Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and Injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell and don.
Speaker 3: Koa FM god they three by Donald Keith is sad thing.
Speaker 4: Well of you guys. I sing along to it too.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 4: I still love it every day, and I love it when I get females.
Speaker 5: From people saying, dang it.
Speaker 4: I hated that theme song when it started, and now I sing along with it every day. Yeah, that's the whole gird. Yeah, that's ay Ron, everybody, he's here. I'm Mandy Connell. We're gonna get.
Speaker 6: There.
Speaker 4: You go, real airhorn for a Wednesday. That's exciting. And then first there's the wine Yogi. I know who most of these people are. Now that's me. Who is that is that day? Yes, okay, that is Susan Winkin. These aren't listeners that came to our vent. And that is someone's adorable little child that recorded the airhorn and sent it to us.
Speaker 5: And it is my favorite, No, my favorite.
Speaker 4: That's the sad and Dying airhorn.
Speaker 5: That's what sad nor dying.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, Wednesday, this is going to be a big day. I have completed my call list of people that I know on the western coast of Florida. I have ensured that they have all evacuated. So I am feeling pretty good about things today because Hurricane Milton.
Speaker 5: You hat no honkerers in this No, these are not stupid people. Exactly.
Speaker 4: Several of them are in Our former co worker, Hassena. You're Seena is in Sarasota, and I started on.
Speaker 5: Her like three days ago, like you got to get out, you got to get out.
Speaker 4: And what's funny is I have a lot of friends on the east coast of Florida. They are more concerned, earned and more prepared than the people on the west coast. It's kind of crazy, but I talked to my last friend that I was worried about today. She lives in an old cracker house, like an old wood frame house, and I was like, you cannot stay there, even though that house has lived through so many storms because it's one hundred years old. So just talk to her. She's out of it. We're all good now. The saddest part about Hurricane Milton. And we have weather Wednesday coming up today and I'm sure we're going to talk about this a little bit with Dave Frasier is that the people that are left behind are the people that cannot afford to leave. And that is the sad truth about all of this.
Speaker 5: And I do have.
Speaker 4: Friends that have, you know, gotten these water barriers that are there.
Speaker 5: They're kind of cool.
Speaker 4: I'm interested to see.
Speaker 5: How they work.
Speaker 4: Tampa General the big hospital in Tampa, it's it's their U See Health. Tampa General is the big hospital there. They used these in Hurricane Helene and kept the floodwaters back. Now they use much bigger ones because they're right near the bay. But now this is these are now being sold like hotcakes and people are you basically wrap your whole house with like a little wall to keep the water out. I'm interested to see how well it works. But this is going to be a horrible storm. And as I keep telling because a lot of my friends who live on the West coast of Florida all transplants. They just moved there, and I keep telling them like, yeah, you may make it through the storm, but you don't want.
Speaker 5: To be there through the aftermath.
Speaker 4: One of my friends in Fort Myers is she evacuated because she stayed in her house through Ian and swore to God, she would never do that again. And she has her ring doorbell camera on so she can find out when the power goes out. Her power in Fort Myers has already gone out three times today and the storm hasn't even hit yet. So it's a nasty, nasty hurricane. It is going to be extremely destructive. And if you know anybody on the west coast of Florida, pray for them. Hope they already got out, but we will find out what is uh who's going to get hit. The thing I'm worried about is everybody's talking about Tampa and Sarasota. But hurricanes are notoriously finicky and they can turn it any as a matter of fact. And I'm gonna do the blog in just a second, so just hang tight for a second. Chuck and I were watching the Weather Channel yesterday, and we were watching the Weather Channel because we have so many people that are going to be in this storm in all up and down the coast of Florida.
Speaker 5: Inside Florida.
Speaker 4: It's supposed to be a category two when it hits Orlando, which is huge. And Ron de Santis was on the Weather Channel, Governor Ronda Santis and all I kept thinking the whole time he's talking, why isn't this guy the candidate? Why why was I not allowed to vote for Ronda Santis by the time it got to Colorado, Why isn't this.
Speaker 5: Guy the candidate?
Speaker 4: Because he's talking, I mean, you should hear his command of what's happening in Florida Right now, they have masked more line workers because what happens before a storm. This is so interesting to me. Maybe it's I mean, if it's not interesting to you guys, sorry, but I find this fascinating. They figure out where they can mass all of the line trucks from the electric companies. They bring in electric companies from all over the country and they stage them in an area that is not supposed to be hit by the hurricane. So as soon as it is safe, they are deploying all of these trucks to go to the hurricane areas well. Ron Desanta's is already called up the National Guard. So not only do they have all the line trucks stage you're ready to go, they have National Guard ready to go, ready to roll into these areas. Because one of the big frustrations for the people that go through these storms is that after the storm. A lot of the time they are not allowed to go back to their homes because there are power lines all over the road. Some of them are active, some of them are not. There's trees and debris and it's just an absolute mess. And people get really mad. And I understand it. You want to see if your house is still there, right, you want to see the damage that was done to your property. But it creates this huge, just just group where they don't want to ever leave their homes again. So they they've already staged the National Guard up in the not totally in the panandle, but really kind of up in the in the curvy part of the of this I call it the armpit of the state. It was just really hit by Helen. So they've just got the power back on and Helene and now they're all stage.
Speaker 5: You're ready to go.
Speaker 4: So they're going to roll in the National Guard to clear the roads, to make sure the power lines are out of the way and dead, and so people can go back to their houses past or if their houses are still there. There are a couple of barrier islands long Boat Key, which is one of my favorite places in Florida. If this storm is a Category four or higher. I don't see how long Boat Key survives. It's just this is a really, really really scary storm. And like I said yesterday, if you were the prayerful sort, today's a great day to pray.
Speaker 5: Pray for the people of Florida.
Speaker 4: By the way, were you here yesterday when we were talking about the guy on.
Speaker 5: His boat that was going to ride it out.
Speaker 7: Yes, he's not. He's not. No, Apparently, as Lieutenant Dan.
Speaker 4: Showed up and said, don't be an idiot, because now in Florida, here's what they do. They go on TV and say, hey, if you're gonna stay, if you're going to write it out, do as a solid write your name and your next of ken on your leg in black magic marker, permanent marker, so we can identify your next of ken when we find your body. So they're on the full on scare tactics because people are in this it's just going to be really, really, really bad. And we're still recovering in North Carolina. I mean they they're still finding dead people in North Carolina from Helene.
Speaker 5: This is just a giant mess.
Speaker 4: And I've never and I just told my friend lindsay this on the phone, I said, Lindsay, I've never been more grateful that I don't live in my home state than right now, because you know what today is. Today is all day waiting, just waiting and waiting and watching the weather channel and listening to the radio and try it and just waiting.
Speaker 5: And it is agony. It's terrible. It's horrible, absolutely horrible. Is it still hitting tonight or is it going more into the morning late.
Speaker 4: I don't know right now, but they're already having hurricane force winds across southwest Florida. In the leading edge of the story, oh, there's apparently there was a giant super cell tornado in Cluiston, which is in the bottom center of the state. Luckily no one lives in Cluiston. It's kind of a it's not a nice place. Cluiston is kind of a I'm trying to think of how to say the word craphole on the radio without you know what I'm sayings, Cluiston is not nice. It's not nice at all. That being said, yeah, it's spawning all kinds of tornadoes. It's just got a lot of weather happening. So say a prayer for your friends in Florida. Hopefully this will not be as bad as they think it's going to be and it will lessen or whatever.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: We'll talk to our chief meteorologist from Fox thirty one day, Fraser about it. Obviously he's not predicting the weather for Florida, but I'm guessing every meteorologist is watching this storm because it has done something that no other hurricane on unmeasurable record.
Speaker 5: We have to be clear about that.
Speaker 4: It dropped below nine hundred millibars, which is not ever been measured before. It's not to say a hurricane has never dropped that low and been that powerful, but in the modern era of measurements, that is the first time that's ever happened. So obviously it's on my mind today, and I'm sorry if you guys don't care, but it's a really big deal and people I love and care about are in the way of this storm. So you're just gonna have to indulge me for just a few minutes. So I appreciate that. Mandy. I'm in complete agreement with you. If only we could have had DeSantis as our nominee, this election would be a walk in the park for him.
Speaker 5: Yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 4: Mandy Desanta's press conference was on Fox this morning. He was simply amazing what they have put in place, collaborative work with clean up crews, hotels, uber, et cetera.
Speaker 5: If anyone wants.
Speaker 4: To watch what true leadership looks like, I highly recommend watching it. Oh that's the other part about this. There are huge, huge piles of debris on the side of the road from Helene that have not been picked up, and so Desanta rallied state assets. It is not the state's responsibility to clean up hurricane debris. It is the city that you live in. They contract with companies to do this, and the state said, you're not getting done. We're going to come in and pick up as much as we can because that stuff just becomes a missile after in a storm like that. So it's just what an absolute mess this entire thing is. So uh oh, here's one DeSantis isn't the candidate because he has beta body language that he desperately needs to work on. If you're not voting for someone with a track record like Ronda Santis because you think he has beta body language, please don't vote. I mean, just don't. Just save your vote because you're making decisions based on dumb stuff. Anyway, let me do the blog. You can find it at mandy'sblog dot com. That's mandy'sblog dot com. Look at the latest posts and look for the headline that says ten nine twenty four blog my mouth Broke Today and other first world problems. Click on that and here are the headlines you will find within.
Speaker 6: I think it was missing office half of American all with ships and clipments at Save that ConA press plant.
Speaker 4: Today on the blog, I'm guessing we'll chat about Hurricane Milton. Why does Hollywait hate white people? We are paying for anti oil and gas lobbying. My voter guide is out. What the hell is happening at CBS? Can political consultants stop telling candidates to not answer questions? The latest suit against Masterpiece Cakes has been dismissed. AURORAPD is preparing for Trump's visit. Doug co is in stage two fire restrictions. Another pedestrian death. Denver is the least safe sent in Colorado? What are the hottest restaurants in Denver? A cool new concept in farming. Fluoride in water makes kids dumber. The Weather Channel created an insane storm surge graphic. Even Portland tires of progressive politics. An Afghan man is busted for plotting an ISIS attack on election day. Kamalas still can't think of anything she do different. Your brain needs exercise to work properly. Professional tag is crazy about FEMA funding illegal immigrants. Squirreling ever wondered about green dot helmets fishermen? We need this Irish Kamala enters the chat how cornflakes came to be looking for some exercises to get started. Those are the headlines on the blog at Mandy's blog dot com.
Speaker 5: And you got to check out some of the videos.
Speaker 4: I want one of these slingshot reels I want, Okay, so okay, if you fish, and I'm not talking about fly fishing, because that's a whole different set of circumstances here. I'm talking about if you if you use a regular big cast or a reel. There's a video on the blog today. Have a guy and he's got it. First, it's you can't tell what he's doing. First, you know that he's pulling back something on a slingshot, right, you can tell that he's pulling back something on a slingshot, he lets it fly, and then you realize he has a fishing reel attached to the other wrist and he is using the slingshot to to cast from the shore. But cast it. I mean, how far do you think that thing went? A rod? It went like one hundred and fifty yards at least at least at least and I was like, dude, I want that now. It's all the video is in the context of another guy who I really enjoy his work, sort of commenting on it. But how even if you don't fish, you're gonna want.
Speaker 5: This the follow up?
Speaker 7: Does he have something automatically to really quickly reel it back game?
Speaker 5: Otherwise you are no.
Speaker 4: I mean, fishing is reeling. I mean that's your reeling. And you how far that went?
Speaker 6: How long is it.
Speaker 5: Going to be kept on?
Speaker 4: When you're trolling, when you're when you're out on the ocean and you're trolling and you're fishing. Some of those trolling lines are out two hundred yards. Some of them are close to the boat.
Speaker 5: But there's trolling.
Speaker 4: Lines, and you have to reel and reel and real and real that you got to set the hook.
Speaker 5: Do you fish at all?
Speaker 4: Have you ever like, of course, okay, so you got to set the hook.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but even then hook set, that's a long time.
Speaker 5: Long time that thing stays on. Doesn't pull off the hook.
Speaker 4: Or the hook, right, you'll be now breaking the line. Other thing seem to have a leader on it. There was no leader on the thing that I saw.
Speaker 5: Do I fish.
Speaker 4: I just spent a long time.
Speaker 5: It's been a long time. We still have the kid now never hunt fish. I'm looking he's got I'm looking. Oh, come on, I'm looking to see if there's a leader on this thing. I can't tell. It goes too fast, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's just got the reel on his wrist. And I think it's like a Zepco reel or something. I mean, it's not a fancy reel. No, just like we're trying to give little kids.
Speaker 7: When you can't realize what's happening, you're like, oh, that's cool. It's very very because he's just being a menace. No, he's doing something really cool.
Speaker 5: Damn.
Speaker 4: All right, So let's talk about some stuff. We've got Dave Frasier coming on at twelve thirty to talk about weather. So if you have any weather questions, then you need to get them ready. Obviously, we're going to talk about this storm a little bit, but we're also going to talk about our weather, which I must say, I know it's above normal, but I am enjoying the heck out of this weather. It's too hot for you. You want sweater weather, where's my fall?
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm forcing it. I'm wearing sweaters. I'm done with it. I'm just forcing it.
Speaker 7: Like if I walk out of here and it's eighty eighty five, I'll take off the sweater by yah, absolutely need to. But uh, it's sweater weather for me now, So I don't care. Yeah, what the hell?
Speaker 4: Yeah it's it's a little but I am actually enjoying it.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 7: I will ask if it wants to remain this hot, can it at least hold on then for two more weeks so I have a pretty warm like Halloween Halloween season.
Speaker 4: I don't think there's much a near term that is going to bring us any kind of.
Speaker 7: We'll have to ask Dave again every time I ask him on the phone before, and you go, how we get closer? So I'm like, hey, almost there, can we forecast a little here?
Speaker 4: We'll find out at twelve thirty. We also have Christian Toto coming on the show today. You remember after Hurricane Katrina, Hollywood got together and they did a big, you know, fundraiser to raise funds for those people impacted by Hurricane Katrina. It was a con served for hurricane relief. And you may remember at that point Kanye West, the anti Semitic racist. Oh by the way, uh, And I know you've been worried. It appears that Kanye's marriage to his wife, who walks around naked all the time.
Speaker 5: Is over.
Speaker 4: I know, I know you're devastated. The other one, he and Bianca, have have apparently broken up. They've gone their separate, separate ways. And I thought it was forever Anthony.
Speaker 7: Will he fall off a cliff and then make good music again?
Speaker 5: Maybe I could do it.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna shake the magic eight ball. My sources say no. Yeah. Well, I do think that Kanye West is a genius, but I also think.
Speaker 5: He is severely mentally ill.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think he has pretty severe bipolar disease, and I think that he needs medication. And he is extremely gifted as well. And unfortunately, in our in our history, madness and talent are off hand in Glove, so that is not all that surprising. But Kanye West, that was when he said George Bush didn't care about black people when they were doing the telethon for Katrina or whatever they were doing. So we're going to talk to Christian Toto about what's happening for Hurricane Helene and obviously Hurricane Milton. There's going to be needs after that, so it's going to be well, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for Hollywood to do something.
Speaker 5: Let me just say that.
Speaker 4: And then at two point thirty, my friend and yours, John Caldera, joins us from the Independence Institute. He wrote a great column that made me mad, really really really mad, because as a pro oil and gas person, and I am pro efficient, reliable energy, to be clear, and there are a lot of forces in the state of Colorado working to shut down our oil and gas industry, and they've had really good success on many many issues. But when you find out what I found out, that my tax dollars are funding these garbage organizations that want to thrust us back to the Middle Ages where I guess we're supposed to burn donkey dung to stay warm.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: But taxpayer dollars are flowing into their coffers. Oh my goodness. Elections have consequences, you guys.
Speaker 5: And this is the stuff.
Speaker 4: That if we had a functioning Republican party, they would be making hey about it. But we don't. We don't have a functioning Republican party. We have Dave Williams. So they're not doing anything productive, just nothing. Mandy hate the late summer weather water bill is averaging three hundred bucks a month for a third of an acre with southern exposure. I would ask you this, Texter, why not just turn the sprinklers off?
Speaker 7: I keep forgetting to turn off the Am I still watering twice a day every day?
Speaker 5: Yeah? No, you're not watering twice a day every day. I am like, you know what I am. Why are you watering twice a day? Stop?
Speaker 4: You can go back to once every couple of days.
Speaker 7: No, I keep forgetting, and I know Dave's about to yell at me. I keep forgetting to turn off the second one. Okay, mushrooms are growing.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 5: If your mushrooms are growing, you're way over I know, I am.
Speaker 4: Do you want me to remind you to turn your sprinklers off? To a more normal schedule.
Speaker 7: They're currently off today, so I can mow today, and then I try to remember when I look at the thing turn back on to turn off the second.
Speaker 5: Watery, when are you gonna blow them out?
Speaker 7: I uh, probably like two weeks.
Speaker 4: I'm scheduled for like next week. I scheduled the middle of October every year. And you know what if my grass dies, I I don't care. I mean, it's not gonna die die, it's just gonna go dorm it.
Speaker 7: Oh the grass with that new mower, Thank you, Dwelt looks as gray as ever has.
Speaker 5: I want to hold on as long as I can. Yeah, you're just living.
Speaker 4: Oh god, Yeah, yeah, really was the secret. Yeah, Okay, let's take a break. We're gonna come back. We're gonna talk to Dave Fraser. Kick off the show, get it moving right after this stick around Dave Fraser, Fox thirty one Meteorology. How are you today, sir.
Speaker 5: I'm doing good.
Speaker 8: I'm doing good. I've been listening. I'm glad to hear that you reached out to your friends and family or whoever and got them to consider going and they all have.
Speaker 4: Everybody on the West Coast has relocated and everybody on the East coast is ready. So everybody is as good as they can be in Florida right now. And so I want to ask you this is so I'm gonna ask you an absurd question, Okay, And even as I ask it to you, I know as it's coming out of my mouth that it's an absurd question. But going around the internet right now, Dave Frasier, there is all of this stuff about how the government is controlling the weather. Specifically, they made Helene go up the southeast United States right over the lithium mines. And that's I mean, the let's talk about government controlling weather, shall we, Dave? Where are we in that process?
Speaker 8: We're on the test pool of social media with that. Let's be honest. I mean, listen, there's conspiracy theorists for everything. But if you're saying that any there's any way that we can control something besize of a Heleen or a Milton and share it or drive it or direct it in one direction or another, Uh, there's not a chance. There's just no there's no way. There's no way. So I'll just lead that to the conspiratorists and those on social media to spread whatever they want through.
Speaker 4: It's so dave. It's just it shows that this isn't really about weather, but it shows that people are so distrustful of the government that they would rather believe that not only think about it like this. And this is what I said back to someone on social media not too long ago, who's actually a friend of mine, who posted this on Facebook, and I was like, stop doing this, just stop doing this. This makes you look stupid because you have to believe that not only does a government send a hurricane to kill hundreds of people in Helene, you also have to leave that they let farmers in the Midwest go through horrific droughts that destroy their crops, that allow hailstorms to happen that destroy those crops. So you have to believe that the government is so bad that they would let people starve and go out of business and then destroy their homes and livelihood and interstate highways. For what I mean, it's just so dumb. It's so dumb.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: I want to ask a follow up question though, because there have been efforts to try and control the weather, the Heart program in Alaska. I mean, these are documented scientific experiments trying to control the weather, but to my knowledge, they've not been successful in any way, shape or for right.
Speaker 8: Even cloud seating. While it does, while it is a thing, and it does they do do it here in parts of Colorado, the success rate is very, very low. So, yeah, there's just not much you're going to do. I mean, just think about where we are, the size of the planet, the minuscule impact that we could have in controlling the weather across the you know, across the planet, the strength of the sun, the power of the oceans.
Speaker 2: There's just no.
Speaker 8: Way that I could wrap my brain around that contributions, you know, cloud seating and stuff like that. Sure's it's one of the things that frustrates me the most about social media, and I tend to turn a deaf ear, if you will. I tend to do less and less on social media because of that. Yeah, it's just a lot of it's a lot of noise. And again we're off topic with weather, but it's a lot of noise. And I tell my two sons all the time, you know two things, Stay away from Stay away from politics and religion unless you're comfortable discussing them with the people in front of you. Otherwise it just turns into a fight or an argument. And it's another reason why I don't put down the rabbit hole of global warming. You know, do I believe there has been? You know, are we in a certain climate change right now?
Speaker 6: Certainly?
Speaker 8: I mean, look at just what's happened with Aline, look at what's happening with Milton. You can't argue with but you will get into an argument. There's just no right or wrong. The minute you go in one direction on either side of that conversation, somebody is coming at you from the other side. So the best thing for me to do is just quietly sit in the background and let people fight amongst themselves.
Speaker 4: That's a great strategy. Now let's talk about our weather, which has been unseasonably warm. And I just said to a Rod, I'm actually enjoying this. I could lie to you. I just think it's so pleasant outside. I know it's a little too warm for people, but it's beautiful outside, even with the smoke. And when is this going to end? And are we going to have a warm Halloween or is that going to be our first big snow?
Speaker 8: So I agree with you in your assessment of it being you know, this type of warmth is not summer heat. Yeah, it's just got that warm kind of wrap around you kind of feel during the day. But as soon as we get to those earlier sunsets, the temperatures drop au dramatically and you've got your cool, crisp nights. And that's the that's the balance and the great part of September and October. We can have these warm days, but it's not the summer heat we are seeing, and it's not uncommon. We're getting later into the month of October. The sun's angle is getting lower, the days are getting shorter. So as I'm sitting here doing the forecast right now, one of the things we're seeing is two cold fronts coming our way. The first one comes on Friday, gets us out of the eighties and down into about the mid seventies. Nice refreshing, little change. Right now, Denver's average is about sixty eight degrees. There's a second cold front coming, so we'll one back up on Saturday into the low eighties. The second one comes in Sunday. That one looks to have cool enough air behind it that it will sit and stay. So our forecast is actually going to be a mix of upper sixties. More seasonal readings starting early next week and some low seventies. But right now, once we get beyond Saturday's eighty degree temperature, I don't see eighties coming back at this point, within at least the next ten days. However, we do look to stay dry, that part of the equation is not going to change.
Speaker 4: So the we're not even I mean I don't even have to bring my plants in from outside yet. We're not even looking at that, like we're not even sniffing our first freeze yet.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 8: And I heard you in a Rod talking about the sprinkler system. I know you've got yours playing a lot of people like you have them scheduled out ahead of time, and it's gonna they're gonna come and shut them off whenever. And if you're okay with your long going dormit, it is that time of the year anyway. Your grass is probably looking green. Like a Rod talked about, I did, chastising him about spending too much money and throwing must Yeah, yeah, just throwing money away. Listen, your grass looks green, and it's great. It's because of the cool Chris Knight, but it's not growing like it does in the summer, so you should be reducing your water dramatically. You should not be watering as much. Save the money, put it in your pocket. Don't worry about blowing your sprinklers out to your yet if you don't want to, because your trees and your shrubs could use a drink. But keep an eye on the forecast to that first shot at fleezing temperatures, and that's when you're going to want to start. And I will tell you that's not for the next ten days, so you can leave them on if you've got them scheduled, like many have blown out, blown out and call it a season, all right.
Speaker 4: So let me ask you this question from a texter. I gotta find it because a lot of texts have come in now. It says, please ask Dave. Is this a warm pattern going so late, the new normal going forward, or just a random off year.
Speaker 5: I mean, we kind of talked about.
Speaker 4: I'm with you. It's apparent to me the earth is warming right. The underpinnings will leave to others to discuss right now, but is this going to be our new normal? Are we going to have warm falls? Or is it too soon to tell?
Speaker 6: You?
Speaker 8: Know what we have seen? I think what we need is a larger database to look at it to see if we can determine whether it is a new due to climate change, and whether it's new or not. I think we would need probably maybe ten years worth of records. We had seen some warm Septembers and Octobers of late. We've also noticed in the last couple of years, and you may have noticed this as well, that March and April we always tut as our snowiest months. But I think in the last six years, feb you're worry, yeah, has outdone March as the snowiest months. So could that signal the change in kind the maybe a flight shift in the seasons where fall hangs or summer goes a little later and winter starts a little later and it ramps up and then spring comes. I think we need a bigger database to be able to really be able to say with any kind of concrete evidence that yeah, we might be seeing as shift. But remember that the climate is cyclical. We know that over the duration and while we've had records, for instance here in Denver going back to eighteen seventy two I heard you talking earlier, there are things that we can't compare before we had records For instance, you mentioned the mill of bars for low pressure as it relates to hurricanes. We didn't even start keeping those records from nineteen seventy nine, so our database is not very deep when it comes to the history of weather and climate on this planet.
Speaker 4: All right, So that is I have nothing to add because I think you're right. So we'll just leave it at that. What is our immediate forecast before we let you go?
Speaker 8: Eighties today? A little smoke in the air, not in Denver. We've got beautiful air from Denver to the south, and you should get into the northeast corner. Some of that smoke should lift out. We're sunny and dry again. I think we're about eighty four tomorrow. I think we're seventy four on Friday. I think we're eighty one, eighty two on Saturday. And then I've got probably around seventy Sunday, upper sixties, Monday, seventy one, seventy two, just about every day next week. And your overnight lows here's the key, may get down a couple of mornings into the upper thirties, not cold enough to be worried about sprinklers, but maybe a little cross on the pumpkin in a few places all weather weather a rod.
Speaker 4: Little frost on the pumpkin almost sounds dirty. Dave Fraser, I'm just like Dave ay Rod. Once again, no snow on Halloween.
Speaker 8: Right As of right now, the forecast continues to look dry and warmth for the month. We're run about a nine degree average above for the month of October.
Speaker 4: All right on thirty one, Chief Meteorologist Dave Fraser.
Speaker 5: I appreciate you. We'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 4: Saying back, they say, we will be right back. A lot of you weighing in. Mandy, I wonder if you could talk about climate change for a minute sometime. My personal view is that the climate may be changing, but it is totally natural and organic thing and has nothing to do with mankind. My proof of this is ice ages. The entire planet cooled off on its own enough to produce an ice age, then the planet warmed enough to melt all of that ice, all without coal fired power plants or tailor swift flying around or whatever the environmental wackos claim is causing the warming. This has been going on literally for hundreds of thousands of years. That's my view. Wonder what you think We've talked about this a lot in the past, but I tend to side with you. Texture I for years, long, long, long years. When I first got my show in two thousand and five, when I was in Fort Myers, I sought out scientists who had alternative theories of why the Earth is warming. These were not people who said, the Earth isn't warming.
Speaker 5: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: These were people who said, yeah, the climate is warning, but here are some reasons that that could be happening. And what I discovered time and time and time again is talking to these scientists, it was almost impossible for them to get funding to study their theories about alternative reasons for this global warming. And when I started hearing that over and over and over again, it made the entire thing extremely suspect. And as the years have gone on, I am getting more and more suspect, even as there seems to be more and more scientists who say, Yep, absolutely, it's our fault.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: The notion that somehow we can predict the climate in one hundred years when we can't predict the weather in thirty days, on the face of it, is just ridiculous. And that's kind of where I'm sitting right now, right, that is where I'm sitting at this moment. But I am inclined to believe that, like you, we only have good record keeping from the late eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's what everybody says.
Speaker 4: This is the strongest storm any history. Nope, it's the strongest storm in recorded history, which is a much different sort of thing. And when you look at, say the number of hurricanes, they're not more hurricanes.
Speaker 5: Than there was before.
Speaker 4: So there's a lot of this stuff that's bandied about as oh, look at this is proof a man made global warming that certainly is not. And I happen to be of the mindset that we have so little control over what the Earth does that it's almost ridiculous for us to try and stop climate change instead of adapting to climate change. Imagine if we took all the money that we're trying to spend stopping climate change when we've had no record of history of any success of stopping anything climate related. I mean, think about it. The Mayans through virgins into volcanoes, They sacrificed young in in order to appease the gods and change the weather. What some of the stuff we're doing now is is just as stupid in my view, and if we really want to make an impact, then we should direct all of our attention and all of our energies into how to mitigate climate change, and that means figuring out new ways of farming. I actually have a really cool story on the blog today. As a matter of fact, Arod, I want you to get these people on the air. They're in Sidalia and they are growing the equivalent of two and a half acres of produce in shipping containers, and they can do this in any kind of weather. They can do it in any kind of a climate. And I think to myself, these are the people that we should be paying attention to, because they are the ones that are going to help us mitigate the effects of climate change that I honestly don't believe we can have that much of an impact on. I just don't, So you know, that's where we are at this moment. So I'm kind of with you. I think it is a fool's errand and just hubris that leads us to believe that we can control the climate. I truly do not believe that at all, because we've never been successful in doing it. It's like controlling the weather. People are talking about us controlling the weather, and I'm like, really, really, it's just so dumb. People keep asking Mandy. I would like to hear if you saw the CD eight debate last night between Evans and Caraveo, moderated by Kyle Clark and Marshall Zellinger. It wasn't a moderation, it was a grilling. Clark went full MSNBC with his dishonest Trump is racist and Trump is Hitler type comments injected into his moderation. Well, my issue with last night's debate is less about Kyle Clark and more about the fact the candidates refused to answer questions and both Caraveo and Evans did it last night, and I'm over it.
Speaker 5: But I'm not going to talk about it next. I'm going to talk about.
Speaker 4: It at one thirty because next we've got Christian Toto coming up. Fascinating column he's written about how Hollywood apparently doesn't care about white people. I will explain after we get back with Christian Toto.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell and John on koa.
Speaker 10: Ninety one FM, got the Nicey's, The Three, Mandy Donald, Keith sad Thing, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 4: To the second hour of the show and joining us now fan favorite and host favorite Christian Toto of the Hollywood in Toto website and podcast and now YouTube channel. He is everywhere a man about town, but he still has time to write incredibly good stuff about Hollywood, and that's what we're talking about today. Christian, Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 9: Of course, first, thank you, fan. I think you're stretching out a bit, but I'll take it.
Speaker 4: You are a fan favorite and you're a host's favorite, which is more important than being a fan favorite, right because I get to decide who comes on the show.
Speaker 5: I agree.
Speaker 4: I had no idea that Hollywood hates white people as much as they do, but this is what we're seeing, right.
Speaker 9: Well, I wouldn't go that far. I think there's some other cultural factors here, but I did recall. I mean, I think we all remember how Hollywood rallied around the victims of the Hurricane Katrina catastrophe, and I think that was a wonderful thing. And of course when Kanye West said George Bush hates black people, that was a detour for sure, But you know, Hollywood in general can be very generous. They open their pockets and their purses and their wallets, and when there's a tragedy in the country sometimes they do wonderful things, and they really are generous to a fault. And I thought, where is that today after Hurricane Helene. I just haven't seen it, and there are little pockets. I think country music stars have been the most aggressive in the space, but generally speaking, I just think the indust he's been kind of quiet. So I did some comparing and contrasting to what happened nearly twenty years ago with Kristina compared to what's happening now, and it's like night and day, and I think that's I don't think that's an accident.
Speaker 4: Well, a couple of things that I would suggest, and I'm not asserting this to be accurate at all, but one of them is it's like everyone is so consumed with politics at this moment in time, it's like real life.
Speaker 5: They can't let it get in the way.
Speaker 4: They have to keep the eye on the political prize and they have to keep that going. And do you think that's part of it that they are just otherwise engaged.
Speaker 6: Right now.
Speaker 9: I think it's a small part of it, but I think there's other factors in play. I mean, I think the two biggest things we're talking about is that the media is really not going wall to wall with the hurricane damage and what's going on like they did with Kristina, and then I was like that was necessary and needed. I don't think that's happening quite so much today. So I think that's sometimes the stars take the cues from the media that they consume, which is uniformly left leaning, like they are. But I also think that to draw attention to this crisis showcases how inept the government has been in this crisis, and you've got the Biden Harris administration pulling those strings, and I think they realize that some people may connect those dots. That's my theory. You can disagree, you know. It's funny. I wrote about this yesterday at my sight and I ran a past a couple of friends. The idea behind this, This is not bad, I said, am I on the right page here? It's just fair And they wrote back and they they're pretty straight with me. They said, yeah, I think you're right. So it was it was a subject I didn't want to go into easily, so glibly, but I think there's merit here well.
Speaker 4: And ultimately it comes back to politics, right to your point, if they focus on the devastation of Helene and the aftermath, which has really been you know, bad, It's been really bad. Part of it is terrain in North Carolina, which has made everything really really difficult. But the conflicting stories coming out about whether or not the government is responding. You have governmental officials saying everything is going along, and then you have the people of North Carolina on TikTok going no, it's not, no, it's not nothing is good, nothing is fixed. So I agree with you that the political aspect of this is important, But isn't that sad?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 4: I mean, we're still talking about human tragedy here, and to downplay human tragedy for political gain or to avoid the appearance of political blame is just a really sad state of affairs in our country right now.
Speaker 9: It is will stop. And I think that's the state of affairs country right now. I think we're see it in so many ways, you know. I also recorded how after Hurricane Katrina, I think it was five or six days where a major you know, celebrity telethon took kicked in and how the response was so swift, and you know, I believe this hurricane landed maybe run the twenty sixth, twenty seventh around there, and you know of September, so you know, it's been a while and you think that that would be enough time for that message to go forward, you know. But also this is the media saying, oh my gosh, there's potentially a huge story here of government ineptitude. Let's not have reporters on the scene or on the ground and pull our resources into confirming this is what's happening. It's like, standback, we'll take the government's narrative and we'll make fun of those yoguls who are saying there's problems on the ground. So, you know, it's such a big picture catastrophe in so many ways beyond the obvious tragedy in people's loss of lives and things. It's American in twenty twenty four, and it's ugly.
Speaker 5: It's incredibly ugly.
Speaker 4: And now we're having Hurricane Milton bearing down on Florida, which is run by a Republican governor, and I have a feeling that the silence. The silence will get even more deafening from Hollywood after this storm hits, don't you think.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, I think that Governor DeSantis has proven to be quite capable when these tragedies strike there his home state there, and so there's not much to bite on, so they won't cover it as much. I mean, they will to a certain degree, but it'd be much more fun for the journalists. I mean, listen, you and I have talked for years. Journalism used to be imbalanced, biased partners in it is now full blown corrupt. And I hate to say that, and I don't say it loosely, but what you're seeing is the end of this institution as far as being trustworthy. There's something going on right now. At CBS at sixty minutes, we've been editing the Kamala Harris interview to death. I mean it just every day there's a new scandal. So that's part of what we're talking about here. It's just part of the thing. And by the way, you know, we also had a year's worth of hostages under the Hamas threat, and Hollywood has been almost completely silent. I can name with people and I can use one hand to name the people speaking out. It's Patricia heat And this, Michael Rappaport, It's Deborah Messing, it's Amy Schumer. It's more or less it yeah, about hostages conquered by terrorists or and some of them are Americans who are still, you know, being held and may not survive. And Hollywood doesn't give a damn because they know it reflects badly on their party. Remember, just yeah, please argue with me, please, you know, play Devil's advocate. Now what other excuse can there be?
Speaker 4: I've actually and I don't know if you saw this story coming out of CBS News about what happened to CBS News Morning anchor Tony Deakoople.
Speaker 5: Did you see this story? Oh my god? No, So he interviews.
Speaker 9: It's a perfect microcosm of how far journalism has fallen. A journalist does and random act of journalism to quote the late great Rush Limbaugh, and he has to do a struggle session to apologize. It is shocking and embarrassing, but it really isn't shocking because that's where journalism is sty.
Speaker 4: And to bring everybody up to speed, CBS Morning co anchor Tony to and I think I'm saying his name right. He did an interview with noted racist and anti semi Tennehisi Coats. Right, So, Tennyhisi Coats rose to fame during the Black Lives Matter movement by telling white people that we were inherently corrupt and wrong and racist and there was nothing we could do about it.
Speaker 5: I can't stand this guy.
Speaker 4: And he's written a new book that apparently is an absolutely one sided polemic against Israel, and CBS journalist Tony Dekoople had the nerve to push back, and he had the nerve to question him and push him on some of these things and talk about the more extremeist elements of this book. That does not mention hamas hezbala Aran, not one time does it mention the Dafadas, Does it mention any of that? Does it mention little children being blown up in pizza parlors? And Tony pushed back, and CBS apparently called all the journalists into some kind of zoom meeting to chastise them for doing journalism, And it's like, what are we doing? Who do we trust?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 4: That's really what it comes down to me, Christian, because I know you feel the same way I do. A robust and an earnest journalism. Media is incredibly important to us. Who do we trust?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 4: Where do we look?
Speaker 9: The numbers are dwindling. I can't you and that very small group I also, Megan Kelly, I think does a mostly wonderful job. I used to think Tucker Carlson fell in that category. He no longer falls in that category at all, and that breaks my heart. Yeah, it's a it's a very very small group of people who you are you can take to the bank. Michael Schellenberger I think has been oh yeah, a leading light on following up on censorship concerns. He's literally on the Joe Rogan Show as we speak, a new episode. So yeah, it's it's a frightening situation we're in. We have more information than ever, more ways to share it, and I just don't know who to take to the bank.
Speaker 5: I just don't.
Speaker 4: So I am now a subscriber to the Free Press. I try to support all these little into the you know, journalistic endeavors that are usually disaffected journalists from places like the New York Times and CBS and all of these other places. But I think it is it's I don't want to oversell this, but I think it's dangerous that we have a large national media that is very invested in one political party. And I don't know exactly how to fix this, but I read this story at CBS. I was genuinely horrified that people were called to the carpet.
Speaker 5: For asking difficult questions.
Speaker 4: And that's what's happening now. It's like, oh, I'm sorry, you can only ask difficult questions of those on the right.
Speaker 9: Listen, we can fix the media. They have no shame, they have no scruples. The only thing we can do is to gently reach out to people who are our center left, who are saying who are people that we love who may disagree with us politically, and just show them piece by piece, story by story. Can you see how corrupt the media is? Can you understand that?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 9: Act accordingly. It's it's maybe the most dangerous part of our country right now. Is what you're describing. Dangerous is the right word it is. It is critical that we do that because otherwise I don't know what the alternative is. And by the way, you know, when jd. Vance is out there in a debate, he's sharp as attack because he's been questioned by tough journalists over the last how many weeks and Governor Tim Waltz is doing his I'm a knucklehead routine because he's never faced a tough question. That's what you get when you have journalists who are on one side.
Speaker 4: I gotta let me touch on JD. Vans for just a second, because this kind of goes to the bigger picture. JD Vance in that debate may have shown the way forward when it comes to dealing with the blatantly biased media that is running debates, that is asking questions. He came across as a happy warrior. He's obviously incredibly intelligent. Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of our top tier politicians have the mental brain power to do the same. But that to me that they probably open the eyes of a few more people about how biased the media really is.
Speaker 5: What are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 9: I mean, I agree, I think that's the right approach. You can't really come at someone and say how you're wrong. See this isn't wave news stories in your hand, because then their defenses rise up and they're not going to accept the information. You know, we glibally talk about people being red pilled, but that's what has to happen organically for this to change, the media will not change. They seem almost immune to criticism at this point. We need to have people who are smart and sensible and cautious and gentle, but firm with the facts on their side and speak rationally to break through what's going on. And Jade Vance is a great person in that arena, but we need thousands of him to move forward. And yeah, listen, he's a unique politician. And this at the stage they're a country. It's sad.
Speaker 4: You can always find great great grace movie reviews, TV reviews at Christian's website, Hollywood and Toto. He's got a great podcast as well, where he interviews a lot of people from the industry. I want to ask you specifically about the new movie The Apprentice about Donald Trump, because I yes, I have a friend who saw it. She is Mary Left, and she said, this film is just brilliant. It's just brilliant, and immediately I knew I wasn't gonna see it because it obviously spoon fed her everything that she wanted to see about Donald Trump.
Speaker 5: What are your thoughts on that film?
Speaker 9: Yeah, listen, it's gonna get a split reaction, for sure. I listen, I'm voting for Trump. I'm supporting Trump. I'm not a Trump fan per se. I see the flaws, I'm not immune to them. And I think that would make a very powerful story about his life in the eighties and how he rose up to power. And I think there are elements of that in the film. The first half is not bad at all, and it does kind of chart that great performances from Jeremy Strong Strong as Roy Cohen, his fixer, and Sebastian Stan does a nice job as Trump. But eventually you just see what's going on. You see the fix. Yeah, and this is about demonizing Trump. This is about attacking Trump. And what it does so poorly is it robs Trump of any humanity seen by scene by scene, He's shown as a monster, and you know, like many people, he has multiple sides. He's very funny, he could be generous, he could be charming, and by not having any of that there, you're just basically, you know, torpedoing your own film, and so it becomes what was marginally interesting into an absolute, unabashed hit piece, which is not entertaining, which is rather dull. And listen, if you want to get all that I just watched Stephen Colbert at night.
Speaker 5: That's what you get.
Speaker 9: But they should have told a great, interesting movie from a deeply flawed but fascinating figure. There's a great movie to be told about that, this, ain't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And that's the thing.
Speaker 4: It's like Donald Trump, like, take the politics out of it. What an interesting, complex person. This is right. I mean, you don't have to embellish, you don't have to try and add anything, because his entire life is razzle dazzle, and his entire life is this constructed persona that to me would should be a slam dunk.
Speaker 5: For a movie.
Speaker 4: It really should. And yet here we are. Here we are Christian Toto. Yeah, I appreciate you. Uh, Christian, I appreciate you making time. I always read your site before I go see a movie. I needed to ask you before we go though about the new Demi Moore movie. Have you reviewed this thing yet?
Speaker 10: I have.
Speaker 9: It's the substance. It's a new horror film. It's been out a few weeks, getting a lot of award season buzz, surprisingly for a horror film. I watch everything. I love horror movies. I can sit through anything on the screen. I was squirming in my seat. There's actually a lot of good satirical material in the film, and Demi Moore is quite good in it, but holy metral it is the third act is just bring an umbrella for all the goal in etc. That's on the screen. That's all I'll say.
Speaker 4: Well, I hate horror movies and.
Speaker 5: I hate gore.
Speaker 4: And my best friend said this movie is so good, but you can't separate it from the gore. Because I was like, look, just get it on, you know, get a copy and then cut out all the gore for me.
Speaker 5: She goes, it wouldn't make sense.
Speaker 4: But she loved the movie, absolutely loved it. At the same time, she expressed horror about her own love for the movie because it is so gory. So I mean, did it have to be that gory or is that just what they did?
Speaker 9: Well, there's a lot of what they call body horror in the film, which I think is essential to the story. But I think they go over the top and then some in the last ten twenty minutes, and I agree, I think it was unnecessary because it is a satirical look at aging about Hollywood, about sexism, those are all meaty topics that should be explored, and sometimes horror does it so well. So there's a lot to admire the style that the presentation is unparalleled, and so for that reason alone, it's fascinating to w But I just think they were so in love with the FX that it really does hurt the film. So it's worth watching. But again, if you're squeamish about horror, I mean, I don't see how you watch this. I really don't.
Speaker 4: I loved Demi Moore and one of my good friends said this is the best movie she's done since she was very, very young, and she loved it except the gore, and I'm.
Speaker 5: Like, I'm out.
Speaker 4: I don't even like to watch the autopsy scenes on ncis okay, And they're not even gory, Christian, They're just what they are. A Christian Toto. Find him at Hollywood intoto dot com. Find his podcast Hollywood in Toto and his YouTube channel also Hollywood in Toto as well.
Speaker 5: Christian, we'll talk to you again soon, my friend.
Speaker 9: Sounds good.
Speaker 5: Thanks all right, thank you, Christian Toto. I what a touch.
Speaker 4: Just for a second on the story that we mentioned about CBS News before, because this story is really like next level when it comes to the kind of bias we have in our news media, because before you know, Bertie Goldberg wrote the book Bias I think in two thousand and four maybe two thousand and three, two thousand and four, about his experiences with bias in CBS news. But this, this is absolutely next level.
Speaker 2: So I mentioned.
Speaker 4: What happened was CBS morning host Tony deaoople interviewed Tonney he c Coates, who I believe is a racist and an anti anti semit but he shot to fame during the Black Lives Matter movement. He interviewed him and asked him questions. Now, listen to this, listen to these questions when when this guy's on, he wrote a book that is all anti Israel. So Tony de coopele asked him. He said, why leave out that Israel is surrounded by countries that want to eliminate it?
Speaker 5: That's question number one? Question number two?
Speaker 4: Why leave out that Israel deals with terror groups that want to eliminate it?
Speaker 5: Question number three?
Speaker 4: Why not detail anything of the First and Second Intifada? The cafe bombings, the bus bombings, the little kids blown to bits, and because of that.
Speaker 5: On the following Monday morning, the network's top.
Speaker 4: Brass apologized for the interview to staff, saying it did not meet the company's editorial standards. The head of CBS News, Adrian Rourke, who's in charge of news gathering at the network, began her remarks by saying covering a story like October seventh requires empathy, respect, and a commitment to truth and essentially said, we're super sorry about that interview because we question this man that shares our viewpoints.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 4: Apparently, in the meeting, it also devolved into a conversation about whether or not questioning Israel's right to exist was allowed and if that's not the most you know, profoundly disturbing thing I've heard in sometime, I don't know what is. You can read all of this on the blog and they even have snippets of the meeting that you can listen to. Totally worth your time, do it. Got a lot of stuff on the plate today. I got a couple of things. First of all, I have some videos on the blog that you really got to see. One of them is the Weather Channel has done this graphic of the various stages of storm surge. Holy crap, it is insane and accurate because storm surge is the big killer now, and that is what everybody's worried about. So there you go. I will say this.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 5: It's I don't know how nah, I'm not going down that right.
Speaker 4: And we already talked about the hurricane at the beginning of the show, and I want to talk about some other stuff that I have on the show as well.
Speaker 5: One of the things that I want to talk.
Speaker 4: About today is another conspiracy theory has been proven true. The conspiracy theory this time is about fluoride in our water. Now, if you haven't heard about this, I had friends talk to me about floride in my water for forever, so much so that when I moved into my neighborhood, I called my water provider to find out if they fluorinated the water.
Speaker 5: Okay, so they do not in my water provider, But now we know.
Speaker 4: The National Institute of Health has done a study, and the National Institute of Health has now released the following The NTP monograph concluded that higher levels of fluoride exposure, such as drinking water containing more than one point five milligrams of fluoride per leader, are associated with lower IQ in children. The NTP review was designed to evaluate total fluoride exposure from all sources, and was not designed to evaluate the health effects of floridaated drinking water alone. It is important to note, however, that there were insufficient data to determine if the low fluoride level of point seven milligrams per leader currently recommended for US community water supplies has a negative effect on children's IQs. Guys, we have to stop putting crap in our water. I like it that, I said, guys in both a Rod and Zach, who's now training, both looked up at the same time.
Speaker 5: That was good, you guys.
Speaker 4: You were synchronized when I said, guys, there you go. Now, what's sort of fascinating about Florida in the water is the reason we have Florida in the water is it was a waste product from manufacturing that they needed to know what to do with.
Speaker 5: And we know it is good for our teeth.
Speaker 4: But I think I'd rather have janky teeth and a bigger brain than a smaller brain and nice teeth. So this is especially for little little kid kids. Please don't use little little kids. Don't give them real fluoride toothpaste. Kids. Toothpaste does not have fluoride in it because kids swallow toothpaste. It takes like a year to get your kid to stop swallowing the toothpaste when you brush their teeth.
Speaker 5: So just be aware.
Speaker 4: But this is I mean to me, this is like, oh okay, another thing that government told us was fine.
Speaker 5: Now not fine, just not fine at all.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 4: Am I gonna do away with my fluorinated toothpaste? No, I'm not, because I spit it all out that I rinse my mouth. I'm not eating it. And I think my brain is big enough already. I don't want to, like, you know, get ahead of myself, but I think my brain is just fine. Thank you so much, thank you so so much. So I wanna ask you. I don't normally tell you to follow me on social media. I mean I do, but I don't often do it. But if you want to know what's going on with Milton, with any of this stuff, today is the day to be on X do you Are you seeing a bunch of stuff from your on your excount I follow a lot of news organizations and a lot of news organizations in Florida, so I'm seeing a lot of this.
Speaker 7: I'm following the video threads on a lot of TikTokers. Yeah, well nuts, did.
Speaker 4: You see the tornado over Cluiston? The ginormous I think I did supercell tornado. It is unbelievable. But today's the day to be on X.
Speaker 7: I'm following all these people that are also the ones who are staying, and I want to see continue to post, you.
Speaker 5: Know, honestly.
Speaker 4: Okay, So apparently Marty Lenz is our morning guy. Marty Lenz his brother, Yes, for what a Let's get Marty on the phone. I want to ask him why his brother's saying, because no one seems to know why his brother decided to stay in Sarasota. Sarasta looks like right now, unless the hurricane wobbles, it is going to take a direct hit, probably a Cat four storm, maybe Cat three, but Category three is a devastating hurricane. Anything about Category two you need to get the hell out of the way because Category three and above is it's gonna it's You're basically gonna fafo.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You're not gonna just that's what's gonna happen. You're gonna find out. If you just mess around, you're gonna find out. And I just want to know because they're like, hey, Marty's brother is going to be able to talk to No, if they knock all the cell towers down, that's not going to be a thing. So we're gonna find out why his brother is staying in Sarah's Oh cool, Okay, Marty Lens, half of Colorado's morning news team, Marty, I just heard your brother is staying in Sarasota.
Speaker 5: What the deuce?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I don't know. So basically he said if he had his young kids still there, they probably wouldn't. But it's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Speaker 5: Wait wait, but where Okay, where is he in Sarasota? How far is he from the coastline? What did he say?
Speaker 6: Is about ten miles in? I think is what he said.
Speaker 5: I think that was right.
Speaker 6: God, I should know better.
Speaker 4: So he is he staying there by himself?
Speaker 9: Is no?
Speaker 6: His wife is his wife and they're both there so and they're less concerned about the storm surge and like I said, you know Florida. But what the word about is some of the wind in some of those things. So it's like it's a picture poison. Like, well, if they leave, do they know if they can get back in See, they don't already one of those things here party.
Speaker 4: I'm just going to say this as a native Floridian, I've been through so many hurricanes. Anything over a category two, I'm getting the hell out of Dodge because I have friends that have gone through They went through Andrew in South Florida, their children. Their children were in therapy for like eight years. Let me tell you what your brother might be in for. They spent eight hours of Hurricane Andrew inside a coat closet underneath their stairs while all of the roofing tiles, all of the concrete roofing tiles from their neighbors hit the side of their house so hard and so fast it sounded like machine gun fire. And when they finally came out of their closet, one whole wall of their house was gone. So this is I'm not trying to scare the crap out of him, but I'm trying to scare the crap out of him because I just worry about people choosing to stay, especially for the reason that you just gave. They're not sure if they're going to be able to get back. Well, if their house is there, they'll have something to come back to. But if their house isn't, they're going to be inside it.
Speaker 5: And that's what.
Speaker 6: Concerns and that's the thing. And when I asked him about their reason, I think he just felt like they I think their concern was if they leave, as if they'd be able to get back to your point, you know, is there something to get back to?
Speaker 9: But I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean, he's got a generator doing all the things I told him. I hope I can talk to him tomorrow morning, and.
Speaker 5: He has shutters.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 4: Yes, Well, I've got to tell you after Hurricane Charlie, which was only a Category three, there were no cell towers left.
Speaker 5: All the cell towers were gone, right.
Speaker 4: So there's all of these different things that you know, Sarah, Soda buries their power lines, but they don't bury the major transition line, the transmission line. So they come to Sarasota and then they get buried. But if those get knocked down, I just I'm worried, and I'm worried anyway, So now I have to worry about your brother. Let him know that Mandy Connell is now going to have to worry about him. I do hope he's okay. I hope this is the right to work through it too.
Speaker 6: Hey, let let me ask you this, because I should have asked him this on the air, And I've been texting that. I'm one of six siblings, so we're all beating them up with information. He said, they go dark after eleven, Mandy, do they de energize the power lines and situations like this, Yeah, because of they don't.
Speaker 4: No, it's not like California. It's not like California where you're gonna start fires because of it. They kind of let the It's almost like the chips are going to fall where they may, and they're going to allow the power to be on as long as they can, and then after the storm they're going to send people into clear the live power lines, which is a huge problem. But it's not like it's going to set a fire in California, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, it's a little bit different dark.
Speaker 6: I think he just meant they probably, you know, might not have power, and that's what he's thinking. So anyways, it's like, Oh, I should have asked him it on the air, about what he's gonna do.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'll text it right now.
Speaker 6: I'm going my yard with just something I always do, and I will. I will text them and see what he says about that.
Speaker 4: So all right, all right, Marty. Now I'm gonna have to worry about your brother, but I will say I'll send up prayers for his safety as well.
Speaker 5: So we got that covered.
Speaker 6: Thank you appreciating all.
Speaker 4: Right, thanks Marty, We'll be right.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, well, I gotta say, Marty, moan is lawn at one forty? Isn't that like you're gonna hurt your lawn?
Speaker 6: Marty?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, you're now No, no, beautiful. I looked up these things. The sun damage.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, the sun is not as it's not intense enough in October to Milan.
Speaker 5: I can go home and one at four.
Speaker 4: Yes, which is not nearly intense as it is in the middle of summer in July.
Speaker 5: That makes sense.
Speaker 7: Everything, Okay, I don't have to wait until near sunset anymore.
Speaker 4: No, oh really, don't you really? A rod has now become lawn obsessed. He's he's like, he's like six months away from screaming get out by lawn.
Speaker 5: I've yelled it, I make sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, I haven't yelled. I planned to yell if anyone comes near or their dog comes near, He's already there. My friends, he's already there. Oh jeez, you.
Speaker 4: Got a texture here. I've got lots of family in Sarasodi and they're riding this hurricane. Now, that's just I'm sorry, it's stupid. You're just if you have the means to leave, you're just stupid for staying and you're going miserable after the fact.
Speaker 7: Heard if people liking super tall high rises way up there, are they?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 4: It depends on the building. Yeah, you know, it depends on how it was built, when it was built, and there's always debris. So the super high up buildings a lot of times don't have hurricane shutters on the windows. So then you've got to worry about some flying in your window because all the the stuff flying around.
Speaker 5: Is a huge problem. Also, you're not getting out plumbing, you know, well, you're.
Speaker 4: Probably unless you're building has a massive generator that's not going to be underwater.
Speaker 5: You're gonna be out of power.
Speaker 4: That's the thing. It's not the storm itself, although Sarasota is going to be wrecked.
Speaker 5: Uh, it's the aftermath.
Speaker 4: If this is a Category four storm, when it comes on shore, there's a chance power won't be back in some areas for weeks, and then you're just sitting and it's hot and it's humid, and it's miserable. It's all. The aftermath of a hurricane is terrible, just terrible. Never want to do it again. This is where I'm never moving back to Florida. Never, never, never, never, ever so funny a couple of stories that I want to get to today before we bring on John Caldera to thirty. Denver is the least safe city in Colorado. Wallet Hub compared almost two hundred cities to determine where people feel the safest in the US. This study based safety on where Americans feel most secure, which includes factors like traffic deaths and assaults per capital to the unemployment rate, and the percentage of the uninsured population. And the study looked at some of the state's biggest cities like Aurora, Colorado Springs, and Denver.
Speaker 5: This is kind of fun.
Speaker 4: I like the results of this are kind of fun. The three Colorado cities sit on the lower half of the list. They ranked one hundred eighty two cities. Number one South Burlington, Vermont the least safe city, Memphis, Tennessee, Colorado Springs.
Speaker 5: Well, it came in at one fifty seven.
Speaker 4: Aurora came in at one point fifteen, meaning Aurora felt safer than Colorado Springs, Denver sitting at number one sixty one, and uh that is uh, that's kind of sad. While the Colorado cities rank on the lower end of the list, they still rank higher than some major cities around the country. Aurora ranks higher in safety than cities like Salt Salt Lake City, Chicago, and New York. While Colorado and Springs and Denver are considered safety safer let me try that again, safer than cities like Los Angeles and Dallas.
Speaker 5: So there's one for you.
Speaker 4: Oh, this person points out elevators won't work if the power goes out. Yep, that's miserable. I rode through the tail end of a hurricane. It was only like a Category one by the time it hit me in Orlando. It was supposed to be in a wedding in Orlando, and the storm was coming up through Florida and we were like, oh, we're gonna go anyway. So we stayed at Ratison. We were on the fifth floor and the water was coming in the windows sideways, so imagine having a window in a hotel and water is pouring in around it from I mean every all the way around it. Water is literally pouring in in the Radison Hotel. And then the next day everything smelled like mildew. It was so much fun, so good.
Speaker 5: I loved it. Not at all, it was terrible. I'm never moving back there. So you got that. And I want to talk about this story.
Speaker 4: I don't normally talk about stories like this because it's a sad story, but it's not a talk topic necessarily. A man was killed at eight twenty five pm on a Tuesday. There was a crash on Chambers Road, north of East Colfax Avenue.
Speaker 5: And that's important.
Speaker 4: Because Denver especially is trying to pass all these rules and regulations to make driving a car absolutely miserable, and they're doing it in the name of saving people, pedestrians specifically, who keep getting hit by cars. But this story is a perfect example of why all of their anti car nonsense is not going to move the needle, because in this case, the driver was not doing anything wrong. The driver was not drunk, the driver was not speeding, the driver was not intoxicated in any way, shape or form, and The guy who is now dead walked out in the middle of the road, not at an intersection. He wasn't at a crosswalk. He wandered into the road and he got hit by a car. And that is what I think. A vast majority of our pedestrian deaths are about people not using the crosswalks, people wandering into the street. I wonder if the gentleman who was hit was actually intoxicated. I think I mentioned this the oh dang amount of time. Let me finish this on the other side the break. We're gonna do the two minute drill today because I've got a bunch of stuff I haven't gotten to. And then John Caldara is gonna bring join us. We got all kinds of stuff stick around.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connall Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and Injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell and John on KOLA AM.
Speaker 4: Ninety one FM.
Speaker 10: So god ways three Andy Connell keeping sad thing.
Speaker 2: The two minute drill at two.
Speaker 5: Hey, we're going to too minute warrings.
Speaker 2: Rapid fire stories of the day that we don't have more time for. Let's call this so it'll take longer than two minutes.
Speaker 6: Are are you up.
Speaker 2: Here's Mandy Connall.
Speaker 4: All right, my friends, story number one. Because you know that I'm extremely concerned about fire, and you may know that I live in Douglas County. If you two live in Douglas County, they have now imposed Stay two fire restriction, no burning of any kind. You can still have a grill, but no burning, no fireworks. Violations are punishable by a five a fine of up to one thousand dollars. And you know what, if I see you doing it, I'm going to call the cops myself. I don't want you to burn my house down. This story is super, super interesting. From politico dot com. We all know that Portland, Oregon is a bastion of liberalism, creating a liberal utopia that has turned into a hellhole. How do I know, Well, they're in the process of bouncing out their entire government. Not only are they bouncing them out, they're restructuring government. Portland voters decided to throw out their entire government structure and replace it with a weaker mayor, expanded city council, and ranked choice voting. A major driver in this was Measure one ten, which decriminalized all drugs, which is resulted in an absolute human disaster in Portland.
Speaker 5: Now, there are a lot of people running for office.
Speaker 4: There are nineteen people running for mayor, ninety eight people seeking seats on the City Council, and though they're all campaigning on left of center platforms, almost all of them it is Portland progressives are saying, wait, we need to fix the problems, including the problems of homelessness and drug addiction. And there's some tough talk coming out of Portland. It seems that you can beat the progressive out of someone, and Portland has figured out how.
Speaker 6: To do it.
Speaker 4: So the people running to join the City Council are trying to fix it. One of them is striving for a law and order vote, another is selling a vision of pragmatic progressivism, and one focuses on mental health service as an economic revitalization. A dark horse candidate is Keith Wilson, a self made CEO who started a nonprofit aimed at ending homelessness in Portland. The entire city Council looks to be going We'll have to wait and see what happens in Portland, because right now it is a hellhole and they've got to do something.
Speaker 2: Drill it too.
Speaker 5: This is an interesting story.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you heard this, but the Justice Department has now announced charges against a citizen of Afghanistan who lives in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Why is he being charged, Well, he was conspiring to conduct an election day terrorist attack in the United States on behalf of ISIS. Now, what's super fun about this is Naser Ahmad TAWEEDI, twenty seven came over to the United States as part of a giant airlift of people who were completely unvetted, meaning we didn't know who they were, but we let them into the country anyway. The defendant says, the FBI director, motivated by ISIS, allegedly conspired to commit a violent act on election Day here in our homeland. Now, of course he ended up talking to FBI agent instead of an assassin or a gun deal or whatever, and they've caught the guy. But it does make me wonder who else is planning such an attack and who else was brought into the country by the Biden Harris administration. Drill it too, So this is kind of a cool story. I somehow got signed up for an email list of history facts and today's history facts. Was how cornflakes were invented. Now, if you never saw The Road to Wellness, I think the movie about the Kellogg brothers, but they were kind of wack a doodles, but early adopters of the importance of nutrition. Around eighteen ninety four, Kellogg and associates made a cereal, one of the first. It was called Granos. Granos, Yeah, they had to change the name. Oh no, they didn't have to change the name of granose. Now, the health minded doctor Kellogg refused to put any sugar in the cereal, and it was only after former patients CW. Post hit it big in eighteen ninety seven with the launch of grape Nuts, a flame spinoff of the granola he saw produced in the kitchen. That Will Kellogg devised a sweeter corn based version of Granos that became Cornflakes, a ubiquitous part of the American well breakfast table. Now, one more story, I should hit that.
Speaker 6: Sorry.
Speaker 4: I meant to talk about this earlier, and I'm going to talk about it quickly now. But it is so important, Jack Phillips, that Masterpiece Cakes has finally well for now, because I don't trust these activists to not come after him again. He was being sued by a trans woman activist named Amber Scardina because he refused to make a cake celebrating her gender transition. And now the High Court of Colorado has thrown the case out, meaning that for now Jack Phillips will be able to express himself as a baker and as a Christian without being hassled. This is after, of course, a Supreme Court ruling in a case where a gay couple tried to get him to make a cake to celebrate their gay marriage in defiance of his own religious beliefs. The Court Supreme Court sided with him, and now the Colorado Supreme Court has dismissed this case. But not because they think Jack Phillips was right or he has the freedom to do it. They dismissed the case on the grounds that attorney and transactivists Amber Scardina did not follow proper procedure in filing the case in the first place, and that, my friends, is your two minutes drill right there.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: I want to talk about this, and I'm going to talk about it on the other side of the.
Speaker 5: Break, but I want to start it here.
Speaker 4: Last night, there was a debate between Gabe Evans and Yadira, representative Yudiro Caraveo in the eighth Congressional district. Gabe us trying to unseat Representative Caraveo, and last night they had a debate, and last night I watched it. This morning, I didn't watch it last night. It was hosted by Kyle Clark and Marshall Zelliger. But I'm not mad at Kyle Clark and my Marshall Zeliger because they did what they do right. They did what they did. I thought Kyle was tough on and asked difficult questions of both candidates. But both candidates did the thing that we, the American people, have to stop allowing to happen, and that is they're asked one question and they start giving a lot of blobbedy the love of talking points, and they simply don't answer the question that is asked. And here's the thing, you guys. I like Gave Evans. I think he would be great in the eighth Congressional district. But last night he came across like a used car salesman. He didn't answer the questions, just answer the damn questions. And political consultants are to blame here. Well, you don't want to give him some kind of fodder, some kind of candid fodder for a negative ad. If you cannot clearly explain your positions, if you cannot clearly answer a question. And by the way, Representative Caraveo did know better. She did know better. It's not like just just gave Evans didn't answer the question. She didn't answer me either. I can't tell you how many times one of the moderators had to say, we didn't answer the question. Kyle Clark got in a whole bunch of Trump is racist, Trump is bad.
Speaker 5: You knew that was coming.
Speaker 4: But I'm so sick of candidates just not answering the damn questions.
Speaker 5: Just answer the questions. We'll talk more about this.
Speaker 4: On the other side, I've got a couple of questions from people about the Trump event on Friday and the Trump event I put a link on the blog today. It seems that tickets are still available. I did not put my name in in for Oh nope, it's sold out, sold out as of now. So it was there was tickets available this morning and now they're not. So if you do not already have tickets to the event, you are not going to get them. It is going to be at the Gaylord Rockies, and I know that a lot of people are super excited about this. I do not think this helps Colorado Republicans at all.
Speaker 5: I just don't.
Speaker 4: Trump is extremely disliked by a lot of Colorado voters, and I would love to think that people would be able to do the split ticket. But no, no, And I'm wondering if any you know, If I'm Gabe Evans, I don't go see Trump. I don't get my picture taken next to Donald Trump. I just don't do it. If I am Jeff Hurd in the fourth Congression No, third Congressional district, I'm not going to get my picture taken with Donald Trump. And don't get me wrong, they're Trump supporters in both of those districts. But you're not trying to win the Trump supporters as a Republican. You're trying to win the Independence And I don't know if anything is happening with Independence and their love or dislike of Trump in Colorado that would make it significant enough, you know, I just don't know. So to the person who said, Mandy, do you have any info regarding parking and access to the Trump rally on Friday? Can't find online anywhere go figure. That's because it was only available at Donald Trump.
Speaker 5: Dot com and now they are sold out.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 5: So we got that going for us.
Speaker 4: We will have someone out there covering it. I believe Jimmy seging Burger is going to be up there covering it for us. I think so. I think he's going to be part of the media coverage. I may be speaking too soon, but I don't think I am so. Obviously we're going to have a lot of coverage of that wall.
Speaker 5: He's here.
Speaker 4: It's still a big deal. He's still, you know, a former president running for president. It's a big deal. I don't really, Ayron, have you reached out to the Trump campaign to see if we can get him for an interview?
Speaker 5: Does that happened yet? Yeah? You know, I wouldn't. I wouldn't count on it. Not holding your breath there, not quite.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, you want to just show up at the Gaylor or the Rockies on Friday? No, I'm good.
Speaker 4: I got to do my show.
Speaker 5: It's at one o'clock. It's right during the show. Oh, it sounds like a live sh right there.
Speaker 4: I found out about it as soon as it was announced. Someone sent me a text and said, this is happening. It's happening at one. I'm like, I'm doing the show. Don't get me wrong. I love the Gaylord Rockies. I go there on every opportunity, very glad, fret.
Speaker 5: And not Thursday when I'm flying out. That would not be good. Oh your cruises this week?
Speaker 6: Cruise?
Speaker 4: Where is it?
Speaker 5: Where are you going?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 5: I'm going to California.
Speaker 7: It's our my grandpa's official military like ceremony, celebrate life celebrations.
Speaker 9: Oh that's nice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 7: He was cremated, so no particular rush. So this is where we're able to get all the family. Everywan's comment, So what is in San Diego?
Speaker 5: What is special about that your grandpa?
Speaker 7: So I think I'm trying to remember we're flying into I think I think we're flying in Ontario.
Speaker 4: So somewhere southern California. Yesio is a great little airport. It's fantastic.
Speaker 7: I think the military. Whatever the places he's being buried, I think it's the place he wanted to And again military cemetery, yeah, I believe, I.
Speaker 5: Believe, don'tquote.
Speaker 7: But then California, all the most of the families there got Gaian Hawaii family in Cali family in Vegas gotcha central spot for all.
Speaker 4: That's a great, great way to honor your grandpa. Get everybody together. And to the person who said you think TDA will make their way north to the Gaylord Rockies, I don't know. Here's what I hope comes out of this. I hope that Mayor Mike Kaufman, who I'm sure will be there because it is in Aurora, and yes, the Gay Lord Rockies is in Aurora. I hope he and Daniel Jorinsky can let Donald Trump know what has occurred since all of this stuff happened. And I hope they let him know that Aurora has not been taken over by gangs. So there you go, Mandy. I still recall Trump canceling an interview with you at the last minute in twenty sixteen, right when you took over for Mike Rosen, and I've texted you about it before and never got an acknowledgment. I I'm not saying that didn't happen. It absolutely could have happened. But you guys, I don't remember stuff like that.
Speaker 5: I just don't.
Speaker 4: I remember when Brooke Shields canceled on me. That upset me a great deal but when you're dealing with any kind of politician or a candidate or anything, it's so fluid, you know, meaning like they have other stuff to do, they get a better offer, whatever they're running late, blah blah blah.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I yeah, there you go.
Speaker 4: The Gaylord has lots of parking and it's pretty cheap too. Yes, it does have lots of parking. I'm assuming that if you got a ticket, you're going to get some kind of email with the details of what you have to do. And I'm just going to say this. This event is supposed to start at one. I would recommend that you have your happy asses there at like eleven if you have a ticket, because going through the security, being screened, all of that stuff, it takes a lot longer than you think it is, and you don't want to get there and miss everything. So if you're going, make sure that you're going to get there in a timely fashion. Manday, do you know how many tickets were available?
Speaker 5: I have no idea.
Speaker 4: The Gaylord Rocky has some massive convention spaces, so I mean thousands at least at least when we get back. John Caldera joins us he's got an infuriating column that I linked on the blog today about how our tax dollars are funding the fight against oil and gas.
Speaker 5: We'll do that next.
Speaker 4: My friend from the Independence Institute, rabble rouser and all around good guy, John Caldera, Hello, my friend, that was a very bright and sunny good afternoon. Are you feeling your oaths today?
Speaker 6: You always make me feel bright and sunny. You are the sunshine in my life.
Speaker 4: Wire it's getting deep in here and we're not even flooding with a hurricane Milton yet.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: Uh, John, I gotta tell you, I got soup. I had a high school teacher, Nancy Hunter was her name. She was also our cheerleading sponsor, and she was an older lady when I went to school there. She actually just passed away, but her big line was when you do something out of order in her algebra class, she'd.
Speaker 1: Go, that just burns me up.
Speaker 4: And when I read your column this week, I channeled Nancy Hunter and I said, that just burns me up because you exposed to me something I did not know, and that is I am funding the opposition. Please explain to my listeners what you wrote about.
Speaker 6: You are funding the opposition, you know, the old thing and poker. You're playing with the House's money. Oh yeah, Well, your opponents on energy policy, who are trying to make all of your energy choices go away, are spending a lot of money to lobby the legislature, lobby the Oil and Gas Commission, and you are giving them government money to do so. And I didn't know until I poked around. The Colorado's Office of Environmental Justice gives out the Environmental Justice Grant program. So, in other news, Colorado has an Office of Environmental Justice.
Speaker 4: I never wanted to be mayor until right now, just so I can go rip the name tag off the door of the Environmental Office of Justice whatever Justice League of environment What what is this?
Speaker 6: Right? And it's yeah, it's It's staffed by a bunch of people with crowd pronouns, and they get their job is to spend our tax money giving out grants and helping promote environmental justice.
Speaker 4: What does that even mean?
Speaker 6: God, I was hoping you wouldn't ask that. I said, nobody knows what that means. Here's my research, here's here's what I found. You know, the term environmental justice, it's kind of like defining pornography. You really can't, but they know it when they see it, and so they I looked at their definition in the state and it's this weird, convoluted, bureaucratic fluff and a woke speak. And basically, the way it looked to me was their job is to split our community into as many smaller communities as possible and then say that the ones that are most victimized get to work to push socialism. So they find these groups, tell them that they've been victims of the environment or utilities or something. And what I found out, and you love this. Our money goes to the Office of Environmental Justice and their goal is to quote give aid to disportionately impacted communities. Whi's just like the term environmental justice requires yet more definitions. Okay, so yeah, let me they have a list. The office says that disproportionately impacted communities include low income communities, communities of color, housing burdened communities.
Speaker 5: Wait stop, wait what wait?
Speaker 4: So they're living under their house, they're holding their house up on their.
Speaker 6: Back, they're burdened housing burden. I love this one. Whistically isolated communities. What here's yes, linguistically isolated. Yeah, I guess they can't speak well, historically marginalized communities, huh, communities with environmental and socio economic impacts, tribal lands, and mobile home communities. Now I don't even know what all that means. So they get to decide, you know, who is a linguistically isolated community. But basically they give out these grants to organizations to help rectify the injustice of utilities. And what I love about this, well, let me give you a couple examples. They're one of the leading anti fossil fuel groups is called three fifty Colorado. There's a national organization as well, and last year they got about nine hundred thousand dollars in donations. Of that, one hundred seventy three thousand, seven hundred dollars came from your Office of Environmental Justice. There's another organization called Greenhouse Connection Center, and their job is to pair. You're gonna like this, this is the Mandy Tonnels thing. You like this, prepare the arts and activism with healing, connection, education and transformation as they developed quote develop climate solutions with lasting environmental and social benefits, or does that mean they they're being group.
Speaker 4: Well well, okay, wait, wait, okay, So I just want to ask you a question about that last one, because I'm actually working on a Greek tragedy style musical about the Tina Peters situation. And so what you're telling me is that if I just add a climate change component, maybe.
Speaker 5: They'll give me money.
Speaker 6: Exactly. But you have to be anti fossil fuels to do this. By the way, the woman who founded the group I just said the Greenhouse Connection also works for the alt left group Colorado Rising. They build themselves as oil and gases chief adversary. And let me just give you one more. There's something called Urban Symbiosis. That's another organization. They're focused on building a fair ecosystem and food system. So their budget, their budget that I saw in their tax forms was one hundred and eighteen thousand dollars and they got a grant for two hundred and seventeen dollars. They almost triple their budget by getting gifts from Colorado taxpayers. And this money is used to lobby, to go down and lobby. A matter of fact, you can see it on some of their tax forms of how much is being used for direct lobbying and others that they're just used to organize people. Now, this is great if you are an anti energy guy, maybe you love this, but that also means if the other team gets in charge and starts spending tax money to give to organizations to lobby for oil and gas cracking or coal, you've got to be okay with that as well. And I guess ray I'll wrap it up with this part, which is what's so crazy, is that what they try to do is under the skies of trying to help the poor via this environmental justice. These elitists are working to make energy prices skyrocket, which disproportionately hurts guess who.
Speaker 9: The poor.
Speaker 6: So they are using the poor as ponds to raise energy prices and cut off our energy supply. They exploit financially vulnerable groups to lobby for unworkable energy policies that are going to devastate financially vulnerable groups. Yeah, this is beyond perverse. They're encouraging people to want to see themselves as victims and then to use those newly identified victims to lobby for laws that will hurt those very same people. It's ugly, it's sick.
Speaker 4: John the I don't know if you saw this study. It came and went very very quickly from our news media coverage. And that was they did a long study in the name of environmental justice about the air quality around the and I want to say it was the.
Speaker 5: Elisias wants what are the neighborhoods right there?
Speaker 6: Thank you?
Speaker 4: Wanta Alirius wants you a neighborhood. And so they spent all this money doing this environmental justice study because they were hell bent on proving that it was I seventy that was leading to higher rates of asthma and other breathing conditions in those neighborhoods, only to find out the air quality wasn't bad at all, and that study just disappeared. It just was like it was here today, gone tomorrow. We're never going to see it again. So what we're doing here is saying we want to go after environmental justice. But when then the study doesn't show that there is environmental injustice, they're just moving the goalposts. I mean, am I wrong?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: Understand, one of the things that has happened in Colorado over the last couple decades is the Slowinsky way that anti energy people have infiltrated the system. So we have a PUC that wants to get rid of affordable energy We've got a governor who appoints people on the Oil and Gas Commission to stop that. We've got these pressure groups that push for these laws and these regulations with our own money, and the people who are going to get destroyed by this be the poor in Notice your utility bills keep going up. It's going to be worse in Colorado perhaps than any other state in the nation, because they are taking away affordable energy.
Speaker 4: So right now, do we have any recourse other than electing people who will shut these offices down.
Speaker 6: This was created by the legislature, I believe, and we have an Office of Environmental Justice. We need a governor and a legislature that gets rid of this. Quite simply, you're spending millions of your dollars to raise your utility prices and shut off affordable energy. This is this is so wrong because it hurts the poor. What I love about the left is that they're constantly squawking about how they're the ones that care about the poor, but nearly every policy they do screws the poor. What they do on environmental stuff hurts the poor who can't afford it. What do they do with education? They do it one size fits all, rich people can get out, poor people can't. Transportation, they put most of our money into a failed trolley system that almost no one rides. But if you have money, you can buy a car. So they hate the poor and they exploit them, and now they're using our money to do so. And I was surprised. I've never seen this report anywhere, so I put it in my column for the Denver Gazette. Will be up on Complete Colorado later today, and I hope you'll link to it. I hope on your blog.
Speaker 5: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: It's already linked on my blog, John, Because if I'm going to get angry about something, than God, I'm not going to be the only one. I Am going to make all of my listeners read it too, so they can be as frustrated as I am about this stuff. But this is Do we know when the Office of Environmental Justice came into being? Do you know when it had to have been after twenty nineteen?
Speaker 6: Yeah, there was just a couple of years ago.
Speaker 4: Because I can't imagine that if the Republicans had any say in the legislature that this would be a thing, and we all know they.
Speaker 5: Don't for some time now.
Speaker 4: So I what I'm looking at I'm looking at this from a different perspective now, John, because obviously you and I we are doing this wrong, right, we have to set up some kind of organization with the right language and go with me on this. With the right language. We're going to use all of the buzzwords, but we're going to use their inability to be straight about something to our advantage. We are going to gunk up the works so completely with all of the little buzzwords on the left and justice and what was it linguistically What was the linguistic thing? I forgot already.
Speaker 6: It was linguistically isolated, right.
Speaker 4: Right, right, So we're going to use all that jargon, and you and I are going to put in a grant proposal and see if we can get some of this grift.
Speaker 6: I would love to do that. The Colorado Office of Environmental Justice is run by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment and they're the ones who they're the ones who put it all out with our money. So keep in mind where you have potholes, millions of dollars are going to fund the alt Left. When when you're not getting the buses you need for your kids, you're not getting the education you need. There you have it. That's where it's going.
Speaker 4: I have to listen.
Speaker 5: I have to share a text message now.
Speaker 4: I just want to warn you before I read this text message to you, John Caldera from the Independence Institute. Your IQ is going to drop just a hair after you hear this, but I want you to listen to it anyway.
Speaker 2: It's the difficult thing.
Speaker 6: I've known me for a lot of time.
Speaker 4: Just well, there's not a lot of hair for it to drop either. So how about this when this text says, are you serious? You used to be able to ride a trolley across the country with transfers. The oil companies burn the trolleys to the ground to make you buy a car. And this is the liberals fault it. Gag me is how they signed it. So I don't know if gag is a is a family name or if it's just their parents came up with something creative, but that's what we're dealing with.
Speaker 6: Let me go off on that one for a second, because this is one of my most important passions, that mobility is the key to the American tream. That you show me a man who's limited to how far he can walk, or how far he can go on public transit. I will show you a man who will never go above the first rung of the economic class. And mostly it is mostly people of color who are poor, who can't afford a car. I've probably regaled you many times with a story of my five hundred dollars dots in to ten that I got in college. And it was a babemobile because you know, I went in zero to sixty and under fifteen minutes, face pain cracked, wind sealed, the headline are probably in the middle.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah. And when when it rained, water would pull up in the passenger side. Yeah, so I had to take a hammer and nail poke a hole and to get drain it. But that five hundred dollars dots and could go anywhere Alexis could go and do it for a lot less. Yeah, it freed me to hold down a job. It freed me to see clients, It freed me to go to school. It freed me to live a life and start a business. That five hundred dollars and mobility.
Speaker 5: And good roads.
Speaker 6: Let me be who I am. Go down to people who are have no choice but to write transit. I'm not talking about you know, rich guys who take the train into so they don't have to pay parking. I'm talking about people who have no other choice. Right. Those people are on the bottom of the economy, and what your listener just wrote is hateful because what she wants to do is keep those people down while people, mostly white, who can afford a car, get to live the American tree. This is why stuff like this is so very very wrong.
Speaker 4: Well, ultimately, and I'm gonna let this be the last word, and I'm gonna take it. It's it's like how valuable is your time. The lower you are in the economic ladder, the less valuable your time is, and you have an hour and a half to spend getting to work. The higher up the ladder you are, your time is more valuable. In that hour and a half could be spent doing something far more productive. John, it's a great column. John Caldera, always one of my favorite guests and my pal, and I appreciate you burning me up. But if I could get a trigger warning or something, that'd be great.
Speaker 6: Yeah, next time, your money going to be worked against you to her.
Speaker 2: That's the headline.
Speaker 4: There you go, all right, Jen, I'll talk to you later.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 4: All right, Okay, we have a new member of the KOA team. His name is Zach, and Zach will be doing your utility player. Zach, is that your official role? Utility player?
Speaker 10: Is that what it is?
Speaker 9: Yes, sir, Yesham excuse me, I'm so sorry right off the bed a really rough introduction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I will be utili. You can probably be bouncing all around here, bounce around, k how.
Speaker 5: Just hoping however I can.
Speaker 4: Well, we're glad to have you because our poor producers are overworked right now and we're happy to have somebody at a rod says you're really good.
Speaker 5: I do so, I'm gonna git him. I'm gonna bree him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, your we'll see how good you are. Because now it's time for the most exciting segment all the radio of its kind. Now this is where you yell in the world as loud as you can in the lone nice of the very good first outing on that excellent what is our first of all a joke of the day we have that.
Speaker 7: I will be I will be posting telepathically today. So if you think of something funny that was me that's actually kind of good.
Speaker 4: Today's word of the day.
Speaker 5: Please. It is an adjective adjective ungainly.
Speaker 4: Ungainly is.
Speaker 9: Not attractive, something that's not beneficial.
Speaker 4: Oh that's good, that's a logical choice.
Speaker 7: But no, ungainly usually describes someone or something moving in an awkward or clumsy way, unattractive.
Speaker 5: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to give myself too much credit there today, what's the what is the name of the fictional national park? The cartoon characters Yogi Bear roles, Yes, you're right. What's the answer, but that is correct? Yes, Jellystone National Park.
Speaker 6: There we go?
Speaker 4: All right, what is our category?
Speaker 5: We know what your last initial is? Yes, okay, z s.
Speaker 4: There we go.
Speaker 7: Remember anyone's first time, you have to wait for the whole clue. You guess it anywhere.
Speaker 5: Yep, the pity rules are in effect for you, just for the first time players. After this, it's pro least twere.
Speaker 6: Is B and B.
Speaker 5: Most of these are sayings. Both words start with the bay B and B.
Speaker 4: I have to wait till the end of the question. You do not recommend if you know it, jump in.
Speaker 5: I have to wait for the word go.
Speaker 7: Animal pair involved an indoctrination about reproduction.
Speaker 4: Go what is birds and the bees.
Speaker 2: Pittsburgh.
Speaker 7: Rare steak charred on the outside and rare in the middle is sometimes called this ow Go Mandy.
Speaker 5: What is black and blue? A basic means of support or a type of pickle?
Speaker 4: Go Mandy?
Speaker 5: What is bread and butter? Exactly cooking?
Speaker 2: This is rough?
Speaker 4: I was I was giving Ryan such a hard time yesterday.
Speaker 5: Listening enough a period of prosperity followed by a downturn.
Speaker 4: Go you laugh at this security followed by downturn?
Speaker 5: Many? What is boom and b and going for the sweep?
Speaker 7: This British phrase about being oversafe contains two articles of clothing. Remember the British word for suspenders go uh oh, I.
Speaker 4: Have no idea what the British word for suspenders is.
Speaker 5: Four is still a sweep?
Speaker 4: M oh man, it's gotta be.
Speaker 5: It's gotta be some weird British slang. I have no idea what what is? What is belt embraces the sweep? So it's still a shutout a sweep.
Speaker 4: I'll take that, Zach, a pleasure.
Speaker 5: You've taken your first.
Speaker 4: We'll expect to see you back for another beating, very very soon. We're happy you're here. HAPPI you're on team on the team with us now, so it's nice to meet you and I.
Speaker 5: Look forward to working with you.
Speaker 4: But right now we're going to turn the station over.
Speaker 5: To KOA Sports.
Speaker 4: We'll be back tomorrow. Another a fantastic show coming your way up I think from the Beer Festival, but I'm not positive.
Speaker 5: So that's gonna be a lot of fun to stick around.