Speaker 1: Make us the number one preset on your car radio and on the free, new and improved iHeartRadio app. Listen for all your music radio and podcast free.
Speaker 2: Never sounded so good one three one Austin dot com.
Speaker 3: Be sure to grab the podcast version of the show on the iHeartRadio app just search JB and Sandy.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 3: Coming up at nine o'clock, We've got a chance for you to win one thousand dollars on Austin's eighties station one o three point one. JB says, all right, Benson Boone, we've seen your flip.
Speaker 2: I've had it. Yeah, you've had it.
Speaker 3: For those who had it, Benson Boone is a yeah, you got a big, big hit right now.
Speaker 2: You may not know his name, but you do know this song.
Speaker 1: I want you on need to hold God Dune, take it up God.
Speaker 4: Flip flip flip like he's just flipping the whole song.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this cat shows up.
Speaker 1: I had heard his rumblings of his name for a while, and then I think it was on the Grammys.
Speaker 2: He performed yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And he came out in his I don't know he and he and what's his name? Clearly shot it. Who's the other guy that wears jumpsuits all the time. They shot at the same place.
Speaker 2: I don't know Adam Lambert, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Anyway, he's all blinged up in his jumpsuit and comes out at the Grammys and does a flip, and I was like, WHOA.
Speaker 5: Got your attention?
Speaker 2: Got me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a fan like this guy. Not only amazing voice, great stage presence and all this. Now I can't get away from seeing clips of him flipping. It's everywhere another Oh, another Bens boom flip. Oh, another Ben, some flip. Oh, here's he's flipping again. He's flipping again. It's like, enough with the flips. We get it, get it, we get it, and.
Speaker 2: You can you can flip off a piano.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, stop just stop. And he was just he was just at Coachella and flipping around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he did.
Speaker 1: He did Queen a Queen song comes out with the flip, and and it's going everywhere because Brian May comes up on a stage riser and does the guitar solo.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I'm like, okay, got it, you can do a flip. Okay, let's just keep our feet on the ground for a while. Do you think that Benson Boone.
Speaker 4: He's like, you, guys, I think maybe we gotta let the flip go, and his people are like, no, you gotta do the flip.
Speaker 5: That's how they know you.
Speaker 3: Here's what I'll say, Benson Boone is not thinking long term, not thinking long term with the flip in the rock and roll world, because at some point he's gonna get to an age where he can't do.
Speaker 2: The flip anymore. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, like guys like it's it's Pete Townsend was thinking ahead because he could do the the windmill guitar thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, who wife, he could be old and do that.
Speaker 2: I'd be old and do that, right right.
Speaker 1: So. But also, but Benson to your point too, he's not thinking ahead. You've got to use it sparingly. I'll give you an example. How crazy would you go if you when Michael Jackson did the moonwalk? Ah, yeah, because he used it very sparingly.
Speaker 2: He didn't do it every damn time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the big question was is he going to do it? So you'd be glued to the TV to see if he was going to do it, and when he didn't do it, it was such a bummer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you were glued to the TV.
Speaker 3: The next time, another rocket roller, not thinking long term, davidly rothes his.
Speaker 2: High kicks his kicks and it splits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at some point in your rocket roll life, you're not gonna be able to do that anymore.
Speaker 2: I'm just thinking you got to be planning way down the road for a start.
Speaker 4: So that makes me think that maybe Axel Rose planned down the road because he has that.
Speaker 5: Snake, but his feet never leave the ground.
Speaker 4: He just has to liz up robot do it till he's a hundred, could do it till nice good point.
Speaker 2: You know who I'm worried about though.
Speaker 1: Eventually Angus Young from a C D C. He's going to get into that duck walk. He's going he's to get back up that. That is going to be a broken hip, mark my words.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Angus I think is dead.
Speaker 5: The duck walk what got him?
Speaker 2: Didn't know that. I didn't know that. No, I take it back. He is alive. Oh okay, he is alive. I thought he was dead, but he's not.
Speaker 3: But that there's why I thought that, because death hoaxes about him have sir, But Angus is still out there doing it.
Speaker 2: I'll tull he did the duck walk for a long time. That's true. He actually did a much more treacherous duck walk.
Speaker 5: She got lower, He got low with his duck walk.
Speaker 1: You know who was thinking ahead to something that's easy to do as you age.
Speaker 2: That's signature, right.
Speaker 1: Picture Robert plant on stage, the way he would hold the microphone in one hand and hold the cable in the other. He just kind of whip it, like, kind of hold his arm out and whip it and just kind of stick his hips out in his chest.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kind of Kenny Rogers holding the microphone in one hand and the cord in the other.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now what about Pink Oh, I can't get enough of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when she's up there, starves her aerial stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that's amazing, right right.
Speaker 3: Steven Tyler thinking ahead, just having his guitar dressed like a pirate and covering his guitar stand covered in scarves and drapes.
Speaker 4: You want to know what I just found out about Steven Tyler and the scarves.
Speaker 2: He's a woman.
Speaker 4: No, His daughter Mia has written a book and she said the whole reason he started tying the star scarves to his microphone stand so he could hide his pills in the scarves and take him on stage live as he was playing when he back when he was super addicted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought he put all those scarves on the microphone to try to convince us that Stevie Nicks was standing right.
Speaker 5: There like a little light.
Speaker 1: Their airs one of the most signature moves of all time. Now we haven't talked about yet. Think about it. Think picture women screaming in the audience.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know who it is. You thought of it first, so you said, screaming losing their.
Speaker 1: Elvis Presley, Yeah, Elvis.
Speaker 5: Was he still shaking his hips at the end?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Was it more of just a little bump, not really trying? Someone was still trying.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've watched that last concert of his many times he was super sweaty.
Speaker 2: Where was that do you remember? It doesn't matter, it doesn't matter, but he was.
Speaker 1: It's funny when they talk about him, you know, big Elvis before he passed, he wasn't that big on today's standards.
Speaker 2: No, noot. Elvis won that fat exactly.
Speaker 5: By today standards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think, but just people remember him as there's a photo JB of Elvis.
Speaker 2: That Tricia has thoughts on. Tell everyone about that.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: There's this one photograph taken of him walking down the hall. There's two of his guys walking behind him. He is on this like purple jacket, has it buttoned but no shirt on underneath it, and he's like waving to somebody off to the side. And I think it's the most hottest photo of a human being ever taken in the history of photos. I'm looking for it right now and I'm going to send it to you because even our friends who play for the other team are like, damn.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 4: I was like, right, yeah, you find it, and I even look at him, damn right, It's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: It might be the best looking male ever till left. Did you Did you find it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: I'm still looking.
Speaker 1: Although have you ever had this This is a little slightly off topic, but sort of saying, Tricia, have you ever seen a painting or a sculpture of Jesus where it's a little too hot?
Speaker 5: Yeah? And then you feel like this is wrong something that.
Speaker 2: They made.
Speaker 1: The abs were just a little Hey, I believe he was cut, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Because he covered a lot of ground, he was he walked a lot, he got his steps, he did he did get his his fit bit was happy I found the picture.
Speaker 4: Okay, good, Oh, go ahead.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm just saying you I've seen a statue or a sculpture or two, or a painting where you go, dang, j.
Speaker 5: C, what's up?
Speaker 1: J C.
Speaker 4: Well, we're gonna get struck by lightning. And the truth is he looked nothing like he's portrayed.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting search what Jesus really looked like based on what.
Speaker 2: People come, let him be hot? Here you go, jam, here's that photo of Elvis. Okay, yeah, oh, I don't think I've seen this.
Speaker 5: Even if are doing something sexy and.
Speaker 1: The belt is not through the belt loops, it's like a woman would wear it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's yeah, that's pretty pimp. That's a handsome dude, right. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm just happy that it's not big top candy shops.
Speaker 1: It's just a matter of time the way Congress have and he's South Congress is changing. It's a matter of time before they're priced out.
Speaker 3: Another business apparently has been priced out and they are moving locations.
Speaker 1: Right yep, monkey see Monkey do is is closing up their South Congress store rent's too high because all these Foo Foo brands have moved in and priced them out. You know, it's it's frustrating because I live in the area. I'm on Congress Avenue every day, and we moved here for all the funky stores.
Speaker 2: Yeah we didn't. We didn't. We didn't move here to go to a Lululemon, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: You know what I hate the places that have names like plush or lash or luxure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a her Maize store.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if I'm saying that right.
Speaker 1: Just all that stuff has priced everybody out, and uh so they The good news is they've found a new location. You know that intersection at South Lamar and Manshak where it kind of splits off like a V.
Speaker 2: That's going to be the new spot. But you know, man, giving up.
Speaker 1: All that foot traffic that you have all the time on South Congress from all the tourists. Yeah, you don't like you don't, And I hope it works for him. But same thing with Big Top Candy Shop. You know, you don't always just leave the door with that as a destination your cruise in South Congress. You got the family with you, you stop for some ice cream, right, yeah, stop at Amy's, get an ice cream. Mom and dad have Margarita Aguero's. And then you're walking on down the street. The kids go into Monkey See Monkey Do, have a blast. You see the retro toys and stuff from your childhood. Then you go into Big Top, same thing.
Speaker 3: Same people, by the way, The same people that own Monkey See Monkey Do also own Big Top candy Shop.
Speaker 2: Oh is that right? So I don't know what that means.
Speaker 1: But yeah, man, I didn't know that, but man, I wish him the best.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Uncommon Objects bailed a few years ago. Lucy and the Sky has gone too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they retired that after forty some years. They hanging it up. But they were probably getting priced out too. Who took over their spot, the losing disguise spot? You know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: You up good question. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry. I thought I thought we had talked about it.
Speaker 2: I thought it was technic we had. I just don't recall.
Speaker 1: It's been such a shuffle on all of South Congress.
Speaker 2: I can't keep up. I got this from Caveu, by the way, they say.
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty four, Mikasa the Good Company and some Room sunn Room all shut down or move locations after seen. Listen to this, Triple digit rent increases in South Congress, triple digits increases.
Speaker 1: You know it won't it won't be the same family vibe for those kind of story.
Speaker 2: If it's all high end stuff, can.
Speaker 5: It end up being like an Arboreta.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I'm in a domain type showing area and that the Monkey place on sports wear is what replaced.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the Swiss shoe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're run for thirty eight years.
Speaker 3: It all started when they ran the hookers off of South Congress. Yeah, that was the beginning of the end of a retail business.
Speaker 5: Because now everybody wants to be down there.
Speaker 2: Now bring back the hookers.
Speaker 5: That should be our protest.
Speaker 2: Makes self kind of shady again, just makes the Congress sketch again. I'm all for it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Back in the good old days, you never knew what was going on, right, you know.
Speaker 1: We still do have the guys that will ride their horses up and down. Yeah, and then you know, pull it whenever they do it. They do it all quite often, but you'll see it all over socials like tourists going crazy. Take out they'll actually go up to Joe's Coffee on their horse and order and the tourists are like, cool, Oh my god, that's so Austin.
Speaker 3: There must be some old Texas law where it's still allowed. Right, let's do that. Let's just get some horses and do that. Oh yeah, somebody who never rides.
Speaker 4: Let's just get some horses on a street with a ton of people and that easy Clydesdale.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: So the earth Rumble.
Speaker 3: Covered wagon like like eighteen eighty three, cruise down.
Speaker 4: My friend Tasha used to work downtown and she looked out of her office window one December and down at the light at Fifth in Congress with somebody dressed as Santa on a horse waiting.
Speaker 2: Every year, yeah there, every year.
Speaker 5: She sent it and she's like, I finally saw him.
Speaker 2: Tricia, line up some horses, so we can do that.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'll get right on that.
Speaker 2: A few phone calls.
Speaker 4: I think I'd rather stand on the sign with the bring back the hookers on the corner with the sign.
Speaker 2: What you want to size? What did you say? JB? Make South Austin get shady again. I remember