Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: I'm Ray Lee and this is the Gillingham Podcast for anyone living in the Gillingham and Spa area. I'm talking to Martin Sharp, who's the festival coordinator of the Giving A Walking Festival. Tell us a bit about the festival.
Speaker 1: Martin.
Speaker 3: The Gillingham Walking Festival, which has been running for over twenty years now runs this year from the twenty ninth of August through to the fifth of September, and it's a series of walks every day and it provides an opportunity for people from Gillingham and the wider area and in need further afield to enjoy a relaxed and comfortable walk of varying distances throughout the week.
Speaker 1: So how many members do you have in total? Roughly?
Speaker 3: Well, it's not a membership organization as such. We are connected with Walkers are Welcome. It's under the umbrella of Walkers are Welcome, which people just attend. We have no subscription, there's no fees and we have a small committee of five or six people that organize the Walking Festival. But it's not a membership organization so it's open to all. What sort of level of fitness is required do you think for these sort of walks, we have for each day two walks. In general terms. The walk that starts in the morning is of a longer length, up to ten miles.
Speaker 1: Ten miles is the outside and.
Speaker 3: Those will normally involve crossing fields, climbing over stiles, and a little bit more mobility needed for those walks, but nothing that a person of average fitness could manage. It's not rushed, it's not a high pace event, so relatively straightforward, but obviously that requires decent nobility. And then most afternoons we have a shorter walk, which is three up to three miles or so, sometimes a little bit shorter, only a mile or so, and that's pretty much in the getting immediate environs. And they tend to be level walks at a very easy pace, so people that would find those longer walks of struggle. I think most people would find it's like a walk to the shops in terms of the level of fitness required. But it's in company with people and you can and I think one of the great things about going walking in a group is it's a very non threatening, very easy environment. Because you're standing side by side with somebody, you're in nature you're in the environment, you just go at your pace. If you don't want to talk or engage with anybody, you want to walk in isolation. That's perfectly okay and people pretty soon get their message. But most people enjoy a very friendly, relaxed conversation as they're walking along, talking about anything they see.
Speaker 1: Also, I would imagine it's pretty good for mental health.
Speaker 3: Well, it is because it's the opportunity to get out in the fresh air, enjoy our beautiful countryside that we have surrounding this here in Gillingham, and yes, to spend some time with other people who are generally speaking in a very mellow, relaxed mood as they're walking along.
Speaker 1: So it's a very easy thing to do. And I'm not just looking at your pamphlet for this year's festival. The walk's all graded.
Speaker 3: Yes, we have a grading system for the walks on the difficulty that tends to reflect combination of both length of walk and the obstacles that we might encounter. So we have a boot system. One, two or three boots is how we grade them. The one boot being the mostly level walks it's a very relaxed pace over a short distance, and then three being the longer walks that iniably will almost always involve styles uneven terrain, often some hills, and the two is in between the two in between those two.
Speaker 2: So if people want to join in this this year, could they bring their dogs along?
Speaker 3: There are we've identified in the program. People need to find the program to see which walks they wish to join, and it states in there whether dogs are welcome. It's to be honest, it's a minority of walks where dogs are welcome because obviously having a dog can be a bit of an encumbrance for some, and there are there are other walkers who don't like the presence of dogs. So so we've we've got I think three or maybe four of the walks dogs are welcome.
Speaker 2: Imagine at the moment, with the heat as it is, it's not advisable to bring a.
Speaker 3: Dog out, well, it wouldn't be with it now. I think most dog owners would know, we would know not to take their dogs out in the in the thirties. Of course, we're talking about early the end of August, early September, and the weather. Over the years we've been doing it's highly changeable. We've had one three years ago, I think it was now where we got temperatures well into the thirties. That was an exceptional September, so weather much as we've been having of late, and that's that's challenging.
Speaker 1: Two years ago.
Speaker 3: It was absolutely pouring with rain almost every day. So you still go out in the rain. We have done. Obviously those people can not come along, and that was the case. We had lower attendance, but the walk leaders were still let's say, happy to go. That might be overstating it. Contempt to go along, fulfill their commitment to those people who wanted to Like children, can they come along? Yes, children are welcome. We tend not to get.
Speaker 1: That many children.
Speaker 3: The week we've got is the start of school typically, but weekends children are welcome to come along. And those perhaps their school starts a little later, it deny for them to join us, and of course good for their well being and health too.
Speaker 1: What about vulnerable adults people would.
Speaker 3: Left, Yes, and we have had a number of vulnerable adults, whether it's obviously where those that have a care or benefit from having a care, then the care is more than welcome to come along, and it would be super for vulnerable adults to join us. For all the good reasons that you've already discussed about being in outdoors talking in a very relaxed way to other people.
Speaker 1: It's not challenging.
Speaker 3: Nobody's sort of accountable for how they present themselves. What I'm struck by on these walks that we do is what a friendly environment it is.
Speaker 1: And most people share that absolutely. That's nice.
Speaker 2: So if people are interested in joining or coming along on any of the walks, where can they get this lovely pamphlet from and information about it?
Speaker 3: Outlets across gettingham So, coffee shops, the library, the railway station, all the places that you might expect to pick up local information. Where we distributed our leaflet I think we had over a thousand of them produced. I noticed yesterday that the library had run out, so we've restarted, re stopped the library. That's encouraging, and that sets out the program and which walks require booking, which again is a minority. We do ask, but that's because there's a limit on numbers. So the walk leaders on those particular walks are concerned that if I had a group but size of say larger than twenty, it might become difficult to manage road crossings and things like that.
Speaker 2: So if people got any specific questions, how can they contact There's a telephone number.
Speaker 3: There are two telephone numbers in the leaflet and they're welcome to call. They can call me, or they can call our Penny, who takes the bookings, who runs the walk coordinates to the walkers are welcome page, so the phone numbers are in there. Please feel free to call me or Penny any.
Speaker 1: Reasonable time the day before evening.
Speaker 2: That's great, and I almost assuming that you're you look for looking for volunteers time to help walk leaders.
Speaker 3: We would love to have a few more walk leaders come along. If some of us have been doing it for quite a number of years now and we're relying on the star Wars. But some of the walk leaders have been doing this for twenty years and they started when they retired, so as you can imagine a few of them are getting on a bit and might be ready to hand over the pattern two younger volunteers who have just entered the retirement or just thinking about retiring and thinking, yes, this is the kind of thing I could do. It's not very onerous. We will try to we can try to arrange, will arrange training just on some of the things to be aware of risk assessments about taking care of people, that sort of thing. It's not anous training thing. Much of it is what we would call good old fashion common sense, but it's useful to go through a few points any and so if people are interested in becoming a leader or getting involved, can they phone you or Penny and Peny and me other contacts that they can use and we'll be very happy to to add them to the number of things. Probably the best way of going about that would be to join our Saturday walks, which happened throughout the year the first Saturday of each month. We vary it sometimes in December, the last Saturday in November occasionally, so the first Saturday of each month we gather for a two hour walk. Starts in the mornings during the winter time and in the afternoon in the summer, and that's a great experience to see what it walks are all about.
Speaker 1: And usually we have.
Speaker 3: Fifteen to twenty, sometimes up to thirty people going on those walks and they're in the Gillingham local area. Another interesting aspect of that and the Walking Festival is how many local people suddenly goffer parts of their local air I've.
Speaker 4: Never seen, they're not previously seen, so it's an interesting thing to do and it introduces people to new walks that they might not otherwise have discovered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great. Thanks having so much for your time and good luck on.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much for it's been a pleasure to speak to you and thanks for the opportunity to talk more about the Gillingham Walking Festival.
Speaker 2: For more information on the Gillingham Walking Festival, telephone O double seven three one four six eight four two eight. Alternatively, you can contact Penny Pete on one seven four seven eight two three double seven four. There is also a website www dot gil Walkers are Welcome dot chess c K. That's c H. E. Doubles ck dot co dot UK forward slash Gillingham Walkers. If you're a member of a group or organization would like to be featured on a future Gillingham podcast, you can email me on Gillingham Podcast at gmail dot com. Thanks for listening.