Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk the Dodgers and Mets wrapping up this four game series at Dodgers Stadium, and we're joined right now by rookie reliever Jack Dryer, who has made such a big impact on this team.
Speaker 2: Jack, thanks a lot for the time, appreciate.
Speaker 3: It absolutely, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: I mean, you and.
Speaker 1: Ben Casperius I have declared the MVPs of this bullpen. What's it like to be leaned upon and deliver when asked?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's great.
Speaker 4: I think the biggest thing is just knowing that, you know, the mindset for all of the guys in the bullpen is it's next guy up. So whenever the team needs outs and the phone rings, whoever's name gets called, we know is the best guy for the job.
Speaker 1: Jack Dryer and Ben Casparius's name has been synonymous so many times this year, and it's fitting that you guys go way back.
Speaker 2: To the beginning of your professional careers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, same draft class.
Speaker 4: I think this is you know, year four or five of us together, and we've lived together at just about every level of minor league affiliates.
Speaker 3: So we know each other pretty well.
Speaker 1: How have you seen Casparius' career grow and evolve?
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 4: You know, he started as a starter and I've always been a reliever, so you know, our paths didn't cross too much at the field. But now that he's become a reliever, it's nice getting to spend more time with him and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So it's been really good.
Speaker 1: I've asked him about that interesting delivery where he goes from one side of the rubber to the other.
Speaker 2: When did he start that?
Speaker 4: He has always been doing that, and that's something that you know, we've.
Speaker 3: Kind of talked about in the bullpen.
Speaker 4: When we watch him, it's it's kind of incredible how big of a step he takes. But you know, whatever works, and he's obviously been dominating, so don't change anything.
Speaker 1: What's he like as a roommate because he seems to be like a very confident guy from Connecticut. He has that New York swag even though he's from Connecticut.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's he's great, you know, keeps things clean, which is important for me. Yeah, and you know, he's great with connections, so whenever we're in different cities, he's able to get us into dinners and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So I'm very thankfu for that.
Speaker 4: You know, he's been able to give me a lot of experiences that otherwise I wouldn't have had.
Speaker 1: Hey, I saw him in New York. He was at some clothing places. He's become an influencer.
Speaker 4: I mean rightfully, so I think he has great style. So if other people want to take a little cut out from what he does, I think it'd be a good idea.
Speaker 1: Did you tap into some of those influencing opportunities with him in New York?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we both went to the MLB headquarters and got a tour of that and stuff, which was really cool to kind of see how the you know, video review system works and stuff like that. But other than that, you know, he knows New York a lot better than I do, so he kind of knows the places to go, and I was. It was my first time, so that was pretty fun.
Speaker 1: A lot of players don't know what goes into that MLB review headquarters. Does it give you a greater appreciation or understanding of how they make decisions on challenges?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, It's it's pretty cool the setup they have. There's so many monitors in there and when a review happens, it kind of gets flash up on the board or they have a countdown clock that's going so they know, you know, how long they've been taking on a review and stuff like that, and it it definitely seems like a very stressful environment when when there are challenges coming in, but it would be it would be pretty fun to see in person.
Speaker 1: Jack Dreyer is our guest in front of first pitch between the Dodgers and Mets. And Jack's a great kid and loves being a professional baseball player. And you got a lot of kids inside of you because you told me you started to get back into buying baseball cards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: One of the things that I did at the MLB headquarters was was buy a few boxes of cards, and so I'm really excited to open them and you know, see who I get because I don't know anything about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you have you been able to pull any Anthony Bomda baseball cards? He seems so so happy and thrilled to be here today.
Speaker 4: I actually haven't opened any of the boxes yet. I'm keeping them. I might save them till after the season, but yeah, hopefully I pull all of the band of cards.
Speaker 1: What got you inspired to get into be ball cards and opening the packs? Because we all love that. It's like Christmas every time you open one.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I've always been huge into collecting things.
Speaker 4: And so when I was younger, my dad had hundreds of cards from when he was a kid, but I never had any of my own, so I would just kind of organize the ones that he had given me. So now that I've bought some newer cards, now I can kind of rekindle that old passion that I had.
Speaker 1: I didn't ask you this the other day, but what are you waiting for?
Speaker 4: I think just, you know, maybe some free time. There aren't many off days here. If I get you know, maybe the all Star break or an off day here there, I'll start ripping some packs open and see what I can get.
Speaker 1: Okay, not a lot to do in Saint Louis, Jack, you might want to bring a box with you.
Speaker 3: That's actually a pretty good idea.
Speaker 1: I might do that, all right, and you never know, you might see Jack Dryer. If you see that Captain Morgan facial here at a baseball card shop and Ventura Boulevard, that's Jack Dryer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've gotten Captain Morgan.
Speaker 4: I've also gotten Jack Sparrow quite a bit so, so both of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which one do you prefer?
Speaker 4: I mean, Jack Sparrow. We share the same name, so I think I'm gonna go with that one.
Speaker 2: Jack sounds good.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot for the time, and can't wait to hear which baseball cards you pull.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm very excited. Thank you for having me