Speaker 1: Oh bed of that air, oh bed of Hello, and welcome to the show. This is the Cult of Conspiracy, and my name is Jonathan. I'm Jacob, and today Jacob. Let the good cult members know what we're gonna be talking about today, sir, Well.
Speaker 2: You're going to be talking about oldie but a goodie. If you're anybody who has been looking into some of the more obscure conspiratorial things, then you've probably heard about the man from Torrid. If you haven't, let me paint you a picture. All right, it is mid nineteen fifties. Okay, let's think about the status of the world right now. World War Two just ended a little over a decade ago. The world is on the regrowth pattern right now. The countries that were involved in World War Two, they're trying to change their whole look, a new rebrand, if you will. Germany's not trying to be crazy. They're trying to just rebuild what they got. Japan had nukes dropped on them, They're trying to rebuild what they got, you know. And America seen is pretty much the powerhouse of the world. And the Cold War's going on right between the communist nations and the capitalist nations and all of these things. So in certain regards, security measures are at an all time high, right, tensions are out of high. But in other sections of the world, they're just trying to rebuild. They're just trying to grow off of what they got. Okay, now, let's take a little trip to Tokyo, Japan in this timeframe. This guy pulls up to the airport, just seeming like a normal dude. He's trying to get on the plane, but he presents a passport that is, first of all, very large, like larger than a passport is supposed to be. But I mean, you know, depending on what country he comes from, maybe the prints that they have in that country are a little different than others. And i mean passports, although they're supposed to be a pretty generic standard from all of the world. At this time, things are kind of up in the air a bit. So okay, no real red flags off the rip. Then when you read this passport it has a country on it that doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: The dude at the.
Speaker 2: Airport is like, I'm sorry, what na sure from? I'm from Torrid? Sorry where is Torrid?
Speaker 3: It's in Europe.
Speaker 2: It's been there for a thousand years. We have a very long history in the Nation of Torrid. You've never heard of the Kingdom of Torrid. Really, bro And the guy at the airport's like, I can't say that I have. But not only that, this passport is stamped with other stamps, meaning this dude has been through like thirty countries in the past few years. He is a well traveled man, and no other airport thought to stop him and ask him about the.
Speaker 3: Nation of Torrid. They just kind of let him go on.
Speaker 2: By long story short, he gets arrested, but they didn't arrest him and throw him in jail necessarily. They wanted to detain him until they could figure out what is really going on here.
Speaker 3: They put him up in a hotel. All this goes on, cool.
Speaker 2: Cool, There's the window to the hotel, I should mention doesn't open, there's only one way interer out and they actually put security guards by the door to make sure this guy doesn't you know, get out of there, because forgery was a big thing during this time, right, Like I said, Cold War shit, spy things going on, so they don't want this dude, who might be some sort of international spy to just dip out.
Speaker 3: They're wondering what the hell's going on here.
Speaker 2: The next morning, when the officials come and knock on the door, he's on his bed, is made. There's no briefcase, there's no suitcase, there's no nothing. There's no sign that anyone even stayed in this hotel room that night. The security guards get chastised for letting this guy escape, and you're like, sir, we were posted up all night and neither of us slept, and this door is the only way out. He didn't leave. This is still, to this day an unsolved case. The man has never been heard from again. Jonathan, have you ever heard of this?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I haven't, but I'm fucking here for it.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 1: This is the kind of shit. This is right up our alley.
Speaker 3: There is. Now.
Speaker 2: There's a few hypotheticals that have been proposed about what happened on this fateful day and to this specific gentleman. Some say that, you know, he was actually an air National spy and because of that, his spycraft allowed him to be able to escape, escape that room, and he went back to whatever country he's from. Another says perhaps parallel universe Mandela effect.
Speaker 3: Time warp type of situations.
Speaker 2: Okay, another One is saying that perhaps he was actually an alien and he was taken from his hotel room back to the ship in the night, just without a trace, blink of a night kind of shit. Another says that in reality, the guards were in on it. They were paid off and it was That's something, dude. The more you break it down, the more questions happen.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm most inclined to believe right now without you know, more information, is that the guards had to have been in on something. Like I trust me. I want to believe that aliens and interdimensional travel and you know, like the woo woo, all the crazy, the ufology type shit. I'm always here for it, but like I like, I want to be truly convinced of it rather than just believing it.
Speaker 3: You know, I hear this, I really do.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: When I first stumbled onto this story, I was kind of doing a little prodding, a little digging. A few names came up that I didn't really understand. This was like, this didn't make sense. The nation of Torrid obviously doesn't exist, but when they asked to point to it on a map, he pointed to a specific spot called Andorra have you ever heard of andorra uh No, I don't think so small.
Speaker 3: Principality between France and Spain.
Speaker 2: And when I say small, I mean like a speck on the map that unless you knew what you were looking for, you would never see it.
Speaker 3: Kind of thing.
Speaker 2: I gotta put a map of it pulled up and come to find out, there actually is a place called Torrid.
Speaker 3: But we're gonna get to all of it in due time.
Speaker 2: So let me go ahead and share the screen, and we are going to break this story down a god a couple of little clips that we're gonna play. I got some articles that are gonna play some historical background, and still this is considered an unsolved case allegedly. So for any good cult member that would like to see what we are talking about rather than just hear about it, Jonathan, where can they go?
Speaker 1: Patreon dot com slash Cult of Conspiracy podcast. That is the best way to be able to support the show. We appreciate all the good cult members who have already done. So if you go over there, you'll have access to getting the shows a few days in advance. You'll be able to slide into our dms, You'll be able to see all of the video. That's the only place that it's up. And but let's be honest, main reason why most people go over to Patreon is because it is absolutely kick them nasty ads, baby girl, get out of here with that bullshit. You tired of skipping on your phone listening to Spotify or Apple podcasts or anything. I get it. Nobody likes ads. There's not a single person in history that has said I need more ads. Nobody says that, And so because they are somewhat, well more than somewhat of a nuisance, then go over to That's why we created Patreon. You know, we would be up on YouTube, but we got kicked off four times and we're not playing that game anymore. Okay, Patreon has allowed us to voice our free speech and we can say whatever the fuck we want, like Kamala Harris is a whore, and nobody gets ansored. It's great, It's so much fun. If you like free speech, you like being able to speak your mind, You like being able to listen to people that you know, damn well are not censored and never will be censored. Patroon dot com, slash Cult of Conspiracy podcast.
Speaker 2: Indeed, and of course if you do sign up for that third as all the way open tier. You get to join us every Tuesday night at nine pm Central for the cult member Live is a family unit. It is a collective, cohesive group. And you know what, Jonathan, I'm just saying the community that we have developed for ourselves, our cult. Everybody wants to say that we are X, Y and Z things. We're racists, we're biggots, we're homophobes, or this, we're this. We have a resident Jewish correspondent, a resident trans correspondent, a resident furry correspondent.
Speaker 3: We got them in all shapes and colors over here.
Speaker 2: If anything, we might be the most equal opportunity and inclusive cult of conspiracy community that I've ever fucking heard of.
Speaker 1: And nobody gets but hurt whenever we call things fake and gay.
Speaker 3: No one does.
Speaker 2: Not one person has gotten offend and said, Hey, actually, guys, I really didn't appreciate the way you said that. No one except that one gypsy guy. But also that that's because I commit to the bit a little too hard sometimes.
Speaker 1: But like it's all good. No, no gypsy is out there things that I'm actually hurt, like hating on them, except that one Ascabo guy too. You know, he didn't appreciate that.
Speaker 3: About that the Inuits, excuse me, not the.
Speaker 1: Eskimos, the Innuits, because you called them savages.
Speaker 2: That was a direct quote. They were calling them that. I didn't do that. The Vikings did. But yes, fair they called them wild people that were untamable, And it's like, you know, that's another weird point. The Vikings wren this whole conquest of like conquering Greenland and conquering this and whatever. They went to islands that had no one living there and took them over. The first time they met some people with some bows and arrows, They're.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, gotta get out of here. These people are crazy.
Speaker 2: It's like, cause you met resistance, bro, these are the same people, allegedly the same like Viking crowd.
Speaker 3: They're like took over Paris and shit all of a sudden. Some anyway, anyoney.
Speaker 1: No, It's like everybody has their own version of like their own definition of crazy. You know, Like you ever talk to somebody and their ex is always the craziest person that they've ever met in their life, Like everybody has one of those. It's like, damn, somebody has to have the craziest one, right, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, I feel like we've seen those on like true crimes or like was that one broken where like the chick loser minds like stabs her husband and death the bunch times, like you know what that guy might have had the craziest x rip Like there you go, you know?
Speaker 3: Anyway, All right, back to the point.
Speaker 2: Got a little short clip here, Let's learn the overarching story of the man from tourd.
Speaker 4: Nineteen fifty four, a man arrived at Tokyo's Haneda Airport with a passport from a country no one had ever heard of, Torred. His passport looked authentic, with stamps from countries across Europe. Confused authorities questioned him, but he insisted that Tord was real and locate between France and Spain. When shown a map, he pointed to Andorra, but was baffled that it wasn't labeled as Tauret. To make things stranger, the man disappeared from a locked hotel room overnight, leaving no trace. Some suggest he was a time traveler or from a parallel world. The case remains unsolved to this day. What's your theory?
Speaker 2: All right, now, let's get into it. I got a couple of little articles here. I'm gonna do my best to not let them repeat each other. But as far as the overarching story goes, that is displayed on a good bit of them. But here we go, let's get into it here. This one is from Michelle Gargillo.
Speaker 3: Gargio, there you go, Gargio.
Speaker 2: I don't know, and it's the man from Taured the airport mystery.
Speaker 3: No one can explain.
Speaker 1: Spooky season is here. So I'm doing my best to retell all of my favorite mysteries. This is one of my all time favorites. When in the summer of nineteen fifty four, a well dressed man stepped off a plane at Henita a Report in Tokyo with a crisp little passport from nowhere. He was fluent in French and Japanese and had a story that made no damn sense. His passport was from a country called Torrid. In case you're as bad at geography as me, that's a country that doesn't exist, not then, not now, and definitely not on any map we've ever seen. When Japanese authorities tried to figure out where he was really from, he confidently pointed to a spot between France and Spain. The officials told him that it was a country called Andorra. He was confused, even irritated, and he insisted that he had never heard of Andorra. He was from Torrid and his country had existed for over a thousand years. Wow, what an empire. And then while the authorities were trying to figure out what to do with the man, just like that, the man and his mystery disappeared.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I should tell people now not to give away too much, but the fact that he was fluent in French and Japanese put a pin in that one for Way Way, Way, lif La. It's gonna come into play, I promise, But for now it's still just this wild mystery that no one can solve.
Speaker 1: The story goes like this. In July nineteen fifty four, traveler arrived in Tokyo on a routine business flight. He looked European ish, wore a neatly tailored suit, and seemed completely at ease with his traveling experience until Japanese custom officers flagged his passport. His passport said that it was from a country called Torrid. The document looked genuine. It even had stamps from previous travels, including from Japan. He even had official looking currency from various European countries and a checkbook from a bank no one could find in any directory. When officials asked him to point out Torrid on a map, he placed his finger on the border between France and Spain. Rate where Andorra is, But he didn't recognize Andorra. He said he'd never even heard of it. His country, Torrid, he insisted, had been there for over a thousand years. This wasn't a vague answer someone who is living in a made up story might give. He was pretty specific. He was even confident, and seemed genuinely annoyed at their confusion the question. They questioned him further to try and make more sense of it. Where was he going, who was he meeting? Did he have contacts in Japan?
Speaker 3: All very valid questions.
Speaker 1: He gave names of a Japanese company he claimed to be doing business with, a hotel he had reservations at, and a bank he worked with. Authorities followed up with a followed up while he was being held. Oddly, none of it existed. The company existed, but had no record of him working with them. The the hotel had never heard of a reservation and had nothing saved in his name. The bank didn't exist anywhere in this world anyway, so they detained him for further questioning, intending on getting to the bottom of this. But that's where things he had even weirder. Since his story didn't add up, officials put him in a hotel room under god under guard. He wasn't arrested, but he was essential under surveillance. Two immigration officers reportedly stayed outside his door all night, and yet by morning he was gone. The guards never saw him leave. The door had not been opened, the windows were sealed shut, and they were on a high floor with no balcony or no way of jumping down. His personal belongings, such as a passport, documents, wallet, checkbook, briefcase, had all vanished too. No one ever saw him again. He was just gone, like he slipped back into whatever parallel timeline he came from.
Speaker 2: Indeed, so let's talk a little bit about what was Torrid.
Speaker 3: Supposed to be.
Speaker 1: When the man pointed to the Pyrenees, he was essentially showing the modern day location of Andorra, a real and tiny country that's been around since the twelve hundreds That's part of what makes the story so compelling to me. His claim wasn't outlandish geographically, but the name was completely foreign. He said Torred had existed for over a thousand years and that it was a respected nation. He'd claimed that he'd done business in Japan before, and he was shocked that they were giving him a hard time. One theory suggests that maybe he was from a version of reality where Andorra was called toward that in his world everything looked basically the same until he accidentally crossed over into ours. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wild, Now I should mention this as well. Right now.
Speaker 2: He said he had done business in Japan before. His passport had shown that he had come to and from Japan in recent years, so that wasn't made up either. They at one point in time, he absolutely got off the plane at the Japanese airport, got stamped in, did business, and left. This was his second or third trip back to Japan at least, so again he knew the hotel. Now, they couldn't find any kind of reservation to him, but the hotel existed. The company that he claimed that he was doing business with was absolutely a real company. But nobody at any of these locations, ever heard of this man, or had dealings with him, or had ever received money from him or anything like this.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I'm trying to figure out like what I believe about dimensions, you know what I mean? Like sure, you know, because some people will say that, you know, all dimensions are because it's not just about the dimensions, you know, you hear Anthony the Reptilian chandeler. He goes, No, it's also densities too. There's different levels of densities within each dimension. Is basically talking about like the different frequencies of each dimension whatever. Right, And so does that mean that like if someone were to live in this reality, the one that we are currently in at this moment, if they were to jump to another dimension, would it look just like this? Would everything be basically the same, but just you know, a couple of Mandela effects here and there.
Speaker 2: I guess it's it's all up into the imagination, right. So, Like let's say right now, you woke up to you're still you, You still got all the same tattoos, you have, your your phone is exactly where you left it, whatever. But you get in your car and you turn on the radio station and it's already pre programmed to some radio station you've never heard of before, and there are songs playing that you've never heard of before from an artist that you have heard of, like Snoop's new album, and it's like, wait, I'm sorry, did I miss something here? It's been at the top of the jar for the last three months. Here's Snoop Dogg And it's like, wait, oh he hasn't What the fuck are you talking about? But like, okay, maybe you found like a retro channel or some shit like that.
Speaker 3: You move on.
Speaker 2: Then you go to go grab your local, you know, your cup of Joe in the morning, and you get there and it's Comic Dollars, not Starbucks, and you're like, what what the hell is comic dollars?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And then they're like, you've never heard of the international coffee chain Comic Dollars.
Speaker 3: I think you're a little crazy there.
Speaker 1: Bro, So you're to believe that it's something like that.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, how what would you do? How would you feel if that was the case. Now, everything else is the same, street lights are the same, the city you're in is the same. It's still called Actually I don't know what city you're currently in Okay Lake Havasu. All that's the same. Everything, the culture is the same, all the stuff. It's just these weird, little nuanced differences that you're just like, I'm not crazy. That's always been Starbucks Snoop hasn't been relevant in the music scene for quite some time. What the what are you talking about here? And you just do you just kind of accept that this is reality and you're just like, huh, maybe I'm a little crazy, or do you actually fight that fight and tell people, no, you're crazy?
Speaker 3: I know, I'm right.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not gonna sit here and say that that's a crazy thing to throw out there, because I believe in some weird shit, you know. So I'm inclined to believe that all of this reality is somewhat of a malleable dream in some form or some form or fashion. Right, So to say that we can jump from another dimension of this same reality to a slightly different, you know, version of the same reality. Why not?
Speaker 2: You know, bro, what if you woke up tomorrow and all of our cars were like the British and the steering wheel was on the opposite side, and we had to start driving on the left side of the road. That was the only difference, Bro, I would crash in the first day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I was just thinking, you know, my dog's name is Fatty. What if I woke up and his name was Skinny, I'd be like, what, what the fuck? What is going on? What twilight zone are we in right now?
Speaker 3: Exactly something.
Speaker 2: When we get to this dude from Torrid, he okay, is it possible that he was on a business trip from Torrid and had a little time warp jump that he wasn't actually aware of on the plane ride over.
Speaker 3: As a matter of fact, he just he took him a little snooze on the plane.
Speaker 2: When he woke up, there were some slight differences, but not enough that would really catch his eye until he got off the plane and tried to have this business deal and the company didn't have any record of him or whatever.
Speaker 3: He says like fuck this, and I'm going back home. And now he's getting.
Speaker 2: Some guff over at the airport and he's like, Bro, I'm just trying to get home, Like what the hell? Or is there something more the theory is happening here? Is there more to the story on the back end? And all of this has been a play because your boy's riding dirty.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess anything's possible. I mean, I just I you know, I'm pretty sure that there's a little bit more to the story than you know, what we've talked about. So on the surface, I'm just like, all right, I need more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel that, let's get into it.
Speaker 1: So there are theories about what really happened. There are five main explanations people toss around on the interwebs together. Number one is that it's an urban legend and an hoax in a hoax, right, It's like, yeah, that's probably the easiest thing to assume, I would imagine, right, sure, Like if a story is too crazy, usually it's somewhat of a little campfire story, you know. Yeah, yeah, But it says this is the most grounded theory that seems the most believable. There's no official record of this event, not from the Japanese government, not from the airport, not even in contemporary news archives. Most references to the story pop up in paranormal books or Internet forums long after nineteen fifty four. So it could have started out as a bar story, a retelling of someone's dream, or an urban myth that got juicier every time it was shared. Think of it like the Mandela effect, but with a protagonist and a passport.
Speaker 3: That's a possibility for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, I mean I would like to know what the source is, like the main source, you know, like nobody in Japan. I mean that's where he was detained at, Like you would think that that's where the story came from.
Speaker 2: It is, as a matter of fact, But we're gonna get to the why there's no official record of it later on. But for those out there that are saying that this is complete hoax and it's just made up and it's just internet lore that got okay, I can at least understand why they would believe that. But there is in fact, much much more to the story and to the man in question.
Speaker 1: Only reason I say that is is that you know, I've been doing a fair amount of biblical study here over the past couple of days, just on my road trip to Arizona, and you know, most of most people would agree that there has to be some form of of a q source is what they call it, right as far as like the Four man Gospels of Matthew, Mark Luke, and John Right that I think was it. Mark, they say, is the earliest writing, right. I think they date that to like seventy somewhere around seventy fifty to seventy.
Speaker 2: So Matthew might be the earliest, but I might be getting Matthew and Mark and.
Speaker 1: One of the at whatever. But anyway, they say, well, the way that it was written, it was almost as if he had gotten that story. The writer of Mark or Matthew or whatever. The first book was that he had gotten that story from another source, and they call that the Q source, right, And so.
Speaker 3: The eyewitness source would be the Q source.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, yeah, unless it was written down somewhere and that's where he got it from. Could have been something like that, doesn't even necessarily have to be the eyewitness. But maybe it was shared from an eyewitness to another person, but it was the original writing of the you know what I mean? It could be whatever, but I got you. So that's what I'm trying to get at. Is there a fucking Q source to this story? You know?
Speaker 3: Indeed? Indeed?
Speaker 1: Okay, So nextly we have the next possibility. Some people suggest a delusional traveler could be I mean, people are crazy. Can't really put it past people, right.
Speaker 3: Jet lag hit home boy a little harder than the rest.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can't imagine to do what hit his passport though, correct, But let's continue. Some speculate this man might have had a serious mental health condition, one where he fully believed in a country that didn't exist. Schizophrenia or disassociative identity disorder could explain the confidence and detail in his answers, and maybe the passport was forged or altered to reflect his internal reality. But the this doesn't explain how he vanished from a guarded room unless the whole story was embellished or made up entirely by someone retelling its secondhand.
Speaker 3: This also is true.
Speaker 2: These are very possible, probable, even possibilities out here, But there's a little more to it.
Speaker 3: Let's keep going.
Speaker 1: I'm least inclined to believe that one. Next one is maybe he's a fucking time traveler, which, hey, you know we like time travelers. Hey, if you're already this far reading about a man from a non existing country, why not crank the weird up to eleven. Maybe he came from a different timeline, a future, a past, a sideways version of Earth where tord was very much a thing, and the Germans won World War Two. Who knows he got stuck here for a brief moment and then somehow unstuck himself. For the record, time travel is technically allowed by the laws of physics under certain theoretical models, and I love talking about it in depth, but that's a whole nother rabbit hole. If you're a time traveler. Stephen Hawking threw you a party that you forgot to go to, but I'm guessing you can fix that.
Speaker 2: I actually think, dude, I thought about this a lot, the Stephen Hawking party.
Speaker 3: You remember hearing about that.
Speaker 2: I don't so Stephen Hawking before he died, Oh they right, I was gonna say rip, but not after we learned about him on Epstein Island, which I still don't understand what the fuck he got out of it, like he.
Speaker 1: Will nothing because Epstein was the only one that was trafficking girls to himself.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course I forgot, I forgot, right, right, right right, Even though again understood, Hawking went to the island of Bunge and I guess just enjoyed watching wild shit, and like again, I don't understand, I don't understand, but he was a weird fuck anyway, So he threw a party for time travelers, and he made sure to not tell anyone about it until like two days later, or he like sent something off from the mail, and it was gonna be sure to like get out there a couple of days after the fact, specifically so that if any time travelers are out there, they would have shown up to the party because they would have gotten the information in the future and had the capabilities come back in time to the party.
Speaker 3: For the record, no one showed up.
Speaker 1: Of course, Yeah, but not even your boy John teetor or Teeter or whatever his name was.
Speaker 3: No, nobody.
Speaker 2: But I also, I'm just gonna be real, like, if I was a time traveler, if I had that capability, I had the fucking machine in my garage or whatever, you know, I wouldn't be going to his party because you understand that at that point everyone knows he's confirmed pedophile. Like, why would you want to go to this guy's party?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 1: First, so what you want to go hang out with a guy who is is? Was he paraplegic or quadriplegic?
Speaker 3: Dude, he couldn't even move his jaw.
Speaker 2: He was all the way polegic, like quadriplegic, was anything from the neck down.
Speaker 3: Homeboy could only use his brain and blink.
Speaker 1: He was omnipolegic.
Speaker 2: Even still, Like and I heard people say, well, what if all the time travelers actually were just like pulling a prank on him. I'm like, yeah, we know at your party, We're not going there because then that's gonna confirm shit.
Speaker 3: We're gonna keep it a secret for a little while longer. And it's like, or all of.
Speaker 2: The time travelers knew that he was a convict, confirmed convicted pet wee, not convicted he died, but confirmed pedophile, and they didn't want to be associated with a piece of shit like that. And it's like, you know, or or time travel is totally not real. I am of the belief that it's probably possible. I just don't think we got the tech for it as of this moment. But anyway, who knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I'm on the fence with time travel.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's probably possible, like realistically, the same way that interdimensional travel is probably possible. I don't know if the carbon based life form of our body can make the trip.
Speaker 1: Actually, I think the time travel is probably real but not in the sense that we think it is. So technically, you know, like whenever you look at a star, allegedly if space is not faking gay, I have to throw that disclaimer out. If you look look at a star that is like thousands of light years away, what you're looking at is not the light that it's currently emitting.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 1: You're looking at the light of the thousands of years ago that it took for that light to travel, right Yeah. And so I mean is that kind of time traveling. It's kind of like looking into a crystal ball a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, kind of kind of you're you're taking a snapshot of that stars past right now.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's if we are to believe that these fucking things are light years away, which you know, my mind still can't even fathom that. You know.
Speaker 2: It's like, I mean, a light year is very hard for the human brain to wrap around. Like I get that, it's not just a youth thing like realistically say saying, you know, a qua trillion, that is a hard number for us to wrap our minds around to even to Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 3: We're talking it's like an infinity that is so much.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean it's infinite, like you can't even count it. But it's like, you know, they're saying that Elon is about to be They always say that he's like the world's richest man. Get the fuck out of here with that, not anymore. Well, only reason I say that is because they say that he's about to become the world's first trillionaire. And I'm like, dude, you know how much money of fucking trillion dollars is It's a thousand billions. You know how much a billion is, It's a thousand millions. So yeah, that's that's a thousand thousand fucking million.
Speaker 2: Looking into this, there's a dude that just passed him up as being the richest man on earth. I mean, business moves. It's it's wild how I guess it's jumped up there.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I would assume that it's some Saudi prints bro, I mean you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: No, he's look him up as a matter of fact, he uh shit, what's his name? And as soon as as soon as you say it, I'm gonna be pissed off of myself. But yeah, he uh, he's a well known guy tycoon type out there. But yeah, he's either just passed up Elon or is like about two in a matter of a couple of weeks or something like that.
Speaker 3: If the money goes the way it's going.
Speaker 1: You talking about Larry Ellison, that's the guy. Oh that makes sense from fucking Oracle yep, okay, yeah, the data collector. That guy, yeah makes.
Speaker 2: The data collector that got all the government contracts. Just pass up Elon Musk as the richest guy on earth. And it's like, really, shout out, I could have seen that coming.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Texas where that facility's at, baby.
Speaker 3: And shout out to the government for spying on us, which what I.
Speaker 1: Mean does shout out to everybody for allowing the government to be okay with spotting on us.
Speaker 3: Big facts, Big facts there.
Speaker 2: Getting off of and back onto topic here for the time traveling conversation, I mean for myself personally. Yeah, if we're talking about, like it's time travel possible, yo, you give me a fifth of whiskey, I'll time travel. I will wake up in a whole new time, in a whole new place and have no idea how I got there. I'm like, that's that's not hard to accomplish. The forward time travel, I feel like it's not hard. It is that backward that seems to be the issue, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, most people were pretty good at bringing up old shit, you know, So I would say that's that's kind of like time traveling.
Speaker 2: So is it possible that this guy was a time traveler that bipped and bopped in an outbro.
Speaker 1: It's not impossible, of course, right Like you can't say no, you know, I don't know, I don't know. Was it a possible multiverse slip? I'm actually more inclined to believe this over the time travel. This is where things get juicier than watermelon in August. There's a theory in quantum mechanics called the many world's interpretation that suggests every decision spawns a new parallel universe. In some reality, you had cereal for breakfast, and another you had eggs, and yet another you are the eggs creepy. So maybe this man slipped through the seams of his universe and landed in ours by mistake, a tiny crack between realities where the geography is almost the same but not quite. He tried to blend in, but it didn't work, and then the universe corrected itself ooopsies all better.
Speaker 2: No, that is a theory that a lot of people have proposed. As far as the man from toward is concerned.
Speaker 1: I'm actually one that believes in the many worlds interpretation. As a matter of fact, I think that, you know, if we are to believe, you know, just my suggestion that this could be some And I don't even mean to say dream. It's just the closest thing that I can get to describing what I think it is. But I believe that it's probably most likely that the only reason I say this is because I think that the entire universe is mental. And that's like the that's the first law or the first principle of hermetics hermeticism, right, is that all is mental, essentially saying that you know, everything comes from consciousness, not the other way around. Right, And so I guess it wouldn't really be that crazy that literally every frame of your reality, you're jumping from one reality to another, to another to another, and dependent upon your vibe, your frequence, see your vibration, whatever people say, right, your energy, that that will determine the reality that you are in in that moment. And why they always say all the mystics and the enlightened individuals have always said that the most important time is the present, because if you're thinking about the future, I mean, you're kind of you're not You're never going to be in the future, you know what I mean. You can never exist in the future, and you can never exist in the past. And so if you're constantly jumping from you know, place to place, frame by frame, and we just kind of see it as linear happening, I don't know. I've done way too many psychedelics, That's the truth of it.
Speaker 3: No, No, I get it.
Speaker 2: I get it, and I understand the conversation of the multiverse and the possibility that this dude was a accidental multiverse traveler that did not intend to be, or possibly he's more of like a doctor Strange type dude and absolutely meant to jump into and out of this parallel multiverse situation.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the timestone, I mean, it's very possible, dude, I don't know, But that is one that we'll here proposed by a couple of other uh, you know, articles and things as we move on, and then we get to the fifth possibility.
Speaker 1: The fifth possibility would be a government cover up. Of course, some people believe the story was real and erased as per usual odd things that the government gets its hands into, that the authorities knew something weird had happened, and that maybe he wasn't even the first, or maybe he said something dangerous, or maybe his documents couldn't be explained with our current understanding of physics. Someone or so someone higher up made it disappear. You'd think if they were going to cover it up, though, they'd be better at scrubbing the story entirely. But who knows. The government always has a way of hiding things in plain sight. That is true, Yeah, that is. I mean, I don't know if there's any way that you can fully erase. I mean, there's probably a way that they'd be able to erase it, but people jop things down.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But in the nineteen fifties, right, keep this in mind, this is before they had computers. Everywhere was still they were putting in data entry logs by hand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in pin into books, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So it's I could understand and I could make sense of it. Like, Okay, dude comes up with a fake passport, that's not a good sign. We detain him, and he escaped. And keep mind this Japan after World War Two, they're still trying to show the world they're not imperial Japan. They're the more capitalist and industrial Japan. They're a whole new Japan. And they already can't keep their hands on a guy. This ain't even like some sort of international criminal.
Speaker 3: They don't know what he is. But he just was able to give them the slip. It's a little embarrassing.
Speaker 2: I could imagine a world where they covered it up just to be like, well, if we get some dude out there doing some criminal activity, we'll know this is him, but other than that, we're going to keep this under wraps for now.
Speaker 3: And he never turned back up, so it just kind of stayed under wraps, like they didn't know.
Speaker 1: They didn't want anybody to know that they were that incompetent.
Speaker 3: Yes, I could see that as a possibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: So here's the thing. It doesn't even matter if it's true. The story feels real in the way that great the great myths do it. It's got all the elements that I love, mystery, bureaucracy, frustration, and then vanishing. It speaks to the idea that reality might not be as fixed as we think. One hundred percent agree on that part that someone could show up in your city tomorrow claiming to be from a place that you've never heard of, and genuinely believe it that your entire understanding of the world could be challenged by one quiet person with a wrong looking passport. It's unsettling, and I like unsettling. I also like to believe that there are still mysteries left in the world that Google can't explain in point four seconds. Makes my life feel more spicy and exciting. Big facts, But.
Speaker 2: Now, is there any proof to this though hard, factual evidence that we could look at right now?
Speaker 1: The short answer is not really. There are no verifiable documents, no scan pass, no official statement from Japanese authorities. Every version of the story is a retelling from books like the Directory of Possibilities that was written in eighty one or the Little Giant Encyclopedia of Unexplained Facts. Interesting. Even Snopes doesn't touch it, probably because there's nothing concrete to debunk, so we're left with folklore in Internet archaeology, I get why this story triggers curiosity and a little paranoia. It's a perfect thought experiment. What if someone slipped into our world with no way back. What if they're reading this right now trying to figure out how to return, or maybe they did return and they're telling your story over there. Ooh, I like that. Why about the girl from Philadelphia who swears her flower used to be different? It remembers a world where tomatoes tasted like something. Dude, whoever wrote this article definitely smoked a big fat dube, because that's whenever the creative juice is just get flowing, you know, for this last shit?
Speaker 3: I like her?
Speaker 1: Yeah, shout out. We don't always need proof to enjoy the mystery. Sometimes the best stories are the ones that leave us with more questions than answers. Big facts, dude.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So before we go any further, Yes, I know you need more information on this, and I agree, But as of this moment, tell me what your vibe is.
Speaker 3: Where are you at with everything?
Speaker 1: I can't tell you what I think yet because I do need more, but I can tell you what I hope is true.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I hope that he slipped into this reality somehow. And the only reason I say that is is because and I'm you know, maybe I'm crazy for even believing this original story. But you know, I used to soak up a lot of Dolores Cannon's videos and books and all of her teachings and stuff like that. Right, And she talks about that there was I think, I don't know if she got this from somebody that she was giving a past life regression to, or maybe somebody told her this story. But the story goes that there was a woman that was getting ready to go to work, but her friends asked her or no, she was getting ready to go to a funeral. That's what it was. She was getting ready to go to a funeral. But her friends asked her if she wanted to go to the like the Kentucky Derby or something like that, right, And she was like, ah, you know, I really want to go, but I have to go to this funeral, like it's somebody important. I can't be missing it or anything. And her friends are like, look, come on, just come hang out for like an hour. We'll get there like halfway through. Nobody's gonna notice. We'll just slide in the back, no big deal, right, And because they were planning on attending the funeral as well, and she decided, you know, she thought about it real hard and she imagined how much fun it would be to go to to the Kentucky Derby. But then ultimately she decided, you know what, I'm just gonna go to the funeral. I don't want to risk it whatever, right, So she ends up going to the funeral, and like two hours later, the friends that invited her to go over to the Kentucky Derby said, oh my god, I hit believe it, like, like, what are you thinking right now? And she's like, what are you talking about? Like I've been over this funeral this whole time and they're like, no, you were. What are you talking about? You were just at the fucking Kentucky Derby with me. You just hit big time. And she's like, I'm telling you, I've been here this whole entire time.
Speaker 3: I did not go.
Speaker 1: And they're like, I saw you with the big check, I saw you with the smile on your face. You can't tell me that you were in there. I saw you. We talked, we talked about it, and she's like, I fucking I don't know what to tell you, like I wasn't there, right, And so the moral of the story is, could this be a you know, A many world's interpretation where because she decided to sit and think about it, that it created some kind of alternate you know, life or some or some something of the sort to where in one version of that reality she actually did go to the Kentucky Derby and actually did win all that money, and then the version of reality that she chose to, which was go to the funeral, she didn't and jack shit. So like, I believe that that kind of stuff as possible.
Speaker 2: I want to anyway realize when me and you first like started this show together and all the things, and I've heard you talk about Dolores Cannon a good bit because that is your QHHT past life progression speaking to the higher consciousness, these types of things, right, And I didn't know much about Dolores Cannon. And I for the record, before I say what I'm about to say, please do not anybody listening think that I am throwing shade towards her or her research or her field of study in the hypno space.
Speaker 1: She was just a regular person, dude. She wasn't even really like anybody super I mean, she wasn't super famous, no.
Speaker 2: No, But I didn't realize that she had so much controversy surrounding her, And I don't mean like conspiratorial, like she was a fraudulent checks and like nothing, nothing crazy like that. But I wanted to ask you this too. For the haters that are like making these articles blasting her and saying that she's a fake and this, this and this, how much of that do you think is just people that are jealous versus how many of that do you think are people that just don't believe in anything, hypno anything, so anything close to it is just gonna be hoke them, and they just were ready to shit on it. I mean, it's a she wasn't like the most polarizing figure by any means, But the people that love her love her.
Speaker 3: The people that don't fucking don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't really understand that, Like why don't you just choose not to believe? Why do you gotta throw hate?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like it's okay to say I don't believe in visiting a past life. It's okay to say that. But I do understand because we were kind of talking about about it a little bit before the show. I think whenever people are too certain of what something is, you know, and and they're talking to somebody who isn't very certain, but they keep an open mind. Sometimes those extremely certain people just rub people the wrong way, you know what I'm saying, Like I think that it's just something like that, like people who are it's like beyond confidence, you know what I mean. It's like I know, and it's like you can't possibly know. It's like you gotta leave a little bit of wiggle room, you know, like at least say you're ninety nine point nine percent short. I'd be okay with that. But when you say you're one hundred percent sure about something, it tends to rub people the wrong way. But that being said, I don't I never heard of any controversial thing about her. What I mean, what are you suggesting?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm not suggesting anything. It's from the Internet that I've looked up. When it comes to Dolores Cannon and just there are some pages that talk about how she was a pioneer in her field, and there are those that say that she was basically just taking people for a ride. And but that even the ones that are saying that, they make it seem like she was making these people have these crazy hypno sessions because she was suggesting and steering their whole thing one way or another. But that goes against the very principle of it. And I've done a past life regression with you using her principles in no way shape or did you steer the conversation in any direction.
Speaker 1: No, that's something As a matter of fact, that's like one of the main teaching points is to always be aware that you're not steering somebody in a certain direction, because then what happens is is that then the person feels like they lost control over what they're seeing because the practitioner that is hypnotizing them is telling the story for them, And so you're just gonna throw them out of it, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And then wasn't there some beef between her daughter and her best friend?
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, it's a fucking it's a fucked up story.
Speaker 2: I think that that's where a lot of the internet hate comes from, is because this person A in person B. And I'm not even saying who started the fire, you know what I'm saying, But on some real levels, they started throwing shade at each other. Their collective followings started digging up dirt and throwing shade in even deeper ways than in the mix. Dolores just kind of gets her name trunced through the mud that she never asked for nor deserved. I think that's more or less where the hate comes from, aside from those that just believe anything hypno is just a foolishness and whatever you got.
Speaker 1: The the thing is is that I don't believe that she was full of shit, because all you have to do is just listen to her. She seems like the sweetest old lady you've ever listened to in your life. She seems like your fucking grandma, who would like, come in, honey, let me make you a sandwich, give me your coat, You got anything dirty you need me to wash?
Speaker 4: Like that?
Speaker 1: Kind of like loving grandma. You know what I'm saying. I'm not inclined to believe that somebody like that is scamming people now to I mean, I absolutely believe that she believed that people were going to pass lives. Does that make her a scammer? I don't think so, right, you know, But yeah, as far as the whole so yeah, Whenever Dolores died, her daughter took it over. Her daughter's name is Julia Cannon. Julia Cannon has a bit of a track record and a bit of a criminal history. And also even before that, before her mom died, for years, Dolores was doing this and Julia didn't want any part of it. She thought that it was stupid, she thought that it was fake, she didn't believe any of it, YadA YadA, right, and then all of a sudden, in the last few years, I think, over the course of the last you know, seven or eight years that Dolorus was alive, she decided to hop on board. But it wasn't necessarily because she wanted to. It's because she didn't have any other direction to go because of her criminal history. She couldn't get hired back on for what she actually went to school for. She got canceled, bro And so she had no other fucking choice but to jump on, you know, her mom's bandwagon at that point. And so whenever Dolorus died, Julia you know, took the reins on it. And Candace kraw Goldman, who I've had, you know, the pleasure of speaking to a couple of times on Meta, she tells the whole story. Like dude, Dolores would not want it to be run like her daughter is running it, and anybody that's ever listened to Dolores's daughter talk. Not the same vibe, dude, not the same vibe. Like, I'm not even interested in talking to her.
Speaker 3: Like it's gonna say, have you ever had her on the show?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be interested in it, really, Yeah, because I appreciate Candace's outlook, which is Dolores's best friend, by the way, Like who has been there literally for like the last twenty five years of Dolores's life, thirty years something like that, Like she was actually in the journey with her right, yeah, and her daughter. I'm sorry, I think she's a fucking con artist.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 2: But is she still doing the same past life regression hit and note therapy that Dolores was.
Speaker 3: Is she's still like sticking to the to the methods.
Speaker 1: She's running the company. I don't know if she's hypnotizing anybody, but she's running the company.
Speaker 3: Yeah, damn.
Speaker 1: Which is unfortunately you.
Speaker 2: Get a cult member out there that would like to experience one of these past life regressions. Now that you are set up in asy, are you going to get back on.
Speaker 3: That, bro?
Speaker 1: I am, I am yeah, I mean I would like to probably get settled in for you know, two or three weeks, but after that, yes, I am into giving a past life aggression. And I will say, look, I mean people that you know are not even inclined to believe in it, but maybe are just a little bit curious as to what they're going to expect or what they could experience still have crazy experiences. Jacob is you know a prime example of that. Like Jacob was able to see like a whole crazy past life very detailed. Now was it a past life? Who gives a fuck if it actually was or if it wasn't what he was able to experience. And then the craziest part about a past life experience is not even the past life. It's the questions that you write down and you you give to me. And these are the questions that you ask your quote unquote your higher self, right, And they were fucking spot on, brother, like like the answer like you asked the questions, I asked them to you while you were hypnotized. I mean, they were so spot on. I was actually shocked because I was like, hold on, this guy doesn't believe in it yet he's speaking whether you want to call it the higher self or not. The answers would lead you to believe that it's coming from some higher version of your of yourself, which I guess you can call your higher self, you know what I mean. So anyway, yeah, I'm gonna be opening the backup. If anybody's interested in doing that, go to metamistics at yahoo dot com. Just created it, so there you go. Check it out, dude. And I offer rates lower than everybody in the market.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I shopped around after the fact, dude, yours are like, what half the cost of anybody close to you by comparison.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The cheapest that I had found was somebody that was offering it for four hundred dollars. I do them for two hundred bucks.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 1: Come on now, like literally, I'm I'm I'm cutting the market. Yeah, and that's like because I generally because I genuinely, like, genuinely like doing them, you know. So anyway, let's get back to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for any of the occult members, I can tell you as a former skeptic, but now I'm not gonna say I'm a believer of all of the things that are involved with it. But if for nothing else, just for the fun and the ride of it, it is worth your time. It's worth a two hundred faux show. Think about living a movie that you're in the movie like you're in it. You're not just like in a movie they're watching it. No, no, you're in it. You're actually in the scenes. Yeah, the smells, the sounds, the tastes, all the shit. It was really fucking cool.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and I've and I've heard people say, well, that couldn't be your past life. And then some people will say, well, what if you know that's you just tapped into a story that's part of like the fucking the Ether or a part of the Akashic records, that maybe it wasn't even your story, but you just tapped into the energy of that. And because some people will say, especially me, I'm coming into I'm actually about to do a show here real soon on meta and it's going to be looking into panpsychism, which is very closely related to uh pantheism, right, except for instead of all being divine and all is like the mind, which I love. I love that kind of shit. And so if all is the mind, that all you know that there's just one giant mind and all we're doing is just looking through each individual windows. And we think that it's us, but it's not really us. It's just the temporary version of us that is looking through this window. But whenever we're not this, whenever we're not looking through this window anymore, we go back to the all Some would say, maybe hey, you go back to heaven. Maybe it's the same thing, just different language. Whatever the case may be. Dude, I'm here for that shit all day.
Speaker 2: I love it all right, right, So, end of side tangent about the past lives and things, but also because we're talking about a possible parallel universe jump slash, time traveler slash who knows what I felt like? Yeah, we could take a little time for that tangent. Anyway, back to it. The man from tor it I got a quick clip. We're gonna play here, only about three minutes of it as a matter of fact, and again they're gonna retell the story a little bit and then dive into some of the theories about it in the end.
Speaker 3: So let's get into it.
Speaker 5: I've talked about topics regarding parallel universes before in this channel that mainly revolved around the idea of the Mandela effect, but there had been some unleegedly true stories that have risen about people who have traveled from their universe into this One. One of these stories is the man from Tarred in nineteen fifty four, a man in a business suit or after the Tokyo International Airport. His first language was French, but he could also speak fluent Japanese. He handed over his passport to be stamped, but soon after taken away to be asked about where he was from. The passport looked like it was real that was issued by a country called Tarred, which doesn't exist. Confused, the airport employees told the man to point out his country on a map, and he put into the principality of Endorra, located between the borders of France and Spain. The men claimed that Tarred existed for over a thousand years and he had never heard of a country called Andorra. He said he was in Japan on business, which he had done several times before. What was really strange about this or that his passport was covered in visa stamps, which had confirmed that he had made earlier trips to Japan and Are countries using this passport. In addition, he had legal Euros with him. He even showed the airport employees a driver's license and a checkbook that are both issued to him by Tarred. The airport employees were really confused at this point, so they decided to keep him in a hotel until they could figure out what to do. The exit to the hotel room was guarded by two immigration officers until the next morning. The next day, the man, along with everything he had, somehow completely disappeared from the hotel room. This was really puzzling because the door was guarded by the officers and the only other exit was a window those fifteen stories above a busy street. The police department launched a search for the man, but he was never found. So the idea that the man came from another universe where the country Tarred existed, but somehow overnight ended up returning back to his home universe. The story itself sounds pretty bizarre, but the only issue with it is that there is absolutely no proof that any of this actually happened. To this day, there are still no official documents that can verify any of the story. The story is really only mentioned in the books The Directory of Possibilities and Strange but True, Mysterious and Bizarre People.
Speaker 1: Because of lack of evidence.
Speaker 5: This story has really been regarded by most as more of just an urban legend rather than a factual account. Still, some people have speculated the possibilities of why and why not the story could be real. Some argue the reason no documentation does this exist is because an airport official would not end a report by saying someone completely disappeared along with any other trace of their existence, because of how ridiculous that would sound. I personally don't think that's a very sound argument. On the contrary, some people say one of the flaws of the story that the airport employees became immediately suspicious of the country named Tarred, which is odd because it seems like they would have just assumed there was a country they haven't heard of before, since no one really knows every single country on Earth. But I don't think that was a flaw in the story exactly. I think for an airport employee whose job is to deal with this kind of stuff on a regular basis, it'd probably be very much familiar with many more countries, so hearing a country as peculiar as Tarred would definitely be a viable reason for them to become suspicious. And then there are even some people who put out really outlandis speculations such as the man of thestorraping a government spy or something.
Speaker 3: So I want to put a.
Speaker 2: Pin in that one as well. That's a really outlandish story according to the YouTuber here. But we will get to all of this in due time. So again, kind of a retelling of it. But again, you heard the story, you heard the pieces of it all falling together. Now let's read this article from all That's Interesting dot com inside the legend of the mysterious Tard Man and why some believe he came from a parallel universe.
Speaker 1: In nineteen fifty four, a man allegedly arrived at Henita Airport in Tokyo with a passport from Torred, a country that doesn't exist. Was he a traveler from another dimension or just a small time fraudster trying to sneak into the country On a hot summer day in July nineteen fifty four, a man arrived at Henita Airport in Tokyo. For all intents and purposes, he was on.
Speaker 3: You know Matterfig're going to skip ahead on that.
Speaker 2: We've already read that one, although I should mention this is a picture from the passport, but it's an older picture. As they keep saying that there's no hardened evidence, there is a few things that have come up. As a matter of fact, this is a newspaper clipping featuring a guy named John Allen Zegris, aka the tard Man. But we are going to get to that guy and this story in depth on the back end a little bit later, So let's continue here just out of curiosity.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts on this? So, if somebody was to come here from another dimension, would they technically be an alien?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Well, like what if they're a human they speak English?
Speaker 2: Right, Like I'm not trying to play the word game here, but like, technically speaking, we have an illegal alien problem in this country right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah you mean yeah, But like by the definition of uh, I guess no, because even if we're talking about the quote unquote little green men, or like a living being from another planet, another galaxy, whatever the case, I wouldn't call some human being from another universe, another parallel universe if you will, that accidentally time warped over here. I don't believe that we would call them an alien so to speak. I think we would have to come up with a new term for him.
Speaker 1: What if they're from a thousand years in the future, but time traveler, but there are a thousand year they're from a thousand years in the future, from another dimension, and then they step into ours.
Speaker 2: I would then call him a time traveler at that point, because it's almost like, all right, think of a back to the future. Right back to the future too, whenever Doc said, we have this timeline and then this was the day that we did this, so we started a whole other timeline. But it's still humans, it's still Earth, it's still the town, it's still all this. So at that point, it's just a time traveler. And he was from a different timeline, i e. A parallel universe, but it's still our reality, just a different version of it.
Speaker 1: God, I need to get back on back to the future. It's been a hot minute since I watched those movies.
Speaker 3: Classes indeed, I am, I like, I will have.
Speaker 1: A dolore in one day.
Speaker 3: Dude, do you know how hard they are getting to find?
Speaker 1: I'm sure.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Oh God, fuck that.
Speaker 2: Oh I mean, if I'm having one, it's just to look at in the garage and laugh at dude, the Gremlins were a It's like saying a hugo like, I'm okay, I don't need that problem in my life. I like having my mental sanity and not having to fuck with it at least twice a week just to keep a bage running.
Speaker 1: What was that a Plymouth or Dodge or what was that?
Speaker 3: Shit? Who made the Hugo?
Speaker 1: No, the Gremlin?
Speaker 3: Oh, the Gremlin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to say it was like I want to say it was.
Speaker 3: I think it was GM. So it might have been a Dodge. God, you got me thinking now, Oh not the movie.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the Gremlin was made by the American Motors Corporate AMC. It was introduced, okay AMC. Oh, that's like the holy shit, that's crazy. That's just like the DeLorean was an AMC.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, what a coincidence. We just bring that both of those up like that.
Speaker 3: It is crazy and also it's kind of it's sad.
Speaker 2: Dude, the dude who created the DeLorean, he believed in his thing so hard that he was willing to get into the drug cartel game to front load the capital needed to keep his car company running.
Speaker 3: Old DeLorean rip anyway, Yeah, such a good one. Dude.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sorry, I'm tripping. The Doloorian was a DMC, not AMC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought Delarean Motor Company was its own thing, because I know he to my knowledge, he only came out with the one model, and whenever it didn't immediately sell like hotcakes and shit, he ended up turning to running drugs to keep the lights on for his business and then got caught up. So not only did his company go down, but he went down that way too.
Speaker 3: It was a mess.
Speaker 1: Stop sharing the screen for a second. Let me just show this creature, dude.
Speaker 3: Oh god, what creature. I'm afraid of what you're about to show?
Speaker 1: Man a kremlin, dude. Yeah, what a beautiful specimen. It's it looks one of the most specimens has ever been. Dude, I'm see. I'm personally I'm a huge hashbag fan.
Speaker 3: So I with a hatchbag. That's a coop hatchbag. Dog.
Speaker 1: It's a hatchback, though, isn't it. Yeah? Look well kind of No, the whole back doesn't open up, just the back window. I mean by definition, but I mean that bitch is a two seater, Ain't it looks like it? Yeah, it's a two seater hatchbag. No, they're seating their seats in the back, is there? Yeah, huh.
Speaker 2: I don't even think I've ever seen one like in the wild, like in real life, because these things they were they were known for exploding.
Speaker 1: Look how fucking gangster that car looks.
Speaker 2: Though I love it, I've never seen a gremlin or a picture there of and been like, damn that car fucks dude.
Speaker 1: The only reason I say that my my my dad was just telling me a story. We were on this long road trip. I just as of today, just moved to Arizona from Texas. Right, So, me and my dad road tripped out to Arizona and he was telling me about the time that you know, my aunt, his sister used to have a gremlin. I was like, the fuck does a gremlin even look like? And I'm looking at it and I'm like, well, what a fucking sex piece, right.
Speaker 3: Looks at a Hugo.
Speaker 2: That's another one that you knowing that you get down with this, you'll probably get down with a Hugo.
Speaker 3: You'll probably go down a pacer. Uh.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure it's a Hugo. Not Hugo.
Speaker 2: Well maybe from Pennsylvania where the age is more of a suggestion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a Hugo with a y Oh. Man, I tells you how much I know, dude. The you go fucking dude, the you go fox too.
Speaker 2: I thought you would say that, Oh look up a pacer, Dude, you're probably gonna think that bitch fucks too.
Speaker 1: Look at this one.
Speaker 3: This is the new they're bringing it back.
Speaker 1: Let's go, dude, shut up.
Speaker 3: Wow an ev you go.
Speaker 1: I hope that's real.
Speaker 2: I honestly I feel horrible because I honestly thought it was pronounced hugo and just these people were being funny calling it a Yugo this whole time.
Speaker 3: I had no idea.
Speaker 1: Oh look there's that. There's another AMC. There's a Pace, the AMC Pacer. So the Pacer and the Gremlin made by the same company.
Speaker 3: They look like it.
Speaker 1: Almost looks like a herst a little bit. Look at that fucking back window, dude, that is badass.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Jonathan, you you should have been born and like been in your twenties in the eighties.
Speaker 1: Dude, my god, dude, look at this fucking thing. It's almost like so dinky. It's like what a Porsche aspires to be.
Speaker 3: Dude, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: No, I'm just saying the Porsche wants to be a pacer when it grows up. I'm saying, dude, then you throw a little flamage on the sign. Oh mind, yeah, I mean, save some pussy for the rest of us after that. I'm just saying, like, it looks really cool. Like you don't see interesting cars like this on the road anymore.
Speaker 3: There's a reason. How sick that is?
Speaker 1: I mean, am I strange for thinking that's cool?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, it's There's two types of people in this world, right, But I'm not saying that one's wrong or not like that. I usually make that kind of a joke, but no, dude, it's like, for instance, you think that the Fox Body must things are like their sickest models. I think those are their worst models. Oh, there's two types of people in this world.
Speaker 1: That Fox body Mustang Fox Yeah, there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: I think those are ridiculous looking. But dude, you know what, that's what you need. You know, I was looking at get in a new the new VW microbus. You know what I'm saying, the new ones that just came out. Those things are sick. You need to get you a fuck solid ass pacer with that fat back glass going on. And I'm not saying that like to be shitty, like actually thinking that you would dig that you should.
Speaker 1: Go for it, oh dude. Like currently right now, I have a twenty twenty two charger, right, nothing crazy, it's a V six. But even driving that, I I almost have damn near wet dreams of my old car that was a Nissan Versa hatchback. Like that was my favorite car of all time. And I even named it, and everybody knows what card it's. The toaster is what I call it, because it literally looked like a metal toaster that you toast bread, you know what I mean. But manned that car. It fucked And dude, it was a little four cylinder you got like six hundred miles to a full tank. It was crazy. We should go ahead and get this out of the way.
Speaker 2: Now, every car that we have been talking about, aside from the DeLorean, is a known Lemon.
Speaker 1: Just so you know, I'm sure you caught up a little bit of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those cars we were just looking at are the bad guys from that the Lemons. They are trying to like take out blight and McQueen and Materer and all those you go, Pacer a Grimlin. These are like the Hinchman for the bad guys in that movie. These car are known to be horrible built cars.
Speaker 3: Horribly built, I.
Speaker 1: Should say, And you say bad guys, I say misunderstood.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Now, that being said, if you were to take the body of that car and do some sort of engine swap to something that's more reliable, you might have something to fuck with on your hands. But yeah, god, I did not think we were going to take that side tangent, But I'm not mad that we did.
Speaker 3: So, like here we are.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, hey, we just have different flavor.
Speaker 3: That's all, all right, So let's get back back to the article. Let's go all right.
Speaker 1: So, to some the story of the Torrid Man as he became known, serves as evidence that there are indeed universes parallel to our own, as the man himself may have accidentally slipped into our dimension, one where Torrid never existed. Others have suggested the entire story is nothing more than fiction. The truth, however, lies somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 3: As it typically does.
Speaker 2: Now, this is a picture of Andorra right the spot he pointed to on the map. It's right there in the middle of the Pyrenees Mountains is the mountain range that separates Spain from France.
Speaker 3: Cool and he.
Speaker 2: Pointed to this one small section. And Andorra is a spot that has been around since the twelve hundreds. Like it's a very old place. It's I don't want to say it's like a micronation, but it's basically its own autonomous region, even though they acknowledged the Prime Minister as France to be their figureheads.
Speaker 4: So like it.
Speaker 2: You know, when Europe got sliced up after World War One and then again subsequently after World War Two, maps got drawn crazy. Different little principalities were vying for their own autonomy. Some got enveloped into bigger countries, some through some you know, treaty, this treaty that next thing. You know, they kind of are their own thing, but not exactly what kind of You'll have that from time to time. Right, So this is Andorra. Now let's talk more about this parallel universe situation.
Speaker 1: There are several components to the story of the Man from Torrid that have led some curious minded people over the years to the conclusion that he hailed from another dimension. The first is the country of tord itself. When presented with a map and asked to point out the country, the man is said to have pointed to Andorra, between Span and France. As he quickly became angry and confused. Why was his home country of Tourd not listed on this map? This is where it should be and where it had been for over a thousand years. The man is also said to have had currency from several European countries on his person and stamps from numerous airports around the globe or flat earth. He had even visited Tokyo on several previous occasions, yet the company he claimed to work for had never heard of him, nor had the hotel he allegedly had a reservation at, or the company officials in Tokyo he was supposed to be meeting with. Despite this, the man supposedly had various documents that supported this story. Then, of course, was the man's disappearance from his hotel room. The room was several floors up and lacked a balcony. The police reportedly even determined that the man could not have escaped via the windows, and the guards never saw the man leave. In combination, these circumstances have led many to the conclusion that the man had accidentally crossed into our dimension from a parallel one, and this parallel universe, they say toward, really did exist, and the man was telling the truth. His disappearance is often attributed to him sliding back into his own universe, again, seemingly without any intention or explanation. It's an incredibly interesting story, unbelievably so, some might argue, fair.
Speaker 2: Enough, Now let's get into this guy, John Allen Zigris. All right, and as a matter of fact, we could pull up this Wikipedia page about and now John Zigris here. So just going off with the overview, here is the reported name of a man detained in nineteen sixty in Japan for alleged document fabrication. He was dubbed the Mysterious Man by Japanese news at the time and became the prototype for some urban legends.
Speaker 3: So here's the incident.
Speaker 2: In October nineteen fifty nine, a man recorded as John Allen kukshar Zigras, thirty six years old, into Japan with his Korean wife. Three months later, he was arrested by the Tokyo Metropolitan Police suspected of identity fraud. He tried to cash a two hundred thousand yen check in a one hundred and forty dollars travelers check at the Japanese office of Chase Manhattan Bank, and a one hundred thousand dollars yin sorry one hundred thousand yin at the Japanese office of the Bank of Korea. The case was investigated by a guy's name I can't pronounce, let's just call him Sassa as his last name, at the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department Public Safety or Public Security Bureau, who would later write about Zigris in his memoirs. Although his passport contained the stamps of Japanese embassies in different East European countries, the passport was determined to be counterfeit. Moreoven Moreover, a visa was issued by the Japanese embassy in Taipei. According to the records, Zigris said he was born in the US, moved to the U through Czechoslovakia and Germany, and attended high school there. During World War Two, he was a pilot of the Royal Air Force and was once captured by the Germans. After the war, he lived in Latin America. Later, he became a spy for the Americans in South Korea, served as a pilot in Thailand and Vietnam, and after that he worked for the United Arab Republic. He arrived in Japan for a secret mission which included recruiting Japanese military volunteers for the United Arab Republic. Eventually, after contacting the mentioned countries, it was ruled that the information was not based in any facts and the seals on his pseudo passport were proven to be fabricated. Now, on August tenth of nineteen sixty, the Tokyo District Court reviewed the case and sent in Zigris to one year in prison. After the announcement, he tried to commit suicide by cutting his veins to the piece of glass secretly brought by him to the court. After his release, Zigris was deported from Japan to Hong Kong, from where he recorded the entire region.
Speaker 3: My wife was deported back to South Korea. Now, damn this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the guy was kind of crazy with it, Don't get me wrong. But there's a lot more that goes to this guy than we're just hearing right now. But we're gonna get to that here.
Speaker 3: In a bit.
Speaker 2: Now, let's read about this dude from the all That's interesting article. Now, this is a picture of him at this airport. Oh, I'm sorry, that's him, I think, But anyway, let's continue.
Speaker 1: Okay, this reminds me of what was the guy that got away with stealing money from the airplane and then jumped and escaped right?
Speaker 2: Oh, dB Cooper, dB Cooper. Yeah, so that is another story. But keep in mind this guy actually didn't rob a bank. He didn't you know, fly out anywhere. As a matter of fact, you just like slipped detection and was never heard from again. This guy the man from Torrid, so to speak. But I meant, I'm glad that you brought up that. You can already kind of see some resemblance to another story, because, as it turns out, there is another story from a guy from this timeframe that got so popular, in fact, that a movie was made about him starring Leo DiCaprio.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk about that one in a minute, but let's continue.
Speaker 1: Oh was it aviator or aviation or what?
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, not Howard Hughes. Although that guy in and of himself is enignatic.
Speaker 2: We also I actually was thinking about doing an episode on him talking about how they were looking for a Russian submarine that got lost that had nukes on it, and so Howard Hughes bought a boat and it was fitted out with all of these components and shit. But then it was also under a shell company and did it actually ever happen? And it's wild but no, no, no, Howard Hughes a different conversation. We'll get to it, I promise, let's keep going.
Speaker 1: According to Snows, a real life incident inspired the story of a Man from Torrid, but it is a greatly embellished and fantastical version of the far less sensational real story end quotes. As exciting as the idea of a visitor from another dimension can be, the unfortunate reality is that the Torrid man was nothing more than a simple fraudster. There is a considerable amount of evidence to suggest that the true identity of the man from Toward was John Allan Zegris, who was arrested in Tokyo in nineteen sixty for trying to cash phony checks after using a false passport to get into the country. On July twenty ninth, nineteen sixty, a debate in the British House of Commons referred to the case of John Allen Zegris, who it was said, described in quotes himself as an intelligence agent for Colonel Nasser and a naturalized Ethiopian. This man, according to the evidence was, has traveled all over the world with a very impressive looking passport. Indeed, it is written in a language unknown and has remained unidentified, although it has been studied for a long time by philologists.
Speaker 2: So this is where the plot starts to get a little thicker. We're going to get more into it, I promise.
Speaker 1: But so at least the man existed.
Speaker 3: The guy John Alexegris existed, no doubt.
Speaker 2: But the story that he told them about how he was born in America, made his way to England, then went to the Czech Republic.
Speaker 3: Then did here, then went there.
Speaker 2: Then he was a pilot for the Royal Air Service or Royal Air Force, I should say, not the Ris. But my point is he was a pilot for the British during the war, got shot down, was prisoner from the Germans.
Speaker 3: All these things. He was thirty two, and this was in nineteen fifty nine.
Speaker 1: People used to accomplish a lot of shit before they turned a certain age back in the day.
Speaker 2: I feel like, no, no, no, no, dude, I'm saying like that would mean that he was a pilot when he was what twelve? Oh yeah, Like this is what I'm saying. The more of his story just kind of doesn't make sense. Then we get to this other part. He's his first language was French. He was also very fluent in Japanese. Yes, but he didn't speak English, which he claimed that he was born in America, then made his way to England and all these things. But according to this he told them, and this was talked about in the British House of Commons. He was an intelligence agent for Colonel Nasser and it naturalized the opia. Now for those that may not understand what this might mean, Okay, Colonel Nasser was the leader of Egypt at one point in time, and Ethiopia and Egypt. Ethiopia had your boy Hussein Salome excuse me, the guy that the Rasafarians believe was the second coming of Jesus Christ. Okay, so this guy and Naser did not jive. And Ethiopia and Egypt are really close to each other. So there were some spy versus spy games that were going on with these countries at this time. And keep in mind, this guy claimed that he was a secret agent for the Arab States, which you see what I'm saying. It's like he just hit blender on story time and just to let that bitch roll out. But he said enough things to where it kind of made a little bit of sense. If this guy was an intelligence agent. Okay, if he was a spy, it would make sense that he would have forged passports, and if they were forged, well, it would make sense that you would see so many stamps as if he had been to so many countries. He did have euros on him from or not euros exceym Us before the EU, but he had money from multiple European countries. His passport had already gotten him into and out of Japan at one point in time. Apparently this guy came with his South Korean wife and all these things. It's like, there's certain things about this story that don't exactly make sense. But again, this is a completely unsolved case, and some say it's all just an urban legend and none of it's based in facts, even though John Allen Zegris absolutely existed.
Speaker 1: But but also this was way back in the time where airport security was like non existent. I mean, oh, probably not in airplanes, yeah, probably not even just in Japan, like probably all over the damn world, right.
Speaker 2: Everywhere, Dude, you could nobody questioned if you had a gun on you or or carried a knife, or if you could just smoke on a plane with a babysit next to you. Okay, nobody can. This is the nineteen sixties. But keep in mind also our fifties and sixties. You wore a suit and tie to go on to a plane, like it was a whole affair. You weren't dressing in pj's with your neck roll to go on this flight. You were dressing like you wanted to impress people to get on an airplane.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those airplane pillows are slept on.
Speaker 2: But anyway, anyway, let's continue into this story. Like I said, it's getting wilder and wilder the more we dive in here, y'all.
Speaker 1: The House member continued, describing Zegris's passport as seemingly issued in the city of tam and Roset, the capital of the state of Torrid, which Zegris claimed was an independent state of roughly two million people south of the Sahara. The debate aimed to illustrate how easily passports could be forged the bank.
Speaker 2: Now, keep in mind he said that Torrid was between Spain and France. In Andorra, right, Tamarro set is the is one one of the cities in Algeria, which, just so everybody's clear, Algeria speaks French. Oh, but again he's talking about how it's a country of roughly two million people south of the Sahara. After he just got done telling the Japanese people that it's between Spain and France, it gets wilder.
Speaker 3: Let's keep going.
Speaker 1: The Vancouver based paper called The Province also reported on Zegris at the time, writing in quotes, mister Zegris wanted to travel around the world to impress officials. He invented a nation, a capital, a people, and a language. All these he recorded on a passport which he made himself. End quote.
Speaker 2: Now the Province also we have that article. We are going to pull up here in a minute, but let's continue.
Speaker 1: According to the report, Zegris was able to travel all across the world successfully using his fake passport, particularly across regions of the Middle East, When people doubted his documentation, he invited them to read a small proclamation stamp beneath the national symbol of tour, which read in quotes something that is not a real language.
Speaker 2: It's not like for the right we could try to read rich ubwei oustra negusi habisi twap tarapa good job. It's it's all just made up though this language, it was written in a dialect nobody understands, and by some reports it was even written in in a in pen in a way that nobody could understand.
Speaker 1: May as well have just been speaking doth raki, you know, basically, yes, the saying or this saying means nothing in any language. It wasn't until or Zegris tried to visit Tokyo that his passport was finally thoroughly scrutinized and his story didn't hold up. Japanese officials studied the maps, saw that there was no state of Torrid, and began taking steps to prosecute Zegris. The province paper referred to Zegris as a quote a martyr to Japanese thoroughness end quote.
Speaker 3: I guess, I guess.
Speaker 2: So this is a picture of the Japanese airport in the mid nineteen fifties.
Speaker 3: Noise. I mean, it's crazy to think that this is in Tokyo. Dude.
Speaker 2: When you think of Tokyo today, you think of like all of the lights, the biggest of big city vibes, all the things.
Speaker 3: This is the little airport in the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 2: Keep in mind, they just had two nukes dropped on mainland Japan less than ten years from when this was taken. Now, not in Tokyo, of course, it was other places, but like I'm just saying it was. It was just a different world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: Reddit user tera Eochi posted several Japanese newspaper articles from the summer of nineteen sixty to the winter of nineteen sixty one that covered the tord Man case, which offered even more insight into the truth behind this legend. According to the report, Zegris attempted suicide shortly after being sentenced to one year of imprisonment by the Tokyo District Court on charges of illegal entry and fraud. Yep, that'll get you, they will. Indeed, when he was informed of his sentencing, he reportedly shouted and quotes, I'm going to kill myself and slashed his arms with pieces of broken glass bottle that he had kept hidden. Zegris had entered Japan using his fake passport on October nineteen fifty nine with his Korean wife, but while in the country, he struggled to pay for his stay. He cashed out roughly two hundred thousand yen, which is worth about fourteen hundred and six dollars worth of counterfeit checks at various Tokyo banks, and also claimed to be both from the CIA and the FBI working in Japan on orders from an Arab related organization end quotes.
Speaker 2: Also, who screams that and then does it? I'm going to kill myself like you, You don't announce it. You just looking for attention at that point. All right, You're going to jail for a year, bro, Get over it. It's a year. One year in a Japanese jail when they're on the rebuild vibe like this sit in wartime Imperial Japan, where you've got the dudes that are making sure that of all the worst ways to kill someone like you're gonna be fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: To be fair, I think that most people that say they're going to kill themselves, it is more of an attention thing that I believe.
Speaker 2: So I don't like to say that though, but yeah, it's it's ridiculous that they would do it in this way, but whatever.
Speaker 1: Papers also noted that Zegris's report or passport rather was the size of a weekly magazine and was recognizable at a glance as a fake. Perhaps the most surprising component of Zegris's story, however, is that he never actually spent any time in prison. By the time all was said and done, the number of days he had already spent in detention outweighed his sentence, and so he was released on time served. Ultimately, Zegris said that he would leave Japan to start a new life in a new country. No one ever learned where he really came from or who he really was, and after he left Japan, his name never appeared in any significant historical way.
Speaker 2: Now you see what I mean as far as the possibility of like air national spy kind of thing goes. And I'm not saying FBI, CIA or anything like that, but if he was from some Arab country, maybe Egypt, maybe Ethiopia, maybe Saudi Arabia for all we know, we don't know, right, he was a fair or complexed guy, but had a beard, and he didn't look he didn't look European. He looked European ish, could have been a little light all of complexion kind of guy, you know what I mean? That could mean so many things racially ambiguous if you will, right, Yeah, I mean all that to say, his passport was the size of a weekly magazine. But there were appropriate stamps from multiple countries. So apparently this giant passport was good enough to pass scrutiny from all these other countries. Now, granted, the scrutiny of the airports in the Arab world in the nineteen fifty probably weren't the best on earth, probably not, you know, but European countries. Keep in mind a lot of them were on the rebuilding vibe after World War Two. A lot of them had the ship bombed out of them. Maybe their security wasn't the best in the world either. And the other thing is he kept saying that he was working on behalf of the Egyptian government. So when he would provide this passport, they didn't just let him through. They rolled out the fucking red carpet for him. Because he was not acting as a foreign dignitary, but essentially he was acting on behalf of the president of a country that everybody could recognize. They was, oh, sure, sure, man, whatever you say, let's go. No one ever really stopped to read his passport. Then Japan final was like, where the hell is Torrid? What are you talking about? And that led to everything else.
Speaker 1: But well, I feel like, you know, if you think about what are they called air marshals and shit? Right, Like, I just recently watched this movie about an air marshal. It was Liam Neeson. It's actually a pretty horrible movie, but Liam Neeson just makes everything better, you know. Indeed, and supposedly the air marshals and the pilots don't have to really go through the whole security process. They can kind of just skate by, right, Yeah, And so I would imagine that if you're already doing that for those kind of people. I mean, would you make the president of the United States show his passport if it's an easy, easily recognizable face. I mean, you would probably just let him slide by, especially in those times.
Speaker 2: I mean, to be fair, when I went to France, I still do this day, don't have a passport, and I've been out of the country. But I was there for work and I have a military ID, and we didn't like go through customs. We are carrying weapons, Like, we didn't go through customs when we landed at the airport in Paris. We afloaded our own shit. So I mean it's there's stipulations and there's like loopholes, if you will, for when you're on business for that type of business, military or government or otherwise. So yeah, but even still, this is before they even had air marshals. That didn't become a thing until like the was it the shoe bomber, I don't know, I don't know when it started, but yeah, this is this is well before any of that kind of shit.
Speaker 3: So I mean that's the thing. He kind of skated by.
Speaker 2: So many countries just let him through because he said the right things and he looked the right part, and they weren't.
Speaker 3: They are not.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine being the desk worker at some airport in just any old country, doesn't matter. In nineteen fifty five, this guy's claiming to be a foreign dignitary. He's got all this information about some country you've never heard of. But I mean, you're not the you're not the knowwher of all things worldwide here, I mean, sure enough, and you see that his passport has been stamped from appropriate parties at all these other places. What are your chances that you're gonna call your boss to be like, hey, this guy doesn't make sense, or are you gonna pencil whip it like the last five countries before you did, just to get him out of your face and move on to the next customer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and there's probably an instance where somebody doesn't want to look stupid. They see that other people have already done it, and they're like, well, I don't want to seem like, you know, I'm the hold up, you know what I mean? Like, it could be just a situation like that. By the way, you're going to risk.
Speaker 2: Your job for this guy who's claiming to be somebody as a you don't know if it's an ambassador, you don't know if it's a secret agent.
Speaker 3: Or some sort of security force from another country.
Speaker 2: You're gonna you're willing to risk your job when clearly eight other countries did their background checks.
Speaker 3: Clearly they know what they're doing. Yeah, it makes sense to me.
Speaker 1: The Federal Air Marshal Service began March second, nineteen sixty two, as part of the FAA Peace Officers Program in response to increasing hijackings.
Speaker 3: So this was before that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, man, let's see we were ultimatelyast Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, we read that one. So as John Allen Zegris faded into obscurity, his story did the opposite. It traveled across the world, transforming from tail to a a tale of a fraudster traveling across the world into the urban legend of the Man from Torrid, an extra dimensional human existing in our universe for but a brief moment before disappearing as if he had never been there at all.
Speaker 2: Now there's more to it, right, the Japanese security that was posted outside of his door and the guy disappeared. That has a little more basing reality than what people really want to give it.
Speaker 3: Credit for him.
Speaker 2: We're going to get into that as well. But this is Andorra, right, and I figure we could show some pictures of it. It's as n It's kind of a vacation destination, dude, the Pyrenees Mountains.
Speaker 3: It's like, got a bunch of ski resorts and shit, it's a nice spot.
Speaker 1: Looks like the Alpine.
Speaker 2: Right now, this is an article clipped from the Canadian news called The Province, okay, and this is all about the man from Torrid. And so whenever they say that no one else has really ever heard of him, well somebody somewhere did.
Speaker 1: Let's keep going here, all right, man with his own country. Everyone who has run in to officialdom to his cost and wondered at the ridiculous questions asked of Taurus will have sympathy for a man sonorously named John Allen Coucher Zegris. Mister Zegris wanted to travel around the world to impress officials. He invented a nation, a capital, and a people and a language, all of these recorded on a passport which he made himself. Victims of bureaucracy all over the universe will be delighted to hear what that He was wonderfully received everywhere, well almost everywhere. John claimed to be a naturalized Ethiopian and an intelligence agent for Colonel Nassar. The passport was stamped as issued as tam and Rissette Rasset.
Speaker 3: How do you say that tam and.
Speaker 1: The capital of Torrid south of the Sahara any places so romantically named ought to exist, but they don't. John Allen, coucher Zegris invented them. Armed with his Armed with this wonderful documents, Zegris traveled royally through the Middle East, accepting homage as he went, and if there were any doubters, they were invited to read a kind of proclamation beneath the national Towards stamp. It read that which Jacob tried to read earlier. There was another language that was the clincher, but didn't mean anything in any language. The gallant gesture for the individualists unfortunately ended with the Japanese in Tokyo. They began looking up maps, and John Allen is in court a martyr to Japanese thoroughness. Okay, his action takes precedence. We think over the American citizen who flew his own plane around the world, wearing his own uniform, receiving homage from all and sundry Man. They just talked way different back in the day. But the more we ponder on mister Zegris, the more we wish uh there were really a capital called Tamarasset and the electable country of towards south of the Sahara with the language language like the one Zegris invented. All its citizens would be blessed with John Allen sterling attitude towards collectors of useless information.
Speaker 3: That being said, this is Tamarasset.
Speaker 2: It's a city in Algeria as a matter of fact, and it's got national parks. It's got a volcanic place that you can go check out. It is a place that does exist. But again, this is not the uh, this is not the place that your boy claimed that he was from. Algeria is way over here. It's it's just north of Molly and Niger, to the right of or to the east i should say, of Morocco. That's not near Egypt or Ethiopia. This is this is This is Spain right here. This is the Strait of Gibraltar. So your boy was from around North Africa, allegedly with the name of Tamarasset. But again, and it's not even like it's the capital city either. It's a small region or a small city within a larger region that no one ever really has heard of unless you're just in it when it comes to geography and things like that.
Speaker 3: But that being said, this is his passport.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, yeah, man, look at that name Jennans for Behoedric.
Speaker 3: Pdrick, Yeah, Berderick or herder I don't know. This is another.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whenever you start looking up the United Kingdom of Torrid, you're gonna find this thing.
Speaker 3: Genasf Broderick. Fucking Broderick.
Speaker 1: Wait a second. You see September eleventh on there?
Speaker 3: I do September eleventh to September of eighty eight. No, that can't be right.
Speaker 4: What is that?
Speaker 3: And then down here it says the sixteenth of July the data birth. What there's a date of issue in his date of birth?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. Eighty eight. Well I guess, well, I guess it could have been eighteen eighty eight. Well he wasn't that old though, because this happened in the fifties and sixties exactly.
Speaker 2: No, but again, he doesn't look Even if this is supposed to be eighteen eighty eight, this guy is not looking like he's seventy years old.
Speaker 3: He was thirty six.
Speaker 1: Maybe he's from twenty thousand, eighty eight.
Speaker 3: You never know.
Speaker 2: This is why so much speculation has been towards like, okay, time traveler. Maybe I don't know, but anyway, so let's learn about old zennisfer.
Speaker 1: So Uh nineteen fifty four, while entering a man named jet jenansfur Burr Hodrick at Tokyo International Airport. The investigator, wondering to see his passport, Becca used, because I'm sorry, because oh because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it cuts off weird on this. That's why this article did this. It does that all the way down. There's words that like cut off halfway. So I do apologize for.
Speaker 1: That, okay. So because it was said that he lived in a country called Torrid, which does not exist in the man's passport, the investigator said, the passport is wrong. The country of tour does not exist. Zenanspur Hautrick also told the explanation and location of the tord but no matter where you were, no country was found. So zenasf ver Hadrick stays at the hotel under strict management. But one day zanask for of a, Hodrick disappears from the hotel and even all his belongings disappear. However, dozens of security officers were surrounding the hotel, so it was an environment in which it was impossible to escape and go out. So the reality of it, it says in October of nineteen fifty nine, a man named John Allen kucher Zegris, who was thirty six years old, enter Japan with his Korean wife. Three months later, he was arrested by Tokyo police on charges of identity fraud. He was caught trying to cash at two hundred thousand yen Czech and traveled in a travelers check worth one hundred and forty dollars at the Chase Manhattan Bank Japan branch and trying to cash one hundred thousand yen at the Bank of Korea's Japanese branch since then. The man was born in the United States and moved to England through Czechoslovakia and Germany, where he went to high school there. And during World War Two he was a Royal Air Force pilot once he was captured by the Germans, and after the war he went to a Latin America and lived in Latin America later.
Speaker 2: Right, so they're gonna repeat pretty much the same story that we read on a former article. But my point is hearing these things, right, the checks that he tried to cash, and then this whole backstory. Now we're hearing about this jenasfer Roderick guy. This is the first time we've heard this name. It's all been about other people, other places, all this, but this passport is legitimate.
Speaker 3: So where where is the truth? Where is the Internet hoax? Where do the lies start? And stop? Right? Let's jump over here.
Speaker 2: This is an article from Ghost Machine, and I think they do a very good job of breaking it all down for us. The Man from Towards Solved John Zigris and how a real life event became an urban legend.
Speaker 1: Way back in twenty fifteen, when the ghost in in My Machine? Great beer by the way, and ghosts in the Machine? Ye, Who's what's the name of the Is that ten tin roof that makes that? I think right?
Speaker 3: I think so?
Speaker 1: Shout out baton rouge beer baby. Anyhow, when the Ghost in My Machine was still in its early years, I took a relatively brief look at the story that had been circulating for some time regarding a figure known as the Man from Torrid. At the time, I'd come to the conclusion that the mystery was likely an urban legend. There was little to no information actually backing it up, with the tail mostly being repeated over and over as hearsay. No reliable sources cited. A year or two ago, though I saw started seeing some chatter about or some chatter that the Man from Toward mystery had been solved. He was actually a man called John Zegris, and he had been detained in Japan due to a forged passport circa nineteen fifty nine to nineteen sixty. All right, so he goes, he goes. I'll admit that initially I was skeptical. At first. I was mostly seeing the basic information of this possible solution passed around the same way the original Man from Towards story had been, that is, briefly and without much in the way of citations to support the claim. But I figured it was worth looking into any way to see if it actually checked out, because well, that's what I do. The short answer is the version of the story I had previously looked at is an urban legend, but as is often the case with urban legends, it does appear to have its basis in a factual event. John Zegris did exist, he did arrive in Japan in nineteen fifty nine, and he did get into some trouble in early nineteen sixty due to passport forgery, among other things. Mean, while the long answer the story of how Zegra's case was unearthed by modern day Internet salutes and his connection to the man from Torrid. Legend uncovered is quite a ride. We've got three primary people to thank for uncovering the various bits and pieces that allow us to see the big picture here. Nathaniel Attinoli, who kicked the kick this leg of the investigation off on Reddit in July of twenty nineteen. Julia Lewis, who added to the search of the Fortia for Fortiana forums under the username A Nanni Jay in March of twenty twenty and later published her fundings in a write up for the June twenty twenty one issue for The fourteen Times. And redditor and note dot com user Tera Eochi, who in November of twenty twenty dug up Japanese news coverage of the Zegras story from the time at which it was actually unfolding. Additionally, I located a blog post from Hattina blog user Gryfon that I found to be enormously useful as I started looking into the whole thing myself, as it provided access to a key Japanese source information contained within Atsi Yuki Sasa's book called The spies who passed me by. I wouldn't have even been able to parse otherwise some names in there.
Speaker 2: There is indeed, so basically this person is showing their homework, showing their sources, and this is the story that they have been able to extrapolate from all these sources, some of them Americans, some of them Europeans, some of them Japanese who were there that were actually like documenting the things, and well, I mean they weren't there, but they are documenting the paperwork in the story from the events that took place, and they're actually there in the country now so they have more access to those hard paper documents.
Speaker 3: But anyway, let's go, so.
Speaker 1: Who was John Zegris or John Allen Zegris or John Allen Zegris spelled differently, John Allen kucher Zegris, John Allen Kutcher Zegres spelled differently, and or John Allen k Zegris, depending on the source, and what did he do precisely, what happened to him and how did he become immortalized in the legend as the Man from Torrid. The facts of the facts in the case of John Zegris, the mystery Man without a nationality. The facts are these. On October twenty fourth, nineteen fifty nine, a thirty six year old man calling himself John Allen K. Zegris enter Japan through Henita Airport and Taipei, Taiwan, along with his thirty year old wife, who was from South Korea, reported the evening edition of the major Japanese newspaper Yomi Yuri Shimbun on August tenth, nineteen sixty. In December of nineteen fifty nine, Zegris attempted to defraud the Tokyo branches of both the Chase Manhattan Bank and the Bank of Korea out of some hefty funds two hundred thousand yen plus an additional one hundred and forty dollars in travelers checks from Chase Manhattan and another one hundred thousand yen from the Bank of Korea. Adjusting for inflation, that's just shy of one point two million yen today, or about eighty six hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: That yen is worth dog shit.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's what happens when your economy goes to shit. I'm not trying to be.
Speaker 2: An asshole, but yeah, commis huh well, Japan ain't comedy, but yeah, to your point.
Speaker 1: It, oh, I was thinking that it was China for a second. Yeah, I know it's Japan. I'm tripping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean even still, like, it's it's crazy that this dude was trying to cash these really high checks.
Speaker 3: I mean for that area. Yeah, it's a high check.
Speaker 2: Like I mean, you remember when we were watching Squid games and your boy's talking about all this yen that you'll get, and it's like, yeah, over there it's like four point six billion one and for us it's like like five hundred thousand.
Speaker 1: It was like half a million or some shit it was, which.
Speaker 2: I mean is still a chunk of change, don't get me wrong, but like you're gonna kill yourself for six figures, Doug.
Speaker 1: I mean Bill though, dude, all you gotta do is just go sign up to be on Big brother and you can. You know, if you win that, it's seven hundred and fifty grand right there, baby, you ain't got.
Speaker 3: To kill nobody. I mean, it's yeah, it's wild.
Speaker 1: I'm excited for the American version, though, that's gonna be sick.
Speaker 3: Big Brothers not an American show running.
Speaker 1: No, I'm talking about Squid games.
Speaker 3: Oh well, yeah, I am too. It seems like he's gonna be a good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there's some desperate ass Americans that I could name probably five people that I know would sign up for that.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure, easily. So do do do?
Speaker 1: All? Right? So, uh, forty three hundred dollars all in all, that's roughly or that's about fourteen hundred dollars today. Not millions, sure, but not but still not insignificant, especially given the era. Zegris was arrested in January nineteen sixty in connection with the attempted bank fraud, and upon his arrest, it was discovered that the passport he had used to enter Japan was forged.
Speaker 2: So here we see the Jenasfer Broderick passport. Actually it says not actually a passport from Tarred.
Speaker 3: Shocker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is not from Turret, even though it says right there Tarred. But again, I mean fraudulent.
Speaker 1: I if it's from another dimension, how would we know it's not actually a real passport?
Speaker 2: You know, fair point, fair point. But again, this is the guy that was arrested in all these things. So let's find where the rubber meets the road with this story.
Speaker 1: Are you inclined to believe that if somebody is a scam artist or not even a scam artist, let's just say that there there's somebody who commits one act of fraudulents, are you inclined to believe that every other thing that comes out about them is most likely fraud? Like do you throw all the baby out for you?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Do you throw all like the whole baby with, you know, out with the bathwater after one story? It's almost like, you know, I always you always like to bring up like you build a thousand bridges, but you fuck one goat? What are you called?
Speaker 3: Then? You know? Is it like that kind of yes? Kind of no? I give caveat. Okay for the most part.
Speaker 2: For some you have a case like Billy Carson who hold on, hold on, hold, wait, wait wait, because there's there's addendum to this.
Speaker 3: He was convicted for fraud years ago and then he started this whole you know.
Speaker 2: Story about the emerald tablets and the past and the Ananachi and all these things. Then come to find out, shocker to everybody I know, that he was in fact a fraud ster, and like, yeah, so that one the fraud charge that was brought against some years ago. That should have been a telltale sign, especially who's making some very incredulous claims, right, Okay, But then we also have another case where somebody wasn't just doing one fraudulent thing, did a whole list of fraudulent things, got arrested for it, and then turned his life around and became a consultant on finding fraud because he knew so much about it. In the way of a guy named Frank Abagnew Junior. Maybe you've heard of him from the movie Catch Me if you Can, starring Leo Dicaprice.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's the movie. Such a good movie, it is, indeed.
Speaker 2: But let's keep in mind this kid, when he was a teenager, posed as At first it was he posed as a French teacher because he could speak French fluently, his.
Speaker 3: Mom was French, his dad brought him home from the war, and all these things, right.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 2: So then he decides to take off buy a pilot's uniform and start writing fraudulent checks.
Speaker 3: And this is back before check fraud was a real thing.
Speaker 1: Oh and then he also didn't he like, pass the bar without even going to college or some shit too.
Speaker 3: I look that up. That is true.
Speaker 2: Rank Abagnale Junior passed the bar exam in New Orleans, Louisiana with two weeks of studying, with no background in law whatsoever.
Speaker 3: And I asked my lawyer about this.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, I was just curious because, like, I understand that, and you know, that's a detract from the conversation too much. But Louisiana operates under Napoleonic law, Okay, the rest of the nation operates under what's called common law. Here is the only difference between the two. They basically are the same thing, but there's some slight nuances.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: The common law was a law adopted from England, which there's a law that was adopted from ancient Rome that was adopted from ancient Greece. It's like they basically have changed things to meet the times that we are currently living in. But either way you want to slice it, it's basically the same law. The courtroom still operates the same way. There's a precedence to all of it, right, Napoleonic law. When the French got to Louisiana, they basically wanted to set up a law system for this area. So what they did was they called all of the native American tribes to come together in this area and say, what is your practice for how you handle murder, how you handle theft, how you handle this and this and this. They compiled it all and french a tized. I was going to say anglicized it, but that's not true. They guys said they francophiled it, and they turned it into what we now call Napoleonic law. The thing is, it is pretty fucking close to common law. But that being said, if you pass the bar in Louisiana, you can't operate in any other state unless you go out and pass the bar in other states, right, which that's not just the Louisiana thing. Like if you have a license to operate in Pennsylvania, that does not mean that you can operate in New York City either.
Speaker 3: I mean he's just passed the bar.
Speaker 1: These It's pretty much the same thing for real estate, like sometimes it travels, Like if you get a Louisiana real estate license, I like, you can't even go to Texas. I don't think like it's like other states, not including like it's not including all of them. Sometimes it transfers. You still have to go over there and take the test over again. But you don't have to complete the schooling or some shit. But yeah, Frank Abagneil, what a stud he did.
Speaker 3: Indeed, as a matter of fact, you can look it up right here.
Speaker 2: Frank Abgnail passed Louisiana Bar Exam on his third attempt, after eight weeks of dedicated studying, having previously forged a Harvard Wall School transcript to apply for the exam. After failing the exam twice, he passed by applying the knowledge he'd gained from the wrong answers provided by the test. So I asked my lawyer about this. I was like, is it real possible? Like real shit? Is it possible to pass the bar exam? What two weeks of studying in that?
Speaker 3: That's it?
Speaker 2: He said, It's extremely hard, but it is possible, Like that is a thing that you could do if you have a mind for it, if you're really good at taking tests, if you already had tried a couple times so you already knew some of the wrong answer kind of thing.
Speaker 1: So some people a full on mental trap as far as like their ability to remember information.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and so Frank Abgnail Junior is a case of somebody who forged checks, forged transcripts. He acted as a doctor in Georgia, he acted as a lawyer in Louisiana. He was a pilot internationally. Then he goes to Europe and he starts printing real checks fraudulently from a manufacturer.
Speaker 3: You remember all of these things, right, mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Now this is also around the same timeframe fifties and sixties when Frank Abneil Junior was doing his shit.
Speaker 3: So now let's cut back to our guy here in Japan.
Speaker 2: Now to answer your question long form, there are some cases where if this person's caught with fraud once, what are the what's the likelihood that they are going to just be like, you know what, that was a big swing and a miss. Try to shoot my shot, got my Dick's lap for it. We're gonna move on. I'm just gonna go punch a clock and get a real job somewhere. Or what are the chances that they're like, oh, well, I'm smart enough. Now they caught me that time, They're not gonna catch me again because now I know what they're looking for. Realistically, what are the chances?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I was, I would say, especially back then, you know, you didn't even have the fucking Internet, dude, So you really had to be like really good at like understanding first of all how the system is and then learning like all the little discrepancies as far as being able to forge and fraud your way to get places.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, it's if nothing else, it's impressive.
Speaker 2: It is there is a level of appreciation that I can give to somebody who's able to pull off fraud to this level. Pulling up a passport that already passed through true, however many countries to get to this point is impressive, right, And that you knew enough things to say and you carried yourself in such a swagger that you were able to bypass all of their security. And again the security was not like the best at that time, and I understand that. But you're willing to talk to talk and walk the walk enough to where all these people will give you the stamp of approval and not ask another question.
Speaker 3: That's impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is slightly impressive, so not slightly majorly.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: Typically a case like this would have been under the jurisdiction of Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department's Criminal Investigations Bureau. However, it ended up getting handed off to the Foreign Affairs Division of the MPD's Public Security Bureau instead, where it was headed up by eventual First Cabinet Security Affairs Office chief at Siyuki Sasa, then early in his career due to what Zurgis claimed his background to be. Sasa, who in addition to his law enforcement and political career, also became a prolific writer over the course of his life, mentioned the Zergis case several times in his published works. The most detailed discussion of it, however, makes up the fourth chapter of the of his twenty sixteen book called The Spies Who Passed Me By, titled was He a Double Agent? Interesting? This book has not been translated into English and is and it is difficult to get a hold of outside of Japan. I am indebted to a May twenty twenty blog post by Hatina blog user Gryphon, which summarizes the information contained within this chapter of the book. According to Sasa, Zegris claimed to be a mobile ambassador for the Nagusi Habisi country and an American intelligence agent. When asked where Negusi Habisi was, he pointed on a map to Ethiopia and claimed it was supposed to be written in a different script, one resembling Arabic. Zegris's homemade passport was the size of a weekly of a weekly magazine per Sassa, and contained a section intended to certify its eligibility. It's eligib ability, which read negahushi nabisi Ambassador extraordinary and plenty potent chieri and roving ambassador. An ambassador who travels around the world without being stationed in one country and end quote according to.
Speaker 2: His imagine that a roving ambassador. So you're telling me that usually an ambassador is set up in a foreign country to speak on behalf of their home country.
Speaker 4: I e.
Speaker 2: When I was in France, we went to the French ambassador's house or the American ambassador's house in France.
Speaker 3: Okay, So he was an.
Speaker 2: American and the land itself that the embassy stands on is considered US land, right, just that one square section of that building. And he is there to speak to the French Prime minister on behalf of whoever the American president is. He's the emissary, he's the ambassador, he's the go between the middleman.
Speaker 3: So this guy is saying, oh, I'm that, but I just I'm a nomadic one. I go where I want. Half of Ethiopia.
Speaker 1: I mean maybe certain countries have those things.
Speaker 2: You never know, you know, that's they don't. That's not a thing at all. Actually it's I mean, but you to be stationed in a place as an ambassador. But did everybody back then know that exactly? So he got through all these airport passports, and he's a roving ambassador.
Speaker 3: So they rolled out the red carpet for him.
Speaker 1: Dude, they made it like, oh, he's a foreign dignitary, all these things.
Speaker 3: Come to find out, big swinging amiss.
Speaker 1: So, according to Zassa or Sasa rather, Zegris claimed his arrest was a violation of diplomatic privileges and demanded to be released immediately. So ergo. The case went to the Foreign Affairs Department, just you know, in case, no one wants a diplomatic crisis or an international incident on their hands if they can help it, right, so Zegris apparently claimed to have been born in the United States before moving to England via Germany and what was then Czechoslovakia, where he stayed until he completed secondary school, aim to have been a pilot in the Royal Air Force Royal Air Force during the Second World War, and spent time in prison in Germany as a pow after the end of the war. He claimed to have lived a for a time in Central and South America, to have worked as an intelligence agent for the US military in Korea, to have been a pilot in Thailand and Vietnam, and then to have joined the Arab Coalition in order to carry out a diplomatic mission for the Nagusi Habisi and quotes he goes I came to Japan to carry out a top secret mission of recruiting Japanese volunteers for the Great Arab Coalition, he said. According to SASSA, upon investigation, none of the biographical information Zegris provided could be verified. Police subsequently indicted him on the grounds of having an unknown nationality.
Speaker 3: So real, quick, couple of things.
Speaker 2: One, recruiting Japanese volunteers for the Great Arab Coalition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's make a whole lot of sense.
Speaker 3: It does not out loud.
Speaker 2: And secondly, to all those people out there that believe in the sovereign citizen shit, and you're you have no nation and you're just traveling and whatever else. Keep in mind they arrested him and indicted him on the grounds of having an unknown nationality, because that is illegal for the record, to just be a person without a country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anybody that believes that has to be one stupid.
Speaker 3: Fuck pun intended punintend Brandon.
Speaker 1: So anyhow, the August tenth article from the Yumuri Shimbun was published on the occasion of Zegris's sentencing and apparently attempted suicide in the court room immediately following the sentencing. He did not complete the attempt, and, following his recovery, was sentenced to one year in prison.
Speaker 2: So this is, in fact, your boy John Zegris from a Japanese newspaper looks like a regular old dude, right, And I mean, granted, I know it's a black and white and it's very blurry, and I mean the picture can only tell you so much.
Speaker 3: But but again, you could see how this dude, especially.
Speaker 2: If he's like OLLI complected and had kind of curly but not straight but not like kinky hair like this dude is, he kind of could be a racially ambiguous dude.
Speaker 3: You don't know if he's Baltic, you don't know if he's.
Speaker 1: Arabic, Greece's possibly Greek, fucking maybe a lighter skinned Italian, felt like, you don't know.
Speaker 2: But he's speaking all the right things. And apparently he's fluent in French and Japanese. That's also pretty interesting, as he's there to recruit Japanese people for the Great Arab Coalition, and there are some Arab countries that do a fair amount of French speaking, but that goes back to French colonialism and things like that.
Speaker 1: But anyway, anyway, Yeah, So the Japanese media continued to cover the strange case during that time, with major papers such as the asa Asahi Shimbun and the main e Chi Shimbun publishing stories about it through Zegris's year of imprisonment. Additionally, Atsa Yuki Sasas wrote in These Spies who Passed Me By that Zegris attempted to file a civil lawsuit from prison against the Superintendent General at the time, bunbai Haa, accusing him of embezzlement and demanding one million dollars in damages. The suit didn't go anywhere because it was absurd, and when Zegris's time was up, he was deported to Hong Kong. His wife, meanwhile, was deported home to South Korea.
Speaker 3: I will say he committed to the bit.
Speaker 2: You definitely did counter sue for a million dollar US in damages for one year of quote unquote imprisonment, which, for the record, most of that time he was in a hospital recovering from his own wrist slit situation. And when you account for the time he was already detained, the courts and all that shit, plus the recovery time, he walked away scott free.
Speaker 1: Pretty impressive. So SASA didn't know what happened to either of them after they left Japan, and they're seemingly the story. The story ends, except it doesn't, not quite. The plot thickens, you see as the story travels, and as it does so, it moves into legend as you would expect, tarred to tarred and playing telephone with the truth. The Zegra story, it turns out, initially spread much more quickly than I might have thought, as both Nataniel and Natole and Julia Lewis found Zegris related news travel globally via translated radio broadcasts as the court case unfolded. We know this because the translations are available as public record. They're in the published daily reports of the Foreign Broadcast Information Service, or the FBIS, per the University of Washington's library system. The FBIES was started in nineteen forty one with the goal of providing English language translations of radio broadcasts from foreign countries and territories of interest. The collected published reports are pretty widely available. Many of them, including the ones that are relevant to us here, are even available on Google Books.
Speaker 3: How about that?
Speaker 1: There you go and totally and I'm sure I'm saying that wrong. An it's Eoli dug up a broadcast translation in the compilation of issues one hundred and fifty six through one sixty of these daily reports, dated August tenth, nineteen sixty that describes precisely what was published in the Yoma Yurishim Bund that same day. Meanwhile, Lois or lewet is it Lewis Lois? I think Lewis Lewis located another broadcast translation in the collection featuring issues two forty nine and two fifty from nineteen sixty one, which essentially offers a two sentence summary of the entire case. And this summary is Zegris is described as a man without nationality who was sentenced to a year's imprisonment for having illegally entered Japan and passing phony checks.
Speaker 3: There you have it, but let's continue.
Speaker 1: However, there's also evidence that the case was known about in some circles sooner than August of nineteen sixty, not much sooner, but still prior to the first broadcast. First of the broadcast documented in the FBIS Daily Reports. The transcript of a speech regarding the issue of passport control given on July twenty ninth, nine teen sixty by British politician Robert Matthew, who represented Honiton now part of East Devon in the House of Commons, makes reference to the ongoing Zegras situation.
Speaker 2: Which we talked about that they were debating it in the British House of Commons at that time, because.
Speaker 3: He claimed that he went through the Britain at one point they're like, bro, what.
Speaker 1: It's this speech which introduces the key element of what will through a process, not unlike that scene in the game of Telephone, the parlor game, not the supernatural ritual? Is that? For what is the supernatural ritual called telephone?
Speaker 3: You know, like talking to smile on the other side Weisi board.
Speaker 1: Eh okay, okay makes sense eventually became Torrid. Roughly halfway through his remarks, Matthew told the following anecdote emphasis mind says, my hun friend may know the case of John Allen Zegris, who is at present being prosecuted in Tokyo. That's not you spell that in evidence.
Speaker 3: British people spell shit weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah they do in evidence. He describes himself as an intelligence agent, agent for Colonel Nasser, and a naturalized Ethiopian. This man, according to the evidence, has traveled all over the world with a very impressive looking passport. Indeed, it is written in the language unknown and it has remained unidentified, although it has been studied for a long time. Biphilologist in quotes the passport is stated to have been issued in Tama Rosset, the capital of the independent sovereign state of Torred. Neither the country nor the language can be identified, although a great deal of time has been spent in the attempt. When the accused was cross examined, he said that it was a state of two It was a state of two million populations somewhere south of the Sahara. This man has been around the world on this passport without hindrance, a passport which, as far as we know, is written in the invented language of an invented country. I would stress therefore that passports are not very good security checks.
Speaker 3: I would agree, but let's continue there.
Speaker 1: It is Torrid tua RD for what it's worth. I'm not actually sure where Matthew got all of that stuff about Tamaroset or Torrid from. It's not present in any of the contemporary Japanese reports or sources that documented the case, but I suppose it may have come up in the understanding of global geography at the time. Regardless, it is pretty clear that Matthew made some errors here. Tamarosets does exist, but the spelling is incorrect. Tamar Rossett is the typical rendering of the city's name in the Latin alphabet. It's the capital city of Tamaroset Province, which is located in the southern region of Algeria. Meanwhile, Torrid is believed to be a fumbling of Torreg as well as a misunderstanding of what the word Torreg actually refers to. It's not an independent sovereign state, as Matthew seems to have thought it was. But the name of a people. To sum up, Tamarasset is a place populated by the Torreg people, not a place located in the Torrid or Torreg region.
Speaker 2: So here we have a map again, Algeria is this Tamarasset, And apparently tau Regg is a tribe that lives there. And I don't mean tribe to make it sound like it's not to undercut by any means. But again, a lot of air nations are extremely clandestine and their tribal belonging means a lot to them.
Speaker 1: To pull out my Matthew Lillard from the first screen movie. But wait, there's more, not long or not too long after the House of Common Speech, the Yeoman Yuri Shimbun article and the fbis broadcast a Canadian paper, a tabloid based out of Vancouver, the Province, picked up the story. On August fifteenth, nineteen sixty, an article titled Man with his Own Country appeared on page four detailing exploits and adventures of John Allen Coucher Zegris as he's identified. The article, which was first connected to the Bigger Picture by Nataniel Anatole, including the following information about Zegris so in quotes. John claimed to be a naturalized Ethiopian and an intelligence agent for Colonel Nassar. The passport was stamped as issued at Tamarasset, the capital of Torrid south of the Sahara. Any places so romantically named ought to exist, but they don't. John Allen Coocherzegris invented them. This information matches that that contained within Matthew's speech, with some slight alterations. On the plus side, Tama Rossett is spelled correctly this time. However, it's still mistakenly referred to as the capital of a region rather than a place populated by a specific people. But the main thing to notice is this what Matthew called Torrid has now been rendered as tor Red, so instead of t ua r Id.
Speaker 2: It would be t ua r Ed exactly. And again, we did read that entire article just a few minutes ago, but let's continue.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not exactly difficult to see how one might get from tor Red to tour Red, is it? So that's where you come into a parallel universe and a locked room mystery or how fact becomes fishing. But wait, there's even more, as anatotally pointed out and a Reddit post in twenty twenty. Story appears in several of Jacques Jacques Burgear's books, which were primarily published in the nineteen sixties and seventies. Indeed, Burgear may have been the first to introduce some of the elements of the Man from Torrid tale, as it was by the time I heard about it back in twenty fifteen, and Attioli noted that he found reference to Torrid in Burghear's nineteen seventy four Mysteries of the Earth book. I believe I was unable to get a hold of that particular volume, but I did locate extraterrestrial visitations from prehistoric times to the present another book, also published in nineteen fifty four, and found it to be present there as well. Burgear four What did I Say? Fifty four oh seventy four. Burgear's version uses the tor red spelling tua r D as opposed to tau r D, but he moves the date of the events from fifty nine and sixty to nineteen fifty four, when they're typically said to have happened in modern tellings of the Ledge, and he introduces the hotel to the story. The mystery man doesn't appear from the hotel room, though rather he's located within within it when government officials arrived to verify his passport. In this telling, the government supposedly ordered the passports of all foreigners residing in Japan to be verified in response to a series of riots believed to have been instigated by foreigners. The mystery man with the Torrid passport keeps insisting his story to be true, although he is unable to convince anyone to believe him. He has eventually left. He is eventually left in quotes, shut up in a Japanese psychiatric hospital end quotes per Burgear's version of the story, where I assume we're meant to believe he has remained ever since. Okay, interesting, So tour Red finally became Torrid in Colin Wilson and John Grant's nineteen eighty one book called The Directory of Possibilities, although as I previously noted, there's just a simple or just a single sentence mentioning the story there in quotes and in nineteen fifty four, passport check in Japan is alleged to have produced demand with papers issued by the Nation of Torrid end quotes, and sometimes sometime between then and roughly twenty thirteen the story had developed into what we would eventually come to know as the full Man from Torrid incident, featuring the locked hotel room element, the mysterious vanishing, and the proposal of a parallel universe being at play. I know nineteen eighty one to twenty thirteen is a long gap. Unfortunately I don't have the resources needed available to me in order to trace exactly what happened in a tale during that space of time. I would imagine, though, that it developed much the way every urban legend does, with the story getting passed on from storyteller to storyteller, each embellishing it a little as they told it, until eventually it made it made its way onto the Internet.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, possibly.
Speaker 1: Thanks to the legwork of researchers Nathaniel and Atotally ananyj, Julia Lewis, and Terry Iachi. Though it does seem pretty indisputable that the Man from Toward urban legend did in fact grow out of the real life story of John Zegris. He wasn't a man from a parallel universe. He was just your run of the mill con man. I often say that some mysteries are better left unsolved. But this time I'd argue that it paid off for me. The story of how the mystery got solved is just as fascinating as the story told within the legend itself. Now, then, who's up for a trip? The whole wide world is waiting as long as you've got as long as you've got your passport handy.
Speaker 2: Nice indeed, So this is kind of where we're at with it all. I do, in fact, believe that you know a little bit. However, in a weird turn of events, I should bring this up from the urban legend, the spot that the man pointed to on the map of Andorra right the small my growth state for lack of better words, between France and Spain. What if I tell you that there is in fact a section of it called Torrid.
Speaker 1: That would be an interesting turn of events.
Speaker 2: So right here, I have a YouTube clip pulled up and it shows and Dora on the map, which anybody could look up. This Torred is spelled t a U R e ed, which again was when it made its conversion.
Speaker 3: Watch this dude. Sorry about the music on this one. I didn't choose it, but.
Speaker 2: Torred is a spot. It actually does exist. This building which I don't. I don't really know what the building is per se. I don't know if this is a government building or if this is what. But the fact is that Taurrid does in fact exist within the region that he pointed to on the map, according to the urban legend.
Speaker 1: Well, damn, now I'm interested in what that place actually is. I tried looking it up, dude, and I couldn't get a street view on it.
Speaker 2: But I mean, again, we don't know if that building is a more modern building that was only built in the last couple of decades, or if it does pre date back.
Speaker 3: To the nineteen fifties, nineteen sixties or whatever else.
Speaker 1: But what an interesting coincidence it would be. Then do we believe in those though I generally don't know.
Speaker 3: This is where I'm at with the dude.
Speaker 2: So again, John Allen kuchar Zegris, And yeah, this name has been taken quite a few different directions and in quite a few different ways. Here we already talked about the urban legends, we talked about the whole backstory to it all. Here's the deal, and this is kind of where I'm at with it. I'm not even saying that was he a fraudster, sure, no doubt, but I think there might be a little bit more to the story than what we originally hear when we think of that, Okay, he was just traveling and cashing fake checks, and he was just on a on a mission to tour the world for free and all these things. It's very interesting to me that he claimed to be a roaming ambassador, which like, especially if you're claiming to be an ambassador from Ethiopia, you realize that Japan has a line of communication with Ethiopia. They could have just picked up the phone and called the Ethiopian Foreign Affairs minister and asked him, Hey, is this your guy? But so many countries never did. They just rolled out the red carpet for him and let him through. Cause why would why would somebody lie about that? Why would some io I lie about being an ambassador from you know, Algeria, Ethiopia, Egypt for on behalf of the Arab coalition?
Speaker 3: Who would lie about that? It nobody really questioned it.
Speaker 2: I think it's more than probable, especially whenever he brought up the name of Colonel Nassar, and then he also brought up that he was Ethiopian as well.
Speaker 3: And like I said, this wasn't a.
Speaker 2: It wasn't without its controversy during this time, right, especially when you keep in mind, so Israel was founded in nineteen forty eight, they had a six day war that took place. Egypt was a part of that, and this guy's claiming to be working on behalf of Colonel Nassar. I think that he might have been a spy for lack of better words, And I think that because he was a spy from a country that was broke as fuck, that he was forging checks to get from.
Speaker 3: Point A to point B.
Speaker 2: I think that he was also a master forger, and that that was a part of him being a spy for whom, for what purpose? Why was he going to Tokyo? Your guess is as good as mine. It's all within the realm of hypothetical and speculation and all of this. But for him to go to the levels that he did and then walk away scott free. You just tried to defund or to basically defraud, two major bank institutions. And yeah, it was only for a few thousand dollars, fine, But the fact is that you just tried to commit international fraud and lied about who you were lied about a passport, all these things. If somebody was to do that these days, dude, they would immediately be brought down for terrorism, Like, without question, that's it.
Speaker 3: This guy basically walked out scott free.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering did the Japanese government receive a phone call from somebody from some unnamed country.
Speaker 3: And say, Hey, you're gonna release that guy.
Speaker 2: He's gonna get on a plane, he's gonna come back home, and you're just gonna not talk about it, which would also lead more credence to why Japan wouldn't publicize this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, look good cult members. I mean, I guess it's up to speculation. Do you think that he was just a you know, a con artist doing it on his own accord? Was he trying to get rich because you know, he was frauding some money out right, like he was basically stealing money. And I mean, but there seems to be a lot to this story that I think I just need to take a little time to think about for a little bit, because I guess it does make sense that he would be a spy, but it would also make sense that he would be doing it on his own accord as well. So and if that's the case, I mean, just how many times did he get away with it?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: Like and as far as the different passport stamps, I almost wonder if he ever even actually got through or if that was part of the fraud as well. You know, I mean, how hard would it be to just go to an airport and you know, grab the the person checking people on, just to grab their attention from somebody else, and somebody else takes the passport stamp, you know what I mean? Or I mean because usually I mean, fuck, you just brought up an abag nail. He was printing like real money, you know what I mean, Like, how hard could it be to like forge a stamp?
Speaker 2: Absolutely right? And that's very possible too. But keep in mind he also had foreign money in his pocket. Now that's not crazy, right, You can go to a bank and exchange depending on where you go, Like I know in Washington, DC, when you would go to the mall, there was a whole kiosk there just to transfer foreign money to US dollars so that you could go shop. Right, It's very very possible that he went to a very similar spot in Tokyo and transferred and got you know x amount of dollars worth of francs and of German marks and of whatever. Because keep in mind, this is before the euro was a thing. The European Union was only founded in the early nineties. I want to say ninety three, memory serves me right. So back in these days, each individual country had their own individual money. It's possible that he went to a money exchanger and got all these dollar bills. It's also possible that he got through security in all of these other countries throughout the Arab world, throughout Europe, was able to bring back all these stories and these passports and all this shit. It's possible that he was so good at forgery that he actually made it through so many of them. And I guess Tokyo was just the one spot that was like, hey, wait a minute, homy, let me talk to you for a little minute.
Speaker 3: What is this?
Speaker 2: Why is this thing the size of a magazine. That's not what passports are. Oh, well, in my home country, all of them are like that. And it's like, and what country is that?
Speaker 3: Oh, Torrid obviously never heard of the Kingdom of Torrid.
Speaker 2: Bro No, I haven't. I meant I am a roaming ambassador from Egypt. I'm working for Colonel Nasser even though I'm from Ethiopia.
Speaker 5: Bro.
Speaker 3: Wait, wait, wait, back back then, what are you talking about. Don't worry.
Speaker 2: I am a roaming ambassador and this is an international charge. I'm gonna sue you for a million dollars if you don't release me right now.
Speaker 3: It's like, let's it's like a little walk, buddy, let's let's have a little chat. I could see that being the case too.
Speaker 1: And some people are so good at lying to convince themselves that the lie is true, you know. So I don't know. Some people live crazy lives through crazy perspectives of which we're never gonna fully understand, you know, like in the to to like take a walk inside somebody else's mind, even just a normal person, bro, Like you know how shocking the world would would be so different, you know, just if you were to, you know, essentially like put your consciousness inside the mind of another human, right.
Speaker 3: Likedy, shit, dude, fuck you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It'd be crazy. But yeah, dude, I don't know. I'm inclined to believe that he was some sort of spy. Good cult members let us know. There are several ways that you can.
Speaker 3: Let us know.
Speaker 1: One of the best places is over at Patreon, as we mentioned earlier, but there's a couple of other ways to do it as well.
Speaker 2: Indeed, as we were talking about, you know, defrauding banks and things like that, listen, we know we don't trust the banks.
Speaker 3: We never have trusted the banks. That old you're old.
Speaker 2: You're Paul, Paul that used to bury his money in the backyard because he won't be trusting them bank institutions. Listen, whether you want to acknowledge it or not, Papaul was kind of on one. Okay, he knew a thing or two about a thing or two because he lived through the Great Depression. He had seen the hard times, and those hard times are coming. It's mathematical facts. And before you get your money all wrapped up in the digital currency and the crypton and all these things, listen, do.
Speaker 3: What you're gonna do with your money.
Speaker 2: I get that, But when our economic system falls, you're gonna want some sort of a tangible thing in your pocket that's worth some money. Right, whether it's in the gun safe and your bank safety deposit box or in fact buried in your backyard, you're gonna want some sort of a tangible thing that is worth some real value. When the time comes, talk to your financial advisor and ask them what they think about precious metals, the silver, the gold, the platinum, all these things, and I guarantee they're gonna tell you that it's a pretty wise investment for at least a port your retirement portfolio. And the best place to get your start in the buying and selling of gold and silver, boy, you would be to go to the link in the description below to cecsilver dot com when you fill out your information. Our homeboy, Wayne Clark's gonna be the one to reach out to you and get you squared away. Do you want to buy a little bit, you want to buy a lot of bit, whatever the case may be. Do you want to become a distributor of silver and gold? Your damn self. Wayne is gonna be the guy to talk to you about all these things. Once again, talk to your financial advisor, talk to your CPA, your account and whatever. Ask them what they think about it. Don't just take my word for it, take their word for it. Gold is over three thousand dollars an ounce. It's very expensive. Not everybody's just got that burning a hole in their pocket, and that's asking for an ounce of gold. However, silver is still affordable. It's still attainable for your average Joe. Blow before it's skyrockets to a level that you'll never be able to afford.
Speaker 3: Get some now once again. Link is in the description ccsilver dot com.
Speaker 2: But, like Jonathan was saying, a way that you could let us know what you think about the man from tour it is he a time traveler? Is it a parallel universe type of situation? Is it an international spy? Is he an absolute fraud and a charlatan? Listen, we want to hear from you. The best place to let us know where would be too Please hit the five story, hit the shares, the lights, scrites, comments, leave a post, reviewers shares, hit their friends and family, shares everywhere.
Speaker 3: Here is the deal.
Speaker 2: The more activity the algorithms across all of our listening platforms, the more we get promoted, the more potential.
Speaker 3: Listeners who could that become potential cult members. But the rest of you, fine ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Why are you ready go check out the metabistics Jonons of the show and getting the same love of respect over there with the five star reviews and the positivity.
Speaker 3: In the comments. Come check out the Cage to Night.
Speaker 2: Hey, come join you to listen more individual patrons that we host every Wednesday night at ie PM Central.
Speaker 3: Links to those are in the description as well. And we thank you. Everybody's already gone and done so.
Speaker 1: And with that being said, this was another beautiful episode of the Cults of Conspiracy. And my name's Jonathan, I'm Jack And there's one very important, sure, the vital piece of information we need you to learn just as soon as human as possible.
Speaker 2: Hey, cult members, Jacob here just want to ask who wants better sex? The best way to get started is to go to adam and eve dot com right now. Amim Eve is offering fifty percent off just about any item, but that's not all. When you get one item, they will also send three bonus sexy items and six free movies.
Speaker 3: They offered a screet shipping as your privacy is a priority.
Speaker 2: Plus free shipping on your entire order doesn't matter how much you spend or what you buy.
Speaker 3: All we packaged and sent discreetly for free.
Speaker 2: That's fifty percent off one item and ten free gifts to boot bring more pleasure and satisfaction into your bedroom. Just go to Adam and Eve dot com and select any one item. It could be an adventurous new toy or anything you desire. Just enter the offer code CULT at checkout and you'll get fifty percent off almost any item, plus ten free gifts, three bonus items, six free movies, and free shipping.
Speaker 3: Use the offer code CULT that's Cult at Adam and Eve dot com.
Speaker 2: Now, this is an exclusive offer specific to this podcast, so be sure to use this code to get you not just the discount and the free goodies, but also the one hundred percent free shipping with the code CULT