Speaker 1: Kt r H Garden Line does not necessarily endorse any of the products or services advertised on this program. Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Skip Richter.
Speaker 2: Sho Crazy Trim. Just watch him as thanks to.
Speaker 3: See botasy.
Speaker 4: Gas not a sign.
Speaker 2: Gas the salmon, good horning.
Speaker 4: Are you there all right? Thanks for joining in. Listen. We have got a lot of gardening to talk about today and I'm looking forward to doing it. I have been really busy outside myself this week, and I've got a lot of plans to get a lot more done. We are finally getting some of that fall weather. I know, the next couple of days and not quite fall, but close. But boy, this coming week it is cooling off nicely. In fact, it's the next two weeks really just what they say, the kind of weather that just makes you want to go about, not want to go back inside, you know, Chamber of commerce weather, U and I would say, gardening weather. It's going to be. The temperatures are gonna be mild enough, a little bit crispy. Just to kind of help us forget that there was this thing called summer. We just somehow survived for the last what was it ten months? It felt like it. Hey, I'm your host, Skip Richter, and if you would like to give me a call this morning on guarden Line seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven to one three two one two k t r H. We love feed stores here on guard Line and League City Feed down in League City is quintessential feedstore. It's one of the old time feedsure. It's been around since gosh, over forty years ago. I believe League City Feed was created in a place where there used to be an Okra patch. Now anything that starts in an Okra patch can't go wrong, right, you know, I'm biased toward Okra. But anyway, the grandfather built it over forty years ago and the Thunderberg's family is still running League City Feed the old time service. They carry the bags out for you and you know when you go in there. First of all, it's feed store, so you got quality feeds, especially things like feeds for your pets are there. But when you go in, your lawn and garden is going to get fed too because they have the exact fertilizers that you hear me promote here on garden Line, things like nitrofoss products, azomite, Microlife, Nelson plant food. You see what I'm saying. They also carry the things you need to control pests, weeds and diseases. So when you go in there and come out, you're going to you just find in terms of getting your place looking really good. Again, the phone number is two eight one three three two sixteen twelve. Give you that again. Two eight one three three two one six one two. Open Monday through Saturday nine to six. You can swing by there after work and closed on Sunday. League City Feed everything that you would need. By the way, they if you are anywhere near League City, el coming to Reale, Santa Fe, San Leone, Lamark Baycliff, Webster, you get the idea Dickinson, clear Lake City, Well, just head over the League City. It's your hometown feed store there Highway three, just a few blocks south the Highway ninety six in League City. We do love feed stores. I like to smell deal. Do you agree with that? You know, you go into a feed store and there's just this I don't know. I guess it's the primarily the smell of the feed that you're smelling, and it just it just is earthy, and I enjoy it. I love that love that place. I was checking out plans for all seasons recently, and you know plants for all seasons is they've been around since nineteen seventy three. The Flowery family built that a long long time ago, and they have not only survived the years, they have thrived, and just more and more people recognized that they are the place to go for that area. You go in, you take samples, you take questions. You know, maybe what's this bug? It may be what would be a good rose bush from my front yard. They can answer them because they are gardeners in the area themselves, and they have been for decades. Anything that's happening seasonally, it's going to be happening there at well at up plants for all seasons. For example, they got the onions in the ten fifteen. That's a big old white yellow or excuse me, yellow onion. That's just so sweet. They've got red creoles. I grew some of those last year. Excellent, excellent onion, white mudas just ready to go in your gardens. Time to go ahead and get those things out, So get it done. If you need bulbs, you know, the one shot wonder things like the tulips and hyacinths and things that are so gorgeous. You can just create a really beautiful bull bed. You're gonna want to take them in and put them in your fridge, keep them around, and so right as you get to the end of the Christmas season, that would be a good time to stick those bulbs in the ground because they're gonna pop up. They're gonna bloom and look really good. Other holiday decorations like holiday cactus that just looks stunning right now, they're beautiful. I have so many of them. Every year I buy one. Now I've probably got eight of them, and I just keep buying more because I love those things. The kind of hot I'll say new plan me. It's been around a long time, but lately the adenium, the desert rows. Oh it looks so good. And they've got those there, but of course they do. They have everything there. Plants for all Seasons. They're on Highway two Ford, just north of Luetta. Plants for All Seasons dot Com. Here's the number two eight one three, seven six sixteen forty six. We're going to go ahead and head out to the phones this morning. Seven one three two one two k t R H. And we're going to head out to Cove and talk to Dennis. Hello, Dennis, welcome to Guardenline.
Speaker 5: Thank you Skip. I have a magnolia tree and I sent some pictures where I have leaves turning brown, and I suspect it's from the lack of rain. We were gone a lot of October, so it didn't get any rain in that period. But when I got back it looked fine, and then of course we had some rain recently, but it's kind of right after that rain that it started turning brown. So if you can see from the pictures, it's got sort of three main branches off of the tree. One of them's almost all brown, and then there's a closer pick sure that shows several leaves, and then a close up a one leaf that's like part ground. So that's what I'm asking if you can tail from the pictures if that's just drought stress or if there's you know, something that magnolia trees get that that might be what it is.
Speaker 4: Well, Dennis, is not a disease of the leaves. The way of drowning is occurring. It's if anything, it may be something going on with a plumbing of the plant, meaning anything that restricts the water flow up to the top.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: That could be cut roots, it could be a rod, It could be lack of water in the soil. It could be some sort of a borer that's disrupting that flow by cutting the tubes going from the top to the bottom or from the bottom of the top. I don't think it's a bore, but that is very unusual, not a common symptom to see. I would for right now now just kind of go out and check the water, make sure something didn't going on there, you know, weird it's happened like a water line break or something you know that's leaking, and uh, just look for something really unusual, and if not, I would just kind of wait and watch on it because I don't see any symptoms that are treatable. So just make sure that you know that it has water, but something else weird is and going on underground.
Speaker 5: Okay about it? All right, Okay, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: All right, sir, you bet going back. If anything develops any any further on it, be happy to do that. All right, folks, I'm gonna have to run to a break right here. I'll be right back if you'd like to give us a call. Seven one three two one two KTRH. Hey, welcome back, welcome back. Good to have you with us here on Garden Line. You'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two ktr H. Hey, you've heard me talk about quality home products of Texas. They are a PERV of the Generac automatic stand by generator. Now that's become about the highest itom in town. This past year. You know, two storms knocked out power for weeks on end, and now everybody's like, okay, okay, I get it, I need a generator. Well, this isn't just a generator you drag around. This sets up outside your house and whenever the power goes out, you don't have to go out there and gas it up and pull a string of fire it up or anything. It automatically comes on and it is It is the kind of product that has the quality that lasts the kind you want. Now you can buy generators are a lot of places, but when you go with quality, you're getting their service and customer care. The customer care that's won them the Better Business Bureaus Pinnacle Award eight times. Now the highest most prestigious customer service award in the industry. They've won it. I mean, I could go on. This year they won next Door's Neighborhood FAE for outstanding service and Products. They got fourteen thousand five star reviews. When you call them, they walk you through the process, the whole thing, the whole process, They walk you through it, and so it is really really simple, and you know they're going to take care of everything. They don't go out and sub out contactors. They hire their own. By the way, they are hiring licensed electricians and plumbing pros right now, and you need to check that out. A great company to work with, lots of good benefits. But as a customer, this is the kind of company you want to go with because they do it right. They do it. I could go on and on about everything from the thickness of the slab they pour to working with all the regulations and taking care of that for you, jumping through all those hoops. Quality Home Products of Texas. Don't buy your generator anywhere else. QUALITYTX dot Com phone number seven to one three Quality seven one three Quality. I'm going to head out to Willis, Texas now and talk to Ann Hello Ann, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 7: Thanks yep. Quick question, Carolina sapphires typis would it tolerates our summer heat?
Speaker 4: It can take the heat. Uh. You just want any kind of a cypress or juniper or thing like that. You want to make sure they get adequate drainage and just keep it just trying to avoid over spray in the foliage. Uh, you know, the keeping it wet all the time and things because you know, foliage diseases and things like that are worse when and some people sprinklers just come on too much.
Speaker 7: Okay, all right, perfect, all right, thank you.
Speaker 3: Well that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, thanks for the call. Appreciate that you take care sure by all right, Willis, Texas. I used to have a peach orchard in Willis, Texas. That's right, I did. It wasn't a big one. It was like two acres something like that, but oh my goodness, and we had strawber patch two half acres of strawberries. Pick your own. Boy, it makes my mouthwater just remember in those days. That was that was fun. I learned a lot of things. You know. It's one thing to go to go to school and get a degree in something like horticulture. You know that that's good. I mean, you learn a lot of good stuff. Then when you get out there and start doing it, when you become a when you are a gardener and you garden all the time and every year throws your curve, and then you actually go through the process. So what does it take to clearland and plant peaches and put in irrigation and take care of them and deal with things. We learn a lot that way. That's a fun thing about gardening.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 4: One of my favorite things is it's it's never boring. It's always something new. You may hope it would get boring every now and then, but it just doesn't. It doesn't because because you're always learning. There's some new pest that arrives. There's something like, you know, you grow a tomato for five years in a row, and no two years are the same. One year this disease or that disease may hit or the year you know, we just made deluges of rain that are coming down and you're dealing with and it's just it's always something different, and it just makes it kind of fun and exciting. It is definitely not cookie cutter when you're dealing with nature, the the changes, the things that are going on. It is not like engineering where you add your numbers right, you get your angles right, and everything works like it's supposed to. Gardening. What do they say, the vicissitudes of nature. Maybe it's too early for using crazy new world like words, but vicissitudes of nature is so true when it comes to garden. But that's what makes it fun. That's what makes it fun. It's always new, it's always hopeful. If you got plants you're looking at right now and you don't like they're ugly, they're dying, or something's going on with them, it's okay, pull them up, put some new ones in. You can do that. That we do a lot. To be a good gardener. You've got to kill a lot of plants. How about that. I'm giving you permission to kill plants. That's not what you expect when you listen to a gardening show. But it's okay. We can replace them, you know when it comes to success. So with plants, you want to set the foundation. And I say all the time, brown stuff before green stuff, which means get the soil right before you put the plants in. If you want to have success, Asamite is a micronutrient supplement that helps you get the soil right. It creates the bank account of nutrients and the soil. When you apply asmite, you are applying those things that the plant has to have but needs in very small quantities, so you don't put a lot out. It goes a long way. You buy a bag of azamite and it'll covers six to twelve thousand square feet. You know, in my vegetable garden, probably ten pounds over one thousand square feets about all I put out. But I'm telling you, when you create the bank account, then three hundred and sixty five days of the year, plants need nutrients. They need a variety over twenty different nutrients that the plant's going to use, So you got to get them in the bank account. So when it needs to make the withdrawal, which it does every day, they're there for that. And that's what asmite does. Asimit texas dot com. If you want to find more information, it's time to get it out there on the lawns. If you haven't done it in a while, get it out there and get it done. Don't think of it as in place of your regular terf fertilizing, but think of it as a supplement to that by providing those trace minerals of micro nutrients I need to fertilize my own lawn. I've been so busy with some other projects that I haven't taken care of getting it fertilized. And get a little late for me, because normally I like to fertilize even earlier than this. But it's not too late to do that. Still time to go out and get that done, and I'll be doing that this week. In fact, that's one of the things that's on the list. How about you, We've got great weather to be outside. I hope you are thinking about the kinds of things that you might want to do out there in your gardens. Have you been out to Nelson Water Garden and Nursery recently? They're out in Katie, Texas. If you're in Houston going out west on ten, you just go all the way to Katie Fort Benn Road and you turn north. When you head north, it's not very far, just a little bit up the street there on the right hand side Nelson Water Gardens and Nursery. Nursery and water Gardens. They've got unbelievable selection of plants. Now, they're known for the water gardens, nationally known really for their water gardens. They've been doing this longer just about anybody. They know how to do it. They even invented that disappearing fountain where the water comes out of the big beautiful vase and goes down the side and then recirculates. They invented that, and they know how to do it. Then they can create one for you, or they can take you know, they can say the pieces and parts and you can go home do it yourself. You want to do that, They're willing to go either way on that. They are loaded up on all kinds of beautiful plants. Right now, if you're going to go see somebody for Thanksgiving, maybe go to a mill, why not take them a house plant from Nelson Water Garden and Nursery. They have some beautiful, beautiful house plants. Right when you walk in the store, you have to walk past all of them, and it's just like, WHOA, I like houseplants that aren't just green. You know, there's some other colors or some varrogation in the leaves, and that's they got lots of that stuff. Make a really nice gift someone you're going over to have ambule with. You need color like cycloman and pansies, petunia or Viola's rather in there. They got that and this week, I believe it's on Wednesday. This week the Christmas trees arrived there and they got a nice variety of Christmas trees coming in. So take advantage of that. Also right down on the calendar for the kids on December seventh. December seventh, from nine to eleven am cookies with Santa. Santa showing up. The kids can come and enjoy the I have hot cocoa and cookies with the Big the Big Man himself. So go out and see Santa Nelson Water Gardens and Nursery Phone number seven one three two one two kt r Age seven one three two one two KTRH. Give me call if you got some questions and we will be glad to visit with you about those kinds of things. This week I was reorganizing my garage and now you're thinking, okay, this is a gardening show. Why am I hearing about your garage? Well, I'll tell you why. Let me finish. Don't ask the questions on it? All right? So I I have all kinds of products and things, you know, anything that you hear me recommend on garden line. I get some of the product, I try it out, I test it and see how you know. So when I'm telling you, hey, you need to use this product, it's because I've used the product and I know it works, and so I just it just become a big mess. You know how garages are. They tend to gather stuff and they become a big mess. So I was cleaning it all up, got some new shelves, getting it organized and everything in there. And my tools. I noticed that my tools have not been properly cared for. And don't tell anybody I said that on the air, But yes, I know better than that. And I was looking at several different tools that had just us starting them, a little bit of rust on them. It's like, oh my gosh. So if that is what your tools are looking like, it's time to get those cleaned up. You know a lot of things are getting put away for the season pretty quick here, lawnmowers and whatnot. You want to get the blade sharpened. You want to make sure that everything you know is ready to go for storage. I had some pruners that needed a little bit of oiling. I took a little what do you call it, steel wool and just kind of rubbed that little fine dusting of rust that was on there off, get it oiled and ready to put away. And then I found another tool for a real cool, little kind of hand hoe that I have, putting it up, soil knives, different things, just getting them in order, the handles, did a little standing on the wooden handles to make them nice and smooth. Put some oil on the handles, some tongue oil or I use a mineral oil to on the handles, and it just feels good to get it all in order because you're taking care of it. Because listen, cheap tools are cheap. They're not just inexpensive, they're cheap. And when you go out and you buy these cheap prunters, they don't last. You end up throwing them away, and in the long term you spend more money than on a good quality set of printers. But if you buy good quality printers, take care of them, take care of them, keep them sharp, keep them oiled, keep the handles as I described, smooth and well oiled as well, and they'll last you forever. And if you're looking for Christmas gifts for gardeners on your list, there is nothing like a really good quality tool, not just a cheap piece of jump. I'm talking about a quality tool. So a printer that's quality. You can replace the blades. You don't buy new prunters all the time. You just replace the blades periodically, and it is really easy to do.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 4: Anyway, I was practicing what I preach a little bit there and getting that all cleaned up. It it's time for me to take a quick break here. I will be back the number seven one three two one two KTRH. Stay tuned, Welcome back to garden Line. Good to have you with us today. Seriously, it's always good to talk to gardens, you know. That's one of the fun things about gardening is visiting with gardeners, whether you were sharing ideas about plants, sharing scenes or cuttings, or or just let's just let me say this delicately, just bragging about you know, how many tomatoes you grew last year or whatever. I mean, We'll we'll put up with any of that stuff here on guarden Line. Within reason, right within reason. No gardening is fun. It is an enjoyable it's a social event and it's something that I just believe we were made to be out there in nature. I think that's part of the deal, and gardening is a great way to do that. It is one of the most important things you can do to your lawn really almost in the year, but especially when we're trying to recover from struggles that the loan has been having, is to do a compost top dressing after you do a core aeration. And green Pro does that if you live within forty five miles of Magnolia, so basically the north west quadrant of Houston, So think of Interstate forty five, think of Interstate ten, that northwest quadrant up there, so Spring, Cypress, Woodlands, Conrad, Willis, Magnolia, Montgomery, you know, west central Houston, Cypress, all that area that that is their serve area. And what they do is they come out and they do a core aeration, pulling plugs out of the soil, dropping them on the surface. That's what you want. Looks like you had a little miniature dog convention on the lawn when you get through, because you got those little plugs soil up on top. Then they put a compost top dressing down falls down in the holes, gets oxygen in the root system, gets organic matter, composts down in the root system, and it stimulates the lawn to do it. Now they've got to deal with on on through fall, which means we're getting toward the end of that. They will aerate your lawn for free, air eight for free when you purchase a two yard minimum of composts top dressing service. So two yard minimum, but they come out, they air eight, They put that composts top dressing down and you're good to go, and your lawn will look better next spring. When you do that, it will I mean, it'll look better sooner in spring. But I'm just saying it is the way to get out of the situation where it's struggling from heat and drought and chinchbugs for whatever you're going through, especially compaction. That aeration is perfect for compaction. Price to start at five seventy five plus tax. Here is how you get a hold of them. Two eight one three five one forty seven thirty three greenpro dot net greenpro dot net two eight one three five to one forty seven thirty three. We're going to go out now to Paarland and talk to Greg, Hey, Greg, Welcome to Guarden Line. Hi Skip, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 9: Sure so I sent well, I sent you earlier in the week some images of a weed that's been kind of a pest in my lawn. And I have a tiff Way Bermuda four nineteen lawn for gosh, but the last twenty twenty five years. It's not like there's a ton of it, but I just can't seem to get rid of it. I use a you know, I've used various products from the big box stores like Ortho and BioAdvance and Image and things like that, and the weed will kind of wither a little bit, turn a little bit yellow, you know, crinkle up on the corners, but it never really you know, kills it so and when you try to like pull the weed out, it it basically you know, you can't pull it out by the root. So I think it kind of grows on a like a horizontal root like a you know, have rhizomes or maybe it has tubers on it or something like that that makes it more resistant and just wandering, you know. From the images that I sent to you, like I said, it's kind of a little low leaf, but you know, leafy thing. It has two to three leaves, maybe one to two inches high, and it gets a single petreole that comes out.
Speaker 4: Sure, and uh, I'm I got those photos. Okay, yeah, I got your photos and the congratulations. You're the first person to ever send me this weed.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: It's called Adder's tongue and it's a native weed in our area. In fact, there's several types of Adder's tongue around the country. But uh it no one's ever sent me a picture of it in the lawn before. But the problem with it, the reason you're not getting results is is it's kin to ferns, even though it doesn't look like a fern at all, but it is. It is it's like a fern. And so you know, the things that kill grasses don't kill it. The things that kill broad leaves don't tend to kill it either. I don't. I have not. When I got your picture, I thought, you know, I don't even know how you kill that. And I looked around. I didn't see any controls because nobody's out there saying it's the problem. I got to kill it.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: And so I don't know what to tell you in terms of what would work. The if I were you, you've tried. You mentioned some products in your email that you've tried, and most of those are going to be things that kill broadleaf weeds. One of them has some sedge sedge control in it. And if none of that's working, I might go to just a general purpose weed killer, something with a glyphosate in it, round up kind of thing, and I'll put it on my weed wiper, and I'll if you go to my website, garden skip dot com. Yeah, now before you if you haven't made one, before you go make one. You might just get a little bit of that and and dab it right on a weed, you know, just kind of a hand and see if it affects it or not, because I don't I don't know, really, I don't know. A furnace side out there, fern family of plants, and see if that works. If it does, then you can go to the weed wiper. You're going to get some low brown spots because that weed's so low down in the grass. It's hard to get it on the weed without getting it on your grass. But the more you could do that. Another thing people will do is they'll put a rag over the end of a spray wand and then like a twist tie to hold it on. And that way you just dampen the rag with a little squirt of the from the wand and then you use that dampened drag to dab it straight down onto the weed. That's another option, but again that's the best shot I can give you. I don't know what else would do it that wouldn't be also extremely damaging to your lawn.
Speaker 9: Okay, yeah, you know they round deep has a kind of a stick that kind of looks like the odorant stick.
Speaker 10: Would that work too? Okay, comes in a solid. Yeah, if you could get it, Yeah, if you could get on there. That's the problem with those is trying to get it on there. But I would just get some and just dab it and see if it works. And if it doesn't, I think you're going to be looking kind of hand digging it. But being a fern, it doesn't have a normal root system as you were describing. Hey, I've got to run, Greg, but good luck, good luck with that, and thanks for thank you very much for your call.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that. Wow. Well, I don't have enough time to jump onto another call here, so when we come back Jim and clear Lake and Jobby a Mission Valley. You'll be our first two up. All right, welcome back, folks. Good to have you with us. You're listening to Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and I want to tell you this. If you are looking to take care of your lawn and garden and have it looking beautiful, bountiful, all the above. Ace Hardware Stores is your one stop for all that fertilizers, for weed control, for disease control. Do you need tools? Do you need things like from everything from a garden hose to printers, do you name it? Do you want to decorate that outdoor area and just make it nice? You know, this week we're we're heading over to some friend's house and we're going to be enjoying some outdoors during this great cool weather we're having. And they've got a beautiful little patio strung up with those little I call them beer lights, but you know, the little kind of like outdoor ambiance light strings that people put out kind of reminds me of a little outdoor beer garden kind of thing. Well. ACE has all kinds of stuff like that. We're still doing a lot of barbecue in Ace is the place to get the best quality barbecuers. You're going to find things, you know, brands like Big Green Egg and Traeger and Weber and all the supplies you need to go with it. It is still okay to get that fire ant baited out to shut them down so when you come out next spring. They're not just everywhere. And ACE has a number of different quality fireant baits that you can choose from. So, in other words, if you want to make your outdoors more livable, go to Acehardware dot com. If you go to that Acehardware dot Com, there is a store locator and you can find the stores that are near you. There's over forty in the greater Houston area. I'm going to head out now to Jim and Clearlay. Hey, Jim, welcome to garden Line Morning. Skip.
Speaker 11: About a year a little bit more ago, I bought a couple of Duranta and put them in my front shrubbery.
Speaker 6: They really did.
Speaker 11: Well, and of course the hurricane almost took them out, so I had to tie them up. They seem to like that a lot. They're vertically now well over seven feet. But I want to know about pruning them. I've heard you say that pruning will enhance growth and going into these winter months, is that a good idea?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, don't prone them before we get a freeze and it kind of kills them back, like at ten to do or just wait toward the end of winter and you can do a couple of things. You can shape and prune as you want. I often will just cut those things back at the ground because you get all the fresh new growth up then and they still bloom and look good. Sometimes over time, with a little bit of cold damage here and there, the plants just don't look that full. You decide if you like the look of them or not. But on mine, I generally cut them back to the ground toward the end of winter.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Once I take these tied decks off of it, it's gonna it's gonna spread, and then I'm going to have to trim it back so the long.
Speaker 6: Term be cut.
Speaker 11: But I just didn't think, yeah, so the spring, I'll do that.
Speaker 6: Or just after the freeze.
Speaker 4: Yeah, after after a good hard freeze, or even toward the end of winter, you just don't if you prune. Now, what's gonna happen is we'll get probably a week or two we'll have a seven upper seventies lower eighties week or something, and you don't want them to start growing because they'll just be burned back again. So okay, good luck with that, Jim, Thank you for the call. I appreciate that. Antiqu Rosenporium that has been a destination for gardners and family since nineteen eighty three, which is about the first time I ever went out there. I was so impressed. When they first built that place. There was nothing like it, and there still isn't you know. You go out to Antiqurosenporium and the place is overflowing with roses, but they also have veggies and herbs, the native plants cool season color like violas and snapdragons and Dianthus perennials like salvia. Every every time you turn around, they are releasing you know, they do plant breeding. Now rose breeding. They're releasing a new rose. The newest release, I believe is Zenna. It's an anti rose, exclusively bred variety, got patents pending on it, and it's just gorgeous and you need to go see that. But what you really need to do is go to their website Antique Roseemporium dot com. The website is outstanding. You'll find like I want a climbing rose, they have a list of them. I want a really fragrant rose, they have a list of them. I want a shrub ROAs. Do you see what I'm saying? They have roses and so so much more. When you go out there, and this would be a great place to do your holiday shopping. Or again, like I'm saying, you're going somebody's for Thanksgiving, take them a rose bush for decades of memories of your gift. Tell them I sent you. You get ten percent off at check out, or if you want to order online, you can do that. If you order, I would go out there because there's a great place to go visit. But if you want to order online, use coupon code SKIP twenty twenty four. Here's their phone number nine seven nine eight three six fifty five forty eight nine seven nine eight three six five y five for eight. We're going to go now to Mission Valley and talk to a jobbi. Hey, Jobby, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 6: Thanks Skip.
Speaker 12: Been enjoying your program for quite a while. I'm interested in planting some peas and beans. Is about time to get some of those in the ground.
Speaker 4: It's a little late for beans, green beans, pental beans, butter beans, you know, all those kind of beans. It's at they're warm seasons, so you're going to wait for spring on those. The peas, cool season peas, Let's see, it's kind of iffy for us here. We plant those typically in September, late September, maybe early October, to try to get them in when we have a hard freeze. Even though the plants are pretty cold, hardy, A hard freeze will burn off the little tender pods and things, and so you kind of lose the thing. If you get some that are fast ones like do a sugar snap type of peete, not the variety sugar snap that's a slower one, but one that's going to be done in about fifty fives days, maybe sixty days. You could probably still get that done. You may have to cover them once or something. But you know, it can't predict the weather. I mean, you could go through winter and not have a freeze, or you could go through and have one. Have one at the beginning of December and the things are hardly coming up out of the ground, but the plants are pretty tough. It's just the once they're about to bloom, that's when you don't want to freeze on them or right out.
Speaker 6: Thanks Skip. What about spinach and some of.
Speaker 4: Those spinach is very cold hardy. Spinach is cold hardy, about as cold harty as our greens get. Spinach and kale and collars, those three are really good and tough. Let us is good. You can still plant carrots now in the garden. And you know, if you're willing to cover it, even things like Swiss charred and beats or will do just fine. You can still plant those things.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Seed's not that expensive, so I say, hey, give it a shot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, thanks, Skip, appreciate it all.
Speaker 4: Right, got thanks for the question. Appreciate you being a listener. You take care, You take care. D and D Feed up in Tomball is your hometown feed store and they're on the west side by the way. D and D is just out west of town on twenty nine to twenty and it's been there for a good while, I believe, gosh, when did they think? Nineteen eighty nine is when they first opened up, and they have expanded the store and you walk inside and you'll see pretty quick it's everything you need of course it's a feed store. They all kinds of quality livestock feeds and whatnot, really good pet food. Every time I go, my dogs want to know if I went to the little Pet Delicatessen. That's my name for it. But it's a shelf full of these bones and things that well, you just have to go see it. They are flavorful, very good. But when you're in there as a gardener, all the fertilizers that you would want are going to be there, things like nitro foss and like Microlife and like Nilson's turf Star and Medena line. Really a number of different Nelson plant food if you need sol mixes, you know, brown stuff, the four Green Stuff, heirloom soils, a landscaper's pride. They've got all of that there. They also carry a number of tools, a number of different kinds of plants, D and de feed and supply. Three miles west of two forty nine on twenty nine, twenty two eight one three five one seventy one forty four two eight one three five one seventy one forty four. Oh, by the way, when you're there, you can get the microlife products. You know, I talk about Microlife all the time. The green bag is the standard room we use all year. At this point we switch over to the Microlife brown patch, which is designed more for a fall application. Works really well. I would say also, micro Grow bioinoculant is something you just need to keep around and put it out periodically because it's not a nutrient fertilizer. It's a microbe containing products. Sixty three different strains of beneficial microbes that we know from research fight disease. They fight disease, They cause plants to grow in ways that help the plant fight disease as well. Micro Growth biinoculant from Microlife you can get it there at D and D feat. By the way, if you want more microlife information, Microlife Fertilizer dot com. Microlife Fertilizer dot com makes it really easy to learn a lot about it. Oh whither that good stuff? I use it myself. In fact, I just got a bag out the other day. I said, I need to take care of my own lawn. That's what's about to go down on there, some of that ground pack. All right, folks, music means I gotta quit talking. We're going to go to the news, but I will be back Scott. When we come back, you will be our very first up to begin the next hour. Thank the rest of you for listening. Give us a call two eight one excuse me seven one three two one two KT.
Speaker 1: Welcome to k t r H Garden Line with Skip Richard's shoes.
Speaker 3: Trim.
Speaker 2: Just watch him as so many.
Speaker 13: Good things to sup by not sorry.
Speaker 4: All right, folks, glad you're with us today. Thanks for listening in. By the way, we have plenty of things to talk about and if you've got some questions you would like to ask, well, give me a call seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. I wanted to tell you a little bit about a beginning nursery. You hear me talk about Buchanans Native Plants a lot, because it's just one of those places that it's special. You need to go there. You need to see the kinds of things that they have going on. And the reason I say that is there's always something new there and right now they are set up for the holidays. I mean is it's amazing the kinds of things that they have going on. You know, you always know when you go to Buchanans, you're gonna find native plants. They're the biggest arrangement with the biggest array of native plants that you're going to find anywhere in the region. That's what they specialize in, even down to the point of like I want to I want something that's not native just to Texas or you know the region. I want something native to Harrison County right here in this area. They have it down drilled down to that far. And when you go to Buchanans, you can say things like, Okay, I want a native plant that has berries, I want a native plant for the shade. I want a native plant that attracts hummingbirds for example. They can do all of those kinds of things now right now in their gift shops. Oh that bungalow is just it's unbelievable, beautiful Christmas greenery and everything that you'd want for decorating for the holidays, you know, things like of course point settas and holiday cacti and things. They're also still stocked up really really well on herbs. You're going to do some cooking for the holidays, how about some time or rosemary or regano. I mean they are set up on all kinds of things like that. Their houseplants. Now you would think a place called buchanan Naeded Plants, is that where you go to get a houseplot. Yes, it absolutely is. Their selection. I'll tell you this. Even if you're really into housepoints and you think you have one of everything, you go into Buchanon's houseplant greenhouse and you're going to see things that you don't have because that selection is outstanding. Just beautiful, beautiful, beautiful now for cool season color. Lots of plants there. The fall is the time for planting and falls. It's a good time to plant perennials. Even things that are going to die of the ground soon. Get them in now and they'll be so much further ahead by the time next summer's heat arrives that you'll be really glad you fall planted. That's the advantage of fall planting. So whatever you're going after bu can As Native Plants in the Heights, don't forget. They're going to have their holiday open house on Saturday, December seventh, from ten am to three pm. This is a free event. There's gonna be live music, kids, crafts, Santo be there. They'll have drinks and more. It just it's going to be festive. They always put on a good show there and again for gifts you're going to how about this I talk about I keep talking about going, you know, to Granny's for Thanksgiving or wherever you're going for Thanksgiving. Why not grab one of those Ammarillis blooms for forcing You know, the big old bulbs that you put in the pot and the ballooms come up, and you don't put them outside initially, you just enjoy them inside, then plant them outside for continued enjoyment. Why not give one of those as a gift from Buchanan's Native Plants on Eleventh Street and the Heights. Go to their website Buchanans Plants dot com. Sign up for the newsletter. It is awesome. Really is lots of good information. Let's go out to clear Lake now and we're going to talk to Scott. Hello, Scott, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 14: Thanks Skip. I'm calling about a challenge I have. I planted a bunch of Asian jasmine underneath my oak tree a few years ago. It's a large oak tree. It's between my sidewalking the curb, and it's being taken over by poison ivy. I was wondering if there's something spray on the poison ivy because I'm extremely allergic to poison ivy. I can't actually pull it, you.
Speaker 4: You can't without killing The jasmine and the advantage are a little slick and so spray didn't stick to them as well as it will the ivy. But here's what I would do. If you go to my website Gardening with Skip dot com Gardening with Skip dot Com, there is something called the skipsweed wiper, and it tells you how to make one of those, how you can make one yourself. They're really easy to make. You can get the little grabber tools and the sponges on. It is what it amounts to. But when you see it, it'll be like, oh, that's simple. I can do that. And I know I know that Southwest Fertilizer carries those grabber tools with the suction cups. You need a certain kind unless you want to go to extra length to try to make it this way. It's real easy if you do it the way I've designed it on there is also a herbicides for the weed wiper thing, and that will there'll be a product containing triclope here. But that's on the sheet and it tells you, you know, if you're going after poison ivy and your jasmine, it tells you use trick up here. If you look and you've got wild onions and garlic coming up in the yard, it tells you what to use for that, or grasses or broad leaves, and so it's all there on the website.
Speaker 14: You bet that's really because it's it's being taken over by poison ivy. So thank you so much, and I'll look on your webs.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, thank you. I appreciate the appreciate you hanging on for that. Take care. Yes three, that weed wiper, I say invented it. I mean it's not that much of an invention, but it is sure handy. I use mine all the time, all the time, very very helpful. If you have not put your fall fertilization out like I haven't because I've been busy doing other things, you can still do it. And Nelson Plant Food has their product called carbel Load. Carbo Load is a pre emergent herbicide and a fertilizer put together in one Now the forticon bags of carboload cover about five thousand square feet. It's designed with that ratio of nutrients. It's best for fall, so it helps your grass. Whenever we have warm weather during the cool season, which we do here, that grass is taking up the nutrients and it's making carbohydrates with the leaves and that makes it a more hearty. Law on when we have a good hard cold snap, and next spring your lawn will be better. But get it down. You gotta watered in. Apply it watered in right away. Nelson Turchstar carb load. It is not too late to do. Go ahead and get it done now as soon as you can, because cool season weeds are already germinating and you want to catch as many of them as you can with that and also have the benefit of that outstanding fertilizer blend. Time for me to take a little break here. I will be back in just a moment if you would like to give me a call seven to one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. Let's help you with the kinds of questions you might have for gardening. Be right back, all right, welcome back. Good to have you with us. We are here to answer your gardening questions, So feel free to give me a call if you have one seven one three two one two kt RH seven one three two to KTRH Warrens Southern Gardens and Kingwood Garden Center. They're out there in of course, Kingwood area. Warrens is on North Park Drive, Kingwood's on Stone Hollow. Both locations open seven days a week, and I'm telling you they are ready to go for the holiday's beautiful stuff. By the way, we are now entering the third week of Kingwood Garden Center's gift shop clearance event. That's this week November sixteenth through thirtieth. Forty percent off everything that's in there, and they have a wide variety of things in the gift shop. They're getting ready for the new inventory coming in, so that's why they've dropped it twenty five forty percent off what's left. So get by there and check it out. You might find a good gift or something you just really need yourself when you go by there. By the way, when you go out to Warren's Southern Guarden and Kingwood Garden Center, they've got a mult cell going on. Four bags for fifteen bucks. Good night, What a what a deal? A variety of different multch options to choose from, from heirloom soils, from heirloom soils, so you know, twelve months out of the year it's mulch time. It is. Molt isn't just for hot summer weather. Molt is for keeping the cool season weeds out of your flower beds. It's for moderating the soil temperature. When you've got maybe a tender perennial one that could get killed in a good cold winter spell. Throw mulch over it, over the surface of the soil, over the top of the crown of the plant, even and you will find that it insulates it and protects it and it gets you right through mulch. Multch moltz always a good time to mulch. And you're not gonna find a better deal than this right now. Warrens and Kingwood Gardens there and then while you're at warrants, check out the wall of seeds. I mean, they just have every kind of seed you can imagine, vegetables, flowers, herbs, beautiful beautiful options. So it is cool season gardening time. Stop buy out there at Warren Southern Garden on North Park or Kingwood Gardens Center on Stone Hollow Drive. I remember the first time ever went out there, they used to have a what was it, Laura Peddl a Chinese Chinese witch hazel. This is the biggest thing I've ever seen. I mean that thing was like two stories high and it was just gorgeous. Each spring. I can't remember what happened to that plant, but anyway, it was beautiful. But every time I go out there, I'm just surprised at all of the different things they have. The selection from pottery to plants, do you name. It just really beautiful. So a while ago I was telling you that or somebody that the weed wiper tool that's on my website at gardening with Skip dot com, you can buy the actual grabber tool that you used to make it at Southwest Fertilizer. Because at Southwest Fertilizer, anything you need for your garden, for your lawn, no matter what, for planting is there. If you want a beautiful garden, a bountiful land escape, you go in to Southwest Fertilizer and you're gonna find every fertilizer I talk about on guardline and then some if there is a product, even one brand new on the market. Bob and I talk from time to time about what's new, what's going on, and I always stop in there to see because if something new shows up, they companies don't send me a notification, but I go to Southwest and I'll see it there already on the shelf, because if they don't have it, you don't need it. As Southwest fertilizer. While you're in there, grab that, grab a tool and make you a weed wrapper. Toils so nice and it helps minimize the amount of pesticide you put out in the environment. Grab one of their kneeling benches. Wonderful little gift for holidays, the kneeling bench, the folding kneeling bench. I use mine just the other day, laying out a concrete patio, not concrete, a stone patio, and I'm on my knees and on my knees and on my knees, and up and down and up and down that kneeling bench. Oh my gosh, I would still be laying curled up in the prenatal position if I hadn't had that to kneel on. And then with the handles it has to get back up and down because you do that about eight hundred thousand times on a Saturday morning and things get interesting the next day or two. But Bob's got them there. Southwest Fertilizer dot COM's the website. Here's the phone number seven one three six six six seventeen forty four. If you want to go there, and I recommend you to you, I don't care where you live around town. Drive over there corner of Bissinet and Runwick in Southwest Houston. Corner of Businet and Runwick. My phone number, by the way, if you like to give me a call and ask a question. Seven one three two one two kt RH seven one three two one two kt r H. I was out at the wild Birds Store out there in Kingwood the other day on a Saturday for an appearance. We had a really good time out there, thanks by the way to everyone who came out. But while I was in there, I was just checking out their seed blends. And you know, there are so many quality seed blends. That's where I get my seed, my bird seed. And there are a number of reasons why. But the quality of the seed is important. And you think, well it's seed, just throw seed out there the bird. Well, you buy a cheap bird seed and you get red bebes could be over half. The quantity of the sack is red bebes in some cases, and birds kick those out they don't eat them, So that right there, your price just doubled for what you paid for that bird seed. Do you see what I'm saying. When you go to wallbirds, you get stuff that goes in the birds tummy, and I like, there are no mess blends. So let's say you take a really high quality sunflower that's a super high quality oil protein seed. Well, they're going to break the shell and get the kernel out and drop the shells on the ground. If you don't want that, get one from wahbirds. It's already been shelled. You know, in the long run, it's actually less expensive to buy the already shelled out seeds because of the quantity that you end up getting when you do that. I like, right now, in fact, the other day, grab some wildbirds unlimited winter super blend, super packed with fat and protein. You know, as the days are shorter, birds don't have as much time to be outfeeding.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 4: They've been kind of quiet at the feeders these last month or so because it's just part of the season. But as things cool off more, the birds will be back in mass and they're gonna need something to eat. And whether you get sue at cakes or whether you get seeds. If you got problems with squirrels eating all your bird seed, they have the one the seed with a hot pepper in them. You know, the birds, the squirrels, they they're like me that burns their mouths. They don't eat that, but the birds do. Wildbird's Unlimited. How about a bird house? How about a bird feeder? Oh, you talk about gifts, that's a great idea. Hey, go to Wildbirds' website for the Houston group. That's WBU dot com, WBU dot com forward Slash Houston. You'll see the six Wildbird stores here in the Greater Houston area and all of them are well well worth a visit. I love that. I was out putting that patio in and just kind of looking at the feeders and just you know, that's why I said, I noticed that birds haven't been to them a lot right now, and I ask I ask someone. I asked John actually about it, and he would just saying, yeah, that's kind of part of the season change there. But they'll they definitely come back because I know in the winter they like to come to the feeders, and they've been coming to them a lot this year. Cool stuff, a lot of fun and oh gosh, go out in the morning and listen to the songs of birds and to bring those to your house. That is just that is just really cool. Spring Creek Feed is north and kind of east of tom Wall. It's on in Magnolia area on FM twenty nine, seventy eight, seventy eight. It is a beautiful, beautiful feedstore. Spring Creek Feed Center part of the America's Country Store group. You walk in and you feel like probably walked into some kind of a I don't know, a nice little gift shop or something. It's just beautiful inside. And then you get to look and you go, no, it's the feed store. They got lots of feed. And you look over to the right and that's the garden center. And you're going to find the Nelson Turf star line, the nitrofoss line, the microlifeline. You're going to find stuff to kill weeds, to prevent weeds from happening, fungicides, pesticide. But the best part, I think is the friendly, courteous staff. You know, they they're there to make you feel at home and to help you find what you need, and they are really good at that. And when you get into Spring Creek Feed if you need something you don't see, they will do special orders, so just let them know. They even have a delivery service available too if you choose to go that route. If you're senior citizen or military, or even a four h kid ffa kid raising livestock animals, They've got discounts for you there on their livestock feeds as well. Spring Creek Feed Center FM twenty nine seventy eight just minutes away from ground Parkway and Highway two forty nine up there in the Magnolia area. You're listening to Guardline the phone number seven one three two one two KTRH seven one three two one two KTRH. I was talking with David Williamson there at RCW Nursery a while back. We were just talking about some of the different plants and things in the the uh place where they growed them up in the Plannersville are you know. RCW is retail garden center there where Beltway E comes into Highway two forty nine, which we call locally Tomball Parkway. Well, right there at the corner easy to get to belt is RCW Nurseries and they are going to have the kinds of plants you need right now. They got specials going on on shrubs, for example, really really nice options on shrubs.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: If you're looking for your cool season color. Of course they've got that. Herbs, perennials and you shrubs, navy plants, trees and top top quality stock. You know, because they grow their own trees. They they choose the species that are going to do best here and they grow them right. And if it's a small tree, take it home planet yourself. They'll give you the root stimulators. I say give you, they'll say the roote stimulators to go with it so your tree will be successful. They'll tell you how to plant it right. Or you can just hire them to come out and do it, especially when you get one of these bigger trees, unless you want to put your chiropractors kids through college. Hire them, let them come out and put that thing in the ground and get it planted right. The best time to plant a tree is forty years ago. The second best time is today. And RCW is the place you need to go get it. Rcwnursries dot Com where Tambo Parkway comes into bout Way eight. I mentioned that I was working on a patio in the backyard and I'm laying stones, kind of an Oklahoma stone flat stones down and we're putting on a bed of decomposed granite, and so getting them all spaced outride and level and making sure they're not wobbly as you walk across them. You know, that whole process getting it right. But boy, it's looking good. I got I probably got about two thirds of the way done with it now, and I just need to do the last bit. I had to take a break for a while. You know when you do when you over exert. Have you notice this is anybody listening to me somewhere north of forty years old. If you overexert the next morning, you know it and you go ooh, that was too much. And then the second morning, oh my gosh, I've stocked up on everything from Bengate, I'd be propen and I need to take it. I had to take a day or two off to get back out there and get going again on it. Some of you know what I'm talking about. Some of you are like, Ah, that's never gonna happen to me. Yeah, right, better than better than the alternative that kneeling bench. I keep telling you, Bob's got it Southwest First, I'm using mine a lot, a lot, and I really, I really love it. Well, we're coming up here on a little break for the news. I will be back if you'd like to give me a call seven to one three two one two kat r A. Some of you sent me pictures and things via email, so give me a call in. That'd be a good time actually to do that. And when we come back, we will talk to you about whatever questions that you might have. Take care, We'll be right back. Welcome back, Welcome back to guard Line. Guys. We're glad you are listening today. We have a lot of things I'd like to talk about, but I'd kind of like to visit with you about the things that you are interested in talking about. So let's head out to Spring, Texas. We're going to talk to Larry. Hey, Larry, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 15: Good morning, Skip. I didn't think you would get to me so soon.
Speaker 4: I did you hit at the right time?
Speaker 15: I guess well. I I visited my brother in law here the other day, and he's got some grass that's growing in his yard. It's a little bit invasive, but we're just wondering what we had there and whether we could propagate it or try to get rid of it.
Speaker 4: Well, that's actually a more related to the plants you've heard of called wandering jew kind of a houseplant, a vining plant, than it is to grass. But it's called dovewed dovewed, and it's a warm season weed. It's gonna kind of go away a little bit when we get some freezes in here, but it is very invasive and you know, if the area stays wet, dove weed even grows faster. So you know, trying to make sure you've got decent drainage or not over water and those are all important dove weed. At this point, it's got a lot of seeds on it, and no one wants to be told to handpull their weeds. But the more you pull out of there, the more the seed you get out of there. Now you spray and killed the weed, but that getting the seed out is important if you use any product that's a trimech type of product. Product that trimech being it's got at least three different herbicides for broad leaf weeds that that combination works pretty good on doveweed. Those work. There's another product called Celsius that's a little more expensive, but it also is even better on dov Celsius is like the temperature. Yeah, yes, and so so you know, if you've got areas and some people do where it's like the whole lawn is just basically turned into doveweed, And what I'm seeing in the photo, it's pretty close to that in that area. You could just kill that area out and then replant grass in there is your lawn Saint Augustine or.
Speaker 15: Bermuda grass, Bermuda for the most part.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, Well then those Trimach type products, Celsius type products, those those would be good to use in there. That bermuta will fall back in really fast, but it's not going to grow at all until it gets warm in the spring. Bermuda grass in cool season, it just shuts down and doesn't do anything.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it looks it looks pretty good.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 15: He mentioned he said, you know, if my whole yard was like that, he said, it probably wouldn't be bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I get it. I mean I don't know that you can make a dependably thick yard out of doveweed, and I don't think it has any wear tolerance for when you're walking on it and stuff. You know, it's not going to hold up like Bermuda Whiel. That's why Bermuda's used to make football fields because you can you can have a lot of wear and tear and it holds up to it. Dove weeds not that way.
Speaker 15: Yeah, he's dealing with a lot of shade in his yard in Okay, okay, this kind of spotty here and there.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, just a thought, I'll throw this out there. He may want to consider just getting rid of everything and putting in something that does well in shade, like Saint Augustine. Or there's also a couple of zoysia's. There's one called Xeon'szeo n. It's a very fine textured zoysia. If you know it regularly looks it's pretty as a golf course green almost. It's not not that short, but you know, it's a nice, dense, fine textured little grass. But Saint Augustine too, because Bermuda is if you've got shade, shade's only going to get worse because trees get thicker and bigger every year, and so the Bermuda is not going to get better. It's only going to get worse anyway. Just something for him to think about.
Speaker 15: Okay, all right, I'll throw it out there.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, Thank you, Larry. Appreciate that call. Appreciate those photos. Yes, dove We that's the boy. I've had more dove We calls these last couple of months. Then normal. It's certainly been busy with people asking questions about the doveweed. Well, let's see here phone number seven to one three two one two k t RH seven one three two one two KTRH. Sometimes it gets real busy here and I had a couple of times today. We're trying to direct traffic, keep up people from having to wait so long. Right now is a good time to call, if you know, I've got an open set of phone line, so at least for the first two or three folks that call you a jump right on.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: Heirloom Soils has always made top quality soil products. I mean the kinds of things that set the foundation for success with your plants. I always say brown stuff before green stuff, meaning get the soil right, and the plants the green stuff will drive well. Heirloom Soil is the place for that, and they've got some really good deals right now that you can get a one QB card sack of either their leaf mold compost perfect for top compost top dressing, or you could mix it into the soil as well, or they're Veggie and Herb mix leaf more compost or Veggie and Herb mix for one hundred and twenty nine. You get to keep the sack now if you want. They can deliver, but it's a three sack minimum and there's a fee for delivery. If you want to get a delivery, go to rock in maltch roc k the letter n maultch dot com slash delivery. That's Warren Rocketmultch up there in Porter, which is where the heirloom soils is delivered from. That's Inporter, Texas. Or you can go up to Porter to Warren's Rocket Meultch and you can just pick it up there yourself. If you got a truck or trailer and you want to do that, give them a call two eight one, three five four nineteen fifty. They're open till three today, close tomorrow and then Monday through Friday seven am to four pm, so you can go get it yourself, makes it real easier have then come delivered. That Supersack is really cool because they drop it off on the driveway. I just did a couple of super sacks of some stuff I was putting out and just so neat and clean. I like that better than piles on the driveway, that's for sure. You can get their lead more compost by Supersack and the veggie and or mix again, both those are one Toy nine. They have something called a lawn mix. It's kind of a new deal now. It's it doesn't have top soiling. It's got Mason sand compost in bed mix. So if you're trying to level out your yard and you're trying to you know, smooth things out and get it really ready for laying side. The premium lawn Mix really really good price seventy four dollars a sack on that. I don't know how they do it for that price, but anyway, that would be a good one to order. Of course, you can get cedar multch, hardwood, mulch, pine bark, all of that. You can get the black Star gravel, which is gorgeous, gorgeous just like the name would sound, Blackstar, just beautiful black shiny material. And then there's the rainbow gravel, which, as the name implies, different colors of gravel. Those are all so available from warm trucking malts and heirloom soils. You should check those out. Those are deals you're not gonna You're not gonna do better or not. Trees, trees, trees, trees. This year the storms hammered our trees, hammered our trees. When trees are not prune properly, they become susceptible to all kinds of issues like storm breakage, the narrow branch angles, and so on. Affordable Tree Service make sure your trees are prune properly. You you call call Martin Spoon more up. Here's the phone number two eight or excuse me, seven to one three six nine nine twenty six sixty three. Call them. You're either gonna either Martin Or's wife Joel answer the phone. The owner's answered the phone. There. If you don't hear Martin or Joe answer, hang up. Call the wrong place again. Let me give you that number seven one three six nine nine two six sixty three. You can go to their website Afftree Service dot com. The main thing you need to do is just do something now because he stays busy. Printing season is going to go all the way through February. You can prune twelve months out of the year. But the best time to prune. We're in the big middle here. We're going into the winter season, which is prime time for getting all that work done. Get on his schedule. Tell him you're a guardenline listener. Get on the schedule. Have him come out and get that work done. Make sure your trees are properly prune so they are as storm hearty as they can be, as resilient to the wind as they can be. Any other things you need done while he's out there, You want some consulting, you know, like, hey, I want to put a trench in. Where should I put it so I don't kill this tree? Because yes, trenches kill trees. They can We want to put a driveway in or something. Talk to Martin. He will help you with that. Martin spoon More Affordable Tree Service seven three six nine nine two six six three. Time for me to take a break. I will be right back with our last segment of the hour and your calls at seven one three two ten KTRH back Cardline folks. Good to have you with us today. You know Orges hidden gardens done in Alvin. I don't know any of you down south. You need to get by there at your hometown. Garden center down south of the Houston area or has got a lot of different things available right now. He always has a good selection of fruit. He always has a good selection of roses and trees and shrubs and things. Of course, is a garden center, you're gonna find herbs and veggies and things like that as well. Flowers, certainly flowers, and they carry the three sixty tree stabilizer. If you are going to plant a tree, you need one of the three sixty tree stabilizers. I'll talk more about it at the time, but that is available there as well. Know they're fall hours. They're closed on Monday, but they're open today and tomorrow from eight am to four pm, and then Tuesday through Friday nine am to three pm. If you are looking to get something like a citrus tree to put out in. They have a wide variety of roses too, Like I said, makes a beautiful, beautiful gift, and fall is the time to plant. So get one now, get it established and stop by there at horagez Hidden Gardens. They are in Alvin on Elizabeth Street. Elizabeth Street in Alvin, just a south Highway six. So all of you in Santa Fe Hillcrest, I'll go Arcadia, Alta Loma, Alvin. Let's say a town's down there, Hillcrest. This is your hometown garden center, rages hidden Gardens.
Speaker 8: We're going to go out.
Speaker 4: Now on the phones and let's see here. We'll head to Kevin in Houston. Hey, Kevin, welcome to garden line.
Speaker 8: Hey skip, Hey.
Speaker 16: I picked up some white oak tree acorns from the nine to eleven Memorial last year in October planted. I'm in a fourteen inch tapered style plastic pot there. They're about a foot tall. Something is starting to eat the leaves. If I go out there and thump it, uh, it looks like a little bitty could be white gray. Something flies off. It's really really small, and it's and the leaves are just getting tore up. Do you have any suggestions.
Speaker 4: When you when you say they're being eaten, is it like a little tiny holes being chewed out of them? Or are the sides being chewed in? Or what do you how do you describe the feet all.
Speaker 16: All of the above these outsides of the leaves, there's holes in the center.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, uh, at this point we are right up on the edge of fall, so I mean of the leaf drop, and so I wouldn't worry about doing anything to them. They're resilient, they can take it. They're fine at this point in the future. If you're trying to you know, as you're trying to get them up growing faster and you start to lose leaves, I would get a product containing spin nose set s p I n O s A D spy spin no SAD and that is an organic product that controls things that eat tree leaves. Now there are other products. There's a dozen other products you could use, just a good insecticide, but that you know that's a bias low tox for something like that. There's you could also use name products. Not the neem oil, but the as of directin types of meme would be fine. But either one of those they both soak into the tissue. So the spray them on the top of the leaf and spread also from the bottom of the leaf, and it soaks in and then if you know, a few days later something comes and choose on it it's it's it's gonna get it perfect. That's what I'll get, all right. Congratulations on the brand new baby ache oak trees. Good luck getting those things going. Thank you, sir. You take care you bet by bye. Yeah, you can grow trees yourself too. I've done that myself. Kind of fun. Actually, advice on how to do it too. You can give us a call here on Guardline. We'll be happy to do that. I want to go now to Woodville and talk to Brenda. Hey, Brenda, welcome to garden.
Speaker 17: Good morning, Thank you. I have our yard. It's mostly weeds, and I read an article that said if I put weed killer on the yard now, that would help the grass strengthened her in the winter and then it would grow back and the weeds wouldn't necessarily. Does that just sound ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not quite sure what they were talking about there, So thank your grass is being shaded by weeds. Getting rid of the weeds helps the grass capture sunlight. Is your lune, Saint Augustine.
Speaker 17: The grass that's there, I think is probably Bermuda.
Speaker 4: Okay, Bermuda is going to I'm sorry, Okay, yeah, I say Bermuda is going to kind of go dormant in the winter. So if you kill all the weeds, if you're able to do that, then you'd have bear spots, which would mean sunlight hits the soil, and then nature's going to have more weed seeds coming up in there. So I don't know that's going to gain you a lot. I think for right now, I'd probably just mow them if you see little seeds or flowers on them, putting a bagging attachment on to scoop up as much of that as you can to get those seeds out of there. And then in the spring, get my schedule. It's online at gardening with skip dot com. We'll start off in February with something that prevents weed seeds from germinating. That's going to be very important. You could still put down a pre emergent, but chances are a lot of the cool season weeds are already well on their way germinating, so the benefits are not as high as they would having applied it earlier, but there it's still worth putting down if you feel like you got some bear areas out there, but especially in the spring, get on my schedule, get the weed control going, get the fertilizer going, and let's try to grow you back into a better lawn. Bermuda is a tough grass and it'll fill in pretty fast if you mow it regularly and fertilize it a lot and water it adequately, and you can get back into it. Unless you're just wanting to kill everything and replant something there, that would be the only option if.
Speaker 18: It would grow in it.
Speaker 17: So and I'd regigate that, okay, and just follow your guard your tips.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know, Google's only you know, it's kind of like talking to your neighbor across the fence. Depending on how smart of a neighbor you got, you could be learning something or being misled. And I found that a lot of times they But hey, I'll tell you one other quick tip. This is the fastest, cheapiest, easiest way to get rid of all your weeds, and that is take off mow your lawn, then take off your glasses and it looks just like a lawn. It's all mode. That is, you cannot get any no herbicide works out fast or that will all right, Thank you, Brenda.
Speaker 6: That lady is the plan I follow.
Speaker 17: Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: All right. Ah, Hi, popay. You know, it's interesting. Everybody has different tolerance to weeds and things like that, and uh, you know, my goal here on Guarden Line is to try to help you have success. That's what I want. And everybody has different opinions, They have different aesthetics, they have different abilities.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 4: Some people getting on their hands and eas and pulling weeds is not an option. Other people are very happy to get out and do that. They don't mind. Some people do not want to use any synthetic products. Some people only want to use organic. Other people it's just like, know what works best? How do I get it done fastest and best, you know, most effectively. Whatever, Well, that's kind of why I'm here. I'm here to help you garden like you choose to garden. And uh, you know, I have my own opinions about how I do things in my own garden. But everybody's different. And some people, if that lawn does not look like a golf course green, if there's one weed, it might as well be a purple neon sign flashing on and off. You know, that thing has got to go. Other people is it's green, it's green? I don't care if you mow weeds. It makes a lawn that's green that's not going to be perfectly uniform or attractive. Weeds come and go, so what's green now may not be green in a season or so. But it's up to you. You go the way you want to go about it. We'll help you do that. If you want to go for the ultimate beautiful lawn, we can help you have that as well. So you get to choose. But I learned that from a fellow named Folder rushing over and this is sippy an idea of yeah, just take off your glasses. It all goes away. Well, you're listening to Garden Line. We are about to put this hour in the books. We've got another one coming up. Fact, we've got two more coming up. If you would like to give us a call and be on, you'd be first up right now. The words are blank seven one three two one two K t R H. Give me a call. We can talk about how you can have a more beautiful awn and more bountiful garden, uh and more fun in the process. That is the most important thing. We try to have fun here on guard Line because gardening is fun. It always makes me sad when someone says I just can't garden. I got a brown thumb, and you can just tell they are not having fun. Let's have fun. We'll help you do that. We'll turn that brown thumb green, because there's no such thing as a brown thumb. There's only an uninformed thumb. And that's what we're here for to inform years bombing.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kt r H garden Line with Scamp Richard.
Speaker 2: It's just watch him as many.
Speaker 3: A sign.
Speaker 4: Hey, welcome back, Welcome back to guarden Line. Glad you are listening to today. Thank you for being listening to Guardenline. I hope you enjoy the show. If you'd like to give us a call, I'll be happy to help. If you want suggestions for planting, if you want to help diagnose something, if you want to help identify something, you can call them my producer and get an email, an email where people can send me a photo of something that they would like identified or diagnosed, or something along those lines.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 4: That is the best way to get an accurate diagnosis. I don't know if you've ever noticed this, but when someone describes something to you and you picture it and then you later see it, it's like, well, that's not anything like what I was picturing, because sometimes our words don't communicate things as well as as they need to. So anyway, that's why I like to see photos. When we're trying to get down to the nitty gritty of diagnosing a particular problem, you can just talk to the producer. He will give you an email as to how to get a photo to me. Now, I was busy with someone the other day trying to explain that there I am time wise. I'm just not able to answer all the emails by typing answers in that come in, and that's what the show's for. But if you'd like to send me a picture, I'd be happy to take a look at it, and then when you give me a call, we can discuss it. And sometimes there's a one I'll need to respond to because it's better just to do a response right then. But in general, I can't get into the back and forth and just time just doesn't allow it. Unfortunately. Let's see, why don't we Why don't we head straight out to the phones. I'm going to go to Tunbull here, We're going to talk to them. Monty, Hello, Monty, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Skiff, how are you.
Speaker 4: I'm well, sir, I'm well, it's when it's fallen that it's not one hundred degrees outside.
Speaker 6: I'm happy, amen, Skiff.
Speaker 19: I've got a couple of issues. One is the sego palm we have in the front yard. It's pretty good size, but it's always been kind of a late bloomer. But it still has not opened up this year. Everybody else in the neighborhood theirs has and I'm wondering if I could do anything to help it out.
Speaker 4: So are you saying it's just like a brown, brown trunk right now? There's no grain.
Speaker 19: No, it's got the big bulb at the top, you know, like it wants to open up, but it just won't open up.
Speaker 6: Okay, and have more branches.
Speaker 4: When you when you describe a bulb, does it look more like the top of a bowling ball or do it look more like a cone coming along? Skinny more? Okay, Okay, that's a female sego palm. They are separate male and female plants, and that is the that is where the seeds will be. There'll be chestnut size red seeds inside that structure pollinated. Yeah, so, uh, I don't know beyond that sometime. It sits that way a long time, but as long as you got some green on it, on the plant and it's alive, you will see some new growth that does eventually come back. Now, with us going into winter time, I can't take exactly when that's going to be, but yeah, I think you're just going to be patient. There's nothing for you to do to fix whatever is there.
Speaker 19: Okay, And one more question if you don't mind.
Speaker 8: You know, a few years ago.
Speaker 19: When we had that real hard freeze uri, we had some oleanders in the backyard and we lost a few. A couple of them have survived pretty well, but the rest of them are just struggling big time, just like they're stunted. What can I be the help them out of anything.
Speaker 4: That's unusual? You know the freeze. Oleanders are somewhat cold tolerant, and it's not unusual to have one killed back when we had that kind of freeze. But it shouldn't have ongoing effects, like once things warmed up and you begin to see a little new growth, then they shouldn't just keep sitting there stunted. So I'm not sure what's going on on those Uh, If you know fertilizing, adequate water, especially some nutrients to fertilize. I wouldn't do it now because it's cool enough and we don't want them to try to grow. It just makes them less cold cold tolerant. But I would say just maybe give them a little bit more time. Uri has been a long time though, so I've given it more time. It's already had time.
Speaker 19: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe send me some pictures of them so I can kind of see what Maybe I'll see something in the picture that helps show other than that just may come down to replacing them. But again, there shouldn't be a connection between a freeze and for years the thing doesn't want to grow. That doesn't make sense.
Speaker 19: Yeah, okay, I've got some micro laughs. Would it help to put a little of that end around it.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Micro life's a good fertilizer, but right now, you don't want to make the holeanders grow when it's you get a succulent let's just say it made it start to grow. You get a succulent shoot. Succulent shoot, and we just have a normal winner and those are going to get killed, whereas the older tougher wood would would survive it. So let's wait until it warms up, we get past the danger of freeze, and then and then you put your microlife around those and see if we can get some stuff growing.
Speaker 6: All right, okay, well, appreciate your help, all right, money, you take care that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, by the way, the phone number seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t R eight. You know, sometimes when when something gets cold damaged, it can set it back a little bit. But after a couple of years, you know that we can quit blaming the cold, except in the case of trees where you get trunk damage. We had that severe, severe cold and I'm telling you our trees took a hit and that was that was significant. And I noticed that because of trunk tissue damage, some problems were continuing to show up even a couple of years down the line, where tissues were just kind of collapsing. They just weren't able to keep going. So just something to think about. Hey, if you want your lawn to look really good, if you want your landscapes to look good, pier scapes is the place you need to call. Pierscapes dot com. That's your website. Go to pierscapes dot com. Look at the kind of work they can do. They repair irrigation systems, they do landscape lighting, they do hard scapes. If you've got poorly drained areas, they can put in subsurface drainage. You want to design a landscape, they got designers in house that can do that. Do you want just to have them come care for your beds quarterly? You know, come out, trim weed, fertilize, check the irrigation, get the color changes. You know, it's time now for the cool season color change. Put some fresh mulch down. Pier scapes can do that too. Listen, they can do pretty much everything you possibly would need done. Pierscapes dot com. Piercescapes dot com two eight one three seven fifty sixty. That's two eight one three seven oh five zero six zero. I'm gonna take a little break. I'll be right back with your calls, all right, So welcome back to garden Line. Welcome back. Hey Ma's nursery done in Seabrook. I love going down to that place because number one first thing I do is go to the big greenhouse of house plants. I've never seen so many different kinds of cool house plants from succulents. I mean, if you're into succulents, cacti, whatever kind of succulents, they have got it loaded down there. And they have everything from you know, big beautiful giants, staghorn ferns, to tropical foliage to everything you can imagine. And you know, we're entering into I call it house plants season, because you know, the more time you spend indoors, the more time you have to take care of your houseplants. They're set up down there and they've got it there on Toddville Road in Seabrook mos Nursery dot com maas Nursery dot Com and it's eight acres. It's an eight acre gardener's paradise and you wander through and you know, one of my favorite things is if you are looking for all kinds of landscape blank of course, Moss has all the plants you're going to look for, I mean, anything seasonally you're looking for, they got it in Moss. One of the best pottery selections you're gonna see anywhere. I mean, Jim's always Galli mounting around somewhere bringing back all these different kinds of really cool pottery, but also some some really unique statuary. Uh, you know, the little bird baths, the things like maybe concrete figurines. And there's one thing it looks like it looks like like a woodland nymph. Uh, you know, laying on the ground, sleeping in the garden. So you put that in a groundcover and you're walking through and it's just like, oh, that's a surprise. And that's what you want your landscape to be like, you know, you want you don't want people just to look and go, Yeah, I've seen a hundred landscapes like this, Saint Augustine groundcover, shrubs, trees, that's it. It's all green, sea a green. No, you want to put some cool stuff in it. And Moss is the place to get all kinds of cool stuff. You just kind of go there to see it. I buy it down in that area. Seabrook area knows about it already, they've been there. Moss Nursery dot com, Toddville Road, Seabrook, Texas. Go check them out and it would be an awesome place to find gifts for everybody on your list. I want to head out now. Let's see, we're going to go to Larry in sugar Land. Hey, Larry, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 20: Hey, good morning, Skip. I got a question for you about my plumarius. I recently planted one. It's about ten foot tall, and I've planted it in the dirt beside my house. I have other ones in pots and in the winter time I just dragged into the garage and they do it real well. But the one in the ground, I don't know what to do about it this winter in particular. Yeah, of course I expected to loot its leaves, but there's anything else.
Speaker 8: Need to do it.
Speaker 5: You can maybe advise me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, you get a good hard freeze and you can you can kill that plumbaria. A lot of times people will just dig them up and shake all the soil off the roots, you know, don't try to pot them up, or you just shake all the soil off, hang them upside down in the garage, you know, just find her after or something off in the corner, or however you want to go about it, uh, and just just leave them in the garage where it won't get too cold, you know, and they'll they'll be there in that dormant state. And then in the when the weather warms up and we've got some nice weather then take them back out and replant them in the ground, and they take bright back off growing again.
Speaker 20: Well, that never never encouraged me. Like I said, it's pretty big, it's pretty tall, and I didn't think that they actually pull it back up again.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, I mean you can, you can either way. You can dig it. But I mean, if you're gonna leave it there, you're gonna need to provided some sort of warmth and protection with a cover over it. When the weather is going to get down in there and you know, run freezing below.
Speaker 20: I won't be able to do that.
Speaker 19: I don't think.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, I appreciate it. I understand. All right, thank you very much for the call, Larry. I appreciate that, and take care. Thank you, all Righty. I mentioned earlier that Jorge said gardens, he carried the three sixty tree stabilizer. And what that is. It's a little it's a bar. It's a plastic bar, very very strong bar that attaches to a post. I like to attach it to a tea post because you can drive those in the ground and it hasn't an adjust thing that you put on there that makes it attached to the tree post. Very strong attachment. The other end has a little rubber strap that's soft, and you want to leave it a little loose because you want the tree to move. People that tie these trees down with three guy wires number one, that's a lot of trouble and you're going to trip over them and all that the tree can't move. The tree does not get as strong. When plants bend and stretch and move a little bit, a little bit, it makes the tissue grow stronger. It makes the roots, the surface root up there that's reaching out to establish into the soil sideways, those roots get stronger and better anchored as well. You want movement. Three sixty tree stabilizer does that. It is a very durable product. It works very very well. You can use one on most plants. One is enough, but if you've got a bigger plant, the trunk diameters a little larger, the tree you're putting in, and you got maybe stronger winds, you could do two. Maybe one coming east west into the tree, one coming north south into the tree, and that way you hold it from whatever way the wind blows. You can find them at RCW Nurseries, buchanans Arborgate Plants for all seasons. I mentioned Jorge down south Southwest fertilizer Bisinett and Runwick has them, and Ciena Maltz down in the Sienna area also carries the three sixty tree stabilizer. Let's now go to Katie and we're going to talk to Lucy. Hey, Lucy, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 21: Hi.
Speaker 18: How are you.
Speaker 7: I'm so glad to I'm good to be able to steak with you. I have a problem with squirrelds. Are There'll be like three, four or five of them up in my tree and they are just destroying it. They are just eating a little bit and then all the it looks like snow, all these pieces of leaves all over my backyard, and I don't know what to do to control them, to get them to stop just destroying my tree. I wondered if you had any suggestions.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I know squirrels will often chew the small branches, especially where there's a v intersection between branches. They'll chew it in there, and they'll chew around the branch. And then when you like, let's say it's up acond tree, but you look at it and instead of being green, you have all these we call them brown flags all through the tree where they've they've killed the ends of the branches. I've not known them to chew the leaves off and drip a whole bunch of leaves on the ground like that. Now there are some insects that can do that. And then of course it's fall, and depending on the tree species, they're dropping leaves in different amounts right now too. But there's not a squirrel aside. You know, there's not something you put out and get rid of all the squirrels U now. Now country boys back in the day they didn't have a squirrel problem. That was called lunch. But I think in town people might frown on that. So you you kind of are left with just whatever they're going to do up there, they're going to do unless there's a way to completely exclude them from the tree, which ninety of the time is impractical to try to do.
Speaker 7: Right, Okay, well my tree will be bald soon.
Speaker 4: Well it's fall.
Speaker 7: There, you know, I wish I remembered. It's something drum. It's the bark will peel in the more in the spring, and it gives these really pretty soft little clusters of leaves, small leads and I'm wondering maybe that's what they're after. Maybe it's sweet to them or something, that they are just going from branch to branch, section to section and just tearing everything up.
Speaker 4: That is very unusual. If you want you, I can put you on hold. The producer can give you my email address and send me some pictures of the tree of what you're seeing on the ground, okay, and maybe I'll see something else. I don't know. That's that's unusual, but you're welcome to do that. I'm going to put you on hold, Lucy and either hang on, yeah, either way, all right, you'll take care.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much, Jonathan.
Speaker 4: I back up just in a little bit here. Bye bye. Interesting squirrels. You know, I know people have different opinions about things like squirrels and dogs and cats and whatever else is out there in the wild. But I just got to tell you. I had a friend San Antonio that used to say, we don't have too many deer, we have too few freezers. And people who feed deer and like watching them are horrified at that thought, whereas another a lot of people are going, yeah, it's it's in season, but you can't do that in town. That's for sure. That is for sure. But anyway, hey, listen, we moved in on nature, okay, we It wasn't like we were here, and then squirrels and trees and raccoons and everything else starts showing up. We moved in on them. And the more urbanization occurs, the more their habitats pushed out, and the more interactions we're going to have. And so, like I was saying earlier about tolerance to weeds, I guess you have to decide what your tolerance to pests that are four legged as well, because that is that is just part of the world we live in out there. Let's go to I mentioned, Oh while ago, I mentioned the three sixty tree stabilizer was at Cienamultch. For those of you who don't know Cienamltch, you need to go check it out. I cannot think of a better place to take care of your soil to prepare for plants than sienamlts brown stuff before green stuff, right, soil foundation, plants second. Okay, first comes the soil, then you plant. Cienamltch is the place to go for the brown stuff. It has They have soil amendments, composts, bed mixes, you know, mixes from Landscaper's Pride or from heirloom soils for example. They've got the fertilizers from Nitroposs and Medina Nelson plant Food, Azemite, Microlife. They just had it all. You can buy landscapers Pride bat velvet there. You can buy heirloom soils, veggie and herb mix for example. There they deliver within twenty miles. Are located on FM five point twenty one near Highway six and two eighty eight. Just go to the website and you can find all that you need to know there Sienna Mulch dot com. The one thing you don't need to do, though, is not get your foundation built. This fall fall is the time for planting. Do not put a plant in the ground until you've built the foundation. And I can't think of a better place than Siena Mulch to do that. I'm going to take a little break here for the half hour news that we're entering into. I'll be right back if you'd like to give us a call seven one three two one two K t R H and David, you will be our first step when we come back. All right, folks, we're back here on Guardline. Thanks for being a listener today. I'm your host, Skip Richter. What kind of questions do you have? How can we help you to have a more bountiful garden, a more beautiful landscape. That is what we are here to do. And speaking of here to do, that is what enchanted for us. Is also there to do, you know. And Chanted Forest is the garden center down in the Richmond Rosenberg area if you are there on FM twenty seven to fifty nine, So if you're in Richmond heading towards sugar Land up fifty nine, they're off to the right on twenty seven fifty nine and they have everything year round that you would need for that season. For example, right now they got in their sets of onions. And if you never grow on onions before you need to, it is not hard to do. All onions need is some well prepared soil, mix in some composts, get them planted properly, water and fertilize them regularly just to keep them growing. And next spring when the day length starts getting longer, they make bulbs. And whether you get a ten to fifteen super sweet onion, the Texas early white, the red creole, or the Southern Bell red. I grew those two last red ones last year. They both are great red Creole Southern bell red. Those are good too. You're going to have good results from it. And you grow them in a container container and Channa Forest has it now. And Channa Forest has an excellent selection of trees and shrubs and color plants and herbs and everything you can imagine. If you want your flower beds to really pop with color, swing by there today at ten am today, November sixteenth, ten am Indoor Herbs with Angela Roth at in Chanted Forest. She's going to walk you through the steps of setting up an indoor herb garden. Wouldn't that be a nice thing? In fact, wouldn't it be nice to put one together and give it as a gift too. That's today ten am at Enchanted Forest. There's always something going on out there. Coming up. On December first, they're gonna have Santa out there, Sata himself and he'll be available for family photos from ten am to two pm Sunday, December first. I'll be crashed for kids, hot chocolate candy canes. I may have to show up with that. There's gonna be Christmas cake pops from Pop Perfection. I have never had a Christmas cake pop. I think I have to do that anyway, chant it for us on December First, let's go to the phones. Now. We are going to head to Laporte and talk to David. Hey, David, welcome to garden Mine.
Speaker 15: Good morning, sir.
Speaker 4: I have morning something rows in my yard.
Speaker 15: It's stringy. I have patches of it and I can't get rid of it. I don't know what.
Speaker 6: It's called right now.
Speaker 18: It has like some sprouts that are going straight up and it looks like they have seeds on the top of them.
Speaker 4: Well, there are a number of weeds that fit that description. Tell you what, David, we got an hour and a half left today. If you will go out and take a picture of your phone and email it to me, let me take a look at it, because I need to know for sure what it is before I send you out with the wrong product or wasting your time and money. Let's do that. I'm going to put you on hold and Jonathan will pick up the phone and give you an email. And if you'll send me those photos, let me take a look at them, and that way I can get you the right product to deal with them right now, mature all right, Oh, don't go away, hang on date and Jonathan will pick it right up here for you. We're going to go now to Jersey Village and talk to George. Hey, George Carline, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 18: I got a wall space in the front of the house. It's about ten feet high and fifteen foot wide, and it's got to some ogi hedges in front of it now. And I want to put boga via there because I took it to your advice on another one and it's a beautiful plant and it's doing well. But anyhow should I plant just one there? Should I wait for it to grow out? Or should I plant two or three of them instead?
Speaker 4: Well, Bougin Bay is a low coal tender, and so where you live, you're gonna have to give them some kind of protection or at least most of the base really really well so that it dies back and comes back out of the base. That's the drawback of the booga and ville there. Uh, do you have really really good sunlight because they don't like to be in any shade.
Speaker 6: Oh, yes, I do, yes, Okay.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a possibility that it could work if it's good sunlight. Just the cold heartiness is a thing that you know, when you put shrubs across the front of your house, you wanted to always have good shrub across the around of the house.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 4: They're gonna be bear and the winter and you don't have to be replacing them. So that's the only caveat I would say, I'm considered.
Speaker 15: Would you recommend something different?
Speaker 4: Well, uh, tell me what your goal is for that spot.
Speaker 6: You know, what, what do you want to see?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there's a lot of different shrubs that that can cover cover a wall, you know, so it just kind of depends on the shrubs. You like to look at. How wide can this shrub be from the wall outward? How far?
Speaker 15: Uhdd three feet something like that.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, so pretty pretty tight space there. Yeah, so you could you could go with something that like one of the more dwarf Holly's Chinese Hollywood would do well in an area like that. It's very very very thorny leaves, very poky leaves on that particular one. You could do nandinas across there. That would be an option. Uh three feet is on the small end for Chinese witch hazel, but that's a beautiful plant that has burgundy foliage and shaggy hot pink blooms in the spring. That would be one if you just got to shere it to keep it in the size you want. I might try Chinese witch halesl if it were if it were mine, I think that that one looks looks pretty good. Gosh, you just literally Georgia's probably fifty plants that we could suggest first spot right now?
Speaker 18: Well that is that just one point or two or three plants?
Speaker 4: How how long is the area? How long is the area that you need to cover?
Speaker 18: It's wide, it's about fifteen foot wide and ten feet tall.
Speaker 4: Fifteen Yeah, I would I would leave. Oh it can get ten feet tall. Oh that Chinese witch hazel. Get one that's going to get a little taller than If you go up to where are your jersey? Just down the street from you.
Speaker 1: There is.
Speaker 6: RCW and Michelle Street Plants.
Speaker 4: Yeah. RCW they they have got a shrub deal going on right now. So I would go talk to them, and they're gonna they're going to be able to put some good shrubs in your hand, and you'll get a better price on them right now too, that's for sure. Yeah, that's because they're going to have some others. All right, sir, thanks for the call.
Speaker 15: Thank you, thanks very much.
Speaker 4: Ah, you bet appreciate you calling very much.
Speaker 22: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, when you're when you're taking care of your lawn, it's still time to put if you want to put your Microlife brown patch out. That's the brown bag. That's the one that is loaded with microbes that help with making that plant service surface less hospitable for diseases. It might want to come in. Plus, it's got the nutrients in it as well. You know, Microlife has a number of different quality products. Their humates are always a good thing to add to the soil. And it's because humus is a final decomposition stage of organic matter. Its it's like past compost, right, it's when compost has gone all the way that is humus and uh, the humates plus is an excellent product for your lawns. It's good to use in the soil and again another quality product for Microlife. You can go to Microlife Fertilizer dot com find out all about their products, their liquids, their solid granulars rather uh and you can also find out where to get them and the answer by the way to where to get them is pretty much everywhere. Microlife is about as ubiquitous of a fertilizer as you're going to find all throughout the listening area for Garden Line. Here, time for me to take a little break. We will be right back and when we come back, we're going to talk to Bill and Galveston. Welcome back to Guardenline, folks. We are glad you are listening in today. You get a gardening question, give me a call seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. If you are wanting to take a lawn that has been struggling through the summer through heat or drought, or soil compaction, or chinch bugs or take all root rider, you name it, call BnB Turf Bros. And have them come out and do a core aeration with a compost top dressing. Cor aeration pulls plugs of soil, little round plugs of soil out of the ground, drops them on the surface, and then you follow that with compost top dressing that falls down in to the soil. Now, BnB turf Pros only uses the top quality ingredients that I recommend. You're on guard Line. For example, cenam Maltch I was telling you how great Cienamulch is top quality leaf mold composts from Ciena malt Is who BnB turf pros use. They know how to do the job right. They serve the area south and west from Houston, so we're talking about sugar Land and Missouri City on the on the west side down Highway six. You know Fresno, Siena, Arcola, Manville, Iowa Colony, and all the way over to Pearland. That's their service area. They got a fall special going on right now. Don't delay how much longer they're going to do this, but free lawn aeration when you schedule a compost top dressing purchase application. So it's good for here, it is good for October to December. Okay, October to December. Now you give them a call, and this family owned business, will I promise you give you honest quality work for them. It's all about customer satisfaction.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 4: They look at you as a personal connection, not just somebody that you know, go do this. Here's some money, go away, go they for them, this is more personal than that. It is making sure you are happy and that is why I enthusiastically suggest that you give them a call if you're down in that south end to the west area from Houston, BB Turfpros dot com BB no end in the in the in the email or the web address BB turf Pros dot Com. Seven to one three two three four five five ninety eight seven one three two three four fifty five ninety eight. Let's see here we're gonna go. Who's waiting a lite? Bill and Galveston. Hey Bill, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 23: I sent you some photos. Is that this week? But my lawn where's brown? Where I had a sago palm? But three years ago I took it out and I have not been able to get that. Come back to lawn heavy suggestions as to what the problem is and how to fix it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I saw those photos. Boy, that is that is so extensive. I think you are looking at take all root rot. There, Bill, the fact that the lawn starts it's green, and then it starts to yellow and it loses its vigor, and then it eventually goes to straw brown and even the runners are dead. That is very typical of take all root Rot. If you go online to Gardening with Skip dot com my website Gardening with Skip dot Com. There's a schedule on there for lawn care, and there's a schedule on pest disease and weed management. That pest disease and weed schedule tells you what to apply for take all and when to apply it, and and the quick answers. You want to apply it now, and then you're gonna probably come back again in the spring and make a second application following that schedule there. But where you've got large what we had about applying, what are we talking about applying? You're going to You're gonna apply. There's more than one product on this schedule. Uh, if you can find something that has a zoxystrobin in it, that would be the most effective against take all root rots specifically. Okay, but uh that the reason I refer you to the schedule is because you know all the products and timing and everything is listed on there. I don't have to spell out all the things. But uh, you can find that product to just get out there and get it down as a p Now there in your lawn, there's sections that are pretty large that have been lost, and so you're probably going to need to resowd those areas in the in the springtime as it starts to warm up a little bit.
Speaker 8: Okay, So I WI wait the spring to do that though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you could reside now, but you know, I I don't know it is it cools off the long the long reress doesn't grow as much and so the sod doesn't take quite as fast it or as well. Uh So if it may, I think i'd focus on getting things cleaned up. You know, there's a lot of bermuda grass coming up through there, and you may want to kill out some of those areas in the spring when it warms up. Uh, And then then do your residing to get back in business.
Speaker 8: They're okay, So when you reside, do I think something about the soil as well? At the same time.
Speaker 4: Say that, ask me one more time. I didn't quite catch you.
Speaker 8: What I what I resawed? Do I need to do something about the soil at the same time?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: You could airlom Cells has a lawn mix that they can deliver and you can use to top off that area, kind of scratch it into the soil a little bit, and then plan over it. If your soil is in pretty decent shape. You may not need to do that, but if there are some lumps and holes and things, it would be worth taking care of that before you put the side back down.
Speaker 8: I was thinking about putting in some Compostuh.
Speaker 4: Just compost itself decomposes away so much that any benefit then tends to go away in time. There's nothing wrong with doing it, just don't put too much on it, and don't try to use it to fill a hole, because what was a hole that you fill with compost becomes a hole again when the compost decomposes away.
Speaker 8: Okay, all right, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: All right, you bet, thank you for the call. Appreciate that you take care. Where are we doing here, Oh my gosh, we're about to run out of this hour here. I wanted to tell you again about RCW and the fact that they have an outstanding selection of shrubs and trees. I was just visiting with someone a minute ago, George up in Jersey, about RCWN, the fact that they're trees and their shrubs are top quality, and they right now they got a great shrub cell going on. Specifically, we were talking about that. But when you're there, you're going to be able to pick up your herbs and perennials and annuals. You know, your annual color, everything you're looking for. They're at RCW Nursery that is at the corner right where Tamil Parkway two forty nine comes at about way eight, and the website is RCW Nurseries dot com. Just go by there, visit with David, find out about the different plant options that you in fact, David or any any of the folks there. There's a outstanding knowledge base at that company. And I found when I go by there and visit with them about the plants and about things, it's always it's always very refreshing to see just how on top of everything they are because they've been growing it for a long time. They've been there for a long time. They know what they're doing, and the quality of plants you get, and even more importantly, I think the quality of advice and direction you get is just outstanding there at RCW Nurseries. I'm gonna have to take a little break here in just a second, but I wanted to mention something else about ACE Hardware. I talk about ACE all the time because you know, ACE is a place where you're going to get everything you need to have success in your garden, in your lawns, with your plants. ACE is a place to turn the inside of your house and outside of your house into what you want it to be. You know, here come the holidays. Do you need lighting? Oh my gosh, ACE is the police for sure for that. When it comes to gifts, look, if you've not been in an ACE Hardware, don't just picture a bunch of plumbing and wires and hardware stuff. Imagine a gift shop, because that's also what it is, and they have outstanding gifts. And of course everything you need for your lawn and your landscape to have success is an ACE Hardware. Go to Acehardware dot com. Acehardware dot Com find the store locator to find the forty plus stores in the Greater Houston area near you. Easy to find ACE Hardware near you here in the Greater Houston area. Well, we're coming up on the sound of the music, and so I'm not going to take another call so I can give you adequate time when I do. Jennifer in the Woodlands, Charles and Beth in Conro, you will be our first three up when we come back from break here. Our phone number is seven to one three two one two kt r H seven to one three two one two kt RH and give us a call. Get you on the board, so we're ready to go and come back. I got another hour to go today. Garden Line is on for those of you who are new to garden Line from six am to ten am on Saturdays and Sundays. Every Saturday and Sunday, I'm here in front of a microphone talking to you about how to have a beautiful on and a bountiful, bountiful garden.
Speaker 8: As well.
Speaker 4: I want to remind you that you can listen to pass shows by podcast. You can listen to the show live on the on your computer at the kt A website. You can listen to pass shows there as well, or you can download the iHeart Media app. I'd encourage you to do that, and you can even listen to garden Line live on the iHeartMedia app while you're out there working in the garden.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Skim Richard.
Speaker 3: It's just watch him as the world us so many things to see.
Speaker 4: All right, folks, Welcome back to the guard Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter. We are here to help you have success. Help you have success. Now, I keep I've been telling you for months now. Fall is for planting. Fall is there's not a better season than the year for planting. If it's a shrub, well, it's going to have all winter and spring and the rest of fall to get roots established in the ground. So when next summer arrives, that tree is ready to go. I mean it has a head start compared to a spring planted counterpart. If it's a perennial, same kind of thing. It perneal grass is perennial flowers like Savia's and others. It's the best time to plant. And then there's all our cool season flowers and vegetables that we can be planting now, and herbs for example. And if you're going to plant, get you some has to grow six twelve six from medina. Has to grow six twelve six from Medina. It's got, of course, the six percent nitrogen, twelve percent phosphorus, six percent potassium phosphorus, very important in rude development. You take this six twelve six, you mix it in water, you drench it into the soil. It's got Medina soil activator in it to stimulate biological activity. It's got humate, humic acid. Humic acid. Final stage of compost decomposition is humus. Humic acids are in that humus and they help improve sol structure. They also help with nutrient uptake. It just makes the soil better. That's how nature is designed to work. That's how it works. You are taking those same products and you're improving it. When you water your new plants in with Medina hast Grow six twelve six plant food. You can also use it for folio's not going to burn your plants. But my goodness, we are in the big middle of planting season and you always should have some Medina hastro Grow six twelve six on the shelf for doing just as I described. In fact, I'll put it and then later maybe a week later, watered in again with it, and then a week later do it again, maybe three times. We're just helping get that established, but especially that first initial deep drenching of the soil. All right, we're going to go to Katie, Texas and talk to Dennis. Hello, Dennis, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 24: Good morning to you. I appreciate the time I had a question regarding the lawn carrs and specifically Saint Augustine, and we try to control the clover. You know that makes the cockle burrs in the springtime. And would these pre emergons such as barricade dimension or pendomthylin be useful for that?
Speaker 4: Yes, any of that would would work. You need to get out there, look real close at the lawn see if you've seen little clover sprouted yet. But even if you've started to see it, go ahead and get those down. But I mean, Dennis, I'd do it today. I mean I'd get it as soon. In other words, as as soon as possible. Put it down, and then you need to put a half inch of water on it to move it down into the soil surface because then it forms that barricade over the soil surface so that when the weed tries to sprout, it kills it at that stage before it can establish. That's how that works, okay.
Speaker 24: And it is safe to put directly on the Saint Augustine.
Speaker 4: Correct, Yes, I'm made for that. Just follow the label and don't don't fall fall for the teaspoons good a tablespoons better because you don't want to overuse the pre emergence in your lawn. The right amount is good. Excessive amounts you create problems, So don't do that. Just follow the label it's made. The label is the amount that it takes to do the job very well.
Speaker 24: Okay, in the Katie area, is there a location that you would recommend there or I could buy these products?
Speaker 4: Yes, you can get those at your hardware stores. Katie. Katie Hardware is one example. I was just out there the other day. Whenever you go to any of your Ace hardware stores, you're gonna find all these kinds of products that you know I'm talking about, They're gonna they're gonna be widely, widely available. But just a good example, you know, would be the Katie the Katie Hardware Excuse me, I can't even talk. Uh they I was in there the other day and they were very well stocked with you know what you might be looking for. They're just north of I ten. I don't know exactly where you are. You know, if you're on the if you're on the inside of ninety nine, then the Ace Hardware Sinkle Ranch on Mason has it as well.
Speaker 24: Okay, yeah, I'm in Old Katie.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, hardware, But okay, go ahead, just.
Speaker 4: Don't delay don't delay. That's the main thing is every day that goes by, more weeds are getting bigger, and you know you need to shut them down.
Speaker 6: Okay, oh yeah, I'm gonna do it this week here, all right.
Speaker 4: Sir, Good luck with that. Thanks for the call, appreciate that. All right, we're gonna go now, talk to Charles. Hey, Charles, Welcome to God morning.
Speaker 25: I heard the lady call in a while ago about her problem with squirrels, and a friend of mine had the same sort of problem, and he bought some owl imitation owls. There are a couple of different kinds. One is a kind of a plastic one that it's about ten inches tall. And on the other one that was really effective was an owl that had a body and had wings on it that hung in the tree. The squirrels just disappeared out of all of his trees. Say, owl scared him the death.
Speaker 4: Well, that's interesting. I've never heard that one before. I would say if that, if that's going to work, I definitely would move those around a little bit. I know, any kind of a scare tactic that we use for anything. If it just sits there all the time, the birds get used to it. I took a picture. One time. In Austin, Texas, someone had put us an owl on top of their sign of their business to keep the birds from roosting on it and pooping. And I drove by one day and that thing had been there for months, and there was a bird perched on top of the owl, roosting on top of the plastic owl. So I would say, don't them get used to it.
Speaker 25: I have to admit, the one that was most effective was the one that actually had wings, and it hung from a limb of the tree, and the wings actually moved back and forth, so.
Speaker 8: It had some movement.
Speaker 4: Oh okay.
Speaker 25: And he never moved it. And we go over to his place a couple times a week. Never saw another squirrel rounds.
Speaker 4: All right, Hey, thanks, thanks for that. I got to run, but I appreciate that. Appreciate you weighing in on that one. Take care of Charles. Arburgate up in Tomball is a showplace of garden centers. I mean it is the kind of place people go from all over to see. I love it every time I go in there. I mean it's just beautiful and if you need a plant, you're not going to find a better selection if you're needing advice, you're not going to find better advice, whether it's diagnosing, identifying, or even suggestions. And I always say brown stuff before green stuff. At Arborgate, they have three different bags for the brown stuff. One is called Organic Food Complete. It's a four to four to three plus calcium organic fertilizer does. Number two Organic Soil Complete, which is a soil with expanded shale, which is important for our clay soils, having that expanded shale in it. And then Organic Compost Complete. Third bag that is compost with expanded shale. Now compost helps glay soils, but expanded shale does as well and last even longer. And so that one two three system will get you off to a good start. Now, when you're at Arburgate, the holidays have hit, and go into those their gift shops and check them out. Check out the plants too, member falls for planting. They've got twelve months out of the year. Arburgate carries fruit trees and for example, and you're going to find everything you need there. It's on twenty nine to twenty For those of you who just moved to the air at twenty nine twenty, just a mile and a half west of two forty nine in Tomball. It's on the left hand side. Do you want to find Trishel Road which is a loop that goes around behind Arburgate turn in before or after Arburgate down Trish'll go around back and there's a really good old weather parking lot back there that is especially handy. Check out the website. In the meantime, sign up for their newsletter at Arborgate dot com. Time for me to take a break. When I come back, let's see Adolph, Jen and Steve. You'll be our first three. Hey, welcome back to the guard line. Good to have you with us. Looking at the boards here, I believe Jen's been holding the longest, so we're going to head out to Jen. Now, Hey, Jen, how can we help with your questions?
Speaker 5: Cool?
Speaker 15: Is it made that your high skip?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yes, I see that you've been holding the longest. How can I help?
Speaker 15: Yes?
Speaker 4: I have.
Speaker 15: My name is Joe Wayne.
Speaker 26: Actually I have sent.
Speaker 15: You some pictures about my long.
Speaker 17: I have dead patches, had this last year and I replaced with sad and then.
Speaker 15: Again this year. Now I have good patches.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, I did get your pictures. You know it's hard to be positive on our diagnosis with just a taken from a distance, but the symptoms look exactly like you would expect from take all root rot. In Saint Augustine. The yellowing that progresses to completely dead, the runners are brown dead, they're not alive. That looks like take all root rot. And if you go online to my website gardening with skip dot com, I have a couple of schedules. One is for lawn fertilizing and watering and mowing and that the other one is for controlling diseases and weeds and insects and things like that in the lawn, and that's the one you want. It gives you a list of products that you can choose from for control of it, and then it tells you you know exactly when to do it, and now is the time. Don't delay another day. We've been treating for take all the last since the beginning of October, and so go ahead and get that done now and be ready to repeat it again in March.
Speaker 26: It's a website, Okay.
Speaker 27: When I went to the ACE, they gave me copper fungus side.
Speaker 4: Not for this, that's for other things. Not for that. That's for something else. So, uh, just go ahead and and and go back and tell them you need a product. And I'm gonna I'm gonna spell out the name of it. Okay, the the not that brand, but the ingredient. It's a z o x y S t r O b I n A i O x y s t r o azoxystrobin. Find a product with that. Go to ACE. They've got it. ACE carries that stuff. Okay, and just tell me you need that, and then follow that schedule. Download both of those schedules. There's and there's other good information on the website and it's all free.
Speaker 26: Okay, Okay, thank you.
Speaker 4: All right, you take here, you take care all right. Now we're going to go to Adolf and Manville.
Speaker 6: Hey Adolf, Yes, a good morning. Look at.
Speaker 27: Um hm, I've got a red barren beach and I'm just a little bit.
Speaker 15: Jeez.
Speaker 27: Why why why is it full of green leaves still?
Speaker 6: I mean, uh, sometimes I would have thought.
Speaker 4: Now, sometimes they hold their leaves a little bit longer. That's that's not a problem, don't It'll drop them when we get a good cold snap in here, those leaves are going to come off.
Speaker 8: But that's not yea, I have.
Speaker 4: That's not a concern.
Speaker 27: Okay, yeah, I was concerned a little bit because I have another peachtree that it's uh that dropped all its leaves. So anyway, the other question is if I'm just before on a simon, uh, if I need the fruit on the tree, they will, right, eventually.
Speaker 4: It sounds like, yes, eventually they will. No, they know they eventually will, And I would leave them as long as you can because per simmons don't ripen after they come off the tree very well, So you want to you want to leave them on the tree. Now at some point, you know, if raccoons are getting them or if they're starting to actually turn loose and fall off, yeah, I go ahead and pick them. But uh yeah that leave them as long as you can.
Speaker 27: Yeah, all right, I've never seen a fruit like that. It takes this long. I mean it's orange for three weeks and it's still hard. No, there's been a couple of them that are already uh right and they're good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, well, good good. I love those fruit. Well, good luck with that, and thank you for the call, Adolf, appreciate appreciate that very much. I wanted to tell you guys that those of you who are familiar with Landscapers Pride, you know they make quality products. You know those over two dozen different products that they have available. A couple of them I'd like to focus on right now because we are making sure we get the soil right when we want a plant, and it's always a good time to improve the soil. Healthy soil composts one hundred percent locally sourced green materials. Healthy soil compost from Landscaper's Pride, a local company here. They the healthy soil compost material itself. Of course it's loaded microbial activity because it is compost itself, but it is widely available throughout the Greater Houston area. Then they also have the mushroom compost, which is an even richer mushroom created from clean local mushroom substrate. Okay, so when you produce mushrooms like you buy in the store, the little white mushrooms, button mushrooms, that material that they grow the mushrooms in then is they get rid of it and it makes some of the best compost you're ever going to have, and that is mushroom compost from Landscapers Pride. I'd encourage you to go to their website Landscaperspride dot com, find the store locators of all the places you can buy their stuff it's widely available, and also follow them on social media to keep up the date with things that are going on with their many, many products in that particular company. Let's see here, We're going to go now to Steve and West Houston. Hey Steve, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 26: Thank you, skip, good morning. I looked at your loan schedule and I'm running behind the two. I had a question about it. Looks like I'm too late for the night trophos a winter Riser, the eight twelve, sixteen or can I still put it out?
Speaker 4: You can still put it out. Just just hurry up and get it done. Here's the thing, is the weather coolst more and more, the grass slows more and more, and so the uptake slows down more and more, and so there's not a black and white line, you know, on that little chart on my website. I've got to draw the line somewhere right, But actually it's a very fuzzy line in there. And so the sooner the batter, go ahead and use it and get it down, you'll be fine.
Speaker 26: The other fertilizer I didn't find any times to put it out unless it could be anytime that I have a bag of ags, Mike, what is it now or when when should.
Speaker 4: I put it out? At anytime you want to put it down. It's not Yeah, it's not loaded with nitrogen to make the grass grow or anything. It's it's trace and or minerals. And so you could do it now. You could do it the same day you do your other fertilizing. You just can't apply the other. Yeah, it's a set of nutrients than the than the the nitrophos fault special the nutrients and nitropos false ban or the macronutrients primarily that your grass needs. This is the micronutrients that's your grass needs.
Speaker 26: Yes, sir, I'll get after it. And last question, I have something my yard. I've got some very spots. It's you know, ninety Saint Augustine. I've got some bermuda here and there, but it's few and far between.
Speaker 6: It doesn't bother me.
Speaker 26: But where I have no Saint Augustine, I've got a weed. And I saw it. They were talking about something on Central Texas Gardener and they called it crete weed, and it somehow came to the Bermuda family. Their bright green leaves about the size of your thumbnail, and tiny little, bright yellow flowers. Have you ever heard of.
Speaker 4: Well, no, something got lost in translation. I used to be on Central Texas Gardener TV show when I was over in the Austin area, and I have no idea what. Yeah, the crete does not sound like any wead. But here's what I need you to do. I'm We're gonna. I'm gonna put you on hold and my producer Jonathan will pick up the call and he will give you an email address, send me some pictures up close in good sharp focus, and then one kind of step back, take the whole area. Let me look at him, and once I see what it is, I can tell you what to do about it.
Speaker 26: Okay, thank you so much. I appreciate you.
Speaker 4: All right, don't go away. Jonathan'll pick right up. All right, Well, boy, there you go. H Nelson. Plant food makes a number of our lives. You know, they got the Turf Star line. We talk about that all the time. They got the Nutri Star line, which is for various kinds of plants. There's a Nutri Star tree and shrub for life. So there's a neutral Star, you know, for whatever you're growing pretty much, and then the Color Star, and that's the one I want to focus on right now. Color Star is a nineteen thirteen sex fertilizer for all flowering plants. It's one of the most universal blends that they make. It can be used on annuals and perennials. It can be used on flowering trees and shrubs if you want. You're going to put it on about every three months during whatever the growing season is for that plant. So like right now you're putting out pansies, you're putting out hanthas in cool season, mix it into the soil. Plant your plants. Two or three months later, do it again because in the cool season, microbial activity slowed down in the soil, and we give a little extra boost to keep these things growing.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 4: It has five sources and nitrogen, it's got organic bone meal, it's got organic blood meal in it. It just builds the soil. This stuff is so popular landscapers use it not just in Texas, but they shep a lot of it to states outside of Texas because once people figure out how well it works, they come back for more. Nelson's Color Star thirteen or nineteen thirteen six for all flowering plants. Well, let's see we are looking at uh, running out of time on this spot. I'm gonna come back and Chuck you'll be my first up, and then Glenn when we get right back from this break. Thank you all for listening to Garden Line. We appreciate you've been with us today. We got a lot more to talk about in our last half hour of the show. Today.
Speaker 1: Are Houston's News, Why there were traffic plus breaking news twenty four to seven. This is News Radio seven forty kt.
Speaker 3: RH five Everywhere with.
Speaker 1: Ir more of what's happening now from the John Morris Services Studios.
Speaker 28: Trout making history with Press Secretary Pick.
Speaker 4: I'm Jared Lewis.
Speaker 28: It's nine thirty on News Radio seven forty KHRH with trafficking Whether to get her back to Gary.
Speaker 29: Matt roadwork on the sixteenth south of eastbound this weekend. That's closed Culin to MLKA. Also another total closure forty five go free Wayne north bound Calhoun to Cullen and Yes, indeed I Tandy Freeway eastbound. It's sixty nine east Hanks tu Lockwood schedule till Monday morning at five speaking up five right lanes coned off sixty nine Southwest Freeway at Hillcroft. Yes, roadwork to lais for all I just mentioned about ten minutes. I'm Gary back at the Generator Supercenter dot com Travick Center.
Speaker 28: Partly to multi cloudy on this Saturday with an afternoon high seventy eight degrees and a few showers may pop up after midnight with the low down to seventy I'm meberialogist Jeff Maher from the Weather Channel Cloudy in sixty seven at the k H Generator Supercenter twenty four hour Weather Center. It's nine thirty one. President Alec Donald Trump is picking his twenty seven year old campaign spokesperson, Caroline Lovitt to service press Secretary, making her the youngest person in that role in US history. House Speaker Mike Johnson says he will request that an ethics report on Trump's ag pick, Matt Gates not be released. It's expected that FBI Director at Christopher Ray and deputy director Paul Abbott will be ousted while Trump takes office in January. The Lake and Riley murder trial is underway in Georgia, with the first witnesses testifying on Friday. A Spring branch id employee is found shot to death inside his home on Friday, and his second suspect is arrested in connection to a string of sexual assaults happening in the West Gulf Bank area. News on demand at kh dot com. Our next update will be at ten. I'm Jarret Lewis on Houston's news, weather and traffic station News Radio seven forty KRH.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the guard Line. Glad you are with us today. We've got some more to go here in Guardenline. Plenty of things to talk about. In fact, I'm gonna jump right out there and head to the phones. We're going to go to Spring and talk to Chuck. Hey, Chuck, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 30: Hi, good, talk to you again.
Speaker 6: Skip. How are you, sir, I'm good, I'm good, all right.
Speaker 30: I wanted to talk to you about pictures that I just sent in and it's with regards to mushrooms growing on the lawn. And I'm not concerned about the growth of the mushroom. My question is based on what you see in the pictures. Are they poison us to our pets?
Speaker 4: I cannot tell you that there are a number of mushrooms that look like that. The ones that are sitting on the stump in the picture, those are a shelf fungi. They grow on logs in the forest, on the ground and any dead wood. The others are coming out off of most likely a tree route under the ground, under the surface. But I just I'm not an expert at it, and I wouldn't want to guess, and you wouldn't want me to go.
Speaker 30: Okay, now they are growing, although you can't see it in the picture. There's another stump. I took two trees down through four years ago, and those are the matter coming up the Obviously the roots have started to decay and so therefore we're getting the mushroom right.
Speaker 6: So, but I was just curious if you.
Speaker 30: Might have been to recognize them as you know, an issue for you know, for our pets.
Speaker 4: I would pop them, pop them up and get rid of them, just to be safe.
Speaker 6: They're gone, yes, sir. They come up so fast that they are gone. Uh.
Speaker 30: And the second question does go back to what you've been talking about a lot today on the take all, I have a forest fire out in my backyard now with this stuff, and so I realize I can't undo dead. But what I My question is if I go in with that zos drillbon I presume it's a spray. Am I spraying the lawn that's unaffected, or am I spraying it on the area that's been attacked.
Speaker 4: There's really not a need to treat everything in the lawn, but you can. Uh so take all is an opportunist disease that that is especially bad and the grass gets weak and it's easy for the take all to move in.
Speaker 30: That's the way I can't areas where you know, this grass is lush and greatt been on the schedule for years, so i'd here too. Obviously you can miss it by a week or three. But on the most part, and to put the eagle down as I do usually about twice a year, you know, based on the scheduling.
Speaker 6: And so yes, it's far and it's.
Speaker 30: Not being overwatered or underwatered by my calculations. But anyway, once it's just spread like wildfire, you.
Speaker 4: Know, chuck, maybe it may not be take all root right, I mean, I don't. There's no way for me to know. The only way for a year, no, for sure, would be to take a four by four, four by six inch section of grass that is sick, not dead, it's showing and send it up to the State plank Clinic and have them identify it positively.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: The eagle has some activity against take all root rot. It does primarily we recommend it for the brown patch issues that are out there, but it does have some activity on take all. But the azoxystrobin is just you know, it's probably the one best there. There are some other options and on my schedule propaconnasoles also on there. That works on.
Speaker 3: Right that.
Speaker 30: So well, I'll go ahead, well you know, I mean, and you know, preventative maintenance will say. And in the meantime, you've got to figure out, you know, how I can get this thing looked at so accurately you diagnosed.
Speaker 4: I see take all where the grass is stressed from several things. One sole compaction can do that. Number two shade can do that. Drought number three can do that. And the other thing is when we misuse herbicides that are a little hard on Saint Augustine, in which some of our broadly week killers are. In the temperatures warm, we can weaken the Saint Augustine and then the take all moves in because the grass has been weakened by misapplication of the products. So there's a lot of ways you can get there to have the problem, but a good diagnosis, you know. I mean, I'm taking your word for it. That's what looks like. But I think if you're looking at the value of the lawn and the cost of replacing things, it may be worth you going ahead and sending a sample up to the steak plant clinic making sure you're on the right path, because it sounds like you're doing everything right of the you know, Otherwise.
Speaker 6: I don't know if it's we're doing the best can all right?
Speaker 3: All right, man?
Speaker 4: Well so much, all right, thank you, appreciate, appreciate that very much.
Speaker 26: Uh.
Speaker 4: Enchanted Gardens is out in the Richmond Rosenberg area. It's on the Katie Fullshire side of Richmond. So if you're down in Richmond Rosenberg, you go up toward Katie Fulscher. It's kind of where FM seven twenty three and three fifty nine come together. Now, the easiest thing to do is just write down the website, because you'll want the website for a lot of other reasons. Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com, Enchended Gardens Richmond dot com you can be part of getting newsletter information from them. From the website. It's got maps how to get everywhere. It tells you what's going on there, what's happening you know, and there always is something happening up in Enchanted Gardens up in the Richmond Rosenberg area right now. They are set up for the holidays, lots of cool season color for your landscapes. The gift shops are just loaded with curl, cool stuff, cruel stuff. You need to get your onions, well, they've got you set up for that. You want some beautiful topiary types of junipers and whatnot, they've got that there. Santa Claus will be there on December seventh from ten to two pm, and it's a good time to get out there and check them out. While you're there, though, please pick up some cool season color. They still have moms around out there. They've got Dianthus that is just absolutely gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous, as well as other cool season plants. Enchanted Gardens Richmond on FM three point fifty nine the Katie fulsher Side of Richmond. They're open Monday through Saturday eight to five, So today this afternoon be a good time to get out there Sunday tomorrow. They're open from ten am to four pm. And you know when you go there, you're going to find the fertilizers I talk about on Guardline. You're going to find expert advice that will guide you in the right direction to have a beautiful garden and a bountiful landscape. Two, I'm going to have to stop and go to a break here. When we come back, Glenn and Baytown, you will be the first caller up. Hey, welcome back to Guardline. Good to have you with us. We are here to answer your gardening questions. We're going to go out to the phones here and talk to Glenn in Baytown. Hey, Glenn, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 21: Good morning. Sure, I don't know whether this is a garden question or not. I have a U tree going by the corner of my house. It's about thirty five feet tall. It's a beautiful tree. It's very slender, but it's leaning about twenty degrees. After this last little windstorm we had here a few weeks ago, the tree is leaning about I'd say twenty degrees. Is there a way the roots are being pulled up on the one side. Is there a way to straighten the tree up or should I cut it down?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 4: Boy, I hate to cut one down. That's you said, you right, it's a U.
Speaker 21: Yeah, and it's a beautiful tree. It's real tall and slender.
Speaker 4: Probably got a good sized trunk at the base right several inches.
Speaker 21: Well, it's probably about eight inches across the diameter of the base.
Speaker 4: Problem. Yeah, you could pull it up into place and then stake it. I might even pull it just a little pass straight up, you know what I mean, because it's going to sat backwards the way it has fallen. But it takes a long time for new routes to develop and to develop strength to hold that thing up. So usually when when a plant gets more than about a tree gets more than about three inches and trunk diameter and it's leaning, it's such a process and a time consuming one to try to get it dependably and strongly established in an upright position. Again that we.
Speaker 21: Dig out one side so I could pull it back.
Speaker 4: If you had rain that washed yeah, if you had some water wash underneath there, If you could get underneath it a little bit and gets soil out, that's helpful. And here's why, because when when soul washes in now when you try to straighten it, that's like a little folkrum point like on a seesaw, where it can actually cause breaking of roots. But I can't see it there. I would just you know, try to pull it up into place, but you're gonna have to hold that, hold it in place for a long time.
Speaker 5: And I would.
Speaker 4: You know if you had something. Yeah, I understand, and I don't blame you for not wanting to. You know, you can print them off and they'll re sprout and go back up again. It's going to look real weird for a while. You could cut it back shorter so that at least you're not fighting a thirty foot tall sail in the wind right, and then that would give it time to establish as it tries to regrow, and use will take off back straight up again. They're not going to start growing sideways because you cut them off.
Speaker 26: So ignn option.
Speaker 21: Okay, as tall as it is, how far should I go down before I cut the top out of it?
Speaker 4: You know that's going to tell you. I mean, yeah, okay, if you cut it, if you cut half of it, yeah, that's kind of a medium way. And I realize here, we don't have a good solution to your problem. So we're given the best, not good solutions, right, Yeah, and you know, staking is not a great solution, but it can be done. Cutting it off is not a great solution, but it does help in the sense of it. Now you're not fighting against so much of a sail in the wind.
Speaker 8: While it.
Speaker 21: Is true because it's your eats thin at the top and when the wind blows, it leans and I may just have to cut the dog on thing down. Okay, Skip, I appreciate your help.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, if you cut it back, I would you know what I'd do, I'd call Martin Spoon Moore from Affordable Tree because he could come out and take a look at it and make a suggestion. He may, when he's on site, be able to take a look and go, you know what I think you should you know fill in the blank. He may, he'll have he'll have some kind of of an opinion.
Speaker 21: About that, his Affordable Trees.
Speaker 4: Yes, Affordable Tree Service, Martin Spoon, Martin Spoon More. And here's the phone number seven to one three six nine six nine nine six six three two six six. Now I you're way down in Baytown, so yeah, I haven't talked to Martin. Yeah, I haven't talked to Martin about you know, how far I do you go? He may go that far and then some I don't know, but just be aware. I'm just saying that that you're perfectly I would talk to him though, because he he is very knowledgeable and at the very least he'll be able to give you some thoughts and guidance, and he may even be able to come out and take a look at that one.
Speaker 21: All right, Okay, I appreciate make sure, thank you have a great date.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you, Yeah, you too, Thanks for the call. I appreciate that. Bye bye. When it comes to quality soil, Nature's Way Resources pretty much wrote the book. When you start looking at things like you hear me talk about oh leaf bowl compost, it's so great. It was born at Nature's way, Rose soil, it was born at Nature's Way. I mean they for a long time now, they've been leading the industry and producing high quality organic soil materials and mulches to help you have the foundation for success in your gardens and landscapes. They still have Fungal Friday sales every Friday, twenty percent off their fungal compost fungle based compost. That's also good for top dressing too, by the way, works really well for that. But Nature's Way Resources is on the way to Conro, going up forty five right where fourteen eighty eight comes in from the west. Then you just turn right, cross over the railroad tracks and that's Sherbrookes Circle you get. You hit Sherbrookes Circle, right across the tracks, turn right and that's Nature's Way. You can order it to be delivered. You can go pick it up in your truck or trailer. You can go pick it up in bags. You can purchase bags. It's some of our garden Center's feed store type places around the Greater Houston area. Any way you want to go about it. Here's the phone number nine three six two seven three twelve hundred nine three six two seven three twelve hundred Nature's Way Resources. Again. When you go there, you know you're getting quality products that you know are going to work, that you know are going to help you have success because you've taken my advice and you've taken care of the brown stuff before you bring in and plant all the green stuff. That's how things work. Here's the website Nature's Way Resources dot com, Nature's Way Resources dot com. We're going to head now to Chris in Mont Bellevue. Hello Chris, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 22: Hey Chip, I got the east side represented this morning. Sounds like over at Mont Belleview. So this is for Saint Augustine dress. I have okay, yellow patches, and I looked online a little bit and saying fungus and all that, you know, twenty four x spots, but these are feet, you know, such as five ten feet and kind of spreading. So just kind of wondering if that's a fungo deal or what.
Speaker 4: So when when you look at the grass, describe it again to me in terms of shape and color and how it progresses.
Speaker 22: Well, but I had to say Saint Augustine. And originally they were small yellow patches, not brown, but yellow, kind of frosting almost on the tips. But it's kind of embedded in the whole grass now and it's spread out into five ten foot patches now, but now kind of in the center it seems to be getting brown. So in the you know, in the kind of center to speak.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not going to be able to give you a positive ID based on me trying to picture what you're seeing it. I think there's a good chance that you're looking at brown patch also called now large patch. It typically you see it as big brown circles in the yard, but it can be kind of irregular, and I've depending on the kind of grass and the conditions, the soule moisture of the nutrient, you know, high nitrogen, low nitrogen, whatever it can it's not always just a round circle. But I think that's what you're looking at. The Eagle turf fungicide by nitrofoss will stop will stop it from progressing. But just know that if you applied Eagle today you would see a little more of it happening just because it was already in process when you put the Eagle down, right, But it protects grass from getting the disease. That it's a it's a preventative, not a not something you that makes the brown circles turn green real quick. It'll green back up though when the weather warms up in spring.
Speaker 22: Okay, so is this contagious so to speak? I got basically one last morning to do. So should I apply that first or mow or it doesn't matter?
Speaker 4: Well, the spores spread, But I mean you could have a lawn that had none of it, and all of a sudden you got it showing up all the You know, it's kind of ubiquitous in terms of being able to get around. I would I wouldn't worry about it. I'd mo as you need to mow. I guess if you could mow that part last, probably be a little better to do that. But you know that's not that's not something we usually worry about. I would suggest that you just go ahead and make sure that when you when you do mo go, you go ahead and get that final moing done at a good height. And then if you want to put down the eagle to prevent spread of it, and just realize that the leaves have been rided off the runner. That's why I turned yellow and that's why it then turns to brown. And so it's just going to take some time. We'll have to have some warm weather for the wand to start looking good again. Okay, it' alrighty, Hey, I hear music. That means I got to quit talking. Thanks for the call, appreciate it.