Speaker 1: Make us the number one preset on your car radio and on the free, new and improved iHeartRadio app. Listen for all your music, radio and podcast free never.
Speaker 2: Sounded so good. One three one Austin dot com.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the JB and Sandy Show on Austin's eighty station. What O three point one? All right, everyone, thanks for being with us. It's the JB and Sandy Hour. If you're brand new here, we do it every day from seven until eight o'clock. And of course you can grab the podcast version of the show as well. Search JB and Sandy on the iHeartRadio app. I'm Sandy, This is JB. Hello, Trisha's here as well. Hi everybody, and JBS stumbled upon something that I think you might find interesting. Someone that's going to be in town tomorrow night and doing two shows tomorrow and Thursday night. I remembered you were a fan of his sister, but I also think you were a fan of David Sedaris.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the writer. Yeah fan, he is.
Speaker 3: He's playing the Paramount Theater tomorrow night and on Thursday night. And I have a clip of him and he's here. He is, he's on a podcast and the host asked him about a children's book that he wrote. I thought you might get a kick out of it.
Speaker 2: There's no message in this book for the kids. There's no lesson and there's no message.
Speaker 1: And I just loved your defense of that, which was like, well, poor.
Speaker 2: Kids, I mean everybody, I mean and obviously, and there's a message.
Speaker 4: When you look at every children's book, there's a message, and they get caught and it's not doing any good. There's look at these adults. It didn't work.
Speaker 3: He's like, there's still a holes the messages. The message isn't doing any good. So why write a children's book with a message? They're not getting it?
Speaker 2: And so he's he's arguably the funniest writer ever.
Speaker 3: You like him more than I know. You're a big Dave Berry fan too. I know Dave's retired and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it hits a little differently, but I'd say David Sedaris is probably my favorite humor writer of all time. And I've gone to one of these shows before he reads a lot from the book.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's what I was going to ask. What does a writer do with her I don't understand what do they do?
Speaker 1: They tell some stories and I actually paid for a meet and greet one time.
Speaker 2: I was such a big fan. And what do you say, it's so awkward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but uh yeah, they read from their some of their new stuff, and they'll share some stories. And he's got he's just one of the best storytellers ever. He got really big by telling his stories on the radio. Oh really yeah, and so you know, it was a public radio thing and that's where he got people got familiar with him.
Speaker 3: Just a brilliant storyteller. And he was a writer for the New Yorker or did he write for everybody?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Probably mostly the New Yorker. But he lives he's in New Yorker, but he he lives at least half the time in France too. He's a goofy guy. He used to walk around and pick up trash every day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have a neighbor that and I'm always like, thank God for people like her. I saw her once out like and she was not in the neighborhood. It's just outside of the neighborhood, on a main street, outside of a school. She'd walked her grandson to school and she was walking by and there's like this little canal like drainage sewage area, that water runoff area, and I saw her look and she looked over the edge and then she kind of stood up straight, and then she walked around and down into the ditch and came out holding a big old piece of trash. You know, she's out there looking for it.
Speaker 1: You know another writer that picks up trash almost daily is Michael Barnes from The Statesman.
Speaker 2: Really yeah.
Speaker 1: He he lives just off South Congress and you'll see him in the morning walking along. He's got the little trash grabber yeah yeah, and the claw clips yeah. And he'll cruise down Congress and pick up up some things. And I see every guy that's not a writer. I don't think he's a writer. Maybe he is a writer.
Speaker 3: But I see a guy like at one eighty three and McNeil on the Access Road by the Tesla dealership there. I see him all the time walking around up and down that street, just picking up trash.
Speaker 4: Really, you know, they just had the annual cleanup on Ladyberg Lake. Volunteers signed up to pick up trash up and down Ladybird Lake.
Speaker 2: That's cool. I like that people do that.
Speaker 3: Also, this week only playing one show, but Tristia I know you're kind of sort of a fan. Sorry, friends, but we cannot play the music on the podcast. It's Tricia Yearwood who we're talking about.
Speaker 4: I like your music. I love to watch your cooking show because she's funny.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 4: You know, she's not all but up and serious. And she makes a mistake on her show. They show the mistake.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I relate to.
Speaker 3: Cooking show that you watch, and she is so boring too, but her food is so good. Yep, that is the most boring woman alive.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: She Oh my gosh, she every I'm a horrible cook. We've talked about this. I can't do it for some reason. But every one of the Pioneer Woman's recipes that I have tried have come out perfectly, and we've adopted one for all of the all of the holidays, the swee potato casserole. We call it the crack castrole. It's delicious and unbelievable. We got it from her. There's a few that we that I can make every once in a while that are hers.
Speaker 2: She is to listen to.
Speaker 4: She tries to spice it up a little bit. She'll throw out what she thinks is a little a little spicy joke or something like that and then kind of giggle it herself and I'm all, girl, lock this up.
Speaker 3: And what's funny is that my so, my mom's younger sister, lives with my parents and she's a big help with them, and she can't stand the Pioneer Woman hates her hates So what does Tricia give her for Christmas? Pioneer Woman cook? But yep, Tricia Yearwood Plane tomorrow acl live at the Movie Theater. That's kind of be a good show to see you forget. Trisia Yearwood had a ton.
Speaker 4: Of hits, a ton of hits in this beautiful voice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she can flat out sing. Coming up on the show too, This should be kind of fun. About seven twenty five ish iconic Austin restaurants by the decade when they started that are still around. Yeah, we often spend a lot of time griping about the ones that are gone, but let's talk about the ones that are still here. And they're great, a lot of great places. So we'll break that down for you in just a little bit. And Tricia's got the story we love coming up.
Speaker 2: What do you have? All Right?
Speaker 4: I told y'all that I'm obsessed with the Pope and the Vatican and the Conclave. So they have announced a date that the conclave is going to start, and I'm going to bring everybody up to date on that. I think stuff like this is so cool.
Speaker 2: Trisia's got the story we love.
Speaker 3: She's going to give you all the info that you might need to know about the conlay, which is where all the cardinals of the Catholic Church come together and roam to vote on the new pope. That's just a minute away. But first, would you guys like to know some of the titles of the most downloaded episodes of the JB and Sandy podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Yes, please, you become quite the title master.
Speaker 3: I really try hard at this, I really do. And I'm telling you, the better the title, the more downloads it gets.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: One of them that is done very well in the last thirty days. It's like it's titled it's like dating a chick with hairy arm pits. That's what we were talking about Westlake, and JB was telling us how it's very When he lived there, it was very strict and they don't want a bunch of perfectly manicured yards, natural, all natural and stuff, and I was like yeah, and JV said, you kind of get used to it, you know, and I was like, I was like, yeah, it's kind of like dating a chick with Harry arm Right. At first You're like, I don't know if I like that, and then you're like, I guess it's okay.
Speaker 4: I guess fire Danger. You put it next to Harry Arnt. Pit Girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Another title that's doing really really well, still very popular, thank you. JB's I Like to pull down my pants and Sit in pudding. That was I don't remember, oh that was referring to the guy that had the T shirt that said I love bare feet.
Speaker 2: In grass or something like that.
Speaker 4: I was like, I would never date that person, and JB was like, it, what's.
Speaker 3: The point and you might as well have might as well say I like to pull down my pants and sit and pudding. A couple more fun titles that are doing very very well on the podcast is when JB and Sandy thought they were hot, We thought we were hot stuff. You got to go listen to that. And finally, another one that has done very well. Things you have been brainwashed to believe you need The big one on that was the twelve step skin care product program or whatever.
Speaker 4: It was routine, routine, right, all kinds of schedules and products. It was ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Go check out the podcast on the iHeartRadio app just search JB and Sandy The Stories We Love Live.
Speaker 2: From the Laser Holtz Studio.
Speaker 4: Here's Tricia Delicia. So the Catholic Cardinals announced on Monday that the date that the conclave is going to start to elect the new Pope Francis's successor is going to be May seventh. Now, there is a little bit of a delay, a two day delay from when normally they would start it based on I think there's like a fifteen day maybe ten to fifteen day time period from when the boat dies to when the conclave is supposed to start. They're delaying it by two days because there are so many new cardinals coming from all points of the world that most of them don't know each other, and in order for them to be more successful once they are locked into the Sistine Chapel to start the conclave, they're giving them a few extra days to get to know each other.
Speaker 2: Are you're out already?
Speaker 4: The other one is party at the Vatican. I guess so party at the Vatican. Some of the cardinals, twenty of them were just made cardinals in December by Pope Francis. Clean new Yes, So in the vote every day, right, the vote four times a day every day until there is a two thirds vote on who the new cardinal will be. The big question is is it going to be somebody who's elected who's going to continue the more progressive thoughts of Pope Francis, or is it going to be a pope that's going to take you back to the rule and law of the Bible and the doctrine. So that's the big question right now. Who it's going to be in which direction they're going to take it.
Speaker 3: I think that the series Conclave on Netflix. I read that the viewership of that is up like two hundred persons of this because the Pope frances passed right.
Speaker 4: And it's a complete and total coincidence that he passed away right when this series came out debuted. But from what I've read, I mean, yeah, what I've seen, it's supposed to be a very very good series.
Speaker 3: And black smoke, no white smoke, yes, yes, right, mm hmm. That's how they send the message out, which is what's kind of interesting if you're a history buff at all, is that they've been doing this the exact same way for two thousand years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like no change in the conclave, right, tradition at all. I think stuff like that's incredible.
Speaker 3: I do too, it's uh, I don't know. There something to be said for two thousand years of tradition.
Speaker 4: And not doing it on zoom, yes, not allowing any cameras in the Sistine Chapel.
Speaker 3: Uh. You know, it's also interesting to go down if we will, go down the rabbit hole. But you can look it up yourself. How the Dalai Lama's chosen. Have you ever read about that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: No, they look They look for all millions of signs, like where they look for a child starters, And because it's the belief is that it's a reincarnation, and it has a lot to do where the the llama is when he passes, where they look at different wind You can read up about it. It's kind of interesting how they how they go about it. So, and that's also steeped in years of tradition. Yeah, and how that's done.
Speaker 4: Do you know none of the cardinals who vote for the new pope can be over the age of eighty. Really, age limit only eighty and below. If you're eighty one, you're out. You can't vote.
Speaker 2: Huh do they still get to party?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: No, I'll think anybody knows what they do in there.
Speaker 2: They might have to tweak that. Over time, people are living a lot longer. That's true. Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: So we don't know when once they start voting, we don't know how long it will be.
Speaker 4: It could be a day, it could be ten days.
Speaker 2: Who knows.
Speaker 4: They just stay in there until they until they decide, and people stand outside the whole time waiting to see this color of the smoke.
Speaker 3: They should just live stream it. It's the live stream of the chimney, right.
Speaker 4: Well, hell, they're live streaming all the other random things moose migrations, rattlesnake dens. I feel like this one would be worthy of a live stream. Yeah, right, and then you get to find out what name the pope chooses.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I came up last week like, how long has it been since we've been through this process?
Speaker 2: Twelve years?
Speaker 4: Twelve years almost thirteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 3: That's the story, We love stay with us still to come. Iconic restaurants in Austin by the decade, all right, we spent a lot of time talking about the ones that are gone. Let's recognize the ones that have been here for a long time. We'll share them. Coming up on Austin's EIGHTES station. What O three point one, it's the jav and Sandy Show, and you can now save us as a preset on the iHeartRadio app. It's Austin's ades station. What oh three point one. There's an iconic bar in Austin that was purchased for three hundred dollars in the seventies. Wow, we're hundred three one hundred dollars. Wait, do we tell you what it is? I mean, it's shocking. But let's go back in time a little bit. We spent a lot of time talking about how much the city has changed and how many different iconic places have gone away in the last five ten years or so. But this is pretty fun. Iconic restaurants in Austin by the decade. We start with the nineteen fifties. I guess there were no restaurants in Austin before the nineteen fifties, but that's where it starts out. Cisco's opened in nineteen fifty Wow.
Speaker 2: On East sixth Street.
Speaker 1: Still yeah, I still got that sign out front, that kind of a caricature.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I'm the guy. Yeah wow.
Speaker 3: Then jump in wherever you guys want here and fifty one deep Betty Cabaret opened up.
Speaker 2: It was just their last week make Austin and it's been.
Speaker 1: It was just in the last year was made a historical marker which could preserve that place.
Speaker 4: Oh that's nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they can't do anything with it. The building Yeah right.
Speaker 1: I mean right, I mean the rest that could go away in an office can move in there, but the building will live. I mean that place has had a resurgence. I think we it just meaning like forever it was just like the crustial locals.
Speaker 2: It was just a grumpy place.
Speaker 1: And now it's like really hip with the twenty somethings really, especially since they added it really changed when they added Pool Burger behind it, which is one of the best burgers in town.
Speaker 2: By the way, isn't that just a beer joint too?
Speaker 3: It's not a they have they have full bar now, oh they do, yeah, because that was a canned beer joint for a long time. Yeah, it was. It was rough. I've always said the professionals go to deep bed. I mean, those are real drinkers. You can't really talk tex mex In Austin without talking about mats al Rancho, which came around in nineteen fifty two on South Lamar.
Speaker 1: It's so funny that I was there, I don't know, six months ago or something. We met up with some friends and I wasn't like a regular going there growing up or anything.
Speaker 2: And it's so easy to think, oh, it's just overrated, it's just whatever, and.
Speaker 1: Then you go into Mattzell Ranch and the service is just amazing, real like they've had employees, you've worked there forever, and it's you know, places, a lot of places just don't have the hustle anymore. Like that place is just bomping, like they're on point. Great stuff. Well it's stuff.
Speaker 4: It's owned and operated by his daughters still, so it's been in the family this whole time.
Speaker 3: One hundred and two. No, I'm sorry, Matt Martinez from mattz a Rancho. He started out, it says uh in nineteen twenty three, selling to Molly's from a wooden push cart near.
Speaker 2: The Capitol when he was six. Yeah, she's a hustler from the beginning, right. Yeah, here's what trist I know.
Speaker 3: You've got some history with yeap el Patio on Guadalie four, my best.
Speaker 4: Friend Sean, she and her face, they're all the time. I've never been there without her, oh really ever. And it's where they started out by serving the saltine crackers, salsa saltines or and she and I would sit there and just eat crackers with butter, and everybody knew we're there. It's like she and her family were famous. And I didn't know this until just now that you can buy their salsa and hb.
Speaker 2: Oh really yeah.
Speaker 1: So some place I almost went under what was a few years ago or maybe right before COVID.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that it was closing and lines were out the.
Speaker 2: Door or like got saved. Yeah saved.
Speaker 3: I remember someone talking about the back in the day. Maybe I don't they still do it, but they if you had a crying baby with you, the staff and take the baby and.
Speaker 4: Hold the baby, walk around with the baby so you can eat. Yeah, I'll give me that baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just hand them away so I could eat my Enchiladas. Please, talking more restaurants. But Continental Club has been around since fifty five, which is surprising to me. I wouldn't have guessed that. I wouldn't the early seventies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a lot longer than I thought. On Congress Avenue in the same spot this whole time, right, Yeah, I believe.
Speaker 2: So, I know.
Speaker 1: I know during COVID that era that the owner, Steve was he was on the news because you know, they were just killing everyone on property taxes. He's like, it's a historical landmark. I can't do any improvements. How was it worth more? Because it was going to run it out of business? That I mean, the taxes are a lot of the reasons that a lot of things got run out of business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh so they opened up what did you say, fifty five?
Speaker 2: Fifty five? If you're just if you're just joining us.
Speaker 3: We were talking about iconic Austin bars, restaurants and stuff that are still open. And when they opened. Let's go on to the nineteen sixties, right, the Carousel Lounge open. I'd ever been there sixty three.
Speaker 4: That's weird. I've heard of it my whole life, but I don't think that i've ever been there either, I don't think I have.
Speaker 3: No, I have been there. I've been there, and they're a beer and wine joint only.
Speaker 4: Circus themed bar.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was illegal to serve liquor by the drink when it was opened in nineteen sixty three.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, which you have to buike. I'll take a keg.
Speaker 4: I guess, I guess so.
Speaker 2: Some other ones. Guys, what do you see Broken.
Speaker 4: Spoke is on the list, of course, there's we almost lost that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fifteen years ago, we almost lost that. There was such a there was such a public outcry. They had to build, do all that development around it and keep it preserved.
Speaker 3: And then the people that lived around it are complaining about loud music.
Speaker 2: Shut up right.
Speaker 4: There since nineteen sixty four. Your condo building has been there for what like six years, and you're mad about the music coming out of the honky tonk that you moved into next door to come I know, and the roof.
Speaker 2: Has been collapsing in that place since nineteen sixty.
Speaker 4: Five, dragging lower and lower. I feel very tall, but I did not know really, probably based on the fact that I've only ever been in the Broken's book at night drinking beer into dance. Is that they have like really great chicken fried steak dinners. They start really good food. Apparently I had no idea and neither I didn't either.
Speaker 3: That's on again on sophomore Jabe, you've been a draft Horse pub, right, Yeah, that used to be well it's still around, thank goodness of rough Medical Parkway, just north of like thirty eighth or whatever.
Speaker 1: And that was like that's like heritage, heritage go to. Like you go in there and that beer is soaked into the tables.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it is. There's no cleaning those tables.
Speaker 1: It's just like it's it just it smells like your brewing beer in your grandma's basement. I like it kind of spills out into the parking lot too.
Speaker 3: Happy hours on the weekends, which is nice. We're gus move into the seventies now. Restaurant Top Notch Burgers, Yeah, open in nineteen seventy one on Burnett Road, still around.
Speaker 4: I haven't been there in so long.
Speaker 2: So long.
Speaker 4: They're charb They're like a grilled burger, right, I believe. So it's been a long time since I've been there. Days didn't confused film their Varsity Blues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, what else Dan's Hamburger.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, dance Hamburger's like and it's split to dance and Frams Dans of France because they got divorced. Those were late. That's like core memories for my childhood. There's no telling how many dance Hamburger's I've eaten in my lifetime. Really, yes, and they're exactly the same.
Speaker 2: Do they hit put thousand Island on them?
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Nineteen seventy seven, Esther's Follies are East Sixth Street opened up still there.
Speaker 2: Did not know that's been around that line. I didn't either.
Speaker 3: They say it was Texas's answer to Saturday Night Live.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 4: I'm in there a few times. It's pretty good.
Speaker 3: The people, the people that owned Liberty Lunch were the people behind Esther's Folly's.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: And finally, you guys want to know the place in Austin, iconic place that was bought for three hundred dollars on the outskirts of Austin, Okay in nineteen seventy eight. Guy but the name Bob Ogden bought Don's Depot. Oh my god, three hundred dollars on the outskirts of Austin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in nineteen seventy eight. It's on Fifth Street, I know.
Speaker 3: I guess that was the outskirts before probably Mopaq was built, right, Yeah, that's right next to it. Yeah, Buddy my tended bar there for a long time. His nickname, which I cannot say on the radio, is carved into the bar. It's pretty funny. So three hundred dollars Don's depot could be yours. That's crazy, is crazy.
Speaker 1: That's good these places are still around. I was going driving down Barton Springs last week, and you know, baby Akapolca's is gone. Yeah, the Shady Grove is gone. Green Mesquite just got saved by the employees. But like it just was kind of sad seeing Shady Grove all overgrown. It's yeah, oh yeah, it's like graffiti and overgrown and just sad.
Speaker 3: There's nothing there. Nothing's taken over, you know, it's it's abandoned again. It's probably priced out on Texas because it remember how the parking goes way back.
Speaker 2: Yeah find it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a big footprint and I'm sure someone's trying to develop in into something else.
Speaker 4: I'm sure to end up being condos. Something, you know, some tall building. Barton Springs has it lost its charm? The whole strip kind of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it used to be, you know, because a lot of people were going to and from the pool. Yeah, and it was like you were on like a little mini and it's like a little mini beach town. To go to Shady Grove or bake it baby ac pulcos hit the pool can take clothes.
Speaker 2: This I'll be I'll tell you the truth.
Speaker 3: If you put me in front of where Shady Grove used to be and said, Sandy, you need to walk without looking at your phone to Barton Springs Pool, I don't think I could.
Speaker 2: Really, I don't think I could.
Speaker 3: I know it's on the other side, but I don't know where, Like I couldn't walk to it. I don't know exactly how to get to Barton Springs Pool never had like.
Speaker 1: The pool entrance. Well, there's two depends on which side you want to go to. You can go to that ac Morton side or the you know, the front side in the right. Yeah, but like do you know where the playground is, the big playground and you.
Speaker 4: Know where they aclfs the big giant field. Yeah, it's literally across the street. You know where the Christmas tree is?
Speaker 2: Yes, right there. The gate to the pool is right like right far.
Speaker 4: From there, past the Christmas tree, and like down a little hill and it's right there. It's next to the park.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, all right, I guess you haven't been in a minute. Huh, I haven't. I haven't been in probably twenty years. It's funny. My daughter goes all the time with friends. I love it and just swims and just hangs out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Or sometimes they'll they'll be too cheap and they'll just go under the spillway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I know exactly what I do.
Speaker 2: Remember that, and how much is it to get in? Now? I have no idea? Do you good question? Do a quick search of that.
Speaker 4: Not it's not that expensive because we went a few years ago.
Speaker 3: They still have that group of people that swim there every morning. That's so much their work.
Speaker 4: They're super early. Oh I'm trying to find how much take it's our.
Speaker 2: Come on to you.
Speaker 1: Two to five dollars for residents, depending on your age, four to nine dollars for non residents. I love that residents can get in cheaper.
Speaker 2: I do too. That's cool. Well, let's go Trish, get your bikini. It's so cold.
Speaker 4: It's so cold, I can't. I gave it up a long time ago.
Speaker 3: You're a big wiener. I know that's what you are. Thanks for being with us, don't forget. Grabbed the podcast version of the show. Also ask your smart speaker to play us. Play one oh three to one, Austin's all you have to say.