Speaker 1: Just I have seven six here pety five k CD talk station. What a wonderful, wonderful thing to bold on a Friday in my studio. Peter Bronson. Everybody knows Peter from his enquire days and all the wonderful books that he's written. I can only recommend you go to Amazon dot com is a place to find it is type in Peter Bronson, all the books that he's written will come up. Everyone is simply outstanding, all mostly all on local things like for example, I think Forbidden Fruit maybe one of my favorites. It's hardly hard to say not in our town, which is about the king of Smut, Hustler magazine, Larry Flint, and all the problems and legal challenges and things that we face back then. But they Forbid Fruit, the sin City Underworld, and the supper Club Inferno, which of course the mob had a direct connection with burning down the Beverly Hills supper club and all the criminal activity that went along with that. Names from the past like sleep Out Louis, Peter Bronson. I have so enjoyed your books and I really can't thank you, know, if not just for you know, providing the great entertainment but for documenting our local history in just such a fabulous way.
Speaker 2: Good to see you and welcome man.
Speaker 3: Great to see you. I always enjoyed doing your show. I love it and you do a great job, so thank you for inviting me back.
Speaker 1: That's kind of you that this is one of the benefits of my job I could speak with people like you. Last time we talked, it was on the man who Saved Cincinnati, Cincinnati History in Queen City of the West, and we all learned about the amazing the slaves that saved Cincinnati. They actually fought brigadestastic, just one little great lover of the book, so that thing went viral, like who knew about this exactly?
Speaker 3: It's such a great story and we should all be so proud of that history. Yeah, and yet it's all been forgotten. That's one of the things I love doing about this research is that I come across all these stories that Cincinnati are so important as a part of our history, and it's our story. It belongs to all of us, and yet we've forgotten it. It's a source of inspiration, it's a source of pride. It really makes me proud to live in Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: To find these.
Speaker 1: Stories there you go, exactly right. We are as important as any other big city in the United States. We have our own history, and we've dedicated so much to the development of our country from right here in Cincinnati. So you're great about documenting all this. So I again to my listeners, strongly encourage you this. Now we pivot over to the brand new book, Promised Land, How the Midwest Was Won. Now, you and I were talking off Mike and I kind of I was asking you directly, how you get your inspiration, like the millions of topics you could come up with, How is it that there's one or one area east side? Okay, I'm gonna sit down and write an entire book on this area. This turns out to be what we can call, at least you agree with my description of it a prequel to The Man Who Saved Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is, because I take it from the earliest, the earliest settlers who came to Cincinnati and settled on the north side, north bank of the Ohio River, which was extremely hazardous. Kentucky was settled first, and that had been somewhat tamed. It was still very dangerous, but the north bank of the Ohio River was absolutely no man's land, and the Revolutionary War veterans were given free land here because the treasury was broke and they couldn't pay these guys. So the idea was, Okay, go out to Ohio and help us open the Northwest Territory. And they did, and they're just amazing stories about these people. But the way I came to this was I have to go all the way back to when I first moved here in nineteen ninety two. And you may remember a city manager named Jerry new Farmer. Oh sure, yeah, So Jerry, when we went to lunch the first time I met him, he gave me a book called The Frontiersman by Alan Eckert, and that was all about Simon Kenton and his adventures in Kentucky and Ohio against Little Turtle and Blue Jacket, the Miami, and the Shawnee.
Speaker 4: And I just found that fascinating.
Speaker 3: So after I finished The Man Who Saved Cincinnati, I went back and started digging and it just clicked. It really felt good. So I took that period all the way up to the Civil War. So lou Wallace makes another appearance.
Speaker 2: The Man Cincinnati, Yes, along.
Speaker 3: With another great character named Charles Whittlesey, who was an officer in lou Wallace's command at Shiloh and then helped him build the defenses that saved Cincinnati and also is probably the earliest and foremost researcher and archaeologist of the mound culture around Cincinnati. His work is in the Smithsonian. And this guy, he was from Cleveland, but he was stationed here in Cincinnati, and he was.
Speaker 4: And there were mounds everywhere in those days. A lot of them have been.
Speaker 2: Just activated excavated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we had mounds in Anderson Township. We had in Anderson especially interesting because they had a mound where two guys went in. They built such elaborate tunnels in the nineteen twenties they had they were lighted with electric lights, and they went in there and they claimed that they found skeletons of people who were seven feet tall. Yeah, amazing stories. Okay, So we had mounds in Terrace Park in Milford and Indian Hill of course, all over the place. Even downtown Cincinnati had a really spectacular mound where an artifact was found that's known as the Cincinnati Tablet. And these mound cultures go back three thousand years and the culture of those people goes back as far as thirteen thousand years.
Speaker 4: Just think about it.
Speaker 2: Now, were multiple tries.
Speaker 1: I can't remember my Native American history, but I remember going out to see the mounds when I was in elementary school. They had a bus trip out there. Totally cool. But were they Was it one particular tribe or was this multiple tribes that that built the mounds various different Native American tribes.
Speaker 3: Well, we know that there were probably villages nearby because it would take thousands of people over long periods of time to build these mounds. They're just immense and they're perfectly engineered. How do they do perfect circles that are half mile across without transits or any of the modern equipment that we use today. It's fascinating. It's a mystery. You're going to have to read the book to find out more. But I'll tell you what these people had. Things like they had shells from the Pacific Ocean. They find in these mounds. They found shark's teeth from the Gulf of Mexico.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: So there was an elaborate, huge trading training culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the Ohio River and all of this part of Ohio right here, especially Cincinnati is really significant.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got to own a back pedal to you. You started out by talking about how the northern bank of the Ohio River was not developed. Yes, said it was hazardous and dangerous. The Kentucky side was what period of time are we talking about when you're talking about early settlers coming in and settling there as opposed to Native American tribes already existing here.
Speaker 3: Right seventeen eighties, right in the early seventeen eighties to the early seventeen nineties is really where all this significant history takes place, No kidding.
Speaker 4: The first families were.
Speaker 3: People like Ludlow stits Gano. All these in their papers are all still preserved at the Museum Center in their archives, and so I went through a lot of that stuff, and it was so much fun to find these stories. For example, I found the story of an eleven year old boy named Oliver Spencer who was taken by the Indians and held captive for two years. He was tortured, he was beaten, he was The Indians were absolutely merciless. In one four year period, they took fifteen hundred settlers and they would be tortured for days at a time. They might be scalped and killed, or they would be sold to the British. The British would pay one hundred dollars for a live hostage or fifty dollars for a scalp. So what they were the British were still really cranked about the Revolutionary War and enjoy losing. And what they decided is that to keep us from expanding west into to the land that they coveted for Canada, they would use the Indian tribes, the Miami and the Shawnee as their proxies, and they just encouraged them and what they called in those days depredations to terrorize these settlers.
Speaker 1: Now, did the prior to the British encouragement and egging on to engage in this murderous behavior, did they have a preconceived will to do that anyway because of how the white men had treated them. Did they already know in the back of their mind they didn't like these guys they're invaders?
Speaker 2: Was that the perception anyway?
Speaker 3: So the Shawnee, first of all, you're absolutely right, the Shawnee and the Miami this side of the Ohio River was theirs.
Speaker 2: Okay, And that's why it was so dangerous and unsettled.
Speaker 3: Exactly, And Kentucky was considered kind of a Switzerland or neutral hunting ground for all of the tribes around this area. But the northern part of Ohio was theirs. But also the torture, the brutality, the scalping, all of this was going on for hundreds, maybe thousands of years before the white man got here.
Speaker 4: So this is what the tribes.
Speaker 1: Waring among the tribes. Yeah, people always overlook that. They think it was Native American gets white people. But now we didn't. We didn't invest James right out, Oh, this is what was it? Since Cain slew abled there's always been problems of all people getting along together.
Speaker 3: And our civilization has certainly had its share of brutality too.
Speaker 1: More with Peter Broadson, he's in studio Promised Land, How the Midwest was Won. You can get a copy of that right on my blog page fifty five krs dot com. But I really encourage all of my listeners to check out all of Peter's works. You're just gonna love there. Such they're just page turns. You can't put them down. Seven sixteen fifty five krsit he talks, We'll be right back Prestision Tiers. You get your kitchen remodeled and done right to your satisfaction with a guy you're gonna love working with. You get in touch with Prestision Tiers and you will be working with John Ryan. It's his company. He's the man with all the experience, more than thirty years worth. They're doing almost exclusively kitchens. He did our kitchen. We got to go back quite a few years now for that. Still love walking into it. I remember the old kitchen every time I walk into it, even after what fen fifteen years? How long has it been, Paul Atte, Still love walking in there. It's just remember the way it used to be versus the way we've got it now. And love the kitchen. It's the heart of your home. We spend so much time there and you got to make it special. You need John Ryan to do that. Maybe you just want to replace the countertops and cabinets. That's fine. He can do that for you too, your true partner. He's been doing so many kitchens over the years. He's got He'll have great ideas for your kitchen, big or small, anything in between. Brilliant he is, and such a sweet man to work with. Got an A plus with a better business bear and he certainly scores that from us. To see some of his work, not all of it, but there's some before and after pictures on his website. You can learn more about what he does. It's Prestige one two three dot com. Prestige one two three dot com. Get in touch with him. It's five one three two four seven zero two two nine. Tom Brian said, I five one three two four seven zero two two nine fifty five krc.
Speaker 4: Hey, folks, garry solvent here, chippings.
Speaker 2: Here, it is your ten and nine.
Speaker 1: First one one of forecasts got overcast guys, a day with isolated afternoon showers, high forty three, overnight lot of thirty eight with clouds.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow it's going to be mostly too.
Speaker 1: Partly cloudy as a day rolls on less clouds forty eight and partly cloudy overnight with low of thirty four. Fifty four for the high on Sunday with mostly sunny skies thirty four. Right now, Chuck, what's going on out there?
Speaker 5: From the UC Health Tramphing Center, you one of the thirty eight million Americans impacted by diabetes got personalized education and treatment options from the experts at you see Help learn more at you see help dot com. There's an accident in southbound seventy five Babo Hoppel. They're all wind up on the left shoulder, so I'm not seeing a huge delay into downtown. Northbound seventy five continues to build through the cut. Northbound four seventy one slows just event across the bridge.
Speaker 4: Chuck Ingram on fifty five krs the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven seventy twenty one to fifty about KRCD talk station a true honor it is for me, Brian Thomas, host to the thirty five krc Morning Show, to be talking to face to face in the studio. Peter Bronson, author of the most recent book Promised Land, How the Midwest, was one which we're calling up equal to his prior book, which is absolutely awesome, like they all are. The Man State of Cincinnati, were you were explaining this early history in the Cincinnati area, describing the Miami and the Shawnee very very very violent Native American Indian tribes killed a lot of white settlers, the north side of the Ohio River, Cincinnati very dangerous place to be. Kentucky, however, was a state at this time. Yes, and this is what you and I were talking about off air. And I'll be honest, I have forgotten so much about my history and the United States of America. It's embarrassing on some level. But you know, these kind of books sort of bring that back to mind, the evolution of our country. Yes, so this was the Northwest Territory generally, exactly.
Speaker 3: Britain had Great Britain, even though they lost to US in the Revolutionary War, they had decided that they were going to claim all of the Midwest, and just west of that was Spain, and then we also had France. So the world's superpowers were all kind of carving up the North American continent and deciding who would get it. The way Britain decided that they would get it would be to just encourage these Indian tribes to be terrorists and to make settling Ohio so dangerous and so bloody and horrible that the Miami Valley was actually in those days called the Miami Slaughterhouse. It was just that bad. I mean, people couldn't even leave their stockade. Places like Covalt Station, Columbia Station, with stations were little stockades or forts, and they were probably a footprint the size of your garage, you know, a little bit bigger.
Speaker 2: Maybe tiny houses?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well actually, and they would live in these little blockhouses about as big as a garage. One of them was James Kemper, who gave his name to Kemper Road, who founded Walnut Hills Academy, and he lived in one of those blockhouses.
Speaker 4: Picture this with sixteen children.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, oh my okay. You know, logistically speaking, you know, we have our own bedroom in our house there, Peter Bronson. Logistically speaking, how do you build a family of sixteen children when everyone's living in the same room. A different way of living life back then, I must observe all right, kids, everybody out of the house. Mom and dad needs some quiet time out.
Speaker 2: I don't watch out for the Indians.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, but I mean you really had to have it almost called intestinal fortitude. Who just who accepts and adopts that by choice? Yes, that kind of life. These people, by the way, you're gonna be going in the most miserable, desolate, dangerous place in the Well, it wasn't in the United States by that, but in the territory. Well, well, I have fun, or you can move over to Kentucky and where they have a real, relatively stable life your choice. I just can't imagine people taking that on.
Speaker 3: Well, you got to think of it from their point of view, which is that they had been in a culture in Europe where they weren't allowed to have land, They weren't allowed to be anything but peasants under the thumb of some other autocratic dictator or monarch.
Speaker 2: Hold over the feudal area. So they those.
Speaker 3: Families that came to Ohio, this really was the promised land, because they described it as unbelievably rich soil, beautiful clean water, unbelievable forests to build your houses and to build log cabins and stations. And they would all come down on these little flatboats that are slightly bigger than a big car, go like huck Finn. Yeah, and they would have all of their livestock, all of their implements, all of their tools, all of their family eight or ten kids on one of these boats. And a lot of those boats were attacked by Indians before they even got here, and people were slaughtered. So but the land and the appeal of that freeland, freedom, ownership, good soil, clean water, a future, it was so strong for those people that they risked everything.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. So at parallel could be drawn. People were drawn out west. Maybe because of the gold rush. Yeah, there was a commodity. You could become very, very wealthy. In this particular case of the mindset was you can be a landowner. Yes, so you can grow stuff, you can finally own your property. And they had such horrible experiences with the Indians. They sent the governor of the first governor of the Northwest Territory with was General Arthur Saint Clair, who was a revolutionary war veteran and he was a close friend of George Washington. He named Cincinnati Cincinnati. It was previously low Santyville. You've probably heard it, Yeah, And he's the one who came and said, I don't like that name.
Speaker 3: It's kind of awkward, so I'm going to name it after a society that George and I belonged to.
Speaker 2: The Cincinnatis absolutely.
Speaker 3: But then he led an expedition to subdue the Indians and they were ambushed because he was a foolish general, and they were ambushed near Fort Defiance, and he was absolutely massacred. They called it the Battle of a Thousand Slain and the stragglers who came back, their wives and their children went with them, and they were all murdered. They were all massacred there in the woods. And the few who straggled back so much terrified Cincinnati that people almost abandoned Fort Washington, which was the only foothold we had in the Northwest territory. If that had happened, Great Britain would have taken all of the Midwest. This would all be Canada.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. More with Peter Bronson, he's in Citio. We're going to talk about this for the entire I could talk to Peter for hours, so we're going to at least get a couple more segments with him before we hear from Brian Ibel from the Help Squad doing some charity work and this wonderful opportunity to do charital work season stick around. I want to mention Colling Electric though calling Andrew Culling of the team of electricians are all licensed, they're all take great care of your home, respectful they are of your home and a well oiled machine. Every time I sentioned that well oiled machine, I think a lily the electricians. She's been with Color Electric for like twenty years. Just a real firecracker working that crew over my house doing all those can lights and what it was over the period of like one or two days. Just got it done and it's just beautiful work, I think again, taking great care of your home. They're really respectful of your home. And the price is always right, so you can count on. Call it Electric. They have an A plus of the Better Business Bureau. I you've got a small project, you want to have an outlet installed, they'll do it can lights like I did. Absolutely wire up the whole house generated They did that for me. They also did all the work on the new bathroom modeling projects.
Speaker 2: So call them up.
Speaker 1: You've got a ten year warrant you on everything they do for you, and please give them my regards when you do call them five one three two two seven four one one two five one three two two seven four one one two Find them online learn more. Cullen c U L L E. N. Cullen Electric, Cincinnati dot com.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRC. Hello, I'm Victor Gray. Here's your nine first twenty one poe cast.
Speaker 1: Going to have a wet, overcast day to day, basically some isolated afternoon showers a possible forty three for the high, cloudy overnight down of thirty eighth. Tomorrow, mostly cloudy start, partly cloudy, finished with a higher forty eight. Partly cloudy overnight with a low of thirty four and fifty four high on Sunday with most mostly Sunday skies thirty four.
Speaker 2: Right now, time for traffic from the UCL Traffic Center.
Speaker 5: Are you one of the thirty eight million Americans impacted by diabetes? Got personalized education and treatment options from the experts, Say you see help orn more, you see health dot Com. Cruis are working with the new accident northbound seventy five in Errolinger. It's on the ramp from eastbound two seventy five right hand side. There's also a REX southbound seventy five at the Western Hills Viaduct, but everybody there.
Speaker 2: Is lined up over on the shoulder. No delay.
Speaker 5: Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 2: Seven thirty one, come up to seven thirty two.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I was just having this wonderful conversation with Peter Bronson on air. Off air, we were talking about literature generally and talking about bookstores because he's going to be signing books at Joseph Beth Bookstore. He's a huge supporter Joseph Beth and please support your local bookstores. We only have like one laugh books. When are you going to be there, Peter.
Speaker 3: I'll be there on Saturdays starting at one o'clock and I'll be there for a few hours on most Saturdays leading.
Speaker 4: Up to Christmas.
Speaker 1: Wonderful, wonderful. I'm talking literature with him. I found out we were both huge Dostoyevsky fans. He's my favorite writer. So we just we could talk about this stuff all day. But we're going to move back to Promised Land. How the Midwest Was Won. His most recent book, again the kind of prequel to his prior book, The Man Who Saved Cincinnati early area history before the state was formed, the wars with the Native American tribes who were very murderous and slaughtered lots and lots of people, and they were cursed as we find. I've had an earlier agnon by the British. Also, this was a period of time, this this this development and before statehood.
Speaker 2: History where everybody had firearms.
Speaker 1: Used the British or big time on providing the Native American tribes with firearms to go do this slaughtering for them absolutely.
Speaker 3: In fact, there were laws in Cincinnati that you could not attend church without bringing your firearm. No really, yeah, because it was so dangerous. So to go from one station to another, you had to take armed guards, to even send out your daughters to get water two hundred yards from your blockhouse, to send your sons with weapons.
Speaker 1: So they had scouts out on the field kind of monitoring everybody's behavior. Oh my gosh, they were everywhere, everywhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Abraham Covalt, who settled Covalt Station with his family, was scalped and murdered right under the walls of the stockade, I mean, right within sight of his family. So, I mean this was constantly happening. I think probably the most terrifying thing when I think about it, would be the torture, because the white settlers were very brutal. They took scalps, but what they did not do is kidnap people and torture them for two or three days for entertainment. And that was pretty routine in the Indian tribes. It was part of their culture. They believed that they could they could take your strength by doing that, and they could break you and they really enjoyed seeing people just broken down to nothingness. And so the types of torture are just defy the imagine nation.
Speaker 4: They were so creative.
Speaker 1: It's the stuff of I think of, you know, when you read about German the Nazis torturing people or murdering people outright, or the Japanese torturing people. And it's hard trying them on the bamboo fields and letting the bamboo shoots grow up. Misery and where do I mean where that comes from? And obviously apparently what I suppose white people brought some of that on themselves to some degree, they did.
Speaker 4: They did.
Speaker 3: In fact, there were times when the militias were sent out to punish white settlers who were breaking treaties and were who were murdering Indians, and this just became You can just imagine if you had found the remains of your brother, your father, your your son who had been tortured that way, there would be nothing that would stop you from trying to exact retribution.
Speaker 1: So just pop in my head, yea, yeah, Gaza Iran the terror as proxies well, and you know, the Russians didn't have a real easy shot when they invaded Afghanistan. I heard about all the torture that the Afghani people put the Russian soldiers they caught through baking them alive. Back to the Roman Empire and the devious ways go back to the Middle Ages and the torture chambers and the inquisition. Man mankind is just filled with all kinds of nasty stuff. There is some dark stuff, really necessarily out of line with the world's history at all.
Speaker 4: Not at all.
Speaker 3: One of the things that I think it does instruct us about, though, is there has been an attempt in the past thirty or forty years to rehabilitate the reputation of these tribes and make them sound less fierce and more innocent, and more the noble savage of Rousseau. And really this is just nonsense. I think even they would be offended by the notion that they weren't that fierce and terrorists, you know.
Speaker 1: Right, because again, they were duking it out amongst themselves before we ever showed up. Exactly will continue with Peter runs and it's seven point thirty six here fifty five k see the talk station. Chance for me to mention chimneycare, fireplace and stove. I do want you to be safe. Of course, safety is one of the reasons Chimneycare fireplace and stove exists. Have your chimney, your fireplace, your free standing stove, your wood waste pellet stove, have it inspected by one of the professionals that the chimneycare fireplace in stove. That way, when you're using it this winter, you know you are going to be safe. I'm the perfect illustration of what an inspection can lead you to keep in my house from getting burned down. Builder special insert that I had in the house, and the events have been covered up, and the bottom line is, if I use it, the heat was building up so intensely that it could have really created a fire situation. So that's what the inspection revealed. So I quit using it, and then I got in touch with the showroom four thirteen Wards Corner Road, checked out what they had by way of fireplace inserts, and I selected a gorgeous fireplace insert. It matches the architectural design of our home, our living room, beautiful, beautiful, It's like first world stuff. I got a remote control for my gas fireplace, which it's always been gas, turn it on off, adjust the flamesdus the lights adjust the blowerun and that's the neat thing about an insert because it gets as a blower that'll blow the heat from the firebox into the room as opposed to letting gravity. Just take it right up and outside the house, and that up and outside the house. For wood burners, you've got maybe a kreosoap built up problem that could lead to a chimney fire. Maybe you had one already and you didn't know about it, and your lining is cracked. They can take care of all of that, so have some peace of mind as we enter the fireplace season. Get in touch with Chimneycare Fireplace and stove and have them clean your dryer vent out while they're at your home. It's easy to get in touch with them online. Learn about all their services chimneycareco dot com. It's five one three two four eight ninety six hundred five to one three two four eight ninety six hundred fifty five KRC contact interest.
Speaker 2: Here's your night first one to wether forecast.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have an overcast day to day with isolated afternoon the showers in a high forty three clouds every night thirty eight mostly cloudy to partly cloudy tomorrow as the day moves on forty eighth for the high overnight low of thirty four with partly cloudy skys. Sunday going off at fifty four with a mostly sunny day thirty three. Right now traffic time.
Speaker 2: From the UCL Traffic Center.
Speaker 5: Are you one of the thirty eight million Americans impacted by diabetes? Get personalized education and treatment options from the experts at UCE Help learn more ado you see how dot com. South Bend seventy five continues to build through Wakland and an extra five then no tobady into downtown and pass an accident above the Western Hills Viaduct left shoulder North found seventy five break lights from before, buttermilk into the cut North found four to seventy one slows across the bridge. Chuck Ingram on fifty five Kara Sea Leave Talk Station.
Speaker 1: Seven forty one fifty five Kosite Talks Station, Loving the hell out of this hour of Peter Bronson and Studio Tucking promised Land. How the Midwest was one his most recent book and a series of fabulous books which you can find at Chile dog Press dot com. Peter Brownson's got his own publishing company, Chili Dog Press dot com. That makes things kind of nice. You don't have to worry about finding a publisher, Peter.
Speaker 4: That's right. My editor is kind of a jerk, but that's me.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Joe wants to do? Is Rob Rider going to do the audiobook for this one?
Speaker 3: Yes, he's just finishing the audiobook for the Man from Whosave, Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: So I love that guy.
Speaker 4: Rob Ryder is a fantasty guy.
Speaker 3: Yes, we just had lunch the other day at where Covalt station.
Speaker 1: How about that? That does not shock me? So, josepheth this Saturday.
Speaker 3: Right coming up in December, December Saturdays, okay, and then on December first, I'm doing I'm signing at the Little Miami Brewing Company for the Beer Can Collectors of America. It's kind of a festival for all these guys who collect all things related to beer.
Speaker 1: I remember beer can collections and I was a little kids. We're all the rage back in the seventies. Yeah, yeah, well it's still going. Well, that doesn't shock me, so, jillidog press dot com or to get this book of Joe's put on the blog page forty five casy dot com a guy we have not you and I talked about off air about this character, but I wanted to let my listeners know something they're going to find out about when they read The Promised Land.
Speaker 2: Mad Anthony Wayne.
Speaker 4: Yes, what a fantastic character.
Speaker 3: He's the kind of character when I'm doing research I go, Wow, I couldn't make this guy up if it was a novel. He is so interesting. So he was a revolutionary war hero again. He was at Valley Forge with Washington. He got the term Mad Anthony because he was so tough. He led a bayonet charge straight up a mountain side and took Stony Point from the British under their cannons, and he wouldn't even let his men load their guns because he said he wanted to use bayonets because they're quieter. Oh, and they inspire so much terror. Well, when after Arthur Saint Clair was completely demolished and defeated and Cincinnati in the Northwest Territory was in jeopardy from the British, George Washington turned to his friend Anthony and he said, this is the guy I want to send him. Well, that was shocking to Congress at the time. Because Mad Anthony was a total scoundrel, a rogue. When he was fighting a war, he was great, But in peacetime he was a complete failure. He was cheating on his wife, he was in debt up to his ears. He was kicked out of Congress for voter fraud. Yeah, and he was in just a complete disgrace. And so when George Washington tapped him for this job to go save the Northwest Territory, the Congress almost wouldn't approve it, but he was sent and he formed the first paid, formal, congressionally approved US Army. And some of the units that served under Matt Anthony Wayne are still in the US Army today and trace their origin all the way back to that about that and he launched from Fort Washington and Cincinnati and built the chain of forts, and he won the independence and the freedom and safety of the North with the whole Northwest Territory at the Battle of Fallen Timbers when he defeated the Confederation of Tribes, and it was such a sound defeat. There was a British fort nearby called Fort Miami, and the Indians had thought they could take refuge in that if they were defeated, and when they got there, the British wouldn't open the gates. So the British completely lost all of their support and backing in the Indian tribes. But what's more, when Matt Anthony got to the British fort, he rode out alone on his horse and rode right under the walls of the British fort.
Speaker 2: How about that.
Speaker 3: With all these muskets trained on him, and they didn't dare shoot him because he had his whole army in the woods.
Speaker 1: I mean, what a guy guy You mentioned him being this absolute miserable person in his private life. Basically yeah, and I'm thinking on the heels of Matt Gates thrown at a towel of this Pete Heggs philandering thing going on that might put him in trouble. Best thing's pale by comparison this guy and this guy was wildly successful.
Speaker 2: Now as a hero, can't judge a book by its covering.
Speaker 4: Your heroes or where you get them.
Speaker 1: Exactly more one more with Peter Bronson, We'll catch yourself as a crime stop or bad guy the week right out of the gate, and then get back to Peter talking Promised Land. How the West the Midwest was one with my guests Sinceudia Peter Bronson. Real quick word here for Zimmer twenty four hour days, seven d a week leaders for all your emergency HVAC need. You were in the best possible hands when you're working with the folks at Zimmer. This is third generation folks keeping you safe, comfortable and keeping your systems running efficiently, which is really important. That's why I recommend getting on one of the maintenance plans. You can have Zimmer coming out there on a regular basis annually perhaps and keep it system clean, keep it running efficiently, and so you are ready to hit the ground running, like for example, when the heat comes on this year. May have been there already, but right now they're still offering a twenty two hundred dollars rebates a cool carrier comfort rebates. So if your AC's gone belly up, it's time to replace it. Call the professionals at Zimmer. Of course, Carrier invented air conditioning. They make one great air conditioning unit in Zimmer of course an authorized dealer an installer of Carrier units, but they do service more than that, which is why I always recommend go to the website check them out. I'll service anything you've got. Obviously, the emergency service is available. Before you tell Chris Zimmer that Brian Thomas said Hi. When you call them up to schedule apployment, please, it's five one three five two one ninety eight ninety three five one three five ninety eight ninety three Online, it's go Zimmer.
Speaker 2: Dot com fifty five KRC.
Speaker 4: Have you ever thought about.
Speaker 1: Here's your nine casts overcast day to day of isolated afternoon showers and a high forty three down to thirty eight every night with clouds forty eight to high Tomorrow with clouds thirty four overnight Saturday with party, cloudy skies and.
Speaker 2: A mostly sunny Sunday.
Speaker 1: They happy to report that fifty four for the eye right now thirty forty degrees time for traffic.
Speaker 5: From the U see A Traffic Center. Are you one of the thirty eight million Americans impacted by diabetes? Got personalized education and treatment options from the experts at you see How Learn more at you see.
Speaker 2: How dot Com.
Speaker 5: Southbound seventy five continues to build through Lachlan and an extra five minutes there, but noally passed the accident on southbound seventy five above the Western News Viaduct. They're on the left shoulder inbound seventy four backs to Montana. Chuck Ingram on fifty five krs. The talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven fifty fifty five KRCD Talks station Brian Thomas with Peter Bronson in studio talking about his new book which everyone should get Promised Land How the Midwest was won. But before we get back to Peter, it is that time of week where we catch ourselves a crime stopper, bad guy the week. Welcome back to the morning show Officer Lisa Big with the wonderful Cincinnai Police Department. Look at this guy, he looks mean. Who we looking for, Lisa.
Speaker 6: Good morning. We are looking for Jason Haynes. He's wanted for fellony, domestic violence, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. Jason Haynes. He's a white male. He's thirty nine years old. He's six foot tall, two hundred and twenty one pounds, has a history of THELONEUS assault and domestic violence charges, and he frequents.
Speaker 1: And would I hate people who commit domestic violence. Jason get a life man, walk away. Anyhow, if we know where Jason Haynes's wife, Beater is I'm gonna assume that anyway, What are we gonna do, Lisa Baker give crime.
Speaker 6: Stop as a call five one three three five two thirty four. You can't always assume that either, I.
Speaker 1: Know, I know, I know, I apologize, he said. Listen, I'm never putting words in your mouth, Lisa Baker, as always me, I take credit so his pictures on my blowy past few five Percy dot com. You remain anonymous drop of diamond. Um, you'll be eligible for a cash reward and be doing society a favor and getting this recidivious domestic violence abuser off the street. Thank you Lisa Baker for indulging me. Back to Peter Bronson, all right, you got mad Anthony Wayne, you got all the history of the early days of the greater Cincinnati area. You've talked all morning about the perils of someone biting off the opportunity, and it was in their mind, an opportunity to live in this unbelievably treacherous world. Yes, that's just amazed over that. The spine, the tenacity, the willpower.
Speaker 3: You know, we talked earlier about how inspiring and proud these stories made because this is one of those These are the people Cincinnati was founded on. There's some tough people, and we get to we follow these families up to about eighteen thirty six. So in eighteen thirty six the Alamo. You remember the Alamo, right, everybody remembers the Alamo. Well, Texas in there, A lot of us don't remember what that was all about. Texas was actually part of Mexico and they were fighting for independence from Mexico. And Santa Anna, who was Generalissimo el Presidente of Mexico, decided he would personally lead thousands and thousands of Mexican troops up into Texas and just completely lay waste to these upstarts.
Speaker 4: And he gets to the Alamo, of course we know that story.
Speaker 3: He also massacred a bunch of prisoners at Goliad, which was in those days they would say remember Goliad just as often as remember the Alamo. And so Texas sent a secret agent, one of their secret service guys. His name was Francis pickI Yun Smith, great Texas name, and he was sent to all over the Midwest, and he came to Cincinnati and he appealed for help, and Cincinnati was the only city that stood up and helped Texas. Really, yes, and it was these same families who knew what it was like to fight for their property and their freedom in the Northwest Territory. So we had these families like the Litols, like the Ludlows, like all these famous names that we know now. Well, these families risked everything because they violated the National Neutrality Act to help what would be an insurgency in a foreign country because Texas was part of Mexico. Well, they risked. Some of them were congressmen, there were newspaper publishers, and some of them even went and fought for Texas and enlisted so and one of them was killed at Goliad. Well, what Cincinnati did was it forged two cannons and they sent them down to Texas. And while Sam Houston was running for his life, he finally had the big set peace battle at Sanjacinto near Houston. And if not for those canons, which Santa Anna did not know that Houston had, Texas would have lost its independence and today Texas would be part of Mexico. It was Cincinnati that saved Texas in eighteen thirty six.
Speaker 1: Easilise the stuff you find out in your and I asked you off air about writing as a process, and your your eyes lit up. Yeah, it's so obvious how much you enjoy this. And you did point out that the best part about it is the research. Oh yeah, just going through all the old records and coming up with these tidbits and wild information like you just pointed out. Folks, get a copy of Peter Ronson's most recent book, Promised Land, How the Midwest Was Won, and I can confidently recommend all the other books on Peter's very long list of just wonderful wonderful read Just go to chilidog press dot com. You get signed copies when you order it from your work exactly.
Speaker 4: Yes, I will sign all the copies I sent out.
Speaker 3: And if you go to my website right now, I'm having a special for Christmas. It's a twenty five percent off buy one, buy three, get one free.
Speaker 4: Oh well, so that's a great way to do your Christmas shopping. Four gifts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get multiple copies of those sets, because you know there is more than one person you're buying gifts for in your life, and if they don't live under the same roof and not sharing books together, you got your Christmas shopping all the way done at Chili Dogpress dot com. I have Joe add that link to my blog page fifty five KR's dot com. Peter, you are always welcome in my studio. We can talk about anything all day long, and you know, quite often there's nothing I like more than getting away from politics and talking about me too. I'll look forward to seeing again, and you know what, have a very happy Thanksgiving me YouTube.
Speaker 2: Brian.
Speaker 4: It's always good to be with you. Always enjoy it.
Speaker 1: You got a welcome spot right here, folks, don't go away. The return of Brian Eyebold nefarious character, Not really.
Speaker 2: Some people know him as such.
Speaker 1: I know him as the creator of the Help Squad, a wonderful, wonderful charity operating on the West Side. We're gonna hear from Brian, and then my mouth is watering already. Kimberly from the Saint Anthony Patowick Church with Mediterranean food festival, food and information about that going on this weekend.
Speaker 2: That'll be an eight thirty. I hope you can stick around in an ever changing world. There's one constant you can depend on.
Speaker 1: Fifty five KRC, the talk station at the top end, bottom of the hour,