 4: Is there anything that he can do?
Speaker 3: You lean in to the hate on Tesla?
Speaker 4: What do you mean?
Speaker 1: I mean, if you're if you're the brand manager for Tesla, do you lean into it and court the people who hate the people who are protesting Tesla?
Speaker 2: I hate the other people, so I'm gonna I don't know. I mean, maybe you're not going.
Speaker 1: To piss those people off more, you might as well lean into it.
Speaker 2: I was talking with a friend who drives a Tesla currently, and he was saying that he's tested a bunch of the electric cars and that Tesla is by far the best leaps and bounds leaps out if nothing else. Because Tesla the car company has been around for so long, They've gone through the growing pains, the iterations that are necessary to come up with a better product, whereas some of these newer companies haven't gone through the same stress tests that Tesla the product has.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, do you think Tesla is going to have the bud light bounce back? Where right now there's protest people hate Tesla. Do you think in ten years when Trump's out of office, Elon Musk is you know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know what he's doing in ten years, but this this, the temperature has been lowered in the discussions how to speak. Do you think Tesla has a people forget about it and they just buy the best product because it's the best product. I mean, I guess it's apples and oranges comparing it to bud light, because for every bud light, there's a million different light beers to. I mean, I know, if you're a purist and a loyalist, that's not true. But for the common guy, like, if I can't have a bud light, I'll have a milk glob Ultra, I'll have a cores light or whatever.
Speaker 3: Right Tesla, it's kind of like.
Speaker 4: Tesla and everybody else exactly. Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's that's why I'm curious about what his plan would be. Let's say he does step down out of, you know, his government role and then goes back to Tesla. What does that first board meeting look like. Does he say I got some ideas we're going to get back onto everybody's good side.
Speaker 3: What's that?
Speaker 2: Or is he just double birds all the way through and go I don't care if you don't like my product and don't buy it.
Speaker 1: It's really a blip on the radar. Elon Musk's involvement in this administration. History will see it as a blip on the radar that he was there for five minutes.
Speaker 3: People.
Speaker 1: I think Tesla is a much bigger imprint than the blip that Elon Musk has been in the Oval office.
Speaker 2: That's interesting because I think the bigger role that he will play in this full story is the amount of money that he gave to candidate Trump before he was president. You know that that helped in the election process. I think that's probably potentially a bigger story because of the I mean just right and checks left and right with lots and lots and lots of zeros.
Speaker 1: I wonder who would win in the intramural sun Day Sports family event, Philip Rivers kids, Nick Cannon's kids, Elon Musk's kids. They could all field a whole team. I guess Philip Rivers kids would would kick more ass than the other ones, just because they have the athletic DNA.
Speaker 4: It would be a fun Olympics event.
Speaker 2: Twelve kids twelve can I imagine plus kids? There were times I would too, was like full time. Yeah, couldn't do it. Of course it is because I'm sure you're doing it right. And that great comedian I don't remember who it was, but it was like, you can't when you go from two to three.
Speaker 3: It's you know, when you're out, Yeah, exactly, And that's hard and it's rarely successful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're quick. Oh man, little no man.
Speaker 4: All right, a little bit more.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be talking with Raymond Arroyo, host of the Arroyo Grande podcast, coming up in a couple of minutes, regarding the the cultural implications of the loss of Pope Francis.
Speaker 4: That's coming up next.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on Demand from KFI.
Speaker 2: Vatican has officially come out with a death certificate for Pope Francis. Died at the age of eighty eight earlier today at the Saint Martha residence there in the Vatican. They said he passed away peacefully, and they confirmed a short time ago that Pope Francis died of a cerebral stroke and subsequent heart failure which led to a coma. The irreversible heart failure as well, according to the death certificate, and originally they said this was not connected to the pneumonia and breathing problems that he had suffered just from a couple of months ago. But he was in pretty bad shape then, so he had. One of the last things he did was the was the Easter blessing from just yesterday. Joining us now Raymond Arroyo, internationally recognized journalist, broadcaster, New York Times bestselling author. You can listen to his podcast, The Royal Grandee right here on the iHeart app Raymond. Thanks for taking time for us today.
Speaker 6: Oh it's my pleasure. Thank you for having.
Speaker 2: Me give me some ten thousand foot level look at Pope Francis. The death, unfortunately, is not unexpected. He was a pretty old guy and had some health issues recently. But what kind of what kind of a pope was he? How did he differ from his predecessors?
Speaker 6: Well, look, it's a complex legacy. I mean I knew I knew his predecessors. I knew John Paul and Benedict personally. I mean we were friendly. I would see them every time I went to the Vatican, had dinners and lunches with them. So this was a marked departure from the continuity of Benedict and John Paul the Second, And what I mean by that is that they tried to limit and define what happened in Vatican Two. They were trying to clarify the Gospel message and bring clarity out of confusion. Pope Francis very early in his pontificate, he spoke to a youth gathering and he said, go out there and make a mess. That's the quote, and that's sort of the touchstone of this papacy. He believed in kind of kicking over all the pieces and then getting everybody together to sort out what the church thought where the church should go. He believed in these big sonodyl meetings where you brought lay people in and bishops and non believers and everybody and their dogs, and to have a great, big, you know, throwdown about where the church should proceed. And he thought that was the best way forward. It's a complex and it's a mixed legacy, to be honest, I think he ushered in a period of a lot of confusion chaos in what the church teaches. On the other hand, he was a emblem and a symbol of humility going out to the peripheries and places in the world that the Church had never been reaching out to people, whether it be immigrants or LGBT folks, in a way that the church hadn't before. So the public image of the man and what happened inside the church are really two different faces of his legacy.
Speaker 1: My gut says, the church has had enough of that of make a mess. I think that the pendulum is probably going to swing the other way with this next selection. Somebody who turns more internally, somebody who is more concerned with the church, is not going to wade into making any headlines causing any drama, and we'll just keep the main thing the thing.
Speaker 6: Well, I think you're right. Look, people just want the church to be the church. Well, this Easter Sunday, thirty to seventy percent increase in the number of baptisms year over year these dioceses saw in the Catholic Church. That's extraordinary, and most of that is driven by millennials and young men coming into the church. What do you think they want. I spoke to some of them down at Old Saint Patrick's here in New York, and to a person, they told me, we're looking for orthodoxy, we want clarity of teaching. We came so we could understand the history of the world and how we operate and live in it. They're looking for and unfortunately, for too many years, I think the Church has been more concerned with climate change, and you know, the migration policy Jesus didn't come to, you know, settle those things, and the poor you'll always have with you, and the Church always reaches out to the poor. It should. But when you're talking about church doctrine, that has to be immovable, and that's Peter's job. You know. The pope is just the successor of Saint Peter. For those non Catholics listening, remember Jesus tells him, you're the rock upon which I'll build this church. Tend my sheep, feed my sheep. That's the pope's job, just that, tending the flock and feeding the flock. And that means clarity of doctrine. And I worry Pope Francis at times muddied the waters of it in his exploration of where we should go and confused a lot of people along the way.
Speaker 2: We're about to embark on a couple of weeks, if not a few weeks of very very solemn ceremony. Is not just obviously the viewing of the pope's body, the funeral, but conclave as well. What is the Vatican like in times like this? Does it shut down or is it become sort of a hotbed of activity?
Speaker 6: Oh no, no, you were going to We are all going to get a front row seat in a way that people, you know, rarely do to the ritual, the pageantry of selecting it, but well, remembering and burying a pope and then the selection of a pope, the process, the movements of that are really beautiful and amazing to see. And you look some of the first formal election for pope was held in ten fifty nine, so this goes back a long time. Before that, it was just popular acclamation, you know, the bishops and the people kind of get in the square and yell out, oh, this guy should be pope. There were as you can imagine, that was. That was a messy process, a lot messier than what we have today. But what you'll see is there'll be nine days of morning. Though I just heard word that they may be condensing that, and this pope, true to form, has decided to sort of flout tradition. You know, all the popes are mostly buried in Saint Peter's in the crypt of Saint Peter's or in Saint Peter's basilica. Uh. Pope Francis is elected to be buried at Saint Mary Major, which was kind of a major basilica and his favorite church he is today. We saw the instruction his last Will and Testament where he says, I want to be buried in a plain tomb. The only thing that will say is Francis on it, nothing else, just Francis. I mean, so he always kind of went for this very humble but diminished approach.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a little vanity there and putting your name on the actual box, you know what I mean, little vanity.
Speaker 6: Well, but but you know, shouldn't say Pope Francis yea, the Pope? Yeah, you know, you pontificas Maximus. You want to see that this is a regardless of the man, the title has weight and the title and the offices to be re And I worry you diminish that when you say I just want to By the way, he's being buried in a They just placed his body in a wooden box. They're going to put it on the floor of Saint Peter's. Visitation every other papal funeral I've ever been to. You know, it's a grand They have boxes, you know, a lead box, a wooden box, and marble box, and they put him on a platform so you know that sort of eye level where you can go and give reverence to the pope, pray before his body and move on. In Saint Peter's Basilica. This time he's literally going to be at the floor.
Speaker 1: Well, even in death, that's the way he operated, right, you know, I mean that.
Speaker 6: It is and it shot from the hip. It was an improvisitory kind of papacy, which I think led to some wonderful things. It was exciting to watch, but within the church it was the mess that he you know that he often advocated sadly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll be interesting, how if you were a betting man, Raymond, how many days do you think it will take? I believe they have twenty days the cardinals to get together and have their four vote a day to wit this field down to two before they make their selection. I think Deborah said in her news that the average time is four days something like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's about it. I think three days probably, But except here's the only wild card. These cardinals don't know each other. Benedict and John Paul the Second's cardinals. A. They were elected and vetted properly. They thoroughly vetted all of the men that they made cardinal, Okay, so they kind of knew the men they were placing there. Francis, like his funeral arrangements, like his trips, like so many things, it was kind of from the hip, So he appointed men he didn't really know. They were not vetted. So they're not all certainly not ideologically in line with Pope Francis, but more than that, they don't know each other. So this is the first time many of them are meeting in one room, and he kind of kept them at arm's length. He didn't bring the cardinals Grome regularly. His send the big Senate we heard about over many years. That was layman and a select group of bishops. It was only by invitation. Every cardinal wasn't invited. So this is going to be getting to know you period. That may have some bumps along the road here, meaning the conclavet could go a little longer.
Speaker 3: Interesting, I didn't know that about the cardinals all.
Speaker 2: Right, Raymond, awesome stuff, wild card, Thank you so much for your time today.
Speaker 6: Thank you my friends. Great to talk to you.
Speaker 4: Raymond and roy Against.
Speaker 2: Great check out the podcast a Royal Grande on the on the iHeart we should do more.
Speaker 4: I don't know Raymond Against.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't know what would call for that. Maybe we do more pope stuff around here.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: We have gotten a report that we have a naked man who's laughing at people on the freeway. And I've never heard a Monday getting off to a better start. I commend this man. I too want to get naked and laugh at people on the freeway. How freeing happened? How freeing? Jenny Harmon is joining us. She's got all the details.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, it's happening in Grand Terrace on the two fifteen north right past Washington. He jumped out of the car, pulled his car into the center divider. And maybe it's hot in the car. He doesn't have air conditioning.
Speaker 4: I don't know it is warm out there today.
Speaker 7: But he stripped down and he's showing people what he's got.
Speaker 2: And would you say it's a it's a stop sign or a yield sign.
Speaker 7: What's working with I'm not sure. I'm trying to get the cameras on, but I can only see it on the.
Speaker 2: HV page, trying desperately to get a mean, it's a fair question.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you've got if you've got something.
Speaker 1: To to show the people, you know, speed bump or tax strip, it's it's this is the time spring is sprung. He has risen, time to welcome in a new season, a new feeling of faith and warmth and right.
Speaker 3: But yeahs he risen?
Speaker 1: That has he has he? And what we'll do it?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Is he an F one fifty guy? Is he a Tesla guy? I mean, what vehicle would get us to that point?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I'm trying to look and see what kind of a car he's gone. Now doesn't show what kind of car he's he's now walking over to the right shoulder. But yeah, he was in and out of the lanes, laid down a little bit there, just airing things out. Oh wow, looks like he's getting over to the shoulder. Yeah, you know it, man, It.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that long ago that they recommended getting naked in your bottom half when it's sunny. Out, and all last week it was overcast. You know, remember that when we had that hell of last week and the sun didn't come out, and so this is really the first weekday of sunshine in quite a long time. So I think people need to be given allowances for that behaving.
Speaker 7: He's just trying to get a little vitamin D.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly what's wrong, garthing.
Speaker 4: I just feel like you guys are going.
Speaker 3: You threw your her hands up, and I know you move your chair back.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 4: I am also trying to see if there're are camera.
Speaker 3: I heard it and he was laughing at people, Jenny, is that the case he was?
Speaker 7: He was he was laughing and running and laying down.
Speaker 3: He's just having a great night time. Think it sounds like a nice way to spend the morning.
Speaker 4: Right, it's a Monday.
Speaker 3: It's a Monday, exactly. Well, wonderful. Thank you for the report.
Speaker 1: That's my favorite traffic report I've heard in a long time.
Speaker 4: You get some pictures. Shannon wants to see them, definitely, I sure do. Thank you. Jinny.
Speaker 2: All right, you may not know the name Jeanie Rice, but Jeanie Rice ran the Boston Marathon today. I don't have a time on her yet. But she just turned seventy seven years old. Now she's not the only one over say the age of fifty five or seventy that's running the Boston Marathon. But I guarantee you she's gonna run at the fast fastest her world record marathon, by the way, for her age group, three point thirty three three hours in thirty three minutes in last year's London Marathon. They are studying Genie Rice not just because she's fast, but because everything else about her is basically as fit as a twenty.
Speaker 3: Five year old bionic woman.
Speaker 2: Researchers are trying to figure out how we stay fit as we age, and she is, probably, at least to the scientist's recollection, the best specimen to study. An assistant professor nutrition and movement scientists at a university in the Netherlands is one of the authors of a study that says she exemplifies how consistent training, favorable genetics can partly defy conventional aging processes. She says it's never too late to start exercising. She started with running a mile, Like you said, the whole process. You know, you get this running propaganda. People convince you that running is great, and then you get out there in the first one hundred yards feel like you're being dragged by in a truck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they really do pepper it in from time to time.
Speaker 1: You know, you're just perusing the news, just living your life, reading the news, and all of a sudden, it's like ten reasons why it's so super easy to start running, and you fall for every once in a while.
Speaker 4: She said she started running at the age of thirty five.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's inspirational.
Speaker 4: And her goal was simply to drop weight.
Speaker 2: She had gained weight, I guess on a trip to Korea when she was visiting family, and she said, figured, if I jogged around the block, I'd lose five pounds right away. I was only running one or two miles at a time, and I didn't even have running shoes. But a year later she was running in the Cleveland Marathon. No serious training, no regimen, no coaches or anything like that. That's how wished three forty five for her first marathon.
Speaker 1: That's how it That's how it usually works, right, Somebody who doesn't run decides to run one day and realizes that they love it.
Speaker 3: It's like Forrest Gump.
Speaker 1: Everybody you've never seen the major motion picture Forrest Gump.
Speaker 4: But the love of running.
Speaker 2: I know people say I love if you're running outside somewhere, for example, I love running in nature. I love running in a forest, I love running through my town or whatever it is. But the people that I know that love running love stopping running. Like that's that's when the endorphin thing comes.
Speaker 4: Is when you're.
Speaker 2: Done and that you know it really is quite a high those minutes or an hour or whatever after you run a long distance the best, it's great.
Speaker 1: I do not feel it in the middle of it, though, Like some people say, speaking of Forrest.
Speaker 2: Gump, she just ran her one hundred and thirty third marathon. One hundred and thirty fourth would.
Speaker 6: Be for her.
Speaker 1: But I don't think they should look at her for like tips on aging how we age, because she's definitely cut differently. Did you know that Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption all came out the same year. There's a lot of good years in the early nineties before China, before China ruined everything.
Speaker 4: They ruined our movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean the movies had to be marketed to China, and it ruined everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, think about it. You think about it. I have tell me what to do. All right, we'll come back.
Speaker 3: I wasn't telling you what to do.
Speaker 4: Sounds like you were.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, think about the great movies that at that age of the early nineties, there were.
Speaker 2: A couple of years like that where you when you think of some absolutely classic, yeah, top one hundred movies, and now they're all crap.
Speaker 4: And they came out in the same year.
Speaker 3: All right, catering to China.
Speaker 4: Next hour. It's humongous, It's pretty big.
Speaker 2: If you missed any part of the show, go back and check out the podcast at KFI AM six forty dot com, slash Gary and Shannon, or or check out the iHeart app. Just type in Gary and Shannon and our podcast pops up.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, tips on how to get off my lawn and why the television's ruining this generation?
Speaker 4: Hit the thing. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap