Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast. Do it now? How you doing out there? It's me Tigger, I am Duc Wayne Duck. It's me Bunker's Deep Bobcat.
Speaker 2: All right, y'all?
Speaker 1: Did it ray your favorite firefly you desire? Hold old knock Gud. My name is Jim Cummings and welcome to tuned In. Hey, everybody, Jim Cummings here, welcoming you all back to a very special episode of Tuned In with Jim Cummings. Producer Chris are you there?
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm here.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: Everybody?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Brandon Dande talk to me.
Speaker 4: I'm here at a good time. Thank you for doing it at seven pm, but oh.
Speaker 2: My goodness, so thank you.
Speaker 1: Today we have no one, nothing, et cetera less than a bodacious one of my oldest pals in the business to be sure, and one of the most gifted guys that you've ever heard, ever heard. You've always heard him. Believe me, you have always heard him and loved his work, even if you didn't know what him. It was him. Do you ever go to Disneyland? You ever have a oh, I don't know, a television set? How about a radio? You know this man, Corey Burton.
Speaker 2: Lad, please keep your hands, arms feed and legs inside all the Tramas movie.
Speaker 1: Told you smoking except that, yeah, until you get on the ride.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for being here, brother, Thank you so so very much.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, are you kidding? I mean, uh, you know it's like, uh, you want to hang out with me? I mean mean, let's do let's do amen. I mean normally, you know, like like it's like an interview situition, me and my good buddy Josh Morales. Uh, Jent Moore. I love doing the interviews with him. But you know, I'm like being you know, informative and and and try to be especially entertaining. But you and I well, yeah, I mean we've gotta have history to pick peace in the pod where the where the sort of sort of skewed angle talent you know because we different backgrounds. But but we're we're the funny voices boys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true. And when we started, we were the young rookies and look to people like Paul Freeze and melt Blank and I mean all of those guys. And now we're we're the old farts and it and it beats the day and it beats the alternative.
Speaker 2: You are, I am not sure what you're doing there years on me. What is he doing?
Speaker 1: I'm really like here, Okay, I was thinking.
Speaker 2: And see this was exercises something.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I was thinking.
Speaker 2: Coy, I'm blissfully unaware of putting.
Speaker 1: The zipper down.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, but you know, I mean, uh, he was saying, you know, with anything you wanted to discuss in particular. Yes, we don't need those thinking directions or instructions. We just hang out.
Speaker 1: But I do have a question for you because you you you were in the business. You know, we're right next door to each other in age. I'm pretty sure. But yeah, I think you beat me. Beat me to the punch to the mic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seen seventy two profession.
Speaker 1: And I was doing he was six years old, by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, actually said I dished when I was seventeen. Yeah, my driver's permit or whatever, driving my mom's Galaxy five hundred or something. Maybe it was my dad's Plymouth Settle.
Speaker 1: And there was a microphone in this vehicle.
Speaker 2: I had realistic radio shack microphone.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but you did.
Speaker 2: But in high school, myself and and a talented uh very odd friend. Uh, we did commercials for the brand new John F. Kennedy High School PA system and we didn't realize what Yeah, and I produced.
Speaker 1: Them commercials for to be played over the PA system of a high school.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a that's a look. There's got to be money there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, there was. You were just.
Speaker 1: Rolling around in it back then.
Speaker 2: There wasn't money. But no, but there was well infamy in a way because we were the you know, we were nerd boys.
Speaker 1: That's hard to believe, but okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I was the geek and the spas and you know, couldn't play sports and didn't want to. But but you know, I did the funny voices and we would do you know, send up so you know, like buy a student activity card and we do like one like you know, the the audience wouldn't know, but the old jay Ward, the first j Ward cartoon series, Hoppity Hooper. Oh yeah, san Francisco Hoppity Hooper.
Speaker 1: Can you give me any of the theme songs? Because I remember the name it was.
Speaker 5: It was bizarre like uh, it was bizarre jazzy kind of stuff because it was done in San Francisco, Okay, and narrated by Marvin Miller.
Speaker 2: You ever knew Marvin, But that was before well, let's see with Paul Frees in San Francisco. I don't think, oh yeah he was. He was in not not not in the late fifties or whenever that was maybe, I don't know anyway, And but anyway, so I always did haunts Conry, you know, it was just yes because I was a fan of the jay Ward cartoons. He was finally Whiplash, and but.
Speaker 1: With can you give us something? Can you give us something? People would perhaps recognize.
Speaker 6: He was, uh, he was Waldo Wigglesworth, Uncle Waldo to the Frog Hoppity Hooper, and he would always have a ridiculous scheme.
Speaker 1: You know, hardly I could make a j all the oh my, he's the best I did I had.
Speaker 2: And then they had this sound effect. It was just all cut together sound effects and the sound effects, the spinning on myself, as usually know, it's not pretty sound effects. We're probably I'm sure it must have been from the very start. Skip Craig, who was the track reader, uh and dialogue editor for Jay Ward Productions for the whole run and Skip as like a teenager, was a fan and and played like trombone I think with Spike Jones. Oh wow, it's all the Spike Jones. And Jay Ward was sort of a little bit like William Gaines Mad Magazine. They were all these crazy yeah you know pre LSD. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but LSD yeah yeah, anyway, yeah, gabbling too much?
Speaker 4: Great, you know.
Speaker 2: And I met com Reid. He was in Don Hills workshop. I mean it was in doll Spotless workshop and Don hills daughter Annie Hills, was a student there. But Don Hills was the director of the Heartbeat Theater, the Salvation Army radio drama syndicated. Yeah, yeah yeah. And of course when DAWs about this workshop, I was a trained radio actor, but I was, you know, yeah, nineteen years old at the time or whatever.
Speaker 1: Can you tell everybody who does was and how everybody really came and it does knowing but doesn't know they know.
Speaker 2: DAWs Butler was the uh well, I mean the most famous character was Yogi Bear. He was Canna Barbara's Yeah, basically every leading character voice it was. It was it was Dos and his buddy who was a ventriloquist named Don Messick, and Don did all those crazy sound effect thing and DAWs Butler was you know, a radio actor of Audvillion, Quick Drama Gra right, yeah, Quick Drama gra and Baba Louis and that was that was all DAWs yeah, and Dixie of Pixie and Dixie. He was a snagglepus No no, no, no, sorry, not snagglepuss.
Speaker 7: Uh yeah wait, snackle post yes, exit it stays right all the way even, And that was yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: I think that was supposed to be like a like a bad impression of Phil Silvers.
Speaker 1: And there was Russian red rough and ready, No, I.
Speaker 2: Think rough and ready. Yeah, rough and Ready was just yeah, you know, I'm just a bunch of noises.
Speaker 1: Jay, how you doing?
Speaker 2: They are? Ray Eddie Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. I think they gave him dialogue later. It's just funny. It's kind of like Zipper the Fly and rescue rangers.
Speaker 3: Yes, started, I have a question for you, Corey. Yeah, sorry to cut you off like that, No, no problem. So what would you say, like broadcasting in radio, was your first like attraction to voice acting in a sense.
Speaker 2: Well, no, it was actually Disneyland, it was it was Paul Yeah, yeah, well, I mean.
Speaker 4: Half and it wasn't that what you love? A voice acting from.
Speaker 2: The Haunted Mansion. But it was for that because Paul Freese narrated the adventure through Monsanto's adventure through inner space men of Saw, constantly making similar journeys through the mighty microscope. Yeah, these tiny bits of snowflake crystal tower above me, like an enormous wall of ice. Do you penetrate this gigantic chrism or something? Well I can't yeh.
Speaker 1: But that's Americana, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, well Disneyland in the sixties, nineteen sixty eight, especially with something really special and that was But anyway, so I had heard that voice. I loved it. I heard it in cartoons of course, the j Ward cartoons and all that. But he to me was always amazing, especially I mean one of the few times I think I was I was moved to tears as a kid. We saw the re release on Saturday matinee at the American, the Theater of the Time George Powell's The Time Machine and Paul Freese was the voice of the talking rings. Oh and it was, you know, so sad. It was, you know, the the Devolution of humanity when the morlocks.
Speaker 1: Yes, I remember that. That was the coolest movie.
Speaker 2: It sure was.
Speaker 1: And Alan Young was in it, and I had a crush on what was her name, Karen who didn't Yeah, god, my little six year old chromosomes were sizzling.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And Rod Taylor him not so much, but yeah, he was so cool.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. And it just drove me crazy, that effect when they started shooting forward into the future and it was.
Speaker 2: Just stop motion.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: It was because George Powell was originally an animator, but he animated the puppet tunes, which were uh, you know, just like the California Raisins. They were they weren't clay, they were they were a little wooden figures, I think figure yeah yeah yeah. And he would have one facial pose yeah for every second for for yeah yeah yeah yeah. So and they would you know, click a frame of you know, and then uh, and then you know, and then then it would all be put strung together.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, actually they've they've been they've been cleaned up and and re released for a road show by and re lost. Yeah yeah, I know, by a guy named Arnie Leibovitz. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so that's great, but that's cool.
Speaker 2: But so now I've I've gone off on a tangent there, of course, but.
Speaker 1: Come back, Corey.
Speaker 4: Before was that the first time you and Jim were together?
Speaker 2: You know regularly we knew each other before then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you see the voice I.
Speaker 2: Can't remember first meeting. I can't remember. Maybe he was outside the Voicecaster.
Speaker 1: I don't remember.
Speaker 2: We were on the sidewalk.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Voicecaster was a legendary audition facility in Burbank, beautiful downtown not quite downtown Bank.
Speaker 2: And you were kind of new and down but doing very very well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was brand new, and you know you were the crystal veteran.
Speaker 2: Wildly talented.
Speaker 1: Well not anyway, it was a long.
Speaker 2: Long time ago, but but I thought, oh this guy's good.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you. And I've been scaling the heights of adequacy ever since.
Speaker 2: You were Yeah, you were just getting started and then yeah, and we both just bloomed in our own Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think the first big gig that that I could pick out that we ever did together was definitely Chippendale.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh definitely. And it's funny because we are the ven diagram of voice talent that doesn't touch because you have an entirely different range, different vocal range, different set of resonances.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: And and you came through you know, through music and a whole different entertainment angle, whereas I came from radio acting, yeah, yeah, from old radio drama. Yeah, and I worked at the.
Speaker 1: Old time, came from the rock and roll and a lot of ex theater exactly.
Speaker 4: And what what what difference is that does that bring? Coming? The difference between coming from radio and from music means I was louder.
Speaker 2: Well, funnier and more entertaining, fearless. Uh uh, just a just a greater ability to to entertain and to and to get laughs, a more fluid with that libbing me. It's like, okay, in the script, maybe I could if I pause here, maybe that will get a laugh, because we always do the table read. We mark our scripts.
Speaker 1: Now, did you were you big on preparing beforehand?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, that's what das tell your script and uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, and see I never did, I never ever ever did. They would send them and I and I remember telling our good buddy Dave over there, who is the head of Disney character voices? Back back then? It gets character voices now, but back then he was just a page or what have you.
Speaker 2: Well there was Perkins.
Speaker 1: Well no, anyway, but I just want to say, oh.
Speaker 2: You mean Disney TV animation David Sure, yeah, Dave right.
Speaker 1: He would come out to the house and he did. I remember him coming all the way out. I lived in Santa Rose Valley and he was on July fourth, fourth of July, and he brought a dark Wing script out to him and I said, buddy, I got to tell you something. Thank you, but it's the fourth of July. I am not going to read this. The first time I read this, I'll be standing in front of a microphone and I won't rehearse, and I won't.
Speaker 2: You know exactly and exact.
Speaker 1: Oh well, well they kind of told me I had to do this, and I go, I'll take it to the session and tell him. Boy that Dave Wright, he he is a hell of a guy. He came all the way out to rumbucking yeah, and uh to bring me a script that I wasn't even going to read till I got here, shall we? And they go, oh, okay, that's great, Tim, and they gave me the finger and then we did the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, we always used to do the table reads, but uh yeah, but then, you know, especially especially when digital recording came in, it was like, just do three takes of each line. Yeah, it's like, let's put on a show.
Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, So go ahead and join the tuned In family today at Patreon dot com, slash Jim Cummings pod cast.
Speaker 2: Do it now we can? We can spin off of each other. The timing. Well, I mean it's nice that at least, although we have to stop, we can't overlap, which bothers edit it. You can edit it if you overlap, come on.
Speaker 1: And I'm used to that.
Speaker 2: In fact, he said, oh yeah, I can. I can do uh you know, can I can do the track reading with overlaps. We did it all the time.
Speaker 4: Who is Craig?
Speaker 2: Who's Craig Skip Craig the jay Ward sound editor. Well he's done track reading for so many, so many cartoon series, but he started yet with jay Ward. That's funny.
Speaker 1: But wait, I'm just trying to figure out did we get the name of your very or did I miss it the very first cartoon you did?
Speaker 2: Let's see, well that my very first professional gig. Yes, was the voice of Hants Conry because I knew DAWs Butler and he knew that I could imitate.
Speaker 1: And wasn't he also Captain Hook?
Speaker 2: Hants Conry was Captain Hook of course, yes, yes, no, I haven't captained Hook. And we've uh and we've we've altered him a little bit depending on the situation. And and boy we oh my god, we had so much fun with Jake and the Neverland Pirates. Jeff Bennett, I used to have me do mister smeth. I thought you would be mister me. But uh, yeah, because Bill Thompson could.
Speaker 1: Have probably did it could be.
Speaker 2: Yes, Well, I cheat thing without without physically doing I.
Speaker 1: Have to cheat I'm not that good an actor. That's why I have to pull out my cheek.
Speaker 2: But I don't have that texture. But also too, it's it's just a tough character for me. My voice is a little bit limited, and.
Speaker 1: Well you know it doesn't work that much, so you're not missing anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 8: But but Kelly Ward, who directed Jake and the Neverland Pirates, they would they would have us as as Hook and Smee because he's preschoolers and younger audience.
Speaker 2: They didn't want Hook to be too real, bombastic and intimidating scary. But yes, right, he scary. It's like scary, it's it's ridiculous. Cons Conrie all colored, you know, chewing lacery. But anyway, so you know, finally, as we were saying, well why don't you do let's accent and less characters, then you're losing the character. And then I was listening to some old radio shows. Hans Conried was on the mel Blanc radio show, and I.
Speaker 1: Didn't know he had one.
Speaker 2: Yeah he did briefly, you know, with all the great character radio character actors and UH, and Hans Connery played Uh. I forgot what the character's name was. But anyway, and there was one scene in particular that that was the key. It's like, oh, that's how we make Captain Hook non threatening, ridiculous and allows him to chew every splinter of scenery. He was like, mel blank was like a soda jerk or something or whatever at a drug store, a rex Al drug store, you know, as they did incorporate the sponsor into the plot and all that the old radio and uh and then there was a line where and maybe joke hearns was the boss, I don't remember. And how did your you know, how did your wife like that new that new vanishing cream used to call cold cream or something. Yes, and skin things you put on at night?
Speaker 9: He said, oh, she's she loves what it does for her skin. But unfortunately there's a problem. Yes, you know, in the in the middle of the night, she keeps.
Speaker 6: Sliding out of bed.
Speaker 2: Because it's got a studio audience. So you had to go caught boom with the punchline and the way he just went so over the top, it was stratospheric, you know. And I was like, here's the Hans Conrie that we need for the kids version.
Speaker 1: That's why he was good at animation. Yes, that's I mean, isn't that Isn't that part of the key to certain an animated styles right as being way too much? Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, which is probably why I did okay with it, and you you know I was way over the top.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. What I learned, you know, from the old Vaudevillians who were the radio character actors as well, most of them sho from Vaudeville, at least the trick voiceman they need to call guys like us.
Speaker 1: Did you get to you say you learned from them?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Who were who was still around when you were? They were transitioning out and you were transitioning in. Uh Paul Freese? Yeah, well yeah, Paul Freeze, and it was a Pillsbury dough boy to my idol. Paul free me too, just retalkable, Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: Just such a such an incredible talent and on you unusual personality. I didn't ever work with Paul Freese, but on the in in the late seven these early eighties, they had a brief resurgence of old time radio, and so they had like old time radio producers, the old sound effects guys that did the live sound effects. Bud Tollisson was his name, and they would set up a table with the coconuts and the and the ground at the Disney Yeah, and Disney character yeah yeah, bottles of water and stuff. Yes, and you can pour a drink, you know, give me that.
Speaker 1: So you never worked with Paul Freeze, But who else was bad?
Speaker 2: But I met Paul that you may have worked at Paul Freeze early on at A he had captain crunch session.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And Bill Scott because because I knew I met June Foray through my uncle, my uncle Burton, And that's how I have my my stage Moniker. That's not my name. I tried working my my my own name, which I never liked. I don't. I don't like names anyway because I forget. I'm so weird and dyslexic with names and socially uh Ralph's yes, No.
Speaker 4: I had had that go with you with script memorizing scripts, then oh I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't memorize. I I I can commit certain things to memory after I don't know. I can't remember anything after it makes an impact. But that's why I would never never been a stage, camera, stage or on camera actor, because I can't remember lines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and at this point we're both so you know, used to reading it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we could read, you know, because that was, yeah, my training as a radio actor. And you know, in the old radio actors, you know, they would go they'd be shuttled from studio to studio to live radio guys. We Michael Rye O. His real name was Michael Ray. He was older than we even thought. And Michael, you know, Michael Rye. He was an amazing guy.
Speaker 1: I tell everybody who he was on the Gummy Bears.
Speaker 2: He was character Dookie and I was told after Bill Scott passed away.
Speaker 1: Yes see, yeah Toad what Yeah that was? I think that might that might have been one of the first times we worked together, when I sneaking in on some of the Gummy Bear sessions.
Speaker 2: And Michael Rye, Bless his soul, he must have been like eighty when we were working with him, and I think he lived like over one hundred. Ye did you know that he was fabulously wealthy. His name was actually Rye Billsbery Billsbury. That sounds yes, Well Billsbury didn't didn't sound good on U Bake Good products, so they made it Pillsbury. So he was part of the Pillsbury dynasty.
Speaker 1: And he didn't get to be the dough boy.
Speaker 2: No, he wouldn't have wanted to, but anyway, but he loved technical with his with his helmet wig. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, my.
Speaker 1: Real name is Smithsonian. But I don't like to tell anything, yes, so let's keep that between us.
Speaker 2: I don't think I'm related to anybody. Oh, No, I am related to somebody famous. I think my my mother's maiden name is Lang.
Speaker 1: Her father she's Lenna Lang from Superman.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I really related to.
Speaker 2: Clara Dee Lang anyway, who's still around and just as annoying as ever. My old mother. She's ninety one now, God bless her. He still giving me a headache.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 4: Which character on your mom?
Speaker 2: I've never based a character on her, but her great aunt, Sadie Sadie Mallinger Maleinger or whatever, was crazy as a bedbug, and she looked like it too. She had this crizzy wild girl in this wild expression always, and she was very loud, and she was the one who at a family gathering at some point there would be a lull in conversation. And she had a funny voice.
Speaker 1: She had the Dudley do right kind of voice, and she'd.
Speaker 2: Say is it hot and hair?
Speaker 3: Is it just me?
Speaker 2: She had been gap in her teeth. It's just she was just wacky. Uh, Aunt Sadie.
Speaker 1: Did you tell her get that lamp shade off your head and have a seat. Yeah, but there you got a lift.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. She was that type, you know. No, she would entertain us kids with inappropriate like limericks and stuff. You know. Ohe Gooey was a worm, a mighty worm, was he? He thought out on our railroad track that train he did not see, you know whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'm glad he wasn't from Nantucket, I know.
Speaker 2: Well she would say things like that. Actually actually on the father's side, Oh boy, well I had my aunt, my Aunt Goldie. Now my mom's mom was named Goldie or Goldie. But anyway, Aunt Aunt Goldie was from Bessarabia, my dad's side of the family, which is which is adjacent to Transylvania. Oh perfect, And Aunt Goldie had this thick accent and it was and and she sounded like a bad Bale Lagosi impression like this. But anyway, but but the thing about it is Aunt Goldie swore like a sailor. Oh she said, Oh my god, you're so beautiful. Oh your son of a bitch our ship.
Speaker 1: I can't believe it. Well, now we have our promo for the Yeah, that's great, but that's great. Hey, I have a question for you, because I've been known to do this. I had my uncle saym and my Aunt Grace got rest both their I've weaseled them into a few cartoons here and there just over the years. Now, have you done that with your family members? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well, well I have Aunt Sadie once, uh and something Aunt Sadie.
Speaker 1: That sounded like my aunt Grace. Yeah, what are the odds?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, well you know, I mean.
Speaker 10: Well, you know she was sin take the way she walked, you know, and so I I weaseled her into it.
Speaker 1: In fact, she was the basis for Lieutenant Spinellian and Chippendale's Rescue Rangers.
Speaker 11: Yeah you were there, Rob, Yeah, so I don't worry. I'm going to get everything dumb for you. That was partially my Aunt Grace. Yeah, yeah, bless her heart.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we know we we we take from you know, the male man families are teachers, yeah, shopkeepers, whatever, whoever. Had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And do you ever get an approach to do seminars, to do classes, to teach, to pass on your your knowledge.
Speaker 2: I did, well, you know, for years before social media, when I had a website, I had an interactive message board. And you know, DAWs always said, you know, you got to pay it back, you know, and so I couldn't. I couldn't sit up and be a formal.
Speaker 1: It back. If somebody gives me something, I'll pay it back.
Speaker 2: Well, you're doing it right now, really, because because this is this is really informing and inspiring. And so I had an interactive message board and I developed this snarky for both uh, written character as your instructor, your arrogant instructor with a crazy sense of humor and uh and I just you know, asked me anything about it is all things voice over.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, also you were able to parlay that that character, that voice you've just done. If I'm not mistaken, didn't you do how to cartoon video slash video with goofy how to ski?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah? Yeah, well well that that was that was.
Speaker 1: Or the ninja? Oh that I think that I think I'm thinking of the ninja. Oh, the ninja, I hear that.
Speaker 2: There's a whole bunch of them that's based.
Speaker 1: On instructional videos.
Speaker 2: They're based on the Disney Goofy shorts. Yes, that was at a time when Pinto Colvig was on the outs with Walt because well, because of Gulliver's Travels. Mm hmmm, because worked for h I mean, I mean Pindo Colvig was Gabby and several characters in Gulliver's Travels, and the Fleischer brothers who produced Who Made's Travels were Disney's arch enemy the competition. They were New York, New York Jews. And and by the way, I think that's where all of the bs about Walt being anti Semitic came from. No, he just didn't like the Fleischers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was just those two.
Speaker 2: And yet and yet later on he hired Richard Fleischer, the son I guess of.
Speaker 1: The Sherman brothers were in there somewhere too, if I'm not.
Speaker 2: Mistakens with Walt the whole time. Did you know did you know Dick Sherman very well? Yeah, me too. God I loved him and he rest in peace? What a beautiful.
Speaker 1: Man, did you hear? I don't know when this will air, Chances art will be over, but there is a tribute to him somebody. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I I shared a dressing room with him, I think for some some theme park award thing. I was the announcer in the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you got to meet him a few times, right, and yeah he was you know.
Speaker 2: You know, he was just a beautiful, wonderful sweet man. You know, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I never met Bob Robert Sherman, but he was in England most of the time. They didn't get along. Everybody knows that. Now. Anyway, I have to circle back and complete what I what I started before I went off on. This is a long tangent. My mother's maiden name is Lang. Her father was Joseph Lang, who who fled Austria Hungary in the late twenties. I guess because this Hitler guy is causing the brubble and he was Orthodox, which was whatever anyway, but his name was Joseph Lang. Well there's an actor, Stephen Lang, wonderful actor from He was the the the the villain in Avatar and uh he was in that recent series. He plays lots of a good, good guy. Yeah. When my mother's father had hair, I saw some old ancient pictures of him. See oh my god, there's a blood relation there because in Stephen Lang's parents, grandparents whatever, also escaped Austria, Austria, Hungary.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, thank goodness, otherwise he wouldn't have been to her.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah. But but anyway, so, uh, I I'm convinced. I'm absolutely convinced I must be related to him.
Speaker 4: Well you're at that, Stephen, Yeah yeah, now terrific.
Speaker 2: Anyway, call us.
Speaker 4: Say special guest right now, Stephen, yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, but are you related that? My detector says, yeah, yeah, yeah, I I I suspect.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, if you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, So go ahead and join the tuned In family today at Patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings podcast. Do it Now.
Speaker 4: Getting back to earlier, we're talking about Schipp and Dale. You were saying that you weren't big on improvising. Where Jim, that's all Jim does. He just loves the improvise, doesn't read the scripts. Jim does Jim right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, How did you go in studio? If you're very much I like to follow the script and Jim is going way off the script. How do you handle those situations? Do you try and keep up with Jim? Or do you what do you do?
Speaker 1: Just smack me around?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, yeah, normal? Do it right? So? I mean again with the As a radio actor, you know so many well, acting is reacting exactly exactly. You know, you just go with it. And you know, of course in live radio or uninterrupted recorded cast radio comedy and drama, if somebody flubs or says something different or pauses in a strange place, you go with it. You know, Oh, I didn't notice that spoked on your colleague? Yeah you mean that spoked? You know, you say, aha, that'll get a laugh because I'm repeating it. And then I've learned also, you know, over the years, I've gotten much better and much freer, especially when doing the haunts. Conry is something I'm very fluent in. And and you know Jeff Bennett uh me, you know, Jeff just can't contain himself. I know, he's constantly ad Libby and and and so you know for comedy stick I like to like, you know, I'll I'll repeat something, you know, you know.
Speaker 12: Whatever, everybody has to go away, Yes, go away, well, you know, just to tie it together and you sort of underline the laugh that may not have been there.
Speaker 2: When when when mister Smed delivered it. But because it's it's repeated or mocked, it may strike people funny. And you know timing, you know time mean, yeah, timing.
Speaker 4: How did you guys go with recording Chip and Dale? Because I'm envisioning you guys were in the studio together, But Jim, wasn't it because we had Tress on last week as well? Wasn't it a case of for Chippendale's voices you had to talk really slow so they could state it up right? So, Jim, were you ever recording in the studio with Corey and Tests when they were doing Chippendale? Because that would have been hard.
Speaker 2: We would do it. We would do it temp straight, straightforward, and then usually most of the cast would go on, would go home. We'd go back through all of our lines very slowly. Now, the funny thing is the original Chip and Dale were not legible.
Speaker 1: There were actual chipmunks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they chattered little. It was basically a bunch of nonsense and non sequiturs. Occasionally you could understand a word or two. And they were done by a local Burbank actress for Ink and Paint Girl, and they were sped up like like like double speed or more. So it was really fast now for TV animation, especially in those days, it had to be like radio with pictures. With the accused Rocky and Bullwinkle of being you know, limited animation, so you know, you can only they animate on the on the threes or the fives as they say, you know, they only change change the pose the the image once every four or five frames or three three to five frames, you know, so they don't have to have so many drawings. It's much cheaper and faster. And so that's why they had Rocky Bowenkill had a narrator and very heavy in dialogue, and you had to get so much of the of the plot, the comedy, the so much of the show was really radio, you know. And so we had to turn Chip and Dale into well yeah yeah, yeah, and we worked on it. Spent we spent hours, uh with the tape machines at B and B, myself, Maygon, uh Les Perkins, probably Tad Stones and uh An Art Vitello, I think, and we worked figured out so, I mean, I would say, and it's not not anything egomaniacal about it, and I don't ever expect to be paid anything special. But but I kind of formulated it, I mean, with the help of everyone, because I thought, well, okay, so we can't so they're both women, so we want to separate the characters. That's why it's me and Tress. And I thought, well, well.
Speaker 1: You guys had to stay after school and record.
Speaker 2: But these characters, what are they? You know, they're like the Little Rascals, but they're like the little rascals. And Dale Dress is kind of like Spanky and he's kind of a clown a little bit like Alfalfa too, so so I based Dale's speaking voice, which is sped up on Alfalfa Switzer.
Speaker 1: Can you give us some Dale without being sped.
Speaker 13: Up somely original? Dale was based on Alfalfa Switzer, who I think came from Tulsa, Oklahoma or something somewhere like that. That and it's the dead you know, the the not the dead Endkins, but the little rascals, and they did all those nineteen thirties nineteen forties kid like things. How about that instead of how about that?
Speaker 2: How do you like that? How do you like that?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: What do you know?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is that arc to sure that throws you right? Physical thirty early forties? Is there a term?
Speaker 3: Is there a technical term for that? Because I know, like you've done a lot of voices that's like kind of in the Transatlantic accent.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, I mean, you know, Transatlantic is so typical for her.
Speaker 3: So I'm curious if there's another term.
Speaker 1: For captain hook is one?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, the type of style you're talking about, once asked, and usually he didn't give a straight answer. Was once asked about his his accent, which he normally spoke with. And in fact, when I met Hans Conried sitting in on a Heartbeat theater and eventually I ended up working with him to Heartbeat Theaters and an Alien Worlds radio show because Hans was a very fine radio actor and loved it. And and so when I was first introduced to Hans Conrich was a surprise to me because I was this Don Hills was the director.
Speaker 4: He says, Oh, I want you to meet somebody.
Speaker 2: This is Hans Conry's and I was so intimidated. Hey, Hans, this kid, he does your voice? Eron, I do it for him? Oh God? Well yeah, okay, And so I all I could think of was a line from the Fractured Flickers series, which I loved. Nobody knows what that is now. But if you ever see some fractured flickers, I mean, if if you find them anywhere there is the silent film actors estates won't let them run anywhere, but anyway, uh, you might, you might find them illegally posted somewhere. But anyway, Hans Conried was the host. He was really snarky and defeat posting fractured flickers and uh and and the show opens we're kind of like, uh, I don't know, snarky. They were like Letterman show.
Speaker 1: And yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: It's a traditional kind of cold open comedy. Ron and Martin's laughing, of course, which was Gary Owens doing the cold opens. But anyway, so there was one I could I remember this. The following program is brought to you by the makers of Mistake. And then they had this crazy theme come in and and and and of course the footage was upside down when he first when he said.
Speaker 1: That, and was wasn't he also wasn't he on the Danny Thomas Show. Wasn't he Uncle Tanoose?
Speaker 2: That's correct? Yeah, yes, he was a wholes and those he's so many, so many.
Speaker 1: Great little character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all kinds of characters, all kinds of dialects and stuff. But but yeah, he was interviewed. Uh but oh yeah, no. But when I met him and I said, when welcome to another scintillating yepisold of fraction flickers. I'm your whole comrade, and welcome, you know, he says, oh, that's very interesting, young man. But I don't speak with an accent.
Speaker 1: To me, but I don't speak and submit.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah, and and and later on he was really nice to me.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good.
Speaker 2: Uh and uh he said.
Speaker 1: They say meet your heroes.
Speaker 2: But well when before he left, and uh, I shook his hand and said, you know what an honor it was to meet him, And he put his arm on his hand on my shoulder and he said, he.
Speaker 9: Said, well that's very it's all very flattering, you know, but why don't you find someone more worthy to idolize?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, Yes, that was odd. That's a character.
Speaker 1: Not a lot of that going around today.
Speaker 2: But there was a later interview that my buddy Keith Scott recorded. Yeah and uh and the interviewer with some film buff voice buff whatever, they said, what do you what do you call the the type of your your your style of speech? You you you you speak with a sort of dialect accent. You call that accent? I call it affected. Yes, Because Hans grew up in New York City and spent summers in Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: Jonathan Jonathan Harris are our mutual friend. He had a story and it was at Stella Adler I think that he was shopping with her at Macy's in New York City and a lady recognized her and uh and and not him. But so she went up and said, oh my god, almost that. I'm just so it's amazing to meet you. And you know, you know, I'm from England too, And I said, and I was always curious, where are you from in England? Back in the mother country? Oh, my, darling, darling, I'm not from England.
Speaker 4: I'm simply affected.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and oh never mind, John, you know it's from Oklahoma. Okay, yeah, well, okay, Lady Yanks affect.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you know theatrical well, Hans was, he was he idolized John Barrymore and he said and snidely whiplash and you know, and then Captain Hockey, Oh, I'm just doing Barry moa moah, you know John. And if you know, if you've ever seen sin Golly, it is indeed like Hans comery. It's the same hot theatrical thing from the nineteen thirties, the way that yeah, the way.
Speaker 1: It's also a little bit of the Wizard of Ours. Who was that great.
Speaker 2: Guy, Frank Morgan?
Speaker 1: Frank who was he was in there too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, Frank Morgan died before before The Wizard of Oz was released.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he had no idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what an iconic.
Speaker 2: Everyone loved him. He was quite the alcoholic. That's why he didn't live that long. He was always at his little you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he sold it on that.
Speaker 2: I'm a very good man, very bad.
Speaker 1: So did I ask you? Was there any ever a time that you were intimidated by somebody you didn't? You know, you walked into a studio and said, oh my god, I can't believe I'm here with well other than me obviously, God.
Speaker 2: Actually, I mean, I mean I'm very shy, but you know, I mean I didn't know it until my forties. Is like, oh, that that's what it is. I'm Asberger's. I'm an autistic spectrum.
Speaker 1: That's a superpower.
Speaker 2: Though. So it's sure as hell is because it's.
Speaker 3: Wait, so I want to interject and ask what what was it like going through life undiagnosed? Like was that stressful? Did that cause anxiety?
Speaker 2: You know my dear old dad who on his last legs but still completely coherent, but he's going to be ninety six this month. But anyway, yeah, yeah, when I was a little kid, and you know, I was always very odd and shy.
Speaker 1: Hard to believe, but okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: And very quiet, always very quiet. Well you got over that only amongst you know, you're nutballs. There you go, and we're all a little bit on the spectrum. Oh you bet, all of us, especially for oh definitely, I mean, because I always thought, you know, you know, what did I want when I was eight years old? You know, you know, what do you want for your birthday? Tape recorder?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, yeah, I was kind of like that. You know what I used to draw. I used to draw because I always like the doodle. I always like to draw. I would draw microphones, really cool old microphones, and I would draw them and then cut them out and put them on the like the back of the thing, and I would sit and I would talking to them all by myself, you know, just in my own little coming to a theater near you, yeah, you know, and my little sister would walk in and go, are you talking to your paper microphone again? And I go, yeah, actually I am.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, pretty much. Yeah. No. I had never had any talent for drawing things.
Speaker 1: But well I could draw your microphone.
Speaker 2: I wanted to record things and and make little shows, and I did, me and my brother and my cousins, and you know, I was the ring leader, and we would we would just invent these these little dramas having to do with the family, friend and celebrities. Yeah, yeah, well I still have recordings of some of them in fact. And then it was we did we did our own little send up of the Ed Sullivan Show. And my brother, who's who's still he's the funny one in the family. He was, Oh, you're so funny, So you haven't met less my older brother. He's still hilarious. It's funny because he's real estate survey accounting whatever kind of profession.
Speaker 1: Well, those guys are maniacs, but.
Speaker 2: He is so funny. Yeah, but anyway, he says, So it's the aed Smell Your Butt show.
Speaker 1: You know, we were I was, Oh god, I used to love that show, you know.
Speaker 2: And and and cousin Barbie was was Barbie Barfo and she was like a bad comedian telling bad jokes. And then my brother's so funny, he says, And now here's the mucus ball monkeys. But anyway, and then he said stand back, and then he introduced me as whatever. You know. It was just just totally impromptu, and I invented a character. Was later on I figured out it was based on Bella no aug you know, but but but similar No, the comedians singer big fat you know, but very uh cats skills, uh you know Bard Yeah she was. She actually she did a lot of the really filthy blue you know songs. Yeah, the Jewish Mom's maybe very very similar. Yeah, yeah, bell Bella, bar Bella somebody people know. I can't remember. But anyway, so and uh and its just a name popped into my head and so I did this this this winding bag comedian singer and uh. And to this day, my brother still refers to it, my cousin still refers to it, because it just I don't know how it came to me. I said, hello everybody, I'm Murner Telts, I'm a senor, I'm a comedian, I'm bouth.
Speaker 1: Oh god, and then I'm multi talented.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't remember what I did. It was silly after that, but that was that you broke into a dance that got the laugh and we did yeah anyway, but.
Speaker 1: Did we I'm sorry forgive me if if you say, but what was your absolute very first animated show that you did? Not that you liked her?
Speaker 2: Oh you.
Speaker 1: Because people love stuff like or maybe just.
Speaker 2: Me think it's yeah, No, I think it's it's on IMDb.
Speaker 1: I did like My Little Pony or something onto something.
Speaker 2: Dance heart right.
Speaker 4: Was chipping down the first starring role.
Speaker 2: In I don't yes, I think I think first lead. Yeah, yeah, but I mean that was the eighties and there was the Transformers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Transgressors were before and after. Yeah, it depends on which one.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, well it was Transformers. I was Spike. They changed now the name to Sam you know, the kid, And it's just me doing Mark Hamill. Wow, because I met Mark Hamill doing a d R on Empire Strikes Back, and we've been casual. He was in that Buddies ever since. Yeah. Yeah, in fact, that explains a lot. In fact, during the period when Mark was not Luke Skywalker in Front of the World anyway, he was more the joker and voice guy and comic guy and Jean. But anyway, I was running to Mark and he's just he's such a buddy.
Speaker 4: We had to hear you, Mark, we had to hear he's such a well.
Speaker 2: Mark, you know. So you know, when I saw Star Wars, I was so inspired by it and uh and then then then I'll be damned. There's there's Mark Hamill, you know, sitting on the couch at Goldwyn Uh.
Speaker 14: I don't know what it's called now, doesn't matter any the A d R stage there and IRV Kirshner, the director anyway, so we were just doing background a d R bits.
Speaker 2: And and Mark, you know, he's Mark. He's excited about everything.
Speaker 1: So nice to meet you, you know, And I thought, yeah, it was the same way with me.
Speaker 2: I was there with he. I just love Mark. I love him. He's such a pal. That's the other hey pal, But.
Speaker 1: No, you're thinking of Eddie Deson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I don't know Eddie very well.
Speaker 1: But oh but that's the first thing he always said. Anyway, if you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast.
Speaker 2: Do it now.
Speaker 4: This is the one thing that you both have in common. I'm not quite sure that you both are aware of it, right. We both have been specifically requested by the George Lucas for a voice roll.
Speaker 2: Oh oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Well it's funny because George, through Dave Felony, he knows everything, you know. Yeah, George talks to me every day. You know, he's busting my balls. But let's stay George. Georgia signed a couple of characters to me. I had been doing Christopher Lee Count Dooku before then. But then they they had this weird alien gun slinger, you know, the bounty hunter and uh and they cad Bane cad Bane and they did they did a whole test real uh screen test, animatic thing whatever, and they hired a beautiful, fabulous actor, Lence Hendrickson. You know Lence Hendrickson.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And it was just a gorgeous Western evil bounty hunter gun slinger, you know. And and and and Dave told me the stories. I said, so, we're screening this, you know, with George and he said, I.
Speaker 1: Like the voice, but it's not weird enough. It's not weird enough, you know.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if he can get anew my name. He said, could you think he could? He could do like that something between that and Peter Laurie And David said that to me, and I said, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, that's what you say when you're a voice over gun.
Speaker 2: Can you do this?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Well I just thought, oh, I love that idea. So so cad Bane became became a very sinister Peter Laurie. But in the Old West, say little Lady and some many fine brass you we're in there, you know. So he's sort of half Western gunslinger Peter Laurie Nostril, you know, half Eastern European wherever Peter Laurie was from.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was sort of a traveling, brilliant actor. Yeah, and of course left Europe because he was Jewish too, so he ski daddled out out of Germany.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as well.
Speaker 2: And then Nick of Time Yeah, in the thirties.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But of course, Jimmy, you were specifically requested for Hyundai, weren't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know you probably. I bet I'll bet you had done the character. I'll bet it came out of you because we did the Pirate voices.
Speaker 1: Maya, I don't know. I can remember at home. Oh well, thanks, thanks. He's one of my favorite guys. You know the thing, I have a little mini philosophy. I've said it before. I don't want to bore anybody, but but if you do a bad impression of someone, it's a new character. And if you put two character two character voices together and nobody can tell who the hell you're doing that, and that's a that's a new character. And if you do a perfect impression of somebody, that nobody knows that's a new character. Like I said before, my aunt Grace got rest of so Uncle Sam. They've been in cartoons. Yeah yeah, and I've I've called up my cousins and say, Okay, your mom's going to be on Chippendale Risky Rangers coming up, so you might well, what are you talking about? Her name is Lieutenant Spinelli. Yeah yeah, and of course it was a guy. But you know, so it's just it's just fun stuff. Oh but putting together and coming up with character voices one thing.
Speaker 2: Speaking of impressions and stuff, I just so cherish. Just it delights me, no end to hear you do. Well, there's a couple of them, but the one that makes me laugh the hardest, Andy Divine. Nobody else can do Andy Divine. And you know, I just I just saw the old Archimedes Frisbee. You know, the old Twilight Zone.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well yeah Andy Devine. He plays her muddle foot on Dark Dark Dark Wing guy, w are you.
Speaker 3: Dres What are you doing?
Speaker 1: We're going to have a bar and and I love it. Oh the tumble and tumble weeds. Yeah, I always like doing those impressions that nobody else I mean everybody does John Wayne, but yeah, you know, I'd rather do Pat Buttram.
Speaker 2: But yeah, exactly exactly, and and and nobody else that I know of can can do burl Ives. Oh that's right, burl Ives singing whatever, even due.
Speaker 9: Love.
Speaker 2: And I always kind of hated his voice, but at the time I was so intrigued by it that I.
Speaker 1: Had that fifties halfway to beat Nick, halfway to Folky.
Speaker 2: Sure is a syrupy sweet mendacity, yeah, men, but but with a real, a real sense of darkness and malice behind that honey sweet voice. But anyway, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Feel like we're getting a real insight into being in the studio and the early nineties of Jim just doing wacky voices and the whole cost just we.
Speaker 2: All we always our favorite voices. Oh yeah, and entertain the hell out of each other.
Speaker 1: I'm glad. No, I'm understood. The deba dare recorded way too many tourettes of mine, of Mike Tyson Ohn chronicles.
Speaker 4: Yes, you've only done the Tossing chronicles once on the show. Jim, I feel like it's time to bust it again.
Speaker 1: Well I don't, I don't think. Well, yeah, I'm trying to think of one that I can tell.
Speaker 2: But basically, you know, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 15: I had, I had an opportunity presented unto me in a sense. So I presented myself to this party and they had holes left, right and center. And so I'm like, you know, I see this one, and you know, I'm like in love you know me, And I'm sure the champ, you know what I'm saying. And I pick her up, and now we're heading over to the closet, yo, and I have over my shoulder and she was gonna be the Tipperary minute of Tyson.
Speaker 2: You feel me?
Speaker 15: And she talking about no no jamp, no, no god Jese it put me down, you know, teasing, you know what I'm saying. And Yo, my ship was harder than Chinese mask.
Speaker 2: Yo.
Speaker 1: Anyway, okay, so that's all. Oh my, and I apparently I'm going to miss this coming fight. Uh that's coming up, Mike Tyson fight against Godzilla. I think I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 2: I could be sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's true. Yeah, Fortunately this will air afterward. Don't tell me who won, Boy from the Future. What is anything going on right now? Anything going on? We should know about anything?
Speaker 2: For me?
Speaker 1: Do you go into conventions or anything.
Speaker 2: Well, I it's funny because I just had to sadly turned down another request for convention. I just can't do it anymore. I especially traveling well and this damn long COVID. It's wow, still hanging on. Every couple of days, it's like, oh no, like now I got a little bit of a stuff. He knows the bad cough is gone for the moment. Then I'm hit with a way of a fatigue and then you get skin ship. No, it's every organ system in your body just you know, all of.
Speaker 1: A sudden, I'm always.
Speaker 2: Hell. Is that? Oh, no, long covid just weird symptoms.
Speaker 1: Oh that's weird.
Speaker 2: It's autoimmunity system stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We have a game we play on this podcast, and it's called the voice Swap Game. I'm going to explain how it works if you want to play.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, you see, he does. We'll see about that.
Speaker 16: Is how.
Speaker 3: Jim will give you a line from one of his characters, say Winnie the Poo's saying you stay as sweet as honey. I'm not even gonna try the voice. Sure maybe maybe one day. Then you will take that same line and use one of your character voices to say the same line, and then we'll swap vice versa. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Oh? Sure, sure, sure, yeah, that's that's like. That's like ask about the workshop. I have a different character, say say this line.
Speaker 1: Okay, so here's a little bit of tigger.
Speaker 15: Oh, tiggers do not like honey yet, icky sticky gooey stuff.
Speaker 16: Christopher count cool, hmmm, tiggers do not like honey, that icky sticky gooey stuff.
Speaker 2: I dare say, you have a problem.
Speaker 4: I felt we should get Kad Baine and Hondo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I wouldn't do that if I were you, little lady. There's danger.
Speaker 1: I would not do that if I were you, little lady, there is danger ahead. Bye, do you know what? Go ahead, do it anyway, we'll.
Speaker 2: Nice hat. That's a real cadane.
Speaker 4: The best part about these voice swaps is that hearing I reckon you a grade too, christ is hearing each voice actor take the line, but do it as the character they put you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, well and well, I mean you know as well as I. When when you've got a character that is a part of you, it's in you. You've done it for years, it's just they live in you, and and so you're delivering any lines in character, you don't even know what you're gonna do or what you're gonna say. The just let the character do it. The character just comes out of you, right, you know, thinking.
Speaker 1: That's true, Planet, I always stay instincts are the best.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Think I was going to request a voice from you. It's not necessarily a character voice, but when I was doing my research on you and I heard the voice, it like just instantly rocket me to childhood. It was the tram operator from Disneyland.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: When you first get on, I have Oh.
Speaker 2: It's my nine hundred. Here, that'll be a little bit better, Mike. Oh, though it should be on the giffel. Oh yeah, that'll be the nine hundred.
Speaker 1: He's gonna get the nine. He's busting out his welcome. That's a giffel. Yeah, here we go. I feel like I'm a Disney just that word welcome.
Speaker 2: Yes, I feel like I'm Yes. Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside while the tram is moving, and no smoking please. You're about to embark on a journey, on a whatever a mile journey, you know, to the Magic Kingdom of Disneyland and Disney's California Adventures Park. Please watch your step as you're board, and take your and take small children by the hand.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Wasn't it something about no sitting on laps or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there'll be no lap sitting. I have one to do tomorrow for for Florida.
Speaker 1: No lap how about lap dancing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Really? And you know there are these things. They're written by by lawyers, yes, and.
Speaker 1: Brought to life by Corey.
Speaker 2: Tell you I am and I do this with old pal brian Nevsky imagineering a great guy anyway. And I don't know how I'm going to make it sound like English.
Speaker 1: They have.
Speaker 2: It's the most convoluted legally kinds of things about please please do this, and do not You will be subject to a security checkpoint, you know, and.
Speaker 1: We're watching you.
Speaker 2: If you if an object, if an object, no, it used to be if an object should fall, if an object falls during your whatever, it's like, please wait until the end. And I don't know, but until we out, push in on the push up on the handle, and push out on the door.
Speaker 1: Leaning over, giving special care to kiss your ass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I say, it doesn't make any sense. But you know, you just got to put that big smile, big warm smile on and and and believe convince myself that this makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but it doesn't.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make sense, and people tune it out anyway.
Speaker 1: Whenever you do that, we're all sitting back there on the tram at Disneyland. We're all I mean, I could see Christopher, He's sitting and going, oh.
Speaker 3: Man, I'm losing it because I've been to Disneyland so many times in my life, so so, so so many times, like since I was like five years old, and it's always been your voice, if I'm not mistaken, And that's literally like, well will your introduction and your outroduction to your day.
Speaker 2: In the park probably has since that's literally.
Speaker 3: Like your voice is like the bookmark of your day in the park. And I think that's why. Honestly, that voice hit me harder than any voice on this show, just because it's literally like the subliminally the first and last voice you hear when you go to Disneyland.
Speaker 2: Well that's and I.
Speaker 3: Didn't even think about it until I was doing the research that like, oh yeah, of course they have to hire a voice actor to do that voice. It's just like something you don't even think about.
Speaker 2: Really announcing, which is a whole different kind of character. Voice is not it's because it's not really acting. Yeah. True, there's announcing and then there's a narration, which is sort of halfway between acting and announcing because it's a structured type of of acting performance. But but announcing is musical. It's a song Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Welcome to Disneyland us A. But you know, and I grew up idolizing them. Well, I mean, what really made me want to be? Yes, that's beautiful.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: I love you know, I love don't let us do them get so pissed off. I was so so annoyed at the sound designer on well, I won't say the particular film that people can figure it out where I had to do the a wind god and they gave me a hand mic and so I blew into the microphone and delivery line and I heard the play back and that's pretty damn cool. Yeah, damn cool, And that's of course. And then he said, not just.
Speaker 1: Just just justne project by any chance?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said, you know, said, why did you just do it straight? And then of course they did something digital to it and it just sounded boring.
Speaker 1: Well there you go.
Speaker 2: But you know, and I'm always doing that too. It's like like like yeah, you know, you know, he falls, he falls down a well and it's like, oh, hold on, okay, I'm down the well. Now that's funny. Yeah, that's funny, or or or you know, uh, you're you're attacked by an alien sentient mushroom that's stuck to your face. Again, then you do this, Okay, now could you just do it straight? And we'll do and you know, and then they so they equ it and they yeah, that's a digital filter and it's lame. It's lame. Now it's funny, it doesn't have character to it. You gotta do it acoustic. Do you remember on Rescue Rangers when we had the great Jimmy McDonald, Oh.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I was just trying to I was trying to get in there and tell him about that guy. Yeah, and what kind of did he was doing. He had one end for the wolf and one end for the bear.
Speaker 2: That was his hurricane Hurricane lamp. Yeah, so he was doing the bear, Humphrey the bear and he yeah, and he pulled out this old you know, chimney from from a from.
Speaker 1: A like a real you know l yeah with flame in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, and so and it was just the glass part and so it's you know that sexy shape whatever, you know what they look like Coca cola trust what they call it. Yeah yeah, but but you know it's that curvacious thing anyway, yeah yeah, yeah, but it's not exactly. It was.
Speaker 1: A land like in every Prospector movie cover Prospected movie you've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Right, it's but it's sort of a bulb at the bottom. So it gives it unique well bear muzzle properties because of the shape of it, the acoustics of it, and so he would just go, you know, in one end of it, it sounds like a bear and even just and uh and then the other end becomes a wolf because I guess right, because it mimics the shape of the muzzle. And I just love that stuff because it's acoustics. And but it's organic and you know, I mean, yes, wizardry with with digital effects, I respect that, but when you when you're just doing something organic, and especially if it's for comedy, just pick up something that sounds funny and does the job.
Speaker 4: You know, do you think modern day voice actors are afraid to be that creative because you know, they don't let you.
Speaker 2: They don't let you. It could be that case because the sound editors, now you do you do the voices, We'll do the sound effects, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, well we don't know.
Speaker 2: And yet some of the characters we do are sound effects, like like I did Zipper the Fly, Yeah, how do you do fly?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: He's just buzzes and how can I buzz funny? And it's got to be kind of screechy. And then because I've got that, I've got that that resonance call upon and so I just and then I decided to give it a bunch of spittle and you know, all these farty things, and then it's sped up with the Chip and Dale voice and it came out very funny. And then and then in the last season to have legible dialogue, and I was not happy.
Speaker 1: I hate legible dialogue, you know, when it's just this kind of well, I have good news, that wasn't It's like like Tasmanian devil, I know, so I had.
Speaker 2: Had to say in that horrible texture. Then sped up.
Speaker 1: I love the simpsence.
Speaker 2: That was harge right, yeah, really kidding, And I just thought it was lame. I just I just yeah, like Tasmanian Devil. Do they make you say words as TAZ very few?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the test doesn't talk about no, because the words, it's the dialogue exactly. It's got to have all of that gotten glutton, all that roaring and spittle and yeah and plosives and it's funny and stuff like that, and the audience. Here's a secret of voice acting that DAWs Butler taught us as radio actors. He said, you know, and directors hate it. But he said, you know, good acting, good dialogue, well written dialogue. You don't have to you don't have to sound out every word. You know it's there, and when the audience fills it in in their imagination, sure it's more powerful. And he would say, he would say, like, like, you know, in a very tender romantic scene, you don't say I love you, you know, if you're really.
Speaker 1: Really you do. If you're in special classes, yeah no, if.
Speaker 2: You're really in a state of head over heels infatuation, you know, I love view. Okay, the audience here's the word love. You don't have to say it. If you do that in an average animation session, say oh, you didn't say the word love. Your voice cracked or something I couldn't hear it.
Speaker 1: Was there.
Speaker 2: That pisces me off. It's like the audience will they know it's there, they'll hear it and it'll be much more powerful.
Speaker 1: But whatever, sure, whatever, is there anything that's tickling your fancy right now that you're working on that I just did.
Speaker 17: It was originally written as as a screenplay, I guess, a horror comedy screenplay, and the writer producer decided to turn it into.
Speaker 2: An audio book and so it's like a radio play. It's not produced yet all the way, but I think, but I know, we've recorded all the dialogue for it.
Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at Patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings podcast.
Speaker 2: Do it Now So he's just doing this independently, and because you know, you try to do something like this an audiobook production, and the creators never make any money, you know. So he wanted to do a deal where people, especially with a social media profile which I don't have, would co own it so they would make profits from sales and they promoted on their now Facebook, Instagram whatever. Yeah, and that's great, but I don't have that, I said, I don't care. I don't care what it pays. I just I saw the script and the narration. It's like, oh my god, it's comed horror. And so it's a it's a full length radio play. And I don't know if you've ever heard the old radio series The Whistler. The Whistler was narrated most of the episodes and went on for like ten years or more maybe by an actor named Bill Foreman. And and it was it was kind of like it was kind of like The Shadow, but but the Whistler was strictly but it whistled. But he was very engaging and snarky. Know that the theme from The Whistler, it's the most haunting theme and it's whistled. Let's say, let's see I can't whistle.
Speaker 17: But.
Speaker 1: Stop it. It's too haunting. Oh great, now I'm gonna be haunted all night.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you could hear the notes in that. Yeah, you know you know that theme. You've heard it before, I'm sure. Yeah. The Whistler, well it's on YouTube. You can hear Old Whistler shows. They're really good. But anyway, with the but I liked the picture of his mind. But I saw yeah, but I saw this thing, and I saw this narration. It's like, it's not exactly the same, but that should be the voice of Bill Foreman. So I did my version of of Bill Foreman. You know, I am the Whistler, and I know many things where I walk by night. I know many strange tales from men and women who have slipped into the shadows. Yes, I know the nameless terrors of which they dare not speak. And then Marvin Miller would going on tonight, that's.
Speaker 1: Pretty good night episode, you know, Yeah, I love that old stuff.
Speaker 2: But it was so good, And then and then he would say say, you didn't mean to kill your wife, did you, Bill? But you did? Yes? Yes, Now what'll you do?
Speaker 1: Run?
Speaker 2: Run? That's what? But no, they'll catch you, won't they So you stop into the bar down the street and and whatever, you know, it goes on and not sure whatever, he just memors the tale of these people who who did wrong and and the are trying to weasel out of the consequences. Mostly there you go or whatever.
Speaker 1: Like me, they're goody, thank you so much for this.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, oh my god. Can we do this every day?
Speaker 4: So cool?
Speaker 1: Well, sure, okay, so I'll see you tomorrow. No, yeah, I yeah, good stuffs. Now have we touched on anything? You're not You're gonna You're not gonna necessarily go to a can that we can see you.
Speaker 2: No, No, I mean that's virtually. But I mean it's funny the last time. I mean, I do, I do occasional D twenty three s, but I just I can't. And I'm sorry for for fans because I sincerely appreciate you know, the uh there, the fans appreciation of what we do. But but it's bless it's it's so stressful for me because you know, I can only talk to one or two people at the same time and give them my full attention. Sure, and I know you know it means the characters mean so much to people. I hate signing autographs. I would rather talk to people. But anyway, And and my heart breaks for the people that are left behind in line. It's like it's like I've been here for three hours and I have to pee and my and and my my brain is about to depend. Yeah really ah no, No, they're just the stress of being in crowded situations and being being the center of attention.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Again, that's that's the autistic thing. Uh. You know, I can I can go up on on a stage if I have a role to play or whatever, like you know, most performances, they they love the blows. The blows, you know, it's like the attention from an audience.
Speaker 1: So you don't get into voice over to to have everybody staring at you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just so uncomfortable.
Speaker 18: It's like like, yeah, I gave well paid no attention to that man behind the curtain. As I'm the character, the great and powerful character.
Speaker 2: I'm not this little nerdy geek from from the San Fernando Valley.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, shall we give them your address to Yeah we're just kidding.
Speaker 2: They find it.
Speaker 1: I'm kidding. Yeah, Well, thank you, my friend, but.
Speaker 2: Thank you anyway, but but you know, I'll do D twenty three. I love doing panels. Yeah, but then I then I have to I have to escape because there you go, it's rough on the old boy.
Speaker 1: No you know, yeah, no problem, you're.
Speaker 2: You know, you're neuroses and whatever, piccadillos, whatever get worse with age, and it's like, yeah and more and more just I usually want to be left alone or or at play with with you great folks, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is just like I said, well, we really really appreciate you being here. Thank you for we got to do it again. Sometimes we've had multiple guests on that have come on twice, and you know, it's fun to catch up and see and everything like that.
Speaker 2: And I always feel a little guilty. It's like tea, you know, I didn't really necessarily accomplish and answer questions and shed light on.
Speaker 3: It's all the quality of the conversation. That's that's the goal.
Speaker 2: But you know, the main thing. And pardon me for being a little too abuliant. I mean I should shut up and listen a little bit more. But I knew that it would just be absolutely thrilling and delightful as it has been, as it always is well, thanks, just hanging out.
Speaker 1: Thanks, I mean, of course, just hang out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And we're not the fans like the most too. This is just the like authenticity.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is just us naturally. We we're not we're not we're not performing anything is this is this is the way we are, you know, when we meet in the lobby, this is the way we are there we go, this is what we talk about. And and I could just go on forever. I just thank you and you know, us US wish people, we use the British people in the world. There's no no brag, just fact. I don't remember who said that.
Speaker 1: Walter Brennan the guns of Wilson, but I could be wrong. I'm not anyway, thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, my CIOs.
Speaker 3: All right, everybody, that was another episode of Tuned In with Jim Cummings. I hope you were paying attention. That was a good one. We were joined today by Corey Burton. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: Corey.
Speaker 3: Thank once again, Brenda Dando as always, thank you, Chris and Jim Cummings. Of course we will see you in the next one. Don't forget to like and subscribe. Remember you can find this podcast anywhere you listen to podcasts, and of course there's bonus content on Patreon, which has a lot more coming up. We have Andy Serkis coming up. We have a whole bunch of great guests coming up for you, so stay tuned and we will see you in the next one. Thanks again, thank you,