Speaker 1: Ripped up.
Speaker 2: News need advice, so you don't have them run just as fast as we can.
Speaker 1: Shoots gonna help. Come man, is.
Speaker 2: The Troubleshooter Show. No, Tom Martino, Hi Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. Give us a call if you have a problem, a question or complaint and you need help, that's what we're doing here. Help, help, help, So welcome to the show. Three ozho three seven one three talk three oh three seven one three eight two five five. So what's new in your life and how can we help you? We ask that every single day, and today we are all gathered in the studio at the Mothership. Do we have YouTube up and running yet? Not yet?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, well we're having a problem with the internet here, so you got to be patient. But we have all the deputies in house today. We have Deputy Chopper, Deputy, we got Deputy Dollar, Deputy Doc, Deputy Bo and we're trying to solve problems, answer questions, take complaints, and make your life just a little easier. Now, there's a couple of things I want to talk about. We had a guy call in that said he was a Joe I think his name was. He said he was a retired last year on para got a lump sum of sixty grand. He called in two days ago and he said he was a janitor. And then he said that when he got his lump sum of sixty grand, he paid off about twenty thousand dollars in bills. He said he had about forty left thirty eight to be exact, and somebody called him and said, uh, you need to send your money to us because in cash you got to actually take tinfoil and load up your wrap up your cash and put it in a ups package and send it to us because your account has been hacked for child pornography and you're going to be arrested unless you do this. And when you do it, we'll get your money back when the investigation is over. Now, we so many YouTube morons and marked outed it, said it was a quack and a phony story. I don't know if it is or not. I said, you know, it is sounding pretty far fetched. We asked him if he had to fill out anything for the ten thousand dollars withdrawal. He said he did ten thousand dollars each time, not more than ten. And he said he went and got it four different times for forty thousand dollars and then he sent it. So we wanted to see a bank statement to prove that he actually did this and he really did have a bank account, because some people thought he was lying to get money from us. By the way, our numbers three oh three, seven one three talk if you need help, information and referrals or it's three oh three Martino three oh three six two seven eight four sixty six. So do you remember that case? Now, guys, I wasn't here yesday. I was doing some other things and Mark took the show. Did we go over that bank account yesterday? Is Mark signed on or not yet? Is he no? Okay? So apparently he did send in a bank statement and it showed that he made withdrawals. Did dollar? Did you not? Were you listening or were you here? You said, yes, he sent in the bank statement. Do you know that? Just you got to move the mic close to your mouth. We're not gonna hear it. Yeah, Mark looked at it. Oh he did, okay?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I mean you can clearly see those withdrawals made on the account.
Speaker 2: So this guy withdrew cash, wrapped it up in foil, and you ps'd it to someone.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: This is happening so much to so many older people. It's crazy. I want to take some calls. And then we have Dan McKenzie in, and Dan McKenzie does a state planning, wills, trusts, all of that, and I'm telling you there are a lot of older people being taken for their money. I mean millions, hundreds of millions of dollars come.
Speaker 6: I get that all the time when I do my AARP thing. It's amazing.
Speaker 2: You work on the volunteer lines there and on AARP and they call and say, I just somebody just took all my money.
Speaker 6: Same thing that we do here, basically, except that it's a lot more of what this guy went through than individual consumer problems. But it's mostly scams from you know, uh, provent grants or real estate deals or anything, and a lot of romance scams.
Speaker 2: Jonathan, it's your turn. Hi, I'm Tom Martino. What's going on, Jonathan?
Speaker 7: Well, Friday, Uh the ninth on, I got a text on my phone that says a change was made to your account called six one. One of you did not request a change.
Speaker 8: Oh no, let's thro by Team Mobile.
Speaker 2: Well all right now, wait, you were texted on your cell phone. Yeah, and it and your the cell phone you were texted on is a Metro phone, yes, okay, by Mobile? Okay, it's it's by T Mobile.
Speaker 7: Well they call it Metro by Tim Mobile. Yeah Metro okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So you got a text and then what did you do?
Speaker 7: And then the next thing, you know, my phone is shut up, like I have no service on my phone?
Speaker 2: Okay? And why Well, from.
Speaker 7: What I understand now after getting through all this, they they ported my number to someone else. And my number is someone else's number now, just out of the blue, for no reason.
Speaker 2: They just I won I wonder if it was a miskying or something a mistake or I don't know why anyone would want your number. Did you have a very special number?
Speaker 7: Well, it's been my special number for twenty years.
Speaker 2: But I mean it doesn't spell anything, does it. It's not anything special? So you okay, this text? How long ago? How long ago did the text come?
Speaker 9: Bro?
Speaker 2: How long ago?
Speaker 7: It was just Friday, August ninth.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay? And it said what exactly what did is say?
Speaker 7: It says a change was made to your account. Call six to one one if you did not request a change Metro.
Speaker 2: And then you, and then you did you call them?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I called them when I realized my phone wasn't working anymore.
Speaker 2: And they said, your number is no longer yours.
Speaker 7: Right, My number was ported to somebody else or other. And It's what's weird is when I call my number or it goes to my voicemail, and whoever has it I've called several times doesn't even answer the phone or anything.
Speaker 2: Do they know it goes to your voicemail?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I told him I was just the Metro.
Speaker 2: Well, how how is Metro helping you? If anything? What are they doing to help you?
Speaker 11: They're not doing anything.
Speaker 7: They're saying too bad, They're basically not doing anything. I'm gonna call the police. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, the police aren't going to do anything.
Speaker 8: And I don't think su Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think this was a mistake. I can see no reason why anyone would want someone else's number unless it was something like you know, three h three Martino. And I'm not saying because of my name. What I mean is like we have some other numbers like seven seven to one help, or there are certain numbers people want, but I don't you know, like, uh, McKenzie, here is eight three three co plans eight three three co plans is his number for Colorado plans for a state planning. So but but your number just out of the blue, somebody took it. I think it was some kind of keying mistake. But for them not to help you or even look into it as ridiculous. So right now you're hold on is your cell phone literally dead?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I might have my cell phone, but there's no service on it. In other words, like you have a phone with no service?
Speaker 12: Theres you can't you know?
Speaker 5: Okay, if you call my phone right now and leave a messages, good, the.
Speaker 7: Message comes up, and you could leave a message. But I don't get the message. I can't access my message.
Speaker 2: Well I can't think. I thought you said you could get your voicemail. No, oh, you can't dial into your So you can't dial into your voicemail and change it.
Speaker 7: Oh no, the phone is in another name.
Speaker 2: The superca got it. So you found out the number was ported to someone else. Do you know who it was?
Speaker 7: Yes, they know, they can. It's it's a guy named Dave. I don'n't say his name.
Speaker 2: Dave Smith. David Smith, David Smith. With your phone number, and and and and they said, what do you need to do now? Did they say they they have a record of you? Right? What do they say you need to do right now?
Speaker 7: They say I need to Uh, they won't help me. They said they can't get into my account and I give them the you know, it goes by my phone number, like if you if when you log.
Speaker 11: In it's by my phone number.
Speaker 2: No. But what I'm asking is do they have a record of you paying a bill and being part of them?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 5: They do.
Speaker 2: Well, can they get you another phone if you wanted it? I'm not saying you want it, But if you said, listen, I need a phone. I need my phone turned back on, even with another number, would they do it?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 7: I already have a phone with another number. That's what I'm on now.
Speaker 2: Okay? Is that a metro phone or is it with someone else?
Speaker 7: I got it when I was at the store.
Speaker 2: Okay? Did they Okay, so they got you a new phone. Did you have to pay for a new phone?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 13: They charged me for everything?
Speaker 2: And what happened? Did you trade the old phone in or do you still have it?
Speaker 8: I still have it?
Speaker 2: And they had no solution for you other than a new phone with a new number. All right, hold on this. This is crazy that they would have a record of you and they don't have any kind of porting instructions. I don't understand this. Who wants to call? We got to call Metro or and team over or someone. And even if they don't want to talk about this particular issue, they need to talk to So we need to talk to someone who has some knowledge on how things are ported and how numbers can be lost. Anybody who I got you all in the house. Who would who? I'm gonna give it to Dollar. I'm gonna I'm looking up. No, No, I'm serious. Let's do that. What do you think Dollar? I want you to Let's try calling during the show if we can to see I am. I am baffled by this. I'm Tom Martino three oh three seven one three Talks three oh three seven one three eight two five five. By the way, waterpros dot net the best water systems at the lowest prices. If you want a water system in your home fourteen hundred dollars for all the drinking water waterpros dot Net three oh three eight six two five five five four Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel roofing dot Com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Three time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino here three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five eight eight eight Heating dot Com. Don't hesitate to call going into the fall here later on in a month or so, and then also right now for your heat. You can trust them. It's eight eight eight Heating dot Com for honest assessments and service three oh three seven seven zero two seven seven six seven seven zero two seven seven six. Now, people, let's go back to the phones. I believe Mark's with us now, Mark.
Speaker 14: Yeah, And by the way, YouTube Comcast is sending somebody out.
Speaker 2: It's all messed up? Man? Is it messed up in the whole DTC area.
Speaker 14: I couldn't tell you that they they said they're sending someone out. They're gonna be there in the next couple hours, so who knows.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that's why we're not on YouTube, So be patient. We're trying to get up and running as soon as possible. Now, Mark on that one guy that said he had sent in the money. Are you a believer now? Is this guy? Do you think?
Speaker 15: Well?
Speaker 14: He definitely, he definitely withdrew. He's getting evicted today, by the way, but he definitely withdrew from what he sent me. He definitely withdrew around thirty eight thousand dollars in a two day period. It was kind of a weird looking thing he sent me. I didn't have a bank name or anything like that, but I do I do think it was a print out that he got from someone at the branch. So I do believe he withdrew it. Whether or not he wrapped it in tinfoil and sent it, I just don't know. I mean, my god, can anybody on the planet be that damn stupid?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 2: It's serious? It's serious. And if this guy's going to be evicted, I mean, what do we do? I mean, he's out. Well, here's the other brand we can't put up six grand. Go ahead.
Speaker 14: Well, here's a whole other problem with it. It's not just putting it up to guy's got no job. So I mean, it's like, okay, we pay his rent. Are we gonna pay for his groceries, We're gonna buy him a car. We're gonna pay his rent next week. Oh it's terrible, It is just terrible.
Speaker 2: Now I want to speak about this, uh this in general. If you have older relatives, friends, neighbors, please please please ride them go check on him and make sure they're not doing anything stupid like that. Now, Metro PCs Jonathan, Just so you know, we're gonna give this to Deputy Dollar to make some phone calls. It can't be that easy to simply call and have somebody's number ported and then you're without service. At least you got another phone, you got another number, you're up in business. But they charged you for that, and you should have never been turned off to begin with. So you so you'll be hearing from Deputy Dollar. Now, Eric's got a problem. Oh no, Eric, you gotta hold on. Okay, I'm going to go back to you, but I got to take some people who have not been on yet, Bonnie, Bonnie, what's going on with you? Bonnie? Welcome to the show. Hi Tom, Hi Bonnie.
Speaker 10: I know your show and I find it interesting to get knowledge from it. And it's also fine and I've been listening since you came on the air.
Speaker 2: Wow. So what's going on with you, Bonnie?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 10: My problem is I moved out of this apartment before my doing thirtieth deadline.
Speaker 2: Okay, then, so before what? What deadline was it?
Speaker 10: June?
Speaker 2: Okay? All right?
Speaker 10: And the thrill Estate company which is BRC since for beware ripoff companies, they're charging me for July rent of twelve and forty dollars, which I didn't live there in July.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on, hold on. When you said you moved out before the deadline, was that the end of the lease?
Speaker 10: Well, they were renovating the apartments and okay.
Speaker 2: Well here's what I'm asking. Why did you move out? Let's just start there. Did they ask you to move?
Speaker 10: Yes, because they were going to renovate the apartment.
Speaker 2: Do you have that in writing? They asked you to move yes, okay, And they said you had to move by a certain.
Speaker 10: Date, yes, by June thirtieth, And you.
Speaker 2: Moved by June thirtieth, and you hand it in the key and all of that.
Speaker 10: Well, they're closed on June thirtieth, which was the Sunday. So I waited and turned in my key on Monday, which was the.
Speaker 2: First And what did they say to you?
Speaker 10: So now they're charging me this rent and utilities for July which was fortys Well.
Speaker 2: Hold on, but did they say to you it's because you turned in your key on Monday.
Speaker 10: No, they didn't give in any explanation. They just gave me a.
Speaker 2: Bill that but they know that you're out of there.
Speaker 10: Right, yes, And they're charging me for July land And then also they're charging me four hundred and fifty for a few items that I left. They were all packed up and I was going to donate them, but they I just left them in the apartment.
Speaker 2: That's why you didn't move out. That's what they're saying. They're saying you didn't move out. How much did you leave in the in the apartment?
Speaker 10: It was just a little bit, I mean, it would all tell me.
Speaker 2: What's a little bit. What is a little bit to a hoarder? A little bits a lot? What is a little bit about?
Speaker 10: Okay about maybe seven seven bags of stuff that would have only taken them ten minutes to take.
Speaker 2: But it's not their job to do that as far as they're concerned. Maybe I'm not look at I'm not arguing, and I want to try to help you. But they're thinking you didn't leave.
Speaker 10: Well, they knew I had met because I had turned in my cheet and everything, and I told them that, you know, I had, I was out of there. And then they're charging me like four hundred and fifty just to remove those few items. And then they're keeping my deposit, which is five hundred.
Speaker 2: Wait, so hold on, in addition to the rent, they're charging five hundred in addition to the rent.
Speaker 10: Of my deposit. That was my deposit five hundred.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now I'm asking another question that I need a very simple answer. Are they in addition to the twelve hundred, they want to keep five hundred for a total of seventeen hundred? Is that what I'm is that what I'm hearing it's a.
Speaker 10: Total of two thousand, one hundred and ninety.
Speaker 2: Okay, So they want the full rent, plus they want your deposit, plus they want cash. Is that right?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: For fisty, how can they have it both ways. They're charging you to move out those bags and they're charging you for some other stuff. Plus they're asking for the full rent.
Speaker 10: Yes, so it's a total of t ninety, which is and I think it's a great and because it's twelve forty the rent.
Speaker 2: Okay, go ahead, Bo. What did you want to say? Is his mic working?
Speaker 12: Hear Fannie, this is Deputy We gotta.
Speaker 2: Turn Okay, that Mike doesn't control that that Mike turn them on?
Speaker 12: Got me on? Yeah, go ahead, Fannie, this is Deputy Bo.
Speaker 16: You called in about three and a half four weeks ago regarding that.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait did you take that call? Did you take that?
Speaker 12: I know about it?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 16: It's about where Shiva is going to be. They were remodeling the entire apartment and they gave her a notice to vacate months in advance. And you had like ten or twelve boxes in the apartment and you had nowhere to go or.
Speaker 2: They gave her months to do this.
Speaker 12: I believe so. And Donnie, if you remember.
Speaker 2: I did, could you take the case then?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 2: And what did you find?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 16: They were at first, they were a little strong about it, but once I told them what was going on.
Speaker 2: They gave Vonnie. Uh, why you say Vonnie with a V? Is it Bonnie with a V as in Victor?
Speaker 13: Or?
Speaker 2: Is it Bonnie with a B? As a boy, I.
Speaker 12: Thought it was Bonnie. Ronnie. Do you remember me talking to you?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, got it, So it's v as in Victor. Yes, Okay, I'm sorry I was calling you Bonnie.
Speaker 16: Go ahead, okay, So Bonnie, they told me that they would give you an additional They found you an apartment because they're remodeling the whole complex, right, yes, so they probably what happened.
Speaker 2: Seventy six year old woman? I just found it? Go ahead?
Speaker 16: Yeah, so I thought they kind of went above and beyond because they were evicting the entire building.
Speaker 12: They gave everyone proper notice.
Speaker 16: But in your situation, they were able to find you a different place. And I think you had to have incurs some charges in that move, but you were able to stay in the complex without moving out.
Speaker 5: They told me that where are you now?
Speaker 2: Where are you now?
Speaker 10: Well, I'm in a different location, but they never told me that I would.
Speaker 2: Okay, Bonnie, listen, listen, Thank goodness, you're in another location. But bo said he had it worked out where it wasn't going to cost you this much and you would have been able to get in there. But here's what I want to tell you. It doesn't matter at this point. It truly doesn't matter because here's why. Don't pay it.
Speaker 5: Well, if you sent to collections, don't they what are they going to garnish?
Speaker 2: Tell me what your income is? Well, what's your income?
Speaker 10: You mean my total income? Of how much I get?
Speaker 2: I want to know sources of income? What are your sources of income?
Speaker 10: Well, I have income and enough to pay for my rent.
Speaker 2: Vonnie, I'm asking a question, what are the sources of your income?
Speaker 10: I have social security that can't.
Speaker 2: Be that can't be garnished. What else?
Speaker 10: And I have a pension that.
Speaker 2: I get And what is that pension from?
Speaker 10: It's from uh? Asking like the company?
Speaker 2: Is it from a job that you had?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, you get a pension of how much it's I'm asking this to help you, not to trick you.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I know it's about three something like that.
Speaker 2: And then you get social security of about how much?
Speaker 10: About four hundreds?
Speaker 2: Okay? You get nothing? Then you get and do you do you have a big bank account, big fat bank account? Well, I don't have.
Speaker 10: It's not big and fat, but.
Speaker 2: It's enough to how much is in it? I need to know about.
Speaker 5: Twenty five Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Okay, they're going to come after that. Then I was wrong when I told you they won't. They'll they'll try to get an attachment of that. You may have to wrap it up and foil and send it to me. I'm just kidding, by the way, Bonnie.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Well, then the TOD is tw and ninety for for.
Speaker 2: You know, just listen. You know, Deputy bo said this was a total misunderstanding. They were bending over backwards to get you into another place. They would have transferred your security deposit and all of that, and you said you didn't know it, and he talked to you about it.
Speaker 10: Well, he told me that he just told me that there was a place that I could move into that was low income. And then that was That was the extent of it. I didn't hear anything else, Bonnie.
Speaker 16: The property manager there was very nice. Her name was Amanda. She's the one that said that she would locate a place.
Speaker 10: Well, I never got that information. You never you never called me up and told me any information.
Speaker 2: Talking.
Speaker 16: Okay, it's fine, she said, she would find you a new place, and Amanda even tried to said you'd contact your sister and that they'd make the arrangements for you to move into him.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to tell her, Man, I don't think we can help her. If I can say this, we can we call them and see if they'll give her a break on the rent.
Speaker 12: Tom, That's what I want to do.
Speaker 16: I call Amanda the property manager and see if they can give you a break on this two thousand dollars charge.
Speaker 2: Let's just see if they'll do that for you. Okay, thank you very much, bo. But what I was trying to tell you is that switch doesn't control anything because there's nothing plugged in there. Okay, there you go anyway. So I'm sorry. Guys, some housekeeping here three O three seven one three eight two fivey five. We have more coming right up. Stick on the line. We'll stay with you. Coming up. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're contenth time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one. Help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino here three O three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. All right, why is Jonathan still on? Where Jonathan doesn't need to be on? Uh, we're getting at taken care of off the air, and then we have Heyes, who's hayes So you've got a plumbing issue? What's going on? Haesus? Are you there? Heesus?
Speaker 5: Hello?
Speaker 2: Dog on it. I want to help you here. I don't think he's on, right, I think I think I let's you check Shannon. I just put him on hold again.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now we're gonna go back to Eric first. I want to talk to Dan McKenzie COEO Plans dot Co and he's an estate planning attorney. If I had a dime for every time we have this frickin' question, i'd be rich. By the way, people aren't texting me on my Google Voice private message, it comes to my cell phone too, and you can text me there too. Okay, it is my number is okay, seven four seven fifty two eighty. That's where you can text me seven four seven nine nine fifty two eighty. Can I have you're ready? Can I have a handwritten will? If so, where do I keep it?
Speaker 17: It?
Speaker 2: Is there any special reason not to? Again, if I had a dime for every time we talked or a dollar? Dan? What about handwritten wills? Yes, you can have a handwritten will.
Speaker 18: Any document that evidence is testamentary intent, meaning it's a video.
Speaker 12: No, not video. It's got to be written.
Speaker 18: Oh got anywhere handwriting, it's got to be signed, it's got to be dated.
Speaker 2: This is a terrible idea.
Speaker 18: Do not do this, Okay, Why the chance that you can comprehensively write out everything you really need to include in a will in your handwriting? Like, I mean, it's just ridiculous. Yeah, you're not going to think of everything. And if you're going to do corrections, and I mean, it's going to be a mess, and who's going to be able to read it?
Speaker 2: And it's just going to be a lot easier to case somebody. It's obvious somebody doesn't want to hire an attorney, which for a simple will sounds to me ridiculous. But they could theoretically get a word doc and sign it. Yes, if it's it's got to be.
Speaker 18: If it's not in their handwriting, then it's got to either be notorized or witness preferably both.
Speaker 2: The hard copy.
Speaker 18: Yet yeah, yeah, because the reason the handwriting works is because you know, you can do a handwriting analysis and prove whether it's the person who actually wrote it.
Speaker 2: Still has to be signed though.
Speaker 18: Yeah, a word doc you can't do that, so we gotta have more evidence that you actually did it. And that comes to the witnesses of a notarise.
Speaker 2: And why is this fear about wills? I mean, if somebody calls and says, you know, I'm married and I have two grown kids, and I don't own a lot, and what's going to be a simple will? Can you give them an estimate? Dan, because people always want to know. Yeah, I mean, just go, okay, give me the I'll bet you this. We can't say how high wills go because you could have a complicated estate, but i'll bet you we can say you've done some pretty basic wills. So what what's the low on a pretty basic, and again people don't expect it if you don't have a pretty basic will. But let's just hear the low end.
Speaker 18: I mean, so usually we include powers of attorney, other documents too that you need for other situations besides death, which are more likely more likely than death, so you got to deal with those things too, or we're doing all that stuff, you know, for a single person. If it really is straightforward, no trust planning, it could be a little less than a thousand bucks you can do. You know, you can find stuff online that is cheaper. But the problem we see is.
Speaker 2: Not for a thousand bucks, you get an attorney and get it all the way.
Speaker 18: I mean, people do not know what makes a mistake complicated or what's going to make it hard to administer.
Speaker 2: What does make it complicated? Tell me some of the things that would make it more than normal.
Speaker 18: You know, when you're dealing with anything outher than cash. Our biggest problems are with real estate. And it's not like fancy real estate. It's like a house that people are fighting over that people that want to live in, or you know, somebody wants to keep, or personal property.
Speaker 2: There's like beneficiary deeds that automatically move to the person on.
Speaker 18: I like them when they were giving a house to one person. You're throwing people into co ownership of real estate together, and they did.
Speaker 2: Not good idea. Owning a house of their spouse is hard. So if you if you want to do a beneficiary ded to three or four people, you will. I think that's a bad idea.
Speaker 18: They are there is no way to resolve disputes. They are coequal.
Speaker 2: We got another one coming in on this, okay, so hang on. That's Dan McKenzie McKenzie law. He'll be here for the show. H And Rhanna Rhanna, I think it's Rhiannon. We're going to take you right after this along with Eric.
Speaker 7: Eric.
Speaker 2: If you have patience, I will go back to you, but I do have to give for time. First time of owlers go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies. Find out now three O three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with REMAC Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, you're a troubleshooter three all three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five Rhianna And what's going on with you? Rhiannony?
Speaker 15: So we have an issue. We're an electrical contractor and we made a return to one of our supply houses. It was a large return back July of last year. And July of last year we made the return. They didn't start issuing the credits and complete any of the credits till September.
Speaker 2: So how did they normally do it? How do they normally do it?
Speaker 15: Every other supply house does it the same day.
Speaker 2: But have you ever dealt with this supply or before with a refund?
Speaker 10: Not?
Speaker 15: Typically. There was one other instance, probably three or four years ago. Or we returned two items and it took them three months to actually record Bill's items. They returned the house.
Speaker 2: I think of a return, is this.
Speaker 15: One about thirteen thousand?
Speaker 2: Okay? Is that considered large?
Speaker 15: Yeah? For us, that was a large return, okay?
Speaker 2: And why would I'm just asking these basics because they're going to probably ask, they're going to probably challenge it or something. Why did you return it?
Speaker 15: By the way, Rhanna, we were during COVID, we just could barely get our hands on anything. So we're buying a stock supply of stuff.
Speaker 13: Just so we could operate.
Speaker 2: And then is there a restocking fee for doing it?
Speaker 15: I was fully expecting that we would have a restocking fee, because.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like they were financing you for free.
Speaker 15: Right right, and I'm planning to paint a restocking fee. My problem was they gave us a three thousand dollars credit and half of the items aren't on the return.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, Wait a minute, So you returned them actually when.
Speaker 15: July second and you didn't get.
Speaker 2: And then you only got three grand? Yes, but when did you get the three grand in September? Now did they did they say that's it or is more coming?
Speaker 15: No, they said we returned the last item.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, wait wait, wait, So why is there a ten thousand dollars discrepancy?
Speaker 15: That's what we're trying to figure out.
Speaker 2: Are they saying that, Okay, when you give the list of what your return and how did you return it? Did you ship it or did you know?
Speaker 15: The first thing that we did we sent an email to them saying, hey, we're going to come down and bring these returns. Please let's let us know there'd be an issue with this is what we're bringing down and returning to you. And it had all the item codes, the numbers, description, everything. We brought it down, went over it with the manager. And when we went over it with the manager, he walked through everything and he goes, the only issue we might have is this wire because this was special order from Vegas.
Speaker 13: I'll let you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, So how much was that?
Speaker 15: So the only thing we got wet about it?
Speaker 2: He said there he said, there may be a problem with one item. How much was that item?
Speaker 15: We could be like a thousand or two?
Speaker 2: All right, So that still doesn't make up for the ten grand. Hold on a second, I just don't understand you were in You were in a supply Okay. A deputy bow is in business, dealt with suppliers all the time, an HVAC business. We'll talk to him. Also, we have a lot more coming up. Stick around, go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer, Excel Roofing dot Com. You don't pay a cent until you're contenth time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance Paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies. Find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty.
Speaker 1: Two Ripped up.
Speaker 10: News.
Speaker 1: You need advice so you don't have.
Speaker 10: Come run in just as fast as a cam.
Speaker 1: Shooter's gonna help.
Speaker 2: Come man, This is the Troubleshooter Show. Now Tom Martino, Hi, Tom Martino here and welcome to the show. Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five to five. This hour brought to you by Genesis Tootalexteriors dot Com. If you want this aligned siding, it's a composite siding, indestructible, you can do it. And if you have hail damage, they can substitute this for that old, ugly vinyl with no up charge at all. Hey call them for this or anything else on the exterior of your home. Three oh three six seven nine eight five zero nine, Genesis, tootal Exteriors dot Com. Let's say now Jr has a comment on the phone scam. I don't know which phones, oh, but also Rhiannon. We need to finish with Rihanna, and then I have Jeremy on from Compass to answer a question. And that we have I'm gonna take Jeremy first because it's real quick. Jeremy, Compass Insurance Group, by the way, home of the insurance check up. If you call and say, hey, we're going to you know, we're going to compare you to like twenty five twenty six companies, see if you're not paying too much too little, and if you have what's the matter?
Speaker 12: Tomo WiFi just came up.
Speaker 2: Oh it did. It's so we are on YouTube now or what? Okay, it is coming up though. That's good. So we're going to be connected to YouTube soon. Thanks for telling me anyway. So anyway, so Jeremy, thank you for being here. By the way, I just want to say something. You're doing insurance comparisons. As always, We've never said ever that Compass will have the cheapest, lowest cost insurance. Ever. It used to be about eighty five percent of the time, you could probably beat the regular carriers about eighty five percent. I think that. I think I talked to Brian and he's that it's more like seventy five percent now because things are so competitive and so expensive that really insurance is going out of sight. But it's still worth it's still worth checking.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, yeah, And a lot.
Speaker 17: Of times it might not beat the rate, but we're getting the replacement costs back on the roof where.
Speaker 2: Stuff like that. And also right, yeah, I just want to say that because I got a text today saying, you know, they couldn't beat it, they're not the cheapest, and I say, well, I never said that. I said it's always wise to compare, even if you find out, because Jeremy, you'll tell you, hey, guys, you got a great thing here, keep it going anyway. So having said that, I got a question that I never even thought of before. If somebody got involved in a moving scam with their homeowner's insurance extend to stuff lost in a moving scam or when they're moving, does homeowners stop when you move out? I mean, how does that work if you still have a policy.
Speaker 17: What are you talking about for personal property?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yes, for your when you're moving.
Speaker 17: Yes, yeah, your personal property can extend. So if you kept the policy active, personal property could extend. Most companies will limit it to ten percent off premise. So let's say you're moving and you kept your old policy in force. Yeah, there absolutely could be.
Speaker 2: Really, so what about when it shows up at the new place and stuff is damage, that's what you're talking about, that would be considered off premises coverage.
Speaker 17: Yeah, and the damage can get a little tricky depending on because it needs to be a covered peril on their policy.
Speaker 2: What about dropping something?
Speaker 17: It could be Yeah, I mean, it definitely could be covered. The problem is how much is it worth. And you know, a specific item might not be worth putting a claim in. But if they were scammed, let's say someone took off with their stuff, it was stolen. Yeah, most policies are going to limit. So if they had one hundred thousand in personal property, you know it'd be ten thousand in coverage off premise.
Speaker 2: But there is some coverage.
Speaker 3: There could be.
Speaker 17: Yeah, most of the time they're going to have at least ten percent, if not more.
Speaker 2: Do you have to tell your company you're moving if my policy is expiring at the end of the year. Do I have to tell them a moving.
Speaker 8: You do need to tell them you're moving.
Speaker 17: Yeah, it doesn't force you to cancel the policy. But for a homeowner's policy, there's there would be no reason you would keep it. You know, if you were moving into like renting a place, you just get a renters no, no.
Speaker 2: I get that. But if I'm moving, I'm in flux? Do I keep it in force until I get to my new place?
Speaker 5: Do you want to either have the old policy.
Speaker 2: Enforce or the new payse all right?
Speaker 17: Or a renter's policy if it's an extended move.
Speaker 2: But if it's not renting, and if it's moving from a home to a home, let's say moving from Denver to Florida, is there something specifically I could get for the move?
Speaker 17: There really is anything we have. There might be some sort of supplement out there.
Speaker 2: But yeah, usually they're bad.
Speaker 17: My insurance to do is to keep that policy in force till they got to the new place, or if they closed on the new house and that policy was active before they moved, the new policy could also do the same thing.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. That's the Insurance Health Center or Compass Insurance Group three h three nine thousand, nine nine six, nine thousand. Now let's go back to Rhann and Rihann and on this this supplier. Okay, here's what we need to know. You you returned stuff to them, and they gave you only three thousand dollars credit on a ten thousand dollars excuse me, on a thirteen thousand dollars return. Did they say to you? Do they even acknowledge the items you return? That's or are they differing in value? Like do they say yes, Rhann, and we show here that you return this, this, this, this, this or not.
Speaker 10: They know?
Speaker 15: What they show is that they returned. They said they returned the items. We said that there's a whole bunch here that we you guys did not check in this return to you, right, and then that manager quit and all the only thing we can get them or their attorneys to say is we return the items.
Speaker 2: Like, no, here's all the I mean, they refunded the money. You return the items. They refunded the money.
Speaker 15: I'm part of the items, but not all of them.
Speaker 2: Holy crap. Is there any receipt? Do you get a receipt when you return stuff? I mean, I don't know how you approve it.
Speaker 15: They never, they never, That's what we're up against.
Speaker 2: Or have you looked this? Have you looked this up to see if other people have the same complaint with this supplier.
Speaker 10: That's what I was coming to you.
Speaker 15: I don't know if maybe.
Speaker 2: You'll find out BO. Why do you think BO? Having been in the business dealing with a bunch of suppliers a long time, what do you think I've had.
Speaker 16: Good luck with electrical and mechanical suppliers for forty years.
Speaker 12: I want to know who is the supplier you are dealing with?
Speaker 15: Ces in Littleton?
Speaker 2: Cees in Littleton?
Speaker 15: Is that Colorado Electric Supply, City Electric Supply?
Speaker 16: Well, if you want, you have a contact name there that you've been dealing.
Speaker 15: With Robert Coe. But he doesn't work there anymore, and he.
Speaker 5: Was the BO.
Speaker 2: We should talk to him. And I'm not accusing them of anything. Maybe they maybe that maybe that Robert Coe was fishy, maybe he did something squirrely.
Speaker 12: We'll make some calls.
Speaker 5: Me.
Speaker 15: My biggest question, the item sat there for two months before you return them. How did they not accidentally go into their inventory?
Speaker 2: That what I'm saying, So let let I'm going to let BO look into this and we'll see what we can find out. I'm we can't have anyone better. He's been in the business and dealt with all these suppliers, so Ran and He'll be in touch with you. Hold on and make sure we have your contact information. Three all three seven on three eight two five five Jar. What is your comment on what phone scam are you talking about? Jr?
Speaker 19: Tom Just you just had the guy on where they stole his number.
Speaker 2: It happens all the time now, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Mobile check this out his phone number.
Speaker 2: His phone number was ported. Why would they want his phone number?
Speaker 19: Let me let me tell you. Give me twenty seconds. So they send you a code. Uh, dial this number six one one. We've got a problem with your phone number. Blah blah blah. They get the information, they get into your phone, They get the information. Now they got your number. They've shut off your phone. Now they can get any information they want. People that call you your credit cards checking up on you. They send you the six digit code. Now they type in that code. Now they got information on your credit card.
Speaker 17: Your kah.
Speaker 2: But that's if they have everything else. In addition to that saying, if they have your log in and you do secondary verification. They can get that secondary code.
Speaker 19: Absolutely, and they're they're they're shutting off your number, but they actually have total access to your number. Your mom calls you, your bank calls you, your credit your whatever emails to you. Yeah, it's a new scam that they're doing, and it usually only happens to like the sub phones like Metro PCs. I have key Mobile and I actually got one yesterday.
Speaker 2: And of course, what do you do.
Speaker 19: You don't log on, You just close it out, don't call these people back, because now they have your info and they have control of your phone.
Speaker 2: So this guy do you think this guy wasn't even talking to Metro. Oh no, he went to the store. Nevermind.
Speaker 19: But but right right, he went into the store. But there's nothing you can do it according to Metro numbers on.
Speaker 2: But right now, right now that they have they don't have his phone, they have his number. What can they do to him right now?
Speaker 19: Anything that comes in phone calls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't ever get anything that would expose me to anything. I mean, even if I did get a call from my doctor. I don't normally do that either. Actually I don't. I actually don't get calls. You have to call them, and then you have to give verifying information to people or you go online. I've never had a call where since somebody would want sensitive information from me. Legitimately, it happened.
Speaker 20: It happens.
Speaker 2: I just give me an idea, I mean, I'm not trying to disagree with you on purpose. Give me an idea of why if someone had my cell phone number, my number, I can't think of one phone call they would get they would get, not make that they would get that would expose me.
Speaker 19: I'm trying to explain to you right now. Capital One gets a hold of David Smith, but they're really they're really TechEd your guy's name. Yes, could you enter your last four?
Speaker 2: They never do that. Capital One will never ever text you saying enter this information.
Speaker 5: They don't.
Speaker 19: That's what I'm saying, Tom, it's a fraudulent thing that's happening.
Speaker 2: So you're saying that he'll believe it because it's fishing. It's just a phishing scheme.
Speaker 19: It's fishing, absolutely, and it only takes what one in one hundred, one in a thousand.
Speaker 2: But still, Jr. You really didn't answer the question. Here's what I'm asking. Okay, Mark has my cell phone? Number right now, and it's poured it to his phone. Capital one is not going to text me.
Speaker 14: Oh man, I could do no, no, no, Listen in that scenario, Well, I have control of your phone number, right, I can do all kinds ofs like what Mark, Well, I mean with banks like our bank ANB sometimes he'll send us a text his secondary So if I tried to get into your account and they want to authorize it by sending a text.
Speaker 2: But Mark, you're assuming though that the person you happen to know all my stuff. But you're assuming that someone who would have gotten my number knows where I bank, and they at least know user names and all of that.
Speaker 14: Right, Well, yeah, you'd have to know some information. But my point is if you have control over someone's phone a lot of secondary authentications. That's just a text message with a force that's digit code.
Speaker 2: That's true, absolutely, and you would receive all those that's right. If you or if you want to change a password. As Shannon said, that's right, But normally you need more than just the phone number port it to your phone to get their texts and stuff. You need somehow other information about that person, right JR. I mean that's what I would say, so I get what you're saying. Mark, You're right. We had some cases here on the show where someone's phone was hacked.
Speaker 14: Well, like if I had your phone and I could get into your phone, then I can go into your email, see where you bank.
Speaker 2: That's true. But they didn't take his phone. They just took his number. Yeah.
Speaker 14: Well that's a little different because they just have control.
Speaker 2: But they will receive any texts, that's right. They will. But I can't think of any text that would think of one right here.
Speaker 14: Let's say he is someone else has his phone number, and he goes to his online banking and he no longer gets it because he doesn't have access to that phone number. When he tries to get it, it's going to send it to his phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then they would still have to have the username and password. Yeah, they'd have to have other stuff as well. Okay, we got more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Go with a sure Thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call company insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies. Find out now three oh three seven seven to one. Help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino here three oh three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five to five. All right, things to comcasts doing a service call and then Mark getting on as on the YouTube thing.
Speaker 5: We're on.
Speaker 2: We're back on.
Speaker 9: So we're feeding commercials during the break my fault.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, you are feeding commercials. From now on, people will talk, so you're backup. We're back up. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five. Uh Kaschina get Ranynan's Rhiannon's uh contact info for Bo. He's going to take that. And then we have U Bob with his con crete driveway issue and affordable Let's see who's first, Bob. I think Bob was first. I'm going to go back to Eric. Eric, you have to understand these callers had problems. We had to call. We have to follow up. I promise you you're on my radar here man, Just Bob, what's going on with your driveway? Did you call in yesterday? Mark was doing the show yesterday. Oh it's me, hold on, it's me, gotcha. Okay, there you are, Bro?
Speaker 21: Sorry so well, but no Mark as me to go look at a driveway. Well, the guy sent me a picture.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. You're Bob from l em got it? Okay, Mark, what was the issue? Do you remember? Yeah?
Speaker 14: It was pretty simple. Older guy in his eighties had a guy come out. They were going to powerwash his driveway and then put some kind of coding on it and make it look good. In a couple of days after it was done, it started crumbling. Okay, so what did you find, Bob?
Speaker 21: Well, I didn't even have to go out. He send me a picture. It should have never been done, is all I did was put a painting thing over they they ripped him off, was what they did from the whole driveway and needs replaced.
Speaker 5: It's not bad.
Speaker 21: It should have never been there.
Speaker 2: What did they charge him for this so called coding or sealer?
Speaker 21: Well, I'm not sure because I mentioned something like fifteen or two agoes a. It was way more than that. But they ripped him off his driveway needed to replace what was.
Speaker 2: The name mark? Do you remember the name of the company. I'd have to look. No, I don't think I do, man, I think.
Speaker 21: I know they had They had a bunch of numbers, but they're all just connected.
Speaker 2: Oh no, so, Bob, how big of a driveway is it? It was Anderson. I just looked it up.
Speaker 14: It was Anderston Construction and sure enough, any phone number we have for him is gone.
Speaker 2: Okay, how long ago did he have it done? Bob? Do you know.
Speaker 21: I probably had a recently done. I don't remember. Pretty pretty realm.
Speaker 2: And it's a it was a coding is that what they sold as? They power washed it. Then they put a coating on it.
Speaker 21: Yeah, they And they didn't even put an overlap mark or tom or whichever one. Yeah, they put a paint on it. It's the third one, part one I've seen now where they pay it and try to tell you if it's a concrete thing, and the gentleman says, you tried doing this other patch. Well that pats isn't even failing. But it was a true patch. But his library is so bad you could there's no way to fix it.
Speaker 2: I mean and we can't find this and construction probably now according to.
Speaker 14: Mark, it's a total ripoff man. They might as well grab the can of spray paint. That's Bob. I appreciate. I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Going and look at jobs for us, though there's a lot of ripoff man. Do you notice that Bob in the concrete business people?
Speaker 21: Oh, Ton Ton, and you and I have had this conversation, you know people. Matter of fact, I was going to tell you I just ran into another job to stay the concrete man did and I didn't go talk to the people. Well, I was by the the other day and it's already starting to play, and so I'm sure you'll be get a call from maybe from.
Speaker 2: By the way, Sam. The concrete Man is a franchise, it's not a man, and there is no Sam or locally. But the guy that used to have the franchise here years ago was on our list and he did a pretty good job. But this new guy we're getting complaints about. He's not on the list. He's not on referral list dot com and he doesn't deserve to be, thank you. That's Bob l. E. M. Landscaping, and he he is on referral list dot com. So Dan McKenzie is with us from McKenzie Law Co Plans dot co for trust and probate and and wills and all those matters. Now, Dan, you had mentioned there's nothing wrong with the beneficiary's deed. By the way, if you're going to leave your home to someone, to a person, because what happens is that death, it goes, it transfers outside of probate. Is that right, it's out, it's outside of probate, right. Okay, So if there are leans against the estate, not against the house, but bills, can they force someone who gets that home through a beneficiaries deed? Can they force someone to tap that equity to pay those bills or to sell the house?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 18: I mean the credit claims against the estate to go through the probate process.
Speaker 2: And yeah, so a beneficiaries deed does have its benefits.
Speaker 18: Correct, I mean, now a mortgage or a lean security against the house, the course has to be repaid, right right, Yeah, Other debts have.
Speaker 2: Mechanics lean on the house maybe right right now? Then this question was texted to me, and again I'm reminding you you can text me at my number and it's a seven four seven, And this one was saying if you mentioned it can get complicated if you do a beneficiaries deed to two or more people, because those people then may argue amongst themselves who owns water, what's responsibility is? Or if they want to sell it, do they want to keep it? Do they want to to rent it? What if you had an LLC, you left it to in a beneficiaries deed and the members of the LLC had an operating agreement? Is that far fetched?
Speaker 18: Trus That can be a great We do that sometimes with like vacation properties that people want to keep in the house or in the family family. Yeah, because the same problem when kid lives in Florida, It's like I don't go skiing. You're in Colrado. You go skiing all the time. Why am I paying for the HWOA two? Is you pay them right? So you can have an operating agreement.
Speaker 2: That kind of shows that if you say to your kids or your to your nephews or nieces, here's the LLC. In order to get your share, you have to agree to this operating agreement. If they agree to it, then then they all have that percentage of vote. So if they want to change it in the future. They can, but at least they have something to go off of, they have something to work around. Yep, that's a cool idea. Can that also be done with a trust? Can you leave it to a trust through a beneficiary deed? You can? I mean there's probably no reason too if you have a trust right, because then it goes to the trust any.
Speaker 18: Correct, And the issue there is just like you know, a trust has a trustee, the operating agreement. The reason it's so great, it's just because you can have the shares, you can have votes among people, like you can buy people out. A trust obviously has a lot of benefits, but it's like you've got one person in charge and it's not real clear how they deal with conflicting.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, we have more coming up. Three Ozho three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. Renew Home Innovations will go a beautiful bathroom for you, uh, the shower. Specifically, they convert that old ugly shower tub combo, you know those big tubs you got to step into in the curtains and all that crap. They can make a beautiful rectangle shower perimeter drains, no thresholds, walk or stumble over and glass panels a stone walls with no stone resin, with no maintenance. They can do it in two or three days with seventy two months to pay, honest to goodness, no interest renew Home Innovations dot com three oh three nine zero four two thousand, Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out Now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank Durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, your troubleshooter three o three seven to one three talk seven one three eight two five five. Marcus, what's going on with you? Marcus? Marcus, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Uh so it's Marcos. But yeah, good.
Speaker 2: Afternoon, Marcos.
Speaker 3: I was trying to see I'm trying to vict me a guy from one of my rentals up in Greedy, Yeah, and he's behind. I gave him a notice to quit on five three, twenty four and with him promised me, promising me he's going to catch up with the rest.
Speaker 2: You know, listen, is he on a year's lease or is it just month to month?
Speaker 3: It's on a month's month.
Speaker 2: Now, it's going to be easy for you to a victim. I mean, just go through the eviction. What what? What is? What am I not hearing?
Speaker 21: Okay?
Speaker 2: I just in other words, if he's not paying Marcos, if he's not paying, it's a very easy process. Now I would recommend you get an attorney to do it, just so you you dot all the i's and cross all the t's and you can add that to the bill. But what were you hoping we would tell you the step by step process. We could, but it's not going to do you any good if you don't know what you're doing. You got to get a notice. You got to give him notice depends on how long he's there is how much advance notice you have to give him, and then you have to wait for that to expire. Then you have to go to a hearing. You have to get an order for eviction and then you have to serve that on him, and then if he doesn't leave, then you go get a rid of execution to move his stuff. It's it's it's their several steps. Okay, Now have you ever you've you've never had to evict anyone before.
Speaker 3: No, this is the first time.
Speaker 2: So how long have you been a landlord?
Speaker 3: About ten years?
Speaker 2: God, you're lucky.
Speaker 3: Ten years on two. Yeah, he's he's been there for seven years. He just got back behind in October. And I've been giving him a chance ever since October of last year.
Speaker 2: So would he leave voluntarily? Do you think?
Speaker 3: Well, that's what I'm kind of hoping. I talked to him Sunday and I told him I'll give him until this coming Sunday to get out or come up with all the money and we'll redo another leash or something like that.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 3: Now, I mean, for the most part, he's been a good tenant except for since October.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, you may want to just what you do is have him pay current rent and then make payments towards the pass rent unless you just want to get rid of him, and to get rid of him is going to cost you a minimum with an attorney of about five hundred bucks, maybe a thousand. I don't think a thousand unless he tries to go to court and fight this. But you don't think he'll do that, do you.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. But this past Sunday, when I went to go put a key box on there so I could start showing the house to other people, he really got offended and started yelling and cussing and started telling.
Speaker 2: Me that listen, you better not let that go on too long. Okay, I mean, seriously, I wish you the best, bro. I mean, it's it's terrible when these things happen. It really is. It's the one downside, you know, to being a landlord is the eviction when you have to get rid of people. Now, this, uh, Denet and this roof damage? What's going on? Net? What's happening?
Speaker 8: Hi?
Speaker 2: Denet?
Speaker 19: Hey, how are you?
Speaker 2: What's happening?
Speaker 13: I'm doing okay, I'm not too sure my next steps and process I am. I've been having a few roofers come out to do some estimates on my roof because I found the claim was denied, which is fine.
Speaker 2: I got why wait wait, why was it denied. Did you have hail damage?
Speaker 13: I did not have significant and that hail damage a year ago.
Speaker 2: So it was denied totally. Yes, Okay, so then what.
Speaker 13: So then here we are, you know, a year later, next summer, and I'm doing some estimates to figure out what's going to cost me out of pocket and had a total of seven different roofers come out.
Speaker 2: How many seven? Seven? Wow?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 13: As of Monday, I had two roofers come out, do an inspection, submit photos, no hail damage, no wind damage, no missing shingles. As of yesterday, I had affordable house or affordable roofing Colorado come out and I have several missing shingles and now I have wind damage.
Speaker 2: Okay, where are you located.
Speaker 13: In Loveland, Colorado?
Speaker 2: Why don't you just get a good roofer and call it a day.
Speaker 13: Yes, and I believe I have one, but I had to get a few quotes.
Speaker 2: And who I would say, Why don't you call Excel Roofing. I think they go to Loveland. I actually don't know. I mean we do. Yeah, thanks Mark, And they're the best man. They'll give you an estimate and never you'll never you can take it to the they'll tell you if it's damage, how it's damaged, how much it's going to cost, exactly what it's going to cost. And they're not going to take a penny from you, not a penny until it's done. Think about that.
Speaker 13: No, that's totally good. I'm just I'm kind of sucking to rock in a herdspot now because I'm pretty sure Affordable Roofing took shingles off my roof.
Speaker 2: Oh wait a minute, Wait a minute. If you're going to have your roof replaced, why do you care? First of all, and I'm not sure they did. But even if they did, I mean, how many roofing shingles are missing? For God's sakes, It can't be that many that they pulled off.
Speaker 13: So far in the pictures, I see eight.
Speaker 2: Well that's not a big deal. What do you have an asphalt roof? Yes, why would they There would be no reason for them to pull eight shingles off.
Speaker 14: Didn't you guys have a pretty good storm the other day?
Speaker 13: We did, But the storm was last night, just after he had got done with his estimate. So he came yesterday at about eleven thirty and was up there for less than five minutes, came down, so I had hail damage.
Speaker 5: We had.
Speaker 2: What's the big deal is what I'm asking you, Whether if you get a good roofer, if you have hail damage, they'll help you, they'll give you the evidence. If you don't have hail damage, but you still have an old roof. How old is your roof.
Speaker 13: As at least twenty years old?
Speaker 2: So you want to replace it no matter what, whether you have hail damage or not. Is that right?
Speaker 13: Well, of course, But I don't want somebody going up there and taking shingles off.
Speaker 2: I don't either. I don't either, and I think it's wrong if they did it. But I can see no motivation for them to do that at all. It's not even worth their time to take eight shingles off. I mean, what I'm saying is that's not neither here nor there. It's not going to do any damage right now. If you're going to get your roof replaced, get it replaced, those eight shingles will be replaced. It didn't cost you extra because they removed eight shingles. What I'm saying is I understand why you're upset, but there's no reason to chase after them for eight shingles. I mean, really, there's not just don't hire these idiots and move on. And I really, Dan, I mean it's really easy. Call Excel Roofing. I'm serious. Now you can call someone else and then you'll be calling us about the problem, because if any other roofer wants a dime from you before they start, that's an automatic no for me. Okay, So if you want to call Excel, it's easy. Excel roofing dot com. They don't collect assent until you're content. They will look and give you an honest opinion and a complete contract in writing. Three oh three seven sixty one sixty four hundred. That's the easy solution. And I get that you're upset with that other company. I get it, and I would be two. But if you're replacing it, it's not going to make a big difference. Three oh three seven sixty one sixty four hundred for excel roofing dot com. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up, free no obligation comparison call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one.
Speaker 5: Help.
Speaker 2: You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot Com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Guy Tom Martino, your troubleshooter three O three seven one three talk three oh three seven one three eight two five five. All right, now we have Alex. Oh no, no, I already try. I already told Alex what to do, didn't I take Alex about? No? No, that's as this is somebody else. Sorry, Alex. Did you hear the other call about evicting?
Speaker 9: Hey, sir, yes, I unfortunately had to hop off the radio in the car before I chanced to hear what was going.
Speaker 2: Well, anyway, somebody else asked about evicting, and is that what you want to do? You want to evict someone?
Speaker 9: Well, I'm actually currently in the eviction process. My property management company here in the Colorado Springs actually just posted the fourteenth day notice today on the door for the notice of non compliance for all the.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're having your property managers do it through an attorney.
Speaker 9: Probably they handled it themselves. They went down themselves and posted the notice on the door. They put the original notice down on the first of the month, and then fourteenth days later today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't, you don't really need you don't really need an attorney if you know how to do it. So what is your question?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 21: Absolutely so.
Speaker 9: My only concern is that so he the tenant, does have a trust that was his income verification to be able to you know, qualify for my home, and he has been having them pay the and directly about a week before the first every month, which has been great. However, after the extensive damage she's caused the home, it's going to be a few tens of thousands of dollars unfortunately that he was able to accomplish within three months.
Speaker 2: Of living there.
Speaker 9: My concern, my concern is when the eviction, because they're going to do the inspection today and he's definitely not within compliance of everything that needed to be done, and so they'll start the eviction process.
Speaker 5: With that being said, he's not going.
Speaker 9: To be able to pay for these things out of pocket and become compliance. So they're going to start.
Speaker 8: The eviction process with.
Speaker 9: The level of money that he's going to need to spend to repair the property.
Speaker 5: My question is you know how that will.
Speaker 9: Work as far as if they're you know, being sticklers and saying they don't want to pay it and go on to.
Speaker 2: Hold on and we'll go through that. Since it involves a trust, we'll ask Dan McKenzie as well. Hang on, go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent till you're content. Leave time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two yea.
Speaker 1: Ripped of news need advice?
Speaker 5: Who you don't have?
Speaker 1: Run anxious stas as a cam shooter's gonna help come man.
Speaker 2: Six is the Troubleshooter Show Now Tom Martino, Hey Tom Martino, Your troubleshooter three all three seven one three talk three all three seven one three eight two five five This hour brought to you by waterpros Dot, the finest water systems man for the lowest prices, and we're talking about computerized state of the art from Paul the waterman at waterpros dot and at three three eight six two five five five four. He'll never pay less for a better system ever. Three o three eight six two five five five four. Now let's talk about your problems, questions and complaints again. Alex is trying to evict someone and it's weird. He wants to know can he hold the trust available? So we have Dan McKenzie with us for McKenzie Law, and I asked, I asked him off the air Alex. I said, Hey, Alex says the rent was being paid by a trust and now he's got a lot of damages and he knows the guy has no money, so can he go after the trust for the damages? And Dan asked the first question, did the trust sign the lease or did Alex signed? Or excuse me, did the tenant sign it individually?
Speaker 9: That's a great question. I will double check, but I believe it was the tenant individually the trust. Just from when I talked to the leasing agency a couple of days ago before today's inspection. They told me that the when they pulled up the payment history, it appears as though the trust makes the payments directly about a week before the first of each month. So that's all I know about their involvement. And as far as contact information, they just have the trust email relationship.
Speaker 2: What is his relationship to the trust? I mean, he may be a trustee, what what do you know what his relationship.
Speaker 9: Is the Only thing that was really shared with me is him being some form of a beneficiary to the trust. He's an implant from Las Vegas. They did his typical you know, background checks all I guess stuff, said that his trust had more than enough money to cover you know, deposits and rent, so he's qualified.
Speaker 2: He moved to Vegas as.
Speaker 9: A single person out here into my property. He's been there for about three months and he's on a year long lease and rent's been coming in on time. But with the neighbors calling telling me they were concerned about dogs locked outside in ninety degree heat for a week with no food or water, and that he had just disappeared about you could go, oh wait.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, is he gone? Right now? Is he gone?
Speaker 5: So he just got back.
Speaker 9: I went by the property. He had been gone for about a week and a half. My leasing agency called him and said, hey, your dogs are dying in the yard. You need to let us get access to his property to help these dogs. We're going to call animal services. He came up with some long story.
Speaker 2: Did you help the dogs? Did you help them? Yees?
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So he did change the locks to the door so I couldn't get in. Luckily, he gave us the code to the locks he put on, which again was is breaching the contract because he also boarded up all the gates. So I did get into the property with his permission, got the dogs, fed them, gave them water, let them inside, took care of them. And then we had a animal service post and notice on his door because he says he's trapped in Vegas over the last week and he doesn't know when he'll get home. Post of notice saying if you don't get the dogs in twenty four hours, we will come retrieve them. I do believe they retrieve the animals. However, today is the fourteenth day with them.
Speaker 2: How much damage are we talking about. You'll get the eviction, no problem, but I don't know about the damagers. How much damage we talked.
Speaker 9: About, well, roughly probably around fifteen twenty thousand the garage so is beyond repair the laj McKenzie beyond repair Kinsey law.
Speaker 2: What do you think can because they were paying the rent, that doesn't kind of make them responsible for damages? Doesn't? The trust? Probably not?
Speaker 18: The trust probably, I mean it sounds like the trust is set up for him by someone else that probably contains something saying don't pay his creditors with it. So he's certainly threatened it. I mean, you know, he's threatening a lawsuit and see what happens. I don't know if you've seen that trust agreement. Probably not, but that is going to be a big determinant of you what's possible.
Speaker 2: Do you think this guy even cares?
Speaker 9: I guess that was just that was just My biggest fear is just the amount of repairs.
Speaker 2: Does this guy? Does this guy have mental problems, you know, or physical problems, Not that we're.
Speaker 9: Aware of walking into the house though. I the leasing agency has been doing this for about twenty years. They I sent them the pictures and videos. Nobody's ever seen a property destroyed like this, especially give me.
Speaker 2: An idea of destroyed. Give me an idea. I mean, let me think I have water in the sun. Let me what do you mean by destroyed?
Speaker 8: Yes, sir, yes, sir.
Speaker 17: No.
Speaker 9: When you walk up to the front of the property, you know, small stuff. You notice aro off the bat from my ten foot weeds overgrowing over the whole front of the property. And it's kind of like, okay, wow, that's not talked about.
Speaker 2: You said fifteen or twenty grand I don't want to talk about landscaping, talk about something else.
Speaker 9: Yeah, inside the house, yeah, absolutely, So the real damage is you know, outside of you know, the dog pee and poop festering and the brand new carpet and.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's that's inside. Dog pee and poop inside. Okay.
Speaker 9: So the big expense is the big expenses if we just avoid all the petty stuff, would be the elevated deck, which I had an estimate done on it, a few of them done recently to replaced the deck before anybody moved in, because I just wanted to do a new one, nothing fancy, just to basically rebuild it. And it's roughly fourteen to fifteen thousand to the new deck.
Speaker 2: And there's going to be an argument as to whether you need a new deck. I mean the posts annoying it. But what I'm getting at is that this is not a candy store. Let's just say the trust was responsible. You still have to mitigate. You still have to really go for the loss, and not just because. And if you say, well, I may as well just replace the whole deck, well that's up to you. But that doesn't necessarily mean this guy's got to pay.
Speaker 5: They're right exactly.
Speaker 9: No, I agree, it's there's just been some damages done to the deck that are causing structural issues. And then the garage door. I did have a garage door company come out and look at it, and the size of the dents and the actual like I don't remember the terminology for it, but there's things like ripped out of the door on the paneling and they're dented so bad, and it's from nineteen ninety.
Speaker 2: How long is he he've been there that? How long has he been there?
Speaker 9: Three months? Three April?
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, wait a minute, you've only had this guy there three months.
Speaker 9: Yes, it's unbelievable, like that's what I'm saying. It's just unreal. I couldn't believe it. And he's still got, you know, another nine months left on the lease. Outside of the fact that today, when he fails to meet compliance, still more than likely obviously we'll start the eviction process. But my biggest fear is just you know, okay, he either accepts all the charges we give him, he forfeits security deposit and he's an honest guy, and he comes out of pocket for the things that he.
Speaker 5: Security won't cover.
Speaker 2: He probably doesn't have the money, bro, he doesn't have the money. Do you think he has fifteen or twenty.
Speaker 9: Gre in what that's my that's my fears. Where does it go from there?
Speaker 2: I guess nothing? I mean, you look at that they're saying he can't take blood from a turnip or blood from a stone. Truly, you know you can't, but you know the world. The most you can do is make a claim against him, and maybe he goes to the trust, especially if he can't get if he can't rent anymore because of your reference. I mean this right right, Look, you asked, where does it go? Okay? It's a civil matter, just like any civil matter, so you'd have to sue him.
Speaker 9: Okay, okay, and it's unfortunate. Well, I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: But you better check to see if the if the trust that you know, they may have had the trust. If he could not financially back it up, they may have had the trust qualify. Just find that out.
Speaker 9: Right, Okay, that's a good question, asked. I'll definitely check on that, all.
Speaker 2: Right, and let us know. But man, that's a terrible thing to happen, all right, Eric, Eric, hold on a sac bro. I'm going to take you right after the break, but I want to summarize what you're calling about. And again, you called about a week or so ago and you said that you were at King Supers. Now, you you went to this King Soupers frequently, but at this one time you went. You asked the clerk who was behind the counter. You saw her getting cigarettes for someone, and you asked, hey, while you're up there, can you get me a pack? And she said, no, talk to Leonard because Leonard's a black man. And then she said to you, you talked to Leonard. I'm not going to.
Speaker 5: Get g with the glee Glennard.
Speaker 2: Glennard. I'm sorry, Yeah, okay, thank you, So talk to Glennard. I'm a racist. That's what she said to you. Right, yes, all right, hold on and we'll come right back to you. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation in comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one. Help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martine, you're troubleshooter three all three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. So, Eric, you were at King Soupers and you said that this woman just said I'm a racist and she wouldn't wait on you. But you said, this is a woman you had countered many times before at King Soupers as a clerk, and she was always rude to you, but she never said the racist thing before. No, and then and then you said, you went, according to my notes, you went to management and said that she just said she's a racist, and they didn't care Yeah, Well there's what do you when you said they took her side? What did they What do you mean they took her side?
Speaker 5: Because they didn't give me a chance to explain. They just told me I had to exit the store. And you weren't raging or anything something.
Speaker 2: You know you can in a minute, Eric, but you don't control the conversation until I get the background. When you went to the manager, what did you complain about to that manager? What did you say to that manager?
Speaker 5: The manager was called up by Leslie. She approached me.
Speaker 2: Leslie's the one that said I'm a racist? Or is that someone else?
Speaker 5: Leslie did?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, go ahead.
Speaker 5: She called them. She called the manager you know from the intercom, and she came up and I waited and I told her what she was, Leslie said, And Tracy was there. Lenard is my witness. Tracy is my witness. I talked to them this morning, and Glennard is waiting for you to call him. He's been waiting since ten o'clock.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But just before you go there, though, you said to the manager, this woman says she's a racist and would not wait on me. Is that what you said?
Speaker 5: Absolutely? I didn't want to argue, Okay, the situation because you know the police officer I told you he heard it, Tracy hurt.
Speaker 2: Except everyone that you asked us to talk to playing they didn't hear it.
Speaker 5: They heard it, but.
Speaker 2: They said on the radio. Every person you got on the radio said I didn't hear a thing.
Speaker 5: They're afraid.
Speaker 2: They're afraid. So what are you calling about today? I know you called several days you wanted to follow this up. What do you want to what do you want to accomplish today?
Speaker 5: I have Leonard waiting for you to call him.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, Kaschina, do you have Glennard's number? Yeah? Hold on, hold on, I don't want I want to put you on hold. She'll get it and call the guy. Okay, hold on, and uh so Glenyard is a black man? And uh, I don't think I've ever heard that name before Glennard. Has anyone heard that? Okay? In any case, maybe maybe Glennard had a relative named Glenn and one named Leonard. Who knows. But here's the thing. I'm not sure what he wants, and I'm not sure what she meant. Oh well, I know what she managed. If she said I'm a racist, I'm not going to wait on you. But she didn't exactly say that. She said, talk to Leonard, I'm a racist. That could have been set like a sarcastic because, in other words, Leonard's a black man, and the guy calling Eric is a black man, and Leslie is white. And maybe someone suggested it sounds like maybe Eric does not like Leslie. Leslie does not like Eric, and it could be that Eric accused Leslie of being a racist in the past and maybe even called her that, and then when he wanted cigarettes, she figures, no, ask your black friend, I'm a racist.
Speaker 6: Hey, Tom, let me ask you.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's the way it was it went down. Go ahead.
Speaker 6: My theory is that when it comes to taking cigarettes out of a lock cabinet, they probably have to keep track of the packs that each one takes. So if Leslie took out two packs for John Doe.
Speaker 2: I think you might be overthinking this now.
Speaker 6: No, no, and then you couldn't take out more than that for him, he says. Then she said it sarcastically because he should know that she has to account for the number of cigarette packs she takes.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but why then what's the racist part about? I think she's being.
Speaker 6: Facetious because he's weing she's waiting on him in the past.
Speaker 2: I can't, she says, I can't.
Speaker 6: Do it, rather than going to a big explanation, Well, I have to account for every pack blah blah, so I'm a racist.
Speaker 12: When Glennard gets on, ask him.
Speaker 6: If he has to account for every pack of cigarettes, then he takes out of a log cabinet.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll ask, but I don't know if that's a big Is he on right now? By the way, he's on? Okay, Hey, Glennard, thank you so much for coming on. I'd like to ask you a question real quick here. Yeah, first, I want to give you a background you probably know. Eric claims he was in King Soupers one day asking Leslie for a pack of cigarettes. Yes, and Leslie said to him, as Glennard, I'm racist.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, she did tell us that that is completely wrong about telling somebody or something like that.
Speaker 2: So you heard it.
Speaker 5: Uh huh?
Speaker 2: You heard Leslie say that to Eric?
Speaker 5: Uh huh?
Speaker 2: Why did she tell him that?
Speaker 5: I am, to be honest to you, I don't even know why she did.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this. Do they have history? Do they know each other? Could she have been could it have been sarcastic?
Speaker 5: I honestly don't know.
Speaker 11: I honestly go happy nods about that bus.
Speaker 2: Okay, you don't know anything about their background.
Speaker 5: No, I really don't, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Okay, So is it possible she was fooling around or did she sound pretty serious?
Speaker 8: He did say she seemed to be serious.
Speaker 2: About Now were you there when he complained to management?
Speaker 5: No, I was working at the time. I was just doing my time, that's all.
Speaker 2: And you got him the cigarettes, right.
Speaker 5: Yes, I didn't go get into cigarettes foor.
Speaker 2: Okay. So then Eric says though that she's always given him a hard time? Do you know anything about that?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: This guy get fired as well. Huh did you get fired? No? Well I thought Eric said you got fired. Is that somebody else?
Speaker 5: That's not true. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Hey Eric, Wait, wait, did you quit?
Speaker 5: He got transferred to another store?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 5: Okay, No, he haven't worked. Yeah, I've got transferred to those store.
Speaker 2: Hey, glenned, when.
Speaker 6: You take cigarettes out of the cabinet the locked do you have to account every package you take out?
Speaker 5: Yeah? He has just one.
Speaker 6: No, No, when you you have the key to the cigarette cabinet.
Speaker 8: Right, No, I don't.
Speaker 2: Who does.
Speaker 5: It's locked behind the counter.
Speaker 2: You're going down an alley. That doesn't matter. Doc is trying here, Glennard. Here's what Doc is trying to say that the reason Leslie did not get him a pack of cigarettes is because she can only wait on one customer at a time in the cigarette locker and she has to lock it back up again, put the key back, then go get the key again for the other customer. Yeah no, that sounds like, okay, that doesn't happen. Well, let me ask you a very simple question. Let me ask you a very simple question then, okay, and that is this right now? Is she a racist? In your opinion?
Speaker 5: I don't I know if she's say that.
Speaker 2: Has she ever been racist to you?
Speaker 8: No, she hasn't, has she?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you get along fine with her. You know what's still throwing me.
Speaker 14: I'm almost positive Eric said this guy got fired.
Speaker 11: I didn't get fired.
Speaker 14: I understand that. But that's not what Eric said on the first call. And I can pull the audio. Eric, why did you say he got fired?
Speaker 5: That's what the rumor was Tom.
Speaker 2: Because he got transferred. He got transferred to another store. So you assumed it was fired. Eric, how's your cancer doing? By the way, how's my I got my feeling.
Speaker 5: I'm glad you asked that I've got my records coming so that I could send them to you.
Speaker 2: Tom, you remind me that's dragon Dragon was talking about your cancers. He said, right, yeah, I had.
Speaker 5: I had to text you my paperwork.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But that paperwork, listen, listen, listen, that paperwork doesn't say you have cancer.
Speaker 5: My records are coming, Tom and takes.
Speaker 2: Paperwork you sent me does not say you have cancer. I want to make that very clear.
Speaker 5: What you had going to come to you?
Speaker 2: Okay, Eric, when they come to me, that will be fine. Okay. Yeah, But the paperwork you sent me was a request. What's that going to tell you?
Speaker 5: I have cancer?
Speaker 2: The first of all about it doesn't really matter that much to me. I mean, I I I hope you don't have cancer.
Speaker 5: But what I meant by that going to that store to give my my pharmacy.
Speaker 2: That's what That's the point I was making is that when you said you had cancer, and you can't go there anymore at all, not even to get your medicine, you know, not yet.
Speaker 5: I can't go in the store because I'm going to fight this U through the through the end.
Speaker 2: Is there there's no other pharmacy you can go to.
Speaker 5: I don't want to have to be the inconvenience I live like. If my drive there, it's like two minutes. Okay, that's right. He meant corridos there too, across the street. I didn't hear that comment.
Speaker 2: I didn't either. What did you say, Mark, he used to.
Speaker 14: One of the issues that I think also came up was the fact the woman that he's saying said that she was prejudiced was also mad that he was selling his burritos in the store.
Speaker 2: That's right. A lot of nuances here. Yeah, so what the burritos?
Speaker 5: She's been harassing me for years?
Speaker 14: Tom Well, in her defense, though, most stores don't want you selling burritos out of a cooler inside the store.
Speaker 5: No, I'm outside.
Speaker 2: Well, they don't want you right outside selling burritos either on their property.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I stopped when they told me that I complied.
Speaker 2: Did anything happen to listen?
Speaker 5: Nothing? And Tom, I wanted to give you Tracy's number, the assistant manager.
Speaker 2: We already told her, she said, we already talked to.
Speaker 5: No, you haven't talked to Tracy, okay, Tracy, I.
Speaker 2: But no one talked to Leslie though. The one who.
Speaker 5: Actually there two is she's so brazen she probably would tell you the truth that she said.
Speaker 2: You know what, we should talk to Leslie directly. We really should.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's there. I'll give you the number.
Speaker 2: All right, hold on, we should. Well, that's what we're gonna Glennard, thank you very much. We're gonna talk to her next. We're gonna talk directly to her. See what she has to say about this. You're gonna call her bone all right, hold on, go with a sure thing Denver's best rufer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martine here three O three seven one three talk seven, one, three, eight, two, five five. We did talk to Leslie, Eric, we did talk to Leslie, and once again, who's Leslie? The what Leslie supposedly the clerk that said I'm racist? Oh? And what did Leslie say? Leslie said, I'm working and I can't talk right now, and I don't want to get into this. And then I don't think. I don't think Leslie the one that said it? Is it?
Speaker 8: Eric?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is? And then or supposedly, and then Kachina said, well, can you at least tell us if it's true? Did you say that? And she hung up on her?
Speaker 5: So, Eric, that's her? Well, yeah, Tracy is the assistant manager that heard Neslie say that. She's at the store too, and she said she would have told her that Tom was gone. Well, she's going to get a phone call. Tracy works right alongside of Leslie.
Speaker 2: And Tracy. Isn't she the one that would not talk on the err or did she deny it?
Speaker 5: No, that's Regina and Shelley. Oh she's there. She's the one that would Tracy.
Speaker 2: Did Tracy hear it?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Then why wouldn't Tracy do anything about it? If she's an assistant manager.
Speaker 5: They're all of Leslie.
Speaker 2: Man, why are they afraid of Leslie? Does she wear a white hood?
Speaker 20: Is she a super high manager or something?
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's just been there for years, twenty plus that game.
Speaker 20: I've been here for twenty years, but doesn't mean I got any pull around here.
Speaker 2: We're afraid of you a little anyway.
Speaker 22: Well, the interesting thing is when I did talk to the initial person who answered the phone, they had no idea who Leslie was or that she worked there, And literally kind of put the phone on her shoulder and yelled around and said, do we have a Leslie that works Are.
Speaker 2: You kidding me?
Speaker 21: No?
Speaker 2: And how is that possible?
Speaker 22: According to Eric, she's important and then Leslie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know who's employed there. It could be brand new.
Speaker 2: We're saying. Somebody answered maybe they didn't know.
Speaker 22: And so she did literally ask is there a Leslie that works here? She kind of yelled it at a oh okay, well here there's somebody that wants to talk to you.
Speaker 20: It could make sense because if Glennard was transferred away, they would need a new body to replace him, so that could make sense that she's new and didn't know.
Speaker 14: Kelly, what did you make of it? Do you think it happened after talking to her.
Speaker 22: Well, she was very kurt when I asked her whether or not it actually happened that when she was very short abrupt.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, And here's the thing.
Speaker 5: Can we resolved by talking to Tracy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's call Tracy?
Speaker 5: Do it ship the same store number?
Speaker 2: Well? How do you? But what can Tracy? She didn't hear it. Did you have the cell phone?
Speaker 5: Tracy?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 20: Remind me which one was Tracy?
Speaker 5: Again?
Speaker 2: Tracy is the assistant manager.
Speaker 14: She works in the meat department between ten am and ten fifteen.
Speaker 2: On her does it?
Speaker 5: She's the assistant manager of all the store.
Speaker 2: We're just kidding Eric, Eric, Okay, now listen, Eric, let me ask you something. What if what if we find out that she really did say this, I'm racist? What do you think should happen?
Speaker 5: Well, Glennard just told you she said it.
Speaker 2: I want to know what do you think should happen?
Speaker 5: I want her fired. Everybody wants her fired. I know the whole store. You know personnel. I've been going there so long. They don't they hate her and this other woman. I won't mention her name.
Speaker 2: I wonder if she's ever acted out against any blacks though, yes, other than refusing you cigarettes. And by the way, I don't that didn't. That whole dichotomy did not escape me, that you have cancer and you're smoking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: Well I'm right, of course. I mean, how the hell can you justify that?
Speaker 5: You're right?
Speaker 20: I shouldn't be smoked with stage four There, Tommy, you kind of give yourself a little bit of leeways. So it's okay, you.
Speaker 5: Guys have done it.
Speaker 1: You're gonna eat.
Speaker 5: Your words when I send.
Speaker 10: You my.
Speaker 5: Medical report. Why my word, because you guys don't believe it's nothing to brag about. I've just been hanging tougher.
Speaker 2: Eric.
Speaker 14: Wait, wait wait, I think we're Eric. I think you're forgetting. You told us four different stage four cancers you had. Then when you were done saying it, you also mentioned you had brain cancer. So you have five kinds of stage four cancer, right.
Speaker 5: No, I had prostate, colon, lung, and brain cancer. Tom and Mark, you did not get that mask my wife sent you for the brain cancer radiation. That was that mask that she sent you that I had to go under for the radiation to have it removed. It's kind of hard to talk about, but Mark, did you get that mask my wife sent you?
Speaker 2: No, No, he's said, you know what that is? He sent? She sent so many pictures. I mean I kind of just wait. I saw some.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a mask that you have to go under to have your head steal and you're tightened in it like a like a for the brain. Yeah, that was that mask. And she didn't give any identification as to what it was. And I got kind of mad at her why she didn't describe what it was.
Speaker 2: Okay, click up date, guys, yeah, click up date.
Speaker 22: Tracy is not there today.
Speaker 2: Tracy is not there today, thank you.
Speaker 5: She clashed dogs. And because I spoke to her this morning at six o'clock, you know he is.
Speaker 14: He is really stuck to this story in an unbelievable way. I'm starting to think now I don't know why she would say it, and that that's that could shed a lot of light onto it. But I'm starting to really think she did say the comment.
Speaker 16: You know, the bottom line, Eric, forget the racism stuff.
Speaker 12: You need access.
Speaker 16: You want access back into this King Supers to get your persup.
Speaker 2: That's your main goal, right to get just so you're not banned anymore. Her canned.
Speaker 16: Man, Well, isn't getting a prescriptions more important than trying to get somebody terminated on something?
Speaker 5: Not the way she harassed me that time? Young man? Who am I thinking to?
Speaker 2: There's all kinds of people, It doesn't matter, you won't remember. There's all kinds of voices. We're all here, man, we got like seven eight people here.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I want to access to that store. Tom, you've written my tech that I gave you, you know initially what had happened. Yeah, I want access to get my medication.
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah, okay, all right, hold on, bro, just hold on. By the way, anybody got any observations three h three seven one three talk three or three seven one three eight two five five. You can also call us with any problem, question and complaint. We got this hour ending. Well, we got a few more minutes left, then we have the next hour. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help you'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two seven one three eight two five five. Well, guys, what do you think? Seriously? Way in what do you think? People say? I have a hard time believing somebody would do that. At work, somebody else says she was definitely being sarcastic? What else? I mean, Mark, do you think it could have been said? Do you think it was sarcasm or do you think it was I don't know, Wyse ass what do you think? And I don't know if Mark's still there? But in any case, all of you, doc, what do you think?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 6: I told you my thirty you just don't agree with it?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: What does that have to do with the racist thing?
Speaker 6: Because I think it was said sarcastically, totally facetious.
Speaker 2: Okay, Bo, what do you think?
Speaker 16: I think he may have misinterpreted what she was trying to convey.
Speaker 2: I mean, do you think it was sarcastic?
Speaker 12: I do.
Speaker 2: I just asked him, I'm racist, blown.
Speaker 16: Out of proportion.
Speaker 2: I agree with that but I don't think she should be fired. I think it was sarcastic. I really do. I mean, because I can see it happening.
Speaker 20: What do you think, Dragon, It's hard to say that if it even happened, because we've had five people on the air say I wasn't there or it didn't happen, including.
Speaker 2: That I didn't hear anything, right, including a police highness.
Speaker 20: He said, Now, we've only got one person who said that it did happen. It may have, but we have no way of proving anything. So I don't know how we can help him other than moving his prescriptions to a different store. Possibly.
Speaker 2: Now, Eric, on a serious note here, you say you want to be able to get your prescriptions. There are you saying there are no Walgreens in the area, or you can't get express scripts delivered to your house.
Speaker 5: It's the absolute point. Yeah, I'm gonna let that woman ridicule me, disgrace me, Tom and you to service you without a fight. I'm not going yet.
Speaker 20: This is what you what you want to spend your last days on?
Speaker 2: My friend?
Speaker 5: Well, it's called pride, okay. I just want to make sure we're all clear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, and listen, I don't know. I'm gonna I'm gonna hope that you can gather up some more evidence and let us know. But right now this is on hold.
Speaker 5: You want to get it on recording.
Speaker 2: Watch all right, go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation in comparison call Compass Insurance. Pay too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 1: Ripped off bad news, de need advisel.
Speaker 5: You don't have the.
Speaker 1: Come running just stasis. Shooter's gonna help.
Speaker 2: Come. This is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martino, Hi, Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. Three zero three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. How are you doing today? What's on your mind? We have Dan mackenzie with us from McKenzie Law. People have been I'm sorry I didn't get to your text. And somebody wants to know about leaving motor vehicles. To transfer ownership of a vehicle when it's in in a state, does that require anything more than a small a state affid David? And when can you not use a small estate affid David? And this is Dan McKenzie McKenzie law.
Speaker 18: So right now, the threshold is eighty two thousand dollars. If the person passed away and had more than eighty two thousand dollars or real estate of any value, there's gonna have to be approbate to train and.
Speaker 2: It's eighty two and cash your valuables in it.
Speaker 18: Valuables and it's combined. If I have two accounts of fifty thousand each of them, that is one hundred thousand. That is more than needy too. We're going to have to do a probate.
Speaker 2: But did you just you just have a car?
Speaker 18: You go to the DMV because they have their own version of the small estate affidavit that you fill out there.
Speaker 2: Oh so you can do a car, just a car, yep? All right, three oh three seven one three TNK Bennett, what's going on with you? Bennett?
Speaker 4: Tom, I have a question about a week or so. Uh, somebody had a dog that had two chips in it and the second owner for two years. Didn't they have to give it back to the first owner or not?
Speaker 2: Okay that case, yes, that case answer. The first owner got.
Speaker 4: It, Yes, even though the second owner had it for two years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's correct. Now here's the thing, though, there are some people who disagreed with that and said that once it goes through the dumb Friends league, it should be it should belong to the dumb friends. I mean, it should belong to them to give it away. But they said that the old owner never had the right whcuse me, never had the opportunity to pick the right one to go back and get their dog.
Speaker 12: I mean right.
Speaker 6: And I spoke to two or three people I don't remember exactly, but the bottom line was, it's going back to the first owner. End of story. There's nothing else we could do about it.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, give me that sucks because the other person had a fortunity.
Speaker 2: I get it. You're absolutely right, but the first owner, the first owner said, we did not abandon it. It was no one ever contacted us, and this person who adopted it claimed the first owner abandoned it, but that wasn't the real story. The real story is the dog was picked up and some body dropped the ball. So this person gets the dog, has it for two years. But remember in the two years that the dog got out three times and had to be recovered. The third time it was recovered by animal control. They apparently did this chip scan and did not find that guy's chip, but the other chip, it's a it's screwed up.
Speaker 4: Bennett, Yeah, Tom, it really is. You know, I have so much love for horses and dogs, right, and I hate the word dumb friendly. I just hate that.
Speaker 2: Well, it's dumb in that they don't speak. They don't mean dumb asn't stupid.
Speaker 4: Right, I understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and thank you, thank you Bennett. Yeah, Bennett's got a good heart. Now let's talk to Edward. Welcome Edward. What's going on?
Speaker 11: Yes, well, I'm in the music and it's obviously profit but I want to shoot a scene in a church building that is a nonprofit but I don't want to jeopardize their nonprofit status by doing this.
Speaker 2: Now, hold on, how would how You're in the music business, right, yes, and you want to shoot a music video or a video, and you want to use this as a setting. Right, it would have no bearing on their nonprofit Why would it? Why did you think it may have a bearing on their nonprofit status because.
Speaker 11: It's for profit activity and it would be in the public eye.
Speaker 2: Okay, being in the public eye. It doesn't matter United ways in the public eye. Let's talk about let's just talk about the for profit. What would be for profit?
Speaker 11: Well, it's music. I've been in music forty years.
Speaker 2: But right, but you're making the profit. They're not making the profit.
Speaker 11: Yes, but it's for profit using a nonprofit facility.
Speaker 2: Well is the nonprofit facility? Are they charging you for use?
Speaker 11: They didn't want to, but if that would be better.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, let me. I think you're just a little confused on what nonprofit means nonprofit. There's two nonprofits. There's nonprofits which simply have don't make profit. But they're not charities and they don't make profit because they've decided they don't want to make profit and they want to they want to do something. It could be a personal mission, it could be a personal cause. It could just be that they all get paid enough salaries. There's no stockholders, and they make no profit. It's not for profit. It is not a charity. No one gets any kind of benefit from it being nonprofit. Now then there's the five oh one C three, and that is that is a charity, meaning people get tax deductions for donating to it, and then it operates nonprofit. It can still pay tremendous salaries and have all kinds of income. What they can't have as profit, which means at the end of the day, they have to do all of their expenses and all of their income and they have to come out either even or at a loss. What they don't what they must do as a charity as opposed to just a regular nonprofit. A charity must spend the money as specified in their charter. So if it's a church, they may have certain charter their primary goal. For example, if there was a homeless coalition and this homeless coalition was a nonprofit charity, and this homeless coalition spent money on saving animals or doing something completely unrelated that wasn't in their charter, then that could they could lose their status. They have to stay true to their organizational charter, but that's the only thing they have to do. What you do with a nonprofit has nothing to do with the nonprofit. If a nonprofit owns a building. There are people all day long that use nonprofits, not just to shoot videos. They shoot movies, giant Blockbuster movies. They shoot or or wedding venues, all kinds of stuff, and they can even make money doing it. What they can't do at the end of the year is make a profit. So I think that you're worrying where there's no worry exists, and they're allowed to let you use that facility, but be careful. And here's why I say be careful if they let you use that facility on a regular basis or too much and they don't get income. If that facility was purchased with charitable funds, then technically they should not be letting people use it to make money as a facility without getting without being paid per use. But that's only if it was exorbitant and if people complained, like the board of directors or members of the public. Let's say I donated money one hundred thousand dollars to this charity over the years, and even though I don't control the charity, I feel like, hey, I gave one hundred grand because I believe in their purpose, and so their purpose is a church, and their purpose is to win souls, And I say this is I like paying that. Now, Let's say I notice that they are letting people use it free of charge A lot I may as a big contributor to that charity, say I don't think it's fair that I give my heart to earn money to help people and to help you save souls, and you turn around and let people use this for rock videos. I mean, you could get that kind of flack, but you're not going to get any kind of flack that would necessarily threaten their nonprofit or charitable status unless they were doing something egregious, for example, if they were charging for it and not claiming the income and they were having parties or the board of directors were taking under the table money to let people use it. But what you're talking about is a very straightforward situation. You want to use it as a backdrop whereas a set. The church is letting you do it. It's not going to hurt them at all. The only time it would hurt them as if somehow you did damage that building or did something where nonprofit or charitable funds would have to be used to fix something that you broke.
Speaker 11: Okay, So if you wan't of looking for all kinds of opportunities to take it away from.
Speaker 2: Churches, who who is looking for it? The r is well, yeah, the IRS has been on a on a on a rampage against a lot of phony charities, and they don't want they don't want churches taking advantage of the nonprofit status, uh and of the charity you know, but they don't. I I you know, I don't know if they're specifically targeting churches or not. But in any case, I don't see anything that could go wrong if you simply are going to use it as a backdrop.
Speaker 11: Yeah, just a one time video shoot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean I see nothing wrong with it. I I I don't see how that could possibly affect them at all. So I just told you that, you know, the only concerns people may have three oh three seven to one three talks seven one three eight two. If I have hold on a second, I want to ask you, Edward, so are you a musician yourself?
Speaker 11: Well, I have musicians, Yes, I'm singer and I work with runaway teenagers such.
Speaker 2: And do you perform anywhere.
Speaker 11: I do nationally? Where Western US and Western Canada.
Speaker 2: And if we wanted to see like maybe a video or a YouTube, what's online where we could look it up?
Speaker 11: Well, this will be coming out soon as soon as we shoot this. We just recorded it in Dallas.
Speaker 2: Do you have anything already up on YouTube or anywhere?
Speaker 11: I do have a little, a small website. We have trouble because they keep crashing.
Speaker 2: Who's doing who's doing your website?
Speaker 11: Well, volunteers?
Speaker 2: Oh, I see, so you're trying to do it on a shoe string and you're saying, why does it keep crashing?
Speaker 11: Well, runaways don't have any money. Yeah, So it's so.
Speaker 2: Do you use your money? Do you use your money to support runaways?
Speaker 11: I use most all of my resources, yes, to make this happen. But it's well worth it.
Speaker 21: You know, it's what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how long you've been working with runaways?
Speaker 11: About forty two years?
Speaker 2: My goodness? And have you have? You helped a lot of them get back into society and work and you know whatever.
Speaker 11: Well, there's six million on the street, so you know, I've only helped about just over four thousand.
Speaker 2: I think that he wow, do how do you help them? Well?
Speaker 11: First off, I've I've figured out a way to find them, which is near impossible nowadays, but we have a way and volunteers that help. The police can't find them. They only report if they show up at a crime scene or something, but we have ways of tracking them down, but then it takes a lot of resources. So I'm trying to get more funding from my music so that I can push that back into helping these kids.
Speaker 2: Have you ever thought about being a nonprofit?
Speaker 11: Well, I've thought about that, but I've heard it's very expensive to set it up.
Speaker 2: Not terribly, I mean, there is some expense involved. It's not as terrible you as you may think.
Speaker 11: But I also find that when I work with runaways, the damage has already done. So I've been doing children's concerts. Try to catch them before that gets that bad in their life, try and stop the tide.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize runaways was such a big deal. How old are we talking about with kids?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 11: My, now they're down to about twelve years old.
Speaker 2: And is it true that a lot of runaways become victims of child trafficking?
Speaker 21: Oh?
Speaker 11: Absolutely, yeah. They last about twenty hours at the most on the street, and there.
Speaker 2: Are people that are actually out scouting and looking for them.
Speaker 11: Oh, yes, but so are we. Yeah, we try and get to them first.
Speaker 2: So what's the what's your website?
Speaker 11: My website just for my music is music of Eddie ed.
Speaker 2: Done, Music of Eddie ed Yes.
Speaker 11: I have samples on there. When as the kids get older and they get more established back into life, they get in their late twenties, they're starting to look back into the nineteen forties and they're learning who Sinatra was being crosby all that. They said. They want to find out how they had sixty year marriages, what was different. That's encouraging because they're they're lucky. They know they don't have it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Eddie, listen, man, if you ever want to explore doing a five on one three see to help you. It doesn't have to be part of your music. It can be something separate. You ought to look into it. I know people who do stuff like that. Three O three seven on three, Tom, did you see what are h A two?
Speaker 6: A moron said that he'd be willing he'd be willing to volunteer to help this guy with his website because his company or any what he does says, my passion is also nonprofit, and my biz does websites.
Speaker 2: Oh, he'd be willing to help them. Okay, why don't you get Eddie's contact information? By the way, people can contact him directly. It's music of Eddie ed dot com. More coming up, Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, your troubleshooter three oh three seven one three talk zero three seven one three eight two five five. Have you heard that a lot of artists and estates of artists are going after Trump for him using their music? They want nothing to do with him. You want to talk about Trump derangement syndrome, Well, every virtually every artist of every song he's used, except for what's his name? Grant? Is it proud to be an American? What's is that? Lee Lean Greenwoodwood loves Trump and but but they've used songs like y M C A uh in the in the Trump campaign, they use so on, hold on, I'm coming uh. They've used other kinds of songs and the artists say no, they will not give permission and they do not want others Celine Dion, Snead's O'Connor's estate, the like I said others. Now it says here, well hold on, okay, no, no, no. Kid Rock is allowing it the use of all his music, and so is Lee Greenwood. So those two are pro well I'm not saying they're pro Trump. What I'm saying is they're helping or not helping. They're not opposing that. So the Copyright Office has had a lot of complaints and apparently there are lawsuits that are going on for use of their music without permission.
Speaker 5: Hmm.
Speaker 2: And there's a lot of them. By the way, My Heart Will Go On was one from Selaindon. Nothing compares to use Sinead O'Connor, remember her, she's dead now. By the way, Purple Rain the estate of Prince Tom Petty. I won't back down the Smiths, please please please let me get what I want. Now see that the Smiths ought to let them go because nobody listens to them anyway. Lincoln Park. Uh, they they're pissed off for the song in the end. Oh, by the way, I should let you know we do have I know we don't have a lot of time, but our we do have lines open a three O three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five or three three Martino three three six two seven eight four sixty six. Creton's Leatherwood Revival says, no more using Fortunate Son. We don't want it. Neil Young said no, no, you can't use rockin in the Free World. And Pharrell does not want happy used for Trump Aerosmith living on the Edge, No Dice, rolling Stones. You can't always get what you want. Phil Collins in the air tonight, look at all these people. Wow, Guns n' roses are out. I there's only so only two artists so far.
Speaker 6: If you're out to sing Happy Birthday, that's what we talked about on Monday.
Speaker 2: Happy Birthday is out of the public domain. Elton John says, no, go for Rocketman.
Speaker 20: Well, maybe it's because of the industry that we work in here, Tom, But it does not matter if the artist says you cannot use my song. As long as the Trump campaign pays the ASCAP fees, they can use the damn song.
Speaker 2: Are you sure of that? I'm not sure of that. Are you sure of that? I know that there, I know that you can pay. You know what? We should explore that because I thought you need artists permission for specific promotion, not for you. See, when we use it on this show, it's not to promote me. It's there. It's called general use and fair use. I think I wonder if I could even get him on the air right now at a last minute.
Speaker 20: If an artist called up and said, Tom, I do not want you to use this song, it does not matter the station pays for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, hold on now. I think though, when it comes to things like campaigns is up, there's a distinction. Hey, do you have the Do you have the number for my IP attorney? Let me find him here and then I can.
Speaker 12: Give it to you.
Speaker 6: Well, Tom, for a long time you use a Beatles song as an intro. Did you ever have any problem with that?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, all the time. That's why we changed it. So, Yeah, yeah, because it was more than fair you. Here's why even though you pay ask CAAF fees. That's what I'm trying to tell Dragon, there's a there's a distinction between fair use and promotion that was considered. Help. I need somebody. Now. The Beatles didn't contact me, but the people who own the copyright or who monitor it said you you they would, they would nix us on YouTube now and then, so we got nicked so much on YouTube, we decide.
Speaker 20: That's slightly different there because then you're talking about the internet fees versus over the air.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 20: Yeah, so there, so there's a different lawsuits.
Speaker 2: I want to find out Mark Trenor. Do you have his number, Kitchina Mark Trenor? If you don't, I have it here, I can send it to you. I want to ask him real quick if he could come on for a minute. But also, parodies you can get away with under certain circumstances. But it's really a good discussion, Dragon, because really you're right, there are what's called ASKEP and BMI fees. Let me explain what that is. These are like unions of songwriters and publishers and recording artists, and years ago they knew that people use their music all day long, everywhere, and they didn't have a way of getting paid. So what people would do is subscribe to as CAP and BMI and through a system of surveys, these organizations would survey songs being played throughout the year, and these audits would break out percentages of songs that are played, and then depending on where you play them, well, they don't really talk about each song where you play it. Here's what they do. If you have a bar and you get a hundred thousand patrons a week, you're going to pay a higher fee than a bar that has five thousand patrons. And if you have a nightclub that has live music that has you know, way bigger footprint, and or you have a small club that has a much smaller footprint, or a cafe, you pay less BMI and ask cafees. Your fees are based on your projected audience, your assumed audience, and the number of plays. So what they do over the year is say, for example, help the one I use, They say that's played x percentage of the time in the world. They don't know that for sure, but they estimate, so out of all the royalties collected, they get a check for that part of the royalty. Now, these are not direct purchases. Purchases are different. They go directly to the artists as intended. But when it comes to ASKEP and BMI for the playing of that music, those are estimations based on audience size and percentage of times it's played. So more popular music would be higher. And I don't know, however, if all artists are belonged to that or not. I really don't know how it works.
Speaker 6: So Tom, what about if Okay, So if you let's say you have h R FM station here, yes, play songs right, and I have that in my office or in a bar or restaurants.
Speaker 2: That's where you get right.
Speaker 6: You can where they're playing, or you have the radio on.
Speaker 2: You can't. You have to do it for it, really, Yes, if you have a radio on in your place of business and the patrons can hear it, you're asked you have to pay as KEPT or BMI. You have to or they will shut you down, literally shut you down, or you know, take the radio or tell you can't play it. You can play it for your own use in the back room all day long, even when people go to the beach If you go to the beach and you have a kiosk selling ice cream and you have a big speaker out there, you're gonna pay ass kept and BMI. If you're laying on a beach plane it soaking in the sun playing music, you're not gonna pay it. You when you buy it, can play it for personal use anytime, all day long. What you can do theoretically is play that in two different places or four different places with your family. You're not supposed to, and you're not supposed to play it for promotion. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hey, don't three O with Dan McKenzie for wills and probate estates avoiding probate, facing probate, doing some creative ways to pass on your assets. When he's not here, he's at eight three three co plans. You want to talk about counter suing, Maybe he can chime in. He's an attorney, Mike, What are you talking about?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Tom, I'm talking about useless, frivolous, taxpayer wasting suits like the United Autoworkers suing Elon Musk and Donald J. Trump for a conversation they had on the internet.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, oh, oh yeah, yeah. You know there are so many people upset with that. Do you know people tried to shut down Twitter with the denial of service attacks or the service attacks, and also the European Union weighed on it and said they broke the law in Europe by allowing misinformation to be out there about certain things on climate change. It's amazing to me how much people fight against freedom of speech. It's amazing to me. It's amazing. What were the auto workers talking about?
Speaker 19: Oh?
Speaker 8: I think there were something disparaging electric vehicles. There's got to be a there's got to be a counter suit.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute here, why would Musk disparage electric vehicles?
Speaker 8: I don't think he was but you know, or maybe he's climate change, you know, and okay Trump.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think it was climate change. People were really up in arms on climate change. But I don't know what the auto workers were upset about. But in any case, what were you talking about? Counter sewing?
Speaker 8: Well, counter sewing for a frivolous time wasting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's not wasting your time. You're not you're not a party to it to sue them, Well you.
Speaker 8: Are if your Donald Trump and you're being sued by UAW and Musk. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not getting you're saying that if these people are suing Trump or Musk somehow you're damaged by it.
Speaker 5: No, not me.
Speaker 8: They they the party. They're the party named Musk and Trump.
Speaker 2: Right, So you want to know can they counter sue them?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: It should be able to.
Speaker 2: Well, actually, I guess anyone can countersue anyone. I never really understood fully the countersuit thing. Dan mackenzie in general, a counter suit, what does that mean? Someone sues you and you sue them back. I mean, is that what that means by counter suit?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, but would you sue them back for the same thing or do you sue them back for suing you? Or mean, what is it really you're suing.
Speaker 18: You can't sue them for suing you, but you might have your own claims saying that they damaged you somehow, so you kind of have to. I mean, it's very complicated.
Speaker 2: Judges must hate them.
Speaker 18: I mean, it always happens. You know, we'll say to this person, you're probably gonna get countersuits and just fy you could walk out of this thing losing and actually owe them money. You got to take that into account before you see somebody. But it's pretty complicated as far as like do you have to bring the claims because you can't have related claims to the incident that you got sued for. Not bring them and then wait to see what happens and then see the people again, because the lord's gonna say like, hey, you could have brought those claims. We could have resolved all this previously. Why didn't you do that?
Speaker 2: Okay, by the way, Alan, this is not it's not really a lawsuit. They're bringing labor charges. I just looked it up against Trump and Musk after threatening workers, It says the United Auto Workers Union filed federal labor charges. That's not a lawsuit. Yeah, and it says threatening they were intimidating workers during Trump's interview with it said that they made some remarks and workers felt intimidated. I don't know what that means. It says, I look at what you do. You walk in and just say you want to quit. They go on strike. I won't mention the name of the company, but okay, So what they're saying is people go on strike, should be fired. Blah blah blah. They were just venting about workers and stuff. And then Trump said something about I don't know something about hiring scabs. Apparently apparently the labor people felt intimidated.
Speaker 6: Well look what Reagan did. He kept his word.
Speaker 2: He fired all of the charge. I know that, Mike. What is your no, I'm sorry, that was Mike Allan. Allan, there you go, Alan, go ahead, Alan. What do you have a question on debt?
Speaker 21: Yeah?
Speaker 23: So I've been unemployed since March this year, and I had some years I was unemployed before that during COVID, and so I built up a fair amount of debt. Yes, and I keep getting you know, obviously the companies know that I have debt, so they keep coming after me and wanting me to consolidate the debt. And I've heard you say before.
Speaker 2: No, consolidation almost never works, almost never. But hold on, there are some circumstances. I got behind here, but I'll get right back to you. I promise. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Lions three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two to Alan Alan Debt consolidation only works only if you have something to borrow money on and the consolidated amount that you're paying is is a lower blended interest rate. Do you understand what that means?
Speaker 23: Yes, lower blended right, So if you have five different accounts, you're paying anywhere from twelve to eighteen percent.
Speaker 2: And you can get one loan lower than that blended rate you will be financially ahead. If you don't, then take those cards you've just paid off and start using them again. The problem with consolidation loans is people usually don't do that. They usually add up all of their concer volidation and then have empty credit cards. And so the best way to do this, and you don't want to hear it, but if you're in a lot of debt is to do a bankruptcy.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: I'd be glad to talk to you at length tomorrow, but we're out of time. Thank you for being here, Dan McKenzie McKenzie Law. Save all your problems for me.