Speaker 1: This is India Today Podcasts.
Speaker 2: You are on India Today Podcasts and you are in the Sledging Room. Let me warn you this is not a place for the faint hearted and the weak need. If you're a sports buff and like challenging everything you see and hear, stay, if you're a sooner batya fan, walk away right now?
Speaker 1: What was this wild ride? How would you describe your shake up in one word? Extremely long yell, chaotic, chaotic. I'd say it was franendetic, useless. I don't know what purpose that tournament solved apart from feeding into egos of you know, people at the power right Where was the cricket there? It was disappointing. Yeah, as we returned to, you know, another episode of Sledging Room, plenty of action going on last week. This Asia Cup got over finally Earlier this week. The Women's World Cup starts on Tuesday and the India West Indies Test Series in Nepal beating West Indies. But you know, it's impossible to look past Asia Cup for this episode, right because you know, we all thought that India would be a dominant side and the race for the next best is what the Asia Cup was all about but even that didn't happen properly. India themselves weren't at the one hundred percent but still managed to win the trophy. But all that that happened around the tournament, how should we look at it? Like? Is this how it's gonna be from now on?
Speaker 3: I think that is going to be the reality.
Speaker 4: The new reality is going to be the fact that India versus Paristan games are always going to have something. Earlier, it was always about the cricket and the rivalry. The rivalry is like I think for a lot of players it is over. At least for the Indian players it is over. Pithan players are doing their bit to keep it alive. But I think going forward, this is going to be the new reality where India Powistan game is always going to have something and something for us basically to keep us on arctos and not much for the players. I guess the players will go about with their business. But yeah, this is going to be the new reality for the facts.
Speaker 1: But when you say not much for the players, like have have they been so open about all these things in the past. Yes, India played matches when there was cross bought attentions like even the such intentnal because the Sunies all of them played. But where they're so open about making gestures and all that in the past, I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I mean, you look at this was twenty twenty three. You've had Shainsha Friedi come and gift Bumrah some presents after his son was born. You had Hi I think, Shadhab Khan and Kohali cracking a joke and they were all laughing when the rain was hitting in.
Speaker 3: I think Colombo, I guess, yeah, so that was then. Now when you look at it, are there any any kind of friendships or anything that is being shown none. You've had Abishik Sharma go out and troll Shainsha Fridi.
Speaker 4: You have had Bumrah go out and gesture towards Harris rap. It has been all over the place. And like I said, this is a new reality and forfund.
Speaker 1: Actually all on one side, all of that I'm actually fine with. I thought Actually's question was about the standard of decorum that India and Pakistan is going to have. I'm fine with all of that. Abishtrolling, shy in players going up to each other. Harry is doing this giving back to him as a reply, all of that's fine. I think all of that is fine, making such provacative gestures. Yeah. So like on the field of cricket, if you are doing a gesture, you're you will be given back. Ye see, I understand all that. Yeah, but stop it there, Stop it there. You can't control a person's emotions inside the field where adrenaline is running high, right, so you never know till what part that gesture goes to. Once that gesture from Harris Roff was out, he could not take it back and he was reminded again and again that you know you are done, your team is done. I'm fine with all of that. But the question is that is this game going to be used for political leverage from both sides? That is something that I have I'm questioning right now because if they this happens on a bigger scale, Asia is a shorter time and like you said, say useless tournament supposed to promotation cricket, which it does not really do. But what happens when this game goes into a bigger and bigger scale. See my question is in the past Gambir and Chi have had rollins. Even even if such int has had, you know, issues with soy burger and all that, and they have exchanged words. But to use a military skimmage to just to you know, uh, to to indicate that we shot down your jet, you shot down my jet, and then to show that you have you fire fire gun shots while celebrating all that is a reflection of you know, this is becoming nasty as in as long as you exchange words, it's financial. It's always happens in the sport. You call it heat, heat of the moment, so that happens. But when you want to mix politics, when you spill that whatever has happened outside the and when you bring it to the field, that's when it becomes, you know, a problem. It was all see. Some may argue that even snubbing handshake was not the right thing to do, but as long as they didn't hurt anyone. If you look at how the Indian players behaved, they did not bring up anything from you know, the cross border thanks those underhand you know gestures and all that. Yeah, and Harris apparently started that in the training session itself. There were reports suggesting that some of the Pakistan players were going on about six nail six nail and gesturing and stuff. My problem is when when it has become ugly, it has become ugly and unnecessarily ugly. It didn't need to be this way. And I like you reminded about we're at Coliche time, when we're at Barber Rizwan, they used to hang out, they used to talk. The only one tweet that I remember from a Palkistan cricketer was this two shell pass Barber putting it to And now now you talk about sharing a Ronaldo video accident, I.
Speaker 4: Think it was more more than like how King shuk has said, it's when you look at it, it all started from there then, sweet No, I'm saying from the side of the other side, the Pakistan side, And in that case, you're always bound to get it back, like how he stated in a field of cricket, you're always bound to get things back. In any sport you can take it. The more like the adrenaline rush is going to be there. But once you get out of it, I think it should have stopped. But then the acc chief, who is supposed to be a neutral guy in this thing, he is going out and then he is putting out a tweet of Ronaldo showing this gesture when okay, I understand if your team was doing great, your team was at the top of the table, and then you're trying to mock India, makes a little more sense. Your team was at that point in time beaten tune in even the third game the final, to be very fair, like how Sula Oscar was going about.
Speaker 3: If India had gone about.
Speaker 4: It slowly, I don't think they would have lost a wicket, even maybe one or two, they would have won the game.
Speaker 1: On a country, many people say that India we were in trouble, but at no point they were in trouted. If you understand the game.
Speaker 4: The talent was there to get India out of the contest. You had battling til Rinku Sing Who's coming in at seven or eight. So the talent was always It was not.
Speaker 1: The twenty for three side that faced twenty one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: So that is my whole point, Like your quality of cricket is not up to the level of your banter that you want to bring to the game, and then you're always going to fall put yourself in the morn.
Speaker 1: Even that's fine. Like we have seen lesser fancy teams involved in verbal spats. For instance, Bangladesh have always given it back to bigger teams, so called bigger teams in the in Asia. But when you are being used as a political pawn, that's the problem. That's the problem. Your boat should protect you. It's not like you should act according to what your bout say. And this is where I have a major problem with Moss. And also that as a SEC head, you are sort of the parent figure to this whole Asian team, right whatever it is like you are the interim minute minister in Pakistan. Fine, that's a part of your job. You are the PCB head, that's a part of your job, and a SEC head that's a part of your job. Very different jobs. By the way, to use his position as personal vendetta against the Indian team that had just won the tournament, I did not understand at all. See that's a that's a bigger issue that he'll come to. It was it was funny that like after the final, you all must have also watched us and listeners should have also stayed that one hour extra to watch that drama unfold, like we were all waiting like after the match ended. I think we took a break and then we came back and waited. We waited, waited for the post match presentation. Even rubbish Astree and was Mar were on air.
Speaker 4: They got in no more than I think I saw a moment where marm was literally yawning inside the studio.
Speaker 3: He could not just control.
Speaker 1: I think the match ended at around twelve twenty one sixteen that presentation, so it was a needless weight. And then we get to know that India simol, it's not like and that that statement, I think I don't know whether ACC had given it to him. That statement said India declined to take the prophet so he will not No, no, he did not say that said that there would be no celebration on the diast tonight, but India.
Speaker 4: Refused to receive that, so they said that India Duel said that. Duel said that India will not take the trophy today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that. That's all I remember from that. And then we get to know that India have refused to take it from the a SEC chairman. They were ready to take it from the Vice president. But then we saw that video of an ACC member running away with the trophy, and then we get more details that the trophy is hotel room.
Speaker 4: It was so funny because I went to sleep at the moment that Simon Dole thing happened. So I was like, Okay, tomorrow morning we are going to get statements. Now I get two hours of sleep because we had to come in at six in the morning.
Speaker 3: To start our work.
Speaker 4: Now I am going through Twitter and I see that like this is for the first time ever that an a SEC chief is running away with the trophy and he's taking it to his hotel room.
Speaker 3: It's unprecedented, but in.
Speaker 1: One way it was the fitting end to the Asia Cup. Yeah, nothing tournament finishes with the winning team getting nothing if you look at it that way. But but you know what King shugire right, You know, at an official capacity, say Jasha has been in the official capacity of this very very same a SEC never acted in this manner, right, Yeah, there has been a little bit of what do you call decency in the way Indian officials have acted in the history of cricket tournaments, at least in my lifetime. And you one has acted in this manner anyway. We like, when Australia won the twenty three World Cup, do you use your petty squobble and not give them the trophy? What do you do with the Meerico. I can't wrap my head around the controversy that India Pakistan have had in this entire tournament. You threatened to pull out of the tournament midway through the tournament and then you came back an hour later. Any other sport, any other tournament, there would have been consequences. As we record this episode today, Mohunbagan have withdrawn from a CL two. You will find consequences from the ACA AFC for this. India will get sanctions. But in cricket it's just based on whim Now win can be applied to anyone. Jaysha Today the ICC head decides culture Pakistan go no money, Who will challenge it? Everything will be you unanimous.
Speaker 3: To be fair like how he made.
Speaker 4: There is a lot of slack that goes against a guy like Jasha for what he was as the BCCA president and his roles in a sec There was always that thing where he was people were saying that India were.
Speaker 3: Favored, but he never acted in this way.
Speaker 4: There was never a point where I think Pakistan felt marginalized in a tournament. There was never a point where Pakistan players felt marginalized. Twenty twenty three World Cup is the perfect example. They were they got there, they were.
Speaker 1: Welcome to it so much art by the way, in India Hyderabad than all celebrated there. There is nothing wrong with having Barbara as much a fair favorite player, right, they celebrated, they were loved. Pakistan has shown love. They went thrown stones when they were playing in the stadium. I don't know what this animosity was about. Even I have never had that bigin Iberian tour across India. Pakistan went on a Beran tour. Yeah, but yeah, that's the point, right, So how can as in I don't know whether there should be some action against motion Naqui as far as cricket is concerned, but who's going to take that. He's the ICC. The ICC should initiate. There's already there was the psychia. Bass A secretary spoke to AI the day hours after that bullshit happened and he kind of called the all that out and he said there will be an ICC meeting, ACC meeting also, there will be one and we will probably appeal against whatever has happened. You know, you know that this can't happen, right have you? In my lifetime, I have never seen a sporting team celebrate without a trophy, maybe in those weirdly designed FEF for fifteen sixteen where the will be there. Yeah, it felt like that. Man asn't like sorry, it felt like I don't know, I didn't At least India made the statement there. It was very good of the Indian team. Then you go up to the Diace and then you know, celebrated the way they celebrated, extremely well thought out by Indian team content manager as Deep sing. Yes, it was celebrated like that. Yeah, and also the Instagram photos, you know, like like just you mentioned that. Just one point is that cricket feels like a glitch. Right when India and Pakistan had a standoff, the whole champions trophy thing, Pakistan brokeer the deal that they would not be playing in India for any of the ICs tournaments till I think twenty thirty or or whatever. Many sport that it happens that teams have to fly in and out because they're because they're unfortunately playing Pakistan and India. Right, it doesn't make any sense, you know, you can it's the it's the sad state of the sport one thing, and it has all trickled down to this Asia Cup. Right like there were boycott culture. It would have been fair had they not participated in this instead of doing it this way.
Speaker 4: And like I said, I think the last episode, I said, the way that Pakistan acted themselves, it was a disgrace to the game of cricket, the way they acted towards India and to ue the team that they made. Oh yeah, yes, people forget that and that game also they were lucky to win it. If Yue had a little more quality. I think Pasan would be beaten. Yeah, And this is what it comes down to, the fact that people will probably people will complain that Indians acted in a certain way. But give me a point where India did not go about with their business. They were always there at the time of the toss. They were there, toss done. There were no delays from the captain or the players for any unnecessary things. They went about with the business. They played their matches. Yes, like you said, not one hundred person, maybe sixty to fifty percent. I think that was enough to see off this tournament.
Speaker 1: They did it.
Speaker 3: They went back end of story without the trophy, without and they have not I think what they did after winning whatever they did, I really I thoroughly enjoyed it because.
Speaker 4: That happened after the tournament. Wasn't the job was done? Yeah, that is not what Pakistan did.
Speaker 1: Even Suria's response, I think Nikol Nas from Sports Today in here today. The first question he asked him in that airport interview, wash is the trophy? Suriya Kumar said, I have fifteen trophies with me in my dressing room. All my team officials are prophies. Gotham movie is of course a big gift to this team. So yeah, so as in like like what I what I wanted to say was India took a stand. Understand that there is a difference between what India and Pakistan players how they behaved. India took a stand. You believe in whatever you believe is right, whether you're forced to believe in that as an in this case, whether it came from the top to not shake hands with the team, as far as the team was concerned, Sukumar said, I took this call and if you hear the first press conference, he clearly said I didn't force my players to even take this call. But everybody has a collective desired that they would not shake hands. That is a stand. Doing this and you know, doing this is not a stand. It's a provocative it's a propagator, personal capacity made and it comes at a very bad time. Also, right, lives have been lost. Tasteless, it's tasteless, it's tasteless. Terror tech and then cross border attentions. You know, you can't equate both, but lives have been lost, right, and it's it's it's just the narratives that each government. Yeah, that's why I'm saying. Have you seen any board that lets down their players, like the Pakistan cricket board, like you throw them to the dogs. Like if you were you should have asked you you uhould have asked your players refrain from doing all this. You don't shake hands, probably you don't come for any press conference. That's a stand. But what you do, what you do on the field, What the ugly reactions that they gave Harris from? What was he trying to achieve by doing all that? In the end gets it back? That's a very You don't win the you don't win this, you know, gesture battle also your reason why your team los loses. You face you know, you face sickening trolls, from your own countrymen. People says you're a you know, you're.
Speaker 3: A against India.
Speaker 1: He is. You're saying, if this is what your performances, what will you focus on? Imagine if I am not good at studies, I will not, you know, do these extra collegory activities. I'll focus on getting better at that because that's paying my paying my foot bills. You know, I can't understand they've been thrown to the dogs. I feel bad for players like this. You know, someone like Salma Ali throughout the tournament, his conduct was really good if you look at it. He never, you know, he never even in the press conferences he said, they are taking their stand. What can we do about it? I felt disappointed. I have never seen someone not shaking hands with me. That line was appreciable, but anything else that the Pakistan players did, someone like a Hurries rof, someone like ship Zadafarhan and then going to the IC and saying, according to reports, Hrisrov asked the match revery six nil, what do you mean? What do you what do you mean of it? Eventually he was fine. I don't know why Surya Kumar was fine for taking that stance. Maybe it was breaching some ICC rules or something. You know, but there was a difference between what India players did and what Pakistan. You say is what I think, Like, that's a brilliant point that you make. That PCB let down its players. It's a sensitive time. Your actions should be thought out, like how he said, what okay, India is not shaking hands. PCB could have put out a statement saying we have told our players not to engage in any kind of activities with the Indian team.
Speaker 3: We will not going forward, not shake their hands.
Speaker 1: You don't play that match. You should have boycotted that match if you really believe that India not shaking hands hurt you. But then you went after a man who had probably nothing nothing to do. This is what this is what Pakistan. This is the pc we does. Yeah, this is the posturing and they don't think like I thought in this tournament so personal capacity. May I think what Surya Kuma when Surakumar decided that they won't shake hands was wrong, But like says, yes that it's a personal choice. You believe what you believe and you stick to it. Yeah. I thought at that time that now Pakistan have found a brilliant way where they can be the bigger person here, they can show the world that, you know, they did not want to shake hands. We respect their call, but tk we would have wanted to nothing. They decided to go full petty by taking on Piecraft, by taking on Indian players, threatening to boycott, disrespecting the UA team, and it was a spiral from there on. Nothing that Pakistan cricket board does is thought through that Super four match. Yeah, of course if you look at it. During the group game there was nothing of this, you know shit that happened. But during the Super four game is when the ugly just just started and said, like you said, many people in our own country might disagree with the stand that Indian team took. When you're on a cricket field, probably you should shake hands. Probably you should do this. There are people who asked, Okay, when the basis allows the team and the Indian government allows the team to play, then what's the point of not shaking hands. Okay, that's an argument that you believe in. Some people believe in. But the team took this stand. I don't want to shake hands, and I will donate my money to the terms of the terror attack and I will pay my tribute to the armed forces. That's a stand, That's what I'm saying. That's a stand. You agree to it or you disagree with it, but not these ugly you know, gestures that were happening and the ugly politics that was being played for nothing. What did you achieve by doing all that boycott drama? You could have lost it that day that day itself.
Speaker 4: Like I said, it's all coming down to the fact that do you have that quality? You had almost run out you're a wicket keeper, did not have an idea to stand behind the stumpst and collect the ball? Why are you not addressing those kinds of things before going after a team that is superior.
Speaker 1: That those take effort right, you can't have sack ten coaches when you're expecting.
Speaker 4: I always, I always feel that when you see crum and, like a lot of people said this on social media, seeing Waskm and Ravish Astray together was a great thing. And the kind of analysis that man gave about his team, you could see his sadness. The like him as a player is always considered a legend and that Pakistan team had a lot of good players.
Speaker 3: Now when he's looking at.
Speaker 4: A guy like Harris, He's like, I have told this guy to work on his run up. Half the time he's falling on the ground. He's always lying on the ground. He's doing this, he's doing that. He's not able to stop runs. He and then he has to do all this drama. Focus on your game. And then he says that war tells him that he does not play redball cricket. Then how are you going to improve? How is this team going to improve? What like all that you said? Salmon Aliaga was a gentleman, blah blah blah, great, What did he bring to the field? Neither did he bowl, which is one of his fortes. By the way, he's an off spinner by trade. He's an all rounder in this team by trade.
Speaker 1: Did not bowl?
Speaker 4: Did not show anything with the bat that we have not seen from the likes of Barbarism or Mahmed respond people who he has?
Speaker 3: Really who replaced? What else was there.
Speaker 1: In this team? You had?
Speaker 4: You had a guy like what was his name, Hassan Hassan Nawak's a very good player, a very good to open up. You played Hussein instead of him, won you one match fair.
Speaker 1: Enough that day. That day they wear tweets, they wear tweets from wise people in Pakistan that this innings is going to do us more harm than anything else. And Hussein Talaz did nothing after that.
Speaker 4: Mohammed Mohammed Navas supposedly the best spinner, the best spinner in the world. Mike hasn't said this doesn't get too bold, doesn't get to bold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did not bowl Si either was boring so well against India in the final.
Speaker 3: You make all these stupid things and then you have a complained that India is disrespecting cricket. Your captain goes out and says India is distressed. Bro, you are disrespecting cricket by playing this atrocious This is not even cricket. What is this your team? And the justice did not stop that. While I was searching pictures, I think Harristroff took a catch. He and Shahanshafridi did the plane while one that high catch that they were both running like two flights. Both of them collided against each other. Probably you don't. You don't bring in the level of cricket that we have seen with India versus Pakistan. You don't bring that up.
Speaker 1: And now see my problem is someone like an infant Patan someone. Many people in the past have said that Pakistan players have done worse things behind the scenes, but there is there is that's also wrong. But you don't project it to people who you were watching, right, there are billions of people who are watching it on What will kids learn now that now the natural thing is okay, I have the license to speak like, which I don't agree with. Like. You have to have respect for when you step on a field or when you step on anywhere. You might have your own personal problems, personal views, but there is a bit of decency that you need to have when you're representing so many people, when so many people are watching you. If that is going to get spoiled, then the very basic essence of watching sport itself is going to get spoiled. Right, Why do we watch sport like it's entertainment. Yes, it's entertainment. Is the best form of reality TV and all that is, yes, but you get that bit of inspiration right when you see great athletes, when you see respect, when you see two rival sharing an Olympic well after a long, long event. Sport is the highest form of dedication, sacrifice and great anyone who's ever played any sport will say that of what it takes to reach at a place to reduce it down to mockery over the course of three matches, you better don't play.
Speaker 4: When you don't play issues, don't play, don't play, don't come to play.
Speaker 1: This is the most that cricket has disappointed me in a long time, in a long time, a long long time. And everything standard of cricket, boards around it, quality of broadcast, everything, Asia Cup has been one of the most horrible tournaments for me to watch. Bar one game, India Sri Lanka super.
Speaker 3: Far huh even that game.
Speaker 4: Also for that fact, if India were better in their fielding, I think they would have won. There was at no point I think when Nisanka was batting. I don't think there was at any point in time there was panic in the Indian team or amongst the Indian fans. They knew it was just a matter of wiget. Like you said, the quality India was way ahead of all these teams, Oman Nue, whoever you want to put it. If India put in their one hundred persons, I think they would have won even this final. Also, Paisang would have gotten steam rolled. The fact was Parisang got off to a good start, so we expected, oh, this is going to be a tough battle.
Speaker 3: Then what happens three.
Speaker 4: Wickets for thirty three runs, you lose nine wickets, quality gone for a toss.
Speaker 3: Then you get the chance twenty for three again. You let go of your with your decisions. This team is no.
Speaker 4: That team is not going anywhere, to be very honest, and it is best that they do not come to play against India, not just for the political reasons, just for the quality. We are not going to get a very good India versus Paistan match for the next five years or even the next decade.
Speaker 1: I can give that, but that's just the cricketing side of it. Like I am thinking that, now, where does the sport go? Like you have Olympics eight where cricket has been inducted after so many years. Yeah, will do the same thing. I imagine cricket returning after say one hundred and twenty eight years or something twenty four years, and then the global audience watch this, and then they watch all this happening. Ten countries play cricket ten twenty at max. Better don't pick these two countries for the Olympics. Better Yeah for me, much better that way.
Speaker 3: No, why do you say two teams? Why does India not deserve to play.
Speaker 1: As in if you've got to continue doing this. But the rivalry typement rivalry.
Speaker 4: See, the whole thing is that we have all like kingshow you are also a football fan, I am also a football fan. We see the rivalry between Barcelona and a Real Madrid. Has it ever been to a stage like this?
Speaker 1: No, it is not.
Speaker 3: There is, Yes, the fans always have animosity.
Speaker 4: You're not going to always cheer for your opposition player or you're not going to be having customaries exchanged with your opposition fans. But the fact of the matters is there is a decorum that was kept.
Speaker 1: There's this there is this niceness. There is this aspect to sport where you respect your It's not even you talk about the great If you hear Sons talk about Imran Khan or the wesdes Space portrait, you can see the genuine excitement in his face. You can see the way he has respected them and the way they have respected him back. If that is going to be taken away from say, see the next generation of Pakistan players come and gesture to a Supermann Gill. Ten years later they go and say, okay, Superman Gill was involved in this gate. Hey, this subman Gil did this to us. That did that to us. That doesn't sound right, right? And who are you trying to provocate?
Speaker 3: Like you you You are going up against against a.
Speaker 4: Team that has seen the Wirakoli culture that is there. We might say a lot of things, but Koley was a player who used to give it back.
Speaker 3: You have a road.
Speaker 4: Sharmah in the team. You have a road Sharma who has influenced players like mad See.
Speaker 1: Tell me something. Half of the Pakistan youngsters, what do they say we get inspired from ward? We got inspired from Do they not say that? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Because their own players are not good enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But then if this continues, if this public display of hatred continues, I don't know where we are heading. It is and this is that is the monumental failure of the board. That's the major problem India could have gestured. India could have done a lot of things, but they did not decide to. They kept calm, they took a stand, like I said, did not shake hands, explained the reason why they did not shake hands, and then moved on to the next match.
Speaker 4: It was it was a very thorough professional performance from India and on the same hand, what we saw from Pakistan was just classless, tasteless and just outright, I don't know, like irritating. After a point, it was irritating because there was nothing backing this up. You show something, you show some effort on the field that was not there. You were just humiliating yourself. You're humiliating the fans in the stadium and the people back home. So I think yeah.
Speaker 1: Even Zuria was asked by I think Nicol only in this interview that will this continue in India Pakistan matches? Will the handshake continue? He was very, very very tactful in that response, saying that it depends on how the situation is at that time, so we'll take a call. That's the stand probably India will take in the future as well. We'll get to know on Sunday as well when the women's place them India versus Pakistan, that how that works out, because you can't you can't stop people from taking a stand. And I hope the ugliness will not be there. I think it should should not be there. That's the hope for now. But you know what, I'm not going to ask you what is your favorite moment from the Cup because I genuinely what was my favorite?
Speaker 4: I think for that six For me, that short ball, yeah, that was brilliant. I think everything after that what followed also kind of I felt, Okay, Oh, this Indian team is there to make a statement.
Speaker 3: They made the statement.
Speaker 4: Himself looks like a baby like they call babyface assassin. But the way that he conducted himself in that game, he got what whatever he was getting. He was angry and he said, you know, I am a human. I can take it to a level. This was too much from them. There was no need for it. So I gave it back and that was good. So I loved that moment. That was personally, for me, the best moment of Asia Cup. I think that game was for me the game of this tournament. Apart from that, it was just nothing else.
Speaker 1: Now that he has answered that question, I'll ask you that question, same thing. So I don't want to go into this batting writing and all that. There is one ball to Schumann Gill from that Oman pacer, oh, one that comes back. I have There's been no swing in the tournament at all, but that one ball did the trick. So that one for me the final because someone who has always been under the shadows of Suyu Kumar at my hit, he got a day in the sun, his own day in the sun.
Speaker 4: And I personally feel one Suia retires, I think he is going to be that next like maybe not like everybody associates with the rock shots and all that, but we have seen that prime sky where he was the most consistent battle for us in this format. I feel Tilluck will take that.
Speaker 1: Look at Tilluck's average now it's fifty two with a striker of one fifty. We haven't sung enough praises for him, and thank thankfully he stepped up in the finally. You know, he has contributed along with others, but this time and even in the England series earlier this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he played played one in Chennai.
Speaker 1: He has done that for Mumba Indians also in Chennai on difficult conditions. He's always capable of doing that. Is the best cracious man in that and I'm glad that he got that opportunity to show that. Okay, I am ready, I am ready to take all the limelight.
Speaker 4: And props to Shivam Dubai also, like a lot of people say that he's just a player.
Speaker 1: I have never agreed with that. This guy and one of his friends, one of his colleages or whatever he is, he does not I believe that he does not add anything to the lineup, but that you already.
Speaker 4: On that final and matches three Crunch matches Bold also very well, so the first two. I think in the first Power Playoffs.
Speaker 1: He was probably this isn't taken by Gumby. They will bold the first. It's not like you had anyone else. Once that team was decided, you didn't have anyone else. See this military, medium pace, all Aroundoes have always done well against Pakistan in major tournaments. Yeah, go back to Jahn in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 4: I think that the goat was probably five or sixteen in Toronto, So probably a Pakistan problem. But yeah, I think good moments were there. Yeah, but all in all, I think a lack of quality And I would personally say maybe if Ashaka you want to make it a little more this thing, like this time around we saw Yue and Oma, maybe bring in other teams like a Japan who has a cricket team that is coming up maybe bring.
Speaker 1: Enough to qualify for that, you know what should happen, Like how FIFA has Australia and Asia's group.
Speaker 3: We used to Australia Oceania Australasia Cup.
Speaker 1: I think maybe that would make better that we could We could put that social media meme. Also, now that Australia is slowly moving towards.
Speaker 4: Towards we could have, Like we irritated Polisan enough, we could irritate some Australians also, I think that.
Speaker 1: Would be better. Bring it back and have it in ue. It will be fun. I guess is this good prep for T twenty World Cup? I just want to sneak that in.
Speaker 3: Not really, I think there are still issues with this team. I think Sudia's form is but.
Speaker 1: At least that was something that was laid bare that you're not ready to, you know, defend your T twenty World Cup title.
Speaker 4: But yeah, there are still areas to improve. I don't feel personally I felt a little off with Schumann Gill being in that team. I felt Sanju should have battered up top. The team looked way different at that point in time when you had Sanju Abishaik then you had Suria or Tilla coming in the team had a little bit more dynamism to it. Schumann being there kind of feels forced, and that is something I think they need to take.
Speaker 1: A decision on it.
Speaker 3: I don't see to his credit.
Speaker 4: I think he played well in that Pakistan game Super Force match, and I think he did well against Sri Lanka also, he did well, but not great like what we saw from Samsung up top that was brilliant. Three hundreds in I don't know four or five matches. I guess he played that has to be rewarded and you suddenly take it away from him.
Speaker 1: He lost in the middle.
Speaker 3: That it's the way no, But then Sancho Samson feels lost in the middle. Order of fifty score of fifteen will knock in the final. That also was the slowest fifty ever.
Speaker 1: See. The major problem with that is with putting Samson down a gillup is that last one year you've had a gun batting lineup like come hit, come hate till number eight or whatever, and then see where where you end this team. It feels a little more measured, which is the kind of identity that the world is trying to get out of. So that's the thing That's why it feels South Indian cricketers shouldn't complain. They should be thankful that they're getting an opportunity.
Speaker 3: Okay, just because there's what we have had.
Speaker 4: Like then you would probably have a problem if is being sidelined because our Russian or like let's say, like Harbuzon comes out of retirement and he's like, oh no, Harbuzon has to play.
Speaker 1: That the same thing, supern Gil No, I am just saying.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying a person who does not fit in this team. My analogy might be wrong, but a person who's not fitting into this team makes it kind of disjointed for.
Speaker 1: Me, and let's let's give him at least a few move.
Speaker 4: A lot of people ask me this question, who's going to be the next captain for India after Suriah retired, which I think is twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: Now I clearly stated, why are you even asking this question? Schuben will will be the captain.
Speaker 1: That Australia series might give us a lot of false confidence, but there because Cameron Green is not going to play, is not going to Stark is retired, Stark has got still the conditions and all that it's not going to do. What I'm saying is that three top bowlers will not be bowling in that series, Green, Cummins and marsh And if all of them three come back into the T twenty World Cup fold and they start bowling, that will be a problem for India. That's you know, we still have to discuss the that's a discussion for another day. The discussion for another day. But let's promise our viewers and listeners that will come up with a review of the first Test and not a preview of the first Test. Are playing test much. That's that's how this build up has been Asia Cup. And two days later India taking on Western.
Speaker 3: Western and West Indies have lost.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Just when Darren Sammy said I have three pacers who can perform well in all conditions, two or three are out, you know, I just and then they have lost to Nepal also West Indies.
Speaker 1: This is the kind of underestimation that you guys did when New Zealand came. What will they do? Yeah? So when you have been blanked three nail in a home series and I think that's always safety.
Speaker 3: You know, there is serious seriousness within that selection that came in.
Speaker 1: I hope Gumbiri is not in the Asia Cup mode thinking that okay, we are going to play a substandard part and then goes without. But he has come where has come to before anyone else. I think West Indies are coming to India after that twenty seven right, Yes, against Australia, I think, but.
Speaker 4: They have also come to the sub continent defeated Pakistan on those idiotic pictures that were created.
Speaker 1: That's wait, yeah, I think only twenty four, not early twenty four. I think like March four, if I'm not wrong, was it. Yeah, it must be back for a while. Yeah, that's that Worrican spell that you're spell is there in this side as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think Moti is not their Moti is being I think rested. I think they are protecting him from that frost chase. And they've kicked out their old captain, Craig Brathwaite. He's being replaced by one of India's biggest fears in Test cricket, mister Tundrapoul's son. He was a big, big performer against India Shimara and and his son is coming in and playing. So there is a lot of good elements there.
Speaker 1: But but you will definitely ask cricket lovers will definitely enjoy the Test series more than one. Red ball is way more enjoyable and aside like West Indies where there will be no death for you know, mutual respect and yeah, they are going to play the game hardfair Hopefully they play it hard they do justice to the you know the whatabur talent is available on that note, isn't like? We should ask our viewers and listeners also to share their thoughts on what they felt about the Asia Cup and whether they felt the postioning from Pakistan was nauseating and whether they thought the stand that they took the you know, you can also respond to that whether the Indian stand was you were you okay with that stand or not? You can send in your thoughts on eight double eight nine double six double nine six. If you're listening to us on Spotify and Apple Podcast, please do rate us, and like we always say, if you're watching us on YouTube, please do leave your comments. We'll be more than happy to learn your feedback. Thank you, have a great week