Speaker 1: This is Dan Caples and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download, and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform. Probably fighting, we're winning. That's fun too, right five oh five, On this glorious Friday afternoon before Mother's Day, I think we're going to have ryan probably the nicest Mother's Day weekend we have in decades. Eighty tomorrow, just sunshine straight through cloud or two on Mother's Day Hive eighty four, Monday eighty six. Maybe a couple of clouds doesn't look like anything funky at all next week, So hey, spring U sprong, let's enjoy it at some point during this hour. In fact, let's just start it now, throwing calls whenever you'd like. On this we do it the Friday before every Mother's Day show. We should probably do it every day. And that is the best advice your mother ever gave you, because it's amazing, right that we have such collective wisdom within our audience. When you think of all the people on our audience and so all the people who had mothers and all of the wisdom from those mothers, and then our callers boil it down to maybe, you know, the top gem that they got from their mother, or maybe the top two. So it's a really fun and helpful show each year when we do that. So fire it will or you can taxt d an five seven seven three nine three or three someone three eight two five five. I'm kind of a throwback. I love the callers, but one way or the other, we'll get your mama's wisdom onto the show. And my mom had so much I just don't want to hog the at on this. She just had so much great wisdom. And my dad too, of course, right, but boy, and my mom was she could have been anything, CEO of anything. She she decided to stay home with us, and so we got that wisdom from her all the time, sometimes accompanied by a uh, you know, some firm physical encouragement. But boy, what a devoted mom, all right, he three or three someone three eight two five five text D five seven seven three nine. And a great one is I go to the phone lines and text, hey, we're talking a lot about you know, we're learning more and more about the Pope. We talked about a lot yesterday and just more and more reason to believe that what I said yesterday is true and what I felt, and I really I'm sure you the same way. I just truly trust and rely on my intuition. And it's not perfect, because no human's perfect, but it's better than anything else, and it's really good. And so I just have this overpowering feeling that this pope is going to be one of the superstar popes, you know, the John Paul the Great kind of popes, and they'll only be one John Paul the Great. But I think this pope, I think he's going to be. I think he's going to be a courageous, energetic, plane spoken bridge peacemaker. I think he's perfectly positioned to as my uncle said, father Roger capitalist priest for sixty seven years in Chicago, still doing multiple masses a week. He joined us at four twenty. You can him off the pod. This is kind of a perfect pope to serve as a bridge between different factions while at the same time not being milk toast. And yeah, I think there are great things that had there. And even if you don't have any faith, no matter of different faith, the world is still greatly affected by a great pope, and I think we got one here, Dan and Arvada. You're on the dan kaplosh'll welcome.
Speaker 2: Hey, Dan, I really enjoy listening to you debate people that have different facts than yours. Oh, the last color Warren, the last color Warren. Absolutely when you flate him on the facts, then he diverted and deflected to the Mexico border. Why didn't you Why didn't Ukraine or Russia invade Ukraine during Trump You pretty much didn't have an answer, and it was just hilarious to listen to him.
Speaker 1: Oh, let's talk about Mexico now. And you know the thing about Warrantine just a quick note, because he's called before. There's no doubt in my mind about ther masarity of his belief and he just really believes that that Russia had a right to be concerned about Ukraine. And I will just always come back to the point that that that doesn't justify rape and pillage, it doesn't justify the invasion. And listen, I'm sure trying. And I don't fault. I don't fault to Russian people. I just think Vladimir Putin is one of the most evil men to ever live.
Speaker 2: You're right, You're right, have a good weekend.
Speaker 1: Hey you two man, thank you, have a great Mother's Day weekend. And best advice for mom. I just want to throw one out there to sort of get it going. There's so much good advice, but to me, I'll just start kind of with the clock, right, just like when the first thing woke up in the morning. She would always say, first thing, when you wake up in the morning, think of the five things you're eight full four and the five things you're looking for to that day. And that was just such a tremendous habit to get into, right, because it's you know people. It didn't Lincoln say, Ryan, you're up on all this dead president's stuff. Didn't Lincoln say that people are as happy as they decide to be. So it's what you And this is a Tony Robbins thing now, right, He's made his bones on this. What are you going to focus on? Like right now, Ryan Schuling could probably think of five things to focus on to make them happy or no matter how well your day's going, five things you could focus on to make you sad. Yeah, Well, and you've got Alexa, so that's yeah, not that you wouldn't be happy with Kelly.
Speaker 3: Right, but Alex is a nice bonus. Yeah, well Kelly can't make it.
Speaker 1: But but yeah, so I just think that was great advice from my mom. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: My mom was more kind of practical, street smart type stuff, and she was great at.
Speaker 1: It, like hit him in the Adams Eppo, not like.
Speaker 3: On the streets. I mean she was from River Rouge. I wasn't tough down over Detroit. But one of the ones that I've used in my life and it's worked almost every time, is you go into a car dealership and they're trying to sell you a car, and they give you a price, walk out, just leave, just leave, and milk call back his darn toot. And she was absolutely right, Oh, we can do something else for you. Oh why couldn't you do that when I was there before? Wow, that was another day that's impressed. Oh yeah that you know.
Speaker 1: One of the most powerful memories of my mom is we're at seventy six oh five South Aberdeen, heart of the South Side of Chicago. The neighborhood is is it's changing, it's changing racially, and there's a lot of racial tension, and we're just a summer night we're all out in front of my dad's working swings, so he's not there, all the kids playing out in front, and then all of a sudden, bang bang bang bang bang, and they're just bullets slamming off the house and my mom just as calm as she could be. Okay, kids, time to go in, and just it just kind of hurts us into the house, bang in, big big bang, and he's just incredibly calm. And yeah, she was just amazing. And that's why you hear it. My uncle when he joined us at four twenty. Just the strengths, you know what I mean, Just the strength that I'm not saying Chicago's the only place you have strong people, but just growing up there and my uncle a priests there for sixty seven years. The weather will make you strong if nothing else. You guys, spend any time in Chicago, Oh yeah, lots of time. When I came out here, it took me like an hour to say, literally, thank you God, I have gone to heaven. When you come out here and you got the weather and you got the beauty, who would ever come here and leave? Eh? It's a good question.
Speaker 3: And what I was wondering too, and listening to your phenomenal uncle. Again that he is ninety three. There are listeners that are texting in that still don't believe that either. Oh man, But just what his relationship was like with your father?
Speaker 1: They were brothers, right, oh yeah, yeah, yeah? Yeah? Were they close? Oh yeah? But competitive in the sense that I mean my dad was a star athlete. He played it to Paul under ray Meyer. I mean he played big time college basketball and went to Leo and was a star there. And father Raj was a super star priest. I mean, like he was before this became a thing. Man, he was the CBS commentator. So I can't remember which pope, but he was one of the first priest to ever be on TV doing color commentary for religious stuff. Wow. Yeah, No, he was super star priest and he still is. They still pack the church for him. He's incredible. And you know what the you know one thing he does great, I mean the homilyes thing seven minutes, but it's brilliant. It's one point tells a joke gets out of there, but he gives people an important message.
Speaker 3: Less is more and brevity is the soul of wit.
Speaker 1: Well, there's no question about it. It's the danger of diffusion. Right, you got a good point to make. Rian's very good at this in a show. He does a great show two to four in the Denver market each day. But you got a great point to make. Make the darn point and get out of there. Don't don't diffuse the value of the point, making three or four other points the way I do. You know, Just just make your good point, get out of there. It's uh, yeah, he's very good at that as a priest, and he was great at our wedding. He was great at our wedding too. It was very very privileged that he was there. And Cardinal Stafford then an archbishop, and man, I'm going to get Thierry here with all these great memories three or three someone three eight two five five text d A N five seven seven three nine. I really want to get start getting some of those best advice your mom ever gave you. Alexa just gave us one. Be brilliant, be brief, be gone. And what context was that offered when you're speaking speaking to the c suite of executives. Yeah, you just say what you need to say. Yeah, make a brilliant point, keep it short and leave.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: That is such a great point. It's like a priest when I was in the seminary told me, which is always leave him wanting more. I thought it was a great point. It might be some situations that doesn't apply to, but it applies to almost every Maybe it applies to everything. Dan, my mom used to say, be careful what you wish for. There's some truth in that, I guess, depending on what you're wishing for. So, hey, we want to come back, and we'll continue with hot sound. I do promise I spaced it. I'll deliver when we come back, the single greatest nine to one one call you've ever heard. I don't think anybody will disagree with that once they hear it. It's going to introduce a new phrase into pop culture. And then we'll just do a whole bunch of best advice your mother ever gave you. Three or three someone three eight two five five text d A N five seven seven three nine And now back to the Dan Kaplas Show podcast.
Speaker 4: A man should not play sports against women. I'm not going to get into all the book that's going on out here in the world today. If anybody think that, I think they're stupid. I'm not, like I said, I support the gay community one hundred percent. I support the transgender community one hundred percent. But I do, not, under any circumstances on zero think that men should play sports against women. And if anybody have a problem with that, they're gonna have to get over it, because I'm not going to change my I'm not going to change I just think is wrong period.
Speaker 1: How can anybody argue with that? Right? And I sure hope whoever the GOP nominee is for governor in Colorado, for Senator in Colorado, they better pound that issue home and because it's a great way of exposing their opponent and who their opponent really is. Simple, Okay, should men play women's sports? Should boys play girl sports? Should boys be in girls' locker rooms? Should boys be in girls showers? I mean, just expose the opponent that way, right, because this is one hundred to zero issue when just thinking about right and wrong. But the Democrat candidates won't be able to break from the insane position that the Democratic parties committed to. So I sure hope, I sure hope that has hit very.
Speaker 3: Hard even the way Charles said it. Though Dan I mentioned this on my program earlier because I was sitting there listening to him, and I agree. But the pro trans women in Women's Spaces and sports movement would say, of course Charles is right, men shouldn't, but trans women are women and they should be allowed to participate in the sports and enter the spaces and change in the locker rooms where women are because that's how identify they identify and their women.
Speaker 1: Is there one person on the face of the other stupid enough to believe that. I think a lot of people believe that. Oh they don't. I mean to look at the overwhelming success of the Trump ady. Why do you think they spend one hundred and eighty million dollars on it? Right? I mean, why would they have? That was the most effective political ad in our lifetimes?
Speaker 3: Granted, Dan, why did thirteen twelve just pass the Colorado General Assembly?
Speaker 1: Because the General Assembly doesn't give a darn what the people of Colorado think or want. I'm being literal here. They don't Ryan, right, they think they're politically bulletproof, then why do they do it though?
Speaker 3: I mean, just to flaunt that fact that we're politically bullet for so we'll do the craziest blank ever and get away with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Because all the big money in the Democratic Party now, and a lot of it's national money, but also some Colorado money is on the hardcore radical secular left. That's where the big money's coming from. So the attitude of Colorado Democrats is that if you win the primary, you're going to win the race, and the money to win the primary is going to come from these hardcore radical secular leftists, most of them national, and so that's why they're doing all this insane stuff. And look at Mike Johnston. He used to be saying he used to so we disagreed about plenty of things, but he used to be saying, he'd come on the show all the time, we'd have these conversations. And now look at the guy. You can't even recognize him intellectually. I mean, his hair still realize, and he's got that going for him, but you can't even recognize him just all this insane, crazy stuff. Doesn't he start speeches now saying he could be talking about four people just had their heads cut off on the mall, and he'll start the speech with I stand here recognizing we're on hollow ground that at one point was owned by the Eskimos. I mean that's what he does.
Speaker 3: I just couldn't believe. Maybe I should have believed it, Dan, But to your point, when he held that mini press conference on the sixteenth Street mall after the flight attendant woman had been stabbed, lord death and he was talking about fat.
Speaker 1: Lap oh, he was doing a victory lap just yards from where she almost hit her hut head cut off. Unreal but in all fairness, the greatest performance ever by a signer, right, remember that, because because Johnston rolled out the signer who could sign for deaf people. And then when a heckler came by walking down the mall calling Johnston every name in the book, much of it very accurate, the signer, God love him, he just signed all that he made, the face he made the faces, he signed the names. And I never even knew you could sign some of those swear words. But hey, I promised this, and you can imagine what those signs look like. But this is the greatest nine to one one call you will ever hear. And then we're doing the best advice your mother ever gave you. Text at DA N five seven seventy three nine er call, greatest nine to one one call ever. This nine one one call raise some eyebrows. Nine, what's your emergency?
Speaker 3: Yeah, my wat got attacked by a warthog.
Speaker 2: Real bad and I need someone to come up with ambulance and pick her up.
Speaker 1: Okay, sir, can you give me your draft?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, we're at one eight two five eucalyptus drive.
Speaker 5: Okay, could you spell that for me?
Speaker 1: Sir?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna drag her on over to Oak Street and you can.
Speaker 5: Pick her up there.
Speaker 1: That's that's gonna become the new response anytime anybody doesn't know the answer to something. I don't fault him. I couldn't spell that word, but yeah, I'll just drag her over to Oak Oak minutes and the wardhog thing. I think that's a pretty rare injury. Yeah out, Yeah, best advice my mom. Here's one best advice my mom ever gave me. Girl, Once you start having children, you better eat while you're cooking because that's the last hot meal you'll ever have. That's good practical advice. He got it like that, Dan, My mom always told me never worry about things you can't control. That's pretty darn good advice too, So yeah, I want to hear from me on that. Plus, you can call us the old fashioned waight three oh three someone three eight two five five the number amazing. I just saw yeah, because when my uncle was on, Father Roger Caplis, he was on to talk about the new Pope because father Ogi's been a priest in Chicago sixty seven years. He made a comment about, yeah, you know that there's about the Pope being at the Socks game. And during the break, I was watching Ryan What are the odds? Game? One of that two thousand and five World Series Socks Astros. They do one of those crowd cuts and they zero in on him and he wasn't in a collar or anything. He was just in the stands watching the game. What are the odds they would zero in on him? That's great. So I think that answers the question. He is a Socks fan, but virtually every Southsider is right.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, they're honest about it. But you know, it's really hard to be a white Sox fan these days. The only team worse than them is the Rockies.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But the funny thing for us was because my dad, we were Southsiders, I mean literal Southsiders, and then Southwest went aside. When my dad he was working swings right. So he was working four to twelve for Chicago Police, so he would take us to Wrigley Field in the morning because Socks played at night, Cubs played during the day, so he'd come home from work about midnight, get up early, take us down there. In the summer, we'd get in line about seven in the morning for bleacher seats, first come, first serve, and then they'd open the gates. We'd all scramble down so we could sit in the row. And so we really became Cubs fans. We went to both parks, but just because of his work schedule. But yeah, I don't think there was ever a doubt the Pope was a Socks fan. He just being on the South Side. Hey, I want to hear the best advice your mother ever gave you. Three or three someone three eight two five five text d A N five seven seven three nine. You're listening to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast. Other's day three or three someone three eight two five five The number of text d A N five seven seven three nine. The danger on the show is that just want to talk about my mom, right, because I'm sure it's the same with you, and my mom's been in heaven for quite a while now two thousand and one. But but but it's like it happened yesterday, right, I mean, and I'm sure you have the same bright pictures in your mind and you can hear these words ringing and yeah, what a gift. I can't even imagine, my friend. And it is heartbreaking me to think of folks out there who lost their mom or for whatever reason, didn't have their mom and because truly, I cannot even imagine where I'd be or what I'd be if I didn't have that. So for folks who didn't have it, you know, I just admire the heck out of them for anything they accomplished, because without her, I mean, and I add to you know, it's just a double lottery win with my two parents. Three or three someone three eight two five five takes d a N five seven seven three nine do. I mean, I don't know that this fits the Mother's Day theme. But Rodney Dangerfield on a Friday, tough to beat.
Speaker 5: I tell you, I'm all right now. Well, last week go was our rough shape. You know. Last week I told my wife, you need a home improvement loan. She had me one thousand dollars to move out I'll tell you my wife, there's always something you know. Well, the other day I called her up. I said to well, honey, I've been think about last time we had sex. I'm getting excited. She said, who is this. I'll tell you, my wife. You never went for me. But the first time I called her up, she told me kim ono. But there's nobody at home.
Speaker 1: I went over.
Speaker 5: There was nobody at home. My wife. She drives me nuts. She was afraid of the dog she saw me naked. Now she's afraid of the light. I'll tell you that's all I felt.
Speaker 1: Is there like Robney Dangerfield equivalent right now? I'm I mean he thinks of him.
Speaker 3: No, he's one of the games, the original, the one liner guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, I.
Speaker 5: Say, Actually, I shouldn't tell jokes about my wife. I mean she's attached to a machine that keeps her alive, the refrigerator. I'm gonna tell you my wife. She can't cook either. My house, you pray after we eat. I bought a pressure cooker. Now I eat off the ceiling allows he cook. I don't think meat loaf should glow on a dog.
Speaker 1: I mean she can't cook it all.
Speaker 5: She made chocolate moose and that I got stuck on my throat.
Speaker 1: Oh man, yeah, three and three someone three eight, two, five, five takes d D five seven, seventh or nine. I can't relate to that, right, I mean I just and I was just thinking about that as he was playing. I mean, how incredibly lucky I him because the two big women and my wife, right, I have three. I have my mom perfect, my wife perfect, my daughter perfect. That's that's a big deal. Can you imagine being married to the wrong person?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Can you imagine what you had to be?
Speaker 3: Like? You cannot, but you can not trifecta like you said, three different generations?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, your your wife, your daughter both h three to three. But but I mean, truly, can you imagine being married to the wrong person? It would be a nightmare. I mean kind of like that.
Speaker 3: Being well, Rodney Dangerfield just talked about it, but he was just joking around.
Speaker 1: Was he even married? Because Rodney Dangerfield story, did I tell you?
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, he's I'll tell the listener he was married.
Speaker 1: I think he was a few times. Man, it wasn't that night, No, yeah, maybe not. No, I was I was going out on a cheta case in California, December twenty seventh, and it was brutal weather out of Chicago, and I'd been back to see family, so I get stuck. They got in Vegas, and I'm checking into the Tropicana at like three in the morning, and then I've got an early morning flight to my meeting in LA and I round a corner in the trap and there's Rodney Dangerfield, And honest to goodness, he's doing the thing with his tie, you know where, he's shaking it around and he's hitting on a cocktail waitress. Just this is Surrey. How about this?
Speaker 3: For those details, He was married twice, but married to his first wife two different times, Joyce Indig. He was married in nineteen fifty one to this Joyce, divorce in sixty one, remarried her in sixty three, two years later, divorce a second time nineteen seventy, and then married a woman named Joan Child in nineteen ninety three ninety.
Speaker 1: Three, Dan, So what year did you encounter him? You remember for a second, Oh, I should be able to remember this, yes, roughly, thing for a second, Just need a second on that. No, late eighties, but then he was a swinging single guy that late eighties Okay, yeah, yeah, well yeah he was that night. Good for him. But truly, I mean, I've just I've got to sit here and extend my sympathies to anybody man or woman in a bad marriage, because I cannot even imagine what that would be like. And I say this just from a very positive place. I mean, we're going on thirty one years of tremendous marriage, and wow, how do we get off on that? We start talking about Mother's Day and others? Yeah, right, right, and how fortunate I was to have such a great mom and see, yeah, give us the best advice your mother ever gave you. I've I've got a bunch more where all that came from. But well, we've been talking a lot about the New Pope. I hope if you get a chance to hear the podcast. My uncle father, Roger, capitalist Catholic priests from Chicago, was with us in the four to twenty segment, and he's been a priest sixty seven years. Back there and getting his perspective on the new Pope was a lot of fun. But my quick take is, you know, yesterday tremendous positivity. Everything I learned overnight even more positive today. So whether you believe in God or not, whether you're Christian, Catholic, whatever. A really good pope is really good for the world. And boy, I think we've got one right here, and a bridge builder, because you can have right Ryan, you can have bridge builders who are just kind of milk toast and that sort of thing. They just don't offend anybody. I don't think he's going to be one of those. I think he's going to be high energy, plane spoken, but still able to build bridges in lots of different ways for lots of different reasons. So I think there are great things that head there. Boys. Some more best advice your mama ever gave you. Some of these are a little too long. What's yours? Alexa? Alexa? For Kelly today? I think it was when people show you who they are believe. Yeah, yeah, I remember vividly. For some reason, guys, my mom telling me, don't do anything for the approval of others. Just don't depend on the approval of others for your happiness. Do the right thing, right, Just don't depend on the approval of others for your happiness. I just yeah, for some reason, that one really sticks out to me, and it's very true, right, I mean, yeah, you look at all the people who end up just doing the wrong thing or doing nothing at all just because they're afraid of disapproval. And we're all human, right, yeah, we all want everybody to approve of what we do. But if you don't have any enemies, you're kind of a waste of space, aren't you.
Speaker 3: Well, And if you live your life to your mom's point trying to please others, you're never going to please everybody. So you got to have your own north star and follow your true instincts and beliefs and principles, and that'll be good enough for a lot of people, and maybe some others it's not. But you got to live according to your values. And I think that was kind of a shorter way her way of saying that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, other great advice, And I'm sure everybody, I'm sure is thinking of a million different things their mom told them that was great, But for some reason these stick out to me. I remember when I was a little kid, she said, you know, just just treat Jesus as one of your buddies, Like, just treat them as like one of your buddies. You're out playing in the alley with and I just always remember that, and I thought it was great advice, right because it's just a I think it's a great way to just bring it home what it's, what's real, and what it's supposed to be. So yeah, three someone three eight two five five the number text d A N five seven seven three nine. I hope I have time for this, because I could sit here and play this all afternoon and be a very happy guy. The single best nine to one one call I have ever heard this nine one one call. Raise some myebross. What's your emergency?
Speaker 3: Yeah, my watch got attacked by a warthog, real.
Speaker 2: Bag, and I need someone to come up with ambulance and pick her up.
Speaker 5: Okay, sir, can you give me your draft?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're at one eight two five Eucalyptus drive.
Speaker 1: Okay, could you spell that for me, sir?
Speaker 6: I'm gonna drag her on over to Oak.
Speaker 3: Street and you can pick her up there.
Speaker 1: I couldn't spell that street. Could you spell that street? I need some time. I'd say the same thing. You know, I'm gonna drive her over to Oak I guess he said drag I'd probably say I'll carry her over to Oak But yeah, so that's gonna be it from now on. Anytime anybody asked me a question, I don't know the answer to it. I'm just gonna drag her oak three three, seveone, three eight, two, five five give it to us the best advice your mother ever gave you. You're on the Dan Capla Show.
Speaker 3: And now back to the Dan Kaplas Show podcast.
Speaker 5: I'm a little concerned about this choice for the LGBTQ plus community.
Speaker 1: In twenty twelve, he gave an address to bishops and talking about the new pope. Why would you be concerned for the LGBTQ plus community. Why would that concern you? Because listen, this is a pope who is going to speak the truth to all of us about where we are falling short of church teaching. Should he hold back for any of us? And if so, why see that that's just a thinking of the world. And what I think Sonny Hosten doesn't get is that that pope a Catholic priest. Catholics in general, we're all mail men and male women. We're postal carriers. We can't change the content of the male We're just supposed to carry it. So she wants this pope, then to decide. Okay, No, I'm not going to speak the truth about church teaching to Dan because I don't want to offend him where he's falling short or to the LGBTQ plus community. No, that's that's just kind of worldly thinking. Three or three seven three A two five five the number text d An five seven seven th nine. One of our favorite segments. We talk about best advice your mama ever gave you, Timothy from Beautiful Cheyenne. You're on the Dan Kaplis Show. Welcome.
Speaker 6: Oh, thank you, Dan, I appreciate it. He listened to this real quick story about my mom and I grew up Catholic. When I was in high school, I started hanging out with some guy as they smoked, so I started smoking. Mom asked me about the smell of my clothes and I denied it, you know that kind of thing. Then I came clean and said, yeah, mom, but I'm trying to quick and she said, you remember, Timothy, tell me who your friends are, and I'll tell you what you are.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 6: If you're a smoker, if you hang out with smoker friends, good, you're a smoker. If you're hang out with people that drink, you're a drinker and so on, So that really stuck with me.
Speaker 1: That is so good man, Thank you, Timothy. You were lucky to have a mom that great.
Speaker 5: Ryan.
Speaker 1: I remember coming home from remember coming home from where I think I was a college freshman and I was an Evans Scholar, and so we were working the Western Open out at Butler and during the summer, and so because that tournament benefited the Evan Scholar Foundation, golf caddies sink at the movie Caddyshack, and so i'm I go home. I'd had a couple of like, do you remember paps? Do you ever drink paps? Sure? Okay? Packs? Blue ribbon, yeah, kind of like hams from the Land of Sky Blue Waters. But anyway, I'd had a couple and not a big drinker, never was. But I came home and I couldn't stop laughing because my mom was trying to find out if I'd been drinking. Couldn't stop laughing, And then I remember her yelling at me, I did not raise my son to be a beer drinking giggler. And that just stuck in my mind for my whole life. I didn't raise my son to be a beer drinking giggler. But it's better or worse than a giggling beer.
Speaker 3: Drinker, a beer drinking giggle.
Speaker 1: That's a beer drinking giggler. And you can imagine I stopped giggling right then I would laughed. I did. A dead man would have giggled at that, but which did not help my plight at that point. Sure did not. But that's what great moms do, right, I mean, they they just they want to keep you on the straight and narrow. I don't know how many times she said to me, you're better than that, you're a capitalist. Yeah, I'm sure you heard the same thing. Probably everybody has. Right, you're better than that, you're a shooling. She wasn't all about the last name. But yeah, you're better than that, you better be. You'm going to hear it from her, yeah, yeah, yeah, no. But she was a fighter, man. I remember I got falsely accused in fifth or sixth grade and taken to the convent and had to stay in the convent all day. In fact, I got tied up. Somebody had written Michelle Hanrahan as a Michelle is a sex pot on Michelle Hanrahan's book cover Scandalous. Fifth grade, so I got I was falsely accused, and then I got tied up. I got tied to a chair in the front of the classroom, blindfolded. Made a tactical error because when Michelle came walking by, I grabbed a pen and jabbed during the leg. So anyway, I get taken to the convent, and I'm to stay in the convent, and they called up my mom, and I'll never forget. She comes up into the convent. She said, Dan, did you do it? Talking about writing that thing about Michelle being a sexpot. We didn't get into the staff, Dan, did you do that? I said, no, I did not. I remember looking sister right in the eye and saying, my son would not lie. My son didn't do that. I'm taking him home. And so I've always appreciated her standing up for me because I did not do it. I did not do it. I don't blame sister. She had every reason to suspect I would have. But yeah, so all of us who had great moms couldn't be more grateful for it. And yeah, we'll have to get to some more of this advice in the next show. Here's a great one best advice my mom gave me at the end of your life. You will regret the things you did not do, not the things you did. What is the one thing Ryan? I mean, because none of us want to die with what ifs? Right? What is the one thing you want to make sure you do before you meet your maker? Wow? Travel internationally.
Speaker 3: I've only been in North America in my life.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say world peace. I want to go to Ireland. You're at your home country. Oh you would enjoy that and they would enjoy you. Yeah, I think they would. I hope they would. That would be a good time, Alexai. Thanks for filling in today. Thanks for that. Hey, it's going to be I think like the most spectacular Mother's Day weekend ever. Eighties both days. I just bright blue sky, enjoy every minute. Nuggets game tonight. Can't wait because they're Manhood's at steak. They've been called out, so we're going to get their best tonight. Looking forward to that. Let's get together Monday at four on the dan Kapla shelf