Speaker 1: This is the JB and Sandy Show podcast. You can listen live every morning on one of three point one in Austin, or stream the show on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Longtime Austin Restaurants shutting down its last location. We'll tell you about that in just a second. But since we're talking about food, let's get at checking with JB. Is this is day three of your fast? Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I'm on day three. My plan is to only do three days.
Speaker 3: I'm I might extend it one more day and see how I feel tomorrow.
Speaker 4: But I'm you know, you're not irritable.
Speaker 3: No, I feel pretty good. My like energy's okay. I feel all right, you know, just a little my stomach feels a little, a little crampy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like it's eating itself.
Speaker 3: Oh, but I don't feel bad.
Speaker 4: I'm not dying. Yeah, I'm drinking lots of water.
Speaker 2: That's a question that was asked from one of our listeners. Nina sentus a text said, please ask JB what his typical fasting routine is. Is it so only water in his protein drink all day for three days?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Thanks, I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: One thing I did really look forward to is I've told you all before. I like any of my supplements I'll take if they're make them in gummy form, I will take them in gummy form. It's like a little treat. So I've been kind of doubling up on my supplements.
Speaker 4: Something there. Yeah, so it's kind of like eating a little sweet treat, right. But yeah, I feel pretty good.
Speaker 3: I think I'm down like again, I don't care about what the scale says, but it is like five or six pounds right away? What did I And I haven't been working out these three days.
Speaker 4: I've been busy.
Speaker 3: When I did this last year, I was still working out, and I lost twenty pounds in three weeks after three day fast and then and then doing a little car What I'm looking forward to is is doing doing what I did last year. Is after the three day fast, do a few weeks of just like all carnivor diet. Sorry if you're a vegetarian and listening to this, but.
Speaker 4: That's what I was going to ask. What are you going to break your fast with?
Speaker 3: Like rack of ribs, probably barbecue, probably some browns, barbecue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just get all in it right both hands.
Speaker 4: You know what I want to try too?
Speaker 3: Because I've got the new hib in my neighborhood, Old Twarf in Congress, and they have a hole on the first floor, a whole barbecue restaurant like it. Oh yeah, it's got to be pretty decent, like h GB. No one would tolerate that, right, they put out right like everything they do is on point. So I need I want to I need to duck in there and grab some of that to go and try it.
Speaker 2: Speaking of getting all into your food, quick side note, we're going to get to the restaurant that's closing down. This guy that is running for mayor of New York. Have you seen the video of him eating rice with his hands. He's like doing an interview and he's got a bull of rice. He's eating it with his hands.
Speaker 5: I think it's a cultural thing. It's not in his culture. Wow, I mean culture. I think that's that's why he's doing that.
Speaker 4: What do you mean his culture? He's running for mayor of New York?
Speaker 6: I know, but he's isn't he? What is he? Where is he?
Speaker 4: Born in Uganda and educated in South Africa? Right?
Speaker 2: I understand we eat with our hands tacos, Hamburger's ribs.
Speaker 4: They don't eat rice with our hands rice? Yeah? Is that a cultural thing?
Speaker 2: Like in parts of the world they just shovel it in their mouths with their hands.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: A lot of them use like a flatbread and just kind of scoop things up. I mean, he looked like a raccoon. It was weird, and he was doing it during an interview. Yeah, that's the weird part. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So when and where you do that kind of thing? Yeah, call me uncultured. Sorry, I didn't know.
Speaker 2: I thought most humans eight with utensils, at least rice with utensils. Speaking of food, Bye bye ze Tejas, bye bye.
Speaker 6: Thirty six years in Austin.
Speaker 2: Yep, their last one they're setting down. Where was their last one in Cedar.
Speaker 4: Park, Kyle.
Speaker 6: The last was in Kyle and it closed down on June thirtieth. It is done. Their flagship was on West sixth Street.
Speaker 3: Wes sixth Street, and it was like one of the best margaritios they do, like a spice spicy margarita. Yes, and the food was great, but man, that's heritage and that was like a hot happy hour kind of place. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: I used to stop at the one in the Arboretum. I did this for years. You know, the typical dude Christmas shopping, do it all in one evening, right like three days three days before Christmas, get all your presents. And I always went to the one in the arbor, eat them and had a drink afterwards.
Speaker 4: That had a big bar and a great cho Yeah.
Speaker 6: The view on that patio was amazing.
Speaker 2: It was, and I remember I ate been there a million times. I never ordered. I always ordered the exact same thing. When I went. They had a chicken fried ribbi that was amazing, so good. I know, first to get your attention, right, but it is so good that sounds unbelievable.
Speaker 4: I've never had that unbelievable good or bad.
Speaker 3: No, it sounds really good. Yeah, like yeah, because we've joked out. Like when I was growing up in Austin, everybody had chicken fried everything. M chicken fried steak was a standard in Austin.
Speaker 6: You could write anything like chicken that wasn't chicken.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and your veggies were lightly chicken fried.
Speaker 6: I mean everything was lightly chicken.
Speaker 2: So they shut down on June. At the end of June. That's in thirty six years. Pretty good, Rod, if you think, yeah, the restaurant game pretty good. I want if they just got you know that the market got so saturated in restaurants because this is not the same restaurant town it was in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 3: Now it's this is a foodie town and people bounce around with trends.
Speaker 4: It's the same thing with the bar business.
Speaker 3: You know, we've got friends in the bar business, and you know, it's so competitive. And then you know the kind of the people that a lot of the people that are moving into Austin tend you know, the younger people are going to bounce and go where it's trendy. Where we had just you know, X number of places and they were heritage and you went.
Speaker 4: We all went to the same and full of places. It seems I was such a poser.
Speaker 2: Remember I told you guys earlier this week that Landry and I went to Butler Pitch and Putt and first time to go there, and we played. Got partnered up with this husband and wife, young couple, and we're talking like so what do you know they were visiting from Atlanta, and I was like, well, hell, are you guys in town?
Speaker 4: Which do last night? They go, oh, yeah, we went to swear Tee last night.
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh, yeah, I knit greatbe what.
Speaker 4: Swear te was.
Speaker 2: But it was like the place is great. Yeah, yeah, I'm glad you that's a good choice. Such a liar and post her about it. I had no idea what they were talking about.
Speaker 4: None. Where is it? You want to know where? I don't even know where it was. Either it's it on the East Side probably, I don't know East Austin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I know my wife and I were talking about we need to get out of our you know, like most people, you get in the habits of eating at the same three or four places. Yeah, like you have your staples, and it's it's hard to break out of that. And I'm trying because you read about so many cool new places, Like where.
Speaker 2: Was that place we went to? That was kind of a New Orleans type of thing. It was two dudes' names, Is it Nick?
Speaker 4: And Sam's? Is that in Dallas? Nick? And Sam's? Is that in Dallas? That doesn't sound right.
Speaker 6: It was the place in East Foston. Right, there's a photo of y'all sitting at the bar.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah it was great because we we did that time, we got out of our bubble and tried something.
Speaker 4: Different right, and it was really good.
Speaker 6: Sir Day, by the way, is on East sixth Street, of course, Thick.
Speaker 4: And Owls, Vick and Owls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great that's a great place to be. You've never been there. Super cool, very is good.
Speaker 3: Oh and you know what another barbecue we were talking about barbecue earlier. Another one I want to try because it got it got on some list. It's south off ben White, just off ben White. Well Ben White's pretty big, like near near Banister, I think. And it's called Leroy and Lewis. I think it's come up on some lists and I want to try it.
Speaker 2: They sound like guys that that hiked the Oregon track.
Speaker 4: I've got a question for you. So tonight, JB.
Speaker 2: We're taking one of our daughter's good friends and classmates who just graduated from high school and she leaves for Navy boot camp on the seventh, I think. And she's a friend and we're taking her out to dinner tonight. And the big joke with her is that for it was their homecoming or problem. They went to dinner somewhere and she was wearing this really nice dress and dress and white dress and ordered extra saucy ribs and she by the end of the meal had the thing all over her, sauce all over her. But my question, she wants to go have ribs tonight. Why are we not going? Why are we going to Outback and not going.
Speaker 5: To a barby Plus you said Outback has good ribs.
Speaker 4: I do, but at first I threw out. I was like, well, let's just go to Rudy's.
Speaker 2: I guess I don't understand why we're going to a steak place to get ribs.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: As I heard you say that Outback has good ribs. I really just went the bloomin onion from output.
Speaker 4: Won't never eat one again.
Speaker 6: Here's my stomach cup, just tres the stomach up everything.
Speaker 4: We're back to Chicken fried. We're back to chicken.
Speaker 2: It's the jab And Sandy said, thanks for being with us, have a happy Fourth of July. We are taking tomorrow off at Austin's eighties station one oh three point one, streaming on iHeartRadio app