Speaker 1: Welcome into the J and K Security Solutions Basketball postgame show. I'm your host Dave Gasper, joined by Nick Brucewitz Thosesconsin Badgers came up short in a seventy one sixty two loss to the Michigan State Spartans. You can join the conversation with us on the hotline six eight, three two one thirteen ten. The Badgers were in it a back and forth Big Ten battle with Michigan State, but they just could not shoot the ball from three like they normally do, just five of thirty two from beyond the arc. Overall, the Badgers played pretty well, but if you're going to beat Michigan State on their court, you're going to need to be better. You're going to need everything working for you and Nick, the Badgers just didn't shoot well enough to make it happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: That's the biggest takeaway from this game is that you need to be able to make your shots, especially when they're open shots. Wisconsin was pressured, but a lot of those misses. You know, you miss twenty seven threes five of thirty two. As you've referenced, you've got some problems between the ears. Potentially the atmosphere could have been a problem. And also when you consider what Michigan State was able to do on the offensive boards thirteen offensive rebounds, and it was just a dominant performance down low for Jackson Coher able to get seven offensive rebounds, nine defensive rebounds, sixteen rebounds for the big man for the Spartans led to some extra opportunities for them, no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the Spartans also had plenty of opportunities at the rim with seven dunks in this game, seven dunks. Allowing that, allowing that kind of penetration to the rim, you can't have it, especially when every single one when you're on the road there, it is just going to lead to that much more energy and that just gets the Breslan Center crowd back into it. And that is just such an issue for Wisconsin to have, letting them get back into it, allowing all those dunks. It seems like every time Wisconsin's getting close, maybe making a little bit of a run, maybe making this a bit of a game, Wisconsin could get back in front all of a sudden, No, there's a slam dunk for Michigan State. Oh, there's another dunk for Michigan State, and the momentum just swings right back every single time you allow one of those.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and I think maybe lost in this performance, and maybe people won't look back at it and consider Max Klesman didn't play, and he's arguably their best passer, maybe their best playmaker, right, so his triple penetration to get guys in rhythm from deep you didn't have Max. He had Kamari play today, starting lineup one of eight from the field. Like people are gonna think that this was an even matchup at full strength and not really look at it and say, yeah, they might have lost arguably their second or third most significant player before today's game. No Max Klesman for Wisconsin. You lose by nine, you're in it to the end. Tough road environment. It's a tough loss to take in terms of what we thought they could be two weeks ago, in terms when you consider the Big Ten regular season title, that's now not possible for Wisconsin after today's loss. But they're still very much in the thick of it. There's still if it's if the season ended today a double by team, so they'd play on Friday at the Big Ten Tournament.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and not having Klusm it was a pretty big deal for Wisconsin and just coming in, I mean they knew it's not having them against Washington a little different than not having him against Washington State. Force Kamari McGee into a different role, and you know, Max Pusman maybe a little bit of that engine that helps keep this thing rolling even if he's not the big scoring threat that he has been in years past. We got fun facts with Dave coming up on the other side as we continue to break down this Badger's loss seventy one sixty two to Michigan State. Don't go anywhere you're listening to the J and K Security Solutions Basketball postgame Show.
Speaker 4: He's just a pass up top or say if you're fucker and he had his pocket picked by Tanjay on the run Tanja Downald Lake to the rim, two hand slam, donc john Tonjay.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the J and K Security Solutions Basketball postgame Show. Jay and K Security Solutions from Home Theaters is smart lighting to a universal home control Go online to jksecurity dot com. Although the facts are never quite as fun Nick after a loss, that does not mean that we don't have any sort of fun facts to go with as it is time for our fun facts with Dave.
Speaker 5: Hey, have you ever heard me?
Speaker 4: Here's the term fun fact.
Speaker 5: I got a couple of fun facts here because I have a fun fact. You have a fun fact.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: First time in history this has happened at eight games, five turnovers, and he's recorded thirty five assists. Spent a long time since we've seen a game like this.
Speaker 2: The fun out here.
Speaker 5: This game's fun. Okay, that fact is fun?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Are you fired up?
Speaker 1: I'm fired fired up for fun facts with Dave. All Right, couple of fun facts after this one, and this one maybe not quite as fun as it is depressing, but the Badger is shooting five of thirty two in this game, sixteen percent from three. It is their worst three point field goal percentage of this season. Their previous worst was twenty percent against Detroit Mercy earlier this season, when they shot seven of thirty five. It's their worst three point percentage in Big Ten play in three years, and they faced Illinois three years ago, going three for twenty four. So it was a rough day shooting, but fun fun fact. On the flip side, here Nick that Detroit Mercy game where they had their worst three point shooting percentage. Their next game they had their best when they shot one hundred and sixteen. You got one hundred and sixteen points against Iowa. So lookout Minnesota. Yeah, look out Minnesota. Maybe putting one hundred points on you, just saying there's yeah, not good. Odd to the next Maybe this next fact will be a little bit more fun. Maybe Wisconsin, their winning streak at the Breslan Center ends at three. They've only been three teams in history to have won three straight games at the Breslan Center, and their pursuit of four comes to an end here. Just one team in history has won more than three in a row at the Bresident Center, and that was Perdue when they won five straight in the nineteen nineties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that man in Michigan State, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very hard to beat Michigan State at the Restlan Center that many times. Only one team in history has ever done it more than three times in a row. So Wisconsin comes up short. No shame in that. But our final fact here in fun Facts with Dave Nolan, Winter today seventeen rebounds, setting a new career high for himself, and it's the first fifteen plus rebound game for the Badgers since Johnny Davis in twenty twenty two. A little surprising that Johnny was one who got fifteen plus, but he did. Wow, and he was just three rebounds away from the first twenty rebound game for the Badgers since nineteen seventy six. That's wild stuff. Congrats Nolan just short of a double double.
Speaker 3: Crazy. He had the seventeen boards, but two of seven from the field, four to four from the free throw line. Finishes with nine points. But that's a lot of rebounds game high. I just gave a lot of credit to Jackson Cohler who had sixteen rebounds, but Nolan had seventeen.
Speaker 5: How about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was quite the game for a rebound and of course there were a lot of opportunities because the Badgers were missing a lot of shots, especially from three Michigan State. I mean, they only shot thirty nine percent on the game, so a lot of misshots, a lot of opportunities for rebounds, but certainly a rougher game offensively for the Badgers, just sixteen percent from three. Coming up, we'll hear from head coach Greg Gardwaalz talk with Nick Os of twenty four to seven Sports Keep a locked down here. This is the JK Security Solutions Basketball postgame Show. Welcome back to the jan K Security Solutions Basketball postgame Show from Home Security Automation Jay and K Security Solutions. As you covered. Go to jksecurity dot com for more info. Badger's fall to Michigan State seventy one sixty two and head coach Greg Guard couldn't have been too pleased with his three point shooting performance from his team, and he ended up catching up with Brian Butch after the game.
Speaker 2: All right, coach, we'll start here five of thirty two from three. But still, you know, attack the paint, did some good things offense when you're not making shots. What is the message to the guys that kind of keep rolling through a bad shooting day.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, you're you're always gonna build your program and your team to be able to survive those and the two things that we didn't do well enough when when you have one of these five for thirty two games, and part of that's Michigan State's defense. Part of it we didn't we had good looks. I thought we had some really good looks at times from the right guys. But you have untimely turnovers, and I thought we had a one point game with about five six minutes ago, and we turned the ball over twice in a row coming in transition, and those are the things, the ones that you can't you can't give them Mulligan right back after we had got them to miss, we got to got them to miss a free throw, and then some offensive rebounding, you know, timely offensive rebounding. We had some ball screen coverages mixstakes there where Kohler and Cooper got loose, uh in terms of late in the clock on on ball screens. But it was the turnovers really, I think when we had a chance to take the lead, and then specifically obviously the the timely offensive rebounds that we gave up, which they have been doing. You know, they're there, that's their knack. That's how they've survived and gotten to this point. They get the right ones at the right time.
Speaker 5: You guys are doing a really good job.
Speaker 2: That first Afgan points that got a little bit away from that Michigan State they ended up for the game.
Speaker 5: It ended up thirty two to thirty two.
Speaker 2: Michigan State had twenty six and the second half and because I think a little bit was that ballscreen coverage of offensive rebounds, ball screen coverage, you know, the transition that ends up being you know, we had two or three pick sixes we turned the ball over that led to transition baskets for them.
Speaker 6: But yeah, it was It wasn't the back you down. It was the two guys running with the ball and and uh not you know, not having a guy loading back at the rim being too spread out behind it. In terms of the points in the pain we had, we had the ball inside. We missed some looks, we missed some layups, miss some point blank ones.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: But like I said, when I probably when I break the film down here, it's going to be untimely turnovers and and obviously uh you know, not not cleaning up possessions, not finished the possession with the rebound where we had got him into a tough look and we gave him another twenty seconds to get a better look.
Speaker 2: Talking about rebounds, Nolan Winter was seventeen of them. You know, continue his growth showing what he's done development wise. When you look at Nolan, what what was it that you know to continue to improve.
Speaker 5: In that area which he has so far. You know, this entire year. Yeah, I think it's you know, it's experience and strength.
Speaker 6: You know, he's stronger than he was a year ago, and he'll be stronger next year than what he is now. And I think that's just the evolution of a post player that you want to see happen. And he has a nose for the ball. He's got some toughness to him, and he's got some grit, and he's a baddler. You know, he just needs to continue to develop his body and develop his game. And I was obviously we got him to miss a fair amount when they shoot, they shoot twenty.
Speaker 5: Nine for the game. You know, you have to give yourself a chance.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't know if at black one times you're going to go two for fifteen a lot of days.
Speaker 5: But even given that fact, if we.
Speaker 6: Do a couple of those other little things, better that we're right where we need to be.
Speaker 2: It's two point game with four minutes of play. You guys are in that thing as you guys shoot five or thirty two. So you did everything you need to do with the last little couple of possessions. But you know, two left here in big ten play. Obviously had a chance to talk to the guys, what's the message with two left as you got a lot.
Speaker 5: To play for us?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I mean we got to get get back here today, rest and get ready tomorrow for a Minnesota team that's coming in you know, playing pretty well right now if they wanted the buzzer at Nebraska yesterday.
Speaker 5: Obviously we know it's a rivalry border game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we got a lot to play for in terms of seating in Big Ten play, nca tournament and beyond. But you know this, we'll learn from this. You know, maybe we'll see him down the road in Indianapolis or or later in March.
Speaker 5: All right, thanks coach, appreciate it, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Thanks Brian Blie. Guys, thank you very much. Michigan State all winner. Here this afternoon, seventy one sixty two.
Speaker 1: We are just about out of time here on the JANK Security Solutions Basketball post game show. Jane K Security Solutions can give you the power you never thought possible. Learn how JANK can integrate your world. Visit jksecurity dot com. Badger the next in action Wednesday night at seven point thirty at Minnesota.
Speaker 5: We will talk to you after that one.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. This has been the Jank Security Solutions Basketball postgame.
Speaker 4: Showy looking hot, The Tan Jay fakes the three, takes a three left corner and that is an airball. Comes down to Jeremy Fears he'll dribble out the clock and the Michigan State Spartans will win by nine. Well, a day where the Badgers just could not shoot straight, a very good three point shooting team had a very bad day this afternoon, five out of thirty two from the yark As the Spartans get their twenty fourth win of the year. The Badgers fall to twenty two and seven twelve and six in the Big Ten Conference final score Michigan State seventy one, Wisconsin sixty two