Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Game Mess Mornings with Me Jeff Grab your host from giant bomb dot com. Hey, we're a year old. Hi everybody, Thank you, thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna be talking about Xbox's biggest gaming leaking, biggest gaming leaking, biggest game leaking early. It's gonna be a good one because we have Lexiletti on the show. LEXI, how are you doing.
Speaker 2: I am here, I'm celebrating. I'm in the festive spirit. I'm wishing you happy anniversary, like, which is a normal thing to do. Is Yeah, it's it's been a year. Do you want to know where I was when I found out that that Giant Bomb may not have been a thing. I was about to sit down to watch Thunderbolts in the cinema because.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, really, yeah, it's been.
Speaker 2: A rough week. I'm going to take an early day off this Friday. I think it was a Friday. I was like, I'm going to take an early like day off. I'm going to go to the cinema, go for a nice long walk out to the cinema. And I get there and I sit down and I look at my phone and I see a bunch of ominous messages on Blue Sky, and I was like, well, I have time to watch a movie for two hours and see what is when I come out.
Speaker 1: And then by the time you came out, we we own giabomb. So yeah, we've we've been independent for a year. Everybody, it's it's been fast, kind of NonStop and a lot of really good ways.
Speaker 3: It's been a good year. We got a cool little video up.
Speaker 1: Showing some of the like a sizzle reel from our first year. We are going to be celebrating everything with a big marathon stream. Mike's going to be playing through Donkey Kong sixty four. He's starting that today and think, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: I don't think he understands no, that game is not like he's like, oh, yeah, she's a boring platform but like, I don't think he under sounds that like it's a grating platformer. It's an aggressively grating platformer. Like I watched a lot of us. Yeah, yeah, I watched a lot of that h bomber guy streaming it. But that man doesn't break easy. It almost killed him.
Speaker 1: No, those those beavers, they were bothering him. They were definitely bothering him. Uh yeah, so that's my that's my one thing. Everybody when when we ski, when we post on social media that he is in Beaver bother, just show.
Speaker 3: Up for that.
Speaker 1: At least you're not gonna want to miss it. I think there is a chance Mike one shots it, and if he does, then we all we all have to give. We have to we all have to subscribe to Giant Bomb.
Speaker 2: If he doesn't one shot at We're gonna get a lot of good sound bites of like saying things about.
Speaker 1: Beavers, suggest non stop weird weird phrases about beavers.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be special and amazing.
Speaker 2: So Soundboard is going to be like totally overhauled with just Mike beaver talk.
Speaker 1: We will get the beaver bother Claxon's going everybody when it happens. But yeah, the whole thing is going to be starting today and I think basically it's a Sabbathan style. So the more subs that we get, but you know, we're doing this because it's the years up. We want people to re up their subscription. We'll be transparent, like we're trying to give you guys a fun reason to come back and stay subscribed. This is the first fun reason, so tune in for that. Support support us, support Mikey, keep them going. Let's actually see him one hundred and one percent this thing, and thanks to everybody who's just been been there for us so far. You know what, Let's get into things and explain ourselves. Yeah, we are Giant Bomb. You could start that at support by going to giant bomb dot com slash Join. Become a premium member, gets you at free versions of our shows, gets you premium access to shows that are only available and.
Speaker 3: Exclusive to you.
Speaker 1: If you are a subscriber, might get you some early access, like hey, starting today or tomorrow in some cases, I'm sorry, yesterday. In some cases, bully, the endurance run has begun. If you are a premium member, you get a week early access. It'll be going up for everybody next week. But why not just go ahead and start watching right now. It was a lot of fun. I hope people are enjoying it. It's we're gonna be putting those up every weekday until it's done. So tune in for that and then yeah, that's GiantBomb dot com slash Show and become a premium member. Thank you as far as this show goes most weekdays, I Jeff Grubb will help Eeceier in gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you were watching live on twitch welcome, You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mess Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Hello YouTube.
Speaker 1: All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning Mess with Directive eighty twenty. Reviews are in seventy six On Open Critic, Let's see tech Raptors. Andrew Stretch wrote seven point five out of ten ten and said Directive eighty twenty does a lot correctly, but tends to get in its own way instead of letting the players sit in the uncomfortableness. The new turning point system makes exploring new outcomes a breathe. Though Day one gave it a seven out of ten, I believe this was Jesse that wrote this. Director of eighty twenty is a solid sci fi yarn let down by some early snark filled writing. The plot is serviceable in showing you some gorgeous locations full of people you may or may not want to save and a bevy of monsters you'll get bored hiding from. If you've enjoyed the studio's previous works, then rest assured that director of eighty twenty may well be worth checking out.
Speaker 3: LEXI, I believe believe you played this right.
Speaker 2: Yes, I reviewed this. My review is up on Game of Guides right now. I gave it a seventy nine out of one hundred. I like it quite a bit. I think I think it's pretty obvious why they have not been leaning into the dark Pictures stuff with this game. This is a ark Pictures game, but is much more in line with the size and i'd say the polish of something like The Quarry or what's it again until Dawn, of course. But yeah, I really really enjoyed this game. It has one or two genuine surprising plot twists in it that I thought were pulled off pretty well and kind of play into the structure and the foremast of these games in a way that I quite like. I also quite like that the characters are one that they just have more time to develop them in a way that the usual dark pictures games just really don't. And also all of them are like good at their jobs. They're not dirt bad teenagers, which like you can have endearing dirt bag teenagers. I think until Darn Mike, especially in that game, is like really good the guy who the jock who gets the shit beat out of them without that game, but I think that all of these people being quite competent and good at their jobs and generally able to keep track of things and logic things out is really refreshing for the like compared to the usual more slashery victims in these games. It's much easier to keep these people alive because they are able to think through what they are doing. I also think the turning points system is a much better way. That is basically it in previous games. You could you'd see at the end of the game all the decisions that you'd made and how they kind of butterfly affected out on what path you went down, And if you wanted to go and see other decisions, you had to start from the beginning of the game or load a chapter and then continue from there. This allows you to rewind to literally every single previous decision, no matter what is, whether it's a dialogue choice or whether it is one of the bigger like ranching points of the narrative. It allows you to jump back to one of those and pick something different. And as you look through the kind of mind map of the game, which you know tells you where you made your decisions and what they led to, it also tells you what decision would let you get the other outcome. So if you see one of the characters dies in it because you know in a chapter, and you pause it and then you see that there's a version of events where they wouldn't have died, it will tell you like, oh, back in chapter three, if you had set this up, they would have been fined. So you can rewind back to chapter three and just start from there. And it's again, it doesn't totally relieve the like fact that you do have to replay through all of the section leading up to mash point then again, but it allows you to at least know where to start to make that decision and quickly jump back to it. And it is like an almost instantaneous you just jump straight back to that point. The game also introduced is a collectible towards the end that does ties into the rest of the Dark Pictures universe. Up until that point, it's barely it's barely connected, and basically that's a reason to continue exploring your save file and going looking in different scenes again for more collectibles. And if you do that, you'll unlock a thing. And there's a whole thing that wasn't even in the game when we played it, but they've said they will patch it in with the Day one release. So yeah, I think this game stands alone really well compared to the rest of the Dark Pictures games. And I think that like even just the character one character, Surning, is way more interesting than almost any other character their version if you keep them alive long enough and you hear some of the like stuff that he has to deal with, And yeah, I quite like it. It's not perfect. These games have a habit of feeling quite disconnected in places because they do have to account for certain characters not being alive or maybe you not learning so and pieces of information, so sometimes they do just feel slightly disjointed, but like, it's not the end of the world. And also this game is designed to be replayed multiple times so that you do get that whole soul you or a bigger insight to what was really happening.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I really like it excellent. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, while you were talking there, I was kind of glancing at some of the previous Open Critics scores for the Dark Pictures games and other super massive games basically, and this is just right in kind of the middle. It's maybe on the higher end actually in terms of just where the scores are coming in A seventy nine for The Quarry, this is seventy six. A lot of the Dark Dark Dark Pictures games. The other ones are in that range or lower. And I think, you know, as much as it's a cliche at this point, and we do rightfully ridicule it, fans of the genre shall rejoice here, right. I mean, like, if you know you like these games, this is another one of those without sort of anything that's going to necessarily push you away, and maybe some neat features that might help you explore the game, like the turning point system.
Speaker 3: Right. That's my read on these reviews so far.
Speaker 2: The degree to which they lean into, hey, this is just the thing in space is kind of like, yeah, we know that, Like you are literish in the horror genre, and as the game progresses, it actually subverts some of that stuff in a way that I thought was really fun for a game that is so like it is a way that the people who are playing this have probably watched the thing and have probably watched Alien and it does some clever twists on that stuff as the game goes on, and it plays around with time and some interesting ways that I really liked this game is like, yeah, fans of the genre is one way to put it. But I do think it's just it's engaging in a way if you do like that stuff in a different way if you do like that stuff. So that's that's kind of why I was drawn to it, because I do really like, you know, horror and horror movies and shit like that.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, that makes sense as well, did do you? I can't remember. Is this the one that also has or maybe they've done this in recent games and carries over here built in sort of multiplayer function where multiple people can play at the same time and have input on the choices.
Speaker 2: So this one, as far as I can tell, the multiplayer is much more in line with until Dawn, which was kind of a past the controller thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In some of these games, it was like, oh, if you split up, then one player online has control of these characters and another player online has control of these characters. And that is not here in this one. And I think that actually serves the story better because they don't feel as compelled to constantly separate characters for no good reason, and it kind of just gives the game a more naturalistic feel to it. For most of it. I think that the multiplayer stuff is mostly just past the controller kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Yep, makes sense.
Speaker 1: Once again, that's directive eighty twenty. It is a seventy six on Open critic LEXI seems to be pretty but pretty.
Speaker 3: You seem like you liked it. When is it available to? Like? What is it up now? Is it available to?
Speaker 2: I think it's I think it's a few days. I can check the release that. If you are unsure on this game, I would recommend I bet the next Land of Folks will play through this, watch the stream and how the look as they like those games. Yeah, it is out the twelfth, so it's out tomorrow.
Speaker 1: I was listening to the Plan Rama over there on the next Lander, which helps me plan the month as well, So thanks for doing the work for me, guys. And they were talking about it on there and they were interested in the turning points system and stuff like that. So yeah, I'll be watching them play as well. All right, let's get to the next story. Yeah, the biggest Xbox game kind of period at this point just leaked early. Sports the Horizons has leaked online and they have cracked it, so now you can play it early right now on PC. This is from Chris Scullion at VGC. The PC version of Forts of Horizon six appears to have been leaked online ahead of its full release. The much anticipated sixth game in the Forts of Horizon series is set for general release on May nineteenth, with early access available from May fifteenth, basically this Friday for people who buy the premium Premium edition. However, as noted by numerous sources online, including the Gaming Leaks and Rumors reddit page, the PC version has been acquired, cracked, and made available for download by pirates. Well, the main reason for the leak has not been fulleged. Yeah, all right, touche well done. It's not been fully and officially confirmed. The main reason that is The leading theory is that the pre loaded version of the game was uploaded to Steam's back end on Sunday by a developer, but was done so without any encryption. This reportedly made it possible for certain individuals to download the files and apply a crack to make the game playable. That doesn't make a ton of sense to be like, people could just go into Steam servers and find the game if it's been uploaded, even if it's not been released. It feels like multiple things must have failed here. VGC has been has seen the game available for download on certain websites, but it's not downloaded it and therefore cannot verify its validity. Although people are just playing it now. People have been sharing stuff online.
Speaker 3: So uh yeah, wow, this is god.
Speaker 1: Xbox can't can't do any Like if there is a rake that could be stepped on.
Speaker 3: They'll find a fucking way.
Speaker 2: You know, the phrase like couldn't catch a break if like for love nor money, like the idea of like you no matter how much money, you couldn't catch But Microsoft have infinite money and they literally can't catch a break in a way that I find like pretty fucking poetic these days.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, exactly. It's like it's maybe karma. I don't know. Yeah, so this is the game.
Speaker 3: That just sells for them, does very well.
Speaker 1: This one feels like it is going to be a monstrous hit, and so for this to happen and kind of just it's going to take some of the wind out of the sales.
Speaker 3: Obviously.
Speaker 1: The Xbox version is going to probably still do just fine, although it's on game Pass. Although that happened last time, and when they had the early access thing, people still paid a bunch of money on top of their game Pass subs.
Speaker 3: To play it early.
Speaker 1: They'll still sell a lot of copies of this game, but this is the one that was supposed to be like their big winner this year.
Speaker 3: And now I bet, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I kind of feel like just checking a pirate site and seeing the number of seeds for this thing right now, I bet it's pretty high. I bet there's already one hundred thousand plus people seeding this thing. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 2: It is very funny that people who are pirating this game can play it through Steam by adding it as a non Steam game. But I can't play it through Steam because I was given a Microsoft Store code, and Microsoft does and allow you to add their games to Steam if you I just want to use Steam input. I just want to take a screenshot with my control of goddam it. Yeah, Sean also left you and Osha story.
Speaker 3: That's uh.
Speaker 1: The Forts files were uploaded to Steam without DRM. Yes, I did hear that of something that then I heard they only had Steam DRM, which Sean, you're in chat you could correct me is basically the same thing as no DRM at all. Is kind of how that works these days. But I don't know, like either way this stuff is. This is a big, big mess up because this game was going to sell a ton on Friday.
Speaker 3: It probably still will.
Speaker 1: But Microsoft, coming off their most recent financial earndents, was like, hey, our hardware is obviously not selling nobody wants that, but also our games are selling less than they were last year. And then Forts Horizon six was supposed to come along and change that fate again it probably still will. I don't know what do you think this has a measurable like detrimental effect.
Speaker 2: I mean, these games sell really well on PC, but they sell their best on consoles, like we do know that, and so it's not been cracked on consoles. But yeah, I think it's super interesting to see if this does affect sentiment in any way. The Fort Sir Horizon games are like so known quantities in some ways that in some like reviews for this game are kind of just gonna be like, yeah, it's Forts Horizon. You know, they didn't wind up making a third person shoot a weird but yeah, ultimately, people, what if.
Speaker 1: The reviews are like, no, wait, this is actually Fable. They actually just put Fable in here instead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they fucked it up and they uploaded fable to see that. But yeah, like, I am curious to see what the desire for this game for three years, you know, if it like if that's what the proposition being presented to people now is, because like, if this got cracked a couple of days after launch, it wouldn't get as many news, right ups. It's getting news right ups because it's happened before launch. So that's the thing spreading the information now is that this happened before launch. And I'm curious if that drives people to be like, oh, there's a way to play this game for three So yeah, I'm curious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't even know. I don't even know what pirates sites people go to anymore. I'd have to.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I tried, I tried the Pirate Bay, and at that that website is always like it's just real.
Speaker 3: This is probably just.
Speaker 1: The honey pot now yeah, and then, uh, I can't Jane added it out here.
Speaker 3: I can't believe he didn't read. Oopsie, yeah, my bad.
Speaker 1: Uh Sean said the forts of files were uploaded to Steam without DRM parentheses. Oopsie, there you go, my bad. I apologize. What we're you gonna say?
Speaker 2: Like, I feel like you haven't had to care about getting games on the cheap ever since you got that press account.
Speaker 1: Yeah's place of differences? May yeah at this point, like I'll just wait, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Wonder if you were to calculate how much money you've saved over the years.
Speaker 1: I was, I was still telling somebody like I was doing my taxes, and I'm like, man, I still spend a lot of money on games because I you know, I'll write it off of my taxes.
Speaker 3: It's like this is still you know, four figures. But I.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, yeah, well, like all those copies of one two switch again.
Speaker 3: I mean that is exactly what it is. You got me.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, hey man, I'm playing Forts Horizon six everybody, and yeah, hey, that game is going to be out soon.
Speaker 3: We could talk about it.
Speaker 1: More than several Xbox users managed to download. Here's a different story, everybody, Lego Batman Legacy of the Dark Knight ten days early.
Speaker 3: This is from Jordan Miller at VGC.
Speaker 1: Lego Batman Legacy of the Dark Knight briefly became playable over the weekend, with a small group of Xbox players reporting that they were able to download the game over ten days before it's planned release. Legacy of the Dark Knight is due for release on May twenty second. Over the weekend, a player on the r slash Lego gaming subreddit man There's a subreddit for everything, reported that after pre ordering the game on Xbox, their console notified them that it was ready to play. Typically, when attempting to start a preloaded digital game, it will inform players that they can't use the content until the release date. According to the user, the game started as normal without the usual block. The user uploaded several images to Reddit of him playing the game's opening level to.
Speaker 3: Verify the situation.
Speaker 1: All right, LEXI I think I know what's happening here, agentic AI? I think we have AI agents doing the work of people who should be overseeing the uploading and management of these games to make sure that all of the eyes are dotted, the teas are crossed, and the fucking DRM.
Speaker 3: Works and it.
Speaker 1: Missed something and there was no human to intervene and see that that was happening.
Speaker 3: That's working theory. What do you think? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like it. It is notable that this happened with an Xbox published game on a third party platform and a game being published on an Xbox plam Like there's there's a common element in those two stories and they happened hours apart.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: And I would like to hear the discussions going on inside of Microsoft right now, especially people who handle stuff like you know, publishing and getting those store pages up, and what their current workflow has looked like, and if there's someone very annoyed in a Slack channel going fucking see, I told.
Speaker 1: You, uh this, this sort of thing has happened before. It's worth pointing that out. This is not like some incredibly rare thing. It's pretty rare still though. I think it's just notable. As you pointed, out these things happened back to back. It just and involving the same company one where or the other. Yeah, this one is a little bit I think easier for them to put the toothpaste back in the tube a little bit here because they can sort of just strip the rights of people who were playing the game. Although if they hop off line maybe they can keep playing.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's certainly not a good look, you know, overall, Like when you are trying to build a bit of excitement about a potential next gen Xbox that will be an open PC platform, which again, playing a game on the Xbox PC native app recently has really like reminded me how much Xbox gaming is not an open system on PC. Like it's fucking bizarre. They still do not have a Steam input equivalent, which means that like, for the most part, if you launch a game through the Xbox PC app, unless that game has native Jewel Sense support, you just can't use a Jewel Sense controller or anything that isn't x input, so a Steam controller as well, which is like that's a problem. That's a big fucking problem on PC, especially if you were trying to allure a bunch of people who maybe bought a PS five last generation over to the next Xbox console, which will supposedly also be running the same Xbox PC app. Like they said, it's it's just going to be a Windows machine ultimately, So like you should probably have support for the controller that those people own, especially if you're presenting it as an open platform anyway, Xbox.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, there's just a million things that they need to improve across the board here. Yeah, and it does it just like stuff like this just makes it feel like, you know, it's all kind of a mess. You know, maybe maybe all these things are unrelated. They could be right, It's easy to like spot patterns where none exist. But when I look at this, it makes me feel like the house is not in order, let alone them being in a position to make improvements to the foundation. So that and they are launching a new console that is supposed to work in a new way that the previous counsole did not work. Uh, there they have the wherewithal to address the problems and the unforeseen issues that will pop up because of that. Like it's I think the launch of the next Xbox is gonna be messy because it already feels that way, and then they're changing up the way things work to the point where it's like, oh, they're not going to be able to foresee the headaches that people are gonna have. They're gonna have to put it out into the wild and then sort of respond slowly. And that's where I just don't have a lot of faith in Microsoft's ability to follow up on that stuff, at least in a timely manner.
Speaker 2: Did you see that? Apparently the internal like working project name for improving Windows like that big like push for We're gonna make Windows better is K two, as in the mountain.
Speaker 3: That the mountain kills everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that kills everybody that tries to climate cool. Sure, real fucking dominicandictmond. The way you let yourself get to.
Speaker 1: That, it's like you're just looking up at this thing. I'm like, we'll try. It's gonna kill us, but we'll try. Hell yeah, I love it. All right, Let's let's take a quick break. When we come back. There's a little bit more Microsoft news to touch on.
Speaker 3: We'll do that.
Speaker 1: If you want to skip out on these messages, you can do so gimebomb dot com slush Join, become a premium member. We will be right back. All right, we are back everybody. It's Game Mess Mornings. Jeff Grubb. That's Lexi Luddy. Gears of War E Day may be circling September. This is from John Clark at Day one. A new wrestling event may have given us a clue as to where we can expect when we can expect to be playing Gears for E Day. Excuse me as its sponsoring WWE's Triple Mania this September. Announced on May ninth, Triple Mania is set to take place between September eleventh through to September thirteenth. What's more interesting for Gears fans is who is sponsoring the event.
Speaker 3: Which is Gear of War E Day.
Speaker 1: While it's not a guarantee that the game will be out and playable by that point, previous video game sponsors sponsorships certainly have been timed to coincide with the release of the product doing the sponsoring. We've only seen like like Glover, just going back to Glover, Everything goes back to Glover. We've only seen a very pretty, very pretty announced trailer for Gears of War E Day. Thus far, of course, it's gonna be the big sort of follow up showcase to the Xbox.
Speaker 3: Summer Gamefest Showcase.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna get all the details at that point, including I think everyone expects a firm release date every game still. I mean, we talked about it with every release state story, especially anything happening happening in the second half of this year. Everything sort of is orbiting Grand Theft Auto six. Uh, this game likely coming out before that.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And yeah again, this is happening in September. This Uh, this pay per view a premium live event. I guess I should say so, Yeah, I think that sounds right to me.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, between like being sponsored by a company on the BDS boycott and also everything going on with WWE the vibes, should you seem ipeccable for that event. I'm sure that fucking the gingerbread Man will also show up and get suplexed by Marcus Phoenix and everyone.
Speaker 1: Losh, oh they have do they have Batista show up and like gear or whatever?
Speaker 3: Probably is extremely triple Mania. Just I have no idea what this is to me.
Speaker 1: It's smelt okay to Mexico, Yes, okay, hell yeah, so true. I was like to me, it raked up being in Saudi Arabia. But all right, okay, that's good. Yeah, Hey, I'm mildly I'm not that excited about Gears of War.
Speaker 3: That would be a lie. I just I've never been a Gears guy.
Speaker 1: Uh you know, E Day could win me over, but yeah, I just I've never been two into Gears. I do recognize it as being one of the bigger franchises for Microsoft, and it's one of those ones that I'm sure they want to get I'll say bat on Track, not that it's like derailed or something, but I think they want to make sure it's established for a strong future.
Speaker 3: I feel like they could pull all of that off.
Speaker 1: But it is definitely one of those games that I associate with Xbox, which is they have a handful of franchises that have really won over a certain audience that was on Xbox, and they've done those over and over again, and it's like, if you're not if you haven't bought in yet, you probably aren't going to buy into the next one. And then at the same time, it feels like it's been shedding fans as people move on to other franchises that have fresher ideas or whatever. Do you think Gears of where E Day stands to reinvigorate the franchise, reinvigorate Microsoft.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty six, twenty years going on twenty years after the release of the First Years of War and was still doing like Emergence Day was still okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, I just hope that Batista doesn't show up at this event because he's too good for them exactly.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely, he's a good boy, a good sweet boy, and we want to spare him. Although I'm sure they will pay him because you have his history with Gears, so who knows if he wants to get paid. I'm not gonna blame him, but yes, he's too good for them for sure. I Yeah, there's definitely just like the follow up showcase at Summer Game Festival, Like I'm just personally least excited about because it's like, you know, the Starfield one.
Speaker 3: I had some hope for what was the one last year that they.
Speaker 2: Do You remember what last year was?
Speaker 3: They just they just hit me. It was called duty, wasn't that.
Speaker 2: One more thing was call a fucking Jude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I'm not turned out great. So yeah, I mean it lived up to that hype. It earned. It is what I would say, just like saving Private Ryan earned this.
Speaker 1: That's what call of duty did. Yeah, September, here's the word e day. We'll find out more soon. God, we are within a month of Summer game Fest really kicking off.
Speaker 3: So yeah, look forward to that.
Speaker 1: Investors still aren't happy even after Nintendo raised the price of the switch to and God, pour one out for the investors. This is from Chris Sculling at VGC. Nintendo is raising the price of the switch to in Japan on May twenty fifth, and the rest of the world essentially on September first, with the US price moving to five hundred dollars. For Akala, the president reportedly told investors that the hikes do not fully cover Nintendo's cost increases, and Reuter's reports Nintendo's share shares of fell about seven percent in Tokyo as investors reacted to the price hike and softer outlook. As reported by Reuters for Akawa explained that Nintendo had come to the conclusion that a number of changes in the market environment, including the rising cost of memory, the weekend and rising crude oil prices, We're going to remain for the medium to long term, and that the price increases were made with this in mind. For Rakawa also said that while the new console prices may increase the barrier to purchase, he's hopeful that a solid and growing lineup of Switch two games will and will eventually encourage more players to buy a switch to I mean, okay, we're just kind of like laying out the stuff that we know to be true at this plant, LEXI. Raising the price is going to make the outlook softer necessarily, but they do feel like they have to raise the price because all of those pressures he talked about, you know, least of which being the most recent reason, which is rising oil prices, which you know that you know that that one's like, yeah, obviously it's gonna make it's gonna cost more to ship things. Yeah, but those rising oil prices also like increase the price of petrochemicals, which is plastics, which is in every fucking thing as Billy, Bob Thornton, Sen and Landman. So it's going to be like across the board, they're going to find ways to raise the price and components that all these companies use. So we get that, Uh, I think the you know, it's not that shocking that investors are seeing that and being like, hey, we're spooked, because they're spooked by everything. But do you think that this kind of encourages even more nickeling and diming and future price increases, Like are we done? Or are we going to keep seeing stuff float up in terms of price from Nintendo and the rest of the companies in the space.
Speaker 2: I think like the infuriating thing about this is like investors being like, you didn't raise the price enough because you know the price of RAM and the price of oil is going up, and looking around and being like, whose fucking fault is it that all the money has gone into AI? So now RAM costs a shitload of like who who could have? Who's to bla? We're all looking for the guy who did this?
Speaker 3: Uh huh?
Speaker 2: And so I don't know, like I desperately hope in the next like ten months, we start hearing stories of these data centers not being built because they like it turns out that the reports of them being unrealistic and the schedules for them being unrealistic were on point. And as soon as we start getting a couple like, hey, these data centers aren't coming together in the way that we thought they would. You know, maybe maybe the world will get better from there, but until that point, like things are gonna keep going up. They're just gonna keep going up because there's nothing to break the pattern. Like their show's shit not gonna suddenly broke a piece and the straight off hoo moves will be open for all to go through again. So that's not gonna bring down prices anytime soon. And the AI bubble isn't gonna pop unless it like actively gets popped by something. It will just keep on going on inertia, and even some would say it should have popped several times before now based off of the saying things we've learned and the sheer inertia of like, well, it's gotta be the next big thing.
Speaker 1: It's it's there's so much inertia because there's there are multiple factors, right, there's it's got to be the next big thing. So there's this huge fomo among massive investment firms that do make it like that the analyze risk and make those big choices about how to spend all their trillions of dollars. Yes that they have that fomo. And then there's the fomo of the retail investor who is actually does move the needle these days because people they like felt burned by every time the economy was doing something and they got left behind. And it's like that that actually continues to prop the stuff up. The biggest thing is just like index funds, the retirement funds that just put all their money into these things that you know, sixty percent of the money in the stock in the you know, in the wall on Wall Street right now is just people putting money into retirement accounts and then that stuff getting put into index funds. So the money just keeps flowing in sort of no matter what, and that is continuing to prop all this stuff up. So everyone could just keep saying, look, it's every one still believes in this. So everyone kind of looks at each other. It's like, all right, I'm not going to miss out on it. And the god damn, you know it just hit a new high? Did the Japanese stock market just hit a new high? It continues to just go and go, and at the same time, pocket is.
Speaker 2: Like hitting new highs, but like everything's more expensive for me.
Speaker 3: That everything everything's more expensive, and it's.
Speaker 2: Like I posted this on Blue Sky the other day. When was the last time you felt like you got a good deal at retail? Not like someone did you? You know, we're friends, and I'll give you this for like a bit off, or like you know, going to a mom and pop shop and you know the people there, but like you went to a big name retailer and there was a deal on the shelf and you went, that's a steal. Like you there was a sale online and you were like, this is this is good value? I feel good about this. Like when was the last time you felt satisfied coming away from buying something?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: I think like fast food restaurants have begun flirting with the the value meal again and stuff like that, and even those feel temporary, like they're like one week they'll be there and the next week it'll be gone because I like, I think they are afraid to give that value back to like make like to reacclimate the consumer to the feeling of getting away with something they have you know, mistreated us for so long. Now they're like, hey, this is the new normal, and no one wants to be the first one to sort of break that. So yeah, I mean you also mentioned it though we might be at peak data center at some point here where just the cost to build one does not justify the value you're going to get out of it, Like it could be zero, like it could zero out, zero out. Where it's like, by the time this thing's actually built, it's a little bit outdated, and by the time it reaches its full capacity of like what it's producing, it's one outdated and now we should already scrap this for the next data center that is obviously unsustainable. And it feels like we might already be there at the same time at the same time, like it's like it's not going anywhere.
Speaker 3: AI. Uh.
Speaker 1: Like the thing I always try to remind people about is you know, there's that three prong thing of is it good or I can do a better, I can do it faster, I could do it cheaper, and AI does it faster and cheaper, it's worse. Everybody's right to say it's worse. But if it's faster and cheaper, most most of the companies making these decisions will not care. They will find some way to justify the lower quality. And that's been true throughout free markets from the beginning of time. So it's just not going anywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I need to do a little bit more digging around. Like I actually know people in the engineering space who get contracted out to design these things, and I just kind of want to check in with them and be like, Hey, how are you feeling about fulfilling all these projects? Because they're big product they're fucking massive projects, and like, of course they're taking them because they're big money deals, but like a lot of them, at least the vibe I got was like, yeah, like actually getting these done the days that by time that they addue to be done, that doesn't sound like a doable thing because they're complicated builds. They're extremely complicated builds. So yeah, I'm curious, and.
Speaker 1: They got they have to uh pay the premium prices for all those things, like for the like for all the talk of RAM and storage going up in price, the reason that is happening is because the people building data centers are outbidding the rest of the market by extreme amounts, and so if you want to be in that space, you've got to continue outbidding the people who are already outbidding everyone else in the space. So they'll never get like a discount on building that stuff. If anything, it's just going to keep going up in price, making it even more unsustainable.
Speaker 2: Genuine question, what do you think the founder's addition for the next n video like sixty ninety will be? Because I'm betting three and a half grand, and then the retail versions, the like licensed ones will be six seven plus.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that's that sounds right to me. Yeah, it's three thy five hundred for the reference version. Yeah, that's probably what we're talking about. And even then it could be three thousand, eight hundred, three thousand, nine hundred, getting close to four thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: All right, let's keep going here.
Speaker 1: Shift Up is taking Stellar Blade two away from Sony Publishing and away shift off.
Speaker 3: Shift Up says the.
Speaker 1: Next Stellar Blade game will be self published instead of published by Sony, with a company saying it wants to reach a broad global audience from day one. It also says it is actively exploring further platform expansion for the original game. They mentioned that Stellar Blades like SQL development is going along smoothly and it's they said it's on track to meet their targeted quality standards, hooray. And then they said this all about, Hey, we're going to publish it ourselves, and one of the reasons we're doing that is we just want to make sure that game is everywhere. Now, they did not say what everywhere entailed which platforms are really even a timeline, but I think we could safely assume they just want to have it out on PlayStation, PC and Xbox and at this point probably switched to at launch.
Speaker 3: This.
Speaker 1: You know, this is the sort of thing we have seen happen before Lexi, where a public developer succeeds and then they want to take over publishing because it gives them more control, and then they want to like have that those skills of publishing a game, because many of them want to then go publish other people's games. There's money still in the in then their hills, and they got to sort of start somewhere, and that would be starting with your own game.
Speaker 3: How do you how do you read all this? Yeah?
Speaker 2: This is definitely one of the more reviewed Sony published games on Steam, Like it has more reviews than Horizon Forbidden West, So as a bid of a demarcation line, it probably did pretty well on Steam. And if the ongoing thought is that Sony aren't going to bring first party stuff to seem anymore, they're probably like, well, we would so like to put things up on Steam because without having to make.
Speaker 1: Sense deal with you to like to make that like to have a carve out or whatever, because that's just a headache.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we have like a pretty active community there and things like that. Man Lego Horizon Adventure has three hundred and eighty two reviews on Steam.
Speaker 3: Oh really, that's rough.
Speaker 2: Who thought bringing that to seem and not the Demon Soul's remake was the move? Yeah, what a fascinating decision that was.
Speaker 3: I don't know who it was, but I think his name might rhyme with Truman choultste.
Speaker 2: You're right, and so yeah, the other part of the story that I don't think is in there is that they also said that they will be continuing to publish Shinji mccami's game, and that's like all going well and stuff like that. So yeah, like, ultimately, I'm happy that there's another active publisher in the scene, and they certainly seem a lot more stable than some of the China Ease publishers that were coming in around twenty twenty. Of we've seen what's happened with nets like Ganga Dragon might never release. I'm almost kind of surprised that Momeo was a dead man got out the door. Yeah, and you know if Celeblade for as much as it wasn't for me, Like the combat just seemed way too slow for how much it leaned into the stylish vibe and things like that, and it story just seemed pretty dull. I those people when they talk about the game, they at least talk about, Hey, we like making games, and we specifically went from making a mobile game too. We wanted to make something that released on a console because that felt important to us. Yeah, yeah, we like console games, so like I have more faith in them as a publisher than I do a lot of other publishing companies, which I whatever's fucking heart. So you know, they're at least saying the right thing. And we'll see how that game actually goes on taking it away from Sony, Like same thing kind of is you expect will happen with It's the evenless of what happened with Death Striddling, where I went in house for the PC publishing for Sony. And I'm curious if now could YOUBA Productions is looking at taking that and doing you know, if they were to do a death striming three would they still be like we want this on PC.
Speaker 3: I'm curious me too.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get through the rest of these stories here relatively quickly. PS five is drifting behind PS fourged a little bit more clean up. From the most recent Sony earnings report, PS five lifetime sales are at ninety three point seven million. That's really really good, but it's notable that only one point five million PS fives were sold in the last fiscal quarter, which ended March thirty. First, that puts the PS five slightly behind the PS four when you align the launches. Still, that was true coming out of the pandemic because the pandemic the supply strained almost that entire time, and the expectation was Alexi. I remember having this conversation, I think maybe on the show maybe with you, is that the PS five would then slowly kind of crawl back above the PS four as the supply began to meet demand. And so well, that's not quite happening, and I think we can chalk that up.
Speaker 2: Is no longer the problem.
Speaker 1: You know, increased prices are the problem, right, Yes, one problem replaced the other. And then you know, it's also worth pointing that these these sales figures one point five million PlayStation fives were before the price increase, Right, We're going to see a bump because of the price increase. Right when that happened, there was a little gap a couple of days, and people rushed out to get PS five's and especially PS five pros in that moment. So we're going to see a bump. But then as things normalize for the new price, it's like the expectation should be that the one point five million that sold last quarter when the price was lower, like the the you know, the the chart though, should just kind of like begin to level off a little bit more actually, and then yeah, if you take out the bumpet's gonna get, you're probably gonna see less than one point five million sold in the next quarter. That is gotta be worrisome until obviously Grand Theft Auto six comes along and.
Speaker 3: At that point they might not have enough PS fives.
Speaker 2: What do you think so that this really fucked with my brain? Don cheetle in shot. So we're in year six of the PS five. How much is the PS five again right now off the top of the.
Speaker 3: Dome seven dollars, it's just seven hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the PS four was on sale for two hundred dollars. By year six, the bundles that you could guess.
Speaker 3: One of those numbers is much bigger. Yeah, significally bigger.
Speaker 2: Man, that's wild.
Speaker 3: Yep, it's uh, it is. Yeah, it's a rough comparison.
Speaker 1: Every single person who buys games knows that's how it used to be. Like, everyone knows people pay attention to this sort of thing, and so when they see the price at this point and they've been waiting because a lot of people like to wait on the sideline come in much later, that's like this time around, they are just in absolute agony here, trying to sort of be like, oh man, I can't believe that I got screwed over the most by waiting. And so those people aren't going to begin talking themselves out of making these purchases now.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 1: The hope is, and it's probably correct, the grand Theft Auto six resets all that and the people who are waiting can't help themselves anymore, and that is probably gonna be the way it goes down. But it's like, man, if they didn't have that, it would be rough going in console land right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, anyway gamers to raid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the gamers are activating everybody. They're gonna raid EA headquarters raid quote unquote to protest the fifty five billion dollars sale to Saudi Arabia's Public.
Speaker 3: Investment Fund, or PIFF as it's known.
Speaker 1: The Players Alliance, which is sort of what it sounds like, is organizing this event, scheduled for May eleventh at one pm Eastern, and has provided further details on its purpose. Gamers are planning to show up to protest at EAS headquarters. This will basically they're going to go there and just make their voice heard. I think this is a little bit better than just some of our other options because this is the kind of thing that can get headlines, It can draw political attention. Politicians like to know that there is a political capital behind something before they throw their weight into it. And you know, as unfortunate as it is that we have to sort of rely on feckless politicians, this is the situation where it's like, yeah, get them to show up and put pressure on anyone that might be able to break up this deal. At least gum up the works a little bit, create some friction so that it costs these companies more to even get this deal across the finish line, so that they are a little bit more hesitant in the future even if we can't stop this one. Now, it does feel unlikely this is going to stop because what's that Jared Kushner still involved in the deal, and as the last I checked, he's still related to the president. So it just feels like there's almost no chance this doesn't happen. But it's worth showing that there is turmoil and angst about this sort of thing, and that it is manifesting not in social media posts, not in people saying I'm just going to vote with my wallet and walk away, because that's so easy for people to ignore at these companies because there's always someone with more money, like Saudia fucking Arabia, and so when people show up and make their voices heard, that still gets attention. So this might not do anything, but I think it's the right thing to do.
Speaker 3: How do you read it?
Speaker 2: I do really wonder if that fifty five billion dollars is looking a lot more valuable to the Saudi government now than it was when this deal was first announced, and especially with ongoing rumors of like, hey, maybe there's there's not as much left in the tanks as the Lennon you know, this this being a piff and this being like something ostensibly controlled by the Crown Prince, Like they do have a shipload of money, But I wonder if they look at EA and they go, maybe this isn't the moneyball deal that we thought it was at one point when you look at the corent stage EA and how current EA games tend to hish like I'm sure Madam I Fifer still do their ridiculous numbers, but the other stuff I'm curious.
Speaker 3: About same all right.
Speaker 1: New European alternative to an Unreal Slash Unity is being built by Gorilla Slash Epic veteran Arjen Bruce is a Gorilla co founder and former Unreal Engine product leader at EPIC, and he's building the Immense Engine, which he is pitching as a europe host An engine that is compliant with European.
Speaker 3: Rules and guidelines.
Speaker 1: Sounds like the air Bus of game engines, which I think is that for me is someone who likes airplanes and like, that's a fun thing to think about. And then you keep reading and he's like, and it's just gotta be full integration of AI like across the board.
Speaker 2: Also like no fucking idea what he means by it being like compliant with EU guidelines with those two other engines are fully operational and like the offices in fucking Europe both of those companies, Like what what the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: It just means that, like when you spend the money on it, it goes to someone in.
Speaker 3: Europe, which you know, people like that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, it's the kind of it is the kind of thing that like does happen in Boeing versus versus Airbus, where it's like air Bus as a European alternative. A lot of European airlines are like, we're much happier to do that. It doesn't hurt that their planes are just better as well, but you know, more competition in this space is welcome. I think that would be nice as well. At a certain point though, it's like I thought like cry Tech was the European unreal and it's like, okay, but no one really uses cry Tech in that way anymore. He just says the AI thing is like I people, like all other engines were made for people to click in chop Town, boxes with mouse, with mices with mice, and we want you to like just go and talk to the thing and tell it.
Speaker 3: What you want. So okay, all right, good luck with that.
Speaker 1: Star Wars zero Company gets AGE rating from agencies around the world, including the ESRB. This typically happens when a game is relatively close to release or especially like to get a release date. This game has neither. It has not been released, and it doesn't have a release date exactly yet other than the broad twenty twenty six release window. This makes it feel like we're going to see this at Summer Game Fest and it gets released not too long after that.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a game I'm quietly looking forward to. It looks that that team I really likes. Yeah, I really like Marvel Midnight Suns, and this gives me big Marvel Midnight Suns vibes. And yeah, I hope it comes together and I hope it is as interesting as it looks. I will check it out. If it's coming out soon. It could be a really good year for sa Wars video games.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, you're right, it really could be. You know.
Speaker 1: The early reports on this one have been very positive. So and as a reminder. It's yeah, it's the single player turn based tactics game from bit Reactor in collaboration with Respawn and EA, and it's coming to PC, PlayStation five, Xbox Series X and S. Maybe they'll announce the switch to version as well, and then finally tell me about you like, might be selling switch Two systems of players are on switch To and Nintendo confirmed it's sold three point eight million copies, So that's that's impressive stuff.
Speaker 2: That's interesting because does it even have like a nature of switch to? Does it do anything if you play it on a switch to like at all? Does it still output a ten adp? Uh?
Speaker 1: You know, it's I mean, I think it's just a typical It might put it might not put it ten adp, It might do that, but it's wild okay might like it's very very limited in terms of any sort of advantages because you have the switch to. It is not a switch to version for sure, and uh, like, you know, it doesn't even recognize that a mice might be involved or you know whatever, a mouse might be involved.
Speaker 2: That seems like a game that would be the easiest switch to conversion in the world. It's literally just let it run at four K when docked. That's all you gotta change.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll happen. Uh.
Speaker 1: It's the kind of thing where they will let this thing sort of run its course as a switch one game, and as they are getting ready for content updates, which this game surely has coming, they will also prepare a switch to version. Yes, I said a mice. My brain was still trying to get that word to work in sentences, and then I could kept breaking. All right, that does it for the headlines, everybody. Let's go ahead and start wrapping up the show. No poll question from last Friday, because that we did the Bomb twelve instead. That most recent Bob twelve is up on giant bomb dot com right now.
Speaker 3: If you scroll down a little.
Speaker 1: Bit, you could see the games that people were really playing last week, and then on the left hand side there there's the vote here button. Click that it will take you to the Google form where you could submit your game for consideration for the Bomb twelve. We will wrap up this week with another one of those, but that means we do have a new poll question for Wednesday's show. We'll get to that here in a second before we do, LEXI, why don't you tell people where they can find you on the internet, what you have going on and all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can find me on blue Sky at lexload dot xyz. You can check out my review of Directive eighty twenty on Game of Guys. You can also check out my review of Seros. I'll be reviewing another game that's coming up soon. And yeah, go check out stop Menu. It's a website for people trying to bug into games media and the games industry. Do good stuff there. You can support us on Patreon, patreon dot com, slash stomp and you.
Speaker 1: That is something I wanted to mention real quick everybody, if you are already supporting us too, as much as you want to go support someone else as well, and if you you know, if you have to make a decision, don't feel like you have to support us. If you have been supporting us and you only have one that you could support, I get it. Take turns, spread the love around. Let's make sure that I was for the money more than glub. We all know this, That's what I'm trying to say here. So yeah, let's get out there and just make sure we're supporting people that we like. And thank you everyone who does support us. But yeah, let's let's spread the love out there to everyone working in this space. It's more vibrant and better when there's more people, and right now it feels like that's only possible if we're all putting our money where our mouth is. So my I don't know twenty or so patreons that I support.
Speaker 3: I'll grow that a few more. Let's let's keep it going.
Speaker 1: Uh okay, let's see here new poll question? Which of the nope, that's the old pole question. Let's go, hey, Lexie, let's come up with a new pole question. Should do with something about Forts Horizon direct of eighty twenty.
Speaker 3: Let's do this.
Speaker 1: Are you going to get forts Horizon six at the ultimate.
Speaker 3: Price so like to get it early?
Speaker 1: Are you going to do the early unlock for Forts Horizon six at and then we'll come up with we'll find out whatever.
Speaker 3: That price is, yes or no.
Speaker 1: I'm curious to see how much of this audience like does that sort of thing, like spends the extra money to play early. I bet it's not nobody, but I bet it's not as many as as we would expect. Turns out it doesn't need to be a lot to justify to these companies. All right, we'll get that pull question and get the results on Wednesday's episode of Game Mess Mornings here on Giant Bombs. Speaking of Giant Bomb, there's a bunch of stuff happening most recently though store dot Giant bomb dot com. Everybody, if you go there, there are new items up on the store as part of our anniversary.
Speaker 3: It looks really cool. It's like a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: We had some great work done to get a couple of new logos, some new there's a new racing shirt that's got like a bunch of different Giant Bomb logo designs on there, as if we were a racing team. It's good stuff. Go ahead and make some purchases. That helps support the website. It also just makes you look fucking fly. So make that happen. And then, of course, like I said, Mike's gonna begin playing Donkey Kong sixty four today.
Speaker 3: It is part of a marathon.
Speaker 1: He's gonna get to one hundred and one percent as long as we get the support that we need. Really looking forward to seeing that all happen. I'll be hanging out with him for for chunks of it for sure.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah.
Speaker 1: Tune in for that, and then we'll have regularly scheduled stuff happening sort of alongside that. I'm pretty sure the plan is for him to play during the BombCast. We'll all be having a regular BombCast and he will still have to play Donkey Kong sixty four.
Speaker 3: So see what that's all like.
Speaker 2: It's a real root endurance. It is.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: With all that out of the way, Lexi, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talking about video games.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate it anytime.
Speaker 2: Happy anniversary to you all.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for watching and listening. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.